Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: They used to be the cardinal and there was a Cardinal Cicola that was elected pope, and when it turned out that he was going to be known as Pope Sicola, it just didn't work out.
Speaker 3: That's actually funny. And now Handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handle. Good morning everybody. It is a Tuesday morning, April twenty two, and a lot going on today. We've got Pope news, Pope Sicola news. We have a couple other things I want to share with you. First to quick Hello, Will Coleschreiber, Good morning Will, Good morning Bill. Are you munching on a slice of pizza? How did you know that? Because it looked like a slice of pizza? Are you aware that it's six o'clock in the morning. It's is good anytime of day. That's true. Actually, actually that's true. Pizza's pizza? Now? Is that cold pizza? Or is that heat it up? See? I never understood cold pizza. People love cold pizza. I don't get it. Pizza chicken. I like cold fried. Cold fried chicken is great. I just don't get cold pizza. I don't. But then again, different strokes for different people. All right, So good morning to Will and good morning. Oh AND's looking there? You look bored as hell? Why could you look because you look bored? Okay, good, I feel better, Neil, good morning whatever. Yeah exactly, I know you are. How did I start? When we went on? Said hello to each other before the show? What? What did I ask? What did I tell you? So?
Speaker 1: Is the show over yet? Or you said the show is almost over?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly what I said. Coda, good morning, Yeah exactly. And Amy, there you are, Hi, feel good morning, good morning. There you go. All right, before we get started, Oh just a quick let me tell you what happened to me yesterday. I was taking my walk and I walked past sort of an open field, that kind of thing. And as I'm walking and I'm on the sidewalk and there's the fields to my left or am I right? In that case, I was going the other way, and there is a bobcat maybe twenty feet away. As I'm walking. The bobcat is walking parallel to me, and we're looking at each other, and he did not move a muscle other than following me as I was walking I looked at him, he looked at me. He went hmm, okay, and then he sauntered off. Now, bobcats are about the size of a medium sized dog. Lions, I wouldn't be here to talk about this if I ran into a mountain lion. Who is it? P one? P. Twenty two. That's way down the list. Yeah, that's what P. Twenty two is, way down on the list of people who listening to KFI. Uh. P one and two was pretty good, but when you start going that low, miserable. Okay. The other thing is Pope Francis is lying in state there. He is parked in the box uh for everybody to see. He is going to be buried on Saturday, which is kind of interesting. And he's not going to get buried in the crypt under the church under Saint in the Basilica, which normally most popes are. You go down there and then they are, you know, lined up underneath, you know, in the crypt. No, he's going to get buried in a local church that used to go to pray in all the time, and no ornate caskets at all for him. A pine box, a pine box, I think. Yeah, he's a very humble man. He really really was, and that was his will. They talked about his will, and I guess it doesn't even a lot. They don't leave a lot, do they. Pope's. Do popes even get a salary? I don't think they do. I don't think pope get a paycheck, but they get housing in three meals a day. Yeah. Well, in his case, obviously a lot more than that. He's a pretty good sized guy, but still very very simple guy. Okay, all right, quick factoid? How much does the president make president of United States? Do do do? Do? Do? Do do? Yeah? Two fifty four hundred really four hundred thousand dollars a year? When Abraham Lincoln was president, how much did he get paid? Twenty five thousand dollars in those days, equivalent over five hundred thousand dollars today. So the president actually is receiving less money than Lincoln did relative to buying power. Although Mary Todd Lincoln just pissed away every dime that they eat, either of them had, I mean, he completely broke and what else. Other factoids. It used to be two hundred thousand dollars a year until George W got to raise to four hundred thousand dollars a year. He doubled his salary. Wow, yeah, president doubled his salary. Yeah, I mean the president's salary is like relative to right. Can you imagine running a a four or six trillion dollar bureaucracy and getting four hundred grand a year? Yeah? I don't think that's why they do it. You know how much JFK got? No, one hundred thousand dollars. Do you know how much he actually kept? Would he actually charged the government? None of it? One dollar? Trump did that his first term. Don't they a free room and board and all that, and food? Yeah? Uh huh, But they buy their own food and toothpastees. You know that they buy their own food unless it's the state dinner. But unless it's a formal dinner, but the stuff upstairs the family has. Yeah, they buy their own food. Government does not pay for their food.
Speaker 4: So Kono says that the pope does get or can get a stipend each month.
Speaker 3: They CONO just looked it up. Do we know how much that is? Thirty two thousand a month? Come on what it says? Oh? Come on? Both Francis deferred it though he either give it to two grand a month. According Holy moly, Hey Siri, Oh boy, we had to fling this out. Hey Siri, series just does the same thing I do. Does the pope receive a monthly salary or stipend? Uh? The pope receives a monthly God, I didn't know that. I would thought I would think that they don't. Wow. His estimated net worth is two point five million dollars.
Speaker 1: Holy that's just the shoes.
Speaker 3: So much for that pledge of poverty. Yeah, I don't think. I don't think he pays for his own shoes. You know, he Isn't he wearing different shoes than other popes too? I think he's wearing I think he's wearing Converse, He's wearing something. It's uh.
Speaker 4: It seemed like a pretty humble guy in that sense. I don't think he wore.
Speaker 5: The big well they when they lay in state, they have those big red, weird shoes.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I don't mean to offend any Catholics. It's just strange to me. I mean, and he pays for nothing. I'm looking at this. What that's basically.
Speaker 4: You you make a lot of money and you pay for nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's the whole point though, that's the whole He's in the same position. If you're in radio. If you're in radio, if you don't get it free, you don't need it. If you're a pope and you don't get it free, you don't need it. Although the Pope doesn't have two daughters that have credit cards, either in your name, or maybe he does and we don't know about it, that's a rumor I don't want to start. I have no problem starting the rumor that JD. Vans killed the Pope, which, by the way, did you see the memes yesterday? They went berserk on social media, So I don't mind that rumor. But I'm not going to argue that Pope Francis was anything other than a good guy, good pope.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it's interesting too that he wants He specifically said he wanted to not be up on like a pedestal like other popes have been as they lie in state.
Speaker 3: He wanted to be in the coffin. That was his instruction. Yes, I think that's interesting too. Well, yeah, I mean you know the other ones, those pedestal business. You know, they put him up in there, and well I told you yesterday, Pope John Paul the second was he was up on a pedestal and if you remember he died in July I think it was. And man, they kept him up there for a while and it was not pleasant, it really wasn't. I mean, he was falling apart. Now, it was very, very difficult.
Speaker 5: Is that just so people can go and their respects?
Speaker 3: Is that what they do? Yeah? I've never understood to pay the respects. It's you know, it's a thing there, you know, I mean, your soul, if you have one, is gone. That spark of life is not there. Basically you're a piece of meat. And yeah, and they should have a price per pound at the bottom of the casket. All right, let's take a break. We're coming up. Okay, Catholics you can reach. Why don't you send all your emails to Neil on that one.
Speaker 4: Okay, Catholics are smart enough to know not to give a rat's ass about anything that comes out of your pie hole, sir, excellent.
Speaker 3: All right, let's do it. Handle on the news with Amy Neil and me lead story La Mayor Karen will never be elected mayor again. Bess proposed her budget. It's a billion dollar shortfall, it's a deficit in the twenty twenty five twenty six fiscal year. She said, we're in good shape. The city is doing well except for the sixteen hundred employees that are going to be fired. Then the city is not doing so well and various programs and departments will be cut like crazy. There's just no money.
Speaker 4: What's that about four of the workforce for the city.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe if we were rent, what do we.
Speaker 4: Have about the fifty sixty thousand people working for Yeah, it's just it's so.
Speaker 3: I mean, it is bloated. The fire department is expected to go up thirteen percent. You bet, you're a sweet ass. Yeah, that's fine. That you know what's nuts?
Speaker 4: She stated, Turmoil and uncertainty from Washington and a slowing economy are causing lower revenue projections to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. Okay, okay, what about the fact that the vast majority of this is going down in tax collection the city revenue that sales tax have slowed and city business taxes slowed well, city business taxes slowed because you can't do business in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: It is I mean, the bureaucracy is is very crazy, but a lot of it if not her fault. She can't control the big guy, the big economy of this country that he takes a fount of political leaders.
Speaker 1: Then you know what the fires and dealing with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't. She's not blamed for starting the fires. And I don't think anybody's arguing, do we hold anybody accountable? Well, you do, because the buck stops here, right the bucks. It's the buck stops here at Harry Truman on his desk. Uh. And that is she's not being blamed for starting the fires, or even she's not being blamed for somehow getting in the way of the fires or they're putting out of the fires or dealing with them. She's blamed for going to be in Ghana where that's going to cost her her job. I think that one alone, and also mismanagement. You know what pisses me off about this? You got Caruso, right, Rick Caruso, who spent one hundred million dollars of his own money, eminently qualified. They both campaign basically on the same issues, homelessness. She wins the mayor's race because of her political connections, because she's tied into the democratic machinery. We don't elect officials because of competence. That just doesn't happen anywhere anymore. This was just a political election because she knew everybody. The machinery came out, and you had a season business person who said, I'm going to help run this city because the bureaucracy needs some kind of legitimate leadership. Nope, let's elect a liberal who has never run anything business wise in her life. All right, moving on.
Speaker 5: Moving on, Yes, I need to go back to the beginning. So sorry lost my place. It's Harvard versus the White House. Harvard University has filed the lawsuit to stop the Trump administration from freezing two billion dollars in federal grants two point two billion in grants, and of course, the administration announced that they were holding up that funding because Harvard said, nah, we're not going to go along with your demands to limit activism. The administration wanted Harvard to change its admissions policies, remove DEI programs, crackdown on anti Semitism, and also crackdown on pro Palestinian protesters. The Harvard president, Alan Garber, said the university would not bend to demands, and just hours later, the government froze billions of dollars in funding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the argument is what is the funding for research for medical technological technological research have to do with this? And again in goes the argument in front of the courts. Does the government have a right to say to a private institution you must do a B, C, D and E. Now it does have a right to say you can't discriminate under Title seven for example. But we'll see what the courts have to say. Again, the fight is how much power does the administration have. Oh, here's the story Washington.
Speaker 4: The Education Department will begin collecting collections next month on student loans that are in default. So this includes the you know, all the basics, garnishing of wages. This is potentially millions of borrowers. Currently, roughly five point three million ball borrowers are in default on their federal student loans. If you remember, back in March of twenty twenty, when COVID hit, there was a massive amount of leniency about.
Speaker 3: Paying Yeah moratorium. Yeah, moratorium is still in place, and the Trump administration is saying that's enough, guys. You know, how about paying back your bills? How about paying back the amount of money that you owe. I'm going to do more about that at eight fifty and here in Well, it's a little more complicated. It's it's always more than just a yes or no. But I'm going to dive into a little deeper. And this one, I'm going to take the side of the Trump administration. That's coming up at eight fifty.
Speaker 5: Wait, you're going to take the side of the Trump administration. Mark that down?
Speaker 3: Everybody? Yeah, nobody, you know I yeah, Okay, mark that down. I'm taking the side of the Trump administration. This just in snowballs in hell. Okay, let's do one more. The ABC's of breaking up Google.
Speaker 5: Problems continue for Alphabet, It's back in court trying to prevent the breakup of its Google search empire.
Speaker 3: The fate of Google's search.
Speaker 5: Engine is in the hands of federal Judge Amit Meta, who ruled in August that Google illegally monopolized online markets for general search and general search text. The Justice Department is now asking the judge to break up Google by forcing it to sell off Chrome and maybe it's Android operating system.
Speaker 3: More on that one when we talked to ABC News technology reporter Mike Dubuski, And that's coming up at eight o'clock. This morning. All right, happierday everybody.
Speaker 4: For the fifty to fifth year, the world is using the data celebrate mother Nature, how you mom, your mom nature, and this wonderful planet we live on, so symbol of the environmental movement, all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Go to earthday dot org if you want to know more.
Speaker 4: And it's been a day and is a day that acknowledges our planet, Yes, provides for us.
Speaker 3: That's true. And by the way they're going, it's gonna be celebrated by those twelve people who have died in the last couple of days because of the storms. Accidentally, I'm gonna do a story about this coming up at where is it seven twenty about Earth Day. You know, it was created by Richard Nixon, came under his tutelage. He signed onto it, and that's Richard Nixon. The on Earth Day, he signed public the first time the US government actually proclaimed that the Earth was round. We were a little bit backward until then. I'm going to talk more about this.
Speaker 4: Have you seen the all the You go back and you watch the original Earth Day and the things they said, We're going to happen to the planet in ten years, fifty five years, ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the only state with the s. Yeah. The only thing the scientists were wrong about was the speed at which climate change was going to wipe out everything.
Speaker 4: I'm still looking for those bastards that created the first ice age, in the melting of the first ice age with all those factories people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I got it. It's just fine. We're just moving on. That's not worth commenting on.
Speaker 5: Okay, thirty minutes till the next shooting. Every thirty minutes, an emergency department treats another weapons injury. That's according to a new analysis from researchers at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. They looked at ten different jurisdictions, including the District of Columbia. The report shows that there were more firearm injuries presented at night, on the weekends, and on holidays, especially Independence Day and New Year's Day.
Speaker 3: It's going to get much much better because there will be no researchers next year at the CDC. As a matter of fact, there will be no CDC that can issue these reports to us, So kickback. We're gonna be fine starting next year. It's crazy the amount of gun violence we have in this country. It's like beyond comprehension traveling in Europe. They just don't understand how we work. They don't get it. It's not even a moral judgment as to the weapons that we have in this country. And they don't understand the Second Amendment. They just don't get it. They just sit there and just shake their heads perplexed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is interesting talking to people in Europe, like are there guns everywhere?
Speaker 3: I'm like yeah, and you go, yes, yes, there are guns everywhere. You consider weird if you don't have one. I don't. Okay, how about this? So are we going to go rocking and walking around? I don't know if you feel like saying I don't have a weapon, Neil, do you have a weapon on me right now? Well? Now I'm not talking about you know, I'm not talking about going down and saying that's my weapon. This is my weapon, this is my gun. Uh No, we're not not that kind of weapon. Do not have one on my person? Current? Oh? Thank you? That answers Amy, Do you have a weapon at home? I do not have a concealed carry permit. Wo see how everybody is dancing around this one? Wow? Cono gun at home? Had a boy? Oh good, God, thank everybody. Need to say anything, buddy, I understand that. So here I am okay, I'm by myself. Thank you will yes or no? Um? Okay, you've answered that question, boy, and answer and you're my last hope. Yes or no? How would you say? Don't come to my house? One of us? One of us? Thank you? Kamala okay. For those people that are thinking of breaking into my house, I just want to point something out. I may not have a weapon, but I have four German shepherds that are trained to eat you and weener dogs. And I have Lindsay, who you do not want to get into a fight, all five foot three, one hundred and ten pounds of her. You do not want to deal with it. He will throw her at you, right in your face. Yes, it's true. Actually she'll throw me at you, push.
Speaker 1: Her wheelchair right into your shins.
Speaker 3: Moving on, all right.
Speaker 4: Scott Peterson did he didn't he? After investigating the case for more than a year, the Los Angeles Innocence Project has filed voluminous evidence it says that show Scott Peterson did not murder his wife an unborn son in twenty twenty two. They say they've got four hundred pages, a four hundred page petition to the California Court of Appeals. They filed it just this Friday, so they're they're really pushing on this. He's now fifty two years old. He was a rested and charged with first degree murder and the death of his wife and second degree murder in the death of his unborn son, and a jury found him guilty following a six month trial in twenty two thousand and four.
Speaker 3: Rather, yeah, they're claiming prosecutorial misconduct as well as certain amount of evidence I should have been presented that was not or newly discovered evidence when the Innocence Project jumps in, You know what, they don't frivolously jump into these things. I think that they are their success and overturning is astronomical. All right, let's say break the Los Angeles group. Yeah, but it's all part of the same larger group is kind of stood away from this. Barry Shank matter of fact, who started that and then he ended up on the OJ defense, which I don't get.
Speaker 5: All right, the friendly Skuys are about to become the safer Skuys. So there's this aviation safety system that has failed twice in the last three years and cause the only airspace shutdown since nine to eleven. It's going to be replaced ahead of schedule. The NOOTAM system, it's a notice to airmen system was supposed to be replaced by twenty thirty, but now the FAA says the new moderate modernized system will be online by September. The FAA says it cut through red tape to get the critical work done as fast as possible.
Speaker 3: That doesn't happen very often when they're ahead of schedule, because the FAA, I mean, our flight control systems have been just an utter disaster for years and years, all right, new sum to the rescue.
Speaker 4: Of course, California residents are now eligible to buy what basically is narcan and it's used to treat opioid over doses for twenty four dollars through the state's prescription website cal rx. This comes as gab Newsom office said that this is important life saving medications shouldn't come with a life altering price tag and cal r rex is about making essential drugs like this afford a pole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and who's going to argue with this? By way, the twenty four dollars pay payment for two doses exactly what the state pays. So they're passing it on at dead costs and people's lives are saved big time with this when you overdose on opiate's and it's magic. I mean, it turns it around instantly as you're dying.
Speaker 5: Trump, well, his tweet or whatever you call it these days, triggered a massive sell off on Wall Street. So yesterday Trump tweets or posts on social says, with these costs trending so nicely down, we're you talking about the economy, He said, just what I predicted they would do. There can be there's almost no inflation, but there will be a slowing of the economy unless mister too Late, a major loser, lowers interest rates. Now and he was talking about Jerome Powell. Powell, and that's markets into it down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, market is up though right now, and it's just opened up, you know, just a half an hour ago, but it's up five hundred and thirty points, so it's coming back. It's just bouncing all over the place. And uh, the President wants to fire Powell. And if he does, if he is successful in firing Powell, the whole world market is going to reel on this. Uh. And by the way, I don't even know whether Powell deserves to be fired or not. That's a different issue. But just the uncertainty of what's going on is killing. The IMF just came out and the International Monetary Fund and just said, uh, you know, the market, the world economy is slowing down and will continue to do so because of this the terra force.
Speaker 5: I wonder if there's anybody around Trump now who says, you know, mister President, maybe don't send that tweet out, like.
Speaker 3: Uh, you don't know. And then the issue is, you know, is the president now going to run the FED? Is he going to make monetary policy in addition everything else, because the FED has always been independent. The president chooses the FED chair. As a matter of fact, Paul is chosen by Trump. But I think it's a six year term if I'm not mistaken, or an eight year term, and you can't get fired unless it's for cause. Okay, Moving on the White House.
Speaker 4: Just this past Friday morning launched a new website and this kind of focuses deep dive on the theory that the coronavirus that caused COVID nineteen was human made, that leaked from an infectious disease laboratory in Wuhan, China. Now, of course, at the beginning of this year, you have the CIA issuing a report that concluded the lab leak was likely, but with low confidence. If you remember, we talked about that, and similar conclusions have been made from the Energy and State departments as well. But this particular website takes the lab leak theory even further than most of those reports, saying that the virus possesses a biological characteristic not found in nature.
Speaker 3: And when you talk about a lab week, you know where that lab was, Wuhan, China, And you know who actually created who created this virus? Hillary Clinton when she was visiting China.
Speaker 4: I think I think it's pronounced China, Yes, sir, I don't mean to correct you.
Speaker 3: But anyway, so, I mean, no one knows at this point, no one really knows it's you know, was it a an animal? Was it a civic cat? Was it? You know, did come out the local Kentucky Fried bat store? You know when near Wuhan? Who who the hell knows?
Speaker 5: Khalil's kid has arrived without him. The Department of Homeland Security denied Mahmoud Khalil's permission to be there for the birth of his first child. Of course, he is the guy who's a legal permanent resident, who is a prominent figure in pro Palestinian administrations at Columbia University. He's been detained in Louisiana for more than a month, and they put in the request saying, hey, can he please go and be there for the birth of his child?
Speaker 3: And they said no. You do want to get on the wrong side of this administration. You get on their radar, you're I think you're in a lot of trouble, especially if you fall in the line of illegal immigrant, which he is not, by the way, he is a I think he's a Green card holder if I'm not mistaken or yeah, I think a legal permanent resident, which the government can take away. They can take away that status. So of course that's going to court too. What isn't going to court?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would not want to be an illegal alien with.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The only thing that absolutely protects you is a US passport. That is the last straw. Even though the president has said he wants to deport US citizens to l Salvador, which is kind of difficult to do. But you don't want to be on the wrong end. And the courts are upholding, especially under the alienis Edition Act, and the governmental powers, the ability of the government to go much further than any government ever has. One of the things about this administration is test. It is testing the powers of the presidency.
Speaker 1: There's not some US citizens you wouldn't want to deport.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there are plenty. But where you going to deport them to? Well, you're a US citizen, Okay, you're a me. You can deport me to Brazil because that's where I come from. And I am a Brazilian citizen just by virtue of being born there. I could be deported. But the only way I could lose my citizenship is because of fraud in obtaining my citizenship. That they can take away your citizenship. But short of that, you were born in this country. Where are we going to deport you to? Even though you richly deserve to be deported, Where are you going to put you? Well, there's a lot of really nice places. Yeah. L Salvador who has agreed to take anybody from the US as long as L. Salvador gets paid, Well, I like Apoo says, there you go all right, one, more magic.
Speaker 4: Rush rooms, unsuper unsupervised use of psilocybin, or what we refer to as magic mushrooms. It's been accelerating, and especially here in the United States among adolescents and people thirty and older in this new study. So you're talking about that. People talk about micro dosing and things like that, but more and more people are calling for you know, poison control and the like from overdosing or having issues with it. You know, they sort of have been a little more lax about it. But adults, you know, since twenty twenty three, it's been higher estimates for co than cocaine or illicit opioid use or methanphetamines.
Speaker 3: It's on the rise, all right, But I don't do magic mushroom, so I don't care. Okay, guys, you can magic mushroom. You're away through life if you want, all right, KF I am six. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.