Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 2: We welcome back midnight viewers to Father Malone's weekly round up. I'm Father and with me wearing her brand new shiny collar is missus ripley Jean? Will you sound a kind of musical? Do we need a theme song? What am I talking about? We have a theme song one that a student listener, Chris Haggerty, wrote in to say that it reminded him of the interstitial music from John Carpenter's assault on Precinct thirteen, which is exactly what it's meant to evoke. Good on you and thank you once again to HP for that theme. What are we talking about this week?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think I have mentioned your brother. Have I mentioned Norman Bates on this podcast yet? Norman is a freaky LIIKOI cat. Those are more commonly referred to as werewolf cats, which is an appropriate name. It's like being in an American werewolf in London all the time. When Norman was around in more ways than one last week, I said, Hey, do you want to go outside and go potty? And he turned and he said, didn't you mean the lou And I said no, I meant potty like a brat would use because you're a fucking brat. And then we both said see you next Wednesday, bitch, and I thought we were going to kill each other. But it turns out that that Freaky Friday movie was right. If you say the same thing at the same time with the same intent, it causes magic. Except if you say see you next Wednesday at the same time, it conjures up John Landis and he just immediately starts talking about Lon Cheney. It diffused the situation, and I'm thankful, But man, he made us watch Kelly's Heroes and he did a running commentary. Oh he was exhausting anyway. Speaking of werewolves, this would have been Rip's picked this week if I could have smuggled her into the theater to know. Neither your brother nor sister are interested in forming a pantomime human to sneak into movies with you. Wait wait, Norman says he'll do it, but he wants to be the head and shoulders. I'd actually love to see that. You'd be like some kind of wolf man.
Speaker 3: Right now, we're gonna hello, Could anyone hear me?
Speaker 1: Hello? We were in an accident, Daddy, We're gonna die.
Speaker 2: No, it's my job to protect you and we.
Speaker 3: We were at to act. I think my husband was infected.
Speaker 1: Back daddy, Daddy, what's wrong with daddy?
Speaker 2: She got sick?
Speaker 3: What is happening to week? Can you understand me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're.
Speaker 3: You're scaring me.
Speaker 1: Daddy's mean. Sorry, Mommy is coming.
Speaker 2: The current state of the studio system is wildly depressing to think there was a time if a gangster picture was coming from the Warner Brothers, it was probably gonna be aces, or that if a musical bore the roaring Lion of MGM, you were in for a treat. Or that torch Lady Front in Columbia, she'd be announcing a hell of a Western But horror, Oh my goodness, oh my badness. There were other studios that dabbled, looking at you, RKO, but really there was only one game in town, and that was Universal Pictures. The literal murderer's row of boogeymen they gave us would come to symbolize horror in the twentieth century. Dracula, Frankenstein, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Invisible Man, The Phantom of the Opera, The Bride of Frankenstein, The Mummy, Doctor Jekil and mister Hyde, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the Wolfman.
Speaker 3: Oh you've got a Wolfman impression? Ah?
Speaker 2: How after last week's Lorne Michael's I Am All Ears, Good Girl leew and l Knows tension After two decades of pretty decent scare shows, the open seen here has a camera move that made me giggle at how skillfully it manipulated me. Bravo oneell. The goal in both The Invisible Man and here in Wolfman, not the wolf Man, just wolf Man, seems to be to drag those characters into the twenty first century. Invisible Man is easier than most because you don't have to deal with the supernatural. It's always been a mad scientist. Now a suit of cameras that project what's behind you on the surface is just as plausible now as the bleaching properties of monocane were to audiences in the original. So it's amusing that he sets this film in a cabin isolated in the wilds of Oregon, conveniently allowing the first of all modern horror checklist items to be marked present can't get any cell service out here, shocker, but at least that's a clear choice that the film has made the rest of its motivations are about as opaque as any window seems to be in this film. That is ultimately going to be the theme. By the way, movement without clarity, the whole thing is set up. I should mention with an opening crawl that tells us, you know what, I'm just going to read the entire word salad here. In early nineteen ninety five, a hiker disappeared in the isolated mountains of central Oregon. After several observations, some members of the isolated community, have you got an the idea that it's isolated, that's twice began to speculate that the missing man had contracted a virus transmitted my animals that they call He'll fever. The indigenous peoples who preceded them called it differently, mouth of the Wolf. Okay, so that's a cheat right there. From the get go. I want this to be plausible, but also, you know, it could be spooky, supernatural stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it turns you into a wolf, but that's completely scientific.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: This story is about an out of work writer whose real career is super dad. That's right, He'll buy you everything in the gift shop of the museum and take you to ice cream afterwards. But he has a bit of a temper, so maybe this is an allegory for domestic violence, though between parent and child here as opposed to spouse to spouse, like Invisible Man could be, seems a totally legitimate path to follow. There's trouble at home though. He and his wife have reached that convenient place in movies where they've grown distant, but without any real discernible reason to be pointed to. It's just one of those generally drifted apart that is in most flicks conveniently solved with a declaration of love scenarios. Is there jealousy because she's a working journalist and he's unemployed. That's attack you could hang the film on. So Blake, that's the lead character's name. I had to look it up. A side of being superdad and somewhat estranged from his wife, has just received word that his dad, missing for an indeterminate amount of time, has been declared dead and his personal effects have been passed down. That's the cabin in the forest, So off they go. Does this make this like straw Dogs about the thin veneer of society that covers up animal instinct. Hell of a theme to explore. You can figure out where this is going. Blake is bitten or scratched. Let's say he's wounded, and then the fun begins, or it would if the film had any interest in that. It is a great setup. There's a monster patrolling the exterior, waiting to pounce and attempting to gain entrance, while your spouse is slowly becoming that very same beast. Maybe Oneell, being Australian, didn't see the fucking super obvious allegory he could have pursued here. I mean, in general, tell me a relationship you've been in where over time you feel the person has changed, or maybe you've changed and they haven't. That is worth exploring. Never mind the current state of affairs here in the United States, where we no longer recognize our friends.
Speaker 3: And loved ones.
Speaker 2: So what is the movie about? According to one l in every interview I've listened to, it's about disease.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Sure, there are nods to all the possibles I mentioned, but the fact is Whenell's big innovation for the werewolf may is to make it the fly. Because that is the film that this most resembles all the way through. The problem is you can feel one L straining over the weight that meant the invisible man. I'll bet dollars to donuts that one L sat down to write a thriller and framed it in the most relatable way possible, a controlling relationship. It's a potent idea on its own, but the timing of the film's release crested the me too wave and gave the film a gravitas that may not have been entirely earned, or maybe it was. In any event, that's not something you can replicate spontaneously. The Fly can be taken as a very real allegory for the AIDS epidemic. It was in the right place, at the right time, with the right subject matter. But the fact is Cronenberg had been dabbling in body horror all along. I suspect if he had made The Fly in nineteen seventy nine, it would have been remarkably similar to the film that we received, though it would have been viewed through whatever lens was popular at that moment. So one L doubles and triples down here, throwing out all of these possibles of what he's trying to say about the wolf Man without focusing on any of them at all, which is fine if it has good scares, which it does, and interesting characters, which it does not. I won't spoil that or really anything else, but I will say, because one hell wants this to be science based, if a character loses a foot, they don't become faster you dig. More likely they bleed out after two minutes tops, no silver bullet required.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 2: I didn't get behind the mic glow those many years ago with the intention of contributing to the endless waves of negativity out there. In fact, what spurred me to start broadcasting in the first place was the preponderance of shows laser focused on the shredding of movies to pieces just bread and circus bullshit. It may be why my focus tends to hover on the things I love. I've got a brain jam packed with so much stupid movie knowledge that it wouldn't hurt to spread some of it around and recommend things people might actually find diverting. But then I started reviewing contemporary entertainment and things get dicey, which is a long winded way of apology. This show isn't about snark unless I'm pushed, and goddamn it, the entertainment gods are pushing me like well, like you do rip when you're trying to get a treat out of my hands.
Speaker 3: No, I don't have a treat right now.
Speaker 2: Hit at HP K, thank you hp it's raining men, am I right? Remember just a couple of episodes ago, when I was telling tales of fandom past, back when the Star Trek fans were the assholes and Star Wars fans the underdogs. And even though those roles have now reversed and Star Wars fandom has become toxic, it has still managed to produce two shows worthy of the Star Wars name well that Upside Down Bizarro World, or in this case, the Mirror Universe just keeps right on hurtling through the cosmos. In my mind, Star Trek has always had something of quality on at all times until Voyager anyway, that show was terrible, but Star Trek has always been hit or miss. This was a film franchise marked by the fact that the even films were good. That means the odd films were bad. So maybe Star Trek fans are a little more flexible given the mutability of the show's quality over the years, or the quality of the shows. Here are my Starfleet credentials. I'm fluent in the original series, the animated series, Next Gen, and most of Deep Space nine. I watched Voyager intermittently until seven of nine showed up, and then with a little more regularity. Nice work, Brandon Braga, and then there's Enterprise. There was so much I like about that show, or wanted to like about that show, but the completely interchangeable white guy Bridge crew was so fucking dull man. No complaints about DePaul, No complaints with the continued use of Jeffrey Combs as an Andorian. He should be in all the Star Trek's dummies. He's a good luck charm. Treat him like Ratzenberger is treated by Pixar. Do I have to mention the opening song. I'm gonna have to mention the opening song. It's one of the best track credit sequences with the fucking worst possible piece of music. It's like they hired Mike Post circa nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: Five to compose that. Diddy.
Speaker 2: I know there's a working theory of failing upwards, so it makes sense that one person can constantly bumble their way to top creative positions. But this isn't the work of one person. There were many just to decide, hey, let's do a song that'd be different, and then they hired someone, and then they handed in a demo, and then they listened to that demo and said, yeah, that's the sound of Star Trek in song form. Even if it's three or four dunderheads, even if it were only them, then the fact that it gone on the air would make sense. But now that song has to be recorded, Musicians and vocalists have to be hired, time is booked at a studio, and engineers services are engaged. How many people is that now? No pushback? Okay, so maybe none of those people are really affiliated with Star Trek. There's session people and contractors. Not their job to comment on the material. It's to do as they're told and cast the check. But then that song has to be laid into the show over those credits where the credits designed around the song. What a terrible thought. Now, how many people haven't opened their mouths and said the fucking obvious. I'm sure I could find the actual answers to these questions, but I'm treating them hypothetically because there is no decent reason for that fucking song to exist. Because of it, there is no streaming skip credits button fast enough to get me to rewatch that series. Enterprise really took the joy out of the show for me for quite a while. That in the fact that it found itself in between Insurrection and Nemesis. I mean, seriously, that's a fucking terrible sandwich. I mentioned failing Upward. Well, meet Alex Kurtzman. He and his partner Robert Orsey have been responsible for so much fucking mediocrity in the last twenty years. It is staggering, jumping from that Kevin Sorbo Hercules series to the Island, that fucking awful Michael Bay film. From there to Transformers. You know, when everyone was saying Michael Bay ruined their childhood, even though that movie made billions and spawned too many sequels, that script was by our man Alex Kurtzman. To be fair, he also wrote the horrible scripts for the Amazing Spider Man two and The Mummy with Tom Cruise, which is hilarious considering that film was meant to kick off Universal's misbegotten Dark Universe, where they were attempting to turn the Universal Monsters into the Avengers, a concept that was considered dead until the surprise success of Leewanel's Invisible Man. Somewhere between Transformers and The Mummy, a terrible thing happened. This guy got hold of Star Trek, starting with jj abrams remake of Star Wars as Star Trek in two thousand nine. Kurtzman has been there for everything track since. There were a few writers on that first film, so I can't say for sure who did what I'm gonna say the notion of exiling Kirk on a random planet that they're passing, where he then gets chased by a beast into a cave, where he then runs into alternate timeline Spock, who has just so happened to set up shop there a veritable dais I Spakina, Shut up. I lay the blame for that nonsense on Kurtzman. When I saw his name was attached to the first new series in over a decade, my expectations were not high. So when Star Trek Discovery hit the airwaves, I was shocked. I loved it. I loved setting it just prior to the original series. I loved the aesthetic, I loved the characters. I loved having a complicated, shaded, and potentially morally corrupt character as a lead. I loved the Klingon double Agent, the whole Mirror Universe thing. Everything in that season was aces. I didn't finish the second season. It just felt off.
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 2: Oh, Brian Fuller, the creator of the Hannibal television series, The creator the American Gods television series. That Brian Fuller, the one in the JJ Abrams verse with actual talent, the one who apparently kept nagging Paramount that Star Trek is a television based franchise and maybe they should get back to it, and apparently pitched a series that would base its model on American horror story, with each season being self contained and set in different eras of Starfleet season one before the original series, season two, during the original series, season three, during Next Generation, and on and on into the future we've yet to see. Paramount had him streamline it down to one timeline, so instead of plotting out different stories in different eras, he plotted out one season of Discovery and then bailed, leaving us with Kurtzman and leaving Kurtzman and Discovery adrift for all seasons going forward now This might be a shame on me scenario, because even with all of that precedent, all those terrible stories and half bank characters and lapses in logic and everything the man has written. When I heard he was making a series about a Black Ops division of Starfleet, I kind of got excited.
Speaker 3: No, not kind of.
Speaker 2: The idea of a gritty and oranth series set in and around the Star Trek universe is really fucking tantalizing. Did I say shame on me? This is Star Trek Section thirty one.
Speaker 3: Here's a customer, hope it for a word with you?
Speaker 1: Bring him?
Speaker 2: What are you doing in my space station? I'm giving you a chance to get back in on the action on a galactic scale.
Speaker 1: What a cute idea.
Speaker 3: The only way this works is if I know exactly what I'm dealing with.
Speaker 2: We're facing a threat unlike anything Starfleet's ever seen. Millions of lives are at stake.
Speaker 1: Gather your people who are going to need every one of them. Thirty one is a Black Ops Division spy work. It's just a place for people to lend the rules.
Speaker 2: Start leaders here to make sure no one commits murder.
Speaker 3: Whatever you believed your mission was it's worse than you thought.
Speaker 1: How do we stop it?
Speaker 3: We work together and don't get dead. I'll try my hurtest.
Speaker 1: You. Ready, let's get messy.
Speaker 2: You don't answer her questions directly, she will punch you in your face.
Speaker 1: What you said that she was going to be doing a face punching.
Speaker 3: You have no idea what you've started.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be bad or record one, We survived together Article fourteen, Section thirty one. In times of extreme threat, extraordinary measures must be taken. That's the Starfleet charter y'all. Section thirty one is basically the Wetworks division of the CIA. We first met them on Deep Space nine, where they were represented by William Fuckin Sadler. That's death in Bill and Ted talk about tantalizing. Why didn't they spin the shit off immediately? I'm sure section thirty one showed up in the comics and novels and all of the other apocrypha, but we wouldn't really get them again on screen until Star Trek into Darkness, and there they were hardly themselves, not a clandestine thing at all. They were like some insurrectionist group with an admiral and a giant fucking Starship marauding around speaking of into Darkness screenplay by Alex Kurtzman. There's a scene where Spock has turned in Kirk for some infraction, and before Kirk is able to save the day by throwing a fire hose into the intake of a spacecraft's engine, a fire hose on a spool in the twenty third fucking century. Before that piece of anachronistic idiocy, Kirk refers to Spock's betrayal as being thrown under the bus.
Speaker 3: What bus?
Speaker 2: What the fuck are you talking about? Spaceboy? Oh right, the writers are fucking terrible. That line shouldn't have bothered me as much as it did, but it did. I'm fucking furious about it right now, recalling it. At no point during the writing, reading, rereading, handing the script to others to read and sign off on, and then crew members to build things and actors to interpret them, and no one says, hey, this thing no one was saying last year. We're sure they're going to still be saying it two hundred years from now, right, fuck you. Section thirty one is a wash in that kind of dialogue. Remember the Delvins in Star Trek. The motion pictured the bald girl, super sexy. She was a Delvin They've got one here, and Michelle Yeo calls her a honey trap during the time between Kirk and Picard. The term honeytrap is still being used by a character from a parallel dimension. She was an emperor there, grew up knowing nothing but pain and blood and murder, eventually becoming a genocidal emperor before finding her way into our universe somewhere between slaughtering her own immediate family mom, dad, little brother and attempting a coup. In our universe, Emperor Philippa Giorgio learned and still employs in casual conversation the term honey trap. If that fucking anachronism doesn't grab you, how about calling a guy in a mech suit a Swiss army knife a what Swiss? What's that? That emperor played by Michelle ye first appeared on that well plotted first season of Discs. Evidently Michelle Yo enjoyed playing her so much that it was her suggestion for a spinoff series, So in a way, we weren't getting a section thirty one series without her. But I question her involvement here, not her the character adding the former emperor to a morally questionable part of the United Federation of Planets seems like a natural, but the opening scene of this movie illustrates exactly why she isn't. That's where she murders her family and his crowned emperor while simultaneously branding and breaking the spirit of her only rival, who happens to be her lover. This character is too grand and has too big an arc to be running around and scooby dooing week after week. I keep saying series because that's what this was supposed to be, and they were as far along as having the entire first season scripted, and then there were delays and pandemics in scheduling difficulties, and finally Paramount decided it'd be best to use this as a one off instead. You ever watch a fan cut of some epic trilogy or television series boiling it down to some bastardized reader's digest version, check out Breaking Bad the Movies sometime. That's what this feels like. They took the major arc of the season and turned that into a two hour film. Guess what happens when you do that. Everything suffers. Characters meant to evolve and reveal themselves over the course of a season with their own standalone episodes get boiled down to their base characteristics given through various exposition dumps of clumsy dialogue. Kurtzman has described a series overall as Mission Impossible meets Guardians of the Galaxy. It's not it's Ocean's Eleven meets Guardians of the Galaxy. Actually, it's Ocean's twelve meets Guardians, and I mean just Guardian that twenty seventeen Russian knockoff. The problem with any of those combination is it's bumping up against the fundamental, hopeful, shiny bright future that is Star Trek. Star Trek has had plenty of moral ambiguity in the past, but the characters are always fighting against it.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: They need to lean into the darkness and they just can't. Not helping is having a genocidal mad woman as your lead. How do you sand off of those edges?
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 2: They pay it some lip service and just treat this as if it were any other origin story, and more than undercutting the character's fundamental nature, it makes zero sense she'd be involved in this story at all. It ends up being all about her enter past because that's where the season was going, but she doesn't know that. When she agrees to take her first mission with them, she just kind of does it because the show, i mean, movie needs her to and there's a lot of that, which is frustrating because it nullifies anything that's good. There is an early heist that's pretty ingenious. We get the planning scenario scene with cuts to the potential role of each of the members, and then Michelle ye proposes a different plan, pairing herself and the mcguffin using a device that sets them out of phase, allowing her to walk unobstructed through physical threats and phaser fire and just walk away with the item. It's pretty clever, except they immediately turned it into the big action set piece they had cleverly circumvented. What's worse is that it's a big hand to hand fight scene between Michelle Yeo out of phase against a masked villain also out of phase, with them blinking in and out of existence and robbing the fight of any immediacy. This may be owing to Michelle Yeo's age, She's relying on her cape for most of her acrobatics these days. No judgment, We all know she's a goddess, but it just underlines the complete lack of necessity of this drawn out martial arts display when this is supposed to be an espionage show. For every visual effect that is stunning, and there are a lot, there's an unnecessary chase scene on hovering platforms with even more fisticuffs that is so horribly rendered that you have to worry about these folk. You didn't recognize the irrelevancy of the scene at its core, but then you saw this and you still thought the scene was necessary. Speaking of Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Boomerang is the dude in that Swiss Army knife mech. That's right, every Australian and every show has to be boisterous and unhinged and completely reckless. Other members of the team include team leader Common That's Common, the rapper actor from John Wick and Suicide Squad, except he's not in this. We've got discount Common, or maybe it's common Common just a dull mysterioso with few words and less personality. Sam Richardson shows up as Quasi, the shape shifting comic relief who is not funny and his transformations look remarkably ai in nature. Don't know if it was just looked remarkably as if he were about to start crashing uncontrollably into the walls or eating an oversized hamburger in the next few frames after the cut. I wish this was the final member of the team because it's the only character I enjoyed. But there is another. I have to talk about this one first, though, because that other character I'm gonna be furious after speaking of Lieutenant Rachel Garrett, A regular old human here is played by Casey Roll, and she's fucking great. She completely embodies the spirit of the previous series while slotting nicely in with an idea of where this series could go. I found her performance alive in ways everyone else's wasn't. She seemed like she was on a mission for Starfleet. Everyone else seemed like they were in a sitcom. And I didn't even realize that her character was a younger version of the one from yesterday's enterprise. From the Next Generation, she was originally played by Night Gallery Elam Tricia O'Neill. There. I fucking loved that character, and unknowingly I fucking loved her again here, which leads us to fuzz there have been some pretty annoying characters in Star Trek's seventy year history. But they've done it. They've reached the top of the Paramount Mountain on section thirty one. They've officially created the most annoying character in Star Trek history. A nanosized worm piloting a robot Vulcan. Very fanciful. Oh he's wearing gold chains. Kind of a loose Vulcan. Oh wait, he's talking in the world first fucking Irish accent ever, So this makes it a tiny Irish worm. And for all the unknowing world to see an Irish Vulcan, a manic, unfunny Irish Vulcan. They get a chance to feature a fully emotional Vulcan, and faith and Bacora, they give us this. What's worse is if you hear the actual actor speak, I won't say his name and promote him so great or his crimes. He speaks with an odd South African accent that would be, I don't know, perfect for Star Trek. The character's very presence feels like a reach. Hey, we've never seen this. Yes, there's a good reason in seven decades they haven't done this. I don't want to end negatively, but I'm struggling to continue with anything positive, so I'll say this section thirty one is still a great idea. It was a great idea when they created it for Deep Space nine, and hopefully it will remain a great idea when someone in the future takes the Helmet Star Trek and can do it some justice. I was hoping we'd get the Star Trek equivalent of and or we got the.
Speaker 3: Book of Boba Fat. Oh. That's enough poor genre for the week, young Ripley.
Speaker 2: I know we'll put on some Collin jokes for you in a.
Speaker 3: Minute, Okay, I know.
Speaker 2: As for you, thank you for joining us here at Father Malone's weekly roundup. Be sure to tune in Friday. Antonio Lapourt is back for Anthology's Attack, and we're taking a look at mel Brooks History.
Speaker 3: Of the World Part one. It's Good to be the King.
Speaker 2: If you want to hear it right now, head over to patreon dot com slash Father Malone. Subscribers get to hear everything early and commercial free, and you'll also be able to hear Cable Box Theater where Night Mister Walters and Midnight viewing composer HP and I evaluate the late seventies early eighties cable networks practice of airing Broadway plays, not even musicals, straight up dramas when they were desperate for content. You don't have to be desperate for content. Just head on over to Patreon, or if you can't see yourself paying for this, dude, you can still support us by giving us five stars and sharing the show and reviewing it in a nice manner, nicer than I've been today, or you know, just keep listening. I am going to leave you with a bit from the greatest song ever written.
Speaker 3: It's been a long old getting from there. It's been a long time, but my time is fun me.
Speaker 2: I will see my dream come alive and massive. I will touch the sky and.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna home down no more.
Speaker 2: No, They're not gonna change my mind and save that base of the hall go on the lot.
Speaker 3: Will take men of god base.
Speaker 2: To believe I can do a spell of the soul. You're gonna bend off? All right, That's enough, that's enough, sorry, everybody. We're going to that again.