Speaker 1: Fed up with the everyday grind, tied up from the summer heat, I want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape, escape designed to free you from the four walls of today, for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are trapped aboard an ill stated ocean liner captained by a dying man, while a mysterious stranger haunting you, menacing you, seems intent on sending you to destruction.
Speaker 3: Tonight, we escape to mid ocean and to the strange passengers aboard a stranger ship. As James Gould Cousins tells it in his gripping story s s. San Pedro, Right, Becky Hurway, it was hot.
Speaker 2: The heat rolled up from the Hoboken water punt and drifted in waves across the open bridge deck where I stood. The last few loads of passenger's luggage were being hoisted aboard. Thirty minutes the whistle on the forward stack would sound off, and the cargo liner San Pedro, carrying one hundred and seventy two passengers and two hundred and the crew with nose away from the pier and start the long run south to Buenos Aires. Then she'd become the great living animal she was meant to be no longer something built of paint and steel and tied to a pier. You get to feel that way after you've been a while at sea. You feel that your ship is a live thing, and that you're part of it. The captain is the biggest part, of course, the brain of the ship, the mentality that keeps her from turning idiot and dashing herself to pieces in her madness. The officers are the nerve centers, and the crew the hands and fingers and the twin turbines. Far down in the whole are the great driving muscles of the legs and silly maybe that you can feel it. And the passengers, well, to most of us officers, the passengers are the parasites of the ship.
Speaker 4: My, but you look confident, h I said. I'm glad you look confident, but you don't have to look so serious.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, miss. The passengers are not allowed on the bridge.
Speaker 4: I know that I've been on ships before, and I've never been thrown off a bridge yet.
Speaker 2: I have no intention of throwing you off, but I must ask.
Speaker 4: My name is Merrilee.
Speaker 2: How do you do Are you the captain?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, I'm Briddell the first officer.
Speaker 4: Oh, the captain's right hand man.
Speaker 2: You might put it that way now, if you'll.
Speaker 4: Please merrily is my first name?
Speaker 2: I assumed as much.
Speaker 4: Oh, well, I'll just call you Briddell. Then maybe you'll loosen up when we get further south. At least you have to dance with me in the evening. It's part of your duty.
Speaker 2: Well, i'll be I'll be happy to in the line of duty a.
Speaker 4: Regular machine, aren't you. I think this is.
Speaker 2: Going to be fun well in the meantime, please be kind enough now, yes, mister driscool, what is it? Captain's compliments? Sarry like to see you in his cabin. Run away, I'm good. Take charge of the bridge, mister DRIs schools. The luggage is already a board, and Packe is on the wind. She's pretty drunk, but myro seems to be able to handle them. All right, mister Bredell, I'll watch him, and please make sure the young lady finds so way back to the passenger deck.
Speaker 4: Don't worry, Braddell, I know how to get any place. I won't get.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 2: Our tech officers get all the breaks. There's your little friend, Briddell. Uh passenger cock eyed nuisance. You can have her sparks. Good.
Speaker 7: Maybe I can teach you the cold I doubt it.
Speaker 2: Well, you get a lot of the captain's visitors.
Speaker 7: Brace yourself, boy.
Speaker 2: I understand you sent for me, captain.
Speaker 8: Oh, mister Ruddell, Hey, yes, I did my boy everything in order on deck?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, we'll say in about twenty minutes. Good good, mister Rudell.
Speaker 8: Oh, i'd like to present a friend of mine, doctor Percival.
Speaker 9: How do you do, mister Braddell. I don't wonder at your surprise my appearance is somewhat strange. I'm sorry, sir. No, no, I'm quite used to such a reaction. I am well aware that I closely resemble a corpse.
Speaker 8: Well, mister Raddell, I wonder if you'd mind showing doctor Percival around the ship and.
Speaker 2: Captain clintonning we sail in twenty minutes.
Speaker 9: A very brief tour will show me all I weave to see, mister Riddell.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe after we get under way.
Speaker 8: I can't No, doctor Percival isn't sailing with us, mister Raddell. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes. I'd show him around myself. But I'm I'm not feeling too well. The man wears out, I guess starts to break down like a machine machine.
Speaker 2: That's what she said. What's that, mister, h Nothing, nothing, sir, Well, Shall we get started, doctor Percival. I showed him through the empty dining salon, along the boat deck and the promenade. We opened the bulkhead door and looked down through the gratings into the engine room, and everywhere we walked, people drew back and stared silently until we passed, and then whispered together behind us. We met merrily, and she started to speak, and then her face turned white, and she passed us without a word. Doctor Percival paid no attention to any of them. His gaunt, gray face never changed expression, and those dark, hollow eyes stared straight ahead. His twisted hands were covered by gloves made of soft gray leather, and he reached out with him from time to time and touched things as we passed, almost caressing them. It was almost repulsive for some reason. Finally we wound up at the port rail of the offices deck, and I showed him how to reach the gang plank. I presume these are the offices quarters along here.
Speaker 5: Mister Bridell.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. The port cabins here, and the same thing over on the starboard. There are a few spares we use for a sick base when we have to.
Speaker 9: I see nearly four hundred people on board. Quite a responsibility, especially for the captains.
Speaker 2: Yes, he has his hands full, right, and if something should happen to him, oh well I'm next in charge. Only nothing will happen. What causes that sound? Right? Myra? Oh they're the ship's engines, will be here, bring them for the next ten days. Hmm.
Speaker 9: Mister Bdell, have you noticed that your ship is not floating level?
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 9: This side of the deck, the port side. I think you said. It's a good deal lower than the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, we do have a slight list of port hadn't noticed it? Well, it's nothing serious. Will corrected with the ballast tanks as soon as we're underway now, sir. If the captain is an old man, he's in bad shape. Not according to the ship's doctor. I am his doctor now, and I don't believe I care to discuss it, sir, nor I I only mention it. Thank you, mister Braddell for showing me what I wish to see. I'll be going now, fine, fine, fine, glad I've had your born. Now straight down that ladder now. By dinner that evening, we were one hundred and forty miles at sea. The sun dropped behind a red haze and brought out a clear, starry night sky. Merrily had somehow wangled a place at my table, but held herself down to an occasional knowing grin that the other passengers probably misinterpreted. I dodged her afterwards, checked over the cargo plant for a while, trying to find some reason for the strange port list that was getting a little more pronounced, and finally dropped into the wireless shack aw hyeb down. Get bored with social life? Yeah, yeah, it's not the heat, it's the femininity. You should squawk.
Speaker 7: The only time I see a girl on board this tub is when they come into wire for money at the next port. Well, I know one you can have, and that's just the one i'd take too.
Speaker 2: You're crazy, Briddell. Maybe you picked up anything. No, I've been talking to the Toledo.
Speaker 7: He's about a hundred miles ahead of us, making seventeen knots, so we'll probably tailor all the way south.
Speaker 2: Mm yeah h she.
Speaker 7: Started hitting some bad weather about an hour ago. Guys, we'll be getting it too. Probably make all your lady friends.
Speaker 2: See good and see if you can hurry it up. Here's the captain in the chart room.
Speaker 7: Yeah, call from here ten minutes ago. A. How'd you like that character that came aboard to see Oh, doctor Percival?
Speaker 2: Uh huh you can have him too, eh, see you later.
Speaker 10: Alright, I'll let you know if I get any more in the storm, right sung, Oh, mister Bridell, right, all for it.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, I wanted to no, wait, wait, and.
Speaker 2: Good evening, captain.
Speaker 8: Oh er, mister Riddell, I've been writing up the night orders.
Speaker 2: Who has the first watch? Riscal? Yes, sir, then everly and good.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: By the way, mister Riddell, I appreciate your showing.
Speaker 2: Doctor Percy will around this afternoon. Oh, I'm glad to do it, Captain say, is he nah an old friend of yours?
Speaker 8: No? No, I met him quite recently. Uh, mister Briddell, what's this port list? It's getting worse? Shows eight degrees on the klinometer now, uh, I've had one pump on the ballast tanks in three o'clock. I better put on another one. It worries me. Bad weather up ahead, you know, Yes, I just talked to Morris. Wonder if we're making any water?
Speaker 2: H I I don't think so. I'll check with the engine room if you like.
Speaker 8: Yes, I wish you would. Canton fought to take any chances.
Speaker 2: Bdell, here we go. Riad captain wants your film soundings. Call him back right trot room.
Speaker 8: I'm I'm tired tonight, mister Bludell. Don't feel so well. M I guess the man's bound to get old sometime.
Speaker 2: Well, that's still some years ahead of you, sir, I doubt it, doubted very much. Well, can't do much about it. Oh I I meant to tell you.
Speaker 8: The steward reported this afternoon that he couldn't get into number seven port cabin in the office's deck.
Speaker 2: And you couldn't get into it.
Speaker 8: The door seems to be stuck. Don't know what's wrong. We should look into all.
Speaker 2: Right, sir. I'll have myro look into it. I think he's up.
Speaker 11: An nuh, that must be the injured room. But Dell right right, alright, thanks, I mean Gilbrey says all the builders are.
Speaker 8: Dry, sir, good I I well, I guess there's no reason why they shouldn't be that.
Speaker 2: A man gets old. Well, I'll go to speak to myro captain and see about putting another pump on the ballast tanks.
Speaker 8: Good good, I'm I'm going to turn in in a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Good night, mister Briddell. Good night Captain.
Speaker 4: Well, I knew you would have to come out sometime.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 4: Look, miss relaxed Braudell, you have a terribly romantic profile. We're getting closer to the tropics.
Speaker 2: All the time I've been there before. I'll bet you have I listen if you want to.
Speaker 4: Why don't you be human for once? You keep on and you'll end up looking like your ghoulish friend you were showing around this afternoon.
Speaker 2: He was no friend of mine.
Speaker 4: It should be a rule against taking passengers who look like that. It gives me the creeps.
Speaker 2: Well, for your information, we we didn't take him. He went ashore.
Speaker 4: Oh you'd be a good liar, Briddell if I hadn't seen him myself a half an hour ago. Uh where you went into one of those cabins right down there ahead of.
Speaker 2: Us on the on the office's deck. You you didn't notice which one?
Speaker 4: Yes? I did, as a matter of fact, was number seven?
Speaker 2: Seven? Man? All right, come on now.
Speaker 4: Look, Bridelle, I don't want to meet the guy. I don't want to have anything to do with him. Gave me the shivers just to look at him.
Speaker 2: Is this the one number seven?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: You notice a little crossbar on the door handle. Yes, it's turned straight up and down. Yes, that means the door's unlocked.
Speaker 4: Now all right, but it doesn't open.
Speaker 2: That's right, because it's jammed. The steward reported it this afternoon, not a half hour ago, so you're not much of a liar yourself.
Speaker 4: But I saw him go in this door.
Speaker 2: Sure tell you I did.
Speaker 4: I saw him?
Speaker 2: Oh Myron, no, no, no, thing's wrong. This door is apparently jammed. We should try to get it open to when you have a chance, all right, sir, and myro when you do, please please ad bias this young lady. She's very curious about what's inside the cabin.
Speaker 5: Uh, good night, mister Bridell.
Speaker 2: Mister wake up? Oh my, what's the matter, mister Risker? Once you on the bridge, sir, we've got some pretty.
Speaker 6: Bad weather and I can feel it how long has it been this way? Since midnight? But it's getting worse. The stewart says, some glass broken the promenade deck.
Speaker 2: We've shipped water in the forward hole. All right, myro tell Driscllann'll be on the bridge in five minutes. Get going. It was fairly bad on deck. Dawn was just breaking with light enough to make out the long, high swells charging into us one after another, the tops of their crests ripped and torn by the driving wind. We were taking them on the quarter, rolling pretty badly, and shipping water on the port bow at every roll. And if anything, that list had grown worse during the night.
Speaker 1: Oh bad you're here, mister Brittell having a rather bad gulvid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we've seen worse. As the captain been called, Oh sir, I thought i'd better wait for you, right, No need to call them. Where's Ebery? Took some men down to the forehead hole.
Speaker 3: We're shipping water on the port side every time.
Speaker 2: With yeah, I know, I know a miro. See if you can get them on the phone. Good lord. We're listing eleven degrees now. Those pumps still going in the ballast tanks all night, sir. The tanks are two thirds empty. Now I understand it. I think the coon is dead in the forward holding.
Speaker 5: Mister, I can get enough signal.
Speaker 2: All right, myro, you go on down there and see what the trouble is. Report back, yes, sir, h eleven degrees. Can't see any reason moment.
Speaker 12: Oh, I'll take it there, risk go ahead, Yes, I know, I know, all right, I'll.
Speaker 5: Speak to him.
Speaker 12: Mcgilbury says, they're taking quite a beating in the engine role months and know if we can't slack off.
Speaker 2: This roll, Yeah, yeah, I think we better. It's no use beating ourselves to death against those swells. Bedell, captain, sorry to bother you. It's all right boy.
Speaker 5: What is it.
Speaker 2: Permission to change courts?
Speaker 5: Sir?
Speaker 2: We're taking a bad swell in our quarter. Grab whatever you think best, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 5: Uh need me for anything?
Speaker 2: No, no, sir, I'll report later, all right, mister dresscool new course. He's off fourteen degrees and then hold due south. He's off fourteen degrees. Hold those south, sir. I'm going to the wireless room, all right, sir. We ought to be out of this by afternoon. It's windy, isn't it, Merrily? What the devil? Are you doing on.
Speaker 4: Deck getting rained on?
Speaker 2: Mostly? Haven't you got me? Since we're shipping water on the fore deck? You want to get washed over? Would you care? Bredell? Look, it costs money to stop a ship. Now listen, get below.
Speaker 4: I'm still waiting to see inside number seven caviny.
Speaker 2: Oh, Burdell.
Speaker 7: They're kind of shaking us well before using, aren't they.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just changed the course. Should ease this roll a little, Maurris, what's the nearest chip to us?
Speaker 7: Still at Toledo, about seventy miles south. They say it's raining down there.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine there's nothing any any closer? Well, nothing that I've been able. Hey, you don't figure, No, no, no, there's no danger, Morris, just just routine.
Speaker 7: Well, I'll see what I can pick up statics not making it, Oh Maris, Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's here. It's feel thanks. But the speaking dress, sir, Yeah.
Speaker 12: The Guildridge just called, wants permission to put all pumps.
Speaker 2: To work on the build on the bilge.
Speaker 12: But four as we're making water from somewhere, he's got forty inches in the stokehold.
Speaker 2: It's probably coming from that forward hole. As soon as everyone gets the bulkhead closes, we'll be able to wait a second hold on. Myro just came in. What do you find out?
Speaker 6: Mister Reblin needs more men, sir. Some of those big great shifted. They knocked out most of the forward bulk hit knocked out.
Speaker 2: Mister discom yes all the captain and ask him to meet me on the bridge immediately. Next hours were a nightmare, and all through the day inn of the evening, terrified passengers huddled in the lounges in the salon, not knowing just how great the danger might be. Fearing the worst. At eleven a m one of the pumps broke down, and the san Pedro settled a little lower as the water gained in the bilges. At one thirty pumped back in operation, and for a while we held our own down on the forward hole. Men fought a heart breaking battle and water up to their arm pits, and tried to throw up a temporary bulkhead. The five point fifteen, a heavy sea crashed through the steward's pantry. Six men vanished overboard in a smother of foam. All night long we fought the sea and lost the battle foot by foot. A strange list of port grew worse by dawn. We were leaning over eighteen degrees, shipping tons of water with every roll. Riscal here right, all right, hold on, what is it?
Speaker 12: DRIs Gil on the phone, Sir says he's had to pull the fire in one boiler. He's going to do in the second one once and know if you reduce speed to steerageway otherwise he hasn't got steam enough for the pumps. All right, tell him yes, gel right bright else says, okay, take it now, one third speed, all right, helm straight to one third. Unfounded, Sir, captain ought to be here in the bridge, been at this.
Speaker 3: Cabin for the last four hours.
Speaker 2: He's got no business to still do, mister Drisco. Oh yes, sorry, sir, uh forget it. You're right at that. You haven't got much time to make up our minds. Now, how are the passengers my row? Film or answer? The stewarts are turned to keep him come, they're all in life. Preserve the way we're healed over. We can't use the starboard boats now, and in another hour there won't be enough steam for the winches on the port side. Well, hello, hello, now what the devil?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: The Captain's phone's dead too. Myro got out to the captain's cabin ask him to come up, Yes, sir, but you can't chance it any longer, Driscoll. At least we can start a call out while the captain's on his way here, right Marris here, Ruddell and Bridge. You still sending CQ.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, repeats it five minutes you picked up anything the talte off as a Canard liner one hundred miles north.
Speaker 2: That's not much help.
Speaker 3: How bad are are we, sir?
Speaker 2: Bad enough? You can start sending in SOS. Now give me position and anything you pick up and stand by for further orders. Right, this is it? Then what else, mister Driscoll?
Speaker 6: It may be too late as it is, mister Rudyes, the captain, sir, he's in his BoNT dead.
Speaker 2: Lord, well he was right there. Men get old machines where off? I think he's been dead for some time. It's probably so, Miro. Did you do you ever get that port cabin door open? Didn't have any chance? But what difference does it make now? None? I guess I just wondered, all right, mister Drisco, Yes, sir, but a general order on the PA emergency. All officers stand by boat stations, prepared to abandon ship. Yes, Sir, now go ahead.
Speaker 5: Attention.
Speaker 8: All officers stand by boat stations.
Speaker 5: Prepare to abandoned ship.
Speaker 3: All officers stand by boat station, prepare to abandoned ship.
Speaker 5: All officer.
Speaker 2: Her brain allady gone. The ship was dying. I knew that. I stayed alone on the bridge, tried to quiet her death throes, tried to hold back the confusion of idiocy that shook her limbs and parts. The wind was gone now, and a thick gray haw blanketed the decks and the sea beyond. Boats were lowered and swallowed up in it, one by one, Some of them lowered poorly to spill their human freight into the hungry wet mouth of the sea. We were low in the water, down at the head, already the boughs were awash. Suddenly I noticed that the strange list of port was was no longer with us. Why we were floating level? And then for her? For no sane reason, I wondered if the changed angle had let the door of number seven cabins swing open. I left the bridge and hurried forward. The door was ajar and swung gently with the movement of the ship. I pushed it open and stepped into the cabin.
Speaker 5: It was empty.
Speaker 2: In the air was a strange, dry, musty smell, like old flowers long pressed in the pages of a book. At that moment, I turned and the water was moving slowly toward me. Up the passageway. Heard myro shout the order for casting off the last boat. I left the cabin, ran for the bridge.
Speaker 4: Hello, bridell merrily glad to see me.
Speaker 2: What do you know, Oh, the last boat just went over the side.
Speaker 4: Sure, I was about to get in a boat. Then I changed my mind. Why when it's your time, you can't do much about it? And I knew what it was when he first looked at me.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about? When who looked at you?
Speaker 4: That guy you called doctor Percival.
Speaker 2: He's not on board. I just came from Captain seven. It's empty, of course it is.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: He's out prowling around the boat somewhere.
Speaker 2: I saw him go ashore before we left.
Speaker 4: New York, and I saw him three minutes ago.
Speaker 2: They're crazy.
Speaker 4: He was standing beside that lifeboat, the one I didn't get in.
Speaker 2: That lifeboat was your last chance to live? Why didn't you take it.
Speaker 4: I thought it wouldn't be so lonesome to come here.
Speaker 2: And die with you.
Speaker 4: But you wouldn't have died, oh, Bradell. Don't you know yet? It wouldn't have made any difference, no matter what we did, not with doctor Percival on board.
Speaker 2: What has doctor Percival got to do with it?
Speaker 4: Everything? When that lifeboat hit the water, it capsized. I knew it would, So you say I'd have died anyway, Bdell. The water is coming up fast in.
Speaker 2: The house, Yeah, sinking fast. He'll go under any second.
Speaker 4: He must be on his way here. We should be hearing his footsteps.
Speaker 2: Who in the name of Heaven is doctor Percival?
Speaker 4: Who do you think he is?
Speaker 3: Escape is produced and directed by Norman MacDonell. Tonight we have brought you s s. San Pedro by James Gould Cousins, adapted for radio by Les Crutchfield, with editorial supervision by John Duncle. Featured in Tonight's cast were John Danner and Charlotte Lawrence, with Jeff Corey, Don Diamond, Harry Bartel, Larry Dabkin, and Janeavello. Special music by Ivan Ditmars.
Speaker 1: Next week, you were standing in the light of an arc lamp by a cathedral in Mexico City, looking at a body lying in the grass. And then a great theor comes over you, and you wonder if you are a haunted man.
Speaker 3: Next week we escape with Ralph Bates most on you usual story the Haunted Man. Good night, then until this same time next week, when once again we offer you escape. Roy Ron speaking for CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System