Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty. I know and now Handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen, here's not Bill Handle KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Good morning to you, Nil Savedra and for mister Bill Handle today, Happy to be with you. Back from Italy. Where was I, you asked, I was actually at mister Bill Handle's wedding. Yeah, look at that third times of Charred.
Speaker 2: Third time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the first one was short lived. He's talked about it on the air. I think so if not sorry about that, that could happen. I've known the man for a long time. Beautiful, beautiful wedding. I was proud to stand next to him as his best man. I guess he quotes. I don't know how many people he went through. I'm pretty I'm pretty sure he's you know, I was pretty low, but I'll take it. It was gorgeous. It was the I gotta tell you. There were times where my mouth was agape and I just laughed. Why. Okay, so there's this one moment. First of all, it takes place at a castle, so I stayed at a castle. I slept in a castle with my family, and my family went with me, my wife Tracy, and my boy Max, and we made a trip out of it a little bit before and then after the wedding as well. So you're in this castle looking, honest to God, legit castle just outside of Verona. Maybe it's in Verona, but it's so it's stunning. I mean, you turn off the road and those there's a big pillar in the gate that you drive this long, you know, bush lined, and so it's got all that gorgeous grounds, beautiful place, and that's stunning. They did a bunch of really fun things, like they had a murder mystery dinner and the food was outstanding. I only got to be a part a little bit of that because I got real sick, and then my wife got really there was a couple of something or like the flu. I was talking to doctor Keeney who was there as well, and he said the flu influenza was bad. It's bad this year, and that was what was going around at the time. COVID hasn't really been going around much right now, I guess. But so we got sick, so I would mask up and go down and say hello, and but stay away from people prior to the wedding, so I didn't get to see all of that. But it was really beautiful. And I will tell you this, I've known Bill for a long time, a long time. I came to this station as his intern in ninety four. And the guy's happy. I know people are hurt when these things happen and things change and whatever. And I've been a friend of the family for a long time before the girls were even born. But it was a beautiful wedding. There was a point where we went outside and it was pretty chilly, but it's you're looking at these lights, these tiny little lights, and the side of this castle. And they had this tradition o Arona cake, and it's like a pound cake with this icing on it, and they went outside to cut it, and then Bill gave a toast and at the end of the toast, everybody yells Mazzle tof. The second we yell mazele tof out in the distance, fireworks start going off. So my eight year old boys with us, and he's like, holy hell, what is happening? And my mouth drops because I didn't know about it. No one It was a surprise to everyone except the bride and the groom, the longest fireworks show I have ever seen in my entire life. Every time you thought it was over, it started again. Now I am not just like my friend Amy k King from Wake Up Call and The Wiggle What Walk that we are no strangers to fireworks and castles. She and I, Okay, we're Disney fans. I have never ever seen. You could put all of my fifty five years of Fourth of July is together, and I've never seen fireworks like that. My wife, who is pretty unshakable by anything, could not stop laughing because every time we thought it was over, more came, and they were more spectacular and more. It was just drones flying over. And so my boy just the other day, we get back and my boy looks at me and goes, so was yours and Mommy's wedding like that? And I go no, not quite, and he goes bigger and I go no, So he's ruined. This is his second wedding and he was like two on the first one. He's ruined. Oh so they don't have like a murder theater, dinner thing and fireworks and so it was. That was pretty spectacular. I think Bill might call in later in the week, Thursday or Friday, and we'll chat about it. But it was All I can say is that he's very happy, and God bless him. Everybody has their own opinions about things in life, me included, but he seems genuinely happy, as does Lindsay, his new bride. And it was neat to share in that. Was even sick as a freaking dog that I was, it was it was neat to be a part of that and to see him in that state. So uh, it was a wonderful time. And Italy's gorgeous. And I will tell you this, I've said this before many times. Art, education and travel are always worth what you pay for them, and it doesn't You don't have to go nuts. Usually you're not in the room much at all, So go and you know, get a nice clean room with a bed. Chances are you're not going to find a king bed, you just Europe does not have king beds. Uh, So you just get a room that's comfortable and clean and go explore. You don't have to you don't have to go nuts. My wife has always been very good. Probably you know, we've traveled the world prior to Max being born. This was his first international trip and he took it like a champ. Loves traveling, and so I just encourage you to, you know, you put a little bit aside here, a little bit aside there, but you'd be surprised what you can do inexpensively. And there's people that kind of go nuts on one side or the other. But the reality is you're barely in your room. You want to get out, so you just need it to be clean and it can be simple. I've stayed in really lovely places and it was nice, but I've stayed in these little, tiny places that had so much character and and those are what stick with me. So I'm not saying you have to go to a hostel. But it was really beautiful and everyone did a lovely job, and it was neat to see a small group of people there to support them. You know, people that you might know here from the show, like doctor Keeney was there, and Anthony and and Raisin from Zelman's were there because he's known them for thirty plus years. Two it was just neat to see. You know, it's a beautiful thing. I mean, all weddings are beautiful. You know, it just is it's about the couple and all of that and them connecting and it was really lovely. So but I'm happy to be back and I'm thrilled to be here filling in for Handle this week. I'll be with you through the entirety of this week and then I believe HANDLE comes back the following Monday, right, so it'll come back Monday and things we'll be back to the craziness normal that is the morning show. Let's start handling the news lead story. Can you see it? This is a rough one. If you've ever been to this part of the world where where Southeast Asian, Southeast Asia, multiple places come to together and won in the triangle there. It just is a beautiful place. And this is horrific. Magnitude seven point seven quake hit Friday, centered near the northern city of Mandalay, and you know, talking about a very improv impoverished part of the world, already dealing with years of a civil war. The number of confirmed deaths from me and mar and this devastating earthquake approached seventeen hundred on Sunday and is expected to climb You there, yep, did I wake you Nope, you are right.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 1: You know, I know you got the wiggle and the waggle and the walk and everything.
Speaker 2: But great. I didn't know if you had more to say about the earthquake.
Speaker 1: It's horrible.
Speaker 2: It is, it's awful.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's so when they first get numbers start coming in, and so after the earth quick first happened, you know, it's like, oh, three people are dead and ninety year missing, and you're like, oh, maybe it's not as bad, but then they start finding the people and this one was just horrific. And then one of the worst things that happened was a building, a high rise that was under construction, collapsed and they said it came down in about six seconds.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you see the videos of those high rises with the pools and stuff like that, and all the water's coming up with this sash out.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine if you were in the pool at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can see that somebody's walking by the edge of the pool. A couple people are walking by the edge of the pool of one of them that I saw. And when you think about how you know the power of these things and what they can do, and then you know, I'm looking at at ruins in Rome that are still standing, not completely, but still standing, and the properties of building and the techniques that have changed over the centuries, and still mother Nature whips up a seven point seven and it's good night all the way around.
Speaker 2: Well, the tariffs are coming, Yes, the tariffs are coming. President Trump has imposed a April second deadline for the tariffs, and he's threatening more for people, but he also said he's open to making deals. So April second is what Trump is calling Liberation Day, where he's promising reciprocal tariffs on several countries and twenty five percent tariffs on cars and car parts. And then he also warned that there could be more tariffs on Russia. And Iran said he he's really upset with Putin right now because he doesn't feel like he's really coming to the table with this the whole ceasefire thing with Ukraine and Russia. And he said the talks aren't going in the right direction, and you might just slap some tariffs on as a result.
Speaker 1: Love exciting and new, but now they're breaking up. It'll come together. Just to tell you that this is a long game. If you think otherwise, you're missing the point, do I know what's in the head of Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: I do not.
Speaker 1: President Trump has his own plans, But I will tell you this, if you think this is short term, you're missing the boat. My concern is that we don't have the testicular fortitude in this country to stick with anything that might put us in a position of inconvenience until it gets better, which is a sad place to be. And this is not a statement about the presidency. It's a statement about this one particular part, which is, yeah, we may be eating it, but you know what, I drive American, so is my wife, So you know what, it's not going to be something that sneezes and goes away. And if you assume that, then that's not a good thing for any of us. All Right, this story that we'll be talking about more later on this morning, you have doctor Peter Marx, the Food and Drug Administration's top vaccine regulator. He resigned, some say a person familiar with the matter told NBC News that Marx was forced out, but at this point it seems he does not want to get behind you know what's going on right now when it comes to the FDA and RFK Junior being in command of this Department of Health and Human Services. So you've got rfk's people coming out saying that Peter Mark's doctor to you, by the way, does not want to get behind restoring science to its golden standard and promoting radical transparency, then he has no place at the FDA under the strong leadership of Secretary Kennedy. Make no mistake, RFK is an activist. He's an activist. And if you, as a Republican, hate activists and hate when they don't look at the big picture and make decisions based on their activism and claim that it has to do with some science or some research, then you should be skeptical, at bare minimum skeptical of what RFK is doing. And I will tell you that when you have broad sweeping and I'm not sure saying there isn't changes that need to be made, or science that needs to be done, in studies that need to be done, and believe in all of that. However, I want people to start thinking again for themselves, not because someone has an R or a D behind their name. I don't understand that. And if you think that gutting everything is the answer, then you are the same cut from the same cloth as the people that wanted to defund the police, which is asinine. And we've gotten to a point in this country where we do not reason anymore. You can't think for yourself. You can't say a good thing about Trump without people going, oh, then you're all in for Trump. Whatever is no, Or you can't say a good thing about liberals or someone else with a different idea without going, oh, you're this and that, and I hear your calls, Oh my gosh. When Chris Merrill was in it was comedy. Someone who was screaming about how he's the most liberal guy in the world, and someone screaming about how he's a Trumpist and all these I'm like, do you listen. People try and tell me what I believe all the time and it cracks me up. But I'm telling you, just because something needs to be done and we need to take time to look at things closer, does not mean that you should be throwing out decades of science that have not only been proven through the experimental phases but also through real life use. I don't need to reinvent the wheel. There's no need. The tests have been done. We don't need round roads and square wheels. It's done, we can move on. So if you're on these types of bandwagons, to me, you're no different than what I refer to as the WingNuts that wanted to defund the police.
Speaker 2: Well, Iran's not bowing to pressure from Trump at this point. Iran says it will deal a strong blow against the US if it gets attacked. Now. That threat comes after President Trump warned that he might bomb their country if they don't agree to a nuclear weapons deal, and then Iran said yesterday rejected direct negotiations with the US. Remember Trump said them a letter and said hey, let's talk, and Iran's like, nope, don't want to. Don't trust you.
Speaker 1: More parking lots in the Middle East. Maybe geez, wheeze, what's happening all right? A single dose of an experimental drug dramatically reduced levels of deadly form of cholesterol. And for a long time it was thought to be untreatable and it's hard to find it doesn't it's undetected by routine tests, and it's undeterred by anything any existing drugs, any diet or exercise. We're learning a lot more about cholesterol than we ever knew for a long time. We thought cholesterol, your cholesterol was directly attributed to food, and it's not in the same way, in the same sense. But I'm not a doctor, and we're learning more and more. So this new drug is hopefully going to be an answer to this very stubborn type of cholesterol.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here's my question. They said that it doesn't show up on tests, it's under undeterred by drugs, diet, exercise. But if it doesn't show up on tests, how do you know if you have it?
Speaker 1: Well, for however, they have poked around and prodded, they know that it is there, and then it exists. And I would imagine there's different things that you know, like, for instance, you don't see wind. You see how trees and things react to wind.
Speaker 2: Right, nice analogy.
Speaker 1: So that's a good look in the case of something like this. Oftentimes they're seeing the reaction of other things to something and not the something itself. Does that make sense? Yeah, okay, all right? Amy.
Speaker 2: The President says he couldn't care less if your cars cost more US. President Trump said on Saturday he did not warn car industry executives against raising prices. His tariffs on foreign made cars go into effect starting Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, you are right? Yep, he told NBC News shopping for a car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, he told NBC News he couldn't care less if they raised prices. He said that his permanent tariffs on foreign made automobiles would boost US car sales, and he said, I hope they raise their prices because if they do, people are going to buy American made cars.
Speaker 1: I just reached out to my GMC truck and it has no comment and does not care either. I don't care, all right, sports News, I don't.
Speaker 2: Have to do this because you don't care about sports.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I don't have the sports scene. I like fighting.
Speaker 2: Have kno do it? Heycono, he's totally into this NC Double A thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So two exciting weeks? Have have they been? Two exciting weeks of the NC Double A? They've been very exciting. Yes, the men's tournament, but the women's tournament as well. USC and UCLA are both in the Elite A and they can meet in the final four. So there you go, man, and I've never seen you awake. Twenty five Final four field is set. Brackets started with sixty eight teams earlier this month, it's shrunk and shrunk. We've got a quartet out there right now, right, Are you excited? I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all It's the second time in NC Double A history that four number one seeds are in the final four.
Speaker 1: So that's pretty entertaining.
Speaker 2: Well, that is pretty interesting. I'm at least an upset or two.
Speaker 1: I find your enthusiasm upsetting.
Speaker 3: Houston is the number one defensive efficiency and Duke is the number one offensive in efficiency and they're meeting on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Go to be It's gonna be great. Is everybody in the ie this excited about it?
Speaker 3: I would say a lot of people in the United States are pretty excitable, in the United States whole country. Well, I'm happy to see you fired up, buddy. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Good to see your beaty little eyes popping out glasses. Right.
Speaker 2: This one's this is probably going to leave a mark, I would imagine, though. The parents have been eleven year old girl are well outraged after a school employee apparently forced their daughter to duck tape her mouth because she was talking too much. The child is a sixth grader at Blair Middle School in Pasadena. So here's what apparently happened. They're eating lunch back on March twenty fourth, and a security guard told the girl, you know you're you're being too loud, You're talking too much, and then she marched her to the principal's office and told the girl to put duct tape over her mouth, and then walked her to her next class and told the teacher that she shouldn't take the tape off because she had a hard time being quiet.
Speaker 1: The security guard maybe has some issues, you think.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised if the security guard still has a job at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd be pissed off too, rightly.
Speaker 2: So, have you ever put duct tape on your mouth?
Speaker 1: It's a little personal question, Amy, No, I'm serious.
Speaker 2: Answer, but I did it by mistake. Once I was hanging some banners.
Speaker 1: You fell on the door knob, did you.
Speaker 2: No. I was hanging some banners at a baseball stadium, and you know when you're ripping tape off, and I was holding the banner up for a radio promotion, and you know, just wasn't thinking, like put the tape up against my mouth.
Speaker 1: It's very sticky.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it took a few layers off.
Speaker 1: No, In the movies, when they do that and then they rip it off. They've got asoline and stuff on there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah that's not real.
Speaker 1: Yeah that is real. It would take your lip with it. Good news is apparently this young girl was asked by the View to join the table, so she wants all right. The Federal Communications Commission has launched an investigation into Walt Disney Company Leave Wald Alone and it's broadcast subsidiary ABC, over the company's diversity, equity and inclusion programs. So the belief I guess at this point is that although you know, Disney has moved away from some of the DEI programs that they have, they're saying, hey, they want to ensure that Disney ends any and all discriminatory initiatives in substance and not just in name. So more of this back and forth is going to go on as the battle continues.
Speaker 2: By Hooker by Krook. Trump wants Greenland, so they keep asking the President about Greenland, and Trump keeps saying it's important, we need to have it. And in an interview on Saturday, he said, I think there's a good possibility we can take over Greenland basically without military force. But he said he didn't take anything off the table, and meantime, the Danish Foreign minister scolded the Trump administration for its tone in criticizing Denmark and Greenland and said his country is investing more into Arctic security and remains open to more cooperation with the US.
Speaker 1: Did you hear him? He was very balanced. It was kind of funny. He's like, hey, listen, yeah, I enjoy our relationship. But why you being a jerk?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 1: Why you gotta be a jerk about it? He doesn't like his tone all right. Back in nineteen ninety seven, woo Way Back Machine, I went on a ride with mister Bill Handle at Magic Mountain. No, it was the Superman roller coaster. We were one of the first people to write it together back in ninety seven. I have vivid memory. I think it was even in the newspaper and you can see like a picture of us sitting in it. It was pretty thrilling for the time. It shut you up at this ninety degree angle. I mean not true ninety but it goes ship and then you're it really fast and then drops you down all that. Well, this roller coaster since September had issues. Oh yeah, oh yeah, I can feel it. Come on kalele so Superman escaped from Krypton. It was closed for maintenance in September. Necessary parts aren't readily available, some parts are obsolete. You know what I don't want to do. I don't want to write a roller coaster with obsolete parts. Yeah, because there's some guy in a warehouse somewhere with a file and some hardened steel trying to replace that part. And I don't feel good about it. And maybe he even has an accent. I don't understand. I don't know. Something might not be good. But yeah, I rode that and now it's going the way of the Dodo bird. I mean, you want to end with this one? I don't know. Just seems like they're a nice Trump little crescendo.
Speaker 2: Trump hasn't ruled out a third term.
Speaker 1: And he's not joking, and he made that clear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said to told NBC News there are methods for doing so. He did say that there's a long way to go, and he said it's very early in his administration. But apparently there is something called a twenty second amendment, as you can only have two. You can only have two.
Speaker 1: They had more back in the day. They had to put the Brakes on it. You get people too popular and we'll see, we shall see. But he's not joking about it, and he wanted to make that clear.
Speaker 2: Did anyone serve well, I'm curious, who is the longest serving president?
Speaker 1: Oh? The one who changed it?
Speaker 2: FDR?
Speaker 1: Yes, so he was, well, didn't FDR. Isn't he the one who said, noah, we had to put an end to this because they just wanted to keep him.
Speaker 2: So it says he is the longest serving president. How long was he in office?
Speaker 1: I think he did a third term and they wanted him for a fourth term.
Speaker 3: Wasn't that It says nineteen thirty three to nineteen forty five.
Speaker 2: There you go, so twelve years, so three full terms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think they wanted him for another one. I think he's the one that instilled that, that said, nah, we got to put a It's like I need a break. Yeah, Yetta put a limit on this somewhere, all right. Neil Spader in for Bill Handle this morning. Happy Monday to you. We'll be back with more. This is KFI heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.