Speaker 1: The question is was he the shooter?
Speaker 2: It seems like we're being spoon fed and narrative. I now believe there is a federal level of corruption and conspiracy involved in this murder.
Speaker 3: Okay, and the ten months since Charlie Kirk's death, some of the loudest voices on the right have worked over time to discount the official narrative of his killing, and millions have followed them down the rabbit hole.
Speaker 1: In a way, the.
Speaker 3: Conspiracy theories around Kirk's death were inevitable. Ms now is Brandy's Drosny reports that the MAGA media universe Kirk helped build was doing exactly what it was designed to do, but that relentless suspicion and so called fact finding is now tearing MAGA apart, and Brandy tracks the scent in a new documentary series joining us Now. Ms NOW Senior Enterprise reporter Brandy's de Drosny senior report at the Bullwork Will Summer.
Speaker 1: Rick Wilson is back with us, Brandy.
Speaker 3: I remember months ago talking to you about kind of this concept.
Speaker 1: You're running to a meeting about it.
Speaker 3: And so I'm very happy to say that it is out. In congratulations to you, and the team for getting this out. One of the things that's so interesting, this continues to be interesting to me, is that conspiracy theories are not new.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: We all have family members, especially now who believes I'm not going to name any of y'all, but you're probably watching some online conspiracy theories and it's been happening since YFK and he was assassinated into now and I want to play some more sound about conspiracies and attention from the doc listen to this.
Speaker 2: Stephen Pricesca studies how this kind of thing happens, how people online collaborate to interpret events and create narratives to explain them. People in academia call it participatory misinformation or collective sense making.
Speaker 4: When we are trying to understand anything that we don't understand initially, it's we're uncertain, something's ambiguous, something's new or novel, and so we don't understand these things in isolation.
Speaker 1: There's deflective sense making process.
Speaker 4: It does involve these crowds of peace coming together trying to understand something, but in practice, some there are some people just have more influence within a particular community. There are people who's almost entire livelihoods are based off of navigating this attention economy.
Speaker 2: In other words, there's a hierarchy, and in this case, one person sits.
Speaker 5: At the top.
Speaker 3: I have spent a lot of time as less time than you watching Candae almost as this has changed and how she's talked about it. When you think about where the right is on the disbelief in institutions, this felt inevitable. But most importantly this is stranger, probably because of social media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean listen, conspiracy theories have been around or as long as people have been around, right, we want to explain the way things work, and we want to neet explanation for that. Before in the before times, you had a handful of people whose job was to create these conspiracy theories in a handful of ways, radio righting pamphlets to spread those conspiracy theories. We are in a moment where there's just a huge, huge market for it. There are a lot of conspiracy theorists. Alex Jones said the other day there are a million Alex Jones is now and he was incredibly right. You know, there are lots of people who make a living online spreading conspiracy theories and coming up with him Candice Owens again sits at the top of those right now. But not only you know, has changed the just the number of people who peddle in these conspiracy theories, but the way that they are spread has just expanded with social media. So even right now, and you know, you mentioned MAGA, but it really really is starting to be less and less just a maga thing, just a right wing thing. It really is spreading to every political ideology. Just I think COVID and the distrust spread by Donald Trump and the like in our and our systems has has really just just disrupted trust in this way. That's it's it's kind of it's hard to even see how we come back from that now.
Speaker 1: But it's a problem, Brandy. So much of this feels like the psychology right that.
Speaker 3: Human beings are typically it seems nowadays more likely to bleed a deep, dark, winding conspiracy theory than kind of the knowing, normal, boring explanation for some of these sometimes unexplainable things that happen in this country. And as you as someone who steeped deep into this world, what do you take what's your biggest takeaway.
Speaker 1: From the documentary that you made? Part one I think, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: I think that the biggest takeaway is just how you know this. Conspiracy theories used to be a very small beat. Disinformation used to be a very small beat. Will Summer, who's also on with us right now, used to be on this beat with me at the Daily Beast, you know, over ten years ago. And now I have this sort of saying that we are all disinformation reporters now, So everyone who's a political reporter has to be on the disinformation beat, has to understand how conspiracy theories and lies are used by people to gain power or wealth or further some sort of cause, and understand how to track them, trace them, understand how to debunk them eventually. But I think that it's just the widespread nature of all of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you've been covering this for a long time as well.
Speaker 3: It feels like this is maybe simply what happens when a political movement is largely built on conspiracy theories, that people with power and influence play in those conspiracy theories, play them up in order to win, and then you end up with a.
Speaker 1: Situation that brand is covering. Now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, certainly, I think whether it's Charlie Kirk or Donald Trump. These people who promoted conspiracy theories to build their bases, to build their political power.
Speaker 1: Often they then face that themselves.
Speaker 5: You know, whether it's I mean, Turning Point USA played in a lot of these conspiracy theories. Charlie Kirk had his own show those sort of devoted conspiracy theories, and now we're seeing that unfortunately really rebound against his family and his organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some of it's a nightmare watching the ways in which people, you know, his wife for what happened, which is quite disturbing.
Speaker 1: Rick. I want to bring you in here. You know, you are.
Speaker 3: Someone who has probably understands the Republican Party and it's the way it's changed and the way the Right has infiltrated in taking over the Republican Party. You're probably not surprised at this, and I don't know if you've watched the documentary.
Speaker 1: But it's probably things that you have been talking about that you know that this was where we were going to end up. What does this end?
Speaker 3: I think you know Brandy's concern that we're not going back.
Speaker 1: I shared it. I assume you do as well.
Speaker 6: I really do you, Gene and people believe in conspiracy theories to give themselves a sense of coherence. But the people that are selling these conspiracy theories, as Brandy pointed out, this is an industrial part of what I call the influencer industrial complex. On the right, you've got the Candice Owens is and the Alice Jones is and a million other imitators, and these people are making money off of trying to give MAGA voters a sense of coherence and understanding and giving them like this is the secret esoteric knowledge they don't want you to know. And that's a very profitable niche. And while Donald Trump used conspiracy theories to gain more political power, these people are gaining more eyeballs, more clicks, more subscribes, and they're using it, or they're using it because there's a powerful financial incidentive for a lot of them. I don't know how we wrap this up, but it is. As you know Brandy point out, everybody's got to be a disinformation reporter now, and everybody's got to focus in their own life on not reposting the thing that you think is, you know, really cool right away, because that temptation relies on the virality of social media to spread these things.
Speaker 3: Further discernment is lacking on social media, Brandy in the minute that I have left that to end this up, maybe a more hopeful notice a very depressive segment so far. When you talk to experts on misinformation, disinformation conspiracy theories, is there a way to get maybe not owens and people at the same time, but person by person, to pull them back from operating within this world.
Speaker 2: I don't know about experts. Maybe I'm going to quote myself because I feel like I've been actually these things long enough. I was just at the Tyler Robinson hearing recently, and I spoke with a lot of people who were there in the crowd that were very much of the opinion that Erica Kirk was in on some cover up of the murder of her husband. And what was striking to me is that these people who believed it were sitting behind I'm sorry, we're sitting in front of her the next day at one of these hearings and.
Speaker 1: Just being close with her.
Speaker 2: When I talked to them later that same day, they said, actually, I think I was wrong, and I feel really really bad for ever having thought that, because they heard her cry, they heard her talking to Charlie Kirk's mother, and so they had that personal experience. I think we have to get to a point where we can empathize. Obviously everyone can't meet Erica Kirk, but I think we can get to a point where we treat other people as humans and don't just see them as you know, characters and conspiracy theory or characters on the internet, but really humanize those people that we're talking about before we spread things about them.