Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty The Gary and Shannon Show, on demand on the iHeartRadio app, Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Stories We're falling for you Today.
Speaker 1: Jury selection and Karen Reid's murder trial back under way.
Speaker 2: They're in Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: Late yesterday, a total of sixteen jurors was reached. A judge once eighteen totals, so they have six alternates. She's accused of prosecutors of striking and killing her cop boyfriend with her car, John O'Keefe, back in twenty twenty two. She says she's being framed for his killing. Her first trial last year ended with a hung jury. She claims that it was his cop buddies that led a fight with them that led to his death, and they're trying to all cover it up. It is True Crime Tuesday, which means we will bring you a true crime story coming up at twelve thirty. It is a local true crime story, and it is the tale of a woman who was accused of killing her husband, not her herself, but orchestrating the murder of her husband using her lover who happened to be a porn star at one time, and a racquetball coach.
Speaker 2: Really something for everyone.
Speaker 1: We'll be talking live to the prosecutor in the case, Beth Silverman.
Speaker 3: There is a very weird story out of Massachusetts now. A sixth staff member with a brain tumor has been identified at one hospital there in Massachusetts. All six of these staffers work or have worked, on the fifth floor of mass General Brigham's Newton Wellesley Hospital. It's about twenty miles or twenty minutes west of Boston. Each of the brain tumor cases was benign, but they said that six additional staffers on the floor were also found to have had other health concerns, and earlier this month they insisted there were no environmental risks at play. The chances of six people working in the same place with brain tumors. It's strange. Jackie Robinson Dodgers take on the Rockies tonight at Dodger Stadium, first pitches at seven o'clock. Listen every play on a five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth. Stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. Used that keyword AM five to seventy La Sports. Everybody in baseball today? Where's the number forty two in Dodger Blue? In honor of Jackie Robbinson.
Speaker 1: A new mayor in town in San Francisco won the election in November. Daniel Lurie is his name, and people say that he is the real deal.
Speaker 2: That he is changing things up there.
Speaker 1: The last time we spoke about him, that was about how they are cracking down on the whole giving.
Speaker 2: People needles thing, which is nice.
Speaker 1: This is a guy who's aired a Levi Strauss family fortune.
Speaker 2: I did not know.
Speaker 1: This comes from one of San Francisco's most prominent families, roots dating back to the gold Rush, obviously from the Levi Strauss family deep connection to the city.
Speaker 2: He says, the vibe shift is real in our city.
Speaker 1: There's a sense of hope and optimism that we haven't seen for a long time.
Speaker 3: It's a weird thing because the derivative that's not the right word, as I say, the derivative policies that have come out of San Francisco, each iteration was farther away from common sense, it seemed over the last say, twenty five or thirty years. And Mayor London breed the previous mayor kind of epitomized that despite whatever happened during COVID, where she tried to bring some amount of common sense into this. Daniel Lurie, right after his inauguration at the beginning of January, introduces an ordinance that allows the city to more quickly open new shelter programs, new treatment programs, and then gives his office, the Mayor's office, a little bit more leeway to provide private funding for those efforts. And then and again, these are common sense things that could be done in any major city if you have common sense left. He announced the new public health policy that would prohibit but anybody from the city and any nonprofit that receives city funding from handing out sterile syringes and other clean drug supplies unless they actively work to connect somebody with services. You couldn't just hand out a clean needle and hope that that was enough to get people something help off the streets. Whatever.
Speaker 1: He's also reaching out to the business community the way that we've talked about the way things should be or could be done in Los Angeles. He's tapped a handful of these tech and business executives to act as advisors and shape policies that will help bring back downtown. Go down to downtown San Francisco. There's nothing there. It's a ghost town. We'll start it with COVID, or maybe even a little bit before COVID, but COVID shut everything down and it just has not returned. Listen to this family. His wife is a high ranking aid to Newsome. She's Newsome's chief of protocol. His son a three sport kid, eleven year old, baseball, soccer, flag football. His daughter is in the San Francisco Ballet. Performed in the San Francisco Ballet. She's fourteen. Credible, but it's nice, I mean, And he's getting the accolades from other Democrats in Sacramento. Scott Wiener is doing one of them, which is odd. I don't know if you want those fingerprints on the crime scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's still got He's going to have some hard times coming up. He's got some big decisions to make because I like LA. He's running a budget deficit there in San Francisco, nearly a billion dollars. That would require, again, if you use common sense, some pretty big cuts, some sweeping cuts across the across the board, and then negotiations with the Board of Supervisors, you have to have negotiations with the labor unions there. He's already gotten pushedback from some people who are concerned that all of this is going to ignite a repeat of the War on drugs? But where has what have you done in the intervening time from the late eighties early nineties when the War on drugs was such a big deal and now it's just exploded out of control in the streets of San Francisco. You got to find some other way to do things. And it sounds like, at least in the beginnings, he's got some common sense that he's trying to do things a different way.
Speaker 1: I just saw this funny story. Did you hear something we were kind of talking about off the air? But did you hear about the director of Home Alone two? Home Alone two not even the original Home Alone two Lost in New York. The director says he wishes he could remove Trump's cameo from the film. He said Trump's short role in the film has become a curse, an albatross for him.
Speaker 3: He said he can't. Thirty years ago, he.
Speaker 1: Said he can't cut the scene, and if he did, he would be sent out of the country. He said, he would be seen as not fit to live in the US and would be sent to Italy or something. This was a scene where Miculay Culkin runs into him on like fifth Avenue and asks for directions.
Speaker 3: It's a lighthearted thirty three years ago. It's a nineteen ninety two movie.
Speaker 1: It's an albatross for the director, an albatross Chris Columbus, he would be sent to Italy or this is what he think like and also ps like being sent to Italy.
Speaker 3: Awful?
Speaker 2: How awful? It's like you're sent to Syria.
Speaker 3: This is what he thinks about all day.
Speaker 2: This is what he thinks about.
Speaker 1: The Fact that he even thinks enough for this to make that Associated Press news minute is troubling to me.
Speaker 3: I'd rather talk about my taxes than think about that.
Speaker 1: I'd rather bitch about yoga directions exactly.
Speaker 2: We are doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, look at us with a level headed approach to life.
Speaker 3: How's your serenity? Juice?
Speaker 1: My serenity juice? I don't know, do I seem serene?
Speaker 3: Give it a couple Give it a couple of I think it's going to work up. Next, the demographic shift in California. Pretty interesting way that the way our peoples look different now than they did before. Our peoples are peoples. We're a land of many people and a chance for you to want a thousand bucks coming up.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: There is a changing migration pattern when it comes to California and our demographics. For two decades, more Asians have come to California than Latin Americans, which has reshaped the immigrant experience in California. Not just the immigrant experience, I would argue LA times in the workforce California data showing more highlight skilled immigrants coming from Asia, fewer lower skilled workers coming from Latin America. In Silicon Valley, they say forty two percent of Santa Clara County residents are now immigrants, most from China and India, to be expected when you think about what goes on in Silicon Valley. Right by contrast, La County is about one third immigrant, with most coming from Latin America.
Speaker 3: Still that changed, they said in two thousand and seven. That was when everything changed, because thirty five years ago or so nineteen ninety only thirty two percent of immigrants to California came from Asia, more than half, fifty six percent came from Latin America. And then in two thousand and seven they said the majority of people still living in the state are still from Latin America, but on the annual basis, the flow of people coming across the border includes a greater percentage from Asia now. So in twenty twenty two, forty six percent of California immigrants came from Asia, thirty eight percent came from Latin America. It's fun. I mean, you mentioned Silicon Valley being now having a much higher percentage of Asian immigrants than say La County. That's that's now becoming sort of or compounding the story of two different states, two different versions of what California is and looks like.
Speaker 1: They say much of the influx was a result of the H one B visa program, which brought nearly seventy nine thousand skilled workers to California last year. Most of them were sponsored by tech companies Google, Meta Apple, which makes sense. Most of these went to Indian and Chinese citizens.
Speaker 3: Seventy three percent of them went to Indian people, twelve percent to Chinese residents. I wonder if because of our well boy nonic war against China right now, if those ah, if those H one B visas shrink even more.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting that.
Speaker 3: They're not going to want. I mean, there's thousands and thousands and thousands of Chinese people, Chinese citizens living within the United States for school, for work, and that sort of thing. But I wonder if that takes a big hit just with the immigration policies that the Trump administration has been pushing. About fifteen percent of Asian Americans in California are estimated to be undocumented. That's according to Connie Chung Joe. She's the chief executive of Asian Americans Advancing Justice Southern California. Whatever that means.
Speaker 1: You know, when you buy a house, you learn this, don't you. You get a lot of all cash offers coming in from.
Speaker 3: People oh yeah, from the oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Asian countries and pricing out people. And it's gonna be interesting to see how that progresses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how.
Speaker 1: The how the they're calling it the Trump wild card, but I don't know. I mean, his policies don't change the way tech companies look at bringing in workers from India and China who just in their spare time.
Speaker 2: Part of their perfect day is coding.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's how they relax, you know what I mean, Like we're we're over there playing uh, you know, Whack a mole, candy crush or candy crush.
Speaker 2: They they they're extracurriculars.
Speaker 1: Are the kind of things that big tech companies are looking for to pay you six figures.
Speaker 3: One of the rules that we have said in this show is that breasts are often like pizza.
Speaker 2: Breasts are often like pizza.
Speaker 3: But we've found an exception to the rule.
Speaker 1: Which I don't know the rule. I don't know the more I think about it, because I guess it's just most pizza. Like I've had some bad pizza before, you know what I mean. Okay, I haven't seen a lot of breasts. I mean, I've seen a lot of breasts, but I've never seen breasts and been like, oh that those are bad breasts. I've had pizza where I'm like, eh, but I haven't seen that many. I mean, I don't know how many breast would you say you've seen.
Speaker 3: In my life?
Speaker 1: Goodness, that's totally irrelevant to the conversation. But I apologize. I've read a lot of pizza, right, what percentage of the pizza would you say you've eaten as bad?
Speaker 3: Four?
Speaker 2: Four percent?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Do you think the same goes for boobs?
Speaker 3: Just about that? Yeah? Single digits low, single digit okay, yeah, all.
Speaker 2: Right, so then we'll stick with our U. We'll stick with that.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from kfi AM six.
Speaker 1: Forty Gosh, black Hole Son. You couldn't get away from that video. They played that video three other video for like a year and a half.
Speaker 3: Kids. There used to be a show, it's whole TV channel as a matter of fact, where they would play the video versions of songs oh my Crazy and.
Speaker 2: It was such a downer video.
Speaker 1: It was like the weather today, it's not that bad, it's pretty bad.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon kfi AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: We just came up with a fun game, a fun okay. So here's the deal. We do a podcast for the weekend. It's called the Weekend Fix, right, the Weekend Fix, and we last weekend put together podcast for you, and it was basically our origin story but we're not superheroes, but it was how Gary and I kind of got to be together and how we kind of followed the same path through life, and we talked about that. We said a lot of bad words. I think there was an F and S and MF for a C. There was a lot. And that was before we even really started the topic. You were just letting it all out.
Speaker 2: I was not the only one that swore anyway.
Speaker 1: So we did that last week, So if you haven't checked it out, go grab the podcast.
Speaker 2: It's called The Weekend Fixed.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Now, the fun idea was, since we did that, we were kind of talking about, well, what should we do this week? What do you think we should do? What topic should we do? Let us know on the talkback feature. Just hit that little microphone on the iHeart app there, if you're listening on the iHeart app, the little microphone thing, and you hit that talk back feature and let us know what kind of topic you'd like us to tackle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean maybe as an example, I mean that whole stuff about us being geographically adjacent for so long before we even started this show. Is there any is there something else that we've talked about that maybe people don't know the backstory too, or something like that that we could get into and we'll post that up for Saturday. And again if you are if you follow and subscribe to the podcast, you'll be able to get that first thing Saturday morning when it posts. But you got to make sure that you subscribe to the podcast in order to get the extra stuff. All right.
Speaker 2: So we talked about this case before.
Speaker 1: It is the case of a now former LA police officer who happened to touch a dead woman's breast while on duty as part of an investigation into her death. His name is David Rojas, and now the criminal case has been dismissed. He has complied with everything they've asked of him. According to the judge, he successfully completed an eighteen month judicial diversion program. What kind of diversion program exists for a guy who gets handsy with a corpse. Furthermore, maybe it's because I've listened to handle for twenty years. Where's the harm in this? And I think this was my takeaway the first time around. In fact, I'd be flattered if I died and the investigating officer.
Speaker 2: Touched one, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I mean, those have got to be some good boobs to be touched worthy in death?
Speaker 3: Not right?
Speaker 2: I suppose you'd be a little flattered.
Speaker 3: His story is that he turned on his body worn camera. He used a flashlight to shed light on this body that was found in a darkened bedroom. He touched the woman's breast twice, white right breast twice with his gloved hand after he noticed a mark that he couldn't identify, and he said he knew he was being recorded because the body cam was on. He denied being aroused at the time or trying to humiliate or degrade the body the woman, and through his own attorney, the officer denied becoming any sort of sexually attracted to the woman when he saw her corpse. In under cross examination, he said, I went straight to the section where I see the marking, explaining that he squeezed or pinched the area to see if anything would gush out because he had no idea what it was. What is going on?
Speaker 2: How do you lose your job over this?
Speaker 1: You're the the officer that shows up dead body. There's marks in the body you investigate, happens to be on our breast.
Speaker 2: What's the deal?
Speaker 3: Well, I would argue, on the one hand, an officer shouldn't be touching the body that's the job of detectives and or coroner's office officials. I mean this is after the paramedics had come, they declared the woman dead and threw the sheet over the body. He took it back and was looking there. He did testify he was taught that touch the nipple. I think that's the problem. He touched the bread and then touch the nipple, one of the detectives said.
Speaker 1: He said there was no need for that. He said that she was already ruled dead. There was no reason to physically examine, let alone the nipple.
Speaker 3: They did say that he was found eligible for a diversion program, and again I don't know exactly what that would look like. Attorneys representing the woman's family members filed court papers that in formed of judge of a conditional resolution.
Speaker 1: Does this happen enough to where there's a diversion program about not touching dead people or not touching genitals or breasts?
Speaker 3: And I don't know what is it? Do they just show you something and then.
Speaker 1: I've never done voiceover work. Debora has done a lot of voiceover work. She's a successful voiceover artist. But I would really like to voice a diversion program about not touching the breasts of dead people.
Speaker 3: For those videos that show up in art that we have to do our.
Speaker 2: Trading pro love do one of those.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't it just be something that would be fun. If you see breast, don't touch.
Speaker 1: It unless it's yours. Like, if you like, you can touch your wife's breasts. Right, Sometimes sometimes you're right, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 3: Just walk up. I mean I sometimes right.
Speaker 1: Usually consents probably a good idea for all of it. But I mean, if you're married, If you're married, what if you fill out paperwork to have access to the breasts.
Speaker 3: That's not what it said on the paperwork I filled out.
Speaker 2: Do you read it? You read that paperwork?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for real, it's just And I don't think it said anything about that.
Speaker 2: No, of course it didn't.
Speaker 3: Right, of course it didn't say anything about that.
Speaker 2: Say something about breasts.
Speaker 3: Guys. Another reason to go to Coachella is to get ripped off while you're at Coachella. And I'm not just talking about the food.
Speaker 1: Gary Channon will call, well, there's a lot of money on people that go to Coachella and they're done with it.
Speaker 3: Did you know? Did you know? Just you tell many people? How many people financed their tickets. To know what that's you know what? Let them finance.
Speaker 2: Let them.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you that number. Would we come by.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Former President Biden said to speak today, Oh really, as his first public appearance is leaving the presidency. I will be speaking at a conference tonight in Chicago. He's one of the keynote speakers at You want to Guess?
Speaker 2: I have no idea the Advocates.
Speaker 1: Counselors and Representatives for the Disabled Conference.
Speaker 3: Edison. That is an interesting place for him to be a watch it.
Speaker 1: It's his first visit to Chicago since we saw him at the DNC AM.
Speaker 2: I gonna watch it, are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm going to leave a mandatory meeting we have to go through, which is basically Guantanamo Bay for myself for a couple hours, and then go home and watch Joe Biden at the Disabled Conference, and then just ended all my.
Speaker 3: Periation in Pianna.
Speaker 1: Driving from Orange County up to Sequoia today on the road trip with my kids and.
Speaker 4: Had a feeling it was going to be a good idea.
Speaker 1: To plug them into the iPad with their headphones so that I could listen to you guys, And sure enough we're talking about people and genitalia and nipples. So yeah, reparenting people my heart because I get to keep listening and they're fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are fine.
Speaker 2: We're shielding the children from this show now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, nipples are apart part of science, right. Shouldn't the kids know about nipples?
Speaker 3: They probably know about.
Speaker 2: Them, right, it's just an anatomy.
Speaker 3: They just don't often talk about them, right or hear about them. Right.
Speaker 1: There's we could get into far worse stuff than just nipples.
Speaker 5: It's also hey, Gary Shannon, Hey, bet your butt, I'm going to subscribe to that Weekend Fix.
Speaker 3: Thank here's an idea.
Speaker 5: How about misadventures and everyday life? Share stories of the odd and unexpected moments that happen in day to day routines.
Speaker 1: Just the thought misadventures every day life? I will keep all right, I like it. Misadventures We kind of did that, you know, with yoga and taxes. Those were some misadventures everyday life.
Speaker 3: Also, let us know what you would like to hear on our Weekend Fix. You can leave us a talk back message when you're on the app. Just hit that little microphone button and it will, in fact send us a quick message, bless you. AH took it away from you. I took your power.
Speaker 1: You can't take my power without my consent, which means I consented to give you the sneeze.
Speaker 3: Yes means yes, yes, yes. Billboard Magazine. Billboard Magazine, the music industry magazine, says about sixty percent of people who went to Coachella this last weekend, sixty percent financed their tickets to go to Coachella because it's a couple hundred bucks, you know, six hundred and fifty bucks or something like that for the first weekend and probably six hundred for the second weekend.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, if when I was twenty four, I'm putting twenty four at the age i'd go to Coachella, okay, because twenty two there was no way I had a credit card to finance the trip to Coachella, right, So for me, it would have been twenty.
Speaker 3: Four where I had.
Speaker 1: Le their credit card that was worth about one thousand dollars where I could charge a trip to Coachella.
Speaker 3: You had a limit on it, a fIF a thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Probably, yeah, probably, the which was huge to me that point in time, and so I can see doing that because you, when you're twenty four, you don't have six hundred dollars lying around. It's just you just don't. Most a lot many twenty four year olds do not. I did not. I did not just have six hundred dollars to spend on or otherwise, to spend on fun or otherwise. I just did not have any sort of savings whatsoever. So I would totally charge the whole thing. And I guess I don't know what the average age of Coachella is, but I would imagine it's, you know, mid twenty something like that. I could be wrong, because I know old people that go, and that makes.
Speaker 3: Me sad Coachella.
Speaker 1: Weren't we just talking to someone recently who said that they were doing ayahuasca or whatever at Coachella and looking at the stars.
Speaker 3: No, No, that was burning man. Okay.
Speaker 1: Anyway, all of those stories make me very sad. When someone reaches a certain age and they're going to this stuff. Yeah, I get sad. There's also I shouldn't judge, and I'm not. No, I just feel like I.
Speaker 3: Aged out of it when you were about thirty two.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'd have a really bad trip if I went to Coachella and I was fifty five and I went to Coachella and I took a whocyinogenic and I'm sitting there with like you and your wife were sitting there, and all of a sudden, it hits me, I am fifty five and I'm with a bunch of twenty five year olds, and what am I doing?
Speaker 3: It is very cliche. That's why you took the drugs in the first place, is to fight off that feeling.
Speaker 2: Is that what it is? Is that why I took the drugs.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I thought I took the drugs just to feel something again.
Speaker 3: I feel on the weekend and while everything was going on, I would have gone to one of the great casinos that's out there. Yeah, I mean, talk about a great weekend to hit the casinos. Because everybody else is at the concert, there's no dirt. There's also an issue with people who stayed in hotels. There was one very specific Lakita Resort and Club, the pretty high end property there. People paid some good money to get their rooms. Several groups of guests found their rooms meticulously ransacked when they got back to the hotel Friday. They said that the thieves, whoever they were, ignored the easily traceable items like a laptop or a phone or everyone's gonna have their phone with them, but they took designer handbags, sunglasses, perfume clothing. James King is a forty year old trumpet player in the band behind Bruno Mars. Ellie Brownridge a thirty one year old high school teacher. They came to the festival from Vegas and they got back to their hotel, showed no signs of forced entry, and didn't realize they'd been burgled until their friends in the adjoining room banged on the door that said that they had been robbed as well. They said, we were tired. We didn't see anything that was a miss or abnormally placed, but for others, they said, somewhere between three groups of people who had items stolen that she was aware of, they had lost at least one hundred thousand dollars worth of stuff.
Speaker 1: Don't bring one hundred thousand dollars worth of stuff. I guess they mean like clothes and stuff too.
Speaker 3: Close, handbags and things like that, but I that's a And then when the cops show up. The cops are like, yeah, you're the fifth person whose room has been burgled. And at this point they said there were two laptops in a phone in one of the rooms that was not taken a guard. A security guard mentioned to them that there was a misplaced housekeeping key that might have been used, hence the no signs of forced entry. So swamp pat.
Speaker 1: This is why, between the two of us, we spent about seventy seven dollars on our outfits.
Speaker 3: So that nobody feels like they should steal it. Love us, they leave, they leave clothes for us. Stuff. You miss any part of the show, go back out and check the podcast. Go to KFI AM six forty dot com, slash Garyshannon, or on the iHeart app just type in Gary and Shannon and make sure you subscribe. We'll talk more about the weekend fix ideas.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we have ideas.
Speaker 3: Got a couple, Okay, Gary and Shannon. We'll continue right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on kf I AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.