Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the tech Talk Radio Network. Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird.
Speaker 2: It's just us.
Speaker 1: It's just the two of us today. But you know it's probably pretty good because, well, let's face it, Justin is not a fan of the Apple.
Speaker 2: And neither's Matt.
Speaker 1: Matt. Really, I thought Matt was kind of like, kind of like, no, not at all, man, boy.
Speaker 2: He tolerates it.
Speaker 1: Justin.
Speaker 2: You know, Justin is a cynic for Apple, so real, well, he is Apple's biggest critic.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he just doesn't like anything Apple has done. But you know, I think the.
Speaker 2: Only thing that he likes that Apple's done is the poop emo g. That's how it feels about Apple.
Speaker 1: Well, the cool thing is is I've actually gone back to Apple, So I'm kind of like reinvigorating my side business that I used to do a lot, graphics and design and scanning and all that stuff. I had my Skype number, which was a great number, and then of course Skype went away Skype. But yeah, exactly, but I had paid for my stype's Skype phone number for a year. I paid for it and then within two weeks is when Skype said, well, we're going away, so I still have the phone number, but it said I have to have it ported by April of next year or I lose it or whatever. So I just decided, you know what, I've got this iPhone fourteen Promax that is just sitting here. I carry around my you know, Pixel all the time, so why not put that Skype number onto the iPhone and start carrying that around me. That's a business phone. So I'm back into the world of Apple, and I gotta say I'm kind of happy about it too. So so far, I've not had any spam calls.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So on the topic of Apple, A couple months ago they did their software They announced OS twenty six and Tahoe and a couple of things. But on the ninth they announced this is a hardware announcement, so a couple of the big the big key things was new AirPod Pro threes oh three new models of Apple Watch, three base models of iPhones iPhone seventeen, iPhone Air and iPhone seventeen Pro and Promax oh wow, and man it some of it's really cool.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering though, like, Okay, on the watches I've got, you know, the I Watch. I got one before I had switched to the pixel smartphone, and I'm kind of glad I still have it. I mean, I use it for keeping control, keeping an eye on the heart, and you know the blood oxygen which was gone for a while, but it's back and it's got Mickey Mouse on it. I like it. How can they improve on a watch? That's what made me kind of huh. Watches.
Speaker 2: So they had the Watch se which is like their base, base level watch, and these all launched September nineteenth, by the way. So they had the Watch se which was it's they're calling it their budget health conscious watch. Basically it's got a budget with all the health features.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They have the Apple Watch Series eleven, which they added. The new thing they added was hypertension tracking, so if you have hypertension, it can track and aid you in understanding when you're having hypertension or if you're encountering hypertension. They added sleep tracking, oh wow, so it can do a bigger overall picture of your sleep health. And then they have the Watch Ultra three, So the the third series of the Ultra which it has satellite messaging, so the SOS messaging, but via satellite, so you can do satellite messaging from it. And they're touting that the Ultra three has a seventy two hour battery life.
Speaker 1: Really on the watch, seventy two hour. So this is great if somebody is stuck in the wilderness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this, this one would be if you're if you're doing some outdoorsy stuff and you know you're out there for a couple of days, you can't recharge some stuff. Your your your your watch is going to be doing a good job. My watch is pain to me. But so those are the watches, right, So those three and I don't see the prices on this. I'll have to look at the prices again here in a second. The first thing they announced was the AirPod Pro threes, the third generation of the AirPod pros. I have the second gen. I love them. The noise canceling is fantastic. They improve the active noise canceling. It can track your heart rate through your AirPods. Wait what the AirPods have heart rate monitoring built in. So if you don't have an Apple watch, but you want to track your exercise and your heart rate, the air pods using some sort of spatial audio and sensing in your ears can track your heart rate.
Speaker 1: Oh that's amazing. Well all right.
Speaker 2: The other cool thing was it's using Apple Intelligence. It does live translation. You speak Spanish to me, the AirPods will translate it to English.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Now, I've seen some third party devices that have been doing this, but this is all going to be included in.
Speaker 2: That, just with the AirPods. So I don't know if you have to have a specific version of iPhone for it to work. But it was a flagship feature of the AirPods standalone. Wow, which was really cool. Now they touted that into the iPhones also that you can do live translation stuff. So it's got to be paired with Apple Intelligence. So you probably have to have an iPhone that runs Apple Intelligence. But I don't know. It's to be determined whether or not it's it has to I don't know, but it's really cool.
Speaker 1: So somebody could be having a conversation with you. You just hold up the smartphone and say they're speaking, you know, speaking Spanish you don't speak Spanish, or they're speaking you know, Japanese, and it would take it and translate it while you're wearing the.
Speaker 2: So you speak Spanish to me and then it's like a delayed translator in your ear. It translated the Siri or whoever your voice will speak to you in your native language or whatever language you choose. Right Automa like real time, and if both people have AirPods, it apparently knows and we'll do it bi directionally.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So it was pretty impressive to see. I mean, I knew it was coming.
Speaker 1: They actually demo because you were able to watch the event, which they called the awe Dropping Event a dropping event. Yes, you were able to watch the event. Did they show that demonstrated?
Speaker 2: I mean they showed some canned videos of it being done, but they didn't do anything live. Right, So it's like skeptical until I try it. I'd be very intrigued to try it. You know, we get some international students and it'd be cool to seed we work right, right, So the three watches the air pods, and then they announced three new versions of the iPhone.
Speaker 1: All right, so you had the.
Speaker 2: iPhone seventeen, which is using the A nineteen chip. It's literally a great entry level phone. Everybody's saying, like, there's no reason if you're an Apple user and you want a great phone, The iPhone seventeen, just the base model is going to be fantastic. Everybody was rumored that there was gonna be a super thin iPhone, the iPhone Air. It's got a five point three millimeter thickness fine point.
Speaker 3: Wow, what really, that's tiny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very very thin. And they're they're touting that both sides of the phone, the front and the back glass are got this ceramic coating at the atomic level or something, so it's super scratch resistant. Super you know, they dropped, you know, they were showing them getting smashed around, and they had some videos of them getting hit by stuff. But then then wounce the iPhone seventeen right, which has a redesigned battery for super long battery life. Then they announced the iPhone seventeen Pro and the Pro Max, the iPhone seven. So the iPhone seventeen has two cameras on it. It's got a wide angle and a telephoto. They're all all of the cameras on the seventeen. The Air and the seventeen Pro are all forty eight megapixel sensors, so they bumped up the sensor size significantly in these cameras, and there's just a load of features. But the seventeen Pro and the Pro Max are all aluminum body design because the battery is ginormous in this thing and the processing power is huge. They're running the eight the A nineteen s or something like that, like the pro version of the AA nineteen chip, and you can do so much with the camera. You can record four K, one hundred and twenty frame, you can do pro resira, you can do tons of stuff. You can add a black Magic Design accessory that will give you genlock, it'll give you time code, it will if this is a low end cinema camera basically like they are touting this to a broadcast level a camera quality. They shot the whole presentation on the iPhone seventeen's. All the Apple stuff they did was shot on the iPhone seventeens.
Speaker 1: I remember some years ago when they were showing I want to say the fourteen and they actually shot an entire film using the fourteen and presented that.
Speaker 2: A Yeah, I mean they're all doing it now. Every time they launch a new iPhone, somebody shot a movie with it. But yeah, so it's got a larger battery and it they're saying it'll do up to like thirty two hours of video playback. It's crazy how big this is.
Speaker 1: What would be the biggest reason, Sean, just from watching this for somebody like you're on the thirteen right, thirteen Pro thirteen Pro and I've got the fourteen, What would be the biggest reason to update or upgrade from somebody who had, you know, a device that was maybe just a little a little older.
Speaker 2: Just to get the current gen hardware. I mean, I really don't have a desire to move. I don't like again, the last phone I had before the thirteen Pro was a seven S and that was five generations. I waited. Now I'm at the same point where I'm on this. I'm on the thirteen. I don't have a reason. But the price of the iPhone seventeen was just seven ninety nine flat okay for a two hundred and fifty six gig based storage, so that they bumped up the minimum storage for the iPhone seventeen to two fifty six. Maybe a seventeen would have been back go. I don't think I don't need the Pro or the Pro Max. I'm not doing any of that creative content. I wouldn't need to spend twelve hundred dollars on a phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you think these are going to be priced for quite higher than what we've already seen. We haven't seen the pricing on the smartphones yet, right, or did they go ahead.
Speaker 2: The iph the iPhone Air. I was surprised. It was just high, to be honest. But it's nine to ninety nine for the iPhone Air.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think people are used to that now.
Speaker 2: I think the iPhone seventeen Pro was ten ninety nine, the air pods were two forty nine, and the watches were around the same price there now for current gen phone for watches. So, but I mean overall, they touted the cameras. The cameras were a big push, right. They're all all at this baseline forty eight megapixel. They all have two camera more than two or more so. The iPhone seventeen and the iPhone Air have the two cameras, the one wide angle and the one telephoto so optical zoom. The iPhone Air had some other fancy stuff in it that just seemed to be five point six milimeters. It's titanium six point five inch screen with the one hundred and twenty hertz refresh. Oh this, the Air has this feature, but I don't think the other cameras do dual filming mode, so you can record both the front and the rear at the same time.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's cool.
Speaker 2: So you can have like you could be filming vertically but have your reaction also like a FaceTime almost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll have your little box square. Well, that'll be good. Creators will love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's this. They kind of mentioned like this is for creators, like the Air was designed for creators because it's so slim, it's sleek.
Speaker 1: It's Are they doing anything battery wise with those did they mention? I mean, you mentioned that you get some pretty long life, so I would have to think that they increased it. One of the things I loved about the as US phone that I looked at recently that one had two batteries in it, so it just really gave you long, long battery life for the power you'd be consuming on it. I'm wondering if Apple is going to be doing the same thing with their they.
Speaker 2: Touted they touted battery life pretty life. They said, Apple sites up to twenty seven hours of video playback via the internal battery.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: They also now have a rechargeable mag Safe charger. Rechargeable Safe, You're chargeable. You can just basically mag safe it to the back of your phone and it'll charge your phone from the mag Safe right, So you can set it, set it down, you know, have it on your desk and just drop it on there while you're going or whatever.
Speaker 1: So it's to be plugged in. It could just be it's you've charged your mag safe device, you take it with you and then you just connect them up and it's gonna charge off of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna charge off of the mag Safe device.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it says that you can stretch up the air can stretch up to forty hours when you're paired it with the mag Safe the mag Safe charger.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: It says the size is a thirty one hundred million million battery all day twenty seven hours video playback. And size who knows it's probably on like zero percent brightness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, zeros, Yes, size in six inch screens six inch and that's on the air.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What about the Pro the seventeen Pro Max, So.
Speaker 2: The I our own seventeen standard is a six point three inch OLED display. Promotion one hundred and twenty hertz, and this is the ceramics shield. They're called tauting. This ceramic shield too, whatever that is where they code it with some sort of ceramic thing. Not thirty thousand, three thousand nit peak brightness. Thirty thousand would be would be blown your face off.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The iPhone seventeen Pro is also the six point three inch, matching the size of the standard model super REDNA xdrled promotion one hundred and twenty hertz hasn't always on display, and a massiveness of the same three thousand nit peak brightness, so they're all about the same size. So in terms of screen size.
Speaker 1: We talked about AI, and there was word recently that Apple was going to be looking at possibly what Google is doing with its devices and maybe even integrating the Gemini kind of overflow into Apple AI. Today even mentioned that, or the only.
Speaker 2: Apple Intelligence mentioned was for the live translation.
Speaker 1: That's it, really, that's it. Well, so I kind of I wonder if that would be a letdown for a lot of people. That's one of the things about the Google Pixel device is the AI capabilities on it have been great. I don't get that with Siri, and if they were able to take Siri and have that same type of experience. And I think maybe some people who have already been using you know, whether it be Samsung or Google Pixel or whatever, and you're getting the UI the AI use out of that would be happy to come back to Apple in some cases if they were able to, you know, up their game when it came to that. But maybe they don't think it's that much of an issue.
Speaker 2: I don't. I mean, like I said, the only AI mantel for Apple Intelligence was part of the heart reymoditoring stuff, just because they've been using it to learn. They did a study of like some two hundred thousand Apple users for one of the studies, and five million hours of heart rate content. The AI can scrape and do all this stuff with, right, But yeah, there was nothing Flagship except for the translation he was using the Apple Intelligence. So there's nothing about chat GPT or any other app integration with with AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm thinking whether it's anthropic or you know, whether it's chat gptory. I mean, I have chat GPT as an app on my phone, so I mean Sam can have that on any device as well, so you could always go third party. But I just wonder if Apple would gain a little more market share if they were to do that. I think they'll still do well and especially would this still would not be something to make you want to upgrade, upgrade from your thirteen.
Speaker 2: Well, they did say at the end that anybody with a thirteen pro or higher can get a significant amount of money at Apple towards an iPhone seventeen.
Speaker 1: No, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: So I think it was something like you get like seven one hundred dollars for an iPhone thirteen. Wow, But I'll look that one up because I don't remember, but it was. I was it was kind of like a oh yeah, a significant amount of money towards an iPhone seventeen. So we'll see.
Speaker 1: So they covered phones that covered you know, the AirPods. Did they go anywhere when it came to max or even tablets or that's completely.
Speaker 2: And then I was surprised because there was a there was a really really big rumor because they they designed a new Uh, all of these phones have their new motive in them, their new five G modem. They developed their own five G modem. So even the watches that have cellular are running their new five G modem. There was a big rumor that they were developing a MacBook with five G so that you could just have a cell phone plan on your MacBook and that's all you needed. So and it would be designed around probably the A nineteen pro chip also, so it'd be like a a MacBook. Everybody's rumoring is gonna be called the MacBook or the MacBook light, right or because you can't call the air. But but it would be a MacBook five G MacBook. So, but I I was disappointed it wasn't anything besides like wearably porpherials, watches, air pods, and the phones. But that means we're going to get another Mac based keynote at some point, right because we had the software one earlier this year.
Speaker 1: This is this is do those in October?
Speaker 3: Like? But I mean, I mean, I don't know, but you.
Speaker 1: Know, they could have they could have ended it alluding to something coming because during the holiday season, that's when you know, October you want to hit for Christmas. These Friday are going to be out in just days that they'll be available for people to purchase. Uh, and again that's uh, that's gonna be pretty big. I don't know, I definitely want to take a look at it. I'm very happy with the fourteen Pro Max that that was a great device.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm very happy with the with the thirteen Pro. It's it's It's done me really well. It does everything I needed to. You know, I don't have Apple intelligen so I can't do some things. But right, because this was the version, it's like the fourteen you can get Apple Intelligence.
Speaker 1: But really, I don't know, I just don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm running I'm still running the Developer beta and everything's been great. I mean, obviously the first couple of days were a little rough with the with the issues I had doing that, but other than that, it's been great.
Speaker 1: And I have a question though, whatever happened to the vision Apple Vision, whatever, whatever happened to the wearable?
Speaker 2: It's going the way of three D TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, nobody.
Speaker 2: Wants to wear have a wearable to watch their content. Sure it's immersive and it's cool, but how often is it feasible? You're not doing it every time you're watching content, Right, You're not watching it when you're watching content with your friends. You're not doing it when you're watching content with your family. So you're watching all this content by yourself. With the wearable on and then you're limited to the that's available for it because there's nobody creating the content because there's nobody watching the content. So that's the same thing with three DTV. Right Everybody got a super hyped because they wanted to watch three D sports, but then they realized you had to wear the glasses and if people came over to watch sports, because sports is social, everybody had to wear three D glasses. But then if you sat at the wrong viewing angle, it was crap. If you stood up, people got sick because the motion. And then if the TV wasn't set up right, then it just went away. It was the hype. I mean, ESPN did World Cup in three D or you know, and they had to tune out all the vuvuzelas and like I mean, there was this whole thing surrounding like three D three D, three D, three D three D, and then it just went by.
Speaker 3: Bi Yeah, it was there and it was gone.
Speaker 1: Stopped hearing about it. You know. I've had the question in the past two about the Apple Watch. Can somebody get an Apple Watch, maybe go into Verizon or motor Rope wherever. What if store they shot at and get a watch with phone service on it, a cellular service, and not have to buy a brand new iPhone.
Speaker 2: I believe you have to have it set up via an iPhone. I don't know, right, because I know that, like I have my old watch still paired to my phone and when I repaired it, it said set up this watch for somebody else, right, But it's like, what do I You still have to have an Apple ID you still have to have the whole thing because it's still gonna do I'm messaging and all that stuff. So I don't know. I honestly don't know. But it's interesting you're not buying an Apple watch if you don't have an iPhone, Like that's just not something people are doing.
Speaker 1: We've been talking about the big Apple event. What did they call it again? What was it? The awe dropping the odd dropping event?
Speaker 2: Based on Justin's reaction that it was pretty minimal awe droppings.
Speaker 1: If you missed any of the event and you want to watch it Apple dot com, you go to the website, you'd be able to watch it there. We could take a quick break. We got a couple of questions on the show as well, with more of Tech Talk Radio I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 2: I'm Sean de Weird.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. You can find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 2: Now back to tech talk Radio. Welcome back to tech talk Radio. During the break, we had Justin join us so he could poo poo all over the Apple event.
Speaker 3: Guys, I have I had the most amazing nap today. It was like eleven am until like two pm my time. What happened during that time?
Speaker 1: Apple had their big to do event. They're big, you know, oh awesome, draw dropping.
Speaker 3: Gosh, darn, I missed it. I was taking a nap. Darn.
Speaker 1: Was there anything you have heard though that made you say, oh, that's cool?
Speaker 3: Not a single thing, honestly, I'm not even joking. Honestly. I just everything that Apple does. I've said this over and over. No, dude, everything that Apple does, Android or Samsung or whoever, they've done it before, and Apple's is like, oh, that sounds cool. Let's just take it and like put a shiny new coat on it and call it ours.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, So they have this translation now going to be available in the air the AirPods, which I thought was kind of cool, but as so you put it you put it, and I know I have an app Google Translated app that works, and I don't know if it works the same way. But these are designs so that if somebody is talking to you, and you know your wife Japanese, so if you're talking to somewhat of her relatives, that you'd be able to understand what they're saying and if they're wearing and they So it's built into the the AirPod. Now that sounded pretty ground break.
Speaker 3: Was this? Was this like something they announced today that they were being okay? So, uh, three years ago, when I first started working at Highland Hills, the very first thing I did was we had a trip scheduled to Japan, and I went to Japan and I brought along my brand new pixel buds. I had just gotten the picks buds. It was like the first iteration of the pixel buds. Guess what they had Live Translate. I could put a pixel bud in. I could put a pixel bud in my ear and I have my phone set on Google Translate and just do Live Translate, and I would just set the phone on the table and the pixel buds would repeat back to me in English what was being said in Japanese around me. So yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Since twenty seventeen, three years ago.
Speaker 1: More.
Speaker 2: Wow, have supported real time translations.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, breaking news, guys, Apple, Apple invented the live translate.
Speaker 1: Breaking Yeah, well we do. Justin might bring us down to earth on that excitement. Sorry, it's okay, it's okay that that certainly happens.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I mean, I'll be the first person. I'll be the first person to give Apple a congratulatory you know, rundo of applause if they actually invent something. Again, everything they do is been done five ten years ago, and they just put a shiny coat on it and says, oh, look what we invented. No, you did it.
Speaker 1: So nothing yet that is going to make you say I said I got to get an Apple. Yeah, no, still stick with it. Now, are you getting the ten for the Google Pixel? Because I know I have the nine and I wasn't sure if I wanted to update, and I was telling Justin you, I was telling Sean you missed that. I went in and set up a second business line and I'm using the iPhone I want and use the iPhone Pro Max that I have and doing that and the decision, and Glory even asked me, she said, well, do you want to go with the Pixel ten? I'm thinking, I don't know if there's anything that made me say I really want to.
Speaker 3: Well, I normally skip a generation or two. I mean I did have the eight pro and then when the nine pro fold that's the foldable screen. When that came out, I was like, I have to have this. So I went against my you know, intuition in my past experiences, and I went ahead and I upgraded the very next generation. Now do I want to have the ten?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Will my wife kill me if I get the ten? Also? Yes? So not gonna get the ten.
Speaker 1: We were hoping to have Matt on because we know Matt ordered it, and Matt probably by now has it. Has he said anything to you about it?
Speaker 3: Like I haven't talked to him in a couple of days. No, I don't know if he actually has it or not. But if he does has it, does have it, I'm assuming he would probably be reaching out to us and saying that you know, hey, this is so cool, or you know, oh this this sucks about this or whatever. But no, I mean, don't get me wrong, I would like it. Now when Google releases a new phone. It's kind of the same thing about Apple. There's not a lot that they release when they come out with their big releases of their flagship phones. It's not like, oh my gosh, all this stuff is new. Google is kind of known for just introducing features along the way and saying, oh, hey, by the way, we're gonna do live translate now, and or or you know, hey, you can buy a pixel Watch and not have to have a brand new pixel phone like Apple, so that, you know, answer your question earlier, Yeah, you can buy a pixel Watch and just get service on it. You don't have to buy the phone with it. Okay, so that's kind of interesting. But no, I mean yeah, I watched the the Google event and I was like, okay, you know, it's it's cool, but there's not much else. And now I did see something on X. I saw a post on X earlier. It was a guy in Chicago. I think, what is it. What's that big concert that goes on in Chicago every year la Lallapalooza. Yes, Lollapalooza. There was a guy who was I want to say, probably a mile and a half two miles away in a big upper story condo me and he was filming the Lollapalooza concert. Zoomed in all the way and it said can Apple do this? And it was a pixel phone, it was a Pixel nine phone, and they zoomed in almost I would say, probably at least a mile, if not a mile and a half away, and it was really I mean, yeah, obviously a little bit pixelated, but it was you could make out what was going on, you could make out the crowd, and I was like, wow, that was amazing.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is pretty amazing. I will say that the camera optics on the Google Pixel are pretty amazing. It's funny though, and I don't know if you've seen the meme on this. As we get older, the zoom feature on the smartphone is super important because that's what we used to read labels. Yep, it's true. I don't know when when's the expiration date on this? I am constantly going to the fridge taking a picture zooming in. You know, Okay, got to throw this thing away. You know, I should probably do that more often. Actually, what I've been doing is I just I look around him, like, where's my nearest pair of reader glasses? Because I've got like seventeen pairs around the house, like strategically placed.
Speaker 3: Wherever I need him, right exactly, And I just grab my reader glasses and do it. But yeah, no taking a picture and then to zooming in on it, that makes more sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, best way to get you to that, seun.
Speaker 3: No, oh that's right, you're young, all right.
Speaker 1: We did get a listener question, and I want to help this guy out, real cool guy. He actually called the station while I was on the air, and I called him after I got off the air. So he's frustrated. He keeps getting pop ups from McAfee on his computer. Been that way for a couple of weeks, he said, and to the point where it's almost thirty a day and it's asking for him to click and pay to remove a virus on his system. So he doesn't want the program. So he said that he knows he has seat cleaner and AVG on the system. So I kind of talked him through and when we went to the ad removed programs so he could get rid of McAfee. It's not even installed on his computer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that's he's obviously got a piece of malware.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I reached back out to him after, you know, talking to you guys, and I told him, I said, well, if anything malware, but it could also be a browser extension. And there have been some reports lately on browser extensions being abused and people getting you know, getting scamped by these. Yeah, so I'm wondering, can we what would be your best exploited explanation for somebody who doesn't know what is a browser extension.
Speaker 2: It's like a plug in for your browser. I can add on it. Does they do certain things like you can get them for ad block, you can get them for paywall, you can get them for dark mode, you can get him for all sorts of stuff. But browser extensions are this generation's starch engines, search engine tabs, or whatever you call. It's like when people would download the search engine extension for your browser and you'd have a Yahoo want an excite wana? Oh yeah, you know, you'd have four search bars at the top of your browser. So extensions are just kind of a new version of those.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if I'd go that far behind it, but I see where you're going with it, and I somewhat agree. But extensions consider multiple purposes. And the thing about extensions, though, is you know, I don't know what browser you're using, Firefox, Edge or Chrome. Most of these extensions should be already vetted by the browser the company that makes the browser, whether it be Google or Mozilla or Microsoft. However, if you're getting extensions from random places or going to a website and it's like, hey, this website has an extension, do you want to install it? And you click yes, you could very well be getting malware. And that's obviously what's going on here. You've got a piece of malware that is pretending to act as an antivirus and it's not, and you need to get rid of that that malware.
Speaker 1: What is the best way to clear a kind of an extension is actually just to go into your your management, right, I mean it's or or I recommend him getting malware bytes, and there's a tool that malware bite has that that can root out some of the evil extensions that are out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now, some of these, some of those malwares, I'm not saying all of them, but some of those malwares, if you try to put on like malware bytes or something after the fact, it can actually interrupt the installation and prevent the installation from happening. So you got to be careful about because so if you have a sophisticated piece of malware, which likely what you got is probably not. It's one of those just simple, you know scams where you're gonna call somebody and andkay, we'll remove this malware for a fee of you know, one hundred dollars, and then they're actually just going to get in and steal your money. So I would obviously not call the phone number. I would not do anything with that. I would try to, like Andy said, get malware bytes or something like that. You can even if you have a friend that is good with computers, you could even have them install on a safe, brand new you know, flash drive malware bytes so that it could be installed and bypass the actual you know, downloading, which can then redirect. So you've got to be careful about that, and careful about some of the websites you're going to if you're going through this, because those websites could be redirected by whatever malware is sitting in your browser. Extension extensions could be handy. I mean I use one pass.
Speaker 1: It's great to be able to you want to pull up your password, you could open open up your browser extension and do it that way, you know, and grab that and always have access to that. So yeah, that could be. That could be a little challenging. And he's noticing it and he's not clicking on it, and that's what you never want to do. So that's that's a good thing. So hopefully Dick is a guy's name. It lives out here in Green Valley, So hopefully this will will help them. And I told him to let me know what the next step is for him. We had another one from Nancy, but we're actually out of the almost out of times.
Speaker 3: Well, I was just gonna say something else, a totally another story here. Yeah, let's go for it. It's a little bit technology related. But as of this recording, today, the Denver Broncos announced they're building a brand new stadium that's going to be top of the line. It's gonna be every top technology everywhere. It's going to make Sofi Stadium, which is the most technology technologically advanced stadium. It's going to make it look like abandoned warehouse.
Speaker 1: Now, this is what is the one in Vegas, right.
Speaker 3: No, Sofi is the one in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: In La Okay, Vegas.
Speaker 3: They just built No, no, no, and no, that's that's for the A's. Yes, the one that's built for the Raiders is an allegiant stadium.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So this new one in Denver is going to be. Now where is it going to be.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be just right across the street from the current one mile. They bought a big, massive facility called Burnham Yard, which is an old, old, old train station rail line. It's actually older. Burnham Yard is older than Denver itself. And so that rail yard is now going to be repurposed into not only just a stadium, but an incomplete district. It's going to have housing, it's going to have restaurants, it's going to have entertainment. It's going to have and the stadium all by the way, is going to be retractable roof. So then we can have a Super Bowl, we can have the Final Four, we can have WWE, WrestleMania, we can have all kinds of other stuff that can happen year around and make Denver once again an entertainment destination, not just oky let's go to the mountains and go skiing. But this venue is going to have amazing technology behind it. And honestly, you got to look at is if you don't know who owns the Denver broncos it is the richest owners in NFL history. It is the Walter Penne Group. Now Walton who Walton, Sam Walton, the owner of Walmart. It's her, It's his daughter who's married to Greg Penner, and they are the richest owners. I think it's a net worth of eighty seven billion dollars.
Speaker 1: This chunk a change, yeah.
Speaker 3: And there there's this stadium is estimated to be between four and six billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Amazing. All right, we'll come back. We'll take Nancy's question with more of tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 3: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm justin. Let me send us an X at tech talk Radio.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back and now back to tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 3: And in this week, in the latest episode of the Internet Never Loses. So a couple what was it last week? Last week there was a Marlin's Phillies baseball game, and there was a wholesome moment where a dad, a dad caught a foul ball and gave it to his son and was hugging his son. And it was kind of a cool father son moment. And then Karen, which I think that's her name, we're just gonna call her. Karen walks over to the guy and demands the ball and says that that's my ball, and the father's like, what are you talking about? It didn't it didn't you didn't have it. It wasn't yours. It came from the field.
Speaker 1: And she got right in his face.
Speaker 3: She got right in his face, yelling and screaming at him, and he was like, you know what, fine, just take the ball, take the ball and leave. Go, go go. And so she got the ball and she walked away all happy that the.
Speaker 1: Little boys to celebrating his tenth birthday.
Speaker 3: Yes, look on his face, yeah, he was so he was so deflated about it. Well it ends in a good story though, because after that happened the Marlins, even though he was a Phillies fan, the Marlins actually went up to there and gave him a goodie bag and gave him forgot about that. Yeah, he gave him a goodie bag of all kinds of Marlins gear and everything. And then after the game he got to go backstage or behind the scenes in the player's tunnel and meet Harrison Bader, the guy that hit the home run that the kid would have had, and he gave him a signed bat, a batch better than the ball. Yeah, totally. And and but here's the the best part about this. Though the Internet never loses, the Internet has went after this woman tried to figure her name out. I think they actually did figure her name out, but I don't know it, and we're not gonna say it on air here, But all of the memes that have been going out over this, it is so hilarious. Like, for one, they released a picture of a spirit Halloween costume and it was called Baseball Karen and it was literally a Karen haircut with glasses and a Phillies a shirt and a pair of ripped jeans and it says, ball not included. You can't tell me we're not going to see a kid come into the house on Halloween dressed in that. I would.
Speaker 1: I would.
Speaker 3: I would love to see that, to be honest, I would get I'd probably give them all my candy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then and then also somebody actually redid the the cover of Angels in the Outfield, a movie from Disney, and put Karen's in the outfield and put her picture on it, and then I see another picture of Charlie and what was that.
Speaker 1: Willy Way the original Willy.
Speaker 3: Walker when when Charlie pulls out the golden ticket and he's looking at it, somebody superimposed an image of the lady tapping him on the shoulders saying, give me back that golden ticket. Trouble, you took it from me.
Speaker 1: I saw another one with they, uh, you know, dogs play frisbee, you know, coster frisbee and the dogs will catch it, and it was her catching a frisbee and the dog jumping in the air next room with this surprised look on his face. Yep, it's just like you said. The Internet doesn't give up, and people have been really creative and some of these memes, the AI that they've created with this has been like, wait, did that really happen?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 1: What the heck is that?
Speaker 3: It's yeah, this is this is crazy, but there's so much it's so it's so entertaining. The Internet just never loses. I saw a basically uh an AI reenactment of it. Somebody posted the video to AI and said and said, I want you to redo this in the style of Lord of the Rings and so it showed the lady taking the ball from the guy, and then the camera artificially zooms in on her face as she's walking back to her seat, and the lady transforms into Gollum yes, and then takes the ball and looks at it and says, my precious.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing though, all right, and I'm gonna say it, maybe I'll get some hate, but it did look like the ball was right where she was.
Speaker 3: It landed the roque.
Speaker 2: It's called the spirit of baseball, right. Everybody knows if there's empty seats and a file ball comes, you're running over to try and get it right. Just every time a baseball goes into the stands, you have to expect it. Everybody's going for it.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing. She claims that she owned those seats in front of her, even though nobody was sitting there. She said, those were my seats. That's what she said, Those were my seats. Tough bleep, yeah exactly, Like I'm sorry nobody was sitting there. I don't care if you owned the whole stadium, like tough, the ball is there, nobody's there. It's it's first come, first served. But but the thing is is everybody's talking about this father, the one that got the ball for his son, and they're saying that took the.
Speaker 1: Ball out of his glove. Yeah, well I took He took the ball out of the glove and he handed it back to the lady and was like, get out of here.
Speaker 3: They're all saying the same thing. They're saying, the guy handled it. Well, the guy handled it with clasped, with dignity. He taught his son a lesson about how to just you know, deal with situations that arise like this and how to remain calm. And all I could keep thinking was I would not be handling it the same way.
Speaker 2: No way, man, I would not.
Speaker 3: God love this guy, but I will getting in that lady's face.
Speaker 2: You run up to me, put your hands on me, and start yelling at me. Oh yeah, oh that's a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is exactly what.
Speaker 3: We're gonna fight. We're gonna fight.
Speaker 1: I almost think she grabbed his arm.
Speaker 3: I don't know, she grabbed his arm and kind of pulled him over, and that's why he was like what what what? And he kind of like because he had his eyes closed and he woke up and he's like, well, whoa, what's going on? Because he was surprised, because who's grabbing my arm and pulling me away? Like she didn't get cold cocked? Oh, I mean that's what I was just about to say. I was like, if that was me and somebody pulled on my arm like that, I'd be like, bam, oh sorry.
Speaker 1: Imagine though, this little ten year old, even though that he was bummed out for for a bit, he's gotten much better than he would have got. I mean, the ball would be one cool thing, you know, but now he's got a bad he's got you got a chance to meet his favorite players.
Speaker 2: Off the spirit of baseball, right, It's like these things happen and to get the fans engaged. These are little things that help people remember the sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so ask you how long will it take the Internet to leave her alone?
Speaker 3: It was just, oh, they won't do every meme. It's she's canceled like literally hashtag it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: It's gonna it's gonna be a Phillies meme for the rest of the Phillies existence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even at the end of the year. Easily easily. I tell the other, the other the one that maybe kind of laugh was the the cold Play the guy who was at the cold Play concert that was obviously not doing what he should be doing, right, and he was hugging somebody that worked for him and they just looked too clot something or other. Yeah, they put they put her in his arms.
Speaker 3: In the Seriously, I gotta find that one.
Speaker 1: There's got to be a page dedicated to these beams. You know, something happens the next thing, you know, it's just like again it does not forget a very good point on that. All right, let's see if we get to if we get to Nancy's question really quick that she had, it.
Speaker 2: Better be about baseball. Nancy.
Speaker 1: It's not sorry, Nancy's in an old stomping ground, a ranchom arg She said. Help. You've mentioned in the past shows, and now I finally decided to take my music off my CDs. Is there a way to do this that I could do myself?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Built in built in really.
Speaker 2: When just the built in media player just rip click rip.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if she's running Mac or Windows, but it's say, if she's running Windows.
Speaker 2: Is there is the real question is does your computer have a CD drive?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, forgot about that point?
Speaker 2: Is it. Is it a laptop? Is it a desktop? Right? You can get portable USB CD drives. They're not. They're relatively inexpensive the Mac. The Mac super Drive will work on a PC if you have a Mac super Drive. But yeah, I mean you're looking at maybe spending thirty forty bucks on a USB CD drive that you can just pop.
Speaker 1: It makes one too pop in the.
Speaker 2: Disc you open up the media player. I'd have to look at it specifically. But that's how I did it. It's how I ripped allmine. I have a tower on the back with a CD drive in it. Dropped it in Rip hit rip. It takes six seven minutes to rip it out. It's connected to the internet. It'll pull down album information for you and everything you get. Rip go, rip go, rip go.
Speaker 1: No, I want to. I do want to recommend, though, if anybody is going to be doing this, not only save it on your your drive. You could save it to cloud if you have the cloud storage to do that.
Speaker 2: Drive it or get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean I guess you could, but or get a one TERRORBYT or two terrorbyte drive or even higher, depending on how many songs or how many CDs you have, and you could do that as well and be able to save that so that we always have a redundant copy, because nothing worse than doing all that work and then something happening to your computer and losing the hard drive and you lose all of those images or those the the audio.
Speaker 2: Windows Media Player, well rip so if Windows eleven, uh, Windows Windows Media Player VLC, you can also rip them from VLC.
Speaker 1: Oh. VLC is great. I've actually I had all these old flash videos, you know, shockwave Flash, and I was like, well, how am I ever going to look at these again? And then somebody said, well, wait, just use VLC. I had no idea VLC. Well, Bobby does it. I know that, but you got to pay for that VLC, don't.
Speaker 2: Vlc's the Swiss Army Nets, the Swiss Army Knife of the Internet, and that's what they call it. It'll play literally almost every video or audio FI you can think of that exists.
Speaker 1: I want to say again some time here, I've been delving deeper into Riverside FM, and I got to just say, that's the program we use. It's not an FM radio station. Riverside FM is what we're using for the video production of the show. We used to use well, we've used many over the years, but recently we were using Skype, and then we use Zoom, and then we would take Zoom and we'd put it into Opus clips and we would pay a lot for zoom in low quality. And we're not even talking you know standard.
Speaker 2: Don't like three sixty p.
Speaker 1: It was awful. It was like an old webcam and how people would take videos of this and then we would pay, you know, a fee per month to opis. We found Riverside does all of it, does editing, does the whole bit. But recently we had a situation and where on the show, and I got to figure out way I could post this. Uh, you guys, Amanda has been on the show. I cent her the video on it. We've been. She's been trying to get me to watch that new show you guys were talking about a few weeks ago, the one the musical that is on Netflix that everybody's talking about. Yeah, I still I still haven't seen it yet. Right. She every day is asked me, have you seen it yet? Have you seen it yet? So I said this with her. We did a show and I remember, Sean, you were in the back of the room. Uh, and we started the show and you had to run back to the microphone. And during that she started laughing. We were all laughing, and she said, you know, at least I didn't and she used an expletive, we can't say here, mess it up or she said, didn't do that this time, and it was like, okay, we just started from scratch. Well I still had that clip, so I put it in the Riverside FM and I took that bad word that she said that we can't repeat here, and I changed it to mess it. Ai took her voice, recreated it and replaced that word with the word mess and completely fixed it up.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: I tried it again on justin you said one a few weeks back, did the same thing. Yeah, completely cleaned it up and it was you can't even tell.
Speaker 3: I want to see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Riverside FM is is pretty amazing. And he will even clean up audio. So if you're doing audio, do transcriptions, you can do it. I can do a teller prompter on it. I mean the whole bit. So if you're looking for a program to use for doing any kind of podcasting or video, it can work for you.
Speaker 3: That sounds it's awesome. Hey, remember, uh, you know, I bought this the camera that I'm using right now this He asked me, what are you using? So it's the Sony A seven Mark four. I bought it last well, actually no, I bought it earlier this year. It is probably like April.
Speaker 2: Or something like that.
Speaker 3: M hm, no, no, I'm sorry, No, I bought it last last last anyway, yeah, last year. Yeah, I did great camera. It's a really nice mirrorless full frame camera. Got an extra lens on eBay that was really nice for it. Anyway, during that process, I registered the camera with Sony because you know, they're like, hey, extra warranty register you get a Sweepsteaks. Well I won a five hundred dollars gift card and I was like, wow, this is crazy. So I actually used it. I don't remember what I bought with it, but I bought some stuff. Anyway, Come fast forward to early July. I get another email from Sony Sweepstak saying, hey, you just want a gift card, a five hundred dollar gift card, and I'm like, wait, what can I win?
Speaker 1: Twice?
Speaker 3: So I responded back and said yeah, I'll take it, and they're like, okay, cool. Allow six to eight weeks.
Speaker 1: So what do you give with the five hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Well, this five hundred dollars, I actually just bought a new piece of tech and it's actually going to be here tomorrow. I bought a new three D printer.
Speaker 1: Oh, but now, what happened to your last one?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I still have it, but it's old. I mean it's like the one I had was an Ender three. It was kind of probably second generation of three D printers. I mean it was, you know, no no auto bed leveling, which is a big thing, only one piece of filament per I had to upgrade the crap out of it just to be able to make it work right, right, Anyway, this new one is much better. It's not quite as big as the end of three, but it does automatic bed leveling, which again is very very important. If you want your three D print to turn out proper, the bed that it rests upon has to be one level at all times, and so this will automatically do it for you, and so that's nice. Also, it's completely enclosed with its own filtration system, so I can do not only just PLA printing, which is kind of the weaker more hobbyist quality of filament. I can do ABS, which is more industrial strength. If I want to put some really good quality builds out there, I can use ABS, and I can use it in an enclosed space without having to worry about filtration.
Speaker 1: Wow. Pretty good stuff. So if you decided what's gonna be your first project.
Speaker 3: Uh, well, my first project is to figure out where I'm gonna put it. Because my old computer desk that I had had a nice little side area that I could have my three D printer on. But now with this new layout, I don't have anywhere that I can put a three D printer. So I am just not sure what I'm gonna do with it. But my first print in the bedroom yeah yeah, right, well the right in the kitchen table. Yeah, mice is gonna love that.
Speaker 1: What I used to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, So I think my first print that I'm gonna do, I think I'm gonna do probably some more like towel hangers, or like a doorstop for the house, because I got a bunch of doors in the house that we like to keep the windows open and the door's automatically shut because of the windflow. So having some more doorstops would be nice.
Speaker 1: But then I want to.
Speaker 3: Use it for just random random things I find on thing of verse and three D printable printables dot Com is another website. So yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Or we'll have to talk more about that next week on the show.
Speaker 2: The benefit is that somebody else has already designed it right, so you don't have design it like the That's that's the beauty of the Internet. You can just search for it cool, download the download the s A or whatever, the sl T, s TL, STL, yep, put it, put it in the slicer, print.
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly, and and and I don't have to worry about design, like you said, but if I want to, I might start dabbling an auto fusion or something like that.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, all right, we're gonna take another quick great week, come back with more of tech talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, all right'm sewing to weird and I'm justin Let me send us a message on Facebook at tech Talkers.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back and now factor tech talk Radio. Every week, Andy's always asking us, you guys got a website of the week, A website of the week, website, website, website, website, website, I Browns the same, like ten websites like every single day.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't go and scour the internet like Andy does. No, but I did. I actually came across a website that I wanted to share with you all. And if you are old school video gamers, I'm talking like Dossor or Windows ninety five or Windows ninety eight, there's a website that has digitally recreated the boxes for all of these video games that came out I think right now, as of now, he's got over one thousand boxes filling up his quote unquote nerd wall into shiny three D. So if you go to a website called Big Box Collection dot com again, it's Big Boxcollection dot com. These games back in the day, back in Windows ninety five, Windows ninety eight, they came out in these like basically like dictionary sized boxes. That's huge. They were huge. I mean they were like, yeah, like dictionaries. So what he's done is he's taken all of these old video games and digitally scan them, and you can actually move the box around and if it has like one of those opening cover flaps, you can actually open the cover flap and look at it. But he has scanned everything, not just the front and back, but it is a full three D rendering of all like over a thousand different classic games like Privateer. My God, there's Hecks, There's Diablo, Wizard Warriors, the original Doom.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite? Did you have a favorite box?
Speaker 3: I'd have to say, well, Diablo. Diablo two was really really cool, I'd have to say otherwise, besides that grand Theft out of Vice City for me was this different because it had all these cartoon looking characters on the front of it, but it was just such an unimposing box. But when you actually played the game, you're like, oh, my god.
Speaker 1: To of mine, to of mine, need for speed And then I even put this on my wall at the station that I worked at, Redneck Rampage. Oh oh yeah, I just absolutely loved that one.
Speaker 3: They even have the original Zork like Zork, which was Did you have.
Speaker 2: Favor Diablo too? The Diablo, the Diablo series books boxes are really cool. I mean I still have my Diablo two boxes.
Speaker 1: Right, So, what's a website address? Again?
Speaker 3: One last time? It is Big Boxcollection dot Com.
Speaker 1: All right, that's it for this week's Tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 2: I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm Justin.
Speaker 3: Let me find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com. Have yourselves great week. We'll see you