Speaker 1: Tom.
Speaker 2: I know I get accused every now and then. I've been old fashioned and stuck in my ways and I try not to be. But every now and then, you know, I can't but help remark on things go on with me?
Speaker 3: Go on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how are you doing? Everybody?
Speaker 2: By the way, welcome to the Tom and Jerry Show. I'm Jerry McBride. That's Tom.
Speaker 1: O'manny.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I've seen today?
Speaker 1: And I shouldn't have. I should it shouldn't have been.
Speaker 2: Remarkable in today's day and age twenty twenty six, but here we are. I saw a woman driving a bin lurie.
Speaker 1: Do you know what now?
Speaker 3: I there?
Speaker 4: Yes, I remember the first woman I ever saw driving a truck.
Speaker 3: We were laying concrete.
Speaker 4: I was about thirteen years of age, and honestly it was if a fucking alien was driving the truck, it would would have been less of a surprise, less of a price.
Speaker 3: And she wasn't, remember, I can remember to this day.
Speaker 4: She wasn't what you would associate with concrete truck drivers, if you know what I mean. She didn't get out with the sleeves cut off her shirt and fucking buzz cut like she was, and fine looking woman got out and she was like, all right, let's let's get this board.
Speaker 3: And then she went, she went.
Speaker 4: But it was do you know what I'm saying? More and more of and it's gone very cool. Is a huge influx of young women driver driving tractors.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, absolutely, Oh I'm okay, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I wasn't gonna pull the lady over and say what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Ladies?
Speaker 1: Weakness?
Speaker 3: What's a lady like you doing in a lorry like this?
Speaker 2: Do whatever you want? And it's delightful.
Speaker 1: We live in a world like that.
Speaker 2: But I can't help, but I just gotta tell you it. Just for a little split second, I was like, huh, quite the choice. There a bin lorry and not just a bit of lorry, Tom, the brown bin lorry.
Speaker 3: That's already. Woman.
Speaker 1: You're just driving around and stink from one end of the day to the.
Speaker 4: Next, and that gets into the into their skin and everything. But do you know what it is? It's a well pain job, is what it is. And you'd often find even it's not that you're stuck in the mode out ladder and looking at women would see a woman truck driver and go huh, chrish, do you know, it's it's just an odd thing to speak like.
Speaker 3: There's a couple of.
Speaker 4: Delivering stuff to a site one time and your man had his six year old young fla on a digger loads and stuff and load gifted and I remember going, what the fuck? That's that's cool?
Speaker 1: It just catches your eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean because if this is your first time listening to the Tom and Jerry Show, we're probably not making a great just two lads going like jesz, you never see you never know what?
Speaker 1: I saw a woman? Do you know what?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 3: Weird?
Speaker 4: Late, it's interesting and weird, and it's long, long may continue.
Speaker 2: It's it's traditional, traditionally a male centric profession, the bin men of this world. But I would recuse collectors of this world.
Speaker 3: Do you know what there?
Speaker 1: I said.
Speaker 4: I've said this many times when it comes to sports. So many sports are missing out when it comes to the women's side of things or men they are missing out getting men into women's side of things, like the tennis is huge now for women, the UFC now is huge now for women. Guinness drinking women. I'll tell you one thing. We need to more women block layers, but we need more fellas doing primarily women's jobs. Do you know more fella hairdressers? But what I mean is the same fellow that could come out of a bin Lorry go in and cut a woman's hair fair good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, just come in and go oh yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it's the goal is wide open there any anybody this world, you know if you just decide all of a sudden that you know, I'm going to I'm going to bust through gender norms here and go go work in the slaughter house or whatever it might be.
Speaker 4: Do you know some people are cut out different ways, and I think it's a lot of time And said, if that woman was raised around trucks, she's a.
Speaker 3: Better truck driver than you or I would ever be. You know that can away it's.
Speaker 1: In you to say the four cars here, Tom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't hold that against her either, like that cars too bigin my As you speak about you know a woman, I just just as.
Speaker 3: We're about the press record, I heard a.
Speaker 4: Screech from what I assumed I was with my wife, and I was correct. I'm like, christ if I had to deal with something now. She had just dozed off on the couch after we're finally finishing the final room here, final room in the house chairs nearly there, so she she was bed from it, and one of the ghats decided, I'm going to come all the way down and creepishly breathe against the window of the to sit room and just steer at the woman indoors, and that's what the screech was.
Speaker 3: So we leave. That's the way after.
Speaker 2: I don't like go to the best of the times. And if I saw a goat eye look at me through the window, I would definitely think that I was horst. And holy shit, isn't that hell a segment? Isn't that a hell of a segment? Into the segment of the Tom and Jerry Show, The Weekly?
Speaker 1: What have You?
Speaker 3: The Green and Red May. I can hear it still.
Speaker 4: It's I gotta tell you, Craggy Bogland, It's Tall Majesty killed Goannger.
Speaker 1: I've never heard that song before.
Speaker 4: How the fuck you saw doctors just twenty thirty years old? Shirt?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but who do you think was requesting that at a night club in Monaghan?
Speaker 1: Tom?
Speaker 4: No, But at the same time, you never just put on Spotify and just throw on some of the Irish hits, you know what I mean, just let it, let it select, and all of a sudden the saw doctors fucking bail and bail and hey.
Speaker 2: I would have always had the saw Doctors down as a goalwy band on that all En seventeen. I had no idea they branched out into other chnic.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing.
Speaker 4: The west, the west west of our not clear, not Limerick, not Kerry, Sligo, Mayo lead from risk Common.
Speaker 3: They're kind of maybe the more common.
Speaker 4: They're all they're all in it together, if you know what I mean, A bit like now again each other. They fucking hate each other right, but tis tis conductor to hell, you know what I mean? That is their area so like to be Galway people who were just as happy. And I'm no doubt there's one or two lads probably from Mayo or whatever front in the in the band. Do you know, like bet we better say what the week I have you is here now for the three people. I don't know how you're listening to the Tom and Jerry Show and not know how went down on Sunday. Yeah, so as it happened yesterday, as we're recording yesterday, history was made. History History's made every momentary, but true history was made. Decibel levels were apparently recorded at an all time record high when the whole of Castle Bar, Westport, Belahedrine, Foxford, all them places had infiltrated Crow Parks to field the Dreams to enter their eleventh All Ireland Final in seventy five years against the men of Kerry yesterday and against all belief, against all the bookies odds, Mayo went on to win the All Ireland Final in for Kayley Football yesterday.
Speaker 2: We everybody loves an underdog story and everybody loves a story story. So even if you're not a sports fan, and I have proved under this show that not many times I watched this game yesterday, and I'll be honest with you, I did want Mayo to win. I have a lot of friends from Mayo. Well, like you know, I say friends know them to see Tom Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you know I would wish them well and enough is enough. But at the same time, if Kerry had trends to them, I would have laughed at that too. But as it happened, Mayo, as you say yourself, after our seventy five year drought lifted the Sam Maguire Cup and if that's not word of a segment on one of Ireland's least listen to podcasts, Tom, I don't excuse yourself.
Speaker 4: Where we're in the top ten percent of some weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are in the top ten percent. Now what that what that qualification is? I don't know. Both.
Speaker 4: We're in the top top ten percent of comedy podcasts in Ireland on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: So stick tack in your pipe and smoke.
Speaker 4: Some of these are just jokes, buddy, Yeah, I know, I know it is true, but I tell you there was. I didn't shed it here, but there was a shininess in my eye. Have a lot of grawl from Mayo, we Honeymoon and Mayo. I was almost in the Hardy books. Do you know a lot of friends?
Speaker 1: You were the fifth Hardy book, like you were.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think I was going to be a hardy book, but it was. It fell around the time of My My My Onlymoon.
Speaker 3: We actually drove through.
Speaker 4: Swinford, which is Castletown, yes in the show, and they were filming it and I was going and attach such could do you want to do? You want to pull over? Because I'd been best I can't really do you want to pull over and see said, we'll be here all day if.
Speaker 3: I am in it. I don't mind him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you say that now, But you know that a wise man drives on, drives on to the destination. They're a wise man drives on. I think that's why your marriage is lested less than this long, because I had Yeah, it would.
Speaker 3: Have been different.
Speaker 4: Some of the wildest gigs have ever done, some stories, legendary stories out of gigs have ever So I have a grow for the place I once bought an envelop a woman with a beard in Foxford.
Speaker 3: As you do. And these these are these.
Speaker 4: Are just things that And that's not to say I don't I don't like Erry. I don't have friends from Kerry, but they had on this occasion. They've had enough, They've had enough for fox They're always there thereabouts. But no, Mayo went on two shall we said, you're as everybody's saying, break the course, break the hood.
Speaker 2: Break the break the break the usual, that they had been under it for the past seventy five years. Yeah, and that you know, we're not a very sporting podcast, but we wish Mayo all the best in their future. Endeavors, you know, so we were wondering about what we could talk about for this. There was a couple of other famous sporting droughts from around the world. The the Chicago Cubs, I want.
Speaker 4: To say to one hundred and eight years in two hundred and eight years with clubs I remember correctly was twenty sixteen, and it was on the same weekend that another drought was not just a drought, but a non event that ever happened happened. Ireland played the All Blacks this New Zeas and All Blacks and rugby in Soldier Field in Chicago. The place was already bonkers that weekend because the Cubs, the first time in one hundred and eight years a won the World Series. They call it the World Series year, but nobody else gets to play in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see teams from Germany in there, so you don't.
Speaker 3: Know, you don't.
Speaker 2: But even even recently, Tom, we had the New Year or Convix I believe, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Time in a long long time they did. They did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they did basketball right, the basketball in basketball.
Speaker 3: So it's nice to see.
Speaker 4: It's nice to see a people like this, As they say, it's good for sport.
Speaker 1: It's good for everybody.
Speaker 3: It's a great story and if it's good for you.
Speaker 4: Oh, I chatting with her own Colugan of the Hardy Books yesterday, congratulated because I don't even know what to say. It's party if us standing here all just staring at each other, not even shouting, crying. This was an hour after the match, just standing there looking at you other, crying for you know, entire lives have been gone and passed without.
Speaker 3: All you ever seeing it.
Speaker 4: Seventy five years like it's seven if you were seventy four years when you croaked, which is that You know it's an all right innings. It's not a great one, but it's not you have never seen as a male person, you won't have seen this.
Speaker 3: You know this this thing.
Speaker 4: Like there's very few people who saw the first one or the last one. I said, they won three up until then, but.
Speaker 3: Their last one.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at it, because this is what did get their interested.
Speaker 2: If you if you've listened to the Tom and Jerry Show at all, you know that whereas we don't really care for sport.
Speaker 5: We fucking love pishugs, we love love horses hexes and that invokes the rat of the we folk ing it all and.
Speaker 2: There are stories about the male course and how the team have come to go seventy five years without an.
Speaker 1: All Ireland win.
Speaker 2: And these stories are cute and add to the storytelling of it all. Tom, but we're gonna pull at them a little bit here and maybe we might think maybe they are just that. I mean, look at it.
Speaker 4: It stacks up as a great story. So to give people the insight in case you were going what, I never what, or you're going no, I'm with it, and you have some which way the way the way it's the way it's told and how it transpired. And I previously mentioned Foxford captain something brother of the Argentinian. He was a happen and he what's he? It's a great village. You've got a little museum. I forget his name. A man from Foxford went on to be I don't know. Is he admiral of like the Argentinian Navy or something brilliant like that. Anyway, another story for another time. But this incident happened in nineteen fifty one after Mayo had beaten mead In to win the Samaguara Cup. And this is their third time ever win it, so you know, they weren't peppered with fucking all urns either at the time, so no, it was a great affair.
Speaker 3: So they made it back.
Speaker 4: Like all crowds do on a big, boisterous bus. Now the argument is worthy in the bus were they in an open.
Speaker 1: Top within the back of a trail.
Speaker 3: Or a lorry like you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: But they passed the funeral procession in the village of Oxford, and essentially they were you know, your respect would be take off your caps, because they probably all had flap caps back then. You know, turn down the fucking music, cap out your pipe, you know, pause, spotify whatever it is that they're doing, you know what I mean, Taylor Swift doesn't need to be blaring through Oxford at anytime, let alone join in the funeral there.
Speaker 3: They did none of those things. They did nothing. They didn't quieten down.
Speaker 4: They were probably drinking all the way from you know, Dublin to the west of Ireland, which probably took about fucking seven hours back there, and by all accounts, an outraged priest reportedly JESU this fell had some if it he's something not only badness in him, but it's some imagination to say, I will, you'll, I put the hecks on you so that you'll never win an All Ireland, Mayo will never win and I Roland while every one of those players are alive. Now that's a I don't yeah, that's some don't you put that hit on me, Ricky Bobby? Yeah, yeah, so it is, I mean, and like that. They had since then up until now, jer did eleven defeats. No. Thirteen finals technic eleven finals, we'll say, but they had two replays, so they thirteen matches.
Speaker 2: Lost it every year since since then technically speaking, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, eleven finals and with two replays, least thirteen final matches they lost or didn't win unless they did would have drawn two of them. And they suffered a freak in the twenty sixteen final that was the year of the All Blacks and all that, where they end up scoring two own goals, own goals, I'm shooting off voter feet with the fucking shotgun. That was against Dublin and then the last lad Paddy Prendergast and Doctor Mick was one of the last, but he was one of the most outspoken and talked an awful lot about it. He died in twenty twenty one, and then the final surviving squad member died in twenty twenty. I thought it was last year, but it was twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: It says year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought it was last year, which again Elong getting this story there doctor Mick Loft as he passed away. So that left it with absolutely coming into twenty twenty six final, they were left with no surviving members of that score left left unplanet Earth and I don't know right. So sometimes like sport, when you get to the finals of things, what you're normally left normally left with are the two best fittest teams in it, the two mentally toughest teams in it. Yes, and for a lot of teams like Mayo's, like Watford, shall we say, like Galway and you know in the other you know in in the Hurlan, their final had been the semi final if you get me, and they're already fucking bet before they get there, even though they have the physical prowess, they have the ability to get there, but you want But what you normally find is two teams who get there. A lot kill Kenny's Limericks Tipperaries.
Speaker 3: They have self.
Speaker 4: Belief and this is unbelievable thing. The mental game is an unbelievable thing. So I wonder, do you know because they've been there eleven times and like that in twenty sixteen scored two fucking on goals, Like you know what I mean, that's a team that don't believe. They did not believe they were supposed to win or be there. But that team, Yes, today, after watching that match, they were down for me with the one five to one point.
Speaker 6: At one stage, I was watching it, watching it on the on the live blog on the phone and because there's out walking the dog and I looked at ten minutes in, I was like, lads, I thought you were going to make a game out of this.
Speaker 4: Well, they had the mental fortitude, as they're say in wrestling, to have the to hold in there, stem the flow and then turn the tide and end up winning the thing. And I wonder, right, there's times I'm not totally getting off the fence on this story, but do you think that the hohodo is gone even if they believed or didn't believe that, Well, the hoodoo is gone now, so let's go all in now. It does help that you've a new coach, you know what I mean. It does help that you've got a batch of players who haven't been tainted by the fucking.
Speaker 3: The failures in the past.
Speaker 4: They think they you know, they don't have that thank And there was one guy there now he wasn't playing.
Speaker 3: What's the name, o'shee.
Speaker 4: He's even he's a carry name, but he's not. He's he's been there a million times and never never done it.
Speaker 3: Now he was out.
Speaker 4: He wasn't in the game yesterday. But I wonder what is it was the who'd have gone on?
Speaker 2: That's that what I'm hearing from you, Tom, is if you believe you're cursed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 4: I wonder if you believe your curse, your course, because some teams are course. Cork last year in the All Arn Final they were up by about six thirteen fucking points at halftime and in their head they were on the bus with the trophy all the way walking down fucking Grand Parade and Cork they forgot that there was a second fucking half in the match.
Speaker 3: Tipperary didn't tipper delighted to be there.
Speaker 4: When do you know what, We're actually still in this game and we're kind of shy all year.
Speaker 2: You know what, you know what I want before this day's outres I just want to get on the scoreboard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they fucking ended up beating by about thirteen fucking points because Cork ended up being so full of themselves. And we're on the bus and gone home and mentally so now the mental.
Speaker 2: Time I want to talk to about I want to talk to about this course because then we haven't We don't want to absolutely pass on Mayo's parade.
Speaker 3: But there's a fair.
Speaker 1: Degree of fucking waffle going on here.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: It is true because.
Speaker 4: I don't think even even Jorn I can't remember, but I watched it, yes, and I've seen a couple of clips of it back. But I don't even think Joran Jack Coyne, who is the coat or the captain is I don't think he mentioned it, do you know what I mean? He gave this a very heartfelt standard speech and you're kind of going the captain even didn't even mention this seventy five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like what course here?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah? What I for all the rest of them because you you have to be cut throat. These guys are gone. You can all suck on the course that fucking last losers. I'm the fucking winning captain. I will never buy another drink in his fucking county.
Speaker 2: I'm getting a job as a sales rep for red Mills in the morning.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent.
Speaker 2: So here's the crack, though, the talk that the course was handed down by a priest doesn't really hold water. Now, a Catholic priest would not be one for issuing what it is for all intents and purposes of tom pagan.
Speaker 4: Course, pagan carry on, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Pagan carrying on, and and and and I.
Speaker 2: Can't see a priest came And I tell Dina, not one of you will ever see the winning of all Ireland again on account of what is you know, certainly a little bit of ignorance, but like.
Speaker 1: You know, it's one funeral lads.
Speaker 3: And also, I can promise you at the time one thing. Two things went hand in hand.
Speaker 4: Well, I was the Catholic Church and the GA went hand in hand.
Speaker 2: And if there was anything that the Catholic Church was gonna let slide, it's the mishaps of the GA.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing previously talked about. Prender Guest, Mister Prendergast, Paddy Prendegast. He was all over every sort of podcast and everything open right up till his dying day, and he couldn't recall it. He said, to be honest, I was down to deep in the truck, if you know what I mean to decide, we're hiding high on it. So I didn't really come across such thing. And it was never mentioned afterwards. And I mean that could be from one man. But here's where it gets interesting. A father Quinn was played in that game for male and a priest himself, back when priests were playing football. He played in that match and he completely poo poo, he went, not a bit of.
Speaker 1: It, not a bit of it.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 4: Well, it certainly didn't come back through any fellow I knew, and I would have known the priest that was if if in fact there even was a funeral that dager, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But you know, like that'd be the kind of thing that with records and one thing another, you could probably look that up fairly handy if you were so inclined.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: There is talk that this whole mention, of of course, only started to grow legs in the early two thousands. Yeah, and that's when not for nothing as well, our old friend the Internet gets into into play and people can chat and and Chinese wisper can spread an awful lot quicker when you've got the fucking horror box in front of you, rather than just local stories for local people. But I dare say, some little rumor or some little Scotch escaped containment. I became.
Speaker 1: The whole thing.
Speaker 4: What it is bounced around that it was the widow, which you could kind of, you know, if you're thinking about this in terms of a good story, the widow with the black lace around her face, and you know, and all the rest. But then I'm thinking, geezuz. I mean, they're die hard football fans. I'd say even she would have been happy enough with the win.
Speaker 2: If her husband is a Mayo man and he's in a coffin, then you know he's only sorry that he died before they've seen the game.
Speaker 4: And then for maybe people like you and me asking that question, going yeah, I don't know. If she's a Mayle woman of Fox for women, she probably delighted. The husband would have been delighted. Then the story grew legs and they were told then that always a traveling woman and traveling women would have been of they would add a hexy vibe about.
Speaker 8: Him back then.
Speaker 4: Aout them yeah yeah, yeah so and it there. It bounced back and forth in between this mystical priest. There was never a name on the priest. There was never a the like the wording was very, very harsh, yes, very harsh, all of you have to die before Mayo will see another Ireland gen like I wonder too sometimes when it comes to these things there and this is probably past me getting off the defense. Is there a bit of fucking crutched on under a situation too, like we're going why don't you fucking won anything in fucking sixty years?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Would you believe it on the day the last time?
Speaker 4: Like I wonder if you went around the world, or if you went around like counties, would you find parish teams that miraculously happened a similar thing like well this is a two times like apparently a priest to put a hecks on. They'd be first cousins my father, and they would they were a funeral something to do with the funeral going up the wrong way when you can't come up this way and the hecks are putting them and nothing give of it. I don't know if any Hicks was put on him at the time that would definitely have fallen out. Did happen, but that was about the extent of it.
Speaker 2: But this might be like the hecks that was put on me that said I would never see six foor tall Tom. You know, yeah, I'm sure I fucking ran a foul of somebody, somebody witchy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, yeah, he put on me I wanted to play corner over the Tipperary or that also never transpired. I know what which I must have upset back in the day.
Speaker 1: Would have nothing to do with their scalear talent.
Speaker 3: Would have to be no, no, no, no, have to be.
Speaker 2: Course was the reason why the Tom and Jerry Show hasn't cracked the top five percent podcasts in Ireland.
Speaker 4: Hex hex anybody wants, anybody wants to know about it, go back and find the p Shokes episode. And we probably maybe treaded too closely to the to the Nether World Secrets. I do think I think it was a bit of a crutch that was invented for the reason for failure and maybe could have been down to the fact that.
Speaker 3: They didn't have the mental fortitude.
Speaker 4: They probably didn't have the training programs that Dublin Kerry to some of the northern teams Corks, you know, the good football teams who actually had a training program that they put in place, and they didn't just swan around the place fucking feeling sorry for themselves that they couldn't pull the trigger and get rid of the bridesmaids.
Speaker 3: Stress.
Speaker 1: Let me let me yeah, I know that's hard. Let me ask you one.
Speaker 2: Here, Tom now before we will jump off and we let that we let you know. This episode drops on Thursday, Mayo is absolutely still going to be in the pub by then. So we have a couple of drinks. What do you think now of the male people you know, and I know a couple as well, and I know a couple of the same male people.
Speaker 1: Now that they've actually won the All Ireland, what do you think they're going to fucking winge about now?
Speaker 4: Now they wonder why they don't have any success in Hurland. Yeah, because you don't have a single fucking.
Speaker 3: Holder in your whole county.
Speaker 4: Alright, I'm sorry, let's but you would if you look for the on switch on a fucking early but I would say that is the next thing, if they're going to find a crutch for anything, don't make it another seventy five year fucking course, lets because nobody's fucking buying that one. Next Yeah, I would say we were probably all Mandela affected into it.
Speaker 3: After a while we were gone, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that classic seventy five year old.
Speaker 3: Seventy five year old.
Speaker 1: Of course, course your generations.
Speaker 4: Now came up in the nineties, and like so many things, if you don't actually ask a couple of questions, it's much easier and much more fun to go along with it. Like yeah, because what it did, jar was it told a story brilliantly and it culminated yesterday. Like I said, desperbel levels went above anything that was ever recorded and Growk Park for a match before that, there was grown men roaring, crying on their hands, blessing themselves. It was like, you know, it was like a one of those superchurches.
Speaker 3: You know, there was people fucking with hands.
Speaker 4: It was like the fucking one of your man olds and Joe Olson just happing people on the head, just gone feel the power of Jesus. You know. There was lads and look, I mean I love it. I love it when they like to. If you could have measured the good vibes in there yesterday, I'd say it would have healed the lame. What they cured the sick? What the fucking raising up the fucking date?
Speaker 3: You know it was.
Speaker 4: There was those kind of vibes and there's nothing like it. There's children fucking happy, there was out people happy. Everybody was happy, and I was so happy for them. And then when the saw Doctors, which you know, a leats wouldn't do any harm to get a Mayo band to fucking sing something. But anyway, when the Saw Doctors sang blast blasted out beautiful song about the lovely Mayo, you couldn't help but go, this could be a fucking movie. This is always I mean, it's got a Hallmark movie or Disney. It's got a mighty Ducks vibe to it.
Speaker 2: It's got a mighty Ducks vibe to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now without no one going through and the players or anything anything like that, because we don't need educator selves too much on it. Because I'll be honest with you there the way, I always like playing Gaelic football because I wasn't taste enough to play a hurler and to be Horland up until once I got past the age twelve intemporary if you can't, if you can't, I probably would have started for most fucking shut with the Wolves for that. Yeah I could have started a couple of Shy county teams. But in tip if you can't hurl herrle by the age as well, yeah you're you're at not like so football. And that's literally how it's looked at Like if there was if there was a lad on that Mayo team yesterday but he had Hourland training for his county or for his parish in Tipperary, they'd be totally leave off to command to fucking play and train.
Speaker 3: That's the way it's looked at so. But we I would love to look at it as a as a movie.
Speaker 1: Who who would be?
Speaker 3: Who would be are?
Speaker 4: Because really the hero of all this isn't so much the coaches. It's it's or isn't so much of the players. It's the coach, Andy Moore, former player who came back after being never getting so close and he you know, did a bit with you know, I think lead from in a couple of other clubs and Monahan actually his backroom staff from Monahan as well, there you.
Speaker 3: Go, and then he comes back. Who who's going to play the coach?
Speaker 4: Do you know?
Speaker 1: It depends on the Benson when you get him.
Speaker 2: But you'd imagine that it's Chris so downs to lose there, don't you.
Speaker 4: I suppose, I suppose, But I mean if if if we want to if we want to stay local.
Speaker 3: I don't care. I don't care.
Speaker 4: Let's m let's assume we can put a good Irish accent in all of them, which is fucking hard done by that, but with the fucking Irish boies.
Speaker 1: Can't do that?
Speaker 2: Noh okay, ex player comes back to lead everybody to sex success in our around the age appropriate. Now we'll give him early forties, early forties. Okay, Well, it's not going to be Antonio Banderas that.
Speaker 1: No, they're really good.
Speaker 2: They're going to come at me here now they're going to say that McBride came into the podcast giving out about women driving Bin Louri's. Now he says, Antonio Bandeir can't play a male man.
Speaker 4: Just's no respect for anybody this guy.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but but but but someone of the someone of the Tom Cruise stature. I guess cruises a male I gotta be take his take his far and away accent out of.
Speaker 1: The wardrobe and get that out again like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna make it either Vince Vaughn or Woody Harrison, you know what I mean, because they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, even though I think they're a little bit old for it now, even a little bit of movie magic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, four year old man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, movie magic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I so for for.
Speaker 4: Captain Jack Jack Coyne yesterday, who were going to have who's going to be He's got to be fresh enough looking, can be athletic. That's that's that's that's that's young Paul Meskals to lose their I think so, yeah, I think it is.
Speaker 1: He can't do that, I know, I think.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we have to have a villain on the other side to two villains, the captain of the I don't know that one of the Cliffer brothers or who.
Speaker 2: Do you know what you want if you want a villain, you want the priest to be a villain in a flashback. Yeah, you want to have the priest and have the priest be like al Pacino.
Speaker 9: Brilliant and your great ass to never win the Oldland, your fucking assholes.
Speaker 4: Okay, brilliant, brilliant, And we're gonna have a bit of a jerk, so okay, and not so much a villain, but a jerk captain Kerry who plays a good jerk.
Speaker 3: I think we could have Danny McBride.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I'm gonna do? You know? You know?
Speaker 2: And I'm going to tell you now the fourth person that springs to mind, and it's a lady.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm gonna tell you we can, we can, we can, we can. We're gonna suspend.
Speaker 2: This is Hollywood, we can do whatever we want.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Do you know an actress called Carra de Lavigne should be sort of a model little slash actress, and she's been in a couple of bits and pieces you know where to see a very familiar name, right.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: She was in Suicide Squad, is what I know from, Okay, and she's been in a few other bits and pieces. But the reason why she springs to mind is her grandfather was one of the chief officers of the.
Speaker 3: Black and Tans.
Speaker 1: In real life.
Speaker 2: She's ahead, you know, so she's like fully descending from the Black and Tans. And if you're gonna send anybody out as a villain in an Irish movie. I'm gonna say either Claren DeLavigne or if she has a brother that can act at all, get him out there as the Kerry captain. Yeah, alright, Paddy, alright, you my own fox who if you wants to give Irish football.
Speaker 4: It was a you're gonna have.
Speaker 2: It's only because I don't know if Cromwell is any fucking descending.
Speaker 4: We get, we get, we get Alan Ford otherwise known as bricked up to play.
Speaker 3: See what you want to do?
Speaker 4: It's out of time speech about how to bury a dead body will find yourself.
Speaker 3: With some peaks.
Speaker 4: They'll go through bound like butter, like a piece head does to carry whatever is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think we were making up over there.
Speaker 4: The Green and that's it, The Green and Max Christopher Nolan does the whole thing up clothes, builds a whole croak park without ever use the real c g Yeah nothing, you know nothing.
Speaker 1: I need a real body to run off the road.
Speaker 2: Well commre congratulations two mao. Uh, don't go mad lads and go for if you don't win it next year again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but go go mad like I don't want to like go mad the supporters, but lads like, let's not see you know, saddle bags and b arses and the lads come, come, they.
Speaker 3: Started the league next year.
Speaker 4: We don't need to mean well that's us now. Although their leads their their head. Guy Kobe was his name. He's gone today. I believe he for celebrations. I don't think he celebrations lasted that long.
Speaker 3: He's gone. I could be wrong, it could be I think he's gone to Australia something. He's gone.
Speaker 4: I think he's gone to the Sydney's ones for and I can guarantee his agent was on the phone mid air going you may fucking put another time grand a month on that fucking contract.
Speaker 1: By the way, zero on that lads.
Speaker 3: That lad has a.
Speaker 4: Goed medal in his ars pocket and he's gonna put bums on seats. So and a great name you're gonna call somebody Kobe make him all and Ireland women when.
Speaker 1: And the man of the match winning nominal determinism.
Speaker 2: There enough about those last time. We could have talked about them all night, but we've been another a better show to do. We're gonna bust on and start talking about this lad.
Speaker 4: You have me very excited by this lad because Jerry literally he sends me the synopsis because there is a great producer of a podcast.
Speaker 3: He regrites me beautiful sass that are worthy.
Speaker 4: I've actually been in this description in all fairness. But therefore, the two of us to get excited about our own podcast three.
Speaker 2: We don't don't don't bury the lead in it there, Tom Bring, I'm going to bring the people through it here as well.
Speaker 1: We're not going to dwell on this guy.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know who Jerry is talking about, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited. I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: So uh and and and I could bring this up on Tom and be like, oh fuck, I know that lad. All that him every now and then on the Tom and Jerry Show. We won't have this lad, but we'll just have somebody that we wanted to talk about for a while. Yes, someone will catch a Ryean and we'll be like, Okay, not in the news or current affairs, but hey, holy shit, would I like to hear the story of this lad. And I saw this lad, I was like, gotta talk to Tom about this. This Lad's name Tom is It sounds Irish, but he's not Irish. To the best of my knowledge, it is Donald Donagan, Donnie dunaghan. Could he's got Donnie Donaghan is still with us, he walks among us. He's an old man at this stage, he is ninety one years of age. And why the fuck has he become this lad?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What made him spring into the pantheons of this lad?
Speaker 1: Tom?
Speaker 2: Very simple? Okay, Donny Donagan was at the time of it, and I don't believe it's ever been it's ever been beaten. At the age of eighteen, was the youngest member of the US Marines in a very particular role, a role that you and I if we were going to say that we like one role in the US Army, if we have a soft spot for one role in the US Army based on our love of movies like Full Metal Jackets, that role would be.
Speaker 1: What Tom, what? What? What? What role am I talking about?
Speaker 4: Is a drill sergeant, by anything, it his drill sergeant eighteen. He comes such a mean bastard at eighteen.
Speaker 1: Well he came in and who would everybody?
Speaker 2: They were they were you know, just he blited through the basic training tom he got all that done within his eighteenth year.
Speaker 3: When when when was? When was?
Speaker 4: I suppose if he's ninety one, now this must been.
Speaker 3: For the First World or Second World War?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 2: He made the Second World War just by a smage. Okay, okay, he missed the Second World War just by a smage. In nineteen fifty two he enlisted in the Marine Corps and became the youngest drilling structure in the history of the Corps.
Speaker 1: My man, and he was.
Speaker 2: By all accounts hard task master, as the drill instructors tend to be. Now, if anybody's listening here, going like drill instructor, please, is that the guy in the in the in the in the in the workshop that's telling you how to use the lad No, although funny to say, as I mentioned that Donny Dunegan was from the age of thirteen a laid operator, Well he was a drill master then.
Speaker 4: Literally mastered the So he was this fellow is this fellow is a bloke at like you know, making.
Speaker 2: More afirmation that his family weren't all that rich and he was helping supplement their income, and he got all the laid work in the area before he signed up for the Marines in nineteen fifty two, and they were like, this guy's too much of a bastard to just put rank and file and drill instructor. You'll be waking these fuckers up in the morning.
Speaker 4: Jesus, what a what a like? Typically drilling instructors are veterans, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 4: Yes, so through for this fella to be a raw motherfucker at eighteen telling other eighteen, nineteen twenty year olds get the fuck drop your drop your cocks and grab your socks exactly, stop.
Speaker 1: Your grinning, stop your grinning, and grab your linen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he the drill instructor again. Sorry, I very the drill instructor. Like from Full Metal Jacket, the guy at the start.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm gonna re Sergeant Hurt.
Speaker 2: You're seeingiorr drill instructor who just balls people out.
Speaker 1: I didn't know theice that shit that high. Yeah, that kind of guy. That's our man.
Speaker 4: Days of fingerband banging, Old Mary Jane Rottencratch next door over.
Speaker 2: So Donagan decent, decent, decent soldier, shall we say, right by all means, served.
Speaker 1: Three tours in Vietnam. Wow, now, three tours in Vietnam.
Speaker 4: In Vietnam, and he signed up in fifty fucking two.
Speaker 3: In fifty two in Vietnam, he must have been fucking in his thirties.
Speaker 2: He retired with the rank of major, so he okay, Major Donnie Donigan in nineteen.
Speaker 1: Major Donnie donn again. Let me, let me just do Miss sums here.
Speaker 2: So that's twenty five years, twenty five years of active service in the military, and he's coming out of it at the age of forty three, forty thirty three and can do whatever the hell he wanted with after.
Speaker 4: Pension and everything at that stage, like that man's that was a major pension.
Speaker 2: He's all right, good pension. Bronze star. Three purple hearts. Purple heart is the one you.
Speaker 1: Get forgetting wounded in battle, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Purple hearts, But their bravery as well, I think like in the bravery as well, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Three proper heart.
Speaker 4: It is like gonna re sergeant watching my color from Heartbreak Ridge. Yeah, holy shit, it's a bronze star as well.
Speaker 1: The whole lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah they I'm looking it up here. So the purple heart is for being it's been wounded in battle. So I you're and surviving. You can get a purple heart if you die, and then the bronze star is for heroic achievement service or murders service in a combat.
Speaker 4: I'm think you're just you're circling me lips here now with this nice sup of tea and knowing that I full well love military nostalgia. But I don't think that's what Donny you're here to tell me.
Speaker 3: Donny did.
Speaker 2: No, Donnie, who went through twenty five years in the military and emerged at the other side, had carried with him Tom a secret that he had told nobody.
Speaker 1: In Yeah, great big Fluffy ears.
Speaker 5: No, he had a secret. He had a childhood secret that he had told absolutely nobody, and it's probably something that that led him to where he was because Donnie Donigan, when he was ten years of age, saw his mother get shot Fuck.
Speaker 3: Right now we know where the raw Baster was born, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, Donnie Donegan saw his mother get shot dead, and Tom, so did we because Donnie Donagan's mother at the time was Bambie's mother. Because what nobody knew was the Donnie Donegan, as a ten year old boy, was the voice of Bambie in the Disney movie Bombie.
Speaker 3: As a ten year old.
Speaker 1: As a ten year old, the sweet little come this way murther then, I think we've given.
Speaker 3: Them the slip, mother, Mother, hold on.
Speaker 4: So he went from being a cutey wootsie boy.
Speaker 2: I went from being picked from obscurity at the age of three in a talent contest in Memphis, Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Don't you know a.
Speaker 2: Family is poor as dirt and to stick the kid in the talent contest at three to get one hundred dollars and they're like, holy shit. And someone says, hey, get this kid into the movies or whatever. And he started in a couple of movies, not in major although we you know, we say the biggest role was Bambi in Bambi, But his biggest on screen role was the Son of Frankenstein in the Son of Frankenstein in nineteen thirty nine. I haven't seen that one, but I can only imagine's a cute little fucking dude popping around the place. And in nineteen forty two he was selected by Walt Disney himself to be the voice of Bambie in Bambi.
Speaker 1: Holy then did it?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 3: If you follow what I've told you, so far.
Speaker 2: And then he just decided at the age of thirteen, fuck this, I want to go with the laid.
Speaker 1: Don you if you learn those lines.
Speaker 2: There's this guy over here and it looks to me like he's Whittland Metal. What is this sorcery? And he went to become a laid operator just just and not.
Speaker 1: For nothing, didn't grow up to be.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like when Daniel dale Lewis quit acting to be a shoemaker all those years ago. This is a kid that's thirteen years of age going like, yeah, you know what, Yeah, movies. Movies are temporary, laid in there, that's where it is.
Speaker 3: Well, you see this is allowed. But his head strapped on.
Speaker 4: Let's be honest, like because I mean, the last thing he wants to be is like Jason Bateman, like, you know, just chasing the dream continuously. This kid, I love the fact that he knew he was done when he was done, like.
Speaker 1: You rapped, when you're done, you're done, when he.
Speaker 3: Wrapped it up went.
Speaker 4: I love the notion that he's just a burnt out kid at like twelve. It's like smoking hamlets now, just just walking around the house with a fucking with his.
Speaker 3: Bathrobe open, Spider Man bathroom open.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 3: That's You're just gonna have to. He just gonna have to. It is what it is. I can't know money left, Yeah, I got nothing. I gotta fall back on the tools. I gotta fall back.
Speaker 2: And then, you know, after after five years of laid operation turn Actually you know what you know, I think the real money's in killing. I think the real money's in killing and roaring that lads at five in the morning.
Speaker 3: She's been broken as a young deer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's nothing you could do with this kid, like you know, he's just like a minute now.
Speaker 3: He's got a thousand yards stare at thirteen years of age.
Speaker 2: Like a thousand yards there at thirteen operating a laid under constant risk of getting drawn into that thing because all the time, all the laid is folks as a PTO shaft that you can push a knife at. Yeah literally ah, and then gets to be the youngest drill instructor and head and at no stage for twenty five years to heat turn around and go do you ever see BOMBI? Yeah that was me, because how the fuck would you be a senior drill instructor gunnery sergeant Hartman. When every man in that in that training group knows that you're fucking the little deer that couldn't stand up on it.
Speaker 3: How how duped would you feel?
Speaker 4: You know, as a marine will say twenty odd years. You know, you served your time and you you're retired as well now. And this guy had been balling you out of it in Paras Island or wherever they were, San Antonio, wherever they're you know, the training.
Speaker 3: Base was, he's balling the fuck out.
Speaker 1: You be on it.
Speaker 4: You know he was your sergeant, then you're fucking He became major, probably took a desk job, but I mean he was your superior, and he was known as a hard con from day one, and you respected everything. He probably formed you as a soldier as a marine, he formed you because of his heart, he hard reasoning.
Speaker 3: And then you find out the country was Bambi's Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, what no, no, this is my my entire persona as a marine, A hard heart. You know, some of these legs would have went on to become Navy seals, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like that?
Speaker 2: This guy, he's as hard as fucking and in his own words, he says, you know, there was absolutely no way I would have succeeded in the military as much if everybody knew I was Major Bambi.
Speaker 3: But sure he do.
Speaker 4: You know what it was to his blessing in the course, You see, he didn't have any downtime leaning against the wall, smoking figs with the boys, because he was the boss from the second he was stepped in there. He's one of his freaks who can just beat the boss from the second he walks.
Speaker 3: In the door.
Speaker 4: But if he was just a normal grunt, there'll be sometime he'd be in a hole somewhere in the fucking Vietcong, you know, yet in the jungle, just leaning back going, you know, smoking the fact, trying to keep the head down, Charlie in the trees, going, do you know who I was as a child, fucking go on, I was. You weren't your fuck, But I swear to swear.
Speaker 1: To your phone out and look it up.
Speaker 4: You mean the phone on my back did have to wind up calling an air strike?
Speaker 1: He doesn't.
Speaker 2: He does appear to have had a bit of wit in it as well.
Speaker 1: And he's he's Memphis, Tennessee. Thomas. You know we were gonna like him as he.
Speaker 4: Has to be a soul in this boy anyway, like yeah, yeah, I got some holes in my body.
Speaker 1: Got didn't put there?
Speaker 3: Yeah it? So did he? What was the he has? He just did?
Speaker 4: He so a sequester into into ambiguity after that or.
Speaker 1: What after that?
Speaker 2: He retired with his good lady wife, who I believe it's still with him. But he will do an odd convention here and there. He will do the circuit, as they say. He works as much as he likes, is interviewed every now and then on on the subject and doesn't mind talking about it. But at the same time in his own words as well, he could have made it to be the chief of the Secret Service if he had wanted to be. He could have dove in front of the bullet that was headed for Kennedy. And still people will be like, that'sh a man that played Bambi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. As he sits there gone.
Speaker 4: Mayo for semn.
Speaker 2: So there you go, just a little story and the listeners of the Tom and Jerry Show, just just a little something something there.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: That's and the fact that he'd the wherewrell to keep himself.
Speaker 3: But you know what, I can totally believe it because.
Speaker 4: If you went, you know, as a team all the way into his teens and then got drafted, then you go, oh, I can see why.
Speaker 3: I see. You know, he's probably be a bit resentful.
Speaker 4: He chose oh yeah, twelve years of age.
Speaker 3: To not chase that dream. Ago.
Speaker 4: No, I'm going to be a machinist, thanks very much, because there's no money that fucking these hundred good lads aren't grown out coun trees and there's only one Bambie and I can tell you one night, but it looks things there isn't going to be in Bambie too, So yeah, I'm just saying.
Speaker 2: And the vice is going to be at thirteen years of age anyway. Yeah, And you know, the only equivalent of it that I can think of now is if you can imagine being a young US marine being selled out to Afghanistan and you're going around the fucking Candahar province and you're your squad leader.
Speaker 1: Is the kid from the sixth Sense, you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe they were fucked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but a couple I do like looking into those things every so you'll get you'll get them coming up what they're doing now and some flers to chase the dream and it doesn't go well from about her. But there was you know, lads from the goonies who just decided, it's one.
Speaker 3: Fell that's a vet.
Speaker 4: He totally gave it. He gave it in, give it up straight away. That was one and done.
Speaker 3: That's me.
Speaker 4: And went on to be a vet after that. A couple of lads you know from you know, the the flight and navigator.
Speaker 3: I think he went have to be a slicster or something like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, just even on to require a solicitor.
Speaker 3: Actually, I haven't fallen.
Speaker 2: Across anything to win into the military. And again here I am in a like.
Speaker 1: Succeeded. Yeah, to the high degree. You don't want to be pinned in by eminy fire.
Speaker 2: And you look to your left and it's just like sucking some lad from the little rascals besides you. You're like when he's sucking showing all the enemy where he was, he looks up the end of the gun, there's like a black ring comes up. Well, listen, there you go, just a little just a little throw in for you fine folks with the Tom and Jerry audience there and you know what we're gonna do, Tom, We're gonna rock and roll with the last segment of it. We went down memory lane for that. We went down memory lane for the last two segments. Seventy five years plus on both of them, but they weren't within our lifetime. The last segment of the show is we talk about things that we've experienced in our lifetime.
Speaker 1: Tom. It's the segment we call we remember when.
Speaker 3: Do you have any jar?
Speaker 1: I don't, Tom, do you I don't. I don't.
Speaker 4: If I was going and this will tell you how fucking deep red raw redneck I would be, I'd probably get this what's on my T shirt right now, I'll probably get this somewhere on my body.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you as as I get a wee bit older, I might actually might actually get a few.
Speaker 1: For the fuck of it.
Speaker 2: We better tell people what we are talking about. It is the rise in our lifetime, Tom, of what we used to know as tattoos, but I believe are now known as body art.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, buddy art, just like climate change with global warming one time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, packages is a different thing.
Speaker 2: Tattoo just just seemed to to to course for And you know what I'm going to tell you, I'm going to give it to this one, because what's on people these days are not what I knew was tattoos as a child.
Speaker 4: There's some now there's some shit. It's still out there because you're asking a human to do it. Well, I mean, this is it too until you get Now there's some people. You could have a year long waiting list, and people travel to Japan for some of these people, and it's so realistic it's ludicrous their mind, the way that works and the way they're able to write these do these things. I saw a guy got the full proclamation and it was very well done, but full Proclamation of independence on his.
Speaker 3: Back and not as tattoo. It is the first one he ever went.
Speaker 1: For whole we go all we'll go all in on the.
Speaker 4: Proclamation on something he'll never be able to read. It is on his back, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So, but that's I.
Speaker 2: Gotta tell you, Tom, when we were when we were coming up, you and I again, kids of the eighties. So I'm not going to say like what we were there for the invention of THEO.
Speaker 8: No, but like tattoos were the payamit of like the barliest of men, they were quite poor, Like you had to squint very hard to see that it was a panther clothing into your forearm.
Speaker 4: And that was literally I'm thinking of one fella. His name was Mark, who was lovely feller from Cove, but he used to call him three ton because he was like a three ton digger.
Speaker 3: Like this fella.
Speaker 4: He was built never played rugby and I was crying shame. He was built like an international prop you know what I mean, all tank. He was all tank, this guy.
Speaker 3: But he had.
Speaker 4: He had the quintessential dagger, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's like there was like six things you could get.
Speaker 4: There was Mam Dad and the knuckles, and there was the dagger, and then he got a panther one day going around his forearm. The panther was one and it was it was woeful, Like I mean, it was the worst kind of cartoon, you know what I mean, because the needles, the technology wasn't there, and like many things, if the competition isn't savage, then standards don't have to come up. Are just happy to get this. And of course every single lad I was always in the building sits. Every lad would come back from whether its fucking albofera Benadorm or whatever, and they'd get to late night Tattoo Studio, which is a brilliant idea, and they would invariably come back from a Spanish island as.
Speaker 3: A white Irish lad. It's that Maori tattoo.
Speaker 1: This this, this I.
Speaker 2: Want to talk about for for for for two fucking hours as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like trends, they come on trends, they go yeah, and what's fashionable now may not be fashionable again. It's a passing fad. And that's okay when it's a pair of jeans or a haircut or similar or same Tom, not when it's a permanent etching on your body. And for whatever reason, in the early two thousands, as we were coming through, every young lad decided that what they needed was tribal tattoos. Like and to be fair, at the time, it was like, holy shit, you mean like Blade has Fuck, yeah, I'll go a couple of them. Yeah, as Tom says, there, these are tribal tattoos.
Speaker 1: You're not in the tribe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Polynesian tattoos. Never have you even been to the south Sea Islands or Oceanica, and you know, you have never been anywhere, you know, I have no grasp of it. Have never you know, prior to prior to Moana, have probably never had an experience of it. Like, but lads were getting these tribal tattoos and it. There was companies too, like say, they were kind of I suppose they were associated with sponsoring UFC fighters in the early day, like affliction.
Speaker 3: Remember affliction? No, remember that?
Speaker 4: And it was all tribal shit alright, all tribal ship on their t shirts. And as we get that and they get like the yin and yang symbol fucking put in there as well, I think that's.
Speaker 1: What it was.
Speaker 2: It was like, you know, well, I don't want as I was growing up by seeing like my dad had like a you know, the swallow on your hand, yeah, or or or you know, the dagger and the heart and all that kind and I don't want any of that.
Speaker 1: I don't want.
Speaker 2: I don't want any of that. Okay, Well, how do you feel about swirls?
Speaker 1: Man? How do you feel about big sharp swirls?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Grand what is it?
Speaker 1: Is it a music?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: Not, kid, it's not.
Speaker 3: It's just like swirly bits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, fucking slap one on me.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure, let's good.
Speaker 4: I remember I can remember wanting one on my tie. Yeah, because I saw there was a Maori guy, like he was a New Zealand guy. He was playing for a club that I was fan of, and I remember thinking that is the cool. But of course he had one. He probably had it like the way they do those ones, I think is the sharpened boar tooth on the end of a little stick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they tattoo you in front of the whole village.
Speaker 2: He didn't get it on a stag weekend. He caught it, you know, as part of the ceremony, their version of the confirmation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Here's here's our Lord and Savior Christ and I lay down here while we hammered this shit int you for an hour or two.
Speaker 4: And you said ball snake in front of the whole village, and we get to do it. But this was my notion and put with no further thought into other than my sixteen year old bring thinking that's cool.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 4: By the time I got into my twenties, I was kind of going, oh, none of this is everything I was. I was able to recognize that what I thought was cool last year, I don't think it's cool now. So my fear was always what I think is cool Now. I don't think I'm gonna think it's cool now. Had I got a picture of say in nineteen ninety two Piggerio, Yes, I still think that's cool, just saying I'm not sure I wanted tattooed on me, but I still think it is cool.
Speaker 1: I was the same I was.
Speaker 2: I was always, you know, intrigued by it, but I could never I could never pick something that I could stand over for the rest of my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And that seems to be the recurring team.
Speaker 4: And I ask people what and then you see once somebody gets they say, oh, well, it's addictive. Once you get one, you've broken the seal now on your and then you just don't give a fuck yet, you don't give a fuck like you see. And it seems real trend with some guys now getting nostaltic style, you know, Californian sailor style.
Speaker 1: Sailor Jerry styles styles.
Speaker 4: You know they with the woman with the tits out and put it.
Speaker 1: I believe that's Sailor Jerry styles.
Speaker 3: Is it Sailor Jerry?
Speaker 1: Is that is correct? Me in there?
Speaker 2: But that's the classic Popeye tattoos. Yeah, yeah, it ways to go before we get to that, because we saw a few other trends tom While the fellows were off getting tribal tattoos left, right and center, the ladies it must be said, Well, you know, I'm from a small town in Ireland. There were no painted ladies in the town all that all that terrible much, but if there was, they might have like a dolphin. Yeah, I think dolphins were big noise for ladies in the mid nineties.
Speaker 3: I want to that someone butterflies. Butterflies, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I wanted someone take that, and I want to say it was Mark go on, correct me in the comments. I want to say mark oone had like a dolphin tattoo. And then every girl of that age that was a take that fan were like buying dolphin tattoo for me please as well. And then I'll get I'll get a butterfly, you got a butterfly, I'll get like.
Speaker 1: A musical note.
Speaker 4: But then that that that transpired then to something different, like you went into your Chinese symbols then as well on top of that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Chinese symbols. That was another big thing that came in.
Speaker 2: And again I want to say that, what is a Chinese symbol other than a tribal tattoo for a lady.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just a square couple of yeah. But and then as the tribal tattoos came across to women, then it was they moved around the hip or down it and onto the lower.
Speaker 2: Back became a settling point for for the tram step like, but who went nowhere else do I want this?
Speaker 4: I don't want it on my upper shoulder, I don't want it on my leg. Let's put on my the base my base of Let's put around the base of my spine a tribal tattoo.
Speaker 2: You know, or the crest of Liverpool FC, whatever, depending on where you were. But it just became like and again, I'd love to study the.
Speaker 1: Why it was.
Speaker 2: I guess it was like, well, you know, at the time we got to remember.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Nowadays, you can tattoo your face and walk into a job in the in the in the c suite and.
Speaker 1: Nobody gives a buck.
Speaker 2: But back in the back in the day, it was well, you know, don't have it showing, you know, because if you're working, if you're or a waitress and bar, you know, door to door salesman, whatever it might be. People see tattoos. They may not like that, and they may just not fucking do any business with you. Again, this is thirty years ago, folks.
Speaker 1: So they were like, all right, okay, so nothing on my arms, nothing on my hands.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't want it on a belly because you know, but yeah, but lower back, bang, tidy, beautiful.
Speaker 1: I do it there.
Speaker 3: I remember.
Speaker 4: I always thought what it was a sacred thing to get. If you were going to get one, it had to be serious and you had to be all of it in a You had to stand over this for you have to stand over this. You have to get a reputable person to do it, and all the rest of them. I'll never forget. He was a chap He was doing comedy at the time, and he asked me to pick him up from It was actually near where Chris Kent is from.
Speaker 3: I remember going, oh, no, I know the area, all right, yeah, I can pick you up there.
Speaker 4: And we were heading to some gig somewhere, let's say Waterford, and I pulled into a house in estate and he walks out the door of this house. He was like, all right, thanks man and walks out, and I was like, oh, this is not your house. It's like, oh no, I was just getting a tattoo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in some lad's house, in his bedroom.
Speaker 4: This guy had a tattoo gun and he got The guy had gotten in collegiate style. You know, American football numbers of eighty eight because that was the year he was born, and you know you might forget that.
Speaker 1: And also code for Hyle Hitler.
Speaker 3: Yeah is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: But he look explaining that one.
Speaker 3: No, he got eighty eight, not hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what's the eighth letter of the alphabet?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: Fuck?
Speaker 4: You have to go all right, Okay, I don't think he thought that far though, No, he didn't.
Speaker 2: And this this is why I'm never gonna touch to you, because I can never think far enough ahead that you gotta leaf, you gotta leaf your racist pastward?
Speaker 1: Wait no, what what?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But I think even then he goes, what do you think?
Speaker 4: And he showed me And because the immediately spot a mistake or the guy didn't on the piping on the outside he where he should have infilled, he left the blank, and where he left the blank he should in field, and oh ah fuck, but he brushed it off, and I'm like, Jesus Christ, that'd be like somebody taking a toe off me in the way, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and the wrong toe off as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, what the fuck?
Speaker 4: How are you just gonna sit there not seeding like? But he didn't, and I remember thinking, all right, because he's had a few already shite ones also and it is what it is now and that's what it is, you know. So and but it always struck me that it was like, well, are you going to be Not that I care that I'm judge, but you're gonna be judged incorrectly, do you know what I mean? So, say you got one when you're really into the spice giruns or something and you're like whatever, I'm going to get that, or Oasis and you want to get that, and now you don't really like him anymore. And the first thing somebody sees on your knee, as alwaysis you're like.
Speaker 7: Now or the Lost profits Tom Yeah yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, okay, yeah, you're like, oh ship, you can Gary glitter on your yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Fuck Jimmy, jim fixed it for me, yea.
Speaker 4: So so so, although I do have to tell you iself. Probably one of the greatest tattoos ever. A guy got a he got a cartoon of a sausage of bologney on his leg, but it was below his knee. I just went, all right, all day long, that's a joke forever, and I can totally get on.
Speaker 3: That's what I would get.
Speaker 4: I think I would get committed to the bit at that.
Speaker 3: But and it will.
Speaker 4: Never feel it's a great bit. It's a blowney below the knee. Yes, all day long. I'm like, all right, now, that's maybe possibly one.
Speaker 3: I could get.
Speaker 1: So commarre to me, tom right.
Speaker 2: So we've talked about when we were younger gentlemen, were some dubious trends that many ran a foul of, and there were young ladies got in on the act as well. They started to get a, you know, way more tattoos than they otherwise would have done. And at some stage in the last fifteen years or so, all of a sudden, it's like, hey, do you know the way tattoos are kind of and they're kind of kind of fucking not What if they were masterpieces? What if they were just like absolutely crisp crystal clear, you could actually tell exactly.
Speaker 1: What it was a print quality drawings.
Speaker 4: And I think we're probably I mean the notion of an artist doing and I suppose is nice ive. You know, you're into the creators other things. But if you want a super realistic, awesome thing, you can't tell me right now that there isn't an Ai tattoo machine somewhere in Japan that you can stick your fucking arm in, you know, and just does it because they're has to be that level of sophistication, because they've jumped so quick. Now, don't get me wrong, there's still lads like post Malone, who, as he was described brilliantly on a kil tony by a lad one time, because post Malone, you look like an unemployed crocodile hunter, which I thought was a fucking perfect description of him. He looks like a sack of ship who fell on some crayons, like terrible things drawn on his face. But he's get out of jail cardis he's got enough money to get really high end laser to get it off when he wants to know, should the day come.
Speaker 2: I do remember Frankie Boyle picking out some lad in the audience going like, look at you, and all the tattoos.
Speaker 1: You look like the notebook I keep beside the phone.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but Tom, I I cannot fathom what the hell happened in this And it couldn't be that we just got a bunch of fucking Latvians in in the mid in the mid two thousands, and they are all excellent tattoo artists.
Speaker 2: That can't be the case.
Speaker 3: I kind of is a bitcher.
Speaker 4: You tapped into something there which I noted before, is that as things get more worldwide, it be noting on somebody to like we would have been the first of our kind. I suppose in two thousand and one start going doing the J one and going to America. But then when you look into it, so many lads go to America, you know what I mean, go to now. They're going to Hawaii, They're going to Japan. They're going to these places where incredible artists are now tattooing people well, and like anything, our rise and Tide and all the rest of it. When standards come up, it's not acceptable now to be doing the panther down the arm anymore, you know, it's really fucking not. You've seen lads like you know, surely Mike Tyson you know, went off and got the fucking tribal like. He was the king of shit tattoos at the time, getting his face tone with a tribal tattoo like and not getting a lasered off because it's like, well it is, but it is, I suppose. But you're in a place now where And I'm fascinated by him. And I remember going to convention a couple of years ago because I was in Dublin and I had a pass because I knew one of the guys was tattooing in there, and I remember he wanted to. I never thought about tattoo artists like, I just thought you were born a brilliant artist.
Speaker 3: He wasn't.
Speaker 4: He had to train at drawing. Yeah, I never he thought about it like that before. I was like, Jesus, what an uphill fucking struggled to do. But the same guy's madgineto tattoos his face and nick and head tattoos and everything like that.
Speaker 3: So but it was it was amazing to see.
Speaker 4: They had this thing where they hung a curtain down the middle of a guy and he sat on a chair and the description was to draw an alternate body organ and two artists incredible artists on either side of the curtain got to draw what they tattooers man tattooed this guy in front of for reals both but both both people, You and I would probably let them without even thinking because they were that good. Like one guy did full on engine do you know what I mean? On one side the other guy did I think he did, or like he did much more realistic but incredible. The way they stitched and then they took away the curtain and stitched together both of them. It was incredible what they did. But you're looking going, Okay, that is a fucking masterpiece. Now fuck it too, at the same time because you look down and go.
Speaker 1: Yes, just I suppose it's all right.
Speaker 4: But I think, I think when it gets to a certain point for a lot of people, Like there's a guy playing rugby for Ireland called Mackanson and he is a hilariously funny cunt, and he he made a vow that if he got to pick picked on the World Cup team or whatever, he would within one of the six nations, he would get the coach's face tattooed on his arms. And the coach is notably hard man who doesn't have any tattoos, and he got a tattoo of a really it looks shite like and he sent it to him and apparently he left him. He left the scene with two blue ticks and didn't reply for a day and a half. And he's he's notably a scary human like. He says, it was the worst team I have. It was the worst decision of my life. But since then, I've got a load of ship tattoos since.
Speaker 3: And it's just throw it on the pile.
Speaker 4: But it's it's it fits his personality. He's a goofy, funny guess cunt, you know what I mean? Where he's got these and it's all I should look at. I got a fucking missile down my fucking forearm, and I've got a fucking fish over this one and picture of me coach on me arse like.
Speaker 2: So let me let me let me ask you a question for a finish to this bit, Tom, right, we started coming in by saying that neither of us had any tattoos. You know, the theory is good right now, And I'm sure that there's some listeners to the Tommentarry Show who actually might be tattoo artists that could give us a bit of a discount, because that's another thing. Tom, This shit ain't cheap.
Speaker 1: I know it's not cheap. Arms like it's anyway.
Speaker 2: So if you were going to get something tattooed on your good self there, buddy, what would it be?
Speaker 1: And I'll give you mine.
Speaker 4: I honestly, I think far the crack. And because it's been around for so long, I genuinely think I'll probably get the Tom and.
Speaker 3: Jerry show logo. No, there's no joke.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's been it's it's been in our lives for so long that we probably go. It would make sense to me to get it done because there's like what else I'm not going to get.
Speaker 3: A team because that's just like a no guy.
Speaker 4: He would be actually played for a monster and got drunk and got his full number, full size number tattooed on his back.
Speaker 3: He went on to be a very successful singer.
Speaker 4: Barry Murphy, he showed me one day, went Jesus And it was at the time had he got it done like collegiate style, like it normally is on the back of a jersey. But at the time they were going through a mid two thousand space where all the numbers on their jerseys were kind of done in spiky tribal style. Now looks like at one and three in red.
Speaker 3: It's not good. It's in it.
Speaker 1: It in't it?
Speaker 2: The Tom and Jerry logo, of course, there by the wonderful.
Speaker 4: Could he tattoo me? If I got rob a tattooing? Could he tattoo me?
Speaker 3: I wonder? I don't see why not give it a go?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you want to go for myself, Tom for a finish. And it's the kind of thing that I always seen people with it. And I'll be like, why would you need that? You know the way people would say tattooed their their kids birthdays and things like this on themselves, Like now, why would you need that?
Speaker 3: Face towards enemy? You get face towards enemy, and you're fuck.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I as I roll into my mid forties and the memory gets starting to get fucking the memory is full. Having my children's birthday is tattooed on me might not be the fucking worst thing I could have. And I'll tell you what else I put it on there? Throw on wedding anniversaries and me mom's birthday.
Speaker 1: Tom wilerrat why don't you tattoo tattoo.
Speaker 2: On me, like when the NCT is due, because if you ask me any of that ship rolling, Yeah, when's the transport?
Speaker 1: Fucking hang on?
Speaker 3: Do you know what we'll do? You know we'll do.
Speaker 4: I can start this rat we can get I create a link tree, right, a link tree, and basically it's just a landing page and you can put in a whole list of all those things you need linked to Google cannger, and we'll create a QR code that we can get tattooed somewhere on you and you can just put the phone on it whenever you need it and it'll have all that shit in there.
Speaker 2: And QR code is cool. That'd be a code is cool time. But like what happens is if my age and starts a saga wee but and all of a sudden, that QR code sends me to a fucking Lost Profits fan club website.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a It's never too late for us anyway, jar because the out lad who would be unquestionably holy man, not the tattoo on yourself.
Speaker 3: It's against God, but maybe it is. I don't know, but he.
Speaker 4: He must have been sixty five sixty seven, maybe decided gone to fuck for the crack and he got a tattoo on his forearm and it was the out one's name, because you know what, it was maybe time to make it a serious goal things.
Speaker 1: I suppose that's yeah here.
Speaker 4: I think that was her joke because she was like, oh yeh, Jesus Christ, what is he doing.
Speaker 3: She was like, you're too old for a mid like crisis.
Speaker 4: But I suppose in one way, it's nice to you're committed to the situation now at.
Speaker 1: Least yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: The only other funny thing that he could get in his arm there if you say, ah, fuck it go on, yeah, tattoo that on.
Speaker 3: I like that. Maybe a phrase, a phrase to use it like this.
Speaker 4: I saw a sign the other day, beautifully done sign, and it was in I thought it was in a movie or TV show and it was really nicely done and oak and everyone you're looking at it going, oh, that's a nice looking sign with a nice post and everything on it, and when you look closely at it said, this sign means absolutely nothing at all.
Speaker 1: And I like that.
Speaker 3: It's like, I'd like to get that keep walking.
Speaker 2: Well came here if ever we needed to hear from the Tom and Jerry Show audience about tattooings and their and their opinions and indeed the amount of them that they have let us know in the comments. You'll find us on Instagram. It is where you'll get us at Tom and Jerry Show, Tom with a T, Jerry with a G. You can follow us all on our various accounts there. I'm sure you'll find us not too far afield, but definitely we're doing our best to not just put up our Tom and Jerry content, but also just like fun ship for men.
Speaker 4: People you're on fire lately and anything anything I find that is quintessentially oz that's on brand that just makes us laugh. I sent it over to Jerry and he's on.
Speaker 1: Fire with you.
Speaker 3: Did you put up one yesterday?
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: It was texting, wife, have you used my good my good conditioner? A picture of this guy that looked if you imagine Kenny Kenny Rodgers air blow like air right into a pure fluff ball. And it was underneath the text us my balls we essentially brilliant stuff.
Speaker 2: With one just just landed in from young William Ryan there sent us in a picture of a man who passed away today, too late for us to mention him. On the show, Bill Oddie passed away and yeah, there you go, and there's Bill Oddie as a young man. William comments that he looks like Tom on his confirmation day. I'm going to tweet that one, Ryan, thank you very much for that.
Speaker 1: What else we want is find.
Speaker 4: People to do as I look at the lads, go hit follow on whatever platform you're on. And if you can't hit the reminder belt because it pings straight into your phone or device, or maybe you'll just listen to us on the car every single Thursday morning. If you can't give us a rating, two fair folks, everybody you're rating every single week and keeping it at five stars.
Speaker 3: It's tremendous and makes the more visible to everybody else.
Speaker 4: I want to hear what tattoos you've gotten, what tattoos you're thinking again, and what shit tattoos you've gotten. You can pose them in the comments, probably under Spotify is fine, but we'll definitely see them on Instagram. Also, did you know who like?
Speaker 3: I mean opinions on that man? What a legend.
Speaker 4: But maybe we could leave it up if some of the guests they send us on another legend too.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't mind seeing legends that they've come across.
Speaker 4: There's a few form of kind of what the fucks that we've come across.
Speaker 2: All any week we can take an error out of the research for this Sho'll just say, look at this got sent in.
Speaker 1: We'll take that.
Speaker 3: I like it because you know what it is.
Speaker 4: It's already going to the source of the people that are kind of into the things that we come out with. So if you have a legend that would make fit a good this led, send it along where you at the game at the weekend.
Speaker 3: What are your feelings on it? Are you from Kerry?
Speaker 4: Are you thinking fuck Mayo? And if you are this whole show, let us let us know other than that you're I have a as we both know, a go to get into a fucking fisticufs with. So other than that, I'm gonna have to head on out of the range Mayo for some.
Speaker 10: Help.
Speaker 4: Then