Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, five o'clock hour Here on a Monday afternoon coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. The Monday after Derby weekend is always always a little rough for some folks who really do it big.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: If I can say that I do it big, but busy.
Speaker 4: Saturday was a busy day for us.
Speaker 2: But it was also one of those days where, like I think I can say this knowing I'm telling the truth and not fibbing. But I now have somebody here who was there with me that can reinforce this. Like it's a it's a good gig to have, but like it's a day of work, like we it's it's you know, there's some perks that come with it. Clearly, Austin you would agree, But I mean I was pooped on Saturday evening because of just walking around. I mean, it's just a non stop day and it's a lot of fun. Again, it's hard for me to think about it being worked when I'm there, but a lot of work goes into it. But Derby is is the best and uh, I'm still kind of tired.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But noon today is when I really felt Okay, here we go, let's get ready to do the show. I've now recharged the batteries enough. But did you have a late night Saturday's you call it early?
Speaker 5: Would you?
Speaker 2: Would you would you end up doing after the Derby?
Speaker 6: I I just went I just went home. Yeah, and I think I laid down for like a minute, and then it.
Speaker 3: Was I was just pushed out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was something in me that still kind of wanted to go out and parted because I'm the kind of guy I don't I don't want the night to end.
Speaker 2: Well, so that's I mean, when the night ends, you know, uh, it's for a lot of people on any given night, right, you're calling it a day, but the Derby is such a special day every year that we get. But when you call it a night, that means, you know, the Derby's the Derby experience is over. So I totally can relate. There's a lot of people, I'm sure that you know Sunday morning, when they wake up, they kind of have Okay, now I'm awake and I realize it's Sunday.
Speaker 4: I guess that does it. I guess it's over.
Speaker 2: But for me, you know, once I ended up leaving, getting to a derby party for just a little while, and then heading home. And I don't really I think we maybe we had some half assed plans, if you will, meaning like we we kind of threw it out there, like we might go home and freshen up and then go out and see some friends at their house and and you know, kind of join in on another derby party, you know, maybe have some beverages, enjoy the company of friends. But I think as my wife and I were making our way back home, I think we kind of deep down knew that we weren't gonna like it wasn't gona happen, Like we were so wiped out that it was just gonna probably be one of those nights. And I had a phenomenal derby day. But I am I'm you know, I'm not embarrassed to tell you I was in bed before ten o'clock. Wasn't intentional, but I got I got on the recliner, and all of a sudden, it was it.
Speaker 3: Was getting it was night night. What did what did what did the Moose think of the Derby?
Speaker 2: He screamed like crazy during the race. Good, he was into it, and uh, he knew that his horse didn't win, but he took it in stride. You know, he didn't last year. I think he cried because, you know, he was just so upset and sad. But now, you know, he knows that you're not going to win them all.
Speaker 3: That's horse racing.
Speaker 2: And whenever we were out at the track working, my wife she'd already been at this derby party with the kids for a little while. And when I showed up, Moose had already won a couple of races, maya won one. So they did well even though we didn't have any winners in the many different types of bets that we made for for the Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 3: Moose, I'm convinced was a jockey in a previous life.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He he asked me in front of others, uh, because they were showing me. He the the He's been into horse racing since he can probably remember as far as just watching it on you know, going to the track and watching it whenever we can go. And then obviously he watches the you know, the Derby on TV and hell hill, if if we're at not even kidding, if we're at a restaurant and there's you know, twenty TVs at a sports bar and one of them happens to be on horse racing, that's anywhere in the world on one of those tvg FanDuel channels. He'll watch that, like he'll just sit and watch like he had how much he likes it. But the lead up to the derby is it's about to run when they show the entire you know, the jockeys getting ready to get set. So he was really interested in that. And then you know, he asked a question that was just a you know, a genuine question from a four year old, but you know, made me a little insecure about my height.
Speaker 4: Because he said, Daddy, can you be a jockey?
Speaker 2: Like well son? Technically no, off, Yeah, too tough to be a jockey. I think what I told him, and I'm not even sure if this is true, but I said, that may be the only job in the world that I that I am not qualified for because I'm too tall.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, And he was like.
Speaker 2: Too tall and I was like, yeah, you know, jockeys are usually pretty short. And then a couple of people they got, they got some laughs in at my expense.
Speaker 4: But it's okay.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not a big tall guy, but you need to show him, well, he's not much shorter than me. It seems like these days you need.
Speaker 6: To show him the Secretariat run at the Belmont where he clears everybody by what thirty one links I think is what he ended up winning by. And I was ever since a Derby, my whole TikTok feed has been filled with horse racing, and that just happened to come up. And my goodness, how impressive that was A machine, A fine machine, is what the is what the announcer said, as this guy's pulling away as secretariats pulling away at the Bellmont to win the Triple Crown, and you just it's literally him running down that final final furlong and they'll see everybody else.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 6: Just kind of like it's it's just amazing, and there's there's some fun stuff as I dive into the comments that the that the jockey Ron Turcott, right, if I if I remember correctly, was he didn't even have to tell Secretary to go, He just did it. And it said it took him almost another half lap to slow him down because he wanted to keep on going.
Speaker 4: Just showing what he's all about.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 6: I think that the next best horse to probably come to Secretary, it's probably American Pharaoh because he was blowing dudes out too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's those two as far as just you know, things we thought we'd never see again and then sure enough we got was it justify?
Speaker 3: Yes? Two years?
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: I always keep I always always forget the name of the of the second triple crown winner that we had in a relatively short amount of time. And not to say that it wasn't as you know, I mean impressive. If you get that done, you're doing something special. That's uh, that's fair.
Speaker 6: Pharaoh ended up doing the whole uh what do they what do they call it the Grand Slam because he ended up winning the uh, the the Breeders Cup right after that, something that uh Secretariat and every day, But the Breeders Cup wasn't around when Secretary was during his run. So, uh, those two probably stand above them all.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 2: And we'll see what what shakes out here with sovereignty. But obviously I've been, I've been. I think it's the best way to describe it. I've mentioned this a couple of times throughout the show today that it was clearly a horse that you heard about. It was one of the top horses as far as odds. It just didn't seem to me to get the love that you saw Sandman Journalist mostly journalism. Honestly, Sadman became the real buzz pick day of I mean, I'm not kidding you, not just because it was your horse, and I became a big you know, a big supporter, and that was what I was riding with once once we got there Saturday.
Speaker 4: But anybody I talked.
Speaker 2: To mentioned mentioned Sandman. So uh didn't have a great race, but uh, you know, I.
Speaker 6: Got me one of those happy lessons that said, I'm I'm betting on sam Man as the first time I ever got a button, a nice n I had to I had. I wanted to call my shot so bad.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you weren't. You weren't the only one, trust me. There was many people that felt confident in UH in that one. But obviously sovereignty got it done. And we'll see what happens with the rest of the Uh. The two legs of the triple crown and obviously the the win is huge, uh for for for Mott, right, I don't want to keep blaking on his name, yes, Bell Mohot. But yeah, so the story we talked about a little bit earlier, I just I happened to think this is really interesting and it's when when when look, we rely on marketing dollars to you know, be able to feed our family. That's how radio works, right, and it's a you know, it's it's it's a good investment, right, but when you can when you can end up just buy luck or minor creativity, really get some big time exposure that you didn't really have to pay anything for. I just think that's cool. And obviously Bill Mott's family at some point has become they became fans of Joe's older than Dirt the bar here in London, and I just think to see pictures of the winning trainer, Bill de Mott at your establishment right after he wins Kentucky Derby one fifty one, like and you know you didn't have it's not a paid appearance by him. He just you know, he knew he won the derby and that's where he wanted to go and it became a story in itself because you know, he just won the derby, He's the man of the hour. I just love when that kind of stuff works out. So little interesting things like that are really what I like to kind of focus on after the derby, because again, as you as you all likely know, I'm not somebody that is, you know, super well versed in the sport of horse racing, but being there on Saturday, and I'm gonna kind of reset a little bit here for those just now joining.
Speaker 4: Us, you know, the experience that is being.
Speaker 2: At the Kentucky Derby, Like it just seemed to be something I was more in the in the moment with that, I don't mean just for me, but just everybody else, right, because you know, the the generic questions I would ask some of the some of the fans there that that that I talked to to have on our our broadcast for eight forty w BHAs you know the typical Hey, you know where you're from, how many derbies you've been to?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: That's really the icebreaker and you know, nobody at all I think even I mean, you don't want nasty, sloppy weather, but I think you know, one of the one of the no brainers that I guess really I had never considered until you know, Saturday, when it was awful weather. I mean again, it wasn't as if it it really didn't seem to rain a whole lot, but it had rained enough right before you know, the gates opened, and it really the sun never came out, and then there was some time where there was there showers. It was just a sloppy, nasty, nasty day. But if you're going to the Kentucky Derby, you're not making the decision to be there and go there based off weather. I mean again, you want good weather, but it's such an event that you know, hey, look we're gonna go and we're just gonna be at the mercy of whatever whatever weather we end up getting. So for it to be kind of as sloppy as it was, it did not seem to impact anyone's and I mean anyone's I don't want to I don't want to say interest, but like just their morale. Like it was, you could just tell the people there like they knew they were at a really special place. And as I've mentioned before, as someone who's been in Louis of my whole life, when I'm at Churchill Downs anytime, and I guess initially derby before I got to realizing that there's so many people there. In fact, the majority of the people there are not from anywhere around here. Like it's just cool to to you know, like I now will look forward every year. Not that I don't look forward to it every year, but like I'll now you know, I guess have a more appreciation for just acknowledge you just just seeing that there's so many people that make this such a big event. And that doesn't do anything for me, right, I mean, I don't. I don't benefit from having so many people across the world decided to come to Louisville, Kentucky for a horse race that takes place once a year.
Speaker 4: But you know, this is where I'm from.
Speaker 2: This is where I will probably always live, and to have such a big time event, you know, have so many people that want to be here for it, I mean that's something I'll I think I now have a better appreciation for it. Even if you can't be here, you're clearly still going to try to watch it because viewership, I mean, seventeen point seven million was the average viewership for the race itself. The peak was twenty one point eight million, And I mean that, I mean, I think by throwing those numbers out there, I think people realize that's pretty impressive. But maybe we can do a little bit of a quick look and see what you kind of compare that to, because the Derby is one of the biggest events of the year in sports, and I mean those type of events. I mean, there's no decline in like interest level of sports, and I don't think anybody ever really assumed that there was. But it was a gradual thing to kind of get back after the pandemic, right if you remember, we went without sports for a while, and then you know, we weren't really able to do anything because we had restrictions. So when sports came back, you know, you just assume that what else is anybody gonna do? They're gonna watch sports because we're kind of all still not back to when we're not we're not back to normal life yet.
Speaker 4: And yet the numbers weren't great.
Speaker 2: I think more than anything, it was because a variety of things, but mostly like the people who were casuals, if they knew it was, you know, an empty arena and games canceled here and there because of weird test results, like it just that's the people that those people weren't gonna watch. But big events like the Derby, I mean it seems as if they've never been more popular as far as getting viewership. So yeah, great Derby weekend, you know, despite the weather. And I now I'm gonna make it a point and not even bring that up next year. I mean, obviously we will track it and hope for a great sunny and beautiful day. But when I was leaving, it just started to rain a little bit harder when I was getting off the shuttle and walking back to my car, And it never really like got bad, but you know, I started to pick up my pace a little bit of my walk because I didn't want to get as wet. And I'm just thinking, you know what, like, despite all this, I didn't think I didn't see a single person that you know, looked as if they were regretting coming because you know, of the weather. And one of the one of the voices that you heard on our interviews that we had was kirkirk Street. Scott Fitzgerald got a good interview with Kirk Kirk Street and get and you hear that in the uh, you hear that in the montage, which if you missed that, we will reset that in its entirety coming up here before too long. But I saw herb Street earlier at you know, I can't I can't think of what section it was, but it's like right when you get off the elevator in that like main area where you've got like the sports book and whatnot. Yes, I can get anywhere I need to get at Churchill, I just can't think of I'm not great at describing the locations precisely. But you know, he was around some of his boys. I think his son, who I believe at Tens, Michigan, of all places, I think he was with him at the time. I don't think he was when Scott got the interview, but he really blended in, and you know, he's a he's a handsome celebrity. And I kind of remember thinking, like, man, not many people realize that's Kirk IRV Street and I feel like I should have realized it ahead of time. But then I'm like, you know what famous celebrities they really If there's ever a place for them to blend in, it's at Churchill Down's un Derby day Because nearly everybody there seemingly is beautiful, and they, you know, I would believe you who told me that they're famous and they're this and that as far as accomplishments and success, because yeah, they got the look that makes me believe you can tell me whatever, and yeah, no, no doubt. I bet that person is a movie star. I just didn't recognize them. I bet that person is, you know, a professional golfer that is phenomenal, But I just you know, he's blended in because everybody's got their nice suits on and everybody's just beautiful. So it's a and if you are able to successfully bring in people who you know, really want to be seen at a place like that. They wanted to be clear on their social media is that they're there and that's something that they attend because they're you know, they want to show off. Like I don't know, this year, I'm sure it would be nice every year if my experience of helping with our coverage at the Derby, I'm able to take something away that like I maybe didn't really pay much attention to prior. For me this year, it was fashion and it was one of the interviews I got with the guy that. I mean, I had to stop him. He was just he was looking at his program and he's probably in his in his sixties, but he had on seemingly every color that exists from head to toe, with a nice, nice pair of shoes, a suit, tie hat. I mean, he was he was looking like a million bucks and he had all those colors together, but somehow they were all working together as one. Like he just looked phenomenal. And I asked him, you know, what is it. What is it about the Derby that you just, you know, you got to be here every year and he just fashion and I'm you know, he started telling me, you know, he's you know, everybody here, there's attension to.
Speaker 4: Detail with every little outfit.
Speaker 2: Uh and I and again, someone who doesn't have style and fashion at least not to that level by any means. I never really thought about that, but from then on I started to pay attention. I'm thinking, you know what, like that person, they probably are considered to be super stylish and fashionable. And this may be like if they're bringing out the best, the best outfit they have, you know, for the year, it might be on this day because you know, it's Derby Day. So let's see the announced wagering from all sources of the entire day of races on Saturday, three hundred and forty nine million dollars, which breaks the previous record of three hundred and twenty million dollars which was set just last year. So yeah, they're they're doing well over there when it comes to to money.
Speaker 3: Right, I don't think Churchill Dollars was a part of that.
Speaker 2: I mean, that is a lot of money, no doubt. All Right, So let's see. This story is one that I I it's not really time sensitive, but it's so wild that like we need to talk about it now because and I'm sure by now you may have heard of it, but there was a couple that ended up winning the was it the power ball? Yeah, the Kentucky the couple from well, I'm sorry. It was a mother and son that won the power ball in Georgetown, Kentucky. So the story, the initial story is actually about a week old, and that was because not this past weekend, with the weekend before, there was a man and his mother who I guess collectively you know, shared that they have the winning two dollars power ball ticket that won them one hundred and sixty seven point three million dollars.
Speaker 3: Oh my gos so.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, one day.
Speaker 2: After these these two people mother, in fact, there were three people, mother and son and then son's girlfriend. They were posing with that giant check you know that that gets taken at the Kentucky Lottery showing off the winnings. And again I think the son, who's fifty, he's technically the winner, but obviously I think his mother either gave him money for the ticket or he bought it for I don't really know, but there was some sort of like, hey, you know, Mother's Day is gonna be great this year, and basically saying, you know, with one hundred and sixty seven point three million, his mother's not going to go without, you know, with her I'm left here, however old she is. But he also had a girlfriend that was with him in the photo as well, which was kind of you know, I don't know if that's usual. I don't know if that's normal or not to have you know, people involved that aren't really like technically she's not married, she's just a girlfriend. They're really close, but I guess technically she would have no like legal right to any of the money, you know, if they were married to be different stories. Anyways, this is kind of like I mean, I remember Vinetti said it on Vnetti said it on Monday or Tuesday of last week, when this became a story that they'd won, that these are the kind of people that you want to win the lottery, right, not somebody who's already rich or you know, but these are just you know, your average Kentucky folks. And there was a gentleman who's fifty who you know, him and his mom. I don't know if they lived together, what it is, but they won, and you know, you thought kind of the story was going to be over. Not so much because a day after they posted they posed for that that you know, that fancy picture that everybody you know sees that one hundred and sixty seven point three million dollar check. They had a legal situation on their hands, so they quickly made their way out of Kentucky and ended up in Pinellas County, Florida, and they've since been arrested. And like, this is something that I'm going to follow. I'm going to follow in a major way just because it's like, again, it's something you can't make up. It's something you see, like in a movie. So let me see if I can pull up the original story that has like all the actual details here. But I mean, these two end up getting arrested in Florida, meaning the guy who won it and his girlfriend who he brought to you know, take the picture.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it wasn't the mom.
Speaker 2: It wasn't the mom, and it was a I mean, we're talking felony charges. It was apparently a bar brawl. One of the I mean one of the charges stems from I believe the girlfriend kicking a cop in the face. So what's happened here is like, you know, I guess the funny, the funny, you know, like it maybe funny is not the right way to to really describe it, but you know, somebody who won one hundred and sixty seven million is already partying and already letting that money get him in trouble because they're getting drunk and you know, get arrested. But this man who won the lottery and then the next days in Florida partying, who gets arrested. He was out on parole, so like his charges, I don't know again, if there's been an update since this happened late last week, I think it was on Friday, because it's one of those things you like, wait a second, that can't be free. That's something you can't make up. Like he might have won one hundred and sixty seven point three million dollars and then within within a day he's partying and celebrating, gets himself in legal trouble to where he'll never be able to like, you know, I shouldn't say never, but like he might go back to prison. Imagine thinking you just won one hundred and sixty seven million dollars and then all of a sudden you realize you got to go back to you know, you got to go back to the pen.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, this is the this is the story I was looking for. Apologizes. I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't find the actual link that I originally saw this, but yeah, this is from Yahoo News. The Kentucky man is facing battery charges after police say struck an officer a day after cashing out as one hundred and sixty seven point three million powered a million dollar Powerwall prize. The incident happened at the popular Trade Winds resort in Panelas County, Florida, on Tuesday, evening the arrest Abidavid states that James Farthing was in a fight with another guest when officers arrived. As a deputy stepped in to break it up. The Abbidavid states that Farthing kicked him in the face and tried to run. He now bases charges of battery on a law enforcement officer in resisting arrest. His girlfriend, Jacqueline fight Master what a Name, was also arrested for disorderly intoxication. WKY interviewed Farthing about his powerball winnings just the day before the incident. The fifty year old said he'd been splitting he'd be splitting the prize with his mother Linda, and yeah, now, yeah, it looks like I can't this this story. He didn't didn't include it, but there was one that the initial one that actually I think came from a Florida news station that covered it because they realized, wait a second, this arrest reported these the people that just won a bunch of money, And sure enough it was so. I mean, even if he does go back on like a parole violation or whatever it is, like probably wouldn't be like a crazy amount of time. But I mean, again, you can't make this up. Win the lottery, go to Florida the next day, get arrested, go back to prison. Like you know, he was clearly on the up and well I shouldn't say on the up and up, but like he was out and seemingly, you know, he wasn't in jail. He was free to go play the lottery, won it, and then you know, Night's in troubles. So crazy stuff. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side, probably a quick segment here on the other side, because I'm gonna make sure we have enough time to get you the full, the full version of all of our you know, the highlights essentially of our coverage on Saturday at Kentucky Derby one fifty one.
Speaker 4: So stick with us right here.
Speaker 2: Coffee and Company, Phil about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 3: Day, Well done, Austin.
Speaker 2: You know it is sometimes it is interesting to go down a rabbit hole and look up some of the wilder, unbelievable but true stories about things that have happened to people after they won the lottery, or maybe not even after, but like where their life was what was going on when they just decided to buy the ticket that ended up, you know, changing their life, sometimes seemingly for good. But then in the again, you know.
Speaker 4: There's awful stories.
Speaker 2: And there used to be like a TV show, like early documentary reality TV.
Speaker 4: There was a show.
Speaker 2: I mean, it couldn't have been called something as generic about like how the lottery changed my life, but I kind of feel like that might have been it. But there were some stories that like it ruined their family because everybody got greedy and they.
Speaker 3: Ran out of money.
Speaker 2: Like you know, I'd like to think that if I was ever able to win the lottery one, I'd have to play to win, and I don't play, but if I did, I'd like to think that I was, that I'd be able to you know, handle that and you know, still keep the same relationships and not you know, let it change me as a human. But you never know until you're in that position, right, I mean, money is a powerful.
Speaker 3: To see one hundred MILLI in your bank account.
Speaker 2: The money is a powerful thing, that is for sure. All right, It's coffee and company. Feel abou Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety appreciate you hanging out with us the Monday after Derby weekend and what a good Derby weekend it was. And let's go to the phone lines now if I was do about seven one seventy nine hundred number, if you guys would like to uh to jump in and give us a call, and you'll you put him on Austin because I've got the same thing happening that I had last week where I can't like this. This pot is now for a different thing. So yeah, I got me, Yes, all right, let's go to him.
Speaker 4: Let's go to kirk Kirk. How are we doing? Brother?
Speaker 7: Hey Nick? What's going on? My man? Happy after Derby?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 4: Same to you.
Speaker 3: You have a good Derby weekend?
Speaker 7: I did, I did it. It was a rainy one, but back god, it was a beautiful day.
Speaker 4: For a duck, that's for sure, well said.
Speaker 7: But uh yeah, my horse it's still being loaded in the loading gate. It's uh, it was owing almighty. I think he got a couple of calls, but you know, it's it's just how goes when you got nineteen horses. It's just close your eyes and roll the dice, you know.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: It's a huge field and being out there during Derby week and even the day of like, it doesn't really hit me until we get closer to the Derby than men. A lot more horses in this race than you typically seeing really any other race.
Speaker 7: Correct. Well, let me tell you was talking earlier about how all the expansions they've done out at Churchill Downs. You know, me and my late brother Kenny god rest Is, so we used to live out there during our long hair, sexy days, back when coke were two dollars and hot dogs were two dollars, and we watched it grow over the years. Now we refer it to as Emerald City because when you see it from a far distance or a close distance, I mean, it's overwhelming beautiful, you know. So that's that's pretty much you know, Emerald City over there.
Speaker 4: And now let me ask.
Speaker 2: You this, Kirk, because there's a lot of people i'm sure like yourself and your brother, who like it was just you know, when the spring meat was going on, they'd be out there as much as they could, enjoying everything that comes with it, and you know, betting on the ponies. I mean, I would imagine there's others that probably you know, they understand why Churchill's made the decision to go Emerald City, as you mentioned, but also like it doesn't really appealed to those that you know, used to spend a lot of time there and it was you know, a big I don't want to say a big part of their life, but probably something they really look forward to doing.
Speaker 3: It's just much different now.
Speaker 7: Oh, absolutely, it's very much different. But like I said, you know, blood horse racing has been in our family for years and years, and and like you said, we just made it a religion to go out there pretty much every day, and and it's just it's just a different feeling when you go. It's just sure, you know. I mean, we would go out there were ten dollars and pray we would bring home the uh bring home the wheelbarrow was full. But you know, sometimes we did, sometimes we didn't. But man, it's just this Kentucky Derby. It's we're the centerpiece of the world on Derby Day, brother.
Speaker 4: No doubt about it. Appreciate the call, Kirk, good to hear from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's something that you know, we all know as Louivillions that we've got it chance to shine two minutes. I mean, it's usually a lot longer than two minutes. I would imagine that those who tune in for the derby, they're not probably staying for the entire day, but you can if you like.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And obviously I think the big, big part of it is the lead up to it, like that you know when you're when you're getting closer, and there's certainly a lot of time between that race that's there before the Derby starts. But you know, maybe it's just me getting older, more mature, dare I say, getting you know more wise that I just now have a real feel for like how big of a deal it is to know that there are so many people that that I mean all over not just the country, but the world, Like all eyes are on us for this big event. And there's a lot of cities that you know, have a special event that is no that they're known for, right, Like I can't mean I'm trying to think of like this is a random one like Omaha, Nebraska, Like they're known for the College World Series. Yes, sure, and they do it big. They take a lot of pride in that. I've I've talked to just about everybody who's ever gone that I know, and they say that one. Omaha is a better city than you'd realize. It's just, you know, you really got to want to get there because it's far away and there's a lot of nothing near it. But they really take it upon. They take pride in being a place that brings in a lot of people. Obviously the Derby is a different level than that, but you know, I think it's just something when you live here your whole life.
Speaker 4: You get used to it.
Speaker 2: But now to see, you know, and just I guess have more awareness on my end that there are so many people here that that have may never like they may never even ever come back, or may they maybe they come here every year and they just you know, they get there on Friday and leave Sunday morning, and they don't take in a whole lot of you know, the sights and sounds of Louisville, Kentucky, the city that they're in, but you know, they're here for the Derby.
Speaker 3: So Daytona is also a good one, yes'rby Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm sure there's and I wish I had thought of that, thought of that earlier. Just comparisons as far as other places that have an event that their city's really known for in a lot of ways, and they they don't they you know, like I can't imagine if there's somebody and I'm sure there are people, and maybe there's a good reason for it, but like, you know, not liking that we have it, wish we didn't have it because it brought in traffic and it slowed stuff down. Like I mean, I would, I would really question what you like to do, like what you consider fun, if that's the way you see it. But I mean, you know, I think if you're an outsider and you're here, you can tell that we are happy to have you and you know, hopefully going to do whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know how how I in any way could enhance people's experience who are there at Derby. But you know, you can just feel that we embrace it, and I don't think that'll that'll ever change, all right, Real quick, before we get to our last break, some news here on the TBT roster. So here is who we have currently uh in the mix for the Ville So Russ Smith, Montrez Harrel, David Johnson. I believe those were the names we had heard. In fact, maybe DJ was announced earlier today, but also two other names, David Sloan, who I'm familiar with just because I know he's from Louisville, but he played college basketball at Kansas State and East Tennessee State. And then we also are adding j scrub which is a name from the past. I love this because Jay Scrub's still playing at a high level. He's younger than you know, and we can have that conversation at some point down the line. But you know, with Russ tres Peyton, who else was it? Maybe even Nanu to an extent, like those guys aren't old, but there are time's gonna be playing against guys that are, you know, fresh out of college or you know, just just in the G League, like David Johnson's the perfect kind of age I think for you know, a guy who clearly is just outside the NBA, but he's also on the younger end of what you see typically on the rosters and the TVT. Jay Scrubb is the same situation, and I really wish he'd end up ended up here at U of L. But now we get to see him play for the Villa and the TVT, which hopefully that that event has as much fun. I mean Obviously the team winning is a big part of it. But last year was a lot of fun and I would hope that they can they can make another run again this upcoming summer. All right, quick break, We'll come back and let you guys here again the Derby Manta and it's and it's in its entirety a full uh you know breakdown. I guess not a full breakdown, but it condensed, uh you know clip of our full day of coverage on h A. So stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 9: To take fast night antics.
Speaker 3: I'm in through the desert on a horse of your own name.
Speaker 10: Good to be in the desert.
Speaker 3: You can't remember your name, No one to give a day. This is coach gott daf Coort.
Speaker 10: Welcome to a day of magnificent athletes, remarkable speed, and incredible upsets. This is a world renowned is filled with splendor and patogy, spotlighting every facet of the community we all call home, the city Loivil. Everything that's good in every corner of this community comes together to make everybody better. Today we write a new page in history of the longest continually held sporting event in America. This is the first Jewel of horse Racing's Triple Ground, the World Series of horse Racing. This is a Kentucky Derby one fifty one on news Radio eight forty WJS.
Speaker 9: It's Derby Day.
Speaker 11: News Radio eight forty WHAS is proud to bring you live coverage powered by Allen Electric Residential Services. Our full news Radio eight forty WHAS Derby crew is standing by to keep you updated throughout the day. Now Here are your hosts for Derby Day one fifty one, Tony Cruz and Terry Miners.
Speaker 12: For the one hundred fifty first time they will run this race that has become a national tradition, not just a Kentucky tradition. Hello, I'm Tony Kruzh and he's radio eight forty whis to generally do mornings from five am to nine and now I'm at nap daytime at ten o'clock. But welcome aboard a sloppy track right here in Churchill Downs.
Speaker 3: It has been sloppy all night.
Speaker 12: Long, of course, so it was a sloppy Kentucky oaks. But it's always sunny in seventy five at Churchill Down, says our great friend at John Asher used to remind us and what a great, great day it's going to be. But this is going to be my last anchoring of Kentucky de every Now, if they asked me to serve, it'll depend on the paycheck.
Speaker 9: No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 12: That guy is a familiar voice because he's Leland Conway and Leland and his back go with us, and we're really pretty Paul Miles joining us as well, newsman extraordinaire.
Speaker 9: And Paul, you so.
Speaker 12: Far have me beat on the record of longevity here we're behind miners, but you got to lead by three.
Speaker 11: Or seven months, two months, maybe two months, maybe August.
Speaker 9: You're gonna wipe me out after I try it.
Speaker 12: You're a short timer there, fell up, short time, Yeah, help right.
Speaker 10: Some I think between the two of us total, there's about well, there's more than sixty years of Kentucky Derby go yeah, correct, I got more than thirty.
Speaker 9: You have more than thirty, so sixty something.
Speaker 12: Now, let's find out what's going on with our buddy Bo Robinson.
Speaker 13: I'm with Kyle Zorna of Legion Bloodstock, who was responsible for bringing Kentucky Derby contender Flying Mohawk to Jason Worth and the Barry family. But first, Kyle, congratulations on yesterday's Kentucky Oaks finish, Drexel Hill finishing second place. That's definitely a huge confidence boost going into the Kentucky Derby today and maybe a second night of self for you.
Speaker 5: Oh, I hope so, but as you can tell, my voice might not allow that. So we're pretty excited. I think this weather is going to be very conducive to what we were hoping for with them. You know, care forces typically move up on a wet racetrack, and a few of his best works have been over a wet track, so we're guided. You know, obviously, first time he's gonna run on dirt.
Speaker 13: But Kyle, congratulations again on the second place finish with Drexel Hill in the Kentucky Oaks yesterday, and all the best for flying Mohawk in the Kentucky Derby. Thank you for the time and enjoyed today.
Speaker 4: Do we have some robing reporters we need to we do?
Speaker 9: Let's check in with Austin Montgomery down in the infield, shall we?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 6: Federal, Thanks guys, it's awestome. I made my way all the way over to the infield, and let me tell you something. It's just as hyped up as everybody says it is the first thing I see when I walk in is this ridiculously large top hat, a really bright gold vest that says this infield legend on it. The man I'm talking to right now is the man himself, Lewis Grant.
Speaker 3: Dude, you're the infield legend. How does that feel?
Speaker 12: It took a long time to get here.
Speaker 3: What oughtd it take? Hohop has stowed you the infield legend?
Speaker 6: Is it something that you did or was it like a collective effort from everyone that came out here.
Speaker 13: Well, I'm a legend, a legend in my own mind, so I thought I would tell everybody, well.
Speaker 3: That's all, that's all that matters.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you put on a gold horseshoe vest and you put it on the back, who's going to deny.
Speaker 3: That, right?
Speaker 1: But he's denying that.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you it's all.
Speaker 13: It's all out in the open. Now I've come out as the legend.
Speaker 3: This is a man after my own heart.
Speaker 6: I hope to be like you in a few years when I'm thirty five.
Speaker 3: So hopefully we could kick everything off well.
Speaker 6: Celebrating Derby one fifty one here at the infield at Historic Churchhill Downs, Austin, Montgomery, News Radio eight forty whas back to you guys.
Speaker 3: N and that was fun Alsto Montgomery from w AMC.
Speaker 9: Great job on that little Do we have another field reporter.
Speaker 1: We can we do?
Speaker 9: Let's check in with our man Nick Coffee Show.
Speaker 2: All right, are we here with you? Tell me where you're from? Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. How many Dervis you've been to?
Speaker 9: Forty seven?
Speaker 2: You've been to forty seven Kentucky Derbys?
Speaker 9: Are you serious?
Speaker 14: Started coming here in nineteen seventy five when I went to school here, and I've been to everyone except two COVID years and my son's graduation.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 4: So University of louisvill grad Yeah? Is that where you fell in love with horse racing?
Speaker 15: I sure did.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you have a winner today? Who do you think is gonna win the Kentucky Derby?
Speaker 3: I think journalism?
Speaker 2: Of all the Kentucky Derbys, is there one that is a that stands out as a bigger memory than the others. Probably the first celebrating Kentucky Derby one fifty one. It's Nick Coffee for News Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 16: I think Dwight Whitten has got Mitch McConnell, or does he.
Speaker 3: Or Dusty Dwight Whitton?
Speaker 17: Out here at Churchill Down, I ran into the Senator Mitch McConnell, and your horse, I know, is chunk of gold.
Speaker 9: But you know the owner, right, I know the owner.
Speaker 15: That's unusual. Chunk of gold Kentucky verad. That's all work, the bet off.
Speaker 17: So you got your horse, and I guess being friends with the owner, you have no choice.
Speaker 9: You got a bet on you rock, no choice at all?
Speaker 17: List is Senator McConnell. I hate that it's raining out here today, but I imagine this is probably one of your proudest I don't know, Jules of Kentucky, the Kentucky Derby, would that be right?
Speaker 15: The Kentucky Derby party is going on all around the world American embassies, this is an international event.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 17: I don't want to keep you centered. I saw you and I just say, hey, you know what, I'm gonna ride his coke tails on his bet. So now I'm going from journalism and I'm moving my money to chunk of gold because of you.
Speaker 15: How's that good luck?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what. I had no idea.
Speaker 4: Mitch McConnell hung out in the unfield.
Speaker 9: Okay, I've been doing this thirty five years.
Speaker 3: I have no idea if that was real or not.
Speaker 9: I can't that.
Speaker 4: We've got some more for you.
Speaker 3: Let's kick to who else we got, Johnny.
Speaker 9: Let's check in with Joe Lincoln to Lincoln here.
Speaker 15: With Carolina Panthers Storre Xavier Lagette.
Speaker 9: Is this your first derby?
Speaker 10: Here?
Speaker 1: My year?
Speaker 15: Man, there's my first burg Wan.
Speaker 18: I'm enjoying the man I'm be here.
Speaker 12: Says yesterday I got to see.
Speaker 9: The whole bayside of it and then how they worked the.
Speaker 3: Whole sce early in the morning.
Speaker 7: I was like, it's gonna be.
Speaker 5: A good races today.
Speaker 3: Man, there's a whole lot of yells tonight with the merge. There's gonna be some good and what you do is today week.
Speaker 16: But we got few reporters all over Churchill downs from the infield, two Billionaires Road to the red carpet.
Speaker 3: Let's find out who we got now.
Speaker 9: Our own Scott Fitzgerald caught up with Kirk herb Street. Oh no, the betting windows.
Speaker 1: Who I run into?
Speaker 9: I'm mister kirk Herb Street. How are you, sir? I'm great. How you doing good? To be back in Louisville. Oh my god. This is the highlight of the year for us.
Speaker 14: Whereas every year I come with a bunch of family and friends, and there's probably on my twenty second year. We get here race one on Friday and the last race Saturday night.
Speaker 9: We don't miss a race the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Can you pick for the Derby?
Speaker 14: I'm an exotic guy, so I don't pick one.
Speaker 5: Horror.
Speaker 14: You know, I'd love to see sand Man because I think he's a beautiful horse. Journalism obviously is the horse to beat, but I'm here. I always tell my buddies the horses like Journalism that ended up six to five or nine to five. I look at them as like Ohio State in Alabama. I'm here to find like Purdue or Illinois. We're looking for those ten to one, twelve to one kind of horses. So we play odds and hope for a big ticket and the fifteen to one hit earlier, which his nice. Finally we got some odds to hit. But we'll see what happens in Derby. But we're hoping for some big odds.
Speaker 15: I'm Scott Bistil is celebrating Derby one fifty one on mister kirk Harve Street here in news radio eight forty w h an.
Speaker 2: Right now, we're gonna let you hear an interview with our own Billy Rutlet's talking to jockey Brian Hernandez's gonna be the top one of the horses in late later this afternoon in the Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 18: Here in the Paddock area with Brian Hernandez Junior. He is on Burnham Square, the number nine horse. Later today, of course, the raining Kentucky Derby winning jockey Brian, how are you doing it?
Speaker 9: I'm goodheading you so, I'm good?
Speaker 18: And how's the track doing right now? And what are your expectations for later today?
Speaker 3: It's a little wet right now. We've got a lot of rain over night, but the.
Speaker 8: Track man, Jamie Richardson, he's done a good job of having it seemed pretty fair and hearts of they're kind of everywhere it seems safe. So we just have to go out there later on in the day and just give our horse the best trip possible and hopefully we can. We're gonna say two time raining Kentucky Derby winner.
Speaker 9: That's right, Brian Besseluck today, All right, mister go God boss.
Speaker 16: Well, well, well we've come to almost the end of our broadcast NBC. We'll pick up here at five o'clock so we can go to the Derby at six fifty seven to night. You know, whas celebrating one hundredth year of broadcasting the Kentucky Derby, and fittingly enough, Tony Cruz is using this occasion to retire as our long standing morning host for the past twenty plus year.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 3: Twenty one.
Speaker 16: What a fantastic career the cruise bad has had waking up Kentucky Anda for a generation. I know he's ready for a great retirement and a chance to do some traveling right now that you won't have to get up each morning, so you gonna do well, We've got some suggestions for you, Tony. You know you've always been a fan of NASCAR, right, so just another month, you know, you're gonna have the chance to drive south and admire dayte for example, you know, and perhaps you could get take one of those luxury airplane adventures where you get your own little personal cabin on the plane with the shower and all that stuff, and.
Speaker 3: They give you the robe.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I believe the name of that excursion is the Flying Mohawks or something to that effect.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 9: Oh, it's really experienced.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 16: Tony's always talking about his love for colonial times. He loves to go to Williamsburg, Virginia. I think he needs to take that luxury plane ride to the Old Country and travel down East Avenue to the classic Burnham Swear area where they had that medieval re enactment.
Speaker 4: What are they call it?
Speaker 16: Oh, it's the Coal Battle uprising that took place years ago.
Speaker 9: It's fascinating to watch. Yes, it is.
Speaker 16: Perhaps traveling the ancient Egyptian lands is bore his taste, where he can learn about the sovereignty of past tours while enjoying fine dining at a luxe or cafe we all know cruise.
Speaker 9: He has this love of music.
Speaker 16: Yes, he's always singing Abba in the hallways.
Speaker 4: So it's only.
Speaker 16: Fitting he take off to that fine Mediterranean upscale, nice sea resort by ASA and experience the yacht rock sounds of the band Rodriguez.
Speaker 9: I hear they put on an outstanding show.
Speaker 16: You know, still I think Cruise man might be more suited right here at home for the next chapter ahead of him. You know, perhaps another career in journalism awaits you as a book publisher. I hear he's working on a really insightful chronicle titled American Promise. Now he's not saying much about what's in this potential published work, but I have some ideas on what the subject might be for the book. After all, Tony has always been our charming citizen bull and he will never render judgment without solid facts. In fact, we have our own pit name for Tony around the office. That's right, Yes, uh huh. When he gets on those theology discussions, you can see the owen all mighty coming out of him, like the Lord infused him with a grande dose of fire and breadstone. He can really make this case with those biblical facts that raise the final gallant of emotions. Yes, sir, we all know Tony Cruz has the kindest, caring heart of anyone you could encounter, one of the finest people you will ever be grace to call a friend. He's really just a silky smooth sandman. That's right, man, We're gonna be sadden, not to have the Cruise Man around the office in about a month's time. But we're so very excited that he and his wonderful wife Penny can retire while their health is great and they can enjoy their grandchildren and.
Speaker 4: Other lives joyce.
Speaker 16: After all, there's nothing worse than working so long and encountering health issues requiring medications like neoquist that we advertise consistently on this radio station. As a matter of fact, you want to get free of the daily grind and spin that chunk of gold burning a hole in your pocket. Whatever the Cruise Man does and the next stage of life, we miss him the absolute best and know he'll be great at it. While we'll miss him dearly. We want to know retirement is going to be tasting heavy retirement an happy Derby. What there are in the Kentucky Derby journalism is in a little bit of traffic early on here.
Speaker 3: But he came out of the gate, Old Kay Citizen Bull and Neil W.