Speaker 1: M hmmm.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to another episode of Adventures in dot Net. I'm Sean Klobo and with me today is your co host Wylou And happy birthday, Caleb. Since you're not here, you're not having fun, So it's not gonna make it today.
Speaker 3: Dressed up today, he's got to get dressed up.
Speaker 2: Well, at least he can go out. You know, he's got vaccinated and all that kind of stuff. So hopefully everything getting is good down in New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Another thing untill I dressed up, and it also have to wear a suit.
Speaker 2: I no, no, I met his wife really to say, you know, is he gonna make you know? How how fancy is a dress up gonna be tonight? So it depends on all.
Speaker 3: The traditions in New Orleans? Maybe yes, anyway, so.
Speaker 2: They got weird traditions in New Orleans. So it's strange, right right, Caleb. Oh yeah, you can't tell me. So why today on this show? I think we're going to go back to school. I heard what we're talking about. Notebook notebooks, you know, I remember those in college or maybe that. Maybe it's not that kind of notebook today. Notebook computers now not notebook computers why don't welcome our guest, Eric Potter. Welcome Erek, Thanks guys, great to be on the show.
Speaker 1: Looking forward talking to you guys.
Speaker 2: What kind of notebooks are we talking about today.
Speaker 1: Let's start with a little background, because this is one of those concepts that became big in another part of the developer world and is starting to make its way into the dot net world. But there was this idea that really started in the Python space with a tool called Jupiter Notebook notebooks, and the idea is that you can have an interesting mix of code and text, so you can have a document this this Jupiter Notebook document where you can alternate back and forth between having text in marked and your Python code. And the code is actually organized into these little cells, and each cell is defined independently, so you could just have like eight lines of code and you could run those eight lines of code independently. And in the Python space, this kind of became big in the data community because you might have a few lines of code where you pull in a bunch of data from a CSV and then you take that data and run it through a charting library, or maybe just want to blow it out and filter it in a table, or maybe you want to do some aggregations on it, but as you're doing it, you can be documenting what you're doing, and then that documentation either then lives for you or lives on for someone else to take over this notebook in the future. But either way, we now have a way to have a much more interactive experience than a historical Python programming experience where you would write the Python file and then just execute it. So this concept is making its way into the dot net space with these dot net notebooks. And so there's a couple of terms here. There is the Visual Studio Code notebooks, which that is what allows you to have these notebooks in visual studio code, and then there are a couple of different variations on that. So there you can have the c sharp sharp and JavaScript notebooks. There's actually another kind of notebook for SQL, and so you can have these different interactive environments right in Visual studio code. It used to be, I think in Python you kind of had to have a larger tool called Anaconda installed to be able to create Python notebooks or Jupidter notebooks, and there had been an earlier version where you could run sea sharp in an Anaconda notebook but now they've got it, so you can do it all in visual Studio code with the visual Studio code extension for dot net notebooks.
Speaker 2: So go ahead.
Speaker 3: Why so it actually runs the code it so it's kind of a white to I guess, start notepadding, stop documenting something, but by putting code that actually runs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So let's say that you are exploring or documenting something in a new Newgate package, so maybe something like system dot text dot Jason, and you want to see how that serializes your objects. First of all, there is a special syntax for pulling new GET packages in, so you know, with one line of code in your notebook you can pull down a new GET package and start working with it. And so then you could define your object and then you could serialize and de serialize it right in the notebook, and you could see the string output that you're getting when you serialize it. And if you want to play around with the different serialization options, right, you just have a blocker code that's like setting those options differently. You can run it like, okay, I want to see what happens when I serialize it with this option on. Okay, now I want to see what I'm going to change the option. I want see how serializes with this set of options. And so it's very interactive in terms of, you know, having chunks of code that that you can run. Most developers that I know, especially C sharp developers, have some folder somewhere on their hard drive that has like console application one, console application, two, console application seventy five, you know, right, because there's always those things where it's like, oh, I just I need to be able to drop in some C Sharp cod and see what this does. Well, the nice thing about these notebooks it's like, oh, I could just drop in here and see what happens in visual code. Visual studio code obviously opens really fast, so it's a really nice way to quickly get in there. But then the nice thing about it is that these notebook files have an extension of ip y and B, which is a Python holder. So Python holdover from Interactive Python Notebook. So I P y and B and that's still the extension even if you're using C sharp.
Speaker 3: So any language would have still be the same extension as.
Speaker 1: Far as I know, and C sharp is the one that I've done the most with. I mean, that's just the language I work in the most I've seen really interesting demos with f sharp. I know it supports JavaScript as well, and those are all the same extension. But I could you know, take that ip y n B file which is just a Jason file and you know, check it in, or I could email to my teammates and so maybe I want to document like, hey, here's how we're going to use the serialization technique on our project. And instead of just like writing up an email and sending it to them like hey, here's this, here's this interactive bit. You try it. See if you know, see if you agree with my decision.
Speaker 3: So can you put in like different libraries and things like that or is it just that is the context just whatever your coding on local variables?
Speaker 1: No, So you can reference assemblies that are on your machine. So if you have a you know, a class library that you're using in whatever project you're on, you can reference that right from your hard drive. Or like I said, if there is a new get package and you can pull that down to okay, yeah cool.
Speaker 2: So is it like a like a wiki with executable stuff in it.
Speaker 1: That's a really interesting way to think about it, because, like a lot of wikis, it does support markdown, right, so I could, I could have tables, I could, I can actually have images as if I want, you know, because markdown has syntax to pull in images. So yeah, that's a really interesting way to think about it because it is kind of like that it's it's a wiki, but you can actually execute the code right there.
Speaker 3: I didn't like stack overflow. I think it has something similar to that in which when you pay some code in you have the option to run it. If it's a certain language, then it actually shows you the output as well, if if you quote a block of tech block of code. So yeah, I can see it myself using it as well, because like for me, like now you're going on about developers using the console app on two free, and I'm really big on documenting literally everything I like on a program. Maybe like twenty five percent of my time is this going back in every by error message or or whatever. Or even if I solve a problem certain way, I'll just I'll just we've helped one note and just document it, you know, just s beeacause I I've got got a bad memory, and like the so many times going oh I fixed this problem before, and it's like where do I look kind of thing. So, so yeah, I can really see myself using this and then just kind of putting in code that would just run for me, you know, instead of just putting in a block of code that may not may not run.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so how do you get started? You know, what's it? What's it take to get started? And what's a good place to start at for somebody that hasn't done a notebook before?
Speaker 1: All right, So in Visual Studio Code, if you go to the extension library, then there is an extension you can search for called dot Net Interactive Notebooks, and it is still listed as a preview by It's really working pretty well. I've had it installed for a couple of months now. But if you install the preview then you can start creating these notebooks. There's actually some new commands that they have in the Visual studio Code command bar. Looking at the documentation here, you do obviously have to have Visual studio Code installed, and you have to have dot Net five installed. I guess I was at this point it's kind of a safe assumption that all developers have Visual studio Code installed. That's becoming very ubiquitous. You do need the five SDK installed as well, apparently.
Speaker 3: So what about if you said you could just copy these new get files to the developers, Like, if you've got new get packages, do the nu get packages kind of come or at least the references come with the file or it's just an assumption that would have it installed.
Speaker 1: So there is actually a special syntax for pulling down new get packages. So, again sticking with the example of system dot text dot json, if I have near the top of my notebook file pound are quote new gut colon system dot text dot json quote right, so that line of code, when I execute that line in the notebook, then it will install that Newgate package. And so what I could do, you know, in the case you're talking about where I if I email you my notebook, you would have to execute that block. But then once you had done that, then you would have the new get packages downloaded and installed. Now, obviously you can use that pound our syntax to reference assemblies that are on your hard drive and so like if if I was just like referencing something that the path was like c colon users e Potter, right, then that wouldn't be on your machine. But you know, if I was actually using the Newgate reference then then you could download it yourself.
Speaker 3: So what use cases do you see for this, Like, I mean, I think identify that for me, it would be mainly for documentary in my own stuff, But do you see any other use cases that might be useful?
Speaker 1: So, yeah, documentation, I think is a big one. I think the one that the Python community is really embraced is this idea of data exploration. And you know, I'll include code exploration in that too, But a lot of times we're working with a large data set and you know, we could query it in you know, simple server management studio, but I don't know, maybe maybe it comes from a CSV or you know, some other data source, And what we want is the ability to look at some data, do some kind of aggregation on it beyond what we could just do in SQL, maybe generate some charts or generate some other kind of visualization, and I could do that really quickly. One of the things that Microsoft kind of touts with their Notebook extension is that it's got good support for a library called xplot dot plotly, so what you could do is you could have some data source that you're going to pull in and then render a visual using xplot and all that right in the notebook. Now, the nice thing is that because it's interactive, you know, you could be maybe tweaking your filters and then tweaking your visualization or tweaking your data source, and you can kind of it it. You have this really fast feedback loop of you know, being able to really tweak the experience that you want and tweak the visual you want really easily. So yeah, there's that whole exploration. So I'd say that's probably the second big use case. The third one, and maybe this is a little more specific to me, is actually with teaching. So I spend a non trivial amount of time mentoring developers at my employer. I work for a company called a Pair of Software, and we're really big on teaching and training and empowering our younger developers, and so I can see myself documenting some like fundamental concepts and handing this over to them. I also sometimes teach as an adjunct at a local university, and having the ability to have this interactive teaching tool I think is really powerful. One of the challenges that I've always had in the past, no matter where I'm teaching, is that which mechanism do I want to use to teach about code. So I could just have C sharp code with comments that explain the concepts as we're trying to go through. But that has some limitations. There's there's no graphics. I can't like have an image that's that shows up in comments in a C sharp file. You know, a lot of teaching historically has done with PowerPoint, which in power you have the opposite problem where you can have all these really interesting visualizations, but then the code is maybe just a screenshot and so that it's not interactive at all. I think having notebooks becomes this really powerful teaching tool where I could say, okay, here's the concept. Maybe I've got some graphic that represents what conceptually is trying to happen. But then I can have the code and they can run it from themselves and they can change it and they can explore and see what the code does. I think the other thing that could be really interesting is that you could almost have like interactive problems as you go, so you're explaining a concepts and be like, okay, now you write the ten lines of code that generate this output. And so you could learn in a much more interactive way without having to subject yourself to the limitations of only code or only PowerPoint or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really cool. So can you embed it into a like a web page? You think that's one. I'm thinking, like the professor puts an assignment up and yeah, you literally you know, it has the description and mockdown and shots and all that stuff, and then they're just still in the code bit.
Speaker 1: So I think from the things that I've read, and I don't have any special knowledge here, but I think that it's something they would like to get to. But you do have a challenge there in that if it's running on a web page somewhere, you have to run the C sharp compiler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you'd have to back in. Well maybe you could use assembly web assembly something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe there's a really interesting potential there that, like could you run roslin in in Blazer. I don't know if that's the thing that you can do or not. Maybe it is. I know that one of the things I think they were doing with the try dot net website. I think maybe with that they were actually shipping the code back to some server for it to be compiled, and they would send the assembly forward.
Speaker 2: They switched that over to Blazer.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, so maybe and maybe that's the thing, is that these notebooks will eventually be able to run right in Blazer. The best solution I've seen right now is that there is a website again from the Python community called Binder, and you can post notebooks on Binder. And Binder does support the dot net runtime, so you can run your c sharp notebooks on Binder if that's how you want to share them.
Speaker 3: But you said it also supports jss R.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, maybe that part of it you could. But but you said it's also just in previews, so maybe it is just a feature that that haven't got through yet. Yeah, is this a Microsoft created thing or yeah.
Speaker 1: The extension I was going to double check. Yeah, the author on the extension is Microsoft COO.
Speaker 2: So is it is it limited to like console type applications. You talked about xblot, but that's not really like a gooey type of thing, so where you can build forms or do some sort of interactivity.
Speaker 1: So one of the things they have built in is a display method, So if I have an object, I can display that object and it will render all of the properties and their values in a table. So there is a little bit more that's graphical than just you know, standard console output. I don't. It's just not something i've run into. I know that there's different HTML output options you can do. I can't speak authoritatively to those, and I did just see on Twitter very recently someone from the community added a plug in that could render Razor, and so then you could have a notebook that could render all kinds of different Web outputs with anything you do with Razor, you could do in the notebook. Again, that's on my list of things to investigate. I haven't looked at at what they've done yet, and I don't know how stable that package is, but I am very excited about it.
Speaker 3: So it displays the output of the code you run. So I'm guessing that then it assumes that the code that you run has to have a determinant output. Like you couldn't just put like a mass dot random path in there, because it would just be a line in that that would just give you a completely different output every time we run it. What would happened then, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, you could certainly have random outputs, right is, if you had a random number generator and you wanted to run the code block which they call these blocks cells, right, so you can just execute the cell over and over again like any programming thing. You wouldn't want your cell to get stuck in some kind of infinite loop. But assuming assuming that your cell does run the completion in you know, the same amount of time, then yeah, I would display the output.
Speaker 3: So does it run at it every time you open the file or does it run it once and then store the output?
Speaker 1: So each cell can be executed individually. So there's actually a little graphical play button. So let's say I've got three lines of code in one cell and I hit the play button, execute it. Or there's a keyboard truck two. But I could then have my markdown that explained what just happened. I have another cell and I could execute that one. Now all of these cells execute in the same scope. So maybe I want to define a class in one cell and then you have some explanation and then instantiate an object of that class in a cell that's down lower. Then you could totally do that. Like I said, I was teaching a local university and I was trying to explain the concept of inheritance and overwriting, right, and so we had this notebook where there was a class at the top that had some virtual methods, and then there were cells down below that had various iterations or you know, various versions of how you override methods and what that looks like down below. So I think there is also an option to just like execute everything in the file if you just want to jump right.
Speaker 3: To the end. Yeah, I can see my folf. Do you think it quite a lot for presentations and things of that. I run a local meet up as well, so it it'd be a really good way to illustrate the code that you're trying to run, just by running it one bit at a time and then putting some nice mock down, you know, describe what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I imagine that going forward, that when I'm you know, in a user group scenario or just explaining something to my teammates anytime when in the past I would have thought like, oh, I just dropped this code into PowerPoint, Like, I think probably going forward, I'm just going to use these notebooks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I've typically used like link pad for making my little one off test applications and things like that. This sounds like a better way to be more organized with multiple you know, test apps and things like that, you know, with documentation.
Speaker 1: So that's a really interesting comparison, right because link pad is a wonderful tool, and I don't want say anything bad about it, but it has a little bit of a different goal because you can't have markdown right, So it's a great link Pad is a great way to say, here's these thirty lines of code or these fifteen lines of code, and I just want to execute that. But can I hit the data base, the night pad stuff, link pad, notebook? Yeah, because again you could pull in a new get packaged, right, so there's no reason why you couldn't use enterity framework or in one of the micro rms, whatever you want to do. But yeah, getting back to the link pad, I love link pad, but it's more that's more of like a like I just want to try it as a small stiput of code. If I want to try it out and document that, I would lean towards notebooks and the other tool in this space that I think is one of the best kept secrets in the dot no space is c sharp Interactive. You guys ever played around with the c sharp interactive environments?
Speaker 3: No? What's that?
Speaker 1: The lat no so live share is also delightful. That's a whole another thing. Right, So, if you have visual Raudio twenty nineteen installed, if you open the developer command prompt and type CSI, you will be dropped into an interactive sea sharp environment, right. An environment that is, you know what are often called a repel, a read de val print loop. Right, so you have the ability just at the command line to start banking around with different C sharp code snippets, you know, which can be really useful. The two things that I end up using it for are more sophisticated version variations of what you can do with string dot format, right, because there's always that thing like, oh, I know there's a way I can format the state, and I can't remember the exact syntax if you want to specify how many decimal places you want after a number and string dot format, like, I can never remember the exact syntax, and I could google it, or I could just open C sharp Interactive and try it right there. And then there's also a C sharp interactive window in visual Studio, so if you already have visual Studio open, you can drop in and check out you know, just small all snippets of C sharp code so again that's not exactly what I was here to talk about. But if you're not, that's cold. Yeah, if you've never played around with C sharp Interactive, which, like I said, the command line is a CSI. If you have Visual Studio installed, you already have it installed, and so yeah, absolutely check that out too.
Speaker 2: That seems like something to be should be more prominent in the in the idee to discover it rather than have new to go to developer command prompt and then type CSI and then do all this stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, and you can get to it in Visual Studio too, So if you go to the Visual Studio tools window, I apologize for not having open like if I think if you just go to visual Studio, was it like view or views? You can find c sharp Interactive right in there. It's pretty cool. It's hugely underutilized.
Speaker 2: All right, so you go, oh, go ahead if you got a question.
Speaker 3: Yep, Like with vision Study, I can kind of understand that it is such a big application. There's totally things that I worked on a v and I probably haven't discovered that it can do, to be, So.
Speaker 2: What else should we know about notebooks? You know? It just sounds like something that maybe a lot more people should be messing around with and posting things or letting people know about this because I've heard about notebooks, but I didn't really understand it until now. So you you've done a great job, but explaining you how I can you know, start using them?
Speaker 1: I don't know if there's a whole lot else to say, just because there's you know, once you get into it, it is a pretty straightforward thing, like like on it's very obvious where you'd want to have code and where you would want to have marked down? Do you ays really intuitive? I just encourage people go and play around with it.
Speaker 2: So how do you organize there's notebooks so it's each file called a page, or how do you how do you organize lots of different things together?
Speaker 1: I've never really that's an interesting question because I've never really had to think more hierarchically. Most of the notebooks I've personally created kind of makes sense as a standalone thing, like you don't really have a project file of notebooks, you just have the notebook file. That is an interesting idea, though, I would be curious to know if if there's a better story for that of like.
Speaker 2: How would you organize multiple notebooks that are all related. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the if you look at the the GitHub project that Microsoft provides that has their notebook examples, you know, it's just a it's just a folder with a bunch of these I, P, N, Y, and B files in it, but they're not necessarily organized into a project.
Speaker 3: I wonder if they get to a stage where like the features of the notebook could be used in a normal like CS file, you know, like just like I wondered that, you know, instead of just being to comment things can be putting in mop down and thinks of that and to you just your normal source code. I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not, but I'm just wondering, and it is.
Speaker 1: An interesting idea where you could have a CS file with an image in the comments. Yeah, yeah, definitely. I've definitely worked in situations where the code was maybe documented as a flow chart in visio before it was ever implemented. Right, And could you just like have a screenshot of that that video diagram, like, hey, here's here's the decision tree that we're working from. Or I suppose the other thing of being stating one of my clients does a lot with CAD, and so a lot of times we're writing code that manipulates objects that started somewhere in CAD. Like you could have an LSE case. It's like this LSE case exists to cover this this diagram or you know this modeling concept. That'd be interesting. I'm sure there's good reasons to not bring images into CS files, but it does seem like it.
Speaker 3: Was probably like thought control looks a bit weird if you have you know, thought control its designed for text, right, so it's not putting images make it a wonky. It's how to use, but yeah, it's it's safe to talk about that. You don't know what the consequence is are but because it is so once you open that can and you know you can do so much. People putting in videos into your SOS code.
Speaker 1: Well, in some of the languages have opened that can because they now allow emojis and variable names.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, how would you do that?
Speaker 1: I if memory serves, I think Swift allows you to have emoji named variables, which I could in some cases see would be really powerful and expressive. And in some cases, like someone used three of the poop emoji, is this variable name?
Speaker 3: Like how different to communicate that your you know, dead meeting is that variable here with two foods and two free one? You know, like that's not a signed you know, like, yeah, that's just.
Speaker 2: And then everybody's going to agree with what the name of what that emoji is you refer to it. It's gonna be you know some some people can call it crap, the other ones call it poop, you know. You know. Yeah, so I did find it in the ID. It's underview. You have to go to other windows. There you go and you have C sharp interactive and there's F sharp interactive as well.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: So it is like one note, can you do these types of notebooks in one note? That might be a way to organize them together.
Speaker 1: As far as I know, there's no way to do that. But I also love one note, so I would be thrilled if that was the thing that one note could do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be cool.
Speaker 3: I think could if one note supported markdown Actually, that would be the would step forward for them because yeah, a lot of times I'm pasting code of the reformat it and all stuff first.
Speaker 2: So cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you think about formatting code. It is worth noting that the VS code notebooks extension does have syntax highlighting, it has intel a sense and yeah, so it looks like proper C sharp code.
Speaker 3: And you can debug line by line and I'm guessing.
Speaker 1: Mine, No, there's not a debugger for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't step for it. I would fought for an educational tool you, but maybe it's the saying that they will I'll put in eventually.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the workflow would be more something where you would I think instead of debugging, what you would do is you would just have three lines of code and display some output and have another couple of lines of code and displace.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Cool. Well I think I'm really, you know, kind of kind of anxious to get out there and play around with this a little bit. So that acceptable.
Speaker 1: We should stop the show, stop recording so we can go play with the code.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it. Or let's at least move on to picks. Let's depicts before we stop the show. All right, Why what do you have for your pick this week?
Speaker 3: Okay, so my pick is a little bit different this week. It's not a fun thing that we usually do. So it's actually I wanted to Oh cool, I want to give a shout out to cloud Flares DNS Caravada. So I mean people probably know because we're program it here, but the Internet's how the Internet's design is actually like it. It's actually been fairly broken. It's it's never really been designed for privacy. And although these days almost every website uses ACTVS, that's really that's a really good step forward, but that's actually not completely hiding all of the things you're doing. One thing that one way that people can I guess listen on what you're doing is using your DNS lookups because DNS usually isn't encrypted and then just you know, it's usually your DNS provider is usually just with your I s P and there's no I guess you'll have to check whether your IP is logging or your DNS lookups and they are then essentially all of your all the website you're going to is essentially stored against your your IP address. So cloud Flag has actually provided like a like a public DNS provider which you can I guess point your DNS look ups to and that they've built it I guess with priority in mind, so it's all encrypted the traffic and they're guaranteed to not log your traffic for longer than twenty four hours and things like that. So yeah, I thought more people should should do it. It's really easy to set up. Just point your DNS look up to one point one point one point one and I had a bit of read about their their business model, and it seems really legit, like they're not The reason they're doing it is to improve their services because they're I think they're like a CDM company. They're all about trying to make their clients were pages faster, and this allows them to essentially improve that improve that offering things for to say.
Speaker 2: So, probably Google's eight dot eight dot eight dot eight is probably not so private.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess it depends on which company you trust. I don't know, Like I probably shouldn't go too much into that, but yeah, like I think cloud I read I read Cloud Justification and I was like, okay, cool, you're not You're not going to take my DATEA I can't see you wanting to do that for But also, I think the cloud fled thing, the offering it's independently ordered by tap the MG so I'm not sure what that means, but I'm guessing it's it makes it more independent.
Speaker 2: Okay, So my pick this week I is a little bit different because it's something I don't think we've ever had as a pick before. I don't think ever anybody's ever picked music or a band. We've got on for over over a year now, maybe year and a half or something like that, and nobody's ever had a band.
Speaker 3: I think I did the Smashing Pumpkins once, I.
Speaker 2: Did Allow No. So so one of my favorite bands growing up was the band Rush, So kind of shows my age a little bit. He's kid things like that. So, you know, recently the drummer of the group died, but he was like one of the best drummers I've ever heard in the world. He just just very artistic. He wrote a lot of the songs and the music somethings like that. So you know, back to some of their greatest albums, so like Moving Pictures or twenty one to twelve, things like that. So if you want to hear a good rock band, you never heard Rush. They're actually from Canada, so check it out.
Speaker 1: All right, Eric, I'm going to stick with the technical pick and apologize for not having something more creative vibe. Recently been reading the concurrency in C sharp cookbook by Stephen Cleary, and it is not a thick book, but it's got some really great technical detail. I thought I understood a sink and a weight in C sharp, but I have learned so much reading this book and it's a lot of information that's very practical. So I should check it out.
Speaker 3: Books.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, a sink, a weight. Yeah, if you dove into that, that's the state machines and all that kind of stuff can get really funky and really complex. You really grasp the entirety of it and make sure everything is working, the whole stack, all the way up being a sync of Wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The actual use case that got me into it was Project I'm on. Had a kind of squirrely situation with cancelation and realized I had a lot to learn about how to properly cancel async and away tasks, and so I picked up that book and it did not disappoint.
Speaker 2: Cool all right. So, Eric, if people have questions and they want to reach out and get in touch with you, what's the best way.
Speaker 1: Probably the easiest way to find me online is on Twitter. My handle is at Potter Eric. All the Harry Potter fans ate up all the good. Potter handles right away on Twitter, So I'm at Potter Eric, not eat Potter or anything like that. My blog is humbletoolsmith dot com and I've got some content up there, both on c sharp Interactive and on the dot net notebooks. And if you want, you can find me on LinkedIn. I hang out on there sometimes.
Speaker 2: So thanks Eric. Great show. If our listeners want to reach out in touch to us, we'd love to hear your feed. Let us know what we can do better. They can reach me at Twitter. I am at dot net superhero all right. And Caleb who's not here, he's at Caleb Wells Codes. Thanks Eric, great show. Glad to have you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks so much for having me on. This has been a fun conversation.
Speaker 3: Thanks coming on great all right.
Speaker 2: We'll catch everybody on the next episode of Adventures in dot Net.