Speaker 1: And now your host for Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 2: Tam Case, Hi everybody, and welcome in to Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. I hope you're enjoying this Wednesday afternoon. You're Los Angeles Dodgers there in San Diego to wrap up this two game series. Dodgers sixty three and forty five on this season, first place the top of the NL West with a five and a half game lead over both the Padres and the Diamondbacks. Clayton Kershaw on the mountain tonight from Petgo Park. First pitch is coming up at five forty coming up over the next hour here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we got a lot to get to. We're gonna hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts. We'll dive deeper into this great pitching matchup with Clayton Kershawn, Dylan Seizk going at it. David Batistego goes one on one with one of the newest Dodgers, Jack Flaherty, the pride of Burbank back home in Southern California and with the Dodgers. We'll hear from him coming up in forty five wins. Shortly, we'll check you out with Kirsten Watson from Sports in at La and in just a few minutes we'll send it out to the gallopin Motors Broadcast booth and hear from Rick Monday and Tim never Well. Last night started off so good for the Dodgers, but like a slow drip, the Padres made their way all the way back and tied it in the ninth and then walked off the Dodgers in the tenth. The first ending of the Dodgers exploded for five runs against the knuckleballer Matt Waldron. The Dodgers got a sack fly from Gavin Locks, Andy pie Has with a two run single and the Dodgers led three to nothing.
Speaker 3: But they weren't done. Cavin Bigio in deep.
Speaker 4: Two and two and the pitch swang on and belt it deep to right down the line. It is headed for the corner after a David Peralta and he can't make the play. That ball is off the foul Paul for a home run. Biggio's second home run with two strikes on him this road trip, and the Dodgers have opened up a five to nothing.
Speaker 2: Leave Avin Bizio goes deep, his second of the season, second in three days, as the Dodgers take a.
Speaker 3: Five to nothing the lead.
Speaker 2: But that's when the offense completely shut down and the Dodgers' offense would get no more. Maddy Machado a home run in the second that got the Padres on the board that made it a five to one game, then pro for an RBI single in the third that minted a five to two Dodgers lead. Then cronin Worth with an RBI double later in the third made it a five to three Dodgers lead. Then in the ninth inning, Dodgers up to they gave the ball to their bullpen after Tyler Glass, now win seven innings, allowed three runs on six ss Andy Anthony Bonda pitched the eighth inning, struck out a batter, put up a zero. The ninth inning belonged to Blake Trining, and it wasn't good Manny Machatto the first pitch he saw a home run four hundred and fourteen feet to left center field that made it a one run Dodger lead of five to four. Then Jackson Merrill came to the plate, oh no, and.
Speaker 4: A two to one pitch from Tryina Merril swints, he hits a drive and the game is tied. Oh he hit it to right, well over the home run. Since they've got out there and play trying to has allowed his second home run this inning, and the Padres have come all the way back to tying.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Boy, back came the Padres with two home runs in the fifth extra innings they went. The Dodgers failed to score even with the free runner at second base in the top of the tenth. Well, the bottom half of the tenth with a different story. Donovan Solano RBI single to left.
Speaker 3: You know what happened.
Speaker 2: Padres walk off the Dodgers last night, six to five. The struggles of the bullpen they are real this month in July, which wraps up today, twenty three games a five to eighty one ERRA It's second worst in the big leagues and they are tied in the major leagues with nine blown saves. The Dodgers' bullpen in the month of July August cannot get here fast enough for this Dodgers' bullpen. Well, they look to get the win tonight and get the split at Petco Park, just demanded to do it. Clayton Kershaw on the mound first pitch coming up at five forty with more, Let's head out to the Gallpin Motors broadcast booth as we say good afternoon to Rick Monday and Tim never guys.
Speaker 4: Tim, thank you very much, Sonny. And in the mid seventies here in San Diego at Petco Park, ready for the second and final game of this brief two game series with the Podres. The Dodgers start to night five and a half in front of them in the National League Western Division sixty three and forty five, and the Dodgers have really struggled on the road as of late, losing nine of the last eleven road games. Meantime, the Pondres fifty eight and fifty one have won eight of their last nine games, and on the mound for them tonight is Dylan Cease ceases ten and eight and coming off of a no hitter, his first career noal hitter in the second in Podres history that was against Washington and his last start. He also has a twenty two inning scoreless streak. Clayton Kershaw on the come on for the Dodgers, his second start of the season, no decisions in a four and a half er. Well, before we move on to tonight, got a look at last night and the game the Dodgers had it seemed, but they just couldn't score after the first inning. And it was the third time in the last thirteen days they have blown a five nothing.
Speaker 5: Well, when you said that we need to look back at last night, my first thought was do we have to? Because there's a lot of things that have to change, and one of them is the Dodgers have to hit better.
Speaker 6: They have to pitch better, in particular out of the bullpen.
Speaker 5: You start to look at the bullpen, they've had difficulties of recent times. In fact, the last thirteen games collectively bullpen's era, and it's been worked hard. But the era is six and three quarters. And then you start to look also, you know last night only three hits over the last nine innings of the ballgame. And for the Dodgers, you start to look now, the last six road games they've had, they've experienced four walk off losses, and that's got to change in a hurry. The other part, too, is they have to make contact. They have struck out. We talked about it last night. The last four games the Dodgers have struck out a total of fifty five times. That's got to change, and change in a hurry.
Speaker 4: Got to start making some contact. One guy who's been making a lot of contact. Of course, we talk about him every night, and he's always got something going on. That's Shoe Ootani. Last night is twenty eighth stolen base. He extends his single season best and hitting three eleven to start action tonight. But he's got thirty two home runs twenty eight steals before August. Today is the last day of July. The calendar flips tomorrow. Only one other player in Major League history has ever had thirty two home runs and twenty eight or more steels before August Alex Rodriguez in nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 6: He had thirty two homers and thirty steals.
Speaker 5: He's done everything. He just sets the tone. We talked so many times about, well when he comes to bat, no one leaves their seat.
Speaker 6: But that's just part of it.
Speaker 5: I mean, you start to look at how he can change, really you over a complex of a ballgame. He gets down to the tight situation. Do you pitch to him? Do you pitch around him? One thing I'm noticing now, I think over the last to will on this road trip to begin with. In the four games the Astros did it. The Padres attempted to do it last night. Pitch him in tightly. They did not want him a chance to extend his arms, get some leverage.
Speaker 6: Hit the ball a long, long way.
Speaker 5: They're challenging him inside and then trying to sneak the fastball out away from him.
Speaker 6: The off speed pitch.
Speaker 5: He makes a whole lot of concessions Otani does, and if you make a mistake, he makes you pay dearly for it.
Speaker 4: You'll see some high velocity from Dylan Cees. In his last start, ceases fastball averaged over ninety eight miles per hours, so it should be a high octane delivery for Cease pitching for the first time after a no hitter Cease against Clayton Kershaw. It's the Padres and Dodgers second game of a two game series, and an important one for the Dodgers to win to get that division lead back up to six and a half games. With a loss, they would end up losing two games in the standings over this two game set, so big one tonight for the Dodgers here in San Diego.
Speaker 6: Tim all Right so.
Speaker 2: We cut you down to first pitch. Thank you, guys, Dodger fans, get your game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor. Sounds good, right now? What are your Shaky's Pizza Shakin and mojos at Shaky's dot Com.
Speaker 3: Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck. Well here from the manager, Dave Roberts. David Veas checks in.
Speaker 2: Of course he'll go one on one with Jack Felerty. We'll tip deeper to this pitching matchup. But up next you're o Tawi rewind and we'll visit with sports and at LA's Kisin Watson leading up to first pitch on this Wednesday night, Dodgers and Padres. Happy Curse Shaw Day, everybody. First pitch coming up at five forty. Thanks for being with us. From Tim Kates's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Networks.
Speaker 1: It's Lorongo Casino, Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck, y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Padres, Game two of this brief two game series. Clayton Kershaw on the Mount, first pitching Petco Park, coming up at five forty.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani ree why stretch by Walder.
Speaker 4: There goes Otani for second pitch outside for a ball throw down not in time and show Hey extends his stolen base number to twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Showe Aotani his twenty eighth stolen base of this season. Keep in mind he has the chance to get to thirty thirty before August. First night, he'd have to get to two more stolen bases tonight. He's already over thirty home runs, but two stolen bases tonight. Just keep in mind he'll be a thirty to thirty player with two months of the season still to go. Last night for four on base once with the walking out any three to eleven on this season. The Otani Rewind brought to you by eto ens Oyocha, Japan's number one green tea and the tea that show Heyotani loves and drinks available your local DISO stores, Amazon and etoin dot com.
Speaker 3: That's it O e N dot Com.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 2: Kirston now joins us from San Diego Dodgers looking for a split in his brief two game series last night, Matt, we'll put that behind us. That was a miserable ending for the Dodgers. But tonight's Dodgers padres Clayton Kershaw, Dylan sees what a matchup.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it really is, and you're right. Last night, even Dave Roberts said that was a tough loss. It's a heartbreaking loss, especially you have this rivalry considering just how you know, there's been three blown saves in the last couple of weeks that have looked like this in which there was a five a five run lead, So that's obviously a very tricky one. But looking to today, you get a whole new day, a new day to win a game, and also you get this matchup, Dylan sees, who's coming off of a no hitter. He was actually honored yesterday ahead of the game. And then you got Clayton Kershaw, the one and only one of the greatest of all time. He's someone who is coming off of his first start, of coming off of the il, his first start of the season, and looking just to build on that. When he spoke after the game after his last outing, he was saying that as much as the stuff felt good, there are still things that he wants to improve on. The hope for him. Today Dave Roberts was saying, it's about five innings eighty five pitches, so he's going to be allowed to go a little bit deeper. So we'll just see kind of what the efficiency looks like for him. But hopefully he can lead this team and set the tone and kind of get the off and the offense can get going early and pick up the win.
Speaker 1: Because it does.
Speaker 7: Feel like just how last night ended, today desk feel like a must win.
Speaker 2: For the Dodgers, a new game and a new face and the Dodger clubhouse today it's number zero.
Speaker 3: Jack Flaherty.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Jack Flaherty's here. I know everyone was excited yesterday with the big news, and you know, obviously the Dodgers we talked about how with the trade deadline, yes there were gonna be guys getting healthier internally, but also by adding some new faces this team, they wanted to get better. They did just that. So with Jack Flaherty, he's now going to be making his Dodger debut, getting the start on Saturday in Oakland against the A's.
Speaker 6: He actually was.
Speaker 7: Supposed to pitch two days ago, but he didn't and so he's said he's kind of feeling a little antsy. He wants to get back out there, and so by putting him online on Saturday, that'll be a really good thing for him. And just having this opportunity. He is from southern California and grew up in the valley and this has been a lifelong dream of his to play for the Dodgers. I mean, we've been seeing the baby photos which are actually so adorable of him and all his Dodger blue and things like that. So this has been a very exciting time. You know, you never know what's gonna happen with the trade deadline. He obviously he was hearing the rumors, but to know that it's real to see him in Dodger blue today, he said. When he spoke to his mom and his family, that's when edwardly became like, oh, this is happening.
Speaker 2: So pride to Burbank Jack Flaherty, even though he went to Harvard Westlake High School.
Speaker 6: Care suit.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it. We will check you with you after the games. Brought you by Cars for Kids. The easiest way to get rid of your own car. Donated today and that car could be picked up tomorrow. Donate it now, at Carsfourkids dot Org. That's Cars with a K still to come here. On Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper into this really good pitching matchup David Bass. We'll go on one on one with the Jack Flaherty up next, though, we'll get you an injury report and we'll hear from the manager.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts.
Speaker 2: That's next, leading you up to Dodgers and Padres first pitch at five forty. I'm Tim Katsi's Los Angeles Dodgers audio number.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers Hunt on your home for La Dodgers Faceball.
Speaker 2: Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Wednesday afternoon, as we can lead you out to first pitch Marongo Casino Resort and spot a grand slam for good times. Dodgers Padres first pitch coming up at a five forty.
Speaker 1: It's the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 2: Presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Chris Taylor on the iel, the left groin strain, mcguil Rojas on the il with the right forearm tightness. Mookie Bets on the IL at the fraction of left Tan Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the il strained rotator cuff, Walker Veeeler rehabbing, Michael Grove rehabbing, Bruce dark Gradol rehabbing, Ryan Brazier in O Caasey rehabbing, and Max Munsey. Sounds like he's at least turned the corner and is progressing with you oblique injury. All right, let's hop back down to Petgal Park and check in with the Dodger skipper.
Speaker 3: Any answer day questions for Dave?
Speaker 6: Dave? Can you just describe Dave? Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 3: The dugouts with Dave.
Speaker 8: Robbers It's a good one. I think that everyone loves a pitching matchup, and obviously See's coming off a no hitter, it'll be interesting to see, you know, No.
Speaker 5: One.
Speaker 8: He'll be up to pitch against US US as well. But for Clayton it's I think my hope is five and eighty eighty five something like that. We got him through four last time, so if we can get him through the fifth inning, that'd be great.
Speaker 9: With them.
Speaker 7: What you've been seeing from him kind of step wise, you feel like it's been what you've.
Speaker 3: Expected of it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think, like we talked about before and even his side session this past week, just the command is really good, the stuff, the spinning, the slider, the curveball, using the change up more which is which is good. So just really excited where Clayton's at and just feel like there's just a lot of room for him to build and build off of what he already has done.
Speaker 9: Jack Clarity said he would leave it up to you to announce when he's making his Dodger debut. Are you comfortable to do that right now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's going to start on Saturday, so we're excited. I know he's chomping at the bit. He hasn't pitched in a while, so it's just nice to get him here, get a side session in, meet the coaches, and kind of get his feet under him before he makes that first start for us.
Speaker 9: Is that still in the Copek bucket as well? He hasn't pitched in a while going back to Chicago. Would you like to get him in the game tonight?
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 8: I've already talked to Michael and he's going to get in there tonight. So I don't know what part of the game, but it's you know, five days off. It's that point where we just got to get him in a ball game.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dave Roberts down the doug al So Jack Flerity, who you'll hear from coming up in about twenty five minutes. We'll make his Dodgers debut on Saturday in Oakland. Down the Dugout. Brought to you by Service Titan. Dave Roberts, he's a Titan in his own right. He's got a plan before his team hits the field. You need one for your growing contracting business too. Let's Service Titan help you implement it. Learn more at Service Titan dot com. Well, we continue here on Dodgers on Deck. Well, check in with David Vesse gets an update on a Walker Buehler, Max Munsey, Mookie Betts and the teams in the National League have an edge on the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: We'll find out from Dave.
Speaker 2: It leads up to first pitch Dodgers and Padres from San Diego Tim Kass Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network game.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Tap on your home for the blue all season Low.
Speaker 2: Dodgers on Deck continues on this Wednesday afternoon Dodgers in San.
Speaker 3: Diego to take on the Padres.
Speaker 2: Clayton Kershaw Dylan sees the bitching match up the umpiring crew for today's game, brought to you by Fred Layer Insurance celebrating fifty years providing reliable and affordable car insurance for you and your family.
Speaker 1: Joining Tim cats On Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 9: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David Basse all.
Speaker 3: Right, DV.
Speaker 2: Last night was rocking at Petco Park, the largest crowd ever at that stadium. Seems like the Padres always get excited to face the Dodgers do teams in the NL West, rivals like the Padres, David have an edge on the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: Well, I asked Dave Roberts that just about an hour ago, Tim, because he had mentioned that he believes Manny Machado and Jackson Merrill were leaning into tendency by Blake Trinon, meaning Blake Trinan and the Dodgers game plan was very predictable, and I asked him whether or not he believes talented teams like the Padres and Diamondbacks, who the Dodgers have had losing records against this year, whether or not they are picking up on their tendencies of pitchers hitters, and he said absolutely. He believes that Dodger players and the coaches that are coming up with these game plans have to become a little more uncomfortable with going away with the same things they have done in the past, especially this season against teams like the Padres and Diamondbacks. And let's not, you know, rule out the possibility of the Dodgers seeing San Diego or Arizona in the postseason. So Dave Roberts acknowledged that these teams have closed the gap, not only as far as talent goes, but information. You know, the Dodgers were at the cutting edge of using a lot of data and analytics, and other teams have caught up, and he said they have the same information most teams do, and the Dodgers need to get a little uncomfortable and maybe go away from what they've done, especially against these teams that are very familiar with them.
Speaker 2: David has driven by Ford, there's one thing we like. It's choices, fine yours with the Ford F one fifty gas hybrid or all electric tough this mark can only be called F one fifty Walker Buehler, David, what's the update, what's the latest on.
Speaker 9: Him, Well, he did not pitch very well in his last start for Oklahoma City, so Dave Roberts said, then they want to see another one before they're going to commit to bringing him back in the rotation. So tomorrow Walker Buehler is expected to start for Oklahoma City and we'll see where it goes from there. But if you look at this Dodger rotation, it feels like it's a little bit more settled with the Dodgers getting back Tyler Glass. Now Clayton Kershaw was solid in his last start. River Ryan has been really good. So Walker Bueller needs to earn a spot in this rotation to come back.
Speaker 2: More injury updates, David, Max Munsey, Mookie Betts.
Speaker 3: What's going on with those two guys?
Speaker 9: Well, how about this Max Munsey? Uh, I guess Dave Roberts said, had a big turning point a couple of days ago where he had a chiropractic procedure to alieve tightness or discomfort in that rib cage area where he strained his oblique Because Dave also said in the last city Houston that the scans are coming up clean. There is no oblique injury anymore. And Max Monsey, he stopped short of saying this, but it's a pain tolerance issue. So hopefully whatever chiropractic adjustment he had will now allow him to take off and take the next step in his recovery. But I have said this before, Tim, Mookie Betts has a better chance of coming back before Max Munsey, and that says a lot considering Monsey has been out since May fifteenth then really has not put his rehab in overdrive ever since the scans came back clean, and the Dodgers need Max Munsey. He's got to feel that urgency as well. Mookie Betts is taking batting practice, which is a huge update, and should return to the Dodgers after simulated games the second week of August.
Speaker 3: Great stuff day, appreciate it. We'll check back in with you in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 2: David's gonna go one on one with Jack Flaherty that's coming up in fifteen minutes. Dodgers fans and a Hans you're listening and experienced by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listening to Dodger games in HD. It's crystal clear you can take it with you on the go, on your mobile device, in your car. It's all powered by LA Care Health Plan serving all Angelino's lacare dot org. Coming up next year on Dodgers on Deck, we'll get your Dodgers magical moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back in the day or all.
Speaker 2: Hersheizer did something pretty special in San Diego where we lived that moment when we come back, Dodgers Padres first pitch in five forty. I'm Tim Kaatesi's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Padres from San Diego, Game two of this brief two games series, Clayton Kershaw Dylan seized the pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: First pitch set for five forty.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 1: Who It's time for the Haffey Magical Moment. Bitch Magical Magical presented by Howby Hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: September twenty eighth, nineteen eighty eight. A young Oral Hersheiser on the mound taking on the Padres at then Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego. A consecutive Indian streak Herscheizer was working on. He was getting near Don Drysdale's record. The game would remain scoreless going to extra inning. Tomulas sorta said, at bulldog, get back out there, get that.
Speaker 3: Streak in the Lenni run at ten third.
Speaker 10: The key here in the tenth unbelievable to go ex games and give him a chance the one to two pitch fly ball to ride on a semi check swing. Benzamis the record all Hersheizer fifty nine consecutive innings scoreless, the all time records. What a great performance. Congratulations to them, what a great job and still a scoreless gang certen.
Speaker 2: Ted Leitner on the call oral Hersheiser broke one of the most unbreakable records in baseball that September ninth, nineteen eighty eight, passing Don Drysdale fifty nine consecutive scoreless innings. That is our Hofey Magical moment, brought to you by Hoffey hot Dogs, a SoCal treasure for over one hundred years. Vis at hoffeybrand dot com to find out where you can purchase Crave Delicious Haffe hot Dogs. While we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll check back you out. Rick Monday, as we are leading you up to first pitch Dodgers and Padres on this Wednesday night. I'm Tim Kays's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: Network is Morongo Casino, Dodgers On, Dodgers on deck y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers in San Diego.
Speaker 2: Looking to get back on track after a tough loss last night to the Padres, Clayton Kershaw, Dylan seeks to pitching matchup Dodgers fans. Start your future at a California community college. Financial aids available to help you with tuition, books, and sometimes even the rents.
Speaker 3: Time to take that next big step.
Speaker 2: Fall classes just a few weeks away from starting, and classes can fill up quickly, So en roll today and I can go to college dot com.
Speaker 1: And now joined by David Bassey, Here's LA Dodgers broadcasting and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 9: Rick, it's a new day in San Diego. Obviously a disappointing finish to last night's game, but the Dodgers have Clayton Kershaw on the mound, and I like the way he makes some of these players feel a little uncomfortable.
Speaker 6: On his start day, you know.
Speaker 5: And what I really like is when Kershaw had the bullpen session in Houston. I like the fact that we're seeing younger pitchers go down to the bullpen and watch. I mean, how the master has really come around what he does over and above everything else. On a daily basis, we see him early in the afternoon, whether it be on the road or certainly a Dodgers stead him a more opportunity to see him. One of the many reasons that he has been one of the elite pitchers in baseball if you look really old time in Dodger history, no question about it. Here's the work he puts in. Physically, he is at the top of the game. Then you add the mental part in his preparation. Yes, he's got the ability that's kind of given, but he works hard at that ability each and every day.
Speaker 9: How much do you believe Clayton Kershaw can give the Dodgers tonight.
Speaker 5: One thing that I know about and you know it and everybody else has watched him. As long as he has a breath in him, he will compete at the highest level that his body will allow him to compete for how long we don't know, But we know that he will never undersell himself or anyone else.
Speaker 9: I'm not going to say that players aren't focused or ready for each and every game, but there just seems to be over the years a little higher level of intensity and focus from players on days like today.
Speaker 5: And I think it's because they know that the guy that's on the mound who's going to be there tonight and not to sell anyone else short that takes that mount. Everyone is concentrated in what they're trying to do, but they understand full well the commitment that Clayton Kershaw has, the expectations that he has of himself, and then the expectations everyone has of themselves when he's on that mound too.
Speaker 6: They want to be accountable for it.
Speaker 9: I felt like he exceeded expectations in his first start. He was still throwing ninety one in that last inning that he pitched.
Speaker 5: I liked also that he had a couple of people move their feet, move their feet.
Speaker 6: We don't see that too much, we don't now.
Speaker 5: The rules have changed, no question about it, to protect players and try to keep them healthy and on the field. I understand that, respect that, but at the same time, you can't have guys go up there and basically swinging an entire garage door to pitch. You know, make them move inside.
Speaker 6: Here's the deal.
Speaker 5: How many times, in particular, I think the last couple of weeks uncomfortable bath for show, Heyo Tani moved the ball inside. We saw it again last night. That's what you have to do, work both sides of the plate by making someone move their feet. We're not talking about throwing a pitch where they have to duck out of the way, dive out of the waything else. We're talking about, Hey, look, you've got inside. There's less room margin for air inside. If you're trying to pitch to a hitter, then there is outside for outside corner. You've got the curvature of the earth for an inside corner. You've got the inside corner of the plate and the batters somewhere in between. There you can make it uncomfortable.
Speaker 9: And it felt like Manny Machado last night was very comfortable against glass.
Speaker 6: Do you think he was swinging hard and very comfortably.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly. And you know there are some hitters around baseball over the years. Did if you throw a fastball inside off the plate the very first at bat the very first pitch, they're done for not only that night, maybe for the rest of the series.
Speaker 9: There is a purpose to those pitches, right Rick, It feels like there has not been a lot of purpose by Dodger relievers late in the game. I would love to have seen Blake trying to make Manny Machado a little.
Speaker 5: Uncrospible sometimes, that old traditional moniker of effectively wild works in your benefit.
Speaker 9: Yeah, does, Kershaw, will be honest.
Speaker 6: I like you driving your car in a freeway.
Speaker 9: Well, no doubt, Rick, you got to keep everybody on their toes.
Speaker 6: Get out of here, all right.
Speaker 9: We'll check in with you and Tim Nevertt a little bit later. For now, we'll send it back to Burbank.
Speaker 3: All right, Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball's brought you by our friends at Speedy Cash, official sponsor of every LA weekend. Find out more it's Speedy caash dot com or stopping in LA Area Speedy Cash Store. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck. Well, time deeper into this really good pitching matchup tonight with Clayton Kershawn and mat looking for his first win here in twenty twenty four. Next though, we will hear from one of the newest Dodgers, Jack Flaherty, acquired yesterday in a trade from the Tigers, makes us first start on Saturday against the Oakland A's.
Speaker 3: We'll hear from.
Speaker 2: The Friday Burbank. Next, I'm Tim Kason. This is Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers on game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Padres from San Diego.
Speaker 3: Game two of this two games sent.
Speaker 2: Dodgers had the lead last night late give it up, Padres get the win, Dodgers to lead the division. Dodgers Baseball is presented by Chill Hospital LA. When you need the very best care for your child, one place to go the Best Children's Hospital LA. They're ranked number one in all of California for pediatric care. Find the right doctor and more information at c h LA dot org.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vast a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This this high and tight.
Speaker 9: Well, it's been a long time coming for the great one A to have another man in Dodger Blue and the one and only Harvard Westlake. Jack Flaherty is with the Dodgers. Finally, Jack number one. Just your thoughts and emotions putting on this uniform today.
Speaker 11: That's special.
Speaker 12: You know, growing up and obviously you know everybody now is a group Dodger fan. My mom's put the pictures out. We used to come to games and it's a special thing. I think anybody, anytime anybody gets to play for a team that they grew up watching is special. And I'm you know, I'm lucky enough to be here and be in the situation and I'm just looking forward to it.
Speaker 9: Did you ever believe that this could happen, that you and the Dodgers would find your way to pitch for them one day?
Speaker 12: You know, you like to hope, So you like to hope that you know, there's there's gonna be a chance, and there's going to be an opportunity for it to happen, and you know, for it to all come about, and the way that it did and the way that that that things happen. Sometimes you're just just thankful that you get the ability to do it.
Speaker 9: It's got to feel good that people are seeing the real Jack Flaherty this year, being healthy right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's it's nice to be healthy and nice go out and pitch the way that I know I'm capable of. Last year was a tough year in a long year, but it's it's been a good.
Speaker 11: You know, start to the year. But there's a lot love to do.
Speaker 9: How have you handled this? I mean, you're on your fourth team in the last year. Obviously you're wanted, but how have you handled all the travel and the changes as far as teammates, teams all that.
Speaker 11: I think this one's definitely a little different.
Speaker 12: Having done it a year ago, going to Baltimore and I didn't really know anybody over there. I've been lucky enough to have some relationships with some of the guys here and walking in feeling a little bit more familiar and and and knowing some guys and seeing some faces that that you know, you've you've rather known around the league or just have been able to, you know, be in contact with, and you know, some other guys who you know aren't you know here right now, but that I've I've gotten to know throughout the years.
Speaker 11: So it's it's a little bit different.
Speaker 12: And you just kind of walk in here and feel comfortable and uh, you know, you just you look forward to getting things going.
Speaker 9: Hey, you're reunacited with your guy Tommy Edmond too.
Speaker 12: That's that's crazy. Yeah, seeing him. I hadn't seen him in a while. Uh, you know, it's cool for him being down here. I know he's from from from around here, so it's really good to see him.
Speaker 11: And just, uh, you know, it's.
Speaker 12: Always special being with the guys that you've played with, the guys that you know, and just you know, having having those relationships.
Speaker 9: What can you share with us about Tommy Edmond? We know a lot about Jack Flaherty, but how do you believe he helps the team get to where they want to go.
Speaker 12: I think he's shown it in Saint Louis. He's he'll do anything to help the team win. The guy on a gold glove at second base, and uh, you know, then they kind of moved him around. He came up playing you know, he played right, he played third, he played a little bit a second when when Wong was hurt, and then uh, he just kind of.
Speaker 6: Did it all.
Speaker 12: And then you know, they moved him to short, they moved him to the center. Like he can play of your position. He can do it really really well, and he'll continue just gonna do whatever it takes to to kind of help the team win.
Speaker 11: And that's that's the kind of guy that you want.
Speaker 9: Jack Flaherty is back home wearing Dodger blue. When you were growing up a Dodger fan, who was your guy? Because I know you must have had a guy, you know, when.
Speaker 12: I was super young, Adrian Beltray was always fun to watch and I and I just told told, uh, Matt Kemptus last night. I said, I told him that he was like the guy that I loved watching. I was a little bit older and like you know, in high school, but he was uh when he was when he was here and in president and doing what he was doing, he was, uh, he was special on so much fun to watch and and roote four and like, you know, I was playing position at that time, and you know, want to be like kind of be like him and lay the game the way that he did. So those two guys felt tray when I was younger, and then you know, Matt kemps as I got a little bit older.
Speaker 9: So you're saying, Matt kemp reached out to you to welcome you to the Dotor.
Speaker 12: I reached out to him and let him know it was something that I don't tell people that a whole lot. And then second, you know, I got a chance to come here, I I I told him, I just said, now that I get a chance to wear it, and you know, let you know that you uh like you were the guy that was it was it was fun to watch and was uh it was special, special to see and I said, congrats and you know, just uh yeah, it was special.
Speaker 9: Also when you let your mom know that you were being traded to the Dodgers, what was her reaction.
Speaker 12: Uh, you know, she's mom, so she's uh, she got really excited. She gets she's emotional, so so she got emotional and just like I don't she know, she kind of didn't know if it was ever really gonna happen, and uh, you know, I think she was always she has hope for it. You want to always nice to to come home. It was always nice to come home and play in LA and have the family come out and everything. But I think it was a little different hearing, like, you know, being able to do it and coming up growing up watching you know, this team and getting the chance to do it, and then you know, same thing to my brother. He sent me a nice long message last night too, of just like he's like, I don't know if it was ever gonna happen, but he's like, I'm really happy I get to actually, you know, cheer for the Dodgers and like cheer for you and not get Yeah, nicely, heckled when I when I met games, cheering for me going against him.
Speaker 11: So he's he's looking forward to it too.
Speaker 9: All right, before I let you go, number one, you chose the jersey number zero? What's the meaning behind that?
Speaker 12: There's two There's two guys that I've always loved that play basketball that wear the number zero at I you know, one of them, you know, being Russell westbring me came out to l a well first off, this in this you coming organization like this, and you've got a lot of veteran guys, so a bunch of really good numbers are are taken, and you know, it's just like it's it's slim pickings with Danny was nice enough to let me take zero from him, but Russ worett. And then there's another guy out and uh, you know in Boston, and I know how I know how it is La.
Speaker 11: And Boston so I won't I won't say his name. He knows who he is. He's a friend of mine. He he he wears zero as well.
Speaker 12: So it was, uh, it was uh yeah, it was just just kind of felt like a fit.
Speaker 9: He's got Mamba mentality. And I know you do too.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know what, you just you go out there and uh and just pitch a little.
Speaker 11: Bit edge and trying to keep that going.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Dodgers need some edge. Jack Flerity brings it every time out. Thanks a lot for the time. Great to share you with the people on the streets of Ventura Boulevard right now listening, and great to have you back in Los Angeles and pitching for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 12: I'm excited. I'm really really excited. I uh, it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 9: Sure will Jack Flarity is a Dodger. It's official now, we'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 2: Bourbank Roots Jack Clarity. Can't wait to see him out there on the mound for the Dodgers. Dodgers Baseball's brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Barley, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast.
Speaker 3: When it's game day. It's group day at.
Speaker 2: Shaky's dot Com. We lead you up to first pitch Dodgers and Padres. I'm naxtell time deeper of this pitching match. Don't go anywhere. I'm Tim Kasis, Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on your home for the blue all.
Speaker 2: Season long Dodgers Padres Game two of this brief two game series Refecto Park.
Speaker 3: First pitch coming up at five forty.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dinack, we look at the pitching.
Speaker 2: Matchup presented by your Southern California Toyota Dealers. Turn your trail dominating off roading dreams into a reality and an all new twenty twenty four Tacoma. See your Toyota dealer today. They make it easy. Dylan Sees on the Mountain to ten and eight with a three p fifty ERA twenty eight year old right hander making his twenty third start. Last start was pretty good, no hittery as the Washington Nationals, just the second no hitter in Padres franchise history. Overall, he's been good six outings of six plus innings with one hit or fewer allowed. He interests Tonight's game with a career high twenty two consecutive scoreless inning streaks. It is his third career start against the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Zero to one with a one eighty e r RA.
Speaker 2: Clayton Kershaw making his second start since coming off the injured list after offseason shoulder surgery. Facing the Padres for a forty seventh time, He's twenty three to ten, including four complete games and one shoutout.
Speaker 3: Against him with a two twelve e r ray.
Speaker 2: Clayton Kershaw Dylan cees Dodgers Padres were fifteen minutes away from first pitch.
Speaker 3: Keys to the game. Our next, I'm Tim.
Speaker 2: Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deep on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Padres. Clayton Kershaw, Dylan sees the pitching matchup. Dodgers fans and hanshare listening and experienced by downloading the iheartradiof and listening to the games in HD. It's all powered by La Care Health Plan serving all Angelinos la care dot Org. First pitch tied back out to the booth Rick Monday, Tim never.
Speaker 4: Guys Tam thanks again. Clayton Kershaw gets to go for the second time. He got a no decision Thursday against San Francisco seventy two pitches in a two runs in four innings, and he is very, very familiar with the San Diego Pdres, including the postseason.
Speaker 6: This will be his.
Speaker 4: Forty ninth career start against the Pondres. Overall, he is twenty four and ten against them with a two point twenty two ERA.
Speaker 5: A couple of things Kershaw the last out in coming back his curveball was there. The slider, well, the slider was almost unhittable, and those are the two pitches. The velocity, well, it's down from what we saw Clayton Kershaw maybe ten years ago, no question about that. But he as he is able to really analyze hitters, what the strong point is in his swing, if there's a pitch that's effective or not. He has the slider going today and backed up with the curve ball. Could be a long night for the p Andres.
Speaker 4: Dodgers are going to have to deal with the slider of Dylan's. Over his last three games, opponents are one for forty two against it.
Speaker 5: And he throws the slider almost fifty percent of the time forty six to be exact, and for Dylan Seas, he is on a roll. Left handers have hit just one eighty eight. Right handers not much better, just one ninety four.
Speaker 4: Dodgers looking to split the series in the final game of those two games set Dodgers Padres coming up from Petgo Park in San Diego.
Speaker 2: Tim all right, Dodgers start the night five and a half games up on both the Padres and the Diamondbacks. Don't look now, but Arizona's won three in a row, seven of ten. They are hot, just like the Padres. With the Dodgers trying to fend both teams off tonight, head to head matchup against the Padres. Great pitching matchup next Dylan Seas, Clayton Kershaw Dodgers Padres. After the game, I'll be backed with all the postgame festivities as well, including Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: Enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Padres from San Diego is next on. Tim Kates has been Rogo Casino Dodgers on deck on the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 6: Do you know where