Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years.
Speaker 2: We are continuing the party here on Dodger Talk after a great tour stop with Petro some money in Coastamasa at the van's headquarters. So we have Dodger Talk for you until seven o'clock tonight here on a five to seventy LA Sports Coming up. At the bottom of the hour, you will hear from the Dodger manager, Dave Roberts, and we'll get into what his life is like these days. And certainly a great day to have a Dodger Talk show for the fans, because the Dodgers certainly took a lot of you by surprise by designating for assignment, basically releasing veteran outfielder Jason Hayward today to activate Chris Taylor. And I have been telling you for the last two weeks, with Tommy Edman and Munsey coming off the IL, they were going to have to make somewhat tough decisions, and with Chris Taylor coming back and acquiring Kevin Kiermeyer, the Dodgers were going to have to make even a harder decision, and today we got which direction they went into. Now, I've been getting a lot of texts, a lot of tweets, very emotional fan base out there, and rightfully so, and I know the players in that clubhouse are very emotional right now. But I will say this, for the purpose of the show tonight, how about you make your argument for who would you keep Chris Taylor, Kevin Kiermeyer, Jason Hayward or Andy pah Has. You can only keep two of those four because Andy pa Has when the rosters expand, from what I've learned, is going to be called up when the rosters expand. And for me, are you really going to sacrifice a veteran presence like Jason Hayward. All we've heard about since last year and especially since the beginning of spring training is what kind of leader Jason Hayward is And if he is that leader, which he was, He's a very respected veteran in that clubhouse. He's not a raw, raw guy, but he has presence. And when guys have you know, some sort of issue, or are dealing with something or need to talk something through, Jason Hayward is a great sounding board if you've listened to the interviews we've done with Jason Hayward. I've told him before. I can understand why players come to you. I can understand why your teammates going back to Atlanta and Chicago have loved you so much. You could be my life coach any day. And basically, the Dodgers decided the production was not there, and they chose Chris Taylor, who has one more year left on his contract. If you were listening to Dodger to the last couple of nights, I told you they have to find a way to keep Kevin Kiermeier on this roster. My only question is, and maybe we'll get this answer tomorrow, why couldn't Chris Taylor wait until September first to come back? Talking to some people yesterday, they told me he's ready now. We can't make him wait anymore. So that was the predicament the Dodgers were in. But this was a really tough decision. I know Dave Roberts took it really hard that he had to be part of that conversation. After last night's game, that's when the Dodgers let Jason Hayward know that they were going this direction. I hope they didn't say we're going in a different direction, because that's the old cliche line when somebody gets fired, we're just going in another direction. It's not you, it's us. Hopefully they did not do that. But here we go eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We have three lines open and we are with you until seven o'clock. So this is what we're going to do. I'm Andrew Freeman. I got my sunglasses on, I got my big bottle of fancy water in my hand. You are going to tell me, you're going to make your argument why Jason Hayward should still be on this team. Eight six six nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Now, I know everybody is completely off the Chris Taylor bandwagon. I am not. He's an October player and before he heard his groin, his season was to turn around. In his last twenty six games, Chris Taylor was hitting two point fifty with an eight thirty ozh ps and striking out at a very surprising clip only twenty one percent. He was striking out in his last twenty six games for the average in the league. That's twenty four percent, So he was under the average as far as strikeout percentage goes, But when is Chris Taylor going to play? They have Keik a Hernandez who was having a great month of August until Max Mounsey returned. Where does Chris Taylor fit? You know, right now, I would still trust key a Hernandez more than Chris Taylor. I know he's said he's felt better at the plate, He's made some noticeable swing adjustments, but at this point, I'm still going as far as the depth chart goes, getting a start, maybe a pinch hit, I'm going with key k a Hernandez. So I'm not sure how Chris Taylor fits in or why it was important to have Chris Taylor. Right now, I feel like Jason Hayward and Kevin Kiermaier really fit this team better. And like I said, the human element to this this has sent ripple waves throughout the Dodger clubhouse. That's how beloved Jason Hayward was, And sometimes you have to give that more weight than hitting two oh three and really not doing much of anything this year as a pinch hitter, the role that would have had in the postseason, he was four for eight with two home runs. And seven RBIs, including the go ahead, pinch it three run home run a couple of nights ago against the Mariners that was ninety nine at the top of the zone. But if you're asking me strictly by the numbers, strictly as the player, who would I choose between Jason Hayward, Kevin Kiermeyer, and Chris Taylor, I'm sorry it would be Jason Hayward would be the odd man out in that situation. Kevin Kiermeyer brings way too much in a lot of different ways to the Dodgers. Chris Taylor is under contract for next year, so he's got to be on this roster. But if you're telling me I had to choose between Jason Hayward, Kevin Kiermeyer, Chris Taylor and Andy pie Has, I'm take you can't just look at the spreadsheet here, because that's not real life. Real life is how much Hayward is meant to a lot of guys in that clubhouse. First and foremost, his bestie, Freddie Freeman. Freddy's a pro. He's going to keep going, no doubt about it. But obviously Freddie and Jason had some sort of inclination. This was on the table because they really haven't had their normal usual life the last week or so. So that's where it's at, and we have a full boarder calls. Now when we continue here on Dodger Talk, I'm Andrew Friedman. You are making your pitch to me on why Jason Hayward still belongs on this roster. I've laid out why I believe he still does. This is basically the last man on the roster, and all of a sudden, now you've created some shock and awe in that clubhouse by letting him go. So here we go Dodger Talk. Dodger fans, it's your show. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, you'll hear my conversation with Dave Roberts. Dodger Talk with you until seven o'clock right here on five seventy. LA Sports have a day off tonight. They will be back in action at Dodgers Stadium tomorrow to open up a three game series against the Tampa Bay Rays. First pitch at seven to ten. Our coverage begins at six o'clock. Bobby Miller will be looking to get his season back on track against the Rays, and it will be without Jason Hayward. Who, in case you missed the news earlier today, was designated for assignment, basically released. And for anybody that's thinking he's going to clear waivers and tak an assignment to Oklahoma City, you're dreaming. And the reason why I feel like Jason Hayward and the Dodgers are done is when a team sends out a thank you tweet that's in twenty twenty four a pretty official sign that they have parted way. So sorry to break it to you, Jason Hayward is no longer a Dodger. The Dodgers opted for Kevin Kiermeyer, Chris Taylor, and eventually Andy pa Has on September first instead of Jason Hayward. So here we are Dodger Talk until seven o'clock. I want you to pitch me. I'm Andrew Friedman. I want you to pitch me on why Jason Hayward should still be a Dodger and maybe somebody else should not be on this roster. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to my hometown, Woodland Hills. John, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, David, I you know what. I love your show. As always, I I don't really understand why you were with Genie Buss at the Petelson Money Vance location today. I think Costa Mesa is close enough.
Speaker 2: Did you know what mentioned me? Genie mentioned me? I hope ja Orke did not get jealous with Genie mentioning me for the first time.
Speaker 3: She did not mention Magic Johnson for the first time in her whole life.
Speaker 2: So I'm not Magic Johnson.
Speaker 3: It was a productive no, but it was a yeah, you have a Johnson. So it's a fat.
Speaker 4: From Jamie.
Speaker 2: All right, john enough of all this to make I'm Andrew Freeman. Pitch me on why Jason Hayward should be on this roster or if you believe they made the right decision, let me know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, what we learned from this year as a Dodger fan is that Andrew Friedman has the best interests in mind of Dodger fans. Because we all thought the season was over two weeks ago, but now that months he's come back and Edmund is now in the lineup. Everybody knows that the Dodgers have a good shot of winning the World Series. So what does a two to oh four hitter have to do with the equation. Absolutely nothing. Somebody that's batting two to oh four, no matter how much influence he has in the clubhouse, does not have an impact on the Dodgers and where they might end up with a World Series or not. So I respect the decision. I think it was the right decision. I do have a problem with Chris Taylor because I hope that they're gonna designate him for assignment and they might pick up or Schelle or somebody that might be dropped off from another team in the near future. I mean, that's what's gonna happen, right, I mean, you just can't.
Speaker 2: Play fantasy baseball here.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 2: We're at the stage of the season here where you're gonna start gelling as a group, and the Dodgers were starting to jel as a group now all of a sudden, but you're Andrew Freeman. You're gonna start bringing in these different guys. And you know, to me, that's fine when you're playing fantasy baseball and Woodland Hills at TGI Fridays, But that's not the real world in a baseball CLUBHOUSEGI Friday is closed years ago. I'm aware. I gotta move on. We got a full board. We could talk Woodland Hills places all day. Call me back, all right, Johnny made a good point eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. All right, john has taking the emotion out of it. And it's one thing to say you agree with it. Because Jason Hayward's ops was only six't eighty two. He had ample opportunity to really play every day while Mookie Betts was on the IL and basically the Dodgers were bare bones. But I've been in baseball clubhouses before. It's not just about your ops. It's about what you mean to that room. And you can't tell us one day, or for a full year, how much Jason Hayward means to everybody. And then all of a sudden, you're in a roster crunch and you designate him for assignment that you can't. That just doesn't add up. And that's why I think all of us are having a hard time wrapping our head around it. Let's go out to Bellflower, Gilbert, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Gilbert?
Speaker 1: Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 3: David?
Speaker 1: Thanks taking my call, so I was calling in for what you came back to the commercial. From as far as you know, them bringing him back if he clears waivers and they don't outrighte him to OKAC right because as of today, right, people are wondering why did they do it today? Well, today is a twenty second. Ten days from now is August thirty first, meaning that September first, Right, if everything goes per planned, they can bring them back and put them back on the forty man roster.
Speaker 2: But that's not happening.
Speaker 1: It's not happening. Well, it's not not happening. He probably won't not happen.
Speaker 2: He's not taking an assignment to Oklahoma City. And like I said, Gilbert, when a team tweets out a thank you goodbye, I think that's a sign to all of us that Jason Hayward has decided he would not take an assignment to Oklahoma City and he wouldn't go on to il with some sort of back issue that he's been dealing with all season. And Chris Taylor obviously did not want to wait nine more days to be activated. So yeah, sorry, he's not coming back. Does that change your opinion?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah again here here in your what your comment was when you came back and commercially does but I mean it it's ten days, right, I said, does he have to go to OKC or he can just stay?
Speaker 2: Would he would? He would say yes, I'll take an assignment there, or no, give me my outright release. And he's not going to Oklahoma City. Gilbert, all right, this guy's made hundreds of millions of dollars. He's not going to Oklahoma City for Andy Paez and Chris Taylor. Do you think Jason Hayward is feeling really generous these days?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, he's no.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the phone call. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. And here's another example and a lesson to all of you down the road. When you start criticizing players for not having loyalty to any sports team that you love, remember this. There's not a lot of loyalty these days in professional sports. Today's a great example of that. Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Jim in San Diego. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Jim David?
Speaker 6: What a privilege to talk to you, man. You are the Dodger insider.
Speaker 2: I love it, Thank you, Jim. I appreciate it. It's an honor to speak to you.
Speaker 6: I hate this move for all the reasons you outlined. And I also think that from a player's standpoint, and I'm shooting in the dark, that they at this point in the season, that the clubhouse would respect Jason more than Chris. And I've been and I don't I think I mean, sorry, mister Friedman, I think that that you don't need Chris Taylor. He you don't need a jack of all trades. You have Tommy Now that can do that in Kermeyer, who can start in center field. Keep Jason on your bench role. He's been lighting it up and he gives you a left handed bath that can go yard at any time. So and it seems like he's found his groove. Not to mention all the intangles about the older, mature, more respected player in the locker.
Speaker 2: Room, let me ask you a question, Jim, and I appreciate you role playing the way I asked. And you don't have to call I don't think anybody on Andrew Freeman's staff calls a mister Friedman, but I will say this, Does this send a message to everybody that it's really not about you know, it's more about the numbers in production than anything else. And I think we all understand that, right because, like I said, if it's up to me and you put a gun to my head and you said, who are you letting go from this roster, it would probably be Jason Hayward. But understanding how much he means to his teammates, that's a different level of value. And like I said, all Dave Roberts, and Andrew Friedman and everybody else has been telling us how big it is to have him in their clubhouse, and now he's hot in their clubhouse.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Andrew, I don't think that. I think you have to look at the eye test, and some of the sabermetrics crap that I think sometimes has invaded baseball is youthful. But the eye test, the eye test, sure, you could make a case that Chris was coming back, that he was starting to hit the ball more. But I've watched as many Dodger games on my handy Danny MLB app as anybody in the last two years or three years. Chris his swing is bad. And I felt a lot more comfortable Jason coming off the bench than I will with Chris.
Speaker 5: I just want, well, I can tell you.
Speaker 2: This, Jim Andrew Friedman was very encouraged by what he saw from Chris Taylor before he got injured. And it's hard to argue with it because in Taylor's last twenty six games before he got hurt, he was hitting two fifty with an eight thirty oh ps and he was only striking out at a twenty one percent clip, which was lower than the league average and certainly lower than what we've seen all season from him. And he's found something in the minor leagues. According to Chris, he's made swing changes during this time that he's been hurt. So and he's under contract for next year for about thirteen fourteen million dollars, so that's poor reality.
Speaker 6: Where's he going to play?
Speaker 2: Exactly where is he and when is he going to play? I don't know, but I will tell you this. The reason why Chris Taylor and keyk Hernandez are are on this team is because of October. And if that's what you believe in, then they have to be on this roster for October. Yeah, yeah, all right, Jim, thanks for the phone call. Came back anytime. Enjoy talking to you. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. I'm Andrew Readman, you are going to convince me why Jason Hayward should still be on this roster. And if you believe the Dodgers made the right decision, like already two or three of these callers have made, that's fine as well. It's not an easy decision, honestly, and I think it's taken a lot out of Dave Roberts emotionally having to have this cloud because I'm sure Dave Roberts knew the last few days this was the direction the Dodgers were going in. Nothing that Jason Hayward did or didn't do the last three or four games was going to change that. So obviously he knew what the front office had in mind. And he's part of these conversations. And how much input does Dave Roberts have. He has some, but ultimately it's Brandon Gomes, It's Andrew Freeman that tell him these are your players. Let's go out to your Belinda, Carrie, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Kerry? Hey, Dave, how are you my pleasure? How you doing, Carrie?
Speaker 4: I'm doing well. Hey. One of the things that I just think with with with Jason Hayward, I must say ja, but there's that's that's Hairston. But I think the Dodgers have enough guy. It's based on the last two three years that and let's be honest, we got enough guys to blink in the postseason, h when the when the bright lights come off, and I think having a guy like Jason there just to kind of even if he only gets in a bat or two, but I think it's a guy. Look, you know, everybody talked about how he riled everybody up in that in that come Room series, and maybe it's only in about Tree, but having a guy there that can keep everybody high held. We love him, a good player, but we got enough guys that blink in the postseason. We don't need another new guy coming up and saying, well, it's his first postseason. You know, it's a lot for them. We got it. We've had enough of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like at this the Dodgers, being with the Dodgers in a race and still have baseball's best record, Carrie, the Dodgers will find a way. They have a lot of veterans that will keep moving forward. They're not just going to shut down because the Dodgers. Dodgers went in this direction with Jason Hayward. They're going to keep moving forward. It's just an emotional day for a lot of people in that clubhouse and for Dave Roberts, because you know, Jason Hayward was a very prominent figure in that clubhouse. And he wasn't a raw, raw guy like I said, but he was a presence. And Kevin Kiermeyer, by the way I've witnessed it, he's a great teammate. He engages guys, he pumps them up. I love Kevin Kiermeyer, and that's the reason why I said, They've got to keep Kevin Kiermeyer somehow, some way. And the only question I have out of all this, and I'm gonna let it breathe a little bit. I'm not calling Andrew Freeman to or I can wait to talk to Dave Roberts during his media session tomorrow, or maybe even Chris Taylor tomorrow. Why couldn't Chris Taylor wait eight more days? And why couldn't the Dodgers tell Chris Taylor wait eight more days. It's not like he has, you know, had a great year where he has the leverage to tell them, hey, I want to be activated, right now, and look, I'm a believer in Chris Taylor, but there was a way to have all these guys still on the roster on September first, and for whatever reason, there must have been something going on behind the scenes. They had to make a decision to activate Taylor today and not wait until September first. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. This is Dodger Talk David Vass with you until seven o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Let's go out to riverside. Fred. Are you on board with this decision.
Speaker 7: I'm on board with this decision, Dave. When you take the emotion completely out of it, we're not talking about Albert Poolhols. We're not talking about David Threes. In terms of guys when the lights are the brightest in the postseason, these are the guys who have had the experience and the numbers there to perform and go after those World Series moments. We're talking about Jason Hayward, a career one forty eight hit hitter in the postseason. When you look at Chris Taylor, He's hit three point fifty in the NLCS, Okay, now the sample side, even the eye test tells me to your point, Chris Taylor is a guy who rises to the occasion. In October, you think about those moments he had against Milwaukee, making game saving catches or doing it with his bat against the Cardinals and eliminating them. This is a guy who you can throw his numbers out. His versatility, his experience is something that elevates the rest of the team in the postseason. And if you want to just focus on hey, well we need better and guys in the in the clubhouse to keep everybody spirits up and pad him on the back or be in Well.
Speaker 2: That's not Jason Hayward. That's not Jason Hayward. I'm just saying he was a different, quiet type of presence where if guys had something nice they could go to him. It's not Mookie bedspread. Nobody's going to Mookie Beds for advice. I hate to break it to you.
Speaker 7: Well, we need we have guys like Clayton Kershaw that needs to stuff for pitchers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for pictures, it's a different guys. No, position players don't always lean on pitchers. Pitchers don't always lean on position players. So hey, I'm with you, Fred, I could see your argument. I'm not going to push back on your argument because, honestly, how many at bats with Jason Hayward going to get between now and the end of the season, and how many at bats was he really going to get in the play it was trying to catch lightning in a bottle like he did the other night. That would be the only thought to it. Thanks for the phone call, eight six six seven two five seventy. As far as on the field now, like I said, you know, the Dodgers can get over this, and they're going to have to get over this if there is some heavy emotions and it may take a day or two to really play a few games to get over this. But today, trust me, a lot of those guys that were teammates with Jason Hayward last year and this year, they're a little emotional today. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's take one more call before we take a break. Eric in Hollywood, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Eric, Dodger Day shut.
Speaker 8: Drew. I just want to tell you, thank you. That was a great move of getting rid of Jay Hey was a tough You need something to fire up this team, Drew, and you did a good job. This will fire up the team. You get rid of somebody get this team uncomfortable. They need to band together right now with the team that they have and that are coming together, the roster that's being put together right now needs to band together, and they need to get tough. And tough is what they need. That guy was great.
Speaker 4: He's awesome.
Speaker 8: They're gonna love him. They can always FaceTime him and Drew, I gotta tell you one thing, man, I think you're on the right path.
Speaker 4: Here you go.
Speaker 8: You've got all the pieces that you need to make this a caliber, winning championship team. But I gotta tell you what, Dag Drew, We've gotta fire this team up. We need fire. Nobody needs to push us around, Drew. So you need to either talk to Dave and tell them, hey, how are we gonna recalibrate the roster, because nobody needs to push us around now. Nobody pushes baby in the.
Speaker 7: Corner anymore, Drew.
Speaker 8: I don't know if you've seen that. You're kind of young, Drew, so I don't know.
Speaker 4: If you see that movie.
Speaker 8: But nobody pushes baby in the corner. Drew, and remember one dig remind cedg one thing like it, shaving Private Ryan. Bake this worth it, Make this worth it. We've got rid of subty. Make this worth it. But Drew, you're doing a great job.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 8: You gotta work on the pitchy, bro.
Speaker 4: But that's a better thing.
Speaker 8: We already talked about Jay Hey, but.
Speaker 3: Drew, you gotta work on the pitchy.
Speaker 2: But that's all right, Let's save that for tomorrow. Eric, Let's save that for tomorrow. That was great, Thank you for the phone call. Great as always. Two movie references, Saving Private Ryan and dirty Dancing. Never thought I would say that on this show anyway. Great call, and honestly a little surprised that everybody is in agreement with Andrew Friedman and the Dodgers to let Jason Hayward get away. And look, like I said, in a vacuum, his numbers, his production, how many at bats he was going to have? And if you had to activate Chris Taylor today, yeah, he would be the odd man out, no doubt about it. It wouldn't be Kevin Kiermeier. But there's more to it than just the ops and the batting. G average. There's a little bit more to it, all right, thanks for the phone calls. We're gonna keep it going. I did record a pre I didn't record an interview with Dave Roberts before yesterday's game. I was gonna use it tonight, but with the news of Jason Hayward being designated for assignment and we got a full board of calls, we're going through. You could find the Dave Roberts conversation on the iHeartRadio app. That's where you could podcast it. If Dave Roberts called in live, we put him on. But right now it's a taped, outdated interview. So we're going all in with the phone calls. At eight sixty six nine, eight seven, two five seventy, David Vase with you until seven o'clock right here on a f five to seventy LA Sports Petrosen Money had a successful final summer tourist stop at the van's headquarters and Costa Mesa g Bus was there. It was a good time had by all, and that's why we're on an hour earlier. We're taking you to the top of the hour and we'll be back with you tomorrow night at six o'clock for Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck before first pitch between the Dodgers and Tampa Bay Rays. The Dodgers have a home stand, a nine game homestand all three series are against American League teams. The Dodgers just swept the Seattle Mariners and basically put Scott Servis's job so much in jeopardy that he got fired today, and they'll have the Rais in for three games. The Rays had two players going at it against each other in their own dugout last night in Oakland, Yondi Diaz and Jose Cabierro. So the Rays are coming in with some dissension in the ranks. And after the Rays leave town, the Dodgers have another day off on Monday, and then we'll welcome in one of the best teams in base the Baltimore Orioles. The good news is the Dodgers have held their own and then some against the American League this year. They're twenty three to twelve against the American League teams this season. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I gotta say, I'm a little surprised that so many of you agree with the decision to release Jason Hayward, and honestly, I can understand why. The only surprise by me was that the Dodgers actually did it, That the Dodgers actually went this direction. It's a tough decision to make because the people making the decision are not you and me. They're the guys that are in the clubhouse every day with him. They're the guys that sign him, they're the guys that manage him, they're the guys that play with him. And obviously the players had no decision in this, But for the Dodgers to make this decision was not an easy one. It's not like they were very flippant about it. It's a tough decision. And like we have been worn the last couple of weeks because of the Dodgers getting healthy and with the acquisitions of Tommy Edmond and Kevin Kiermeyer, production and the way you played and the way you fit on this roster was going to be a big part of the decision making process. And the Dodgers basically felt that they were good with Kevin Kiermeyer from the left side, even off the bench, and Jason Hayward really did not have a role moving forward. Eight six six seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Fullerton. Marlin, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi Marlin.
Speaker 5: Hi, David, thank you for letting me on. David look tough decision on the Hitward situation. He's a great guy, but you know, the Dodgers are the big picture. The whole year was to win it all. That's what the Dodgers need. They got the lineups, sheelling. Now they've got some pieces. Roberts is on. He's under a huge amount of pressure, David, because we don't expect anything else in Los Angeles to win a title. Okay, so it's all about that and that's just the way it goes. I hate to see a guy go like that, but Roberts is under extreme pressure. It's tougher when you got a team built and you're built to win than the team that's an also ran. That's what I wanted to say, David. We're in a good position now, we're ready to roll. I'm glad that it's tight because those two years were way ahead and then we lose their juice. Down the stretch. We're playing meaningful games and Roberts says, playoff mode, and that's the mode we need.
Speaker 2: To be in, all right, Marlon, I appreciate the phone call, and yeah, the manager sets the tone, and if he has that playoff type intensity and urgency to win every game, that obviously is felt by his players. And the Dodgers certainly have had a great year. The way people write about them, the way they talk about them, you would think they were the New York Mets where they're hanging onto a wildcard spot, or the Braves holding onto a wildcard spot. This team has the best record in baseball. The reality is the Arizona Diamondbacks and the San Diego Padres are two of the top four teams in the National League. It's the Dodgers, it's the Phillies, it's the Diamondbacks, it's the Padres. And in Major League Baseball, if you include the Orioles, those are to me your top five teams in Major League Baseball this year. It just so happens that the two of those five are in the same division with the Dodgers. And look, I agree, this is not a bad thing to make the Dodgers feel a little heated to play meaningful games now. I will say this going down the stretch. On paper, the schedule does benefit the Dodgers because none of their last twelve are again against the Rockies and Marlins. And before they get to all that I mentioned, they got the Race this weekend, and then the Orioles to close out this homestand and then after the Orioles, the Dodgers head out to play four games at Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona, against those Arizona Diamondbacks. And the Dodgers will not have Yoshiyamamoto, the highest paid pitcher in Major League history, and they will not have Tyler glassnaw, it appears because he's still not throwing. So the Dodgers are not going to have the two pitchers that they thought they would have for big games like this down the stretch. All they can hope for is both those guys being ready at this point in time for October and to deliver in October. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Danny in Claremont. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: How you doing Danny, Hey, Dave, thanks for giving me. I'm doing well. It was kind of surprising. News to here today for sure about Hayward. But really I think it, you know, it's just kind of the cost of doing business nowadays in baseball, and you know, everyone's trying to put it up between him and Taylor and and really it's just that kere Meyer has come on so strong and it is playing so well and really fills a role in the team that they need.
Speaker 2: They were just about Taylor versus Hayward. It's really Hayward or keer Meyer, because Taylor was going to be on this roster.
Speaker 9: Oh oh, definitely, especially with you know, he was playing a little bit better, and you know, they got up signed for another year. He wasn't going anywhere, and they didn't want to get rid of any word. They're kind of backed into the corner and something had to happen. It's just unfortunate that the rules of baseball didn't allow them to keep him on the team. You know, and objectively, he's the right choice to go. But you know, I definitely see the other side of it what you're saying, where you know, for me, I think chemistry, team chemistry cohesion means so much, especially when you get into you know, the type of games that they're going to be getting into and how highly he's spoken of in the in the dugout by all the players. You know, you don't know, so I guess we'll see how the team responds. And that's really going to be the answer, you know, in the next week or so, just to see how the team responds to to losing that type of presence, because I don't think it's insignificant despite you know, he's him not having a great year at the plate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the good news is, Danny, just my observations of when I'm allowed in the clubhouse, Kevin Kiermaier is a great teammate and even in the dugout, being close to the dugout on this last road trip, he's a great teammate, and he's a very inclusive teammate, and he's a veteran that has respect as well. I think he's going to be a big difference maker in more ways than one down the stretch. Appreciate the phone call, Danny, Thank you for the call. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. And now that Jason Hayward has been designated for assignment, similar maybe I'm being nostalgic because Matt Kemp came back for a one day contract, obviously a different situation a couple of weeks ago to retire as a Dodger. But it would be really special if this is the last season Jason Hayward is going to play Major League Baseball, and there's a very good chance it is. With this situation of him being the odd man out with the Dodgers and free to sign with any other team, I would hope the Cubs or the Braves would pick up Jason Hayward. The Cubs are going nowhere, and Jason Hayward was part of their only World Series team in the last one hundred plus years. He has beloved in the city of Chicago. He's ingrained in that community. The Cubs should pick up Jason Hayward and let him play the final month of the season with them, or even the Braves. They have a lot of injuries. That's the team he came up with. That's where Freddie Freeman and him created a brotherhood. The Braves aer Cubs should pick up Jason Hayward. Down the stretch here, let's go out to downtown. Man, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Manny, Hey, what's going on, Dave?
Speaker 10: Pretty good. I'm celebrating the birthday today, but I really wanted to get this call, and thank you Dave. Eight twenty two, Leo. I'm just going to get straight to it.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 10: It was a tough thing to wake up to seeing that Hayward was cut because, like the last caller said, he was a great teammate to you know, having the clubhouse. He brought that veteran leadership and he's a really close friend with Freddie Freeman. And but we we spoke about this a couple of weeks back, how this team needed and I don't want to say, you know, cutting Jason Hayward to you know, approve a point or anything. But they have Careenmeyer now and they bring such a different type of energy to this team that this you know, the Dodgers got some big wins and a big sweep against Seattle. So as much as it hurts us being like a fan favorite of j hay you know, it was the right decision ultimately. But I don't know how that rocks the boat chemistry wise, because this is this is a team that's going you know, for the last forty games or solely into a really deep race not only for the division but also maybe the best record in baseball to get home field. So hopefully that pays off. But my question to Night David is what happens when Blake trying In, Yoshi and Glassnow come back. We're gonna see some more heads roll or go back to Shiblee.
Speaker 2: Well, when Glassnow and Yamamoto come back, it's not that hard if Walker, Bueller and Bobby Miller don't start pitching better, so that will take care of itself. As far as Blake Trin and he's back already, so they already have their bullpen settled. It's really not that tough a decision when you're getting back to pitchers the caliber of Yama, Moto and glass Now. Happy birthday, Manny. I'm sorry I couldn't get to all your calls tonight, but call back tomorrow night after the game Dodgers and Rays right here on your home for Dodger Baseball and five seventy LA Sports, hope you make it out to Dodger Stadium. With forty five thousand plus at the Ravine last night, the Dodgers have welcomed in over three million fans for the thirty fifth time in their Dodg Stadium history. It's been open since nineteen sixty two. And this team is nothing without the fans. No matter who owns this ball club, they are a caretaker for the city. That's how we all feel about the Dodgers. And a big reason why is the great Dodger fans. Trust me, I've been around the country, I've seen other fans. The Dodger fans are the best, the loudest, and they certainly had the love and respect of their fans of their players for sure. All Right, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight. Thanks to Ronnie Fozio for all his help. Coming up next, Jason Smith on Fox Sports Radio. We'll talk to you tomorrow night from Dodger Stadium at six o'clock before Dodgers and Rays at seven ten. Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 3: See you