Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of September second, we are continuing with Lost. We watched season one, episode nine, Solitary, an episode that I feel could have the subhead sayee talks to difficult women the word does and also not for Nothing. For an episode titled solitary, they introduced a lot of new characters. They did where did all these people come from? There's a crazy French lady in the jungle. There's two dudes we've never seen before playing golf. It's uh, it's a party, it is.
Speaker 2: I definitely noticed that.
Speaker 1: Yes, now Russo, here we go again with the philosopher names. Yes, we're so, we will see again. And Ethan played by cousin of Tom Cruise William my pother. I'm not sure you say his name. We will see him again. Sullivan rash guy who turned out to be played by Scott Pollen, an actor I know but did not recognize until his names in the credit. He's a one episode wonder well I don't.
Speaker 2: I was like, sorry about Colin.
Speaker 1: Was in this show? Oh? And I looked it up and says one episode since he came in West one, I'm guessing he just fades back into the background. So he's off somewhere scratching his rash and uh, we never saw him again, but hi, Scott, he must have. Maybe he was just just uh, you know, vacationing in Hawaii and asked, hey, could you use it I walk on by, or he wanted a vacation to Hawaii and he said, hey, yeah, a walk on right, I'll wear glasses and complain about a rash.
Speaker 2: It'll be fine. I will try Jack's patience with my hypochondria. We got real problems here, but sorry, if you're itchy, get over.
Speaker 1: It did inspire a great you know when when Jack was telling Hurly things could be worse, and Hurley goes, how speaking for like all of us, Yeah, I had forgotten just what delightful comic relief jor Hae Garcia was providing from the very first moment of the show. Yeah, what a wonderful and essential character Hurly.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, no kidding. And he's the one who figured out how to make a golf course.
Speaker 1: See, it was actually funny together.
Speaker 2: Quite Yeah, it was really astute of him to determine, like, oh my gosh, we need to do something fun. All we're doing is like trying to survive out here and try not to get eaten by some kind of weird monster. And we should play a few rounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah'd be sweet if we had something to do, he says. So, yeah, what a what an You know, you wouldn't have thought of all the things you would think that they might come up with to do, right, Golf would not have been it, but there you go, though, also providing an opportunity for from a parenting point of view. Yeah, Michael, Michael, Michael, Michael Michael. First you lecture your kid what he can I cannot do. Then you leave them alone in caves. Then you say, oh, you can step in front of somebody else to take their turn at golf. It'll be fine. And then when it's your turn, you just leave him. What them is the matter with you?
Speaker 2: Michael?
Speaker 1: Come on, now, somebody get this man a parenting book. There's gotta be one somewhere.
Speaker 2: Somebody packed one in their luggage.
Speaker 1: We still had a child, maybe she's got a you know, maybe she's got something in her hovel there. Just just find this man a book or a podcast. Can you get our podcast in see if you can.
Speaker 2: We'd set up those antennas again to try to get.
Speaker 1: Some I just my husband and I both yelled at the screen when he did that. What is the matter with you?
Speaker 3: Stop that?
Speaker 1: He is still so wildly well not even out of practice because he never did it. He's just he's not getting it. He's got the here's what you can't do down But like, hey, son, I'd like to spend time with you here. Why don't you take this club and go take my turn? That party does not yet have. Hopefully he will not come to the same end as whatever happened to Russeau's child. But yeah, does not sound good, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Given what she claims happened to the rest of her Yes, gang, yikes.
Speaker 1: Yes, Danielle Rousseau giving us an example of what happens if you don't have a hurley to set up a golf course and break the tension just a little bit. Yeah again, I felt sits flashback was sort of wrote. I mean, it did contribute to what we were seeing. But okay, but.
Speaker 2: We probably could have figured it, you know, like it's already been established that he was part of the Iraqi whatever what was it called Republican card or something, which at the time we would know to be the bad guys. Yes, and you know he has this picture, Okay, there's some woman in his past, Like.
Speaker 1: True, that seems very crisp after having gone through a plane crash and a certain amount of time living on a beach. Yes, it still looks like you're taking it out of the folder of the photographer.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: I don't know that we needed to see her face that well, we were just going to see her in flashbacks. But okay, yeah, exactly kept it very safe.
Speaker 2: I think we could have made the connection.
Speaker 1: It could have been a little more tattered or smaller.
Speaker 2: Like it was just large, Like where was he keeping it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Where was he holding it that it didn't get at least a little bit dog eared?
Speaker 2: Right questions? No, that's.
Speaker 1: But it does also prove that he's he's a torturer, but a torturer with a conscience. No, he did torture Sawyer, but he felt bad about it later and left. You know, he did couldn't quite torture Naudiet, but he did other people. And it just he's like, well, it's not who he is.
Speaker 2: He killed a guy, so that yeah, she could try to help her get away.
Speaker 1: Yes, so what is it that we say here? Layers? He's got layers also looks very good sweating in an undershirt.
Speaker 2: And while being held in some kind of dugout had to.
Speaker 1: Make James a little stronger so he couldn't get away. I'm just saying, well, she was lonely, Yeah, I was. She might have some use for him other than fixing.
Speaker 2: Her music box.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, all right, fill in the dirty joke of your choice. But off he goes and she goes and uh more to be seen there, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's a big development, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, there is not only one other person on the island, but apparently lots of other dangerous people on the island that whisper the all right, and also monsters, polar bears, polar bears. Who was it somebody was the recipient of the line. You didn't hear about the polar bear.
Speaker 2: It might have been one of those two new guys, but.
Speaker 1: When you were off in an anonymous extra land, you didn't get this story.
Speaker 2: You didn't hear about this.
Speaker 1: Well, wonder that. I mean, I get the need for the golf course, and it was brilliant by Hurley, and it was for all these people who didn't have anything to do, to have something to do. So who is playing on it the people who have the most stuff to do? Why is Jack playing golf other than the fact that he's a doctor? Haha, sawyer. But still, isn't this for the hypochondriac whose anxiety is causing him to have a rash? Isn't this for all the other people who have nothing to do? Instead they're watching like the three busiest dudes play golf. Okay, fine, that's Michael. Wait a minute on that setting up the shower and fresh water thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you can play some golf and ignore your kid, right.
Speaker 1: Locke, however, is still out throwing knives around, so it's fine. He'll take care of Wault.
Speaker 2: He's usually game to be like, sure, Walt, you can hang out.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're not gonna be with your kid every minute, you know, there is a childcare option.
Speaker 2: Multiple, I mean, there's.
Speaker 1: To it. But uh, you know, Lock will take him anytime, teach him all sorts of useful skills like boy Scot camp. Right, I think I've said before, but.
Speaker 3: Jeez, because this was a sad episode, we got a lot less of Jack and Sawyer and Kate, did I mean except for Sawyer like taunting Jack at the golf course.
Speaker 1: And well but he's uh, he's joined in the group.
Speaker 2: Yes, so based on Kate, yeah, you know, gently suggesting that might be a good idea.
Speaker 1: From one outcast to another. All right, so he's maybe not going to be the enemy for a while. Right.
Speaker 2: They gotta you know, justify the triangle in some way.
Speaker 1: Still so boring, but uh, you know, probably there are more important things for them.
Speaker 2: To be worrying about yeah, their golf game.
Speaker 1: But you know, everybody needs to have their music box fixed every now and then. I guess there's gonna be a certain amount of that, right, Well, so this set up a lot of stuff, yeah, without really doing very much in this particular episode, But we know now to walk carefully through the jungle, right well? Which did we?
Speaker 2: I think we may have known that before.
Speaker 1: Like said, really, you sure you want to go into the jungle? I mean he's falling, Like, I guess what is a power chord? I thought it was a rope, but according to lost Pedia, it was a power chord of some sort. I can see that. But then you see a trip wire and you step gently over it and then wind up in a net. Right, just maybe at that point there's somebody here putting up trip wires, maybe I should go. Well, as he's a he's a resourceful dude.
Speaker 2: As Jack told Kate, you know, he's a trained soldier. He'll he'll be fine, He'll.
Speaker 1: Be fine, And he's going to come back babbling about crazy French women and diseases and traps and all people whispering in the jungle.
Speaker 2: And they're going to say, well, let's let's get you some water and the golf. How about a shower. We've developed the technology while you've been gone that you could take a shower.
Speaker 1: Yes, lovely. Yes, we're all going to die of some strange disease or shoot each other. But for the moment. Golf, Yeah, was there a there are like a a foreshadowing bag of golf clubs around in earlier episodes.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: I feel like I may have seen one, because I don't think that's what Hurley found. He must have found a golf ball or something, because it was he was looking in something much smaller.
Speaker 2: Something small.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so I do feel like there was just sort of Chekhov's golf clubs in one of these long ago episodes that probably early episodes that just you know, you would look at it and say, well, that's a lot a lot of use right now though it was a weapon, you know, yeah, take somebody's head off with a well timed swing.
Speaker 2: Club, yourself a bore.
Speaker 1: So you know, you gotta make the best use you can of what you have available. And playing playing a little island golf, yes, not a bad way to go about it, right, That was fun and setting things up, Yes, putting some chest pieces on the board.
Speaker 2: As will happen on a network TV show that has twenty two episodes to fill.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, oh and so very many more after that. I keep going on the Lost Pedia, and you know, everything is cross reference to future episodes and all that stuff. And I look at some of the stuff in like future seasons and go, oh man, I forgot all about that, right I hack.
Speaker 2: Just keeps getting weirder, is what it's my understanding.
Speaker 1: Right slightly does. It's weird enough right now, but it's getting weirder.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also like up to this point it's all been flashbacks, yes, but there's also well we'll get to flash forwards.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, we will and also flash sideways.
Speaker 2: Oh great, okay, with a.
Speaker 1: Lot of episodes, I'm telling.
Speaker 2: You, right, we had to Like flashbacks are not enough. You need to flash all over the place.
Speaker 1: Yes, we have to keep fishing people out in the ocean if we're getting out of the Yeah. They they they exhausted their creative options as much as they could, right, So, Yeah, it's it's uh, it's wild. It gets wild, but hopefully it's like a soap opera where it hooks you in and then you want to see what happens, even if what happens is oh, come on, you want to see it anyway. Yeah, So hopefully you will continue feeling that way. I sort of feel that way now, even though I've seen it before. I've been on the ride. Oh yeah, I'm on lots of dips and upside downs and curlicues and you know, but right as a hell of a ride. When you get to the end, your back where you began, but still on the way, it's pretty thrilling. So so far you're with it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am. You know. I get that way about a lot of shows, you know, where I'm like, well, I need to know it, and I know that this one's gonna.
Speaker 1: This is the very you know, museum example of a show where the ride is more important than the destination, which is unfortunate because a lot of people were banking on the destination right, and so they now hate the whole thing. But oh my gosh, the thrills, the chills, the the you know, how can you it was worth it just for the week to week going oh my gosh, I can't believe I'm seeing this on my television. So you just have to you just have to go with it. If you can relax and go with it and not really expect every shoelace to be tied at the end, you'll you'll dig it. It's very fun and it's very audacious, and it's in some points very desperate. But I will I will just I will just drop this for you. And this is a spoiler for very laden and it's not really a spoiler. Alison Janney is in this show. What no way I drop that there? It's a long time coming.
Speaker 2: Don't expect it. Well, that's motivating.
Speaker 1: You don't expect it with every every anonymous extra coming out from behind the plane. It's well toward the end, the fact that, amongst all the other stuff that is right on this show that makes your jaw drop, Alison Janney isn't okay. So do we have anything else to say about this? Do we have anything else we want to pull from behind the plane or at out to talk about?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they introduced these new people, and then there was a whole bunch of regulars who just were had the week off. I guess yes, So good for them they were they had found themselves a shady's place maybe they found a book in the wreckage. Yeah, just relax just relaxing. Yeah, not so up for golf. That looked hot. Area that were playing golf. So perhaps they have themselves a nice a nice you know, they brushed a side a dead body and found themselves a nice cool part of the cave. No bees reading the magazine, doing a cross a puzzle, taking a nap.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 1: Yes, hope they hear no voices whispering. So next Tuesday we will continue with season one, episode ten of Lost Raised by Another, which is I believe a clear flashback episode. Okay, possible that we get a new little castaway. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: It's gonna happen soon.
Speaker 1: It it should be happening. It sure does look like it should be happening soon. But who I still am not clear on the timeline of these episodes. How much time is passing in between them.
Speaker 2: I think it's lost for.
Speaker 1: Ten weeks, but I don't think they've been doing it for ten weeks.
Speaker 2: I think on lost Pedia it says like what day it is? Okay, like day twelve or something.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, yeah, so they're not so it's not Oh my gosh, why she hasn't she had that baby yet? It's just right, should be coming to be about that time, maybe about the time she has an episode of her own. We'll see and we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss only murders in the building. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.