Speaker 1: Products or services advertised on this program. Welcome to Katie r. H. Guarden Line with Skip Rictor.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as sets.
Speaker 1: Not a side.
Speaker 2: Hello, good morning, Welcome. We're glad you're with us here on garden Line today. I'm your host, Skip Richteror. Thanks for listening in. We are here to answer your gardening questions. That's what we're all about here. And uh, I just was visiting with some folks and we were our appearance up there at the Montgomery County Home Show.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And it's amazing how many gardening questions people have, and when you answer one, it just leads to another one and then to another one. And that's okay. That's why we're here, and that's what I enjoy doing. If you have a question, we invite you to call in. We'll be glad to visit with you and you know, work out the details of either identifying or diagnosing or whatever the thing is. Listen, we are on the doorstep of fall. I know we've got some warm weather this week, but you know how it goes. Every year we have what we call false fall. We get a little cool breeze come through, and that happened the other day and we all get the false spirit in us and then here comes heat right back. And that's okay, because it's still time to do things. It's time to get things done, and it's very important to do things on time. Don't look at the thermometer, look at the calendar. That's the way I'd like to put it. Don't look at the thermometer, look at the calendar. And when you look at the calendar, you can see right now there's a number of things we can be doing. For example, we're going to be doing our fall fertilization very soon, and you need to go pick up your products for that. Nitrofoss has something called their Fall Special Winter Riser. It's very rich, got a lot of phosphorsin to help with the root system, but most importantly, it's really high in potassium. Potassium helps a grass plant prepare for winter hardiness. Think of it this way. Potassium helps the grass plant make ana freeze that makes the grass even more hearty, and also it helps the grass come out in the spring vigorously and healthy. Coming out of spring, the fall fertilization is the most important fertilization for having a healthy lawn in spring and for it coming out. Secondly, the second step of their three step is to head off the weeds. A nitro fross barricade is a pre emergent look at my schedules online at gardening with Skip dot com. It tells you exactly when to do it. Put the barricade down and prevent all the cool season weeds that'll be a problem next spring when they take off growing. They sprout this fall and you got to stop them. Number three, you put on a nitrofoss Eagle turf fungicide. It's a systemic protecting. It's a securative funge a side that actually promotes healthy turf. So are you worried about large patch or brown patch the big circles Nitropass Eagle turf fungicide. You're going to find this at a number of different places. You know, you're going to find it at places like Plants for All Seasons on two forty nine, or Katie Hardware or the gym's hardware up there in Montgomery. Nitrofoss three step makes it real easy. One, two, three. We're going to be talking about a number of things today. I'm just gonna mention something right off the bat. I'm going to be at the Willbird's Unlimited in clear Lake later today, So after the show, I'm going to head over that way. I'll get there about eleven thirty and let's see, we'll be there till one thirty. We're gonna be drawing for a lot of products, things like hummingbird nectar with nectar defender, new variety of seed blends actually, and I'll be giving away some other products as well for everybody who shows up, as long as supplies last. Remember, migration is underway. Hummingbirds are here Baltimore, orioles are coming through. They'll be doing it all this month and into October. That doing it meaning the arriving in our spot, get a bite to eat and continue on with their migration and we it's enjoyable when you have a feeder and you can bring them in to that feeder. Out in the lawn. This week, I was going through looking for some signs of fall aster. Fall Aster is a weed that you don't renoice during the year unless your lawn is really struggling. Then the fall aster stands out. But it's almost a blue green weed that grows down really low in the almost the thatch area of the lawn sticks this little leaves up where they can get some light. And if it were if you weren't mowing the lawn, the weed would be, you know, over knee high. It gets very tall, but in a lawn it knows how to adjust to mowing. And in probably maybe October we'll start to see the little blooms from that, depending on where you live north and south in the listening area. And when you see the blooms, that's when everybody gets alarmed about it, and so just be checking for it and when you see them. The easiest thing to do for fall aster at this point in the season is to pull it up, ham pull it up what the soil, make sure the lawn soil is moist, and just get down on hens and knees. It has one spot where it comes out of the ground, taproot, so it's easy to wiggle it up right out of there. During most of the season, if you knew you were looking for it and treating for it, you could use a broadly post emergent product on it. But once these weeds go what we call reproductive, meaning they're blooming and they're setting seeds, it's a little late. The products that would have worked at that stage of the weed, we're not going to accomplish much. So just a little tip there on with the fall aster and we certainly do have to deal with fall uster. When was the last time you're at at Arburgate. I swung by the other day and I'm telling you they are set up for fall of whatever kind of decorations. If you need the landscape blane, you know, things put out in your yard and stuff just for decorating for fall, whether it's the Halloween or whether it's decorating for just the harvest season. You know that feel of the harvest season with all the orange and golden and yellow and maroonish colors that you put out. Well, Arburgate's got you covered on all of that. While you're there, you need to pick up their one two three system because on guard line, I always say brown stuff before green stuff, meaning before you put the plants in the ground, get the soil right. And that's what the one two three system is. It's a soil and it's a fertilizer for anything with roots, and then it is a compost that can be mixed as well into the soil of blend and you pick all the three of those up. You put those together into the soil and your plan is ready to go. And that's important. And they've got that there at Arburgate. Remember they got the new parking lot new. I'll say it's new for another year or two probably, but it's been a long time coming. But boy is that ever nice and convenient. It's off Trischel Road behind Arburgate. So whether you're coming out twenty nine to twenty from Tomball or coming in the other way, you just turned on Trishel Road, it's before or after Arburgate. It's a loop that goes out behind. It makes it real easy to do there. The Ace Hardware stores here in our area are amazing in their everything ness. In other words, if I talk about a fertilizer for your lawn, if I talk about you know, you need to use this insect, a sider fundicide or herbicide or whatever it is, Ace Hardware's got them. And there's forty Ace Hardware's here in the Great Houston area. So that makes it really really easy to find everything you need. You want to do some outdoor decorating and some outdoor enjoyment on the evenings as are getting cooler, Ace Hardware's got everything you need for the patio as well. Acehardware dot Com find the forty stores near you by going to the store locator. Well, I got to take a little break. We'll do the last segment seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two kt RH. You can give us a call. We'll be happy to visit with you about whatever kinds of questions that you might have. I've talked about Quality Home Products of Texas a number of times, and it's because I believe in the way they do business without a doubt, you know, and so do a lot of other people. They've served over seventy seven thousand homeowners and their customer service is award winning. I'm talking about the Better Business Bureau's most prestigious Customer Service Award. They've wonted eight times, so that's a that is an accomplishment. The Houston Chronicle Best of the Best in twenty twenty three they won that as well. It's a family owned operation, and if you go to the website QUALITYTX dot com you can find out more about them, or you can just give them a call. It's seven one three Quality Listen you need a quality generator, for example, they carry the GENERAC generator, top of the line type company and Quality Home walks you through the whole process. And it's not just the piece of equipment you're buying, it's everything else you get from helping you find the right one, to setting it upright, to jump through the hoops of you know, any regulations a city or what whoever may have. They do all that for you, and then after the sale, they're there to continue to maintain that unit and to help you when you need that peace of mind. And boy, do we ever need some of that this year with all the storms that we endured. Let's go on out to the phones and we're going to talk to John Tomball. Hello, John, Welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 5: I we have a pool and I also have a nosy neighbor who likes to watch my wife. If that's I can say that on the radio.
Speaker 2: Uh, but yeah, go ahead, right right.
Speaker 5: So we're thinking that we want to put some crape myrtles up and line the fence with them so that they'll, you know, raise above the fence line. The question is we're trying to decide.
Speaker 6: On the color.
Speaker 5: We really like the dark red ones and the white ones. If I like red white, red white, red white all the way down the fence line. Yes, does that like when they propagate or whatever? Will I have you know, pink ones next year? Will I have no?
Speaker 4: No, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Plant will always produce that color loom and so yes, you can do that. Just watch the height of them crate myrtles. There are crp myrtles that get two feet tall, and there's crape myrtles that get thirty five feet tall, and so you want to make sure they're all going to have foliage in the area where you want them to have foliage. So that's part of picking the right varieties and also training them well. John, if you will go on, if you use Google or whatever search engine, type in skip Richter and crape myrtle, and you should get a chart that shows you. Not everyone on the market. There's a lot of new ones since I put that chart out, but you can see what I'm talking about on heights, and there's pictures of the CRP myrtles too, So you go, I like that penguin, I like this white one, and they're about the right size. That's what I recommend. Just remember when you use crapes to a screen of view. You just need to not go swimming in early spring or later in the fall, because some crape already's starting to drop.
Speaker 5: Leaves, right right, Okay, Yeah, it'll definitely be an experiment. But we like the really really really like those dark red ones, so that's what we were going to try.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and you're in Tombol. You know, you've got the Arbigate Nursery right out there outside of town. They're gonna have a lot of varieties and if they don't have one, they probably could order it for you or one that will be a good replacement. Okay, okay, fair enough, all right, sir, take care, thanks for thanks, Yes, sir, that is very very important, very important. You know Nelson plant Food, I've talked about it before. You know, they're fertilizers. They have fertilizers for every month of the I mean, no matter what month it is, they've got the appropriate fertilizer to be putting out at that month at that time. But they also have a product called genesis. Now, genesis is something that you put in when you're transplanting. It's a nutrient, but it also has microbes in it, and so if you're going to bump a container you bought into a larger container that's soil, and the larger container needs to Genesis already mixed into it. If you're going to take let's say you're gonna plant a rosebush this fall, or any tree, you take the soil around where you're gonna plant in that hole and you mix in Genesis with it. It's not gonna burn, but just mix it into the soil where you're planting, whether it's a garden bed or you know, or a landscape bed. Genesis is an outstanding product. I was so surprised when I first used it.
Speaker 4: For me.
Speaker 2: It was bumping some tomatoes up. They were in little, tiny, six pack sized tomatoes. I was putting them in four inch pots and I mixed Genesis into the soil and wow, they they moved on. And that's from Nelson Plant Food. It's widely available and it's an outstanding product. We're going to go now to Glenn in Cyprus. Hello Glenn, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 7: Hey Skip, Harry, I'm.
Speaker 2: Good, I'm good. Thanks.
Speaker 7: Hey, I just had a question on using a weed killer on something.
Speaker 4: I had a.
Speaker 7: Patch of yopop that pibably like the size of a bed of a pickup truck, where there was like over a hundred of them, and I thind them out to where there's only like twelve left and strip them up and just have them coming out on the top. All the suckers that come up from the bottom, Well, I damage the other plants if I just spray the yes, the new growth coming.
Speaker 2: Up, Yeah you will. The reason round up works well is because it trendslocates down into the roots. It kills the whole plant, and so yes that that would be a disaster. You're just gonna have to cut them down back down you open the larger types, especially they're they're notorious. If you can dig down and try to take it off right where it joins whatever it's attached to, a root or the trunk or whatever, take it out there, you will have a little less of that suckering. But it's the nature of that species to want to do that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I had a filling.
Speaker 7: I would just have a chore, a chore on my hands.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for a long time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I just wanted to make sure there was in some way I could damper that from coming up so fast. If I hit them quick when they're real small, they're they're tender, and they're easy just to I usually just weed et them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that that would be a good idea to try that. I'm not a fan of those surface fabrics you know that block are supposed to block weeds, because they end up weeds end up on top of them and still a problem. But that with something to weigh it down, you know, like a little rock malts kind of area around them that would suppress them because they wouldn't be able to push up through that. But but you definitely would need something weighing it down because they're just going to lift that right up.
Speaker 6: Sure, I understand.
Speaker 7: Okay, well, thank you.
Speaker 2: You bet. Thanks then I appreciate appreciate your very much. Southwest Fertilizer has been around since the nineteen fifties. And what I say about Southwest is if they don't have it, you don't need it. And that is really true. When you go in there, you need to go by check it out. It's corner of Bisinette and Renwick in Southwest Houston. If you want the website, it's Southwest Fertilizer dot com. But just you need to go in the store because It's amazing the selection of things that they have. It's just pretty much everything you could possibly need. An eighty foot long wall of tools. You know, some of you are building that skips weed wiper that I put on my website by the way, if you want to see that, it's gardening with Skip dot Com. Some of you are building that. Well, Bob's got the standard grabber tool that you use to build that, and he, you know, he can give you the products that go with that, depending on whether you're going after woody ornamentals or grass or sedges or whatever it is. Bob is always is going to be on top of things while you're in there. Take a look at the kneeling bench. I think it's the coolest thing. It'll change your gardening life, especially if you're somewhere north of forty years old, because it's easy. It's a seat, it's also a kneeling bench, and the legs then become handles to help you get back up. And you know, if you go to your knees and get up about how many times do we do that on a good Saturday in the garden, eight hundred times? Well, it'll keep you from waking up in the pre natal position the next morning when your body says, you will never do that to me again. Southwest Fertilizer. Southwest Fertilizer dot Com. Corner of Bussinette and Runwick. We're going to go out now to Cypers and talk to Ed. Hello, Ed, Welcome to guard Line. Good morning morning. I've got two questions. One is what is your opinion or.
Speaker 9: Pruning paint or pruning dressing.
Speaker 2: You go ahead, going to give me both of you want to get me to go one at.
Speaker 9: A do okay, I'll give you the other one. The other one has to do with fertilize, and I never can get an even spread of the fertilizer. I end up with these green lanes. Yeah, oh my lawn, and I use a broadcast of better that's good. And it doesn't seem to matter what steady and it's on. I still have those okay stripes.
Speaker 2: You just need to you know, depending on how fast you walk, that wheel spinds faster and it will sling farther. So have number one, have a certain pace that you're walking to put it out and just notice how far out it's going on the sides. And then when you come the other way, make sure you're as close to the right distance as you can. And I'm sure you're already doing that, but make sure and do that. And then what I would do the other thing is to I'll just use umpus directions if you if you'll take half about what you're going to apply and go north south and then turn around take the other half and go east west. That helps blend it out a little bit as well, okay, uh, And that that would be the main thing. And the stronger the fertilizer is, the higher the nitrogen content, the less you're gonna use. Uh. And so sometimes people get a good stout fertilizer, which is fine, you just would need to use less and they still apply a higher rate and that also makes it a little difficult to not stripe.
Speaker 9: Some of these fertilizers don't give you a setting for the particular broadcast spreader.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I have, So.
Speaker 9: How do you figure that instead of doing a bunch of math?
Speaker 2: Well, in general, just if you're this is a general guide because there's not a specific answer because there's really so many different spreaders and different fertilizer products and whatnot. But if you'll put the setting a notch or two above half way. So let's say there were twenty notches for that spreader. Eleven or twelve would be about where you put it, okay, And if there are, you know, five notches, then you're going to put it at about three. You see what I'm saying, just a little bit above halfway.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 9: So then the two things that I need to be doing is the two things I need to be doing is take it, be careful not to overlap. Yeah, well, washing the spreader right and walk at the same pace. And then yes, the third thing would be to.
Speaker 2: Do half of yeah pattern, Hey, Ed, I've got I've got to go to a break for the news. But good luck at that. And uh, I think it's going to work for you. All right, We're going to go to new turn them around in a circle and dial them. I still say dial. We don't dial anymore anyway, call us at seven one three two one two k t R H. I know some of you are remember that too, seven one three two one two.
Speaker 11: H.
Speaker 2: The folks at Medina have a wide variety of products, and I could spend a whole show talking about all the different Medina products that are out there. One of them been around for a long time. It's kind of a standard with Medina is a soil activator. Soil activator has some micronutrients in it, which is good, and it also has all kinds of biological activity that helps the soil. The original biological activator for the soil derived from a complex. It's got a complex of different kinds of biocatalysts in it, and people have used Medina soil Activator and sworn by it for years. Another product that is an outstanding one for medina's Medina Plus, and so it's going to contain similar things to the first one I mentioned, but also some additional nutrient content. Medina Plus is a combination of that soil activator and then it's fortified with seaweed extracts, so it's high end micro nutrients. It's got natural plant growth regulators, and if you're going to do any transplanting, it would be an excellent product to water. There's new plants in You can get it on the foldage and you will drench it on the roots. All of that, all of the above, it's not going to burn your plants. Just follow the label and you will have really think a surprising result with the Medina Plus and the Medina so Ale Activator. You are listening to garden Line. Our phone number is seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. I was mentioning earlier that if you go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com, you can find a number of things. One of them is the there is a how to build a weed wiper and you just have to go there. I'm not going to try to describe it to you, but it's really easy to make. When you look at it, you just go I can do that myself, and you can probably improve on it yourself, because it's just one way to do It's the way I've done it. There is an outstanding publication on tip tips for winning the War against Nutsedge, and I say outstanding because I spent a long time researching this and trying things myself through the years. What are our options for that? It's a one pager. Then the one that I hope you will read. I know people don't like to read a lot, but it's called going Nuts over Nuts Edge, Going Nuts over Nutsedge, and these are all free. Above everything on the website is free and it goes into detail on the two kinds of nutsedge and some other stuff that you probably didn't know about it, and these are very important if you want to have success. I'm fighting two battles with nutsedge myself. I got some really nice, fine textured turf. It's called it's a zoysia called Xeon, and it's an outstanding thing. But boy, when the nutsedge sticks, it's it's leaves up above the turf, it re shows up. And so I'm dealing with it. They are and in a flower bed. And if you will follow what's on that information sheet that I created, it will work. You just have to stay with it. Also there you're going to find my schedules, my lawn care schedule, and we are at the doorstep of applying our fall fertilizers. For those of you that are listening, I'll say way up north, like Huntsville or someplace like that. The time you apply comes a little earlier than someone down in Galveston, for example, where it doesn't get as cold as fast. And so anyway, lawn care schedule, and then the lawn pest disease and we'd management schedule, and we are entering the season now where we treat for brown patch or large patch, and it's also the season where we treat for take all root rot. And then it's also the season where we put a pre emergent down our winter weeds, things like the hen bet and chick weed, carpetweed and clovers and all of those. They're sprouting in the fall when it cools off a little bit, and then they sit there all winter, and then in spring we have a mess on our hands. And so if you look at the schedule, you'll see all of that. It gives you a list of products, both organic and synthetic for dealing with all of those. Well, let's go now to Katie, Texas. We're going to talk to Sam. Hello, Sam, good morning.
Speaker 12: I have a bunch of citrus trees and they're getting some whitish substance powdery looking thing on the leaves and they're shrivalling. They're shriveling up. I wondered if there any spray or anything for that, and what would you recommend.
Speaker 2: You may have more than one thing going on. Your description kind of sounds like maybe more than one thing to me, but the primary thing, the shriveling up. I'm pretty sure that's going to be the citrus leaf minor. And if you'll get a leaf that's doing that, and you'll look at it really close, you should see some sir some trails through the leaf. It's a serpentine type trail, you know, just wiggles and goes all around all through the leaf. And if you see that, that's a citrus leaf miner. Citrus leaf miner. You got a couple of options. Number One, you can do nothing. They're not going to kill your tree. They take a little foliage out, but the trio grow more foliage. They primarily attack tender new growth, which we're kind of done having now. I mean it's going to cool off in a little bit here in the citrus quit putting out in new growth, and so it would be waiting until next spring to act against them when they start showing up again. So whenever you have a flesh and new growth, that's when you would spray the leaves. Only the leaves that are the flush of new growth, the old, dark, leathery leaves. Leaf miner doesn't attack those, so that that'd be some Now some people just ignore it. But if I had a young tree and I was trying to get it to really grow up fast and get big. So it has a lot of oranges or whatever kind of citrus on it. I would probably do some spring during the first three years.
Speaker 4: Maybe what spray would you recommend?
Speaker 2: There's the safest is a product called spin No sad. It's spi No sa d spin No said, yeah, and it's an organic product and you spray it on the foliage. It soaks in, so the miner that's already in the leaf, it will kill them too.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, good luck with those citrus plants. I know you'll you'll do well. Puercescapes is the landscape company, design landscape company, the enhanced landscape company. So what I mean by that? Will you look out in your backyard and you go, I would love a rock patio. I'd like a barbecue pit out there under a cover. I would like some landscape lighting.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's also a company that can fix your irrigation issues that pop up. It's a company that can do pretty much anything you need, including improving the drainage on an area. So just called pier scape, I say, go to the website peerscapes dot com. Piercescapes dot com. And the reason is you will get an idea on the amazing work that they do at Pierscapes. Every time I look at it, it's like I think of ten more things I need in my backyard. We're going to take a break. Our phone number is seven to one three two one two, Katie. You know when it when it comes to organic types of products. So one of the first things I think of is Microlife. Microlife has been creating organic products for a very long time, and they they have such excellent products, such outstanding products actually that just flat work they do. Microlife. For example, they have got the biomatrix. The biomatrix is a really good product for anything that you're going to plant, any whether you're fertilizing an existing plant or whether you're transplanting or whatever. Biomatrix is in an orange bottle. It is a liquid. Now they also have they had a bunch of liquid type products, but they've got the fish emulsions in the seaweed, which organic gardeners know that combination is an excellent way to fertilize plants as well. But I want to just talk about that biomatrix for just a moment. It is loaded with microbes. It has the nutrients in seven percent nitrogen seven one three or four. I just went blank on the actual last number seven one four, I believe. And I've used it on houseplants. I've used it outdoors. It's not going to burn a plant, but it will not only feed the plant but also enhance microbial activity in the soil, and that is very important. And it's just one of many quality products that you can get for Microlife. It's Microlifefertilizer dot com. That's a website you can find out where to get it. But I can just tell you this, it's widely available. You're going to feed stores, you going to garden centers, you go into ACE hardware stores or Southwest Fertilized. You're going to find products like Microlife Biomatrix. We're going to head now out to San Leon and talk to Ted. Hello, Ted, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Hey. This is Ted normally from Sant Leon, but I'm visiting in Myerland this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 13: You advised about a month ago that uh yeah, it's okay to still go ahead and put out some superturf, not cross super turf. I did, and I did. It was second's despair before the rain started. Worked out beautifully, work out beautifully. Got a couple of weeks the nice rain. But uh, how am I going to store that half a bag that's left?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 2: Just just you know, fold it up, you know, as tight as you can. I use those big old giant clips alligator clips on it. But you can have a duct tape to hold it down or whatever, just to keep you know, moisture from the air from in there. And that's that's what I would do. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Randy used to advise, well, if there's any clumps, it's no good. But you know, uh, if I see a few clumps, I don't easily worry about it too much.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes they're not. Sometimes they can easily be broken apart, sometimes a piece of concrete.
Speaker 13: So I just kind of, yeah, a little advice. The guy that called earlier about the crape myrtles to shield his pool. Uh, boy, of those crape myrtle blossoms will plug up a section filter on a.
Speaker 2: Pool quick, okay.
Speaker 13: And so anyway, that's something to consider. There's a marina down here in Seabrook that has them all along there. And they take a fire hose and knock the blossoms off so they don't get into the boats. And uh, they can cover the boats. Yeah, and they leave stains. So anyway, but anyway, your show.
Speaker 2: Yeah a great, Yeah, appreciate, appreciate the call. Okay, you take care by bye. All right. You're listening to garden Line. Our phone number if you'd like to give us a call seven to one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. I was kind of perusing I guess you'd say the uh in Chenna Gardens social media. I follow a lot of our sponsors on social media and you should too, by the way. Uh, it's you find out what's coming up. I mean, if they're going to have an event or a speaker, you find out about what products they just got in and you kind of get a head start on that before somebody else makes a run. But they were Uh, I was just noticing that they they do a lot of things with making containers that are mixed containers, meaning there's several different kinds of plant and that is really a beautiful, a beautiful result. And for example, you could do that with just herbs, or you could do it with herbs combined with other things. You can do it with flowers. We're entering the fall season, so how about a croaton in the middle of it, and then you've got some other fall colored flowers that are also part of it. They've got everything you need for that out there now. They also have the plants for whatever season we're in. They've also got things like the fertilizers and the products, the soils and multius and things that you need to have success. And they have expert advice. When you go to Anchinna Gardens, you're going to have folks that know what they're talking about that can guide you and help you. And us entering now the Halloween and Thanksgiving a season, every kind of plant you can imagine that fits that season is going to be on front display. But just go there take a friend, because this is a destination garden center out in the Richmond Rosenberg area. It's on north of Richmond Rose. Excuse me, Richmond Rosenberg. It's up toward the KD direction and that is Enchanted Gardens. By the way, the road is FM three point fifty nine, Richmond, Texas address. Well, I think we're running. Uh, let's see, we still got time maybe for a real quick call seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H gist call. We'll be able to help you with whatever kinds of questions that you might have.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm the broken record on the soil.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Everything begins in the soil. Plants success begins in the soil, and so if you want to have success with whatever you're planting, the soil has got to be suitable for that plant. And one of the things that soiled typically down here we don't have adequate amount of, especially clays, uh, is oxygen down in the soil. Did you know plant roots need oxygen. You know, we think about plants they breathing carbon dioxide and they breathe out oxygen. That makes us in plants go well together because we're the opposite. But plants also use oxygen, not as much as they produce. But there's part of the cycle with plants is having oxygen to do the things some of the things that they need to do. And if your soil is loose, if your soil has good compost content, good organic matter content in a clay, a lot of expanded shale helps as well. Is even a longer term thing you're going to have success. And if you're looking for the one stop shop for brown stuff, that is Cienomalts Cienamalts down just north of Roast Sharing. They have all the different things I'm talking about, a wide variety of things that make your soil better. Compost and bed mixes. For example, if you wanted the heirloom soils, veggie and herb mix that go to Siana Maltch. They've got it. They have it there. If you're needing a good top dressing maltz to go on top of the soil, go to Siena Maltz. They have it there. If you're needing a fertilizer, every fertilizer I talk about on garden line and then some are there at Ciena malt If you need things like stone, if you need gravel or rocks for decorations and whatever, they've got that there at Ciena malt When you drive into Ciana Malts and drive out, you have everything you need to have success with your plants. They deliver within about twenty miles of their location, but you just need to go. It's an outstanding place again. They are on FM five point twenty one, just north of Rosharon cianamltch dot com. And by the way, they treat you well there too, very friendly, and it just it feels like you're going to visit with family when you walk inside of Sienamultch. We're running pretty close to the break here, so I think it won't start start up something new. I do want to remind you that today I'm going to be at the clear Lake wild Bird's Unlimited Store. Okay, clear Lake wild Bird's Unlimited Store. And in my garden some hummingbirds showed up. I haven't been in the past a big hummingbird feeder. Of course, I'm getting more and more into birds these days. But the clear Lake wild Bird's Unlimited Store as where I'll be from eleven thirty to one thirty. Now, that is where El Dorado and clear Lake City Boulevard come together. El Dorado Boulevard, clear Lake City Boulevard down in clear Lake. All of you in the region down there, if you have some samples of plants, put them as up like bag, bring them in, we'll identify them, we'll diagnose them, we'll last rites. If that needs to be done. Do you have things you want identify same thing? Bring phone pictures in. Just make sure where you come in they're close up and they are crisp, sharp focus. So you know, a fuzzy photo gets you a fuzzy answer. I don't want to give you a fuzzy answer. So they're like wallbirds on them. We're going to be given away a number of different products. I'm bringing some stuff to give away. They'll be like hummingbird nectar defender. That's an outstanding product. I use it in in my hummingbird nectar in this warm weather sugar water goes bad pretty quick. With nectar defender in it, it lasts a lot longer, and it's it's an excellent product for the burden. They're going to give away some other stuff, some of their seed blends, for example. So they're like wallbirds. If you live south, if you live east, south or southeast, come and see me today. I have you know that I was talking earlier, you know about the importance of preparing soil, of the importance of making sure that when you are doing something to your lawn or your flower beds or your garden or whatever, that you provide the nutrients it needs, and you provide oxygen in the soil that you create the ideal soil environment. And that it's I'm a broken record on it, but it's because I know that is the first step the key to success. When you plant a plant and walk away the minute you've planted it, or a seed for that matter, you are I'm going to say, eighty percent of the way to success or failure at least seventy five percent. And it's because you've chosen the plant, You've prepared the soil, you put it in cent or shade, and the plants can have an opinion about that. Does it have nutrients, does it have good oxygen in the soil. All the stuff you do before you plant is the vast majority of your success. And just remember that I wor in Southern Gardens is out there in Kingwood Garden Center. Both are out there in the Kingwood area, and boy, they have a lot going on right now. They've got citrus in the rangoon creeper is in stock and if you've never seen a rangoon creeper, that is one showboat. In the summer, it's a vine and dies back to the ground and then it comes back again and boy, it is beautiful, beautiful. It's time to make sure that your planters are in good shape for the fallseason. You got your new plants in, you got good soil in. Warrens can help you with that. And Kingwood Garden Center do you know what Warrens. You can drop off existing pots or you can buy a new one and have a schedule and appointment visit the garden center or schedule and appointment. They have a great selection to new pottery if you need some. But they will help you create a stunning arrangement that is really impressive. So if you feel like I just don't know what to do, I don't know what plants to put in, they'll give you ideas for combos and that is really cool. You can say five dollars on Microlife sixty four on the Microlife brown Patch control on sweet Grain from nitroposs anarnaesumite through the end of this month, five bucks off each bag. They also have sales on Bugginator and Slow and Easy and nitrofis super Turf. It's just a good time to go. Tree sales going on right now. Thirty percent off any trees. That's that is cool. That one called a traveler red bud, that kind of it's a weeping type of redbud. And of course they got a lot of different kinds of trees as well. And why are you there? Just go online and subscribe it to the Warrens newsletter. You'll find out about all these kind of discounts and savings Warren Southern Gardens and also out there Kingwood Garden Center in Kingwood. We're going to head now, let's see, we're going to go out to Richmond and talk to Bob. Hey, Bob, welcome to a guard line.
Speaker 4: Hey, thank you, skip Y.
Speaker 10: I got a boxwood that the leaves are yellowing, and I know a couple of weekends back, y'all.
Speaker 15: Talk to someone about that.
Speaker 4: I was walking the doll as I couldn't really here at pay attention to what they were doing. Yeah, there's something about the bark on it, the discolouration at the base or something.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, box woods, there's different things that can affect them. Nematodes when they occur in large enough numbers on the roots and they build up over time, they make the plant very inefficient at taking up water and nutrients, so you end up with symptoms of nutrient deficiency or drought. Typically drought types of damage. There is a root rot that will kill roots, and as roots begin to die, let's say over on the left side of the plant, then you typically will notice a whole section of the plant above that that's going to start to lose that cane. Occasionally we have a sudden coal snap that can cost splitting of the trunk. There's just different things that can happen. I would follow the branch that when it turns completely brown or tan and it's not alive, I'd follow that branch down and cut it offward attaches to something else that way.
Speaker 10: It's done it before over the years. It's but spody nipped it there. But this one's like from the base of it, running up the middle, over the top and trying to spread outwards on one side.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it'd be a big chop to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be But if it's dead, it's not going to come back alive, so you might as get it out of there, you know. If you well, if you pull the plant up, it's easy to see them. But if you don't, just get you a blast of water and try to blast out some of the root systems and you'll see little bumps, little knots, like a string of pearls or something. Sometimes it's so bad it looks like the Michelin man with all those a lot of lumps and stuff. But that would be the nema toads if you want to check for that. If you were to scrape the base of the trunk kind of deeply, scrape back the bark and you see brown in there, then that's a sign of a root raight fungus that's working on it. So there's a lot of possibilities. We can't you know, go into detail on each one, but see what you see. If you have any further questions, just call me back.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I just send you a photo tomorrow and hollo back at you.
Speaker 2: Okay, take care, appreciate the call very much. Yeah, that nematodes and a lot of other things can really be a problem. Landscaper's Pride has got an outstanding selection of both soil blend products and mulch type products, so you know there's local company out here as part of the state. They make a rose mix that is outstanding for success with roses. They make a premium potting mix that is like a Cadillac type mix. Got all kinds of great stuff in it, including a nutrient release that'll last about three months on that. It's just a great idea when you're going to put in some perennials, when you're going to plant some fall ornamentals, or maybe you already have some that you can use. Some of their mulches, like the black velvet mulch out there on the surface of the soil. You can pile that up over the top of a plant that is semi coal tender. You know, you think some winter I'm gonna lose that thing. Well, just pullow mulch over the crowded plant at the base of the plant and create a hold that soil warmth in and that in and of itself is helpful. And I love the color of the black velvet. It's not dyed. It's beautifully dark and velvety. And then they also have top soil. Does your lawn have some areas that need, you know, kind of a hole you're gonna twist your ankle, lint or something. You can use their topsoil product. It's a high quality products. Got some some blend of a compost in it. It's just going to give you a really good result. All it, all of it is from landscapers pride. We're going to head now. See nope, we're going to head now do a break. And so Susan and Patterson and George in Jersey Village, you will be my first two up when we come right.
Speaker 1: Back leaving a trail hurt feelings.
Speaker 2: I have to say this right now. The Metropolis got you.
Speaker 15: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 16: I had a quick question about blueberries.
Speaker 15: I've read online.
Speaker 16: Some places say put them in those you know, those big pots like the trees come in when you buy big trees. Yes, to control the pH Other's places say no, no, no, they have to be in the ground. I was wondering what your opinion was on planting blueberries.
Speaker 2: Blueberry doesn't care where it is as long as its soil is well drained and slightly acidic. And so if you have naturally acidic soil, you can just plant the soil. Uh, you probably don't in your location, and so you can bring in a bed mix that's acidic and create a bed that's let's say, oh, I'd probably make it a little over maybe a foot high, because it's going to settle down in time. Sure, and the roots can go out in that bed and essentially be growing in that. Or the third thing is put them in a big pot like that and put in acidic type bed mix in the pot.
Speaker 16: Okay, so you think either way would works. There's not one better the pot of the ground. Okay, Well I would one on.
Speaker 2: The ground because there's less trouble in the pot. The pot needs to be as big as a whiskey barrel. Half whiskey barrel are bigger, don't put them in a whiskey barrel. A little wrought out.
Speaker 17: But uh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 16: The thing I read was, you know those pots like when you buy a big tree. You know, I don't know how big bows are, but those great big ones.
Speaker 2: So I've I've grown blueberries and half whiskey barrel type pots before. It just got the water them a lot in the summer because it's a limited.
Speaker 16: Okay, So it sounds like in the ground might be Let me just say.
Speaker 2: Let me say this. Water quality is very important. If it's high pH water, if it's high sodium water, if it's highed bikes in the water. So if you have any way to set up a half whiskey bar I mean a rain barrel or something to capture some water that would be best and minimize bad water. Bad for blueberries, maybe good for other plants, but not for blueberries.
Speaker 16: Okay, yeah, I'm kind of working on trying to get a rain water harvesting thing going. So if you have time for a quick question about killing vines. We have this stickery vine. It looks kind of like a blueberry, I mean a dewberry vine that it never makes anything but really nasty stickers on our little thorns. I've heard you talk to people about tricle pier for killing vines. I'm trying to be organic, but I just cannot get this stuff under control. Is it better if I cut them off and then treat the new growth or can I just put this stuff on the current growth or is it one way.
Speaker 2: That's tracle pair definitely is not organic. But the way I'm going to tell you to apply it is a minimum amount of product to put in the environment, and that is you cut the vine off or the tree, you know, the little sprouting hackberry in your facetline or the stuff, and you take tracle pair with one of those little brushes that you get to paint with. It's like a little and stick with a brush on the Yeah, they get the tiny, smallest one and then just dip it directly in some trickle, paer, and then dab it on the fresh cut surface. When you cut them off, it goes down in there and you can't get less pesticide application than that.
Speaker 16: Okay, all right, that sounds great.
Speaker 15: I appreciate it.
Speaker 17: All right, good luck, thank you, yes, or thank you so much about it?
Speaker 2: All right? You're listening to garden Line, and we are glad you are. We're here to answer your gardening questions. And if you'd like to give me a call, you can just dial seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. We're going to go down to Jersey Village and talk to George. Hello, George, Yeah, Skip, how's it going? Good?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 18: I got a meer lemon tree that's got the fruit is about half right, So do I need to let those riping on the tree or can I take them off?
Speaker 4: Well, they continue to ripen, they're not there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not going to continue to ripen off the tree, but they'll be edible before. Don't wait on them to turn completely yellow. That's too long on the tree.
Speaker 18: Okay, all right, is that you said to say no to maybe as you said, I could take them off and they were ripen But is that How do you determine which ones I can do it too, which ones I can't?
Speaker 2: You just kind of have to go online look it up, you know. It's the term. The term for that for any nerds that are listening is climac terek. Is it a climac terek fruit or not? So you could do a Google search for climac terek fruits that you know, okay, and and that would give you pop up a list and then answer that question.
Speaker 4: Good, thank you you told me every day I need to know.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's good. Well, have a good rest to your day. Then thank you, bye bye bye bye. That's funny. Oh gosh, well, uh in Chenny Forrest out there in Richmond Rosenberg Is it's a garden center. You need to go see.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I talk all the time about how how rich we are with the garden centers around the Greater Houston area. This is just a prime example of exactly that ended. Chended Forest is It's an enchanting place. I love to go there. Right now, they are loaded up on fall color they of course have like Croton's I mentioned them earlier, Those big old gaudy fall colored leaves just beautiful. You can get that there. You can get anything you're looking for still time. If you're doing some butterfly planting, you know, they still have plenty of supplies for that. Trees and shrubs. They do an outstanding job on that. Enchanted Forest is just a place that you really need to go. I mean, it's as simple as that. Whenever whenever I'm out there, I always number one. I love visiting with the folks because they're friendly and they treat you right, and they know what they're talking about. But I always have to wander around and I'm going to see new plants that I haven't had before. You know, your fall herbs right now a prime, prime example of some some really timely things from Enchanted Forest. If you if you want to go there, it's FM twenty seven fifty nine in Richmond, Texas FM twenty seven fifty nine. So if you're in Richmond, you're heading up towards Sugar Lance can be way off to the right. That's where you're going to go. Uh and when you when you get there, tell them that you heard about on guardline and that I don't know. You just want to hear about all the wonderful things that they have, and they'll get you plugged right in. If you want the website, and I recommend that you do, uh go there. It's enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. Enchanted Forest Richmond, t X dot com. Our phone number is seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. If you'd like to give me a call, we can talk about other things that are of interest to you. You you have, I'm sure many times heard me talk about B and B two Pros, B and B turf Pros. When it comes to putting a compost, stop dressing down, when it comes to doing a deep core aeration, you're not going to find a better place than B and B turf Pros. They absolutely know what they're talking about, and when they do a job, they do it right. It's very important to them to take care of their customers and I see this. I see it in their ratings and just the you know, when I talk to them what is important to you, I can just hear that their goal is for you to be happy, not for them to come to your property, get their money and leave. It's for you to be happy because they know that that gets talked about. People talk about the job they did, and it just makes people happy. And it's kind of folks that they are just to be real honest with you about it. BnB turf pros dot com is the website, and I said that a little incorrectly. It's BB no end bbturfpros dot com. If you want to give them a call seven to one, three two three four fifty five ninety eight. It's a good time now to go ahead and get that top compost top dressing done before we get too late into the fall and in the corrooration. The corrooration gets oxygen back down in your soil where you can have success. You want to do that before you apply your pre emergent ideally, because then when you apply a pre emergent, you are treating what is the surface of the soil. The idea of taking core plugs out and dropping them on the surface, which is so good for the lawn that could bring new weed seeds up or something like that. So get your compost top dressing corrooration done first, and then apply your pre emergent weed killers let's see, let's go out to southwest Houston and we're going to talk to Pat. Hello, Pat, good.
Speaker 19: Morning, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm well things.
Speaker 20: I have a question about soide web worms. And I don't know if this is the time of year, but I've got a lot of moths of flying around my lawn in the shrubbery.
Speaker 19: So is this the time for those?
Speaker 2: Well, it is a time that you can have those. And if you go to my lawn pest disease, disease and okay, management schedule, we carry the chinchbugs and side webworm season out through September. The later you get, the less likely it is to have some issues, especially with the chinchbugs. But we're still within that window. And so now there are a lot of moths that aren't side web worms. And so just as you see moths as not the problem. If you walk through your lawn and moths come flying up out of the lawn and they go a little distance and then they settle back into the lawn, that is probably side web worms. That's kind of the work. They're going to lay eggs that are going to hatch out. Now isn't the time to treat them because the larva aren't there yet that do the feeding. But when you start to see a little bit of feeding from the larva, that's the time to get a pesticide down on them to take care of them. You could also use you could use a nitropossbug out max now, water it in and get it in the thatch so as those little creatures try to they hide in the thatch during the day and then they come back out at night to feed on your lawn. So you could that would be another approach to them, because that product's going to last a long time.
Speaker 19: Okay? Is that organic?
Speaker 2: No? It is not. If you want an organic control for sideweb worms, spend no, said or bet, But you have to have actively feeding young caterpillars that they're going to spray the leaves and then they're going to eat the leaves and they're going to get sick.
Speaker 19: Got you, okay, okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: Very much, you bet, Thank you for the call. All right, folks, time for is to take another break for the news. The phone number if you'd like to give me a call and be first up when we come back seven to one three two one two k t R eight. It's seven one three two one two ktr eight. For example, their fall fertilization product is called carbo Load. Carbo Load is on my schedule. I talk about October being a prime time for the applications of products that are going to give you the fall blend, in other words, the higher potassium a little lower nitrogen blend. And that's what's in carbo Load. By the way, fourticon bag covers five thousand square feet. And then you need to water it in because it's going to have a pre emergent in it as well as the nutrients to fight the winter weeds that will be sprouting in October. So late September early October is the kind of the you know, the gun goes off and the race begins. Let's get that done. But I do want to say if you're do overseeding, which I do not recommend people overseed their lawn with rye grass or whatever. If you're going to do that, you don't want to put a pre emergent down and then overseed because the premergant will work that overseed is a weed in the lawn, which is one reason I don't recommend doing it. But just be aware of that. And that's with any pre emergent that you might use if you are looking for an outstanding product for transplanting and fall is for planting Nutristar Genesis. It's one of the products that comes in the clear jug the jar, and Nutristar Genesis works very well at helping those plants move in. It's got microise of fungi in there to form a relationship with the roots and make the plant more successful in taking up water and nutrients. And then finally nutri Star Vegetable Garden. Hey, it's fall gardening time. We're you know, we're not far away at all. In fact, now is the time we could be planning the blue leaf vegetables, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, courabie coming up a little bit. That is going to be some of the winter greens that we put in, like spinnerton. Let us carrots coming up right now. You can be putting out charred and you can be putting out a lot of other things. But you know, the vegetable garden product called nutri Star Vegetable Garden, that is an outstanding product to give you a slow release of nutrients over time and just to help you have a more beautiful garden from the folks at Nelson Plat Food. We're going to go now to Fort Ping County and talk to Lee. Hello, Lee, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Hey, good morning, sir. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm well, Thank you, glad to hear that.
Speaker 14: Look.
Speaker 8: I talked to you a couple of weeks after Barrel. I had a Texas Mountain Laurel that got laid down by the wind and it was still alive. You told me how to take care of it, which was I basically stood it back up and I staked at three sixty root stimulator this type of thing. Anyway, you know, I'm shocked in a maze, but the darn thing is just still alive. It's thriving.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 8: My question is this long term?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 8: I think you told me it needs to be staked for several years long term. Is there anything I should be doing to it? Or do I just leave it alone and let it go? And what I'd like to do is hang up and listen because it's hard to hear on this phone.
Speaker 2: All right, Lee, you take care.
Speaker 8: Hey, thank you. I appreciate it you met.
Speaker 2: So we've had some storms that have knocked some trees over and kind of the standard advice for those of you hearing that call and going, oh, I've got a tree that got knocked over in this hurricane or something, do remember this. If the tree is under about three years old, you're probably going to be able to stand it up and it go forward. If it gets older than that, and there's not a magic thing that changes, you know at three years and one day, but that's kind of a rough guy. The older it gets, the harder it is to do. And that past three years, I'd say you probably need to pull it up and just get you a new tree. Some people are very determined and they'll make something work. But once a tree is stood up, now you need it to grow a strong root system because remember it didn't have a strong enough root system to withstand that storm that knocked it over. So what happens when another storm comes. You need a root system that's even better than the one you had before. Do you see what I'm saying, And so it's going to take several years to get that. You want the tree to be able to move a little bit in the wind if it can, because that is important, but continue to just give it time to get roots way out in all directions and to become strong roots where they have some structural support. So again three years is not a magical number, but I would probably leave at stake for about that long and then just kind of watch it, maybe maybe have a steak, but some and that you know, it's very loose. I can move a little bit, but at the same time, if it goes too far that stake, we'll catch it for it moves very far at all. That's just my advice on doing that. And by the way, if you have tree issues of any kind, Affordable Tree Service Martin and his wife Joe, by the way, they're the owners. They still answer their own phone. And so if you call Affordable Tree here's a number seven one three six nine nine twenty six sixty three, you are going to get Martin r. Joe. If you don't hang up, you call the wrong place. Seven to one three. I'm saying this again, seven one three six nine nine twenty six sixty three. If you like to do things via the web, or you didn't write the phone number down aff Tree Service dot com A f F the first letters in Affordable aff Tree Service dot com. Guardline customers are the top priority. Let him know you're a gardenline customer. Martin stays busy because he does a good job. That's it. He can come out and he can You know, there will be a charge to come out and look at the property and look at the trees and give you advice. If you hire him to do something, the come out fee, it just goes into the cost. Okay, he can do consultations, he can do pruning, deep root feeding, pest control, stop grinding. If you lost trees during that last storm, just know that you need to call Martin an Affordable Tree. And if you had just bought a low piece of property and you've got beautiful trees on it and you want to build a house, you have to talk to someone that knows what they're doing before the folks come in and start making trenches and doing all the things that are so hard on trees that have been grown in a forest. Do not let a builder get on the property to start work until you've had Martin come out from Affordable Tree to take a look. I just can't stress the importance of that enough. I have seen over my thirty five years and an agro life Extension horse culture agent on many occasions, Big beautiful natural tree out there in the forest. They build a house, sometimes even going around the tree kind of and then that tree dies. And if you think it's expensive to bring a tree down, how about bringing a tree down that is hanging all over your house. Yeah. Yeah, the risks go up. And they built the house there for that because of that tree, and now they don't have it. So I just beg people before you build, have somebody come out. And Martin isn't outstanding somebody to come out and do that kind of consultation for you. I hope I have, you know, hammered that home well enough. I was out putting some of the nectar defender that's a wild bird's product, nectar defender in my bird hummingbird feeders and have a little bit of sugar water in there for them, and I just put a little bit by the way. And here's why, because that stuff doesn't last forever. But nectar defender instead of it going bad the sugar water in the hot weather we're having, that goes bad pretty quick. In a hummingbird feeder, nectar defender extends it out. It's just one of the products that you can get from wallbirds. This is the time when the Baltimore orioles are coming through. They are making their migration as well as are the hummingbirds. Get those feeders out. Go to a Wallbirds. Get you the high perch hummingbird feeder. That's my favorite one high perch hummingbird feeder. Buy some of their quality blends and you will see that this stuff really does work. Cheap bird seed full of the low red bebies. You don't get your money's worth out of it because the birds are kicking half the stuff or more out of the feeder looking for something they want to eat. When you go to Wallbirds and you buy a pound of feed, you get a pound of stuff going into the birds tummy, and it just is an economical way to do that. I'm going to be at Wallbirds at clear Lake by the way, two day Wildbirds clear Lake and now if you don't know where that one is, it's at the corner of clear Lake City Boulevard and El Dorado Boulevard. I'll be there at eleven thirty to one thirty. I'll answer your gardening questions. Uh, you can come into a wad bird store and see what I keep bragging about. I will also if you bring some samples in in a bag. If you bring pictures in on your phone, come on out and see a landscape, you're free to go to call it seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r H. I excuse me. I was talking about soil and the importance of the brown stuff and whatnot. And azemite is a product designed to put the micros in the soil that you will need for successful plant growth.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know some elements we need in large numbers. Those are the three on the fertilizer bag. Nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, Those are the ones we need the most of. But there are other elements that are secondary, like calcium, you know, like sulfur for example. Then there's micro nutrients that you just need a tiny trace of. You know how many times has someone said, oh, I need to go get some manganese fertilizer for the long A plant can't grow without manganese. Most lungs have it in them. But what's the level as amite we recommend putting down because it is something that builds the bank account in the soil. So as those other nutrients are pushing the plant to grow, that plant has a bank account of all the micros that it needs. And Azamite Texas dot com is the website for it. If you want to make it easy for yourself and fall fertilizing season, just do your fertilizing, come back, add the microlife to your hopper. Don't mix fertilizer with the microlife. Particle size is different. Uh, and then do the microlife. You can do microlife microlife. What I've been saying, azamite, you can dazimite any time of the year. You know, I have these these companies in my heads and it just kind of some times. Asmit Texas dot com is a website, and just add that Azmit the micro nutrient, the trace mineral supplement to your lawn. Again, what are we doing. We're building a micro's bank account, micronutrient bank account in the soil. And that's what azimite does. By the way, it's available everywhere. You hear me talk about feed stores, you hear me about garden centers, talking about ACE hardware stores, talking about I WAS Fertilizer and all those places. It's easy to find, easy to find. Okay, We're going to go now to Northwest Houston and talk to Daryl.
Speaker 14: Hello Daryl, good morning, Skip. Hey, I had a question about a weed called surge. How to get rid of it and not damage Augustine lawn.
Speaker 2: Okay, Actually there's a p in there. It's spurge. Uh and it anybody's wondering if you have spurge, If you have a little weed, do you think maybe spurge. Just break off a little you know, branch on it, and if white milky sap comes out, that's spurge. Spurge receeds profusely and if you're lunch.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what my wife said.
Speaker 14: But I haven't seen I've been digging this stuff. I've been trying to uh huh do it by hand. I don't like putting out chemicals. But I haven't seen any white milky SAPs.
Speaker 2: So this may not be the Taylor period.
Speaker 14: Looks when you mow it, it looks pretty good with the grass. Like you said, you keep them moded.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that's definitely that's definitely not spurge.
Speaker 14: Darryl.
Speaker 2: Let's do this. I'm gonna put you on hold and Chris will give you my email and if you can take some pictures of it, if you.
Speaker 14: Okay, I have your email, I can send some pictures.
Speaker 2: Get them to me pretty quick, get up clos right and see what it is. And then and then you're certainly welcome to call back.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, thank you, Yes.
Speaker 2: Sir, We're gonna go to Donald now in Houston.
Speaker 4: Hello, Donald, How are you doing this morning? Sir?
Speaker 2: I'm well, thank you?
Speaker 14: All right.
Speaker 21: I've got some problem with I can't keep the squash bugs off my squash plants out of What are going to do?
Speaker 2: Now? Are these the bugs that you see gathered all around crawling all over the plant? Or are you talking about the thing that the worm tunnels inside the vine and makes the worms? Okay, all right, that particular insect is a squash vine borer, and it's a challenge to control. You're gonna need to spray it, but you don't want to kill the bees that are pollinating your squash. So what people usually will do is late in the day they will spray, but just spray the vines because that's where the worm enters, near the base. They can enter further down the vine, but the moth lays egg there. The worm hatches out and crawls inside and feeds, and before you know it, you got big problems. If you start, if you see that little wet sawdust looking goo that's coming out of the vine, if you will split the vine lengthwise with your knife the same direction as the vine, kind of pull it open, you can take the tip of your knife and just stab the thing and kill it. And that's kind of an after the fact surgery fix. But a lot of people do that because no matter what you spray and try to do, you're gonna miss a few. But sprays that contains spinosid or BT will control that product. BT though only lasts about a day, and so you just have the spray. Spray spray, So I would I would probably go with the spinosid. But any insecticide you know from seven dust do you name it will kill those things. But boys things like seven dusts or they'll kill bees too, and so be really careful. The reason I say late day is because they're no blot they're no blooms open. It's the next morning that the new day's blooms are open, okay.
Speaker 21: And then I have this other this other stuff is I think it's called dove weed or something, Okay, in my court yard.
Speaker 2: Look looks kind of like Saint Augustine, but a little more fleshy kind of leaf.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, sir, okay, it's just taken over.
Speaker 15: I don't know how to control it, an't there.
Speaker 2: There there's a cinnamon based product called Agrillon that can be sprinkled on wet dove weed leaves. So you have to turn on, sprinkle a little bit, get them wet, and then you sprinkle it on sticks to the leaf and it turns the black really quick. Now, if you got a big area of it, it's probably gonna be a little cost prohibitive and also time prohibitive to go sprinkling cinnamon dust on these on these particular weeds. So then you would need to switch to a herbicide that's post emergent. And the product I would recommend for that weed is called celsius, like the temperature celsius.
Speaker 21: Okay, all right, because I kind of did some research on it and seen that celsius stuff come up.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's right.
Speaker 2: It's not cheap, but it works, okay, all right?
Speaker 21: And then one other one other, how do I keep my wife happy?
Speaker 4: All year?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, on guard line I give free gardening advice. I will do marriage counseling. But that is of one thousand dollars an hour, So do we want to continue this school?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna pass on that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm gonna stay way the heck away from that one too, because I don't want to get in the middle of this. That's funny. Hey, thanks Donald, I appreciate it.
Speaker 21: You've been very help I have a good day.
Speaker 2: You bet, you bet? Bye bye, oh wow. RCW Nurseries is the garden center that's there where Tambo Parkway comes into Beltwegh eight and it is an outstanding place. They've got sales on trees and shrubs and even centrists and things like that. Right now, it's planting season coming. It's time to buy some of those products, and r CW grows their own trees. I've been Plantersville, and I tell you it is the kind of garden center where you go in you're gonna get expert advice. You're going to find products too there, like the fertilizers I recommend. But you're going to find some really nice plants and some really friendly people too. RCW nurseres it's the garden center that's where FM two forty nine Tomball Parkway comes into Beltway. H really really easy to get to you right down there, go by and check them out because they have some really cool stuff. Let's see here, boy, Laura, I'm going to have to go to top of the hour break. You will be first when I come back. Okay, thanks for your patients. We look forward to talking to you right after the break. Well, a while ago, I was talking with Lee down in Fort ben County, and I was going to mention to him and all of you. The second annual Strawberry Jamboree by the Extension Service the Horticulture Department in Brazoria County is going to be at the Lake Jackson Rec Center on Lake Drive, Lake Jackson, Texas. October is Strawberry Planning Season go down September twenty first, eight a M to TWOPIM learn about this. It's a pre program. By the way, there'll be a strawberry shortcake contest as well. They're gonna have exhibitors. You can even pre order strawberry plugs if you would like. They'll come in in time to get the planning done. Here's a phone number nine seven nine eight six four fifteen fifty eight. Give them a call. I was there last year and it was a blast.
Speaker 1: You kzy rh guarden Line with Skimmed Richard.
Speaker 3: It's just watching as.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, welcome back. Here we are on garden Line. We're entering our third hour this morning. I will be here until ten o'clock and at that time I'm gonna jump in the car and head out to the clear Lake wild Birds Unlimited. Clear Lake wild Birds Unlimited. I hope you'll come out there and see me. It is at the corner if you got your little maps ready, It's at the corner at clear Lake City Boulevard and Eldorado Boulevard. We're giving away a lot of stuff and also answering your gardening questions when you come out. Nelson Water Garden and Nursery out there in Katie, Texas is a place that you just need to visit. It is magical. I could go out there. In fact, I think they ought to charge as to just go sit and listen to the sound of water. It would be like a therapy session. Uh. And that's what water does for us.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: They have the fish, they've got the plants that you put in water, and then they've got this big the thing they invented that big urn that has water coming out the top, rolling down the sides and recirculating, recirculating fountain.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: They've got those out there, a lot of options. They can come and do that kind of work for you at your landscape, or they can tell you how to do it. You can do it either way. If you're a big do it yourself, or you can do it yourself. They are on Katie Fort Ben Road, So if you're heading out ten from Houston, you just turn to the left or right, turn to the right north on Katie Fort Ben Road and they're just a hop, skipping or jump right down the street. Two eight one three nine one forty seven sixty nine two eight one three nine one forty seven sixty nine or Nelson Watergardens dot com Nelsonwatergardens dot com. All right, we're gonna head now out too if I can find my what's going on here? Okay, well I have a computer mouse that is running wild. We're gonna here we go. We're gonna go out and talk to Laura. Hello, Laura, thanks for waiting. Welcome to garden Line. Good sir, thank you.
Speaker 22: Ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Beautiful fine, Hey Laura, I'm sorry I'm sorry to interrupt you. Your voice is faint and it's cutting in and out. Uh okay, okay.
Speaker 22: About ten years ago.
Speaker 6: Gave me.
Speaker 23: Bulbs to a.
Speaker 24: Fine that she had brawn, and the bulbs were they were hard, and they were a little bit bigger than the ball ball and brown, and I can't moved and didn't take any with me, And so I've been looking everywhere for him and I can't seem to find them.
Speaker 22: Whuend you happen to know what that might be?
Speaker 15: And where am I? Fine?
Speaker 12: One?
Speaker 2: So it's a bulb, only big as a golf ball or a little bigger, and it grows the vine.
Speaker 22: It grows the vine.
Speaker 2: Can you describe the leaves on the vine.
Speaker 22: They almost look like a regular green ivy leaf, but they're a little bit darker. They're kind of heart shaped. And I looked up sweethearts, okay, vines too, but they don't they don't look the same.
Speaker 2: Do they make little bulbs up on the vine in the tree?
Speaker 4: Yes, sir?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's an air potato, an air potato, yes, And that's that's what you're looking for.
Speaker 22: And I guess we could find those.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, you know, I don't I don't see air potatoes and gardener centers very often. Uh, in some parts of the country, they're they're invasive and people don't like to plan them for that reason. Uh that those potatoes or the which you're calling the bulb is actually an air store storage device up on the vine.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know who who carries those off hand. You may just have to call around a little bit.
Speaker 6: Ah, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sometimes sometimes just you know, community plant sales might have something like that. Okay, Yeah, and hey, if any if any garden centers that carry them in are listening, let me know and I'll say that on the air, Laura, just keep listening and maybe maybe someone will call in. All right, thank you for the for the question. All Right, let's see here. I what was I I'm gonna go. Let me go out to Paul in Missouri City. Next. Here we go, Paul, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 15: Hello Skip. I have two questions. First, one is my lagustrum plant.
Speaker 4: I got some.
Speaker 15: Leaves that are yellowing and some of the leaves have dark brown spots on them. Now, these these bushes are like twenty five years old, and I may have fertilized them once with those fertilizing spikes, maybe ten years ago. So what can I do to help that plant back?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you are talking about a wax leaf lagostrum, and that is a fungal disease called sarcospera leaf spot. It's a fungal leaf spot. They are very prone to it. Anytime the foliage gets wet, those spots can land, the spores can land on the leaf, and when they're kept a little wet, then they sprout and grow. The controls for it you're not going to like, but I'll tell you raking up all the fallen leaves because they have spores on them, try to reduce that a little bit, uh, and then spraying them every time it rains right after it quit training. Uh, then go ahead and get a funge side on the leaves. And there are a couple of products. There's one called dak oil and there's one called belaton and those two alternating between those two can keep that leaf spot in check. But like I said, nobody wants to have to go out and spray their shrubs every time it rains.
Speaker 15: Okay, now I have the what was the name of the other.
Speaker 2: One, Belaton B A Y L E T O N. Well part of Houston.
Speaker 15: I'm gonna here in Missouri City and be the.
Speaker 2: West of Yeah, go go southwest Feed and Paralyzer on the corner of Businestt and Renwick. And I guarantee you about Scott Ballaton.
Speaker 15: Good. Yes, that's my go to place anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good, all right, good look yeah.
Speaker 15: The second question is a plant. Suggest I would like to put a plant in the front of the house. That would I can control the size of it. I want to get it to be about four feet tall, and one that would flower white flowers or cream color flowers.
Speaker 2: A five foot tall plant with wide or cream colored flowers, right.
Speaker 15: What would you suggest there?
Speaker 2: Let's see here, Well, boy, that's a I'm have to think about that one a little bit. Nothing is actually coming to mind, and it should you know, as all just have white flowers. They don't get that tall.
Speaker 15: The well, you know, I mean like maybe four feet three four feet.
Speaker 2: There is a plant? Is this fairly shady or real sunny?
Speaker 15: It only catches the sun from about three o'clock by the time the fun rolls over to the front of the house.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a plant called English dogwood, and don't think of it like our dog woods that we have here. It's a very different kind of plant. I don't even know if they're related, but that would be one that could do and a part shade, part sun location. And it's got white flowers bigger than the golf ball, maybe not tennis ball size, but somewhere in the middle of there. And that would be one that you could find around town. You're up there or yeah you no, you're down in Missouri City. Yeah, so I'd try one of the enchanteds out there in Richmond, Rosenberger, Chenning Forest and China Gardens. Call them first before you drive all out.
Speaker 15: Yeah, very good, very good. All right, thank you, thank you for this suggestion.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And they're probably going to have ten more things that aren't just that just aren't coming to my mind that would fit that bill. Yeah, all right, I got to run to a break. I'll be right.
Speaker 1: Back starting you a morning with the hottest happening.
Speaker 2: In the Tamboil area, especially out west twenty All these neighborhoods have gone in out there. You probably already know D and D feed and supply, but they have everything that you're gonna need when you go in there, like Skip talked about nitropos, Skip talked about airloom soils, Skip talked about Microlive for turf Star or Medina. They got all that landscaper's pride products out there. It's just a place where you go and you get everything you need to help you have a very beautiful garden and a bountiful garden as well, and for things like your lawn. They're set up and they've got the timely products for the season. At D and D Turf and Feed. They're about three miles west of two forty nine out twenty nine to twenty family owned. It's been opened since nineteen eighty nine. When the dovers open that up, they've expanded. Of course, you need any kind of livestock feed or pet food, very high end lines of dog food for example, like Origin and Diamond and Victor and Star. Pro D and D Feed and Supply is the place also where you can get the products you to control pests and diseases and weeds. They have a very good selection. I stopped by the other day. I always do that on our sponsors and just see how they're doing and see what they're carrying. And I was very surprised at the amount of stuff for managing problems in the landscaping, garden and lawn the D and D feed has. I'm gonna head out now, let's go to Jersey Village and we're gonna talk to Carrie. Hello, Kerry, welcome to Guarden Line.
Speaker 23: Hi, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: You Bat.
Speaker 19: I have a tree.
Speaker 23: I rent my house first of all, so my homeowners don't really do anything with my yard. And I have a beautiful oak tree right at my house in my driveway. And I noticed, and I've loved our seven years. I've noticed the last I guess a year and a half, the bark down on the trunk of the tree I guess about five four or five feet up is starting to fall off, and underneath it and it's just about the size of a hand, a large man's.
Speaker 2: Hand, okay.
Speaker 23: And you can see in it it's like an orange, like a almost like a rest color. And I don't see any bugs or anything in there, and I just I don't know what to do.
Speaker 25: I don't know if.
Speaker 23: It's healthy or if it's dining. How it can help it because it's so close to the house. I really I don't want it to fall someday and it's survived all these winds, I mean, no problems, barely drops.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh are you seeing that the tree is trying to callous? That over the like a lava flow coming in from the sides to close over that that wound? Has that started outing?
Speaker 23: Okay, No, it's just and it's not getting any bigger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Carrie, I need to I need to see it too, because I don't think I'm picturing what you're seeing. Uh So, can I put you on hold and have you give get up my email address and send me some good clear photos up close, maybe one of the whole tree, but then real close, well focused photos. A lot of things can kill the bark on a section of the tree, and that just naturally happens. And there are different kinds of fungi that can cause a decomposition and have different coloring to them. But I'm not going to guess on this one. Let you take a look at some pictures and we can take it from there, and if you email me then I can just email you back the information what it is and if anything's needed what to do.
Speaker 26: Okay, Okay, all right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Chris, they'll be right with you to give you the email. Fall means that it's time to be thinking about fall fertilization on our lawns. And if you look at my schedule at the website Gardening with Skip dot com, you will see that there's a fall fertilization. And for the organic products, I bumped them a little bit earlier to give them a little bit of a headstart because they do naturally microbially decompose, releasing some of the nutrients that are in them. Microlife has a product called Microlife brown Match five to three fertilizer five to one three. Remember and fall, we are lowering the nitrogen and we're raising the potassium the last number on the bag. And Microlife brown Patch is easy to apply. You like to get it down because has a lot of microbes in it and that's going to be helping you in many ways in your lawn. You want to get that down before we hit the brown patch season, and so late September early early October be a great time to apply Microlife brown Patch. It's in kind of a brown bag, makes it really easy. Both the bag and there's also canisters of it if you want the little jars of plastic jars. You probably need a whole bag though to treat your lawn, and I think you will find really good results with it. It's just another one of those successful and microbe laden products from Microlife that takes a natural approach to growing your lawn and to controlling issues that you might have in your lawn. Listening to Gardenline, our phone number is seven to one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. I. You know, we talk about a lot of different kinds of products and things here on garden Line and Heirloom Soils. I just am always impressed with the breadth of products that they have, the quality of products that they have. You know, if you need a rose a blend, if you need a veggie and herb mix, they got that. You need something for cacti or for indoor plants, a potting soil, the works potting soil is what they call it, or outdoor plants and a container the works potting soil is excellent for that. Compost blends, a shale compost in shale blends as well. All available from available from Airloom Soils. The website Airloomsoils Off Texas dot Com Airlomsoilsoftexas dot Com. When you go there, you can see all the products and you got a really handy calculator. So if you're going to create a bed this fall, hey falls the time to plant. I hope you are get a quality Mex. Remember brown stuff before green stuff. Get a quality Mex from Heirlooms Soils Off Texas dot Com. They can fix you up. Their bags are available widespread through the Houston area. They also deliver bulk or you can go and pick it up yourself at Heirloom Source off Texas dot Com. That makes it easy. It's a lot easier. In fact, I was out in the Montgomery area the other day and I stopped in at A and A Plants and Produce. I always like to visit with the folks, and as I said earlier today, you know, find out what do you got? What's in stock and stuff? And I'm telling you their selection of fertilizers. I nothing that I mentioned on garden Line is kind of everything I mentioned on Garland. You're going to find it in A A and A Plants and Produce. They just had gotten some beauty full astors in and you know mom season is coming on us asters as well. They have the kinds of plants you would plant in the fall for carrying you into the cool season. And they got the advice there from folks that know what they're talking about. Again. Ana plants and produces on the east side of Montgomery on Highway one oh five, just on the edge of town there. It's really easy to get to. If you've driven down one oh five, you passed one hundred times. But for all of you out there, especially those of you up in the Lake Conroe neighborhoods, they this is your place, this is your hometown garden center. And they also come out and do some landscaping work around the Lake Conroe area too. So just call them, stop in talk to them about that. We're gonna now go to the woodlands and talk to Tommy. Hello, Tommy, Hello there, how are you. I'm good good. I was grabbing a pin. Always good to have a pin when you're talking on guardline.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 27: Well, thank you for taking my call. Yeah, so, I don't know if you saw my notes, But the main question I have, two part question, was Virginia button weed seems to be all over the lawn and I looked it up and there's you know, all these different remedies. Yeah, some of them are pretty pricey, but I know what your thoughts were on that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Virginia button weed is hard to control, and even the stuff that works, you're probably gonna have to do it twice. On that stuff. We see it during the summertime when it's really actively growing. It's around you know other times, but and during the summertime. The products that are often recommended for it are just too hard on your Saint Augustine lawn and we just use them in that heat. That's why I'm generally recommending Celsius for Virginia button weed. Plus in the university trials I've seen Celsius has led the pack over things like two four D and other Broadly, if we control products, Okay, it's not cheap. You can buy it in a little little packet. You know, it's in a I don't know, sugar packet and a good description, but something like a long sugar packet, and you got you can treat a lot of weeds with that. So if you got any other weeds, you can do that. Sometimes I'll split the packet in half a packet does a gallon, and a gallon goes a long way, a long way when you're spot treating weeds in your garden. But that helps break the price down a little bit. But it works. And just be ready about six weeks later to hit it again this time of the year. By six weeks later, it's probably going to be cooling off quite a bit, so I might be ready in spring to do a treatment when you first see the button weed present, and then about six weeks after that.
Speaker 27: Okay, great, And is it one of those you put in a pumper.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I would, yeah, in a hose end. That's just too much volume of water. Okay for targeting on some weeds like this.
Speaker 4: Okay, great.
Speaker 27: And the other other part of my question is it certainly it's not a giant backyard, but it's are real dry, real dead looking, you know, brown and yellow and mainly almost brown. Now, okay, you know that those are certain areas, not the whole lawn, even not over where the button weed is, but just kind of in the other areas. It's odd enough if it was a disease or or what you know, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It could be. It could be a lot of things.
Speaker 23: You know.
Speaker 2: Chinchbugs will kill grass. Take all root rot will kill grass. That's a disease.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Most of the other diseases don't kill the grass. The summer diseases. We we've got gray leaf spot that we deal with at certain times, okay, and the brown patch circles in the fall, large patch and fall in spring. Mostly those don't kill grass either. So if it's dying, it's either a drought or disease, or possibly an insect called the chinchbug. Chinchbugs their populations are going down, but they're still around. So okay.
Speaker 27: Well, I wouldn't think it would be drought, right because it's it's been raining fairly often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well, good luck with that. Hey there, I'm up against a heartbreak here, Tommy. Okay, so I wish well, thank you, Thank you a lot for the call. We're about to go to the news, folks. Gene, I'll be coming to you first up when we come back, and then we'll get to John and Tomball. All right, folks, here comes the news. Thanks for oh by the way, phone number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four Well seven one three two one two KT r H. And we are going to head out to close to the heights and talk to Gene. Hey, Gene, welcome to Guardland.
Speaker 4: SKIP, good morning.
Speaker 28: I had two orange trees, ones of blood orange, ones of satsuma, and they're throwing off limbs with thorns, and they're coming from.
Speaker 2: Above the graft.
Speaker 28: Do I do I cut those tharny limbs off from the from the from the good wood.
Speaker 2: You said satsuma. What was the one before Satsuma?
Speaker 28: It was a blood orange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that it shouldn't be happening. Maybe the graph is higher than it looks on the stem. But prn those off at the base, right up against where they come out of the trunk. Prn the thorny down there. Let let it come up above that.
Speaker 28: Okay, I do have limbs with with no thorns, but again I do.
Speaker 2: Have some with Yeah. Yeah, well, there are different ways that could happen. Number one, the graph could be highed, and you think number two, when a when a plant is planted from a seed or something, when it's rooted or planted from a seed, it's juvenile at the base for a long long time, even though the top matures. I don't think that's what happened on those, but just print them off. That's that's the fast answer. All right, good, thanks sir, Yeah, you bet very good. Yeah that is very Citrus varies. Some citrus is thorny, some citrus is not. They just want to make sure you get a good one that and understand how that should be pruned and groaned and fertilized and everything, because this is a great place to grow centus. Buchanans Native Plants is on Eleventh Street and the Heights. Now, they've been around since nineteen eighty six. They're on eleven Street in the Heights. Here's a website, so I don't forget Buchanansplants dot com. And now why is the website so important? Well, it's because there is so much information on there. You can sign up for the newsletter, which I recommend you do. But you know, when you talk about Buchanans Native plants, we think about natives because they've got the best selection in this whole region of native plants. They do a very good job of that. But Buchanans is way more than just native plants. For example, if you're wanting to plant fall color, you know things like mums for example, Uh. In fact, they have a they have a list of the things that would be great for fall color on the on the some of their social media and you can get to it from the website too.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: Their Fall Fest is coming up Saturday, October fifth. It's a little ways ahead, but I just want to tell you about because this is gonna be one heck of a shindig going on out there. I'll even be there after the show on that Saturday. But that's October the fifth, Saturday. There's going to be costume contests for the kids, and it's at local vendors, hay rides, pumpkins, food trucks, face painting, live music. You get the idea what I'm talking about. It's going to be fun. Stop h Buchanans Native Plants in the Heights Buchanans Plants dot com. You will be surprised at the breadth of information and the smorgasbord of really cool plants that do well here in the Greater Houston area. I'm gonna up now to Tom Ball and talk to John.
Speaker 4: Hello, John, give everyone to skip. How you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well, sir, Thanks for us.
Speaker 4: I've got to like everyone else. Weeds weeds, weeds, and I've got saying Augustine I'm trying to choke out because I'd rather have my bermuda. And somebody suggested quen chlorac. Would that be a good option for that and for crab grass.
Speaker 2: I'm a little hesitant if quen Chlorac products have set augustine on the label, it might. I just I don't want to say, you know, if I'm not sure, and I don't. I don't think it does, but I'm not I'm trying to do it real quick check here. There's a number of different products out there, but my brain is wanting to say maybe not. Let me fucking find something.
Speaker 4: I've been pulling the runners. That'll take me ten years to get all this Saint Augustine out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yep, Saint Augustine. It's the Queen Clark And that doesn't mean ever product is, but it is. There are products with Queen Clark. They're pretty good. I wouldn't use it in the in the heat of summer, but it's a post emergence, so you could use it now on the weeks that are growing in your lawn, or use it in the spring. Kind of Generally we stay away from hot weather with those kind of things. But yep, there's a number of number of products from a number of manufacturers that are that carry that.
Speaker 4: All right, schip, thank you very much, have a good day.
Speaker 2: You bet, thank you. Yeah, I don't kind of threw me a curve there. It's active ingredient question kind of different. Uh. There are a lot of products that are labeled for a lot of things. In fact, let me let me just do a little soapbox. Read the label. That's the fast, fast answer there. Read the label. The label is the law. And if you can't see it a plant on the label, then don't use it on that plant. The label has rates. If a teaspoon is good, a tablespoon is not better. A tablespoon will kill your plants or do damage to your plants, meaning you you know you double or triple up on the amount. Follow the label carefully. It'll tell you things like what temperature can you use this herbicide in. It'll tell you things that are very important to help you have success, like a pre emergent needing to be watered into the surface of the soil. Read the label. A lot of problems occur because people won't read the label. And I know that's boring, and I know us guys, we never stop and ask for directions. Right, Well, read the label. It is very important that Number one, you want it to work right, and the label tells you that you don't want to do damage, and the label guides you away from that. Always read the I don't care if it's an organic product or synthetic product. Read the label. That is very important. And I see so many examples of people that do things that if they'd read the label, they wouldn't have done it. And typically it's a lawn that gets nuked with something instead of having the proper dose done, or they spray twice too close together. The label would say, no, wait this long before you do it again. Read the label. That's the bottom line. That's the advice for the day. That is important. Ace Hardware stores are the kind of place where you go and you find everything I recommend you need for gardens, for lawns, for landscapes, for you know, you name it. Ace Hardware has all of those products. If I talk about a fird, it's going to be at Ace Hardware. And there's forty Ace Hardware stores in the Greater Houston area. Forty so it's easy to find one. Wherever you live, there's gonna be one pretty close. And if you go to ACE Hardware dot Com and find the store locator, you can find the stores near you. But when you're in Ace, you're going to find the fertilizers and the insect control, disease control, weed control products. You're gonna find tools, You're gonna find cool stuff for your patio outdoors. I know it's it's a hardware store. We already know what hardware stores carry. I'm talking about the lawn and garden part of it. They have the products at Ace Hardware and they're so convenient. All right, I'm gonna take a little quick break here seven one three two one two k t r H. I'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Triggered snowflakes, the turds of our society, prepare for a complete meltdown with the Michael Berry Show Monday at eight am and five pm. Stop giving into these dumpy.
Speaker 2: The garden center on two forty nine and Luetta. So if you're on two forty nine going north toward Tombaugh, exit Luetta and crossover Luetta, and it's right there on the right hand side, it's been around for a long time.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 2: The Flowery family has been I believe since nineteen seventy three. That is a long time. They have been part of the community and they know plants. They know what works here, they know what doesn't work here. They've answered ten billion questions from customers and helping customers have success, and that's why they are so highly recommended by their customers. When you go now, you're going to find some really cool fall color, really nice like Croton's for example, the ones that they and of themselves look like harvest season decorated, some beautiful ornamental grasses that you know, the fall is the time for ornamental grasses to put on their big show. They've got that there and just a lot lot more. If you have questions, if you want to bring a sample of something in, put in the bag, bring it in. They'll help you for it with it. They will also if you just have questions or pictures on your phone, they'll help you with that too. Plants for all seasons, great plants, and outstanding service for the community. We're going to head out now to bel Air and talk to Jane. Hey, Jane, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 29: Hello, I have some Asian jasmine that is infested with bermuda grass. Is there anything I can spray on that to kill the bermuda and save the jasmine?
Speaker 2: Yes, there are two products. The easiest way for you to have those products at hand is to go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com. And there's a publication I think it's the first one at the top of the list of my publications. It's called Herbicides for Skip's weed Wiper. Now you're not gonna treat these with a weed wiper, but if you go down the list, it says for grass see weeds what to use, and I'll tell you the names of the ingredients, but just know that at the website, if you forget, you can just print that out and take it to wherever your shopping. One of them is Setosiedim and it's if you look at the first letters or S E T H the boy's name. Okay. The other one is flu as a flop and just remember flu a Z flu as. But go to the website and you'll see those there. I have a list of things that control woody plants, things that control sedges, things that control grasses, things that control underground bulbs like wild onions or wild garlic that comes up in your lawn and it makes it real easy.
Speaker 29: Wow, that's great. Okay, thank you so much. I appreciate it, all right, Jane.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate that. You know, I run into people all the time that haven't been to the website, and I just would really urge you to go bookmark it because I'm always putting new stuff up there, and some of these questions where it's like involved to try to answer or spell things out on the air and stuff, you can just go to the I'm going to be sending you. Go to the website. Go to the website because I take time to put it there and where I can give a better answer than I do in a very short phone call answer. So that is my request if you will do that. I know you want to have success with a fall garden and with beautiful flower beds and with a lawn that just looks good. And the thing you need to remember on success with any of these plants is you want them to be in the amount of sunlight they want, You want them to be maintained and the way that they like, and you want them to be in a quality soil. Fact, that's first quality soil. If you've never grown a vegetable garden, why not do one this year? Why not do it? I mean, vegetable gardens are They are a blast And think can you think of a better way to eat than out of stuff you grew yourself? What is fifteen fifteen hundred miles closer than where the grocery store stuff came from? September late September is when we're planting things like the blue leaf vegetables, the col crops super super high on nutrition, cancer fighting characteristics as well, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, co robbie collars, kale, all that. This is prime time. Get that done now. It's important. Maybe a bulb type or a swollen root type crop like beets, they can go in now, Turnips can go in now, Radishes can begin to go in as well. Those are all good for the cool season. When we cool off a little bit, we'll bump it a little bit later into the season and start planning spinach. When thing's kind of cool off, spinach picky about the heat. Lettuce can go in at that time. Have you ever grown a regular rugula? Also called rocket or roquat rocket. I believe arugula is a wonderful little green that you use sparingly in a salad for just adding a zip to the salad, and you know, we slather our salad, the typical American salad. What is it? It's iceberg, lettuce, some tomatoes that grew way far away and had to be hard enough to be shipped, and maybe some cut up cucumbers on it. Why not mix a lot of different greens in a salad growing yourself. You have flavors just from the green. Sorrel can be planted now. It loves cool weather, and sorrel gives a lemoni taste to your salads. The rugular by the way, it's kind of a nutty and as it gets a little older, it's kind of hot, little peppery flavor as well. You can grow something called corn salad. I don't know why they named it that. It's just a green that grows in cool seat. And you can grow plantain greens in the cool season. There's just a lot of wonderful greens that you can grow and make your salads just really sing with stuff you grew yourself. And if you don't want to make a big garden in the backyard. Maybe you don't have room, or maybe you just don't want to plow up that much of the lawn to make this big garden. You can garden and raise beds. You can get you one of the metal raised beds like a veggo bed. Set it on concrete if you want, and you can grow stuff in it. It does really well if you want to use containers. Pretty much every vegetable can be grown in a container. Some it takes a larger container, but in the cool season. Oh, I grew carrots last year in a container. I'd never grown carrots in a container before, and I did last year and they did well. It was a very kind of a taller container. It happened to be kind of thin, but carrots grew well in it. In a good mix. Grow onion as the green onions, the chives as well. That great for flavoring. I like chop up chives and scrambled eggs. I think that's a great way to use chives, and also soups and things. Why not grow some stuff if you've never been a vegetable gardener before, and if you don't want to go all in in this big vegetable garden. Try containers or just try raise bed. You can put some herbs in it. We have some rosemary and a raised bed that's kind of cascading over the side of a raised bed, and the summer flowers that have been in there for a long time are about to be it all pulled out, and that thing is going to be a major salad and soup garden if you will for the cool season. It's fun and I don't know, there's something rewarding about growing those things yourself. You know you did it yourself. And if you got kids, get them involved. Get kids involved in gardening. You know, we are more likely to eat things grow and kids that might turn their nose up at something, if they grit theirself, there's a better chance they're probably going to want to eat it and try it out, or they will enjoy giving the certain if you produce a lot of something, they'll enjoy give it away to friends and family and neighbors and whatnot. But get kids involved in gardening. They need to get their hands dirty. It will lead to a healthier life. Our number one here I'm on a soapbox again. Our number one health problem in this country is because of stuff that goes in our mouth, the way we eat fast food and a lot of other processed types of things. When you grow your own garden, you can turn that around. High fiber and up right now I'm picking my okra. Still hope it holds on for a long time because okra has soluble fiber and it's got the insoluble fiber. Two different ways that okra helps us. But that's just one example. Have a cool season garden. Let's do that. You go to a garden center. They'll get your pot if you need one, They'll get you the soil. They're going to carry the soils that you need to put in a pot, and they're going to have the seeds if you want to plant those, or the transplants if you want to do that. Just get out and have fun. You know, gardening is not rocket science. And if you think you have a brown thumb, you don't. You have an uninformed thumb. Keep listening to garden Line and we will help inform your thumb and suddenly you'll find just how easy gardening can be a lot of fun in the process. I want to remind you that today after this show, is over. I'm going to head to the clear Lake Wallbirds Unlimited, Clearelake Wallbirds Unlimited the corner of El Dorado and clear Lake City. So for all of you down in that direction south and to the east, little bit friends would in Pairland now saw By sebor Keenan Bakecliffe League City, all of that, Deer Park, Laporte. Come on out to the Wallbirds Unlimited in Claire Light. I'll be given away a lot of good stuff. They're They're throwing in some Nectro defender, a variety of seed blends and some other things. I'm going to be bringing away some products, bringing some products myself to give away. And I'm mainly there to answer your gardening questions and to meet you. Put a face behind the voice on the radio. Well, come on out to clare Lake the wa Bird's Unlimited. Bring a bring some plants in a bag for I D bring some photos on your phone for questions. Come on out eleven thirty to one thirty elder Ola Boulevard in Houston.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program. Welcome to kat r H Guarded Line with Scared Richard.
Speaker 3: It's trim just watch him as so many backs.
Speaker 2: They're not a sad Welcome back to Guarden Line, folks, welcome back. We're glad to have you with us today.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Before I went to break there, I was talking about being at the Wall Birds Unlimited out in clear Lake. Uh, Clearlake. It's I mentioned that's on the corner of El Dorado and clear Lake City Boulevard. That I think the address they go by is a Clearlake City address, But I'll tell you another way. You can find it. When you're at that intersection. There's a big ol'a g B and it's right across the street from that, right across El Dorado from the big old at. It's easy to find. So come on out and let's talk about the things that are of interest to you.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Nitrofoss has a really cool thing for fall, and it's called the Texas three Step. Three steps, Three things you need to be doing in the fall. One of them is their Nitrofoss Fall Special Winter Riser. That is a product that has a different ratio of nutrients than we've been fertilizing through the ear. Fall fertilization is different. We want more potassium because potassium gives winter heartiness and it also helps the lawn to go into winter strong and to come out strong. Just hear this. Your spring lawn new growth is based on the fertilization that it got last fall. How strong did it go into winter? How strong is it going to come out of winter. We do spring fertilizing and summer fertilizing and whatnot, but fall fertilization is very important for that. And Nitropus fall special winterizer is that step two nitropous barricade to stop weeds from ever getting a start all the cool season. Weeds that in the spring are growing big and blooming and everything they're controlled are prevented best prevented in the fall with barricade. If you wait until they're big and growing in blooming, you're going to have trouble controlling them. So why not just prevent them with a fall application of barricade. And then the finally nitrofoss eagle turffund deicide. It's a systemic fund, decide. It moves into the plant's tissues and it protects against large patch of brown patch, the big circles everybody talks about. And it also has a pretty good effect on take all root rot and if you look at my schedule all that stuff I talk about when to do it and when to do it for the take all root rot and the and the patch disease, we're talking about October. That's the prime time to get that done. And you can get it all done with Nitrofoss's three step. You go to Cyprosaces Hardware, You're going to find it. You go to Plantation Hardware down there in Rosenberg, Richmond Rosenberger, You're going to find it down there as well. Nitropos three step all three makes it easy. One two three, go home with three bags. You are listening to Gardenline our phone number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four as easy as that. If you have some questions about how to successfully garden, how does successfully grow vegetables, I'd start by asking your garden centers, the places where you buy stuff, They're going to be able to tell you how to do it. You can certainly call garden Line ask a question here if you want, But your Egglife Extension office is also a good source of information on things like that. You got county agents in every county and this whole listening area, and in a number of the counties you got a horticulturist Montgomery County, Harris County out there in Orange, down in Brazoria and Fort Bend and Galveston Counties. What did I say, Montgomery. I don't think I left anybody out. They have horticulture agents that can help you. There's also a website called Aggie Horticulture. Aggi Horticulture is a wonderful website. When you go to it, it's aggihyphen Horticulture dot TAMU dot edu. Forget all that, Just type in AGGI horticulture into a search and you'll find it. On the front page. There is gardening information, I mean a button for vegetable gardening, and there is a publication on everything you could possibly want to grow, from a regular to zucchini. It is all there on the Aggihorticulture website. There's a section on fruit too, that is the same thing. Free publications, easy to find talks about how to grow all those things. Why not take advantage of that free information. We're going to go to Lake Conroe now and talk to Joanne. Hello, Joanne, Welcome to Guarden line.
Speaker 30: Thank you say, I have a I believe it's a colist that I rescued from one of the box stores, and it's in a pot and it's been doing okay, but I'm noticing that the stocks are getting woody, and at the tips of some it's really really dark, and I could just break it right off with my fingers at the tip some of the leads are a little bit on the browning side.
Speaker 2: Well, I think a picture would be more helpful here. There are there are some blights that could affects. They're not real common in Colius in general. We don't just see them everywhere.
Speaker 30: But I put some seven on it, and then I did bring a piece over to aa uh there in Montgomery and they said possibly a fertilizer. So other than that, I don't know what else to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I would do that if you. If you want to send me a picture to look out to see if I'm seeing anything, send me one of the whole planet and then a couple up as close as you can get. But before you send them, make sure they're well focused. I'll be glad to look at it. You know, Colius is going to be heading out when it gets cold, but it sure puts on a beautiful fall show. So now's a good time to put Yeah.
Speaker 30: They're nice, and I have little frigs coming out little that I kip off because of the little lavender peaks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well and if you have if you yeah, just hang on. I'm gonna put you on holding, Chris. We'll give you the email. Let me take a look at those pictures before I go recommending something that I haven't even seen the plant. All right, thank you, appreciate that joint. You are listening to garden Line. Our phone number is seven to one three two one two five eight seven four. We're in the last hour this morning. You can listen to guarden Line from six to ten on Saturdays and Sundays. You can listen on the radio. You can listen on your computer. You can listen on an app on your phone. I use the iHeartMedia app and you type in garden Line, and not only can you listen live, but all the past shows are going to be loaded up and you can go back and listen to pass shows if you go to the website route for example, uh and that way, if you missed last week, you can hear last week now if you'd like to do that, tell your friends about garden Line. Our advice doesn't just apply to right now here, and there's a lot of things I think they would be interested in. We do have listeners in a pretty wide area outside the greater Houston area. Also, Fix my Slab Foundation Repair Fix my Slab. That is the go to place if you want to get good advice. If you want to get advice that is going to be let's say, accurate, where they're not just trying to sell you something. Fix my Slab is a place to go. Tie specializes in being on time, giving you a fair price, and fixing it right. And if it doesn't need fixing, he'll tell you that. I've had conversations with him where yeah, that doesn't that's not bad enough to need fixing yet, So call him two eight one, two five five forty nine, forty nine, or just go to the website fixmyslab dot com. Ty's been doing this for twenty three years. So you know, the minute I see cracks in a brick outside, or cracks in the sheet rock inside, or maybe a wall crack, you know, a what am I trying to say? Sticky door? That's the other that means something is shifted significantly and it's time to get tie a call fixmslab dot com ty Strictly, I like being able to recommend compuestion.
Speaker 31: I've been working on here for a transplant. A tree that's kind of growed from from nothing into about oh it's probably about five foot tall now, maybe six, and it's got about.
Speaker 32: An inch inch and a half uh stem coming up, and it's right next to the house, and I just say, man, I just don't want this thing to grow too much further before I take it out. But I want to keep the tree.
Speaker 31: I want to either put it in the pot and transplant it later, or just transplant it someplace else in.
Speaker 4: The yard to where I don't have to worry about.
Speaker 31: It ruining it when I to make sure it doesn't know it'll destroy it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, first of all, let it cool off, let it drop some leaves. Get into November sometime would be a good time to move it. The least stress time of the year is winter on a tree, late late fall, winter early early spring, and so you'll get moved early in that time. You want to cut out as wide out as you can get. Probably if you could get you know, eighteen inches out on both sides all around a tree. What I do is, I like cut out a little trench around the tree, and if you can get it down on a tree like that, if you could get it down to about boy maybe eight inches down below the surface, and then I have a flat shovel that I cut underneath with and then lean it one way with that soil and then slide a tarp under it. Then you cut the other side and you can slide it onto the tarp. See we're trying to avoid picking up that soil. That soil is heavy, and if you pick it up, your chiropractor's kids will have the plenty of money to go to college. Uh yeah, we don't want to. And so so you get it like that, and then on the tarp you can slide it. One guy could could slide a lot a lot of weight across, but get a couple. If you want to have people pick up the four corners of a tarp and carry it, you can do that. But get it to it's a new place. Do you already have a spot where you know you want to plant it?
Speaker 31: Well, I'm fixed to probably sell this place and I want to take that tree with me. So it would it be better if I put it in.
Speaker 2: At yes, like a bigger pot. Yes, that changes what I just said I would. I would pull it up. You're not going to make as big of a circle cutting out because it's got to fit in a pot. Get it in and get some quality mix down in the pot. Some the soil can fall off the roots, that's fine. Put the quality mix around them too. Get it in the pot, Water it and keep it in a shady location for a while, just to minimize the transplant shock. If it doesn't have any leaves on it, it's not going to use much water. Butt you still need to water because those roots will grow all winter to some degree. And so don't let it dry out. Uh. And and then you can take it with you wherever you want to go.
Speaker 31: All right, Well that sounds good.
Speaker 2: That sounds good.
Speaker 31: One of the questions, uh of Saint august or sorry I got Saint Augustine? I got these, uh Virginia button weeds.
Speaker 9: Just I try to.
Speaker 31: Pick them by hand, and I stay ahead of it. But this year I wasn't able to do to some fiscal health problems.
Speaker 2: Yes, and now they're.
Speaker 31: Starting to really they're they're really spreading. Yeah, when's the best time to treat it and what should have.
Speaker 4: Treat it with?
Speaker 2: Okay, Virginia button weed during the growing season, you can it has the foliage out there. You can get a spray on it. Uh and and it works. I would use a product called Celsius, like the temperature Celsius, but do it and you could do it now, hit it now. It's not that weed is hard to kill. And even with Celsius, you can spray it in the spring and then about probably six weeks later read the label. I think it's about six weeks later you spray it again to make sure you got it. But Celsius allows you to spray it in a little bit warmer temperature than most of the other products, and it also works well. Remember Virginia button weed likes wet conditions, so anything you can do to let that soil dry out considerably between waterings will help by not causing it to proliferate so much like it will in wet soil. All right, there we go, Thank you very much for that question. We're going to go to Cheryl in Montgomery.
Speaker 17: Hello, Cheryl, good morning.
Speaker 11: I have four flower beds that are planted exactly the same. But the issue is to them have what I guess some of my neighbors say is nutshage grass. Yes, and it's so thick with it. I've been told pull it, don't pull it, treat it. And then I've also been told to dig it all out and put in new soil because the soil could have brought it in.
Speaker 6: I don't know what to believe.
Speaker 2: Well, if you dig it out, you're gonna have to dig it out a foot deeper, and you may still have a nut or two down below that. But I would I have put together some publications just for this. If you go to my website, Gardening with Skip dot com, you'll see there's tips for winning the War on nuts Edge. That's kind of the real fast, quick, easy one pager, and then there's going nuts over Nutsedge, and that is the three pager, and it explains the different kinds of nuts edge and how we go about controlling it. And here's the deal. If I were to summarize it, this isn't enough information. Go to the publication for that. But if I were to summarize it, I would say jump on it early in the spring and never let it up. For air when you spray and it goes down and here comes some more. When it has three to five leaves, you gotta spray it again. And the products for that are on this publication. Sedgehammer is one example. But what people do is they wait to start controlling it and it proliferates during that weight, or they control it for a while and then they stop and it proliferates during that stopped time. So you got to stay on it, never let it up for air. When it has three to five leaves, it needs to be getting sprayed. And if you stay with that starting in spring, I would spray it now. I sprayed some in my yard just the other day. I would spray it now, but especially in the spring when you first see the nutsedge coming up and it's got three to five leaves, start in on it at that time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So one more question regarding that, what can I do immediately because I'm getting letters from the HOA.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you could spray something that just basically burns the top off, but that's not going to accomplish much. I would appeal to the HOA that you got a product on a sedge hammer. These products that I'm recommending in this sheet. They take a while. It may be two weeks and you're going, oh, that didn't do anything. Oh, yes it did. It's working its way, and that plant will go downhill. I had some I sprayed ten days ago, and I'm barely seeing the first signs of the product. But i know it's the one that's going down there working. Other stuff doesn't get down there and kill the nut. And that's why people spray and say it doesn't work.
Speaker 6: Gotcha, very good, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yes, you bet appreciate your call. Thank you. Yeah, that is the way it is. Let's go out to Conroe now and we're going to talk to Marie. Hello Marie, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 15: Hello Skip.
Speaker 33: I have a question regarding a Wex myrtle tree. I have an area that or a raised bed that's about four and a half feet wide by nine feet long. I've got a dead rose of Sharon there and I'm trying to decide if by shooting instead planta Wex myrtle tree that will give me semi privacy.
Speaker 15: Uh, it is okay.
Speaker 33: And that bed is layered with turks caps and laurel plums and elo cassius. But again, the width is four and a half feet white. Will that be okay for a wax myrtle tree or not?
Speaker 2: So when you say tree, you're you're talking about a single trunk coming up with a top on it plan.
Speaker 33: Will I I have no experience with a wex myrtle tree, because I've read that I could go that route or simply limit up with multi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, you could do it either way. I wouldn't do a single I would do multi. Cut off things that are not what you want. They're not part of those three trunks or usually people do about three uh, and then trim it up and it gets higher. If it gets higher, could it be a little wider than four feet?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 33: Yes, it's uh.
Speaker 2: The area is four and a half feet.
Speaker 33: But then I've got some roses, some double knockout roses on one side and the crushed limestone gravel pamp on the other side, so it's really four and a half feet wide.
Speaker 2: Well, I tell you that's you can keep a wax myrtle that narrow, but you're gonna be printing it a lot. And so I'm kind of wondering if you really even want a tree there with that small of a four and a half feet. There's not gonna be anything that you know is.
Speaker 33: So I might seem like I should stick with the rows of sharing in that area.
Speaker 2: Then well, rows of sharon get bigger than four and a half feet too. Uh, either way, you can do either. You've said something about blocking a view, right, Well.
Speaker 33: Seem like privacy. And of course the roads up sure, and you know they get us down during the winter time.
Speaker 2: So yes, it's deciduous. Yeah, well, you can give the give this a try. Just know that you're going to be stay busy keeping it into the shape and size you want. But you can do that. It's possible.
Speaker 33: Any idea, any idea how many times a year I have to be pruning?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 2: Would this be like monthly or pro probably quarterly? Oh okay, you know you could do it probably quarterly, and that that would be fine, wonderful. All right, Marie, you bet, thank you for the for the call. Uh, we're gonna go now, let's see Dan and Eagle Lake. I'm about a minute before the news, but let's get started on your call and we can continue after the break.
Speaker 25: Okay, good morning, good morning, morning to good morning to all. Just a fast question, I think you can just we can do this spacing between the rows and spacing between red la soda.
Speaker 2: Specifically, I'll put mine about eight inches apart. They could be a foot apart if you wanted, but most of the potatoes are going to set within about six to eight inches of the base of that plant, so about that far. As far as the road distance, give them a little more space, but not you don't need a lot more, maybe a foot foot and a half. I usually have about twelve to eighteen inches between roads. There. We're going to start off by going straight out to Jersey Village and talking to Chris. Hello, Chris, welcome to guard Mine.
Speaker 13: All right, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: You bet.
Speaker 34: I've got in my front flower bed. Actually it's just one this little thorny thing, and I mean those thorns are fears.
Speaker 15: I've worn.
Speaker 34: Leather construction job construction gloves to pull the things up, and they go right through the gloves. And it's got a wooden root and I don't know what it is. But what I would like is that you had something that I could spray on it or put on it that would kill it and not affect the other.
Speaker 15: Surrounding.
Speaker 2: Okay, vegetation yeah, well there, you'll have to go about it a certain way. I really would like to know what it is based on that description, I'm not real sure. Can you describe the leaves real quick for me?
Speaker 34: Yeah, they're kind of like they look like when it leaves out, it looks like a fan, you know, waving like a waving fan. And uh, it doesn't get very big, but I mean it's going all over that one flower bed. Okay, and you know I really want to, you know, kill it.
Speaker 2: All right, well, let me let's do this. Boh, if you will, I'm sorry, Chris, If you will, hold on, I'm going to put you on hold and have my producer give you an email. Send me some close up pictures and sharp focus of this plant's leaves if it had flowers, show those. But let me see some pictures and let me make sure I know what we're talking about, and I'll reply with what to do for it.
Speaker 13: Okay, Okay, appreciate that.
Speaker 2: You bet you bet glad glad to help them do that. You know I could always guess, but I'm telling you it's better if I don't, because sometimes things aren't what they seem. You've heard me talking about Jorges Hidden Gardens done in Alvin before Ray just keeps it, just keeps growing, getting better down there. I tell you he's got a lot of wonderful trees, and fall is for planting. He has a great selection out, a bunch of new roses that have come in if you like, if you like fruiting plants. He has three different kinds of thornless blackberries. Maybe more, but I know I know of three that all do well here, and fall is a good time to plan them. They're ready to go, waiting for you to come get them.
Speaker 35: Uh.
Speaker 2: Orges Hidden Gardens is on Elizabeth Road in Alvin, Texas. So all of you way downs out there, this is your hometown garden center, Elizabeth Road in Alvin, Texas, Jorges Hidden Gardens. You need to go by and check them out. He one thing that he also has I wanted to mention is citrus. There's a good selection of cetrus as well down in his gardens, or it is his nursery there in town. All right, folks, we're going to go back out now. Let's see, we're going to go to Bow in Houston.
Speaker 17: Hello bo, Hey, good morning morning, Hey, quick question, hopefully me and a couple of family's been trying to grow this night blooming serious plant for a couple.
Speaker 26: Of years and we haven't had been able to get the flower. My grandmother had one that would flower before the freeze, and this new one just doesn't. We don't know what to do. You have any suggestions for.
Speaker 2: Me, Well, getting it in the right amount of light, not over fertilizing it. That that would be important to not over fertilize night blooming jasmine. Making sure the soul drains really well is important for that. Let's see what else, Yeah, not overfertilizing. That's pretty much it. It needs a lot of sunlight though, in order to do its best. So maybe maybe in.
Speaker 26: Partial sunlight at the moment it would blanch.
Speaker 2: In full sunlight, yeah, well it may maybe it's getting enough. Is this the shrub night blooming a jasmine or are you talking about a vine? Okay, all right, yeah, well those would be the things providing a fertilizer for blooming plants going to have more of the middle number the phosphorus in it, that would be another thing that would be helpful for it. That's what comes to mind initially.
Speaker 17: All right, So fertilizer with posterous got it.
Speaker 2: Higher phosphorus levels. Yeah, so something for plumerias would probably be a good I would try that and see how that works for them. Moderate amount of fertilizer, a decent amount of light, but not overwatering, not keeping the roots too wet. Those are all things that come to mind initially.
Speaker 17: All right, well, appreciate it, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: All right, you bet, thank you for the call. Appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Bough.
Speaker 2: Now we're going to go to Marty in Fairfield. Hey, Marty, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 15: Good morning, Skip.
Speaker 16: Hey.
Speaker 23: I just wanted to let you know that I got frustrated with the net grass and the Virginia button weeds, so I got out the Ultra.
Speaker 15: We'd beat her ultra.
Speaker 36: A watering can with about a tablespoon of the weed beater, and a week and a half later, there.
Speaker 19: I've got spots all dying.
Speaker 36: Okay, So I'm going to reapply it. And I didn't know though it said that it was okay to put it on the grassy area with my Saint August team.
Speaker 15: Without killing it.
Speaker 2: Is that it is labeled for use on that at the right if you don't have it too concentrated, then that would be yeah, that would be it. The weed beater. Weed Beater Ultra has got a mix of different ingredients. It's got like four I think four different got dicamba and macroprop and it's got carpenter zone and MCPA all in it.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: And that covers a lot of different kinds of weeds. But I'll tell you this, I don't think you're going to find nutsedge on the label. You might, I don't think it's on there. Uh. And I think you may see the nutsedge pop back up, but just have to watch and wait. Hopefully you have had success. But I'm I'm a little leary about calling it on this one.
Speaker 15: That's fine.
Speaker 36: I just I'm just hard.
Speaker 2: Looking at it. Oh, I know, I know, well, God and.
Speaker 36: Buttons, I'm having success with it, So I'm okay.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I'm happy.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well good, well yeah, yeah, sure, I appreciate knowing that.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Go online if you have them already and read my what I wrote up on nuts edge, and I think, Okay, just understanding how it works and why some of the things we typically do wrong can happen, that's that's important. Well, thanks for the call, Marty. Appreciate your wearing in on this one. All right, you take care. We're going to go now to Sam. Uh No, We're not Sam. When we come back from break, you will be the first up. Uh And and Marine and Evelyn, we see you out there and we'll be getting to you as well. His welcome back, Welcome back to garden Line. Well we lost Sam, all right, let's uh who's next? Marene in Lakeside of States. Hello, Marine, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 19: Thank you. I didn't know it was so close to saying goodbye to you. I've been listening happily to all your suggestions. Okay, I do have two Chris anthemums that are actually in the ground and have been there a whole year, so whatever I am doing is going okay, the partial shape and son. So that's what I just want to check up because i'd like to buy another four for this year. So I'd like to know.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 19: Okay, used Microlife six two four? Or do I need to do something else for Chris Anthemum.
Speaker 2: No, that's fine, you can use that. That works very very well. I would probably when you plant them, I would get a hold of some of their other products. The liquid products that you can use and they work. They work super well, you know with drenching the plants when you put them in the ground, that will provide provide help with them trying to get roots in the ground. Basically. Yeah, and just chrysanthemums, know this. There's some we call those florist chryscentthemums. A lot of what you see like in the grocery store and all kinds of places. Those usually will return, but they may not be as dependable as something There are some other chrysanthemums you probably wouldn't care for a country girl, but it sprawls all over the place. But it is a very dependable perennial chryscanthemum. But again it's a floppy, sprawling thing. But planning them right, getting them in a good quality so with lots of organic matter, and then keeping them moderately moist. If you can water the soil instead of watering the root the foliage, that's better when you get water, especially these that have been pruned and snipped to be like a little mound, you know when you buy them at the garden. Yeah, they're real tight. Yeah, they're all tighten there. And if you're spraying water in the top. You can get some rot going on down in there. You're promoting a rot, so water the soil rather than the plant.
Speaker 16: Gotcha? All right?
Speaker 19: So what about in the middle of the year, after they've done, they're spent, so maybe January, I'm not really sure.
Speaker 2: You want to kind of shoot, yeah, you want to show them back. We call it pinching because you know, people just have one and they can just pinch off the soft ends of the shoots. But as you do that, it increases density, and the more you do it, the dentsure they get. They would probably perform a little better if they weren't quite as tight as they are when you buy them usually, but if they get lanky, then branches are going to start breaking off because they're very brittle. So you decide, but you print them two or three times, stop pinching. Let's see, stop pinching by probably July. I think I would say they need time to grow after the pinch because it'll cause new sprouts to grow, and then those sprouts need to set a bloom bud so that it can do its fall bloom.
Speaker 19: That's what I must like.
Speaker 15: It just been dumb luck, you know.
Speaker 19: Well, because that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 15: I did.
Speaker 19: I pruned a little bit here and a little bit there, and I don't want to take somebody else's time, but I'm so thrilled that they responded.
Speaker 15: But the most important.
Speaker 19: Thing was now for me to get the liquid.
Speaker 15: Is there a number on the.
Speaker 19: Liquid in terms of the six two for war? Yeah, I know you said liquid drenching.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, well, micro Life they have a number of different liquids. There's a seven one four that's that is called biomatrix. It would be fine for plants that are growing. You could use it in transplanting, but I would, you know, I would. You could do fish emulsion and seaweed. That's another thing I have that it works very very well. Let's see here. What is the other? Oh gosh, the name is escaping me. The one I'm trying to think of. Just one second and I'll tell you. Oh, it's a Microlife maximum blooms. That is a three three eight three, And that would be one to be using as the plant is growing, but not necessarily putting a brand new one in the ground, but you could use it to put a new one in the ground also. It would work very well for that Microlife maximum Blooms. Microlife has one other it's called soil and Plant Energy that I think would be a good one to use at transplanting. It's going to give you a rocket boost.
Speaker 19: Okay, soy and plant What was the last.
Speaker 2: Word, soil and plant energy.
Speaker 19: Yeah, energy, Okay, I think you've covered it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you also just make sure you have some of those others on hand during the growing season because you're gonna want to use them.
Speaker 19: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it all met Thanks a lot. We're gonna go out to Katie and talk to Evelyn. Hello, Evelyn, Welcome to Gardlande.
Speaker 35: Good morning, Good morning Skip.
Speaker 17: I have a question.
Speaker 35: Is it too late to plant I mean to saw Saint Augustine grass.
Speaker 2: It is not too late. You can do that, but it's better to get it done sooner rather than later, because as we go, once we get into October and November, the grassroots just aren't growing that much, and when you're siding, you want the grassroots to grow, to get down and to establish. Well. Now, I know people that get away with planting it twelve months out of the year, but if you could do it sooner rather than later. Remember you're going to water it twice a day the first week, and once a day the second week, and then every other day the third week.
Speaker 35: Okay, okay, great, And I just need to put like a top soil down or a layer of something to make it No. I mean, the ground is good, but I just want to make sure I have the right foundation the top of the grass.
Speaker 2: If the ground is good, then you're good to go. You don't have to add soil on top. People typically will add soil when they need to fill in holes or make it flatter. You know that way when you're mowing, your mower isn't bouncing around and gouging out sections. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 18: Okay, great, Okay, I will definitely do that.
Speaker 35: And one more question, the gentleman that called the caller that called in prior about the thorny lead to his grass. Yes, is there any way possible you can put that on your website or mention it on the air, because I would really like to know what weed he's talking about that has stickers on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a number of them.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 2: There is a vine that has an underground tuber that's real difficult to get rid of. It's called catclowine. There are b there's a burr weed that has kind of a pointy key. But but going through a work glove, that's.
Speaker 35: Yes, that was the curious part because I was just like, what is what kind of weed does he have?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 35: I'm just curious and if you could posted, it's just just to know because I know the sticker things I do.
Speaker 18: What do you call him?
Speaker 17: Sandburds?
Speaker 35: I've dealt with them and they will go through your glove. But he was speaking of something and just sound like what is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I wondered too. So I've learned to ask to see pictures.
Speaker 17: That's that would be great.
Speaker 2: Thank you, all right, you take care. Thank you very much for that. Yeah, I tell you, I cannot tell you how many times someone who's asked a question and said something it's like, oh, I know what you're talking about. And then or maybe they gave me a name of a plant. There's the one they'll throw you for a curve there, I have a fill in the blank. Uh, And as we talk it's like, no, that's not the plant. You're asking me about something else. And so I try to be as accurate as I can here. Have been doing this for thirty five years. I answering gardening questions from gardeners. But you got to help me out here with accurate questions. Like I always say about pictures, fuzzy pictures will get you fuzzy answers, so make sure they're in good sharp focus. That would be a good idea. Well, one more time, for those of you who haven't gone yet, go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com. And the reason I say that I'm not selling anything on the website, it's free information. You know, my lawn care schedule, how to mow, water, fertilize, and air rate your lawn, my lawn pest disease and weed management schedule, what to do about insects January to December. When did chinchbugs occur? It'll tell you on that chart when diseases occur and then what do you do about them? And weeds the same thing at the bottom. It's all color coded so it makes it really easy. Weeds are green, diseases are brown, insects are yellow. You go to the bottom. Organic and synthetic options are right there. My nut sets publications are there, Weed wipers there and anytime things come up seasonally, like later this year, I'll be talking about coal protection again for the plans, and it's on the website. That's what we're trying to do there. Hey, I'm fixing to jump in a car and I'm going to head to Clear Lake City. I don't forget Nature's Way Resources is there are an outstanding company that has been producing quality products for a long time. Their fungal Friday stale is still on. The summer sale is off, but twenty percent off fungal compost and that's good for top dressing and you can still do that. It's also good for putting in your soil. On October twelfth, Saturday, I'll be out there for their Fall Festival and that is going to be one heck of a party. You need to write that down on your calendar. October twelfth Fall Festival. Nature's Way