Speaker 1: It's good. Hello, Hi, are we on? Hey, everybody, welcome to Game this morning. Some me Jeff Grub, your host from Giant Bomb dot Com. I'm not feeling so hot, but I am feeling hot enough to do this show with you all, which is brought to you by MSI. It's gonna be a good one. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about Capcom remaking its other survival horror series, or maybe not, in a new showcase from one of Sega's most prolific studios. Like I said, gonna be a good one because we have Sean Turbo Sean McDowell on the show. Sean, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Jeff? I was hearing and I go up Until just then, I was really struggling to figure it out. But I no longer feel like I'm going crazy, So hiky okay?
Speaker 1: Is that that's like the worst feeling in the world where you can't figure out what tab is doing that, what program where it's coming from.
Speaker 2: I was so worried that the audience is gonna hear that, and no one will say anything in chats. I'm like, okay, cool. Nobody would have known if I just didn't say anything, but I was losing my mind. So I need everybody know that.
Speaker 1: We're a piece of stuff together over here right now. Jan's out. Sean offered to do this because my I was gonna do it. We would have been fine, but my upload was being crazy. I have no idea. I'm like, honestly, that's gonna bug me. The whole show is like, why is that happening? Because I did test everything this morning and it should have been fine.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but you know, fun one spectrum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think it's probably something spectrum for sure. All Right, Sean, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing pretty good, Jeff. If people have been following the saga, I am now finished with Ninja Guy and Rage Bound. Let me tell you it's a good video game.
Speaker 1: Good game, yep.
Speaker 2: I think I think still My only real gripe is the boss fights go on a bit long, but I'll say that, you know, I think it goes enjoyable time. I like the uh, the challenging action platforming. That was very fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It's like gonna be a good compliment actually to Shanoby, because I think Shnoby went a little bit more towards combat action and Ninja Gaiden had a little bit more platforming action. Yeah, people complain about the platform in Shnoby. I don't think I'm deep enough in there to know if I dislike it or not. I kind it is definitely a little stiff in its platforming, but I kind of feel like I can excuse that and kind of in my head call it, Oh, it's just deliberate. It just has a deliberate feel to it. I don't know, we'll see. I probably will get frustrated at some point and come back and complain about it, but that is it's definitely like the other thing that you do, apart from the amazing combat. So yeah, I went from Ninja God into Shanoby and enjoying that, although they have to, you know, deload Shanoby from my steam deck to get back on Expedition thirty three.
Speaker 2: Oh how's that going? I know you talked about on the podcast. But still it's going.
Speaker 1: Although, like I said, I kind of just got uploaded back up and then I went to the Paintress and then that I'm like, oh, I was not expecting it to Okay, this is happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I and then I had other things happening, So I'm like, okay, I should get back to that. I'm very excited to see what happens there. So yeah, just very good game that I continue to be super into. You know what, we're starting late, So let's explain what we do here. We're Giant Bomb. You can go to giant bomb dot com slash join. Help us out, help us make stuff, help us keep doing cool stuff, help us get out to stuff like SGFF and Game the Game Awards, do our own game awards, all that cool stuff. If you like it, you can, you know, make sure we can do more of it by supporting us. And the best way to do that is giant bomb dot com. Slash Join gets you AD free shows, gets you some other extra goodies. I keep like prepping some stuff that we're going to try to get out there for you guys on a some some premium only stuff. We'll get that all sort of at once. Jans back in the meantime, as far as this show goes, I Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart? You are watching live on Twitch Welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with Capcom apparently tried to remake Dino Crisis, but eventually candidate. This is from mine and Shadow News. Yeah, let's do this thing. Capcom fans have been asking for a new Dino Crisis game or alternatively alternatively remix for years now, and according to Capcom insider Dusk Gullum, they've attempted to do it, but the results led to it being canned. They say, lead it to it being canned. Here, that's one of my real pet peeves Sean, is people mixing up lead and lead. This case has got to be led, everybody, please, for the love of God. He went on to say that there have been a couple attempts in the last decade to remake Io Crisis. The first to do this was Capcom Vancouver, and obviously that ain't a thing no more before they were ultimately shut down. Capcom tried again just a couple of years ago, but the results weren't up to management satisfaction, so that was ultimately canned. Sean, I definitely heard about a Dino crisis where you make a couple of years ago and and then and then what happened That exo Primal game came out like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all we all assume that, Yeah, the Dino crisis rumblings turned into Exoprimal, but no, I guess it was separate projects. Huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like at the time, it was like, no, there's still separate projects. Okay, weird because Exoprimos got that the lady with the glove, she looks like she's from Dino crisis.
Speaker 2: That's what Regena is known for.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, what do you think happened here? Because I mean, to me, it's like, I still think this feels like an eventual no brainer. They're saying it wasn't up to snuff, wasn't good enough. I don't know, what do you think. They're just like, let's not disrupt the flow we have going with Resident Evil. Unless Dino Crisis was going to be perfect. What do you think happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what it has to be is that it was sort of a self fulfilling prophecy going on there where they apparently weren't giving it to one of their A teams necessarily because Capcom Vancouver that's who was doing Dead Rising, though right most recently, I should say, I can't remember what they did otherwise, but it sounds like, yeah, if they're not giving it to any of the main Resident Evil teams, then they were kind of hoping for someone else to spin up something successful, and it just wasn't happening. Because Dino Crisis, first of all, had a bit of an identity crisis. It started out a little more Resident Evil got a little more action, and so I think it never really selled into one specific thing. Resident Evil kind of had the same problem. It was just more successful in going to action. So maybe just whatever was coming out of there they just weren't happy with and didn't think, oh, this doesn't feel right for what we want. Even though they weren't internally the ones or you know, Capcom Vancouver still internal, but they weren't like you know, the main ARI team or anyone related being the ones to do it, which is weird.
Speaker 1: So to me that sounds like we get past a lot of these Resident Evil remakes and then Capcom looks around and tries to keep that train going, and then maybe Dinasis Crisis makes more sense at that point once it's not like, Okay, well we're not taking someone off of Resident Resident Evil. We've already remade all those So now the main Resident Evil remake teams can work on Dino Crisis and we trust them to do a good job with it. I mean, does that sound plausible still? Or am is that opium copium opium and.
Speaker 2: Or copium after and or Jeff yeah, I O donh't know this. It's a long line of we just talked about this well one or two weeks ago about wanting them to try more things and to really put effort into it on their part, and this reads to me as them not really wanting to do that, which is I just find a bit odd because you can't if you're not getting your best teams to work on something, at least for that initial entry to get out the door, how can you expect it to live up to the standards of any of your other big franchises, like for example, if they put out another fighting game but they contracted someone else to do it, well, you know, it's not necessarily going to live up to the standards of Street Fire six. And if that's what you're holding everything up to, well you're kind of setting yourself up for failure. Again. I know, like, apparently this was internal, but it was like the secondary teams per se.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very likely was. I mean, you know because a lot of these other Residents Evil projects, they're spoken for, and those almost certainly were not going to be put to the side for Dinal Crisis. And I think the troubling thing for Dinal Crisis is it's definitely a franchise that has cachet with people. People remember it to a certain degree. If you were around at that time, it's like, yeah, there was Reds and Evil but also Dino Crisis, and that's fun. But no one then goes and it was an amazing game without any flaws. It was. It's okay, and in some cases it's not great. It might be like in a Resident Evil three situation where maybe it needs a little bit more love and to get updated. So I bet like part of that is okay, we will need to rework this game in a lot of ways, and we kind of only trust the top tier studio to do that. In the top tier studio is too busy to get around to that right now. Yeah, we'll see, like a couple of years from now, I do imagine they will think about circling back to this, And I guess I'm glad they didn't put out some lackluster, you know, a cheap version of Dino Crisis just because they felt like they had had to. They definitely don't have to in this moment. I think we did talk about in a couple of years, they're going to have to keep kind of divers fining here a little bit, introduce something that could be another Pillar or a replacement for the resident Evil remix. Once they run out of those, you know, they probably shouldn't rush to like freak out about those you know oncoming needs to and then in that case put out a game that is not quality. So if it wasn't going to be good, probably the right choice not to follow through with it. But I don't think this is the last we've heard of Dyno Crisis, hopefully.
Speaker 2: Na. Yeah, because in the long run, they need to diversify a little bit. I know they are putting out you know, Pragmata, which I would always like to remind you, Jeff suck it that game is real. But also they're doing any Musha and Okami. They are bringing stuff back, They are pulling out new ones. But Capcom has kind of always done this. Even in their lower points, they were still pulling out you know, like in the Residu Evil six Days, they were still trying stuff with stuff like remember me, Yeah, and so they put out games. This is not new for them. It's just that it's game development is taking a lot longer, it's a lot harder. We're never going to get back to the nineties glory days of a new Capcom game every quarter or whoever a hell it was, but it would be nice to at least get back to more franchises having their chance to shine, especially some of the more beloved ones that haven't been around for a really long time.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, let's keep moving here. We'll stick with Capcom Resident Evil Requiem, maybe the most extreme in the series, says director. This is from Blair Marnell at Game Spot. Next year, Resident Evil Requiem will introduce players to Grace Ashcroft, the newest protagonist in the franchise, and the trailers shared so far, Grace has been way over her head in danger. That's how she enters the story, but she won't remain that way forever. According to director Koshi Naka Nishi, Grace's transformation from helpless to powerful may represent the most extreme gap in the franchise. We're at the testing phase now and to the element as we gear up to the February release, and even as we play it internally putting ourselves in the mindset of the players, I really feel that it's going to be an incredible roller coaster, Nakanishi told Eurogamer. They're going to feel like that curve of tension to release is going to be It's perhaps the most extreme gap between those two, those two axes, the points on that curve are going to be so far apart from each other that it's going to be incredible. So by extreme, what he's meaning in minionarios like we've seen the setup right a bunch of times. Now of Grace Ashcroft is helpless. It is running away from a monster that she can do nothing about. There is no way to fight back. Jan went hands on with it. He confirmed that that was the case, that yeah, he's like, you just try to survive, You just try to get away. There's no turning around, aiming, firing anything. Now, I think I thought it was safe to assume that there would be an other side to that, where like, this is Resident Evil today, They're not going to want to completely forsake the action side of things for their next new, big Resident Evil game, so they will find some way to incorporate that. I was under the assumption that they would bring back a familiar character and do it that way and be like, Okay, here's an alternative path, and will flash between these two characters. But maybe it does make more sense to be like, no, Grace Ashcroft becomes capable and learns how to use a gun and shoots these fuckers in the face. Does that sound good to you?
Speaker 2: Sounds good to me? I like that idea. Yeah, I don't like my man bringing up trigonometry when explain the game. Here at her arc put outside of that. Now, I think with Resident Evil, it is so often you know an agent cop, someone who is experienced with some kind of crisis situation, and it is more recently that we did see with Ethan in seven that he does start off as more of just the normal dude. It's actually his wife who's sort of involved in the typical Resident Evil stuff, So he's sort of thrust into this situation and he does become the Ethan Winters who, like you know, ends Resident Evil eight and he is just you know, using giant guns and like big old armaments and stuff like that. And so I think that's probably the type of story that they're gonna tell with Grace as well, maybe because they want to invoke even more fear. She does start off even more meek. We saw that from the trailer. She has a little skittish even as an adult, and she's gonna have to learn to fight in whatever situation she's in. I think that is appealing though. I think that it's a good arc for a character to have, especially in the residueval world. And maybe Grace will even be a different character of still not being a great fighter. May she'll have some external help or something, you know, Leon or Jill or someone will show up and help her out. But I do think it's gonna make for an interesting game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want it to be like Alien Sigourney Weaver all the way through Alien two Scorney Weaver where she's like in a mixed suit for sure. Yeah, destroying things that would be a lot of fun. Yeah. I think that I trust this studio with Resident Evil these days to really find the balance of stuff that is scary and then still be able to bring in all that action that the franchise is really crushed recently, well for a long time now. So and you know Resident Evil four being that the one that gets to get remade most recently, and it's selling very well. It's the best selling Resident Evil game now. I believe they recognize that, and they're like, we want to do both, and I think they can make a game that is big enough and can hold itself up to being both things without one feeling like the game pushed to the side and forgotten about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: All right, you know what, let's take a break when we come back. Plenty more headlines to get into we got to hear from MSI. First, you can go to GiantBomb dot com slash join to get the ad free version of the show. Let's go to the break right now. Jam my computer sick. I've decided it's time to start. Are building a new one. I just don't know where to start grub.
Speaker 3: If your computer is SICKI pooh, you gotta start with MSI, which just drops something big in its brand new Z eight ninety and B eight sixty Intel motherboards.
Speaker 1: Are those the motherboards that unlock the power of the Intel Core Ultra series two CPUs.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, These MOBOs, as we're calling them on the streets are powerhouses for gaming, streaming and whatever intense tasks you need to throw at them.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, but Jane, you know me, I'm scared of tools that's screwdrivers so sharp it's okay, bud.
Speaker 3: MSI made them jeffproof meb Dan proof as well, which means they're easy to work with. No more wrestling with tiny little screws or confusing manuals. We're talking easy dbug LEDs that tell you exactly what's going on toolless installs for your M two drives and jipoos or GPUs. We're calling them jipoos two now.
Speaker 1: Okay, hell yeah, oh okay, yeah, MSI that modern bios as well, that looks like it was actually made for humans to use, not some relic from two thousand and three. Give me more of.
Speaker 3: That, Yes, that's right. It's going to be so easy to get secure boots on the ground. It's like PC building on easymode grub. And here's the best part, giant BombCast listeners, MSI is giving you ten percent off these new regularly priced Z eight ninety and B eight sixty boards. Just head over to ushstore dot m SI dot com and use promo code BombCast at checkout boom instant savings.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm going to stack that discount. They allow you to do that with MSIs got ongoing promotions. That's potentially going to score me up to one hundred and twenty dollars in Steam codes. It's basically free games just for upgrading. Everyone listening should do the same. So if you're ready to upgrade your setup, do not wait.
Speaker 3: Visit us dashstore dot MSI dot com and use the code BombCast bom ca st all in lowercase and give your.
Speaker 1: PC the upgrade it deserves. MSI making PC building less of a headache and a lot more fun. Mobo good at this. Everybody, welcome back to the show. Are we muted? Oh no, not anymore?
Speaker 2: Just roll with it.
Speaker 1: I'll roll with it all. Thanks for getting into game mess boardings. I'm Jeff Grubb. That's Sean Turbo, Shan McDowell. Let's get back into the headlines here. With Unreal Engine five, performance issues are mainly due to devs not optimizing properly. That's according to Epic CEO Tim Sweeney. I'm sure it does not have any biases there. This is from Chris Scullion at VGC, the CEO of Epic Games, is suggested that some platforms, yeah, some platforms struggled to run Unreal Engined five games because developers aren't optimizing them properly. It's been suggested in recent areas that Unreal Engined fives demanding technical requirements can sometimes mean that running UE five games on less powerful hardware can result in poor performance and sluggish gameplay. Epic Games founder and CEO Tim Sweeney, who created Unreal Engine in the first place, says the reason for this isn't necessarily the fault of the engine itself, but the way developers are using it. In a media roundtable interview during the latest Unreal Fest event in Soul, South Korea, Sweeney was asked if Epic Games was doing anything to address claims of optimization issues with Unreal Engine five. Games, As reported by Korean website This is Game. Sweeney suggested that too many developers focus on making their games for the most powerful hardware, then try to optimize for less powerful systems at the end of the development process, causing issues. There's a quote here, excuse me. The primary reason why Unreal Engine five based games don't run smoothly on certain PCs or GPUs is the development process, Sweeney explained via machine translation. Many developers develop games for high end hardware, then perform optimization and testing on low respect devices in the final stages of development. Of course, optimization is by no means an easy task. It's a very challenging one. Ideally, optimization should be implemented early in development, before full scale content build begins. We are preparing two major solutions to address this issue. One is to strengthen Unreal Engine support. Optimization requires significant manual efforts, so we plan to provide automated optimization features for various devices, making the process faster and easier for developers. The others to strengthen development training. In addition to providing education on the overall testing and optimization process, it's crucial to raise awareness of the importance of early optimization. If necessary, our engineers can provide direct intervention to raise awareness of optimization techniques and provide technical assistance. He goes on, But of.
Speaker 2: Course he does.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course he does. Yeah. God, that's just not been the been the experience I've noticed. I feel like it's like, no, just every Unreal Engine five game has some technical issue on my fifty eighty. What are we talking about here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw someone in Twitch said just summed up perfectly. But it's like the goose chasing the dude meme of like, and why is UI five so hard to optimize? Sim Whose job is that? Tim?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And it's you know, Unreal Engine four. I remember that kind of launching around the time to Switch one was coming out, and the kind of the great news there was like, oh, it's super scalable Unreal Engine four, And we got some Unreal Engine four games right away on the Switch. Snake Pass was one, and they had you know, used dithering and all this stuff to really scale down the visuals, but the game ran fine. And then you know, it's just since then that was around the time Fortnite was happening, you could just see epic games being like, all right, we're going to pile in all of these features on top that we need for Fortnite, and we're gonna build Unreal Engine five for big open games. And it's like but big open games with a ton of shit in them. And I just it feels like it has never been as scalable as it was eight years ago now, and they just don't It doesn't feel like it's going in that direction at all. It feels like it continues to trend away from being scalable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think part of the problem is that they I mean, you know, I kind of just joked about there, but they aren't focusing on that scalability, on optimization. They're focused on pushing graphics and pushing the boundaries of stuff. But it does lead to things like, well, that means we're not getting six the fps console games as much anymore unless you have some higher tier console like the PS five Pro that can handle the extra like GPU headroom and everything like that that needs. And that sucks because they should be focused on this stuff, you know, like I know, the digital boundry guys Alex in particular, stutter struggle is real where up until just recently, Unreal Engine five was horrible about a shader compilation stutter, just like UI four before it, So you did have it on PC where there could be those massive gaps. And like, he's technically not wrong that devs aren't optimizing as much as they need to to have that finished product, but the points does still stand that UI five is difficult to optimize in that way. I'm not developer, I can't tell you exactly why that is, but you wouldn't have all these games having all the exact same issue to you know, varying levels if the engine wasn't just difficult to work with to get it to that optimization step. And if Epic is going to it's really just Tim rung his mouth. But if Epic is going to push that on the developers, well then it's on Epic to help out the developers and more of like the first party console situation where Sony and Microsoft Nintendo they'll have their internal devs work with external deves to get things running well on the platform, especially if it's a big new release. Epic needs to do something like that. If they're going to push that, I'm not trying the right word there, but the responsibility off onto the developers either that, or just make the engine easier to work with and more optimize out of the box. Maybe reprioritize what you're doing with the engine, because I do see the sentiment more and more and more that we've hit the point of mission in returns with graphics. I'm not sure how much we need to focus on pushing really advanced new tech, especially now we do have rate tracing that works well on PC that's trickling down to the consoles and everything, that maybe they should work on getting unreal engine to a better place first, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think that's going to be some of the frustrating aspects of this for developers reading this and like, Okay, now you're promising you're going to improve the testing and optimization process and you're going to improve education. So we're relying on you to do something. So we're going to keep working with your tools with the understanding that in a couple of years things should be a lot better, right, because you're acknowledging this and you're saying that you're going to try to improve things, and I just I don't believe it. I don't really think but that's the way it's going to work out. I think they will tend to lean back into new features, new graphical things. Scott, what was the this is an Nvidia thing, that RTX hair thing. It's like, yeah, yeah, that's where we continue to be. Where we're just adding a bunch of mostly useless features from these companies to make sure that people when they're choosing something, because I get what happens here. The reason a team or a company chooses a tool set is very different than the reason people like using it or not or don't like using it. So when they're picking it off the shelf, unreal Engine five looks are very compelling because it has all of the features you want to make, all of the cool things you want, and your optimization is something far down the road at that point, and then later when you're actually using it, it's like, Okay, we have all this stuff, but getting this thing to do what I want in a way that is optimized is super challenging, and we just didn't think about that. But now we're sunk costs. We can't switch. Now we've got to get this working. So and it's not like there are a lot of other options, although you know we have I've heard recently.
Speaker 2: There are, but yeah, not a ton.
Speaker 1: Not a ton. And we've heard recently who was it was, It was a ban Dynamico that said they were going to start making their own internal engine. Yeah, you know, they're going to use that probably for a lot of their anime games or whatever, so they kind of know what they need. The need over there, they've used Unreal and now they're making their own engines, so maybe we kind of swing back in that direction a little bit. And that's competition for Unreal pops up and they're like, oh no, now we really do have to address these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because like you know, late later in the statement, Tim does say, you know, like yeah, we can provide training to people, and like we are trying our best to optimize the engine everything. Maybe the point I'm getting at is that's too little, too late, because like we've had so many games of release in poor states because of issues with the engine itself, that hey, why wasn't this stuff here from the get go? And rather than focusing on you know, getting like, yes, you have situations like Fortnite being super well optimize. That's great that your money maker is super well optimized and everything of that. But yeah, like you just said, with Bandai Namco and our company saying we're kind of fed up with how difficult it can be to get this running. Well, we're just gonna figure something else out because at this point it's just not worth it. Maybe the way that revenue split works that's not worth it either, especially for the headaches that they're having. The engine is just not a great place in general, and they can try to make it better, but they either need to move a hell of a lot faster or figures on alse out because the situation just ain't working.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, I'm going to remain in a state of when I see a new especially open world game and I hear it's running on unroamch five, will I will be yes, I will WinCE and be skeptical and be like, yeah, we'll see all right. Moving ahead, Starfield getting a second story DLC and more. This is from Eddie McCoo at Game Spot, but is not finished supporting twenty twenty three space faring RPG. Starfield. Creative producer Tim Labs said in a new video that fans can look forward to many new updates to the game over time, including a steck, a second story DLC. I'm really excited for players to see what the team has been working on. We have some cool stuff coming, including free updates and features that go into that players have been asking for excuse me, as well as a new DLC story. I can't go into all the details just yet, but I will say part of the team has been focused on space gameplay to make the travels they're more rewarding. We're also adding some new or rewarding at all. We're also adding some new game systems and a few other smaller delights. Starfield's first story DLC, Shattered Space, released in September. It added well last September, it added a new planet along with more weapons and gear. There is no word on what the next story DLC might entail. Yeah, yeah, I don't know what to make a Starfield these days. A game that I thought was a really kind of meek three out of five at best, and and then not one I was going to be rushing back to unless I heard fantastic things about the story of DLC and Shatter Space. It was kind of all, ooh, that is also making me WinCE.
Speaker 2: On tens and stuff on that one I remember.
Speaker 1: So I've fully put Starfield to the side. Of I might. I'll probably never play that game again. If I want to go play some Bethza shit, I'll go back. And I want to play more Oblivion. That's great. That remakes been fantastic. I'll play that. So what do you think they can do here to get sort of some of the shine back on this product?
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of potentially too little, too late, I think we might have another one on our hands where people people don't like Starfield. I know it has this decade audience, but I mean broadly speaking, people clown on Starfield constantly, and I do think that maybe it's a bit overblown. I do think you're that meek three out of five that's a good way appointment, because yeah, I like my vibe check score of that game was like a six. I think it's a fine, okay video game. That's just not what people were expecting from Bethesda. Even if the game was going to be buggy, which we expected, this kind of wasn't fun because it was lacking so many things and they're sort of building the well, building the spaceship mid flight it was seen here and quite literally, Yeah, why was flying not a bigger part of this? That's kind of what people want to do in space, and there was some of that, but it was like in orbit. I don't know if they add in more of them, the DLC or anything, but these are the kind of things that really should have been there day one, and you look at the game and say to yourself, why did you not incorporate this initially? Did no QA people tell you that this is what people expect or did you just ignore them, which I think from stuff we maybe heard interrely at Bethesda is probably more likely the case, right, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they fully were aware of the game that they made and the game that they didn't make, and they were like, we just every day we work on this game as our primary project is another day that Elder Scroll six takes forever to come out. We got to get this thing out at some point. I still don't expect Starfield to have a No Man's Sky arc here where Fullthy comes back and people are like, oh my god, look at all these updates.
Speaker 2: That would be sick if it did.
Speaker 1: But No Man Sky's still doing that. They just got an update apparently where you can have multiple people on a spaceship and kind of like crew it together. I'm like that sounds awesome.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll check that out Starfield. Uh yeah, I mean make it makes the underlying foundational improvements, and I will probably glance in its direction. But that is too little, too late. I think there was a time where I would have been much more likely to be okay, when I land on a planet, can you make something interesting? Or if there is something industry on the planet, I would land right next to it. Why am I always land five minutes five minute walk? Oh wait? Why the walk is in fun? The walk is nothing. There's just nothing to it. It's crazy. So and like I get it if like okay, I landed at the interesting point and then I saw on my siteline another interesting thing, and then I walked to that, and that was a five minute walk where I have to fight some stuff. Maybe I could take that, But it just every time landing on a planet, five minute boring walk to a thing that probably also isn't very interesting. That those are like basic complaints about the game. We're talking about the second story dealc. We should be talking about like have you improved the over or have you exciting new features to introduce to this game? And I'm just not even interesting what they might be saying about that.
Speaker 2: We we've done the whole live service games getting a two thing, and everyone saw that failed. And I've been saying for so long that they are dumb. Don't put out a two, like an Overwatch two or whatever. Two point zero though, enough people know what that means now that you can put out two point oh, and it's clear, Okay, this is the same game. But that's like, even if you don't really know, you're like, oh, that's a code thing. That's like, oh, that's a big update or whatever. I see that on my iPhone or whatever. I know what that means. And that's what Starfield needs. Starfield needs the big two point oh, like it's or whatever version number it would be just called two point oh, but just that big update that fixes everything. Lean into it in the marketing, say hey, we fixed everything. We know that things were messy, but guess what all that stuff you want it's here now. You're right, we don't need to worry about more story delcy, especially if it didn't go so well the first time round. I know it was probably already in development, but pivot sometimes you know, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: You know, and that's I think I speaking for ourselves. We did mention that that audience of dedicated Starfield players probably this probably is for and if that, if that's what this game is going to be, that's also fine, right that you don't have everything has to be like fixed to my exact circumstances. But I feel like they probably wanted this game to be bigger. And I think that's what we're speaking to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just speaking off the kuff to how big can that audience really be? Up?
Speaker 1: I don't think it. I don't think it's very big. I don't think it's very Yeah, it's certainly not as big as they thought it was going to be for this game. So that's where this conversation that you and I are happy is coming from. Is we understand that they had bigger, you know, dollar signs in their rise of this gay this game at one point that has gone away. Are they still trying to recapture that or are they just giving this thing a graceful exit over time the hands date to kind of serve that audience that really likes it, the Greg Miller's of the world.
Speaker 2: I also immediately thought my friend who bought it and then put down our touchship, But then I had the light bull on my always a second. He bought it. That's why they're doing story DLC.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, exactly. They saw that happen. They did sell a lot of copies, it did.
Speaker 2: They did. But you know, fixing the game doesn't make money, It only loses My story delC will get you at least some money in the door.
Speaker 1: Crystal Dynamics announces another round of layoffs, says tomb Raider is unaffected. This is from Chris Scullying at VGC. Crystal Dynamics has announced that it has laid off more of its employees, the third such announcement in two years. The layoffs were confirmed in a statement posted on the studio's official LinkedIn page, but exact numbers were not provided. Today, we made the very difficult decision to part ways with a number of our talented colleagues as the result of evolving business conditions. This decision was not made lightly. It was necessary, however, to ensure the long term health of our studio and core creative priorities in the content continually shifting market. Blah blah blah. Same as always these messages here from these companies during layoffs. It always sounds exactly the same. Let's see, I'm gonna see we get any more details. I'm pretty sure they mentioned some numbers later on in the story. Crystal Dyamics previously confirmed in September twenty twenty three that had laid off a number of employees as part of internal restructuring efforts around. Another round of layoffs was announced in March this year, affecting a further seventeen employees. I bet this one's also around that size. This also feels like it is further a knock on effects from losing the deal to make Perfect Dark with the initiative Microsoft. Crystal Dynamics was involved in that that was canceled officially last month, and I wonder if they were like trying to figure out, like, can we get another project, can we do something else? Let's talk to Microsoft, maybe they need us for something else. And that's certain that does not seem to have happened. And so anyone who's not working on tomb Raider sounds like they were probably going to be affected by this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, what happened recently that really shook up Crystal Dynamics. G I wonder maybe, uh, yeah, fucked Microsoft yep.
Speaker 1: And this is a So Crystal Dynamics was at Embracer and then they got Are they at Amazon? Now?
Speaker 2: Well that's what that's the IP is over there.
Speaker 1: I don't definitely at Amazon. Yeah, but yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think the studio is owned by.
Speaker 1: Them, but they're not. They're not Embracer anymore, right or wait? Wait did they get Embraced from They got Embrystal from Square Enix. That's what happened.
Speaker 2: I thought that is the situation as it stands right now. I don't think that's changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I thought there was like some studios that got out of Embracer. There were, but maybe it wasn't Crystals.
Speaker 2: I unfortunately don't think they were on them.
Speaker 1: No. I think you're right. They're still stuck in there. They have the deal with Amazon for Tone Raider, and that is something that Amazon does still seem pretty hot to get done. And probably because there's a multimedia strategy. They're going to have probably movies, TV shows, animated stuff, and a game, and the games have done well so they can kind of that could be pretty predictable. Although you know, I bet morale is very low at Crystal Dynamics and that's not where I get that game done. You know this. I think we've talked about like what happened here, what led to this with Microsoft and all that stuff to death a little bit. But I mean, do you think does this say anything about the wider video game industry right now? To you?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Shit's bad, yo. I'm not sure what else to say about that one. Things are bad every where. I think the Triple A space is cooked. I can't think of it or a word to describe it right now. Things there's problems at every studio. We constantly see it with layoffs and everything. It is a lot of it Western studios and US studios in particular, because we don't have protections in place for employees. That also means that you see mass hirings followed by mass firings like a year or two later or as soon as the next project gets out the door. That's something that really needs to change in our culture over here with development, and it just gets more and more depressing every time we hear stuff like this happen.
Speaker 1: Ye to move to the next story. Xbox Cloud Gaming now works with lower game pass tiers. This is from Ben Lyons at Game Reactor Before we get into this as always, Microsoft and Xbox specifically is under the BDS boycott call because of they're making a lot of money off of supporting a genocide and a et the clean scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once again, fuck them.
Speaker 1: Fuck Microsoft. Xbox has is further blurring the lines between its console and PC offering. A new update has been announced for game Pass one, which will make cloud streaming technology available for the lower tiers of game Pass, both Core and Standard, all while opening the doors to enable access to PC versions of games featured on game Pass regardless of platform of choice through cloud systems. Okay, Sean, just Xbox cloud gaming to me seems like it had Okay, I'm gonna say it seems like it has been a failure or it hasn't worked, you know. I talked to Matt Piscatel yesterday. He points out it is working in certain territories that are not the territory that I'm in. Brazil, and I think you mentioned maybe India. There was another one. It was South Korea, South Korea and Brazil. Yes, place is a good internet and also a strong gaming scene, and also probably a number of reasons, especially in Brazil, where it'd be difficult to get some of these games running on whatever hardware you have, because they have their own tariffs in Brazil, which is one of the reasons why they had like the Genesis for twenty five years or whatever it was. Yeah, so, yeah, okay, it does work in some places. I just every time I think about using Xbox cloud gaming, my skin crawls because it's such.
Speaker 2: A terrible experience. It's so bad.
Speaker 1: It's so bad starting up a game takes three minutes to five minutes. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Oh that's true too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a frustrat and then it's like the image quality is not great. It's pretty bad actually, in latency whatever. That's the known problem that everyone you know always worries about. That one's not as much of a problem as much as just everything else around. It is frustrating and not fun. Yeah. Do you think this moves the needle? I guess. Do you think anyone on lower game past years is interested in Xbox cloud gaming.
Speaker 2: I think people who are already subscribed will try it. But I think I think the perception, even the casual audience of cloud gaming is not good right now, because they do hear from other people from news outlets and stuff that. Yeah, Xbox's cloud stuff, it's not great, Like there's other better options that are maybe even more technical, but you do see Nvidia pushing g Force now, which is a really good service. Like I don't think I've ever told this story before, Odd Air, but Jeff, when I was practicing for a tournament one time, I was just in some something weird happened where Guilty Gear was not installed on my PC and I had some downtime. I'm like, man, I want to like get some training mode in, but it's not installed. My air net was bad. Oh wait a second, it's on g Force. Now, let me fire this up, and no joke. In something even as like you know, strives a little bit slower, but even as fast pace as Guilty Gear, it felt like offline. For a second, I forgot that I was playing a streaming game. That's how like low Lane cy it was. And the image quality was good and everything like that. That's what streaming needs to be. And from everything I've heard from people, if you're close to whatever data centers Microsoft is using for stuff, it can be good. I have just never had that experience at home when I'm traveling wired Wi Fi console browser it does not matter. I just always have a back experience with that. I think that is trickling down a little bit where people are not as interested at least as they maybe could be about attack like this, and so I think that's maybe why we're seeing them push it to the lower tiers is because they want more people trying it. They want to try to get more people on board, and hopefully enough people who don't notice the same things we will will stay subscribed because they do like the convenience of it. I think one day this may be the future of gaming. I just think at least with the console solutions with both Xbox and PlayStation, we are still so far away from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is at least something that they can activate as this is something that does bring in some money as part of Xbox Game Pass. People are paying for that, but they get this as part of that. We can justify it. We could put it in the budget sheet for when we build new data centers. Oh sure, it's like some money's coming in because of these data centers, because of Xbox get cloud gaming, and people probably aren't using it to that degree to actually justify that, but it probably helps them make it make sense a little bit internally beyond that, though, I don't know. I'm not gonna be using Xbox Cloud Gaming anytime soon. None of this does anything for me. I don't hear people clamoring for this either. People are happy to just use their the boxes that they have, and if they don't have one of these boxes, they are not gonna say themselves, I'm gonna get game Pass so I can use the cloud version and play on a different device. They'll just find some other method of playing whatever game, or they just won't play the games that are available on game Pass.
Speaker 2: So right, they're try to capture like the mobile audience and the extensions of it, and I think that audience is still just gonna play games natively on their phones, like cause even you get stuff like the mijoio games, and now Fortnite is back everywhere and people are getting play stuff like that on their phones. I don't think you're going to capture that audience. So it still mays be seen exactly who Xbox Cloud Gaming is for.
Speaker 1: I suppose, all right, last handful of stories here rgg sum At twenty twenty five, set for September twenty twenty four. This is from sal Ramano at Gamatsu publisher Sega and developer Riyoga Go Toku Studio will host RGG sum At twenty twenty five on September twenty fourth at twelve pm Japanese summertime. I believe that is the companies announced. The broadcast will feature the latest information from Yakiza Like a Dragon, the Yakiza slash Like a Dragon series that developer RGG is known for, and RGG Direct will follow directly after RGG summ At twenty twenty five with a deeper dive into the announcements, So that might be like where they sit down with the developers and conversate about it. RGG sum At twenty twenty four featured the announcements Like Like a Dragon, Pirate Yakuza in Hawaii. This year's edition will likely feature updates on Stranger Than Heaven and possibly the new Virtua Fighter project. Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if there also is something with Like a Dragon, just maybe another spinoff announced. It might be too soon for one to come out, but uh yeah, this is a studio that makes a lot of games very quickly, and I want updates on the stuff like Virtual Fighter for sure. And it feels like this might be where we get it. What do you think?
Speaker 2: I don't think we do well because they very I was checking dates here, they very explicitly said more news at Tokyo Game Show, which starts the following day.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: So I think this is probably going to be Yeah, I saw some people have heart palpitation as in chat. No. I think this is going to be focused on like their third person action games like yeah, because and Heaven.
Speaker 1: Straight, and I'll take more on that. That game looks fantastic.
Speaker 2: That was very fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the Project Century game. That was its co name, right.
Speaker 2: It just got renamed. Yeah, and yeah, just whatever they're doing there with maybe it's a dude who's immortal or something like that, they're clearly they're clearly cluing us in. That's so one thing is different about this. And I think that looks very cool. And I think, yeah, the sum is going to be to talk about those games. And we hear about Virtue a Fighter and its own thing during TGS at some point, which I'll take that fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that. Yeah, I'm stranger than have it. I do hope it is like that. Hey, we are telling a story about a city over one hundred years, and we have this character that can jump through all these different things, so you can see how things are affected. I always like that concept of the real character is the setting and how it changes, and the only way is if we have a long timeline. That sounds like a cool concept to me. It seems like that's what they're going for, but who knows. We'll see what they're able to pull off. Here Saber Chief teases Warhammer forty K space Marine three. This is from Alex Hopley at Game Reactor earlier this year, just months after the rip royin success of Warhammer forty K Space Marine two, Saber Interactive and Focus Entertainment announced they were excuse me, working on a sequel, Warhammer forty K Space Marine three, likely years away still, but Saber Chief creative officer Tim Willitts has teased some amazing ideas for the game coming from the Games Workshop. Speaking with IGN, Willets wanted to remain tight lipped about the project, but did eventually give some teas regarding Space Marine three. We're working with Games Workshop. They're the best ever and there's such a rich universe that we're pulling stuff from and they're giving us some ideas that are amazing. They have given us some really cool ideas. Their brands are just like wow, So lots of super great ideas for games workshop. Admittedly, not a lot to go on there, but it's good to know there's a strong collaboration between the developers and IP owners. Yeah. I had this story higher before I read it, and I was like, Okay, it's just kind of reminding everyone that they're making this. But yeah, I always go back to a saber. They're making a lot of stuff. They are also making this game on top of Toxic Commander and the Jurassic Park and Turok and Roade Kings and what is the docking there's a whole there's just a whole bunch of cology. Yeah, that's that can't escape it can't escape it. No, And I'm actually the idea of running like a long short shortsman's docking area where it's like we got to have these giants getting these giant things off of ships like that. Who knows, it could be every kind of doc I'm not wanting to judge. I Hey, I want to I want to see what they're going to do with Space Marine three because Space Marine two was shockingly good. It was a really good time to play that game, especially in co op, but it held up in single player as well. And I just think that this is a studio that should be set free to continue down this this sort of momentum that they have of delivering cool games and that are not the biggest games in the world, but have all have a certain level of quality to them, and I want to see it.
Speaker 2: I was always very scared there. I was like, oh no, a Space Marine two this year as well done later last year.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, So as part of this, I think they are going to have a little bit of an update to Space Marine two early next month because that will be the one year anniversary of the game, So talk of that as well. Finally, Nintendo to add Kirby in the Forgotten Land plus Star Star Crossed World's sounds to Alarmo. Everyone's craving that alarmo news. Here it is, everybody, from my Nintendo News. Nintendo's adorable alarm clock. Alarmo will soon get themes from Kirby and the Forgotten Lamb plus Star Crossed World. A recent update from Nintendo states that seven different alarms will be added to Alarmo in the near future, along with themes from Star Cross World. The Kyoto based company says it will share more more info on this in the future. There's a quote there basically just says all that same stuff. Yeah, I'll take this, Although where's my bonanza alarms? I want to wake up to Zebra so bad. Give me that. What's going on here?
Speaker 2: Okay? Okay? What's the best Kong bonanza song? Do you still think Zebra?
Speaker 1: I mean, Zebra's the one that's in my head most frequently. I like them all. Well, do you have a different one? Do you have a favorite one? Now?
Speaker 2: I just like the Kong one the best. When she hits the chorus like it gets me every time man, especially towards the end there when you're doing the rehearsals and everything.
Speaker 1: I love that one as well, for sure. But the Zebra it's just like, oh I can't help but dance. Oh my god, this is It's in my soul, it's in the bones.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You mentioned people looking for Alarmo news. No one's looking for Alarmo news, Jeff. Now, it's just you. It's you sick. I know the three Alarmo fans, and they all were for this website.
Speaker 1: That's all right, I was said here last night. I'm like, man, there's should be Donkey Kung Banan's on here. I'll take Star Cross Worlds though as well. I need to download that game. All right. That does it for the headlines. Let's get to the poll question, which I have over here. I did see that this got added, thankfully, Yes, posted that.
Speaker 2: I did remember to post it for once when I was in charge of it. Yes, I know.
Speaker 1: Last night I was like, you know, that's not Sean's job. I'll go double check. And then I saw that you wrote this and you did the best version of this question? Are you going to get Kirby Trademark and the Forgotten Land Dash Nintendo Switch Trademark two Edition plus Star Cross World and or the Kirby Trademark and the Forgotten Land Dash Nintendo Switch Trademark to Edition plus Starcross World Upgrade pack. Yes, and your options are yes or no. Thirty nine percent said yes, sixty one percent said no. I'm I'm picking this up right now. Since we're done here, I'm gonna go buy this thing and get it on my system. Yeah. I love Forgotten Land, and I am forward to playing more of it. So yeah, you're anticipating this, you're looking forward to it. It's out now, though, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm going to wait for a sale because I bought this game as a physical copy and is back when I a litt less money, so I don't have that physical copy anymore. Oh yeah, I'll wait for a sale on the on the bundle full thing. Yes, yeah, even if I get for sixty because what it's eighty for the full thing because a twenty dollars upgrade and they're still charging sixty bucks track game because Nintendo. But even if I get for like sixty, I would be more okay with it by deally, Yeah, you know, more than like the forty to fifty rain since I've played the full game already. But yeah, I would like to have this game again, have a physical copy of it. That'd be cool. And yeah, I loved for gownd Land. I thought it was so much fun. I would love to see a sequel to that game, but I'll take the DLC for now.
Speaker 1: Yep, I want to see a sequel. I wouldn't mind nintend to also being like, hey, let's take some of these other characters maybe do a three d oshi in the same vein, but I'm not getting hopes up for that. I'll just take the Kirby and the Forgotten Land sequel.
Speaker 2: Take the Kirby and run.
Speaker 1: Yep, take the Kirby and run. That's what we say over here at Giant Bomb. We have a new poll question. We're going to get to here in a second. Before we do that, Sean, you want to tell people where they could find you on the internet, what you have going on, any of that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Running the shift all Jan's out for the rest of the week, so you know, if there's any hiccups. I'm doing my best to keep up. We have a new setup here, so I'm learning a lot, but I think I know everything I went wrong today at that fixed for tomorrow. GMM should go a little bit smoother, but otherwise, yep, you knowwhere else to find me, Turbo Shawn Shawn on all the places.
Speaker 1: We will be back with more tomorrow and on that episode will answer the we'll get the results of this poll question. Do you actively use any cloud gaming platform? Yes or no? Those are your options. Just want to see and you know that would include Guy Kai or ONLVE. It would also.
Speaker 2: Jef, I get so mad when Mike gives you shit because I was an online guy on Live Guy. I was an ONLVE online guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ONLVE worked just fine.
Speaker 2: It worked surprisingly well. I don't know how, considering how bad the consoles are. Back in twenty ten or eleven, I remember playing Arkham City on ONLVE and it actually just worked perfectly well. Maybe it's because I had a seven to twenty p laptop at the time, who can say, but it worked pretty well in that college dorm of mine.
Speaker 1: Yep, I I typicitely use some of that that's not around anymore though. So we're talking about your hand streams, your Nvidia g Force, NOWS, Xbox Cloud, gaming PlayStation whatever the fuck they call.
Speaker 2: It, PlayStation guy, because that's what they rolled it into they did.
Speaker 1: They bought Guy Kai, they bought some ONLVE patents as well, I think. So they're the spiritual successor to on Live now. So we'll get the results of that. Talk about it here on Game mess Mornings here on Giant Bomb tomorrow. Speaking of Giant Bomb, we will probably still do something with Kirby later today. I was going to drive over to Mike's house and play co Op Kirby with him. But now that I'm feeling a little sicky poo and I don't want to get him sick, I'm not going to do that, So we'll probably just play Star the Starcross World stuff. I want to just see some of that, so we'll do a GV plays of that later today. And then if you're wondering, hey, wait, what about Voicemail Dump Truck that's been moved to tomorrow? We move Voicemail Dump Truck to tomorrow, so that'll be happening. I think that'll be the last thing we're doing. Let me check the calendar. Yeah, so we're gonna do UPF tomorrow at one Eastern, and then we'll do Voicemail Dump Truck at three pm Eastern tomorrow, so bad Back Friday. There will also be a cool thing with luminous tomorrow up on the site, so look out for that. All right, let's see here. I think with all that out of the way, what I do now is say thank you Sean for helping me talk about video games and for producing the show. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I do, I can, Jeff, it's always fun time.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching and listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.