Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Don't shoot the messenger. But but for the third day, cocaine is in the news.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Yes, that flunky secret Service director who is now in a closet somewhere with Debbie Wasserman. She threw out that cocaine that was found at the White House last year, and apparently her subordinates were like, no, we need to keep that. And there's a partial DNA profile and it matches. We've got hits in the national database. We could probably track down where that cocaine came from. And she said, no, we're tossing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a reason why we keep it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes, she was horrible at her job. What else did she sandbag?
Speaker 4: It's a very it was Hey, listen once you start. And I think part of it is recency bias. You've had cocaine on the mind so much lately that probably you're attracted to those headlines.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, you don't think so. But maybe my computer's listening and dishes me those headlines.
Speaker 4: It is very possible, man, It's going to be a rough weekend in Georgia, South and North Carolina.
Speaker 3: They're talking about this.
Speaker 4: What was Hurricane Debbie now tropical Storm Debbie just continuing to sit there and churn off the coast.
Speaker 1: Oh and it's wreaking havage havage. It's wreaking havoc. What is havage havoc? It's a freaking havoc on flights throughout the country because of that ripple effect that we talked about happening.
Speaker 4: Ooh, and another we haven't done a lot of I should say we have done a lot of these, but not as many dam stories as we have cocaine stories. But in Colton County, South Carolina, the McGrady dam is about to break. Now, We've seen these before and they've not materialized. I'm not wishing for a dam to break usually that's not great news. But Coleton County Fire Rescue officials again in South Carolina, say that the McGrady dam is currently holding, but that there is substantial flooding in the area of the dam and the creek that resulted in a couple of roads being closed, ringing the beavers. That's going to be more than beavers, more than more.
Speaker 1: You're going to need more than several beavers.
Speaker 3: You're going to need a bigger boat.
Speaker 1: Well, the Democrats had their coming out party in that rally in Pennsylvania, and wow, what a coming out party it was. The crowd was electric. This guy, Tim Walls, the jacket does not match the book.
Speaker 3: Welcome the next Vice President of the United States, Tim Wall.
Speaker 1: And she's able to just stand behind him and smile while he's the attack dog. It's perfectly strategized. This whole optic that the Democrats have right now is really good, and it's all hiding the ball. It's a freaking shell game. Gus, what it is?
Speaker 4: I heard somebody reference this this morning, and I hadn't heard it put this way, But it makes perfect sense that a lot of times, you know, we talk about the demographic choice for a vice president to cover some bases that the presidential candidate doesn't cover. Geographic choices, Maybe there's a swing state that you need and that person represents that swing state, something along those lines, or even god forbid, there'd be a policy difference or a policy weakness that a presidential candidate has that a vice presidential candidate would be able to fill in in this The way I saw it or heard it put this morning was you pick somebody who is going to do the dirty work for you so that you can keep your nose clean.
Speaker 1: They learned from Hillary Clinton, didn't they? You cannot have an angry woman at a podium. It doesn't play, and this is the way to do it.
Speaker 4: So here here was Coach Tim Walls, Governor speaking at that rally last night in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 5: JD.
Speaker 6: Vans literally literally wrote the foreword for.
Speaker 2: The arc TechEd of the Project twenty twenty five agenda.
Speaker 4: Okay, now that was confusing when I heard it, I had to I had to look it up.
Speaker 3: JD.
Speaker 4: Vance wrote a forward for a book, a fictional book by a guy who works at the Heritage Foundation. Heritage Foundation was responsible for this Project twenty twenty five piece that came out that has completely blown up. The Trump campaign has completely disavowed Project twenty twenty five, but they are still using it, which is okay. I mean, it's a political game, and a lot of stuff goes in political manners.
Speaker 6: Like all regular people I grew up with in the Heartland, JD studied at Yale, had his career funded by Silicon Valley billionaires and then wrote a bestseller trashing that community.
Speaker 3: Come on, did he trash it in the book?
Speaker 2: That's not is?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 3: There, I got it.
Speaker 1: There were some moments where the Appalachian families and wasn't a good look. But that's just because the money evaporated from those communities, you know, the old mining communities, things like that. The business dried up. So what happens when you have people without jobs, you have drug use, you have Loserville sometimes.
Speaker 4: And he described in the way that I've seen I've not read the book, so correct me if I'm wrong, that part of it is sort of a doom loop, sort of a spiral where other families caught in the same circumstances that you are, look down on you. If you try to get out of it, they look down on you if you try to reach past you know, your circumstances and maybe do better, like go to Yale.
Speaker 1: The takeaway for me from that book was that these are communities that feel forgotten by the elite circles that run the political game in this country.
Speaker 4: And then he goes and becomes a member of the political elite by going to Yale. I just it was something that kind of feel it's a funny line, but it kind of fell flat. Well, there's more of this because he gets into.
Speaker 3: The couch thing.
Speaker 4: It's silliness. And then believe I want the sex with the couch thing to go to bed. Well, it's right wrong, it's dumb.
Speaker 1: And you know what's glaring to me listening to that rally is that the Democrats are done playing fair, They're done playing nice. They've taken the mantle of name calling and blow blows and they're running with that ball as well. And we are done of the days of George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton being polite to each other and passing off the Oval office with cute little notes. And I just don't agree with him. He's a good man, but I don't agree with him. We are so done with that in this country.
Speaker 3: I don't want to rehash history.
Speaker 4: But I'm looking for an email, specifically from May of twenty twenty, and I was just going through in the break and found I found an email that says nearly two thirds of consumers say they will resume some normal activities.
Speaker 1: Why are you doing that?
Speaker 4: It's just a thing, It's just a reminder like this weird time capsule that we we've talked about weird COVID crap that we were in and we were waiting for people to quote resume some normal activities we have.
Speaker 1: How did we not drive off of a client? Know we have collective PTSD from that that had it has not been dealt with. You know, you and I got through it. I think just coming in here every day and talking about it and trying to make sense of things. Oh but could you imagine if you were just hold up in your home and how about this and not doing normal The datified.
Speaker 4: The daily emails that we would get welcome week, Welcome team to week number nine, shelter at home.
Speaker 1: Stop it, stop the spread.
Speaker 4: We were talking about Governor Tim Wallas, the new vice presidential candidate. Of course, who is It was introduced to the world last night. Still a lot of people do not know him. And like you said, the book does not match the jacket. In this case, it does. Very progressive governor who speaks like your old high school football coach.
Speaker 3: That's not what Middle America is.
Speaker 2: And I gotta tell you, I.
Speaker 3: Can't wait to debate the guy.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's gonna be a good debate. I want to move it forward. There's a good ten to fifteen seconds of cheering there. He says, I want to. I can't wait to debate the guy, that is.
Speaker 2: If he's willing to get off the couch and show up.
Speaker 1: So couch joke, just to be clear, was made up.
Speaker 4: The whole thing about him having sex with a couch was a complete internet joke that people now. Don't get me wrong, it was funny, but people now think it was like, well he really wrote that in a book.
Speaker 1: Some you can only get so much mileage out of a masturbation joke. Well tell that, and when you're a dude like that, an old dude doing a masturbation Joe, I don't want to. I had no bandwidth for that. It's not funny. I don't want to associate you, Tim Walls with any sort of emissions. It's true.
Speaker 4: I wanted to play this for you because I wanted to get your reaction. He was a linebackers coach and a defensive coordinator for a high school football.
Speaker 2: So were you a position coach offensive guy as a defensive coordinator?
Speaker 3: Okay, what'd you run? Yeah, we ran a four to four where we read guards.
Speaker 2: At the time, I had really good athletes and good linebackers are your corners.
Speaker 6: They were good.
Speaker 3: That was an age when I was coaching that. You know, it was unusual to see.
Speaker 2: A twenty five hundred to three thousand yard pastor on the other side, but it was starting.
Speaker 3: To come along. So they were running the ball a lot. Yeah, your reaction, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: I have no reaction to that. I mean, that's that's very like. I mean, I love a high school football coach. I love all football coach is when they can get into that headspace of talking football and being motivational. There's nothing political on that. Hopefully there's nothing political football. And I knew that's the guy we were going to get. Yesterday at their rally, I was I was saying, you know, this is going to be the football coach. Wells, that's what you're going to get. And that's what Kamala Harris kept referring to him as and walls.
Speaker 3: I think that is brilliantly political.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so smart. Everything they're doing is so smart and so strategic, and it's just it's very much the Kamala Harris brand.
Speaker 3: Strategic.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a couple of things I wanted to point out we'll come back and do this regarding how you define the Midwest. Right again, this is not a race between JD. Vance and Tim Walls, but there is some value in finding out the difference between these two guys and the piece I think was in Politico today where they referred to Tim Walls as comfort food for some of the same things you're explaining, like football, high school football coach. The vast majority of us have positive memories of a high school football right. It's regardless of whether they were mean to us or not, you look back and think they helped shape that person.
Speaker 3: Right. World War three is about to break out.
Speaker 4: Dramatic video now shows Ukrainian jets and troops burging into Russia. Vladimir Putin has told members of the Russian government the Kiev regime has launched another major provocation. Putin has accused Ukrainian forces of firing indiscriminately at civilian targets. There is some concern also that there is a key nuclear plant in that area that the Ukrainians may try to take.
Speaker 1: Planning for the twenty twenty eight LA Olympics as well underway. That's going to be interesting, isn't it. Are they going to clean this place up? We're going to have to do a regular Olympics update. Are they going to pour all the billions of dollars more into that? People mover lax?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, people move her. They're going to clean up the river. They're going to do the river. It's not a river, it is it's not a river.
Speaker 3: You're so closed minded.
Speaker 4: We're talking about the big introduction. Last night, Kamala Harris of course introduces her vice presidential running mate, Governor Tim Wallas of Minnesota. And for a lot of people, it's the first time they've here heard this guy speak. And to be honest, I mean he's a he's a good speaker.
Speaker 3: He he fit that or he met that moment last night.
Speaker 4: I hate to use that term, but but he came from small town Nebraska, right. He has a medium sized state in the Midwest that he's been the governor of and he goes into this arena with thousands of people and knocks it out of the park.
Speaker 2: Minnesota strengths comes from our values, our commitment to working together, to seeing pastor differences, to always being willing to lend a helping hand. Those are the same values I learned on the family farm and tried to instill.
Speaker 1: In my students, lean it into it.
Speaker 3: I took it to.
Speaker 2: Congress and to the state Capitol, and now Vice President Harris and I are running to take those very values to the White House now, which.
Speaker 3: Is fine, I understand that.
Speaker 4: But you find me a farmer in Nebraska who wants to put tampons in boys' restrooms. Or find me one farmer in Nebraska.
Speaker 1: One farmer who may have a successful farm and maybe his neighbor does not, and taking the successful farmer's money and giving it to the neighbor who doesn't know how to use water.
Speaker 4: The guy with the two cows, you take one of his successful cows and give it to the other guy, simply because he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Have one socialism for everybody on this farm. He is not what he appears, is not. You got to do your research and the Republicans and Trump, I don't know if he's going to be able to do this to drill down on the policy points, or if he's just going to name call and go wild with conspiracy theories like he did last night on Truth Social when he made this rant about Joe Biden's going to come back and steal the election.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: My God, could.
Speaker 3: You imagine you'll just storming into the United Center.
Speaker 1: You don't need the conspiracy theories, the Republicans don't. All they need to do is drill down on what these two stand for. It's because it'll terrify the people in the middle and probably the economy.
Speaker 3: It's the economy. It's the economy.
Speaker 4: Remember at the National Association of Black Journalists, when when Trump started getting into well she was Indian and I don't know when she turned black or whatever, all he started talking about the ecologation.
Speaker 1: Just just sit there, stick to that.
Speaker 3: That's all you got to Let everybody else make their own decisions about her or whatever him is.
Speaker 1: Because right now the Democrats are putting on a hell of a show. They are shiny, they are exuberant, they've got momentum, they've got passion. But they're not talking about what their plans are.
Speaker 3: So there's a couple of pieces today that I saw.
Speaker 4: One of them was in the Washington Post and it was a question about what is the Midwest? And these guys are going to argue Jade Vance and Tim Walls are going to argue, well, I'm Midwest. No, No, I'm Midwest. And a difference between the geographic what the Census Bureau considers the Midwest, which does include Ohio and Minnesota. But what people if you were to ask people what they consider the Midwest, like, oh, why would they waste Washington Post inc On an article about what is the Midwest?
Speaker 1: I'm glad you just crumpled that up because I was going to jump across the desk and do the same thing that's asinin. Also there to show party unity was Josh Shapiro, who got passed over to be the running mate for Kamala Harris, and he sounds eerily similar to Barack Obama. Yeah, we'll play some of his stuff when we come back.
Speaker 4: I just want to also say that the other the second piece was from Politico where they described Tim Walls as comfort food because when you look at him as the football coach, the farmer, the Midwest guy, kind of, you know, no nonsense, willing to call out bad guys that he's the He's probably not wearing his sergeant's chevrons or bearing a coach's whistle over his neck, but his remarks make clear that he intends to run on his biography and regular bloke style, not his progressive legacy.
Speaker 1: And that's all the cover of the book, right, that's the pretty jacket that makes you feel good. And then you get to page twelve and little boys have tampons in their bathroom.
Speaker 5: So didn't the coach there just go up for dad vance for lifting himself up out of poverty and going Yale and making something of himself. Yes, that's funny because I thought that's why kids went to school was to study, work hard, go to good college. They're going to come after Gary's daughter next for being smart, all right, But and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was my point was it was a funny line. Like all my friends they went together.
Speaker 1: Well, Kamala Harris's father was a Stanford at Econ professor and her mother was a scientist, brilliant who had several advances or helped several advances in breast cancer research.
Speaker 4: They're not and even those two are not from the same place, even though they want to tell you they're from the same place.
Speaker 3: That's what's great.
Speaker 4: I mean, Kamala Harris kept saying the words only in America last night.
Speaker 3: That was her thing. Only in America.
Speaker 4: Would I having grown up in Oakland and Canada, team up with this guy who grew up in Nebraska and Minnesota.
Speaker 1: That's what every ticket is. That's the way it should be. That's what makes us great. Yeah, what we are.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a weird, weird thing going on with Josh Shapiro.
Speaker 1: He must have just studied the hell out of Barack Obama because the cadence is uncanny.
Speaker 3: From the Daily Show. By the way, Ronnie.
Speaker 7: Chang, listen to this guy speak, because I mean, is he is he doing an Obama?
Speaker 3: This again?
Speaker 4: The Pennsylvania governor Josh Shapiro super cut with former President Obama.
Speaker 2: You could not have a clear contrast between Kama Harris and Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: You deserve better than somebody who's just trying to make a quick buck, somebody willing to say anything to get attention.
Speaker 3: You deserve somebody who knows you. Let me tell you something. He's pretty afraid.
Speaker 1: Yeah see, he's backing.
Speaker 3: Out of the debate.
Speaker 4: Now, he's afraid to stand toe to toe with our vice president now. He actually to me, also sounds a little bit like uh, Gavenussom Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my husband said the same thing, a.
Speaker 3: Little growley at times like Avenusom.
Speaker 1: By the way, Let's also talk about Gavin Newsom and how pissed off he is. He's been lost in all of this.
Speaker 3: I thought about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're crowning people. They were frothing at the mouth over Josh Shapiro. Walls and hairs were yesterday. I mean, that must be what happens when you get passed over. But it was just like frothing about what a wonderful person is. He's the future of the party. And somewhere Gavin Newsom is sitting in his underwear, just pissed off, red faced, crying and combing his hair.
Speaker 4: All I can do is talk about a fire that burning half of my state.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama asked him for his certificate. I'm like, wait, are you me? At this point, it could be smart for Harris to pick him. I mean she could be like, hey, Trump, you think I'm pretending to be black, Well check.
Speaker 3: Out my VP.
Speaker 1: That's good. He's funny, all right.
Speaker 3: The one thing that is not well.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump then tried to use the I don't even know how to pronounce what he thinks.
Speaker 1: This is comeab bluh. It's silly. It's just stupid. It's a bad look. Just stick to the tampons in the boy's bathrooms. That will be more successful than stupid. A calling just the economy or in the economy. Stick sit in the economy, Sit in that money and tampons. That's your lane.
Speaker 3: I think more money. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.