Speaker 1: Most people assume Italy with kids will be complicated thanks to some assumptions about the many cobblestones on long, long lunches and the three hour museum circuits that some people.
Speaker 2: Like to promote.
Speaker 1: They are usually very surprised by what they find instead. Today, three moms, including two who live in Italy with young children, share why family travel in Italy is easier than you think.
Speaker 3: Tawatuti and Benvenuti Tuan Told Italy the travel podcast to where you go to the towns and villages, mountains and lakes, hills and coastlines of Beli, Italia. Each week, your host Katie Clark takes you on a journey in a search of magical landscapes, history, culture, wine, gelato, and of course a whole lot of pasta. If you're dreaming of Italy and planning future adventures there, you've come to the right place.
Speaker 1: One Johanno. Welcome to Untold Italy. I'm your host, Katie Clark, and today I have two brilliant members of the Untold Italy team joining me. You may have heard Olivia if you've been following the show for a little while and up until recently, she lived in Rome, where her daughter was born on the Tiber Island and has been collecting travel stamps since she was five months old. And then there is Cassandra, also based in Italy, mum to a five year old who has been on road trips across Europe and is now very much at home in Italy. Between the three of us, we have covered babies and carriers, toddlers who run straight for the canal, and tweens and teenagers who negotiate the itinery. So whether your child is still in nappies or already has opinions about which.
Speaker 2: Region to visit, this episode is for you.
Speaker 1: We have a ton of advice for parents considering traveling in Italy as a family, but if you think you like the idea of family travel but don't want to do all the planning yourself. Both Olivia and Cassandra are on our trip planning team and are ready to help. We've added a link to their profiles and our trip planning services in the episode show notes on our website so you can learn more about how we can help you. ANDIAMO Let's dive in Helloon. Everyone, Dow Gaylor and by Cassandra, Welcome back on to the Antony Italy Podcast. It is great to have some of the team together, and I really love this topic because actually we get questions about this topic, and I thought everyone together because we're all farms and we've all got kids with different stages of development, at different stages of parenthood. We also have lots of experience traveling with kids in Italy and also just generally, so we can give a little bit of a perspective on travel in general and how it's like Italy. So I know we'll know that both of you have done trip consultations with families planning their Italian benures, so have some other content to draw them. So how about we get started with some quick introductions and context and then go to be deeper.
Speaker 2: And I'll go first.
Speaker 1: So I've been a mom for wow, like well over a decade now. I've have a tweet. It's a girl and a boy and they're almost teenagers now, and they've been traveling the world since they were six months old, and our first trip was to Bali and let me traveling to Italy since they were two years old. They absolutely love Italy, but they also love going to places like USA. They've been all over Europe, and of course Australia, and I've also done some trouble with my teenage nephews. Sorry, I'll be like, I've got a pretty wide space. You are traveling with kids, and yeah, I'm excited for both of you to share your experience as well. So how about you go first?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hi, everyone, I live.
Speaker 5: I'm a mom to a sixteen month old daughter. She was born on the Tiber Island in Rome in February of twenty twenty five, so she's been in Italy for most of her life.
Speaker 4: When she was five months old, we took off on a huge road trip.
Speaker 5: We drove from Rome all at the top of Italy and into the UK and through France, and then over Christmas time we took her on her first international flight to Australia. So it's safe to say she's done a lot of travel. And yet now she's been traveling around Europe and in Denmark at the moment.
Speaker 1: Okay, Cassandra, you have done a lot of travel too.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm Cassandra.
Speaker 6: My daughter is five years old and she was born in Prague at the very end of twenty twenty so the following year we were like in peak COVID we couldn't travel very far, so we did what we could pretty much like local kind of road trips within the Czech Republic or maybe a neighboring country. But we did our first big road trip all the way from Czech actually down to the Greek island of Kithia, which is I wanted to say, a thousand kilometers maybe about fifteen hundred miles long road trip. And she was about six months when we did that. And then following that we actually flew from Prague to Seattle to visit family, so another really big trip during the first year of her life. I think she visited Italy when she was a year old. That was kind of the first time. But now we live in Italy, so we are very familiar with how things work traveling with her now or just visiting, whether it's short day trips or longer trips, so she has a lot of experience what it's like in Italy as a toddler.
Speaker 4: For a young child now five.
Speaker 6: Years old, that flew by really school, I know, a school age in September.
Speaker 1: That's going to be interesting. It's in a different era of your life. And so how mut did we talk about it? Just how do vibe about trebling in Italy as a family. What's the different way traveling in Italy can pay with tripling out parts of Europe and the world.
Speaker 5: I love traveling in Italy with her baby because Italians are obsessed with babies and children, and they're just so friendly. It's family orientated, so you feel I feel really welcome wherever I go with my daughter. If you go into a restaurant as well, like they just love to feed. That's the way that they show their love. And she's always really well fed. Let's say so, even if there's past of sul not on the menu, they'll happily make it for your children.
Speaker 4: So on that side, it's really great.
Speaker 5: On the other side, though, there can be a few logistic things that I think are challenging.
Speaker 4: If you're not familiar with traveling in Europe.
Speaker 5: Let me take cobblestones, lack of change tables.
Speaker 1: I have to get creative sometimes also, like the size of your stroller to the size of the door.
Speaker 4: That's not something in Australia or the US that you probably have to advocate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: I love the way that children are reviewed in Italy. It's so refreshing. I was on a forum this week actually, and I think it was an Instagram post or something, and someone had said, oh, we need more spaces for adults, and I thought, wow, that's wild actually, because ways built for adults. In our society, you can easily as an adult if I want to not be around children, that's an easy thing for me to do. But in Italy it's a totally different experience. Do you feel the same way, Cassandra, Yes, definitely.
Speaker 6: I have this very distinct memory actually when my daughter was a baby and we were driving through a toll booth in Italy and the lady deliberately held up traffic like there are cars behind us to trying to get to the toll booth because she was just admiring the baby. She was admiring my daughter in the backseat, like ooing and eyeing and talking to her, And I was like, does she not care that there's traffic just piling up behind us?
Speaker 4: But that's just it.
Speaker 6: That was a first, very core memory of what people are usually like towards babies and Italy.
Speaker 1: Really if they get older, when people at truck stops come and give the kids chocolate bar like we're being like people have been giving them cane and I'm like, no, they do love to feed the kids, don't they. And I think it's that is just such a different vibe to even traveling in Australia and also traveling in the UK or France or anywhere like that. It is completely different. So I think, as someone who's traveled to a lot of places with small children, that Italy is actually one of the easiest places to travel. And so if you're concerned, or if you're thinking I want to do the first international trip, I would recommend Italy more because it's easy. Well, so of course you've got pizza, and what kids love pizza. We've got pasta and they'll always make you pasta pomadoro. So they're always making a very simple pasta. And you've got jilat what are DNA exactly your parental art.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so true on that note.
Speaker 6: At restaurants, not only well there are with a comedy, something simpler, kid friendlier. It's such as like red sauce pasta, but they'll actually bring it out first because they know that you're a child.
Speaker 4: It's hungry.
Speaker 6: Probably you don't want to have them just sit there and wait for all the courses. So many times we've been seated and they'll bring out the kids food first, just they're not waiting around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is the best.
Speaker 1: And then they may even entertain them a little bit, like them and play with them a little bit. So yeah, it's more of a family friendly experience, not just related to kids, but yeah, having that family friendly experience, it's delightful. Okay, So what are some of your trips about traveling with babies? You both had that I can't really I'm bit beyond that face. I think your brain goes into shut down once you've reached a suit.
Speaker 2: It's you like, that's done. I'm been in.
Speaker 1: But if you are, you think of it leaving. You've just been through a kiss.
Speaker 6: Andra.
Speaker 1: So what are some tips around traveling with babies in Italy?
Speaker 5: I would say my number one is get comfortable with the baby carrier.
Speaker 4: So that is just so easy.
Speaker 5: In sometimes music and some places you can't always take your pram and you might need to leave it in like the cloakroom or something like that, and then you're kind of left just holding the baby. So get a really good baby carrier and then it's just really easy, especially if you're in places like Rome too, you think of all the cobblestones and pushing the pram around.
Speaker 4: I will say as well.
Speaker 5: Like maybe controversial, but the yogo stroller, I'm not about that in Italy. Sorry, but I do not rate that tiny wheels.
Speaker 4: It's just you know, it's just so no, yeah, you've got a way up what's right to you.
Speaker 5: But I've got the Bugaboo and it's got big wheels and that tackles ROMs, holes in the ground, cobblestones, uneven pavement really nicely. So I would say, personally, leave that yoyo at home and just check your pram into the plane. And another thing I would also say that I mentioned briefly before changing tables, So if a new venue opens in Italy, by law, they need to have a change table. But that's just if they're prend So if they're not brand new, they won't necessarily have a change table, or they'll be down like one thousand steps and you can just imagine how fun that is taking you a little baby down like a spiral staircase downstairs.
Speaker 4: So what we would do was just easier.
Speaker 5: When we had the bassinette part of our prem we would line it with the towel and we would change her NAPPI is in that it was just much easier because yeah, a lot of places don't have change tables. I would highly recommend, and yeah, bring a really good nappy bag or dipe a bag. I guess in the US you might say with an in built changing table that you can even change them in a park or something like that. And then just baby specific if you were breastfeeding as well. Italy is very breastfeeding friendly, so you don't need to be overset about breastfeeding in public if that's what you want to do. Obviously, with bottles that's fine too, So yeah, you can do that absolutely anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm getting a bit treated by that stroller conversation. Can you imagine every meaning store a lot I cannot speak to but Claren side by side, Oh my gosh, we watched it was anyway, I'll leave it there.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Just on the pram thing as well, though.
Speaker 5: One thing to consider, even though I say no to the yo yo, just have to think about where your accommodation is and how big the elevator is, because your pram might potentially not fit in the elevator and you might need to fold it up, and I would not be leaving my pram downstairs in the Airbnb lobby or anything like. Take it inside with you. It may get taken otherwise, so just think about that. And also the size of the door. When we went back to Rome recently, the stroller would not fit unless it was folded up through the door, so just think about that as well. Well, these are things that you don't have to think about in Australia or the US.
Speaker 1: You can become a little bit of a ninja in just squashing things up. Yeah, any inside to Merkazandre.
Speaker 6: One thing I do remember when she was a baby is so I breastfed for about six months and then we did switch to a bottle. It became in convenient a little bit traveling with having to put together formula and milk and stuff like that or water. But I do remember actually the one time I decided not to be shy and just ask a restaurant or even at the bar in Italy, and they were so accommodating. So every time we had to just get that situated, I just popped into a bar restaurant, didn't even really have to be a patron of the restaurant. Or anything if it was like an emergency, and everyone was always willing to help, which is just really nice. And this even happened in big cities, So even places like touristy places like Rome where the service isn't always the best or the friendliest, people were still always willing to help when they saw that you have a baby.
Speaker 4: And oh, it's just this.
Speaker 6: Common ground that exists in Italy among everyone for some reason, which I'm very thankful for. But somehow it's just automatic in their brains that they're like, yeah, I'm going to help this person out they have a baby. Maybe I know what it's like, or I've been around children. That was actually another thing. Even a teenage boy, for example, where I grew up in the US, I don't think any teenage boy if I handed them a baby, they would be like, what am I supposed to do with this?
Speaker 4: I don't even know how to hold this.
Speaker 6: However, in Italy, for some reason, even a teenage boy knows how to interact with a baby. And it to me it was just like I wasn't used to seeing that so pretty much obviously was a generalization, but it holds true for the most part. Pretty much everyone in Italy just knows how to interact with a baby, and of course that's going to make any parent or a new mom just feel a little bit less stressed, a little bit more at ease.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's so good.
Speaker 1: So while we're on the babies, before we move on to toddlers, how about thinking about travel style and thinking about some of the people that we worked with it as clients as well. And I probably have a different travel style to YouTube be simply because we're coming as a visitor instead of traveling around as family. And so sometimes if you're coming as a visitor, you really want to see things, but you've got kids in toe and how do you manage it? And so for our family, what I always do is break the day into chunks.
Speaker 2: So Mike is always up really early.
Speaker 1: So we were like, okay, let's go out and go for a walk and see everything, which is really great because there's not as many crowds.
Speaker 2: In the big cities at that time.
Speaker 1: And then we'd usually do an activity in the morning that required a bit more brain power concentration if we're in Rome or being a visit to the coliseum in the morning, and then in the afternoon we leave it completely free because there's like for naps and by that stage I'll be knitting in that too. And as they got older, what we would do is if we were staying in the countryside, we would get a place with a pool and it going between May and October. In Italy, the pool is your friend. You need a pool and I cannot stress that enough. It's going to make your whole trips so much better. Unfortunately in the big cities there's not so many pools, but that's why you probably need to get out of the countryside as well. Any thoughts around structuring days and things like that, people, One thing that I.
Speaker 6: Like to talk about at the early part of the conversation where I do trip consultations with families is about compromise. So some parents don't think about what it's actually going to be like, for example, to go to the Vatican museums with a young child, until we start talking about what it's really Then they start to understand that maybe that's not the best option, and it's maybe not this time around.
Speaker 4: Maybe you can go back when the kids are older.
Speaker 6: So having to have more of a realistic idea of what it's going to be like during the consultations. Once we can give you more of a realistic idea and in a picture, then parents need to compromise a tiny bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, time for a quick break shorter than your morning espresso. If you've been dreaming of experiencing Italy the way it's to be lived, slow, unhurried and with locals who open their homes and hearts. Our Untold Italy Tours are now open for twenty twenty six and beyond. We handle every detail so you can just show up and soak in the magic. Spots are limited and many field months in advance. Check the link in the show notes or visit Untold Italy tours dot com for details. And actually that's a really great example because we only took our kids to the Vatican Museums last year when they were twelve years old, because I just didn't think they could handle it. It's a minimum of a three hour expedition depending on when you go. It's very crowded. And yeah, we had an amazing guide. And for anyone that's looking for a guide or a company that does tours, live tours is their tastic. They do specific family led tours and this guide we had.
Speaker 2: She leaned writing to my son's interest in.
Speaker 1: Each Gyptology, which you can go into the egypt Room in the Vatican Museum. So that was really cool. Yeah, fantastic, and you can get a discount. Actually, if you're booking with them with code Untold Italy, we'll put that in the show notes. But definitely, if you're going to these big sites, it's really worth getting a guide because not only can they tailor the tour around the kids, but it gives you the opportunity to enjoy the experience yourself. So you're going this far and you're giving these kids this amazing experience, but it's also for you too as parents. And I think people sometimes say to me, oh, they will never remember, you know what. They don't remember specifics, but they remember the vibe. I can't stress this enough. Soak up everything. And I would say my kids are very They don't think they're patient, but they're more patient than used to waiting in lines.
Speaker 2: An amazing experience for them. I think I'm preaching to the choir with you.
Speaker 1: Because we're all big travelers and we're all really believing it. But yeah, it's one thing that I'll never ever regret doing, is going on troops with the kids. So yeah, yeah, all right, should we talk about the toddler's the toddler age where we've got the toddlers entire love the toddlers in direct Yeah, so I'm a little bit over the hump.
Speaker 6: Thankfully she started exclosed September, but we still have our moments. The toddler age is when they're temperamental. We all know that they have tantrums, can't really express themselves. So this is the phase where parents are going to be most self aware of, like, how do I not annoy every single person around me? Right?
Speaker 4: How do I keep this a little bit in control?
Speaker 6: On one side, Italians are very patient and they're accepting because they just understand kids are being kids, not necessarily something happened, or you're not a bad parent, or the kids not bad behave They're just there're three or four. It's just going to happen, and Italians understand that. But on the other side, we also want to make sure that you're setting them up for success.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: So one thing that I particularly seek out when we travel is restaurants. I always want it to be in an area where it's ideally in a piazza or there's a garden or some kind of park just right nearby, because yes, she's going to eat, but then go go off and.
Speaker 4: Go run around.
Speaker 6: Children are going to have a lot of energy at that age. They want to keep moving, touching things. Just it's impossible or not realistic, especially in Italy, where a lunch can last three hours, it's not always realistic to have them just sit there for that whole three hours. So the more you can find a restaurant that's in a public space where there's no car traffic, that you can still keep an eye on them, but they're not just tied to the chair, that is absolutely ideal, and luckily in Italy there's no shortage of those types of places. The same actually goes for accommodation. I remember we show on this perfect apartment in Venice one time, and a lot of people might not know that there's a ton of little piazzas in Venice. It's not just the same Mark's square, so when you open the door, you don't have to worry about them just falling into the canal and they can just run around that piazza in the mornings.
Speaker 4: I love that well Venice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people don't think about it, but there's no guardrails or anything, so it can be a little dangerous with toddlers. But when you're not situated right on the water and instead find somewhere in a more hidden piazza, that's absolutely ideal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Venice is a good one.
Speaker 1: I think it's these pros and cons because I just love going up and down that grand canal on the vaporatory.
Speaker 2: It's like the best entertainment. They're going.
Speaker 1: Oh, look at the track, the rubbage track, or look at the fire engine boat. It's very interesting and I need to be prepared for the wool.
Speaker 6: Yes, the complete opposite style of a trip to Venice is like seeing somewhere in an abby turismo wherever that may be in the countryside of Italy. And animals in general are like the easiest form of entertainment for a toddler, also for myself, especially for small kids. And then and they're at this age where they can actually be hands on and interactive. It's so fun to stay somewhere out of farms day and then the person will just be like, hey, to the kid, do you want to go help me collect the eggs from their chickens or something? Like that, and that's such an easy way just to get them involved and their energy is focused towards something they're helping. Toddlers love to help, so yeah, as most to me are like the easiest win when choosing word to stay with kids.
Speaker 1: So easy. Also, you get your breakfast there and let's be real here and egg breakfast is up there with my King's favorite meal of all time, the twelve different types of cake. I have to just let it all grow. People just lean into it. You'll be doing a lot of running around, but I love it. You get all the different cereal new name it, you're getting it, and they're fueled up for the day and ready to go.
Speaker 4: Very true.
Speaker 5: I would say as well, when you're staying in cities with kids, to have a think about staying near a park. I was helping an Australian family earlier who were coming to Italy and they were staying in Rome, and they were describing their son very active, like a lot of energy to burn, and so we worked out that it would be great for them to stay in near Villa Bodgez there so they could really just run.
Speaker 4: He could run every morning and every afternoon through.
Speaker 5: The gardens and just have a bit of right from that high intensity traffic of tourists and cars and rome, you need to be very careful crossing the road with little children. So yeah, definitely playgrounds and parks are your friends. In big Italian cities.
Speaker 6: Quick conte on playgrounds the Dolomites and northern Italy in general, it's on real So I wish the bags got everywhere across Italy, but the ones in my Dolomites particularly are amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excellent, that's a good point. What about getting around? So we have always done a mixture of train and car and private driver, and I think it really depends on the type of chip that you're having and where you're going. But the train's really easy with kids. Actually, people will help you because well get on and off the train. That's another amazing thing that sort of you know, when you go into a mild panic trying to get your suitcases and hids up onto a train platform in a short amount of time, but there's always someone that's going to help you. I've never had a situation where I've been struggling on my own.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree, I think I think trains are really good with little kids. Actually, one important thing that you might not think about. If you need to get a taxi when you're in Rome or anywhere in Italy, they will not have baby car seats the way.
Speaker 4: That locals do it is if you want one, you byo.
Speaker 5: So I would not recommend doing that because you can imagine how heavy they are to cart around and then what do you do when you get out of the taxi. So consider that, And if you're coming from the airport, I think you might want to look into booking a private driver because then you can with someone like Welcome Pickups, you can pre arrange to have the baby car seat or the toddler car seat in the car. And if you're going to hire a car then obviously you need to organize that in advance to make sure that they have a car seat.
Speaker 4: A baby car seat you might want to consider bringing.
Speaker 5: It's really easy to just throw in your suit case, especially if you're traveling in the summer, as sun shade for that back window as well, because it is really hot in Italy over the summer.
Speaker 4: Yet that was sun beating down.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good one. That's a good one.
Speaker 1: Did you know that the children need a booster seat into age twelve.
Speaker 5: Yes, my Italian husband always tells me about how his mother insisted that he sitting in the seat and.
Speaker 4: He was very embarrassed about that at even twelve years old. But it is the law.
Speaker 1: My kids were just like mutiny, complete out of mutiny. So we actually had these like inflatable ones when they were as they got older. Yeah, so they're taller than me now, so I don't know, do I need one? Yeah, brother, let so I don't know. Yeah, I found that really interesting. But yeah, it's worthwhile looking into all of these rules. And I think sometimes it's best to bring some of that stuff with you because it might not be the standard that you're used to. Let's just say you're getting from a rental car company.
Speaker 4: Definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most airlines, if you're going on maybe more of a premium airline, then it's all included. You don't need to pay any extra kids stuff anyway, So you might as well just do it and make things easier less stressful for yourself here.
Speaker 2: And what about I think with kids.
Speaker 1: The car is really useful because you do have more flexibility and you can get out into the countrysides. Yeah, I would recommend, and people do feel nervous about driving in Italy, but my husband droves and I have driven many times with the kids. One time, when we used to live in the UK, we drive down from the UK to Italy in our British car which has got the steering wheel of the wrong side, and we.
Speaker 2: Would be driving around with that crazy.
Speaker 1: I think it was really good to have the car because it just gave us a lot more flexibility. And I think the kids really enjoy the country spot. For the younger ones, there's a lot more we experience it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we talk about we talk about the countryside, but equally I would say the beach so coastal destinations, it's your trip if you're okay with kind of just relaxing. A lot of the time, people can travel and plan like these beach trips deadly without having to bring anything but your swimsuit. Right. We have the Italian leado experience, which is absolutely ideal for kids. Even as someone who lives here, like I enjoy a good leado because it's as a mom so much less strustful to not have to worry about bringing absolutely everything from the house, so just being able to rent an umbrella, the beach chairs, the kids. I don't know, toddlers to me, I think love the beach lounger chair because they feel like they're an adult, like tanning in the sun.
Speaker 4: So yeah, the water, the beach.
Speaker 6: If your kid likes the water, then I think that could be equally as accommodating as like a trip to the countryside, especially for toddlers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even the teenage.
Speaker 1: My teenage nipis absolutely love the lad well the beach club and they're ordering their drinks and lou But it's actually interesting there because they will usually have a lifeguard person that's guarding the pool. Now, this is quite funny for Australians, so most Australians are quite strong swimmers. And this is the Mediterranean, so it's a sea, it's not an ocean, so we're used us water.
Speaker 2: And I'll never forget this.
Speaker 1: Were the kids were in the sea down on the coast in Campagna and the guard was like, no, not get out, and we had to explain.
Speaker 2: That they know how to serve and they're like, they don't even like need.
Speaker 1: But actually, like half an hour later, another lady went in the sea and she obviously couldn't swim and she was in trouble.
Speaker 2: Just to be aware on that. And on pools.
Speaker 1: It's interesting in Australia and I'm not sure about the US, but if you have a pool, it needs to have a really strong feen surround it, but they don't have that in Italy. If you go to an Agriduruisma or Musadia or something like that, the pool will be open.
Speaker 2: There won't be any fencing or gate around it.
Speaker 1: So just to be aware of that, and you have to be obviously looking out for the kids. Very yeah. Right, so we've covered a lot of ground here. Is there anything that we've missed? I think, like I said, as kids get older, it becomes a little bit What I like to do actually is let them choose where to go. And Lucy and Zach have actually been on this podcast talking about some of the places that they love. Zach's got his place that he always wants to go back to, which is in a miliar ramagnia just for the Tortalini and the balsamic vinegarta to asvertise already in for that. And Lucy she loves a bit of fashion, so she likes Florence, and she loves the mountains and she loves the more spas as well. Sotting them involved makes them more invested in the trip, so they're not going, oh, it's just really boring. And I think really asking them what they like to do or they're in real teenager mood and they're not prepared to share. Looking at their interests is something for everyone. Initially you can find something and you make it exciting totally.
Speaker 5: I would just say a couple of just practical things. Italy does sell nappies, diapers and wipes, so yes, bring enough for the plane, but you don't need to bring two weeks worth. You can get them in supermarkets, the pharmacy, et cetera. And if you are traveling in the summer, just consider it gets really hot, so keeping them in the shade all day, but also the over the hottest times of.
Speaker 4: The day maybe being back in your accommodation.
Speaker 5: And mosquitoes too are a really big one and you don't want to be probably spraying like deep on a little baby. So you can buy these bracelets from the pharmacies in Italy and put them around their prean to ward off the mosquitoes as well.
Speaker 2: Good one.
Speaker 6: Yeah to Kitty your point if your kids are old enough where you can have a reasonable conversation with them and just ask them what do you want out of this trip. I feel like even younger kids below ten, between seven and ten can still give you a solid answer.
Speaker 4: Then that's helps ideal because we want to satisfy the whole family.
Speaker 6: Right. I just added a consultation where they're going to Venice, and she was worried. The mother was worried that we're just going to do this classic Venice itinery. The girls, her twelve and fourteen year old might not be completely interested in what the classic itinery might look like. And we figure out some pretty niche activities that the girls would be interested in, something that they can get hands on with and that they can themselves be excited about. So you have kids, ask them, let them get involved. Like you said, I think that everyone will be happy. If the kids are happy, they're happy. Everyone's happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Doan be scared to use jelasho as a bribe. This is mine superpower, right, Nan want gelato in a day, It's fine. They're gonna spit it off. They're going to run it off. You're doing twenty thousand snips. Let's be generous with gelato and you can make a game out of it. What's your favorite flavor? Well, and my son he wanted to do the Rome past to challenge last time he was there, which is trying all the different roban pastors, so.
Speaker 2: You can make little games with everything.
Speaker 1: Another one is looking at the fountain, especially with little kids, because the fountains have so many animals and cool things for them to look at. We did one tour and the kids were running around roam with a clipboard. It's nothing like a toddler with a clipboard.
Speaker 2: It's such a delight to travel in Italy. And yeah, leave it.
Speaker 1: Also before I forget, you also mentioned pharmacies. They are your friend. They have everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they really do, they really do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this has been a really fun chat. I think we all really just love traveling with kids, and as we mentioned, it is easy in Italy and you can have just such a wonderful time and really encourage anyone. The way that you can do it is also and if you want to have a little bit of break parents, bring the grandparents along. Yes, grandparents, bring the grandparents, make it multi generational, and then you can take to minding the kids and going out for dinner. What have you, although I did actually notice that toddler time and grandparent time for naps was very similar. So that's true. Well just mad So thank you to both of you for joining me and the to hope many families have the same experiences where you have traveling in Italy.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having this Kadi here, Thanks for having us out.
Speaker 1: Something Cassandra said today has stayed with me. When she sits down with families for trip consultations, one of the first things she works out and works through with them is compromise. Not because Italy is hard, but because once you start painting a realistic picture of what it is like to take a four year old through the Vatican museums, you realize that the trip that you thought you were supposed to have and the trip your family will love might be two different things. Getting that right before you go is where we come in. If you're planning a family trip to Italy and you want expert help shaping it around your kids, your travel style, and what will actually work for everyone.
Speaker 2: Our trip planning so are built.
Speaker 1: For exactly that. You can do a quick, fixed chat if you just have a few specific questions that you need answered fast, or a full trip consultation if you want someone to help you build the full plan. All the details, along with the links and recommendations for today are in the episode's show notes at Untold Italy dot com. Thank you to Olivia and Cassandra for a conversation I thoroughly enjoyed, and to you all for being here. Next time, we are counting down to your trip and letting you know all the things to check and do before you get on the plane. So if you like what I'm sharing here, make sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. We post weekly sharing our insights and everything you need to know about traveling in Italy, the Untold Way, far from the crowds and with slow travel principles in mind.
Speaker 2: Show for now.
Speaker 7: The Untold Italy podcast is an independent production podcast editing, audio production and website development by Mark Hatter, Production assistance and content writing Vibing.
Speaker 4: Are they ca Clark?
Speaker 1: Yes, there are two of us. For more information about Untold Italy, please visit Untold Italy dot com.