Speaker 1: With Laurent's segal end from London and Gerard Reed from Berlin. This is redefining energy.
Speaker 2: Today. On redefining energy, we're going to talk about that elephant in the room China.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the panda, Yeah, the panda.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you're dead right, panda in the room.
Speaker 3: But first of all, from my partner.
Speaker 4: A bl Loco Energy is Europe's premier leaser of ten foot container mobile batteries built in Europe with COTL best LFP cells. A Bloco Energy serves fourteen European countries, including France, Germany and the UK. Our Bloco's batteries can be leased for any duration between six weeks and six years, and they are monitored by the Dutch award winning platform school a Bloco Energy Make your life easier, make your business more flexible.
Speaker 3: Back to the show, and whatever China does in terms of energy technology investment has so much impact on the rest of the world. But also we have, I believe, a very distorted view of what China does and what China brings. So we thought it was a good idea to bring someone who can talk about that interaction between policy, investment, entrepreneurships and especially with what's happening in the Gulf right now? Is China going to be a winner or loser? What's happening? So jobbed, very very fast field of conversation. Okay, we have decided to bring doctor Michael Maidan. She is the head of the China Energy research at the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies and she knows the China system inside out.
Speaker 2: So let's bring around the show.
Speaker 3: Michele. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, and the excited to talk about the topic today, which is China and really what's going on and energy and maybe it let me just kick off the same one. If I look from the outside, the most astounding thing for me is how China has electrified its society and brought so many people out of poverty over the last twenty years. But maybe talk about that as a starting point.
Speaker 1: You're right, the sort of transformation of China's energy system in the past twenty years has been phenomenal just in terms of access to energy growth affordability. Though the last five years have been really striking. If you look at some of the charts of penetration rates, of renewable production rates of all the clean technologies they have the sort of es curve Israel, and that has happened really in the space of five years. It's been building up in the system for much longer through industrial policies and innovation, but the impact of that big electrification push with it decarbonization, has really happened over the past five years. That said, right, China has. And it's really fun to talk about the China numbers because it is the biggest of everything. It's got the biggest power system and we've just demand as exceeded ten thousand tarawa hours last year. It's got the biggest renewable deployment in the world, and last year alone it added four hundred and thirty gigawatts of wind and solar. But at the same time it added more coal capacity than India did over the past decade. It's the biggest importer of crude oil, it's the biggest consumer and producer of coal globally. So I think the story beyond that recent electrification is also an optionality and flexibility story, where China has all of the above, and now we're coming to a point of how do you mix and match those energy sources.
Speaker 3: Looking back at those China mus volume and it's always a bit difficult to know looking back, but you know you've got those plans every five years. Now we are entering in the fifteenth one. How much would you say is stuck down coming to sparty this side and everybody follows, and how much is market led, how much is province led? Or is it very difficult to assess? What are the drivers of that electrification?
Speaker 1: I think it's electrification and system change more broadly, that comes from clearly a top down vision. There's a guiding principle. There is a very strong central power. Certainly in the past decade, you sort of you can look back and see not as strong centralized power, but an ability to give a sense of direction, to put resources behind that sense of direction. Some of it is subsidies and active support, and some of it then filters down to local governments that give tax cuts or tax brakes and cheaper land. So you do have an enabling policy environment that can trickle down. But within that, once that's created, it's hugely competitive, and you've got the EV's companies and the battery companies that are now making very small margins because they're competing with each other for the market share. So you haven't actually a really interesting dynamic of central government directives that then spurs a lot of competition, and it's not always been efficient and perfect. We've got this image of the monolith in Beijing that is able to direct everything in everyone. The reality is way more complicated and fragmented. You look back at evs, there was so much subsidy fraud and there is so much adjustment and consolidation in a number of sectors. You know, that premise of the central government being able to guide the sector has also led to overcapacity. We've seen it repeatedly in a number of industry and you know, now it's called involution in China and it will lead to a round of consolidation. But it's a really confusing from the outside combination of top down directives and yet a lot of bottom up innovation, competition, creativity, and local government sort of stepping in to protect their needs and their interests, which makes it really confusing.
Speaker 2: You know, I did a lot of financing in the Chinese solar market like fifteen twenty years ago, and the thing that I was struck by then was was the animal spirits, which is they basically just went out there and said's complete and there was like, I don't know, the probably was one hundred companies at the time, and then if you look at the way the market's consolidated now there really is only a handful of them left. And the other thing that then happened in all of that is these companies became the technology leaders as well. It wasn't that they were just low cost producers. They did everything better quicker than we did in the West. And I suppose when I look at the EV space, I would assume the same is going to happen, or do you see it differently.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's absolutely a consolidation happening in the EV space and in the battery space. We're going to cut down from over one hundred companies to a handful of leaders. What's also been interesting, sort of in addition to these animal spirits in the clean tech space, which is very very different to traditional oil gas power, these are new companies. These are private entrepreneurs that have come into the space, often from adjacent industries, from batteries or electronics. They've shaken things up in China as well. They have the EV companies or a massive challenge for the incumbents that have been competing with ice makers and Western automakers. So what's really been interesting there is how they've come in from a very different sector. They've innovated, they've shaken up practices. They've also been gradually able to vertically integrate, some more than others. But they've gone from the batteries gradually into the mining as well. Like BID has its own fleet of ships now in order to be able to move the cars around, so there's also sort of ability to weather different storms. I guess on the entire supply chain to your critical mineral costs are taking a hit, then you've got a different segment of the supply chain in which you're making money, and that's really helped them. The bigger and the most powerful ones are the ones that are more vertically integrated, which I think is very different to what we're seeing in the West. Tends to still be quite siloed and quite specialized.
Speaker 2: I was going to add one. I think it's amazing really is when I look at say something like BID, which is you've gone from sort of a million car production to five million car production, and at the same time you suddenly have eight hundred and fifty thousand employees. It's for me it's the speed at which these companies scale, which is for me astounding because we've never seen anything like this in the West in terms of what they did. And as you said, they're vertically integrated. So BID makes its own batteries, it makes its cars, it makes its power electronics, and it has its own shipping fleet.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But obviously, you know, human capital is something that China has lots of. It is BYD that has one hundred and twenty thousand R and D employees. That's kind of scale that we can't really get in the West. And that's again it's an interesting combination of corporate strategies but also government enabling policies. We've written about this quite a bit, where you know, in the West we're focused on its subsidies, it's technology transfers or technology theft, and that's the only thing that the Chinese are good at. If you look at some of the policy framework or sort of what's happening more broadly in industrial policy, there's industrial clusters and manufacturing hubs. That means that you have a huge ecosystem that enables this innovation and enables gill and talent and R and D, and it makes that whole feedback loop between your production and your consumption much faster. If it takes two to three years to come up with a new auto with a new car model in the West, I think it takes nine months in China. And just the fact that you have these ecosystems is really significant, and that's a feedback loop between government and corporate that has really helped some of these innovations and the low carbon technology development.
Speaker 3: Now, Michael, let's look about the eight hundred pound gorilla. Energy security. It's a fundamental of the China energy pretty see. Can you talk about energy security when it comes to the power sector, and then with address oil and gas, especially considering what's happening in the Gulf right now.
Speaker 1: If you look at China's power sector, if you look at power supplies in China, they're overwhelmingly domestic. It's mostly coal. Ten percent of Chinese coal is imported, and then it's nuclear, renewables, hydro, a fraction of gas. So really the power system is predominantly self sufficient. Oil and gas. China has four million barrels a day of oil. That's roughly the size of Iraqi production. So it's got massive oil reserves. It's got I think the fourth or fifth largest gas reserves globally, But obviously demand is outstripped that massively, So yes, you can argue an electrification is denting oil demand growth. Gasoline diesel demand in China have already peaked and that's trending downwards. And yet oil imports are not declining. And if you look at future four cots, even in a world where it's energy transition electrification advances rapidly, it's still the biggest crude importer globally. Just because of the size of the system. You're still going to have petrochemical demand and jet fuel demand which sort of offset some of the decline, and transport fuels. But the point is that that vulnerability doesn't go away. What they have again done is giving themselves optionality and a hedge and flexibility in their stockpiling crude. But what we can see is that China's energy security policy seems to be vindicated from these first few weeks of the crisis in the Gulf in terms of oil supplies, the fact that China has diversified its import sources, So yes, it relies on the Golf for fifty percent of its crude. But you can flip it and say it relies on other sources for fifty percent of its crude. It has stocks that it's not releasing just yet, but it does have that as a cushion. And the big electrification program, so moving away from gasoline and diesel to electrification of passenger vehicles and trucks, which have really been gaining momentum over the past year. That serves as a shock absorber. Now that doesn't mean that China is completely insulated from the shocks in the Middle East. Higher prices are impacting Chinese end users and Chinese refiners. There is a physical shortage that is gradually appearing, and there are various indications about exactly how many Chinese tankers are moving through the Strait of Hormuz. But also that as Saudi is finding other export routes, mainly through Yamboo, then the Chinese refiners are able to load some crude. There is still going to be a shortfall, and I think the compounding impact of the lack of availability of oil of products, the precursors to petrochemicals are really important, and the shortages and price increases in gas are going to impact chemicals, for instance in China, But overall, if you compare China to other Asian countries, it is really I don't know if the least ex posed, but it has the most significant buffers and shock absorbers in the system right now. And what about metals, I think metals is something that's going to play out over time with a variety of sort of second and third order impacts from what we're seeing right now. And the other thing we forget when we talk about China's dominance in clean tech, they still need the minerals lithium, cobalt, rare, they have plenty, but manganese, nickel, that's all still important in order to process and to produce clean tech. So it's not like they're completely independent.
Speaker 2: I hear very clearly what you're saying there. What's for me interesting about China is the fact that what they did is they did see this dependence and said, adism, we need to at least lessen it. And they made this decision maybe fifteen years ago that one we would electrify. But the other thing that they did was they also did it as part of their industrial strategy and geopolitical strategy. Industrial strategy is, hey, let's produce all these components and then geopolitical strategy is you be into export all of these And I think that they've done an amazing job of taking this strategic view of the future. Like again correctness of our own, we might say they were just lucky, but I don't think. I think it was a real plan behind what they've done.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, there was absolutely an industrial policy and an industrial vision. And if you remember ten fifteen years ago, there was talking China about moving away from industrial capacity, relying more on consumption and services. And they've sort of realized that if you lose your industrial capabilities, you also lose economic competitiveness and a defense industrial base, and they've sort of slowed down that move towards a service oriented industry and sort of a post industrial economy. So they absolutely recognized the importance of industry and industrial capabilities. I think a lot of the clean tech there were different policy strands. So for evs, it was about a combination of of leap frogging ice technologies that they weren't going to be able to compete with energy security that led them to develop the EV sector. Solar started as an export industry, right, it was a few entrepreneurs, as you know, well that came back to China and said, look, they're feeding tariffs in Europe, let's capitalize on that. And it only gradually became a domestic industry. So they started from different perspectives, but again there was that consistent industrial policy and that move throughout the value chain. Because China also has so many resources and natural resources that today it is in an extremely strong position in those supply chains. I'm not sure it's set out to dominate them, but it clearly had a vision that these were things that China could and should develop, with lots of mistakes along the way, but today are pretty successful, a pretty significant position globally. That gives China a huge amount of leverage.
Speaker 3: Now let's talk a bit about the narrative from the West looking in China, what is real and what is balloons? We need to pop? Because there were very successful books recently saying okay, without Apple transferring so much expertise, they would never been able to produce a smartphone. There is the view which I share that the arrival of Testla and Shanghai somehow has boosted the development of evs. And of course, what is US brilliance versus China execution? Because you go from a football field to a functioning plant in less than a year. I mean, nowhere else in the world is that possible. So my question is what's real and what is fantasized.
Speaker 1: Everything is real, The question is how do you contextualize it and what do you make of it. Every data point probably that you'll read about China is true, the huge increases in power capacity, but also the fact that coal is still hugely significant, and it's such a vast and big country that you will have innovation that is based on probably pure technology theft, and equally a lot of technology that's based on a lot of hard work, home grown industry and innovation. So all of the above, what's important is the context and the nuance, which we lose very very quickly because the conversation about China, and I would say the energy transition becomes breathless and siloed very very quickly. China's good, China's bad. China can innovate, China can only steal. That's one of our biggest problems. If you look back historically, China's clean tech development has been based around a lot of technology transfers. Initially, there was a lot of innovation that came from the West. Where China has been very very good is at process innovation, at scaling up and again using that massive industrial base and skill base to scale up. I wouldn't say, though, that China cannot innovate today. First of all, that process innovation has been hugely additive and significant when you look at it again, to date, China has been better at sort of that process innovation rather than design intensive technological innovation. So you have less of those disruptive technologies coming from China. It doesn't mean that it's not going to happen. I do think that today in the system where clean tech or low carbon technologies are so developed, that ability for incremental innovation is just huge. We talk about sodium mine batteries, of all, the Chinese are doing that already. Part of it is to reduce dependence on lithium, and part of it is just because there's an ecosystem there. So there was that notion that China can't innovate, and then it's all the innovation and the growth in clean tech is because of subsidies and technology theft. I think that's wrong. It doesn't mean also that China is completely independent and is now going to dominate everything. There are areas where China does need the West and does rely on the West, and obviously synergies and collaboration would be great.
Speaker 2: What I was going to say, the other advantage that China, I think has is just a fact that it has a big market and the government doesn't just sort of say, go out there and build stories. They go, well, let's create a market for let's create a mark for evs. And so what there is is massive amount of learning. So if I take the case of say electric vehicles, well, actually they started with electric scooters, and they started years ago, and so people were sort of normalized in the around oh yeah electric, yeah, okay, so power cable, so what while we the West have not been normalized in and around it. That's the other big advantage that they have is that they're just more joined up in the way they go and approach these things.
Speaker 1: The electric scooters and small evs is not an example of a joined up strategy or of Beijing sort of say having this vision. Electric scooters originally and electric motorcycles were not allowed, and this was something that developed because there were batteries and because they were low cost, and innovation just happened because this was such a huge market. It emerged and it wasn't regulated to begin with, and the government actually tried to crack down on it. But then it became such a lucrative market that it's part of the market. That's the other thing that we miss a little bit with this vision that central government has it all planned and designed, and we don't appreciate just how much organic growth and room for innovation there is in I guess at the margins of the market, but the margins of a market like China that just becomes very quickly transformative because of the numbers.
Speaker 3: And to follow on your point, I add the privilege to see Stella l the number two of BIDE at conference. My god, what a rock star. She started a carry on parking lots waiting that the clowns is open. It is to supply boots and she would come with her samples of imitated the Sangyo batteries. And I mean, look what Biada has become. You can have all the plans. I mean every country make plans. Two ordered countries in the world to ordered plans, but some deliver because you have a generation of entrepreneurs. Zanget c ATN and so on, which I mean those people are absolutely remarkable, and it's always very puzzling that the Chinese system looks very monolithic and top down, as you say, But some heroes, some crazy entrepreneur has managed to put their energ and reinvest like crazy and developed. Now okay, we talk about Bady, but it's the size now they're reaching is absolutely insane. They mean more car Lastion, th and Ford really for being there fo one hundred plus yours.
Speaker 1: And I think the demand certainty is something that's really really important, where again for low carbon technologies, there has been consistency in the demands actually throughout, but in the policy again where we focus on subsidies, there's been subsidies and government support for production of all of this kit but also for demand and then for the infrastructure to go with it. So you've had that consistency of commitment that has been really really significant, and you have had these entrepreneurs that have been able to come in. But equally, that's one side of the energy system, the coal, oil, gas power. These are not private mavericks. These are state owned companies with a massive legacy of a bureaucracy and a responsibility for energy security and you know, operating in a pricing system that is set by the government and is quite hard to navigate and juggle through. So we've got the two sort of images of China that coexist, which again to your question, which I think is a brilliant question. Everything is true and sort of nothing is true unless you can textualize it.
Speaker 2: One thing that I'm really interested in is the environmental side of things, because it's very tear you go to China to day and you compare Shanghai to ten years ago, that just the air quality is just in a different league. In fact, it's probably better than most Western cities. Is that by accident or was that part of their strategy?
Speaker 1: Air quality was a massive driver of change, and if you remember twenty twelve to thirteen, just about the time of a leadership transition, there was heavy pollution in China. If you remember the headlines of Airmageddon, it was impossible to be engaging. It was stifling, and there was a lot of analysis in China as well at the time about the economic costs of deteriorating local air quality, and for many, many years actually efforts to improve air quality where the drivers have changed so evs as well were part of that. There are no sort of known climate deniers in the Chinese leadership, so it's not the climate is a contested issue, the need to improve climate, but again, historically it's been about local air quality that's really been a driver. What maybe a difference with the West, at least the West ten years ago, was that it was one enabling factor for change in the energy system. And so the need to improve air quality alongside the industrial competitiveness, alongside a positive position in climate diplomacy. Most of the time, all of that worked together in order to enable this shift in China's energy system, but climate alone was never a driver. And I think climate and the need to reduce carbon emissions, which right China still has a target, albeit quite nebulous, to peak emissions before twenty thirty and reaching at zero by twenty sixty. That will slow down if it's seen as interfering with economic growth or with industrial competitiveness. The good thing is that it goes hand in hand with economic growth and industrial competitiveness right now. But it's more about air quality than it is about carbon emissions.
Speaker 3: Michelle, to wrap this great conversation last question with what's happening in the Gulf, and you've said that it's a vindication of china energy strategy, going local, going tech, going green, building reserves. What do you think that the impact of events now will have on the declination of.
Speaker 1: The few plant There's a lot of continuity. If we assume that there is vindication that these things are working, there's going to be more continuity than anything else. And are sort of doubling down on these principles of encouraged domestic supplies, including in minerals stockpiling. If they draw down or when they draw down on reserves, they're going to have to replenish them. And the fifteen to five year plan does mention oil stock specifically, so that's going to continue once prices calm down. And this kind of focus on technology, but its technology is sort of its renewables and coal. So the issue is that China has its own domestic resources. Renewables are great, but coal is really a significant source of energy security, and we might actually see more coal to chemicals. We were seeing this sort of peak in coal demand that could actually be temporarily reversed because gas, especially with Raslafan, with Katari production out now for potentially a couple of years that will undermine the role of gas in the energy transition and really move the story to renewables and coal and clean tech. I guess the other interesting question is what happens to Chinese exports of clean tech. There's a lot of talk about, well, this only accelerates the move to renewables, but also in China, and we talked about this, we're seeing a slowing in renewable adoption in electric vehicles because of domestic issues, because of price reforms and involution. All of the shock right now is also going to increase pressure on prices and on margins of all the clean tech producers in China, and I think governments around the world. While energy security sort of does increasingly look as though it runs through renewables, we'll have to see inflationary pressure, We'll have to see budgets and appetite to be dependent on China. I mean, I think there's a lot of talk about, you know, China winds or the kind of winners and losers. Way too early to talk about winners and losers. And you know, there are certain areas where there are clear advantages, but they're also huge dissident advantages. The point is that China's electrification and decarbonization will continue this focus on technologies of sufficiency, but there are lots of open questions, especially about the balance of power between the US and China and how that impacts perceptions of China's energy security.
Speaker 2: Well, I just want to thank you for a brilliant conversation.
Speaker 3: Really that was very enlightening. Yeah, very And of course we only have thirty minutes, and I'm sure we could speak for hours. But what I will remember, and because you're the expert, you speak Chinese, you read their documents, you go there, is that it's complex and simple. Ideas are just political acts, and you need to put yourself through their eyes and their perspective. So, Michael, thank you very much for coming on the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you both so much for having me job.
Speaker 3: I love those conversation, and especially I realized that I know very little about China.
Speaker 2: I think most of us know very little about China. But that's why we bring experts like her on. I call it the big elephant in the room. What You're right, it's the panda in the room. And it's incredible what they've done in the last fifteen years. If I think of in the areas that we're active, which is the renewables area. Really, you think fifteen years ago there was no major Chinese company that could brand name of right, and then suddenly you've got COTL batteries, number one in the world byde number one electric car manufactor in the world. In the solar space, you've got long Jinko. You can go on and on and on in terms of what they've built up. So it's been incredible, and we just have to keep an eye on what they do going forward because the thing that I like about China is that they really do take this long term approach and they link their economic policy there let's call it the foreign policy, their geopolitical policy, and even their environable ant policy together in these long term plans and they go out and execute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for those who really want to dig a bit deeper, especially in the fifteen plan, I will put in the show notes what friends of ours Carbon Brief have put together following the release of the plan, and especially they work with an excellent expert, probably one of the best, alongside Automikael Medan with Lorie mil Verta. So a lot of links. Now, maybe my impression of the fifteen plans a bit wrong, but it's really a continuation of the fourteenth Plan, same leader, same technology. So everything is going to be about more digital, more energy, more vulnerable, more transmission, more that asset us, more of everything, and undimental targets about carbon intensity they have become a bit murky. So yeah, they try to have it both ways. And if there is a crisis, called is always there to fill the gap.
Speaker 2: What I take out of at Loran as a commitment to being an electro state, that's really what I take out of the right. Yeah, and that's the learning I think for us in the West. Is that the future because that's a technology based future. There's so much innovation going on in that whole area of electrical technologies and and of course obviously AI and digital related to that. That's the future, and that's why we need to jump on the bandwagon, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if you look at their relationship with specific fuels, and they were one of the biggest purchases of energy from Qatar, so now it's gone for we don't know how long. If you look at the situation in relation to oil, they still import twelve million baril of oil per day. If you look where those imports come from, where they used to come from Venezuela, so that's a bit at risk. They used to come from Iran, so that's a big question mark. And the rest is Russia, so forty percent of their imports come from sanctioned countries. That's a vulnerability. What they've done in the past two years, which is remarkable, is building their strategic Petroleum Reserve, which went from eighty days two one hundred and thirty days to just to give you an idea, the Strategic Petroleum Reserve of China it's sweet time, is bigger than the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve. They don't truly trust that all fossil fuel complex, and they've created a lot of buffer. I don't know who's going to be a winner and a loser with the current situation in the Gulf, but what is sure is that China has been smart enough to shelter itself from external shocks.
Speaker 2: I think I like the way you put that there on It's actually not about even winner a loser. It's just making sure that you've protected yourself. It's making sure you're not a loser. I'd say what it's about making sure you're not a loser, and they've definitely done that.
Speaker 3: Okay job. We thank doctor Michael Maidan. She's a brilliant researcher. She publishes a lot of very good research. We put the link in the show note as well, so make sure that anything you want to ask on China you can call her exactly.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thank you very much, my friend. But I'm looking chat forward to chatting again next week.
Speaker 3: Absolutely looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Redefining Energy.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to rate the show and subscribe on Apple Podcast, Spotify, or the platform of your choice.