Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Mess Mornings with Me Jeff Grubb, your host from giant bomb dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you for tuning in.
Speaker 1: In this episode, we're going to be talking about Nintendo giving an insight into some of its future plans and why a recent big game won't come to switch to It's gonna be a big one because we have John Martin on the show.
Speaker 2: John, how are you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, Jeff. Happy, Happy New Year.
Speaker 1: How's it going too, Yeah, it's going all right so far.
Speaker 2: Busy.
Speaker 1: I've been trying to like get all the Christmas stuff put away. That was my entire weekend. You can see if people probably can't see on the thing, but I got you could see John, there's like, oh like ten bends over there Christmas stuff, well in various other things. I got to get those put away in a closet. It's a whole thing. I didn't finish the projects. So yeah, been busy, like every minute of the weekend. But when I wasn't, I would still sneak in some more secretory time. Like we've cracked the code on that one a little bit in terms of learning how the scoring system works, and now it's made the game even more difficult and less capable of like enabling me to think about anything else. So yeah, that's going to continue to probably be my twenty twenty six so far.
Speaker 2: How about you, You've been doing anything, playing anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I've been bouncing through a couple of things. I've kind of decided that for a number of other reasons, a number of reasons just in general, this is going to be a big backlog year for me. Currently on the horizon, there's some stuff I'm looking forward to, but I really just got to dig into my backlog this year. So this year has been all about finishing in the games that I should have beaten years ago, going into this new year and like you know, just getting ready for the future. Have a couple of games already under my belts. I beat Final Fantasy Tactics. That was like the big game of the holiday break for me. That game is fantastic, phenomenal. It was a game where I wanted to focus and just beat the story and then just grinding for job points, job stuff, making the teen pump work. Well, it's it was such a it was such a treat. But yeah, that's behind me now, looking for a couple of things. Control and BioShock one are very big ten polls. I got a hit earlier this year. Yeah, and then I'm also trying the Trails in the Sky remake. My friend has been telling me to get into these games for decades, that we're finally doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's your chance, now's the time, your backlog era.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, Well, twenty twenty six is not going to stop, so we should get on with things and explain ourselves. We're Giant Bomb, small team of video game dofasis. We're independent games media out here on our own, but we have you at our backs. With the Giant Bomb dot Com slash Join became premium members. You are the people that make this whole thing work. You enable us to do cool stuff. You enable us to do this show every day, and do the BombCast each week, and then do bigger stuff like go to New Jersey and record podcast in person, or go to big shows, or do travelogs and all this stuff. Because you became premium members and you support us. We don't have big corporate corporations behind us. That's all done, No more of that. It's just you and I and us together figuring this stuff out and we really appreciate everyone who's come through and made it happen so far, and if you want to join that, we would love it. In twenty twenty six, let's try to keep growing and keep making more stuff. All right, as far as this show goes, most weekdays, I, Jeff Grebb, will help you your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart.
Speaker 2: If you were watching live on Twitch welcome.
Speaker 1: You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSSV on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with Nintendo's president shares an update on the company's plans. This is from my Nintendo News, which writes an intro here before They kind of like have a small bulleted list of the ideas that they touched on. Nintendo's president Shuntaro for Akawa, has shared more information about the state of the company and its plans for a twenty twenty six and its plans for twenty twenty six in an interview with Japanese news site Kyoto Shimbun. There were a lot of points discussed, but one important thing is that the stock of the Nintendo switch To has now stabilized on a global scale, meaning that it should now be easy to go to a store and get a unit. Those hoping for more news about the upcoming Legends all the movie should being made aware that they're going to drip feed it. Let's get into these points bit by bit. Yes, the switch to supply has stabilized. Basically, it's good to go everywhere except for Japan, really, but if you want to walk into a store just about anywhere else and get one, you can do so.
Speaker 2: Which John, that's like, that's pretty quick.
Speaker 1: I think they kind of that was like a big priority for them, it seems like, and I think that's it's probably pretty smart that that is that was their focus.
Speaker 2: They succeeded there and it kind of made.
Speaker 1: This whole, this whole situation of launching the switch to a little bit less stressful than some of these other recent consoles, right, And I kind of appreciate that that's what they did, not that it's like some great favor They're giving me this opportunity to spend hundreds of dollars on their stuff. But all these companies have been doing that, and then a lot of times it was also and it's impossible to get so good, good fucking luck. So yeah, that was probably benefited them quite a bit, though, now that this thing just feels like, oh right, it's going to be there when people want to make impulse purchases, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely. I mean that was the biggest thing about the PS five and the Xbox Series X back in like twenty twenty, Like it was kind of a lottery to get it if you were not like paying attention to like stock alerts or like why are you sixty four on Twitter? Now Blue Sky, It was kind of just impossible. Switch to is considerably easier, in fact, like I feel like I'm more shocked that I don't see a switch to in stock at a. I guess best Buy is the place I've been going to for a couple of weeks now for a couple of projects. But yeah, like it is big. I don't know what it says to about the consistency of buying it, Like, are people forcing it to get into a position where they needed to be super well stocked in the future. It's it seems like we're in a really good place for Switch to. It seems like they're happy about it. But it's going to be interesting to see next moves, like what games are going to like entice people to get in the near future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they kind of do talk a little bit about that a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about this first one here, Nintendo aims to make switch to an accommodating, generous, and forgiving piece of hardware. A gentle lover is what I think they're describing here. Nintendo says taking this approach will help to realize first and third party dev ideas.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, I've never.
Speaker 1: Made a game, but you always hear, you always, you would always hear stories from developers over time about oh, this console was a nightmare to work with, or this one had its intricacies and things that required us to kind of get in there and figure things out. And then this other one over here was just so easy to work with. And so you notice a lot of games, a lot more games get made for that hardware. Sounds like Nintendo was mindful of that this time, and is you know, they made the hard they made the hardware, they made the development kit already, it sounds like they're not done. Sounds like they're like, we want to keep improving that, which I find also pretty encouraging.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, absolutely, Like even for granted, we haven't had the most amount of switch to ports yet, a lot of games are doing just custom switch one patches, but for the most part, like with a couple exceptions in like some heavier moments, most of the switch to games run really well. And I think it is that It's interesting because I feel like it is in the benefit of the switch to to be a more powerful switch because it just kind of did kind of put it on the right path. You kind of know how the ecosystem and how that way that the layouts and the UI works with that, it's kind of just a known quantity which is very different than typical Nintendo. But yeah, I mean, and as we're seeing more and more people get their hands on dev kits, like I know that was a big story that people didn't have dev kits. Now they might have devkates. It's going to be interesting to see, and I just am assuming that we're just going to get a wave of the switch to editions. I honestly think that's going to be a large chunk of the games that are pushed for this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'll talk about that here in a in a second. There's you know, kind of multiple things where they're talking about their plans for what sort of stuff they're going to have here.
Speaker 2: But first Nintendo says.
Speaker 1: There are people who pick up their first console when reaching a certain age, and Nintendo wants to make sure the switch to is accessible for them. You know, this is this, this has been the strategy, right to be the console. When a kid gets to a certain age and wants that sort of thing, what do they ask for? They ask for the Nintendo device. You know, it kind of seems like that's still the case. I imagine that their competition there is not Microsoft or even Sony. It is tablets and phones, right, and maybe some other devices, but maybe maybe the PC even a little bit, because kids will watch YouTubers and they be like, oh, they're planning on a PC.
Speaker 2: I want to do that as well.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's probably just mostly phones and tablets and that space hasn't changed too much and Nintendo still feels like a really safe place for adults who want it gets to for their children, parents who want to get stuff for their kids, where it's like, oh, I can feel comfortable that this is a safe place to send my children to go, you know, spend their time. Uh that you know, what can they even do there to grow that? I guess it goes back to having the right games, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's a big thing right now, is that I feel like on the whole when people are asking me because I'm at the age where people are starting to have kids. I'm at the age where my kid cousins are starting to get like old enough to be playing games that are a little bit more mature than something you would just find on an iPad. So a lot of cousins do ask me what's the best place for him? He likes this, this and this, and then just like what is where's the Mario? Where's this? All the Wars of the Pokemon It's always been that kind of recommendation, like switch to year one is kind of interesting because we didn't really have a traditional one of any of those Big three, like Legendsza with standing, but that's not like the uh, We're introducing a whole lot of new creatures and stuff. So it's funny because like I feel like in a weird away and Nintendo is now kind of like competing with themselves, like, how are you going to entice people to switch? Oh that that was non intended. How are you going to move people from Switch one to switch too? I think that's going to be the biggest message or what they need their twenty twenty six messaging to be. We have some good games that are only on switch to. We got to see more of those in some of those big heavy hitters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that it's the kind of thing where it's like, yeah, they'll they do seem to be thinking about a pipeline of bringing young people into their stuff. That's what like My Mario stuff is definitely about how effective that's actually going to be.
Speaker 2: And again My.
Speaker 1: Mario is a series of products for very young kids, toddlers and stuff. There's like blocks that are ambo supported all this weird stuff. Again, I don't I don't know how effective that that is actually going to be, but it does show Nintendo's thinking about that so that they can introduce Mario to them while they're young, and then they'll be ready to go for Mario. And then there's you know, there's that Mario movie coming later this year, right, that's later this year.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, I keep forgetting that.
Speaker 1: So it's like okay, and then yeah, and it's it's likely they'll probably have some Mario stuff to go alongside that, or make a big deal about all the Mario games.
Speaker 2: That are already here.
Speaker 1: But it really will come down to that next big Mario game and that will get the kids excited again. So how close is that, we don't know. But they do talk about some of these other things.
Speaker 2: Let's see here.
Speaker 1: The h they well, first they talk about the memory stuff, but we're gonna have a full story about that here in a moment.
Speaker 2: So let's see here.
Speaker 1: Nintendo will further enhance their software offerings from twenty twenty six onwards. I got to take that to mean that's the Nintendo switch to editions. That's that's got to be what that is talking about. There's a lot of like obvious candidates for that. Still, the Zeno Blade games come up every single time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the wildest one to me that's been That was like, one of the best things to have happened with the switch To is that Xeno Blade as a series, like got to a level where it is now not just like the guy from Smash like it is its own franchise, has its own consistent fan base. It's just those games run so poorly, especially in handheld mode, and there was even like I remember people talking about x having a sixty fps toggle. It's just they never unlocked that for switch To. So that's I assume that's going to tie in with maybe they announced a new big game. But yeah, that and Pickment are probably the two that I want the most personally. But yeah, we have no shortage of games that they can re release for ten to twenty dollars and people will pay for it.
Speaker 2: Chat.
Speaker 1: Did they officially announced that Pickment three Deluxe Nintendo switch To Edition?
Speaker 3: I think that's just like a rating spoort right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I've been mating to do the co op campaign with one of my friends who's never played a Pickman game, and that's always the one I go to just because it's gorgeous and fully co op. But I don't think it's officially yet.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So, like as you say, that's oh, yeah, like they they've not done like a switch to edition of Luigi's Mansion three, right, that feels like that could happen. Yeah, there's even like arms feels like that it might be a candidate for this sort of thing. So there's plenty of stuff they can go back to, and then they you know, could even work with some third party partners or whatever. The Hades won Nintendo switch to edition that sort of stuff, all right, and then yes, they do get to like the big stuff here. Frokawas said, Nintendo is developing popular series titles that many fans are waiting for, but also completely new software.
Speaker 2: The company that has made.
Speaker 1: Zelda and Mario for years will make Zelda and Mario again, but you know, also promising completely new software. Who knows what that means. That could they could be talking about some weird small thing or whatever. But yeah, they this is this is the big thing for them. They have to deliver on Mario and Zelda, and the big I mean, Smash Brothers is one that I'm sure they're thinking about. So this is them saying, hey, we know this and we're gonna get to it.
Speaker 2: But it has been a lot.
Speaker 1: Of switch to editions so far supporting their lineup that switch where it's like it feels like the balance is on updating older games versus switch to games. Twenty twenty six should be the year where we feel that balance shift, right. We can't go through all twenty twenty six where it's like, no, that's gonna happen next year.
Speaker 2: At least that's how I feel. What do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think. I mean a big chunk of my thought process is just how many ports there were in like the first real big year or like year twenty eighteen basically was like the year of we U ports and stuff. I'm expecting to see something similar to that. But it also is like compound with like there's so many game anniversaries that they might want to like make a big deal about it and finally re release ports we've been waiting for forever. But yeah, I think this is the year where they really need to show new things coming up. Like I was trying to prepare for for like a Fantasy critic, and I was really thinking that Splatoon Raiders is really the only big game that I can think of besides like a fire Rumbum, which already has like a date. Those are like the two big ones, and I feel like that can't be the only like big games for this year. We're gonna need to like actually separate the Switch one for the switch too, especially as there's going to be reasons why people might just straight up go for a Switch one due to price and availability versus the switch too. Yeah, I'm not really sure what to expect from Nintendo. Like I'm assuming we're going to get like that one huge game at the end of the year, and I don't think it's gonna be a fire embum And I don't think Splatoon Raiders effectively fits that billing, whether we hear it now or and halfway through the year. That's my biggest question. Is it going to be a very slow first half of the year and then it's just gonna go balls of the walls?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Mike always plaints that, like second year is often when we get the Smash game. I don't know if that happens the time around, but they're certainly noticing that. They're certainly talking about that Nintendo of like this is when we would normally have a Smash and that like reaches that specific audience, and we would like to do that again.
Speaker 2: So they probably are.
Speaker 1: They're formulating that plan whether or not that that I mean, it probably doesn't because it's going to require a lot of effort, and even if it's a deluxe version of the last game, they probably going to want to give it some time and really develop that stuff.
Speaker 2: So it's probably always off.
Speaker 1: And then beyond that, it's like, you know, what I imagine is, yeah, there's maybe something really big, and then the other games, the new software might be, oh, the follow up to a Ring Fit Adventure, Right, maybe it's a Ring Fit Adventure too, or maybe it's a new exercise fitness game. But they'll probably want to have something like that just because they have had such success with that multiple times now with We Fit and Ring Fit Adventure.
Speaker 2: And it's like, you know.
Speaker 1: Especially if you are in a situation where you're trying to continue to make these higher prices feel like they make sense, underling a big peripheral like the ring thing or something like that always helps with that helps them charge more.
Speaker 2: So they would love that.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's see here they talked about the RAM, but we'll talk about that in a bit. They also talked about like their movie strategy, their film strategy for a Kya wants to build excitement leading up to the Super Mario Galaxy movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, who wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Nintendo will share info regarding the legend of Zelda film, but we'll do so gradually. Nintendo's focus for movies, he keeps reiterating this. I'm starting to believe it to a certain extent, is not short term profits.
Speaker 2: But character exposure.
Speaker 1: I bet that's not like it's probably not that simple, but I do think they are treating as like the guiding light here is we just want to make sure that this continues to grow the profile of our characters and so that when we have our traditional products, people care more.
Speaker 2: That clearly worked.
Speaker 1: For the Mario movie, and I think that they feel like, Okay, this is something we can replicate over and over again, and as long as we continue to like build our strategy around that, we will probably be in some safe place where we are not like driving these characters into the ground with movies and TV shows so that they feel cheap and disposable.
Speaker 2: Is that something that you think they are achieving so far?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, Mario is the biggest example of that before the Mario movie, Like obviously everyone knew Mario Mario was always very big, but is not consistently making like the Macy six stick Thanksgiving Day Parade or something along those lines, Like when I go to like like I don't shop at Target that much anymore, but like when I go to Target and there's just a wall of like like Mario merch, Minecraft merch, like it being more of a presence than like some like Disney characters and stuff. They're definitely like reaching that market saturation. Like I feel like Mario has been on top of mind more than ever before. I think Zelda can very easily get to that point. It's in its biggest like growth period I think they've had since like the N sixty four. There hasn't been something that I feel like has gotten that bigger. And yeah, like when we get to the point where people know about Isabelle from Animal Crossing more than just like being a character from Animal Crossing, but being this mascot character, like being this analogous to some other big franchise character, Like like when people know about Isabelle in the way that people know Chewbacca, I think that's that's when they're gonna be happy, like Isabelle is there, Chewbacca, I think is what we're trying to get to the point.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, you've always said that, and I thought you were crazy, but I'm starting to believe finally. Uh yeah, Nintendo would like to establish a system to release more films beyond these Mario and Zeldagame movies, Like yeah, that that feels pretty obvious as well. Of course, I mean we've already the rumors long time for a Donkey Kong film. Yeah, it feels like that will probably happen. But I think they expand even beyond that. And it's like, yeah, i mean something probably happens with animal crossing, but maybe animal Crossing is this next thing. On the topic of creating anime for a Cowa said, if we can create works uniquely Nintendo, it'd be good in the future.
Speaker 2: So they're open to that as well.
Speaker 1: So it's like, yeah, I think they are continuing to move at Nintendo's pace into these things, but that that probably I don't know. There's the way of doing things of like Activision or a Marvel where it's like something worked. Let's I mean, there should be one of these every year, maybe sometimes there should be two or three of these things a year. And yeah, sometimes when I'm in the mood for that, that's great, But long term, like I burn out on these things. I think a lot of people burn out on these on these things kind of making them feel precious still does like feedback into that idea of making these characters make me care more about the characters and then make me care more about the games. Yeah, so I think the idea of an anime would be cool, but them not rushing into it doesn't surprise me, how about you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that takes time. I mean, when you're creating like a whole series, you're gonna want to like kind of intricately place characters who keep people invested for long periods of time. Like if they can achieve anything close to like what that Fallout show is doing for the fall Out series right now, like being able to create news stories in their world and just expand it a lot more, I think that'll be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean anime is interesting because I mean Zelda is being made by Sony. Sony pretty much owns the anime community or like the industry at this point, which is kind of nuts. But yeah, I mean, Animal Crossing is such a perfect lay up for like a Slice of Life and you can make like a splatoon like Kids Boy cartoon. Uh, definitely seems like things that could go in the right direction. But yeah, who are you gonna partner with? I feel like for the most part, Nintendo has always been very very picky and choosy on who they're gonna align themselves with. Who are who's not going to create a Bob Hoskins Mario movie? Like how are you? How are we going to avoid this like catasgraphic scenario? And I mean they've made an animal Crossing anime in the past, like and that's pretty good. So yeah, I think that's coming. It's just like what franchise are we ready to do the push of? And obviously they have to line up their dominoes, what games are coming, what outside content are they are they making? But yeah, I think we will see this.
Speaker 2: I think you're right.
Speaker 1: They're like they're like feeling it out coming up, like what is the strategy, Like how do we maximize every decision that we make? And it's like it's it's a learning process probably where they and they want where they don't want to make any mistake, So it's like, let's just really think about this, do it one step at a time. Uh, let's uh, let's get this next story. Call of Duty on Nintendo switch to question mark. It could happen sooner than we thought, according to the latest Call of Duty HQ data mind. This is from frand Ruiz at Eurogamer. Call of Duty is coming to switch to that we know for sure, Key Xbox and Activision figures excuse me have underlined how important Nintendo's hardware is for the brand moving forward with their latest with their last comments on the matter happening last year following Black Ops seven's reveal. The more important question now is when that's actually happening. We've heard all sorts of rumblings over the past few months, with insiders and other industry figures pointing to a big release coming at some point in twenty twenty six. Now a data mine that was happening over on Twitter could point to it happening sooner rather than later. The account has a history of looking through Call of Duty files in the latest updates and share and shared this new finding on the eleventh of January. Several lines added with a recent Call of Duty HQ reference the Nintendo platform family and account type, along consoles and PC platforms, along with the platforms.
Speaker 2: That have already been in the game.
Speaker 1: So it's like, okay, does sound like they are laying the groundwork to make sure that all these systems can play together.
Speaker 2: They're just adding it in there.
Speaker 1: I mean to this, to you, does this sort of thing say, oh, we should be expecting this really soon?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's kind of what are we talking about when we're talking about Call of Duty? Like I can't imagine that they'll put the full launcher on there, because then you would have to backboard all of the games that are on there.
Speaker 2: But right, we're probably just talking about war Zone at first.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, because it's like that they already have a mobile version of that. You can easily upscale that, and I think it still has cross play with like all the other versions or is mobile its own thing? Might be its own thing, but yeah, gotcha, Okay, Like.
Speaker 1: But I mean it's on PS the game's on PS four, Yeah, and the end, like the switch to is already better than the PS four by by a pretty long shot, especially when you consider the fact that it's not coming off of a hard drive.
Speaker 2: You're not playing any games off hard drive, So yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I mean it's kind of interesting this happening right after Black Oup seven kind of like dropping the ball a little bit, not getting the amount of sales that they wanted. And it's kind of similar because this happened with Capcom, Like Capcom was all up on the switch to like hype Train when Monster Renter Wilds didn't really perform at past it's like initial launch. Yeah, to go back to Call of Duty. I think war Zone probably is the thing that's the most imminent, but like when are we doing that? Like have they figured out how to scale games to a switch to yet? Like it feels like it is still kind of early when we're still waiting on a million ports to this console. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yep. You know.
Speaker 1: Check continues to talk about the install sized problem and how that will be a real pass on the switch too, and like if we're talking about you know, just war Zone, maybe it's not as much of a problem. I bet it's still a pretty big problem. But if we're talking about war Zone and like a Black Ops seven port or something like that, then it's going to be enormous even with just those those two things, and it's like, oh, okay, yeah, two hundred gigabytes, one hundred gigabytes, even that takes up a huge section of well, the internal storage would be saturated for sure.
Speaker 2: But even if we're talking about like an.
Speaker 1: SD card, not everyone has one of those micro SD express cards because they have been expensive so far. It's the new generation of those, or the newer relative to what we had on the switch, and it's like, oh yeah, even then, I've only gotten recently, I purchased i should say, a five hundred gigabyte card that would be mostly just a call of duty machine. If I were to install that on the switch too, that's going to be a roadblock a little bit. I wonder if there's any effort to like really shrink the install size for the switch version, you would hope.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean that's just kind of a constant concern just in general right now. I feel like both on PC and on the console side of things, that has been a big talking point since I mean probably since the PS four, but like the PS five, I remember being very vocal just because like when you're inside all the all the time and you're playing games with friends. That was a big deal that it was taking up like the entire hard drive. And I think they have talked about that activision. I should say in the background that that is that is a priority, maybe finding a way to actually separate the installs. But with them wanting to push that launcher, it's like, I don't know how what the data is to create that, Like, I don't know that infrastructure there. It's hard to know. Good thing. Memory is easily too easy to come by these days, and you know, affordable when everyone has enough money to expand things at.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, ennemy mess there will be cleaned up instantly. I'm sure we will talk about all that here in a second. We're going to take a break real quick. When we come back, yeah, we're going to be talking about how long is that memory shortage really going to be? Where is there any end in sight? Any relief on the way? Well, probably not. We'll talk about that after this. If you want to skip out on these ad messages, you could do so by going to giant bomb dot com joint become a premium member. There's an ad free version of the video and audio shows. Get them there. We will be right back. It's Game Mess Mornings. We're back at it. Jeff Grub, John Martin. Let's continue here with the next headline, why memory shortages will continue for years. This is from WCCF Tech who's got like a whole conversation with Micron's VP of Marketing, Mobile and Client Business Unit blah blah blah, Christopher Moore. They asked him a ton of stuff and he kind of lays out like, look, we think we're still doing right by consumers, but we just can't ignore.
Speaker 2: The AI demand.
Speaker 1: And it's like, okay, well you did recently close crucial, but they're like their their argument continues to be like, well, we're talking to every PC vendor to make sure we can provide them with stuff directly and whatever, like they always have. Yeah, okay, that's that's we know what's happening there. We talked about a million times. The question is like, Okay, when can we expect relief in terms of of more supply of DDR d RAM storage here anytime soon and the like. Basically he goes here to say, you're right that we are. We're trying to come out with more supply, uh and that. But you're also right to point out that it's going to take a long time for that stuff to come on come online. He says, that takes a lot of time. We broke ground in Idaho in our ID one facility three years ago, and that's going to finally come online in mid twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: We pulled that it was the it was they said, they pushed that.
Speaker 1: Actually, so now it's to the end of twenty twenty seven or no, I'm sorry, that's flipped. They were gonna have it at the end of twenty twenty seven. They moved it up to mid twenty twenty seven to try to get things going faster. But you're not going to really see real output, meaningful output by the time we get all the qualification done and customers are accepting it and you get the tools and everything up and running until twenty twenty eight. So this is just like one of the hopeful things here of like maybe this can address things, you know. The other is AI demand falls through and then the supply is there. But it's like we've got to keep in mind the memory they're using for AI is different than the memory that has been used in GPUs, and of course then we ask like, well, why can't we get that other memory then for our stuff? Well, they just aren't investing in making enough of that stuff. And they're still pretty high demand on DRAM and stuff like that that we've been using up to this point, and so they're gonna have to fix the supply.
Speaker 2: But even that is.
Speaker 1: Not going to come until twenty twenty eight and so, and if things fall through with AI, things could get really worse for these companies. And they're not going to suddenly just be like, let's go fix all these things, because they're saying it takes years to addressed to address fixing or to building one of these fabrication facilities, we should probably expect we're going through another one of these periods. We've had a bunch of them over the last several like ten to fifteen years, of one reason or another that prices are high for computer components.
Speaker 2: And whether that is crypto Bros.
Speaker 1: Mining for bitcoin using GPUs, or whether it is the COVID pandemic causing a huge surge in demand for all these devices here it is. This is going to be another year's long point where we are looking around going, man, I wish I could buy this device, But it's just so expensive and we're just gonna have to live through it. I don't know what the alternative is here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for a long time, semiconductor was just a term that would just give me stress for hours on end, And now it seems like we're replacing that with memory. Yeah it is. It's not looking great, and I wish I could spin that with some hopeful optimism. But when even like internal companies, different departments can't get access to your own internally made memory storage, like that's not great. And even if like something happens to the AA bubble, I mean, like Web three took so so many years to just become like effectively a overall joke as opposed to us clowning on it for years, like the AI bubble, we have no idea where that's gonna go. I mean people are still fighting over that. I saw like there was a new Donald Mustard thing that was happening earlier. Today it's it's not great. And I mean, even if different types of memory are not used for different the same products, it's still going to affect everything because then like where is that output gonna be focusing on? You know, like where are we gonna have to focus the where are we gonna have to like first work on and develop memory for a particular audience. Are we gonna focus on phones? Are we gonna focus on TVs?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Where are we going with this thing? Like to the point of, like in the video bringing back the thirty seventy X T it's just or the thirty sixty GPU. We're kind of in the phase of like people are running on fumes right now as is, and when it's totally just like not an option to get that stuff anymore, it's going to be very scary. And I'm only now starting to see more and more people start to get that in the real world. I've been personally telling people, Hey, if you need to get an electronic advice jet it soon because yeah, I don't know yep, colass forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the panic buying is already set in, but that doesn't mean it's going to settle down, because that is going to eat up all the supply and there won't be any to replace it. Really, so when people continue to need stuff, it's just going to get worse and worse.
Speaker 2: So it's like, yeah, well people.
Speaker 1: Panic buying now, it probably still is time to move on anything that you absolutely are going to need for the next year or two.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, we just we don't know what's what's gonna happen to AI. It's it probably will have a correction at some point. It could have a crash, it could have a bubble burst. It also could just chug along.
Speaker 2: It really could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's this it's this black hole where they can keep making it deeper and deeper and deeper in terms of the amount of.
Speaker 2: Compute that it can use. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's it's really it's a huge, terrible bummer and uh uh we're gonna and like, like I said, if it does burst this bubble. Uh, these companies are a couple of them could like just collapse and they don't make memory at all anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's it's going to be a rough situation.
Speaker 1: Uh all right, Nintendo is monitoring, monitoring high ram prices and tariff impacts very closely.
Speaker 2: President Hinturo for A.
Speaker 1: Kawa says this is a from that story earlier, but kind of bring in his comments here.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: He says hardware profitability depends on factors like a component procure condition, cost reductions through mass production and the impact of exchange rates in tariffs, it's difficult to generalize. Fundamentally, we aim to address this by advancing component procurement over the medium to long term. He does say that like current cost increase like right now are not causing or not like having a big impact on their profitability.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then he also says like any talk of a price increase is some hypothetical that they they don't have any plans in this moment that could change fast, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think just the fact that the Mario Ka Bundle is kind of like done for right now. I think it is something that they need to weather the storm of this too, because they're trying to push this console to be their new flagship title, but it is more powerful and that requires more memory. So yeah, I can see the price increase coming for a long time. Like even I forget who said it after the tariff situation was going on, like the day of the switch presentation, but they said that the pre increase to or four hundred and fifty and five hundred is not taking the tariffs into account. Nintendo is not known to be a company that is going to take the brunt of that cost. It usually is on us consumers, whether it is either in terms of the hardware itself or if we do see accessories and other things raised, they're going to try to find a you know, raise the price, raise their profit margin in some way. Online account seems like another way you could easily do that. Like I've had the family plan with expansion past because I have eight people who all love to play on Nintendo. We love playing with each other. But it's currently eight dollars for a year or ten dollars for a year. I don't know how long that that is going to last, if like Microsoft and Sony are any metric, but yeah, it's it has been the worst possible time to release a new console, especially one that is going to follow up their biggest success story. A lot of it. I feel like a lot of their business plan has been just like taking into account, Hey, the switch is really doing wonders for us, We can actually afford to do these things and like move our move our characters into just the wide popular culture beyond gaming. And maybe that is why they are focusing on external media to kind of make ends meet. But yeah, this is this is one of the things I think we will probably see this year, I've been telling all my friends, Hey, if you want to switch to get it now, it's not going to stay at four to fifty five hundred for long.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's and it's like, yeah, you made a couple good point, like everything is going to get more expensive in this space and people the devices that you need, like a phone or laptop, those are gonna get more expensive. Like it going back to that last story, micround, the guy was saying, one of the things that's like frustrating for us is we have to build all these different units sizes.
Speaker 2: We have to have eight gigabytes.
Speaker 1: And twelve gigabytes and sixteen gigabyte modules and for.
Speaker 2: AI we don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: We could just have the big chunks and they link them all together and so then that's great for us. And so having to serve all this stuff that Apple once is kind of annoying. So okay, and it's like Apple's like one of your biggest customers, Like what about any of these other places. It's like if an Apple's annoying you with that, it's got to be across the board. So it's like, yeah, like these companies are probably that are making devices are probably going to have to like just put in larger RAM modules because those would be what are available, and that's going to necessarily push up the price.
Speaker 2: It's like the.
Speaker 1: More expensive phones and stuff like that will be the ones that they can afford to make, and that's.
Speaker 2: Going to be very frustrating, you know.
Speaker 1: And then you saw that story maybe over the weekend about the leaked Steam machine prices are that they probably weren't real, but I won't be surprised.
Speaker 2: If that is pretty close to what happens.
Speaker 1: The prices are like nine hundred and one thousand dollars something like that for the various models.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm hoping not that. That's something I was actually looking forward to this year. I only I built my PC last year, but having a like TV Central PC would be super cool for me. I would love that. I think the docking experience on the Steam deck is kind of rough, even though I did play a lot of like most of the residente Evil series like that on my TV. But this was going to be a really cool thing. And I have all this money on Steam, and yeah, nine hundred dollars is a big pill to swallow. I was really hoping around like seven point fifty would be the place for the bottom model. And yeah, I mean like there's also like the memory in there is like double the price for only like one hundred bucks more. I'm excited to see when that what happens with that. I'm very exciting to see any outdate from Valve. But yeah, it is. It's not looking great right now for any of the big hardware developers in this base or just tech in general.
Speaker 1: Why yep, yeah, yeah, And like I said, that price is probably not real. We don't know, but we but we'll see, we'll see. I bet it could be close, even though we don't think it was real. Nintendo is monitoring. That's the wrong story, let's see here. Next one is Final Fantasy seven remake director says younger employees state that Final Fantasy thirteen is their favorite.
Speaker 2: This is from my Nintendo News.
Speaker 1: Final Fantasy seven remake director in Aoki Hamaguchi has stated in a new interview that newcomers to Square Innix tell him that Final Fantasy thirteen is their favorite Final Fantasy game, and this is causing them to feel slightly old. Final Fantasy thirteen launched back in two thousand and nine for Xbox three.
Speaker 2: Sixty and PlayStation three.
Speaker 1: And was a big deal at the time, not just because this was the first Final Fantasy game launching on an Xbox console so recently because the company, this is a quote, has been growing and changing as new employees come in and the company just keeps going on. The younger folk who come in don't say Final Fantasy six anymore. They say, oh, yeah, Final Fantasy thirteen was my favorite. So I really do feel the passing of the ages. Look, I'm not a Final Fantasy guy, but my understanding, based on the reaction to chat here, is.
Speaker 2: This is one of those things.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh my god, this does feel like a weird thing that people could be saying, because it's like that was at the time a completely insane thing to say. But Final Fantasy thirteen constantly being reappraised does feel like we are coming up to a moment where, oh, they could bring back Final Fantasy thirteen in some way, and that would be welcome. I think it'd actually be very welcome from a lot of people.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Yeah, that's a game I actually do want to play. This year, when I got my PS three, my dad got me PS three, I got three D Dot Game Hero some other game, and then Final Fantasy thirteen because he knew I liked Final Fantasy and game maarts and stuff. So yeah, that was one of the first ones that I really sunk time into and then I never finished it. It's also funny now, well, because I remember Rebirth had one of those. One of the big things about Rebirth Final Fantasy seven Rebirth was that, like there was the yellow paint all over the place. And now it kind of makes sense because if the dev base is their favorite game is the one that's literally just a hallway for the first like fifteen hours of the game, it makes sense why, like, oh, I can't figure out like how to actually traverse this kind of funny there. I think thirteen is getting to the point where, yeah, people do have nostalgia, people are constantly reevaluating, and I think a lot of people forget that there were three games in the thirteen like series, so that that was the final Fantasy for an entire generation. Like we didn't get fifteen until like PS four, and like we were supposed to have so many games coming out of the Nebula Christalis bullshit. I don't I don't remember what it's called anymore. But like, yeah, for a lot of people growing up in the three sixty, in the PS three, this was really the only place to or Final Fantasy game that was accessible, like you had like Type zero and stuff, but like unless you were on PlayStation three as well, like you couldn't play the classic ones either. So it kind of does make sense why this is, but it's just really crazy coming back from the age where this was like the big hated Final Fantasy, where I feel like now things are constantly shifting. It's kind of like how Zelda, like your favorite Zelda is the first one you play, and then you just hate two Zelda's after that and then just constantly refresh.
Speaker 2: It does seem very good.
Speaker 1: I think one thing I would like to see here is it's it won't happen, but like Final Fantasy seven ever Crisis, the mobile one that kind of like retells the story with simpler visuals or whatever, so it could be on phone.
Speaker 2: I would like to see something like that.
Speaker 1: It just takes the whole thirteen trilogy and whatever other games and just puts it into one little package that I could play through.
Speaker 2: But they probably aren't going to do that. I don't know. At the very least they got it. They're not going to like give.
Speaker 1: This game the Final Thing Fantasy seven remake treatment, obviously, But even if they were to like remake those games, it's like, that's three games. That's a lot of stuff. They probably aren't even gonna do that. So it's like, I don't know, find some cost effective way to spruce up all three games. Put him out in one package. Maybe that could be cool. Who knows, modernize something in there, make it just feel slightly like edit the beginning of Final Fantasy thirteen so I never have to hear the phrase it gets good after thirty hours ever again, that would be that.
Speaker 2: Would be cool.
Speaker 1: All right, let's hit these last handful of stories pretty quick here. Boulders Game three won't be coming to switch to blare Maarno. Game spot basically explains that spinnvink in that Ama was asked about it, and he's just like, our relationship with Wizards of the Coast Slash Hasbro is such that this isn't gonna happen, and it's like, Okay, I guess, I guess we should have realized that that's where things are. But also, you know, they say they would like to do it at a certain point. Money talks right, because that game would do just fine on a switch to right.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I feel like the big telling point, if there is a chance, is whether that new Wizards of the Coast game comes to switch to like it definitely seems like it's not gonna be a Larian thing at this point. It is going to be like a Wizards of the Coast, like not in Houseport, but getting someone support that there, and that comes with all of all these sets of problems, and it'll be interesting to see if that does happen. I mean, I know Divinity Original Sin two just got updated to switch to along with I think like PS five and Xbox, but that's been very big on the E shop the last couple of weeks, so I think a ton of people would even just rebuy Balder's Gate three to play it handheld. But yeah, it seems like it was a timing thing for Balder'sgate or for Larian rather. I don't know the timeline of like when that relationship soured, but seems pretty clear we're not going to see that partnership anytime.
Speaker 1: In h And the last couple of things here, Dragon Quest nine has sold over nine million copies. So oh yeah, that that series just finds a way, and that especially that game, people really really have liked to go back, have enjoyed going back to that game over the years, and it's one of those ones that's been on sale a million times and has had a bunch of improvements reports. So yeah, not surprising to see that they talked about that as they're talking about Dragon Quest seven demo being out everywhere, the updated version of that, and that that carries forward your progress.
Speaker 2: That you make in the demo, so people should go check that out. A lot of people seem to.
Speaker 1: Be enjoying it, and then Anthem is shutting down today.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this is it. That's all it for for Anthem.
Speaker 1: My I can't get into my old Eaga account because it was tied to my old work email address, and I don't want to deal with support, so I'm just like I can't get it, so I'm not gonna be able.
Speaker 2: To play this.
Speaker 1: We were going to play this on the site, but no one, no one had a copy really anymore, and it's like, uh, you can't buy it right now.
Speaker 2: They won't won't let you buy it.
Speaker 1: I honestly, I think people are even saying, even if you did own it, people were struggling to download it through.
Speaker 2: The EA app on PC. So yeah, fun, but that'll be done for good today.
Speaker 1: I bet fan servers pop up, but you know that's for the real secos out there. All right, let's see here, we don't have a poll question because we had the Bomb twelve on Friday.
Speaker 2: Update.
Speaker 1: I updated the link on the Bomb twelve before the show. The games will be updated on the bomb excuse me, the Bomb twelve here pretty soon. But if you want to vote for this week's the Bomb twelve, you should be able to do that right now by going to giant bomb dot com. Just scroll down a little bit, a little bit, you'll see the Bomb twelve. You see a link there on the left. Find it there. Go ahead and let us know what your game is this week. Can't wait to find out? Can't wait to do the next Bomb twelve here in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: We do have a new poll question. We'll get to here in a second.
Speaker 1: Before we do that, though, John Martin, why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet, what you have going on and all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, as mentioned earlier. Yeah, you can follow me on at John Martin dot Bluesky dot social on there all the time posting stuff. This week, I'm not going to be streaming. I will be coming back and like working on my backlog if there's a whole series there, But gonna be away till next Wednesday, starting this week, and I'm going to Florida just with some friends and that should be a good time. But yeah, when I come back, a big streaming initiative to get backlog busters, which is a thing me and some friends are going to be doing. We're going to be podcasting about all the games in our backlog this year, so that's going to be pretty big. So make sure you follow for that. And yeah, I will say one one other shout out is seems for me, my game of the week will be big hops. Chuck's great reviews already on the site. I loved that reading that a lot, but.
Speaker 2: A four out of five. Everybody go read it right now. Though. It's He's got a lot of cool stuff to say about the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a customization and platformers. That's that's one of my newte Like that is just so good for me. I love the characterization in platform and games. We need more of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see here.
Speaker 1: I'm going to see if the Open Critic has the details on that. Yeah, it's had a seventy two on there, let's see six. Access gave it a seven out of ten. Big Ops is a good new three D platformer that will draw plenty of fans with its fundabilities and locations to explore.
Speaker 2: My playthrough was affected by.
Speaker 1: Bugs, which is something I've been hearing with patches coming to address some of these issues and the run up to launch, but there seems to be some teething issues that remain people yet a lot of these reviews talk about stability issues and things like that. Big Ops is a charming and scrappy and charming and scrappy and equal measure for all the issues I faced during my playthrough, some squash by patchwork and others more fundamental, It's ultimately one of the most charming, playful, exhilarating, and deeply fun adventures I've embarked on at some time. Yeah, it just sounds like it has some rough edges, but that movement system is so good and it just makes you feel so capable that I just can't help.
Speaker 2: But continue to love it.
Speaker 1: All right, We'll talk about that more on the BombCast tomorrow. Everybody, can you poll question, what is your childhood final Fantasy game? Is it Final Fantasy six? Is it Final Fantasy seven? Is it Final Fantasy thirteen? Is it other? I guess that can also be none. Just don't vote in it if it's none. But if you have to vote other, we'll get the results of that. Talk about it on Giant Bomb here tomorrow, well, Wednesday, excuse me, tomorrow's the BombCast. That's what's happening here on Giant Bomb for the rest of the week. We got the BombCast, we'll have Blake Club. I don't know if we're gonna be able to do Monday Mornings Miss with Mitch today because I have an appointment I have to run too, so Mike's not gonna be without me. We'll see if he wants to do something else, we'll let you all know. But yeah, it's gonna be a good week here. In the meantime, though, I think we might be all done. John Martin, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talk about video games.
Speaker 2: Man. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: It's always a pleasure, Jeff, I'm excited to ring in the new year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was great. Glad to get you back on the show. We'll do it again soon. Thank you all for watching and listening. Look, if you're upset about Monday Morning Smiths with mitche maybe I can move it to a later time today. It just depends on their schedule. I don't want to move these guys around. Look, we'll try to make it happen for you. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.