Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 2: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 3: It is five o'clock. Stir right up, good morning. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Thursday, June twenty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We're almost done with June now, Oh my god, just over a week until the fourth of July. I'm expecting the fireworks to start going off anytime now.
Speaker 3: It's crazy here for the fourth of July.
Speaker 2: And then you'll get notices on your your little camera phone things.
Speaker 4: There's a camera phone.
Speaker 3: I'll get notices on my camera phone camera, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It'll be now by the fireworks.
Speaker 1: The fireworks set off your ring cameras. Oh great, all right. We actually have a story about the fourth of July coming up in just a second.
Speaker 3: But here's what's ahead on wake Up Call.
Speaker 1: A man suspected of shooting two teens in a way More driverless vehicle over the weekend's been arrested after running away from and allegedly shooting a Santa Monica police officer. The officer was shot in the hand yesterday. Police tracked the guide down and arrested him about three hours later.
Speaker 3: The officer's going to be okay.
Speaker 1: Iran's supreme leader Ali Kamine has claimed.
Speaker 3: Victory over Israel.
Speaker 1: In his first public statement, send us a ceasefire between Israel and Iran. Kamene said Iran delivered a slap in the face to the US at the NATO summit yesterday. President Trump said the US and Iran would be holding more talks next week. We're going to be talking more about this with ABC's Jordana Miller in Jerusalem at five twenty.
Speaker 3: Diddy's trial is almost done.
Speaker 1: Closing arguments in rapper Sean Combs's trial are expected today Tomorrow. ABC's Peter Harralumbus is gonna tell us did the prosecution make the case to get a conviction.
Speaker 3: That's coming up in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: We're going out and about to one of my favorite places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm talking about Disneyland.
Speaker 1: There's always new things to discover at Disneyland, and I found something new and fun to do during the park's seventieth birthday celebration. I'm going to tell you about that coming up at the bottom of the hour, and the Annenberg Wallace Wildlife Crossing is headed into its next and final phase. It's one step closer to the opening of the world's largest wildlife crossing. We're gonna find out more with the California Regional director of the National Wildlife Federation, Best Pratt. That's coming up at five point fifty. So excited that the Mountain lions are gonna have a place to cross the road. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. With just over a week until the fourth of July, officials in La City and County are reminding you that personal fireworks are not allowed. La City Interim Fire Chief Ronnie Vianueva says the department responds to hundreds of additional calls every Independence Day.
Speaker 4: Fireworks are responsible for causing unnecessary fire fire loss to structures and vehicles throughout Los Angeles every year.
Speaker 1: Vianueva and other local officials are encouraging people to go to community fireworks events instead. They say, anyone who violates the law is going to be fined. News brought to you by American Vision Windows A memorial service is being held today for the Baldwin Park police officer who was killed in the line of duty last month. Officer Samuel Riveros was shot to death in a shootout with a man with a rifle on May thirty first. The service is being held at the Toyota Arena in Ontario. Riveros was a nine year veteran of the police department, an avid snowboarder, and a passionate Dodgers fan. The Justice Department is suing the Orange County Registrar of Voters to get records on the office us his efforts to remove ineligible voters. It accuses the county of not keeping an accurate voter list. An Orange County Board of Supervisors Vice chairwoman Katrina Foley says the registrar is complying with state law by not turning over some of the information and says the county has been doing its job to eliminate bogus voters. Police in Corona have a warning for parents.
Speaker 6: With temperatures on the rise in summer months, Corona police say stop leaving your kids in the car. The warning comes after police rescue a distressed baby from a locked car last week. They say the engine was off, windows up, and tempts top one hundred degrees inside the car. Officials say you should never leave a child unattended in a car for any length of time. Make it a habit to check the back seat before walking away, place a personal item in the back seat, like a purse or briefcase, and ask a childcare provider to call if your child doesn't show up for care. Heather Brooker KFI.
Speaker 1: News Hollywood could soon have its first public potties.
Speaker 7: Council members have authorized negotiations for a lease for a new visitors center at a property on Vine Street near the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Councilman Hugo Sodo Martinez says the project will be a hub for visitors and a place to address the basic needs of unhoused people.
Speaker 8: Before you start pooh pooing this motion, these bathrooms will be clean, fully staffed, and part of the new visitor.
Speaker 7: Center, according to Sodo Martinez's office. The community has expressed support for the project, which should be complete in about a year. Eileen Gonzalez k a fine news.
Speaker 3: Okay, I gotta share just one thing.
Speaker 1: When we were in Paris, they have these weird little like it looks like a kiosk, and you can go in and use the restroom, and there was It's weird because it's not even a full door. It's like a swinging door, and so you step in and the door closes, and then you can see people's legs from underneath, and then you can also see the stream of urine coming out of it.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and in Hollywood, what could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's say good morning now at five oh seven two, ABC's investigative reporter Peter Haralambus, Good morning, Peter.
Speaker 4: Good morning.
Speaker 5: Amy has its own good.
Speaker 1: So, this trial feels as like it's been just going on forever, but the trial of Sean Comb's is finally coming to a close.
Speaker 4: Where are we now, Yeah, it's finally ending. We're entering closing statements today and tomorrow. It's been over thirty days of testimony, thirty four different witnesses, and today we're going to hear four hours of closing statements from prosecutors. They've tried to prove that Combs used his business empire as really a criminal organization, and there wars saying that he used that the Coorset woman into sex and then used violence and threats to keep them quiet to protect his reputation. That's going to be followed by three hours of defense closings on Friday morning, then a very lengthy charge conference. It's possible that the jury doesn't put in their deliberations until Monday morning at this point.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, and before everybody rested their case or whatever, Combs did not take the stand, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. His team didn't even put on much of a defense case. They called no witnesses for about an hour. They showed the jury some evidence that they put into the record, but otherwise Combs declined the right to testify in his own defense and basically left the burden all on the prosecutors for this case.
Speaker 1: Okay, and there are several charges on the table. The jury's going to have to decide on all of them. So and are they going to have do they? What are their options?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So they have five choices here. The first and the most serious talent is the racketeer at conspiracy. That's the idea that Comb's conspired with others at least two other crimes that carries the possibility of life in prison, and that applies to all the victims in the case. The next four counts are two counts of sex trafficking and two counts of transportation to engage in prostitution. The first half relates Cassie Ventura, the second half relates to the victim known as Jane, that's one of Combs's ex girlfriends. Basically, if they convict on that top count or sex trafficking, Comeb's face of the possibility of life in prison. If they convict only on the lower counts, that transportation to engage in prostitution count, it's a much lighter sentence. We're looking at perhaps two to four years for Comb. So it really matters how they look at this case. There's a world in which even gets convicted and that's still a win for his team because he's only convicted on the lower counts.
Speaker 1: Okay, and didn't prosecutor yesterday Peter drop some of the charges.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they kind of they tried to streamline their case yesterday. So basically, when it comes to that racketeering count, they need to prove that Comb's committed two underlying crimes, and they gave the jury originally a list of nine different predicate acts that that could be included. They ultimately whittled that down slightly. They got rid of the attempt at arson for example, and the attempted kidnapping predicates, kind of taking those off the table for the jury to count. But there was still a ton of different options. At the end of the day, the real the actual count, the criminal's charge of sex trafficking is still on the table for this jury. They just have a fewer options to actually get to that point when it comes to the actual underlying crimes that comes committed.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you know, we've kind of not seen but we've gotten the sanitized view of this. But the jury in this case has gotten an eyeful and an earful They've looked at videos of the freak offs and all of that stuff. So I know that we talked about this a couple of weeks ago. The prosecution has pretty much shown that Sean Combs is not a good guy. But do you think they've proved that he's a criminal?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the big question here. I think at the end of the day, it's you know, that's all I from the jury for that. I think they've shown an overwhelming amount of evidence here for some of the under some of those lower counts, right, And I think that might be where the defense gets a win in that, Like it's hard to dispute, for example, that he paid for me al escorts to travel across state lines for the purposes of sex. The jury has seen the records, the defense has kind of openly admitted that he engaged in this kind of sexual activity. So I think that that's kind of an easier question for the jury. Then the more complicated, you know, was all of this coercive question, because that's really the underlying question for the racketeering and this sex trafficking account. Did these women engage in this willfully or was this something that comes force them into That's a line that we've seen blurred throughout this case, this question of consentrous coercion. And I think it's really up to these closing statements so the prosecutors and the defense to tie together the overwhelming amount of evidence we've seen. I think to a certain degree, the jury is tired of hearing all of this stuff.
Speaker 5: It exhau.
Speaker 4: I think these closing statements will really matter in terms of putting it together cohesively in a story that they believe and they're willing to act on when it comes to convicting or quitting.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got closing arguments today and tomorrow.
Speaker 4: That's right, And there's a possibility we begin to liberations on Friday, but more likely it begins on two on Monday morning.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Peter har Alambus, thank you so much for the update and the information.
Speaker 3: We appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks are right, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The man mistakenly swept up in an Ice raid then sent to an Al Salvador prison before being returned to the US is going to remain in jail for at least a few more days. Attorneys are battling over whether they can prevent Kilmar Abrago Garcia's deportation if he gets released while he's waiting for trial on charges that he was a human trafficker. The new Jersey congresswoman charts with assaulting federal officers outside an Ice detention center has pleaded not guilty. Lamonica mc iver was arrested during a routy protest outside the detention center last month. If convicted, she could get eight years in prison outside the Courthouse yesterday, MacIvor said she will be vindicated. Stock markets are hovering near record highs, and investors say it shows worries about tariffs and the US getting involved in fighting in the Middle East are easing up. Chairman of the US Council of Economic Advisors, Stephen Myron says so far he sees nothing that backs up worries about President Trump's tariffs leading to higher costs.
Speaker 8: There's no evidence that tariffs are leading to inflation. You can scare the data all you want. Inflation is very well contained. It's CPI consumer price inflation. As I'm running at a one and a half percent to annualize rates since the President took office.
Speaker 3: He says, that's quite low and very normal.
Speaker 1: The CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices reconvenes today for a second day of its two day public meeting, ABC's Sony Salesman' SYS. One of the vaccines up for discussion is the one given to kids to protect them from measles, mumps and rebella MMR.
Speaker 6: There is some discussion about whether you know it could be broken up or if it's too much altogether.
Speaker 1: Now again, studies show that this vaccine safe and effective. This meeting is the first since Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior fired all seventeen members and then named an entirely new committee. And American Airlines Flight has had to make an emergency landing in Las Vegas when planes of flames rather shot out of one of its engines. The pilots told air traffic controllers they noticed it just after takeoff and sixty.
Speaker 8: Five Saint Amphims I get points coming out of the engine to return.
Speaker 1: The plan landed safely and was able to get to the gate under its own power. Speaking of taking off, did you see Max Munsey hitting a grand slam last night?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 9: Two?
Speaker 3: Pitch from Kettley and Munseie swings.
Speaker 10: HiT's a drive deep, brightfield, way back.
Speaker 9: It is gone.
Speaker 1: Max monthly with a grand slam, his second one this week, and the Dodgers have opened it up at is seven to one, though the Dodgers go on to defeat the Rockies eight to one. Hey, here's a fun fact about baseball. Did you know there were only or there are only two players in Dodgers' history to hit both ten home runs and pitch in at least two games during the season, any idea who they are?
Speaker 3: Anyone? Anyone? Okay, just happened?
Speaker 1: Shohei Otani, who just returned to pitching for the first time in a couple of years, first time since he became a Dodger, and Key k Hernandez. Remember he pitched in a couple of games and he's also hit ten home runs this season. The Dodgers take on the Rockies in Colorado today. First pitch goes out at noon. I love a midday game. Listen to all the Dodger games on AM five to seventy LA Sports live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast booth, and you can stream all the Dodger games all season long in HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports. The union representing thousands of LA Police officers has called for the resignation of Cutahey Vice Mayor Cynthia Gonzalez. The LA Police Protective League calls a recent social media post by Gonzalez shameful. In the now deleted video, Gonzalez basically advocates for local gangs to confront peace officers and ICE agents. The Pentagon is holding a press briefing on the US bunker busting strikes on Iran. The House and Senator set to receive classified briefings on the US air strikes on Iran nuclear facilities. The Senate briefing is scheduled for today. The House gets its briefing tomorrow. Hollywood could soon offer a new place for visitors to rest. The La City Council's voted to advance a proposal to open a visitor center in public restrooms on Vine Street near the Walk of Fame. Council members say it would be the first public restroom in the area. The council authorized a city department to negotiate a lease for a city owned property six Zho five.
Speaker 3: It's handle on the news.
Speaker 1: We're going to get the latest on the strikes on Iran's nuclear program. The CIA is now saying that the program was severely damaged in the air strikes. Speaking of Iran and Israel, let's say good morning now to ABC's Geordana Miller in Jerusalem.
Speaker 3: Down before we kind.
Speaker 1: Of get started with what's going on now between Iran and Israel, I wanted to just ask you, because you're in Jerusalem. Has it been quiet for a couple of days since the ceasefire and how how are people around you feeling?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 9: It has been quiet. We had a second night with no air raid sirens, and there's no no Israeli military operations in Iran. I mean, the ceasefire is holding. And I think there's a great sense of relief, you know, when I run into my neighbors or you know, the man at the grocery store I've known for years. You know, people just feel relieved. They believe that Israel came out on top, that the air force here performed very well, and that the operation really could went as well as it could have and even better. Uh that they feel that the threat from Iran now has been greatly reduced.
Speaker 5: Is it gone? No?
Speaker 9: But whereas many Israelis worried that there could be an imminent threat from Iran, right and not only because of the gods of war, but also because of its rapidly progressing nuclear weapons program, that fear has been allayed, right, And you know, the sense is that, you know, time will tell for how long, but certainly for Israelis, they think it's you know, they've got a few years now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I would imagine you kind of you must have some sort of and I don't know because I've never lived through being awakened by sirens, but some sort of like a PTSD about it, like you're just kind of even though, like you said, there's sort of this relief, you just have to be like going, oh God, when are they going to go off next?
Speaker 3: Like that isn't that?
Speaker 1: Is that weighing on the back of your mind or y'all just kind of go, nope, we're good now, right.
Speaker 9: So I think what happens is that there's a kind of exhaustion that sets in afterwards, because you've been on adrenaline on some level trying to cope with the situation and bring some sense of normalcy to a very abnormal situation. Suddenly your kids are home, right, You're up in the middle of the night. You know, you have to deal with the kind of initial spike in adrenaline when you hear your phone go off this very loud noise, you know, and you look at your phone it says, you know, emergency alert, right, and then it rings again and again right, and you have to turn it off and get everyone there. I think that now that we know, there is going to be some extended period of quiet, hopefully for a long time now. I think people feel exhausted, right, and it's an exhaustion from not only twelve days, but almost two years of this war. Right, So I personally feel tired from it all, and I know that my neighbors do. And now you know, everyone's like, okay, okay, we're almost there. Now, let's just end the Gaza war, right, Yeah, that's the next thing on the list. If we can end the Gaza war, get the hostages home, there will feel better.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you real quick about you know, the Pentagon's holding a briefing now talking about the air strikes. That preliminary report came out and said, you know what, they didn't do that much damage. But Israel's Atomic Energy Commission came out and said, no, the bunker busters did severe damage.
Speaker 3: So what's the latest on that.
Speaker 9: That's right, that's right. The Israel Atomic Agency came out with the statement late yesterday saying that the US strikes were very effective and that they severely damaged for Now and the other centers, right.
Speaker 5: Because we've forg get.
Speaker 9: The United States also hit the tents in Isfahan, and the agency said that they were severely damaged. And now inoperable.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 9: So you know the Israel Atomic Agency you literated destroyed, right, But they said they are severely damaged and they can't be used and it'll take years to rebuild them. And that's really what the Israelis needed. You know, the bar of demolishing and you know everything's in rubble is not necessarily the definition of success. Right. They needed to knock the program out and make it so they couldn't really rebuild it. And the Israelis are saying, we did that with the help of the United States, and the United States strikes on Fordau were essential to the success of the mission. Now, the Israelis say, we know that from our own intel, right, And they're not going to give us all the details, but we can assume, right, based on the way their intelligence played out during the twelve days, that Israel has plenty of eyes and ears and probably right spies on the ground there in Iran and knows what they're talking about. You know, as one source said to me, if the US strikes were not as successful as Israel needed, Israel would have bombed for Dow again and again and again.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 9: They would have added on to the strikes if they felt that the damage was not done, and that's one one sign that they think, you know, it was successful.
Speaker 1: All right, abcster Donna Miller in Jerusalem. I hope you can rest a little easy, and we'll look forward to talking to you soon.
Speaker 3: All right, take care, great, talk soon, all right.
Speaker 1: The l Board of Education has approved a nearly nineteen billion dollars spent plan. The budget does not include raises for executives like the superintendent and other cabinet level of positions. It does feature protections for current staff levels, as well as twenty six million dollars for accelerated arts investment and additional twenty five million for the Black Student Achievement Plan, five million to fund so called Dream centers for undocumented students, and two million dollars in support of LGBTQ students. The district expects to take in three billion dollars less than it is spending. Huntington Beach has a new program the city hopes will cut down on e bike crashes.
Speaker 2: City official city they believe there are more e byte collisions there than anywhere else in California. So police Sergeant Mike Thomas says they've got a new education program targeting young riders.
Speaker 5: From our city.
Speaker 11: The alarming statistics majority of or i'd say fifty percent of all riders under the age of eighteen contributed.
Speaker 2: To city counted one hundred and forty seven e Byte crashes last year and even more already this year. The free program is seventy minutes long and teaches writers how to be aware of their surroundings and handle the bike company dently. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 3: Los Angeles General Medical Center has seen a drop in er visits in the last few weeks.
Speaker 6: LA County's largest public hospital reports they've seen a sustained and notable decline in er visits since June six. It's down thirty two percent compared to the week's prior. Hospital officials say there isn't one single cause for the decline, but they say they're hearing directly from patients that fear of some US citizens being detained during ice raids is playing a role in keeping people away. They say, regardless of immigration status, their doors are open and care is confidential for everyone. Heather Brooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: Gunfire has erupted at a vigil for a teen who was shot to death last week. Culver City police say seventeen year old Kyler Peyton was shot and killed while picking up as sibling from a pool party in Torrance. About three hundred people were at the vigil on Tuesday night as the Culver City High School football field. A fight broke out and shots were fired. No one was hurt. Home prices have dropped in California for the first time in nearly two years. Here's the latest data from the California Association of Riltor's shows the median price for a single family home in May of this year was just over nine hundred thousand dollars, compared to nine hundred and eight thousand in May of twenty twenty four. Apparently there's more story to tell. Aaron Sorkin has been tagged to write and direct a sequel to twenty ten's The Social Network, about the origins of Facebook and founder Mark Zuckerberg. Sorkan won an Oscar for his work on the first movie. Deadline says The Social Network Part two, ah very original name is about the inner workings of Facebook. No word on whether Jesse Eisenberg will return as Zuckerberg. Okay, so going out and about this week we went to Disneyland.
Speaker 3: It's their seventieth celebration.
Speaker 1: The actual birthday is July seventeenth, but Disneyland and California Adventure Park are celebrating all year.
Speaker 3: I mean, like why not.
Speaker 1: The park is basically just dressed up. Because I was like, hey, what's different? What's different? Because I hadn't been since it started. We went last Friday, and I mean it just looks pretty dressed up.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 1: They put some overlays on stuff, and they've got banners hanging Happy birthdayre on the Castle and down Main Street and that.
Speaker 3: Kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: They do have like some special menu items, which is always fun because again Neil and I talk about this all the time, the food at Disneyland has gotten so good, so they have some special food items, so be sure to look for those because they'll post them around. And the characters, similar to Christmas time, have special outfits, so if you have a picture with Mickey and Minnie already, you can get a new one with a new outfit on of course, there's seventieth merchandise.
Speaker 3: They've got this great baseball jersey. I got to go back and get it.
Speaker 1: I think spirit Jersey's ears hats that kind of thing, and they have three new dining packages for the seventieth and that's where we landed for our visit to Disneyland. So there's there's the Paint the Night dining package at the Plaza Inn, which includes lunch, and then you get reserved few viewing for the Paint the Night Parade, which is always a great thing because you know, if you're going to watch the parades, you do have to kind of line up really early, so the reserved viewing is kind of a little treat. There's Donald's Tales of Adventure Buffet at Storyteller Cafe, which is in Disney's Grand California Hotel and Spa, and you get to meet some of the characters, so that's fun. And then the one we got was the Docking Bay seven Food and Cargo Nighttime Gathering.
Speaker 3: So here's the deal.
Speaker 1: We go to Batuo, which is Galaxy's Edge, and you go into Docking Bay and you get a full on dinner and dessert, and then it's kind of like all you can all you can have specialty drinks and that kind of stuff. If you want wine like I had, you have to pay for that, but other than that, it's all all you can eat, and there's there's a couple really fun. There's this cold brew that I think has I don't think I'm supposed to say, but it's got cocoa puffs in it.
Speaker 3: Basically it's delicious, really good.
Speaker 1: The food was really good, solid, and then you get a viewing section for the fireworks show. And the fireworks at Batuo is so great because it's the same fireworks show that you see if you're on Main Street, except you're in a different you're on a different planet, you're in a different place, and so your vantage point is different. And they have Star Wars music, so it's all Star Wars themed and it's just so cool, and people bring their lightsabers and that kind of stuff, and it's just really a cool way to experience Disneyland in a new way. I always love that there's always new and fun things to discover, and that was that was our food, fun, new discovery.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna put up.
Speaker 1: Some pictures on my Instagram at amy Kking and would love for you to go check it out and would love for you to follow me again.
Speaker 3: It's at amy Kking.
Speaker 1: I'm also going to put it up on Kfi's Instagram at KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: You can check it out.
Speaker 1: And we were talking about whether there are ever for any discounts for the seventies celebration. There's some really great ticket deals Disneyland multi day ticket offer. You can go for as low as one hundred and twenty dollars per day with a special three day, one park, per day visit.
Speaker 3: Or there's also a.
Speaker 1: One hundred dollars per day, four day, one park, per day ticket, so you go go to Disneyland one day and then go back and go to California Adventure Park one day, and then go back and go to Disneyland one day. Anyway, check out it because they do have some good deals if you want a little a little bit of a bargain, and it's a great way, a great way to spend a day time to get in your business. Now with Bloomberg's Monica Ricks in for Courtney again this morning.
Speaker 3: Morning.
Speaker 10: Monica, Hey, Amy, I think I smile a little bigger knowing and I'm going to be talking to you. Oh, I know, I miss you.
Speaker 1: You're only three thousand miles away.
Speaker 3: You know it's a short, short trip. Yes, are you melting?
Speaker 10: I have been struggling yes, this week, it's it's been really brutal outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a different kind of heat than in LA when you're in New York City, right, Oh yeah.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, it's a little thing called humidity.
Speaker 3: It just makes things a whole lot worse.
Speaker 1: It always reminds me of friends and Monica when they went down to the Caribbean or something.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the frizz that her hair turned into. Yeah, now imagine my face. Oh yeah, okay, let's get.
Speaker 1: Your business now.
Speaker 3: And the buzz is on the Nike snowfur. What's a snowfer?
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, snowfur is basically a sneaker loafer, and demand over a Nike's new snowfer is pushing resale prices past five hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: And it isn't even out yet.
Speaker 10: It's on your but I know, well those are on resale site, so it could even it could go even higher.
Speaker 3: We don't know yet, but it drops tomorrow.
Speaker 10: It's called the Airmax phenomena, and it's basically like Nike's version of a mullet because it looks like a penny loafer on top and a sneaker on the bottom, and it is expected to help Nike help those sagging sales that it's been suffering from all year.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait, I got it. Wait where did it go? I was gonna look for it. Oh you were looking it up? Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, but it's okay.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's got the classic air max you know, look on the bottom and then it looked it's like appending a little for on top.
Speaker 3: So if you want to wear them to work and be comfortable all day, great.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So just cost you Yeah, what are they retailing for now?
Speaker 10: You know what?
Speaker 3: I don't know yet.
Speaker 10: Oh okay, but they're reselling for five they're reselling yeah, yeah, on a lot of these stock X and and all these all these sites.
Speaker 3: Okay, they grap them up. Okay.
Speaker 1: And speaking of shoes, they're going to design some shoes in space.
Speaker 10: Yes, there's a footwear startup called Scintilla. It's backed by one of the co founders of Rebok, and the company is now partnering with two space companies to design a shoe in orbit, which means that astronauts are going to be using AI and something called blockchain technology to design it. They send that design back to Earth, they get it three D printed, and then those shoes will sell for about two hundred bucks. And the goal here is to shift production off the planet because they want to reduce carbon footprints here on Earth. So they're going to launch that early next year on a SpaceX Falcon nine rocket.
Speaker 3: Pretty cool, alrighty. Some shoes that are out of this world. I like that.
Speaker 1: And if you're looking for a side hustle, as so many people are, Spirit Spirit Halloween is hiring.
Speaker 3: It's only you know, a few months away.
Speaker 10: Crazy because we're talking about the brutal heat right now in June. But yeah, Spirit Halloween already gearing up for spooky season. The pop up retailer has about fifty thousand jobs that are going to be available at fifteen hundred locations nationwide, including California.
Speaker 3: So the store is.
Speaker 10: Typically open in August, and that's when most US consumers start shopping for all their Fall and Halloween decorations, costumes, all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: It'd be a fun place to work, all right, getting in your business as we do every morning at five point forty today with Bloomberg's Monica Rix.
Speaker 3: Thanks Monica, always a pleasure. I'll see you tomorrow, all right.
Speaker 1: By more than sixteen hundred immigrants have been detained since ice rad started in southern California. The US Department of Homeland Security says they've been detained between June sixth and last Sunday. President Trump has doubled down on his claims that Arounds nuclear program obliterated by US air strikes. He's been pushing back against preliminary reports that said Iran's nuclear program was only set back months, not years. Drug overdose deaths have dropped in La County. Public health officials say overdose deaths drop twenty two, twenty four. That's the biggest drop in drug related deaths in La County history. A spokesperson largely credits in the locksone. That's the drug used to counter overdoses. We're just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning, and Handle's got lots to say. I bet Tom Holman has a stark warning for the guy who is the Democratic nominee for New York City's mayor.
Speaker 3: He says, it's game on. Bill's gonna tell you about that.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the California Regional executive director of the National Wildlife Federation, Beth Pratt.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Beth.
Speaker 5: Good morning Amy, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're hitting another big benchmark in the construction of the wall Us Annenberg Wildlife Crossing. I call it the Annenberg Wallace earlier, but it's a Walla's Annenberg Wildlife Crossing's what's about to start.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's really amazing. I've been working on this project almost fourteen years and to think we're now just lower a year out from completion. So stage one, which is over the freeway. That structure's been completed twenty six million pounds of concrete board and as you know, we have soil on top and the plants will go on top of that structure fall. But what we're moving towards is extending for state. The final stage, extending that structure over the Agore Road which runs parallel to the freeway. We have to do so we have to underground some utility lines which run in between where you know the one on one structures and whether your gore structure needs to go, and then we will be open for business for a whild life's next year. It's really exciting to contemplate.
Speaker 3: Open for business. I love that.
Speaker 1: And this next phase of the bridge or the overpass whatever is it's a little bit tricky and I was reading the press release. It says that going over the two lanes is going to be trickier than going over the ten lanes of the one on one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know a lot most wildlife crossings are in the middle of nowhere, and they build them where it is easiest to engineer. This is all. We had sixteen hundred feet of protective space left in that entire region on that freeway, and it was not an easy site. You know, the one oh one structure was kind of a straight shot right over the freeway, but this one is much trickier. The slope is something that we have to move earth and get down so the animals you wouldn't be going straight up the hill. But even more importantly, there is a creek right there watershed as well as many many heritage oaks, and so we need to thread and angle that crossing in between those so that we maintain the watershed and preserve the oak.
Speaker 3: Got to be careful with the environment.
Speaker 1: So you've got you mentioned that you've got dirt across the ten lane crossing. Now have any animals been kind of sniffing it out? Like, Hey, what's that?
Speaker 3: Could I cross?
Speaker 5: Now? I'm so glad you asked that I was actually up there last week and saw a Western sense lizard, and at first I didn't think anything of it. Western sense lizards are one of the most common animals you see in California. But then I'm like, wait a minute, this western census is on top of the crossing. And this is remarkable for two reasons. One is a the crossing's not connected to the landscape yet. We obviously don't want the animals on a bridge to nowhere. So this little guy, although Western sense lizards can climb that, you know, I had to climb up a significant concrete wall to get there. It's the only way to access it. But the other reason that is significant is we are building this wildlife crossing from everything from mountain lines to monarch butterflies, and the National Park Service and other people's research, you know, showed that mountain lines were genetically fragmenting because of this freeway. Their research also showed that Western sense wizards were doing the same. So he is another representative of animals impacted by this. And hey, that is one small step for lizard kind.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, all creatures great and small can use this. And then my one last question for you I think we may have talked about this and I think I said, you know, if you build it, they will come. Are you going to do anything to attract the animals to the crossing or will they just find it on their own?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a really good question. I will say that overall, animals really seek these crossings out, you know, and word really does get out in the animal world, like, hey, safe path is this way. There was a famous video of a badger and a coyote teaching each other how to use an underground culvert. But with decades of wildlife crossings, we also know what works to help them find it, and one of the biggest things we do is what we call exclusionary. They will be fencing about two miles on the freeway either way to cut off their options and basically we'll lead them right there.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect, And if all goes according to plan, we're still looking at and opening next year and the next phase is starting soon. Thanks so much, A Beth Prat for giving us an update. I can't wait for this, It's been so long in coming here. It's just I bet, I bet you guys are working on it day, every day, so it's very exciting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's going to feel good when that first mountain line passes.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, am, all right, we'll talk to you again soon. Thanks Beth.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Iran's supreme leader is speaking out for the first time since the ceasefire with Israel. ABC's Jonathan Carl says Ayatola Ali kame and A is still in hiding.
Speaker 11: He delivered a televised address in Iran claiming a great victory for Iran in this battle. He says, the Islamic Republic emerged victorious and delivered a harsh slap to America's face.
Speaker 1: Cowmany has also downplayed the US air strikes on Iranian nuclear sites, saying President Trump is exaggerating their impact. The Lacity councils approved a new four year contract for fire department chief officers, including an incremental fifteen percent pay raise by twenty twenty eight. The contract also boosts health subsidies and adds new leave policies. Official city agreement's going to cost the city more than thirteen million dollars. A bear that broke into a locked trailer in South Lake Tahoe has been euthanized. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife says the bear broke into the trailer at Emerald Bay State Park last weekend and attacked a woman oak inside. She's recovering in the hospital. The bear had several run ins with people and had broken into several homes and vehicles. Cooling is coming for more than one hundred million Americans who've been sweating through a brutal heat wave. Forecasters say temperatures are starting to fall in the Northeast, where places like New York and New England have seen record high temperatures. The heat is still on in the mid Atlantic and Southeast, but temper are cooling a bit as we head into the weekend. Europeans apparently still pretty upset with Elon Musk.
Speaker 12: Tesla sales in Europe plunged for a fifth month in a row in May. The European Automobile Manufacturers Association said the drop of twenty eight percent last month in thirty European countries came even as the overall market for electric vehicles expanded sharply. The poor showing comes after Tesla's billionaire CEO promised a major rebound was coming soon. Musk has angered Europeans by embracing far right wing politicians and elections there. Deborah Mark, KFI News.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, And just like that, the fastest hour in radio is over. Hope you were able to be productive during that time and you're ready to start your day Live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you missed a lot, but you can listen at any time on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.