Speaker 1: It is the Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle. Thank you for hanging out with us today. Don't forget Dallas Maverick's basketball tonight, as the Sacramento Kings will be in town and you can hear all the action right here. I think the best way to do that is to make sure you get you some delicious pizza from Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen. They're the sponsor of the segment Badass Pizza Place right there in Plano at Preston and Plano Parkway. Five distinct styles of pizza and they've mastered them all.
Speaker 2: How do you know?
Speaker 1: They were voted best pizza place and all of Dallas by the Dallas Morning News readers. But it's not just that awesome pasta dishes. A very very good bar with a great beer selection. We know that because Rollertown Beer Works, our brewery that we're partners in that they have a lot of that on tap as well as other brands. Great cocktails, awesome wine selection. You are gonna love it. Right there in Plano it's Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen. But right now it's time for this kill.
Speaker 3: The thing's big well it's very.
Speaker 4: Interesting to see what happened at Saturday Night Live after a bit of a hangover after the big SNL fifty and everyone who is somebody in the entertainment world was there, and then they kind of have a week off and everyone's hungover. We got to get back to work and do the show right, because that's the thing. It's like everyone's been talking about SNL fifty for five years and it's like, oh, yeah, the show's back.
Speaker 3: We have seven more episodes this year.
Speaker 1: I actually when I was looking at the guide, you know, sometimes I'm not like a religious watcher of SNL, but I record it all on DVR and then I'll go and look, go do I need to watch this one? And when it said Shane Gillis, I was like, oh, I think this is a repeat, but I'm not sure. And then when I came home late after mAbs and it was in the middle of a weekday update and it was current news, I was like, Oh, crap, I probably need to watch this from the beginning.
Speaker 4: Because he hosted last year in season forty nine, and it's very rare to come back that fast. I think with season fifty. Lorne Michaels or Lippowitz his real name. Has just wanted to work with people that he likes. Because Nate Bargatzi came back after one year. You've gotten Chappelle and Bilber and all these like comedians, and like he loves Ariana Grande whatever she got to host an episode. He loves Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga was your host and musical guest next week. Like things like that, all the people he wants to work with a lot of times. Shane is a good one to have after S and L fifty because you can go Shane Gillis is gonna have stuff and we might be a little dry, okay, So it's a perfect perfect host. Shane Gillis your musical guest, Tate McCrae. Do you know anything about Tate McCrae.
Speaker 2: I had never heard of her before, but I'm an old man.
Speaker 1: I had just had a conversation about Tate McCrae a week ago with my wife, and I didn't know who.
Speaker 2: That person was.
Speaker 1: But because their name was Tate McCrae, I thought it was a male country artist.
Speaker 3: It does sound like a male country artist.
Speaker 4: So I only knew her because she was a season forty nine musical guest.
Speaker 1: Okay, we were driving and we were you know, Spotify will do Friday releases, new Friday songs, so we're skipping through and when she pulled up, Tate mccress like, I don't want to listen to new Country.
Speaker 2: She goes, no, this is Tate mccraye.
Speaker 1: She's an art she's a pop star, and started playing it and I didn't know what she looked like, and so watching SNL was my first time to see what she looked like. And man, I gotta say, and again, that's not my lane. That stuff is so boring, and I know what she's doing.
Speaker 2: My wife.
Speaker 1: People say, she goes, well, she's trying to be Britney Spears for this generation. And I'm sitting there watching it and she's spreading her legs a lot and wearing tiny shorts and all this, and I'm thinking to myself, you know where we're at in society, She's gonna need to perform a sexual act on stage to get anyone's attention because this music is boring and it just seems that she's copying what other people have done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Brittany had catchy bops at least.
Speaker 2: Who was her audience. Well, let me be like young girls. I listen to this. I go, Dez.
Speaker 1: Came home from being out on Saturday night, my seventeen year old, and I.
Speaker 2: Go, Dez, what do you think of Tate McCrae.
Speaker 1: And he goes, She's bad And I was like, bad like her music sucks or bad like that's a bad bee.
Speaker 2: He goes like, that's a bad bee. And I was like, all right, I get it. They like her because she's sexy and her butt's hanging out, but took hot.
Speaker 1: She's known for being a good dancer or a dancer her her songs are not good.
Speaker 2: I super good either. And she came out on a stack of metal chairs. I thought she was going to die on TV, Like, I can't believe that everybody knows those chairs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think a mass halftime acting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was very very much like that. But I thought she was going to fall.
Speaker 1: But the whole thing is she's going to turn to the audience. And actually, I don't know if you guys have seen the cover of her album, but she and they showed it on SNL. She's facing the other way with their legs wide open. It's her colon. Yeah, and so it's like that whole thing, and I'm sitting there thinking about it and I'm like, you know, but part of it is I'm fifty and so I've seen all this before. And then after hearing my son's response, I realized, Oh, every generation's gonna have one. They're all gonna have their Brittany, we had Madonna. They're going to keep recycling this thing because it's.
Speaker 2: New to them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's an old hat to us, but it's new to them. And that's appealing to teenage boys.
Speaker 4: Even with the artists Thudy that you don't know anything about, you can usually hear something and you might go, okay, that's okay, you know, every even I remember last season she host when she was the music question of someone going.
Speaker 3: Jesus is bad. I thought it's the same thing this week too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought it was boring and lacked a good hook.
Speaker 3: Yeah. All right, Well there was Tate McCrae. But Shane is the story here.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Shane was hired by SNL in twenty nineteen, and then everyone went out and found clips of him online in his podcast that he does, and you know, tweets and things like that, and within one day NBC fired Shane Gillis from SNL.
Speaker 1: So he was going to be like just a regular cast. He was hired at the same time as Bow and Yang. Oh, and it was was it racist Asian?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 4: It was Asian slurs, and Bow and Yang has been accused of doing that and he has defended that a ton.
Speaker 2: He's been accused of being the one.
Speaker 4: He's just because he did the Asian slurs doesn't mean the gay Asian guy went and wind to NBC. He's like the like the people did this, I did nothing. Yeah, and Lorne Michaels has said he did not do this. NBC made this decision. So Shane, you know, after five years, gets brought back to host last year.
Speaker 3: It's all good. We address it.
Speaker 4: I mean Norm McDonald, we've talked about this for nor mc donald hosted like within months after he was fired from.
Speaker 3: NBC, and it was good.
Speaker 4: They had to wait five years until they were like, okay, we can put shade in there now. And then gets a bit of a joke and now we don't have to do but for the second time, we're not really gonna live off that joke. If I got fired last time. The monologue the first time was fine. This time it was rough. I'm gonna play you. This is about the second or third joke here of the of the of the day. He started out with one Trump Woden Biden, Okay, play both sides, and then here we kind of get going.
Speaker 5: There's the thing I've noticed that white guys do, and most white guys I know do it, and nobody seems to be talking about it, all right, and it is racist. There's a thing white guys do that whenever they're dating a woman for the first time, they always ask him eventually, have you ever?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: I didn't even finish every one of you. It's a weird thing to ask.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't do it, do you know, Christina?
Speaker 2: I do, but I will say I've never had a guy ask me.
Speaker 3: About it before. For those out there that don't know, it will get there.
Speaker 5: So yeah, all right, you gotta find the right time to ask, though you don't want to go too early with that.
Speaker 3: You look like a psycho.
Speaker 5: You don't want to be like on Tinder, like have you ever had sex with a black guy before? It's a shameful thing to ask. All right, I've done it. I'm not proud I've done it. One time, I was in the car with the girl I was dating at the time. We were driving home from my friend Jamal's house, all right, and out of nowhere, the girl I was dating at the time, she just goes, hmmm, Jamal's handsome.
Speaker 2: I was like, all right.
Speaker 5: With me, I'm not insecure or racist or whatever would make me care about that. She brought it up, so now I can ask without looking like a psycho.
Speaker 3: So I was like, have you ever, would you ever ever? Do you ever? Have you ever had sex with the black eyes?
Speaker 2: She goes with you?
Speaker 5: Who know?
Speaker 3: I was like, Jesus, Chris, what are you racist?
Speaker 5: All right, I'll tell you this now that I've got your.
Speaker 4: He had done this a couple of times before that is make a little okay, lost you on that one.
Speaker 2: That's he does that a lot. Yeah, like he I think he enjoys like that awkwardness. Like almost every time I've ever seen him, he loses the audience and pushes it that far. And that joke. I think I've heard him do that two other times at least once. I was like, wait, why is he just going through old jokes?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: This is the thing. And I can't remember who told me this, but it was. This is in the last two months. If someone telling me they were going to see Shane when he was at the American Airline Center, they're like, yeah, I don't know what to expect though, because like, I've never that. I think they'd seen him twice and they're like, it was the same thing I see if he was is this sustainable or not?
Speaker 2: Man, and a lot of comedians are like that.
Speaker 1: There are I bet I've seen Bill Burr live in person five or six times. I've never seen him do the same material twice. Yeah, And Chappelle is usually pretty good about not recycling material too. Some of it does get recycled, but those two guys are amazing at keeping it fresh.
Speaker 2: But when I saw Shane Gillis at the AC, I didn't recognize really anything. Yeah, I thought it was all original. There may have been one or two other things he probably has, but this I was like, Oh wow, he went back even before this latest special like or his latest tour. Oh that's old old materials.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh wow, he's funny, Like I've got eight minutes, so my best stuff. I don't know, but it was odd if it wasn't his best stuff. This was absolutely not his best stuff. What you're about to hear this was a wild joyce. And I don't think it's terrible by the way, I think it's fine.
Speaker 3: I'm getting older.
Speaker 5: I can tell him getting older because the only thing I watch is historical documentaries. I also drink a lot, so I don't Uh, I haven't retained one piece of information turned on and I'm asleep. I've watched the same episode of World War Two in HD.
Speaker 2: So this this goes back to like he's he's doing little pieces of material that are part of bigger things. Like I've heard a bigger set up on that Jamal thing. I heard a bigger set up on this he talks about, you know, he makes fun of his dad for the way he watched the news, and he says, I'm his history buff. He goes that's early onset Republican, and so like this is old.
Speaker 4: Uh huh yeah, And I think I mean, like, you get eight minutes, and Lord gets mad if you go past eight minutes, Like comedians get a little longer leash eight minutes, though you like it was eleven, we need to cut it down to eight like, okay, so it's tough if he's kind of got longer form bits.
Speaker 3: But the crowd was not loving this. I'm on episode one. I've been on episode one for four years.
Speaker 5: I wake up at four am. It's still on volume at fifty. Episode eight. Stalingrad just wake up to artillery every night. Just but my favorite historical documentary is it's called ken Burns Civil War. Also it's kryptonite to women. If you put that on, they will fall asleep. You know. Yeah, we have about some ken Burns. That's a little Cosby tip for you. Actually, who needs roopies when we have ken Burns presents the history of the Buffalo bbs?
Speaker 3: Like that's pretty good. But they just were not going. And that's like the size of that studio to show you there ain't many people there. There ain't many seats.
Speaker 1: I think too though it sounds better than it watched, Like, you know, the tension in the studio, it was just it was very dead.
Speaker 2: But it sounds better than it was. I think a big part of that is when the band behind him does not laugh. Yeah, they were justly yeah, and you know when he was doing like the edgy you know, racist humor, you could see a black guy not laughing directly over his shoulder, but it's just tense. Yeah, And I guess that's part of his bit too, is to run fast and loose with the race stuff.
Speaker 3: All right, that's.
Speaker 1: Gonna do it for us to day. But don't forget there is going to be Dallas Mavericks basketball later in the meantime. I'll never forget the time KT looked Jamal dead in the eye and he said, well, I.
Speaker 4: Just think in these times, I think it's really important that we all consider everything when it comes to the.
Speaker 3: World we're living in.
Speaker 2: God, what a waste of time that was.
Speaker 1: Christina is gonna play some music in the meantime next on the Eagle.
Speaker 3: Here you going, well, I'm gonna get my sack backed, dude, God bless Jesus.