Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: That is not dead, which can eternal lie and with strange eons, even death may die. The literary work of Howard Phillips Lovecraft is dark and macob. It casts a long shadow in American literature, influencing such writers as Rod Serling, Stephen King, Bob Howard, Robert Block, and many others. In his stories, he wove a tapestry of mad alien gods and unspeakable horrors, and of the insignificance of man, and of a mountainous evil that sleeps in the ocean, worshiped by mad cults in dark places, known only as Cthulhu.
Speaker 3: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 4: A giant very creature party.
Speaker 5: In Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 3: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 4: Monster Tall special literary additional.
Speaker 2: Hello. I'm Blake Smith, the producer and co host of Monster Talk. Today, We're going to flex our leathery wings and fly off into some new territory. Traditionally Monster Talc I am my co hosts Ben Radford and doctor Karen Stolesno discuss monsters that are part of folklore and legend. But today we're going to talk about monsters created by writer H. P. Lovecraft. Lovecraft was not well known in his lifetime, but his influence grew strong, and in recent years he attained a great deal of posthumous fame. His work is cerebral and literate. His erudition found no stricture in the pulse where he was published, and to approach his tales without a dictionary would be foolhardy for most. Yet within those multi sellabular and archaic syllables lay tales of terror as visceral as those of any writer in American literature. Today on Monster Talk, we'll talk with two guests regarding Lovecraft's work. First, the well known Lovecraft scholar Robert M. Price, we'll talk with us about the writer's life and his works, and then biologist P. Z. Myers will talk with us about the biological inspiration for Lovecraft's most well known creator, Cuthulhu.
Speaker 3: Monstrutal.
Speaker 2: Tonight, we're interviewing Bob Price, a scholar of religion, a member of the Jesus Seminar, a teacher, a regular host of the Point of Inquiry podcast, and a noted scholar of HP. Lovecraft in his works, and so those are kind of what's the word there, They're different, different specialties that you have there. The Lovecraft stuff seems somewhat at odds with the religious studies maybe, But how did you become interested in the works of HP Lovecraft?
Speaker 4: Well, I was, I guess.
Speaker 5: This was back in about sixty six or sixty seven, and Lancer Books had just, I guess, done their second printing of the two Lovecraft collections, The Color Out of Space and the Done Which Horror, and I was in the midst of just bathing in all this great pulp revival in the paperback books, plus new stuff like Tolkien being offered, and I was reading Robert E. Howard and Doc Savage and Lynn Carter and you name it. And then a friend suggests that I would really like this, and so I did immediately, and I loved the poesque style, and the more the Cthulhu mythology business unfolded in the writings of Lovecraft and his buddies, the more intriguing it got. And so I was deeply into conservative Christianity at the time, and I was into theology, and eventually I got a doctorate in theology and another New Testament. Well, the same interests made this very interesting to me too, because here was Lovecraft fabricating a myth system and doing it in texts that required interpretation. So this is the perfect sort of.
Speaker 4: Hobby for me.
Speaker 5: And I've always been really equally interested in the writing itself and in the mythology of Lovecraft. So they've it's been a seamless thing. Actually with now of course I'm understanding all to be mythology and such, so it's even closer.
Speaker 4: But I think I always was in.
Speaker 5: Touch with the deeply mythological character of all that and another favorite interest of mine superhero comic books. That's raw mythology also, and I love all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I come from a very conservative religious background myself, and it's been an interesting transition into a more I guess their plight thing was just to say liberal with did you find that when you were reading Lovecrafts or even Robbery Howard and that sort of thing, did you feel like you were doing something a bit profane? Did you have to cover the book up if you were at school, or you know, the covers? Are I a lurid sometimes on those books?
Speaker 5: Well, I seem to remember feeling occasionally that there might be some incompatibility, but on the whole, I don't believe I did. But there was a time when I just felt like I needed to drop everything.
Speaker 4: Else away for a few years.
Speaker 5: But I was really into witnessing and the old thing and got into intervarsity Christian Fellowship when I was in college, and I was then instead of out and out fantasy writers, I was reading theologians and such and just love that.
Speaker 4: I'm glad I did.
Speaker 5: But once I decided I just didn't see the cogency of Orthodox religion anymore. I decided I would take a second look at these old things that had always charmed me and got back into them as well.
Speaker 1: So, Bob, who was HP Lovecraft? And how did a writer he's so little recognized by modern readers come to be so well respected by modern writers?
Speaker 5: Well, he was a proverbial pulp writer. He began just writing for himself. He had read a lot of eighteenth century literature because he lived in his grandfather's house, read the old books in the library, poetry and prose cover to cover, top to bottom. And though he never finished high school, he was self educated and deeply so, and he wrote for his own amusement, And when somebody persuaded him to submit a couple of stories to the new magazine Weird Tales, he did so with the letter to the editor saying, now, if you publish these, I don't want a single comma changed.
Speaker 4: Are you willing to do that?
Speaker 5: And so the editor kind of laughed, we're told and said sure, and I guess kept his promise, and then Lovecraft, for years thereafter would curse himself for compromising his esthetic standards to appeal to the audience of the pulps, which he graciously referred to as.
Speaker 4: Yaps and nit wits.
Speaker 5: So and yet he claimed he didn't want to commercialize, or alternatively, would lament that he couldn't, unlike some of his friends like August Derleth, who was a chameleon and could do either one well. He was very, very popular with these young readers in his time. He didn't have to wait for recognition there though he never made much money out of it. He couldn't get a book of his stories published during his lifetime, though he came close a couple of times, and then there have been of course since his death, and the preservation of his work in hardcover by a couple of his pals, August Derleth and Donald Wandreie, who found at Arkham House expressly for that purpose. He's attracted more and more of a cult. Though Edmund Wilson was already denouncing the Lovecraft cult in the forties, I guess it was. But it's just continued to grow. And thanks to the work, I would say, mainly of St. Joshi, whom I interviewed recently on our Point of Inquiry show, he has become recognized more and more in the literary mainstream.
Speaker 4: Whether that's a good thing or not, I don't know. I guess it is.
Speaker 5: But writers, as you say, have always realized this guy's pivotal importance and great gifts and have been influenced by him, even when they don't want to admit it, and though many do. And now you've got the critical mainstream taking a second look at him, and whole new audiences of young readers who come to him through role playing games and the like, and they know all about his mythology before they've ever even read one of his stories. And some people come to him through the ever increasing number of Lovecraft based movies, and there's lovecrafty and rock, and then there are plush Lovecraft monster toys of cuddly Cuthulhu and so on. So it's this flood of popular interest in Lovecraft that would have completely astounded him had he lived to see it.
Speaker 6: We talked to some about the people who were influenced by him. What about some of his predecessors, such as Edgar Allan Poe. Obviously Poe plays a lot a big role in Lovecrafty and fiction, but what are some of the other lesser known influences you see in his work?
Speaker 5: Well, he loved m R James, the greatest ghost story writer in the English language, and he's somewhat like him, though it's hard to see specific influence other than a few ideas. In particular, I don't think the mood or the style is very close to James. But Count Magnus, for instance, is a big influence on the call of Cthulhu, as is Lord Dunsane's house in was at a shop I forget in go By Street, and a lot of things figured in there. Lovecraft seems to have gotten a lot of his notion of the cosmic outside neess. This mystery impinging upon our own from Algernon Blackwood, and he said that the probably the greatest supernatural story was The Willows by.
Speaker 4: Blackwood, and he also liked the Wind to Go.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: Then he just thought the world of Arthur Mackin, who is I think possibly the biggest influence on him. Once you've read The White People, the Great God Pan, and one or two others by Macin, you've almost read The Dunwich Horror already, and so he's a major influence. Especially the idea of the Old Ones, a surviving banished race from elder to times. He got that, i think from Macin, though he interpreted it as a pantheon of unknown gods, and picked that up from Lord Dunsane, the Irish baron and fantasist. And in some ways Dunsaney and Poe have always been considered the chief influences on him, because his earliest work was very much in the classical, almost biblical style of Lord Dunsaney, though he came upon it independently, and he had already written The White Ship considered a Dunsanean tale before he encountered Dunsainte's work, but then went whole hog for a while in that vein but Poe really claimed him. He preferred to pos my god of fiction. But I would say Mackin was at least as much of an influence Edgar Rice Burroughs, oddly enough as a big influence on him, as well as John Tayne, the science fiction writer. And yet I find that, having gotten into these other authors, and of course come to appreciate them greatly, when I go back and read Lovecraft and see what he's done. He did successfully just what you always hear writers ought to do, to assimilate influences and make them into something new by kind of artistic alchemy.
Speaker 4: He a sure did that.
Speaker 6: So most of the people what mid late eighteen.
Speaker 5: Hundreds, Mackin and Blackwood, and I believe m R. James were contemporaries of his. Blackwood read The Rats in the Walls and said that it was good, but a little too grossly physical in its horror. And I don't know if Lovecraft ever knew that that he had commented on it. But most of these guys were late nineteenth early twentieth century, except for Poe obviously, but he saw Dunsaney do a reading in person.
Speaker 4: For instance.
Speaker 5: He's the only one he met. I believe out of this bunch, but they were pretty much contemporaries.
Speaker 2: Lovecraft, that was a remarkable letter writer and correspondent. Was it a conscious decision on his part to build that shared fictional reality that he and other writers could place their works in.
Speaker 5: He didn't initiate the idea as far as I know, But once his friends began to copy him and say, oh, I like that acronomic and so I've come up with my own book of ibond.
Speaker 4: Oh. He loved that, as you can tell from his letters.
Speaker 5: And they say, oh, yeah, by all means, in fact, I may refer to your thing. And if some like young Robert Bloch said, here's the story with my grimoire the Mysteries of the Worm, Lovecraft would say, well, that's good, but let's pep it up a little bit with a Latin title as the original about Dave a Arms mysterious, and he would really get involved in He Richard Sea writes the elt Down Shards. Oh, he loved that, And so he said about making up this law background story, little realizing that Seawright was working on his own in another story. He hadn't shown Lovecraft yet, And so we have a two completely different accountings of that. Well, he loved the game once somebody started playing it, and he liked the fact that it would grow up with all these citations, especially in so far as they were somewhat inconsistent, because that apes the character of real mythology. It's not all in these system So he just loved it. There are some of his fans that say this is a big mistake, like if I'm not mistaken, Will Murray and David Schultz and others who are great, great Lovecraft scholars think that this made Lovecraft make kind of a joke of it in some ways, and he probably should never have yielded to it. But the result was this irresistibly fascinating pseudo religion that many Lovecraft fans find this to be the favorite thing of their there's their favorite aspect of his work, the Cuthulhu mythos, so called, and I.
Speaker 1: Was going to move on to Cthula and what is there Cauli mythos.
Speaker 5: Well, it's August der Leff's pretty good attempt at coming up with a title for this. Lovecraft himself called it a tongue in cheek yog sethothary, as if it were a religion, and he said, well, Judaism and Christianity are no more valid than my own yog suthothary. And he he set up this uh, this system of myths, whereby there were ancient races unknown to most people, who of beings that had come to the earth from unimaginable distances of outer space or other dimensions. But it's the creation or the evolution of humanity, or in some stories, created human beings as a mistake or a joke, because he has someone saying at the Mountains of Madness and it was all science fiction basically. But he has the poor, hapless, ignorant humans in in certain.
Speaker 4: Esoteric, degraded cults.
Speaker 5: Doing the bidding of these ancient beings now shut away in caverns and so on, communicating by dreams. And these people are the dregs of society, are trying to do what they can to release their masters, to pillage the earth and so forth, or to drag it off into a different dimension, as it says in the Dunwich Horror, and so that they're these evil but really just sort of stupid and venial humans trying to end the world as we know it and restore the rule of the beings who are indifferent to humanity. And and the big horror of this is not just while there's King Kong throwing the subway cars around and swatting the biplanes off, the empire state building physical destruction. You almost don't see that happen in his stories. One or two cases you do. But the shocking humbling of the sense of human self importance. What you mean, there were millions of years ago intelligent cephala pods and ceqcumbers with wings who are vastly superior to our intelligence. Now we're the beasts, not them. And that's the really terrible, humbling insight that he communicates. Though this seems to be allegorical for Lovecraft's worldview. Of course he didn't believe there were monsters and such, but he said, the very indifference of the universe, this is the humbling and shocking truth that science tells us that people don't want to hear, so they retreat into religion and superstition. So it was a kind of a philosophy that he really did believe using the image the vehicle of science. It's fiction and the a kind of a hoax version of religion, as priest Craft and that's where the mythos comes in. It's gods and scriptures. But even in his own stories, it's only the duped fools who think so. So the really interesting combination of all these insights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seemed to me that the mythos itself embodied to kind of cosmic neilism. Yeah, yeah, does it's also informed by the science that was coming out at the time. Am I right? And remembering was he an amateur astronomer?
Speaker 5: Yeah, when he was a little kid, he was in the observatory and looking out at the heavens and even a hectographed i think a little Providence Journal of Astronomy.
Speaker 4: And sold it.
Speaker 5: The kid was a phenomenon and it just was absorbed in the vastness of the cosmos, and I'm sure that was a big influence on his whole outlook.
Speaker 6: Cathilla, mythos reminds me of something else. Do you see any parallels between Lovecraft and for example, l Ron Hubbard with cults and alien gods and intelligences.
Speaker 5: Well, from the little I know about the scientology mythology, it's more it comes out of more properly called pulp science fiction, with the space tyrant and all that stuff Lovecraft. That would be more like the aspect of Burrows that Lovecraft didn't care for. Scientology sounds like it's based on space opera, much like the Nation of Islam, with the mother plane ship up in the sky and the evil doctor yak Kube mutating specimens until he got to the Blue Eyed White Devils, just sort of Saturday afternoon matinee stuff. And as I understand it, Hubbard took a plausible technique of consciousness raising the dyetics thing, and then added this mythology to it to make it into scientology. And Lovecraft would never have taught a doctrine like that, or a method or anything. He thought people were generally all right as they were, and religion had a kind of an esthetic value into some degree of social control value. But he met Hubbard once, by the way, but as far as I know, his only comment was on his brilliant red hair. But I don't see a whole lot because I think it's Lovecraft did in his vision. His resulting mythology wasn't as trite.
Speaker 6: And I suppose also the Hubbard. Unlike Hubbard, Lovecraft didn't release set people to take it seriously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was highly abused. When they did, he.
Speaker 6: Seemed as readers were smart enough to know this is just fiction.
Speaker 4: But sometimes they weren't.
Speaker 5: In fact, a collaborator of his, William Lumley, no relation to the great Brian Lumley today, he was in pall of Lovecraft. He collaborate with him. Sometimes he would sort of laughingly say in letters to other people, well, old Bill maintains that Smith and Howard Long and I are really unwitting mouthpieces for elder entities, and that Cthulhu et cept for really exist.
Speaker 4: And so it was already starting.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 5: People would write to him and say where can I get a copy of an Acronomicon, And he would write in back say, I hate to tell you.
Speaker 4: This, but I made it up. There's no such thing.
Speaker 5: So it began immediately that people thought it must be real, and he had to try to disabuse them.
Speaker 2: I actually saw, I believe, in the seventies there was a black covered book that was called an acronomic on. I think it was a hoax of some sort. The other few of those, yeah, And I saw that before I ever read Lovecraft. And so when I first read Lovecraft, I thought that's all I've heard of this book before I got it a lot of order.
Speaker 5: So was it a big book looked kind of like a high school yearbook?
Speaker 2: No, this was actually the paperback and it was it was it was sort of the occult section of the bookstore. This was you know, this would have been in the probably the late seventies, and I really wasn't supposed to be in that section because they had the Satanic Bible and they had so over here with the cult stuff. Was a book called the Necronomicon, and it claimed to be you know, the writings of Abdullahlav read uh. But later on I had heard that that was actually a literary hoax of a sort. I mean, obviously it wasn't the real Necronomicon because, as you say, Lovecraft made it up. So I'm not going I'll look into that. See if I find the history of that book, that particular one.
Speaker 5: It's probably Simon's Necronomicon. This guy claimed to be a defrocked Eastern monk or something and called himself Simon and what he did. Basically it was published by the Schlanga Croft Barns. I think it was as a kind of a thing looked like a big high school yearbook, and then eventually Avon, who published the Satanic Bible, published a paperback edition of this that you still see and I'm pretty sure that's the one. And in it he claims this is the real necronomicon, but it is real ancient text, but it's part of some ancient Sumerian chants with a few mythos names thrown in, and it's it is a hoax though. And I one afternoon years ago, Lynn Carter, s t Joshi and I went to the Magical Child, a cult bookstore in the village, and Simon was lecturing in the back room and these kids were They're saying, can you use an acronomicon with your scrying crystal and see the old ones? And this guy was up there saying, well, it might work, but I don't know if I'd try it, And we were just fuming, and it was obvious this guy was just pulling show the Gourad's wool over their eyes and having a good time about it.
Speaker 6: But oh man, did you say the publisher called Shlung a craft barn.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe that's the most horrifying part of it.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I know I did the first I immediately thought and they make great porn as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah they should have. Yeah, they may also have, all I know.
Speaker 1: So who is this Cthulha character and why of all of Lovecraft's creations does he rank the fame that he has.
Speaker 5: Well, he's the star of this story, The Call of Cthulhu, which is one of the first to begin to move toward a system in that he uses together documents about this hitherto unknown cult of Cthulhu and eventually discovers a manuscript written by Norwegian sailor who happened to stumble upon Realier, the non Euclidean island in the Pacific, where Great Cthulhu is imprisoned. And by this time we know that Cthulhu is some sort of a space alien who ruled the world in the past. But he and his he was the great High Priest of the Old Ones, who might or might not have been like him, and Lovecraft describes him as having a roughly humanoid or ape like form, a kind of a colossal octopus head, rudimentary wings and claws, And he was the high Priest of the Old Ones, and they could only exist when the stars seen from the earth were in a seen and when they moved from that they would have to go into dormancy. But one day the day would come when they would be alive again on earth. And in the meantime they were served by these sort of idiot humans, but it was kept a great secret. You might find them in the Louisiana Bay. You you might find them among the greenland Eskimos or who knows where he threw a little theosophy into this un dying leaders of the cult existed in the mountains of Tibet and such. Well, this sailor finds that Relier has risen from the ocean and Great Cuthulhu emerges. The stars are right and the guy barely escapes with his life, and Cthulhu is this huge, lumbering, semi material titan that follows him through the water. But somehow must have gone back into dormancy without explanation because the world has not ended. But here's a case where he described the thing. So it's something he didn't with all of his monsters. And since August Lef coined the Cthulhu mythos and gave him the centrality, I guess people just liked him the best.
Speaker 4: There's like with some of these entities like Niro Latho Tep.
Speaker 5: He's described in radically different ways or as a thought. The nuclear chaos is never described and couldn't be, and Sath is pictured as a kind of by implication, a huge mountain of eyes and gaping mouths and tentacles and so on. So Cthulhu is the only one you could really easily make toys out of or do cartoons with, and that's been done. So I guess that's why. I don't really know, because there are about five or six that you could make the star of the show, but he's emerged as number one.
Speaker 6: It seems like in some ways he was kind of ahead of his times. For example, envisioning the extraterrestrials with amazing powers and stuff. It struck me. I don't know whether you would agree or not, but it struck me that without the horror aspect of it, it seems like some of the things. I might that some of the things that he writes about could have been written by a new ag or Ufo Boffs in the seventies in terms of, you know, visiting alien intelligences and gods looking over us.
Speaker 5: Well, some of those writers, like whatever the Powells and Begier or something like that, who wrote The Morning of the Magicians, big book in France translated into English a lovecraft with being a pioneer in this kind of thinking, and he did precede the Eric Vondanik and ancient astronauts thing. He's, of course, he wasn't promoting it as a genuine theory, but he did try to make it plausible and so that the ancient gods were really misunderstood aliens and so a lot of people. And that's not an absurd theory. I don't know how one would prove it, but it's it's not ridiculous. I find it even more amazing that in his phobia of of oh, non white, non western UH and to some degree even the female groups of factions of humanity, he was afraid that his UH, well to use these these terms lago centric, eurocentric, fallocentric, et cetera, the elite, the the not quite dead white males, that their cultural dem onion was about to be overthrown by the forces as he saw them, of barbarism, superstition, and irrationality stemming from Southwestern Europe, Africa, Asia and so on. And he if you just take the pajarative vocabulary away from it. It's very much what many people think has happened or is happening.
Speaker 4: And so, to some degree, his insidious cults of rat faced.
Speaker 5: Mongrel hordes and all that, especially the intermarried people like the ensmuth deep ones represented the non whites, and the terrible possibility of intermarrying.
Speaker 4: Between the horror groups. So he didn't like that.
Speaker 5: And so, but he did see just the kind of world cultural change coming about before a lot of people were talking about it. He didn't like it, but I think he saw it pretty clearly.
Speaker 2: I thought that it didn't. But he married a Jewish woman. But you know, it's kind of uh, not famous. I mean, he gets a lot of negative press for his anti jew attitudes. I haven't actually been able to I've heard he's written some pretty rude stuff along those lines, but you know, except for like the Horror of Red Hook, you know, some of that stuff pretty I don't know if it was edited down or it just he seems kind of vague about what it is he hates or doesn't like. I was very mixed about that. In fact, I actually ran into Julia Schwartz. I don't know if you know Julia Schwartz, but he Julius.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he had a pleasure of meeting him once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was he used to be. He was a Lovecrest agent for at least a while. And I asked him about it because he was like the only person I ever got to meet that actually knew Lovecraft and uh. And he said that, you know that all the time they'd worked together, that he'd heard about that anti Semitic uh sort of attitude, but he said Lovecraft never showed it to him. And as far as he knew that the woman he had married was Jewish. So that's right, it's very very de Man's an enigmatic to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I don't want to defend him. He was definite racist, But you're right. I mean, I don't want this to sound like, oh some of my best friends of belonging to in inferior racist right, right, But in fact, as you say, his wife is Jewish. Sam loved who admired and loved and was a good friend. He was a Jew and love him. And years after Lovecraft's death, I think, in as late as the seventies, heard about this side of Lovecraft and was just flabbergas and said the no good hypocritical so b, which is unfortunate, but Lovecraft asked for it by the things he wrote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't anyway want to be an apologist for the man. I like his work separate from that aspect of his life. I just I thought it was more confusing and surprising than an excuse, you know what I mean. It's just yeah, really really, you know, not exactly like the peopleple who you know who were secretly gay and then work really hard to stop gage from having rights. But something like that to me, to be vocally anti Semitic and write anti semitically and the yet mary and work with Jews seems really well, it's just it's odd.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I guess it just means that it was just bad theorizing. Like I know a guy who's a New Testament scholar and didn't a scholar of Buddhism and just a compassionate, intelligent person, but he's.
Speaker 4: Also kind of a Holocaust revisionist.
Speaker 5: I'm not a denier exactly, but it's kind of startling to suddenly hear that and then you just think, well, at least it doesn't seem to permeate the rest of them, where it's like finding out Heidegger was a Nazi. He didn't, as far as I know, it didn't remain one when he was writing his famous philosophy, and I don't see how it taints the philosophy. Or Go Garden, one of big dialectical theologians, another Nazi. There's a few of those guys Islamic specialists, biblical scholars who were zig Hiling.
Speaker 4: You know, maybe they're in hell.
Speaker 5: Now, but I don't see how it spoils what they wrote, since they didn't actually write about that crap. I'd say the same with Lovecraft. He just, unfortunately had these stupid ideas on some things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the racism especially, it seems it's intellectual laziness. In my mind, is what the basis of it is, you know, using race as an excuse for whatever you're concerned with. But it seems, you know that it's hard to get around it from that era. It's a lot of stuff. But I do like his writing, you know, whereas when we're talking about fiction. But let me get get back to some of the deeper questions. Here's one for you, Bob. You're you're a famous person for your atheism, and you're also a well known Lovecraft scholar and St. Joshi is famous for his Lovecraft scholarship, but it is also a well known atheist, and you're kind of like bookends that way. Is this a coincidence or does Lovecraft scholarship ten ones toward disbelief.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it's part of a larger picture where though I couldn't prove this, I suspect that a huge majority of fantasy and science fiction and horror buffs are atheists or agnostics, as Lovecraft himself said that the idea of the fantastic is especially powerful since they don't believe in it, and it would require a big imaginative suspension of disbelief, and that's what they want to do when they're reading fiction. Also, though, I think that the natural hunger people have for transcendence of the mundane either comes to them through religion or through what they know to be fantasy. Somebody once asked Tolkien why he wrote so called escapist fiction, and he said, well, I don't see why we should require the prisoner to think of nothing but as four walls all day, and so, you know, you do need a horizon of fantasy and that's what all meaning is. In my opinion, we have larger brains than the animals. They have an instinctive environment that they inherit in many ways. We have to create one a cognitive atmosphere and habitat, and depending on what word you want to use, that is what leads us to create culture, mythology, and symbolism, and all of which give meaning, and two weave stories which we then take as models to live by. And so I think meaning is fiction. Fiction is meaning. I like Jung when he says that that hardwired into the brain are certain images that are presented to the consciousness in the form of religious symbols, magical symbols, fairy tales, myths, mandalas, and so on. There may not be any supernatural thing to correspond to it. I don't think there is, but we do need to connect with these fantastic archetypes of the unconscious to be able to flourish as individuals. And I think atheists find this through fantasy or fiction. Other people find it through religion, some find it through both. So I think that's the larger connection. I asked st the other day if he was influenced much by Lovecraft, toward atheism. But he said, now he had never really been a believer. He was not raised with any religion, where I was just the opposite. But my problem was I just came through critical study of a history and texts of religions to believe that there was not a credible case for these miraculous things having happened, and that probably God was a human creation, albeit a noble one. So I'm not like an anti religionist like a lot of my atheist buddies. I love religion, I just don't believe that it's true in a factual sense.
Speaker 1: And I was going to ask you what were Lovecraft's views on religion.
Speaker 5: Well, he thought it hung on because people needed assurance and they felt properly threatened by meaninglessness in an empty cosmos, so they'd rather not think that it was empty. And it is helpful for social control, and depending on the kind of religion you're in, it does have aesthetic satisfactions. And so he didn't think that it would be better if there were no religion. But he thought intelligent, thoughtful, thoughtful people would rise beyond the need, and that he had.
Speaker 6: Bob, I was trying to think of where the first place. I actually remember seeing a clear film reference to Lovecraft, and I think it was probably an Evil Dead with the book and everything. What are some of your favorite film references to his work.
Speaker 5: I like the sort of oblique tip of the hat in the Ninth Gate, with this, this Grimoire, the Dello Melanicon, the Black Book who Are written by Satan himself. That that's kind of lovecrafting, and with that beating to death of familiar names and such. I like the carbon No or the oh well that too, Yeah, and I think that's great and very lovecraft.
Speaker 2: How were you going with the Mouth of Madness?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the one.
Speaker 5: I was trying to think of both of them, one explicitly one implicitly Lovecraft. Of course, the thing is based on the Campbell's story, but many think that was based on Lovecrafts at the Mountains of Madness anyhow, But it's certainly the same sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: I like that a lot. I have a great Oh.
Speaker 5: I think this movie done by so called amateurs a few years ago called Cthulhu, based on the Shadow over Ensmouth, is very very good. I have a fondness for these old like the Dunwich Horror and Die Monster Died and the Haunted Palace. They're great cheesy moments in all of those, mister Ward, have you ever heard of the Necronomicon? And they're actually more love Crafty than the original story, so I got a huge kick out of those. There are others like The Resurrected and a serious attempt to do Charles dexter Ward in.
Speaker 4: The modern world. I thought that was.
Speaker 5: Not very interesting. Or the Curse based on the color out of Space. I didn't care much for that either. Or this recent one of the Dunwich Horror with Jeffrey Combs as Wilbur Wadeley. I thought that was awful, though not nearly as bad as Beyond the Dunewich Horror. This sickeningly terrible amateur work we screened up at the Lovecraft Film Festival.
Speaker 4: So I'm kind of piggy.
Speaker 5: The more I see of Lovecraft related movies, the more I am no longer eager to have a good one, though I think there is still a chance. Del Toro says he wants to make At the Mountains of Madness, and if he ever gets around to it, that will be a great Lovecraft movie. But having seen all these things, I kind of feel like, let me just read the original stories. What the heck, let's keep up the attempts. I hope somebody does make a real good one.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I tried to do, you know, just for the personal writing exercise, to try to do a screenplay of The Whisper in the Darkness. And it's hard because when you take a story apart, especially Lovecraft's work, it seems that sometimes the story in your mind after having read it, flows much more smoothly than the actual words on the page, especially that one, I mean, similar to the action is actually happening in letters already in the past. It's almost like, you know, Kafka, It's like the metamorphosis, I mean, where the action has already happened. You know, everything's already taking place, and you're just left with the horror, you know, which doesn't really work on screen very well.
Speaker 5: Almost everything is off stage, Like you say, the letters, what are you gonna do with that? But also when Will marthe is in the house and he wakes up and hears these choices and realizes, I got to get the hell out of here. Even there, you don't see what's happening, and of course if you did, it would ruin it, so there's not that much to see.
Speaker 4: And the biggest sequence would be this.
Speaker 5: Guy driving through the hills of Vermont, which would look nice, but you couldn't even do that for very long. And yeah, it's very tough, so they always have to add in the things Lovecraft carefully omitted, like characterization and action, so what he got left that is tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been tough for me as a fan. You know, I don't want to be a snob about the movies, but really so the movies that seem to work best for me are like you say, The Ninth and I thought did a very nice job, and I love the thing, these movies that are influenced by, but not necessarily directly derived from, Yeah, Lovecraft's work.
Speaker 5: So Lovecraft's he never quite got away from the idea of prose poetry, which he learned from Dunsaney, and even his scientifically technical prose works in like The Mountains of Madness and The Shadow Out of Time, even they're artfully crafted in such a way that so much depends on the narration, not the story, that the whole experience is almost more like reading poetry than fiction, and that good luck making a movie. Out of a poem. Look at the horrible attempt of making the raven home.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, I thought Night Gallery did a few nice pieces. I don't know if you've seen those.
Speaker 5: I have, but I don't remember them well enough anymore to say.
Speaker 2: They did cool air and they did the Pigman's model, and you know, for the time, I think they did a good job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do remember those being pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Anyway, Famous game designer Sandy Peterson designed a very influential role playing game called col Cuthulu, which is how most of the people I know actually became introduced to Lovecraft's work. Have you actually played those games or have you have you seen that game or looked into it at all?
Speaker 4: I played it once or twice.
Speaker 5: I know I played it once because my wife and I got together with Chris Henderson, the great detective mystery writer, and Gayan Wilson, the cartoonist and played a game of it, which Gayan then reported on in the Twilight Zone magazine, and thereafter people would have some people thought I must be great aficionado of this game.
Speaker 4: I tried. I did that time. I just do not care for that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, all honor to those who like it, but I just would rather if I'm going to be plotting stuff out of it, or rather just write it down as a story. So you're right, you know, I owe a great deal to this though, because I only did all those Chaossium anthologies because I believe it was the lake Keith Herbert came up with the idea that they had all these minions of Lovecraft gamers that wanted to know where all this stuff came from, and a lot of the fiction wasn't even in print anymore, and so we did these thematic anthologies that you want to know who yagzethav is? Okay, here's the documentation. You can study the concept from the stories that influenced it to the one's Lovecraft has it in and the ones others have done. And so it helped bring some of the gamers into the fold, and then some of them began to get into the literary side of it and dump the gaming.
Speaker 4: Interesting how it evolved.
Speaker 1: Well, Bob, he's a final question that we like to ask all of our guests. What's your favorite monster?
Speaker 4: That's tough.
Speaker 5: I guess I would probably say the Frankenstein monster. All right, A particular reason why I always striking in appearance and as a character, terrifying and sympathetic, monstrous and childlike, almost a christ figure. I love all these old movies he's in, though I love all the universal monsters, but I guess he's really the archetypal one.
Speaker 2: The alien god Cthulhu is depicted as a cephalopod head set a top of ponderous humanoid body, replete with enormous wings. Implausible, but in the context of Lovecraft's fiction, it's alien weirdness is horrifically evocative. We now talk to biologists PS Myers about the biology of actual cephalopods, and they're weird, alien but real bodies. After all, it wouldn't be monster talk if we didn't sprinkle some science on our big bowl of horror.
Speaker 3: More monsterutal.
Speaker 2: So your PS Myers, and you're famous for your blog for angula. You're famous for your atheism, but I understand that you also are an evolutionary biologist and you specialize in octopuses.
Speaker 3: Not exactly. I'm yeah, I'm interested in evolution and development. Most of my work is actually gone accorded. I work on zebrafish, but theopods are especially interesting. If that's well studied, because they represent such a radically different body plan from what we're familiar with. Yeah, so there's been this long term fascination with them.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I watch a lot of science fiction movies, and I think for expediency, people tend to create monsters that are anthropic. It's easier to put a guy in a suit if the suit looks something like a human.
Speaker 3: Bothy foreheads and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the body type of what's the right word here, I'm not sure what to call them?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So there's octopus, there's squid, there's cuttlefish. They're all cephalopods. So if you're talking about them as a group, do you say cephal pods, cephalopodia?
Speaker 3: What do you what's the right way to say that, you know, if you're podia, if you're just we're very oh, well dog, I prefer pods.
Speaker 2: But we can say cephalopods. But I want our listeners to know that we we we understand cephal is the right word. So that's cool.
Speaker 1: So, PZ, How did a person who has an interest in aquatic creatures end up in Minnesota?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm about as far from the oceans as you can possibly be but no, it's it's simple academic realities that there's there are a limited number of jobs out there for people of my persuasion. You know, weird development valages and see take them away, you can get them. And I happen to be at a very nice school, a very good school which has got a very strong student body in the kind of place they wanted to work. So even though far from the oceans, the student party makes it worthwhile.
Speaker 7: I understand you've got to go where the jobs are. Fortunately, languages everywhere.
Speaker 3: For me, well, you know, the animal I work on in the lab is the zebra fish, which you can raise in the tank anywhere, so you know, that's very im portable. And then I get to travel a lot and I get to see these stuff with thought.
Speaker 2: Did you pick zebra fish for any particular reason?
Speaker 3: I like, yeah, I did my thesis on them. This was I picked them way back in the early nineteen eighties when they were just starting to take off as an experimental animal. I was in a lab the University of Oregon which was doing research on them, and the main appeal was I'm interested in the development of the nervous system. How do you make a nervous system function all this kind of cool stuff, and we started looking for organisms that have very simple nervous systems because simple is easier. And then we realized, hey, you know, if you look at really young animals, younger you get, the smaller the nervous system is, and the more and more madule it becomes. And vibrafish just happened to develop really really rapidly, and the transparency can see right into the skull and all kinds of cool stuff like that, so it made it very easy to study the nervous system.
Speaker 2: Would you call them the fruit fly of the yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the fruit fly of the freshwater Aquarium'm sure? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So what are you doing with them? I mean, this is way off topic from uh from Cuthil, But oh well maybe not some.
Speaker 3: Topic because kind of work I do right now is try to genesis. I make monsters in the lab using various agents.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, Yeah, that's what we have. Recent guests that did the same thing with chickens.
Speaker 3: Oh and what did they use?
Speaker 2: You mean, what did they use to make the monsters?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, he just said agents. He didn't say what he was doing. He said that there were different things.
Speaker 7: They were doing, but it was classified.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's all top secrets, okay, mustard and secret herbs and spices. That is what I use in my chickens.
Speaker 3: Oh so that's that's where that new KFC sandwich came from.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's a monster. Yeah, all right, So let's talk about Cuthulla for just a moment. So in in HP Leftcraft's work, he's got this giant creature that essentially has an octopus for a head. It has somewhat anthropic body with wings. It's not really clear if if I guess it flies through space, I'm not sure. But it's really big, so big that he describes it as a mountain walk or stumbled. That's how big it is. Huge, huge, Okay, but in real life, you know, sea creatures don't get as big as that. But but octopus and squid do get pretty large. How big are these How big are they getting to these days?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I'm sure to remember some of the numbers up here. The giant octopus I can easily get up to you know, six eight foot span of tentacles, and so you find those quite common. So they're pretty good size. They can they can wrestle with a person. Giants could of course even bigger many meters long. But unfortunately, contrary to most of the their reputation, they're pretty placid animals. They're deep sea creatures. They tend to live in environments that aren't rich in resources, and so they tend to be kind of sluggish and soft and gooey tasty for a sperm oil, I'm sure, but now they're they're not quite the monsters they're made out to be.
Speaker 1: And I hear that cephalopods are the most intelligent octopi octopuses octopi what's the plural.
Speaker 3: To beginning of octopuses octopuses?
Speaker 1: I hear that they're the most intelligent of all invertebrates. So how smart are these animals? Because I've seen experiments where their opened jars to get to food.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, they can't screw driers. They can do they can remember things, you know, they will cash things around their tanks and remember where they are. They can pass very various kinds of memory tests. They recognize people, and they will respond to people and the tank. They're escape arns that get all kinds of talents. They do some spectacularly clever things. And then the surprising thing is that their brain is very tiny, not less. I don't understand yet.
Speaker 7: Is there a relationship between the size and their intelligence at all?
Speaker 3: Well, what do you mean a relationship. It's like with vertebrates, there doesn't seem to be much of a relationship. You can look at a gray whale or you can look at a human being. A gray wheel has a brain that's two or three times larger than ours. But I don't think they're as smart as we are, unless it's just that they're keeping quiet. Uh yeah, but that there's a really poor correlation there, and in particularly when you look at something like an octopus. Their brain is a small ganglion. It's basically wrapped around the esophagus, and when you look at it, it's got a relatively small number of neurons, you know, compared to ours, but you still a reasonable number. So it seems like they're doing a lot with very little impressive stuff.
Speaker 2: Wow, their brains wrapped around their esophagus.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah. Most invertebrates have a ventral nerve cord. You know, we have a dorsal nerves spinal cord that goes up and down our back. Their nervous system tends to run down the ventral side right there where the esophagus is also located, and the primary gangling is actually wrapped around, which is it's just kind of neat too. When they eat, you know, they when they chop a big chunk of something and pass it through their throat, it's actually compressing their brain a bit.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Yeah, I mean it's not that surprising. I mean, I think part of my brains in my stomach and parts of my pants based on distributed brains.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it does it affect them to eat?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 7: Does it affect thing right now?
Speaker 3: You think it would? You know, if it's you know, if you do something to put pressure on the brain, you can get responses. You know, they've kind of cognitive responses and visual hallucinations and so forth. So you know, I always imagine when when an octopus is eating, it's seeing stars. There's things flash by the throat. You don't know.
Speaker 2: They also have spectacular eyes too, don't they.
Speaker 3: They have very good eyes. Yeah, large eyes. They are very visual sorts of animals, and a lot of ways the eyes are better than ours. They're not inside out my cars are, for instance.
Speaker 2: So do they see the same way we do or is it somewhat different.
Speaker 3: It's somewhat different. I mean, the general plan of the eyeball is very similar, and they've got collections and photos of your cells just like we do. They have a retina. They have a distributed nerve net that's leaving the eyeball at the back, so there's no single optic nerve. The photo receptors are in the front instead of the back that they are in US visual processing. They've got gangling the handle a lot of the brain power of figuring out what the visual world is saying. That's separate from the subosophage gangling for instance. So yeah, they're fairly sophisticated with their eyes.
Speaker 2: A lot of them change colors. Is it safe to assume they can also see color?
Speaker 3: Yes, they can. So they've got lots of other photo receptors. They're very good color vision. Well, you know, I should say if a good color vision for them. The often which you find is color vision in the quantic animals is tuned for the environment because you know, the water filters light in particular ways. You find it's a different distribution of photo receptors than you would in US.
Speaker 2: Do they see in the same spectrum as we do. Or is it shifted or do you.
Speaker 3: Know, I'm not sure. It's probably shifted a little bit, but not much. That that four hundred eight hundred animeter range that we use is pretty universal.
Speaker 2: Now, did they start off in the water from an evolutionary perspective or oh.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, just like we did. Yeah what Yeah, all animals started out, you know, their their distant ancestors all evolved in the ocean many hundreds of millions of years ago. So yeah, they arose from creatures that were probably more slug like most of what we regard as unique to the cephal apros and all that that big rough of tentacles and so forth, all is a modified foot. But you have to kind of imagine a slug and just the base of that slug gets expanded and branches into tentacles and and that becomes the tentacle headed the end of the animal. And then that big head did you see back there, that's actually not that's actually not a head. That's that's a big bag of guts. That's what it's abdomen and some testines and all that kind of stuff. We're looking.
Speaker 7: Wow, the creationists don't want to hear that.
Speaker 3: Christians don't want.
Speaker 2: I don't think I want to do.
Speaker 3: Well. Have you ever cleaned them? I mean if you work with squider octopus for dinner sometimes and you get to clean them. Uh that that big head part, the mantle part is is basically a bag of guts and you just have to skip everything out of there total.
Speaker 2: Well, so do you do you eat the what is that called the mantles?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I know that, I think as the head of the square is called. I think it's called the mantle. But uh, yeah, do you you eat that part too?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 2: I thought it was just the legs we were eating.
Speaker 3: You know, it's rings And what that is is the mantle, which is a hollow tube which has been sliced up into Okay, do you wait them?
Speaker 2: Do I eat?
Speaker 3: I sure? I love them delicious.
Speaker 2: They're great breaded with salt and pepper. I think that's a deep fried. But we fry everything in the South. You know, they they sell fried pickles down here, and they sell everythings fried, So yeah, I know, sweet tea and fried pickles. What's the relationship between the squid, the octopus and the cuttlefish? Is one of them more like a recent development than the others or they just kind of brent, I mean, what what drove those evolutionary changes? Do you think?
Speaker 3: Oh, well, they have different lifestyles for what I mean an octopus from most octopus are pentic animals that think they live at the bottom. They so they clean to the shores. They live in the in the bottom of the rocks and the weeds and things like that. Squid tend to be deep water apologic and they're they're specialized for something. There are variations. There's some some squid that that hover down in the bottom and digging the sand for food. But yeah, basically there was a big split many hundreds of millions of years ago, largely into the eight armed octopuses and the ten armed squid. The ten arm condition is primitive and so octopus are derived there. They're the specialized form of ROAs later, so.
Speaker 2: Do the do the really large squid and giant octopuses do they use ink?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a very common trait that they have.
Speaker 2: I understand that some versions. I guess even one of the most toxic animals in the world is actually an octopus. I think it's the blue ring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but their skin contains phrase toxins and particular neurotoxin. That's why they're so lethal to go. They go right to your nervous system and fry things.
Speaker 2: So is that but is that normal for octopus or is that just specialized for that one species.
Speaker 3: It's fairly common manan Veribu's actually lots of them prediciss you know, for instance, to true to toxin, which is a common nerve poison that they make. It's rare for them to make it in such large volumes that the animal itself is entirely toxic. There are a number of sopple pods though, that secrete quantities of these poisons right around the beak, so they bite you. It can be quite painful. It can actually poison you that way. Many of them just trust in the fact that there's all kinds of filthy bacteria you're working there, and they can essentially do sepsis and their targets by biting into them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we have those in Australia.
Speaker 1: I've seen them on the beach along with hypodermic needles and condoms.
Speaker 2: I had so that they have a drug problem.
Speaker 1: I've seen them on the sands and blue bottles and things so well.
Speaker 2: At least they're using safe sex. That's the important. Australias has like a dangerous place. I don't I'm not so sure I want.
Speaker 3: To go there.
Speaker 1: It's like your animals scam as well, so do you they?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 1: Mountain lions and bears are always saying lions and tigers and bears.
Speaker 7: Tree alligators.
Speaker 2: Tree alligators are real frat but not so much in Colorado.
Speaker 7: I still haven't seen one. Yeah, I don't know why.
Speaker 2: You're not looking up. So what's the fossil record like for these creatures. It doesn't seem like much would be around.
Speaker 3: It's not great because of course their soft body there's there's really looking very preserved. But no, they found some specimens that are hundreds and millions of years old. They're rare. You could have a really good preservation to protect something that's alf bodied from immediate decay. But yeah, there's a few. There's a few really cool spossors that have been discovered to show all the octopuss, for instance, haven't changed that much in a couple hundred million years.
Speaker 2: So they survive the KT extinction. Interesting.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yeah, well they're they're aquatic and in general, invertebrates are so profligate in producing offspring that they're really good at surviving these sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Going going back to eating these creatures, I was told that the giant squid have too much ammonia in them to be edible. Why is that?
Speaker 3: Oh, many of the squid that live in mid water, that do all the covered deep in the water, they use ammonia pre buoyancy ecc tissues to give them a neutral whin. Yeah, because it's it's lighter than water. Oh, that's basically the strategy they're following. Uh. So, yeah, they're they're kind of an edible unless you soak them for a long time, and even then, by that time there mush who wants to eat that?
Speaker 2: So why do you think so many people are frightened of these tentacled animals?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's it's the weirdness of them. It's that they look so unusual and different that, for instance, where is the face of an octopus?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You. Yeah, we're so used to looking at creatures, whether you know, whether it's a dog or a tiger or a bear or whatever whatever you're afraid of, but at least you can see a face. You can see there's eyes, there's a nose, there's a mouth, and we can we can trick them into a mental model. That's what animals should look like, something like a squid. You don't you can look into it and gives you two eyes there. Then below that, uh, there's this confusing mass of technacles just branching everywhere. And I'm sure that's one of the reasons Lovecraft sort of seized on that imagery for his Risk Food is it's it's so different than what we expect. It looks pathologically weird.
Speaker 7: And probably because of the toxicity of these creatures too.
Speaker 2: Well I didn't even know about that really, but that's just me.
Speaker 7: But well that's coming from about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but everything is toxic.
Speaker 7: And including.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 3: The uh yeah, I think it's just the visual impact of the animal that it's it's the creature that's just organized so differently from the way we are that that you get confused, you get baffled and looking at and that's that's one of the things that that Lovecraft really tried to get across his in his crazy writings is the idea of things that you cannot grasp that you look at, you see and they drive you bad because they're so different from everything they used to And I think a cephalopod fits that category pretty well.
Speaker 2: I think so too at least one more question, what is your fascination with them? I guess you've got them as your wallpaper on forringula.
Speaker 3: Well, as I mentioned earlier on, they have such a very different body planning from us. Yeah. That One of the things I'm always interested in my own work is how do you lay out the blueprint of an animal? Invertebrates, We've got a good idea that, for instance, are these things called hawks chains that are expressed early on, and they sort of stake out the foundation in the animal. They say, this is the front end, this is the back end, this is the stuff in the middle. And when you look at a cephalopod, it breaks all the rules. It's not a simple linear organism and whatsype kind of radio organization of tentacles. So I'm really curious to know how exactly in a molecular sense do they set up that pattern. What kind of genes are they using to do this sort of stuff. We know some of the answers. We know that they are using the hawks genes, the same hawks genes that we use to set up padding along the launch studios. They're using in a weird combinatorial scheme to set up the identities of each tentacle.
Speaker 2: So can you make tentacles grow in different places if you change the genes around?
Speaker 3: Well, theoretically, yeah, they've they've worked out the sort of hawk's code for a tentacle, so you know, you know which hawks genes are turned on for which tentacle. And if if cephalopods were better experimental animals from elecular biology, and they aren't, they're really hard to raise, then theoretically, yeah, we could go in there. We could do something ring and every once a cephal part will wash up that is strange different and it looks like it's a mute into some sort and usually the dead so haven't survived. For instance, it was one a couple of years ago. It was really exciting because it actually bifurcating tentacles. Wow, technical branch and branch and branch. So we know there's also interesting stuff going on in the regulation of the growth.
Speaker 7: But that's the cause of that. When that happens, we don't know.
Speaker 3: That. That's what kind of need about it. You know, in vertebrates, we know how you regulate the branching pattern that we get a hand, you know, but plumbing their fingers and again it's hawks jeans switching on in particular patterns, and it means, you know, this is just a one off sort of thing, an odd specimen that washed up. We suspect it's probably something similar, but there's mis expression of certain genes that regulate these patterned expressions. We won't have it as ex primal animal, so we can through the experiments. It's it's kind of frustrating.
Speaker 2: Wow, but cool, but yeah, very cool. Yeah, so you know, it's kind of funny because not like ha ha funny, but you know, we talked to doctor Marcus Davis, who's at my local university in Kinnesaw, and he was talking about some of the things they can do and what controls there are for making, you know, genetic manipulation. And I'm torn, you know, as a as a layperson because you know, on the one hand, I understand you don't want to be cruel to the animals, but on the other hand, you know, making an octopus with twenty four tentacles sounds cool.
Speaker 7: You know, what are the implications for human rights.
Speaker 2: When can I have tentacles? Exactly, Karen, thank you enough people.
Speaker 7: Ask me that's what you were thinking.
Speaker 3: It's also just a way to look into the fundamental aspects of organization of the matter, how does life get to be this way? And so do these kind of experiments are essential for understanding what's going on there. Like I said, you know, we've got these little examples like that that octopus of the bifurcating tentacles, and it's so per prolocative. You know how that worked. I'm wondering what are the rules for branching in a tentacle? I mean, really for you that you gotta do experiments. I'm sorry, Yeah, you know it's still it's still a little worse than chopping them up.
Speaker 2: And well that that was my thought exactly. I mean, nothing personal against the chickens, but although you have to have these ethical sign offs for for doing the experiments, I can go to KFC and get by you know, chicken on a chicken you know, g Center or whatever.
Speaker 8: Right, So yeah, and these experiments you can do in far more humane ways than even farming takes care of animals because we're not interested in cause them harm.
Speaker 3: We're not not interested so much in ripping them the pieces and putting their flesh on the plate to need it. So we can do things like very carefully and at the times monitor we euthanize if there's any sign of stressed. So yeah, we most scientists are pretty dark ethical about this sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, we have a sort of a mandatory question we ask all of our guests, and that is what is your favorite monster?
Speaker 3: Oh well, gee, uh, many of them like a clog because anything you want it to be.
Speaker 2: I mean, the last one we had.
Speaker 7: With Yeah, I just wanted to say that, you know that.
Speaker 3: I hate to say it because I don't think it really is a monster. But the Empire Tufis is pretty dark cool.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, the Empire toothis for analysis. Is it's a deep water squiz wicked cool. Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's very creepy looking this way down the darkness. Uh, it's got these these tentacles that are bridged buy by webbing and so forth, and it's you have to see pictures in this shoot.
Speaker 2: I'll shoot here in a picture. We'll put a picture in the show.
Speaker 7: Notes yeah, it sounds monstrous.
Speaker 3: They don't have islands instead of the skin around you, I just kind of irises shut around them. Well, and it's bizarre to see it. It's it's just again so alien looking to see that.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for spending some time with us today, PZ. I appreciate it. Monster Thanks for listening to this special literary edition of Monster Talk. I enjoy putting the show together, and if you enjoy listening to it, let us know. Today we heard about American cosmic horror writer HP Lovecraft. Our guests were Robert M. Price and PZ Myers, your host for myself, Blake Smith, Ben Radford, and doctor Karen Stoles. Now, as I put this show together, I had envision in reviewing St. Joshi, the biographer of Lovecraft we mentioned during the show. However, Bob Price effectively conducted the exact interview I wanted over at point of inquiry. So as an adjunct to this episode, I suggest you check it out. A link is in our show notes. Also, while I was putting this together, a paper was published on the evolutionary basis for cephalopod pseudopods. The CB show Quirks and Quirks did an excellent interview with the PHT candidate Martin Smith on his findings. It's a great interview and I've put that link in the show notes. Monster Talk is produced with the assistance of Skeptic Magazine. When the stars are right, Cathula will rise and destroy us all. In the meantime, why not relax and enjoy an ice riada Skeptic, you might gain one dye ten sanity. No promises on that. Music for today's episode included Monster Talk's theme by Peach Stealing Monkeys one thousand PSI Ar Morgan, and now, by special permission, a snippet of a most excellent song by the Even Brooks Band. Hey There, Call, Hey there, Cthulhu.
Speaker 9: Down there in your sunken city, your abillion like years distant, and the stars look very pretty from relay, So close sandy, yet so far away?
Speaker 3: E e a.
Speaker 9: Kulou photoggin or is that culoupha tine? I can never quite remember because I'm not in my right mind. Since I met you. No one corrupts the way you do. You know it's true. Oh it's what you'll do to me yo and null humanity. Oh you'll rise up from the sea, kill everyone slowly, except the ones like.
Speaker 10: Me hungry for more skepticism. Want to learn the truth about the scientific controversies of our time, then subscribe to Skeptic, the quarterly magazine Stephen J. Gould called the best journal in the field. To subscribe, visit skeptic dot com today