Speaker 1: All right, so today we are going to take a deep dive into the world of Unix operating systems. Yeah, we've got a whole bunch of sources here, a textbook, some manual pages, even a bit of code. Cool, and we're going to try to break it all down so we can really understand you Andix, even if you've never thought about becoming a programmer yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's worth understanding, I think. Right, Unix may seem kind of like this hidden thing in the background, right, but it's actually running a huge chunk of the Internet. Oh yeah, most people probably use it every day without even realizing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Yeah, I was clipping through this textbook and it says that most Internet servers actually run on Unix. That's right, which is crazy. I had no idea. But this deep dive is going to go beyond that big picture stuff. Okay, you'll get to see the practical side of things took, like how to move around the file system, use text editors, even peek into system programming.
Speaker 2: Sounds good.
Speaker 1: Are you ready to jump in?
Speaker 2: Let's do it?
Speaker 1: Okay, First things first, Like what iuniis U and IX. It's an operating system. Right, But what does that even mean?
Speaker 2: Well, you can think of an operating system kind of like the conductor of an orchestra.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It manages all the different parts of a computer, the memory, the storage, the processor, make sure everything works together smoothly.
Speaker 1: I see. So it's like the behind the scenes organizer exactly, making sure everything runs on time. And this textbook mentions that there are different types of operating systems, like single user and multi user, and it says that U and IX is both multi user and multiprocess.
Speaker 2: What's the difference. So, a multi user system just means that multiple people can use the computer at the same time, each with their own accounts and files matcha, and multiprocess means that the system can run multiple programs simultaneously.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about multiple people using the system, it's about the system itself being able to juggle lots of tasks at once.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. Yeah, that makes a lot more sense why it's so popular for servers Yeah, right, that need to handle lots of requests simultaneously.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's say I'm like logging into UNX for the first time. Yep, it's a little intimidating. I can see that it's all command line, no fancy buttons or icons. Yeah, where do I even start?
Speaker 2: It can feel like entering a new world, you know, with its own language. Yeah, but don't worry, We've got some excerpts here, okay to make it a lot easier. It's like learning a few key phrases to get around in a foreign country.
Speaker 1: I like that analogy. Ye, you'll find information on how to connect to a UNCX machine, right, how everything's organized, and some basic commands to get started exactly.
Speaker 2: Like, for instance, you'll learn about paths paths. Yeah, paths might seem confusing at first, but they're really just like addresses for your files. Like imagine a filing cabinet with folders inside folders. Okay, a path just tells you how to get to a specific file within that structure.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love this idea of a home directory that I see explained in this textbook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your home directory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like your own personal workspace, a virtual desk where all your files are kept. Absolutely makes it feel a lot more manageable. Once you're in your home directory, the l's command becomes your best friend. That looks like it lists all the files in your current.
Speaker 2: Directory, and you can even use these things called flags flags yeah, to customize what you see, sort by date, show hidden files, even see file sizes.
Speaker 1: It's like a super powered file explorer right in the command line exactly. And then there's even a fine command right those times when you just can't remember the exact name of a file, right right, but you know it was created sometime last week, that's right. Yeah, talk about a lifesaver.
Speaker 2: Powerful tools.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've talked about logging in navigating the file system, right now, how about we talk about actually like getting things done, like editing files. Yeah, this textbook mentions these two text editors, VI and Emacs. I've heard they're kind of a big deal in the yuon X world.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Viz versus Emacs classic debate.
Speaker 1: What's the what are the key differences between those?
Speaker 2: Well, Viz especially, it's modern versions like Vimka. They're all about speed and efficiency.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: They use a modal interface, which means it has different modes for editing and sorting text, running commands.
Speaker 1: So you can zip around and edit text like a pro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once you learn those shortcuts.
Speaker 1: But switching between all those modes. Sounds like it could be confusing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it definitely has a learning curve.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what about emacs.
Speaker 2: EMAS is more than just a text editor. Oh, it's practically its own operating system.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: You can extend it with tons of packages for things like managing email. Wow, even playing games. No way, it's incredibly customizable.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: You can even automate tasks using keyboard macros.
Speaker 1: Wait, automate tasks. Tell me more about that.
Speaker 2: Imagine recording a sequence of actions okay, and then just replaying them with a single.
Speaker 1: C That sound amazing.
Speaker 2: UMAX makes that possible. Wow, that's why it's so beloved buy programmers. You know, I can see why you can automate repetitive tasks and just boost your productivity.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've learned how to navigate the file system, right, we've gotten a taste of these two powerful text editors. Yeah, before we move on to more advanced concepts. Okay, there's something I'm curious about. What's that security? Yes, especially in a multi user environment like you and IX, I bet keeping your files safe is a big deal.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you're right to bring that up. Yeah, the textbook has a whole chapter dedicated to file security. It does a really good job of explaining how you and IX protects your data.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm looking at the section on the triumud command okay, and to be honest, it looks a bit cryptic, all these letters and symbols.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: What's it all about.
Speaker 2: It's basically like setting the privacy settings on a social media post.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You decide who can see your files, who can edit them, who's blocked completely.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so you're controlling who has access to what. That makes a lot more sense now, okay, good, But wait, there are different levels of access right right, Like someone might be able to see a file but not change it.
Speaker 2: You're exactly right, okay. Every file has three types of permissions read, write, and execute okay, and you can set those permissions for three different categories of users, the owner of the file, a group that the file belongs to, and then everyone else.
Speaker 1: So it's like having different levels of access for your friends, family, and the general public exactly. You get to decide who gets to do what.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of it. That's pretty cool, it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Schmaud gives you like that fine grained control over all those permissions exactly. You can even set default permissions for new files using the UMAs command. That's right, so you don't have to manually set them every single time.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's like setting your baseline privacy preferences.
Speaker 1: This is all starting to click now, a whole system for protecting your digital belongings.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, In a multi user system, security is paramount, right, Unix provides a really robust framework for managing it.
Speaker 1: This has been a really insightful look into the basics of Unix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: We've covered a lot of ground, from understanding what an operating system is, to navigating the file system, even dipping our toes into the world of text editors and file security. We have, but there's still so much more to explore.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we're just getting started, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, stay tuned for part two of our Uniix deep dive.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. Welcome back to our Unax deep dive.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm ready for more.
Speaker 2: Last time, we covered a lot of the basics what Unix is and how to get around the filesystem and even those those legendary text editors. Yeah, are you ready to level up a.
Speaker 1: Bit, you bet, I am. I'm ready for the more technical stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I've always been curious about these mysterious processes. Yeah, and pipes out of those things have questions and like why should I care?
Speaker 2: So you'll find that processes are like the heartbeats of a U and IX system.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So imagine you're working on your computer. Okay, You've got your web browser open, maybe you're listening to music, and you're also editing a document. Each of those is a separate process running independently, doing its own thing.
Speaker 1: So each program I open is its own process exactly. Okay, So what's the operating system doing in all this?
Speaker 2: So the operating system is like the conductor of this whole process orchestra.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It made sure each process has the resources it needs, like memory and processing power, and that they don't interfere with each other.
Speaker 1: It's like a traffic cop.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a good analogy, making sure everything runs smoothly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: This source material mentions things like process creation and termination and a keeps command for monitoring them. It's like having a control panel for all the activity happening on my computer.
Speaker 2: You got it?
Speaker 1: That's really cool.
Speaker 2: Processes are constantly being created and terminated as you open and close programs, right, and the curious commands just lets you peek behind the curtain to see what's running.
Speaker 1: Now, what about pipes? Okay, those sound a little bit more like abstract.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you mentioned processes running independently. Huh, how do they work together if they need to share information?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like, how does that work?
Speaker 2: That's where pipes come in.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So think of a pipe as like a one way communication channel between processes. Okay, like imagine a factory assembly line. One process does its part, sends its output down the pipe, and the next process picks it up into something else with it.
Speaker 1: So it's like a chain of commands. Yeah, exactly, each process feeding into the next. Right, that's pretty efficient, it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This source material has this example of using a pipe in code. Okay, can we walk through that?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. So the example shows a parent process creating a pipe and then it forks. That means it creates a copy of itself. Oh wow, to make a child process. The parent process then writes data into the pipe okay, and the child process reads that data from the pipe.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's a really classic example of how processes can work together using pipes.
Speaker 1: So the parent process passes information to the child process through the pipe.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: You mentioned it was a one way channel. What if, like both processes try to write.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good question at the same time, so you can get this what's called a broken pipe error. Oh, if you're not careful about closing unused ends of the pipe.
Speaker 1: So it's like making sure you seal the envelope before sending the letter.
Speaker 2: That's a good analogy. Okay, so the message doesn't get lost.
Speaker 1: This is making a lot more sense now, Okay, good processes, pipes, it's all starting to come together. You know, we talked earlier about how most Internet servers run on you and IX, right, but I'm still not quite sure how that connects to like me browsing the web.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right to connect those dots. Yeah, that's where the magic of networking comes in. Okay, you and I plays a starring role, gotcha. The Internet relies on this set of rules called the TCPIP Protocol Suite.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Think of it as like the language that computers use to communicate with each other. Oh, okay, and you ANDIX is fluent in that language.
Speaker 1: So you ANDIX speaks the Internet's language exactly, But how does that actually like help me load a website?
Speaker 2: So imagine you're sending a letter, Okay, you need the recipient's address. Right on the Internet, every computer has a unique address called an IP address. Okay, So when you type a website address into your browser, your computer uses DNAs. Think of it as like a phone book for the Internet, okay, to look up the IP address of the web server Okay that's hosting that website.
Speaker 1: So my computer finds the server's address, and then what.
Speaker 2: Then your computer uses that TCPIP protocol to establish a connection with the server.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like dialing a phone number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Once that connection is established, your computer sends a request okay for the website's files okay, and the server sends them back, allowing your browser to display the web page. Wow.
Speaker 1: So UNIX is running on the server making sure it can speak the Internet's language and handle all those requests exactly coming from my computer and like countless others.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I see there's some specific tools in un and ix that help with this communication. You'll see telnet and FTP mentioned in our sources. I vaguely remember those from like my early Internet days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're kind of old school.
Speaker 1: Are they still relevant today? Will?
Speaker 2: They might seem old school?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They highlight some important concepts.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So tell net lets you connect to a remote computer and interact with it, oh wow, as if you were sitting right in front of it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And then FTP allows you to transfer files between computers.
Speaker 1: So they were like the precursors to yeah, exactly, more modern tools we use today for secure file sharing and a remote access exactly. Speaking of securecurity, yeah, I've heard that shastage is a more secure way absolutely connect to remote computers than telnet, you are.
Speaker 2: Correct, which stands for secure shell. It's basically like telnet with an added layer of security. It encrypts the communication okay between your computer and the remote server, gotcha, making it much harder for anyone to eavesdrop on your data.
Speaker 1: Okay. It's like sending a secret message, yeah, exact that only the recipient can decode.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we've gone from processes and pipes, yeah, to this vast network of computers that make up the Internet. Right, what's next on our UNAX journey Welcome back to our deep dive into the amazing world of Unix. We've explored like how it works, how it manages processes, and how it connects us all through the Internet. Now I'm really excited to kind of dig into this whole world of scripting and programming. I feel like this is where the real power of Unix comes to life.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right rpting and programming in you and I's allow you to like automate tasks, create custom tools, and really bend the system to your will.
Speaker 1: So I've seen shell scripting mentioned a lot in our sources, and there are examples in both bornshell and CShell. What exactly iss shell scripting and why are there different shells to choose from?
Speaker 2: Okay, so think of it this way. Imagine you do the same series of tasks on your computer every day, like backing up files or renaming a bunch of photos. Instead of doing it all manually, you can write a shell script that does it all for you with just one command.
Speaker 1: So it's like giving the computer a set of instructions to follow and it just does them automatically exactly. That sounds incredibly useful, especially for repetitive tasks. But you mentioned different shells. Why are there multiple options and how are they different?
Speaker 2: Different shells offer different features and syntax for writing your scripts. It's kind of like choosing between different dialects of the same language. The BORN shell, for example, is known for its simplicity and portability, making great choice for beginners. The CShell, on the other hand, offers more advanced features like job control and aliases, which can be helpful for more complex tasks, so.
Speaker 1: It's like choosing the right tool for the job. The source material also goes into concepts like variables, control flow, and passing arguments to scripts. It seems like there's a whole programming language within the shell itself.
Speaker 2: There is, and it's quite powerful. You can use variables to store information, you can use control flow statements like ifls and loops to make decisions and repeat actions. And you can even pass arguments to your scripts to make them more flexible.
Speaker 1: So if I'm understanding correctly, I could create custom commands that do exactly what I need them to do, even if it involves like multiple steps and decisions. That's amazing. Our source material also mentions using Python to interact with Unix. I know Python is this like super popular programming language, but how does it fit into the Unix world.
Speaker 2: Python is incredibly versable. It works seamlessly with Unx. You can use it to write everything from simple scripts to complex applications. And the great thing about Python is that it's designed to be readable, making it relatively easy to learn, even for beginners.
Speaker 1: So it's like a more user friendly way to kind of dive into the world of programming in Unix exactly.
Speaker 2: Python can interact directly with the operating system, making it ideal for tasks like managing files, controlling processes, and even working with networks. It's a really powerful combination.
Speaker 1: This has been an incredible journey. We've gone from the basic building blocks of Unix to understanding processes, pipes, networks, and now even scripting and programming. It's amazing to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.
Speaker 2: And what's truly remarkable is that Unix, despite its age, is still the foundation for so much of today's technology. The concepts we've explored in this deep dive processes, pipes, networking, and even the command line interface are relevant in everything from cloud computing to mobile apps.
Speaker 1: It's like the DNA of the digital world. So as we wrap up our Uniix deep dive, I want to encourage you to continue exploring. There's a wealth of information out there and you'll find some great resources mentioned in our source material. The IA website, for example, is a great place to learn about port numbers, and the Tutorial's Point website offers all sorts of tutorials on programming and Unix concepts.
Speaker 2: And before we go, here's a final thought to ponder. Given how much technology is evolving, what role do you think Unix like systems will play in the future. Will they continue to be the bedrock of the digital world or will something new emerge.
Speaker 1: That's a great question. I guess only time will tell, but for now I'm definitely feeling a lot more informed and a lot less intimidated by the world of Unini X. Thanks for joining us on the steep Dave. We'll catch you next time.