Speaker 1: Every generation produces artists, but only a few emerge as interpreters of identity, memory and resistance. Artists whose voices don't just ride the ridden but reclaim history. Artist who don't simply perform, but translate the soul of the people. This week, we are talking the things with one of those artists. Alex Cuffee, more popularly known as Muddy, born and raised in Grenada, is more than a Soca artist. He is an artist full stop. He is a storyteller, a cultural ambassador of the jab Jab tradition, a son of Grenadian soil and spirit, and what I'd like to call an engineer of ancestral sound, acting music that feels both rooted and revolutionary. Over the years, Muddy has moved through stages and seasons, earning second place at Grenada's National Soca monarch in twenty fifteen, third place in twenty eighteen, and once again second place in twenty twenty four. However, his music has never been about the accolades or about the trophies. It's about testimony. In twenty twenty four, he released The Moment, a song that opens not with bravado, but with clarity. I told them I will be back someday to come. It's not just a verse, it's a vowl, a reckoning, an arrival, and a promise. And while Payroll may be the song gaining international no acclaim right now, it's Muddy's full body of work that carries the weight of a movement. This is not the sound of a man chasing success. It's the sound of a man answering his calling. Plus some respector listener respector if you're listening to the podcast on Apple Podcast, please remember to rate and leave a comment below. Also, don't forget to follow us on Instagram at Let's Talk the Things Now, Grab your tea, coffee, or a glass of wine and let's talk the tings. Hello everyone, Welcome back to Let's Talk to Things, where we discuss personal growth, travel, music, beauty and wellness while encouraging you to live fearlessly and fabulously. I'm your host, Ash and this week we are talking to things with a trailblazer and trendsetter, not just in Grenadian Soca, but in Soca in general. One of my favorite Soca artists Muddy. Hi Muddy, how are you hello?
Speaker 2: Hello? Hello? I am great love the introyway.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, very much. You know they're calling me the jemaic on Oprah, you know, so, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Onto something, on to something.
Speaker 1: Thank you, no, thank you so much for coming to talk to things with me. As a little bit of an icebreaker for our first time guest and for per since listening for the first time, we begin each episode with our listener's favorite segment, and it's called that no sound safe. So basically, what I'm going to do is read messages or social media posts that listeners sent in, and if you think it sounds crazy or a little bit concerning, you'd say that sounds safe and explain why. And if you agree, you say you agree and explain why. Nothing scary? All right, cool, all right? The first person said, the only time West Indian parents let you lie is to tell someone that they're not home or not around.
Speaker 2: That's super, super accurate.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know why they're like that, right, They'll be telling you to lie about that, but in the same breath telling you not to lie. It's so confusing. So yeah, so that sounds safe because it's true, but it's not safe because it's very confusing for a child trying to differentiate what is an okay lie versus what is not an okay lie.
Speaker 2: It's like you have to turn to a parent to know if you have to lie. I know, I have to tell the.
Speaker 1: Truth exactly right. So typical Caribbean parents, very contradicting. Yeah, all right. The next person said, my patience is basically like a gift card. Not sure how much is left on it, but we can give it a try.
Speaker 2: That's safe.
Speaker 1: That's safe. So are you an impatient person?
Speaker 2: I would say, I've been patient for the most part of my life. Okay, at this point, I just kind of want what I want.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree. As somebody that's very impatient, I can really resonate with this one. I feel like this one sounds safe to me. However, I will say being an impatient person there is a downside in that. Sometimes sometimes you can reflect and think, Okay, maybe I should have waited, or maybe I should have allowed things to happen. But I also understand from that point of view where like you said, you've been patient for so long, yeah, and now it's like you just want what you want, like you don't have time. We can't bother with the waiting, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But but patient patience is you know you have to have it. You have to have it at some point in your life. You know that's true.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: I think patience without without knowing like what direction it would take at the end, I think we have we have to know what we want and know. Let's say, if let's say we're in a relationship or something and you have been in this far some time and you're having problems and you speaking to your partner over and over and over and nothing is getting done. There comes a time when in a man's life or in a woman's life, where you have to understand that this person is not going to change. So patience is not going to fix this situation.
Speaker 1: Oh Maddy, You're come to tak the things today, you know. Come to Ta Alex by your real name, because that is so true. And I'm sure a lot of people listening are really resonating with it, because you know, I think it's okay to be patient with somebody, but like you said, if you know that they're going in the direction that you need, whatever relationship you have to go in, that's different than being patient. And like you said, they're ignoring your wants and your needs and you're just wasting time, And I think to your point, people don't realiuys, time is very expensive. It's something that you cannot get back, you know. So I think that's really wow. I never thought of it like that, but yeah, that's really insightful for sure. Definitely. All right, Okay, I can agree with you. Then I can switch that song safe. That sounds safe, all right. The next person said, I stay away from people who avoid self reflection and accountability. If you can't be real with yourself, there's no way you can be real with me that song safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that sounds.
Speaker 1: Safe for sure. Accountability and self reflection is definitely important, and I feel like a lot of people don't practice it, which is concerning. Yeah, you know, I think it's easier for a lot of people to tell you where where you went wrong or what you did wrong. But it's very rare that you meet somebody at any level, whether it's in your work space or personal life, that can say, you know, what I did this and that wasn't right, or you know I could have done this better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's always a more difficult conversation speaking to the mirror, you know, because it's not like we don't know what we do wrong. We know what we do wrong. We know, yeah, when we go wrong or when we've hurt someone, when we've did a bad thing. But comfortability is a fight for most people. It's been a fight in my life as well, you know, really yeah, but growing up and mature and taking taking the time, taking the patience, you know, and mature and understanding that I'm not a perfect person. You know, I do make mistakes, and the only way to move past those mistakes is to to hold myself aurecomfortable for it, you know, and do the right work to be a better place. Because if you already think that you're in the best place, there's no grow. They're left.
Speaker 1: So true. And you're never not growing, I mean unless you're no longer on this earth. I feel like, you know, you're always learning. And that's something that I learned a lot from my dad. You know, at any age, he always instilled in us you are always learning, you know, Like, don't ever think you know everything about everything.
Speaker 2: Because you don't. You know, a little toddler on the street could teach you something about your life that you.
Speaker 1: Never Yes, yes, that's so true. And those that aren't interested in learning something new I feel like they stay stagnant too, Like they may get older in age, but mentally they're just at the same place because they don't feel like they can be taught, Like they don't feel like they're teachable.
Speaker 2: Because you put a ceiling on your brain, you know, you put a ceiling on your you already feel like you have at this level when you are on a way lower level. If you think you're the best, there's nothing better than the best. So you're just going to stay at this one one rate and the world is just going to leave you behind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that no sound safe? All right? Two more then, oh my gosh. The next person said, I know life can be tough, but you really have to start wearing the ordorant.
Speaker 2: Definitely, definitely, I can't manage.
Speaker 1: Yes, guys, you know, Carnival season is upon us, and I just feel like this is not the time to be trying out no anti perspriate thedoran.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: It's very important that you smell you know, nice and fresh and clean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because especially around Kinnival season, around kindival season, yes, is the time when you see the most shirtless people's in the world.
Speaker 1: You know, true, that's true.
Speaker 2: Hygiene is is something that you need to you have to get right because it's uncomfortable for not just for the other, but for even your friends. Your friends have to tell you about it. It's uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's very uncomfortable. And we don't deserve that. Yeah, it's very.
Speaker 2: We We deserve to have a conversation where we could just talk and I don't have to think about about about the scent. You know, let's have a conversation. It's me and you're talking, not me and you and your perspiration.
Speaker 1: I can't manage. Oh my gosh, I literally have tears in my No, that is one hundred percent true. I just wasn't ready.
Speaker 2: Sorry for being so sorry.
Speaker 1: For being so oh No, I love it. I love it. I just you'll notice I really love to laugh. So you're gonna hear me fight from my life a lot. But it's so true because my mom used to always tell me, like you know, as a little girl, I will always tell you things that you need to know, like your friends probably aren't even always going to tell you, because, like you said, your friends should tell you. But some friends don't say anything, you know, and that's concerning. Like some friends even when it comes to like as a woman, Okay, you go out with your friends and you see a group of women and you see, let's say there's three women, two women. They look beautiful, their makeup is intact, you know, even though we're outside, like everything is together. And then you see their friend and her makeup is dripping off her face, and you know, she just kind of looked popped down, and you're thinking, why would you let your friend come out like that? You know, like, why wouldn't you say something? So it's like, to your point, your friends shouldn't have to have that conversation, but you should do it for yourself because you don't know if you have a friend that wouldn't tell you that, that wouldn't tell you smell bad, you know what I mean. And then maybe you see some guy you like and you go up to him and he said, geez, no, it's not work. That say, oh my gosh, hilarious. All right, final one, the person said envy no one. For whatever you see, a price was paid.
Speaker 2: Yeap. Yeah. I strongly believe that same undercent.
Speaker 1: I think that people, especially like when you get to a level of success in your life. I find that people only see that even the people that have known you for a long period of time, it's like they forget all that you had to go through to come to that point, and they just have this perception like, Oh, you're so luckier, Oh you made this money, so sureley can give me a bly, surely can give me a thing? You can, you know, and they don't consider all of what you've had to sacrifice to get there. I think that's such a real thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Growing up, my mom would always tell me, do not envy. Do not envy people, you know, because you do not know what they've done, are the sacrifices they have to make to achieve what they have. Yes, and I've been a victim of it when it comes to even my musical career or even just my life. The things that that are accessible to me in my life is all things that was created by me. It wasn't a hand out that did. I didn't have it easy right to work for it. I had to work for it. So whatever whatever situation I am in right now, it's tanks to me and and my my feet and my Because I have a praying mom, right she does not play.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, thank God for them.
Speaker 2: Mate, Yeah, thank God for that. So I would never envy a man because I I personally see what I do the work, you know, and I like to see progress is something that I love seeing no matter where it's coming from. That is just motivating to me. So I agree, I will see the outcome or the results of what, of whatever, but I do however, I am very interested in the process. So even though I see the big blow up, I will ask questions to try to know how how did this happen? You know, how did you grow this business from from one single mod billing five blocks to to know you're producing five to blocks a week. I just want to know the process of that, how the work is done, so me envy. Envy is never in the cards from me. I like the work behind it.
Speaker 1: That's so beautifully said, and I think it's such a really important message to put out there, because again, we live in an area an era excuse me, of social media where everything is so instant, you know, and people think they can just go on Instagram or go on TikTok and make a video and then they're just going to be the next big thing. And you know, it just seems like people don't really especially within music. You know, I grew up in the music business. My dad is a drummer, and I just find that what I witnessed when I witnessed him creating music is so different than what I see now, you know, like the machines and the AI and all this. And it doesn't mean that it's all bad, because it's helpful in some ways. But I find that we've lost like that concept of hard work and wanting, like you said, to learn what it took to get there rather than just wanting the.
Speaker 2: Outcome, you know.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, So now we're gonna talk the real things. So I would love it if you could tell me about your earliest memories of sound. And the reason I asked that is because I had the CEO of Jahm Balassi Grenada on here and he explained to me a lot about jab and you know the sound of the drums. So anytime I think of Grenada now, I just think of sound and music and particularly drums, right, yeah, So if you could tell me your earliest memory not just of music, but literal sound, like what did Grenada sound like to you as a child.
Speaker 2: As a child, I would say, like my upbringing was I grew up in church. You know, my mom was a regular church goer, so I've always I've always been fascinated with the music, fascinated with the music in church. So I've always had love for that song, right, yeah, but you know, growing up, and I didn't used to take but I think kind of a I would admit I was not kind of a baby because I am, yeah, my mother's last child, so I was I was well protected. I couldn't do a lot of stuff. So when I did pick up the singing that, yeah, it was it was different. But I would say kind of our song like mmm, I would give flowers to the elders, that's the Tangla and the Jamo and the Inspector, even the younger elders like Lava Man and mister Killer and them, I would I would love to give them the floors because this is what I knew about what music was supposed to come come from. I supposed to song like coming from my and my culture.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that beautiful. And did you know that, I know you grew up in church and our own music, but did you know that you always wanted to be an artist?
Speaker 2: Particularly I did not. I always loved singing. No, I always loved singing. I would sing with my friends, I was singing with my family. And I remember the first time I recorded myself. Hated my voice, you know, I told my brothers, I hated my voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh my gosh, I cannot believe that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was my first time doing it, and it was uncomfortable hearing my voice or the song of what I'm saying coming from a different device, you know.
Speaker 1: Really, yes, so crazy, wow, wow, wow, that's so crazy to hear, just because obviously I know your voice as yeah, the superstar that you are now, so that's hard for me to conceptualize, but I get it for sure.
Speaker 2: And I had to go. I had to go to the whole long process of learning my voice and stuff because ever since I started, I've always been producing myself, always been mixing my own vocal. Has always been doing the mixing by myself. So it's by yourself. Yeah, it was a learning experience, up and up and up. So now I found my voice. You know, I like it. I'm comfortable with it. I'm guessing the world it's comfortable with.
Speaker 1: It, because guessing, hello, that's okay. Be humble, be humble, that's fine. No, But speaking of your voice, right, your music plays with a little bit of dance hall, Soca afrofusion, and it even touches on a little bit of hip hop. So how intentional is that cross pollination for you? Like, is it a strategy or is it more of an intuitive reflection of who you are as a person.
Speaker 2: I would say the second one because I wouldn't say if is cross pollinated because it's actually rooted. I soka is actually the last genre I started doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: I started singing in high school and I was singing hip hop music and dance all music, reggae music for years.
Speaker 1: Really, so internally, you're really a Jamaican, is what you're taking.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say that now, but I would not.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm just joking, guys. Don't don't kid me. I'm just joking through and through.
Speaker 2: I will say that I am deeply influenced by the Jamaican culture when it comes to music because what I do believe that it's music is my thing and I don't consider myself like a Soca artist. I just consider myself like an artist because it doesn't matter the success of what happens to me in SOCA, I will sing dance all music. I still want to be in rooms with the big dance all names and the big hip hop names.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, So and would you say your would you say your style leans more towards dancehall than soca or is it? Is it really like in the middle, because to me it seems like such a like a well placed mix, like I can hear the dancehall influence, but then I can kind of hear the Soca the job in there as well. But how do you perceive it?
Speaker 2: I would say it's in the middle. I would say it's because.
Speaker 1: In the middle. Okay.
Speaker 2: Even in my SOCA music, I do tend to draw out a reference and references to dance all lyrics as well, because to me, Soca is fun. Soca is real fun. But the dance all side of me wants to express different stories than just what's fun. So you would get me to sing some fun stuff, but is really the side of dance all that would make me say something like when stars aligned, greatness outshines all het it in space on time, because that is my song.
Speaker 1: You know you got it? But yeah, that is my song.
Speaker 2: I would say that I know what you mean though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. We were talking about I forgot what episode we were talking about it, but saying that Soca is so fun and so happy. But to your point, like, when I think of songs with like a message and wanting to empower you, I truly do think of dancehall or reggae. However, there are some Soka songs I can't think of the top of my head, but there are some that are very empowering as well. So I see, I definitely see what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, yep.
Speaker 1: And speaking of that, you also write your lyrics, and there's this kind of rawness I would say in your lyrics, a kind of emotional honesty that comes through. So where does that come from? And do you write from personal experience or are you also channeling like a collective story of maybe your peers or people in your community.
Speaker 2: I would say, first off, I do not write music. I haven't penned a song in the last eight years. Really, I do not write. I vibe music. I would listen to a beat and they really will tell me what to sing. I sometimes I use personal experiences. I use experiences from my friends, what they go through are just world experiences, just different ways of creating because I like my stuff to be open, you know. So it's not just it's not just a about me. It's not just about what I experienced. But I have people around me. I have things that I've experienced, like not not personally, but around with my surroundings. Okay, and we yeah, we come up with a good project just by listening to a couple of beats and vibing.
Speaker 1: So just for my clarification, when you say you don't write music, right, you mean you don't write the actual like sound, but you come up with the lyrics.
Speaker 2: I don't write the lyrics though, So.
Speaker 1: How do you how do you come up with the lyrics?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is it like a group efforts?
Speaker 2: I would say sometimes, but most times I'm just in the studio by myself. I would listen to a beat. I would listen to a and then you just speak it. Yeah, but I wouldn't say a freestyle.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know exactly what you mean, now, Okay, okay, So you come up with the idea and then you kind of just just flow whatever comes out and then you piece it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So basically you're like the Jay z of Sokan Data.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect, perfect.
Speaker 2: That's somebject right up.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna hear. I'm gonna be on here and say it. You don't have to say it, but yeah, that's a gift because that's what I was talking about earlier when I mentioned Paul, my dad, you know, and my uncle's formulate songs like I'm talking, you know, the Bearest Hammonds and things like that. They just come up with sounds and like rhythms, and you know, things just flow, and that's what I'm used to seeing. And I find that these days, you know, you hear people cutting different tracks and they'll record a track on Tuesday and then come back on Friday and then and I'm just used to seeing them having one track like old school, you know, and you just better not mess up because everyone's playing live instruments and you just sing whatever you can sing or come up with. So that's why I want you explained that. I'm like, Okay, like now I understand what you're saying. You don't hear that very often these days, so that's really nice to hear. Okay, So Grenada, right, You're welcome Grenada to me. I think has such a rich but underrepresented musical identity. So what do you feel is misunderstood or overlooked about Grenadian artistry on a global stage.
Speaker 2: Overlooked?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I feel like a lot of people don't know how much Grenadians like contribute to Caribbean culture. I feel like they just think of the Trinidad at least when it comes to Soca.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say publishing and marketing is different. I would say it has a lot to do with the population of the country as well. Oh, interesting, because we have to admit that. Yeah, when we we find something that we like, it doesn't matter who likes it or not. But it's also a thing where this song has five hundred thousand views, so it must be better than this song that has thirty thousand views, you know. So there's the onlookers that look at it that way as well. But when it comes to performances across the world, though, I think that Greenie that does a beautiful job when it comes to shows, because I've been to the London, I've been to Canada, I've been to the US to perform, and it's always like when you perform, it's always well received. Yes, they know of the job.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, people like me that are new to it are learning, But I feel like I've gotten a lot of good lessons these last few episodes. I feel like I'm pretty much Grenadian at this Yeah. No, that's definitely true. I think that more persons are becoming aware that, yeah, you know, Grenada has a place in the whatever you want to call it, yeah, in the music scene, because I just think that so many people will hear a song. I'm one of the people I'm raising my hand and just automatically assume the person singing is from Trinidad because they just don't know, you know what I mean, like when you just don't know something. And that's why I think these conversations are so important, and that's really why one of the reasons why I have this platform, because I think a lot of people might hear songs and they don't know the artists, and they don't know where they're from, and they don't know where it comes from. They just hear it and love it, but they're not able to associate it with the country or with the person. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Grenada's Oh my god, you guys full of energy. That's very true. You're welcome. And speaking of that and the stages that you've graced, we have to talk about your stage presence. Now, I've never seen you live, but I've watched a lot of your shows online or what have you, and your energy is undeniable. So what would you say you're welcome? What would you say is your mental or emotional state when you're performing, Like do you feel like yourself or do you kind of like morph into someone else entirely?
Speaker 2: I would say it's a different person, but yeah, it's connected. I don't want to disconnect myself from it completely. But I introducing me on the stage and me touching the stage, there's a huge difference from me having the mic in my hand and being on the step and me being on the stage. You will introduce me. I will have butterflies, I want to use the toilet, I want to do you.
Speaker 1: Know, Yes, I didn't know that feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then the music started to play and it just.
Speaker 1: I can still resonate with that. Yeah. Yeah, And I feel like it's also a reflection of a reminder, I should say, of that's where you're truly meant to be. It's just you have to get on the stage, you know what I mean, Like, it's just once you get on there, it's like you transform into like an avenger or a power ranger or something. You know. Yeah, No, I can definitely resonate that for sure. And what's a song of yours that that you would say changed you, not your career, but you as a person, like maybe it taught you something about yourself or unlocks something deeper within you.
Speaker 2: I would say there was a song a couple of years ago that I did on a bit from No ExM. We actually did two songs like the back to back two different years.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: One one was liking Myself that was a groove and also Tanks, you know, because those those Liking Myself. It was just a song about me accepting that this is who I am, you know, and don't matter what what you do or what you say. I love who I am.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that.
Speaker 2: And the year after I would say that's my favorite, okay, and that that that kind of changed me when it comes to the way I look at myself and also love that. The year after I did a tribute to Tanking the fans that that's the name of that song in stands and that that is a song that really, you know, it made me appreciate the fans, made me appreciate myself a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. I'm gonna have to look those up when we can talk. I love those nice, very nice. And you know you're representing Grenada speaking of like the fans. You know you're representing Grenada in rooms and on stages that generations before you couldn't even dream of doing. You know. So do you carry that with you, like the weight of that responsibility or do you just try to focus on the know and not really think about, you know, the real deep meaning behind that.
Speaker 2: I do think about the meaning. I do think about the meaning. However, I just see it as I'm doing my part, like this is what I really genuinely feel like this is what I'm supposed to do, Like I would be doing this even if I wasn't getting the reception are paid like that I would. This is my thing. Music is my thing.
Speaker 1: I love that and it's definitely felt through your music. So that doesn't that doesn't surprise at all.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. Okay, So before we transition to our final segment, I have been allowing my guests to ask me one question this season, since you guys don't get to ask me anything. So is there anything you'd like to ask me?
Speaker 2: What would I would like to ask? Have you ever been to Grenada?
Speaker 1: I have? Actually I have, Yes, I've been, so technically i've been twice, but I only like to count once, which was a couple months ago for my birthday. And here's the reason. So the first time I went, I went on a cruise. And I know when people tell me they go they've been to Jamaica on a cruise, I instantly roll my eyes because I like, I feel like you don't really get Jamaica by going on a cruise and getting off a book for a couple hours. So when I went a couple months ago, I really feel like I got to experience like truly Grenada, Like it felt like I had never been there before, and I absolutely loved it. And I will be back this year because it's become like one of my favorite favorite favorite places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, awesome, awesome, Come come for Carnival this year. See me put that crown on my head.
Speaker 1: First of all, I will be there. That's a number one. I will be there, and I would love to see you put that crown on your head. I feel like this is the year. I feel like this is the year for you. I feel like you are so incredibly talented and if I mean, you've deserved it before, but I feel like you're really you know, this is really going to be the year for you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right. So for our final segment, I'm going to ask you seven quick, rapid fire questions and you have to answer with the first thing that comes to mind. Okay, okay, all right? What is one thing that people misunderstand about you?
Speaker 2: They think I'm a womanizer?
Speaker 1: Really? And is it? Because I usually don't do follow up questions, but I do have to ask is it because of your music or because of the way that you present yourself? Would you say?
Speaker 2: I would say my music, okay, because I'm usually not out that much. I'm literally at home all the time. If I if I go out, there's a few places that I hang out just to chill with my friends and to to online and reason. And if I had if you see me out, is either I'm at my friends or I'm performing somewhere.
Speaker 1: Oh okay. So when they hear things like bile upon the job job, they assume that that is who you are twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I know the things them. Yeah, okay, I understand. All right. What is a song that always uplifts your spirits?
Speaker 2: Mm? That song from Chronics when I look at where I'm coming from?
Speaker 1: Oh I love yeah, Yeah, yes, I love that song and I love Chronics And I'm crossing my fingers and my eyes that he's coming back this year.
Speaker 2: We need him so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. All right. What is your dream collaboration?
Speaker 2: I have a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what okay, what's your top Okay, what is your top five?
Speaker 2: How about that? Since you have a lot, okay, top five collaborations?
Speaker 1: Yes, besides me, besides me?
Speaker 2: First off, who I'm gonna have to do it. I'm gonna have to take one of my favorites. I would say Lyrical.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, I love him. Yeah, that would be Oh my god, that would sound amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say lyrical. I would say, also say skinny fabulous okay, mmm, Marshall Montano.
Speaker 1: Ah nice, I would say popcorn. Oh, now, that would be amazing. Oh my god, I would love to hear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And for the last one, I'll boy.
Speaker 1: Oh that's also a good one, and honestly, I think those are all possible. I don't even think those are really dreams. Those are all within the realm of possibility for you, for sure, especially once you have this grown on your head. Okay. Next question, would you rather beachside date or a late night studio session.
Speaker 2: I'll have to go to a studio session. But however you say that, Yeah, if I do have to do a date, though, I'd rather do a beachside date rather than something fancy restaurant. We could sit down and spread a blank, we can have a picnic and chat.
Speaker 1: So something different. But if you had to pick between the two, you would do a studio session.
Speaker 2: I love studio. I love studio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, nice, nice, all right. Next question, If your music had a color, what color would it be?
Speaker 2: That's a good question.
Speaker 1: I told you I'm the Jamaica operh.
Speaker 2: My music had to be a color, what would it be? I would say red?
Speaker 1: Really? Why? Because that's my favorite color?
Speaker 2: Why it's also my favorite color as well. But I would say red because I aspired to stand out and read it is something I always stands out.
Speaker 1: I love that. Very nice, very nice, all right. Second to last question, And we kind of talked about this earlier. The first song you ever wrote or recorded that made you say, yeah, man, I hate this, like you knew it would be a hte.
Speaker 2: First song that I recorded in that way, m h, and I knew what was going to happen, I would say, yes. I would say last year, I did a song called The Moment for Sokamoraka play second with it.
Speaker 1: I love that song. That's my favorite song.
Speaker 2: And that song from the day that I recorded it, yeah, I say, well, yeah, I actually sent a message to she actually sent it back to me, one of my critics, and the day I recorded the song, I sent it to her and I sent a message. I said, screenshot this message. This song is going to be the song that's going to do it for me. Geez sound and she screenshoted and like the year last year when I released the song, I actually sent back the screenshot to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mannish, I love that though. That's honestly one of my favorite songs of yours, So that doesn't shock me that that was the one. I absolutely love that. Okay, And last but not least, if you could get in a time machine and you could speak to your sixteen year old self, so your high school self, per se, what advice would you give him?
Speaker 2: I would tell him to focus on music, And I don't know because I really I would say my experience of this life kind of lead me up to the point that I am today and music is something that does it for me. So I would tell them to focus on music and love the people that you are around. Love. Always tell the people that you that you care about, tell them how much you feel. Because on this journey I lost a couple of people that was very important to me.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that, but that's such a powerful message because it's true. I think we think we have so much time, but I heard this thing the other day, and it's so true. Time is everything we have and we don't have, like in the same breath, you know. So that's a very important message. I love that. Beautiful, beautiful all right, So you have to let me do my little thank you. Try your best not to cry. But Muddy, you have given the Caribbean diaspora more than a voice. I feel like you've offered us vision. And what you're doing isn't just for the charts or the accolades. It's for the culture. It's a reminder that the Caribbean and Grenada in particular has never lacked power. Only platforms and you money are building the stage and the language. You're not just composing songs, You're turning them into archive and performance into presence. And in doing so, you're not only claiming the moment, you are expanding the meaning of what a moment can be for Grenada, for job, job, and for the Caribbean as a whole. You are not just an artist from Grenada, but through your music, you're sending a message that says we belong here, or in your words, they're gonna have to put the job, job on a pay So thank you so much for coming to talk the things with me.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It was a pleasure. It was that was so beautiful, by the way, it was a pleasure being here. Thank you, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Thank you, You're welcome. I was trying not to break out in song, you know, because that is my song. So you're gonna have to invite me so I can be front row acting a fool my jam Macon and Grenadian flag because now I'm.
Speaker 2: You're gonna take a You're gonna take a picture with a crown on your head this.
Speaker 1: Year, Yes, I have to, and I love a crown. Don't get me tempted, Okay, I will not give it back to you. No, thank you so much for coming. And before you go, is there anything you want to share with the audience, like where they can follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 2: You can follow me on all social media, all handles at Muddy on the school, the original and yeah, remember when stars aligned, greatness out shines all hatred in space and.
Speaker 1: So Mandy, you couldn't just bless me with a little bit of singing that last part.
Speaker 2: I could let me try.
Speaker 3: Let me try when it stars align, greatness outshines all hatred in space and time and still with rise, with grace and with faith in the morning, with chains and I Hi, I'm a backpack and already backpack and already promoted, don't laughing.
Speaker 2: Already with our backpack and fil now they're going to put the people I fresh like wicked.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're so gracious for blessing me with a doubt plates I love that m