Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Constance Radio.
Speaker 2: The big story today, the only really big story today is the election of an American as the two hundred and sixty seventh Pope of the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Leo the fourteenth.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Anyone who predicted it. Maybe someone can tell me they predicted it, But no one who I know who predicted it. I never thought there ever would be an American elected pope. Now I realized that this is a different sort of American, someone who was born here, educated here, and has spent much of his time as a priest and as a bishop in Peru and in Rome. But he is still an American. I was watching ABC News tonight, ABC World News tonight and they had he has two brothers who were I think he's the youngest the family. Actually, one lives in Florida, one lives in Chicago. Your reaction, and again, your reaction may very well be predicated by who you are and your experience. We had, Oh, we had a tough call from Peggy and West Roxford. Her family had suffered so much. Harvey Silverglay talked last hour about how this is a generational switch for the Catholic Church generational and a young pope who is a disciple of Pope Francis, who has appointed eighty percent of the cardinals who elected this young pope. And again young pope sixty nine years of age. It's all relative, okay, it's all relative. If you're sixty nine these days, you're too old to be a baseball manager, but you're young and you're considered young as a pope.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 2: So I just want to hear from you on this one. We have full lines. We're going to get to everybody as quickly as we can.
Speaker 3: Next up, Joe was in Chelms.
Speaker 2: For Joe, We're going to just start it right off and talk to as many folks as possible. Your reaction to this historic.
Speaker 4: Day, Yeah, hey Dan, Hawaiia, like your question was, was just an important day for you, and see it was very first of all, hope you're doing well. We've met each other before and BC is actually in Hawaii right now. He just got there. But on the top of your hand.
Speaker 3: Where yeah, where I'm sorry, your son is? Where?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: BC?
Speaker 4: BC from North Chalunce for our friend. Oh yeah, why visit his son of the nave?
Speaker 2: So oh okay, Okay, I know who you're talking about BC now, like, yeah, probably most of the time he's in Erie, Pennsylvania, So I wasn't you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So this meant a lot to me. And I'll tell you I was home today one of the get stuff done around the house. I saw the news that you know, President Trump had the big announcement on the trade deal, so I had the TV on and then the news also said they were anticipating maybe an announcement. And I'll tell you what I liked. While you say you're an imperfect Catholic, I think we all are right. But I've been going to church more lately and been finding peace with that. But I'll tell you I had chilled seeing the smoke. And you had mentioned Cardinal Dolan earlier, and he's actually a family friend and my uncle, my namesake uncle taught him years ago and he's his mentor since past. Yes, he's now since path And the last time I actually saw Cardinal Dolan, he came up from New York to be at the funeral, being the type of good guy that he is and family friend. Yeah, I met him years ago at the American College, visiting my uncle in Rome. And he actually ran the American College and my uncle was teaching with him back where they you know, in Rome when they first met.
Speaker 3: Was your uncle a Catholic priest? Was your uncle a Catholic privis?
Speaker 4: Yeah, out of a small order based out of Walthame. And that's the Sigma Teeing priest that is now not the Fisal Center is now shut down. It's new high school. There not another story.
Speaker 6: Another thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a big fan of Cardinal Dolan. I think that he represents what is best about the Catholic Church. He has a great ability to communicate. If you ever talked to him, tell him. I'd love to have him join us some night on the show, just to just to let people listen to him. I mean, he talks theology, but he doesn't talk as a theologian. He talks about it as somebody would talk from one human being to another. And that's a special gift in my opinion. And I hope you can identify with what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely do. I follow him on Instagram and it really is. He just teaches, what if there's a special Day of the Saints or what ever happened, and he's got he's pretty well schooled in it's a nice little bit of uh.
Speaker 3: He's primarily a communicator.
Speaker 2: I think about you know, Cardinal Sean, who we had here, who seemed to be terrified of the media, just terrified. I remember one time I was at a it was an auction. It was a fundraiser for the Merry and Brett food pantry over in Dorchester, and Cardinal law was there up on the stage and I was the auctioneer, and so I had a cut off Bill Belichick autographed sweatshirt that someone had donated through Belichick, and we're going to raise some money. I mean, we're talking about a couple of thousand dollars. And so I looked over and I realized that card was sitting there. He didn't look particularly comfortable, but I said, cardoal came here for a second, I need someone to model this. He wouldn't put it on, but I had him sort of hold it up behind me, and I think we got a couple of grand for it. So that was the most I think that's the most fun he's had in a while, in my opinion.
Speaker 4: So for a split second dance today, I went so when I figured it was gonna be a while before the pulpe came out to Falcony and be up point. Who would have ever thought? Although, because I know Cardinal Dolan and I know he's well respected, bot of me was like, oh wow, I go back out dropping some grass seed in the backyard. I come back in and I see American pope. I got goosebumps even thinking about it. I thought I was gonna know the pope.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you last night I was talking with Tom Groom and I said that I'd love them to see to uh, you know, pick an American pope.
Speaker 3: My favorite was was Cardinal Dowan.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I did not know even of whom Cardinal pre vote was or is and now he's Leo the fourteenth. So uh But I said, but I don't think they'll have a pick an American pope. So I was wrong on two points. One I did it, and they didn't pick Cardinal Dolan Joe years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: One last thing is so the odd thing you know, it's not Cardinal Dolan family friend. I did look him up though, in the pope Leo. You know Robert Francis free Will. He did go to the angelicam College, So I would I'm sure my now past uncle, my namesake, I'm sure he knew him and probably even taught him.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you what if I were you, what I would do.
Speaker 2: If I were you, I would send him a nice congratulatory note and mention your uncle, and I would be stunned if you didn't get a personal letter back.
Speaker 6: I will, and I'll keep you posted.
Speaker 2: Please keep me posted, because I think that those sorts of letters, when the congratulations and I don't know if you ever you know we were instructed by my uncle and put his name down there at the Angelica College, I think that's the sort of note that they weed that stuff out, you know, the note that says, oh, congratuate relations, I'm delighted for you, okay, But when this personal connection, that stuff will get to him and you'll get an answer from it. And I want to get a phone call back from you when you get that and you can read it in the air.
Speaker 3: All right, Thanks Joe.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 3: This year we did the We did.
Speaker 2: A brunch the other day, so uh a week and a half ago on Sunday, and it was a big event.
Speaker 3: We had a one hundred and seventy eight reservations.
Speaker 2: It was unbelieve we had two seatings at this restaurant in Westwood. So I'll keep you posted, I promise, and please sayhead a BC for me.
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks man, thank.
Speaker 4: You and shouts lightning.
Speaker 3: We will do that.
Speaker 6: She was there.
Speaker 3: You would have met her if you if you'd gone to the brunch.
Speaker 6: I know he was the head of the brunch.
Speaker 2: I think they came to see her, not to see me. Thanks job, Thank you much. One line six one seven, quick break, coming right back, got the lines. Only line is six one seven. Your reaction to the appearance today the election of an American is pope, which I never thought would happen. Now, if you're going to tell me that you knew it was in the in the cards, that's okay. I'm not gonna believe you, but you can tell me that back on nights out after this.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Let's keep rolling here, trying to get as many people in as quickly as possible. Look at all sorts of reactions. Terry down to the Cape, Terry on Cape Cod, welcome back.
Speaker 3: How are you tonight?
Speaker 7: I dare nice to talk to you. Congratulations on your little colleague. By the way, you'll keep you with a smile and aspling in your step.
Speaker 2: Caroline, Happy grand baby, Caroline.
Speaker 7: Yes, I thank you for your kind words. A National Nurses Day that was really great.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: A good friend reminded me of that day, but I wouldn't have forgotten it anyway.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Terry.
Speaker 7: I am pleasantly surprised of a new Catholic first time pope. May God bless his ministry from the get go. It'll be interesting to see if this revitalizes the Catholic Church in America. I think that it has potential and in a real good way. I have real good feelings about it. I think they have a lot of healing and a lot of things to change. And I do believe that post Francis Pitt his success or before and kind of gave him an internship in Rome. Well my minutia, and that's all I have of knowledge here. Instead, Pope Princess choose him to actually interview new cardinals that were up for appointment by the Pope. So he got to meet all of these people, interviewed them, and he kind of groomed them.
Speaker 2: Grooming, of course, is a bad word these days.
Speaker 7: Tom Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think what you were basically saying is he probably uh introduced himself in a nice way to a lot of the people who turned out to be the electors.
Speaker 3: Ironically.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, But I think that the Pope trusted his abilities to have him be his successor and delemann internship in it. Well, he was still able to do it.
Speaker 3: I think you're right.
Speaker 8: It's brilliant.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting because although this pope, the new Pope, spent a lot of time in Peru, he is still.
Speaker 3: A native born American and.
Speaker 2: There's always been sort of a weary relationship between the Vatican and the American Catholic.
Speaker 8: Church always yeah and uh.
Speaker 3: And so this, uh, this is at least a truce. And uh.
Speaker 2: I never thought I would see an American pope in my lifetime. And I suspect you we are. So let's hope I agree with you.
Speaker 7: I was hoping for Cornel Dolan. I seem yeah, I was phenomenal.
Speaker 2: The word I used for him is he's he's garrulous. I mean, he's wonderful. He's so effusive and and he seems to always have a smile on his face, and he can he can preach but he doesn't do it.
Speaker 7: To preaching children. He's been so chosen for what he does, and he's so perfect. Got it really New York.
Speaker 2: If he was in another city, maybe it wouldn't work. But in New York it absolutely works. Terry, Thank you so much. Won't be too long before we'll see one another.
Speaker 7: Summer's absolutely Do you have a wonderful night, Dan. I'm glad I got my voice back so I could call you.
Speaker 3: You sound great, You sound great.
Speaker 7: Thanks, took too soon, Jenny, Bye bye, Dan.
Speaker 2: By bye. We'll keep going here. Gonna go to Bernie up in New Hampshire. Bernie, appreciate your patience next time.
Speaker 5: Night Sacer right ahead, say thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 3: Dan, Thank you for calling it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so real quick.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I was was Roman Catholic. I remember going up Yo Leins for my alt the boy outfit my mother in my eye, and my mother was just so proud, you know, he was just so proud. No, And then I went to a small college, top school in uh East Boston, Tom Savio. It was run by Jesuits, so it was run by Jesuits, so I was familiar with the discipoint of the Jesuits.
Speaker 6: And it gave me a.
Speaker 5: Good, good foundation for my wife, you know, and that always stuck with me. And I remember sitting with my mother watching the folk come to Boston. She was so proud. And the only thing is she died last June and passed away. And I think she would have been so proud of having an American vote. But the second part of what I'm calling is I just believe, like like he both Princess like, as a president, well pick some Freme Court justices to influence his beliefs and what he wants to go through. I believe that's what Both Princess did. He set up to keep his because we know, we know the scandal all that, and Francis acknowledge that he acknowledged it. It was a terrible thing. And and he's and he's trying to include all other people into the church and revitalizing He's at the importance of the American Church, and it is very important and Catholicism, it's influential, it's very financially supportive. And although I think that he thought this as being able to revitalize the Roman cap with church in this country.
Speaker 6: And it's a good day for our country.
Speaker 5: It's a good day. Even though we, like you said, he's he's a dual citizen, it's still it's still an honor. He's an American and he understands the what what what the church bases to go forward. And I think it's a good day. That's my opinion.
Speaker 3: No, I agree with you. I coul occur with everything that you said.
Speaker 2: And I do think that this might be the moment in time which the timing is right.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 2: I remember and John Paul second became pope, people said, oh my god, that's the first non Italian pope in in a long long time. And uh, the church had now spread out and picked a non Italian. And then they've followen up with Benedict who was from Germany.
Speaker 3: Uh and uh.
Speaker 2: And the next was the Francis who was from I call it South America. People will call it Central America. I still call it South America. And now from the United States. I was actually thinking that we might have seen the pope from Asia or Africa. Uh, and that will probably be the next point. I think that the church they thought about being the universal Church.
Speaker 5: I think that is now trying to live up to that reputation. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Thank you as always for your calls, uh and for your support of this program, and thanks for joining us down. It was the important point you made and there's nothing I could disagree with there, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, you sir, have a good night. Thanks Bernie. Keep us in touch with your son. Okay, tell us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're doing go ahead, Thank you, thank.
Speaker 3: You, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: You would take a quick break here, we're a minute or so early. I don't want to short change anyone, so if you're on the line, stay there. We'll get to you fairly quickly. I promise I have two lines open, so the next three calls will be Joe, Inn, Tina, and Alex in that order, and then Room at six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty and at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Your perspective, and I would love to hear from non Catholics too, or even people who are agnostic, are atheists, feel free. It's a My audience spans the country and we span all sorts of religions and non religions as well. If you're up in Canada, love to hear from me as well. Let's join this conversation. Coming right back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Fas bats, I want to say in the springtime or baseball bats. Okay, let me go Nick to Joe Ann and Waldam. Joe Anne, welcome. You are next on night Side. Your thoughts on the elevation the election today of Pope Leo the fourteenth.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Hi, Dan, Yeah, I was surprised, Charlot. It's wonderful. Yeah, it's wonderful.
Speaker 2: I never would have I was trying to understand the name as it was being read in Latin. I was saying, yeah, good luck with that, Dan, the Latin that didn't hang with you after.
Speaker 3: All these years. Yeah, it was like whoa.
Speaker 2: And and you could tell that the anchor people didn't understand that either. And wow, And when you realize in a second it was it was an Americano. It was stunning, just stunning, it was.
Speaker 10: It was.
Speaker 9: Yeah. I was watching the whole thing too. The crowds were amazing, the people.
Speaker 2: They came out of nowhere. I mean, yeah, but again, it is Rome. Okay, I guess you know, I guess.
Speaker 9: Well, And a lot of that is probably in the you know, a lot of the people were in the Vatican. It's what a mile you know, mile wide.
Speaker 3: Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 2: It's it's more listed in acreage, that's for sure.
Speaker 9: Right, right. But yeah, I won't say I was disappointed, but I was hoping, you know, he spoke Latin, Italian and Spanish. I was hoping he'd say a little something in English.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I think that he intended not to do it that way because I think that he did not want to.
Speaker 9: Be too American.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, I think he wanted to be, uh, you know, the the universal representative of the church.
Speaker 9: Right right. And you said you saw his brothers, I did too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was on on channel five.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I forgot which channel.
Speaker 3: It was, Jedi five. Well maybe they were on the others, but the one I saw was on five.
Speaker 2: And there was one guy in Florida and the other guy was still living in Chicago, and I guess they keep in touch and.
Speaker 3: All of that.
Speaker 9: He said they speak every week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sounded like a pretty normal family.
Speaker 9: Which, yeah, and he was the youngest. But the the one of the brothers said when they were kids, remember that, when they were kids, he said, oh right, that.
Speaker 2: They would be said they'd be playing cowboys and Indians or whatever, and or and the soldiers.
Speaker 9: He was playing priest he wanted to be a priest. And they'd set up the ironing board was the altar, and uh yeah, he said. We'd sit there and he'd pretend saying, man. Yeah, when he was a little kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just you wonder, you just wonder what is meant to be? But yeah, they were very nice people. It struck me as a really nice family. They must have been brought up very well and kind of old school, because obviously they were.
Speaker 3: He was the youngest.
Speaker 2: He was born in nineteen fifty five, so his older brothers probably were well also baby boomers sometimes born after World War Two. And I'm sure that if you went back and talked about his parents, I'm sure that they were just typical, typical couple who met in Chicago or whatever, and they had three boys in their family and that was it. And one of them turns out to be pope. What a long shot? Who would have expected that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, like you, I never dreamed they would pick an American. But I think God is at work. Well, I pray that wonderful pope.
Speaker 2: That's what the church says. I mean, I've I'm old enough to remember this.
Speaker 3: This is my seventh pope.
Speaker 2: Okay, during that same period of time, we probably have had close to a dozen presidents, so you know pope's the presidents can only last eight years. Francis he lasted twelve years. Benedict had eight years, which was considered a short term. John Paul the Second he lasted twenty seven years, twenty seven years from seventy eight to two thousand and five. His predecessor was there only a month. Paul the sixth was there for fifteen years. John the twenty.
Speaker 9: Third was there for five years, and Past the twelfth.
Speaker 2: Before that was there for twenty one years. So they get different periods of time. And let's see, let's see what this gentleman can do. Joey and I gotta keep rolling here always great, dear your voice, Thank you so much.
Speaker 9: Yeah, great, mine, thanks, thank you, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Let me go next to Antina in wunsokt Rhode Island. Tina, you are next, and love to know what you think of what transpired today.
Speaker 8: Well, all I know is what happened today was for me personally, I was so extremely happy and elated. And however, listening to your program and what you were saying about what it meant to an individual when John Pope Paul the second became pope, and I am Polish American, my whole family is Polish. That was the happiest day of my life.
Speaker 6: It was Wow.
Speaker 8: It was And at the time that he became the Polish Pope, Pope Poland really needed him and and the Polish Pope was on the world scene, and he helped to elevate Poland and the Polish people, and he also helped to bring down communism along with Ronald along with Ronald Reagan. So I'm trying to compare the significance with this new American Pope. Now, I don't know if this new American Pope, if he's going to have the same kind of love relationship that Cardinal Voytiwa had from crack while Poland and then he beat the Cardinal and then he became the Pope. I don't know if the intensity will be there, But I think that this is what the American people need, and he will be able to at some point come and visit America. I'm dying to hear him speak English. I haven't heard him speak English yet, so that's how I'm relating to the whole situation. And Cardinal Boy, you were from Poland. When he became the pope, he just turned he turned, he turned away communism. He elevated Poland and the people of Poland. So let's see if this new pope will will will do something good for the United States of America, and maybe he will elevate this country to maybe bring more people into the church.
Speaker 3: That would be that would be the hope.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, Maggie Haberman for The New York Times and I'm trying to find it, uh, today said something about Trump's reaction. Let me see if I can find this. She was on with Jake Tapper on CNN, and she was somewhat surprised, according to her that I don't know, Uh, I can't find it here.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: It sounded as if she was saying that that Trump was very uh engaging today and uh maybe maybe maybe he will calm down some of his rhetoric in his relationship with the new pope. That was what Habrid said. Habrin is no fan of Donald Trump, as you know, but that's that's if I can find that, I'll give you a little bit more of that. On the other side of the break. Fair enough. Thanks thanks Tine, appreciate your call. Always great to hear your voice.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Thank you, Dan, have.
Speaker 3: A great night.
Speaker 2: Let me get one more in here before the break. Ron is in Weymouth. Ron, You're next time nightside. Your reaction to the election of an American pope today.
Speaker 11: Well, I was, of course, I'm a practicing Catholic, Moman Catholic brother. I was surprised, but I was very elated, you know. And I don't think people realize that a pope is considered one of the world's most powerful people. And why because, you know, due to the extensive diplomatic, cultural, and spiritual information influence. You know that he has on what one point three billion Catholics are there, but also those outside the Catholic faith. And I don't think some people realize that he ripped in the Catholic religion. He rips sents a direct line back to Jesus, the second person of the Trinity, and not to go into the religion directly. But it does resound in that the papacy has been very politically active throughout history, you know.
Speaker 3: Well it was.
Speaker 2: It was criticized during World War Two, whether or not Pope Pius the twelfth did enough at the height of Hitler's reign, and he was criticized for that and all of that. But yeah, let's this. I think you're right. I mean, it's an influential position. It's kind of a little bit like Switzerland that it has relations with lots of countries and even now has relationships relationship with China, which a long time it didn't. So you know, let's uh, let's see how this transpires. Uh, it could be that that if Donald Trump was smart. Uh uh he Well, this is what I just found. This was from MSNBC Today, New York Times Maggie Hagerman. Haberman flags Trump's signed he wants an end to fighting, said New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman, who's a critic of Trump, said President Trump's praised for newly elected Pope Leo the fourteenth as a sign he's trying to tamp down his constant brawling. Speaking to CNN's Jake Tapper on Thursday Today, Haberman said Trump's warm compliments for the new pope in a Truth Socials post where he said it was a great honor for our country to have the first American Pope, who he said looks who he looks forward to meeting. Was a shift in his previous tone towards the Vatican. I think that Trump is trying not to be in conflict with everyone as much as he was before, Haberman said, noting the Magi leaders feud with Pope Francis dated back to the twenty six sixteen elections. So b's a sign that maybe Magie Maggie have Haberman, who is no fan of Donald Trump, might see something that others haven't seen and who knows where this might leave.
Speaker 11: That's true, and I did hear. I had heard part of that on TV on the I don't know what share it was, but you know, Trump did a favorable explanation of how well it was that the Pope was elected and he was an American. But I think he's trying to, like you say, not stay in the too much of the religious section because he's he's definitely not a Catholic. I don't think I think he's a part of them, but he's trying to keep it together where he does approve of it.
Speaker 3: He's also you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: He's also the president of the United States that probably has seventy million so I don't know what the Catholic population is in the US, so he has to be respectful of other people's religions as well.
Speaker 5: I don't know about the US.
Speaker 11: I think it's one point three billion in the.
Speaker 2: World, one point three one point four billion worldwide. I'll figure out the Catholic population in the USA. Yeah, it's about seventy million, I think, but I'll have that number on the on the other side of this break.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, thanks Ron.
Speaker 11: Well, thanks thanks for taking my view, and have a great night, good night.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: One line at six one seven, two, five, four to ten thirty and two lines at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. I'll be back with the number of Catholics in the United States. My guess is seventy to seventy five. We'll see what way up what I find out. Coming back on night Side. Got a couple of lines open, fill them up. If you've been trying to get through the lines have been very busy. I apologize. We can get you on now, get you get your lined up right now.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Just it's a math and the estamates are about twenty percent of the Catholic population is Catholic. That would work out to about sixty six million, so that's pretty close about twenty percent of We have about three hundred and thirty million people in the country. Six thirty one line there and I got a couple of lines at six one, seven ninety. If you have not called before, you were welcome to join the conversation. We're looking for your reaction to the election of the first American pope. I don't know that there'll be many more American popes because I think they will move that on or around. And I think that we've seen in recent years Argentina, we've seen.
Speaker 3: Germany, Poland. Uh.
Speaker 2: It kind of broke the string of the Italian popes which had dominated the Roman Catholic Church for so long. Join the conversation. Let me go next to Alex and hebri. Hey, Alex, welcome next on nightside.
Speaker 6: Hey, how you doing what in the motion of the moment? You know it's uh, we invigorated my faith, you know. You know, I went to parochial school, went to Merrimack, was educated by Augustinians. Have a fondness for them, for their connection to the Hispanic community in the Merrimack Valley, and you know, had my older sister call. She was in tears. I was you know me, you see what I look like And I looked at the bouncer, was myself.
Speaker 2: Alex, you're you're a friend of many years. I've missed you. Thank you very much for calling in tonight. By the way, I'm told that Merrimack College, which is Augustinian, gave this new pope an honorary degree back in two thousand and five. I was on one of the broadcasts tonight. I was unaware of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that they did. And you know, he's a lot As an Augustindian. I reflected on those guys that touched my life, those priests, and rateful to every one of them has been there and uh, you know these last five years of brokenness as the people. And I'm hoping he's a uniter. He invigorated something in me, not just as an American, as a Latino, and you know, the great to hear in Spanish, but to hear to see you know what. You know, I was watching the TV, you know, I work from home now and to hear that they picked up prope and you know, yeah. My line went out, the one up for three years taking it in high school and to hear the name and they said Provos. So I called French Canadian, but then they said in American.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, what sounds like he might have sound like he might have been a provo defense been for the red Wings or the maple leafs somebody.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Jacques Provos. You know, just the tears came out, you know, relatives called the first being my oldest sister in Florida, and uh, you know, I I've lived long enough in life. I thank the guy upstairs. Is you know that I've seen, you know, after five hundred years, to see the first non Italian pope, the first German pope. Uh it was Polish, Yeah, yeah, the first Polish folk to see the first pope in Latin America. That was something because at that time I worked for the for the for the federal government, and just to see the tears amongst my Fellolatino co workers and to see the first American pope to be told for years, you'll never see this, They'll never you know, we'll never get this because the world's are raid. But you know, to see a cubs fan. You know you ain't gonna help them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, I was joke. I was joking with someone today. I said, you know, there aren't too many Cardinals who were club fans. You know, obviously, Cubs and Cardinals are are bit like Red Sox and Yankees in the National League. If you root for the Cardinals, there's no way you root for the Cubs. Is so close geographically, in such a long tradition, going back to Stan Musal and ear any Banks. Hey, when when this guy born, when the Pope was born. In nineteen fifty five, Ernie Banks was breaking in as a shortstop with the Chicago Cubs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, mister Cubb himself.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 6: You know, what a what a what a great day. Still can't get over it, Alex.
Speaker 2: So he's so great, so great to hear your boy s. Don't be a stranger, man, I miss you.
Speaker 1: Okay, I won't.
Speaker 6: I won't. I just got out of my own, uh Jordan Hudson situation. So thank God Almighty on free at last, Free at last.
Speaker 3: Okay you and Belichick? All right, thanks, I gotta talk to him soon, Okay, Yeah, Douc subsensed it to him. Thanks, Alex. Good night.
Speaker 2: Let me go to Bill in Pennsylvania. Bill, you're gonna wrap the hour for us, Go right ahead.
Speaker 3: I saved you some time.
Speaker 10: Oh thanks Dan. Yeah, I was surprised, and I'm kind of a falling away, falling away Catholic, but I was really surprised when I heard the news.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 10: Now the august Augustinian is this is this? Uh go back to like four fifty eight d the uh Saint Augustine from Hippo is that the guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be the guy.
Speaker 10: And that's the guy was the founder, that's the founder. Yes, yeah, yeah, he was a party He was a party animal, and then he and then he uh and then he was uh you know, and then then he and then he uh became a good guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I don't think that uh, that Pope Leo was ever for a party animal, even when he was building over if you get my trick done, Yeah, but I think let me just I'm looking. I heard that reference today. Yeah, that's sounds about right to me. Saint Augustine of Hippo, Yeah, I remember that reference. Let me get this real quickly here for you, and we'll we'll make sure that we got the date down correctly. Yeah, let's here we go. Uh, what is the the year here? Let me see here real quickly. Uh, that's a book they're pulling up. They're all ads here. He was a philosopher three fifty four four thirty, so yeah, he was the fifth century. I guess you would say, fifth century.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the guy.
Speaker 10: Well, listen, I wish I wish him. I wish him the best. I wish the Catholic Church the best. And uh, you know he could do. He's gonna have to crack the whip, okay to uh to uh the uh faithful here in the United States. I think if you compare the Catholics in the United States to Catholics around the world, I think that uh, like uh from just my experience then that they take their religious they take the religion, Catholic religion more serious in other countries than we know.
Speaker 2: And we have a lot of distractions here, okay, and uh, you know, there's been a lot of things that have taken away. Uh you know, soccer games on Sunday mornings, when parents had to make a choice did they take the kids to church or did they take the kids.
Speaker 3: To There's a lot of that.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of stuff going on in this country and a lot of the other countries. The religious service would be the highlight of the weekend.
Speaker 3: Bill, great point. Let's see if anyone follows up on that.
Speaker 10: I gotta run for a quick story, Dan.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, if you want to hold on, Bill, I'll take it on the other side of the eleven. But I'm red flat up against the news. Okay, stay there, I'll catch pick you up on the other side. Leave them there, we'll be back right after the eleven. I got some wide open lines here. Let's light them up, folks. I'd love to take this baby right at home. Here your thoughts on what happened in Rome today. It is a shocking, a positive shocking story. Back on night Side after this