Speaker 1: Hi, It's Ryan Thomas. Please to welcome to the fifty five Case Morning Show former House Minority Speaker Bill Sites, who now apparently is going to be leading the panel with former Congressman Pat Taberry to help maybe resolve the property tax issue we have going on in the state of Ohio. As my listeners are well aware, we just did the budget in the state of Ohio contained three provisions which I have been referring to as sort of baby steps toward property tax reform to help lessen the burden of the property tax that we're all facing. For whatever reason, and I don't necessarily know why, maybe Bill can address the question. Governor de Wine vetoed all three of them, which brought the legislative branch back. They overrode one of the three, but tabled the other because it looked like they didn't have the votes to override the veto. They may revote on that at some point, but in the meantime, Governor to Wine formed the Property Tax Reform Working Group, which Bill Sites is a member of. Bill. Congratulations on the appointment.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: Let me start out by wondering a question that a lot of folks have been asking, Is it really necessary. My understanding is been working on property tax reform measures and ideas, in formulating lists of them for well over a year now, and that's where those three that were incorporated in the budget came from. So do you know why do wane veto them and why we need to continue discussing this. Hasn't this work been done already?
Speaker 2: Bill Sites Okay, let's start with the fact that, yes, there has been work done by the legislative branch. Yes, they studied the issue. There were, however, no members of local government on the Legislative Study Committee. The Legislative Study Committee did come out with recommendations. There are twenty one recommendations, many of which contain the kernels of good ideas, but they said in their report I'm quoting some proposals may contradict others end quote, and they made no effort to prioritize among the twenty one recommendations which ones should be pursued. So we view our job first as expanding upon those twenty one recommendations, putting meat on the bones, and trying to deliver as much property tax relief as we can without breaking the bank of the state, and not putting too much state money behind it. Why did the wind detailed the three well number one. You probably have to ask him, but to my understanding, the reason was that he thought the measures were flawed in their language and that they created too much uncertainty and fiscal stress on units of local government. I'll give you, and you know, I'll give you an example that they voted to eliminate. They voted to prevent emergency levees and substitute levees from being excluded from the twenty mil floor. Okay, that's fine, but they want to apply that principle to existing levees. And I think we have a problem with us because it's tanked them out to changing the rules in the middle of the game. If the levee is a five year levee and it still has three years to run, it should be allowed to run out and expire before we go ahead and change the calculation of the twenty mil floor. Another example, they voted to totally eliminate emergency levees, replacement levees, and substitute levees. I'm for eliminating replacement levees, I'm for eliminating substitute levees, but I'm really not for eliminating emergency levees because the Property Taxpayer Coalition said, and I quote it should be limited, that we should limit the definition okay to a true emergency and run limited to a certain period of time. I agree with that. There could be true emergencies. For example, what if the Kerk County floods happened in Ohio? For example? What about some natural disaster? For example, what if the levee did not pass, the district would be thrown into fiftial emergency and subject to state takeover. So I think we can do what they wanted, but make a slight change to that language. I do. Our job is building upon what the legislature has done. We are not trying to undo it. We're trying to refine it. Now.
Speaker 1: I guess one of the concerns has got to be looming large. Is this repeal all property tax constitutional amendment that's they're circulating right now, trying to get it on the ballot. Does this work that you are working on, and do you anticipate the work getting completed and giving us some property tax relief through any whatever measures are presented in advance of that, Because that's looming large, and it's possible that the voters in Ohio, if nothing's done, might very well vote for that. And then you talk about chaos. I'm not quite even sure how that would be, how it would work in the aftermath.
Speaker 2: Well, that's an excellent point. The governor has given us a headline of September thirtieth to come up with our enhanced recommendations. That's a very tight timeframe. So we are working very diligently to meet that objective. That's number one. The reason why he picked September thirtieth is the legislature is coming back into session in early October, and so if they care to take up our recommendations, there would be plenty of time to do it. The repeal of the property tax initiative would not be on the ballot until November twenty twenty six at the earliest, and you're right, it would cause absolute chaos because the rough property taxes in Ohio. I'm out up to twenty three b with a billion dollars, all of which goes to local services. None of that money goes to the state. It is for local police and fire and parks, and senior citizens services, and mental health services and developmental disability and schools. Eliminating twenty three billion dollars would obviously do great damage to all of those local services on which people depend, and it would create another problem, what do you replace that revenue? Yes, you would need it if we've done great work Brian and cutting the income tax I was there twenty four years. We took the income tax brackets in Ohio that used to be nine brackets and a match tax rate of over eight percent. During my tenure, we took it down to two brackets, three point five percent and two point seven five percent, And so we made tremendous strides there, and the legislature just took another great stride forward and cutting it to a flat tax of two point seven five percent. I don't see the legislature being at all interested in raising income taxes again when we were so close to having achieved that goal.
Speaker 1: Well, and what a practice. Well, we're quite of the problems with income taxes. Only property or income tax only people who work are paying them, and property taxes only people who own property are are are paying them. But yet you have a whole host of people who are enjoying the benefits of all these services that are funded by property taxes. That aren't paying them. How about I mean, I've heard this issuon. I've even thrown it out increasing the sales tax a little bit. So literally, everyone who buys anything in the state of Ohio is participating and paying for government services. The problem that that presents for me is that's a giant pile of money that ends up in Columbus that will be responsible for choosing and picking how much money goes to any given entity.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a very good observation. And let me just say this. You would need a statewide sales tax rate. It's something approaching twenty percent if you were to replace that twenty three billion dollars with an increased sales tax. And for those of us who live here in Hamilton County on the border to Kentucky, on the border to Indiana, people would vote with their feet and buy their goods and services in Kentucky. They would not pay twenty percent in Ohio. In general, I agree with you consumption taxes are preferable to income and property taxes. But frankly, I always thought the income tax was the principle evil to be avoided because we've had property taxes in Ohio since the eighteen thirties. The income tax didn't arise until Governor Gilligan brought it to us in the early seventies. And you know, we've viewed that as the principal target. Now there's a lot we can do, a lot we can recommend. For example, why don't we let folks who are senior citizens and disabled homeowners, why don't we give them some tax relief, either in the form of an enhanced homestead exemption or in the form of some sort of a deal where you pay up to x percent of their income and anything on top of that the state will pick up, perhaps with the obligation on the part of the homeowner that when they die or move out of the house, they have to pay it back. So that would be kind of a no cost option to the state while providing relief to the homeowner during the homeowner's occupancy of that house. There's an idea for you. How about letting people instead of paying their taxes in big chunks twice a year January in June, how about saying we're going to give you a monthly payment plan. Yes, there might have to be some interest factor applied to that, because you're not getting all the money up front. But I think one of the reasons people hate property taxes is you get this job smackingly large bill twice a year. If it was spread out into more manageable payments, you would probably have fewer delinquencies and less outrage over property taxes. So there's a whole lot of great ideas like that. And our group contains school superintendents, county commissioners, county auditors, county treasure mayors, business people like Congressman te Berry, and me as a former legislator and taxpayer and property owner for twenty four years in the state legislature. So we're going to do our best to build on what the legislature has done, to suggest refinement of some of what they have done, and to agree with them that more needs to be done. We totally agree with that. There's a great bill that's pending up there called House Bill one eighty six. I heard one of the leaders in the House say that bill has to pass. I completely agree that bill has to pass. So there's not as much division between the legislature and at least me as might be perceived, I agree with much of what they want to do.
Speaker 1: So fair enough, bill sides. Appreciate your insight on this. We'll very much look forward with bated breath the reforms that you recommend and how quickly the legislative branch acts on them. Of course, you know it, I know it. Everybody in Ohio knows that our property tax bills just keep going up and up and up, and we're all demanding some form of relief. I wish you all the best in the world getting that relief to the property taxpayer bill.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Brian, appreciate it. It'll be a large task, but we're willing to try to get that done.
Speaker 1: I'm certain you are. Bill. Look forward to talking with you again when you get something out on paper.