Speaker 1: Well, let's do the Minnesota Goodbye. It smells like smoking the studio right now because I'm smoking. Who says does at work? I'm smoking a turkey breast in the hallway? Yeah baby, but I am smoking on It's a little crockpot looking thing that's a smoker and it smokes it for an hour and a half and it cooks it for an hour or something like that. And I made it a couple of weeks ago and it was like, oh, this is really good. So the other day I said, you want me to come in and smoke a turkey on Monday? And the girl who's always hungry on the show, Heck Bailey Jay said yes. Jenny's like, well, I'm trying to get a little healthier, but I'm in and vont was in too, So right now there is a turkey smoking fifteen feet away in the hallway.
Speaker 2: Yeah baby, I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it smells. I mean, it smells really good. I don't usually like smoked foods in general, but I want to try it because I like food period.
Speaker 1: I also made not to turn it into Dave's cooking corner, but I made lobster mac and cheese yesterday. So I went down to the grocery store and I had to buy frozen lobster tails. And guess how much a frozen lobster tail is?
Speaker 2: Well, usually they do it by pound, don't they?
Speaker 1: Or no, it was the size of cut your forearm in half, and that's how big your look.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say it was probably thirty five bucks.
Speaker 1: Twenty bucks, wow, twenty bucks for a frozen lobster tail. And I had to buy two of them because it needs a cup. So this was forty dollars worth of lobster just for me. Yeah, and then three different kinds of cheeses. We had the cheddar Gouda and pomp up pH not parmesan. God, I can't remember. Yeah, it doesn't matter anyway. It was really, really really good, maybe the best thing I've ever made in the crock pipe.
Speaker 2: Wow, so it looks good. I saw what you post it on your story.
Speaker 1: Or it was on my story again I saw and.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, ye meh.
Speaker 1: So So to get away from Dave's cooking corner, let's move on. Good morning, says Jenny. Listen to Friday's Minnesota Goodbye. You had some questions about maternity leave. Each date. An employer operates differently with maternity leave, but most of the time maternity leave is unpaid unless you have sick time or PTO saved up to cover it. The only way is to typically paid is if either your employee offers paid maternity leave or offers short term disability. I didn't know that. I honestly thought all this time maternity leave was paid. I really did.
Speaker 2: Really isn't no. My sister works for Chobanni and she always had her maternity leave paid. But like it depends, like that person said on the company.
Speaker 1: It says beginning in twenty six or twenty twenty six, Minnesota will have paid leave available for all residents that live and work in Minnesota. This will be another tax added to all of our paychecks, as that is how the program will be funded. You will need to complete an application with the state and your payment will be made to you by the state, so it is essentially paid FMLA. There is still a lot of unknown with this new program beginning, but I'm sure more will unfold next year. Hopefully this fund tidbit helps everybody in Minnesota that there is hope to eventually have a paid maternity leave well, I'm going to guess that the resistance to paid maternity leave is people don't want to pay more taxes. So, in other words, if I am not going to have kids, and I've already had my kids, I'm probably not going to vote for paid maternity leave. Doesn't sound like it's up for a vote anymore. Sure, but it's the same reason old people don't pass school board issues or school bond issues because they don't have kids in school anymore.
Speaker 3: But that's the future, That's what I.
Speaker 1: Think it is. But people are struggle. I think the thing is, especially old people might be struggling and then to have to pay a bond issue because the school needs a new gymnasium or you know, they need to build a new school. A lot of old people. I'm just trying to show both sides that there are people who go I don't want to pay any more taxes. I already can't afford to fill up my car. I saw somebody Venmo the other day. They were stuck. They were I think an Uber driver or a Lyft driver or something, and they were stuck. They needed five dollars. They needed somebody to Venmo than five dollars to get gas. And the first thing I thought was, well, do gas stations take Venmo? Do they know?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: No, you could put it into your account and use Apple pay and like stuff like that. You can do that all on your phone. But then there's like transaction fees to get it, like directly in and out of aroun So five dollars it's probably now like four to twenty five.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that? I mean, I know that I think that that paid maternity to leave sounds like a really good thing. But do you want to pay for it if you don't have kids?
Speaker 3: See? I get your reasoning where like why people would not want to. But I feel like if it's like a community thing that I'm going to be helping out somebody else, I'll pay a tax for it. But that's just me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't mind, but I do try to be sympathetic to people who don't have enough money already and now here comes another ten dollars or whatever out of your paycheck, and that that could be a I mean a big fatty. You could roll up a big fatty with.
Speaker 2: That m that would be better for them, right.
Speaker 1: Well, absolutely, get take your mind not for misery the future yeah, okay. Next one, Sharis writes in I wanted to comment on my experience with maternity leave. I had both my girls in Las Vegas. I worked at the Blaggio. The insurance I had allowed six weeks of paid leave eight weeks if you had a c section anything. Anytime you took after that, you had to use your vacation days or long term disability for both pregnancies. I had a c section, so I took the eight weeks and then an additional four weeks using my long term disability. I think it varies by whatever company you work for. I hope this helps, all right.
Speaker 3: Sherees is fascinating the fact that she's, oh, I worked at the Bolaggio, Like, yeah, no, big deal, that is so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I wonder what she did at the Bolaggio. Were you a dealer? Did you work in finance? Were you I don't know? And accounting?
Speaker 2: I'm almost positive she told us one time, but I'm blank. You know, I forgot what it is she did there.
Speaker 1: I'm going to guess that if they Cherise was probably the person that they caught you counting cards. She took you back outside and broke your fingers, like with a bat or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Thereesa is the least intimidating person you'll ever meet. So I feel like that might not be it, but I think it's a.
Speaker 3: Good So maybe that's that's why they used her.
Speaker 1: I think that if you ever saw the movie Casino, it was it took pace Blazed back in the seventies, and there was a couple of people who would come in and they would count cards, and so they would be like, hey, can you follow me, sir, And they'd take them to the back room and they would break their fingers with a bat, and I was like, shit, that sounds terrify. The funny thing is, I'll bet they really did. Really, I'll bet they did back in the seventies. I'm sure we'll do it now honestly. Oh no, because they're all owned by the Disney Corporation or by MGM. They're owned by I mean. The funny thing is, I used to live in Las Vegas at the end of the Mob era. The Mob ran Vegas from like the fifties or so through the seventies, and the Mob owned all the casinos and that's how they would fund their nefarious operations. But then the Mob kind of got broken up, and so now they're all owned by like the Wind Corporation or Disney or the Marriotte Corporation.
Speaker 3: So no more breaking fingers.
Speaker 1: No. I think in the movie Casino, there was one guy that they was caught counting cards. They put his head and advice and they squeezed it till his eyes popped out.
Speaker 3: Oh god, why every time you tell me something that is so gross, you say it so quickly that I can't tune out in time to get to my end.
Speaker 2: Try to stop him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh you I can't.
Speaker 1: I've got other things you want to hear other things? No, I got some. Let's move on fine. Carolyn writes in need some advice on a tricky situation with my boyfriend. We've been in a long distance relationship for about a year and a half and things are are decently solid between us, but I'm uneasy about his ongoing contact with a four professor. Backstory, This professor showed romantic interest in him back when he was a freshman at Montana State. He was eighteen, she was twenty five. He turned her down with a stayed in touch and still texting Snapchat every day.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: She is now twenty seven. My boyfriend and I are twenty one seniors in college, him at MSU, Me and Wisconsin. She doesn't work at his school anymore to switch jobs a lot in the past few years. Their chats are usually casual, but a few months ago she started venting to him about super intimate and detailed mental health issues and insecurities about her appearance. I understand the need to talk to somebody, but it felt too personal, and especially considering her past romantic interest in him, it seemed like she was looking for validation, and it made me more uncomfortable. I brought this up. He was understanding and agreed to take things light, but he doesn't really get why this whole situation bothers me. Now, she's comeing to his town and asked him to meet up for coffee to care. He said he wouldn't go if I don't want him to, but I'm torn. I trust him, but something about this feels off. Is it wrong to feel uncomfortable? Should I just tell him fine, go meet her? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. Dart lick Lick, dart lick. All right, Jenny, you're a worldly woman. You've been cheated on before. What do you think is going on here?
Speaker 2: I would say that you feel uncomfortable, and that is your answer, so you ask him not to go. I think it's pretty simple. I think that that's how relationships work out. You communicate your uncomfortableness, and you still feel uncomfortable, and you let him know and you tell him I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be controlling, but I don't like this, and I think he probably, by the sounds of it, would respect you saying that and wouldn't go.
Speaker 1: I wholeheartedly agree. If it makes you uncomfortable, then that's the answer. Yeah, And you've got to be reasonable about it. It's like kind of like if okay, let's say Bailey and I went to lunch and Susan was unreasonable and said, I don't like you going to lunch with another woman. Well, I think that's unreasonable. But if I was, like, like it was an old girlfriend or somebody who used to, like, you know, flirt with me or whatever, then yeah, then it's reasonable.
Speaker 3: Right, And you would hope that he wouldn't make that choice in the first place, like he would think like, hmm, you know, this seems like something that she wouldn't be all that thrilled with and then choose appropriately. But it doesn't seem like that's the case.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think that you're right, and I think that you can decide to be gracious if you want to call it that, and let him go. But I definitely think that there's I don't think it's right. Okay. Next one says heyo after two days of discussion, I can't believe nobody was brought up. Just cut the keywi in half and eat it with a spoon.
Speaker 2: Oh did we not talk about that? Maybe that was just my head. Yeah, I always thought that you ate kiwis you just cut it in having you with spoon.
Speaker 1: My mom used to make this a challenge for my brother and I when we were little. Cut the key and half, give one half to each of us, dig out the kiwi with the spoon, and eat it to try to get the inside as clean as you can before the other person. If you rip the skin, you lose. Is it not common to eat kei we with a spoon? Signed Britney.
Speaker 2: How brilliant your mom wants to get you guys to eat healthy. She made a little competition out of it, you know what I mean? Yeah, she was like eat the key, we don't break the.
Speaker 1: Skin, instead of just like eat your kiwi, which would be like, no, I don't want to. You know what's funny is I am always hungry and nobody ever tells me, like Dave, you need to eat, you need to eat. What's funny though, is I took the girls to McDonald's on Friday. Kids never eat that much. They just don't. I got a McNuggets and fries and they had apple slices. Surprisingly enough, their favorite of the meal was the apple slices. Oh the nuggets were you know, they're cute. They'd give them four McNuggets in a box. They each ate about a nugget and a half and about four French fries. Fuck that noise if it had been me on your fries car more.
Speaker 3: No. My niece is like that too, where she'll eat like a bite of something and then we have to like convince her to continue eating it. You just did not eat anything. How are you like sustained nutritionally right?
Speaker 1: And I would say, okay, you can go on the play place if you finish your let you know, finish the nugget you have in your hand. And there's also and I want to do a reel for Instagram about this. The way two year old z eat is the funniest thing ever. They don't have them find motor skills to pick up a nugget and bite off a piece. So they will pick up a nugget and all five fingers in their mouth and then chew on it. Same with pancakes. I made them pancakes on Saturday. They wouldn't eat hardly any but they would pick I forgot to give them. I give them forks, but I forgot to cut up their pancakes, so they didn't use the fork. They use their fingers. They pick it up and they put their entire hand and her mouth.
Speaker 3: Gross.
Speaker 1: And that's how they eat pancakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My niece says that with fries she puts she dips them in ketchup and then just throws the entire hand into her mouth and then licks the ketchup off and pulls the fries out.
Speaker 2: My nephew was doing this past weekend. I watched him do it, and I was like, oh my gosh, just eating essential just a spoon at this point. Gross.
Speaker 1: Another one about maternity leaver, Chelle writes in with some movie recommendations, and I'm gonna get right to She says, I totally agree with Jessica, who wrote in about maternity leave. I had see sections. It's insane that mothers are expected to go back to work so soon. When crafting legislation to give state employees some weeks of paid but paternity leave, the men in charge first suggested four weeks. A mom in the room pointed out that daycare won't even take babies under six weeks, so they changed the legislation to six weeks. I love this example of why representation matters and getting voices at the table matters. I would say across the board as a gross generalization that parental leave is unpaid. If you get paid leave, then you are the exception, and you are probably in a salary position at a large company. Short term disability doesn't count, because that is insurance you pay for, not income. About forty percent of women working jobs that don't even qualify for them for FMLA or short term disability. Imagine your household not getting four to six paychecks in a row. It's a real problem. Yeah, okay, Jessica says, Hello, Dave Ryan Show, here's my rant. I work from home and with a nice weather, been trying to work outside as much as possible to enjoy the sunshine. Why do all my neighbors leaf blow their yards in the middle of the day. Don't they have jobs? It's so loud and obnoxious when I'm working, and once one is finished, another one starts. It's like they're working together to annoy me. Arg she says, why do you need to blow them around anyway? Such a stupid waste of time. They will biout a grade. You numb nuts rant over. Love you guys, Jessica, garden lover and park ranger who can officially tell you no amount of leaves in your yard will kill your grass. So retire the leaf blowers and enjoy the sounds of fall, like birds and wind. Jessica, I love this. There is no worse sound than a leaf blower and or a trimmer or a mower.
Speaker 3: Especially if they can't like just get it done.
Speaker 1: Where they go. Well, you and I nap during the early afternoon in the summer, it's the mowers and the weed whackers right underneath my window. And I wake up and I'm like, well, fuck that, there goes that. This time of the year, it is the leaf blowing crowd, and it'll never go away. We've talked about how leafs on your lawn are good for nature and bugs and things like that, but people still want to have a clean lawn. Do you think that in forever, in the fewtre like in fifty years, we'll even still have lawns.
Speaker 3: No, I think they're gonna all turn into like wild flower reserves.
Speaker 1: Or maybe gravel or river.
Speaker 2: Rock or Yeah, that'd be cool too.
Speaker 1: I think that lawns are such a fuck and they look nice, yeah, but they take everything water, water effort, herbicides, fertilizers, the waste of time, the waste of time, and then the waste of gas for mowing your lawn. I mean they really are. They're beautiful, yeah, I mean they are, but they are so wasteful. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like we could make wild grass look beautiful too. We just have to convince ourselves that it's also beautiful so we don't have to mow ever.
Speaker 2: Again, do you guys not have any white noise that you put on when you try to sleep?
Speaker 3: No, I actually sleep pretty deep. I can fall asleep to absolutely the thing, though, unless you're like my upstairs neighbor who walks around at like five thirty in the morning and wakes me up in the morning.
Speaker 2: That sucks. I hate that because we always have a fan on in our room. So like if I take a nap in the middle of the afternoon and I hear a leaf blower, I usually can round it out by like the fans fan. So I'm pretty used to that now. I pretty much can only sleep with a fan on. Now I can't fall a sleep if I don't have white noise. And I did that to me. You always had a sleep with a fan, and now it's how I am too.
Speaker 1: I feel that though I don't need to sleep with white noise. I can, but I don't need to. When I dated Cricket, she had to have the TV or the radio on to shaw.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds awful.
Speaker 1: It was awful.
Speaker 3: I mean, I got you're listening to that and then you're like listening to what they're saying and following what they're saying.
Speaker 1: It worked for her, not for me, But I know a lot of people who have to have a fan on or white noise of some kind. All right, that is it for the Minnesota goodbye and any comments on anything. I think we kind of cover the maternity thing unless we miss something. Unless you want to comment on whether you would be happy to pay more taxes, I would love to hear your opinion on that one. Maybe you're like, absolutely, it would, but maybe you're like, no, I can't afford anymore. Send an email on whatever you want to talk about to Ryan's show at KDWB dot com