Speaker 1: See the problem with this bump is you can't step over it. You have to let it play. Did you pick this, Chris? This is James Penn approved.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, a little Phil Collins on a Wednesday afternoon, Chris Camaradie live in STUDIOK happy Wednesday.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good man. How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? You look a little weathered.
Speaker 3: It's been it's been a while since I've been in studios. We had we had kind of had a gap where everybody was going every which way the last month or so. Indeed, I thank.
Speaker 2: You, but I'm gonna get there. I'm gonna get there. I was out of town. We had big twelve media days. Then I did the Portland thing, Love Portland, and then officiated the wedding.
Speaker 1: You have been well.
Speaker 2: Last time we had you on the show, you were starting the eight day journey of keeping a young person alive by yourself, which is why maybe the sleep pattern has been a little disrupted. So now that you've been a single father for eight days, what sort of lessons can you bestow upon the people?
Speaker 3: Well, if you when in doubt, if you are feeling like the world is crushing you at the moment. Remember that we have the luxury of for the most part, this thing called streaming, and if you need to breather, turn on some very annoying cartoon, which I tried not to do, but there were times where you just needed to do the the woosaw, you know, and just relax, walk away and never have You can never have too many bars or snacks, fruit bars, Z bar, kids z bars, you know, the breakfast bars. It goes a very long way, so bars and television.
Speaker 1: Basically Amanda has arrived home, so you have been rescued. Yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 2: A different I can remember the first time I had solo duty when Connor was about Leo's age. There's some anxiety, you know, like there's like, okay, we got we gotta make sure this goes well. I always get a kick out of, you know, because you reference the screens yep, and look, it's just inevitable. Every parent uses it and the only people that complain about it are people without children.
Speaker 1: I always got a kick out of like I was.
Speaker 2: I think I was the first person in my friend group to become a parent, And I always get a kick out of, like advice I would get for my single friends that have never had children. It's like, you don't know, so cut it out. So the people that clutch their pearls over screens simply do not have children.
Speaker 3: I was. I mean, the most humbling life experience, without a doubt, is becoming a parent, one hundred percent on a multitude of levels. And I had all of my preconceived notions squashed into the ground, like the bottom of a you know, a shoe at a rusted root concert, like just going boom squishing a bug. I guess they would they wouldn't squish.
Speaker 2: And there are no shoes allowed. Yeah, sorry, we're all in bare feet.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll just go something more basic like pearl jam. So, yes, there was once upon a time that was me. And then, of course you you get thrust into it and then you realize, oh, I just have to make sure that I can get through the day, and maybe not even the day at the next hour, right, maybe not even the next hour, the next ten minutes.
Speaker 1: It's moment by moment at times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now there's this great Louis Louis c K bid saw Louis c K and Ogett called, oh so you didn't end up phenomenal? I know that we've got to be like, hey, the stuff he did isn't okay. All right, He's still very funny. Yeah, but he has this great bid where it's like, yeah, before you become a parent, you're like, I will show my child the wonders of the world and we will always be doing. And then you become a parent, You're like, oh my gosh, how do I keep it alive? Like that's that's the day to day goal, to make sure you're not.
Speaker 1: Screwed it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, breakfast parts and television.
Speaker 1: I'm happy for you, and I'm proud of you. Thank you.
Speaker 2: And the weather thing was a bit. I just know you're coming off the eight day stretch where you had to, you know, kind of hang out with Leo and make sure everything went well. So welcome home, Amanda. Glad you survived, all right, c K. Tomorrow is the opening of the summer transfer window in the world of Major League Soccer.
Speaker 1: We'll get to some college football. Everybody. It's okay.
Speaker 3: The Score Act. Please don't ask me, because I have no idea.
Speaker 2: You don't want to talk about the Score Act. You want to talk about collective collective bargaining and unionizing and such. All right, that is stuck in Washington. It is probably not going to go through. Matt Brown joined us. Last segment we covered all that we're gonna do, thank you. So it's been interesting. Pablo a couple weeks ago, hops on the show. He's like, we're going to sign for four players, so we're expecting four players. Kurt's a little more tempered, Jason's like everybody's dad. It's hard to exactly understand exactly how this is going to go.
Speaker 1: What are you expecting once the window opens?
Speaker 2: Multiple players, what positions, and what do you think it means for RSL?
Speaker 3: So, based on reports internationally and based off what I've been told, rsel's planning on bringing in two number nine one out and out number nine old school throwback center forward yep, doesn't necessarily need to beat guys one on one, but is there for uh service from the wide area. Indeed, Alex Catron swingers exactly. And then another guy, Ruwan Cruz who's been at Botafogo, a club that RSL is too familiar with because they moved for since Avarino there and then your guy uh Elias what was it Ilias manuel Man, Yeah, ended up going there after saying he didn't want to come here. So it sounds like those two are either done or close to being done. And then if that's the case, it's a fascinating decision because clearly that means that the club is not satisfied with what your guy, and you have many guys, Big Willie goals, Big Willy goals has been has been able to to add to the mix. I think he has two goals to okay, but he has the ability to hold up he does but this, but this, but this new guy apparently who I think you pronounced his name last week correctly, Victor Olatunji. Yeah, yeah, younger twenty five years old, had a decent year at Sparta Prague, which is, you know, one of the better lower level clubs at a lower level in Europe. But yeah, it's an interesting move. I wonder if it changes how Pablo wants to play. I wonder if one of those guys will be more tactfully tactically sorry ambiguous, meaning like they can play different spots or or if you know, Pablo has to change formation. Basically, they're not They're not a good offensive team. They haven't been all year. Their best offensive player was gone for five weeks and they as we saw last week against Cincinnati, they were the better team against one of the better teams in MLS, but they weren't able to score any goals.
Speaker 2: So go ahead, No, No, I was gonna say, I'm just looking for this secondary story because we talked about the old Tony kid.
Speaker 1: Is the only Tunji kid the true strike? Yes, oh he is? Yeah, okay, yep.
Speaker 2: So what I was going to say is, yesterday on the show, Pablo referred to the two attacking players as a nine and a nine and a half.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so yeah, there's your there's your there's your tactical, ambiguous player who can probably step in on the wing or play the ten. Because I think while a lot of people have fallen in love with the idea that Diego is a ten, I think he is another guy that can just float because of the amount of hard work rate that he puts in nice you know, track back on defense exactly, and Diego Gonzalbez, outside of his winner against Portland just hasn't cut it. Last week, he was very bad. He brought a lot of promising attacking plays to a screeching hall against Cincinnati. Yes, by you know, due to his indecision. So yeah, and nine and nine and a half makes sense. But you know, oursel once again is banking on the summer transfer window in order to put wind in their sales. And I think that's a very dubious ass considering international players who come over in the summer do not exactly hit the ground running in this league. We talked about that ad nausea.
Speaker 2: And we've seen it here. Yeah, like multiple times. The Mark Souit stuff is weird.
Speaker 3: Man, Like, they bet on a bunch of guys after the sale of Andrescomaz. They didn't pan out. I mean, it's it's a bunch of swings and misses.
Speaker 1: But I did feel like there were moments with There.
Speaker 3: Were moments, Yeah, but it hasn't been for a very long time.
Speaker 2: No, And Jason, when I get honest, Jay, excuse me, when I get honest, Jason's it's a good time. He essentially said he's been horrible since he came back from Poland.
Speaker 1: I wonder if it's homesickness.
Speaker 2: It's just another example of a guy that signed in a summer window and you're like, wait a second, he's got some stuff and it just hasn't panned.
Speaker 3: Out, hasn't panned out. Yeah, Diogo, Lachlan Brook your guy, you gotta I'll take I'll take Lachlan, my guy, Lachlan Brook, who I would imagine it's not long for RSL on the crest of the shirt. And Dominic Marxi, who they believed the cell of originally was. Look what we just did with Andres. This can be your path and conceivably it works if you're able to I don't know, put everything that you're asked to put in training sessions and style of play into into into purpose. But we know that it took Andres over a year with Pablo to to have everything click. But not every player has the pace that Andres has, or like the finishing ability he was, you know, one of the top assist makers in the league last year before he moved. So three swings and misses last summer on the wake of in the wake of Andres sales, So now you have to wonder you're bringing in two guys from from overseas. Can they step in and alleviate the pressure from Diego Luna because outside of Diego there just isn't much and Xavier Gozo it's been good, but he's you watch him, he's still a very young kid. You can still tell that he's maybe trying to do it all on his own way too often, which you know is part of the learning curve. Diego was like that a few years ago, which is why you know fans were up up in arms because you know, they were mad that Pablo was starting. I can't even remember guys that weren't that aren't even on the team anymore. Over over Diego, and you know, it takes some time. So if if RSL can find a way to get these guys in the mix, understanding how Pablo wants to play and acclimate it quickly, then they have a chance. But like you asked me last week, if if you know that that decent run of form, the four games, unbeaten or whatever has me changing my thoughts about the ceiling of this team. The Cincinnati game was kind of a perfect encapsulation of of who the team is this year.
Speaker 1: Pablo.
Speaker 2: Also, I'm trying, I'm trying to think because you brought up Pablo not starting Diego because there was chi Cho, there was Andres, there was Matt Crooks, and then there was a spot that Diego did fill, but it wasn't consistent. Pablo also referenced the potential of adding to the back line, which I thought was interesting because defensively they have been pretty stout. Rafa has been the best player probably outside of Diego on the roster.
Speaker 1: So if if if we say.
Speaker 2: They're bringing in the nine, the nine and a half, we'll use my guy, Pobs, he's my guy.
Speaker 1: We'll use his language.
Speaker 2: Uh, And then they're gonna make an addition to the back line. Let's say it's three editions. What do you think that total spend will be? Because we talked about this yesterday, I think the Millers have an opportunity to really gain some brownie points with the fan base that is understandably skeptical, skeptical about ownership and their unwillingness to spend. For all the promises of the Blitzer Smith group, they didn't spend. You know, they did a little here or there, but then they ended up selling for a premium and didn't reinvest the money into the team.
Speaker 1: And I don't think that sits well with fans.
Speaker 2: So what do you think the spend looks like and what do you think the Millers could do during this window to maybe endear themselves to RSL fans that are waiting.
Speaker 3: Right it looks to be on the surface right now, pretty similar to standard RSL spending practices reports out of Europe. Is you know two and a half I think for all atun Gi. I don't know if our guy Tommy Scoops has has been able to confirm that or not.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen anything, but that is kind.
Speaker 3: Of on part with what RSEL you know buys players for like I think Mark Zuk was one five Ish Diogo was three, I think, and you know when you get for the for the cruise guy coming from Boda Fogo, it's a little different because the loan option you don't really have to pay all that much, but then you can loan with an intent to potentially buy, so they'll they'll get a player on loan and then Botafogo his club will say if you like him enough, this is our price point, and if you want to buy him at the end of his loan spell, this is how much you have to pay Now. I would imagine that will be much higher because of you know, Botafogo is one of the best teams in Brazil. This kid, by all accounts, has promise young player, big stout guy. But if they bring in the third player, I would imagine it could be within the league, maybe through a trade mechanism or if they are going to add a right back or whatever. You're not going to necessarily break the bank at that position. But all in all, if you're if you're talking about money spent, I would be stunned if oursel goes over five million this summer transfer window total?
Speaker 1: Is it Rwan Cruise?
Speaker 3: I believe It'swan Cruiser.
Speaker 2: Okay, our guy Tommy has nothing on it, but I have some info on him in front of me. Yeah, big kid twenty four and I think the old Atanja kid is twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So Jason and Kurt and Pablo have been pretty consistent that they're not looking for some quick fix. They want to add to the group that could essentially grow together because it is a young core.
Speaker 1: I guess these moves would indicate that that's the direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's again, it's it's asking a lot, and I would argue too much for two brand new players and to come in to gel with guys that they've never met, to play in a new country that they've never met, to get on those you know flights and fly all over the country and get used to the the the weather conditions and all those various dynamics that you face here versus everywhere. I guess Brazil, you're you're you're hauling quite a bit. It's a huge country. But like my point is is that more often than not, you need all types of international players to be in if you're going to bring them in in the in the true off season in order for them to have a full off season with the team. But that doesn't always work out, as we've seen in previous years. Sometimes you just kind of have to take take what you get. But yeah, oursel is they're put they're putting their chips in on the attack, which they knew that they had to do, so time will tell if it pays off.
Speaker 1: What was your highlight from the MLS Skills Challenge last night? What was your favorite moment?
Speaker 3: Oh, Diego hitting, hitting the hitting the targets.
Speaker 1: Did you watch it?
Speaker 3: I saw a clip on the internet.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch it.
Speaker 3: No, No, Messy though, MESSI was like, I'm not doing this and.
Speaker 1: He's not playing tonight either. I mean, I guess, very.
Speaker 3: Very you don't blame him, but it's hilarious that this dude, basically and we knew this was going to be the case. He gets to call his own shots like at a level that no other professional player maybe in the history of sports, has been able to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know this is a false equivalency, but I do harken back to the Beckham experiment. Shout out ground Wall, Rest in Peace ye great book, by the way, yep. And I was tremendously impressed at how much Beckham got it. He knew why he was there, right, and so he showed up wherever they asked him to show up.
Speaker 1: He showed up.
Speaker 2: You're playing in the All Star Game, you're making this road trip. And did he get hurt?
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 2: But and again I know it's a false equivalency because Beckham is not messy, because nobody's messy. But you think MLS is recouping what they hoped to recoup based off of the investment.
Speaker 3: That's a great question, I wonder, And this will come out probably in the coming years, like what the Apple deal really was able to accomplish, if, if anything at all.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't think the returns have been great.
Speaker 3: I don't. By all accounts, probably not. But the reality is is you're able to sign the best player of all time and bring him in. But we talk about this, We talked about this damn topic all the time. Is soccer going to change in this country because of A B C or D? No, it's not. It's awesome. If Messi came here, you and I would be like, how do we get on the train and go to aff and maybe go get some Costa Vita and you know, enjoy the night question. Yeah that's right, Yeah, yeah, I like it. But it's outside of him making a few appearances on PTI every once in a while. Like it just it. It was awesome. It is awesome, But it's not. It's not going to ever it's going to pale in comparison to what Beckham did. I think, just because where the league was at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Beckham's continued investment in the league and continued involvement in the league and desire to spend time here.
Speaker 1: It it really was.
Speaker 2: As much as the Beckham thing could have worked as a game changer, it actually did. I don't know that the league could have milked anything else out of that whole situation because he was such an ambassador and he was so nice. It was the wildest thing to talk to David Beckham, this global superstar, global celebrity.
Speaker 1: His celebrity at the time may have out taste his soccer So handsome, good looking dude.
Speaker 2: Yep, weird, high pitched voice, but so nice like when he when we had him here, every time he was here, he could not have been better the league really better.
Speaker 3: Fact, I told you my story right about at the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and ic these stores by the.
Speaker 3: Way, shout out Virgin Megastore at the Gateway for sure. Great great location. I mean, the Gateways making a comeback a little bit, is it. I'm gonna give it. I'm gonna give it to too. They got a cool little food cord down there. But yeah, me and David Beckham the only people in the Virgin Megastore on like a Tuesday and just me just being like hey man, and he was like, hey, how's it going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, cool, No, that's rad.
Speaker 2: The kids will never understand the era in life where you heard one good song and then had to go pay seventeen ninety nine for a CD. It mostly sucked that Sadur of Born good song. Spotify would have saved me so much money.
Speaker 3: That's a good way. That's a good point. We should rank our top five underwhelming album purchases of all time next week. I will come back. That's a good one.
Speaker 1: I'll have to think about that one.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. We can even put in a little breakout graphic. Top five, you know, top five spans top five. Chris, I like it. Let's do top Let's do it on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I I have one answer right off the top of my head. Okay, I was in high school and h driving home basketball practice. I believe and hold my hand from Hooty and the Blowfish came on the radio. Don't look at me that way. I'm being vulnerable and honest here, my guy. I'm like, I like this song. I'm gonna go buy a Hoodie in the Blowfish CD.
Speaker 1: And it sucked. It was a bad, bad move.
Speaker 3: Is Hoody and the Blowfish the worst jam band of the nineties?
Speaker 1: Don't call them a jam band, please, They're not.
Speaker 3: How about the most the biggest failed attempt at a jam?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's yeah, that's accurate. String cheese incident maybe on the list as well. See this is what you do now, it's all I'm thinking about the top five most underwhelming albums of all time.
Speaker 1: All right, final RSL thing.
Speaker 2: We'll do some college football coming up on the other side, because you reference, you know, last year summer transfer window, three pretty big swings and three pretty big misses. And maybe, like we have to be fair, Diego has been better. But he could not have been worse. Like if it was worse, he probably already would be on his way somewhere else.
Speaker 1: See, that's how bad it was for a while.
Speaker 3: Or they can't get anybody to take him.
Speaker 1: Also a possibility.
Speaker 2: Do you think it deserves a little more credit for the I think it was three years, four years on the job as the g.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean we listen. He was there when they were basically being run by the league during the Deloitte fiasco. He facilitated bringing in guys like even though he would eventually become a locker room headache, like Sinceavno is one of the most talented players that's ever played. For sure, like I think right now, I know, I know your guy Jason is all about vibes in the crest. RSL would take a Sava Reno, right now like, it's not, there's no question so and I know they had a pass with him because he left, then came back and left again. But yes, Elliott deserves some flowers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the results bear it out. And we'll see what this new window brings the club. Right now, they're still on the outside looking in, but have a chance to make the postseason.
Speaker 1: If you can make the playoffs, you never know what could happen.
Speaker 2: Getting weird on a Wednesday with little George Michael. I don't hate it, Chris Camaraddi live in studio, any motivations with you landing on this George Michael track and you're talking to a George Michael fan.
Speaker 1: I don't apologize.
Speaker 3: You asked for eighties music. It's a good one, it is, and it is part of lots of silly, bad nineties comedy movies. The first one that comes to mind this night at the Roxberry, the Roxbury, Like, yeah, it's it's and it's a good I mean, it works.
Speaker 2: I don't have to tell you this, Chris, but we are thirty eight days away from kickoff from the top Fall.
Speaker 3: Where did the summer a go? I'm depressed?
Speaker 2: I know, man, we blink and it's here. We still have a good few months of warm No, yeah, for.
Speaker 3: Sure, but there's I don't know. The summer I feel like is getting shorter as we get older.
Speaker 1: That's fair, okay, But you're going to be on assignment soon.
Speaker 2: Any exciting athletic college football endeavorage you'd like to inform us about.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I'm going to be going to the air Lingis Classic or whatever it's called in Dublin, Ireland for week zero of college football Iowa State Kansas State, which is known in some circles as the Pharmageddon Rivalry never been. My assignment is to go over and figure out how college football is landing in the homeland, even though I might not look like it. I'm fifty percent Irish.
Speaker 1: Are Irish?
Speaker 3: Yeah okay, yeah, so might have to go find my ancestry somewhere. I'll get to be there for I mean, it's cool, but it's also like going international for three and a half days. My brain and body will be not in a great place.
Speaker 1: Takes a minute to recalibrate, correct.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's that's on the horizon. So yeah, you talked about thirty eight days. So Utah kicks off I'm going to be on a flight across the pond much earlier than that.
Speaker 2: That sounds exciting. I have an aunt who is very adapted geneology. If you get me to put you in.
Speaker 3: Touch with her, is does she work for the company they got hacked?
Speaker 1: I don't believe.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: I feel like every extended LDS family has one or two family members that just crush genealogy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you have one? I don't, but maybe I'll get your aunt's contact info.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you put you in touch with the folk who you need to go say hello?
Speaker 3: Do they find them?
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: See, like that's where I'm I understand the internet is awesome but also dark and scary. Indeed, how do you I guess I'll just have to entrust him. I mean, there is that one show where they have the celebrities on and they like they track their their ancestry, and it's been like, you know, they get celebrities on and do all that thing. But I just don't know, like, who's trying to care about me? But maybe the internet does.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. I honestly don't know the method behind the madness. But my aunt is insanely organized. Like every year at our reunion we do the thing.
Speaker 3: She based in Utah.
Speaker 2: She lives in Arizona, now okay, but she rolls up for the family reunion.
Speaker 1: Then we sit down and.
Speaker 3: We learn about I Will thank You.
Speaker 2: Are you as obsessed with this astronomer ceo cold Play story as I?
Speaker 3: Admittedly when I was in the throes of parenthood solo last week, I missed it originally, but I finally caught on and very funny. Apparently RCEL had a pretty good fangag did at their expense last week Listen man can't get caught Slipping and Chris Martin, I don't know. I don't know if if if if he had a if there's a vendetta in play here, or if he just saw somebody who looked really happy and was like, I'm happy for those guys, But I don't.
Speaker 2: Know that there was anything militious behind it looked like a lovely couple experiencing a Coldplay concert.
Speaker 3: For about point five seconds.
Speaker 2: There's so many incredible angles here, like the fact that the woman is the head of HR for the company just makes it. Yes, shout out John Paul Chef's kiss unless I've missed something because the other thing there was like a statement that was going around that turned out to be fake that the Astronomer CEO apparently released, but then it wasn't his statement, So I don't really know what the latest is. Apparently he's been fired. The board got together and was like, this is a bad look. My favorite part is the woman's husband has said nothing. I'm just kind of obsessed with this dude, Like I wonder if it's like a get out of jail free card for him, if he's like free last, free last.
Speaker 3: Or if he's like can I get free Coldplay tickets out of this?
Speaker 2: They're gonna get paid. The CEO's wife, she's gonna make some cash. Never heard is it astronomer astronomer?
Speaker 3: What is the company?
Speaker 2: I don't know see is this good for that company? In the day and age where currency is attention? Is it actually something that will benefit the company?
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe a blip, but I want to say it's like an AI thing, but maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: The whole thing is just I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's sad in a way but also very comical in a way that that's how they were out it. I do not have a stomach for cheaters. But you know, anyway back to college football. So speaking of cheatings, yeah, talk about a segue where we go back to college football. We are right around the corner Big ten Media Days right now in Vegas at Mandalay Bay. Were you asked to go to any media days? You were not assigned any negative How do you get out of that stuff? Very carefully, I truly would like to know how you get out of this.
Speaker 3: Well, Luckily, our staff size is pretty decent, and I work with people who are a lot more famous in the world of college football reporting, and they know if they put me out there, I'm just going to draw some much attention to myself, you know.
Speaker 1: Because that's how you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, at Big twelve Media Days, there was a room allocated to the athletic Yeah.
Speaker 3: And Feldman, Yeah, Bruce was there, David Eban was there, Justin Williams was there. Chris Vanini, who is my guy, and for a multitude of reasons he for some reason, people at our company and readers confuse us all the time because of the slight similarities between the sounding of our last name, Camrodnie Vanini. So like, there's been multiple times where people have like sent me a slack and be like, hey, I have a question about your story. It's like, Nope, not me.
Speaker 1: It's Chris Interesting.
Speaker 3: So he's my Italian brother.
Speaker 2: Well let's get him on the show because I read what Chris so today. Matt Baker, you know, Matt.
Speaker 3: Good friend of the Good Friend of the program, a genius when it comes to open records requests, and just a very very good reporter. He was hired in the last year and he's been a terrific ad.
Speaker 1: So really interesting piece today.
Speaker 2: Actually, I guess it came out yesterday because Sean was talking about it on his show. Because you know, this is the time of year where you start to read the college football previews, you start to listen to the college football pods, and you start to get ready for the season.
Speaker 1: And I'm always reminded how many idiots cover the sport and how many.
Speaker 3: Like idiots cover all sports.
Speaker 2: True, but I'm always reminded when I dig back in, like this media ecosystem actually contains a lot of people that clearly are pandering to the conference they cover or the school they cover, and their fans are not media members, and there's this kind of landscape of Big twelve media. That's starting to feel like the way PAC twelve media felt at the very end. Like John Canzano came on the show and he was basically outlining his side of things, and it was draped in this belief that the PAC twelve was going to make it, because of course he covers the PAC twelve. He wants the conference to survive. It's better for him, him and his business and his substack or whatever he's doing. And I push back on the things that he was bringing to the table because I just disagree with him. He started yelling at me that I wasn't listening. I'm like, I'm listening, but you're wrong. This thing is done. It's dead. You could tell with all of the horrible decision making that went back all the way to Larry Scott. And look the first four or five years of Utah on the PAC twelve. Larry Scott walked on water here because he was the commissioner that was part of the decision making process that landed Utah on the Big twelve. And then of course George klaiofkof they wait way too long to go to market with their rights. We know the deal and Gonzano's like yelling at me that I'm not listening to him. I'm like, I am listening to You're just wrong.
Speaker 1: This thing is cooked.
Speaker 2: And I keep hearing this like Big twelve media approach to try to spin it like the Big twelve was on par with a Big ten in the SEC, which it is not in any way, shape or form. Not competitive, not on a competitive level, not on a reven generating level, not on a national interest level. There's no world where the Big twelve is even close to the Big ten of the SEC. And Matt today with a really interesting exercise NCAA FBS program valuation projections, I r.
Speaker 3: Tied that for you. Thank you, I seriously did. I thought like this would be good for Spence.
Speaker 2: Well, that's exactly why it came up on my feet because I follow Mat now, but I didn't prior to your retweet. So of the top thirty schools, I already read the list. But of the top thirty schools, there are two Big twelve schools. One is Utah with a valuation of five hundred and thirty nine mil. One is TCU with a valuation of five hundred and twenty three mil. Okay, the top and you guys know which conferences they're in. Okay, all of these schools are either in the SEC or the Big Ten. Texas, Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame in Michigan, Bama, Oklahoma, USC, Tennessee, LSU, Penn State, Florida, Auburn, Oregon, Texas A and M Washington Nebraska. The first team on this list that's not in the Big Ten of the SEC is Florida State, who's in the AC Clemson, Miami, North Carolina all ranked ahead of any of the Big twelve schools, which is Utah TCU. I mean yeah, another piece of evidence as to where this conference exists in the ecosystem of college football, regardless of what people who shill for the conference want to tell you.
Speaker 3: A wise man once said, if you will it, it is no dream. Oh Walter subcheck. I like the Big Labaska. I like that.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm with you. It seemed like that that's kind of where the conference finds itself. And granted a couple of years of like astoundingly good football changes this. If the Big Twelve can get two or three teams in the playoff in the next three years, I think maybe you start to, you know, peel back the onion a little bit, maybe you can weasel your way into the conversation. But until you do that, ain't nobody going to be changing the status quo for you, no matter how much you no matter how much you talk about it, no matter how much the Shills want to just say, like, I promise this is going to happen. I promise. This is a big deal. No man, that the powers that be are the powers that be for a reason, and the Big Twelve has so much work to do. You know, they have good basketball programs, it's great. But other than that, the moneymakers football it is, always will be, and it does not bode this conference well that every off season you're going to be able to go in and be like throw a dart at the board and be like, who's going to win it this year? UCF Okay, Houston, all right, Utah, sure, b yu whatever, Like that's that's gonna wa That's the conference is going to be this way for a while. That's the reality they're facing.
Speaker 2: BYU's valuation comes in at fiftieth in the country and ninth in the Big Twelve, but three hundred and six million that felt low to me.
Speaker 3: Too many extenuating circumstances. It's such a unique place, as you know, it's a at school, so probably not everything is going to always be publicly divulged. They're not. They're not subject to public records requests or grammar requests. But I agree with you. My guess would be that that's part of the reason why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe it's a lack of understanding or you know, lack of information to your point, because I think what Matt did is really fascinating.
Speaker 1: Jake ratstath Lands are too lane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are you stoked?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Matt Brown, And Matt's funny guy. He had a funny line. He said, Jake just left the place where there are four Jews and hundreds of thousands of Mormons to go to a school where there's hundreds of thousands of Jews and probably four Mormons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit of a culture shock for our guy.
Speaker 3: I think. I mean, the manner in which Jake's b YU career ended is messy, and it's unique to the school, but it is it is somewhat like intriguing that we as a as a college football system are so fascinated where Jake Retzloth is going like Jake was a decent quarterback, but like he wasn't. This isn't Zach Wilson the year he went number two in the draft. Like Jake was good and Byu was, you know, in the mix for the conference title late into November. But it's I mean, Jake has to beat out a bunch of other guys that Tulane brought in as transfers. I mean, Jake's not even a transfer, He's a walk on because the portal's not open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was kind of a weird dynamic, this whole thing.
Speaker 2: They weren't even allowed to contact him go they had to go through his reps Colorado three hundred and twenty eight mil.
Speaker 1: That's eleventh in the Big twelve. Found that kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: Ninety nine percent of that is due to Dion for sure.
Speaker 1: It is for actually, excuse me, that's seventh in the Big twelve. It's actually a couple of spots ahead of Byu.
Speaker 2: I'm stunned that we have not seen this actually come to fruition, where private equity has been infused into college football.
Speaker 1: Feels like it's just a matter of time.
Speaker 3: I think Greg Sinki was asked about this at SEC media days or one of the commissioners was recently and they said, right now, it just it doesn't make sense for their conference. So if you have somebody publicly saying that, I mean, I guess we're still a little ways away. But as we've seen that nothing matters. Everything is up subject to change. It's going to change. The CSC got, you know, sued into oblivion in just a matter of weeks, and now they're backtracking on all their stuff. Like at this point, I understand why some fans would want to understand the minutia of at all. But for a lot of fans, my guess is just like, let's just wait till we line up and kick the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think most people, you know, I am interested in the mechanisms that makes the sport tick. How many regular sports fans consumers are interested in those things?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think most people, to your point, just want Saturdays in the.
Speaker 3: Fall, Saturdays in the fall, and just less migraines. Oh how are you doing there? By the way, we're getting there.
Speaker 1: You're hanging in exceerin migraine, you got etc. You have it like in a holster, ready to ready, to access at any time.
Speaker 3: Just throw it out there.
Speaker 1: You know who will be the m v P of the MLS All Star Game tonight?
Speaker 3: Are we assuming it's an MLS player or Liga ms?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say I couldn't name five players, man, no idea. Can you name one other player and that's not Diego Luna on the MLS All Star team?
Speaker 1: Hey, we got to get roosters in here. Did Chio make it?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't ask me questions you can't answer. Put me on the spot like that. Man, Did Aaron Herrera make it? Do we exclude former rs L player?
Speaker 3: No? Just keep bringing up former RSL players?
Speaker 2: Dude, I don't watch MLS outside. I watch RSL the other night. Uh, nothing was going on, So I think I fired up El Classico.
Speaker 1: That was kind of fun. But no, I don't watch traffic co Bro.
Speaker 3: Come on, see how dare you? JP is offended.
Speaker 1: On several levels. C K will set you. It's good to see about things, man,