Speaker 1: This is POD Popular Podcast for the People, The.
Speaker 2: Great Love Debates.
Speaker 3: It's the Great Love.
Speaker 1: Debate, The Great Love Debates. It's a Great Love to hi again.
Speaker 2: Everyone's Brian Howie. Welcome to The Great Love Debate, the world's number one dating or relation podcast since twenty fifteen. I am here in the secondary studio, which is called the Pop Pod. Here at Pod, Popular podcast for the people. This today is our annual Summer Loving mail Bag, where we take on various issues, quirks, themes that are uniquely related to the summertime. This year, I put out a little APB a couple of weeks ago to ask you guys to send me things that are related to summer activities and or sports. Things that your partner, spouse, hiring, boyfriend, girlfriend does that perhaps particularly flummoxes.
Speaker 1: Or annoys you.
Speaker 2: And I did not want to take this on myself, so I needed a pro I needed, first of.
Speaker 1: All, a voice of reason. I needed somebody who is.
Speaker 2: Fairly familiar with activities and or sports. She is the host of the very very popular Sports Will Save Us All podcast. All those sports may not save some of these relationships. Sasha Graham, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, that was a stellar introduction. I'm so happy to be so.
Speaker 2: First of all, she had an opinion on ghosting that I had not thought of.
Speaker 1: Why don't you like it?
Speaker 3: Well, so here's the thing.
Speaker 4: I totally get everything that you say, like what we owe other people when.
Speaker 3: It comes to being not on one day or two dates or chatting online. I get it.
Speaker 4: But for me when I was dating, because I'm happily married now, but when I was dating, it was about efficiency and if I was left waiting around for somebody to get back to me, and I'm like, maybe there's something there, maybe there isn't, like just let me know, just be like, you know what, not into it, not feeling it, and then I.
Speaker 3: Can move on.
Speaker 2: Purgatory that you're in, not suring it's a time waster. I hadn't considered that very voice of reason.
Speaker 1: You're right on that.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure in the moment somebody can let you know how they feel. Sometimes they process it a couple of days, but there should be like a five day limit, so you're not going weeks and weeks like is this guy gonna call me? Can I go out with somebody else? What?
Speaker 1: You know? You're right on that he eliminate the gray area. So a good start. So there's your.
Speaker 2: Addendum to the ghosting will save us all podcasts. All right, So we got a whole shitload of submissions from you guys. As always, we picked six, three from the men, three from the ladies. I have not looked at these, and Sasha certainly has not heard these. We are going to read them and give our take on them, which mayor we may or may not agree. You guys may may may or may not agree. But they're a fresh batch right out of the hoppers. So first of all, the first one is from Sarahbeth in Renton, Washington. We came to your show in Seattle two years ago on our first date. Yeah, and now we are engaged.
Speaker 1: Great. Right, here is.
Speaker 2: The issue, Seattle. Seattle's sorry you typed wrong, Sarahbeth. Seattle is known for great summers, which makes up for the rest of the year. But all my fiance wants to do during the summer is fish, Like every weekend. Sam in this trout that he will just stand in a river in eastern Washington and fly fish for hours.
Speaker 1: It is literally our.
Speaker 2: Only time to do anything outside. And he keeps saying why don't you just come it's fun and relaxing.
Speaker 1: It's neither. It's dumb.
Speaker 2: I hate it, and I am seriously thinking it's a deal breaker for me. I know I shouldn't change him, and he loves what he loves. But I am better than the fish. He should want to be with me.
Speaker 4: Oh, Sarah Beeth, I agree you are better than the Fishye, you're really.
Speaker 1: Better than the trout. But this good salmon up there, I don't know about that. I agree.
Speaker 2: This is a tough one because the fishing is a relaxing escape.
Speaker 1: I don't do it.
Speaker 2: I even think it's mean. Catch and release fishing I think is mean. I think you get a hook in the face and it's like I threw him back. It sucks for the fish. Eat it or don't eat it.
Speaker 1: That's me.
Speaker 2: That's a different podcast. Though it is true about some of these poor weather things. You are on the clock. You have about ten weekends to do stuff you want to do. You can't just been like this is my thing and you have to dive in or not. Right.
Speaker 4: So here's the thing that I find really interesting about it is that I would think that it was his escape from her, except that he's inviting her along, right.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: A lot of these guys want to be like I want to get away from her. He's invited. He could be inviting her along knowing that she doesn't like it. That's a different thing. You guys are engaged, though, So I am surprised that this must be you came to our show two years ago.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: A lot of couples get engaged from coming to the Great Love Debate. By the way, so you went through this last summer. My answer on this, and we've had some versions on this before, is there really needs to be a compromise. So you'd be like, listen, there are ten weekends in the summer, do four?
Speaker 3: Well, But here's the thing.
Speaker 4: It's Seattle and the weather is getting worse and worse, So your summers are going to get shorter and shorter. Eventually, it's only going to be two weeks a year that she has to worry about going fishing.
Speaker 2: Why did understand it's not freezing there? Why can't you fish in the rain? I mean it's pretty miserable with the fishing. I mean being outside when it's Seattle. I've talked about this for Seattle people pretend it doesn't rain. They don't use umbrellas. They just put on like the air ARII rain code and like it's fine, it's missing.
Speaker 1: Why can't he fish in the rain?
Speaker 3: I mean maybe he does.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's just that it's the summer that's the issue, because she wants to be out doing fun outdoor things.
Speaker 2: Right, well, I think, oh, you think he fishes all year round and she doesn't care because she's like, go do that.
Speaker 1: I'm inside, I'm gonna watch a movie. Well let's just say there's ten weekends here.
Speaker 2: I think on something like this, you don't want him to fish, to quit fishing altogether. I think fisherman guy, twenty fishing weekends a year is plenty, and you give the other thirty two to her. And if you're just like, no, I really have to do this, you know, what are you going to do when you guys have kids, or if you have kids, you're gonna have to do the soccer tournaments on Saturdays and get out of the river, right fella. I think she's right. I think she is better than the fish. I think she has every right to say stop with the fishing. Ooh I do. I'm fine if you're dating somebody, I would be like, listen, and somebody's like, this is really something that I don't want you to do and do. I'm fine with that. I'm like, go ahead, Yeah, I agree. I think what she wants is more important than the fish. This is fishing's fishing's dump. Go to a grocery store and eat the fish.
Speaker 3: I am going to.
Speaker 4: Give you my very practical advice, which is that you need to find something that you love there.
Speaker 3: So wherever it is that he's.
Speaker 4: Going fishing, it's beautiful, it's outside, it's a beautiful day. Find a way that you can and enjoy it and do something different while you're there, Like, because it's just somebody you love and he loves fishing, Like you don't want to love him in spite of that, you want to love him that.
Speaker 2: Part of you you're on his side, sort of, Oh do we need to fix sides.
Speaker 1: I'm just surprised.
Speaker 3: I just think that relationships.
Speaker 2: You pro fishing.
Speaker 3: Do you like to fish? No, I'm not a big I'm not a big.
Speaker 4: The starabeths here like I would much rather go and bring my book.
Speaker 3: And then he comes over and gives me a kiss on the forehead like and shows me a big.
Speaker 1: Fish that he smells like a fish.
Speaker 2: Now, to be fair, it is lovely the Pacific Northwest in the summer during that time, in the river's Columbia River. All that kind of stuff, Puget sound, all of it is nice. And there are things that she could do is read a book by the by the side of the rover and go you caught anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, honey, like all the fish away.
Speaker 2: It just shouldn't be. I have a problem with every weekend. That's my issue. Every weekend is rough.
Speaker 3: Well do you think it really is every weekend?
Speaker 1: Well, she wrote to us, and I believe her. I'm on your side, Sarabath.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I hope that answers your question. I think that is a fairly reasonable compromise you had. I gave a compromise, Sasha gave a compromise. See if there's an answer in there for you, Sarahbath. Okay, next one. Do you know how they have that fourth of July hot dog eating contest in New York every year? Well, this girl I am dating is a total smoke show, and she is in fantastic shape and she is a competitive eater, mostly crab legs, but also oysters and key lime pie, very specific things. Pretty much anything slimy and slippery. She can suck down rare. You would think it's a turn on, but it's not. It's fucking gross. It's such a weird thing to stumble upon when you date somebody. She's great in every other way, but she wants to drive to these summer contests and I don't know how to tell her it's a turnoff.
Speaker 1: So how do I.
Speaker 2: Tell her that's from not chucking in Annapolis?
Speaker 3: Oh, not chucking? This is easy. You just go fishing with Sarabeth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that is a weird thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I used to date a girl who could suck down a whole bunch of crab legs too. Whatever. Now I am pro competitive eating.
Speaker 2: A little secret fantasy of mine is, like I want to know, I don't think I could do Joey Chestnut level of but I think I take down twenty hot dogs.
Speaker 1: I think I could.
Speaker 2: I used to have at the Fat Burger in Santa Monica, California. There used to be a little plaque on the wall that I was the King Burger Champion. Are you attracted ladies to that? I was the King Burger eating Contest champion.
Speaker 1: I want an eating.
Speaker 3: Con you're how many did you eat?
Speaker 2: It was the time thing. It was the thing that like not only if you ate, it was free. It was like you and I end I had fries. So take that shucking girl and again this, I don't want this to be sexist girl competitive eating fair crab legs, oysters and key line pie. I think that's a dating attribute. I think good. That is very specific. I don't know how to tell her it's a turnoff. I think you don't tell it's a turnoff. I just think, like I don't want to distract you. It's a competition. I root you well, I'll meet you in the car. I don't know what you can't not to do it.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm a little horrified.
Speaker 4: I feel like the fishing thing on his way, like that sort of makes sense to me.
Speaker 3: But like key lime pie, like she eats as many key line pies as.
Speaker 2: In like five minutes or whatever. You know, it's does take a lot of chewing. It's a lot of sucking. Ois that's a very specific. So I don't think she's good in the chewing stuff. She's good in the sucking stuff, which is props to you not chucking in applis.
Speaker 1: She looks good.
Speaker 2: She sees most of the competitive eating people, the real champs, they're not the heavy people they are. The stomach is a muscle, the throat is a muscle. I think you she does it. That's her thing.
Speaker 1: I think most people would think it's cool.
Speaker 3: No, I call deal breaker on this one in a girl.
Speaker 1: I think it's cool in a girl. I like it, well, because that means I get to eat whatever I watch, So maybe.
Speaker 3: That's maybe you should eat it under my way.
Speaker 2: Well, what how does he tell her?
Speaker 1: What was your answer to that? How do you tell her?
Speaker 3: I don't know. According to you, he can just ghost her and move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think again, it does seem to like her. That's a turnoff. How do you say what you do is a turnoff? Or do you just distance yourself on competition weekend? There can't be that many competitions.
Speaker 4: I mean, this kind of goes back to what I was saying, like you love the whole person or you don't love them at all, Like I mean, if this is something that he really can't abide by, then I think that this is something that I mean somebody.
Speaker 2: Well, how do you say, like, listen, you do it, I just can't watch it.
Speaker 1: Do your thing and then we'll meet up later.
Speaker 4: Well, but that's not what he's saying. He's saying that he needs to tell her like he's implying that she needs to stop down and doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you feel like there's big bucks in the key Lime meeting world, but if.
Speaker 3: She loves it, you're gonna tell somebody not to.
Speaker 1: Do your podcast.
Speaker 2: Something about this type of competition, not just the taste of the food, because people aren't really taste. There's sucking it down. It's a competitive jones that she has and this satisfies it.
Speaker 4: It's probably also a community and it's something she's really good at.
Speaker 2: Yes, and she feels some I don't think you'd tell her to stop. I don't think you need to tell her it's a turnoff. I think you just see where this relationship goes.
Speaker 1: You have to get through.
Speaker 2: Probably this is the seasonal thing, like how many she can't do a lot of them, because they can't.
Speaker 1: Do a lot of them. It is hard on the body.
Speaker 2: So like three or four times you just go fishing with the other guy and you don't go to the oyster eating contest.
Speaker 4: Don't you think that it's probably something that she talks about and that she's excited about it.
Speaker 2: I think she's probably proud of it.
Speaker 3: She's proud of it.
Speaker 2: Right, Say your husband wanted to do this, and he's like, I'm gonna get involved in the the sushi eating contest.
Speaker 1: I think I can do. You want to come?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, but for me, it's not a turnoff.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So for him it's it's two fucking bad. Like she's a total smoke show. You said your words, and she's in great shape, like it's a weird thing. But say she was a sword swallower, like you know, I don't know. You don't want to watch it because it seems painful. Let her do her thing. Carve your eyes, fella, there's worse things.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: I'm her, I'm on her side. Just you don't even need to tell her to turn off.
Speaker 2: Just just distance yourself from the competition weekends.
Speaker 3: And then see what happens yourself. A slice of here's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: She's going to meet somebody at one of those competition weekends who loves this part of her and thinks that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's good though, that she has something that's passionate out and it is competitive. The fishing guy, I don't think he's in fishing competitions, but you know, okay, yes, all right, that's a weird one.
Speaker 1: I like that fun. Good for her.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see her. Okay, Yes, what is it about? Have you had a competitive eater on?
Speaker 3: No butt to?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? Absolutely? I mean it's hard and it's physical, and it's competitive.
Speaker 2: You could argue that Joey Chestnut is better at his sport than anybody else is at their.
Speaker 1: Sport in the world.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's incredible.
Speaker 1: He's so much better than everybody else.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine the mental game that's happening there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. I mean he makes big bucks.
Speaker 2: The other guy who used to be good, Kobayashi, the Japanese guy, he got like a jothritis, like he like he hurt himself. He couldn't continue, couldn't go on. But Joey justa has done this fifteen years reserve getting old?
Speaker 1: All right? Next one?
Speaker 2: Oh god, what is it with cornhole? I get that it's a fun activity, but it isn't an all day activity. Somewhere along the line, life became pickleball and cornhole for every guy over thirty.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It's summer and we are in bikinis, and we are hot, and we were just standing there watching you throw bean bags and drink cors lights.
Speaker 1: Why is this a thing? And how do we make it not a thing?
Speaker 2: Melany Facebook page the explosion of I'll take this cornoll and pickleball first. Pickleball is not happening around the pool, so I don't think there's bikini people at pickleball whatever.
Speaker 1: But pickleball is huge.
Speaker 2: It used to be an older person thing, and now it is everybody. It's an all person thing for sure, and it's only going to get bigger. You're not going to win the pickleball thing. That being said, I saw cornhole on ESPN the other day, so I'm not sure that's gonna but people do play corn hole for hours. Give me the bikinis like I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't get it. I don't know how you make it not a thing.
Speaker 2: And it really is sort of everywhere that there's a you go to a tailgate, there's cornhole you go to. Most apartment complexes now have cornhole. Like, I'm pro bikini, so I'm on your side with that. I don't think you're gonna make it not a thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: All right, So here's my thoughts on cornhole. First of all, it's a blast. I totally get it. Like I love cornhole. So I think that it's the old if you can't beat them, join them situation where if start playing cornhole in your bikini, you will be the most popular.
Speaker 3: Girls you were.
Speaker 1: Yes, you will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sort of a bikini cornhole as the whole that they put that on ESPN.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Second, you haven't been hearing about watch Pie Hot Doggy It would be good too.
Speaker 4: I mean we can just accept that bikini plus anything and then you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Watch probably good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Why are these guys playing cornhole? Right?
Speaker 4: It's because it's a place where they can be successful. Correct, Right, So figure out the motivation and then sort of back into it and then figure out how they can be successful around you.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point. We bring this up a lot, and this comes up a lot at our live shows. They might think that you're not interested in them in your bikini and you're not creating an environment where their confidence can flourish. Why do the men of all ages play so many video games? And we hear this from wives a lot too. My husband plays video games, my son is because that is something that the men feel they can win at, and they feel like they are failing ninety percent of the time in any situation with the women, whether it is parenting, working, take out the garbage, dating you or whatever.
Speaker 1: You're not doing it right, You're not doing it well.
Speaker 2: You're losing run And so they're like, I'm going to go to a place where I understand what the criteria is and the score is, and I'm gonna get good at that.
Speaker 1: Cornhole is very simple.
Speaker 2: You do this, you are a whole different wall of wax there in your bikini and how I.
Speaker 1: Am with you.
Speaker 2: You have to then create a situation where just talking to you they can win at just being around you.
Speaker 3: Right, yep, I completely agree.
Speaker 2: You know, come man the grill and feel that's why, man, they feel.
Speaker 1: Better about that.
Speaker 2: So that's about you saying, not only are you're trying to just win by being a distraction from the corn hole. You have to give these guys more than that, where there's a roadmap at least to some success with.
Speaker 4: You, even if it's something as easy as Hey, that drink that you made me last time was really good.
Speaker 3: Do you mind making me another one?
Speaker 2: Like exactly? Ask, that's a really good idea. Hey, put down your bean bag, come make me a drink and let's have a drink together. Totally, that's not too much for you to ask. That's something that he'll, I think gladly do. He just doesn't know what he can do in your world that will make him not feel like a loser.
Speaker 4: Right, So he's getting this dopamine rush by playing cornhole with the guys, making all of these points impressing in his mind these women in the bikinis while you're going come on.
Speaker 2: Man, Cornhole's not going anywhere, pickleball not going anywhere, and we're not going anywhere. But I gotta pay for a pickleball and corn hole and key line pie around here. We had to take a quick break, but we will be back. I'm with Sasha Graham and we were taking on the summer Love and mail Bag.
Speaker 1: We'll be back right after this, and we are back all right.
Speaker 2: This one is from Danny Dee and he sent it through our Facebook page.
Speaker 1: A couple of years ago, you had.
Speaker 2: A vegan write in to say that she was fine dating a meat eater except during barbecue season, that the smell in the smoke was too much. I am the same way, except with tanning burning skin. Something about that salty, charred skin taste when girls lay out is such a turn off. The scent of the oil and the way they sweat a little. I just can't deal with it. Maybe I'm too sensitive to it, but I don't care how great the girls look. If they get too fried or they're just lying out there too long, I'm out. I don't know if I'm looking for advice or just asking if I'm the only one out there who experiences this.
Speaker 3: Is he comparing arbecue season to wing.
Speaker 1: Any little bit? Now? I think that's gotten better.
Speaker 2: We're recording this in Arizona, and even people I know who grew up here say that even during the summers back in the day, they would oil up and they would just fry themselves. They would be like shrimp on the grill. That people don't really do that anymore. We know a little bit more about skin cancer now.
Speaker 4: I think I think in certain places I would guess that there are places. I mean, we were in Key West not too long ago, and there was plenty of that happening, just frying yourself, just like lying on that beach and soaking up every still exists.
Speaker 1: Are they all spray now?
Speaker 4: Like? And again around here it's all spray to han But I think there are places where they're still tanling beds.
Speaker 2: There is a unique like some people like the smell of the ocean and some people don't like the smell of the ocean. There is a little bit of like that burning, sweating hot thing. I think you have an over Is that the only smell that that's a weird trigger that you have.
Speaker 4: There's perfume that is mimics that smell. Yeah, you know interesting thing that bothers that like why weird?
Speaker 3: Did that work?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I don't think you would smell so bad. I think if you go to the beach and the mixes with a little you know, cocon oil smell, that's fine. If you're just like you don't like the the aesthetic of it. People aren't burnt.
Speaker 1: I mean, how old are these people you're hanging out with?
Speaker 2: Is frying? Are the you know kids and they don't know how when they're gonna burn.
Speaker 1: Put a little aloe on Danny D.
Speaker 3: I feel like this is a Danny problem.
Speaker 2: I feel yeah, I feel like it's a Danny problem too, because he's not saying he doesn't like the way people look tanned or over tanned. He just doesn't like the smell, taste whatever. Yeah, you are comparing the girls to barbecue you taste, I think kind of. Yeah, we did have that a couple of years ago, the vegan who wrote in on one of these mail bags about the thing, and we had to just tell her to stay inside, like she didn't have to eat their food. But that was her, that was her problem, right, you know, like that's the way the meat is prepared, and that's the way the meat is prepared. These girls are stanning up for you, Danny D. Too bad. If you're saying I don't care how great the girls look, then just stay away from it, like you can just see them late, see them other places.
Speaker 1: Get away from the pool. If that bothers you.
Speaker 3: I feel like maybe he needs to move somewhere cold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do too.
Speaker 2: He didn't say he's from Facebook, but he didn't say where he was from. But yeah, I think you are the only one who experiences this. Yeah, that is a you problem, Danny de go to a hypnotist.
Speaker 3: Well, and you know, move somewhere where you can be more successful.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If a bunch of girls laying out bothers you too bad. Be the vegan Danny Day. Yeah, don't indulge the vegan. Be the vegan Danny Day. Yeah where are Neither of us is on your side and this is a you problem. Okay the next one. Let me just preface this with yes, I know how to swim. I just do not want to get wet, especially not my hair. This shit costs money. I do not want to go into your pool, which is disgusting and filled with germs and is basically a toilet I want. I don't want to go in a lake with god knows what kinds of catfish and other slimy things and oceans. Don't even get me started, So stop trying to lure me in. Under no circumstances. Push me in. Your attempts to course me just make me angry and not even want to consider you. I want to stay dry, bone dry. Do not splash me, do not scort me. I don't know why you think turning me into a wet rat is going to make you more attracted to me. It makes me want nothing to do with you. That is from Betsy Ross via our Instagram.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to be prince with her. First of all, I love her.
Speaker 2: Why why do men ever think pushing a girl in the pool is a good moment.
Speaker 3: I think it's about the contact, right, You get.
Speaker 1: Two hands on her back for five seconds.
Speaker 3: You get to touch somebody who in a playful way that you wouldn't.
Speaker 1: It's not playful.
Speaker 2: I mean it goes back to the we're never really better than pulling pigtails in the third grade, and it's never a good idea.
Speaker 1: She does not want to get her hair wet.
Speaker 2: I agree with that, and I'm pro I don't want to go in any.
Speaker 1: More natural bodies of water either. I'm out, really, I'm out on the lakes.
Speaker 2: There are a lot I feel like that's their habitat, and I don't want some catfish biting my foot.
Speaker 4: You know what's so funny about that is that I was just having a conversation about this because I was just swimming in the ocean last week, and you know, there's fish everywhere.
Speaker 3: We were snorkeling.
Speaker 4: It was incredible, And then my daughter was invited to a water park and I was like, oh right, Like I would so much rather the natural grossness than the human groscries.
Speaker 2: Well see, yeah, I know these big pools in Vegas with like a thousand people. I travel a lot, and I stay in a lot of hotels. I will not go into a hotel pool unless it's Tuesday or Wednesday, because I don't trust the weekend. I don't trust the mondays is good enough chlorine to recover from the weekend?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, year and in band aids.
Speaker 1: Right, it's just gross. I agree.
Speaker 2: I was a guest on your podcast recently and we talked about I played water polo in college, and you asked if I was a good swimmer, and I said, yeah, I used to competitively water ski and you looked at me like I was crazy associating water.
Speaker 1: Skiing with ability to swim.
Speaker 3: So little swimming and water ski But I thought.
Speaker 2: My entire life that because I water skied, it's transitioned nicely to other water things.
Speaker 4: Now, the best part about that was the look on your face as the realization set in that everything you.
Speaker 2: Thought was true was a lot none of my water skiing prowess had anything to do with my ability to swim and my whole life.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, I do all good water.
Speaker 2: Sports, and now like I'm not going in the ocean, just not. There's like things, yeah, yeah, I've I've become such a baby on all this stuff. Give me a nice salt water swimming pool that has not been in for anybody else.
Speaker 1: But her thing. She's right on this.
Speaker 2: I've always wondered that I would never push it, And now if you push her in, there's a ninety nine percent chance she's holding her phone oh at all times, and you're.
Speaker 1: Screwing with that too. Don't splash her, don't dunk her. All of these things.
Speaker 2: That I'm sure I've done at some point my life.
Speaker 1: Just they don't like it. Almost She's not alone in this.
Speaker 2: She's not the guy who doesn't like the smell where he's the only Most women don't want any part of this.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that there's a couple of different I mean, obviously there's a lot of different kinds of women, but at a pool party, there's a couple different kinds of women, right there is the kind that comes dressed to the nines and wearing a gorgeous white bikini and high heels with her hair flat ironed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then there's the girl.
Speaker 2: Like me who's in the pool and like playing, but you're you're already in the pool. That's different, the pushing and the splash, like you can tell if she's wet already.
Speaker 1: Right, splash away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's playing the volleyball in the pool whatever.
Speaker 1: But if she's just sitting on the unicorn float.
Speaker 3: With her drink and her phone and her phone.
Speaker 1: Don't mess with that.
Speaker 2: Like there's you know, you could be even a really cool girl, but the chlorine is not good for the hair, and you've got to respect that well.
Speaker 4: And especially if you're African American and you've had your hair done, you do not want to be getting it wet with you, Betsy, We are on your side this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I asked somebody the day, when was the last time that their head was underwater? Decades? Yeah, decades. It's just like it's just not happening. So guys, don't do that. That is that's a bad Betsy.
Speaker 1: You are right on this.
Speaker 2: I'm on your side. Okay, this is from I'll say the name of the animal. Do you know, the way we would go away on spring break and meet someone and just have fun for five days, and we would promise to visit each other's colleges but never do so, and it would just end it, and it was all fine, why can't we just be open about having a summer fling? This is what I want, This is how long I wanted, this is what I want to do. You are who I want to do it with, Memorial Day to Labor Day, done and done. Who wouldn't be up for that? And that's from Kenneth on the Prowl And I think that was the plot line de Grease. I think that's what Danny and Sandy did.
Speaker 3: You what it reminds me of sports seasons?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a seasonal industry, brilliant.
Speaker 3: Like the seasons that are are the sports that are.
Speaker 4: So hard when your parent you have kids, are things like taekwondo because there's no end in sight.
Speaker 3: You just do it forever.
Speaker 4: Right, So it's like, well, I think I like taekwondo when you sign up and then it just keeps charging your credit card.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whereas you play soccer and it's just one season or not. He's talking about season.
Speaker 1: That's what's talking about.
Speaker 2: He wants a different type of mindset going into the That's true. On spring break, you'd go and you'd like fall in lover three days, and then she'd go back to Michigan State and you'd go back to Georgia Tech and like, oh, I'll call you, and you never do, and it's fine.
Speaker 1: Everybody moves on and there's different seasonal dating.
Speaker 2: Like you know, everybody talks about the cuffing thing in the in the in the winter time, but in places like Milwaukee and Chicago and Cleveland where rooftop drinking culture, it is just a different set of activities which leads to a different mindset where it should be a little more casual because you are.
Speaker 1: Just kind of run around having fun or whatever.
Speaker 2: So I don't know how you go into that and been like, listen, I'm looking for a summer girlfriend. Because here's my attitude on this. And I've said this before on all this. Anytime somebody says I'm just looking for fun or something short term, I think you're kidding yourself because you're still hoping it works out. You're still hoping. You're saying that to emotionally protect yourself. This is all this is, and I won't there's no way by the fourth of July. If you really like this girl that you're hoping, oh my god, only got six weeks left, you're opening like her forever.
Speaker 3: It's just a longer audition.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: So. I think you're protecting yourself by saying, you know what, we're gonna try this for three months and see where it goes and whatever, and not set anybody up for that. But if you're gonna do that, Kenneth on the prow, uh, you're gonna have to put up with her oyster eating and fishing and whatever she wants to do. Like, you're gonna have to be real if you're gonna keep it loose and casual, you're just gonna have to roll with everything and go with it. If you're gonna do that, though, why would you do that with one person? Why wouln't you just hook up with a bunch of people for three months?
Speaker 4: Well, I think that there's some value there, right, Like it's kind of fun like being and maybe it's just like going back to the efficiency thing, like it's just easier, you know.
Speaker 2: You one person summer flame and it is fun like when you're doing that.
Speaker 3: Like there is the whole honeymoon phase, right.
Speaker 2: It is you're only getting a honeymoon and you just go hard for ninety days and like we're just gonna have the best time. We're gonna go on all concerts, Andre, and we're gonna do this and we're gonna Yeah, there's something.
Speaker 1: To be said for that.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna get stale.
Speaker 2: I know that, me and you, let's dive in and go there, and yeah, I don't necessarily even mind the mindset.
Speaker 1: I think there are people who would be up for that.
Speaker 2: I think if you put that on a dating profile and you're like, who's up for the best summer of our lives? I think there's like a romantic aspect to that where it doesn't seem just like a sex thing or.
Speaker 4: Here's what he does is he just goes and gets like a summer internship in a different city. So then there's just like a really clear beginning to end. I'm only here for three months.
Speaker 1: I don't know how old you are, Kinff.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you want to be a fifty two year old intern, but yeah, you put yourself in a position.
Speaker 1: Where you're just like I'm only here for three months? Where was Sandy and where was Danny? That they only did they? Was she and Austin? Where were they?
Speaker 4: She came from Australia, right, so she was an exchange student from Australia and they were Where were they?
Speaker 1: Right out?
Speaker 2: High was like probably somewhere in the Midwest. It's Venice High School.
Speaker 4: In real life they were at the beach. Remember they were at the beach beach? I think were they in southern California?
Speaker 2: Well, that's where they shot it, So the play is different from the movie. We get skewed a little bit about that. But where were they? That they met for a summer and then they didn't make plans and then they happen She got transferred in.
Speaker 4: She was supposed to be going back to Australia. Okay, so it was supposed to just be a summer fling. She was supposed to be going back to Australia and instead they ended up staying because their dad's job continued. So then she started at Rydel High.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of thoughts about Grease, which I've gotten into on this podcast.
Speaker 3: And yet you know so little.
Speaker 1: He's a total deck.
Speaker 2: The whole time, like you know, it leaves her for cha, Cha grabs her boob at the drive in. There's a lot of stuff going on, like Danny's not cool, but the whole or she didn't say, hey, where do you go to high school? And so then when she's there, like where do you live? She doesn't contact him.
Speaker 3: I think you're blaming the victim here? Should you having a great summer?
Speaker 2: Oh and she didn't find out about like she just happened to end up in his high school.
Speaker 1: She didn't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe she was Kenneth on the prowliness.
Speaker 1: I think she was. I think she was looking for the flank.
Speaker 3: We just made that a her.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm like pro Danny. All right, pink ladies and tea birds out there.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: That was a pretty good crazy. But you guys are nuts out there. It's amazing we ever get together. All right, this you did very good. You're very reasonable. I appreciate this. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad to get chuck me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell us about your podcast, and then we are going to play. As you were forewarned, worst date or first date. You're gonna give us either the greatest first dake you've ever had, or the worst date. But before you do that, tell us about Sports Will Save Us All.
Speaker 4: My podcast is called Sports Will Save Us All. It is available wherever you listen to podcasts, and it's really about the unifying power of sports. So whether it is competitive hot dog eating or I have a championship roller skater coming on, I've talked to all sorts of pro athletes and coaches. People are amazing and I love talking to them and hearing their stories and being both inspired and humbled by them in every single interview.
Speaker 2: Isn't dating the ultimate support? Isn't love the ultimate support? It's certainly competitive.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of parallels, I gotta tell you. I mean, there's a reason why there's so many sports metaphors and dating.
Speaker 2: Right, being your best dating shape that will help stamina.
Speaker 3: Sports.
Speaker 2: Trust me, you get a lot of curve balls and be able to hit the curve ball, you better buy a lot in uh dating?
Speaker 1: All Right, worst date or first date?
Speaker 4: I'm going to give you both, because that's the type of person I am. My best first date was with my husband, not not surprisingly. We got back to my house and I had been on so many bad dates that I just decided on the way back. I was like, he can either kiss me or ask me again. And so I then just sat there in his car and he was like, I had a really good time, and it was like, yeah, I did too.
Speaker 3: Then I just sat there.
Speaker 1: I just waited.
Speaker 2: You know the good thing about that story, you were in his car. We don't get to pick you guys up anymore. And that leads to those moments are gone if you're in your uber.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotta let us pick you up.
Speaker 3: So eventually he said he had really like to see you again. It was like.
Speaker 4: Awesome, great, waved and I jumped out of the car and I went in and called my sister. My worst state was long before that, well not long enough before that.
Speaker 3: But so I lived in La. You've lived in La.
Speaker 4: I worked for a movie studio, which meant that I attracted all of these people who.
Speaker 3: Wanted to be in movies and in one way or another.
Speaker 4: So I was at the Dresden one night, of all places, and they were doing open mic night, and this guy got up there and he was a crooner and he had the Frank Sinatra hat and the whole thing. It should have like warned me but it didn't. I was very into it. He asked me out. His name was Patrick. I do not sing. I told him I do not sing, So he took me to a singing restaurant where everybody is expected to sing. Was not my time to shine, so already I was pretty uncomfortable. We got back to my house and he got his reel out of his trunk and wanted to show it to me.
Speaker 3: Of course, so we went into my house.
Speaker 4: He puts the reel in, I go to the bathroom, and when I came back, he's sitting on the couch, his reel is playing on my TV, and he has his shirt off. I mean, I understand there had been nothing up to this point that would have led him to believe that I would have wanted him to have his shirt off.
Speaker 3: And I am not about body.
Speaker 4: Shaming or hair shaming, but this was literally the hairriest Tuman I have ever seen. So the fact that he was leading with taking his shirt off with no invitation to do so, in completely a room as bright as this one, I was both later impressed, you know, like ballsy, I mean incredibly, But it was this, he thinks.
Speaker 2: The real and the shirtless combo platter was going to.
Speaker 1: Do it for you.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's all I can imagine.
Speaker 4: But I think that was one of the very rare times that I did go to somebody because I didn't even know what to say to him.
Speaker 1: Did you watch the reel? I thought him out of there? Okay, yeah that is what was? What are you're doing?
Speaker 4: I go by myself, and it was a little bit disconcerting to have this stream suddenly just.
Speaker 3: Robing to my house. Good.
Speaker 2: You know, it's worse the reel or the shirtless Yeah, very strange. It could have been the pants. It could have been worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. You were awesome.
Speaker 2: As far as us, please like, share, review, follow all the good things for this podcast and sports.
Speaker 1: We'll save us.
Speaker 2: All Your reviews mean a lot in the podcasting ecosystem.
Speaker 1: Shoot us an email.
Speaker 2: Great Lovedebate at gmail dot com if you have any thoughts on any of these we are going to maybe revisit. If you guys have different opinions on them, or things we should have done better, or if you're a competitive eater, have at it because, as always at a Great Love Debate, we never stopped making love.
Speaker 1: To see you next time.
Speaker 2: The Great Love debate.
Speaker 1: It's the great love to be.
Speaker 2: The great love to be.
Speaker 3: It's the great love to be.