Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talking like back, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Talk David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium. After the Dodgers shut out the Mariners by a final score of three to nothing, we have phone lines open at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Everybody tells me they have such a hard time getting in. Well, I have news for you. Here's a little tip to call into Dodger Talk. When the team wins. The phone lines are wide open. So that's the best night to get in when you can't get in on other nights. So when a Dodger win happens like it did tonight, a great night to get in. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We have a lot to get to between now and eleven o'clock. We will hear from Max Munsey. In a moment we will share justin Turner addressing the crowd of fifty one thousand, three hundred and forty eight before first pitch, we will share with you what Dave Roberts had to say after yesterday's great performance by Clayton Kershaw. And we will get into even more roster decisions the Dodgers have to make between now and the end of the week. So there's a lot to get to between now and then, and certainly we will hear from all the people that you need to hear from tonight. But let's first start before we get to Max Munsey. Freddie Freeman did not play yesterday because the right middle finger had stiffened up and it was swollen, and he just couldn't grip a bat or let alone throw a baseball. So we never saw Freddy do much of anything except support his teammates on the bench in Saint Louis yes yesterday and today, the Dodgers did take scans of that right middle finger. A CT scan revealed a hairline fracture in that right hand, that right middle finger. And when I arrived at the ballpark today, I saw two sites. The first person I saw on the batting cage was none other than thirty nine year old Justin Turner taking early batting practice. The second person I saw was Freddie Freeman E Merge out of the Dodger Clubhouse to do his pregame work with Dino Ebel, which told me, you know what, he's feeling a little bit better. He wouldn't tip his hand to me at that point in time. He was still going through the progressions of I guess trying to convince the Dodger trainers. Thomas Albert, whose name's been mentioned a few times lately, a great guy, a great trainer, was able to be convinced that Freddy could do everything he needed to do on the baseball field. And we all know how much Freddy really values being out there every day for his team. Tonight was his two thousand and second career game played. So that's one thing you know about Freddie Freeman. He wants to be out there. He'll do whatever it takes to be out there, and he did it again tonight, zero for four. But man, I said this during the Dodger Clubhouse show. No matter what sport it is, whether it's football, basketball, or baseball, when you got something going on, the ball will find you. And tonight it found Freddie Freeman. First base was actually the hot corner tonight. With as much action as Freddie Freeman was getting, I mean he started Josh Rojas double play. He was able to make a great catch there and then step on the bag and then he made a leaping grab of a Cal Rawley line drive. I mean, Freddy was fully extended up in the air, made a great catch. But the real test was when he got a sharp ground ball from Jorge Poalentz and had to try to throw, and he made an accurate throw because it was a tagout there and he was able to tag out Julio Rodriguez. So he was tested tonight at first base and he passed with flying colors eight six, six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. Another Dodger that passed with flying colors was Max Munsei, who homered for the first time since May seventh, to run home run in a three run seventh inning for the Dodgers. Here was Mighty Max after the game.
Speaker 3: That felt really good.
Speaker 4: You know, it was long flung couple months, and considering we couldn't necessarily figure out what was going on, it was a you feel like the season starting to get taken away from you a little bit, and so I would be able to finally come back and play and you know, feel healthy most importantly and do something helped team win.
Speaker 2: It was a pretty cool moment for me. So how did you use field?
Speaker 5: Timing? Wise? Was kind of and back into things that.
Speaker 4: I agree at betsh not necessarily the easiest guy to come back against. You know, that's that's definitely one of the best fastballs in baseball. And you know, our whole team was saying so, so it's I wouldn't say the timing felt great, but you know, like I said, not the best guy to be coming back against, So you know, got to had to. I had a couple of decent abatts, you know, got a good ball and play and you know i'd call that one.
Speaker 6: There's so much public speaking where you were when you get hurt or is this just like where you.
Speaker 4: Like find something that works with where you are physically coming back?
Speaker 2: A little bit of both. You know, the mechanics feel really good.
Speaker 4: Obviously, the timing is not entirely where I want to be, but that's just something that's gonna come with, you know, more more time out there on the field. You know, there's only so much time you can have doing a rehab assignment, and so it's a you know, timming is not exactly where I want to be, but mechanically it feels pretty good.
Speaker 2: All right. There's Max Munsey on sports net LA, a successful return to the Dodgers starting lineup for the first time since May fifteenth. He had the oblique injury, and then earlier today he explored a lower ribcage issue that was corrected and that's when he finally got over the hump to be able to take the next steps to get back and play like he was out here tonight. So a good thing for Max Mounsey to be back. And another part of the dimension that Max Munsey brings is that he's a tough out. Yes, he strikes out, Yes, I think you can consider him a three true outcome player, but he does make the opposing pitcher throw a lot of pitches, and tonight thirteen pitches were seen by Max Munsey in all of zat bats. Maybe not on the higher end, but certainly significant. And he was referencing Brian wu who Rick Monday said was trying to bust left handers in with the fastball. He let one leak over the plate against Gavin Lucks. Gavin Lux made him pay for it, and Munsey hit his home run off of former Dodger Yimi Garcia eight six, six, nine, seven two five seventy. Dodgers shut out the Mariners and maintain their lead in the NL West. Three games over the Padres, four games over the Diamondbacks. Let's go out to Andy in Pasadena. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. Andy. Hey, dB, how you doing fantastic.
Speaker 7: First time calling a longtime listener.
Speaker 2: Man, Hey, there you go. See I told you on a Dodger win. That's a great night to get in.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, I was just actually wondering what you thought about Roberts taking out Gavin after ninety pitches in the seventh. I did his job a little bit more to go.
Speaker 2: He did his job. He's pitched more innings than he ever has in his professional career. It was his twenty third start of the year. He had gone through three or four starts where he did not look like himself. So I think he did the right thing. I absolutely know he did the right thing by taking him out there. He did more than his job tonight.
Speaker 7: No, I agree. I just feel like it was nice seeing him in his groove. He was He was consistent the whole the whole game. That's why I was like a little bummed out. He took him out a little bit sooner. I thought he at least go one hundred maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he did pitch a complete game, shutout and go one hundred pitches. But considering what has taken place the second half of the season with Gavin Stone, I feel like Dave Roberts was just trying to preserve him moving forward, because even though he went five innings in Milwaukee, it wasn't as easy as it was tonight. The previous two starts before that, he never got out of the fifth inning. So that's the reason why.
Speaker 8: No, No, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 7: I'm just I'm just voicing my opinion.
Speaker 5: That's all.
Speaker 7: But another note, it's good to see Max Munty back.
Speaker 5: At it again.
Speaker 7: I mean, what the world is right?
Speaker 2: I mean world is right and and honestly, Andy, thank you for the phone call. Call back anytime. Dodger win nights are usually an easy night to get in.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, I'll be calling again, all right, Andy.
Speaker 2: For the phone call. You look at the Dodger lineup tonight, first night. Max Munsey's been back since May and Tommy Edmund made his Dodger debut. This is a problem lineup for the rest of Major League Baseball one through nine, and if Will Smith ever gets his back going again, it's an even bigger problem for the rest of Major League Baseball moving forward. You look at it, not only the three MVPs ta Oscar Hernandez, who's an ambush homer power threat, followed by Gavin Lux, Will Smith, Max Munsey, Miguel Rojas and Tommy Edmund making his Dodger debut hitting ninth. I mean, tell me another starting lineup in baseball that can stack it one through nine like that, And tonight was just the first night we saw it. Give it some time, and similar to what we're used to seeing with Dodger offenses. They may not get to the starting pitcher as far as scoring four or five runs, but they're going to get him out of the game and get to the opposing team's bullpen like they did tonight in the seventh inning. Now, Brian Wu was really good. You heard Max Munsey say it maybe the best fastball the Dodgers have faced all season long. But Lux got the home run Wu hit Will Smith. That's when Yeemi Garcia came in and Max Munsey was able to take advantage. So to me, if you can tell me another team one through nine that has this type of lineup, I would love to know eight six, six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. Let's go out to the LBC. Joe, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey, Dave, how you doing? Man?
Speaker 2: It was a great night at Dodgers Stadium. Joe, how you doing out there? Where are you ahead at Phil Trainey's.
Speaker 5: Oh no, it's actually kind of dead out here doing lift for now? But get your driver, yes, sir?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you called me one time you had some passengers down at Belmont Shours in your back seat.
Speaker 9: Get there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Joe, you're the most famous lyft driver out there in Long Beach.
Speaker 5: Hey, listen, I just want to hear get your opinion on Walker Buehler bombs tomorrow. I mean, what are we going to do? Are we going to just let him walk?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 2: Joe, that's that is the biggest question tomorrow night, because you saw Gavin Stone and what he was able to do against the worst offense in the American League, lowest batting average, strikes out more than any other team in the American League. If Walker Buehler can't get his season back on track against this team. I mean, how long is the least going to be The Dodgers need to win games. This is not tryout camp anymore.
Speaker 5: So what do we do. Do We let him walk at the end of the season, and I sure hate to see him. You know, we can go to another team then come back, and.
Speaker 2: I know I would not like to see that either. That's something to be determined at the end of the year. He's on this team until the final out of whenever. He's not going anywhere as far as them just cutting ties, but I think everybody needs to be realistic about the fact that they're in a division race and they can't just punk games every fifth game. And also the domino effect Walker Bueller goes only three or four innings all of a sudden, Dave Roberts has to go to his bullpen, and then it's a little short the next day and maybe the two days after. So it's not just about bueller starts, it's the effects it has on the days after. So you know, he said he could build off his last start in Milwaukee. I hope so, because I love Walker Bueller when he's right, he is tremendous and when he's right, there's very few pitchers I would rather have on the mound for a big game. But he hasn't been right all season long.
Speaker 5: Right right? I mean think thing with Bobby Miller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, Bobby Miller's here because Tyler Glass now went on the il. So hopefully he can get his season on track. And he's probably only going to make maybe one more, maybe two more starts, depending on what the Dodgers see with Walker Buehler tomorrow night. But honestly, Joe, that's that's the giant elephant in the room tomorrow night. How long of a leash do the Dodgers give Walker Bueller if things don't go well tomorrow? Thanks for the phone call, be safe out there in Long Beach. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Mariners fall to the Dodgers tonight, three to nothing. And before the game, Justin Turner got a big standing ovation from fifty one thousand plus when the starting lineups were introduced. Then the Dodgers did a great highlight tribute of his nine year career with the Dodgers, and then after all that, there was more the Dodgers presented Justin Turner and his wife Courtney with a ten thousand dollars check to the Justin Turner Foundation, and also gave him a nice framed photo thing of three big moments in his Dodger career, including his walk off home run in Game two of the twenty seventeen NLCS, and Justin was definitely leaning into the emotions of the night and addressed it and addressed the fifty one thousand and three forty eight here at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 11: What's up, La, I'm notoriously long window, so I'll try to keep this short. I just want to say, from the bottom of my heart, Courtney Bo, thank you guys so much for nine of the most incredible years of my life. From top to bottom, ownership, front office, staff, players, you guys made this one of the most special times. And I can't say thank you enough. This time in his uniform has meant the world to me and Dodger fans. You guys are truly amazing. You always have a special spot in my heart.
Speaker 2: So thank you. That was a great moment at Dodgers Stadium, and I love the Dodger fans saluting one of the best Dodgers, most popular Dodgers in the last ten years, Justin Turner, who certainly provided a lot of great moments over his nine years with the Dodgers, and look, hopefully it comes full circle, whether it's a situation like Matt kemp last homestand where he signs a ceremonial one day contract and retires as a Dodger, or if somehow someway during this offseason, Justin Turner and the Dodgers find their way back to each other. It would be great for Justin Turner to play his final season in the big leagues in a Dodger uniform. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have three lines open. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll get into our Kershaw appreciation. As oral Herscheizer likes to say, what a tremendous outing yesterday for Clayton Kershaw. Even with all these fancy new toys, he turns out to be the guy that when you need him the most, he delivers, And he did that again yesterday. And we'll also hear from Chris Taylor, who is on his way back as well. Dodgers shut out the Mariners three to nothing on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com, and available my podcast Stun the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: This is Dodger tongue with name it best in two two Dama Schlings hits a drying left center fielders teat heading back to the wall.
Speaker 11: It is.
Speaker 2: It's a home run Turk. Gavin Loucks Ama Dodgers lead it won nothing walks with home run number nine on the season. Gavin Lucks red hot since the All Star break, since he saw his uncle Aggy Schmidt, who got him right, hitting three sixty six. Since that Wisconsin summer party where Uncle Aggy took him into the batting cage and set him straight, he has been fantastic for the Dodgers, and he got the first run on the board tonight with a one out home run off of Brian wu. The Dodgers would score three runs in that seventh inning thanks to a two run home run by Max Munsey, who played his first game since May, hitting a two run shot off of former Dodger Yimi Garcia. That would be the final score of three to nothing Dodgers over the Mariners. Daniels Jewelers they are the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers owned the Dream eight six, six, nine, seven, two, five seventy. David Vasse with you until eleven o'clock tonight live from Dodgers Stadium. And as we mentioned, Max Munsey made his return off the IL, and also Tommy Edmund was activated off the IL, making his Dodger debut. He got his first hit as a Dodger in the seventh inning with a single. And to activate those two players, the Dodgers had to have tough conversations with two others. Andy Pahez, who basically has been here since middle of May when James Outman was really not effective defensively or offensively. The Dodgers did not want to lose any players. Pojz obviously has options, so they had to option Andy pohes back to Oklahoma City, and they also had to designate for assignment shortstop Nick Ahmed, who they picked up while Miguel Rojas was injured with right forearm strains. So those were the two corresponding moves. And Chris Taylor is on the horizon to return some point on this homestand and to do. I don't know what the Dodgers are going to do, and as they like to say, a lot can happen between now and then, which we have seen injuries have been an issue. Speaking of injuries, before we get to Taylor and how the Dodgers get him on the roster, Austin Barnes went on the il before today's game because yesterday he took a foul off his big left toe and it fractured his big left toe. He was bleeding throughout the game, bleeding a lot after the game, and certainly that shows his toughness that he was able to catch the rest of the game from the third inning on. So kudos to Austin Barnes and part of the reason why his teammates have so much respect for him to be able to catch through all that. And the Dodgers called up Hunter Fiducca, who is acting as the backup catcher right now for Will Smith. So that's another part of the roster moves that were made today. As far as Chris Taylor goes, Chris Taylor told me earlier today that he has made some noticeable swing changes during this time of rehabbing his groin injury, and he feels like he is starting to get in sync offensively. Chris Taylor is not going anywhere. He is going to be activated on this homestand and Kevin Kiermaier has been outstanding for the Dodgers on a game like tomorrow where Dave Roberts said he's going to play Tommy Edmond at shortstop that Kevin Kiermeyer to me, is the automatic in center field. Now. The Dodgers are in a tough spot for a number of different reasons. With Jason Hayward, who has not had a great year. He's only hitting two oh three, his OPS is six point fifty eight. He's been relegated to the bench, with Mookie Betts now the everyday right fielder. I don't know how you do it, but you can't let Kevin Kiermeyer get away. Kevin Kiermeyer to me, should be on this playoff roster. Uh So I'm not Brandon Gomes, I'm not Andrew Friedman, but you better find a way to keep Kevin Kiermeyer on this roster because not only has he been great defensively, he has been a great teammate and he also has come through with the bat. So he's a valuable asset and I feel like the Dodgers are going to find a way to keep Kevin Kiermeyer. They have to, And I know they're in a tough spot with Jason Hayward, but right now, Kevin Kiermeyer is more valuable than Jason Hayward, and I don't think either one should be let go. I'm not sure how you do that, but to me, Kevin Kiermeyer is the more valuable player right now with the way he's playing and the defense he's been playing. Just another tough decision for the Dodgers. Moving forward, eight six, six, seven, two five seventy Dodgers shut out the Mariners three to nothing. Let's go out to Corvallis, Oregon. Donovan, you're on Dodger Talk. Thanks for being patient.
Speaker 6: Hey, what's up, guys?
Speaker 2: Hey Donovan, I'm sorry.
Speaker 12: Can you can you hear it?
Speaker 2: I can?
Speaker 12: We're just gonna say one of our favorite callers is usually at the last of the night and it's Dizzy, and I wanted to give her a shout out.
Speaker 2: Okay, hello is he She's not on hold tonight, Donovan.
Speaker 12: Oh okay, and just looking looking forward, I think this is our team's looking the band aid is ripped off and we're kind of.
Speaker 2: I would say, the band back on because everybody's healthy, that's what.
Speaker 12: Yeah, like we're we're coming back together. So yeah, it's Kershaw the other night. Fantastic pitching game tonight with our hitting and just like in our pitching game has been really good.
Speaker 2: All right, Donovan, thanks a lot for the phone call and thanks for listening to us up there in Corvallis, Oregon. Let's go out to Mohammed and Azusa. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Mohammed, Hey, Dave, I'm doing great.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, thanks for being the call our good win today. I just wanted to say we had a I was good to see Gavin Stolen go seven and Dave Roberts didn't take him out, you know, doing that five and two thirds thing, so I was happy about that.
Speaker 2: Well, he was well enough not to take him out at very well five and two.
Speaker 6: Thirds, absolutely autely and apart from that, just a few shout out Freddy with the finger, you know, showing that he can play with injuries. It's awesome. Lucks coming around was awesome, and I've just come to I just wanted your thoughts, like I feel like, speaking of pitching and stuff, I just feel like our like you said Elson in the room, right with the situation tomorrow, I just feel like our pitching is not obviously up to par which we thought we were gonna have. I just feel like it's time for us to hopefully with this kind of comeback Monksy coming back doing.
Speaker 5: A great job.
Speaker 6: I hope our offense goes into the offensive groove that we can like pull away so far ahead from teams that are pitching, you know, like it doesn't affect us as much. So I just want to get your thoughts on that. But thank you for thinking my call. I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would hope that Dodgers would be scoring more runs and giving their pictures a little bit more breathing room, especially later in the games. It was nice to see Joe Kelly come in and have a clip eighth inning and protect a three to nothing lead. Great to see Evan Phillips retire the Mariners in order as well for his sixteenth save. So hopefully all that starts to come together. And really, you know, here's the Kershaw appreciation that I feel like we all take for granted. This guy is coming off major shoulder surgery. He's put in a lot of work in discipline to find a way to come back sooner than expected. And I'm sure many of you out there were very skeptical about the version of Kershaw you would get and whether or not he would even finish the season, whether or not he was going to be effective. But every start he has gotten better, and yesterday was maybe, in fact not maybe it was his best start since coming off the il and best start since that left shoulder surgery. Six scoreless innings, only seventy pitches. If you think back to this last seven game home road trip, the Dodgers won four games. The winning pitcher of two of them was Clayton Kershaw. Clayton Kershaw only had a two to nothing cushion yesterday, and he still pitched outstanding And you have to believe at thirty six years old, he says the shoulders feeling great, which I do believe, But how about the rest of his body? You think the rest of his body is feeling terrific at this stage of his career. I would bet against that. But he's pitching through any aches or pains and going out there and being that stopper, being that ace yet again, at this stage of his career. The Dodgers invested a lot of money in Tyler Glass now and Yoshi Yamamoto, But here we are again Clayton Kershaw being the guy the Dodgers need big time, and they needed a big time start yesterday to come away with a winning road trip and take two out of three from Saint Louis. Without that start yesterday, the Dodge don't win that game in Saint Louis. But yet again, when the Dodgers need Clayton Kershaw the most, he delivers. Do we all appreciate that? Do we all realize that all these shiny new toys don't stand up to a guy like Kershaw, who has meant more to this franchise than any other player or pitcher that I can think of in a long time. And after the game yesterday I talked about it with Dave Roberts, what does.
Speaker 13: It say about Kershaw and what he means to your team even at this stage of his career. I mean, there were a lot of new acquisitions to help stabilize your rotation, and he seems now that he's back to be that guy again.
Speaker 10: I think it's it's a it's a you know, it's a message to everyone as far as you're not always going to be feeling your best and you still got to go out there and find a way to perform and help the ball club win. And so you know, certainly for the young guys that you know, with the stuff he's going out there, you know it's not ninety five ninety seven, but with the command the grit to throw strikes to get ahead of hitters, you know, you can go out there and still pitch deep into a game. So I think that's something that, you know, all of our guys need to take note of.
Speaker 2: And that's not just the young guys, the rookies like Gavin Stone. Everybody in this rotation is younger than Kershaw. So I feel not only did Kershaw send a message, but I feel like Dave Roberts sent a message to everybody else in this Dodger rotation and on this pitching staff, and Gavin Stone certainly delivered tonight seven scoreless sinnings, only throwing ninety pitches and had a career high ten strikeouts. Oh, by the way, I think you can give Kershaw an assist as well, because the day he wasn't pitching, even though the Dodgers turned out to lose that game, he was still watching the game and try to help his team win by paying attention when the Brewers Joey Ortiz did not touch second base when there was a fly ball that was that dropped and Ortiz going back towards first did not touch second base on the way to third base. Who was the guy that was paying attention to that? It was Clayton Kershaw. So a big road trip for him. And you know, it's fine to love all these other guys, but you know I've tried to explain this to you many times before. Don't doubt the great ones. They will come through for you. And when October rolls around, I'm sure the Dodgers are going to need Kershaw to pick them up a few times, and I have no doubts he will be able to do it. Let's go out to Westchester. Gabe. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Gabe?
Speaker 5: Well, what's going on?
Speaker 12: Dave?
Speaker 8: I was gonna talk about Gavintone, But I really what you just said about Kershaw is so accurate and something I've spoken to for years as far as like I get the analytics of the game, and I get when you try to play the analytics with getting lineups that are built around that. But there's just something to be said for not only veteranship, but just Hall of Fame level pitching and Hall of Fame level experience. And that's been Clayton Kershaw for the last ten fifteen years.
Speaker 5: We've had him.
Speaker 8: That's who he is. So I have one hundred percent agree with you on that, and anyone who doesn't really see that they haven't been watching that said going into the night Gavin Stone. The two things on that one, I think he threw pitches I haven't seen him throw all year. Didn't he throw six different or something like that? He normally throws four. I think the thing that really stood out to me more than his bad starts he's had, is he was attacking people. I think he didn't get behind in towns as much. I mean, he walked a couple guys, but he was going after hitters, and this is like, don't let their batting stats confuse you. These are very capable hitters. Randy Rosereene is known to Scott that obviously, Justin Turner, we know who he is. Rodriguez is amazing. I love the Mariners. They're my second team behind the Dodgers. But I think Gavin Stone went after them. I think he was fearless, and I think that's the player we need, especially going into October, because that's who he was when he was hot at the beginning of the year and when you were so.
Speaker 5: High on him.
Speaker 8: And one thing I wanted to ask you, Dave, is really just going into we got the Maritors, and we got the Raids, and we got the Orioles. That is a really hard stretch. Those are two good teams in the AL and then one of I think the best team in the AL. What are going to be the keys in your opinion to getting through that, especially without Tyler Glass now, especially where we're going against some of the best pitchers in the league. I just want to hear what you see us needing to do. The Dodgers needed to do to at least go above five hundred and hopefully win all three series.
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you for the phone call. Good call. Call back anytime, Gabe, and I will say this, we get so caught up in offense. But when the Dodgers have won games this year, it's because of their starting pitchers going at least six innings. That's how they got off to such a large lead in the NL West. It seemed like virtually every night their starter was giving them at least six innings, including guys like Gavin Stone and I'm with you. He did attack tonight, but part of the reason why he was in the strike zone so much is because he worked on being more directional to home plate. That's what he told us before yesterday's game in our pregame interview, and he executed that today. And his change up was on point tonight. So the fastball and the changeup played off each other really well. He had his slider working tonight, so he even threw in a sweeper, and you know, he's come up with the cutter against lefties, but there weren't too many lefties in the Mariners lineup tonight. He only had a couple of them, plus a couple of switch hitters. So you know he did phase four lefties tonight, but he wasn't relying on the cutter against them. He was throwing a slider a lot, and he was attacking with his fastball and just saying, hit it. I got guys behind me. I think he saw something from Kershaw yesterday where you know you can trust your defense and Gavin Stone's not chasing strikeouts. He can get them when he needs them. But tonight a career high ten strikeouts. So going back to your question, that's what it comes down to. Against good teams, you've got to have your starting pitcher keep you in the game for at least five or six innings. And with the Dodger lineup now becoming whole, uh, this is a whole new ballgame because three weeks ago, if you looked at the Dodger lineup, it looked like shoe Hey Otani was surrounded by the twenty twenty three Angels. That's how it looked with all the injuries. Really, I mean look at it, it was it was on par with that caliber surrounding Otani. But now all of a sudden, you got Mookie back, you got Freddie Back, Tay Oscar, Gavin Lux, Will Smith, Max Munsey, Rojas, Tommy Edmond. I mean one through nine, this is such a different lineup than it was even two weeks ago. You can't even compare it. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Seal Beach. Joey, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Joey?
Speaker 5: Are you doing?
Speaker 3: Dave?
Speaker 14: I wanted to bring up a quick, quick, something quick that I saw tonight. I just uh with with a guy coming back Muncie and and getting help from Edmund and Kiermier being a guy to just out of nowhere. It just it just felt like tonight this is the team that, uh that's gonna ultimately go to the World Series and I hope win the World Series.
Speaker 2: Who you're saying World Series now?
Speaker 14: I mean, I mean, it just feels like we have all the right pieces and Max Monty's batting eight like that is crazy.
Speaker 7: That that that's insane.
Speaker 3: So it's just.
Speaker 7: Oh seventh, I'm sorry, and then uh, out of the bullpen, Kopek just lights.
Speaker 14: Out out of nowhere, I mean hopefully tried and comes.
Speaker 9: Back hopefully see hopefully we get.
Speaker 14: Some some arms back and that bullpen is gonna be lights out too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm that weapon is Joey the Bazooka Bruce Star graderol. He only has a Grade one hamstring strain. He's supposed to throw a bullpen session this week. So everybody thought his season was over when he was helped off the field. But he may come back in September and that would be a big boost to the bullpen, which has been used quite a bit. Thanks for the phone call, Joey, appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out the Mariners three to nothing. They maintain a three game lead over the second place Padres, who won tonight. The Arizona Diamondbacks also won tonight. Jock Peterson homered again. The Diamondbacks are four games back of the Dodgers in the NL West. Let's go out to Bob and Whittier. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse. How you doing, Bob.
Speaker 9: I'm doing great, man, it's it's it's a fun time to be a Dodgers man. I think you agree. Even with all the injuries that seem to be hitting us every other game, but you know, they just find a way. And I just wanted to add I'm sure you've talked about this already, but Gavin Lux like that, that might be one of the most surprising things that I've seen this year. Like you could argue that he has arguably been our most consistent hitter and one of the best players to really put momentum back in the game. He's even on pitches that he's missing, you know, when he's swinging and missing, there's such an aggressive approach that you know he's slowly forming himself into, you know. And I just wonder where this team would be right now if he wasn't as hot, and I think that.
Speaker 2: You know where it would be. It would be a lot different looking team because Gavin Lux probably would be in the spot that Jason Hayward is in right now. Mookie Betts would be the Dodgers second baseman, and they would have had to platooned in right field with Hayward and PAHs. So he's been a huge boost, and I agree with you. He looks like a more confident player. He looks like a player that has slowed down the game tremendously, and you're right, we did not see any signs of this in the first half of the year, but as I reminded you, he was coming off a huge right knee Achilles injuries, so it did take time for him to kind of let loose be confident on that leg. And I think we're seeing the sign the patients the Dodgers showed paying off with him.
Speaker 9: Yes, and also crazy stat too. He's probably been one of our best hitters. I was reading a stat where with runners on he's hitting like three fifty three this year. I think you have to keep him in the five spot too. I know, you know months he's a huge bat, and I know there's a lot of history there, but the way that Lux is playing right now, I don't think there's any way you take him unless he's going through a horror, horrific slump. You keep him at the fifth and you just have Monty, you know, hit six or seventh, because that just makes the lineup even more dangerous, and it's.
Speaker 2: A good problem to have, Bob, considering, like I was saying, we're the Dodger lineup was a couple of weeks ago without Freddy, without Mooki without Monsey, without Edmund, it's a good problem to have when you're talking about all these players and pump the brakes on the batting average with runners in scoring position. It's not three point fifty, but it's three nineteen and he's been tremendous just putting bat on ball to score run. So I'm with you on that, Bob. Thanks for the phone call. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy. Let's go out to Gilberto and San Diego. You're our final caller tonight. Hi, Gilberto ol with us. Oh total bien ghanamo stenoce ganamos.
Speaker 3: And you know I wanted to call Yester, but you weren't on the air. I mean, isow kersher yesterday, And I'm so happy for him. He feels good. He knows and you will mention it. He knows he doesn't have that ninety seven miles for our fastball, and I was telling callin that he reminded me of great Maddox. He didn't have that great fastball, but he knew where to put it and his crew ball was so amazing. I'm very happy that he's back and I'm looking forward for him to do a great, great performance in the playoffs, because that's what he deserves and he has been working for that, and I'm so happy the Dodgers didn't let him go anywhere, and I hope he retired as a Dodger whatever how many years he's got left, I really do.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the Rangers are kicking themselves for not taking the opportunity to try to sign Kershaw because if they make a pitch to him, who knows. Maybe he's in Texas right now pitching well for them, but this is where he belongs to Gilberto. This will not be his final season. He will be back next year as well. But I'm with you. I would love nothing more than to see Clayton Kershaw riding in a parade float down Figueroa. I think that would just be a capper on his Hall of Fame career. And I know the Dodgers one and twenty, but I wanted a parade for all these guys and they never got it. So La needs a parade really bad. I feel like that would bring the city together and it would be the first Dodger parade we have seen in this city since nineteen eighty eight. So I hope Kershaw and the Dodgers are able to deliver that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and one more seeing they've had two players that I have are making a big difference this year, Austin Barnes and Miguel Rojas. I know Tanny has the numbers, I know that, but Miguel Rojas is the glue that has kept that team together. And kudos to Gavin Lux for figuring it out. I'm really happy for this team.
Speaker 2: Now, all right, Gilberto, thank you for the phone call. That's a great way to end the show. Tonight, Dodgers shut out the Mariners three to nothing. Justin Turner makes his first return back to Dodgers Stadium since signing with the Red Sox. Austin did not come here last year. Toronto did not come here. The Dodgers went to both cities the last couple of years, so if Justin was not traded to the Mariners, he would have had to wait maybe another year, and who knows if he would have ever got this opportunity. So it was a great start and finished to the night as Justin Turner was honored and the Dodgers shut out his Mariners three to nothing. Now tomorrow, game two of this three game series between the Dodgers and Mariners. The Dodgers are twenty one to twelve against American League teams, including tonight, and they're playing fourteen of their next eighteen against American League opponents. Walker Buehler a critical start for him tomorrow night. He's one in five with an ERA of five point fifty eight. He's going up against Bryce Miller, who is nine to seven with an ERA of three twenty nine. It's ta Oscar Hernandez Bobblehead Night here at Dodgers Stadium. The first forty thousand fans in attendance will receive Taascar Hernandez home run derby winning bobblehead Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow, with first pitch at seven to ten. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald back here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. And that's also where you could hear our pregame conversation with Gavin Stone yesterday and Hunter Fiducca today, newly called up Hunter Fiducca with Austin Barnes going on the tendil with a fractured big left toe coming up next that bum Ben Maller on Fox Sports Radio once again. The final score tonight from Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers shut out the Mariners three to nothing. Have a great rest of your night. Happy to be back see them SA