Speaker 1: All right, let's get a dry time.
Speaker 2: Friday afternoon, sixteen minutes past the hour of two o'clock. We're a little late today because Scott Mitchell told me about a dream he had where he was naked. So we're starting to show off like that. Thank you, Scott, filling in for Sean today, misbehave during cross talk. Happy Friday to you. Congratulations, you made it. It is time for the weekend. You did the things all week. You showed up, drug yourself out of bed, got everything done, and now you made it to the weekend. Take a big, old deep breath. Happy Friday to you. It's time for a weekend edition of the radio show. It's good to have you with us. My name is Spence check ITTs, hosting the program today, Porter Larson behind the glass, producing, booking and doing all the things making sure we behave and stay on air. We got a lot to get to on the show today. The Utah Jazz are back in action tonight. If you're into unwatchable basketball, they're going to take on the Indiana Pacers at five o'clock Mountain Time. Pacers are playing for things that matter. They might play hard. The Jazz, of course, are intent on losing as much as the possibly can to draft Cooper Flag, who today was named the AP Player of the Year. He's only the fourth freshman in the history of that award too, to win it at that age. So we'll do some Final Four. We'll get you ready for what should be two really good games tomorrow.
Speaker 1: College basketball.
Speaker 2: We'll get to some of that on the program today, the women's Final Four as well, Don Staley, Gino ari Ema Butt night of NBA basketball last night, really good game in Los Angeles between the Lakers and the Warriors, and of course the NBA rolls on tonight. Only a handful of games down the stretch. Come it's time to clinch the playoff seeds and such and then play for some postseason awards. So we'll get to some of that on the program today. Utah men's basketball has a second piece of the puzzle dialed in. It is a transfer. We'll tell you who that is. After Keanu daz withdrew his name from the transfer portal and decided to come back to play for aj half next year, the Utah men's basketball program locked in a transfer today and we'll tell you about them. Put up some really, really good numbers a year ago at Fairleigh Dickinson. We'll get into that on the show RSL Back in Action tomorrow.
Speaker 1: They welcome in the.
Speaker 2: LA Galaxy for a two to thirty kick an early kick out of America First Field in Sandy, Utah spring football roles on. There's gonna be a scrimmage tomorrow that we're actually allowed to attend, which is nice. So we'll see what sort of information we can gather at Utah football scrimmage tomorrow. Of course we'll bring that to you coming up on the shows next week. Major League Baseball is underway. We've got a little golf to talk about as well. It's the Valero Texas Open. It's the final tune up before the Masters and Augusta coming up next weekend. We are just a few weeks away from the NFL Draft. Shod Or Sanders Travis Hunter on display today at Colorado's Pro Day. Discuss this a little bit. Yesterday Caleb Loher tried out for the Dallas Cowboy, So we'll see where the Utes and the Cougars end up going drafted undrafted free agency in such NFL draft. Right around the corner, our first guest right out of the Gates the goat himself, Adam Klitch from KU TV.
Speaker 1: I was on TV with ad him this week.
Speaker 2: Usually do the TV hits with Dave Fox, but Dave is taking another one of his extensive vacations. As Dave has been a media member in this market for forty years without ever working a day in his life, So shout out to Dave Fox. But I was on TV with Adam this week. So we're gonna bring Adam in and we're gonna just talk about the local sports landscape. It's our weekly conversation with Zach Harper. We'll get a little Valero Texas open primer and do some Augusta with Paul pug Meyer, some Masters with Pugs today, Thor Nystrom, friend of the show, stops by for some NFL Draft and then one of our celebrity reporters, Dave mcminnimon, we'll stop by later on on the show. So Adam, Miklich, Zach Harper, Paul Pugmyer, Thorne Eistrom, Dave mcminnimon, Me Spence check, Ats, all of you the great listeners, Happy Friday, and that guy Porter Larson Scott Mitchell. Right out of the Gates Hits me with a dream that ended up with him naked on a scale.
Speaker 1: I don't really know what to say about that.
Speaker 2: Do you have any reoccurring dreams you'd like to share with our audience.
Speaker 3: I don't really have any reoccurring dreams. But to maybe make it less uncomfortable, I think most people are dreaming naked unless you're sleeping in a bunch of clothes. Aren't you with naked in most of your dreams.
Speaker 2: I don't want to talk about this anymore. I didn't think you were going to take this direction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm always naked when I'm dreaming.
Speaker 2: So whenever you have a dream and you yourself you're in the dream, you're not wearing any clothes.
Speaker 4: No, I'll be wearing clothes in the dream I'm sleeping.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: I wasn't saying Scott was naked while he was dreaming. He had a dream about himself being naked while he was competing in the Biggest Loser. Okay, okay, I have no problem with anybody sleepy nude. I just don't need to hear about your dreams where you end up naked on a scale. It just ruins my friday.
Speaker 3: Well, that became a reality thing. I know he wasn't like fully naked on the scale on whatever channel that was, But once Biggest Loser came around, he was in his underwear on a scale on syndicated television.
Speaker 4: So hey, fun times.
Speaker 2: You know what, Let's move on, why because it's time for the opening tip man. We've got business to take care of.
Speaker 4: It seems like the story of the day.
Speaker 2: We'll get back to Scott Mitchell being naked on a scale later, but Adam Miklitch is going to join us before we get to Adam. Courteus you of our good friends at Prize Picks. On a Friday afternoon, it is I apologize for the start of the show. It's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check Its on Utah's number one Sports talk. Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: Shout out to our good friends at Prize Picks. Prize Picks is the best place to get real money sports action, with over ten million members and billions of dollars in awarded winnings. Now springtime is here. In baseball season, it's officially underway. Don't miss your chance to add your favorite players from the Diamond in your prize picks lineup. Whether it's strikeouts, RBI's first inning runs, take your pick of more or less for a shot to win up to one thousand times your cash. Today. On Prize Picks, you can mix and match player projections from different sports. Combine your favorite baseball players with players from basketball, hockey, e sports, and much much more. Download that prize picks up today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred at checkout. They're gonna hook you up with fifty bucks when you play your first.
Speaker 1: Five dollars bet.
Speaker 2: You don't even have to win that bet to get the fifty So, as I say every day, just go get their free money and then give it a try. Okay, So download the prize picks at today. Use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars. Lineup Prize Picks run your game all season long. All right, So we've got a busy show, a lot to do of Utah Jazz are in action tonight, a lot of NBA basketball will get to a lot of on a Final four conversation coming up a little bit, but some breaking news. About an hour ago or so, Alex Jensen and the University of Utah men's basketball program have dialed in their second piece of the puzzle. After Kiano Dawes decided to withdraw his name from the transfer portal, come back and play for AJ and his staff. Terrence Brown, a sophomore transfer from Fairleigh Dickinson University, has committed to play for AJ coach Chilius, Wes will Cox, and whoever else the staff is the As the story goes, Terrence Brown knows Ralphael Chilius. Remember when coach chill that's his nickname. I still need a cool nickname because you know, it seems like everybody hasn't accept me. But after the hiring of coach Chilius, a lot of people talked about the ties that he has around the country to AAU basketball, high school basketball, college basketball, to pros. He's been on all four levels essentially and is known as a high level recruiter. So Terrence Brown familiar with Ralphael chilias and apparently that's the relationship it landed Terrence here in Salt Lake to play for the University of Utah. Now Terrence Brown as a sophomore transfer. According to ON three, he is a four star transfer portal rating athlete. His portal Composite ranking is ninety one point three to three, that is out of one hundred. So he's played a couple of years at FDU. His freshman year last season, played twenty one minutes, about twenty two minutes a night. He averaged eight points, averaged about three rebounds to assists. He is a wing about six three sixty four one seventy five and he had a great year this last year. So played about thirty five minutes a night. Shot forty five percent from the floor, thirty percent from three. You want to see that up a little bit, seventy six percent from the line. But how do you like twenty one points, six rebounds, three assists for Fairleigh Dickinson University as Tarrence Brown is now going to be a University of Utah.
Speaker 1: You so there you go. You can follow Terrence.
Speaker 2: Looks like his Twitter or ex or whatever the hell Elon's calling of these days at Terrence T. Brown, if you want to give him a nice welcome as he joins the University of Utah as Alex's second piece of the puzzle. We talked about this yesterday on Let's see Now that would have been yesterday. Yesterday was the start of the dead period in college basketball recruiting. So what that means is you cannot have any athletes on campus.
Speaker 1: There are no in person visits. It only lasts a week.
Speaker 2: It's just like, Okay, let's get the final four done, let's get the season behind us, and then you're allowed to kind of recalibrate and do the face to face stuff and have players on campus. So according to Deshaun London, he reported yesterday that Terrence Brown had a zoom call with Alex Jensen coach Chilius.
Speaker 1: My guess is was on that call as well.
Speaker 2: So again, twenty one point six boards, three assists put up some great numbers for fairly Dickinson University.
Speaker 1: And you know, before you roll your eyes.
Speaker 2: As far as FDU, there are a ton of players, including Johnny Broom who plays for Auburn, who played at small schools a year ago and are playing for the best schools in the country right now. Okay, so this is a model that has worked for a lot of different teams fairly. Dickinson University, of course, is not a P four school, and it's not a scenario where you know you're gonna be blown away by the competition that he played against. But this is a model. You know, you go find a player that put up some really good numbers at a smaller school, and then you do your calculus and your calculation about whether or not you think that can translate, and then you give him an opportunity to play a little P four Big twelve action. So we'll get to know this player a little bit more. Six' three looks like he was more of like a lead kind of combo guard FOR. Fdu but, again can really. Score probably want to see that three point shooting percentage up a little bit from thirty percent as he continues to grow, up and only. Sophomore he'll be a junior here playing FOR aj coming up coming up next. Year so as we've been talking, about we have been waiting for a word about exactly how this team is going to. Look it's impossible to analyze really anything about AJ's first year in The big. Twelve without knowing who his players are going to. Be so we Have kiana daz out of The Transfer portal committed to play for The utes next. Year Now Terrence, brown a very highly thought of transfer out Of Fairleigh Dickinson university with a composite rating of ninety one point three to three out of one hundred and a four Star Transfer portal. Rating he has landed here In Salt Lake It he'll play For alex coming up next. Year Terrence brown a six' to three junior transfer. Rising junior he'll be a junior. Next year, six three one seventy five As, From. Minneapolis minnesota played his first two years of college Basketball At Fairley. Dickens university shout Out To Fairleigh, Dickinson Madison, new Jersey The. NORTHEAST conference i twenty point per game score as. A sawft he has transferred To the University of utah to Play For. Alex jensen so piece number two of the puzzle is now, in place, All Right adam miklich. The Goat, ALTHOUGH adam i. Am disappointed i'm looking across from myself in. THE studio i don't see across from. ME man i thought we were doing this. In Person. WHAT'RE gibbs i.
Speaker 5: Am, so. SORRY man i just kind of cut up doing some marines and stuff TODAY and i got to be into the station here at three o'clock on, the NOSE so i didn't WANT to i didn't want to cut it too. Close today sorry, about. That man there's nothing like doing, radio studio especially. With.
Speaker 2: You no, All good?
Speaker 1: All Good Because dave fox is on another.
Speaker 2: LENGTHY vacation i just need to, ask you How has dave had a forty year career without ever working? A day just out, of Curiosity because i'm. Honestly impressed he's like a mentor. Of mine forty years in this business without ever working. A, day.
Speaker 5: Well that's, the, Goal right and there's two schools. That side. You know there's the old cliche find something you love doing every day of the rest of your life and never work in another day of the rest of. Your life I'm calling bs on that from the top of. Mountains fence it's just not that easy for. Our generation let's put it. This way when it Comes To, Dave fox he's got a lot of quality people that he surrounds, himself With and i'd like TO think i fit into. That umbrella so when you've got a nice umbrella like that, going life life can be, pretty.
Speaker 1: Smooth, well said and. We tease we love, our ged we love Our.
Speaker 2: Guy dave but Of course adam meglitch, the Goat, AND adam i refer to you as the goat, because somehow, some way regardless of how dire the circumstance, or situation you hit us with positivity and anecdotes that kind of bring a smile to people's faces even when stories. ARE hard i wonder where that. COMES from I wish i was more. Like that where where where's that approach?
Speaker 5: Come from oh, that's seriously that's just about one of the nicest things anybody said to me in a really. Long time in all, SIN charity i have really really. Good Parents and i'm one of those, guys too where, YOU know i don't have. Children myself so when you talk with somebody and you get to, know somebody there's something that they bring up quite, a, Bit right and so anybody who has kids they love talking about. Their kids they've got pictures of their kids on their cell phone. OR pets i don't have a, Pet too SO when i come up on CONVERSATION and i talk about good things that are going on in, my life it somehow always comes back to my mom, and dad who are my. Best friends my dad IS what i like to refer to As a Hall of fame caliber track and cross. Country coach going, back home so, my house, growing up sitting down at the dinner table together was a. Big thing athletics were a huge part of. Our existence. YOU know i was taught to try and break a sweat every day and just put your best. Foot forward and. SO again i was raised in a really really good household with two really, loving PARENTS and I guess i just try and spread the love around and pay it FORWARD whenever, i Can because i'm a pretty.
Speaker 2: Lucky guy i'm so a pretty. Big dude for people that don't know This, about adam are you? Six three it feels like you're about. Six three i'm.
Speaker 5: Six four i'd like to be about. Two ten i'm a little bit heavier. Than that and one of the funniest things, About, me SPENCE is i have a size seventeen Shoe and i've worn to size seventeen SHOES since i was sixteen. Years old it's one of the weirdest things about me and as a kid who was sixteen and nineteen, ninety four so this is Before the internet and. Before everything my life, was very, very weird trying to get shoes and trying to fit in as a normal member of society with feet that were way too big for my.
Speaker 2: Own good we are the very. SAME age i don't KNOW that i knew that. UNTIL now i was also sixteen in nineteen, ninety FOUR because i bring it like were you?
Speaker 1: AN athlete i don't even know this, About you like what did you play?
Speaker 7: Growing up SO when i.
Speaker 5: Was growing up like any, other kid the first SPORT that i got into, was SOCCER and i was actually really good, at it was a really. Good midfielder and then if you look up my Hometown the Wikipedia, Page, snahomish washington one of the claims to fame is that there was a semi pro soccer team that rolled through there by the Name Of, snohomich United And sahamich united started As a premier league team for thirteen fourteen fifteen year olds and it was a traveling CREW and i was actually on the First Ever snahamis. United team so soccer was a huge part of. MY life i loved playing it THE reason i was a pretty. Good, MIDFIELDER again, I say i Have a Hall of fame caliber track and cross country coach for. A father i was a distance runner. GROWING up i ran my first competitive race in about. First grade hung on my dad's coattails and just running was a huge part of, our life AND so i had a ton. Of INSURANCE so i made a mid midfielder because you never had to pull me from. A game and, Then again i'm a little bit big to be a. Distance runner SO once i started growing up and growing into what would be my, adult body a guy who's five eleven sixty size seventeen shoe doesn't make a lot of sense to be running competitively in three. Mile races but IT'S something i. Stuck with but THEN when i, quit BASKETBALL when i quit basketball in the, EIGHTH grade i dip myself into a pool and that is what became.
Speaker 8: My CALLING so I was i Was An all.
Speaker 5: American breaststroker it's the homis high school and By, all american it doesn't MEAN that, i was, you know an absolute. WORLD beater i just swam a good enough time to get. That CONSIDERATION but i was. A BREASTROKER and i swam the, individual MEDLEY and i really wanted to be a. COLLEGE athlete i wanted to be a swimmer. In college the only PROBLEM was i just wasn't. Good ENOUGH so i had a huge. WORK ethic i lived at. THE pool i was, a lifeguard, swim teacher AND if i wasn't in the classroom or, AT home i was at, the POOL and i poured my heart and soul. Into THEM and i absolutely love. That stuff athletics was, a huge huge part of my life and a huge part of THE reason i got into THE business i.
Speaker 2: Got into so let's transition. Over there for, our audience it isn't Familiar because adam's not a very consistent guest. Of ours So like i've always found this interesting for guys to kind of do what YOU and, i do and we have, different jobs we're in the. Same ecosystem you have guys like us that played sports, growing up and then you HAVE, and I honestly i'm not judging one way or. The other but, FOR instance i an eagle who is a good friend of, the show and as A guy i've known my entire LIFE like i and will, tell you do not throw a football, AT me i don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: With it but he wanted to be a broadcaster when he was.
Speaker 2: Like, Eight right so you have a lot of play by, play guys and most of the play by play guys in our market breaking news there are. Not athletes then you have guys that tried to play sports.
Speaker 7: LIKE you.
Speaker 2: I want i wanted to be the starting point guard For. THE knicks i mean that was. My thing and, YOU know i PLAYED until i was about NINETEEN when i tried to play against pros AND then, I, realized okay if you want to be, around this you got to find something else. To do so what kind of lit the fire for you to follow? This path and how did you land in?
Speaker 5: Our market that's a, great question and it's actually SOMETHING that i really liked talking about because you're, right there there are many many different kinds of, you know professional sports casters. Walking around some of the smartest ones when it comes to the analytics and the x's and o's and maybe memorizing stats and things like that are guys that weren't. Athletes themselves they just fell in love with the sport and probably there's a certain sense of living vicariously through it now when it comes to me and the one SPORT that i, left out you know when talking about you know what made me TICK when i was, growing UP all i wanted to DO when i was maybe ten through sixteen was. Played baseball that was another SPORT that i played and unfortunately had to give up at one POINT because i just wasn't. Good Enough But Holy, TOLEDO spence i was the biggest, baseball fan baseball. CARD collector i grew up about forty forty Minutes, from SEATTLE and i would DO everything i could talk my dad and to take Me to. Mariners games and it wasn't just, you know to go sit in the know in our seats and watch. The game it was to go down and try and meet the players and take a handful of baseball cards and trying to get autographs and stuff. Like that and then it was a really really. STRANGE twist i was actually playing On a pony state championship TEAM when i was fourteen, years OLD and i was still clinging to this IDEA that i could work hard enough and probably grew up to be a professional. Baseball player one DAY and i was just kind of crossing that threshold of being a little more realistic as a. HUMAN being i feel like once you get into, high school he kind of have to start facing. Certain realities and at, one POINT and i think my DAD and i had just. Wrapped up, he was, you know he was running marathons at, the time and so he would run for, an hour hour and a half at our local track AND then i would throw a baseball against the wall while he, did that AND then i would probably run, for maybe, you know the last ten minutes with him something. Like That so i'm going on and ON like i, always do about playing baseball AND maybe i can be a switch hitter and this and that and the. Other thing and for, whatever reason my dad had finally had it and he, Just, said adam you're, my SON and i, love you but you are never going to be a professional. Baseball player and it just broke. My HEART and i, trust me there's a happy ending to. This story AND so i was so kind of irritated, By IT like i walked into the house and had tears in my eyes and didn't pick a fight with my dad or anything. LIKE that i just kind of had to let it sit. And digest and then it was probably a couple of, DAYS later i thought, to myself you, know what, he's right and good for him for actually saying something. Like THAT but i didn't want to let the dream die necessarily like. Right there SO what i DID is i thought, to myself WHAT can? I do WHAT can i possibly do with myself to MAKE sure i stay as close to the arena? As possible HOW can i figure out a way to go to baseball games for the rest of? My Life and i've got a famous uncle by the Name Of rick lukens who's a Sportscaster, and spokane and by him being, on television he was with THE local abc In m spokane for. Thirty years with him being, on television it was kind of a REALITY that i might be able to do THIS if i go to school and pay attention and set goals and try and run. Him DOWN so i decided then instead of being a, baseball player probably the next best thing would be to be a sportscaster and get to interview people At The king Dome and seattle and lo, AND behold I think i'm twenty two years old Working At Fox Sports north Class, in seattle and wasn't one hundred percent SURE that i wanted to go to the career path that this is RIGHT after i Graduated from wazoo and it was the first, time that, you know a reporter took me on a story with THEM and i got to help out. With IT and i called my mom at her office at home from the field At safegu FIELD and i, just, Said, Hey mom i'm going to be. A sportscaster and, she, said well, good honey go. For it and then the rest is kind. Of, history sorry that was a, long story but that's that's the truth, Right.
Speaker 2: There ADAM as i say it all, MY guests i have four hours of space.
Speaker 1: To fill you can take forty five minutes if.
Speaker 2: You'd like so you've you've been here for fifteen, sixteen years it, feels.
Speaker 5: Better, right yeah it'll be fifteen Years.
Speaker 7: In.
Speaker 2: July okay so here's THE question i wanted to get to as we move into kind of where we find ourselvesselves. Here locally, You know i've got a kind of unique paradigm when it comes to this COMMUNITY because i was born here and then moved and grew, up elsewhere and then came back and went to, college here so it's kind of home and then kind of. Isn't home it's been home essentially for twenty five, straight years so and it's. GOOD living i love it here. For sure IT'S why i choose to. Live HERE and i am pretty STUNNED when i take a step back and consider how much we have grown as a sporting market. IN community i would SAY since i was in school At the University of utah in the. LATE nineties, i mean it's. Pretty stunning, of course we have additional properties Like ray Al saw lake and the, hockey club but we also have evolved into this really undeniable college, football market and WE'RE an, nba market even though our team right now is on serious. About winning how have you seen our market change and grow in your fifteen.
Speaker 5: Years, here yeah that's a really. Good question and again it's another thing that the keepshin coming back here after year because, you know not ONLY do i have some, STABILITY here i mean, you know the fact that there's still multiple radio stations that that cover sports in this market is a real indicator of how strong it.
Speaker 2: Is here the, Multiple, STATIONS adam I didn't i thought there was only, one MAN and, i, apologize well and, you.
Speaker 5: Know ALL four tv stations still, do sports and sports is the first thing to go when when times get. Up again, YOU know i always mentioned Them, from SEATTLE and, i Am and seattle's a good, sports town but it's it's. Fair weather it's not like it is here with with. THE diehards, i mean People in seattle have lots of other things that they'd, rather do rather, go do than watch. SPORTING events i grew up with a Love for UTAH because i Was a, sonics fan And the sonics And the jazz had great rivalries over. The years my brother used To Impersonate jeff hornisack in the backyard whenever he'd be chewed up a. Three ball and so. It's funny it took me moving HERE because i had this this Remembrance Of Salt. Lake city and, you know, of course my my my career path took me in A southeast sidaho and then a long waist. FROM home i Was, In champagne ILLINOIS before i got my, job here and SO when i, MOVED here i was hit with the Realization that utah had become a. Football town and that has everything to do with the success Of the University of utah and a lot to do with what, you know happens just down the Road in. Provo too they're absolutely sports, praised here and then, you know the jazz are are kind of the main attraction and they make the whole world. Go AROUND but i think one of the coolest things is the act that the hockey club has taken off the way that, it has and that's the biggest Change that. I'VE noticed i think people here are absolutely, sports crazed and the pulse of that has only gone Up since i've. Been here but with the, hockey club it's like. ANYTHING else i like to call it an experiment when it's just, taking off and when it's just, GETTING legs i no longer referred to it as. An experiment and the first whole season isn't. Done yet this town has absolutely wrapped itself around. That club the atmospheres are so different and so rocking and so. Much FUN and I Think salt lake has not changed as a sports Market since i've, been here but it just continues and continues to. Impress me and then let's be. HONEST too, i mean we meet a lot of people who are like minded in the industry from, different places and they all just kind of sit back and marvel the fact that we've got, a really really good thing. GOING here i don't think the place, has changed but the fact that it has stayed the same and gotten a little bit better rather than trend in the. Opposite direction that's what really really knocks my, socks off because so many other places sports aren't gaining, in popularity they're actually waning. In popularity does that? Make?
Speaker 2: Sense yeah and you know it's wild to consider If the millers are able to successfully bring Us Major. LEAGUE baseball, i mean, for you as a kid in growing Up, in seattle can you imagine Covering a mariner's game three miles from where you're working right now? AT them.
Speaker 5: I couldn't, and honestly, you know the stadium plans kind of stick To The rose, park area which IS where i. LIVE now, i, mean honestly If A Major league baseball stadium was built within five miles OF where i have my home, RIGHT now i don't KNOW what I that i'd be able to, contain myself and as a professional in this market and somebody. WHO relies, i mean we cover sports for, a living, and honestly sometimes it can be a. BIT much, i mean we have so much to cover as, it is and then, don't forget, you know for someone like me who goes out and, shoots video the turn story is on a. DAILY basis i get really enveloped in the spring high school. SPORTS season, i mean you're gonna see me out at state championship, soccer games softball and, baseball games things. Like that so there's already a ton. To cover so it'd be a really really good problem to have to add one more professional. Franchise here and, YET again, i mean if, that happens it's, Gonna. Work spence nothing doesn't Work In Salt. Lake city these are sports crazed humans here and it's a really wonderful place.
Speaker 2: To be so let's move over a couple questions about the here, and now And then i'll set you LOOSE because i know you got to get, to IT and i reference your ability or just your choice or whatever it is to wax positive regardless of what's. Going on And, the jazz for the first time in fifty plus years, of basketball just lost their, sixtieth game and they've just lost their sixty first and they're probably going to lose the rest of. The way so this is the deal, For. ME adam, i mean, You know i'm a child of. This organization nobody wants me to, see them, you know but nobody wants to see them win a championship MORE than.
Speaker 1: I do and they're doing the.
Speaker 2: Right thing it just sucks like with the, you, know right like with the ecosystem OF the nba and the way that the league, is structured and, you know essentially how you kind of have to go about this because of the way THAT the nba is, you know put together to bring talent to certain markets based us to, certain mechanisms NAMELY The.
Speaker 1: NBA draft i get.
Speaker 2: THE approach i think they should have done this two years Ago When victor wemanamo.
Speaker 1: Was available but it is what.
Speaker 2: It is what has been the biggest challenge in covering a team that's unseerious? About winning and what are some of the positive things that you've noticed?
Speaker 7: This year and just to kind.
Speaker 5: Of elaborate a little bit more for everybody, at home how significant this season. HAS been i think the inaugural Season of jazz basketball that Was In new orleans and what was it, seventy three Seventy four, i'm, closer, right yeah, huh yep twenty three wins total in the first, season EVER and i believe that's the all time fewest wins For a jazz team. Single season they are going to eclipse that if everything, goes well and as weird as that is, to sound they're Going to they're gonna set a franchise record for the fewest wins in a. Single season and it's. By design so here it's been a it's kind of been an evolution thing. FOR me i wasn't ready to and AND AGAIN i i have because, you know we're we're we on kJ ass KUTV on kjas and we Are the. Jazz station i'm, You KNOW i'm i have an obligation to cover, this team and it's a wonderful obligation. To have i've been doing live Shots at jazz games, this year probably more so than any, time before and it's because we want to be there and we want to we want to represent our product as best. We can and it took me a while to kind of evolve out of the Mode, of, okay well let's talk about. The positives they almost got the, win tonight and then finally, to, saying Okay the jazz, last tonight and that's a that's that's a. Beautiful thing it's just. Absolutely weird but once it kind of became, You Know danny ames hasn't had a press, for instance given us the exact blueprints of this, plan whatsoever but it's it's implied that this is what they want, to do if it makes Sense what i'm saying here. Right now so just looking at the development of the youngsters has has been Something that i've been trying to do THE best. I can i've we had You On talking Jazz on tuesday night and YOU and i were just going on and on about how much we Like washing isaiah call. Your play so it has been kind of a work, in progress and the hardest thing for me to do was kind of allow myself to accept the fact that losing is by design when it comes to. This team AND once i let that kind, of go it just became a little bit easier to focus on the. Young talent and, you know the, other, thing too is the. Locker room these guys kind of know who, they are AND so i kept waiting for it to get to a point where it would be really difficult to go in there and talk to. Those players but they've been terrific. This season they've made it easy to kind of look at the positive side of things and to know that this is what the team needs to do to growth in the. Right direction those kids in that locker room have made it real easy to do, my JOB and I guess i'm really appreciative, of that and So As will. Hardy too like he's a great, sound bite he's, very thoughtful and he's he's also really easy to. Talk to so, once you, ONCE you, i guess learn to accept the fact that losing. Is winning this season in a very, unique way it kind of became easier and easier as it. Went along that make.
Speaker 2: Any sense, It does, it does and it takes some time. To, understand like if you're working in an ecosystem that, incentivizes losing you're going to lean into it because the incentive structure says this is the right thing. To do so it's kind of like a don't hate, the player hate the, Game THING like i just don't like THAT the nba incentivizes What the jazz, are doing BUT the, nba does So the jazz have to. Do it BUT before i set you loose, at him we are the home Of, the utes and we had a rough football season and another rough, basketball SEASON but i think that there's a lot of optimism for next year on. Both sides we'll finish with the, football program but before we, Do That alex jensen has been hired as a seventeenth coach and men's basketball History H keato dawes withdrew from the. Transfer portal he's. Coming Back And terrence brown has been added as a Transfer From Fairleigh. Dickinson university and when you look at the, composite rankings he is one of the top guards on the. Transfer market so we have two pieces. In place but you, You, know ajay what would you say to you fans about what they should should expect now that he's.
Speaker 7: IN charge I just I.
Speaker 5: LOVE alex i think he's a, great guy. You know, you know it's been one of my favorite things. About him we work in a really, hectic profession, you know especially you know again covering post game for. A living, i mean, you know at least once or twice, A week i go to a, sporting event win. OR lose i go do, post games scrap it, all together and then, you know just get to a, live shot, you know running to get there and make it. On time it's a it's. A hecticronment alex has this, laid, back cool calm demeanor about him everywhere. He GOES and i got To know alex when he was a course working for Working For quinn snyder And The utah jazz and he was never not sitting down Courtside With rudy gobert with an iPad just looking through video and he's, just, calm impatient and a. WELCOMING person i think it's going to be really really interesting to see him developing college level TALENT because i think he's cut out. FOR it i think there's like a nurturing Side. TO alex i think there's a thoughtfulness that is perfect for coaching kids who are coming right out of high school and growing them into. A program i just think he's going to create a. Family Environment and i'm not saying that wasn't Present With. CRAIG smith i was A Huge craig smith fan and it broke my heart when he got. Let Go but alex is going to bring the family Aspect of utah basketball Back. TO utah i think that's a big part of the reason they want him for. This job and then you know you've kind of prefaceed this part of you know our segment today talking about the transfer portal and how competitive it. IS there i think the biggest thing that a coach can bring in the table for a program that wants to be competitives these days is to find a way to keep kids at. Your school don't have kids three quarters of the way through the season when they're not perfect and nothing's going. Absolutely perfect get them from putting their heads in the gutter and thinking. About leaving find a way to make a program that kids don't want. To leave and That's why i'm so Excited for alex to. COME here i think he's going to be great.
Speaker 2: At that, all right, last thing, You know utah football last year was installed as the favorite to Win The big twelve by our Friends In. Las vegas the Media pick utadh to Win the big twelve, local national, you KNOW and I wonder adam this year if you pull up the way To early big. Twelve list as far as what people think is gonna happen, Next year utah for the most part is, like five six. Or seven they're, mid, table, Okay okay so you remove the pressure of everybody saying you're going to Win The. Big twelve the cfp's expanded, to twelve so you're going to. That too what gives you the most hope that year two In the big twelve can be a lot Better for utah football than year. One, WAS.
Speaker 5: Okay i hope he's not listening, right NOW because i don't mean it the way. It sounds but the Fact that utah has undeniably moved On From, CAM rising i think is the first step in the. Right direction, You know cam his last two seasons was never a, sure thing and there were lots of ups and downs that were just there and always it already is as long as he. Was Around what's cam? Gonna Do how's cam going? To be it looked pretty good through a couple of games this, last season AND then i don't know what he was trying to pull in the Game. Against baylor i've got a ton of respect for. THIS kid i think he's one of, the best not, only quarterbacks but one of the best leaders That the utah football has had Since since i've. Been here and he's got a tremendous upside and he's going to have a. Right future but the fact that they're moving on from that era and moving into, SOMETHING else i think is the first step in the. Right direction and, THEN yeah i think there's a little juice up. There Too With. JASON beck i hadn't had a chance to meet HIM until i was up at practice On a friday a couple of, weeks ago and we got to talk to a lot of the coordinators and he just looks bright at and bushy tailed and ready to make mistakes and fix those mistakes and get his. Hands dirty and the, other, thing too is he's playing for you like to call me. The goat the Goat Is. KYLE whittingham, i mean that's the biggest arrow in the quiver That the University of utah Has is they've they've got one of the deans of college football running, their program and guys just seemed to love to play. For HIM and I think i think as Long As kyle whittingham, IS there I think utah's is it's going to be a force to.
Speaker 2: Be, recover adam you're. The man appreciate. The time it was fun being on television with you. This week have a, great, weekend buddy will. Chat, soon okay thanks.
Speaker 5: E anything appreciate you, All Right.
Speaker 2: Adam kolich Kutvs, on twitter which is just his Name At adam miklich is where you.
Speaker 1: Find him brought to you TODAY By Ifa.
Speaker 2: Country. Stores weather it's about to turn and it'll probably be more or less warm, moving forward so it's time to start thinking about. YOUR Lawn Ifa country stores has everything you need to care for, your lawn no matter it's size. Or shape their four plus long care program can promote a healthy green lawn for you. This summer they're the same products used at many local, sports fields, golf courses and. City parks you can consult the IFA's team of experts for your yard. This season visit them ONLINE at ifa Dot, co oper stop by one of The eighteen utah. STORES Today Ifa country stores helping to grow the things you. Love porter you should know that the moon today is? Waxing crescent oh?
Speaker 7: Is it are?
Speaker 2: You optimizing do you have an? ABUNDANCE mindset i always have that are?
Speaker 3: You Optimizing but i'm not necessarily in tune the moon at.
Speaker 4: THE moment i have to look.
Speaker 9: Into.
Speaker 2: That well, right now it's a good time to optimize and have an abundance mindset as The Moon zach harper currently as of today is. Waxing crescent are you prepared? For tonight you don't have to.
Speaker 7: TELL me i looked at the moon. LAST night i saw that it was about to, wax CRESCENT so.
Speaker 2: I knew the natural follow up is are? You optimizing do you have an? ABUNDANCE mindset i always have an.
Speaker 7: ABUNDANCE mindset i wake up with an. ABUNDANCE mindset i make SURE that i speak it. INTO existence i go to bed with an. ABUNDANCE mindset, I manifest i, vision BOARD and i do.
Speaker 2: It all but are you practicing feeling the feeling even though the thing hasn't? Happened Yet, because zach what is meant for you will never be kept.
Speaker 7: From, you well not, only THAT but i.
Speaker 2: Journal it, oh perfect then you know what you put. Into practice i've got Nothing at you are on, your way. Young man i'm proud.
Speaker 7: Of you thank you. Very much i've done a lot of practice.
Speaker 2: With this one more? Follow up are you dating with inten? Right now you Have, to, yeah yeah, that's new. THAT'S new i didn't know that was the thing is how long how long has this been?
Speaker 1: Going on you need to help.
Speaker 2: Me out i'm new on.
Speaker 7: The, scene oh dating, with intention THAT'S about i, would say like dating in with intention and and being in a provider slash protector role has been about a six to seven.
Speaker 2: Month thing, ah okay we'll keep your phone on you Because as i'm going through, THIS process i have a lot.
Speaker 7: Of, questions, okay, yeah yeah it's, Oh, MAN yeah I got i got you with any of.
Speaker 2: That, stuff okay, ALL right I do i need? Some guidance this, is wild? All Right isaiah collier's optimizing? What transition no? Big deal? All right So the jazz have sent out some media packets to folks that. Are voters are you? A voter to you?
Speaker 7: A voter?
Speaker 2: Aren't? You, yeah okay so my guess is you receive one, of these and, You, know zach it's the only postseason Award the jazz have any chance outside of.
Speaker 1: Maybe the number One over, i'll pick but we'll get there in.
Speaker 2: The moment, and initially like, you, hear, like Hey is isaiah call? Your Broke john stockton's, assist, record, well Okay like john played eighteen minutes a night his. Rookie year he Played Behind, ricky green he had, Five STARTS so i think it's four hundred and. Seventy assists, or whatever but ultimately for a season that is void in bright spots for. The team when you look at the rookie class, This year isaam might have a case to be made for, first team maybe, second team definitely.
Speaker 1: All rookie do you think he has.
Speaker 7: A chance i don't think he has any kind of case for first team. Like that that seems not possible to ME because i think right off, the rip You've, got Castle, wells Resa Che edie sar And Then khalil wear's in there two, you KNOW like i think those six have a better case than. He does but then once you get past those second team is definitely in. A MIX like i don't know that there is a strong case outside of those six that would bump him definitely out of out of all rookie. Second team and he's he's closed really well and even though the team has been, A MESS like, i mean he had a really good game the, Other night like he's he's. Playing better, you know the shot making, Is whatever he's making decent decisions, Out there the assists have. Been there, you know the scoring is kind of in. And out BUT like i think you're seeing it's it's tough, to tell, BUT like i feel like you're seeing some, progress, There, right like he's definitely better than he was two.
Speaker 1: Months, ago yeah he's thirty two from three Since He all.
Speaker 2: Star, breaking look that's, not awesome but it's better than like twenty two, twenty one which is where he was at the start, the year, you, Know.
Speaker 7: Right YEAH like i don't know that the shot, looks good but it doesn't. LOOK atrocious i think his shot decisions. Are better, and AGAIN like, I mean i feel like we're saying the same things that, we, did well maybe not the same things we Did With, kante george but. Similar things. You know, with that it was the shot looks good he's taking, you know he creates, good shots why aren't they? Going in and that's what we Saw at baylor With, With collier it's it's a bit of a different conversation in that he was a top prospect coming out of. HIGH school i think THE whole usc program and experience set. Him back and now, he's trying, you know he And the jazz are trying to correct whatever that year, you know kind of messed up for him and getting him in real, basketball development in a real program in, you know a real abundance mindset when it comes to there you go and trying, to correct, you know whatever stunt that that year had to his growth AND and i do think it took him a little while to get into. GOOD habits i think he's exhibiting, good habits a good decision making whether the shots are there. Or not you're at least seeing a much different player from just a professionalism standpoint on the court than what we saw in the first half of. The season, AND that, i mean if you're gonna take anything away from this mess of the season For, the jazz that's.
Speaker 2: A positive so you Bring Up, kyante george who's clearly not in. The vortex so let's. Let's move, i'm sorry THAT'S just i. Can't help this.
Speaker 7: IS great i would do this every radio hit we do for the rest of. The year.
Speaker 2: WE can, I mean i just, You know kyante clearly is not manifesting like everything is always working out. For me all you have to do is repeat in. The mirror, but look we haven't Talked about kyante in, A while, and anecdotally somebody down with the team about three weeks ago said, to, me like you are Higher on keyante than they are behind, the Scenes and i'm not that High. On kyante he just listens to. The show i've just tried to take this positive. Spin wherever since he was brought off, the bench maybe he's settled into the ROLE that i think he always was going to settle into no, matter what even when he, was starting even when he was the starting.
Speaker 1: League guard way too many.
Speaker 2: Bad decisions he might be among the worst defensive players in all of. Pro basketball i'm getting the sense, Down, there zach that they don't really view him as part of, their future which is wild to think about because last year he was like the only young player that. Played well so let's get an up To Date zach harper take on the player that clearly is not in the vortex, Right Now. Chiante, george yeah it.
Speaker 7: Feels a little bit like when people, talk, like oh they have like a, young child and then a new baby comes into, the mix and now that maybe gets all the yep, the attention Right Like isaiah collier is the, new Baby And kante george has kind of been. PUSHED aside i, feel, Like look i'm not Watching every jazz game front, to BACK but i feel LIKE when i, check in like some of the games he has off, The bench, i'm like he was. Pretty good now the bar is, very, Low right like the bar for him is, Very low AND so i don't Know if i'm, Judged THAT like i gotta, Be, HONEST like i don't Know if i'm judging that based on LIKE what i expect out of A good nba player OR what i expect out of him and the jazz and so it's probably what it's probably. THE latter i think there is a good backup guard within. HIS future i do think the. Talent's there the decision making has not been there in his in his time in the league, so far and like he has been in the league a while to still be making some of. These mistakes, but also, you know part, of it this is gonna be a. Weird Comparison but i've, been Taught like i've got a bunch of friends Who are, blazers fans and they keep like they've been complaining for three years Now About chauncey billups as, a COACH and i, Keep, SAYING look i have no Idea If chauncey billups as a. GOOD coach i do know he's never been given a good team because even when he, took over like those teams were injured, right away and so he was tanking and not given like an Actual Old damian lillard's season and not, you know and then finally, you know the trade away. And everything and he's been giving teams that are THAT are i guess in teardown years and then in, rebuilding years AND so i have no idea if he can COACH like i have. No idea we saw a good stretch With the blazers this year in the second half and it started, Looking PROMISING but i don't know if he's a. Good Coach With, kiante George the jazz have been such a mess in these tear down and. Rebuilding years maybe if you put him around actual, good players it would elevate. His game he wouldn't have to make so. Many decisions it would, you know kind kind of everything would rise up and kind of steady things. For him so maybe that is an environment he needs to. Be in but man like it just. It do it's not as promising as he wanted. To be and and when you get into the conversation, of, like okay he could be a, backup guard there's a lot of backup guard options IN.
Speaker 2: The, nba yeah and there were moments that he showed after he kind of was the only young player to get starts and minutes, last, Year, like okay maybe we got, something here, but yeah to your Point, about isaiah and you can talk about this with most of their Young. Player zach which is Why whenever, I'm asked i'm always asked the. Same QUESTION if i go on other shows or, do podcasts Or even i'm talking to, jazz fans they always say who will be here when they're? Good AGAIN and, i honestly at this point it's PROBABLY and i don't know when that's. Gonna Be and marketing is in his, Late twenties walker's about to be in his. Mid twenties like part of me wants to answer, the, question like there's a chance that none of these players are here When the jazz are actually, good AGAIN because i have so many question marks about so many of them Outside of Marketing. And kessler but because they're not close to being, GOOD again i can't even Say that Lowry and walker will be here When the jazz are actually GOOD because i don't know when that's.
Speaker 7: Gonna, Be YEAH like I guess i don't Look at, lowry like if they're calling this now like the, actual REBUILD then I assume, lowry is, you know this, summer, Available RIGHT like i like the whole reason that with the timing of the extension and everything was so that he wouldn't be traded. This YEAR but i would assume teams are going to be interested in him this summer and you've got to do your due diligence to see what you can get for him and if, that helps, you know bring in assets or young players Or Whatever danny Age And justin zanek are. Looking for AND so i wouldn't expect him to be here. Long term if that's, the case then, to me, you know as Nice, As collier collier has, Looked recently like, To Me walker kessler is the only guy who has a definite skill set FOR the nba, right now and so he's the only ONE that i, would, say, like yeah he'll probably be here, long TERM but, I, Don't yeah i'm, With, YOU like, I don't i don't know who. That is like maybe if this kid gets healthy and and can show what he can do defensively on, the court maybe that's That's, that's taylor, you KNOW like. I don't i, don't KNOW like, I don't i don't know that they have, those guys which is kind of tough when you've been even drafting a bunch, of dudes, you know in the first round of the last couple.
Speaker 2: Of years what is your favorite slash most accurate player Comp For, Cooper flag i've, you know as he has kind of played his way because a lot of people probably heard the name and then hadn't watched him. Play much and then the tournament rolls around and everybody watches, the tournament so now you cannot log onto the intrawebs about getting another piece and a think piece About Who cooper flag could be IN.
Speaker 1: The nba and sometimes the comp game.
Speaker 2: Can be a little bit frustrating because it puts on realistic expectations in the minds. Of fans but this is a market that badly is hoping this pain tolerance, pays Off And cooper flag is a.
Speaker 1: Jazz man of all the comps, You've, heard zach what lands the best?
Speaker 7: For, YOU well i saw someone passed one along to me the other day that they that they SAW which i thought, was insane Which Was, lamar odom which He like lamar odom could handle. The ball cooper flag dribbles like it's, The FOOTBALL like i don't see that.
Speaker 5: At all but.
Speaker 7: He can't like he's a good pass not Like lamar. Otem was but he. Can pass, TO me, I like i'm Sticking With. Sean marion, to me he like he like he.
Speaker 5: Can shoot Better Than.
Speaker 7: Sean maryon he can pass a little. Bit better but in terms of athlete, defensive impact getting up and down, the floor the way he scores on, the move it reminds me a Lot Of, sean marion like With.
Speaker 2: The, sons okay, all right You know i've Heard the. KAUHAI stuff i feel like that's probably, Best case so let me follow up here just because it's of interest in. The Market sean marion was really really good at, his, peak okay but he wasn't like generationally special cornerstone. Building blocks so do you do you believe That if cooper stays healthy turn he just turned eighteen three, months ago if he stays healthy and is, fully developed you believe he can maybe have a better Career Than sean marion and actually be a building block for.
Speaker 7: A team it's all going to depend on whether or not he becomes someone who can create off. The dribble he just can't. RIGHT now i don't understand what people are seeing when he tries. To, create, like yeah it can work at the college level because like no one like you like watch him in the previous game that they played and pay attention to, this weekend whether They beat houston. Or not and he's the great defensive test for him with just the bodies they can throw, at him the defense they can throw, at him it'll be a great test for how he creates shots because he's not strong at handling. The ball so all this stuff that he that he tries to do, to create none of that's going to work AT the. Nba level it's all going to be set up off of his athleticism in him on, the move which. Is fine he's eighteen, Years old like he's. Super young he reclassified so he, you know he's younger than a prospect would. Normally be all of this, is fine and he's got plenty of time. To develop but in terms of people thinking of him as like this guy who's going to be an, offensive weapon he, can't dribble like he just he can't create a SHOT against nba level defenders consistently within the flow of. The game and if you can't, DO that i just don't Know how i'm supposed to believe that you are a franchise level. Offensive player it doesn't mean he can't. GET there i just haven't seen. It yet there are times he tries to go left where he tries to go against against like even decent, you, know pressure and he's kind of loose with the ball and he doesn't quite, get there and so that then he can't utilize his, you know his athleticism or. His quickness when he is able to get into space and you, use that these college players can't keep up.
Speaker 5: With him that's when.
Speaker 7: He's dominant but when he gets a little bit of physicality and a little bit of pressure and he doesn't he's not able to, use that then you see that, loose handle that inability to create that's when it's a struggle. For him and that's what it's going to be AT the nba level until he can hone. That craft that might take, a year, two years. Five years, you know hopefully it's on the on the shorter side of that and he is able to become that player right away because he does have so many other. Special skills he'll be a good catch and. Shoot guy he'll be a good guy who can make decisions off the short roll and moving the ball with the. Extra pass he's going to be an excellent. Elite defender all those things, are great but in terms, of scoring he's going to be limited until he can handle.
Speaker 2: The ball haberstrow this week on the show Dropped The. Kevin garnett what do you think?
Speaker 9: Of that?
Speaker 7: That's, Insane that like it was insane when they did It With. Anthony davis, All right and is he Better Than anthony davis at?
Speaker 2: The, Prospect, no no there are very few prospects that were better than ad coming out. OF college a lot, of, people don't, you know don't. Remember that, all right let's move off the jazz for, a moment and, you know it's just time to say that it is okay seeing, everybody else and it has been for quite. Some Time, golden state what is it twenty and Four With. Jimmy butler, you know THEY beat la, last night, you know and, everybody played which is always nice because it gives you an idea of exactly what sort of hand we've. Been dealt and EVERY time i lock in On a warriors Game and draymond Looks, like draymond blowing up sets like, He was and Of course steph Is, still steph and, You know jimmy's always a. Wild card but it's probably time to, say that, You Know golden state needs to be taking a little more seriously than they have been prior to where we're. At currently is?
Speaker 5: THAT fair i.
Speaker 7: THINK so, I mean i think they're right on the. Cuff there, you know last night it, looked better but there's still plenty of games where they don't generate a lot of, easy offense, you know like there's it's still it's still like a lot of tough buckets. To, create Now sometimes steph can make. That Easy sometimes jimmy can make. That easy and there are times where they run a couple of plays where, you know they'll they'll run a, dribble handoff or they'll run a Play where draymond's got, the ball, you know kind of on the elbow Extended and jimmy's running a pick Play, with Steph and jimmy slips the screen because all that attention is going to step and he's got a, you know a wide open laft wide, open dunk and it's just like. THAT'S unguardable i, DON'T know i don't know where you put your attention. On that and so they can they can get some. Easy buckets but for the, MOST part i still think some of their offense is a slog now that can be held by kuminga stepping up and getting into a flow or, you know Last night pachemski shot out of. His mind he's not a shooter, like that so that was a big bonus. For Them If buddy healed starts shooting like he's supposed to, be shooting that helps. A lot but their offense still isn't as smooth as it needs, to be or it has been in their previous. Championship years, but man their defense. Is elite their defense is so Good with jimmy in, the mix AND and i think they're right on the cusp of. BEING there, i mean if you other Than, ok see you want me to like put them up against Like a denver Or the lakers, Or anybody i'll put them ahead of everybody else In. The west it's just we got to SEE what okac looks like in, the playoffs, you know.
Speaker 2: For sure let me ask you about two teams because every week we do this thing, where okay we all agree that okay see.
Speaker 1: Is, historic Okay so Lakers. Get luca do we?
Speaker 7: Like them? Of?
Speaker 2: Course, Yo kitches. Yo Kitch. Denver's denver but are you buying anything about the recent run from Either the Clippers or? Kawhi's BACK and, I know i know you always say that clips are going. To clip are you buying anything about the recent run and play Of either clippers Or.
Speaker 7: THE timberwolves, i Mean the clippers, look, great RIGHT but i mean we can't do this, EVERY year, i know, you, know like and nobody wants to Believe in kawhi being back more. THAN me, i mean he is. My FAVORITE LIKE i I love KAWHI and i want him to be HEALTHY and i want to see another playoff run because HE'S just, i mean he is a great show when when. He's HEALTHY but i just can't believe, in it like it's even and even if he is healthy as good as, THEY'VE been i don't KNOW that i want to believe in this Version Of james harden stepping up and Being the umber. TWO guy I just i think there's a little bit. Missing there maybe That's, thorm powell Maybe, that's zubox who's, been incredible but there's just there's something. Missing there but But the clippers. ARE dangerous i wouldn't want to play them in the. First Round, THE timberwolves i. Don't know it's still a Lot Of. Julius randall, you know it's a Lot Of julius randall. At Times and aunt can go, super nova and he can he can make up for a lot.
Speaker 5: Of that we.
Speaker 7: SAW that, i mean he was having a terrible Game against denver that night and then he just went crazy in the fourth quarter and picked. Them up and he can, do that like he's, you know with the way he fixed, his shot he is he is still great and capable of, taking over but he still makes some pretty rough decisions. At Times uh and and it kind of comes, down, to like is McDaniel's going to? Make Shots Is Nikael alexander walker gonna? MAKE shots i don't even though they, SHOOT well i never fully trust that they're that, you know that shot looks good, to me AND and I just i Don't Trust. Julius randall but but they do seem to have some advantages over for really. GOOD teams i mean they They. Own denver over the last, six year they've been them six, straight games dating back to the playoffs with game six.
Speaker 9: And seven and that's.
Speaker 7: Another team with The way ant goes and the way their, SIZE is i wouldn't, trust THEM but i also wouldn't want to.
Speaker 2: Play them are you hesitant to Annoying the clippers Because of kali's seeming inability to balance the masculine and the. Feminine, energy no.
Speaker 9: It's Mostly That james harden sucks in.
Speaker 1: The, playoffs okay, all, right yeah just kicking.
Speaker 2: The tires have, an, idea guy, All, right ZACH before i say? YOU lose i Mean, watching yoka it's a sixty point, triple doubles so dumb and, so, LIKE, yeah mvp where are?
Speaker 1: You at where are you at?
Speaker 7: RIGHT now i just it's two. Historic, seasons yep, It is, AND like I don't i hate that everyone's dismissing the historic Season that. Shae's having everyone wants to, talk, like, well Yeah but yokas is. Doing it, i'm, like yeah but no one's Done what, shave's, Done, right like it's different values of what you want to, talk about And what yokic is doing. Is historic but So, is shay AND so i don't want to. Ignore that, to me it's even enough that at least, right NOW and i got another week to flip flop, on this but at least, RIGHT now i think the team Dominance. Of, Okay, SEE like i think the winning is the is the tiebreaker. For Me like i'm gonna keep reevaluating, and SEE but i think the winning has, to matter, YOU know i. Just do and when you look at the Impact that jokic has on and off the Floor, with denver it is. Obviously severe go look at the numbers Of when shay is on Versus when shay. Is off it is kind of a like it's closer to a coin flip than you would think when he's off, the floor and it is historically dominant when he's on.
Speaker 2: The, floor, Yeah now i'm.
Speaker 1: With YOU if i had, A vote i'd give It.
Speaker 2: To Shay but i'm not mad at anybody gives It to jokic BECAUSE he's i.
Speaker 7: Don't fault you for Voting. FOR jokic I just I think I'm leaning shay.
Speaker 2: Right, Now now i'm, with you, All right i'm going to put this out into the universe. This, weekend zach you will find your. Vibrational match best of luck with that and.
Speaker 7: Good chatting also, to you vibrational, match abundance all. That stuff we're.
Speaker 2: The worst. Thanks man having, good weekend, All Right zach harper From The athletic brought to you today by our friends At The Salt. Lake Bees Salt Lake Bees. Avenue hive join us for. Opening week it's Coming out april eighth through, the thirteenth as we kick off our inaugural season at the Ballpark At America first Square In. South jordan every game will feature exciting giveaways So that i'll, miss out experience the Thrill of america's favorite pastime and join us the season for, professional baseball family friendly entertainment and. Unforgettable memories Giveaways INCLUDE pennant's, t shirts beanies and more on every night of the first. Home stand single game tickets are on. Sale now visit SLBs dot com for. More information, this Season the bees are going to feature fireworks and drone nights throughout, the year Brunch every sunday. Home game They're doing Barking the park for, nine games which means you can bring your dog to. The game we're going to Do A Superman night cowboy themed weekend. As well the Ballpark At America first squares designed for year. Long use, coming soon a Brand new bees team store will be open. All year the sites can have a megaplex theater that, includes, movies, bowling arcade and dining restaurants in a. Concert Stage Salt lake bees are dedicated to providing a premium experience with wallet friendly. Ticket pricing the privately finance stadium has a capacity of eight thousand fans and offers, open, lawn premium club and field level. Seating options there's going to be a ticket and a seat for every type. Of fan phantom enities include locally, inspired concessions a grab and go market using, smart technology alcohol free, family zones spectacular views Of The, wassatch mountains improve transportation and access to, the ballpark, more parking lower costs, for parking a new track stop at center Field For America, first square, increased walkability churiated game day experience for Fans At America, first square comfortable seats on expansive, video board premium, seating options and fans seated behind home plate in the new suites are going to be closer to the batter than. The picture visit SLBs dot com to get your tickets and come see. The Bees john moran has been fined seventy five thousand dollars for another gun gesture made towards the bench. Last night as we, talked about it's like the one thing If You're john moran to just not do go double bird on the. OTHER bench, i mean take your, clothes off don't. Do that but the one thing he can't do he continues, to do so he's. Been fined there's one more tune Up. Before augusta it Is The Valero, Texas open so let's talk some. Golf now Paul Pug meyer, Friday, Afternoon Paul, happy. Friday sir how are?
Speaker 7: You?
Speaker 9: Good good how about? You stance, i'm well just?
Speaker 1: Real quick do you want to hang out with me? Next weekend let's go?
Speaker 2: Hang out what do? You do you have any plans next weekend or what are?
Speaker 5: YOU doing.
Speaker 9: I might be NEAR a tv checking out In.
Speaker 2: THE masters a little birdie tells me you might be. On site is this is?
Speaker 9: This, True well i'll be on site this weekend for The drive chip. And pet i'm on my Way between atlanta To. An augusta as, we Speak And drive Chip and putt has A big utah showing. This weekend plus there is an amazing vortex of History of utah history going On at Augusta, this Sunday and i'm here. For that But then i've got to get back to real Life for masters, Week Itself so i'm just here for.
Speaker 2: This weekend, Oh, okay well tell tell us about the what did you, call It The drive Chip? And putt is that what you're going? To, see.
Speaker 9: Yes Exactly drive Chip and putt is a junior Program That augusta national And the masters does in collaboration WITH the Pj, OF America pj tour AND. The usga it is analogous to the, old punt pass and kick if you. Remember that it's a skills test for kids where they get points for how far they hit a drive on, a grid how close, they chip and then how close they put. It in there's local qualifiers forty or fifty of them hild around. The country they go to eleven, regional qualifiers and then from those, eleven regions there's a representative in each of eight groups for boys and girls to Come To Augusta national sunday prior To the masters and have a national Playoff the. National finals there are three Kids from utah who Made the national finals This, Weekend Loganwild, blake brown and then Really Interesting nicholas miller made the Finals from Utah And nicholas miller is a. Big story he is the Grandson Of. Johnny miller he Was named he was named by His father Todd For jack Nicholas And. Little nicholas he's twelve. Years old he qualified For The drive Ship and putt finals on the fiftieth anniversary of the nineteen Seventy, five masters The greatest masters, ever Played Where jack Nicholas Beat johnny miller by one shot to win His. Fifth masters and on the fiftieth anniversary of that, Epic Tournament johnny, miller's grandson Who bears, jack's name will play In The drive Chip and Putt At. Augusta national.
Speaker 2: It's Incredible johnny miller's grandson is also Named After. JACK nicholas i want to give this kid a hug, and like if he doesn't end up being an, Awesome, GOLFER paul, i mean that's a little bit of pressure on this.
Speaker 1: Young, fella yeah he is an.
Speaker 9: Awesome golfer he's GOT, great dna he's got great got great naming. IN him, i mean his Name Is, nicholas miller and he is living up. To it he's He's A Utah Golf Association Age group player Of, the year and he is a. Terrific kid he is a. Terrific player and this is A name i think we're going to hear, more of and it's just going to get cooler as it.
Speaker 2: Goes, Along Geez johnny miller's grandson Named After Jack. NICHOLAS goodness i know you.
Speaker 9: Just want you just want to stand next to him and let some of it bleed off.
Speaker 2: ON you i want to give him a hug and say you're going to, be okay no. Matter what such a lot. Of pressure, All, right well we'll look at To the masters in. A moment but, of COURSE as i reference one more, tune off which Is The valero texas open DOWN To Tpc, san Antonio their. Oaks COURSE and i always like to have you let us know the details about what, We're watching so let's start with. The track tell US About Tpc.
Speaker 10: San antonio it's one of THE several tpc tracks that are owned BY. The Pj torre this one was developed BY The pga tour as a tournament. Host facility it shares the characteristics, that many, not all but, Certainly most, i'll say OF the tpc. Courses have it's got a stadium component, To it it's easy for the fans to get around and. To watch there are some target elements, to it which is another characteristic OF the. Tpc courses they tend to be gettable when the conditions, are right and the conditions actually are a little tough this week Down In, san antonio and you've, got good strong players at the top of, the leaderboard you've got a major.
Speaker 9: Winner In, brian harmon but the course isn't proving very gettable as you as you go deeper into. The field this tournament's place on the calendar means that a lot of people on the tour are already paying Attention to augusta and they could skip. Over it so this tournament does a really. Interesting thing they put together a package that is very attractive to the families of, The players so a lot of the tour players will go to this tournament play in this tournament because it's so family friendly and there's so much going on that's good for. The, Kids well dad's ound knocking.
Speaker 2: It around so as, Of Now brian harmon is your leader by, Two Over, Keith Mitchell, Matt Wallace sam ryder four. Strokes back Let's See patrick canley at six, hundred parr not A ton? Keggan's there Where is tony's at? Four under he had a really good, Round yesterday he's kind of. Struggling TODAY so i ask you the same thing every time we talk about one of, these tournaments of the golfers that are, in contention and what you know about them in. The course who do you think has the? Best chance give us a few names you think will be in the Mix, on sunday and then what do you make The way tony's handled himself?
Speaker 7: So, far.
Speaker 9: Well the conversation this week has to Stay With. Brian harmon he's finished his round and the wind tends to pick up in the Afternoon In, san antonio and so he's already got a number on the board and people are going to have to go out and chase him down with later tea times that's a. Harder lift so the conversation Starts With, brian harmon a, proven winner very gutsy player who plays, really smart and so the target ASPECTS of Tpc san antonio are going to play to. HIS advantage.
Speaker 2: I do like The Name.
Speaker 9: Keith mitchell he's, been trending he's been playing, well lately and recent form is always one of the, strongest indicators And so mitchell is one that you have to pay attention to. As well and then, You know i'm always Cheering. For tony didn't have his, best today but he's still within striking distance and very definitely making, the weekend and he could easily put together a couple of good days and be right.
Speaker 2: In It max holma is about to miss. Another, cut paul and we got news. EARLIER today i Think It's. Joe griner max is split with, His Caddy joe GRINER and i guess they're buddies.
Speaker 1: From childhood but we keep talking.
Speaker 2: About this max is one of my favorite players to watch when, he's right and he has. Just been it's a shocking season for one of the best young players that we have in. Our country so what based off of your knowledge of how these, Things work what's what's the hope once you get rid of a caddy you've had so much, Success with and have you seen caddy changes make stark differences for players.
Speaker 9: Of talent, That, Is, max well you Gotta Fire billy martin once you're twice right.
Speaker 7: Or?
Speaker 1: Seven, times, yeah really.
Speaker 9: Whatever, it was now this is this is always a part of. The game players look for a change when things aren't, going well and, Holy cow max. IS scraping i watched him a little bit on the broadcast yesterday and he didn't look right in. Any way he didn't look like he was, walking right he didn't look comfortable on. The green he just didn't look like he. Was right and so it doesn't surprise me that he's gonna try to shake things, up somehow even if it means firing your high. SCHOOL buddy i don't know one word about any of the. DYNAMICS there i just know, in general players will shake things up when they, need to and that's very frequently what? Will happen, But boy max doesn't look good.
Speaker 2: Right, now no he's gonna miss. Another cut do You Know martin hall they're on the. Golf channel?
Speaker 9: Uh huh have you ever?
Speaker 2: MET him i have not.
Speaker 9: To know i'd, love To though.
Speaker 2: I'VE become i don't know what. IT is i think he's just like a. Funny dude so, At, night Paul as i've told, You before i'm not an. Awesome sleeper i'm working, on it BUT if i can't, Fall asleep i'll fire up A Little, martin hall little golf pass On The, Golf channel i'll watch one of his. Comprehensive lessons but THE reason i bring it up is, LAST night i don't KNOW that i had watched the second part Of The tiger woods documentary that's based Off The.
Speaker 1: Tiger, woods book AND so i learned.
Speaker 2: Last night AND if i, Knew this i'd forgotten the split that HAPPENED because i asked You about max's Caddy between Tiger and Stevie, After tiger tiger was hurt and he was not going to play IN The. Us, open So as TeV tells, the STORY and i Haven't heard tiger's side, of this He asked tiger for permission to Caddy For, adam scott His, fellow auzye and then after He Committed, Adam scott tiger decided to play IN The, us open and then he Fired.
Speaker 1: Fired stevie is that how that? Went down with your memory?
Speaker 7: Of?
Speaker 9: That, well, YEAH absolutely, I remember and that's one of. The versions that's one of the stories. YOU hear i have no reason to, question it but we have to acknowledge that there aren't all versions out there in. The public one Thing that i've seen when these things go on is that there's very frequently a little more to the story than we have the ability. To know and in a Situation like stevie Had, with tiger they were a team for some of the greatest golf ever to be, played ever and that led to a prominence and a Celebrity for steve that caddies simply never. Had had there had been notable, caddies before certainly some of the Caddies, at Augusta Certainly angelo i'm blanking on his last Name, With Nicholas andy Martinez, with, Miller There bruce Edwards. With watson there had been. Prominent Caddies but stevie achieved something that never had been. Done BEFORE and i always looked at that and Thought that tiger was not in love with the fact that his caddy was getting ATTENTION to i don't KNOW that i could be, very wrong but that's what it looked like. To me and so when the opportunity, PRESENTED itself I think tiger went ahead and made.
Speaker 2: A move, All, right paul before we'll end With some. Augusta thoughts but before we, DO that i know this isn't your, favorite topic but the fact of the, matter is like the live golf ratings continue to. Be horrific it's like forty, thousand people which puts it among the lowest rated shows in all of. Cable television and the story today is THAT The pga tour has rejected That The Public investment fund their recent offer to invest one point five billion into whatever that. Partnership IS and i just want your thoughts on this continued drama and, then ultimately when the.
Speaker 1: Dust settles what is your hope about how this?
Speaker 9: Partnership, Looks, Oh mercy i'm not even sure what to hope, for now other than to just SAY that i want so much to see the greatest players play against each other in a true tournament of seventy two holes with a Cut With john rahm was playing last year in the, live Finals and ron was. Playing well he had like thirty thirty five thousand eyeballs around the world. On him and this is one of the greatest players of, our time and just to be that invisible is so sad and just so disappointing that because more people like orders, of magnitude more people need to see this great, player play and we need to see him play against other. Great players and if there's one Thing that live has proven itself to be over its, four years so that it's, nearly invisible just they players go there and just aren't hurt from. Very, much again one possible exception Would Be day chambeau because of his social, media work particularly, on YouTube but that's Not. On live That's Something dave schambau has. DONE himself i have thought from the beginning that this would follow the series of events that held true with every other sport that's been in this situation or something, like it and ultimately that is A MERGER, NBA Aba nflabl back in the days of the early, major leagues always it ends up being. A merger i hope that there's something that can come. OF that i hope that it brings the greatest players back together to play against each other in a seventy two hole tournament with.
Speaker 2: A Cat The High Fruit toast adventures Of An annoying orange have more Viewers than. Live golf it's a it's a cartoon about an orange that teaches. Kids lessons i'm looking this up in. Real time so do you think one more? Thing here do you think this is going to be a scenario where live carries on IN The pga tour carries on and players have the ability to play whatever they would like to play in kind of LIKE The Dp world, tour whatever AND The. Pga tour do you anticipate something?
Speaker 7: Like that.
Speaker 9: The players themselves want to play against, The best these Top players i'm talking about Certainly, Wrong keepka Deve, s Chambeau, CAM smith. Dj getting he's over the crest of the hill in, his career but he still packs a lot. Of firepower they want to play against, the best and the best just want to play. AGAINST them i think that that pressure from the very best players in the world will ultimately bring. Them together what it looks like is very hard to discern because of the great, black hole unknowable variable of what is the business model from piff this bottomless pit. Of money what do they want to get out?
Speaker 5: Of it and?
Speaker 9: Nobody knows and so that means that you can't apply regular modes of analysis and regular business since to what's. Going on but ONE thing i do know for sure is that the greatest players want to play with and against the.
Speaker 2: Greatest players speaking of the, greatest players the majority, of them if not close to all, of them will Be At augusta national. Next week let's Start with tony's chances based off of your knowledge as a man who Has played augusta and knows the Game of, tony five How does tony's game match up with this course and what are the Chances that i'll, just Say, come sunday he's got something to say.
Speaker 7: About this he very.
Speaker 9: Well could tony's game matches this course, exceptionally well and his record here. Proves it he's got a couple of top. Ten finishes remember twenty Nineteen when tiger won his fifth who was in the final Group of tiger that Would be? Tony, final, yeah. Yeah exactly And so tony has done very Well. At augusta tony authored one of the greatest sports comeback performances ever in. Any sport this is up there in the Conversation With kerry scruggs doing the vault In the olympics on a. Broken leg tony went out after obliterating his ankle in the running down the hill in the par Three, on wednesday he went out and HE shot us sixty five and then made the cut and then finished in the top ten on one foot In the masters. That week it was unbelievable what he was able. To do he's got a very strong track Record. At augusta he knows his game, fits Here and i've talked with him, about this and he thinks that when he gets a major that it makes sense to him that it Happens that augusta could very well be.
Speaker 2: This week one follow Up, about tony what will you be looking for? Round one indicate he's in a good space, next week.
Speaker 9: Hitting the greens in the right spot to be able to put offensively instead. Of defensively you can get a green in Regulation at augusta and still be in very much in defensive mode if you're on the wrong part of the green for that a's. Pin Placement if tony is putting his second Shot and augusta is a second, shot course if he can be putting his second shot in position to put offensively, instead defensively he'll be in the Mix. On sunday, All, Right.
Speaker 2: PAUL before i say, you lose there are fourteen golfers that have odds that are plus three thousand.
Speaker 1: Or, less Okay so i'm going to read you.
Speaker 2: THE list i want you to give me your thoughts on, the favorites and then give me a name or two that's outside of the favorite cut line that you think. Will, compete so of course you're. No surprise at, the Top It's, Scottie Scheffler it's. Rory McElroy It's, Calamore Kawa It's, John Rahm It's. Ludvig Odberg it's Bryston. D Chambeau It's, Xander schoffley It's Jt It's, Adeki Matsuwama It's, Joaquin Neeman It's, Patrick Canley, Victor Hovlin, Brooks Kepkin. Jordan spieth so those are, your. Favorites okay so out of, that group who do? You like and then maybe a couple of names kind off the radar to watch.
Speaker 9: Out for my heart out of that group not only likes but Pleads for. RORY McElroy i want To see rory complete The Career, grand slam and he is in a better place now statistically than he has been in a long. Long time going into augusta plus he's, been winning and again recent form is one of the top indicators of somebody who has a chance. TO win i DO like jt what he's. Doing, lately, Now look scotty is an obvious choice for what he's Done at augusta the last. Three years the problem is recently he hasn't Been. Quite, scotty now maybe he finds it this Week. At augusta he's very clearly comfortable on this, golf course but, so hard so hard, to repeat and so Even For, scotti scheffler he just hasn't indicated this year that his game is ready to Repeat. At AUGUSTA so i would Look at. RORY McElroy i would LOOK. At jt we've talked about. Him recently his ability to go low is showing him showing. Itself again And, boy hattie that is a remarkable skill that. He has and if that comes with, him today, this week next Week, to augusta look out. For HIM the I Like daniel. Berger's Game daniel berger has to answer the second part of. Your question he has a really strong second shot game and he has been trending. Well lately plus. He's healthy he hasn't been healthy in quite. A while so he's one to kind of keep the look out of the side of your Vision For. Daniel berger, all right.
Speaker 2: Good stuff what's Coming? Up paul on the, program tomorrow we're going to be all.
Speaker 9: About the seventy fifth the fiftieth anniversary of the Seventy. Five masters we're going To Have Guy Yoakum Utah golf Hall of famer and the golf digest legend who has written extensively about the Seventy. Five masters he'll be on. The show we're going to be talking with and then we're going to be doing a lot With The drive Chip and pett and these three Very cool utah kids who are In The drive Chip, and pett including Of Course.
Speaker 2: Nicholas miller It's Like Michael jordan's Sunbee. Named lebron it's Like. Wild, Man, Okay, paul no that's a. Great story thank you for, the, Time sir. Travel, Safe, Okay thanks we'll, see, You Sir hi Paul pug Meyer You Tah golf radio coming up tomorrow on the station time now for our you went To golf leaderboard, up day you can stop by one of the five you went to golf locations or visit worldwide golf Shops dot com for the latest Deals ON, callaway Ai, Ten Times, Smart, clubs titleist pro v one and pro V, one x the new tailor MADE, q i Thirty, five Woods the ping g four forty drivers. And more it's our good friends that you went. To golf lena Bring In david benman coming up in, a bit one OF our nba.
Speaker 1: Celebrities reporters let's.
Speaker 2: Switch gears NOW the nfl draft us right around the corner front of. The Program thorn eystrom joins us On this friday afternoon to talk a little pro football thor how, you, doing?
Speaker 9: Man great how?
Speaker 2: You doing, I'm well. I'M well i appreciate. The time so this is like your time, of, year right this is when you really kind of. Dig in what's the past couple of weeks been like?
Speaker 7: For you.
Speaker 5: We will we will Sleep.
Speaker 8: In may but it's, you know it's always interest in getting especially you get deeper into to some of these profiles and you, started like why isn't this guy talked about more or or, Vice versa like this dude is way, over heights and, you know just developing your own opinions about some of. These guys it's a great time of.
Speaker 2: THE year i want to ask you about a, Local Kid, jackson dart who played his high school back high school football out this way and LANDED at usc of, course transferred and, you know it's it's interesting to hear the takes on him because it seems like you as ten, different people you get ten. Different takes where do you have him ranked and where do you think ultimately the fans out this way that Will follow jackson dark and expect him.
Speaker 8: TO go i HAVE him, qb THREE and i think, you know it's either going to be Late on thursday night or it's going to be pretty quick On on. Friday night, YOU know i see you talking late, first round early, second round the thing of the top. Ten hype i'm not there. With it it only takes. One though you know there there's some thought that he would be a good fit in in that, new System The kellen morris Installing In. New orleans there might be some. Interest there i'll believe IT when i see it if he's a top. Ten pick but, either way, you know, for, me qualitatively, late first early.
Speaker 2: Second shouldar sanders through today it is, pro day, of course we ARE formally Pac Twelve colorado Buddies now Big Twelve. Colorado buddies so we've Seen shad or here quite. A bit where do you think? He goes where do you analyze him in? This class and what do you think his his?
Speaker 8: Floor, Is shudear, you know it's sort of, the opposite, feels like at least the, public narrative, you know as far as the directions of it Against A. Jackson dart but, you know, for ME should i will Believe that shadier falls out of the top TEN when i. SEE it i don't think that's going. TO happen i don't think he's going.
Speaker 5: To fall out of the.
Speaker 8: Top five but, you know you have this crappy quarterback class and the the, Evaluation, issue dear you put it up against all these, other guys it's. JUST cleaner, i mean it's just like people that watch him and. EVALUATE him i feel like the people that get lost in the weeds. And stuff so people that bring in their preconceived notions About this andrews family and that sort of stuff and the perception. Of it but if you can remove yourself from that and just watch the games in a vacuum and then just look at the data against the. Other dudes he was the most impressive quarterback in this class over. His career it's not me going out on.
Speaker 5: The lambits it's.
Speaker 8: Literally just THE fact i, you know he started all. Four years his teams are. Always good, You Know jackson state that turn that thing around. Real quick and then, You, know colorado you take over one of the five or SIX worst, fbs programs not one of the five or six worst. Powerful ones, you know that team was terrible when they got to that one and, eleven team and you. Know that you know they also. Nippick him, it's, like oh he had good receivers and this sort of. Gimmicky thing he played behind terrible offensive Lines at colorado in an offensive scheme where the defense knew they weren't going, to run so you had the imposing defensive line who they could pin their ears back the entire game and and just, you know and the penetration you would see on his film, right away he figured out ways to work. AROUND that i like his functional mobility in.
Speaker 5: The pocket.
Speaker 8: You know another one of the crazy criticisms of him where it's like, all, right, guys stop was when people, were, like oh he's not a. Good athlete, it's, like yeah the son of one of the greatest athletes in the history OF the nfl is not a, good, Athlete okay like because he doesn't run out of, the pocket, you know like a couple of, you know. He doesn't he doesn't break containment then he's. Running downfield and the reason why is he he uses athleticism to make people miss in the pot when he, has to which he unfortunately did more than Most. At colorado he's really really good. At that and when he is scrambling he gets up close to the line, of scrimmage you're starting to run out. Of time he has a very cool quirk where he will stop in front of that line of scrimmage and he'll just plan himself there and, wait for, you know for a guy to get open if he hasn't seen. One yet he does a really good job of keeping his eyes up when he's, moving around but when he is rushing towards the line, of scrimmage when he, is scrambling you will see, the defenders, you know just it's a natural impulse to get, sucked downhill right because you know the games that they've played in, the past you always see the quarterback run pass line.
Speaker 5: Of scrimmage he.
Speaker 8: Uses that inclination against. Defensive, backs right he will stop on a dime there, waight way someone's gonna get, sucked down and now he has an.
Speaker 5: OPEN receiver i really like.
Speaker 7: HIS game i like his.
Speaker 8: POCKET presence i don't understand why he gets criticized for, that too and the elite thing. About him, of course it's accuracy. And placement you can put that. Up there you look at the last five. Quarterback classes there's not a lot of guys that can Compete With shadeer sanders in those. Two categories, so big big fan of.
Speaker 2: His game so tell me where you think. He lands And again i'll, just reiterate where do you think Is? Flora is, And look I'm a, jets, Fan okay AND so i wouldn't Mind because i'm. WITH you i wouldn't mind if he fell. TO seven i don't know if that's.
Speaker 1: A chance but what do? You think where do you think? He lands and what do you what do you think Is?
Speaker 2: FLORA is i know for A fact cleveland.
Speaker 8: Likes him, You know i'm not saying he's going to, go Too because cleveland also very much likes His Teammate. Travis, hunter now, YOU know i think that's a discussion. Right Now the colorado prote that you were, alluding to they had, a whole huge contingent From The cleveland browns organization that was, out there that included, their owner, you know in every major person in. That organization, of course you get to Take, in travis but, you know Also evaluate shadeer there the very close eyes, on Him and shadeer is would be a really good Fit for stefanski's offense. As well coming out OF The, NFL combine i talked TO an nfl source that, told me do not discount the Possibility that cleveland walks away from this draft With Both travis Hunter And. Shadeer sanders and at, THE time i, was like there's, no way and he's he was telling Me the shadeer. Sliding possibility in, that scenario You Pop travis hunter at. Number two let's say, That that let's Say that i'm wrong and he gets to, you know fourteen fifteen somewhere. Like that cleveland has all the draft equity in the world in. THIS class i just look at all the picks, They.
Speaker 5: Have they could easily get up to.
Speaker 8: Fifteen sixteen if. That happened So that's i'm going to call that. One. Out cleveland there's a shot still they take them at two, for sure but, if not And if i'm wrong about the other thing about, Him sliding cleveland's in play for.
Speaker 2: That too So everything i've read the word all seed to you because you're, the expert Is that tennessee has done. Their calculation they've landed on cam warded one is are you in line with? That storyline you think that's how this is going to? Go down and what do you think if that's.
Speaker 8: Their choice they absolutely want us to, believe that which might mean that it's, the truth and might mean that that it's not. The truth we have seen some very clever smoke screens in. The past ONE that i could, evoked that, you know for, This One san francisco wanted everyone, to know was it six seven years ago that they were going To Take mac jones at number three or number you know where they had two or three afriget but they ended Up Taking trey lance with it. Was three but, you know they were putting it, out there it's Gonna, Be mac it's Gonna. Be mac it wasn't going To. Be mac it was like, you know doubt us try to tell us who you're going to pick in advance, too, Much Right so tennessee is giving, us absolutely they are giving us all the indications in the world that they will Take. Cam morton that only means one of. Two, things unfortunately we can't say. In advance they they want us to believe something and we'll see if they end up falling through.
Speaker 2: With it, and yes As a, JETS fan i will selfishly kick the tires with an EXPERT as i do every time we talked, Pro football what what do my? Guys DO like, I said i would not mind Them grabbing shador if he's there, At seven but what do you think happens With the jets?
Speaker 8: At seven the good and the bad thing is is that there's enough holes there where you do not have to get myopic with the, pick right like the board is sort of open. To you will they will they try to get like a, you know the singular offensive dude In In, tyler warren the guy that the simply a, ball, mover right the offensive chess piece sort of.
Speaker 5: A dude i think that's.
Speaker 8: One, possibility obviously there's needs on defense there. As well you know you can get someone to play Next to Quinnon Uh kin. Law left, you know WHETHER, it's idl whether it's. Offensive tackle, you know you could use someone Across from bashanu and try to take care of that for the. Next decade, receiver obviously you know you know the. STUFF there i, to me it's it's somewhere. IN there i would be surprised if it was just because of the the outlay They gave fields over a multi, year DEAL though i realized it was only two years and it's not, crazy money so, you know technically you haven't crossed. It up but with with the all the other, HOLES there i would ASSUME and i would expect for them to go a non. Quarterback position do.
Speaker 2: You think there's ANY chance i was reading a piece In the, athletic today somebody covering their draft, that believes like you just Alluded, to tennessee this is a smoke screen and they're willing to move. That pick and, you know Like, The jets tennessee has a lot. Of holes do you think there's any chance they move off of one for more.
Speaker 8: Valuable, Pieces well tennessee for sure if they can get, that offer and this would also, you know the theory of they're not, decided yet but they want us to believe that. They are this is, you know if that scenario, was true that would be something that you would do if you want to listen, to offers, right, like oh we found our guy and we're, you know Blobbody blade and then you're hoping that a team that's obsessed with cam wore, donn is, you know gonna make you. An offer we'll have to see, on that, but Yeah if tennessee gets a legitimate trade offer where they feel they're, getting valued they're going to make, that Trade, right like, YOU know i just. Think that as far As the jets, AT seven i think they're an interesting trade down possibility because of all those. Different holes, and then of course you have new decision makers that are sitting in.
Speaker 5: Those.
Speaker 8: Seats now you brought a lot of new guys into the. Front office want to put your your mark. On Things And rick spielman one of the guys near and dear to, my heart he used to work a mile away From where i'm sitting. Right now that dude loves to trade down and get. Extra pegs we make fun of him here because every single year seemed like he had three or four seventh round picks that he had accumulated. Through it but there are teams that are gonna be looking to, move ON and i think some teams that would. Surprise people the forty nine ers are a team to watch out for to make a big move up to board in round one because they have an enormous amount of. Draft equity they have made all these changes to their offensive, skill guys and they want to restock that there's not. A receiver i don't think that they would. Be targeting i've been told to watch out for them moving Up For, tyler warren so that that's and even Potent daylight Ash and, gentz TOO and i know that this would, you know blow peace. Those minds it's like you Already got. Christian McCaffrey but they don't play football like the. Other, teams dude they played positionless football.
Speaker 2: On.
Speaker 8: Offense right it's like every time they go back to, the huddle it's like you shuffle the deck as far as the next play where everyone's going to. Line, UP like i just enjoy watching them because it's, always, like well where's, you know when deebo, is On where's debo going to be? This play where's where's are you going?
Speaker 7: To?
Speaker 8: Be kiddle they'd line up all over. The place McCaffrey could be, out wide he could be in, the slot he could Be the they move, guys everywhere and and so it opens up the potential possibilit because BECAUSE when i was, TOLD that i, was like there's no way they got McCaffrey's. Positionless football you could play those two. Guys together, so, like uh, you know but but you know a team to watch out for potentially Maybe the jets would, you know could potentially be involved in that if a Guy Like tyler warren gets to.
Speaker 2: THEIR pick i want To ask thor because you know it may be an, easy answer maybe Just Be. Travis hunter but who do you think is the best prospect in this draft regardless? Of position IF an nfl team called you and said best player regardless of where, he plays who would you say?
Speaker 7: And why?
Speaker 8: For me, for sure It Is travis hunter because because of that two, Position Things, travis hunter he'd be if he was just, a cornerback BE my cb one in.
Speaker 5: This class if he was just a.
Speaker 8: Wide receiver he'd be wide receiver one with the bull in. This class and the fact that you get both those things in, one package you can start to make an argument qualitatively for his value against, a quarterback which you know is sort. Of unique if you check both those boxes on, your team, you know you can start making that that. Qualitative argument he's different that that. Dude's different my comp. For him, You know i'm the guy that has a five hundred player big board of five hundred. PLAYER contact i just. LOVE comps i had to come from To Show. Heyo Tani there there wasn't another football PLAYER that i felt comfortable comping. Him to that's that was THE closest i could get as far as encapsulating my Thoughts On travis Hunter And travis hunter wants to Be Show. Heyo tani, you KNOW like i was laughing earlier. This process people would ask him to, be like, all right what position is he actually going to play in THE. N bo it's like, Both Ways and i'd, be, like, no no that what?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 8: Position actually, he's, like no, Both ways like he he wants to be to Show hey, otani guy he is not gonna Want to like if a team, Was, like travis we only want you on one side of, the ball he'd BE like i don't want to play. For YOU so i mean that that's what you're, gonna get and for sure It Be.
Speaker 2: Travis hunter so is your understanding the teams that he's speaking with are completely open to allowing him to play both, Positions.
Speaker 8: One yeah the interested. Parties, there yeah you're going to be playing him both ways. Right away you wouldn't draft him otherwise because you're gonna have a ticked off employee on your hand who's one of your your organization's most important people right from.
Speaker 5: The, get, so yeah that's that's what's.
Speaker 8: Being discussed the interesting thing will be after, the draft whatever team that ends, up being, you know Be, at cleveland be At. The, giants uh could it Be? The patriots could he get? Down before the interesting thing will be the discussions inside, that building which the coaching staff almost might get locked out. Of these it's more gonna be between your analytics, the department and your your medical team of trying to trying to look into the data and figure out a guy with, that frame what what is the amount of snaps that the human body at that size could take before we will elevate his? Injury risk right? Like it so we're going to play him eighty five percent of the snaps, you know defense as. A rookie how many? Additional ones what what percentage of the snapshare on offense can we do before it's dereliction of duties right where it's it is so many snaps you can almost guarantee that he will suffer a. SIGNIFICANT injury i think it's going to be, you know you're going to be between eighty to eighty five percent of the snaps on defense as, a ROOKIE and i think it's going to come out around forty to forty five on offense as. A ROOKIE and i think, those snaps you're going to Have A travis. Hunter playbook you are going to be looking To Get travis hunter. The ball he is not going to be out there to run block and then they're not going to put him out there on that early. DOWNS either i don't think that's one way that you can. Save him, but yeah crazy value player at the. Next level THORA.
Speaker 2: Before i say. You lose, you know typically we Have more utah football players involved in the draft process that have a chance to be, you know one of the, you know maybe a first. Round guy we don't have many, this Year but i'm gonna ask You About, brant keithy who was really the better pro prospect Prior To dalton king kid landing on campus and then kind of usurping that Role after brant went down and he had another injury a. Year Ago and i'm sure at some point throughout your analysis you've landed on him because when he was Healthy And cameron rising was under Center, for utah he just looked. The part he had. The productivity he's a. Great kid he's been a friend of the station for a. Long TIME and i see him listed as the seventh rated, you know tight end slash h back on one of, these lists and it's gonna be tough just because of. The health but what do you make of this Process For? Bran keithy and do you think at some point maybe he will have a PRO football.
Speaker 5: I hope he.
Speaker 8: Does that, YOU know i had never met Him, Before indianapolis but the thing you're saying about him being a, good kid you could.
Speaker 5: Tell that at his.
Speaker 8: Podium session, You, know uh we asked him A. COUPLE yeah i don't want to say like, hard questions but like non softball questions you know about, you know you're on the, older side and you know what your injury. History is, you know the WAY the nfl will. View that, you know you're not an, inline guy, you know and and and like that's what, you know basically make. The case, you know your skill set, as is, you know and stuff, like that and super super, duper respectful, you know with with with the answers and thoughtful and the way that that he saw. That stuff but he knows he's facing a bit of an uphill. Climb here, BUT yeah i mean that that's a guy who you know that all the adversity. HE'S overcome i think he's ready for that might come, for him. YOU know i think you guys will will, you know at least it's around the area of, the country and. It's recently There's Remember dallan holker from the, Last, sure yeah, you know THE guy i called The Incredib. Doble hulker there's there's a lot of similarities there in terms of. Their frames they both have the long arms that they had the same THING that i liked, about them which is their, really crafty clever, route, runners right and so they managed to make the little bit of separation that they need short and. Intermediate area it's not guys that you're going to send down, the field but they're guys that potentially can be used to pay per cut defenses at the. Next level and can brand stay healthy enough?
Speaker 9: For that?
Speaker 8: Right like and he can overcome the measurables because of. That craftiness because he has the longer arms than you would expect from, the frame it gives him a bigger catch radius than defenders. Are expecting explaining explain some of. That production but can he stay healthy enough TO show nfl teams that route running machination and then the reliability when that balls on? THE doorstep i can be that paper cut guy.
Speaker 5: For you that's what we're.
Speaker 8: Hoping for hopefully his body doesn't portray.
Speaker 2: Him or where can our football? Fans go find?
Speaker 5: Your?
Speaker 8: Work buddy you can find me the scutting reports that mob drafts to five hundred player big board Aforementioned On Matthew Berry's, fantasy life and then you can find Me on twitter At.
Speaker 2: Door ku, thanks man appreciate.
Speaker 9: THE time i know.
Speaker 2: You're busy we'll set, You.
Speaker 8: Loose okay always good talking to, you guys?
Speaker 2: All right STORNEISTROM little nfl draft less than three. WEEKS away i always appreciate.
Speaker 6: His time we're back on the drive With ESPN's dave mcminnimon joining us FOR Today's Nba.
Speaker 2: Daily, assist well latch you in at the Five o'clock out of, the program about thirty minutes from, Right now University of utah men's. Basketball program grab a RECRUIT or i should say transfer today out of the. Transfer portal puzzle piece number two in PLACE. For aj but we'll do A little nba now with one of, Our favorites. Dave mcminnimon he's. Very famous he's a celebrity reporter On a. Friday, Afternoon, hello david how?
Speaker 7: ARE you i.
Speaker 11: AM well i reject your INTRODUCTION because i make it about.
Speaker 5: The STORY the.
Speaker 11: Nba is, famous basketball, the players, the coaches. THE executive i am but a vessel to convey their stories to our listeners, and readers a CONDUIT of.
Speaker 2: Nba stories dave McManamon. JOINS us, I, Apologize, dave well you're kind of a big deal and we feel honored that you would join us every time you have a little bit. Of time let me start right here as we stretch a little bit to try to make something. Local interesting you are, a, voter right you vote for the, postseason, Awards, correct yeah, that's right. All RIGHT so i would imagine you were one of a number of people that received a package in the Mail from jazz pr To Consider isaiah Callier For. All rookie now in a, Normal year i'm not sure that he would be in consideration the. ROOKIE class, I mean i Love This stefon. CASTLE kid i was hoping he fell To the jazz. Quite Frankly, but isaiah ever since he was given the starting Nod, from will has been one of the real. Bright spots he's got to get that jumper. Dialed in but he is thirty two percent from three Since The all, star break which, isn't great but it's better than, twenty three which is he was. Prior to do you think our guy here on, The ground Isaiah call you has a shot to make one of?
Speaker 7: These?
Speaker 2: TEAMS yeah.
Speaker 11: I do I mean i casually keep track Of the rookie Of the year late race WITH the Nba Dot Com. Rookie ladder they weekly have their top ten guys. IN contention i think they have him at eight. Right now and, you know if you're naming, two teams that kind of puts him right. IN there i think some. Of it, of course we have to acknowledge it hasn't been the best rookie class that hasn't caught the league. By fire but, you KNOW certainly i got to see him up close in college a couple, of times Checking Out, briddy james and he has that kind of build where, you're, like oh could he translate this To A marcus smite smart type.
Speaker 8: Of game on?
Speaker 11: Both ends and Obviously this jazz eason has been about doing things to prepare themselves for, the future, of COURSE but I think i WOULD be i have a hard time seeing myself not putting him on, my ballot probably on the, second.
Speaker 2: Team since you and that was a very professional way of putting the approach Of The, utah jazz very Kind, to dave doing things to consider, their future certainly unseerious. ABOUT winning i wonder what sort OF because i was told by somebody with the team that the one player that's taking this the Hardest Is. Walker kessler and you can tell at Times When will hardy wants to get honest that this is not something that.
Speaker 1: He's enjoying he's got two.
Speaker 2: Years left both options picked up he's part of the, brain trust he's part of, the deal he's part of. The future but in your history of being around, the game covering, the game what sort of toll does losing like this take on? Young players fifty plus years of, jazz basketball this is the first team that's lost more than.
Speaker 11: Sixty, games yeah, it's BRUTAL and i think we've spoken about. It before if it becomes a prolonged kind of purposely staying in purgatory in order to extend your window as, a team, you know kind of not quite ready to jump into the double dutch and get the. BALL rolling i think that is extremely difficult on players and coaches who are trying to establish their career and recognize that their reputation could be tied to an organization that doesn't align with what their hopes and. Dreams are and while there are guaranteed contracts IN, the nba that, makes it, YOU know i think a better situation than someone saying IN the nfl finding themselves in a, rebuilding situation it is still a, sleeping experience and, YOU know i think we have to remind ourselves though it can change on a trifle BECAUSE, the nba you have five players on the court at any, given time if you get one of those difference makers in, the draft or, you know trade falls in, your lap all of, a sudden.
Speaker 7: You, could have, you know a guy.
Speaker 11: From one year to the next that makes the other four guys are playing with that much better and your. Stock changes, And yeah i'm sure it's no secret. Like That the jazz want to be in On The cooper, flag sweepstakes and if they, get them you're going to get a guy who Just took duke to the, final four possibly to a Championship, on monday and carry on those winning ways and be a guy who clearly it's not. About him he seems to be a guy who can fit in with any type. Of talent maybe things feel a lot Better For walker.
Speaker 8: Kessler just six months.
Speaker 11: From now AND so i think that is kind of where there has to be a degree of patients with the process, like this because when we look at the, draft board you do see some special people at the top. This year, that said it is, a lottery and if you end up with more than, twenty wins is that like you get one hundred percent chance at the number.
Speaker 8: One pick and the best you can do is twenty five.
Speaker 2: Percent chance so one more thing here and we'll stay in the space of what you. Just reference If the jazz are able To Have lady luck shine upon them in a way that they never have before in nine trips To the lottery and number One is utahs and they use That On cooper Flag With lotry Market And Walker Kestler, Cooper flags i'm exciting whites for. The market so. There's THAT but i wouldn't want to, Ask. YOU david i know you're not, a SCOUT but, i mean obviously you have a lot of great draft analysis over at the dot com and also on the shows that you do of all of the comps that you've Heard For, cooper flag for jazz fans that really want to see, this happen who kind of tracks? The most what sort of player do you think he could be if he stays healthy and has developed the right way when it's. FULLY developed.
Speaker 11: I think the floor IS someone i think this name should resonate with jazz fans is Someone Like, andrew kerlinka a five tool player defensive minded doesn't necessarily need touches on offense to still have an extreme effect on. The game the ceiling could be someone like a Plus Side, scottie pippen who can obviously play in the, open floor be a lockdown and defender on, the perimeter what with the, ball skills be able to turn a turnover into a fast break where he is the man on the ball and able to finish it himself or set up. A teammate, AND again i think the KIND of dna of both THOSE players i mentioned.
Speaker 8: Is neither of them were about.
Speaker 11: Personal stats neither of them were about kind of the ego side of things and needing it to be all. About themselves, of course there are moments That, with pippen but we'll forgive. Him that The overall arkivis career was a. Team player that is something that anyone you talked To About cooper, flag says that's what he's.
Speaker 7: All ABOUT and i Was.
Speaker 11: In vegas last summer when he was Competing WITH, team USA and i got to only a small portion of that session where he played against the. National team the senior, NATIONAL team i, should say was open to, the MEDIA but i got to speak to some of the COACHES when i, was there, you know, at nighttime and talk to them about what they saw in the gym and they were singing the, kids' praises and so if you could possibly get someone, LIKE that i think it's a harsh pill worth swallowing for a season to put yourself in, the running, you know because you get get someone like that all of, a sudden now you're looking at a window for your franchise of five to ten years of hope and excitement and, you know really changing.
Speaker 5: Your trajectory so we.
Speaker 2: Saw Little warriors lakers, last night little. LEBRONZE staff i think the broadcast said for the fifty sixth time these to go at it, And, look dave it might be time to start Talking About golden state a little. BIT differently, i think what is it twenty and Four With, Jimmy butler and, you know The way draymond's looked lately has also BEEN something i don't think has been talked. About enough he is back to being. That, Guy defensively steph Is still steph even at. That age coming.
Speaker 7: Is.
Speaker 2: Healthy now i've talked to you, a lot and it's probably just time to say it's okay see officially and. Everybody else but do we need to start Looking At golden state differently than we had prior to the past twenty. FOUR games.
Speaker 11: I have to spend some Time with draymond the night before, the game and he WAS in espn kind of doing the car washing and meeting, with folks doing. Some interviews and his belief level.
Speaker 5: Right now is through.
Speaker 11: The CHARTS and I know draymond is someone who seemingly is always talking, about something so on, some LEVEL maybe i should take it with a grain. Of salt but to me or a guy that's been around for work championship teams In that warriors, locker room the way he's talking about them right now is like he's expecting them to make a. Deep run i'm not saying we could like.
Speaker 5: We will and.
Speaker 11: That combined with, the record Combined With steve kurse seemingly finding this starting lineup now that he feels like is the right mixing matchup of guys who have they're thirteen to zero with the small ball group with Obviously they're big Three and Jimmy And, stephan draymond and then You Have brandon pazemski who was fantastic, last Night And moses moody who's kind of filling that stretch role that you know they were kind of unsure whether it would occur, or not and then you get the likes of Someone Like jonathan cominger come off the bench and he had a great Game. Against lakers they, are legitimate and, of course when it comes down to it in, a series You Have, steph curry who's proved When the chips were down this past Summer, in france there was. Nobody better and you have a championship. HEAD coach i think they are a very. Serious contender the thing is Because the west is still. So crowded they're game Behind the lakers.
Speaker 5: For fifth.
Speaker 11: They don't have this tie break With. The lakers even Though the lakers lost, Last night lakers still won the, season series.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 11: All of this work that they've done thus far could still in them being in sixth or something like that and Playing The denver nuggets in the. First Round And denver nuggets are terrible matchup, for them.
Speaker 5: And it could be all.
Speaker 11: For not so it's kind of. Like both i'm speaking on both sides of. My mouth but they, are legitimate But the west is so tough that they could get a bad draw and they're out in the.
Speaker 2: First round, All, right DAVE before i say, YOU loose i know you got, To go so be as short on this as. You want and my guess is you might be, very SHORT because i am going to ask you a question about a player that you've covered forever and a company that signed, your paychecks and where you're a pillion. Saw lake you know. The deal lebron goes on, McAfee's show there's the back and Forth WITH. STEVEN a i have no idea why Win Horse cat Strays when brian has done nothing but stand Up for lebron and be fair to him. For years my question to, you is why did We had bill ram on this Week and bill got into a Thing with lebron a few? Years back why do You think lebron even entertains any of THIS what i perceived to be.
Speaker 1: Utter nonsense i'm.
Speaker 2: Just curious.
Speaker 11: It's a really, fair question and it's not Even that i'm reticent to. ANSWER it i just don't. Quite know, You know lebron is someone that in MANY respects, i admire certainly for what he's made, to accomplish but his dedication to his craft IS something i think anyone in any field can kind of draw some sort of. Inspiration from at the, same time some days he's about being a statesman and a role model.
Speaker 8: And, an ambassador and some days he's like.
Speaker 5: A dude in.
Speaker 11: A BARBERSHOP and i think the Version of lebron that we Saw if, pat McAfee was. Very relaxed he did almost an hour and a half, INTERVIEW both i think the Host and lebron, they were, you know casually dropping curse words here, and there and, you know what you heard from him was certainly not a, polished version and sometimes that can be. Really relevatory in, this, Case obviously BRIAN and i wrote a best selling Book about. Lebron together he's a really.
Speaker 5: GOOD colleague i respect.
Speaker 11: HIS work i found out to, Be unfortunate, BUT yeah i, you know Even as I've covered lebron and his teams for more than a, DECADE now i would ever venture to SAY that i know the full scope of. The guy, you know we were afforded so many opportunities to be around a guy through, media access but there's all sorts of layers to the life that we aren't.
Speaker 8: Privy TO so.
Speaker 11: I would say that the overall picture for the guy is still, overwhelmingly POSITIVE and i think you could find a lot of positive in that seventy five minute.
Speaker 5: Interview you Did with.
Speaker 11: Pat McAfee but there's gonna be some slip ups here, and THERE and i think some of the things, he said certainly his Comments About, brian winors, you know kind.
Speaker 5: Of, Necessary dave, thank.
Speaker 2: You sir appreciate. THE time i have a. Great weekend we'll. Chat, TOOON okay i take care, of that. All right dave mcmitman COVERS the NBA. For espn find Them on twitter at mc ten is where you. Find, him yeah just kind of an. Odd thing dave would know The lebron angle as much. As anybody, friday afternoon it's the final segment of the show for the day and for.
Speaker 1: The Week happy friday. To, YOU congratulations ja.
Speaker 7: Made it.
Speaker 2: Weekend time hopefully have something. Fun planned the weather is supposed to, be Fine like, april fine, you know. Fifty degrees you got fifty two tomorrow For the utah football scrimmage coming up at ten O'clock At.
Speaker 1: Rice cycles they're allowing the media.
Speaker 2: To watch look. At, them wow. How exciting And then sunday fifty Seven and sunday next week in, the sixties and then, you know we'll see Because it's April And. Utah porter we were discussing earlier whether or not YOU or i has had a hole, in one and the answer. Is no are you prone to outbursts where you use language that your mother would be disappointed to hear you use at times on the? Golf course.
Speaker 4: Just knowing, my mother she doesn't she doesn't give. A, hoot.
Speaker 2: Well your hypothetical mom that cares, about, Sweat.
Speaker 4: RIGHT yes i am prone.
Speaker 3: To outbreaks the fact that we have, gone through however Many years i've been on the radio without any anything like that kind of crossing over is quite. The, Feet yeah i'm prone to that. FOR sure i don't have much of. A filter i've done a decent job of it staying on air.
Speaker 2: Real quick did you just say she doesn't give, a hoot doesn't give? A hoot you're like thirty, years old you don't see give? A hoot what?
Speaker 7: Are you?
Speaker 2: Sixty seven.
Speaker 4: It's boots you Know where.
Speaker 1: I'M from i, don't know, all right we're thirty.
Speaker 4: Years behind HERE'S why i bring.
Speaker 2: It up, ryan McCormick who is a golfer on The Corn ferry tour and has not been playing. Very well he's had a lot of outbursts, this year they've been captured on social and for The Upcoming Corn faerry tour tournament, this weekend he has decided to play a tournament with his mouth taped shut so he does not have. Angry.
Speaker 4: OUTBURSTS interesting i bet he's gonna shoot a.
Speaker 2: Terrible, round well and also that's it's NOT that, i mean that doesn't, Protect, you like it's not hard to take the tape off, your. MOUTH like i don't think this feels like it's it's more of an. ATTENTION grab i don't think that's going to be. VERY effective i.
Speaker 3: Was, gonna say is he doing the is he like sponsored by one of those companies that's doing cold plunges and tape in their mouth while? They sleep is he is he like combining it with that or? Is it is it all about the, You know.
Speaker 2: I've actually i've actually Had because i've got a couple of, let's see let's be, careful Here.
Speaker 1: IT'S friday i have a, couple, WELL no i have a couple of.
Speaker 2: Family members and friends that have kind of leaned into the manisphere type Cold Plunge, andrew kuberman, sunlight exposure, and look some of that stuff is. Very valuable let me sit where you should preface it with some, of that but the tape on the. Mouth thing so My, brother nate who IS the ceo of the clothing company that we talked, About, often ROWAN and i have a Bag of roan for YOU that i just need to. Bring You and.
Speaker 1: Nate rules.
Speaker 2: He's awesome he's a. Smart kid all my little brothers are smarter and more ACCOMPLISHED than.
Speaker 1: I am but, you know we're in a.
Speaker 2: Family vacation, he's, like, hey bro have you ever tried a tape in your mouth show when? You sleep, i'm, like no that. Sounds horrible IT'S.
Speaker 5: Like i do it.
Speaker 2: Every night so he had. Ron tape, oh wow and, he said look just. Try, this okay It was. Roan tape it was like some sort of all those companies they just do collaborations with, each other, like hey here's a, rown shirt send me a pair. Of shoes he never pays. For anything, it's wild like he has figured out life in a WAY that I wish. I could that's part of, the game. Isn't it it is then why we should be better. AT that i don't think we're very good.
Speaker 4: At that we're not, Selling, anything spence we're, Selling air we're.
Speaker 2: Selling thoughts wait, a second we are, selling, entertainment enlightenment and information for four hours every single day on.
Speaker 3: The, Rating right i'm just saying it's hard to trade that. For things they don't know our value in the. Business world they don't know what we bring to.
Speaker 4: The tape we.
Speaker 1: Are undervalue that's.
Speaker 2: Well, said anyway long, story short grab some of. THE tape i go to lay DOWN and i was exhausted because our family vacations are. Never relaxing we have to get up at six and do the things, until TEN and i FELT like i.
Speaker 7: Was.
Speaker 2: DROWNING oh i woke up in a PANIC because i couldn't BREATHE because i GUESS when, I sleep i tend to breathe out of, my MOUTH which i.
Speaker 4: Didn't know I'll play devil's advocate for the sake of.
Speaker 2: The, show.
Speaker 3: Now if you're not like really trying to get to the next level as an athlete or something, like that the differences that you will see from like taping your mouth shut or whatever not gonna do much. For you but if you tape your mouth shut and you, can't breathe that probably means you got something, going on maybe a deviated septum or a broken nose from way back that is. Bothering you the real thing is to go get that taken care of so you don't have to tape your, mouth shut and so you can breathe clearly through, your nose through, your mouth through all of, the above and then you, get like, you know all the oxygen you're supposed. To get i've seen some runners. DO it i think that makes more sense. Than sleeping but when you're trying to get the, airway, open yeah training your your body to breathe through your nose is not a. Bad thing, BUT yeah i think it's kind of silly when guys are sleeping.
Speaker 2: With it somebody is crushing A Little, Andrew, HUBERMAN.
Speaker 7: Listen i like.
Speaker 4: TO run i like to get. Out There so i'm just saying to have a good.
Speaker 3: To know where you're at with like, your breathing your your, sinus rhythm your, you know whether you're doing it through your nose of your mouth is actually there's some signs. Behind it, but AGAIN like, I said i'm not going to be taping my mouth shut to sleep through.
Speaker 2: The night did you get your sunlight exposure. This, morning no are you going to be rubbing your face with a banana pio when you wake.
Speaker 4: UP tomorrow i haven't done that. One yet did you see that?
Speaker 2: Guy's routine it WENT like i had, no choice but of course it's. Not real, my face so my but, hold on. Hold on my favorite part of that video is him. At work, he's, like bro we got to get in for, ten thousand like he's it's it's it is all such a facade and. So Fake it it breaks my heart that anybody falls for. These charlatans that's. What sucks my.
Speaker 3: Favorite Part and i'm sure you guys have seen different videos and different versions, of this but. It's this it's this guy with his like, morning routine right and he wakes up at three point fifty seven am and by, nine am the the only thing he has done is washed his face and gone to. The gym now he's made it, like this this cool video that's getting a bunch of, you know social, media views and it looks like this really deep and. Awesome routine he literally took six hours to, wake up clean up and go to.
Speaker 2: The gym.
Speaker 1: The whole thing is just such a it's.
Speaker 2: So fraudulent it should be illegal because the problem is with all the people that watch that, video enough probably we're convinced that, it's real that he probably got some subscriptions and made money because people don't know. Any better they think what they see is real online they pay for and these charlatans are. Stealing money it's beyond bothers, the toing and we're at.
Speaker 3: The point now where it doesn't even have to be like you have a partnership with, this brand you have a here. Or there you're getting paid just for engagement on. Social media so even if you're doing things that are, strictly bait right you're strictly trolling people or just trying to get them to click and, comment hate you're still. Making money we're we're an interesting place in, that regard spence.
Speaker 2: Interesting PLACE when i saw, THAT video i actually considered doing one of my own to actually show you exactly what mornings look like.
Speaker 4: For me you guys would you guys would have a field day, with me.
Speaker 1: Like scrolling on. My phone it's, Like nine, i'm LIKE do i really want to get out?
Speaker 2: Of bed, you know like the dog comes and jumps, on me scrounging together some sort of breakfast situation and then lean into it like DO like i want to release like actual real morning routine videos so people feel better. About themselves you do not need to wake up, at four, you know dip your head in, ice water do this sun.
Speaker 1: Routine like you don't need to do all.
Speaker 3: That stuff, for example i am a thirty year old man working a JOB that i dreamed about DOING when i.
Speaker 4: Was younger i'm in.
Speaker 3: Good shape you, could say, You know i'm doing okay in that in that regard in, the personal, you. Know sphere but if you see me On a, monday, MORNING say i, don't know nine thirty nine forty, FIVE am i, Am scraggly i'm stumbling out of my. FRONT door i probably don't say a word for first hour or so of my. Waking moments, you know it's, not pretty it's not, like aesthetic but it's how it. Really is and the people that are on, the, internet now, let's see maybe some of them are are are. Being authentic i'm sure a lot of, them are but there is so much inauthenticity trying to sell you on something or a course or something, that yeah yet you should you should probably try to find a way to, navigate, it because, LIKE you i have unfortunately seen a fair share of people in my network THAT have i wouldn't say leaned into, that stuff but definitely been taken by it a.
Speaker 9: Little.
Speaker 2: Bit bro we got to get in for like, ten thousand at, Least, fifteen bro that's what he said, at work which he probably doesn't, do anything but he was rubbing his face with. A banana what. An, idiot anyway do not fall for. These scammers i'm sorry if, you have we. Have misbehaved we got to get out, of here reporter before we get our. Weekend started what comes our way On A monday showy On.
Speaker 3: A, monday show as we do each And, Every Monday the latest On the utes with Our Guy, Josh Furlong tom haberstrow stops by FOR The Nba. Daily assist we'll have some sound from. Youte spring we have a scrimmage that we're allowed to be At, on saturday so we'll have some stuff, from that and then as baseball, season starts the Women's basketball, Tournament Continues tony parks will be in studio for an. Entire Hour, bees jazz really any direction you want to go with.
Speaker 2: That guy, all right that'll be A fun. Monday show tune in for that special thank you On this. Friday edition Adam, Miklitch Is, Zach Harper, Paul Pugmeyer, thor Nystrom and Dave. Mcminnimon so a lot, of guests a lot. Of content but the good news is if you've missed any, of it it's up online for. Your CONSUMPTION website espn, seven hundred sports, dot com DOWNLOAD the espn seven hundred app and take us on the so then please become a supporter of our podcast page over. The weekend if you have, some, time subscribe rate, and review say, nice things give us all. The stars you will be. Eternally blessed It's Called the Drive. With spence check its available wherever it gets. Your shows he's, A Porter i'm SPENCING and i have a. Great, weekend guys you. Earned it be good, to yourself be good to. Each other we'll talk to you On A monday drive as well as you can find it right HERE on espn seven hundred NINETY. Two onefm we are proud to be Part OF Utah's espn.
Speaker 1: Radio network