Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Else was here, no, I will I'll see you on Dion ceiling celine Dion. There we go. Was up there singing. Did you see her sing? She was the final act right in front of the Eiffel Tower. She was a little stiff, but still very very good. What okay? Well, what hold on? All right?
Speaker 1: And now handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handle, and this is.
Speaker 2: Kf I AM six forty. Good morning everybody, Bill Handle. Here it is hokday Wednesday, July thirty one, last day of Wednesday or last day of the month July. And boy we go into August. Wow, it's going quick. Before you know it, it's August second, and man, it's just flying. So good morning one and all Amy, Good morning, well, Hi Bill, Hello, and the lovely and ingold Hello Anne. Hi. All right, Cono, you're not on screen.
Speaker 3: It's broken, but hello.
Speaker 2: It is broken.
Speaker 3: Broken.
Speaker 2: Oh well, we'll never have it fixed, you know. Put in a fixed order, you're done.
Speaker 3: Put in a ticket.
Speaker 2: They call it a fixed ticket. And usually let me tell you how it works a little inside baseball, Ladies and gentlemen. Is something is broken, something is missing, something has to be replaced, then Cono or someone else puts in what's called a help ticket and then usually the reply from engineering is no, thank you, and that's what you get.
Speaker 3: Well, that's it close, It's usually we'll get to it.
Speaker 2: That's also good six months later. Yeah, I know it's still broken, all right, so we'll we'll put that together because I have to see you because well, Frankly, you know, I mean frankly Okay, in the morning, I look at you and I get would I hate to admit that, but it's just you're that kind of guy. Okay, you got it. Neil is back. Good morning, Neil.
Speaker 4: I was so excited to be back and then you ruin it. And I want to give a shout out to the engineering and IT team who kicked who bust their humps?
Speaker 2: They do, they actually do. As a matter of fact, however.
Speaker 4: I did put in a help ticket to fix Handle fifteen years ago have him replaced.
Speaker 2: Yeah. As a matter of fact, I was just talking to rich our engineer there, and he we have some issues with Handle on the phone calls and he just came back from I think he was out for a few days. First thing you did was jump on that. And we're working and we have some glitches on the phone call.
Speaker 4: So they keep adding more more tasks to their list, and then you know, a few people do.
Speaker 2: I know this is hard, will do that. They fire people and they just put more tasks on the existing people and it's it's crazy. And you've been asking for a help ticket to replace the mop that you use after the show every day, and it's rude. Yeah, I just need it. It's a little yeah. Yeah, welcome back, Neil, you just butt it good to be back on the East Coast for a while with the family.
Speaker 4: My first vacation not being in management at KABI, and it was quite nice. You know how much I thought about the station very little?
Speaker 3: What station?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Wait, did you think about us? And miss us?
Speaker 4: I actually did miss you guys, And some of the audience reached out and checked on me, and I said, just a vacation, that is all.
Speaker 3: But it was quite lovely.
Speaker 4: I saw a family, traveled with my mom a bit, and then my wife and boy celebrated my double nickel birthday on Sunday, So it was a lovely trip. Went to New York and Boston, ran into Bill Carroll to ours two l's at a cemetery in Boston.
Speaker 2: Was he being? Was he being?
Speaker 3: He was alive?
Speaker 2: Not if you talk about his career here on KFI, he wasn't. Why do you go?
Speaker 3: Why why you do that? It was very lovely to see him, and I.
Speaker 2: Actually like, I actually liked Bill and Bill Carroll's a great I think I think he's a talent I really and strangely enough, probably one of the best broadcasters I've ever met. Yeah, he's very strong, although.
Speaker 3: He didn't do you know, he the only then just a very talented mind.
Speaker 2: And that's only because he's not crazy enough.
Speaker 3: That is, uh, because he thinks before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's that too.
Speaker 3: But it was really nice.
Speaker 4: Then we went to my brother and his husband's place on Cape Cod and it was gosh, that what a beautiful part of America. And you're talking about the birth of America there on the East coast. Yeah, you know, they came up with a lot of good names. They're like, Hey, I'm from York, what should we call this place. Let's call it New York. Hey, I'm from Hampshire. What should we call this place. Let's call it New Hampshire. Like it's no one was creative at all, but beautiful, beautiful area.
Speaker 2: New Amsterdam. Originally Amy, you had the look that you wanted to say something.
Speaker 5: I just want to know how you just happened to run into Bill Carroll in a cemetery.
Speaker 3: Here's what's weird.
Speaker 4: So Bill Carroll is friends with a guitarist from the Foo Fighters. Strangely enough, I happened to be friends with the drummer Josh Freeze of the Foo Fighters. He was there to see them. I didn't even know they were playing there.
Speaker 2: He was there.
Speaker 5: They were playing at a cemetery.
Speaker 3: No, they were playing in Boston.
Speaker 4: So he was doing the touristy thing being in Boston, and I was doing the touristy thing with my family. But like, uh, two months ago, my friend Josh sent a picture of him with Bill Carroll at a concert to me, so I sent him one of me with Bill Carroll in.
Speaker 3: A cemetery in Boston. I wouldn't want to paint it, but it.
Speaker 2: Just that's really interesting. Yeah, really, it's fascinating.
Speaker 4: I know here I should, I'll retell the story I wrote Bill.
Speaker 2: Handy guys time out Handle on the news with Amy Neil and me. Lead story is Ismail honey Yah or honey Ya, who is according to Hamas great or actually he's the late great Ismael Honeya that ham Hamas political leader killed in Tehran. Now that's interesting because you have to assume that the Israelis did it, and it is not easy to get into Iran, and somehow they were able to pull it off. And of course Israel will never ever admit it. They just never comment on stuff like that. Son, Yeah, and so we'll see it. Everything is ratching, ratcheting up over there. I think we're literally on just the cutting edge, but the regional war.
Speaker 3: What but they're getting the big names.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, yeah, they But then they've been doing that for a while. Israel has incredible intelligence and they're knocking off leader after leader and the only ones that are surviving, like Sinwar just stay in the tunnels, and I mean stay deep in the tunnels. And they don't even talk via cell phone. They what they do is they talk via landlines that connect from tunnel to tunnel or couriers above ground.
Speaker 5: That sounds like a fun existence, doesn't.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, the top boss at secret services, Yeah, we screwed up the Secret Services Acting director, told lawmakers as he was grilled on Capitol Hill yesterday that he considered it indefensible the roof used by the shooter in the attempted assassination of former President Trump was not protected.
Speaker 5: And Ronald Rowe Junior testified that he went to the rally site, he laid down on the roof of the building, and he said what I saw made me ashamed as a career law enforcement officer, in a twenty five year Secret Service veteran, I cannot defend why that roof was not better secured.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the failure, I mean, it was a complete failure. One of the things we're finding out not only was the roof not secured, how the Secret Service allowed a line of site shot to take place from four hundred and fifty feet away and hitting the president and former president, but also local law enforcement that works in conjunction with the Secret Service. Whenever a president or former president, or somebody who has to be protected by the Secret Service law, let's say a foreign dignitory or a dignitary or ambassador or whatever, the Secret Service was not communicating and couldn't communicate with local law enforcement. How the hell does that work.
Speaker 3: That is freaky.
Speaker 2: That there was a communication, yeah, and no ability to communicate.
Speaker 3: Gives you chills. That he went and laid down on the roof to check the line of sight and was just blown away.
Speaker 2: The stunned, stunned, complete failure. So they're bringing up they're going to have supervisors. One of the things is supervisors from the Secret Service overseeing everything that local police are doing prior to any appearance by the president or vice president or whatever.
Speaker 4: The triathlon competitors went ahead in Paris after concerns over water quality there in the East End River, and that caused the men's race to be postponed just the day earlier. I guess they're testing this on the regular, right, No, No, I.
Speaker 2: Think they were. It was today at eight a m. Paris time, and they are. I think they've already done it because there're eight hours ahead of us.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, they've been swimming.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, well obviously triathlons and one day who won it? Do we know any I do not have that. Yeah, we don't have that information. But they went ahead and they're in the water. They the authority said, yeah, the water is good enough. On the metal stand, I really want to see a photo or a video in the metal stand, because you know, those people on the podium have great, big, open, superating sores on their face that are just dripping with puss. You know that, don't you.
Speaker 3: But what is the what are they concerned salmonila or something?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they're concerned. It was like E coli and all kinds of crazy ass disease. It's it's the same river. It's a toilet.
Speaker 5: It hasn't been people have been swimming in it for one hundred years because it's been so dirty.
Speaker 2: It's completely disgusting. It is a They actually were thinking of calling it the toilet swim. And right, and yesterday you missed as I was trying to analyze it, that it's not the triathlon, it's the quad athlon because they have a diarrhea event right afterwards, and Mexico is considered the favorite to win that leto.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a guy from Great Britain won it, okay, and a guy from New Zealand finished the across the finish line six seconds behind him.
Speaker 3: Wow, And that's no, just because that's actually a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not on the not on the triathlon, because you're talking about not only the race not the full, not only the full marathon, but one hundred and ten miles on a bicycle. And I think, what a two point three mile swim and a toilet In this case.
Speaker 3: We do a try.
Speaker 2: There a lot of There are a lot of laps when you swim in a toilet.
Speaker 3: What you and I do a lot of triathlon and we'll try everything.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 5: Speaking of the Olympics, somebody's basking in the glow of the gold. It is Simone Viles and the US women's gymnastics team. They got silver in Tokyo. With Simone back on the team, they struck gold.
Speaker 3: She's amazing.
Speaker 2: She is nothing short of amazing. I was watching last night. Sure she is, yeah, she said two for six. She is absolutely extraordinary. She's stronger now at twenty seven that she's ever been. And she was doing some commercials. Tell me about her career in the world of advertising. She is funny, she is really attractive. She is a brilliant gymnast, gold medal winner. I mean, what do you think her Q rating, her likability rating is she is going to out Snoop Snoop.
Speaker 5: I don't know if anybody can out Snoop snoop. He's everywhere.
Speaker 2: You know, I've watching everywhere. I think he I think he's great. Yeah, he is terrific. It's the fun Olympics, especially the opening ceremony when they had the drag Queen last Supper scene, which offended one or two.
Speaker 3: Uh it wasn't the firs Last Supper.
Speaker 2: It certainly was.
Speaker 5: Oh, Neil, you missed.
Speaker 2: It, certainly, what excuse me? People were giving lessons past the matsa. You had to learn that in French.
Speaker 3: I heard there were some balls. I don't know if they were Motza. Yes, all right.
Speaker 4: The director of Project twenty twenty five, which is that so called conservative blueprint that everybody's talking about, I stepped down amid intense criticism, including from the former President Trump. His name is Paul Dan's, former top advisor in the Trumpet.
Speaker 2: Trump is is literally separating himself a whole lot from it. He has never said I am going to institute the Plan twenty twenty five. His only comment, I think is that I know of this is saying I don't know a lot of it. I don't know where it's coming from. The problem is that a lot of people, senior people in his administration were on the board and wrote, twenty twenty five, and it's really kind of scary. Project twenty twenty five totally reinvents America. The all environmental controls. By the way, eliminated Department of Education, eliminated LGBTQ rights, eliminated national ban on abortion. I mean, a very very different way of dealing with America's nine hundred pages.
Speaker 4: My favorite part was where blacks would no longer be black, they would be referred to as dark white.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to make everything easier, Yes.
Speaker 5: Keeping kids virtually safe. The Senate has passed legislation aimed at protecting children online. The vote was ninety one to three. Democratic Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon and Republican Senators Rand Paul of Kentucky and Senator Mike Lee of Utah voted against it, and then made their argument for why. Rand Paul was saying something about free speech, but the Kids Online Safety Actor requires platforms to provide safeguards to minors, including restricting access to personal data and also providing parents with ways to supervise how their kids are using the platform.
Speaker 2: Rand Paul votes against everything, any governmental intrusion, any government oversight or regulation. He votes against if you were to introduce into Congress, some were introduced the disbanding of the Senate. He'd vote for that, very strange guy. But anyway, it's going and it went big time, ninety one to three in the Senate.
Speaker 4: All right, So el Chapo's son, Joaquin Guzman Lopez leads not guilty to narcotics, money laundering, firearms charges.
Speaker 3: Of course, this.
Speaker 4: Took place just yesterday in Chicago and he was taken into American custody.
Speaker 3: And this just stunning arrest.
Speaker 4: You've got international betrayal, intrigue, all kinds of crazy stuff right now.
Speaker 2: You missed the story. You weren't here when the day that had happened. And this is Guzman's son. Actually was the negotiations to turn himself into the FEDS because one of the things in the United States FEDS, because one of the things that they're most frightened of, more so than other cartels leaders and assassination attempts, is getting going to the US and being put in federal prison because they can't buy their way out of that one. There is no protection. So he was negotiating through lawyers and he was actually set up a sting with this other cartel actually his dad's partner, and set up where the partner thought they were landing in Mexico to look at a landing strip, and it actually was in El Paso, and the FEDS were right there picked both of them up. So he's going to get some kind of a deal, no question. I will see.
Speaker 5: That's going to be a movie, don't you think.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, it sounds like really, Oh yeah, it is at that level. It's really interesting.
Speaker 5: Well, they say the risk of people getting the bird flu is very very low, but the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced a five million dollar initiative to offer seasonal flu vaccines to livestock workers. They say it's being done to reduce the public health concern that a new version of the bird flu could emerge among farm workers. It's been circulating in millions of farmed and wild animals. I think there's been one or two cases of it getting to peep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's it. That's tough for the virus to go from animal to people. I think it's a zoomatic when that happens. But man, when it does, that becomes a real problem. That's how you get that's how you get pandemics.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I was just waiting for some joke in there that was making me nervous.
Speaker 7: Oh you mean no, no, no, okay, all right, who's a big boy? Who's a big boy? Alrighty.
Speaker 4: So you've got third incident reported of the last several months by The Times and others in which Chinese, the Chinese have blamed food contamination for positive drug tests. And so now you have this another Chinese doping allegation flared up in the Paris Games. So some swimmers are starting to get ticked off because they feel like the officials aren't being consistent in enforcing the drug testing.
Speaker 2: When you have doping allegations, it's always or usually it's the athletes themselves. Lance Armstrong with the Tour de France. It wasn't the government of America involved in that. This is the government of China involved in doping scandal with its athletes. The same thing with Russia. So it's a big deal. It's a big deal. And the big is Israeli athletes are told do not eat poppy bagels because if you eat oh it's by the way, you eat poppy bagels. Just to let you know, yeah, you can test positive. You can test positive for the for heroin actually, because that's where hero warin comes from.
Speaker 3: Are bagels a big deal in Israel?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: American?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is very American bagels or not. I was just making a connection between Israel Jews. You know.
Speaker 5: Yes, traffic deaths are showing no signs of slowing down. It's not. In Los Angeles. Current numbers show that the city of La is on pace for more than three hundred people to be killed in vehicle related deaths this year. So far, it's one hundred and seventy. That's from January to mid July. And official say number one, I know, right, number one. Pedestrians are becoming a larger portion of those traffic desks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not paying attention because they're texting, so not looking left to right.
Speaker 5: You yell at people when you see them with their noses down when they're crossing the street.
Speaker 2: No I hit them.
Speaker 3: Oh you account for our hand. I have a theory.
Speaker 4: I have a theory on this, and these numbers at least point to it, and that is during the pandemic, we lost a lot of sociability. A lot of time people were indoors and I think that we it caused a social life.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 3: I think you're right, because if you're right.
Speaker 4: These numbers starting in twenty twenty one, they start cranking up and it's been consistent, although you know, right now we're a little lower than twenty twenty three, but as Amy pointed out, we're looking at exceeding three hundred.
Speaker 3: And I think, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Agree with you. People are texting more because that has become the way you communicate.
Speaker 4: That's social intercal just that there's this Unfortunately there's a selfishness too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is. And by the way, adding to the mix is there's no such thing as speed limits anymore. Well, because Amy, coming in and coming in Neil, you're doing sixty five seventy miles an hour coming in on the freeway, people blow past you at over a hundred and I get to two or three of those or four of those coming in, and I have a twelve mile run on the freeway.
Speaker 4: They're just there is something, there's something off, and I don't think people care about each other in the same way, and I think they're just kind of blowing passage. Plus we don't even do we don't even punish real crimes, So people are like speeding.
Speaker 3: What are they going to do?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: Company behind those vending machines, we heard about the sell ammunition. They are making their way out west. We heard about them in Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma. But American Rounds, the company which is based in Dallas, is moving some of these vending machines to Colorado Grocery stored West and Southwest Denver, and they say they will eventually make their way here to these United States.
Speaker 2: In California, yeah, and they're arguing that the technology age verification at the vending machine is far stronger than, for example, buying ammunition through the internet. I guess you can buy internet ammunition, right, and how do they control it? I don't even know in California can you even buy I'm sure this will never go in California. But can you buy ammunition in California through the Internet. I don't know if you can.
Speaker 3: I've never done it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. All I know is the other day I went to the vending machine and boy, that bag of FreeDOS that I bought was very very heavy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are still nine milimeter nine milimeter freetos. Yeah, yeah, whatever it takes it is.
Speaker 4: It is interesting, but we shall see because you have different like shotgun rounds. You could be eighteen to buy a shotgun, and shotgun rounds you have to be twenty one.
Speaker 2: No, but it's verification. It's some it's either face verification or thumbprint or some kind of technology that actually does a pretty good job if they can incorporate that.
Speaker 3: Although you could go vote for a president with no idea.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, they insist. But I'm just thinking of the technology is if you're old enough, you put your driver's license, for example, up to the camera, and then the camera and then it's it's connected to a large database that connects your picture that it finds all over the world in every you know where you have applied for it with the DMV and connect and proves that you are who you are and you're over eighteen or twenty one, and it sells. I tell you, it makes sense to me. It makes sense to do that with the freedoms, all right.
Speaker 5: The Copper's got a lot of copperback LA PDS Heavy Metal Task Force.
Speaker 2: Who knew there was one.
Speaker 5: I have arrested eighty two people and seized two thousand pounds of stolen copper wire. They actually put the task force back in case into place because people have been stealing all this copper wire all over LA, including at the new sixth Street Bridge, and they are taking it out of street lights in it there.
Speaker 2: It costs a not only is it unsafe because you don't have lights, but it costs a fortune to replace that copper wire. But that's the copper wire. Here's a question for you. I didn't even know they have a heavy metal task Force. So do you think in their office what kind of music would be playing on the speakers?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: They all wear spandex and get Yeah, it's and to watch them running those heels, it's insane.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they get the job done.
Speaker 3: Fun fact.
Speaker 4: One of the myths, at least about the term cop for police is that the badges used to be made out of copper and now the other one is that it's short for constable on patrol.
Speaker 3: So whatever, all right?
Speaker 2: Did yeah? I like that too? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Disneyland union employees agreed to ratify new three year contracts with Disney just late Monday evening. These new contracts include that minimum wage base pay goes up to twenty four dollars now or they are.
Speaker 3: That ain't badge, No, not at all.
Speaker 2: That ain't bad starting at twenty four bucks. And that's that's that's not bad. It really isn't. And the benefits are pretty good.
Speaker 3: KFI. Staff just left right now to go dow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, no kidding, no kidding. So the guy who says deadman till no tales now gets a minimum of twenty four bucks.
Speaker 4: I think that person probably gets a little more. But you know, in addition to that, their seniority increases, flexibility and sick leave, attendance policies.
Speaker 3: And other gains they've been fighting for for a while.
Speaker 5: Sheriff says he's sorry. So the sheriff in Sangamon County, Illinois said he was going to say something that he's never said in his career, and that is we failed. And he's talking in response to the shooting death of Sonia Massey, who was killed in her home earlier this month by a sheriff's deputy. She had called nine to one one to report an intruder and then when the sheriff's department went to respond to it, she move was shot by one of the deputies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there now there are demonstrations all over the country, which I kind of question the demonstrations and based on this, this was an outlier case. This is not policing. This is a guy who committed straight out murder. He is a rogue cop. He should never have been a cop. He went through what is in the last four years, six different police departments or four different police departments in six years, and he was thrown out of the military, and he became and somehow he got on the police force. The protest here is the protest here is how bad cops get hired. That's the problem here.
Speaker 4: But this is if you can't, especially in the black and brown community that already have a fear of law enforcement with legitimate history, if you cannot call them for help, that is a complete breakdown. Even if this is an outlier case.
Speaker 3: Those things, Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I'm not arguing on that. I'm not arguing this.
Speaker 3: It was horrific, Oh no, it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, the guy's going down. The guy, the guy is going down, and the sheriff, by the way, should be held responsible. How did this guy get hired by this police? I mean, this is kind of nuts, But this is not institutional racism. This is not a the police forces accost across the country. This is this is truly an outliar case and the and it's you can't conflate it with institutional racism and a history of racism what you have to.
Speaker 4: But there's been you know, it's compounding it. Bill, it's not this.
Speaker 3: I understand the outlier for.
Speaker 4: Its details, maybe, but really when you put it and stack it up against.
Speaker 2: Other recent and I don't know this and by the way, I don't know the stats as to how many people of color have been killed by the police inappropriately, out of policy, straight out illegally versus whites. And of course it has to be you know, the waiting has to do because you have members of you know, the community, how many in proportion are African American? Do you look at socioeconomic levels because crimes, crime rates are higher in poorer areas. I mean, it's it's a big deal. But this guy should go down and that's sort of a given. I just can't believe the police department.
Speaker 3: Hired this guy.
Speaker 2: Don't they have any controls whatsoever?
Speaker 3: What the that's part of the breakdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so anyway, Okay, we're done. We are completely finished with the news, all right, kf IAM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.