Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a new episode of Full Circle the Podcast. A visit to our home where we squeeze a few headlines for our decidedly queer lens and see what happens. This episode is brought to you by Decanta Jugwane, the fan running in the background to keep me alive, and my last queer nerve.
Speaker 2: I am your host, Charles Tyson Junior.
Speaker 1: And I am your host more than Madrigal. Welcome to the Full Circle Table. Hi baby, Hi, I just figured i'd get the fan thing out of the way because I know it's driving you insane, but I am like nauseously.
Speaker 2: It is, and I understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's as quiet as it's going to be. And thank you, because yeah, we have one register in this room and it just doesn't do the trick when we're sitting here for some reason without a fan. So there's a fan, okay, Yeah, Well, anyway, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm fine. Happy day before our anniversary.
Speaker 1: Happy day before og anniversary. Yes, so we used to celebrate the anniversary of our first date, which was July fourteenth, twenty twelve. Yes, so tomorrow marks the thirteenth anniversary of our first date. Yes, one could argue the first time we had sexes.
Speaker 2: Also because you're a little fast ass, I will.
Speaker 1: As I said at our wedding, we've known one another for twenty four years. That ain't fast. But whatever, whatever, whatever, So Pride Month is over.
Speaker 2: Helujah. We made it.
Speaker 1: It's a busy month, it is. I've realized. The fourth of July weekend, I'm not we did not celebrate Independence Day, god knows well, but that was the first weekend since like April that we have had an entire weekend all with nothing to do. It's true where to be.
Speaker 2: I mean we we had hot dogs and hamburgers and sat in front of the television and we watched sinners, which we'll get to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had cookout like food without going out in the heat because it's been warm, right.
Speaker 2: And we didn't do fireworks because the dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah the dog does not like fireworks.
Speaker 2: But barbecue is really all I care about for July fourth, because you know reasons.
Speaker 1: You had your mama's potatoes though, yep I did that. Yeah it was fine, I mean it was, but it was just glorious because we got to relaxing except for Sunday when I spent a couple hours completely reimagining, rebranding, and repurposing the trans support group that Elizabeth and I have run for the last many years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were reinventing.
Speaker 1: Let's just say they weren't answering our questions. They weren't being forthright. We really really tried hard. Our community center in Philadelphia's in a state of massive change. Blocks. We hear they're selling the building. Depending on who you talk to, there you know will be a future or there won't be. I mean, there's so much happening right now. But we were just trying to get some answers so we knew where we stood financially, and we couldn't get them. Instead, we were removed as administrators from the Transway page. That's what's happened, and we made the decision immediately we can't do this correctly without that kind of control over who has access to the group, right, And so a lot of things happened, but you know, we made the decision to move forward. We estimated there were about ninety active participants. We've got now one hundred and what was it fourteen? Last year looked something like that members in the new iteration, which is transformation collective you and the F capitalized as if you know, we visualize a whole bunch of trans folks standing to get information and I love the word.
Speaker 2: Collective, as do I.
Speaker 1: So we did do that, but we did that from the sofa. Anything I do from the sofa doesn't feel.
Speaker 3: Like work at all.
Speaker 1: You know, the dog's cuddled up next to me. So it was fine. But you know, we had to do that because we skipped one week and we've never between the two of us, we have never skipped a Thursday since Elizabeth took over twelve years ago. We're there right, you know, and I've been there for a solid five and we have never let a Thursday go by. But the center was going to a point and overseer, I'm just going to use that word, a paid employee to attend all of our meetings. And that did not sit well because there's no one on their staff who has ever even been to a Transway meeting, let alone understands what happens or the cadence of it, or who the long term members are or how it operates or nothing. They understand nothing. So that was insulting and yeah, anyway, next exactly, So we did what we had to do to get it up and running. And then this past Thursday we were there twenty two members on the call, which is, you know, a healthy number of folks for any week. But yeah, yeah, we're moving on. There is an article in PGN we can actually link to it in the episode notes that tells our story and quotes a press release from the center that is, we say thin and full of holes, but whatever, I mean. You know, when you have to come up pretend you had a program and a plan, you know, and you pay pr people to create a narrative, I guess you get what you get, right. We just told the truth from our perspective, right and you know, personally, and I can't believe that we haven't interviewed Elizabeth on the show. But Elizabeth is one of my mentors and sister mama girlfriends who kept me alive you know, when I really needed trans people to lean on and learn from. And I will not see how disrespected in the manner she was right. I won't be there for that. That was also right there. Anyway, That's the only thing we did last Sunday this weekend, I had class and I got my pedicure touched up, and we went and had some food. Yeah, and here we are.
Speaker 2: But before that, you were extra special, crunchy, busy things we haven't gotten to talk about yet.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean you mean still in June. Yeah, yeah, So backing up, June was packed. On the twenty ninth of June, I spoke at the Woodbury Heart and Soul's inaugural pride event.
Speaker 2: Yes, you did.
Speaker 1: We have tape of that, right, Are we going to share any of.
Speaker 2: That or sure, we can put it on our YouTube.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that'll be available. But yeah, so I spoke there in God, it was hot that day, it really was. But then the thirtieth of June, we attended Governor Phil Murphy's Phil and Tammy Murphy's pride reception, yes, which included the Lieutenant governor and all kind of mover and shakers in the state. And we were there and that was an honor, it truly was to be invited to the Governor's mansion.
Speaker 2: And aka drum fuck it, drum bracket, which is just so much fun to say.
Speaker 1: I know, right, well, I acknowledged, as you know, someone invited to that party. Yeah, yeah, it was cool. It was and we took pictures just to make sure that you know, any of these bitches that want to say we weren't there.
Speaker 2: Right, you can see those pictures on our Instagram and our Facebook and our threads on our social media, I guess is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 1: One more thing is happening. So in June, we had our twenty fourth spaghetti dinner, our Trends and non binary community dinner started with about I don't know, fifteen twenty people, and we've consistently drawn about forty folks and all kinds of different folks.
Speaker 2: So that makes this month the silver one, right in twenty five.
Speaker 1: Silver, I guess, well, yeah, it's fifties gold. But it's our two year anniversary. So we began in July of twenty twenty three and now so in July of twenty twenty five, we're celebrating our two year anniversary at the next dinner on the fourth Sunday of July. We have not missed one month of coming together and building community, and I'm very proud of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been fun, and you've been my bunny. You go every time.
Speaker 2: I only missed one.
Speaker 1: I think that's all right.
Speaker 2: I think I think that was the very first one.
Speaker 1: Did you miss the first one?
Speaker 2: I missed the very first one because that's the one that uh, Julia was at and I wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Yes, Julia, Yes, yes, Julius Gotti was there. Julius Scotti came to that first one. Elizabeth was there. Yeah, there was some good pictures from the very first one. Yeah, and we've had folks dropping it out from all over the state and oh the region, just to kind of come in and have spaghetti.
Speaker 3: It's been good.
Speaker 2: It's it's always a fun time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it always says so that that is another thing we will celebrate in July.
Speaker 2: So we lost some people, yeah, since the last time we spoke. Yes, and because we've had some really cool interviews. Yes, and we had our minisowed from when you spoke and Pittman right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this is the first time in a month and some change maybe that.
Speaker 1: We've recorded it sounds right. July was June was a blur. Yeah, truly, June was a blur.
Speaker 2: So uh yeah, a bunch of folks have passed sly Stone, yesly Stone passed away.
Speaker 1: Sly in the family Stone, not Sylva. Well that's stillw Oh, that's right, that's stillone. Yes, sly stillone.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, so sly Stone, Yeah, well yeah that's the way.
Speaker 4: Yes, at eighty two, at eighty two, completely different people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sly Stone was. I am sad to say that I did not realize how powerful and influential sly and the Family Stone were until we saw Summer of Soul h and saw the impact that they had. Plus you know, hearing people musicians talk about their influence because there's always there's been a bunch of songs by them that I like, right, But yeah, they sly Stone was like a game changer apparently.
Speaker 1: But much of their work predates your existence, right.
Speaker 2: Not my mind, but yes, ye, just thing. I start to say, not by much, and then I realized Summer of Soul was sixty nine and they were already well established by then. So yes, yes, they do predate.
Speaker 3: Me all.
Speaker 2: But yeah, one of the first bands to like play funk and R and B and soul and be like integrated. Really yeah, that was the thing. They had a white dude, I forget, he's on bass or drums, some rhythm rhythm, rhythm center and people.
Speaker 1: Were like, oh shit, it's possible.
Speaker 2: It's definitely possible. So yeah, rest in power to Slice Stone. Yeah. So Ananda Lewis passed away. She was young, fifty two, fifty two yeah, and that younger and younger, huh right. Yeah, Ananda Lewis was like she was an it girl on MTV. She was VJ. She was the original host of Total Request Live before Carson Daley took over. And she was just like the epitome of young and coool. You know, she knew everybody. Everybody knew her. And this is when I was still paying attention to MTV. Okay, and I thought she was very cool. And so she passed away in the beginning of June, like June eleventh. She lost her battle with breast cancer. Yeah, so rest in peace to the it girl Ananda Lewis.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So John Robins and John Robins like I believe I have the book for a New America. He was a pioneer in the plant based movement and a leading voice. He died at seventy seven. Here's the He was from the Baskin Robins ice Cream Empire. That's his legacy. Yeah, that's where he grew up and he abandoned all of it to speak out about you know, the dairy industry and you know, the unethical treatment of animals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you can't. You can't do both.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In his early thirties, and you know, and he wrote Diet for a New America, which you know, drew upon actual studies, environmental research, personal testimony criticizing the American food system. Within months, he became a sought after speaker, media guest, appeared on national programs like Oprah, Donahues, CBS This Morning, and the book sold more than one million copies, cited by many predecessors.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: He did a documentary in ninety one, and you know, he he was of the you know, T Colin Campbell, John McDougall, that whole who all of a sudden. The reason, you know, that whole group of folks talking about, you know, being able to reverse heart disease, et cetera with diet based diet is medicine.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he co founded the Food Revolution Network with his son in twenty twelve, Ocean Robins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, huh.
Speaker 2: I did not make that connection between him.
Speaker 1: And basketball really, Yeah, isn't that interesting? That is because you know, he looked around at what dairy does and how we shouldn't eat it.
Speaker 2: I guess that's why they made the concession to have non dairy options.
Speaker 1: Do they have them now? I believe so, Mom, It's about time. But yeah, he was a fascinating guy. I mean, I hate it every time one of them dies too young, Like seventy seven is not old anymore to me, right, I want late eighties or later to say, well, they lived a good life, you know what I mean, seventy seven is long.
Speaker 2: Well we do that though, like Black people especially, but folks in general do that like they were ninety seven years old, so young.
Speaker 1: So say I don't do that with ninety seven ninety seven. I'm like, so young, we should I say, we should all get ninety seven years taken for us too soon, you know. And I always say, if they're healthy years, right. You know, My father died at seventy nine, but he was other than the lung cancer healthy until he died, right, you know, and doing the things he wanted to do, tending his garden and you know, holding his great granddaughter and those things.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: My mother did live to eighty seven, but those last five years at least weren't good right, you know, house bound and falling, And.
Speaker 2: I mean that makes a difference. It also makes a difference, like you know what kind of person you are and what kind of life you've lived, because probably there's certain people that when they pass you don't hear so soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody said that about us.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's like, well, that took longer than I thought it would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of peace at last.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not saying that about your mom.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying I'm not saying you're saying her sister said it. Oh, I'm just repeating it. Yeah, I mean that was you know, it's become part of my story for you know, good better. Otherwise we had a complicated relationship. She had a complicated relationship with almost everyone, and I it took me a while to reconcile. And you were there in the room. I sobbed at her bedside when she took her last breath. I sobbed uncontrollably, and it took me a while to say. It wasn't grief, it was relief, right, And that's just the truth. I mean, I loved her. She was a force, and God was she a pain in my ass and the asses of many you know around her, and people loved and adored my mother. If she didn't give birth to you, it was much more likely that you thought she was a really cool broad. You know, she was funny, she was smart, she was loyal to her friends. But again, nobody's one thing. And wow, what a complicated human, right, So how do we get on talks?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one said oh too soon, No one said too soon. We were all like, finally, finally sober.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Lynn Hamilton someone who we did not say, right.
Speaker 1: Finally Sanford and Sons, the Waltons died at ninety five. We should all see ninety five years, I say.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, Lynn Hamilton. She was of a group of black actors that like if she showed up in the cameo on your show, that was one of the best episodes that everyone remembered, like off the top of my head, you know, besides her playing Donna on Sanford and.
Speaker 1: Son Fred's girlfriends.
Speaker 2: Yes, yep, I think of her.
Speaker 3: She was.
Speaker 2: One of the matriarchs of It was the episode of the Golden Girls when Dorothy's son was Dayton Roslyn h huh and like Dorothy side of the family was like, she's old, and then Rosalind Carrish's side of the family was like, he's white, right, and like it was it was Roslin Cash.
Speaker 3: And what's white?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: No? She was black? Who Roslin Cash?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Do I have my Cashes? Next up? You must I'm thinking of who's Johnny Cash's daughter?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Not Rosalind.
Speaker 1: I thought it was I've seen. Now I'm being stupid. Okay, now I have to know who is Roslyn.
Speaker 3: Cash?
Speaker 1: Who I'm thinking of Roseanne Cash? No, very in mind I am. I'm thinking like, and I'm like, shean black? Oh, Rosalind Cash's yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, Omega Man Yes, Mary may Ward in General Hospital, got it, got it? Gosh she died ninety five, she did. I didn't realize that, but okay, now I got it. I got you right?
Speaker 2: Yes, And and I just picture uh Lynn Hamilton talking about Dorothy's son calling him a skinny white by way.
Speaker 1: Well right, Well that.
Speaker 2: Was also the episode of the Golden Girls that got pulled. Remember during the pandemic when they were doing all these superficial changes that no one fucking asked for?
Speaker 1: Is that when Antemima left the label.
Speaker 2: Yes, no one asked for.
Speaker 1: These Pearl Baking Company. Pearl.
Speaker 2: They did everything except you know, battle, battle, police, brutality, right right.
Speaker 1: Let's do all these performative things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So they pulled the that episode of the Golden Girls off of streaming because it's also the episode where Blanche and Rose were doing beauty treatments and so they were doing mud masks and they walked in with their faces.
Speaker 3: Right yeah, And.
Speaker 2: They pulled that episode because of all the things right well right, yeah. Anyway, so Lynn Hamilton was someone who was highly regarded and formidable.
Speaker 1: Yes, and one of those people who you might not have known her name, but you knew her when you saw her.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 2: She was just and everything she was in is made better just by her.
Speaker 1: Presence, yes, yes, yes, yes, and rest in power to her. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: This one is a nerd entry from me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I don't know who this is.
Speaker 2: At the beginning of July, Jim Shooter died, who was a comic editor for Marvel Comics and he created the Secret Wars. He died at seventy three. Secret Wars is actually going to be in the movies at some point in the next couple of years. But Secret Wars was like crazy because like, for one thing, it's it's the series where the black Suit for Spider Man was introduced, and it was like, you know, all the different heroes were sucked onto this like strange planet and forced to like battle because like the good guys were on this side and the bad guys were on this side. And it was like all the different characters from all the different titles were in one space together. It was a whole thing. And I remember one day I was in the bookstore in the Gallery. So this should tell you give you a time period.
Speaker 1: The Gallery existed and they had a bookstore exactly nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that. I think the it lasted into like the early like maybe two thousand and maybe. Anyway, So I was in the bookstore and I was just like perusing things, and I saw like a full trade book of Secret Wars, like all of the issues in one book, and I distinctly remember gasping audibly like I was in a telenovella. Like I went and then I grabbed it and I ran and I paid for it and ran home to read it. Okay, And so Jim Shooter brought that joy into my life, and I am grateful all right.
Speaker 1: Michael Madison is another one of those like that guy that was in that thing. Yes, you know his face even if you didn't know his name right.
Speaker 2: Well, he's most famous for being in several of Quentin Tarantino's films. Yes, he was. I think mister White. I think was his character in Reservoir Dogs. He had that infamous scene where he's dancing in the warehouse to stuck in the middle with you and then he like has the cop tied to the chair and he cuts his hair off and that Yeah, is that. He played Bill's brother Bud and kill Bill. Yeah he was. He was that dude. It's cool, dude. I was a fan. So it's said that he passed away.
Speaker 1: Yeah at sixty seven. Yeah, young, so not that old. Still young.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Speaking of young, Julian McMahon, I know, a shock to me. I just wanted to star Wars. He was fifty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't like it when they're younger than me. I know, I don't like it. I am also gone well yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I discovered Julia McMahon along with a lot of people because of Niptok and then you know he for better or for Worse was Doctor Doom. In the first Fantastic Four movie chaw.
Speaker 1: A fe I most wanted. That was on TV, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He was known for being you know, that charismatic actor. I was a fan. I was a fan. I appreciated him.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I know. I liked his work. And again, one of those people whose face you knew. Even if you didn't know his name, you probably knew him, you know, less than the former. But still, I'm so young, I know. Sorry, cancer, I believe. Yeah, yeah, that sucks.
Speaker 2: Still a couple more, Yeah, Carla Maxwell passed away. Carla Maxwell was a heavy hitter in the concert dance world. She basically took over the Jose Lamone company after he passed away and kept it moving, kept the repertory going, and was the first example of a modern dance company being able to move forward after the founder passed away, really because everyone was like, there's no way, like the companies.
Speaker 1: Have to continue, right, and she was like, the hell, and that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the Lamone company was just in town.
Speaker 1: Yeah last year or earlier this year, they're still there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you know, I got to work with some productions of Lamone Repertory. I didn't get to work with her obviously, but you know, to do the work, you have to have like the official like stamp, so you know, yeah, she kept his his legacy moving on for decades and decades after he passed. She was became the autistic director in seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Okay, when did Judith Jamison take over al? I was thinking that because I'm thinking they had a similar because now that I said that, I'm wondering what the story women who Carried Forward?
Speaker 2: Jules Jamison took over Alien eighty nine, okay.
Speaker 1: Right, because he was still here before that, right, okay, right, so you know we can rightly call her a pioneer, yes, you know, and the first to prove it could be done. But again it's been done since. Look at me with my dance education by injections, Sorry.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Lamone, I like Lamone, like dancing it. I like dancing it more than I like watching it. But it's definitely an important and foundational style and technique in the modern dance millie.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, you like what you like, right, You're moved by what you're moved by, right, and that's just going to always be I think. I mean it's like wine, you know what I mean well, you don't like it. It doesn't matter how technical it is, it doesn't matter how precise it is, you don't like it. You don't like it, and move along.
Speaker 2: To be fair. Like the Lamone works that I've seen, they were all way more theatrical than they were like dancy dance dance.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I probably would have loved them.
Speaker 2: I'm peppered by that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I love the athleticism that arguably came later, right in modern dance. Right, I love it. I'm riveted.
Speaker 2: Yes, especially, yes, especially like Bendy Boys.
Speaker 1: Ninety three fingers, seven fingers, seven seven fingers. I love, yes, most mostly naked bendy boys. But I mean I love those people who keep pushing the envelope. Yes, and especially when they incorporate more naked voice and that athleticism and and the humor that can go along with it. Yes, it's just what bodies and shadows can do and lighting, and you know.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I also, you know, I love you know, good modern ballet. I've been verveted by ballet X And who did we most recently see And I said, you know he did the you know peace, he's doing a residency. Oh my god icon hip hop icon.
Speaker 2: Oh ready, ready, thank.
Speaker 1: You Rennie's last piece. And again riveted, you know, and couldn't believe it was over, like you know, because I'm riveted. I love all kinds of dance.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was still thinking modern in ballet, that's why.
Speaker 1: Sorry about that. But no, but again it's you know it really it does come down to your taste and what you enjoy, like a little bit of everything. But you know, put your thinking a thing but fun to dance, which how would I know?
Speaker 3: But you know I do, you did.
Speaker 2: Exactly And finally, yes, this is our most recent loss, Jewel Tye Williams.
Speaker 1: Who found Uls Catch One.
Speaker 2: Yes, which there is a delightful documentary. Yes there is, I believe called Jewels Catch One.
Speaker 3: I believe it is.
Speaker 2: She just passed away at eighty six.
Speaker 3: Eighty six, yeah, like last week.
Speaker 1: Damn yeah it is now closed. Yeah, it was in La mm hmmm. She died on June seventh, son and for decades, the mid City nightclub known to regulars as The Catch was Ellie's hallid Sanctuary four black queer women and a welcoming dance Laura for trans, gay and musically adventurous revelers. YEP artists like Elia Fitzgerald, Madonna, and Whitney Houston sacheted down Catch One's winding halls, while the indomitable Tyus Williams fended off police harassment and led care programs during.
Speaker 3: The height of the AIDS crisis.
Speaker 1: The catch was singularly important to the development of black and queer nightlife in LA and belongs beside New York's Paradise Garage and Chicago's Warehouse in any account of the most important nightclubs in America.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you go.
Speaker 1: It opened in nineteen seventy three.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, The Catch One is one of those places that I wish I had visited just to see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It was.
Speaker 1: Kind of a West Coast studio fifty four. Yeah, Donna, Summer, Chokat Khan, Sylvester Rick James, Evelyn Champagne King performed to pack rooms. Celebrities like Sharon Stone and Woopie Goldberg attended the parties glad for wild nights out away from the paparazzi in Hollywood. What a legacy, right. Yeah. After the sale of the building, the importance of the club came into sharper focus, and there was a twenty eighteen Netflix documentary Jules Catch one yep, I was right, produced by Ava Duvernet.
Speaker 2: Really yes, oh okay, I work.
Speaker 1: Her company, Hoorray, and it highlighted the impact on LA nightlife, the broader music scene.
Speaker 3: Of the era.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a good one.
Speaker 1: It was the last black owned queer nightclub in La.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When it was sold, that was the first time that I had ever heard of it. When we saw that documentary.
Speaker 1: I know, right, And it's a wonderful chunk of our history that we didn't know. Yeah, we just we didn't know happening now in the most because so many stories need to be told, and we're told and shared. Yeah, so rest in power, jewel Tye Williams.
Speaker 3: Indeed eighty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's take a quick break and then we'll come back with some good news. We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: So I saved this one for good news. Jimmy Swaggert is dead. If you can't say any thing.
Speaker 2: You're only supposed to say good things dead.
Speaker 3: He's dead.
Speaker 1: Good, That's all I got.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I couldn't. I couldn't, you know, talk about him anywhere near the icons and contributors.
Speaker 3: We just spoke of, right.
Speaker 2: I think the post that I initially saw was like, Jimmy Swaggert is dead, so here's my recipe for Raspberry squares.
Speaker 1: Serious? And that bitch lived to ninety I know. I mean he had been ousted years ago, right by scandal. Yeah, his whole fire and brimstone bullshit stuff.
Speaker 2: I'll just picture him sweating in lion.
Speaker 1: Well that's what he did. He sweated, he lied, and he was part of the moral majority, and the voices that regan led into the party because their numbers were you know, dwindling, and they took over and made it the maga that it is today. Yes, so we all have all of that, you know, to thank Jimmy swagger for.
Speaker 2: I'm not suggesting that people should dance on his grave. I'm just saying, if you do, do a little left right.
Speaker 1: For me and piss on it while you're there, just saying, yeah, he was like he find I guess he finally got caught cheating on his wife. I think that's what happened, right, And the assemblies of God defract. There's there's a Oh, I can tell you stories. They ran the Second Christian School. I went to. The Pentecostals have basically two sects. There's probably others, but the two I know about are the United Pentecostals and the Assemblies of God Pentecostals. They both believe that everyone who is in them are going straight to hell. One group makes their win and grow their hair, and they're not a let of wear makeup and they have to wear skirts. The other group is just crazy. But they're all kind of snake handlers, even if they've given up the snakes anyways.
Speaker 2: Lest by snakes you mean Dick's, in which case they're not letting those go.
Speaker 1: Well both theyja frocked Swagger in nineteen eighty eight after he disobeyed their one year suspension by taking the pulpit again after about three months. He said he regretted parting from the Assemblies, but insisted that to refrain from preaching for a year would have ruined his television minister in money.
Speaker 2: His money is much, she used to.
Speaker 1: Phil Anas, I'll g I'll give him them, you know, you know, the dim who were seeking absolutism flocked to him.
Speaker 2: So wait, Jimmy's Jerry Farwell, who was ptl Oh Jim Baker, Jim Baker, Jim and right what we're plied.
Speaker 1: I don't fucking know. It doesn't matter. It was like the Gospel Hour of some bullshit. They all had a slightly different thing. The other baby one was you know the seven hundred Club, which was Pat Robertson right, that motherfucker finally died. Yeah, he going to I was just trying to remember what a fucking see. If these are the people that made it to heaven, I don't want to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, he ain't there.
Speaker 1: If there is a hell, these are the people who belong there, yep, because there wasn't one. They were a thing Jesus said about the ones who lead them astray. He was certainly one of them. He was one of those voices that took other West sane people and.
Speaker 3: Did what he did.
Speaker 1: And we're all still paying for it anyway. Dead good yep. Next back toward the end of June, Delaware Governor Matt Meyer signed an executive order increasing protection for receivers and providers of gender affirm and care. Good on them. I want to see it made into a state law. And I'm going to say this, you know, I'm saying this now, and I have in New Jersey, codify the shit before Murphy's out of office. You know, the legislature is going to stay blue. I'm not going to get into the politics of it all, but God damn it, everything that we only have now by executive order, we should have and deserve to have right codified into law before Governor Murphy leaves. I don't give a shit who else is coming into office. That's probably Mike Key what's her name? Right, But anyway, I don't see it being a Republican in the current climate. But what do I know. But at any rate, take that lame duck session and please, please in New Jersey codify at all until law. So you know, I appreciate executive orders, but they can only last as long as the governor. And you know, God knows your congress person isn't going to help you anyway. Good on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A high court in India, oh yeah, June sixteenth said that Indian law cannot deny transgender women recognition as women solely because they cannot bear children. So that was a win.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: A trans woman born male and later transitioning to female is legally entitled to recognition as a woman. The court emphasized This recognition is enshrined in Articles fourteen, fifteen, and twenty one of the Constitution, which guarantee equality before the law. Of course, a zurscotis is showing doesn't fucking matter what equal protection is. If you got enough yahoos corrupting your court, then anything can happen anyway. Good on India.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, jd Vance became the most blocked account on blue Sky after an anti transpost. No surprise, Yeah, no surprise.
Speaker 2: The Blue Sky is not here for people's bullshit.
Speaker 1: And good good. An angry gay grandpa with stage four cancer was punished for trying to stop transith suicides. He glued himself to a rail oh in the Pennsylvania State Capitol, YEP, to get a transphobic senator's attention. His name is James Lance.
Speaker 2: Now see, you're gluing yourself to something that's actually relevant to the thing that you're protesting.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly I'm going to get into the soup of it all. But yes, thank you. And then he was ordered to pay sixteen, five hundred and seventy five dollars for damage to the state capitol and a two hundred dollars fine to the court as part of a plea deal.
Speaker 2: Yeai.
Speaker 1: He is a sixty four year old documentary filmmaker from Vermont. He traveled to Harrisburg in April of twenty four to confront Ryan Allmant, Republican of course, whose district in Lancaster County saw five suicides by trans youth over eighteen months, as Ryan promoted anti trans legislation from his state Senate seat. Yeah they're connected, of course they awn ah. While in the fourth floor of Visitors Gallery, Lance disrupted a Senate session for several minutes, shouting at him and throwing flyers onto the Senate floor before gluing his hand to them. You are culpable for the deaths of five trans children. Yep, God forbid, we tell the truth. He had reached out previously on six occasions to meet with the Senator, but never received a response. He's documented the rise of anti transit, anti LGBTQ rhetoric and legislation on his website, Angry Gay Grandpa. Some took issue with his description of his protests as peaceful. I'm sorry, it's.
Speaker 2: Glue, Like yeah, really, it's glue.
Speaker 1: The money spent repairing damage done. Fuck all of you exactly, you know what, because your party is still responsible for January sixth in our nation's capital, and I'm never going to forget.
Speaker 2: And I'm getting sick and tired of this whole Like peaceful protest doesn't involve the destruction of property?
Speaker 1: The fuck it doesn't.
Speaker 2: First of all, First of all, who the fuck said we're trying to be peaceful anymore? Y'all want it to be peaceful. Y'all want it to just be marching and singing. Y'all wanted to go back to you know, the whatever the what you perceive to be the shiny happy kumbaya protests of uh.
Speaker 1: Which never the civil rights days. I'm sorry that that never happened. There were fire hoses.
Speaker 2: Remember, we want to talk about the people that are just sitting still. We don't want to talk about the dogs and the fire hoses and the batons. You know what I'm saying? So fuck peaceful? Whatever happened that? No justice, no peace?
Speaker 1: That's next, bitches, No peace, no justice, no peace.
Speaker 2: People try to say and ask whooping never changed anyone's mind. I'll just I up that with World War two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let let's remember the Pennsylvania Senate is still red and they behave accordingly. And your party has so much blood on its hands we can't begin to detail it. But you know, I hope he never pays that bill exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the thing, like.
Speaker 1: He knows the stage four cancer exactly.
Speaker 2: He's like, I got nutting to lose. I'm just going to be a pain in all of your asses.
Speaker 1: I know what good and how many people, how many I'm sorry, I have known this particular act of it. Not this man, but many like him who said I got nothing left to lose, right, and they created a change because of it.
Speaker 2: This is he wants this to be his legacy work. I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: Good good, And he didn't glue himself to a painting.
Speaker 2: Right, because art ain't never hurt nobody. These motherfuckers, however.
Speaker 1: Republican senate in Pennsylvania, across this nation, sure.
Speaker 2: I'm waiting for someone to glue themselves directly to an angry white man.
Speaker 1: But nobody wants to be glued to one of those. I don't want to be in a room with them.
Speaker 3: Loan, No, you're.
Speaker 4: Going to hear what I have, because then it defends on where is Because you know, he's going to try to turn around and fuck me and I'm not there for that, and then lie about it.
Speaker 1: You know how that goes.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they love us at night and then they legislate in the morning. Oh shop, I'm just saying we're not recording weekly, or we would have mentioned all of the Republicans that were, you know, arrested for child pornography or child assault or you know, all of those things, because there are many. But yeah, we're just hitting the highlights because it's been a minute. You know what, Let's just move right into our favorite segment.
Speaker 5: People taking pleasure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what do we have. This is from a few weeks ago, but it's still so juicy that it's worth talking.
Speaker 3: It really was.
Speaker 1: The pictures were so sad.
Speaker 2: The hetero Awesome fest and Idaho. First of all, if awesome is in the name of your event, it ain't.
Speaker 1: I know, I know. It's like when you call yourself a DV A girl, exactly girl, you is not. Yeah, the festival, go sit down.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was barely hetero.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: Nothing awesome about it, and I wouldn't call it a fest. No, tens of people showed.
Speaker 2: Up, threes of sevens of people.
Speaker 1: Fighting, low attendance and a racism scandal. How exciting.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because some fucking podcast was recording live and they were saying, how you know the town was so nice and clean and quiet, and then he leaned to the mic and said, there's no black people here?
Speaker 1: Who said that?
Speaker 2: The host of the podcast?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah wow. So it was one of those podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the ones that give everyone else like because there's.
Speaker 1: That whole name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going, yeah, there's that whole thing now, like how podcasts are bad and not helpful. It's like, no, y'all are just seeing these white yahoos with microphones screaming lies and hateful rhetoric, and those are the ones getting attention. Joe Rogan, I'm looking at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then you have folks.
Speaker 1: Like us but never the right question exactly.
Speaker 2: You have folks like us who actually give a shit about what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: You know, what's that meme that said he never asked questions about the patriarchy or capitalism exactly, any of the things he should be asking questions about. Right, It's almost like he ain't about shit.
Speaker 2: Right, That's that double edged sword. Anyone can have a podcast however that means, that means anyone anyway.
Speaker 1: I know, but they flocked to them.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: He placates all of their insecurities. He makes them feel better about themselves because women have had, like most of us, are done trying to make you feel better about that little dick.
Speaker 2: So you need Joe Rogan to help you explain your life to you and say it's our fault. I was in an uber and the white driver was like, is it okay if I'm listening to a podcast? And I was like, sure, I don't care, that's cool. He's like, it's Joe Rogan. I immediately gave him one star Daigan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nope, not that one. And baby, if you don't know better, you know, I ain't here to cheech.
Speaker 2: I was already listening to whatever I was going to listen to anyway. Just why didn't know. But once he said Joe Rogan, nope, one star, fuck you. And I believe my my justification for my one star was the lack of cleanly in the vehicle, because I counted that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that did filthy it.
Speaker 2: Up right anyway. So the fucking hetero awesome Fest held in Boise Idah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people actually go to pride events exactly. They managed to draw attention for all the wrong reasons. I say, just four dozen people attended two's of fives of people. About thirty to fifty I guess, depending on whether AI was involved in your photograph or not attended Hetero Awesome Fest across the two days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and most of those were queer people looking to see what.
Speaker 1: Was up right, Like, what the fuck is you doing?
Speaker 2: I think there were more queer people at the Hetero Awesome Fest than hetero people.
Speaker 1: This is roughly the size of the Self Proclaim aimed world's smallest Pride parade in twenty twenty three, held in a neighborhood of around forty people. Similar straight pride events have a long history of attracting laughably low turnout. One event in California in twenty nineteen turned out just twenty attendees in comparison to the two hundred pro LGBTQ plus protesters, and an event the same year in Texas organized by the people who hosted Boston's failed straight Pride parade attracted just three people, one of whom later said she did not know what the event was whatever and rebuked it a street. She could have just been walking by and stopped to look.
Speaker 2: A straight pride parade. Isn't that just traffic?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes it is.
Speaker 1: It's traffic on any given day. The Sal Paulo Gay Pride in Brazil is considered the largest pride celebration in the world, attracting about three two five a million attendees every year.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of fagg It's.
Speaker 1: The largest celebrations in North America are Toronto Pride and New York City Pride, which each attract millions annually.
Speaker 2: Yeah. New York Pride is its own animal, Joe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as they tried it once again, they got a wall and they limited the women who are willing to fuck them all. In all, it worked out well.
Speaker 2: Now. The best though, is the musician who performed Okay, that's this thing. Yeah, Daniel Hamrick was the was one of the musicians and he mocked. Yeah. He got up on the stage and he like took off his overshirt and underneath he had a jacket with a rainbow and pink triangle patches on it and a crop top that read keep Canyon County Queer. And then he played a song titled Boy about a young trans boy. I saw the video and the song was fun and it was like you could it like took people a while to realize what he was saying because nobody's paying attention.
Speaker 1: And well all forty eight of them were talking amongst.
Speaker 2: Themselves, right, and they cut his mic and then like made him get off stage.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, no, what that's fun?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a healthy t he behind that shit ones of twos of people.
Speaker 1: So maybe this will be the thing. But the Trump administration seems to be. First of all, they're starting to eat their I mean, just google it, but that you know that they're fighting amongst themselves. Yes, and of course Musk is trading barbs with Trump, and all of a sudden, the horseshit is happening. But somehow the Epstein tapes file story have re emerged. Well you know Jeffrey Epstein, Epstein, Epstein.
Speaker 2: Epstein, who cares he did the and didn't kill himself, right, the.
Speaker 1: Child sex trafficker who Donald Trump was I mean quite literally in bed with. I mean there's more. There are more photographs with Donald Trump and Jeffrey Epstein than there are with his last two kids. He's got more pictures with Jeffrey than he does with Tiffany or barn probably put together. I'm just saying that what I'm just saying they had promised to release the list along with other files from the investigation, but they won't. Why could that be? Why could that be? I don't know, let's think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Most recently, Elon Musk posted on x alleging that Trump is named in the Epstein files. Of course he is saying, that's why the administration is withholding them from the public. I don't doubt.
Speaker 2: That He's probably not the top of the list.
Speaker 1: Is what it takes for them to tell the truth is them to like bruise one another's little fragile heges, it's so much fun to watch. He provided no evidence, but hey, neither just the president. Since deleted the post, Rachel Madow said there is a Jeffrey Epstein Donald Trump's subplot in Our Lives Now in which this footage exists, and in which the Trump Justice Department put out a statement today saying, never mind all the things we ever said and hyped and screamed about the late pedophile Jeffrey Epstein. Turns out it's all nothing and people should stop asking about it. I don't think that's what they said about basically, it is right. And then they're like, but if it does exist, Hillary did it or something?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, She slammed the DOJ for a newly released memo stating that, following an exhaustive review, there was no incriminating client list and no further disclosure would be appropriate or warranted. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the memo concluded, of course, that Epstein took his own life, attempting to shoot down the widely circulated theory that he was murdered in his cell to keep him quiet about the clients.
Speaker 2: Because that's what happened. You can's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not even a conspiracy theory.
Speaker 3: That is right.
Speaker 2: Come on, it's not a matter of whether, it's a matter of who.
Speaker 1: The kind of Yeah, and I believe that with everything, they want us to stop talking about it, and nobody is stopping, and people are like burning their maga hats. Yeah, this might be the thing. I like, we've been telling you he's a pedophile. We've been telling you. I mean, they knew he was a rapist. They didn't care about that. But maybe whatever tapes are out there and whatever evidence is out there, maybe this will do it.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So it's okay for him to grab pussies as long as the pussies are of age. I guess I'm.
Speaker 1: Right, But they're not always. And that's the whole thing, which never were. This was the whole thing, and they were. They were thick as thieves. And you know, it's fun about this whole thing when you hire stupid people who have no idea what they're doing in the first place. Hilarity ensus and it is in suing and they're eating their own Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because like there's that video that's resurfacing of Robin Williams from an old bit talking about Trump, and people are saying, like trying to say Robin Williams was like prophetic. He wasn't being prophetic. He was talking about what was going on at the time.
Speaker 1: Everybody knew when before Donald Trump was exactly everybody knew, and anyone of decency was disgusted by the way he called for Obama's birth certificate.
Speaker 3: And yet.
Speaker 1: You know, he took the most marginalized economically and educationally among us and added them to the mix along with whatever the fuck he had. Elon Musk do I would love to hear that, right, But somebody said, like, we'll stop the ban on Tesla's and start buying them if you just tell us how you fix this selection, because that's the only thing that makes any goddamn sense.
Speaker 2: Exactly. But my favorite part of the Robin Williams bit was talking about Trump owning the beauty pageants and he was like, that's a little too much like Michael Vick owning a series of pet stores.
Speaker 1: Thank you, same thing? Well said, yeah, yeah, I mean this is real. It's been up, you know, following him, and I do. If this is what it takes, you know, to shake people out of this cult, I'm.
Speaker 2: Here for it for real, because lord, he's been a fucking punchline for forty goddamn years at this point.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: But you're apparently so uncomfortable right now, you're threatening to revoke Rosie O'Donnell's citizenship. You ridiculous motherfucker. It's not bad enough that they're you know, potentially gutting medicare et cetera, which is going to affect many of their constituents, of course, but this is like, what are you even talking about? What even they are going?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What revoke her. Wait what he was born in Long Island, you motherfucker exactly?
Speaker 2: You know that imas? It just popped in my head.
Speaker 3: What so.
Speaker 2: Follow me so in it? In the movie, it the the creature. It feeds on your fear right, and once you're not afraid of it, he doesn't have power on you. And so at the end of the movie, the kid, they defeated him by just yelling, insulted him until he started getting smaller and smaller, until God, yank is hard out.
Speaker 1: I'm like, maybe, oh, maybe, maybe, maybe you know what, I.
Speaker 2: Leave it there.
Speaker 1: Maybe if they're so uncomfortable that they're imploding and turning on each other, I'm here for all of it. Yeah, I am here for all of it. And this is one of the things I said before we watched the last four year term and it became such a sideshow that actually nothing got done and nothing of you know, nothing happened in any direction after a very short period of time, and the history may very well repeat because he's insane and everyone he's hired to run our government is inept. Yeah, they're just sick of fans. That's it. That's their qualification for the jobs they have. And how many times? Are we going to have a flood in Texas killing children? Yeah, before you all start to think twice about firing the meteorologists and talking about eliminating FEMA. How many times y'all going to do that? Right before you start to say, oh, oh yeah, some problems are bigger than states' rights. Yeah, yeah, I don't know. They're scrambling like they're very uncomfortable about all this. So I'm here for it. You know, it could not be more richly deserved, and you know, it's kind of a bright little light in the shit storm that has been twenty twenty five. This has been your moment of.
Speaker 5: Try people taking pleasure and.
Speaker 1: Main I've missed it so right, So I'm wondering, do you have all fifteen minute favor that you would like to share to take us out to the next great I deal. You've had a month to think about this, it better be good.
Speaker 2: Oh I've had like ten since the last.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, But where did you land?
Speaker 2: The most recent one is very very appropriate? Okay, I'm trying to remember how it even came back into my head, or maybe it just I was You know, how you get an earworm and you start singing a song. So from the album Around the World in a Day, Press Prints and the Revolution, it's the song America.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: It's just it just speaks to so much of what's going on, corruption and you know, divisiveness, and you know, I just mm hmmm. It just seems like the perfect songs. So we're gonna go out to the break with America by Prince and.
Speaker 3: Yes we'll be riper, mister Prince.
Speaker 1: Mum kum.
Speaker 5: Make it done, Dumaism stop the.
Speaker 2: Con a mincer and.
Speaker 5: Over the words, don Dad come, dumb bad gotchas dumba the dump bab.
Speaker 2: De bochum.
Speaker 5: This baby, every one from Jungle Monkey Cage, drank it.
Speaker 2: Open, umbles bad.
Speaker 5: She's beIN up being back she had she ain't in with bad bo dots dots up.
Speaker 2: Up h.
Speaker 1: H And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: That's a jam, right, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, rick At, your voice is so problematic in himself. But I'm remembering when he said, when he was talking about prayer and you know some whatever, like, you know, why weren't my prayers to answer? Well, God was busy giving aids to babies in Africa. I mean that's the line that came into my head hearing that song again and again. Problematic. But the greater point is, you know, we are not just the prayer, but the answer to the prayer.
Speaker 3: We're it.
Speaker 1: No one's coming.
Speaker 2: God helps those who help themselves and all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God is not flying in on a cloud. That is not happening. And you know part of the problem is you y'all think it is, and y'all think you will be removed from all the hell that you create, and that's not how this will go down.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of that joke like the flood and the person's on the hill and the water's rising and and he's like, I'm waiting for the Lord. And then a rowboat comes by and like get in the boat. He was like, no, no, no, no, I'm going to stay here and wait for the Lord. And then a helicopter goes by and then they're like, you know, get in. The helicopter's like no, no, no, no, I'm going to sit here.
Speaker 1: I'm going to wait for the Lord.
Speaker 2: And then the helicopter goes away, and then the waters rise and the guy drowns, and then he gets to heaven and he goes, how come you didn't save me a.
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Well, and that's you know, right, same same, yeah, idea we did this to ourselves, or we created this system where it was possible. I mean, I don't I don't care how you turn it over, but you know, greed allowed us. Yeah, you know, division, forgetting the fact that we're all connected, forgetting the fact that we only have one planet, forgetting the fact.
Speaker 3: That if you.
Speaker 1: Support someone because they hate the same people you hate, you might also get in the crosshairs. Then what, I don't know how we find our way back. I really don't worr if we ever do, but I know my last nervous being tried, right. And yeah, we've listened to a lot of the protest songs lately. Shaw, It's time for the cavalcade of nonsense, which I'm going to try to speed through.
Speaker 2: This one from a while ago.
Speaker 1: It is, but the Navy stripped Harvey Milk's name, Harvey Milk Navy veterans name half of a ship Heart Yeah, named in his honor. You to insult us and to grade us at a time when they are removing transgender troops.
Speaker 2: But the upside of that is the conversation about Harvey Milk got renewed because talking about him and his legacy in talking about why it was an insult. So the opposite thing actually happened.
Speaker 1: More people now know who Harvey Milk was and why his name matters than knew before. So it took some paint off a boat. I hope like this is like, these are the biggest problems we have, right.
Speaker 2: Oh and sidebar, I told you how for research purposes, I was listening to our earliest podcast episodes. I came across the episode where we talked about Tucker Carlson. I believe it was when he was trying to discredit the intelligence of Judge Katanji Brown Jackson.
Speaker 3: Yes, Ma, who.
Speaker 2: And so Tucker Carlson when he was in college. Yeah, Tuckham's he was a member of the Dan White Appreciation Society.
Speaker 1: Was a case who murdered both Harvey Milk and may Or Mosconi. Yeah that one just thought, right, Yeah, yeah, celebrating the worst of the patriarchy. Yeah, here's another note from armageddon. The US Supreme Court ruled six to three that Tennessee's law banning gender firm and care for transgender youth while allowing the same treatments for youth who aren't trans does not constitute sex based discrimination and therefore does not violate the Equal Protection Clause of the fourteenth Make it make sense exactly. In her scathing descent, Sodomayor said, the court's decision will do irrevocable damage to the equal Protection Clause and invite legislatures to engage in discrimination by hiding blatant sex classifications in plane sight, yep, by refusing to apply heightened scrutiny, the majority renders transgender Americans doubly vulnerable to state sanctioned discrimination. In sadness I dissent, she was of course, joined by Katanji Brown Jackson, and Elena Kagan. She argued that the Tennessee law explicitly discriminates on the basis of both sex and gender, as it does right as it expressly classifies on the basis of sex and transgender status. Sins male but not female adolescents can receive medicines that help them look like boys, and female but not male adolescents can receive medicines that help them look like girls. So once again, you know, we of course honor cist people and marginalize and do not care about trans people and codify it into law, because that's what happens when you let someone like Donald Trump pick Supreme Court justices. Yeah, this case presents an easy question whether SBI's ban on certain medications applicable only if used in a manner inconsistent with sex whatever, contains a sex classification because sex determines access to the covered medications. It clearly does, Yet the majority refuses to call a spade a spade.
Speaker 3: Get it.
Speaker 1: She also noted that the ruling contradicts one of the Court's previous decisions in Bostock, which prevents employment discrimination against trans people under Title seven. Yeah, you can't make sense of this. You can't right this. Our Supreme Court was bought and paid for and they are delivering bullshit. Every major medical and psychiatric association in America, of note, of course, stands against this bullshit, and every decent study says the same thing. But they would rather see us dead. And I you know, speaking of which, Oh, speaking of which. So, the Trump administration also eliminated the LGBTQ youth specific specialists in the suicide hotline. So nine to eight they eliminated effect of July seventeenth. So it's happening. The Press three feature, which connects callers under twenty five with counselors trained in LGBTQ issues, it will be removed to focus on serving all help seekers. According to SAMSHA, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, if this is not dystopian, I don't know what it is. I know SAMSHA, which used to be a very legitimate organization, but unfortunately it's run by the psychopath, said it will no longer silo LGB plus. They've already SAMSHA yeah, erased the t Yeah, they've already done that. They will no longer silo those youth. The Trevor Project, originally this sole contractor for the program, became one of seven partners and a sub network serving over one point three million queer youth that this administration doesn't want to live.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: The Trevor Project, of course, can still be reached directly. Canada has stepped in to share their line. We will publish the multiple lines that are still available, but this is disgusting. Samshaw maintains that help Us still available through the general hotline. Everyone who contacts the lifeline will continue to receive access to skilled care and culturally competent crisis counselors, except we don't talk about trans people anymore. Right, you can't be culturally competent when you eliminate an entire population the t I don't give a fuck what the White House said about this. It's disgusting behavior and Samsha means nothing. Right now, they've been corrupted. I mean, they're supposed to be our gold standard and they are worthless, much like the University of Pennsylvania at the moment. Well well no, by the way, after trans people were erased, Trump has now erased bisexual people from the Stonewall National Monument, So everybody who made created Stonewall gone. It's such bizarre behavior. It's such disgusting, repulsive. How do you explain this other than you know what it is.
Speaker 3: It's all gross, of course it is.
Speaker 1: The Only reason there was a Stonewall Monument is to commemorate what happened there, and they're trying to erase the message, the people and the meaning of that location because our country is no longer working in any way for us. They're working to erase us in every way possible. M Simone Biles had to deactivate her x account after comments about transition to athletes. All she basically said was not at all. That's ridiculous, right, And she wasn't even all that supportive because she basically wanted to throw us into a third category. And still right, the maggots came after her and such full force that she deactivated the account. That's fun.
Speaker 2: And then you mentioned you pen and Leah Thomas stripping away her.
Speaker 1: Med They've stripped away her medals because you know, Trump threatened I don't know, one hundred and seventy five million dollars worth of grants if they didn't comply. So they complied. Yeah, so fuck the trainees.
Speaker 3: And you know, my my.
Speaker 1: I went to school there, sent my kids to school there. I worked there for a lot of years and fucked them. And it's a crazy cowardice because you know what they have built up their call. First they have billions, but for one hundred and seventy five million, they sacrificed all of us.
Speaker 2: Yep, Like I said, I was going back and listening to our earliest episodes, and the first one I listened to was when Leah Thomas had just qualified to be able to compete in the race that she ultimately came in fifth.
Speaker 1: Right, All right, fine institutions bowing to Nazism is not they've lost their way. You know, when you capitulate to a Nazi, you have lost your fucking way.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: One thing Amy Gutman did was solidify that fucking endowment. They have billions of dollars that they could withstand this motherfucker and stand up for what's right, because that's what the academy is supposed to do. But they weighed it and said, fuck the trainees. That's what they did, basically.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and more and more people are doing it, including Sam Shaw. But at least I know Sam she is under their control, is under the federal government's control. Pen wasn't right, But yeah, I don't know what I mean, Dear God. I was so fortunate to work there under a real leader, and I can't imagine that Judy Roden would have done this. I can't. I just can't. Should have found another way because that's what she did, and whoever is making these decisions now, shame on them anyway. Simone Biles had to leave X, and X is a sewer anyway, So thanks for what you did say, even though it was separate but equal and sorry you're going through that, but yeah, that's what they do.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 1: Yep, let's go to break and cleanse our palates so we can get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 3: We'll be right, buck, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: We are going to pop the culture and cleanse our palate. Yay.
Speaker 2: So a whole bunch of black stars, most of which, if not all of what are long passed due, are getting their stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six, and it's so exciting. Most recently, Glenn Turmin got his on July tenth. Okay, Glenn Turmin. I believe his first major role was in.
Speaker 1: A Risin in the Sun, right, Oh no, wait, that was his Broadway debut in nineteen fifty nine, alongside Sydney Poitier.
Speaker 2: Right, I was thinking coolly high.
Speaker 1: Okay, But he went on to.
Speaker 2: His most famous role was as Colonel Taylor on the series A Different World.
Speaker 1: Oh right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But he's been kicking ass and taking names, and I'm glad he's getting honored. Nia Long is going to be honored in the Motion Pictures category, the Isley Brothers and the Recording category sure Television for whatever reason, Courtney b Vance, Corney B Vance, I love Corney b Vans, Fantasia Fantasia, Busta Rhymes, and the recording category. I mean, he's also an actor, so it makes sense. Prince Prince posthumously, mister Copeland, the Group War Uh yeah, Misty Copeland, Bill Bill douk Wo, I love Brandy, the Clark Sisters, Bone Thugs and Harmony, which is interesting, but okay, Sure, Keith David is the reason why this came to mind in the first place, because he's going to be getting his soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a whole wide swath of folks and I'm just glad to see it.
Speaker 3: So we watched.
Speaker 2: We were able to watch a bunch of things.
Speaker 1: Yes, queer, Yes, because we had the fourth of July weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Free.
Speaker 1: We spent it in front of the television.
Speaker 2: Yes, watching everything queer and well not that we could find.
Speaker 1: We watched I'm Your Venus, Yes.
Speaker 2: The Venus Extravaganza documentary recently released.
Speaker 1: Yes on net I believe so or HBO one of them. But what is interesting was the tie in because we were at the Garden State Equality Ball, Yes, and funds raised by the folks from Ballroom who were there and performed, were going toward the house where House of Venus Venus extravagancea live. Yes, I'm your Venus is her story. It's the story of her brothers getting her name changed posthumously, yes, in order to correct her grave mark.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: And as part of that is raising the funds to continue right the house that is a monument to our existence and now, and.
Speaker 2: Also getting her center I believe or you know, yes, getting her murder case reopened.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was a really beautiful documentary. It was really interesting to in touching to me seeing her.
Speaker 1: Straight older brothers, her straight.
Speaker 2: Older brothers like total yo yo jersey dudes, but talking about Venus and using she and her pronouns and talking about the ballroom and the House of Extravaganza.
Speaker 1: Not things that happened during her life.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they admit that they didn't necessarily do right by her when she was alive. They were actually very surprised to hear from Venus's house siblings that she didn't always have the best feelings toward her family, and they were like acting like why would she say these things? And it's like, really, dude, why, Yeah, but that seems so surprised when they see themselves reflected in our eyes. Right, Yeah, but yeah, so that was that was the hard part of that.
Speaker 1: Yes, watching that, I mean, yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 2: The apartment where Venus lived is uh, they're trying to make it.
Speaker 1: A well, it's a house, a bedroom and a house.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The house where Venus lived is.
Speaker 1: Now in I believe, Jersey City, right.
Speaker 2: Being designated as a historical marker, and.
Speaker 1: I want to say they're using it as a home, I believe, folks, or yeah, a resource center otherwise a resource for for a trans book.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's an amazing organization that did this. It's a wonderful documentary. It is, it is and I recommend it.
Speaker 1: Parts of it were hard for me to watch, but well, yeah, it led us to rewatch Paris is Burning.
Speaker 2: Yes, which is always a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which led us to start rewatching Posts, yes, which we're still doing. We're in season three now.
Speaker 2: Yes, which I refer to in between bouts of ugly crying as this fucking show.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of crying in Well.
Speaker 2: It occurred to me like when we first watched Pose, we were watching it as first run television with everybody else. So we're watching it a week at a time, So you sit there for an hour and you ugly cry, and then you have seven days to regroup. But yeah, binging it like after four episodes, I'm just wrong the fuck out. Yeah, I mean yeah, because you're crying because happy tears and sad tears and wistful tears, just tears and tears and tears. Right, my god, this fucking shout.
Speaker 1: But it's so good, well, and that you know, it's more important now than ever to revisit, And.
Speaker 2: It's so cool that we're watching Pose after just having watched Paris Is Burning and I'm your Venus and realizing how much of contemporar very queer culture stemmed from not just ballroom but Paris is Burning specifically. Sure, you know, it's just so many catchphrases, and don't get me started on how many of them RuPaul has lifted directly and uses on the show all of the time.
Speaker 1: So an interesting part of Pose, which we just kind of got passed with how when Madonna's Vogue came out, they all thought they were finally going to get the recognition they deserved, which didn't really happen.
Speaker 2: They got attention for a minute, the five minutes that people were paying attention, that straight white people were paying attention, and then the next big thing happened and that's where the focus went.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is kind of like Paris is Burning, where nobody got him. Did they get paid at all?
Speaker 2: Not enough if they did well? My whole thing with Paris is Burning. And Jenny Livingston, who did Paris is Burning, she is was a consulting producer on Pose, which I sound interesting, but when when she was doing the press tours, like the talk show tours for Paris Is Burning, she was like, on I'm thinking of like Donahue. She's sitting there with Paris Dupree and Dorian Corey and and and these folks, and she's doing all the talking. She's talking about them as if they weren't there, right, right, And nobody asked any of these people questions directly.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I remember watching that clip and just getting mad, like, ask Paris, She's right fucking there, and again it's it, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And knowing the storylines and then watching Pose where they picked up and added the storylines. Yeah, it's fun like the trunk.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I was saying to you, Okay, So when Dory and Corey and Paris is Burning is sitting there doing her makeup and everything off camera and behind her is that fucking trunk that entire time?
Speaker 3: What a body?
Speaker 2: And I'm wondering if she how she explained the smell when Jenny came in with the camera, show it.
Speaker 4: Is what it is.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad this you know, it all exists in the cannon.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm so excited that I have that autograph picture from Paris is Burning, autographed by Dorry and Corey, uh, that I snagged at a sidewalk sale one day in the gighborhood. I was like, you wink mine yep, my mom, Jane, Yes, this was fabulous.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Madushka Hagert's story about her mother and Jane mans to know her mother, about our Jane Mansfield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she was what three when she died.
Speaker 1: I believe Salliam or yeah, little, she was little.
Speaker 3: She was in the car. She was in the car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she has no firsthand memories of her mother.
Speaker 2: She was in the car that day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, oh shit. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: The kids survived and Jane didn't. But she wove such a story, including finding out. You know, her family is not comprised the way she thought it was. I don't want to give too much away, but the interesting thing to me was that all of these family members honored her all this time in not making the story public until she wanted, right, Yeah, you know, it's it's a it's a love story to her mother was not you know, one dimensional ast as complicated human as everyone is, and her trying to come to a better understanding of her and and her great love for her father Mickey Haggerton, Yes, and her deep abiding respect for him. And you know, the plot Twiss I did not see coming.
Speaker 2: Right, but you don't often get plot twiss in a documentary.
Speaker 1: No, but it was handled brilliantly, and it really was.
Speaker 2: It was obviously done with so much love and respect. Yeah, I highly recommend.
Speaker 1: And I think it was clear also that she's a good person. Yeah, is you know, a good person who is respected in her family and by so many others, and so worth watching. I agree, truly, truly worth watching. I agree. We also watched Ironheart.
Speaker 2: Yes, so Ironheart. I'm part of me is upset that they released it in two chunks. It was six episodes and they released three episodes and then three episodes, and now the whole thing's done, so I don't have it to look forward to anymore. But I really enjoyed iron Heart, especially considering all the unnecessary hate that it received before it came out. While it was on, like it got review bombed because the white fanboys anything involving anyone black or a woman, So this is a black woman, just can't fucking take it. Iron Heart is about ree Rey Williams, who was a teenage genius who built her own Iron Man suit in an MIT because she could, is what she will tell you, but really is because her stepfather and her best friend were killed by gun violence, so she wanted to create the suit as a way to aid first responders because had there, had they gotten there quicker, her friend and her stepfather stood be alive. So that was the real reason. And you know, she was a risk taker. She didn't follow anybody's rules. So she ended up getting kicked out of MIT, and she took the suit with her that she built with the grant money that she got while she was at MIT, and so of course the white families were like, she's a criminal. You're building a show around a criminal. Wow, right, and then you know she gets caught up in this ragtag group of of Okay, they were criminals.
Speaker 1: Actually, so you would recommend I.
Speaker 2: Would highly recommend Shake Hule has a role. She plays a character named Slug who is a hacker extraordinaire. Anthony Ramos has a role as the Hood. It's a very cool show, and it made white fanboys very angry, which you know is a plus because it's primarily people of color. There's one one white character is supporting, but mostly the white folks are the villains. It just worked out that way. It's a great show and I'm looking forward to see how they weave it into the greater MCU again because the character was introduced in Wakanda Forever, the second Black Panther movie, and so we'll see how it works in the greater scheme of things. But Ironheart was very cool.
Speaker 1: I love Sinners. Yes, came to whatever the hell we're calling HBO today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Max, Yeah, I think it's back to HBO, Max, now.
Speaker 1: Okay whatever, Yeah, yeah, that one, it's there.
Speaker 2: It hit HBO on July fourth, and we watched it and that was like the first thing I was like, I want to watch sinners. I want to want you haven't seen it yet, and I want to see it again.
Speaker 1: You watched it in the movie, Yeah, I went.
Speaker 2: To the to the movies while you were in Class I's and that I you know, I love that movie.
Speaker 1: And it was a vampire movie. Yes, which I'm I'm okay with vampire.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: It's like you went to say it like you alone, because but it's it doesn't really fit the genre that I do not like horror, right, but I don't. This is not the same thing, right.
Speaker 2: There's an argument trying to say it's not a horror movie, like, but it is, though.
Speaker 1: I don't think it is.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I mean it is, It's just not typical. It's not typical anything movie. I think like it's unique story.
Speaker 1: But I mean, like I liked True Blood, so it Yeah, anyway, good movie, No note.
Speaker 2: I love it and of course done. My favorite scene is the scene in the juke joint where he's singing in like all the ancestors and progeny are called forth and you have all these different genres occupying the same space. H Right, Twice I saw it twice.
Speaker 1: I cried it was it was well done. Yes, It was well done, worth the time. Really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: And now if you asked to come into a black person's house, they're gonna make you eat garlic first. Black folks gonna be keeping garlic by the door, and if you ask to come in, they're gonna make you eat it first. Just know it's to come in, Know what's happening, make peace with it.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It was well done, Yes, really good.
Speaker 2: Ryan Coogler should direct everything, okay.
Speaker 1: And then the last thing we watched today quickly was the logo Legends Roundtable for Jings Monson and it was entertainment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was seeing these clips online of all these wonderful queer figures honoring Jing's monsoon. I was wondering what that was about. And we saw the whole thing today. It was a cool uh round table of queer entertainers including a Loake and Bendela crem Murray Hill.
Speaker 1: A new artist I forget her name, uh a NAIs say something like her name.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I had shown you a clip of her singing maybe this time.
Speaker 1: Yes, since she's got she's got a voice, she's got pipes, yes.
Speaker 2: And I was looking at her her Instagram profile and then I saw a reference to the panel and I was like, oh shit.
Speaker 1: That's her, got it, got it? And then who sang?
Speaker 2: Oh Plasma? Plasma came on and sang what songs you sing? Happy days are here again?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Plasma is going to be a Jinx level performer one day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean and Jinks monson, if you take a look at what she's doing, she's even in this climate and environment. I mean, you know, taking these roles on Broadway and fuck and nailing them and making them her own. She's she's just she's a huge talent.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like Jinks is going to be a star regardless. She just like drag Race gave her the platform.
Speaker 1: To like and she's taken it and been smart with it. And yeah, yeah, so it.
Speaker 2: Was fun and I love how many drag Race queens have made their way through Broadway now. And one could argue Jinks was the the Beacon, hey, because so far we got Jinks, we got Pepperman has been on Broadway and I believe nominated for Tony Marsha. Marsha. Marsha is still currently in in Cabaret. He was an Oh Mary that is a coal Escola. Yes, but I do believe Jinks is going to.
Speaker 1: Be taking over. I think for Cole, I know that's what I saw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Cole does it is Cole wrote and originally performed in it. Titus Burgess has been doing it for a while, and then Cole came back, and then I think Jinx is going to be next.
Speaker 1: Yes, that representation matters. It's happening, even amidst all that who's struck well right.
Speaker 2: What I really enjoyed about the round Table is seeing all like this, this collection of queer people who are accomplished, just you know, like having space together and celebrating one another. And I love it. It is possible, yes, and I love it in our own life. I love when that happens, Like I love especially feeling that, like when we're at the Governor's mansion at the Equality ball, you know, or are the programming that we we do, like the spaghetti dinner for instance. I just love being in either a only queer space or primarily queer space and we're all like together and we're each who we are, but we're being that together.
Speaker 3: I just love that.
Speaker 2: I love that energy.
Speaker 1: I'm lifting one another up and celebrating one another's successes and holding one another's you know, when it gets hard. That's what it should be, exactly. And that's the only kind of collective we've put our energy toward.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, and that's all we have for pop culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all I got.
Speaker 2: So I think now it would be a good time to do some podcast business. If you haven't already, why don't you swing on by Apple Podcasts or Good Pods or wherever you enjoy our show and leave us a review or a rating or hit that subscribe button five stars and more. Please follow us on social at Full Circle Thepod on Instagram and threads at Full Circle the Podcast on TikTok. You can follow Martha at Imartha Madrigal everywhere. Her writing can be found at I Ammarthamadrigal dot WordPress dot com, I am at Never Stirred Everywhere, or you can just visit our link tree, linktree slash Full Circle Thepod. If you have a story, idea, or some gossip, or just want to say hi and tell us we're doing a great job, drop us a line at ask Full Circlepod at gmail dot com. We'd love to hear from you. You could also consider supporting Full Circle the podcast by becoming a patron at our Patreon Patreon dot com slash Full Circle Thepod. Starting at just a three dollars a month tier, you get access to all of our episodes ad free and before everyone else. Then starting at the six dollars a month here, you get access to our behind the scenes and bonus footage, and it only gets better from there. It's fun. Over at the Patreon, you can also check out our Discord channel Full Circle of the Podcast podcast business over.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's all I got right now, Okay, yeah, yeah, it's July.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: It is July.
Speaker 2: Happy anniversary as of tomorrow.
Speaker 1: As of tomorrow, tomorrow is July fourteenth, and that is our the thirteenth anniversary of our.
Speaker 2: First Yes, the OG anniversary. Ognis our wedding anniversaries in March and our OG anniversaries in Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, then, until next time, I'm your host Martha Madrigal.
Speaker 2: And I'm your host Charles Tyston Junior.
Speaker 1: And you've been listening to Full Circle the Podcast. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Bye everyone.
Speaker 2: Full Circle is a Never Skurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Produced and edited by Never Skurd Executive produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.