Speaker 1: In the quiet spring of nineteen ninety two, a string of brutal murders unfolded along the quiet towns and highways of America's Midwest. One by one, small business clerks were targeted, ambushed in broad daylight, and shot execution style. Being left behind with little evidence and even fewer answers, The killer seemed to vanish into the interstate traffic each and every time, earning the chilling nickname the Ie seventy Killer. Three decades later, their identity still remains a mystery, and the deadly events still haunts the road that they once prowled. This is the unsolved story of the Eye's seventy Killer.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and.
Speaker 1: Grim, a true crime podcast. Warning the following yes material more mature audience listener discretion.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to Wicked and grib true crime.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we've had some people who are like they've got the intro downpacked and memorized. We've seen people lip sync it before as their red can't put it in their stories or send it to us. We do record a new one every time. It's not the same thing that gets replayed. Yeah, which I mean.
Speaker 2: You could easily just put something in there, but it's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: We're also recording anyways, we can just say it again. Yeah, sometimes we put a little bit of a different spin on it, but usually it's the same.
Speaker 2: Or if one of us has a cold, then you're aware right away.
Speaker 1: That too, too. Got to love the fact that you actually rely on your voice and your sound for something like a podcast.
Speaker 2: It when I get sick, it makes me kind of panic a bit more like oh shit, oh shit, oh shit. It's just I don't know. It's like your livelihood a little bit too.
Speaker 1: That's true because I mean, if you lose your voice, if you're still if your body's still fine, you can go into work, right mm hmm. And here, if you lose your voice but your body is still fine, you can't go into work. It's like no one's going to be able to hear me.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and especially too with like photo shoots, I can't really do them with no voice either, So that's true. So yeah, now.
Speaker 1: People rely on you, and we rely on you guys for listening to the show, and people like Anika Wilson, Sassy Chicks, Tiff Amber Malpin, Justine, Meghan Lowry, Tabitha Colvin, Lauren kpe Hart, Prinita Sandela, Samantha Mayhew are all people we rely on. Because they just signed up over on Patreon, they're getting behind the scenes and exclusive content. So thank you, yeah, thank you very very much. How'd you like my segue that time? That's good. I just went right into the games without even talking.
Speaker 2: About, oh we're going there.
Speaker 1: It was an aggressive one. Are you excited for this case?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but something else. We're going golfing?
Speaker 2: Okay, holy shit, we're going to a driving range. Is that considered golfing? I don't going to a driving range, that's.
Speaker 1: Just going to a driving range. We last time we golf was high school because we did have gym together a pee and we actually had golf in one of our classes. And I think you or I haven't been since no, and that was a long ass time ago. Yeah, that was half our lifetime ago.
Speaker 2: And now we live about you.
Speaker 1: Know, more than actually shit a.
Speaker 2: Few minutes away from a golf course. So we're gonna go see if we are into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. So it's gonna be a good day. Some true crime, some coffee.
Speaker 2: And some golf hockey is kind of over for us, so we're going golfing.
Speaker 1: Hockey is not over. It's over for the second I know. I'm just kidding. And the Stanley Cup runs still going. We are still watching that, so and I do have to say I did pick a new team for it, not for standard cheering, just for the Stanley Cup because the Canucks are out. I am cheering for the Winnipeg Jets to win the Cup this year. Okay, well we both are. We both are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we both kind of picked that team only, and I think only because we felt they also have a good chance.
Speaker 1: And I do like hellabuck though he is kind of shitting the bed in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the last two games. That's so sad. Pressure's got to maybe or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean with him versus you know, Bennington, it's like the Keene Canada versus US thing all over the nations. Yeah, if you know, you know, but yeah, if you're not a hockey person, probably doesn't make sense and you probably don't care to hear about it while you're trying to like, let's get to the case, so let's go, let's do that, Let's do exactly that. All right, you ready, okay. In the spring of nineteen ninety two, a shadow slipped quietly along America's highways, a figure who targeted unsuspecting store clerks in small, quiet shops scattered across the Midwest. This was no ordinary criminal. The man who became known as the I seventy Killer left behind a trail of devastation across Indiana, Kansas, and Missouri, killing six people in less than one month with chilling precision. His method was always the same, a sudden execution style gunshot to the back of the head, a small amount of cash taken, and then he'd vanished back into the endless ribbon of the Interstate. Now to understand the I seventy Killer, though, you first have to understand his hunting grounds. The Interstate seventy. It isn't just any road. It's a massive stretch of highway running east to west across more than two thousand, one hundred miles of the United States. From the crowded streets of Baltimore, Maryland, to the rugged landscapes of Utah. I seventy cuts straight through the heart of the country in the Midwest. It winds through Indiana, Missouri, and Kansas, the very states where the killings would take place. These highways are a lifeline for commerce and travel, but they also offer something darker, obscurity. On any given day, thousands of cars flow through the rest stops, the gas stations, in small town shopping plazas, or whatever you may find. Drivers come and go without notice, blending into the endless movement. It's easy to arrive unnoticed, and even easier to leave unnoticed. The killer seems to have figured this out and understand this perfectly. He didn't choose crowded malls or bustling city streets. Instead, he struck at small specialty shops tucked just off the highway, placed where only one employee might be working, where security cameras or any other measurements were almost non existent, and where an outsider wouldn't raise any immediate suspicion. So to say the least, it was the perfect environment for someone who wanted to kill quickly and then slip away and disappear into the rolling miles of asphalt in Cornfield and just go now. The first known victim of the I seventy killer was a woman by the name of Robin Flauder, a twenty six year old store manager with a bright future ahead of her. On April eighth, nineteen ninety two, Robin was covering an afternoon shift at the Paylist's Shoe source, located at seven three two five Pendleton Pike in Indianapolis, Indiana. She hadn't planned to work that day. She was stepping in for an employee who had called out. The Paylist's store was quiet, sitting on the outskirts of the city, with minimal staff and no security cameras. The only precaution was a simple door buzzer that chimed whenever anyone entered the store. That afternoon, Robin was working alone. Police would later reconstruct a rough timeline of what happened. The last known transaction at the red occurred at one twelve PM, a customer purchased a pair of men's shoes and a pair of women's as well, short time after tragedy would strike. Investigators believe that the killer entered the store, likely pretending to browse and be a patron, but once he confirmed Robin was alone, he led her to the back stock room at gunpoint. There, using a twenty two caliber pistol, he shot her execution style in the back of the head, not once, but twice. He then emptied the register, but it still estimated that he stole less than a few hundred dollars. He then fled through the rear exit, disappearing before anyone could react. That is some scary shit, yep. Do you know.
Speaker 2: I noticed that when I'm in a store or somewhere, if there's only one person working, I like almost so nervous for them because I feel that you should have two people at all times kind of thing.
Speaker 1: I agree, it's a safety measure. Right now, there are different you know, things that are written into you know, procedures and stuff for safety. Is like, okay, if you need help, like there's other stores beside you or across the street, there's other people quote unquote technically around, but they're not in the same building. They're not there to see or hear. What if you slip and fall off or ladder? For say, yeah, right, I feel.
Speaker 2: A mall might be okay, you know when everyone's inside and you're like walking around the circle and all these stores have their storefront. But even like an outside mall isn't a safe I don't know, but it costs so much more for a business owner to have two people working, That's true, what do you do?
Speaker 1: It's funny because working in like industrial places that I did before I was a first aid attendant and the regulations where you have to have one first aid attendant on site. Mm hm, Well what happens if that first aid attendant is the one that gets hurt? Oh?
Speaker 2: Shit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that went through my mind so many times because like I was working in like very dangerous areas, right, like giant saws and massive equipment, and you're the one. What if I'm the one that gets hurt? Oh, then you're just fucked exactly. So. But at the same time, it's like how far do you push those countermeasures too, because, like you said, it's going to cost those store clerks or the business owners extra money, money that they probably couldn't afford or stay to stay open in many cases. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's so messed up though, how everything is regarding money, right, and I think it it comes to people's safety.
Speaker 1: The world revolves around it, and they say money is the root of all evil, and it makes sense it does now. For hours, no one realized anything was wrong. Some customers who came in during the afternoon even didn't see an employee year round and swipe some shoes off the shelves, unaware that Robin was actually lying dead just a few steps away from them.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until around two twenty one pm that help finally arrived. A worker from the neighboring Speedway gas station entered the Paylass to check after one store manager couldn't reach Robin by phone. Finding the shop empty in the cash registered drawer hanging open, the employee quickly called the police. When officers arrived, they did a sweep of the store, and they discovered Robin's body in the storage room. She's there dead. The scene was chilling, and at first the investigators assumed it was a robbery gone wrong, a tragic but not unheard of type event. No one suspected that they were looking at the first victim in a much larger pattern of violence that was about to sweep across the Midwest. As police campassed the area, a nearby paint store manager came forward with an eerie Sighting before the murder, he had noticed a disheveled man in a green coat sitting on a curb across from the Payless shoes. He was rifling through a bag and staring at the store. The man had lingered for about thirty or forty minutes, talking and giggling to himself. Right before the sirens wailed and the police came, the witness saw him attempt to hitchhike towards the nearby interstate. Just three days after Robin's murder, the killer struck again, but this time there were two victims instead of one. On April eleventh, nineteen ninety two, in Wichita, Kansas, a small bridle shop called Labride Elegance became the site of the next attack. The shop was located at four to six y one three East Kellogg Drive, not far from the busy intersection of I thirty five and I seventy. Like the payless store, it was an unassuming, lightly staffed business, a vulnerable target hidden in plain sight. That Saturday evening, thirty two year old Patricia Majors, the store owner, and her employee, twenty three year old Patricia Smith, they are both Patricia's, had agreed to stay late to accommodate a male customer who needed to pick up a Cumberland for the for an event. Now, the store's normal closing time was around six pm, but The two women waited inside, expecting a routine transaction. What they got instead was a nightmare. Sometime around fifteen, a man knocked on the locked front door, believing he was the expected customer. One of the women let him inside, but he wasn't there for a pickup. Armed with a twenty two caliber semi automatic pistol, the man forced both women back into the office. There he executed them two gunshots to the back of their heads. Like Indianapolis, the cast register was emptied, but only a small amount of money was missing. The killer might have escaped unnoticed if not for a small twist of fate. The real customer arrived to pick up that cumber Bund. I think, I said Cumberland. At first it's a cumber Bund. Just minutes later, oh.
Speaker 2: Okay, here I was wondering, did he like set this up that he was the customer?
Speaker 1: But no, no, now, According to his statement, the man entered the store and was immediately confronted by the gunman inside. The killer tried to force him into the back room as well, likely to execute him along with two women, but the customer refused and bolted instead, fleeing the parking lot are fleeing into the parking lot. He didn't call police immediately, though, he was overwhelmed and confused, but eventually made an anonymous call. About an hour later. Police arrived and they found the store keys still dangling in the front door lock. In the back room, both Patricia Majors and Patricia Smith were found shot. Patricia Majors was found pronounced dead at the scene, but Patricia Smith, however, was found fatally wounded and still clinging to life. She was rushed to hospital but died later that night.
Speaker 2: Here, I was like, oh my gosh, does she live?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: This fucker though, Like, is he doing this? I mean, I'm sure we'll kind of find out or if he's doing numerous is he doing it for the killings or the money because he's getting pennies basically for these people's lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, correct, So.
Speaker 2: I think it's definitely probably more than just for the money, because that is some sort of asshole that think someone's life is worth like a couple hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: We'll definitely talk about that, So don't worry, kay. Now. For the first time though, this is important, investigators had a living witness the man who stumbled into the attacker right, and with his help they were able to create a composite sketch of the suspect. The man was described as a white male, approximately five to seven, around one hundred and fifty pounds, short, dull red hair combed forward, slight stubble on his face, with a brown jacket and dark pants.
Speaker 2: Okay, he got a real good look at him, he did.
Speaker 1: Now there would be a sketch that was made, and it would become the face of the investigation in the months to come. Ballistics tests also quickly confirmed what some detectives already feared. The gun used to kill both Patricia's match the one that ended Robin's life just days earlier. As well. It was now official a serial killer was on the loose, and he was far from done. After the back to back killings of three young women, the pattern seemed clear until the killer made an unexpected move. On April twenty seventh, nineteen ninety two, more than two weeks after the Wichita double homicide, the I seventy killers struck again, but this time the victim was a male. Michael McCown age forty, was working alone at Sylvia's Ceramics. His mother's small ceramic shop located at two six one five South third Street in Terry Hout, Indiana, just off Interstate seventy. Michael wasn't originally supposed to work that day, a pattern the killer seemed to exploit again and again, but had decided to come in after a chiropractor appointment earlier that morning. At around four PM, a customer entered the store and made a horrifying discovery. Michael was lying just inside the front area, dead from a gunshot wound to the back of the head. Police determined that the attack had been sudden and close range. Evidence suggested that Michael had been stalking shelves, possibly retrieving a small ceramic house for a customer, when the killer crept up behind him and pulled the trigger. Gunpowder stippling from around the wound indicated that the pistol had been fired from less than four inches away, nearly contacting him when the shot was fired.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, and he wouldn't have even known what was coming.
Speaker 1: I don't think no, probably not, uh huh.
Speaker 2: Just doing his job and then someone just walks in and boom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, brig Unlike the previous murders, the cast register wasn't touched this time, Approximately fifty dollars remained inside there, and Michael's personal money about fifteen bucks, was still in his pocket, only his wallet was missing. This presented a puzzle for the investigators. Was the I seventy killer changing his behavior or had Michael simply not been the intended target. Some theorized that Michael, who had long brown hair and wore a small earring, might have been mistaken for a woman from behind the store's name, Sylvia Ceramics, could have reinforced a false assumption potentially. However, family members later clarified that at the time of his death, Michael had cut his hair short, making it much less likely that he would be confused for a female employee, especially at close range. When the killer attacked right right now. I mean there is a whole thing around gender and identity. But so we're talking assuming someone's gender from behind. Did the killer do that? Get it wrong? The family doesn't think so, okay. Additionally, given the killer's usual method of leading victims to the back room, Michael's murder seemed to be more upper opportunistic. That that's the word I was looking for. There you go. He was attacked at the shop floor, right out front, right without any effort to isolate him.
Speaker 2: When people would find him instantly when they came in exactly.
Speaker 1: It raised disturbing new possibilities about the killer's mindset. Maybe he was less picky than initially believed. Maybe it wasn't about gender at all, but about control, vulnerability, and opportunity. Either way, by the time Michael's body was found, the killer was already gone, disappearing once again into the open roads of the Midwest. The next killing came just days later, and once again the victim was a young woman who hadn't originally been scheduled to work that day. On May third, nineteen ninety two, Nancy Kitts Miller, a twenty four year old college graduate, was managing the boot Village store at the Boya Hills Plaza in Saint Charles, Missouri, a busy shopping center located just off Interstate seventy. Nancy was bright, energetic, with big plans in her life. She had recently graduated with a degree in geography from Oklahoma State University and had just accepted a job offer at the Defense Mapping Agency in Saint Louis. Her new career was only a few weeks away, but on that Sunday afternoon, she was filling in for a coworker who had called in sick. Nancy opened the store around noon, and by two thirty pm, several shoppers had seen her helping a customer, a man matching the earlier composite description, white male, medium height, slender bill, dull or light brown hair, and minutes later, new customers entered the shop, only to find it eerily empty. When they've entered into the back office, they made a chilling discovery. Nancy was dead shot, execution style in the back of the head, just like the victims before.
Speaker 2: Man, this guy is just on a freakin' rampage here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now. Once again, only a small amount of cash was missing from the register. Nancy's purse, sitting close by, was untouched. There's no sign of a struggle, no indication that she had fought back. Witnesses helped refine the composite sketch even further, reinforcing earlier details, giving police more confidence that the same man was responsible for the string of murders. Still, despite multiple witnesses and a growing public awareness, the killer once again just slipped away without a trace, blending back into the maze of highways that Chris crossed across the country. On May seventh, nineteen ninety two, just four days after Nancy Kitzmiller's murder, the I seventy killer struck again for what would become the last confirmed time along the interstate. The target this time was Sarah Blessing, a thirty four year old shop owner in Raytown, Missouri, a suburb just east of Kansas City. Sarah had recently opened a small business called Store of Many Colors, located in Woodson Village shopping center, about two miles from the interstate. Her shop was quiet new age boutique and sold herbal remedies, crystals, and spiritual wellness items. That evening, at around six fifteen pm, Tim Hickman, who owned a neighboring video rental store, noticed an unfamiliar man loitering around the shop center. The men seemed slightly at a place, wearing a gray sports coat, and it was too heavy for that warm spring day. He was also seen peering into Hickman's front store window before eventually walking next door to Sarah's shop. Moments later, Hickman heard a sharp pomping noise, a sound that he would later realize was a gunshop. Oh brutal. He rushed outside and caught a glimpse of the man calmly exiting the store of many colors rounding the corner of the building without hurrying. The stranger walked across the parking lot, climbed an embankment, and disappeared into the neighborhood streets, heading roughly towards Interstate seventy. When Hickman entered Sarah's shop, he found a terrible scene. Sarah was lying face down at the back of her store, dead from a single gunshot wound to the head. Like the other victims, she appeared to have been led towards the back room before being killed. Small amount of cass was missing from the register, but valuables and other money remained untouched. Hickman's eyewitness account helped police refine their composite sketch yet again even further. Additional witnesses also reported seeing a man matching the same general description near the shopping center around the time of the killings, reinforcing the pattern investigators had begun to build. With Sarah's death, the Midwest bree came to a chilling pause. Over the course of just one month, from April eighth to May seventh, in nineteen ninety two, the I seventy killer had murdered six people across three states. Each victim was shot in the back of the head with the same twenty two caliber fire arm, and each killing occurred in a small, low traffic retail store situated near a major highway entrance. Police departments across Indiana, Kansas, and Missouri scrambled to coordinate their investigation. Forensic ballistics confirmed the same gun had been used in every crime. The media was warned of a serial killer stocking the I seventy corridor, but despite increased security, public warnings, and heavy media coverage, the killer seemed to vanish without any sort of trace, just as quickly as he appeared. Now By the time Sarah Blessing's murder shocked the small town of Raytown, Missouri, investigators had already realized that the killings were not random acts of violence. A clear and chilling pattern was starting to emerge, one that stretched across hundreds of miles in connecting the six innocent victims to a single, unknown predator. The first thing detective noticed was the similarity between the victims. Five out of six were young women, typically with their in their early twenties or the early thirties, with dark hair and petite builds. There were employees of small specialty shops, shoe stores, ceramic shops, bridal boutiques, the kind of businesses that usually only staff one worker at a time. The sole male victim, Michael McCown, initially puzzled investigators. In some theorized he was mistaken for a woman, as I mentioned earlier, especially given the store's name, Sylvia's Ceramics, and reported it. Reports that he had even worn an earring which helped reinforce that also the potential long hair, But I digress. However, family members confirmed you know the short one, short hair right. What remained, though consistent, was every victim was working alone at a shop located just off these highway entrances. In every case, the killer used that same twenty two caliber semi automatic pistol to execute his victims with a shot to the back of the head. There was no prolonged violence, no clear sign of any sort of struggle, and no meaningful theft. Only small amounts of petty cash really, or few hundred dollars at most purses, wallets, large valuables were often left behind, while the money was generally only ever taken from the registers. Witnesses who had spotted the suspect before the murders described him in similar ways, a white male of average build, thin, dull or red light brown hair, often stubbled or slightly unkept. On two occasions, people observed him loitering around shopping classes, talking and laughing to himself, behavior that at the time seemed odd but harmless. Man hindsight, of course, suggested something much darker. Man, either mentally and well, or so detached from reality that he could carry out murders in broad daylight without any sign of panic and in fact just laughed about it instead.
Speaker 2: I was honestly just thinking that, how he's just doing this literally and like during the day when people are around. He's not hiding shit at all.
Speaker 1: No, he's not.
Speaker 2: He just is just going in doing his thing and leaving like it's no big deal. Yeah, which is wild. Now.
Speaker 1: I did mention the ballistics test done on the bullets, confirming that the same weapon was fired on each of the six crimes, linking them together beyond any reason of doubt. Right now, on each of these bullet casings. The ballistics tests also found traces of corundum and roote, materials commonly used in metal polishing and industrial grinding, so basically polishing type compound. Okay. So this discovery hinted at two possibilities. Either the killer worked in an industrial environment where those materials were present, okay, or he was a gun hobbyist who modified and maintained his own weapon. Okay.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Either way, one thing became clear. Robbery wasn't the real motive. The thefts were likely a smoke screen, a way to make the crime seem like an ordinary stick up for some cash. Okay.
Speaker 2: So the cash or money didn't even matter at.
Speaker 1: All, didn't seem like it. No, it was all about the killings. Yes, I mean there was cash left over it, many of them. They are different things. Sure he was using the cash, I mean, why wouldn't he, But it wasn't the motive. You know, gosh that.
Speaker 2: But when you hear about serial killers and stuff, lots of times it's more drawn out killings, right, So this just like going in and boom doing it and leaving it just seems like off to me a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's different. It's very different. You're right, because usually they get the call saud of the torture, the power dynamic, you know.
Speaker 2: Making wearing the out of people and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, making them beg or you know, tying them up or capturing them, like you say, torturing them whatever it is that having the power over someone. This is just you're done. Yeah, without them even knowing.
Speaker 2: Well, the one guy, yeah, I didn't even know. Yeah, he was just like grabbing something from a freaking shelf and just gone exactly.
Speaker 1: So what the uh the thought behind that is? I have no clue. Yeah, because it's so different. It is so The spree along Interstate seventy revealed a killer who was methodical, confident, and dangerously mobile, and, as investigators would soon discover, he might not have stopped with these Midwest killings. This may not have been the end.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, shit, I just remember something you said from the freaking intro. This shit isn't solved. I'm pissed now because I'm just sitting here waiting to get the full story in the solved and shit and it's not coming.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, this is unsolved. Correct? I said it at the intro? You did, and I.
Speaker 2: Forgot I was just assuming this was solved and this motherfucker was caught.
Speaker 1: No, if you're this far in and you two are just discovering that it's unsolved, I did tell you at the intro. We didn't rediscuss it at the beginning, but in the intro I did say it's unsolved brutal. So what investigators figured out, though, was that this may not have been the end. He may have just moved on to a different area.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, after the murder of Sarah Blessing in May of nineteen ninety two, the killings along Interstates seventy they appeared to stop. For a while. It seemed like the I seventy killer had simply vanished into the endless web of highways. But then about a year later, and about several hundred miles south, new murders began, one that took early similar feels with it. In the fall of nineteen ninety three, authorities in Texas faced a string of settling cases. Once again, the victims were women working along small shops located near major interstates. Once again, the murders involved execution style shootings, and once again the cash stolen was minimal, suggesting robbery wasn't the real motive for the first of these Texas cases. It occurred in September. On the twenty fifth in nineteen ninety three, in Fort Worth, Mary Anne Glasgock, a fifty one year old woman, was found dead inside her antique store, Emporium Antiques, near the I thirty interstate, not far from where the busy I thirty five corridor is. She'd been shot in the head. Her pants were found partially removed, and while a small amount of money was taken, it was clear that the crime was not just about theft. A few weeks later, on November one, nineteen ninety three, twenty two year old Amy Vess was working the evening shift at Dancer's Closet, a dance work store in Arlington, Texas. Like the victims in the Midwest, she wasn't supposed to be working that night. She'd been called in to cover for someone else. At some point between six fifteen and six point thirty, a man entered the store. It led Amy to the back room, and there shot her twice, once in the neck and once in the back of the head. Amy was somehow able to call nine one one after being shot, but she tragically slipped into a coma and died the next day. Holy. The fact that she was able to call is unreal. Yeah. Then on January fifteenth, nineteen ninety four, another attack occurred, but this time the victim survived. Vicki Webb, a thirty five year old woman working at Alternatives gift shop in Houston, had just opened her store for the day when a man entered. They spoke casually for a while before he asked her to retrieve a small picture frame. As she turned to help him, the man shot her in the back of the neck. Miraculously, Vicki didn't die. Though initially paralyzed, she survived by pretending to be dead as the attacker rifled through the cash register. When he returned, he attempted to fire a second shot into her head, but the gun misfired. Whoa startled by the noises from a neighboring business, the man fled the scene.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, And the fact that she I don't know, I can't imagine getting shot. That would be unbelievably painful, I'm sure, And then having the wits about you to just pretend like that did get in That's well, this guy is still in your shop like in your cash register and stuff.
Speaker 1: Exactly so, not only because she survived, but because of that, Vicky is one hundred and ten percent or badass no today hitting now. VICKI would later identify her shooter from a police sketch, and chillingly, she pointed to the composite created for the I seventy killer, saying, that's the guy. That's him. Despite this, Texas authorities hesitated to officially link the cases. The main reason ballistic evidence suggested the weapon used in the Texas killings was different from the gun you in the nineteen ninety two spree. Now, some investigators argue that the killer could have simply switched guns, knowing that the police had already publicized details about his previous weapon totally. Others pointed to a significant similarities in victims' profile, methods, behaviors, etc. Saying that it was was it the same man? A few detectives believed it was almost certainly the same, while others remained unconvinced.
Speaker 2: What kind of makes sense to me that it is the same. I agree, because I can't imagine that guy would just stop.
Speaker 1: Oh right right?
Speaker 2: And these are very similar and they're quite odd too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, So, I mean, who's to say that. Yeah, maybe he just got rid of that gun and got a new one, right, Maybe he was in a situation where like maybe he's coming up and there's some police ahead, and he just quickly chucked it in the river, got through the police block or whatever he needed to do, and then went and purchased a new one later.
Speaker 2: Well, and especially too, if he's into guns, because I think one of the things he was saying he could be like a gun connoisseur or something. Yeah, then it makes sense that he would.
Speaker 1: Have different ones too, exactly.
Speaker 2: And he's not doing I feel like he's not I don't this is terrible wording, but not doing as good of a job with these ones, where like he's shooting them, they're not going right in the head. So he's getting s neck and this one's only the neck and she doesn't even die and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's getting sloppyest what you mean, right, Yeah? Yeah, Okay, No, I agree, you're right. Regardless for the families of the Texas victims and for the loan survivor, Vicky Webb, the similarities they were too strong to ignore. A man had been traveling the highways, targeting women in vulnerable places, moving from city to city like a ghost, and whoever he was, he had managed to keep himself hidden from law enforcement for more than a year. For decades, law enforcement and amateur sleuths alike have combed through leads looking for the man who terrorized small towns shops along the interstates. Over the years, a handful of names have risen to the surface, some briefly, others with chilling credibility. Yet no suspect has ever been formally charged in the I seventy murders. One of the earliest serious leads came in nineteen ninety two, when authorities arrested a man by the name of Donald Waterhouse in Ponca City, Oklahoma. Waterhouse had murdered his own mother and stepfather that February, shooting them both in the head with a twenty two caliber weapon at grim parallel to the I seventy killers method. Adding to suspicion, Waterhouse abandoned. His abandoned vehicle was found near East Saint Louis, not far from Interstate seventy. At first, it seemed like a major break in the case. Ballistic tests in Waterhouse's background gave investigators hope, but over time inconsistencies emerged. By that summer, authorities announced that Waterhouse was no longer considered a viable suspect. He was, however, sentenced to fifty years in prison for the murder of his family, but the link to the I seventy killings fell apart. Sorry, what exactly was the link?
Speaker 2: Was it that he just had shot them.
Speaker 1: In the head? The killing was similar? Yes? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like, I don't know, if you're going to shoot your family, which is just horrible, that would kind of be the way that someone would think to do it.
Speaker 1: It's hard to say. It depends on the situation, right, was this a rage killing? Did he want to see their eyes? Did he do it in their sleep?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Was he a bit more of a coward and he couldn't like face them and yeah, when they're sleeping. It all depends on the profile of the perpetrator. But he did shoot them in the head with a twenty two caliber weapon, okay? And then his car was found abandoned not far from the I seventy.
Speaker 2: Did he look like the guy?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm not too sure. I don't think so. It's hard to say yeah. Now, another name surfaced in the mid nineteen nineties, Robert Craig Cox. Now Robert was a former former Army ranger, and he had a criminal history that made him a compelling suspect. In nineteen eighty eight, he was convicted of aggravated assault on kidnapping in California. He was also considered a prime suspect in the nineteen seventy eight murder of a disney worker in Florida, although that connection was later overturned. Now, at the time of the I seventy murders, Robert was living in Springfield, Missouri, not far from several of the murder scenes. He was even suspected of in the disappearance of three women in Springfield in nineteen ninety two. Yet, despite the circumstantial ties, no concrete evidence ever linked Robert to the I seventy killings, and he has consistently denied any involvement. Now, perhaps one of the most chilling possible connections, though, is a man by the name of Herb Baucemeister Bowmeister. There we go, Bowmeister, the notorious Fox Hollow farm killer. Now, Herb was a successful Indianapolis businessman with a respectable family life on the surface. Behind closed doors, however, he was a predator who targeted young men, many of whom were found buried on his property after his death. Now police have considered Herb a possible match for the I seventy killer based on several factors. He lived in Indianapolis during the time of the murders. He matched the physical description with the average height, the red tinted hair, the slight build. He even had extensive experience cruising highways and public spaces for his victims. Some investigators even believe that Herb could be linked to the I seventy Strangler, a different case entirely, which was a series of murders involving young men found along the interstate in nineteen eighties. So this is the I seventy killer, that's the I seventy strangler. However, the victim profiles don't line up perfectly. Herb primarily targeted young men, while the I seventy killer prayed almost exclusively on women. Now, Herb died of suicide in nineteen ninety six, leaving behind a vague and apologetic note but no direct confession to any sort of murders. Other theories Sworld II. Some investigators have sped sculated that the I seventy killer may have had military ties, explaining his ability to move quickly across multiple states. Others suggest he might have been a traveling salesman, a truck driver, or a construction worker, jobs that offered easy access to interstates and freedom to vanish each time after a crime occurred. There's even a theory that the killer parked in nearby residential neighborhoods and walked to his targets, keeping his vehicle out of sight to avoid witnesses and security cameras. When it comes to the I seventy killer, hard physical evidence has always been frustratingly scarce. Yet the few forensic breadcrumbs that did leave behind any help. It's really hard to really do anything, though it is still relied on today. At the heart of the case is that twenty two caliber semi automatic pistol. The tests, as I mentioned, confirmed that they were all used in the I seventy killings, connecting the same weapon. The ammunition recovered was Cci brand twenty two caliber long rifle rounds common and very easy to obtain, which made tracing them almost impossible, but there was something odd about the bullets themselves, as I mentioned. On multiple shell casings, investigators found traces of that abrasive material corundum and rogue roge sorryish and like a polishing compound. Both substances are typically used in industrial grinding and metalwork, but also known to be used by gun enthusiasts who modify and maintain their firearms. See. This led to the theories about something called fire lapping, a process where bullets are coated with this with unabrasive and are fired through the barrel to clean or slightly alter the rifling of the firearm. It's a technique used by hobbyists looking to tweak the performance of their guns. If the killer was that knowledgeable about firearms, it pointed to someone methodical, someone who took pride in preparation. Even investigators eventually narrowed down the possible weapon models of two unusual guns, so it could possibly be the Introtex Scorpion or the Irma work Et twenty two. Both were rare and distinctive, particularly the Irma, a German made collector's piece modeled after the historic World War One side arm. It wasn't the kind of weapon an average street criminal would carry this reinforce the growing belief that the I seventy killer was not a petty robber but some something more far calculating and as you mentioned, you know, having someone who's like a connoisseur of guns, almost like a collector even. Yeah, but still this idea only gives a potential glimpse into the mind of the killer and not exactly who they were. And it's frustrating to say that the police needed more than that. Yeah, they sure did. Now. Originally, when the I seventy killer first struck in nineteenninety two, law enforcement agencies across Indiana, Kansas, and Missouri moved quickly to respond. Task force They were formed almost overnight in hopes of finding the culprit. Local police departments, state authorities, and the FBI all began sharing information, a relatively new practice at the time for serial crimes across state lines. At first, investigators were flooded with leads, witnesses, descriptions they poured in. Composite sketches were created, ballistics linked the murders conclusively, and yet as quickly as the evidence seemed to gather, it led absolutely nowhere. One major early misstep was the public release about the information on the killer's weapon. Authorities announced that they believe the shooter was using that rare erma E twenty two or Intertex scorpion, very specific distinctive guns. They also revealed the discovery of the polishing compound on the shell casings. While the attention to generate tips was good, you know, they're hoping that this information could help, it's believed now that it had the opposite effect, that it actually tipped off the killer. Okay, After the final confirmed Midwest murder of Sarah Blessing, the I seventy killers suddenly stopped, or at least changed his pattern so drastically that he avoided further detection. Over the years, the case grew colder. Despite being featured in major national shows like Unsolved Mysteries America's Most Wanted, no arrests were made. The suspect pool at one point included over sixty seven thousand names, and it slowly shranked to a handful of persons of interest, and none of whom could ever be definitively tied to the crimes. In twenty twelve, on the twentieth anniversary of the spree, investigators renewed public attention to the case. They revealed new forensic insight, like the likely weapon types, the contaminated shell casings, behavioral profile. They put this back out there. They hope that the advance is in the forensic science, particularly the DNA technology, could finally crack the case. But true momentum didn't build again until October twenty twenty one, when the Saint Charles Police Department announced the formation of a new multi agency task force. This task force included the FBI, ATF and multiple state local agencies from across Indiana, Missouri, and Kansas. Their goal to completely re examine the entire investigation from scratch using modern methods. Among their new initiatives submitting old physical evidence for DNA testing using highly sensitive new techniques, creating an age progressed sketch of the killer, imagining how he might look in his sixties or seventies, Reviewing thousands of pages of reports, evidence logs, and dispatch records with fresh eyes, cross referencing cases that had similar patterns, including the unsolved murders in Texas that we talked about, and leaven even later incidences as far as in Indiana in two thousand and one. For investigators, there is a sense of cautious optimism. DNA technology has solved countless cold cases once thought hopeless. Even the tiniest fragment of hair or drop of blood, a touch of on a doorknob, who knows, could be enough to build a genetic profile and match it through the genealogical Here we Go database now, as famously done to capture the Golden State killer. Right, so that's kind of what they're hoping potentially help solve this now you can only help. Still, time is running out. If the I seventy killer was in his thirties or four days during the original murder, he would likely be in his sixties or even seventies today. He could still be alive but aging, hiding in plain sight, just as he was during that bloody spring in nineteen ninety two. Or he could have died, taking the truth with him. Yep. For now, the task force continues its painstaking work, even today, after three decades have passed since the I seventy killers rampage. Each victim left behind the family. They left behind friends, dreams, and futures that were brutally cut short. Each was simply doing their job, living their life, and when a stranger walked in, they stole everything. Robin Flounder was twenty six years old working hard as a store manager at Peles Shue Source in Indianapolis. She dreamed of starting a family. One day, she wasn't supposed to be working that afternoon, but she stepped up when a coworker called in sick, a simple act of responsibility that unknowingly placed her in the killer's path. Patricia Major's thirty two in Patricia Smith twenty three were at the beginning of new chapters in their lives. Managers had opened lebride Elegance, proud to run her own bridle shop, and Patricia Smith was a nursing student in Wichita State University working part time as a bridal consultant. They stayed late on Sunday night to help a customer, showing kindness and dedication, and were instead met with violence. Michael mccow forty had spent years traveling as a musician before returning home to indian Apple to help his mother run her ceramics shop. He was a fixture in the community, kind, hard working, and loved by friends and family. He wasn't even supposed to be at work that day. He had thought about taking the day off, but duty simply called Nancy kits Miller twenty four was a bright and ambitious young woman with a newly earned geographic geography degree from Oklahoma State. She had just landed a position at the Defense Mapping Agency and was weeks away from starting her dream job. She picked up an extra shift at Boot Village to help out a coworker, one final act of generosity that cost her everything. Sarah Blessing thirty seven, had just opened her own shop, store of many colors, selling herbal remedies and spiritual goods. A published poet and a believer in healing, she was trying to build a life rooted in kindness and creativity. She had been in business just three weeks when the killer found her. And beyond them, there are others possible victims of the I seventy Kis Killer who were residing in Texas, including Mary Anne glasgowck Amy Vess, and Vicki Webb, who survived but carries her own haunting memories. Each of these victims were loved, each had stories, talents, and futures that will never fully be known. The I seventy killer left behind more than shellcasings and crime scenes. He left behind broken families, empty chairs at dinner tables, and decades of unanswered grief. He ripped a hole through communities, one that was never fully healed. When we talk about the need for justice and cold cases like this, it isn't just about solving a puzzle or closing a file. It's about honoring each and every one of these victims, about giving them dignity of being seen, remembered, and fought for, even after all of these years. They weren't just names on a list. They were people, and they deserve better than to be forgotten instead of us just remembering the I seventy killer. And that's the story for Tis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a it's a piss off that he is just getting away with all of this and I don't know, murdering these people so coldly, and their families and friends, never getting any closure, and the fact that like a lot of them weren't even supposed to be there just kills me. Or they were just you know, opening a new business and stuff. Oh no matter, anyway, like anyone dies or whatever, they're going to have a story. But still some of these just they're going to haunt me fair enough.
Speaker 1: And the idea that this guy, honestly, he could be out there right now in some mom and pop shop, you know, purchasing a bouquet of flowers for his daughter, granddaughter or graduation, whatever story you want to put together. Don't do that. He could be standing in their shop right now and he could just be thinking what he could do, and he's like, I've done it before, I could do it again.
Speaker 2: Well, it does seem so weird that he would just randomly stop like that, But I mean, I guess you never know what's going on that he could have like, you know, I had a kid or or something. There could have been something that made him stop.
Speaker 1: Well, the general consensus is he didn't stop, he just changed because of the information that was released to public. Oh okay, that it's the same gun. Here's a blistics testing, here's the possible models he's using, which, honestly, when they release that, he then stops and then continues as killing in Texas with a different gun. It makes so much sense.
Speaker 2: So he could have even been someone that say has gotten caught. He could be for like an other serial killer, and we have no idea that he also did all these or something, it's possible.
Speaker 1: In my head.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, I for some reason feel like he did die, and I'm like, okay with that. But that's just me like justifying how to get through this with this terrible person.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, fair enough. I meant hopefully he's not out there and live in a good life, live in a good life and has the possibility of hurting someone else.
Speaker 2: It just I don't know. It's hard to fathom that someone just walks into a store, knows literally nothing and just like boom, like just shoot someone, yeah, and then just with no remorse.
Speaker 1: Really, just like like why it's.
Speaker 2: It's just it's fascinating to me right now. I really would love to know like reasonings and stuff. It makes no sense if if someone could go and do that.
Speaker 1: It doesn't. I wish I had answers for you, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I did say it was unsolved at the.
Speaker 2: Very you did, I know, and I did have that realization.
Speaker 1: I was like, baugh, well, hopefully you guys enjoy the story. If you got theories or anything like that, shoot us a message or an email, who knows, whatever you need to do to get a hold of us. We'd love to read it. We'd love to see your thoughts on this case. Want to check out any more of our our links They're in the description of this post. We have websites, social media's All that Good Stuff and Patreon. You can sign up for Patreon, where a new episode will be released. Exclusive episode being released tomorrow at the end of every month. Yeah, all that good good stuff. Hey, all that good good. You're good good. I'm rubbing off on you. You are always so until next episode. Stay Wicked.