Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome to the Heat Check. Today is Friday, July seventeenth, and I am your host, Nathan Graham. We're fresh off the All Star break and instead of our normal format, we're gonna be We're gonna take a look at the amateur draft. Joining me this week are two thirds of our draft team at Baseball Prospectus and Michael Donadeo and Jared Sidler. Gentlemen, welcome, thanks for joining.
Speaker 2: Me, Thank you for having us.
Speaker 1: Hey, you're welcome. Jared, you were at the draft? First of all, tell us a little bit. What was it like? And then also, why does Rob Manford hate baseball?
Speaker 3: It was like the MLB Draft done is like a low a baseball game, like with like a tempted Savannah Banana's bits.
Speaker 4: I have no idea how much of.
Speaker 3: That came across on TV, but it was just like wow, blaring music like bad between innings, minor league entertainment.
Speaker 4: They did a Mockerina.
Speaker 3: Contest at one point between picks, like in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: I just like want I.
Speaker 2: Heard did a backflip to go one one?
Speaker 4: I mean that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that actually happened on a telecast about what seven years ago?
Speaker 4: Was that Mason Wayne who did that.
Speaker 3: I think somebody did watch, But yeah, there were no players there, which like if you're kind of doing that kind of draft broadcast, that really needs like at least some of the key players there. It was just that was very and it was also it was in It was basically in a conference room off the floor of the MLB All Star Village, which is what they called the Fan Festival this year, which was at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. So it's like literally in like conference room where they do bar exams. Like that's like what that's like, and that's like the vibe it was giving off. And then they Day one was round one through four and then they got through pick Ford and so it's like, okay, we're done, everybody leave, And it turned out that included the media.
Speaker 4: They kicked the media out.
Speaker 1: Yeah they started. People were still in there, yes.
Speaker 3: And then while the MLB Network broadcast was still on the air, was still streaming or whatever. You can find a Twitter clip of like Ryan Sprasdowski talking with like loud construction noises being made in the background as they were taking down.
Speaker 4: The stage and just like.
Speaker 3: It was all just like a little embarrassing I think, especially compared to the broad scale I wrote about this for BP a few days ago, just like the broad scale spectacle of the NFL Draft, Like the last time the NFL Draft was in Philadelphia, they put several hundred thousand people into into a draft area on the Rocky Steps and all the way back down the Ben Franklin Parkway, right, And this was like two thousand people in a conference room that mostly had no idea what was going on. And there was like a drum line randomly showed up at one point and I don't really know why, right, And there was.
Speaker 2: Just like there were.
Speaker 3: No yeah, Like this wasn't even like big enough to have the mummers or like anything like particularly yeah, like they did like T shirt launches and stuff like that. Like it legitimately reminded me of being in an a ball game, except like it was like Savannah Bananas themed basically, which again no shade on that. It's just like the cross section of people who are interested in that type of event and the cross section of people who are realistically going to tune into or show up for the first round of the Major League Baseball Draft. It's just like revealous really small like they have the drafts for the die hards, right, like, especially when you're doing it on I mean, I guess it was on NBC, but most of it's on like streaming platforms or cable television on a Saturday afternoon like this is not.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, games going on as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, against games.
Speaker 3: And then the second the second day the draft was against the Futures Game, Like I'm at the Futures Game like trying to see like what teams are doing with their extra pool a lot. Man, I'm just going like, these are events that have very high crossover interests. Like the people who are the people who are realistically going to pay attention to the day two of the draft are like almost all of them are also going to watch the Futures Game. Why are both of these going on at the same time. And it's exacerbated by the fact that they had both Sunday night and Wednesday night free.
Speaker 4: There was no baseball either, Yes, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: I know I know.
Speaker 3: Manford told the BBWA that those events got moved around because they wanted the broad casterers wanted them, and they were doing, you know, doing work for the broadcasters and trying to get them in the best television streaming situations possible. So I get that, but you know, maybe it's worth giving up a little bit of broadcaster rights money or advertising money to get more exposer on this stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yeah, you would think so. And was the futures game still just seven innings?
Speaker 3: Seven innings, no pitcher pitched. I don't think anybody pitched more than three three outs. Yeah, it was seven innings. It was rotating through pitchers NonStop batting practice because the game was at twelve, so batting practice started at nine to ten, and most of the players did not look like they'd had their coffee, like you know, just way to PAULA to Paul's batting practice was so forgetable. And again it's a guy who takes a killer batting practice that I asked Brent, I like had to ask Frank Percy whether he had like gone already, know, like four rotations later, because like I didn't actually remember doing anything and he went up there any home runs and batting practice, that's like what the And that's obviously you know, but he was taking batting practice at nine and twenty in the morning after presumably after travel, you know, like I there was a period of time where I cared about futures game batting practice a lot. I wrote about this too in a different article, and that time has passed because realistically, why you were caring about futures game batting practice was to assess optimum situation, like raw power in a showcase environment. And there's just like twenty better ways now to assess players raw power than optimal environment showcase.
Speaker 4: Circuit, you know, three rounds of batting practice.
Speaker 3: So it's you know, it's fun to see, you know, guys builds and guys swing mechanics in a really easy location. But I don't think I got like a ton out of an evaluatively, certainly not as much as you know when you know, Nathan, I know you've went to some of these in the past, like you know, in twenty seventeen, like that was the best chance to get a to get in two hours a really good view of like forty of the top prospects, you know, rough raw power potential. It's just not bad anymore. It's not that event anymore from scouting perspective. It's just kind of like this curiosity almost as a television product, just like make it nine innings.
Speaker 4: Like, but you can.
Speaker 3: They're gonna say they don't want to wear out the pitching, but you can just like name five more pitchers per team to the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can just add more players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you could add more players. You can make the game longer, you can you can take it more. You can take the selection of the players more. Seriously, I thought this year was actually better than a lot of past years, and that weren't like too many, you know, like there were all a couple like Mark McGuire's kid was still there. They took Ryan Clifford as the Mets representative, and realistically those are not top prospects per se, although Clifford has been one of the past so at least I get that.
Speaker 4: But for the most part, they got they got most of the.
Speaker 3: Guys who are eligible for the game that should have been there were there, Like you know that there's a few guys I would have really liked to see.
Speaker 2: It was fun. The game was on in the bar somehow last night, and I saw and I just like looked up at one point and I was like, Jojo Parker is there. That's fun. So somebody paid no attention to the futures game for obvious reasons getting the draft, But.
Speaker 3: There's some value in just me having seen like j Parker's as like Joe J. Parker taking field and batting practice, Like it's not no value, it's just like with all value.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's what we think saw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Jojo Parker. I don't think it's the world's toughest evaluation anyway, kind of just you know, it's full swing and it's you know, medium power, and the hit tool feels like it should be better than it actually is.
Speaker 4: Like that's Jojo Parker.
Speaker 2: Definitely not running a showcase circuit contact rates anymore.
Speaker 3: But right, but they're still they're still above average. It's good, right, but yeah, like I will right him and Eli will its flipped hit tolls and that's not right. I mean you could have seen that one coming to like we did, Frank, I will draft right, Yeah, and there's still they're not one and two anymore. You know, Kate Anderson is the second best player out of that class right now. I think, well, cater cad is the second best player out of the group of players we poassibly would have ranked number one in that we have MS fine, right, we look, we had we had seth as Lalliver because we didn't think he could spend the ball because he couldn't spend the ball at the time. And it's a year later and he can really fucking spin the ball now. And that's the thing that happens when you're going when you're nineteen, like guys.
Speaker 2: Eight year about and we rank you top ten, that means we think you're very good. Like that's just.
Speaker 4: Like I wrote pretty much all the pitcher and the mids is fifth.
Speaker 3: They were kind of broke them out a little bit more this year by specialty, a lot of time suffering, and I just kind of split this stuff up by like, oh, you're right that guy, or I'll right that guy, or like you wrote that guy this year, I'll write that guy.
Speaker 4: You wrote that guy last year, all right the guy this year.
Speaker 3: This year I did the pitchers, the extreme riser guys, the ur Hartman types, and the draft guys, so basically the guys that I have kind of specialized and at least in character to death for it.
Speaker 4: And that also made it a lot.
Speaker 3: Being able to focus on the pitchers made a lot easier because I was able to do a lot of like one to one comms, but I I'm the one that wrote that I think Seth Fernandez is the best pitching prospect since we've gotten shape data, because I do not remember guy's shapes being this good at the point in his development that he was like that guy's he's getting dinged is having dead zone fastball shapes. And I am one hundred percent stories actually throwing two different fastballs and neither of them is dead ball, but when you average them together, it.
Speaker 4: Looks like a dead ball fastball. Same.
Speaker 2: So there was also risk in high school that like if with like the shape regression, then it would kind of get like he was doing a lot of like you know, maybe like seventeen seventeen fastballs, and it's like, okay, well with a pro ball, what does it look like? Any answers that it still looks fine, So it's.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, now now it's not seventeen seventeen. Now it's like seventeen to eleven, which is arguably better than seventeen seventeen. And there's also like I don't I don't know whether it's like a technical two seamer, but he's throwing a lot of like ten and nineteens, and like that's like a that's just like a really fuck like ten and nineteen of like ninety nine miles an hours, just like a really fucking nasty shape, especially when it's not.
Speaker 2: Your holy shit, his hands right like running and you throw.
Speaker 3: What might be an eighty change up and you can throw it to both sides of the plate with that fastball shape, also throwing a more you know, ride and run type fastball, and also all of a sudden he's spinning two like plus breaking. But like this is the I think these are the best shapes out of any prospect I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: A year ago, I was like a slutter at eighty five, and it's like.
Speaker 4: It's right, and we're tall.
Speaker 3: Because we're mostly gonna talk about the draft here, we're gonna talk a lot about what guys are throwing. And one of them and I hinted at this, I think and the Tanner Franklin blurb, but it was definitely a blurb and that they might have been zach Rude.
Speaker 4: A lot of.
Speaker 3: This has gotten really kind of theoretical for evaluating college pitchers because a lot of these guys what they are throwing in college, between differences in balls and especially differences in coaching and even differences in throwing to ping bats versus wood bats just is not what they end up throwing in the pros.
Speaker 2: Like I'll be talking about Jackson Flora right, this will be coming.
Speaker 3: Up Tanner Franklin that the Cardinals competitive ballance pick last year was a college reliever, fastball cutter, almost never threw anything else, and when he was in college, he threw like a small handful of like baby sweepers, and the Cardinals successfully projected off of that that they would be able to have him throw a plus full sweeper in the pros.
Speaker 4: And they were right. And that was not a pitch that he threw in college.
Speaker 3: Like it's just but based on like some of the traits, that was something that they thought would get there. Jackson Floyd is a good example of this in that we think he has some breaking ball traits that are going to lead to throwing better breaking balls and he's throwing now.
Speaker 4: Is that a safe way to describe that.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're still interesting. They're still interesting, Like it's it's his breakers move a ton, but they're kind of slow for how what the fastball velocity is. But we think just because those shapes are in there there's little cues you can get. Now, this isn't a perfect example because UCSB is actually very good at this stuff. One of the best pitching development schools in the country is actually for a mid major. They punch way above their weight. But we kind of see this capacity for essentially how easily he gets around the ball and the sort of shapes you can project out because of that, He's already done this to an extent as well, adding in a kick change before this year, which is another one of these pitches that we see these like these Supernation dominant guys throw and it became his best secondary in the college season. So we also think this is going to have downstream effects on fastball as well. His fastball's fine now, especially for the velo he like averages ninety six. We think he can even throw it a bit harder, but he's probably going to seam shift a sinker more in pro ball than he is now. We know he has that capability. The fastball shape is like fine, it's not amazing, So I think there's room to just like diversify the arsenal a ton throw a curve, you know, maybe more of a true cutter, sweeper combo as opposed to this like kind of weird hand of God Slider super Sweeper Company she he's throwing now that doesn't really have a ton of velocity behind it. So there's different ways you can go, especially with a guy who throws the ball like that. But and we were talking about like guys with upside is you know, to spoil what's coming in this podcast, But Flora is a guy we kind of see having this capability because of the release traits. There's a lot of room to play and because of how the art, how his delivery leads him to release the ball kind of superinated at release. We see him having these different avenues to go expand the arsenal in a bunch of different ways, right.
Speaker 3: And this is a guy who was in both practice and in draft position pretty much the best college fensure in the content.
Speaker 2: And he's great, like we love pretty.
Speaker 3: Well, and we're still kind of talking in these theoretical terms about what we expect him to do from a player development perspective and what changes we.
Speaker 4: Expect a pro team is going to make.
Speaker 3: So you can imagine if we're talking about like say William Peterson, who did not perform particularly well in college and I think I think, well, Florida has fired. They're pitching college, like you know, there's no other way to tuggercoat that one. And they've had a lot of guys underperform in their program and then turn out to be getsing pros and like.
Speaker 4: And then if you get further down, like you.
Speaker 3: Know, we start talking, we'll pull on one of my favorite weller around the two picks of the draft, Cal Randall, the UCLA reliever that the Cardinals drafted in the fifth round, kind of similar to Tanner Franklin. That guy through ninety percent fastballs is a middle reliever for at UCLA and we successfully predicted that a team is going to draft him as a starter, and the Cardinals drafted him as a starter, right, so jar get he will be.
Speaker 2: Talking a lot about the card in this podcast, by the way, and as convinced that he's a starter. It's I don't love the release traits and but it's definitely it'll be interesting to see because you can work with them.
Speaker 3: It's like fancy sticks through the upper miners as a starter.
Speaker 4: But historically special though, Like right.
Speaker 3: Historically you would look at a pick like that and go this guy's equick to the major's reliever.
Speaker 4: And that's just not how teams are thinking, right, So.
Speaker 3: You you would look at that, you would look at that demographic and go, there's no chance.
Speaker 4: There's a chance.
Speaker 1: All right, you brought up a Flora and let's let's kind of stick in the first round. Tell me who do you think out of the entire group, who's got the highest ceiling you talked about? Maybe Flora, there's more in the tank there who might have that all star profile if everything goes right. Who do you like there?
Speaker 2: For like the top guys, I'm interested in Grady Emerson. We did not rank him one, but I think if you're looking at like just pure upside between the power potential long term with the Ford and the defensive ability, I think that's a there's a ton of ceiling there. We ranked We ranked Rock one. We think Rocks a little more of a sure thing. He's a little more developed already. We kind of comp Rock to a Dansby Swanson type. But Great is definitely a fun player in his own right. Von Lack he's also great too. He was in that conversation. If we're leaving like the top four, the guys I highlighted were EJ. Booth, who went to the Orioles Athletic Powerhouse. Needs some work on the swing, but there's feel for contact, elite run times, elite bat speed. Jared Grindling are going to the Angels. Really really young two way talent. We think he should go both ways in pro ball, and I believe he will be. We'll see what we like him a little more as a bat, or at least I do a ton of feel for contact, so much projection on the frame, Like he's not hitting the ball hard at all. He barely even has the muscle to like actually get the bat in a position to hit the ball in the air. But it's it's pretty fun to it's funny to watch, but there's I think there's a lot of long term projection. And then going back to the back of the first round, we like Liam Peterson, not presently. We kind of alluded to him the Florida guy. We don't I wouldn't say we presently love him as much. He struggled to miss bats in the zone. The fastball plays down because of his really high release height. But we think with some mechanical tweaks, if you can get him into some like deeper positions in the delivery. We think there's a lot of room to to kind of make it more fluid, you know, lower the release height a bit through some mechanical changes, and then that I carry fast washing playoff and he's already spinning the heck Addison breaking balls, So you know, I think that's a good developmental place for him to be too. In Cleveland, they know what they're doing over there, so I'm excited to see what he can do.
Speaker 3: Michael took almost all of the guys I would mention, but I would throwing Chris o'copian the A and m infielder.
Speaker 2: I had him written down a different different part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's like not what you would traditionally think of his high upside, like athletic raw tools, that type of stuff. But based solely on the types of KPIs that we look at the types of underlying trait level statistics contact power swing this, you know, measurable power swing decisions, batted ball directionality. He was like the best offensive prospect out of the college ranks by like a lot.
Speaker 4: And sometimes that.
Speaker 3: Guy who just is the best offensive prospect out of the like he could just be an offensive monster.
Speaker 4: He could be an offensive monster pretty quickly, and he.
Speaker 3: Could be an offensive monster who ends up playing second or third base, even if it's not like the prettiest second or third base in the.
Speaker 4: History of the universe.
Speaker 3: So that's another guy that I think if you're looking at more of like a who has like the best like eightieth percentile offensive some war out Commet's probably him. And I think when people are talking about upside sometimes that actually is what they're talking about, even if they don't realize it.
Speaker 2: We'll also throw Drew Burris into that conversation, and this was I had. I had Buris Hacopian and one of the guys circled for like my favorite, just like favorite first round selection. Buris is a guy who's kind of weird because he's undersized, but has really performed at Georgia Tech for three years. Gets to really hard exit velocities, even like when you once you adjust for h for the metal bats, like it's some of the highest exits in the college class, and maybe you think, okay, a smaller frame, maybe it doesn't translate one to one in the way like you can't just like knock down four ticks of exit velow for everyone, sure, but really good exits, really good field to pull and lift the ball, decent enough contacted swing decisions. There's some issues with the swing. I'd say it can kind of get grooved, like go so hard to create this twitch that he can kind of like be susceptible to rolling over stuff moving away from him. But you do that, and I think he's fast enough where he can eventually learn centerfield. It's kind of been if he i'd say at Georgia Tech. But he's he's a good runner. He can go out and make some plays, So I think it is a long term center field profile. And then if we want to move to the prep side, kind of a similar not totally similar, but some directional similarities to Trevor Condon Ediwa high school guy also from Georgia, and he's just a really like total speed guy out in center can really go get it, makes a good bit of contact. We think there's some power in there. It's a good twitchy swing. He adjusted the leg kick some, got the ball in the air more his senior spring, So we think there's some really good stuff there as well. So if you want to see maybe a guy who's who like, we'll just accumulate wins in a bunch of different ways, playing some good center field defense. I think that's some ways you can also you can also project it out in that way.
Speaker 3: I also, if we want to scare everybody, he's like very clearly modeling his game after Pete Caro Armstrong, like just kind of in like mannerisms and stuff like that. And yes, you are old enough that people are modeling their games after if you want.
Speaker 2: And I just busted up my knee in work league softball, so you know it's it's coming for all of us. But also, Liam will kill me if I do not mention that Trevor Condon plays every game in a hoodie. Nice, and it's awesome. Nice, It's great.
Speaker 1: All right. So, yeah, you guys kind of mentioned some of your favorites from the first round here we're gonna look at. I think it's kind of silly to put grades on team selections right away, but was there any teams that, as the draft went on, kind of had you scratching your heads on maybe what was their strategy? Any teams that really stood out there?
Speaker 4: I'll take that one. The New York Metropolitans.
Speaker 1: I knew I knew we have.
Speaker 4: We have relatively liked.
Speaker 3: Their drafts the last couple of years at the time they were made. The twenty twenty five one doesn't look very good right now. Antoniojaman has turned out not to be able to hit, which is a thing that sometimes happens with pop up third rounder college guys. Peter Kussal immediately destroyed his shoulder, which is a thing that sometimes happens with print pitchers. And they haven't really gotten any super huge breakouts out of the lower round guys.
Speaker 4: All I've got a couple.
Speaker 3: Of guys that are stock up, like Whian Vincent camp Tilly, but then they also took a lot of injured guys that are just coming back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: The Mets this year went complete Galaxy brain.
Speaker 3: They took Carson Wiggins and gave him full slot at twenty seven, who was a player that both Michael and I liked very early on in the draft process. But here's the problem of Carson Wiggins. He threw fourteen college innings because he had a UCL injury. All of them were in relief. He's got this is this. If this was a third round pick for a million and a half bucks, I would have loved it as a reliever to starter conversion candidate at twenty seventh overall for full slot, I have no way to evaluate this because you need to make that pick. You have to have a pretty good feeling that this guy's going to be able to start, and I don't have it. Not only do I not have any idea whether he's going to start or not myself, I have no idea on what the Mets would be basing that decision on. There's a lot of non public information out there, including presumably Carson Wiggins's pitch data from the side sessions.
Speaker 4: He was throwing.
Speaker 3: Although I did talk to a couple of teams that also had that data and none of them were like blown away by it.
Speaker 4: It was not as good as.
Speaker 3: He was throwing in games in twenty twenty five before he got hurt, which of course it wasn't because he was throwing in shorts coming off a UCL repair. But like, conceptually I love reliever to start our conversion candidates, I just don't like them if the acquisition cost a full slot at twenty seven, right, So then they took Aiden Robbins in the third round, who, like absolutely strictly speaking, was good value where they took him, and there's not a bonus number out there for him. I expect him to be overslot, but not dramatically. So I like and Aiden Robbins was like our least favorite guy relative to where we ranked him in the entire top seventy five that we wrote. I think it was either him or Justin Lebron, who incredibly got overslot from the Reds.
Speaker 2: Like we'll get that.
Speaker 3: I like, yeah, like what what was his leverage that he was going to go back and hit under two fifteen conference play again?
Speaker 4: Because like yeah, like okay, sure body, but you know you go Red. That was another draft that I didn't particularly love.
Speaker 3: But like Robbins is like he transferred from Seaton Hall to Texas. He was like a really kind of cool, like mid major prospect when he was at Seaton Hall because the Biggest is basically a mid major now like really well rounded, you know it does a lot of things.
Speaker 4: Well type guy. And then he went.
Speaker 3: To Texas and like really started selling out for damage and didn't really do have enough damage while doing it to make that sellout worth it. So it's like what version of Aiden, Like he's a guy who's basically at some point done most things well, but not done any of.
Speaker 4: Them at the same time together.
Speaker 2: And this is probably what he did on the Cape is what you're looking for, Like he won the batting title on the Cape. But also we have our concerns with the swing. I did the Robins Report, we ranked him like forty five ish, I think, but you know, even in then we high that was great concerns here, Yeah, there are concerns with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it's fine, but like for that to be the guy that you were kind of building your draft strategy around, it's just like, is there enough upside here to actually have made Like is the good version of Aiden Robbins Worth having.
Speaker 4: Done this for I don't know.
Speaker 3: And then like they just like underneath that, they took like a lot of guys who are like perfectly fine for where they took them, but they didn't get like a lot of like they got a few of them, but they didn't get like a ton of like the elite trade elite trade guys they've been trying to go after.
Speaker 2: McNeil and Keenan are good. AJ Crudle is kind of your your Day three guy, you know, the UCSB guy actually he's staring like big extension, big carry, spitting the heck out of a sweeper like twenty inches, where if you could just get him like filling out his frame more, it could be pretty interesting. But there's also some command issues there.
Speaker 3: I know, some people, especially like the fan or like the blog type circles, were really excited about Alex Petrovic because he's kind of famous, because he was kind of a famous college player. Typically, if a famous college player is going on day two of the draft, they stink yeah, yeah, because like the Rentaio is actually like a really good example of this, like if a if a guy with that profile and it's not you know, versaile.
Speaker 4: Sometimes these guys turn out fine, but like yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Like you look at you know, I talked to some other teams about Petrovic and it was like, yeah, we had him turned in as like a sixth seventh day rounder, Like there's you know, he's fine. He might be like a fourthponth starter and that's that's just like yeah, Like they took like a lot of guys who they didn't. They took a lot of major conference guys without particularly interesting stuff going on, and then a few guys that had some interesting traits, and in the past few years they had leaned very heavily into taking like the really interesting traits guys up high, like the really interesting major college trades, guys up Hie Carson beinge.
Speaker 4: Mitch Floyd to.
Speaker 5: Some extent, and then behind that doing like really interesting out of the box things. And this year, like they Galaxy Brain the first pick and then took like a bunch of big conference performers essentially, which is just like, it's not like.
Speaker 3: A catastrophic draft. It was just not the draft I expected them to have.
Speaker 2: Right on the topic, if you're on the topic of college college performers, hang.
Speaker 1: On, Michael, I got a we gotta take a take a break real quick right here, and then we'll come back and we'll get we'll face up, we'll get Michael's thoughts on maybe his head scratching teams from this draft. Okay, we're back. So Michael, I want to start with you. And we heard about Jared and the Mets kind of draft strategy.
Speaker 4: Was it.
Speaker 1: Was there a team that kind of, uh you kind of questioned the way they went about the draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's hard, it's hard to judge it right now, right. But I think I think if we're on the topic of just taking kind of the college performers and not really thinking as much about traits, I think there's a couple of teams that kind of fit into this. The big one for me is actually the Mariners. It's a team I've I've liked a lot of their drafts in the past, especially last year. We thought it was one of one of our favorites. They started out taking Ace Reeze's like, fine, he's around where we ranked him. He's he's okay. He's a cornerback, he's got some field to pull and lift. It's not exceptional in any way. And then they followed it up with Bohm, Right, big boy hit homer. He listen. It looks good when he hits a homer, and we think he's okay. Then they followed it up with Jake Brown and Nathan Taylor, neither of which are guys we were ever particularly high on Jake Brown. There there was some stuff in the combine with like forced plate data. So if you want to squint in your eyes and see maybe he can get a little more impact, that is a way it could happen. But it is kind of a college performer, famous name, big high school or pretty swing Nathan Taylor Cincinnati, like really slider heavy guy. I think this is a little more interesting because the Mariners are so smart at pitching. Maybe they think there's ways to further optimize the arsenal, but it's not a great fastball. And then down the board they essentially did not take a prep at all. They took a Dominic Santarelli in the eighteenth round, which seems more like a you know, like one of those backup picks, especially with his LSU commitment. Hayden Yost is like kind of interesting. He added power as the season went on at Florida. But overall this was very much a draft that like wasn't for us, just not the way we'd go about it if we want. We mentioned the Reds earlier as well. I think the Reds did do some interesting things on Day two with the picks of Duncan, Marston, Sherman Johnson, Kenny Ishikawa down the board, but we did not really like the beginning of the draft. Justin Lebron as a guy just didn't hit in conference play, didn't really have exceptional exit velocities. There was some swing decision issues. He's a great athlete, He's going to play a great shortstop. You could certainly see how it can get better, but to give him overslot, to give him five mil at pick eighteen was just not what we would have done. And then Eric Becker was a guy who went a little ahead of where we ranked him, but another guy with some swing decision issues, hit a lot of you know, really struggled to optimize his spray profile. And then they followed that up with Mulliva Lavoue, the first baseman. You know, maybe you can run him out at third base, but we you know, played first basement at UCLA and just a really weird swing that we're not sure how it plays. Again, I don't hate every pick. I like ty Horn who they followed it up with, but just not a draft we would do. And then the last one I'd shout out is the Phillies taking Tyler Spangler, a guy we were not super huge on for a couple of reasons. Caden Bogan Pull is someone we've kind of questioned if they can hit. Will Gasparino is a guy I really question if he can hit. I've seen him just get eaten up with like ninety two up in the zone. Again, I think, like the Reds, they did some interesting things. Ruey Rojas is an interesting senior signed guy. Devin Sheeran is a pretty interesting like he started out at Mount Saint Mary's before transferring to LC, which is funny. He was starting like ninety nine at Mount Saint Mary's and everyone was going like, how the heck did this happen? Bo Rudy really interesting like fastball traits if you want to find like the next thing. He's not Tanner Franklin because he doesn't throw that hard, but like really interesting fast small reliever at Tennessee who throw strikes and might be able to expand the arsenal. So there's like, there are some interesting things, but it's it's very much just not what we would have done on that side either.
Speaker 1: Right, right, So we kind of we've touched on a lot of the big names in the draft. Let's narrow it down to a specific tool I want. I want each of you kind of thinking, give me, give me like one player where there might be some flaws in the profile, but maybe they have a seventy or eighty grade tool somewhere in the scoutering report and any guys like that that you saw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were a few. For me. A fun one is Miles Bailey, draft eligible sophomore from Florida State. We go to the Cubs and just the power, the best exit velocities in the class, Just thunderous homers, right, they would go. It just looked different off his back, significant significant with issues and an injury. So I'm not sure if he'll actually be getting to that, but when he gets into one, it's very fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Is he strictly a first baseman?
Speaker 2: I believe he was playing outfield actually, but I would have to double check on that. I mean, that's a profile where you just the entire question is or he was playing first base. Yeah, so he's it's a it's just a masher. Yeah, but you know it's the entire profile is just Kenny Head. I think it's almost definitely, And now he has actually he has played third end corner outfield at times in college. So we'll see, but I don't really think that's what's important in the profile there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll throw one more guy in there because I feel like if we don't mention him at some point during here, people are going to go why didn't you mention him, which is Martin Sheelar with Red Sox round pick.
Speaker 4: Yes, course we rid him as a mid first rounder. He just signed today.
Speaker 3: For a million and a half, so he did not get quite that much, but he did get you.
Speaker 1: Know, he was actually a he was a ninth router. That's where he got correct.
Speaker 4: Yes, he went in the ninth round. They gave him a million and a half.
Speaker 3: They cut like almost three million dollars with Jake Schaffner at at what tick did they have like twenty and it was just twenty and they cut like he got Yeah, he got less than half slot at twenty. And they did that to fund a bunch of really interesting prep picks. We thought the most interesting was she Lar, but they got several other guys and like that.
Speaker 4: Kind of like blows they went over a well.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think he got like two million in the third They got the kid in the tenth round.
Speaker 4: The pitcher is kind of what.
Speaker 2: He's a huge extension guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got like some really interesting trade properties. But Stela was the guy who we liked the most. We're not the only people that had him as a first rounder. That also created some discourse because like they quote consensus media on him was like that he was a third or fourth rounder, but there absolutely were people that had him in the first round. There were people with teams that had him in the first round, and it was a very kind of this is either very much for you or.
Speaker 4: It's not profile. Seventy power by circuit.
Speaker 3: If you take his circuit showcase stuff, it face value plus back to ball ability. There is skepticism over the equality of competition he faced on the showcase circuit, and there's a lot of skepticism on his swing.
Speaker 4: He has a very deep.
Speaker 3: Kind of you know, kind of kind of janky looking type swing. This is this is not a comp It is only a swing comp but there's like some like Barry Bonds type swing stuff. Literally nobody other than Barry Bonds has really ever made that type of swing work, and a lot of people have.
Speaker 4: Tried, so like there was just like there's a lack.
Speaker 3: Of industry consensus about his value, both on the media and team side. But I think even that detractors are like, this guy's got seventy power and he has a history of hitting for contact, Like so there's stuff there, right, and to pull him for like a million and a half and the ninth round. Like a kid with seventy power who has some feel to hit, even if he even if you don't like his athleticism, even if you don't like his swing mechanics. I think that's a really nifty pick that you might be able to do some thing with.
Speaker 4: Like this is a lot of what this is. This has, This has a lot.
Speaker 3: Of similarities to them popping Roman Anthony in the late second. Obviously it's a later pick, it's a little less money, but it's kind of the same brought profile and obviously that to get a Roman anthen up being the top prospect in the game and went healthy, has been an excellent major league player, and Bostin tends to be really good at developing these one toll power guys and like maximizing out their power and also getting them to hit like a little bit. So we're kind of excited to see that that's where he that's the fit he landed with. He signed, which there were definitely signability questions with him. There were, you know, there was there were ideas that it might require a lot more than one point five million to sign him, and that he might go through some seeing was seeing an old miss or Mississippi.
Speaker 4: State comm out. I think, yeah, yeah, and they do that some kids to campus.
Speaker 3: Some One of the most underrated stories of the last couple of drafts is how much nil money teams are throwing around, not just their prep eyes, but in that college eligible guys at this point. And that's become a real, a real interesting thing to track in the draft now that there's just like a lot of nil money floating around. In some cases kids can and especially considering they can catch it twice right, you're still gonna be able to catch in your bon as later, even if it's.
Speaker 4: Not as high as a ball and as right.
Speaker 3: But you know, there are there are high six, little seven figure in IL packages out there now, which is not something that was happening even a few years ago.
Speaker 1: So the mid season fifty came out today at a VP, and you know, Schiller kind of reminds me of a guy that's on it, Josiah Hartshorn. We ranked the thirty seventh overall. I know he was an overslought guy from last year as a sixth round prep I believe yes, and I think we can kind of classify him as a sleeper prospect that made a huge jump. Give me a couple of guys middle to late round guys from this draft that we might be talking about next year making the same type of jump.
Speaker 4: We're already burned. All On, I think you got more. I got more. I could probably more.
Speaker 2: Here. All right, we'll start out with this is my favorite part, because this is we've also been very BA focused. I feel for a lot of thought and it's time to start talking about some weird arms. I'll start with a couple of cubs, so Isaac Morton and then Ariston vis So Morton Minnesota starter. Actually not the only Minnesota arm.
Speaker 4: We really like.
Speaker 2: University of Minnesota arm. We really liked Cole Selvig was also a guy who we thought had some interesting traits, but just really really interesting East West shapes and Veilo. We think that's like just the Sacre sweeper. Maybe it's a relief profile. I would run him out as a starter. See what you have, it's it's really just really really good sweeper, spins the heck out of the ball. And then, if you want the really deep cut, Ariston vis a guy who only he went from Alabama to Clemson only as of like a year or two ago became a full time pitcher, but he's in as a reliever. Was like mid nineties twenty ver cut ride fastball with this big breaker off it. It's definitely not a like a polished profile at all from an either strike throwing or shape perspective. But to pop a guy on what's essentially what I call day three what used to be day three past the tenth round with like these sorts of like hoppy cut ride fastball up to like ninety eight ninety nine with breaking ball potential, I think there's so much untapped room to add pitches and you know, get the strike throwing going. That. For another one, I'll talk about Jacob Haley. So we loved the Cardinals draft, our favorite drift. He was my favorite draft of any team. Jacob Haley was a guy we flagged. I flagged in a ten pack before he made it onto anyone's boards just from it was like twelfth, fifteen or twenty innings at South Alabama where he was throwing this like really interesting combination of like a low mid nineties kind of hoppy fastball with big extension getting to like a gyro slider in the mid upper eighties and then throwing a banger curve off that, so we I ten packed him as like this is kind of interesting. I know nothing about him. He's throwing once a week and he went to the Cape and ended up striking about striking out a bunch of guys and got popped, I believe in the eleventh or twelfth by the Cardinals. So I'd like to see him develop as a starter and see what you have there. He did end up making it onto a few boards. But yeah, those are just a couple there. I mean, I could talk about the late round guys all day, but those are those are three that I'd highlight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's I'll throw on a couple more here, because you know I can.
Speaker 4: I can come up with a few.
Speaker 3: Alex one Gartner was a to a South Jersey prep.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: I'm using heart Charn to let myself cheat a little bit on guys that are actually getting like second and third round bonuses, because cart Jarn.
Speaker 4: Got the second round bonus in the sixth round. One Gardner was a thing. It's like a fifth or six round pick.
Speaker 3: He went to the White Sox U two a guy kind of really interesting athletic upside.
Speaker 4: We had him eat in the second round.
Speaker 3: We thought he might go in the second round, just kind of like a really interesting guy that has like a bunch of interesting things going on. We suspect he's probably going to hit as a pro. We have major questions about his hit toll. But there's like a really big power speed combination here. If like positive things end up happening, and sometimes those colder weather guys just like really pop off once again into a pro development. This is a really extreme example of that, as Eric Cartman, who was not in our Braves top ten coming into the season and we just ranked as a top thirty prospect in baseball because he picked up like five grades of measurable power this year. I'm not like exaggerating here, because average eason velocities went up seven miles an hours, ninety percent pile likes and velosities went up like five or six. Like this is like this is actually like five grades I measurable. This is a guy who coming into the season in measurable power projection was grading out at twenty grade and is now grading out at seventy grade relative to age. And that just like is a thing that usually doesn't happen but he's from like the middle of no where in Alberta, Canada, which is literally Alberta has literally never.
Speaker 4: Produced a major league caidder.
Speaker 3: It's produced a couple of pictures, but it's never produced a major including Michael Soroca, but literally never produced the major league hitter.
Speaker 4: And it's like, yeah, like I don't know if.
Speaker 3: Like when Gartner's actually gonna hit his a pro, but like there's a lot of really interesting upside here and just like for a sixth round pick in a third round bonus, like that's not.
Speaker 4: That's not to me a bed pick.
Speaker 3: And the other guy, I I am really owen owen, Henny, did I get that right? Michael the Cardinal's sixth the Cardinals sixth rounder they took out of.
Speaker 4: A D two school, who is just like that.
Speaker 3: He was He was the best hitter in D two last year and he went to a tracked MLB partner.
Speaker 4: Summer league and put up some really.
Speaker 3: Interesting KPI data And I have no clue if this is actually going to hold up long term, but for a sixth round pick that I don't think. Yeah, I think it was the draft league, like it was like killer swing decisions and like non zero like contact and power ability after having played really really I mean, this guy hit four hundred with power in D two and there's just like, if you're gonna take guys like that with you know, contrasting this with the Mets, I want guys that may have been overlooked, right because like guys to guys who hit like three ten at all, Like three guys who put up the three four five at Auburn and are still there in the sixth round generally are not particularly good. Because if you put up the three four five at Auburn and you're good, you went in the first round. If you put up the three point five a three four five or you know, obviously in this case much better than that at Division two Seaton Hill, people may have just missed you, and like you've got like some hope there with that pick.
Speaker 4: So that's another guy that I just like. That was like a the Cardinals, like every.
Speaker 3: Guy they took there was like a real reason to like the pick at the point that they made him. They took uh their third round pick whose name is eluding me, and I feel like, no seconds, yes, you know who this guy we had in the middle of the first round and they got for slot in the slot in the compound. Caden Ferraro was another guy who was pretty close to Cocopian in terms of like current KPIs now. Jacopian did that for three years in major conferences. Ferraro was a junior transferver did it for one year. In some ways, this mirrors and Tonio Jamanez picked that. I the kind didn't work out for the meds, but like that's like a shot for I was like no defensive value whatsoever.
Speaker 4: But this is a guy who plausibly in terms of KPIs.
Speaker 3: Was one of like the five or six best college hitters in the country last year, and you got him in the third round, you know, not as a.
Speaker 2: Fastball trade guy like that. It's just Nick Bond in the tent was like one of my favorite favorite senior signs guy because he throws like from the nineteen twenties but it tops out at one hundred and it's it's so fun.
Speaker 3: Rocco Maniscalco, who you mentioned, has like as much measurable power as like any seventeen year old and like the big data draft.
Speaker 4: Era, like ever Andrew.
Speaker 2: Williamson, if you can fix the swing, it's good, like.
Speaker 3: Right, like Madiscalco absolutely probably can't hit, which is why that guy was available with the fiftieth overall pick, Because if a guy had some of the best measurable power ever as a guy who is like a year and a half young for the draft class and had any high chance of hitting, he would have went in the first three picks in the country.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: However, we see all the time guys who have very little feel for contact when they're seventeen years and one month old. By the time they're like twenty, you have pretty good feel for contact. I mentioned Roman Anthony earlier. Roman Anthony at times as a showcase circuit kid could look like he could.
Speaker 4: Not hit at all.
Speaker 3: James Wood as a circuit showcase kid looked like he could not hit at all at times. And Manascalco has got a lot of runway to develop that to ball feel. And if he does that, that's a kid who has a chance to be a top global prospect in a couple of years because he's so young and has so much power for the age. Because usually guys that have like plus major league beats speed when they're again seventeen years one month old continue to develop more bat speed when they get older.
Speaker 4: This was the junior Kavanaro thing, right.
Speaker 3: He had so much batspeed and so much power so young, and he now literally has the best batspeed the sport. So like the Yeah, the Cardinals did a lot of stuff that we like. I also want to shout out because I never shout this team out. They never get any praise from analysts like us. The Atlanta Braves constantly make demographic picks that I hate of players that I like within the demographics that I hate, and then you never hear them in best draft conversations because it's always dem Like they get Jensen.
Speaker 4: Kurshcorn four million dollars.
Speaker 3: I personally would not have given Jensen Hirshcorn four million dollars. I understand why they did. All their picks are live. They always take like the best versions of these guys, especially when they're giving them lots of money, like you know Aj Grassio.
Speaker 4: Would I have really taken Aj Grossi as high as they did.
Speaker 3: No, But they got to cut there, and we liked aj Glossia more than a lot of other people.
Speaker 4: We had him ranked in the middle of the round.
Speaker 3: A lot of people had him ranked at the back of the round, and like that's a live pick, and that allowed them to take purse porn for the Hurst, Corn.
Speaker 4: And Grassia got the same bonus money.
Speaker 3: And like, it is not my personal flavor to give that type of projectability high school arm four million dollars.
Speaker 4: I would rather give a cup. I'd rather spread that money out to college guys with good trades.
Speaker 3: However, they seem to hit on these guys an awful lot, which means they're doing it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Like you also, you took Kayden McCarthy, you took Jensen Hirst, Corn, you took Cole Dennis and Tyson Grokowski. Well, now like two of those can hit or one and a half right, you know, and that's still like value just because you have a bunch of ice at the apples anumbers that we think are interesting in some way. I'll also shout out Carter Deck and Domki as guys I love.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love carter Back.
Speaker 3: Carter Back, if somebody had taken him in the third round would have been one of my shoutouts for this. The Braves took him in with a comp pick, so he wasn't a shout out.
Speaker 4: He was a huge cut. He was straight up the.
Speaker 3: Best mid major KPI guy in the draft, like he just was he had one of he just had outrageously good zone contact and damage indicators put together, like right up there with the Pacobean. But he was a mid majors guy, and you know he did that for unlike uh, the Cardinals guy.
Speaker 4: He did that for three years.
Speaker 3: But one of them was that you know, he started out at a non D one school and transferred up, but he only transferred up to a mid major. But you know he's he was basically mid major cris Like that's the profile they got yea and absolutely Canadian, Canadian, but there's there's you want players that have more.
Speaker 4: Developmental runway for their aid.
Speaker 3: So guys, by the way, right, guys that are from Row Row instruction areas two way guys, Guys that didn't play a lot and earlier in college, guys that played at lower levels.
Speaker 4: Those guys always have more runway.
Speaker 3: Like our favorite picks in the draft, and there really wasn't a good one this year, but we love taking like draft eligible sophomore two ways, like those guys just always have like way more developmental runway than anything, right right.
Speaker 1: All right, We're gonna wrap it up there gentlemen. Great job, Like always on the draft coverage, you guys knocked it out of the park. Thanks for joining me today, for the listeners, thanks for listening. If you haven't already, check out the mid season fifty up today at Baseball Perspectives. Also go back looked at the draft work that Michael and Jarrett and and Liam that those guys did, and thanks again, Thank you gentlemen, and we will see you next time.