Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI. I am six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI had KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 4: It's five o'clock.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Friday, August thirtieth. I'm Amy King, a before Labor day. If you're traveling heading out over the weekend, the good news is the busiest travel day was yesterday. People ditch town early, so the few of us who were left, maybe traffic will be lighter today.
Speaker 4: Nick Pauliocinio Keep has helped checked in on that.
Speaker 1: Did you watch the Big interview last night? I have to say it was very underwhelmed. I was really looking forward to it because, you know, the Vice president hasn't spoken publicly in an interview setting since she decided that she was running for president or announced that she was running for president, and I.
Speaker 4: Really wanted to find out more.
Speaker 1: But I really feel and I don't know how you feel about this, obviously, but I don't feel like I got the specifics. I heard a lot of tap dancing from both Harrison Walls and from CNN really softballs. I think Dana Bash asked a couple of questions that were pretty good, but she didn't press nearly as hard as the Sunday shows, which I watched religiously every week, and I was like, maybe just hit a little hard, kind of push him to actually give you an answer. I wanted to know why she covered for Biden for so long and when she knew that he was diminished, because we all saw it. If she was in the room with him, she had to have seen it. But anyways, it was interesting. I'm glad she's speaking. I hope that they do more of these because I want to hear more. I think that she didn't really explain why she flip flopped on things, although CNN says, oh, yeah, she totally explained it.
Speaker 4: I don't buy that. But anyway, let's move on, because that's just politics. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call.
Speaker 1: I'm unaccused of trying to kidnap his sister's kids in Upland, as led police on a chase before being arrested. The kid's mom had warned sheriff's deputies that her brother was unstable. When they caught the guy, he reportedly told them he wanted to take the children to heaven. Both kids are okay. Property owners in Los Angeles may soon see a twenty two percent hike in their sewer service bills if the city approves new rates today. A city department says the increases are needed to maintain operations and invest in aging infrastructure. If approved, rates would go up twenty two percent in October, followed by a series of smaller increases that would end up almost doubling bills by twenty The Israeli military says it has killed five more militants, including a local commander in the occupied West Bank. Israel says the raids are aimed at preventing attacks against Israel. We're going to be talking more about this with ABC's Geordana Miller in just a couple of minutes. We're also going to be talking about the house Whisperer at the bottom of the hour, about how you can make your backyard a relaxing, healthy space and a place that you want to hang out and if you want to get away from it all and travel somewhere that's not crowded with tourists. The Taliban is calling. Yeah, seriously, that's coming up before the top of the hour at six oh five, It's handle on the news. The boor's head plant linked to a lasteria outbreak is a mess. Inspectors found bugs, mold, and puddles of blood inside. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Vice President Harris says the most important aspect of her policy decisions since she ran for president in twenty nineteen is that her values haven't changed. She said in an interview on CNN last night that one example is her position on illegal immigration.
Speaker 5: I spent two terms as the Attorney General of California prosecuting transnational criminal organizations violations of American laws.
Speaker 4: My values have not changed.
Speaker 1: Haris says her day one agenda as president would include implementing her plan for what she calls an opportunity economy, citing her recent economic proposals to lower costs for Americans. A bill that would allow illegal immigrants to qualify for home loans is now up to Governor Newsom.
Speaker 6: The bill specifies that qualifying illegal immigrants can participate in several state backed home purchase programs. Democratic assembly Woman Wendy Correo says illegal immigrants contribute more than eight billion dollars to the general Fund.
Speaker 7: Conversations that suggest that immigrants are taking away from hard working Californians with other legal status that is a complete betrail of the facts.
Speaker 6: Republicans have argued the bill will incentivize illegal immigrant Newsom has until the end of next month at a side on the bill Blake Trolly k if I News.
Speaker 1: Police in Redlands have smashed their way into a home at a newdist resort looking for a man they say could be involved in the disappearance of an elderly couple. Police used a battering ram yesterday to crash through the front of the house and then sent a robot with a camera inside, But the guy police were looking for wasn't there. Redlands Police Department spokesman Carl Baker says they got a tip that led them to the guy's house.
Speaker 8: We received a phone call from somebody with information who said that they knew who the subject was who was involved in the disappearance of Dan and Stephanie Menhard.
Speaker 4: The Menards and their dog Cuddles have not been seen since Saturday.
Speaker 1: A New Labor Day survey says two out of three people believe they're working harder this year than last year. The Wallet Hubs survey also shows three out of four people think inflation is erasing all their hard work. Ninety three percent say they want to raise to keep up with inflation. I just want to raise. I don't care about keeping up with inflation. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Geordana Miller in Jerusalem. Jordana, the fighting in Israel to destroy militants is not only happening in Gaza. There's also action being taken in the occupied West Bank.
Speaker 9: That's right.
Speaker 5: We're on day three of the Israeli armies what they call a counter terrorism operation in the northern West Bank, and that's in the arees of Janine, nabilis tool Karam. This is an area that long before the Gaza War, the Palestinian security forces had really lost control of, and in the year preceding the war in Gaza, we saw almost thirty Israelis killed by attackers. They came out of this region, that is, with the shooting attacks and deadly stabbing attacks. So Israel has been going into this area steadily during the war, and now they've launched a kind of the largest scale operation in a few years, and they're be aiming to arrest terrorists, not necessarily to kill them, but some that they've been after.
Speaker 9: There's been very.
Speaker 5: And they've gotten a few very notorious terrorists from both Samas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad. The death toll, according to the Israeli is they killed about sixteen militants and the Palestinian helped visualty. Over twenty have died.
Speaker 1: And are these kinds of attacks, Geordana, I know that there's a lot of well, you killed this guy, so we're going to strike back and retaliate. Is this sparking retaliation?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think there's a lot of discrepancy or dispute over whether targeted assassinations in general are effective or whether they've just you know, they just contribute to a cycle of violence and they instead of preventing attacks, they actually fuel new recruits, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 9: So I think there's I think.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of debate about that, and certainly for the.
Speaker 9: Bigger terrorist group.
Speaker 5: I mean, for a long time, Israel stopped carrying out targeted assassinations because it was seen as somewhat ineffective. With some of these smaller groups, it might it might be a little more effective. And remember Hamas in the West things, there's still not a large terrorist group there. They don't control, they don't control the area.
Speaker 4: Okay, So those those operations are continuing.
Speaker 1: And then back in Gaza, we heard that a case of polio has been reported and with fears that that could spread.
Speaker 4: What are they doing.
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 5: So I mean a little bit of good news report, which is that both Israel and Hamas have agreed to limited pauses in the fighting in certain locations to help a polio vaccination campaign roll out. There is one reported case of polio in the Gaza Strips, a young ten mumble that is paralyzed, and that's after traces of poliovirus were found in the very war damaged.
Speaker 9: Sewage system of Gaza.
Speaker 5: So Israel's working already with the UN about a million doses of the polio vaccine and the refrigeration to keep them. Should see these limited pauses start sometime next week.
Speaker 4: So here's my observation, Jordana.
Speaker 1: They're taking steps to protect the children, which is wonderful, and then the children are being killed in the fighting. It just seems so like just incongruous. That's my big word for the day. It just doesn't add up, you know, like if you're going to stop the fighting to save the children, that stop the fighting.
Speaker 9: I hear you, I see, I also see the incongruity of it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know that decision. Unfortunately, that decision is not in the hands of the people of Gaza who are suffering the most, right, it's in the hands of the of the leader that you know, I mean Yessinore who runs the Gaza strip. He's you know, he's a dictator, just he he just doesn't have clothes on like someone you know, like Putin for example. Right, he's just a more boorish, aggressive version. But he's a dictator, lives by a radical Islamic ideology. And uh, you know, the people of Gaza are suffering, and on the other side, the Israeli Prime Minister is trying to politically survive.
Speaker 5: And the whole system here got a deal and it's going to come down to him as well.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, maybe maybe Polio will help them push them over the edge to get to that season. Who knows, anything could happen, right, all right, Jor Dana Miller, thank you so much for the information today, and we'll.
Speaker 4: Talk to you next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. One of the two doctors charged in the death of Friends actor Mayor Matthew Perry is due in federal court in La Doctor Mark Chavez is expected to plead guilty today to conspiring to distribute the surgical anesthetic ketamine. Chevez reached a plea agreement with prosecutors earlier this month. He would be the third person to plead guilty in the case. Perry died last year of a fatal overdose. Two Bourbon police officers have been cleared of wrongdoing after being accused of dumping a homeless man onto a sidewalk in North Hollywood.
Speaker 3: JEEF Mike Alvin.
Speaker 11: He said he was disappointed that people, including La City Council President Paul Grekory and rushed to judgment based only on a short viral video clips.
Speaker 3: The video that was posted the optics don't provide a compleet story.
Speaker 11: Albanist hold the Burbank City Council Tuesday night. Their investigation shows the man was not homeless. In fact, he rents an apartment. In June, the man walked away from a hospital naked and demanded officers take him to North Hollywood. Officers dropped him off near Krekorian's office. Krekorian said he was outraged by the officer's conduct. Steve Gregory kaya Finos.
Speaker 1: The HP says a missing fourteen year old girl, her newborn baby, and her fifteen year old sister in law have been found. The three had been missing from El Serno since Sunday night. The baby girl has been diagnosed with a heart condition and needs daily medication, so officials say they found them, but haven't released any more details about it. The NASA astronaut who holds the record for most time spent in space, is urging his two stuck in space colleagues to stay positive and keep up the good work. Frank Rubio says he's been talking with Sunny Williams and Butch Wilmore for the past couple of weeks. They were supposed to only be at the International Space Station for a week, but now they're going to be there until February because of issues with the Boeing Starliner. He says they're staying busy and are setting a great example. Three people charged in the shooting death of former General Hospital actor Johnny Whacter, including two facing murder charges, have pleaded not guilty. A fourth person has indicated he will plead guilty at a later date to lesser charges. The two men facing murder charges are eighteen years old. Students have brought four guns onto LA School District campuses since the school year started August twelfth. The most recent was a semi automatic pistol found in a ninth grader's backpack at John C. Fremont High in South LA on Tuesday. No one's been hurt. The students with the weapons were all arrested. Some of the show hay O Tani bobbleheads that were handed out to forty thousand fans at the Dodgers game Wednesday night are being offered up online for as much as twenty thousand dollars. Fans waited fro up to twelve hours to get one of the bobbleheads of show hay holding his dog decoy. Some gold bobbleheads were handed out too, and those are the ones being offered for.
Speaker 4: The most money online at six o five. It's handle on the News.
Speaker 1: Former President Trump says if he's elected, he'll make either the government or insurance companies pay for IVF treatments. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Sherry Preston.
Speaker 4: Sherry, we've all had it happen. It's ten o'clock at night.
Speaker 1: Your boss is texting or emailing or maybe even calling about something that just can't wait, and you feel compelled to answer.
Speaker 4: But you don't have to anymore if you live in Australia.
Speaker 10: Absolutely right. They passed something that's literally called the right to Disconnect law, and what it means is that employees in a lot of cases cannot be punished for refusing to read work emails or respond to work phone calls or texts from their employers outside of work hours. What they're saying is that during the pandemic, a lot of lines were blurred, work from home, work from work. When can I call? When can I be off? When can't I? And they're saying it's got to stop. So they passed this law and employers and employees can be fine tens of thousands of dollars if they abuse this kind of thing. It's really interesting they've already got a law like this in France, now Australia. Several countries in Latin America do as well, but whether it comes to this country.
Speaker 9: It's probably doubtful.
Speaker 1: Well except that lawmakers in California did introduce a right to disconnect law this year, but I don't know that it went anywhere I was. I was looking at it. Let's when I started, when I realized I was going to be talking to you. I was like, didn't we introduce something like that.
Speaker 10: That's California. That's California. You know, guys, you're doing all kinds of things that the rest of us going, what, okay, anyway, I mean what it's really interesting. We got to say too that like in the news business, there's doesn't stop when it's nine to five o'clock, you know, nine to five, and only news happens during the days and weekend. So that's kind of off the table. A lot of employers are saying, you know, we have emergencies too in our business. So what they do for people who have off hours and for people you know that things that they're considered emergency. They have an actual department in the Australian government called the Fair Work Commission. They got to take into account an employees role and employees' personal circumstances, how and why the contact from work was made, and then it has the power to issue a piece and desist order. And if the company still doesn't do that, they can really find up to about fifteen thousand dollars for an employee and about seventy thousand dollars for an employee er. And you know, they'll make the decision. They'll be the ones that will look through it and go, you know, can we can I do this or can I not do this?
Speaker 1: Okay, Sherry, I understand the part about the employers getting in trouble, but the workers, like if if i got a text from my boss and said, oh I'm going to answer that, I could get fined.
Speaker 10: No no, no, no, your boss could though other boss could be fined Okay, yeah, I mean separately from your company. Separately from your company.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 10: And they're saying, they're saying that that you know, Australians work about two hundred and eighty hours over and above what they actually are on the clock for working and totally up eighty eight billion dollars, and they're saying, look, it's time to actually set these lines. But no, you can actually find an employee for doing this, like say a boss, okay to the company is you know what I mean, an employee. You're the employee, but he's your boss, your manager, and they're the one I said, he or she or they has, you know, for for for for doing that. That's that's what how it rolls. It's interesting that they've already got it in some places talking about it in California.
Speaker 9: You know, whether it.
Speaker 10: Passes worldwide highly doubtful, but it's something that really sparks this conversation about what's my personal time, what's my worktime? And when can I seriously literally be off the clock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I I think you made such a good point about the blurred lines caused by the pandemic because I remember sitting on my couch working on my computer from home, not at this job, but at another job, and you know, working in it. It would be seven, eight, nine o'clock at night, and I'd go, oh, I'll just do this, I'll just do that. And because you're not clocking in and clocking out, it's kind of it gets a little wunky.
Speaker 10: Well it does. And it's like you talk to a lot of people who work from home. I don't know if you guys are in the studio or not.
Speaker 12: I don't know.
Speaker 10: Yeah we are, but yeah, and it makes a difference. It does. You're like, okay, I'm going to work now, I'm leaving work now. If something happens, I know they're going to call me. I know it's going to be for something big. But when a lot of people who work from home say, or you know, said, during the pandemic, I felt like I was never off. I felt like I was on twenty four to seven. And a lot of bosses are saying, well, you got the privilege from working in your pajamas, so we can call you whenever. And the employees are saying, no, if I'm getting the work done, I'm being productive. You don't have the right to do that. Interesting, And you know, the pandemic changed everything for how people work. It really did. I mean home work. And you know you can work from wherever. So when you work from wherever, should you have the privilege of being able to not answer your work emails. It's going to be up to companies, but in Australia you can go to court for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I know, is my news director Chris Little would be very cranky if I didn't answer his emails and texts.
Speaker 10: Cherry Preston, Well, good luck with that. Some little thing for this day. Okay, here, here's the deal. Just give them anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, Cherry Preston, thank you so much for the information. And uh, you know, I I love this idea.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to see if it comes to the US, but like you said, in the US.
Speaker 4: Probably not.
Speaker 10: Yeah. Great to catch up with you, guys. I haven't talked to you in a while.
Speaker 1: All right, well we would. We hope that we'll get to catch up with you again very soon. Have a wonderful weekend.
Speaker 4: Thanks Sherry, you too.
Speaker 10: No phone calls after work?
Speaker 4: Okay, you got it.
Speaker 1: Here's some of the stories we're working on in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Two people have been killed in a violent crime spree in Ventura County. A man was fatally stabbed yesterday afternoon in a car with two other people inside in Oxnard. The attacker ran off, then police got a nine to one to one call from a home in Camerio. As deputies arrived, a man showed up at a police station reporting an assault. A seventy five year old woman attacked died at the hospital. Sheriff's Captain Dean Worthy says a man in his forties was arrested.
Speaker 10: They do all know one another.
Speaker 11: It sounds like they travel in the same circle and group friendships.
Speaker 4: He says drugs may have been a factor in the crimes.
Speaker 1: Former President Trump says IVF costs will be covered by insurance if he's elected president.
Speaker 12: Under the Trump administration, your government will pay for or your insurance company will be mandated to pay for all costs associated with IVF treatment fertilization for women.
Speaker 1: Trump told a rally in Michigan yesterday his administration would also push for allowing new parents to deduct major newborn expenses from their taxes. A delegation from Ukraine is headed to Washington. D c ABC's and Flaherty says the group hopes to convince the White House to loosen restrictions on using long range weapons to strike deep inside Russia. In addition to there being a limited number of the types of missile systems that Ukraine wants, Russia has moved its aircraft deeper inside its country, making it harder to reach the targets. She says it's unlikely the White House would change its policy. The US Postal Services it is making preparations to make sure mail in ballots are secure and delivered in a timely matter for the November fifth election. Those plans include additional pickups, extra deliveries, and speeding up the mail sorting process. The Postal Services in twenty twenty and twenty two, over ninety nine percent of mail in ballots were delivered within seven days.
Speaker 4: That seems like that's a long time.
Speaker 1: The California Senate has approved a bill that would allow illegal immigrants to qualify for up to one hundred and fifty thousand dollars in home loans.
Speaker 4: The Assembly will take up the issue next.
Speaker 1: They have until tomorrow to hold a vote because the legislature ends tomorrow. If passed, the governor would have until the end of September to pass it. Almost nine million fentinyl pills and more than forty six hundred pounds of fentanyl powder has been seized by California law enforcements so far this year. Governor Newsom's office says the large hall is due in part to increased National Guard presence at the Santy Sidro O Tai Mesa, Takate, and Calexico Ports of Entry. This is music to my ears. Sleeping in on the weekends may help lower your risk of heart disease. A study of more than ninety thousand patients out of China shows that those who use their weekends to get caught up on sleep they missed during the busy work week were almost twenty percent less likely to develop heart disease than those who don't get those extra disease. At six so five at handle on the news, a federal judge has demanded answers about where millions of dollars allocated to fight the homeless problem. Up problem in Los Angeles is going? Easy for me to say at five point fifty. Taliban tourism.
Speaker 4: It's a thing.
Speaker 1: But right now, let's say good morning to the house. Whisper the host of Home on KFI. It's Dean Sharp morning, Jean.
Speaker 3: Well, now I feel conflicted. Wow, my six a m. Saturday morning show is gonna, you know, encourage people to maintain heart disease.
Speaker 1: Uh, well, I don't know what to tell you on that one. Mm, well maybe they can sleep in on Sunday morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody get your sleep now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because your show's not till nine o'clock on no Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Sleep in on Sunday, wake up early on Saturday. Yeah. There you go, there you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you know, I've had backyards and I've had houses that had bad backyards and good backyards. Let's talk about building a fabulous backyard habit.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, you know you said the secret word right at the end, their habitat. We are we've been as designers pushing for several years now to increase the amount of habitat that our clients are including in their backyard. Now that may seem like a strange thing because you're like, well haven't you always been just you know, encourage people to plant gardens and have lush, beautiful backyards. That's very, very true. But there is a difference there. At least there can be a big difference between a lovely, lush, expensive garden and habitat when it comes to, you know, how we do it, and the real key there has to do with what you plant and how you plant it in such a way that you're actually drawing nature in not just the plants themselves, but the other things about nature that we really love and that really touch us and move us as well, like birds, for instance, bringing birds into your yard. It's not a mystery anymore, although people scratch their heads all the time. In fact, it was just a couple of weeks ago I was at a design consult and this individual had spent an inordinate amount of I mean a lot of money, way more money than you and I would imagine spending typically on a backyard. I mean over two hundred thousand dollars on plant material. In their backyard. It was lush, it was green, it was all sorts of beautiful. And I said, so what's the issue, and they're like, there are no birds. There are no birds. We did all this and we got nothing. And as we started to analyze, what we realized is they had not planted a single native plant in their backyard. They were all exotics. Exotics meaning in the technical sense that just plants not here from southern California, not natural to southern California. And I said, well that's the problem right there. They said, well, we don't understand. There's plenty of places for birds to nest and you know, shade, but really what it comes down to is their food. Insects insects in southern California have coevolved with the plants in southern California, and an insect doesn't know what to do with a non native plant. They have no use for it. They I mean, they literally have no use for it. And so as a result, very very few insects in the backyard, if any at all, and no insects, no birds. And so what we did was we started suggesting making some changes to this yard and to switch out some of the plant material as much as possible with equivalently green and lush and beautiful but native plants. They are doing that right now, and they said, they just reported to me early this week. They said, you know what, already already, strangely enough, we're starting to hear bird song in our backyard. And that is building habitat.
Speaker 4: If you build it, they will come.
Speaker 3: Exactly, It's exactly right. I mean, it's shocking. You know, I think we're all used to kind of the down and depressing you know story. You know, you know, pave Paradise put up a parking lot, right, and that's true. But what we don't realize is if you are willing to pull back some of that paving if you're willing to pull back some of those wrong turns along the way, just how quickly nature wants to dive back into that available space.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that would lead us then to big trees. Because at one of the houses I had up in Portland, I had this massive one hundred foot tall pine trees.
Speaker 4: Was absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 1: It was a pain in the butt because you couldn't get grass to grow underneath it. But I absolutely loved it, and I loved going out there and sitting out there, and like you said, there were birds chirping in that tree.
Speaker 3: Every day exactly. Yeah, yeah, I mean there's always a big trees are the cornerstones of great landscape, by the way, so absolutely right. They are these amazing structures. They create all sorts of shade, especially here in southern California. They can literally change the ecosphere of your the temperature of your property. You think, well, okay, I'm in a plant tree, but nobody else around me is planting trees, so it's not really going to affect anything. Not true, Not true. I live in just such a neighborhood. Tina and I have got something like fourteen trees on our property that we've planted ourselves, and on any given day, even blazing hot summer days we are our backyard is on average four to six degrees cooler than the street out in front of us and our neighbor's property around us. So trees can do amazing things, just even to your local environment of your yard it's elf. But again, you know, we want to be honest about it. There are always given takes. Like you just said, you know, you couldn't get anything to grow under a tree. Trees are very selfish in that way. They don't want any They don't want anything growing under them. What they want to do is drop their own leaves or needles and let those compost in and you know, refeed on them, and they don't want other things growing under them. So you learn to landscape accordingly. You know what a tree loves underneath itself, a nice little deck area where human beings can sit under the shade and they don't have to compete with other things growing.
Speaker 4: I love that, so that you know what I'm just I have.
Speaker 13: I don't know if you guys do, but I have like the best picture of a big old tree and a deck and some flowers and probably a my tie or something in my hand, but I mean it just sounds so inviting.
Speaker 1: So you're going to be talking about building your backyard habitat this weekend.
Speaker 3: Yes, we are. On Sunday specifically, We've got several guests in studio, including somebody that you might know. Uh, We're going to have a representative on from Poison Free Canejo, the founder of Poison Free Canes.
Speaker 4: It's the Big Boss. That's Robin, the.
Speaker 3: Boss, Robin Berta Lucci. Actually literally I don't know. I haven't done an official poll, but I'm not sure anybody has heard Robin. Robin's voice on the air on KFI for a long time. And so we're actually gonna have our boss on the air with me on Sunday talking about the proper way to deal with rats and rodents and the improper way and that's avoiding you know, poisons that affect our local wildlife. So Robin will be expressing her passions and telling us her story on Sunday, as well as some reps from the Audubon Society. It's going to be a great show.
Speaker 1: I love that, Okay, So six to eight Saturday and then nine to noon Sunday right here on k it's home with Dean Sharp.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, Dean can't wait.
Speaker 3: Thanks Amy, all right when we come back.
Speaker 4: Taliban tourism, Yeah, it's a thing.
Speaker 1: Former President Trump says if he gets elected, he wants to make IVF treatment free for families. His comments came at a rally in Michigan. He also suggested earlier in an NBC interview that he would vote to repeal Florida's six week abortion band, saying that amount of time is just too short. Migrants have been trying to get on school buses in San Diego. A group tried to stop a school bus and get on board near downtown San Diego Tuesday. Then Wednesday, twenty, migrants tried to get on a bus with students on board at a bus stop. The mul Delzura Union School District says bus drivers have now been told to drive past bus stops where migrants are lingering. Retailers will be required to check photo ID of anyone under thirty who's buying tobacco products. The FDA says it's a rule included in legislation from twenty nineteen raised the minimum age for sale of tobacco products from eighteen to twenty one, The director of the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products, says the new restrictions are another step toward protecting our nation's youth from the health risks of tobacco products. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning. If you're headed to the Grand Canyon for Labor Day, you're probably going to need to find a new place to stay. Bill's going to tell you why. Okay, picture this. You're standing with an ancient archaeological landscape nestled among the high mountains of the Hindu Kush. There are white, snow capped mountains, there's greenery, there's blooming trees spread across the valley. Well, that's what twenty two year old Ben Herskovich saw. He said it was one of the most beautiful places he's ever been to in his whole life.
Speaker 4: Where is it?
Speaker 1: Afghanistan, the country not exactly known as a vacation hotspot, has seen an increase in tourism since the Taliban took over. So Herskevitz is like thousands of miles away from home, but he's there, immersing himself in Afghanistan's scenic landscape, and there's ancient history there, and he said, it's really cool because there's not a lot of people there, Like if you go to Rome or you go to Paris, there's just hordes and hordes of tourists, and here you're kind of all alone.
Speaker 4: Well, of course you are.
Speaker 1: Now when I say that it's open for tourism, the Taliban encourages it, but there's not that many people going. In twenty twenty one, six hundred and ninety one tourists visited Afghanistan, but then in twenty twenty two it was up to twenty three hundred and then seven thousand in twenty twenty three. Taliban officials say the growth of the tourism industry has a positive effect on the country's economy. That's according to the Ministry of Culture. They've even created a department under the Taliban's Ministry of Culture to provide services to tourists and also to train students in the tourism industry and hotel management. But should you go, that is the question. Here is the answer from Western governments. Here's the warning. Afghanistan carries a Level four do not travel advisory from the US State Department, which cites terrorism, risk of wrongful detention, civil unrest, kidnapping, and crime as reasons for its rating. The United Kingdom is also advised against all travel to Afghanistan. You know that it makes me so sad because I would love to see those places, and I remember when all those stuff erupted in Iraq, Like Iraq is supposed to have some of the most beautiful historical sites and we probably will never get to go there because it is just not a good idea. It makes me want to travel more because you know, you never know. Oh, like I got to go to Israel. Obviously nobody's going to Israel now probably not nobody, but you know what.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just not probably the tourist spop.
Speaker 1: But we did a cruise and we went around the Holy Lands and it was an amazing journey. But it's just with wars breaking out. I've heard Russia is gorgeous. Not going there either. If you're going to go to a state park, you could go for free. You know, they have the day passes that are like twenty five forty five bucks or something like that. Well, if you want, libraries have free passes to California parks. There was a program that was implemented a couple of years ago, and it was supposed to be cut because of the budget shortfall, but in the most recent budget deal it was renewed for another year. So day passes allow for free parking at more than two hundred state parks for vehicles if you've got nine or fewer people, And that's great news because you know sometimes you know still have the extra cash. So if you want a state park pass, head down to your library. Again, it's like ten bucks or more. It's not a huge amount, but maybe money's tight, so that's where you can go get it. Orange County Public Libraries loaned out nearly ten thousand passes to local residents in the last year.
Speaker 4: Free state park passes very cool.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Democratic Vice presidential nominee Tim Walls says he will not apologize for speaking passionately on issues that are dear to him. In an interview on CNN last night, Wall says he always says what's.
Speaker 9: On his mind, whether it's guns in schools or protecting of reproductive rights.
Speaker 10: The contrast could not be clear between what we're running against the vice president's position on this has been clear.
Speaker 1: Walls is said to debate his Republican counterpart JD. Evans on October first, that one's going to be on CBS. Trial has started in LA for the man accused of killing a UCLA grad student working at a boutique furniture store in Hancock Park. Rihanna Coopfer was stabbed forty six times in twenty twenty two. Deputy da Habib Balion told the jury yesterday the young woman had sent a text message to one of her managers saying a guy in the store was giving her weird vibes.
Speaker 3: Right time Terry Stride read that text. Brianna Kusberg is already lay dead in her blood on the cross house floor.
Speaker 1: The prosecutor also told jurors that Sean Smith left behind an audio recorder that captured him killing. Smith is facing a murder charge. It includes the special circumstances, allegation of lying in wait, and the use of a knife. OC Animal Care could soon change its procedures following years of criticism about access to adoptions, understaffing, and euthanasia rates.
Speaker 2: The shelter's interviewing consultants to create a new strategy for the future. OHS Animal Care Director Monica Schmidt says the criticisms are just one part of a main focus to update policies that have changed because of the pandemic's effect on animal shelters nationwide.
Speaker 4: A lot of folks.
Speaker 3: Have opinions and ideas, and that's.
Speaker 14: One of the things that we will rely on this expert for this proposal, is that they will help us guide how to receive all of that good input.
Speaker 3: She says.
Speaker 2: Proposals for consultants are being accepted till next week, with a new strategy expected next year. In Orange County, Corbin Carson.
Speaker 1: Kf I News, Democratic lawmakers in California have passed a bill banning local governments from adopting voter ID laws. The city of Huntington Beach approved a voter ID requirement this year that was said to take effect in twenty twenty six. Republican lawmakers opposed the state bill. Assembly Republican leader James Gallagher says, a lot of states have ID provisions.
Speaker 3: I've never understood why people are against voter ID.
Speaker 1: State Assemblyman Bill A. Saley introduced an amendment that would have explicitly banned illegal immigrants from voting, but it failed. In San Francisco, illegal immigrants are allowed to vote in local school board elections. A city council committee voted to give more teth to LA's law prohibiting landlords from harassing tenants. Some property owners, like Marissa Levin, says the proposal is too broad and it penalizes good landlords dealing with bad tenants.
Speaker 3: There's a very.
Speaker 14: Important distinction between doing something with the intention of harming a tenant and doing something with indifference to its impact. Yet the proposed definition treats the two as.
Speaker 4: One and the same.
Speaker 1: The law is supposed to prevent landlords from threatening tenants withholding repairs and other issues. Supporters have said since its original adoption three years ago, thousands of complaints have been filed. A new survey finds seventy seven percent of people admit there are days when they're just too tired to cook after work. The study by Talker Research looked into the habits of two thousand Americans and how they balance their busy schedules in today's fast paced world. One fifth of those surveyed said that they are sometimes so exhausted while cooking they fall asleep. The poll also found thirty eight percent of people said they're justice busy on the weekends. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 4: This has been your wake up call.
Speaker 1: If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.