Speaker 1: Kate was a person who saw the best in the world. She knew what humanity could be and was an advocate to do better, to strive for more. Her passion in everything she stood for, however, would ultimately lead to her untimely and gruesome death, and the very organization that was at fault turned their back on her family in the aftermath. This is the story of Peace Corps volunteer Kate Poosy.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcasting.
Speaker 1: The following podcast and material in for a mature audience, listener discretion is advised. Remember that time I said that there's going to be a horrible transition into Patreon.
Speaker 2: Is this the time?
Speaker 1: This is it? It's that we're just thanking patrons right now. So shout out to Courtney Wheeler, Brittany Olsen, Boblet, Brianna Seymour. I'm probably gonna get this one wrong. I'm gonna do my best. Hellic, Nick tur and Kerry g Awesome. Thank you very much. You guys get all that awesome behind the scenes and everything.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Like we honestly appreciate that so much.
Speaker 1: We do. You guys really are a big integral part of keeping the show going. So thank you so much for everything you do. It means a lot. Plus you get to be awesome patrons. You get to be back there amazing people. So yeah, yeah, how was that for a horrible patreone?
Speaker 2: It was unexpected, that was what I was.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, cool, it was different. Well, but it wasn't like smooth by any means. No, but that's okay, That's what I was aiming for. Yeah, we are officially five episodes away from Big two hundred. This is episode one ninety five. Wow, how does that make you feel old?
Speaker 2: Old?
Speaker 1: We've been going for a while, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, it makes me feel I don't know, time just flyes so darn fast. I don't I don't get it. I don't get it. Well, it does not seem like we've put two hundred episodes.
Speaker 1: Out, No, And I mean we're gonna be pumping out more now that we're starting to do Friday episodes. Because like last week, minus the whole like server error with our hosting platform, but we had two episodes out plus the Patreon episodes, we had three episodes we actually released last.
Speaker 2: Week and this one we record what day is it today? Saturday? I'm almost on holidays, so just don't mind me today Nichole's and holiday moment already, I'm trying to be Yeah, so it's Saturday, and this is the Tuesday episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we usually record on Monday, Monday night, right hours before the episode's release. Yeah, but yeah, we had to be above our normal schedule and be on the ball this time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and we should note that too because of the whole thanking patrons. So you've kind of sign up and you're thinking you'll be thanked. It will be next week.
Speaker 1: Yeh, next Tuesday, because Fridays we're not, but Tuesday as well. Yet you get it, you understand, okay, Kate poosy Okay, are you ready for the story?
Speaker 2: No? No, I feel like this story is going to be terrible.
Speaker 1: It is. I mean, it's a true crime podcast, so mostly we deal with terrible things. Unfortunately, you don't say. I feel like we've been on a bit of a stint of doing some different type weird cases recently, and this one definitely falls in that category. Again, It's yeah, there's some different dynamics to it. We deal with the Peace corpses I already kind of mentioned, which we'll talk about what that is and how it was all involved and everything, but it's different. Maybe maybe one day soon we'll just get to the stereotypical serial killer and how they get caught. But for now we're going a little bit different.
Speaker 2: That's okay. I think that's great.
Speaker 1: Fair enough.
Speaker 2: You're doing a good job over there, Thank you.
Speaker 1: It means a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just here for the ride until vacation. Well no, I mean after vacation, I'm hoping I can get a case out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be nice.
Speaker 2: That would be really nice.
Speaker 1: That would be But for now we're going to talk about Kate, so we digress back onto the case. Kate Poosey was born on June nineteenth, nineteen eighty four, in Augsburg, Germany, where both of her parents worked as teachers. Now, though born in Germany, they would soon move when she was only nine years old, and Kate spent her childhood from then on in Okinawa, Japan. Now this is where she continued to grow learn, you know, play as a kid right all the way up until she graduated high school and she left for college. Now, from a young age, though Kate showed a blend of empathy, finess, and smarts, and during her high school year she was actively involved in advocating for various causes, showcasing her passion for making a difference, and was elected even student body president twice. And she even graduate graduated as valedictorian in twenty wow in two thousand and two.
Speaker 2: Right on, yeah, she sounds awesome. She is.
Speaker 1: She's got a good heart, she's smart, and she isn't too much about herself. She's for others, other people for the better right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that sounds awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And from there, Kate would then attend post secondary in France, majoring in sociology with a minor in business Now. During these years, she also worked with underprivileged children, often supporting guidance for those you know in need, right, doing her volunteer work again doing what's best?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 1: Those who knew Kate said she was known for her radiant smile and positive attitude, and said that she always left a lasting impact on everyone that she met with a kind of person. With the kind of person that Kate was, it's not surprising to hear that she aimed to have a career in a nonprofit management position focusing on international development and advocacy for women and children. More specifically, everyone knew exactly what Kate was about who she was, and they would use all these different words and terms and descriptions and terminology that I've already thrown out there in an attempt to capture who she was in a summed up sentence. But Kate, for her, it was easy to define who she was. She simply described herself as an optimistic realist and was committed to making a positive difference in the world day.
Speaker 2: I feel like if someone was like doing an intro over me, I wouldn't be half that good. I know, Like she just sounds fricking phenomenal.
Speaker 1: I know. And then from what everyone like the resume she has on what kind of person she is and how everyone can describe her in such a heart of gold person, She's like, I'm just an optimistic realist.
Speaker 2: I feel like she's just like like light, just like light, very like beautiful.
Speaker 1: Human pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, after graduating, Kate continued to follow her heart of Gold and volunteered with the International International Rescue Committee, which is a global human humanitarian organization. I'm having troubles talking tonight apparently, sorry, my apologies for that, and now this organization provides emergency assistance and relief. As a result, Kate would find herself traveling extensively to countries like England, in Indonesia, Italy, Ghana, Greece, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Hong Kong, Spain, and Thailand.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of places.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There upon, yeah, going to different countries, volunteering and everything. Within her life, she traveled to many different places. Her talents for writing and photography that she developed from school and in her travels helped her share her experiences with friends and families, providing a window into her adventures and the cultures that she encountered along the way. In two thousand and seven, Kate expanded her dedication of doing good and bettering the world by joining the Peace Corps. So the Peace Corpse, if for anyone who doesn't know, is a US government initiative established in March of nineteen sixty one by President John F. Kennedy, and it aimed to foster world peace or aims as I should say, because it is still an organization today. Now they're objective, their core objective included providing technical assistance to developing nations, promoting a deeper understanding of American culture abroad, and enriching Americans awareness of other cultures as well. So from outside of assistance, it's a two way learning street, from culture to cultures. Volunteers worked in various sectors such as education, health, agriculture, and by living and working within local communities, they share American culture and values while immersing themselves in the customs and traditions of the host country itself. So those volunteers are actually going abroad to some of the countries that you know that Kate actually traveled to, living in the actual cultures the villages or wherever it might be, and volunteering to maybe agriculture, hospitals or schools, and they're they're immersing themselves in what these cultures are and then bringing their knowledge from North America and you know, like, well, this is how we teach North America and these are some of the things on English skills or whatever they're teaching. I don't know, And they just bring these things over and teach and share and then take back as well.
Speaker 2: That's like such a cool experience. Hey, Like I just feel like, that's just an amazing life experience. Oh.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine going it'd be so phenomenal.
Speaker 2: And it's sorry it's called Peace Corp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Peace Corpse Corpse Corps.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, the experience with the Peace Corps volunteer, though, does not end with their actual service while they are abroad. Upon returning home home to North America, they bring back their invaluable insights and experiences, of course, contributing to the broader global awareness sort of thing, right, because it's not just so much about them going out and doing good in other countries. It's about like, hey, what can you bring back to right, what can we learn from your experience?
Speaker 2: Totally? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, since the Peace Corpse inception, over two hundred and forty thousand individuals have volunteered, which is phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really good. Wow.
Speaker 1: So this was the perfect thing for Kate to join. It made perfect sense, and it matched the whole sense of what kind of person she was perfectly to a t.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. I was thinking that.
Speaker 1: To be honest, Well, I mean, why else would I have just talked about it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Just Hey, we're talking about Kate and then Peace Corps but anyways, back to Kate.
Speaker 2: They do a line like that, it seemed like her values the values of this corporation, like in.
Speaker 1: A line there is definitely a ven diagram here going on with yeah for sure. Yeah. So when she did volunteer, she was assigned to teach English in a rule village of again probably going to pronounce this wrong bad deuish. Nope, there's no in that. I don't know why I said that. Bad dewey, bad dewey. I don't know b A d j o U d a e love.
Speaker 2: When you're not sure, you're just spelling it.
Speaker 1: Bad Joe day, bad Joe day.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Anyways, it's in Benin, which is in West Africa.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So the village itself can't pronounce my apologies, but it is in Benin, West Africa, okay. Now. Benin is a nation known for its rich history, including the powerful Kingdom of Dahomi, which holds cultural diversity with you know, many different ethnic groups and languages within the Benin country or yeah, you know what I mean, right, Okay. Yeah, Sometimes it's really hard to portray another country, another place, like I've never visited.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, when when you're kind of just like learning about the.
Speaker 1: Place exactly right. So, yeah, now, the country's economic economy relies heavily on agriculture trade, particularly through the port of Port con To know, despite the uh economic growth of with this port, Beneen Face faces many challenges such as poverty, infrastructure deficits, which is exactly why Peace Corps has taken up in the area, right, So they're really trying to see what they can do to, you know, help them develop, help them grow specifically with you know, their their resources available like in this port for example, their trade, their their agriculture now. Kate, though served as volunteer over the course of these two years that she was there, and she built a strong relationship with the local community, particularly focusing on the women and children. Kate's initiatives included creating a girls club, organizing girls camps, teaching reproductive health, and addressing issues of male oppression, which reflected her deep commitment to advocating for women's rights. The Peace Corpse was everything Kate had dreamed it. She was making a difference, She was offering support and building a better world for people who needed it. Each day she did her best and it showed.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that just sounds amazing, creates a girls club, like are you kidding me? Wow?
Speaker 1: However, like any group or organization in the world, there are those within it who are corrupt, people who will twist things in order to take advantage. Kate, Unfortunately, you would find out that the Peace Corpse was not an exception to this rule of thumb.
Speaker 2: Dang here, I was like, this is such a nice story, and here we go just going downhill from here.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming yeah, you could say that. Unfortunately, Kate would eventually discover that someone who was working for the Peace Corps organization was assaulting young girls. So, through her interaction with the local community and her students and being a beloved community member, she developed very close relationship and ships with these people, particularly the women and children with the clubs and organizations she was running and developing. Right through these relationships, she became aware of these incidents, and it left Kate with no other decision. She had to report what was happening to the organization.
Speaker 2: Kate, I'm confused, So someone like a volunteer was harassing like say, people in this girls club, or like other volunteers, or.
Speaker 1: We're going to get we're getting into it. Yeah, I'm literally about to just start describing on that, so don't worry. So on February ninth, two thousand and nine, Kate sent an email to her Peace Corpse County director reporting allegations of sexual misconduct by a local teacher named Constant Bio. Now. Constant, who taught at Kate's school, was also regularly hired by the Peace Corpse in Beneaen to facilitate volunteer training sessions. So it is a local of the area because everything that's happening with them being in this other country, it's not just all volunteers coming over, right, they also hire locals. They hire people and create this like I don't know station, if you will, and volunteers come over and help, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah that sounds great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, so Constant was the one that we're talking about here, this local, Okay. So in her email, Kate's detailed how Constant had been assaulting and raping young girls in the village. She felt it was crucial for the county director to be aware of this behavior, not only for moral reasons of it needing to stop and this vile action needing to be putting an end to it, but she also had concerns that the association with the Peace Corpse and this individual would damage the organization's reputation within the community itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, imagine finding out about that. Hey, yeah, that's disgusting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I'd be able to sit back very very long, if at all. Yeah, speaking up. So, while the email itself has not been least publicly, I was able to find an excerpt from what she said. So here is a little bit of a clip of how it reads, and it goes like this quote. Please believe me, I'm not someone who likes to create problems, but this has been weighing heavy on me. I've loved my time as a volunteer, and it's important to me that the Peace Corpse remain a respected organization in the eyes of our host country. This man is not someone I want representing Peace Corpse to the Benese community.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it sounds like, yeah, like she really just from that little blip of the letter or the email that she put like a lot of thought into it.
Speaker 1: You know she did. She took this very seriously. Yeah, you can tell thought about it every which angle possibly and took it very not even just very seriously, but very professionally as well, which props to her. I don't know if I could have done that, I know I'd have been like, get this piece of fucking shit out of here.
Speaker 2: So yeah, because I feel like a lot of people, you know, they would just like lose their shit and could potentially go and approach this person, which could make things a lot worse. Right, So she was definitely doing the right thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, with the new information at hand, the Peace Corps organization had a problem that clearly needed to be dealt with. So, due to the information that Kate had provided to the county director about this individual in Benin, Constant Bio was informed that he would no longer be employed by the Peace Corps.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that was that.
Speaker 1: That was that. Now. I don't know how things operate in this country in Benin, as I already mentioned, I've never been there, so describing it was already a challenge. But this is an assumption of mine here that I have, and I assume that in an un underdeveloped country like this, I'm sure securing a job might be hard to come by, and for the man that we're talking about, I'm sure it could have been very devastating news that he had just been fired from it.
Speaker 2: Right, that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also very unfortunate. But at the time, the Peace Corps volunteers had no whistleblower protection. Situations like this were very rare, and they weren't. There weren't very many protocols on how to deal with it, and so, according to a report from the Peace Corps Office of Inspector General, the information Kate shared was not kept confidentially.
Speaker 2: Oh you're kidding me.
Speaker 1: Which means it was well known within the Peace Corpse that this man had had been fired, why he had been fired, and more importantly, who relayed the information about the actions that he was doing that got him fired in the first place.
Speaker 2: That honestly just seems like common sense.
Speaker 1: So that you would keep that, one would think, why, one would think.
Speaker 2: Okay, holy shit, that's kind of scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Kate had even received a follow up call from another Peace Corps employee regarding this matter and was told that the information had become widely among the employees of the Peace Corps office in Benin. One such employee, sorry, one such employee who learned what happened was a man by the name of Arlene Bio, also known as Jacques Bio, who was an associate director of the Peace Corps in Benin, and as you've probably already guessed by the last name, was the brother of Constant Bio, the individual who was fired.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, No, I actually forgot his last name, so I didn't put that together.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, fair enough, I'm glad I told you.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, shit, shit shit.
Speaker 1: The Peace Corpse response to Kate's report was, of course fantastic. They eliminated the problem right then and there. They got him out of the out of the situation, removing the man from his employment. However, the mishandling of the information proved to be a grave mistake, as the organization allegedly even disclosed to Constant Bio himself that Kate had been the one who reported the misconduct, directly compromising her safety and exposing too, of course, potential retaliation.
Speaker 2: Okay, like, what the actual shit? This just seems okay because it's not like she was reporting like something minor, like this was a big fucking deal. That's like you needed to be dealt with, like it needed to be dealt with.
Speaker 1: Correct, I agree?
Speaker 2: And so the fact that now she is in any sort of weird position is just like not okay, I just think that's terrible.
Speaker 1: I agree, there is one devil's advocate here. We are talking about an underdeveloped country still, So these are employees employed by the Peace Corps, so they are members of the Peace Corps organization, but they are beneath the civilians. So we're not talking about like people who are in skyscraper towers in downtown New York and Chicago who deal with this sort of sensitive information all the time. I guess I understand how without proper protocols, Yeah, they might not understand that you should keep your mouth shut. Well, yeah, potentially.
Speaker 2: I don't know what was she supposed to do. Like, it's not like she could just have had a blind, blind eye to that.
Speaker 1: No, she couldn't, especially for a person like Kate. There's no way she could have, especially when one of the big things she was fighting for was for advocacy for women and children.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how everything played out. Just days after the report was made, Kate Poosey was found dead. Gosh, her lifeless body was discovered on the porch of her small home and beneen her throat had been cut open ear to ear.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, it was a brutal.
Speaker 1: End that sent shockwave to the Peace Corps community.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that is just beyond fucked mm hmm, Like, oh my gosh, I don't even know what to say. You're trying to do the right thing and that happens to you. Oh man, Okay, that's terrifying.
Speaker 1: When their headquarters contacted Kate Poosey's parents to inform her of in form them of her death, they refused to provide any details or explanations on what happened. Lois and Harry Poosey, her parents had to piece together the circumstances surrounding Kate's death by reading her emails and speaking with other volunteers. Wow, they had to dig in and investigate what happened to themselves because the Peace Corpse they.
Speaker 2: Weren't taking any sort of responsibility.
Speaker 1: No, they were trying to sweep it under the rug.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like someone who was amazing died, you can't just sweep that under the fucking rug.
Speaker 1: Someone does. Yeah, it's your responsibility to look after these individuals and under your care someone was hurt or died, doesn't matter which one. And you have a responsibility towards that, but they were trying to sweep it under the rug.
Speaker 2: You know. And this is this gosh, because Kate had thought this through so much, right and I bet you and this was the reason why she had to think it through so so much.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely, oh man, because I guarantee you if she was still in the USA, she wouldn't have had to think twice. She would have just reported it then and there because her nomine would have been kept.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh okay, that is just so fucking sad.
Speaker 1: Four months after Kate's murder, the Peace Corpse ceased. All communications with the Poosy family cut ties completely.
Speaker 2: What the hell they're just it's just like their hand going spiraling and handling this shit terribly.
Speaker 1: Authorities in Benin didn't take long to react to her murder and soon made the arrest on Constant Bio as well as his brother Jake's Bio, and a Nigerian man from Kate's village in connection with the murder. These men were held in prison for years without a proper trial occurring, trapped in legal limbo sitting behind bars. It would be eight years after Kate was murdered when the men finally saw the inside of a courtroom in Beneen. Unfortunately, it didn't play out as anyone would hope. The court acquitted all four men because there was a fourth that was arrested as well of killing her on February twenty fifth, twenty seventeen, and were released as free men without any criminal records from the incident.
Speaker 2: Gosh, why no evitt? Was there not enough evidence? Or they are doing like time and what is that when someone liked time served? Time served?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a few reasons, like over time, a lot of doubts in their involvement in Kate's murder did begin to emerge, but it was not really like anything. Really, It's like, eh, did they really maybe?
Speaker 2: But most likely most likely.
Speaker 1: There was no one else and it's like they had the motive and everything. But several factors were contributing to their release. Lack of concrete evidence was a big one. Directly linking these guys to the crime was proven to be really hard. I mean, we are talking about an undeveloped country as well. Investigating is probably not the best there. The prosecution's case relied heavily on circumstantial evidence, since they didn't have any actual concrete evidence and well the motive as well to go along with it. Additionally, reports of witness intimidation and fear allegedly affected the willingness of key witnesses to testify against the accused in court. O dang mishandling of evidence and potential corruption further complicated the case. Remember we are talking about an undeveloped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I guess that. Yeah. I mean, it's good that they serve some time. And the thing is too, there's some like I do believe that they did it, the brothers or whatever, Right, I don't know about the other people, but like, oh my gosh, sorry, this is just I'm so upset for Kate. I can't even fucking think right now. But we have had cases sometimes where like it is someone else, Right, we don't know everything that went down there, that's true. There's a small chance I guess that it could have been somebody else.
Speaker 1: That's true, Right, it could be I mean, she was working with women and children in these close quarters. Maybe there was something else going on that we're not Yeah, maybe she did something she wasn't even aware of.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, so there is like the tiniest possibility that maybe it wasn't them.
Speaker 1: I am ninety nine percent confident to say that it was constant and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, But I mean, like you need evidence, right.
Speaker 1: You do. So. The acquittal of these four guys, these individuals in connection with her murder, was of course met with the frustration and disappointment from Kate's family and supporters. They wanted justice for her death, and the verdict was a significant blow to their hopes for closure and accountability now. The Peace Corpse is a government agency tasked with ensuring the safety and well being of the volunteers, and they failed. They failed Kate's they failed her family, and they failed the women who were assaulted as well. Kate's family and many others have questioned why the Peace Corps did not provide the necessary protection and support she needed, and why her identity was revealed to the very person she was reporting. The Poosy family, in response to the tragedy that they had faced, took action and created a project called Kate's Voice. The initiative aimed to raise awareness about Kate's murder and press for the necessary reform within the Peace Corpse. Lois Poosey, Kate's mother, expressed her resolve in an offen David sent to Congress, stating quote, after so much heavy grieving and feeling betrayed, we finally decided to stop being victimized, hoping in vain for support from the Peace Corpse. As a family, we developed an action plan to discover what really happened to Kate and assure that justice was done on her behalf. Kate's Voice sought to advocate for whistleblow or protection for volunteers, higher quality standards in Peace Corps management, and better support for volunteer victims and their families. As a Poosy family was building this report, another advocacy group known as the First Response Action was also being organized by Return Peace Corps Volunteer Now. First Response Action focused on demanding a stronger response from Peace Corps for volunteers who were victims of physical or sexual violence as well. One of the founders, Casey Frazzi, shared her personal experience quote, I was a Peace Corps volunteer in South Africa in two thousand and nine and I was unfortunately assaulted. While I was serving as a volunteer, I found that there were many other people who'd been raped or assaulted and weren't getting the services they needed. At the time that I was assaulted, there was no policy for how Peace Corps should respond to survivors of sexual violence and uphelic. We were just too far along in recorded history to not have policies like that. Both Kate's voice and first response action highlighted the significant need for reform within the Peace Corps to protect volunteers and provide adequate support for those who experienced violence, aiming to ensure that future volunteers would not face the same tragic circumstances as Casey or as Kate. In response to the tragic murder of Kate Poosey, the US Congress also made a move and passed the Kate Poosey Peace Corpse Volunteer Protection Act of two thousand eleven, which was signed into law by President or Barack Obama himself on November twenty one, twenty eleven. And I do want to say, there's also even a photo out there of President Barack Obama standing next to Kate's brother and he's he's holding a picture of Kate and he's just staring at the picture he's holding in his hand.
Speaker 2: Dang. Well, you often say like these like rules or policies and stuff or what is.
Speaker 1: Written in blood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say signed in blood, but yeah.
Speaker 1: They're written in blood because it takes someone to get seriously injured or killed for someone to say, hey, wait, we should probably do something about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, honestly, just like listening to this, it seemed I mean, I'm hoping it's gotten much better, but it's almost like disorganized in a way that they're you know, sending volunteers and stuff and to places and not really knowing what they're fully getting themselves into.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it's it comes down to it's a safety issue you do have. And I understand this might be a controversial thing for me to say, but you have white women going to underdeveloped countries where maybe the main population there is their colored skin individuals. I think a white woman from a first world country going into these areas is probably going to be like a target for assault or rape. And it's terrible to think that, Yeah, but I think that might be a case. So yeah, you have to look at their safety. How are you going to go along protecting these individuals. Whether it is white women, white man, color doesn't matter whoever it is. You have to look at their safety and how you can protect them. You're responsible, you're sending them there.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's just in well, gosh, maybe it's not intro like I feel at that time. They I mean, I think you even said it, it's surprising that they didn't have more in place, But every year we come like further and further with this kind of stuff, Right, that's true. So it just seems like for twenty eleven and stuff, that they should have already had something like this.
Speaker 1: Well that's exactly what Casey Frazzi was saying. To go back to her to quote, it felt like we were just too far along in recorded history to not have policies like that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, this legislation that was signed by President of Barack Obama KATEE. Poosey Peace Corps Volunteer Protection Act was designed to enhance the safety and security of Peace Corps volunteers, particularly those reporting misconduct or facing threats, and to ensure the organization provided better support and protection. One of the key provisions of this act was to was the establishments of the Office of Victim Advocacy within the Peace Corps itself. The office is dedicated to supporting volunteers who are victims of crimes, providing them with essential emotional, medical, and legal assistance. To address the issue of a whistle flower protection, the Act implemented stricter confidentiality protocols, basically meaning their names will not be leaked. The Act also mandated improved training programs, both for volunteers and staff, focusing on sexual assault awareness, risk reduction, and response strategies. This includes bystander intervention training and clear reporting procedures. Additionally, to ensure accountability, the Peace Corpse is required to provide annual reports directly to Congress, detailing the number of crimes reported by volunteers, the agency's response, and the measures taken to improve volunteer safety. Wow, annual reports.
Speaker 2: Okay, they're holding them accountable, big they are.
Speaker 1: Although Kate's life was tragically cut short, her legacy lives on through this legislation, which strives to create a safer, more supportive environment for Peace Corps volunteers. The change is brought on by the Act directly reflect the values Kate stood for during her life. Even in death, Kate is contributing to a more secure and peaceful world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh shit, that totally is.
Speaker 1: That's the story of Kate Poosey.
Speaker 2: Huh wow. I'm okay, Like this is good because at one point I was like, holy shit, like no one's going to ever volunteer for this organization ever again after hearing this, this is going real downhill. But it does sound like they're you know, kind of kind of learning from some big mistakes.
Speaker 1: Definitely so. And honestly though, like I don't want to speak bad on the Peace Corpse because I do think that they do phenomenal things. Well, yeah, they're an incredible organization, But I do think if it weren't for Kate's family actually going above their heads and like going to Congress and like fighting for this act that they were going for, I don't I think that the piece scarps would have just swept it under the rug. I really do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I honestly feel terrible for Kate's family, like they lost their child, but then to also, I don't know, to just be like, you know, swept under the rug like that too. I know, it's just like a double whammy of heartache.
Speaker 1: Really, thankfully it wasn't. Thankfully it was actually being able to get brought to the fore. Yeah, and I do think that's thankfully to her family for doing well.
Speaker 2: Clearly her family is probably just as awesome as Kate is.
Speaker 1: Right or was now, I do want to add one more little thing. I do think Kate would be okay with how things ended up. I mean, no one, of course wants to lose their life. But I think if Kate knew this act that was implemented and how many people she's probably helping with her incident, I do think if there was an afterlife, I think she's probably looking down, probably happy with what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think she's of course happy with being attacked, but I do think she's happy with the aftermath.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah something. I mean, it's always like you can just hope that something good will come out of terrible situations, right, and in this situation it kind of did.
Speaker 1: Ye. Still, it's been a while, but I officially want to name Kate our Badass of the Day. Yeah, one hundred and ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we haven't named one forever, Hey, I haven't, huh.
Speaker 1: It kind of caught me when I was writing this earlier that was like, we we haven't done that for a while. Kate someone who definitely deserves that title. She is our Badass of the Day. For sure.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and she was born and was it ninety four or something? I think you said.
Speaker 1: No, she was eighty four, eighty four June nineteenth, nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 2: Still like just so taken way too goddamn young yeap.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, I hope you enjoy your vacation. Now you have an eight hour drive ahead of you tomorrow morning. Hopefully you're not just thinking of this.
Speaker 2: I know it's you know, it's so interesting because before when I would take road trips, like I would always listen to true crime, like true crime podcast, like the Whole Way, right, and then I would get to my destination just be fucked because it's like so long to be listening to the ship right. Well like not that like that's bad, but just like terrible stories of people being like variable and and anyway, And I don't know. Now I just usually listen to audio books. It's changed, like I've changed a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, instead, you just.
Speaker 2: Because we're like researching and I hear them more on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: Well, whoa whoa, whoa whoa who's researching here?
Speaker 2: Well? I said we because I occasionally.
Speaker 1: Do you need to get back onto it and give us an episode here coming up.
Speaker 2: I know, I know.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you throw down the gauntlet and say before episode two hundred do you think you can do that?
Speaker 2: I'll let you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, how's this episode? Episode two oh one? Nicole's got it? That's one you two and yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, so what is if I have one before? I just don't have to worry about until two o one, I guess. So okay, well we'll see I do like, no.
Speaker 1: I'm calling you out two hundred and what that's your doing that episode?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's funny. I do have actually quite a few cases picked that I want to research. It's just I mean, June was absolutely insane for photography.
Speaker 1: Well, I have a book that I've been reading for a few weeks. I haven't picked it up for a little while.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: It's a tough read because the story is very heavy hearted. I'll let you guys know right now. It's a story of j C. Dugard. So I'm doing a deep dive into her case. And yeah, so that one hopefully will be coming out before we reach episode two hundred. I'm really taking my time with it. I want to do that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one you got to take your time on for sure. I also just have to say stop throwing me under the bus here.
Speaker 1: Well maybe you should say about with episode.
Speaker 2: This isn't my full this is your full time job, dude. To sha, I have another full time job to shae.
Speaker 1: But you still need to do an I know, you gotta. You gotta treat everyone.
Speaker 2: I know I should do one like once a month. That's not it's unrealistic.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. You were doing it once every other week before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, holy shit, yeah.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, holy shit. Yeah that's it.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, for sure.
Speaker 2: But it's just like I don't know where the time goes. There's never enough time. I need a clone.
Speaker 1: Touche toche. Well, thank you guys for being here. Hopefully you guys enjoyed this one. Maybe just in Hoary Kate, just see if you can do a little bit good out there in the next few days, you know, just make the word a little bit of a better place, you know, Pick a piece of litter, give someone a compliment, something small. Doesn't have to be anything crazy.
Speaker 2: I know. I mean, Lord knows that it's needed.
Speaker 1: That's that's yeah, that's the truth right there. Yeah, if you guys want to check out all their links, then the description of this podcast, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, all that good stuff. You can get tickets to our two hundredth live event if you're local because it is a local event. If you want to join up for our Patreon, we will be striking our streaming it there as well. Yeah, give us a review if you enjoy the show. We appreciate you guys being here, especially if you are still here after the episode's already done. We've been rambling. You guys mean a lot to us. It means the world because we are an indie podcast. It's just us. This is it. There's no manager, no management team, no nothing. It's us in our tiny home with our pets.
Speaker 2: Just killing it over here, you know. Okay, And so next time I'm stay wicked.