Speaker 1: If I have to think about the twenty twenty eight to twenty twenty thirty two cycle, I think the narrative of that cycle is going to be the pivot from AI back to bitcoin. There's a bottleneck in compute right now. I'm not bearish AI, but over time, I think the bottleneck does get resolved. So if you're running a data center, you want your utilization to be at the highest rate it can be. If that bottleneck does kind of break up, maybe there's more competition for those inference contracts, right so that drives now the revenue can get from down. I think that starts to kind of pivot back to a bitcoin.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by I Trust Capital. I Trust Capital allows you to invest in crypto as well as precious metals like gold and silver via an IRA and this gives you huge tax advantages, so you can invest in over ninety crypto assets including bitcoin, etherorem x, or pie, Solana, and many more. You also get access to stable coins such as certain USDC and ripples r L USD. And as it relates to precious metals, you can invest in gold and silver and these are the physical assets, so you're not investing in paper gold and silver, So on this platform you can redeem the gold and silver if you choose to, and not many platforms offer that. Now, the big advantage to investing via I trust Capital's IRA is the huge tax advantages. Many of you know you incur capital gains taxes when you sell at a gain. Well, you can minimize the effect of some of that by doing it via an IRA, especially if you have a long term view on crypto as well as precious metals, and you can buy and sell crypto in precious metals twenty four to seven. It's low cost and a monthly feet So this is a great option to get exposure to these two great asset classes. And in addition, they have a great custody solution. It's called Premium custody account, so it uses institutional great crypto custody such as coinbas Prime, which black Rock leverages. I Trust also uses fidelity digital assets as well as fireblocks, and it's a closed loop system so if someone hacks it to your account, they can't withdraw funds. I believe this is the second safest way to custody your assets, right behind self custody, where you control the private keys and within the custody account you could buy and sell twenty four to seven. It's low fees, so this is a great option for custody of your assets and you can sleep at night knowing that you're getting the institutional grade custodial services. So once again, two great products here from I Trust Capital, the IRRA where you can roll over your existing four one K or IRA to I Trust Capitalist version, getting the huge tax advantages and the institutional custody and folks, if you sign up with my link at I Trustcapital dot com slash go slash Thinking Crypto, you could get one hundred dollars funding bonus. I have an account with I Trust Capital, so I encourage you to go check out I Trust Capital, learn about their services and see if it's right for you. Again, you can get one hundred dollars funding bonus by signing up via my link, which is I Trustcapital dot com slash go slash Thinking Crypto will be in the description. Hey, folks, welcome into the Thinking Crypto podcast. I'm Tony Edward and we're recording at Station three in New York's Financial District. And joining me is Jim Ferrioli, who's the head of crypto Research at Charles Schwap. Prior to joining Schwap, Jim spent over a decade at Morgan Stanley, where he was a mid cap equity portfolio manager and cryptocurrency strategist. Jim, great to have you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: So Jim, where do you hail from and how did you make your way into tradify working at Morgan Stanley.
Speaker 1: So, I'm a New Jersey guy. I was born in northern New Jersey. I live there now, you know. I grew up there. I started my career in finance at Morgan Stanley. I actually started as a financial advisor, you know, and eventually spent the better half of my career so far at that firm. Eventually I was in the CIO office, I was running a MidCap portfolio, and I was also doing the crypto research. Last summer I joined Schwab to build out their crypto research. As Schwab was beginning to in the process of building out their crypto trading platform and after having a pretty big presence within the ETP space about twenty percent of the spot ETP assets those actually come from Schwab clients, and so with the launch of crypto trading. They wanted to bring someone in who could actually cover the asset class for the firm.
Speaker 2: Where along your journey did you discover crypto? All was fascinated by folks origin story around bitcoin and so forth. What was your aha moment?
Speaker 1: So classic New Jersey stereotypes, as we were just talking offline. Earlier in my twenties, I rented a house down the shore in Manasquan and so I first heard of bitcoin in the summer of twenty twelve. It was trading between six and nine dollars ever your time. Unfortunately I did not invest in bitcoin at the time, but it had gone on it That was one of the early bull runs. It was all over CNBC and so I kind of looked into it and said, like, what is this bitcoin thing? Should I buy some? And then you know, I actually saw it, So you have to get this thing called a wallet. There's like this exchange in Japan you can buy it on. And it was like, all right, never mine, you know, and I didn't really think about it much. And then fast forward a few years later. It was the kind of twenty seventeen bull run, and it went from about three thousand dollars to about eighteen thousand dollars. I was in business school at the time. I was working at Morgan Stanley, and you know, there was this four bull run and it was starting to get attention from financial advisors and different people on Wall Street. You know, you were hearing about it in the news, and I was a pretty big skeptic, and I said, like, this is fake internet money. There's nothing here. It's some of the I went to. There were several electrical engineers from Connet and that I went to business school with. And if you recall, a lot of the early people that were interested in crypto were more of the engineering and so a bunch of them they had acquired it. They got it early on and they were like, yeah, we have this thing called bitcoin. One guy was like I have six of them. A wow, you got to sell that, you know, that's tuition, Like what are you doing? Like this is fake money. And it was funny because you know, that market played itself out. There was the correction, but then after that I was like, you know, this was you know, six dollars in twenty twelve, it reached eighteen thousand dollars. Even after the bear market. I was like, I should like this is interesting, like what's going on, And so that's what I actually started to learn a bit more about it get interested about it. In twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, twenty twenty, I started working in the Morgan Stanley CIO office. My colleague had begun actually publishing crypto research for that firm in twenty eighteen, and so we were on the same team and it was an area was interested in. I'm more of a growth investor, right, so I always wanted to you know, kind of learn about the technology things like that, and so that was really the interest from my side, and so I kind of went to him and said like, hey, you know, I'd love to get involved. And you know, in corporate America, if you offer to help anyone, they're never going to say no. You know, here's a laundry list of things I don't want to do. You know, do these for me. And so over the years that's kind of how it built. But that that was where the interest came from. Really understanding like the interest from a technology investing perspective. I think it's a really interesting technology and it's kind of to have been following the space for several years it's I think it's really interesting to see where we are now because forever people always talked about like, oh, once like bitcoin gets adopted, once blockchain technology gets adopted, and now we're actually like, this is the moment financial institutions across the world are actually not just offering crypto products to their clients, but like trying to adopt the technology. So it's it's I think it's a really interesting time and that's really kind of what where my interests stemmed from. Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And to your point, you know, for a while, a lot of people were like, what are these coins? It looked like scams, but they were missing the technology piece, and I think to your point, that's where people are like having that aha moment, Oh, we can actually build on these blockchains. We can put the markets on the blockchains, and all the incredible innovation that's happening now.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's funny. So even if as late as early twenty twenty four before the Genius Act passed, it passed in the summer of or sorry, summer twenty twenty five, Genius Act passed so early in twenty twenty five, people would say, like stable coins, there's still nothing there and as soon as that legislation passed, you know, it was kind of like this this light bulb turned on because then financial institutions were like, well, we can use this, we can do something with this, and like the use case was clearly there, it was just you didn't have this kind of broad mainstream adoption outside of kind of your crypto user. And so I think it's very much the same, like once you kind of see that there is a path. People have understood the frictionless technology of blockchain for many years, and so I think it's the same thing. We saw it work with stable coins and now we're seeing tokenizing real world assets that it's like there's clearly something here, there are benefits to it, and so I think that's the story.
Speaker 2: And do you think the connection is being made by institutions and retail investors that you have blockchain, but you have the coins, and that they're one in a sense that you can bet on the blockchain by holding the coin. I think that distinction was not clear for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's actually what I love about it. So having an equities background, if you are going to invest in AI, right, how do you invest in AI? You buy Nvidia right now, maybe you buy a memory stock like Micron, right you buy a hyperscaler. You're not actually investing in AI. You're investing in a company that either produces a product or a component that's used in building these systems. And that's what I love about the blockchain aspect, where if you're buying the token, you're actually it's directly this is how you actually interact with the infrastructure itself, So you're actually investing in the technology itself. And so again, yeah, if if you think that there's something here, you think the adoption is going to grow, you actually by having that interest in the token like that, that's the direct exposure to it. If there's more demand, there's more growth on these networks, there's going to be more demand for their native currencies, and so I that's that's why I think it's interesting from an investment standpoint.
Speaker 2: Pardon the interruption. Hi, I'm Tony. I'm the host of the Thinking Crypto podcast. I wanted to ask you if you can please support the podcast by hitting the like button subscribing. If you haven't as yet, you can leave a comment below as well. And if you're listening on a podcast platform such as Spotify, Apple or wherever you get your podcasts. Please be sure to follow and hit the five star rating. I'll let you get back to the content. Thank you so much. Yeah, it's fascinating because for the first time ever you can invest in a protocol. You know, you go back to your early days of the Internet, you couldn't invest in t c ip per se. Obviously you can invest in Internet companies, Google and so forth. But for the first time you can have access to the protocol.
Speaker 1: It's interesting and I think it's it provides a different lens of investing too, because I don't know how much of the value of the Internet would have kind of accrued to like that core structure. But I do think blockchains, it's not it's different, obviously different than the Internet, and to continue to interact on them, you need to have their tokens and so like, there is a way of monetizing that to an extent. But I also do think that there's a lot of layer one blockchains and you certainly don't need that many layer onelection So you're right, there's there's been a couple couple proven business models or you know, protocol models, whatever you want to call them because they're not all technically businesses that have emerged, and that's resulted in a lot of copycats. Right, So layer one blockchain, people know, is like a proven idea at this point, and so you have you have so many and I don't know if there's really that much happening. Actually I do know there's not much happening outside of the large ones, and so I think that's the difference, like that you have a lot of like every year there's a new decks, like a new centralized exchange, and it's like, this is a model that we know that works, so we're going to just kind of keep recreating it. And so I think you need some consolidation there. I think it needs to look like kind of more traditional industries, right like you have in any other industry, there's essentially like two or three large players and that a bunch of specialized ones. I think layer one blockchain should look like that. I think kind of as you get broader defied development on chain finance, whatever you want to call it now Web three, I'm actually still a big Web three bowl, you know. Again, I think like you'll have kind of different areas like lending, maybe trading, social if that ever comes back, right, and there will be like two or three leaders and then some specialized players, and I think it's just gonna look like kind of every other industry. Where again that's in general the kind of the industry.
Speaker 2: Makeup that absolutely makes sense because to your point, there's so many brock coins out there, it's hard to keep up. I believe on coin market caps in that thousands now or probably more so hard. Question let's say, is that consolidation ten years from now, do you think it's going to be twenty blockchains that are primarily being used across the globe by different industries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. If I don't even know, yeah, maybe maybe twenty is a fair enough because I think there will always be the specialized blockchain and it's gonna have it. It's very specific use case. I mean, if I think of the current makeup right in public blockchains right now, ethereum is obviously the largest, so it's got the leading market share, solonas emerging as the higher transaction speed may be geared more for trading, right. I think it's interesting if you look at real world assets token is that sets most of that's on ethereum. You look at Solana, right, Solana kind of the primary use case has been mean coins to date, but it did serve it as kind of a good test case that they can't that the infrastructure can handle a lot of high frequency trading things like that, the high but you say, like active trading, and so again, now the use case appears to be moving towards that, and so you know, again like the everyone's going to find their niche, maybe Ethereum to the general purpose smart contract platform. Solana might be more geared towards trading. And then you have Tron, which is really a pure poly stable, a staple cooin network at this way, and so so I think again it's it's already moving in that direction. XRP Ledger is making the shift from kind of a payments network to more of a stable coin transaction network. And then the dt CC, you know, they they announced that they're working with a lot of different block changes because it's it's so big, and you know, they actually announced their work with Stellar, right, and so again I think it's kind of already in that the winners have clearly been established, and so I think like there's some clear losers that have been established. You know Cardano launched, it was supposed to be in this competitive ethereum, and it's just it's not really no disrespect because I'm sure a lot of effort went into building it, right, but it just it hasn't captured shair. There's not really much going on, and so I think it's it that that shift's already happening, and so maybe there'll be twenty layer ones, but I'd say majority of the activity is going to be on kind of like maybe the top four, top three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's just a natural part of the business cycle in the free market, right, and the clear winners and losers. You know, I think a bit of the search engine wars in the early nineties we had ax, Geves, Lykos and some other random search engines will Google, Yahoo, and I believe m a sen where the three leaders that came out of that, and Google now just dominates for the most part.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The best thing about the search engine thing is we've actually gone a full circle with asked Jeeves. You actually had to you were asking you questions, and now you know, with the prevalence of kind of ll ms, we're back to asking the Internet questions, which which is kind of fun. But I also think that's an interesting analogy because you had in the late nineties, you had the emergence of all these companies. You had the dot com bubble and a big bear market, and following that then you got really great tech companies that are now some of the biggest companies today Google, Netflix, And so it's not too dissimilar as to what's going on right now, because you know, if we were talking this time last year, no one saw, you know, thought the baker market was going to wipe out. You know, people would be leaving the crypto industry who'd been building, you know, for the past decade, right, But that's happened, and and and it's you know, recessions in any sense, whether it's a broad based economic recession, whether it's solely on the crypto industry, which is what I would say we're in. You know, they're painful, but they're necessary. They kind of wash out the excess leverage, which they kind of i'd say, shift capital into maybe new avenues of growth and out of avenues that are no longer growing. And so it's painful, but I think it's healthy. Now.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the market cycles, and you know Bigcoin has tend to follow a four year cycle. Do you think that persists over time where it might be changed due to the growth of the asset, more liquidity, moreholders.
Speaker 1: And things like that. It's a I mean, the biggest debate in crypto has always been, you know, will will the cycle persist? And I think it was notable how last summer, you know, everyone was saying with the emergency of companies like Strategy and other digital ausatruture companies ets that there would just be this constant demand in spot markets. I do think the having cycle will persist, but I don't think it looks the same way it did in each cycle. I think fundamentally, and a lot of people on Wall Street don't like this because it's such a dumb, easy explanation, but it's it's also very fundamentally true. Like for anything, there's a kind of a equilibrium price between supply and demand, right, that's the bitcoin aving cycle.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, It's so simple and stupid, but it's kind of true. Over the long term, you still have the same people acquiring bitcoin that started acquiring it in twenty ten, they're still acquiring it today. Every year. You actually have some new people coming in and I'm not saying like adoption is going to like explode from here. But the case I'm making is over the long term demand is actually relatively stable for bitcoin, and we know that the new supply is disinflationary, and so there's this kind of longer term, permanent mismatch. And so I think, like, again it's really dumb and really simplistic, but there is an equilibrium between supply demand every four years. You have to find that new equilibrium price.
Speaker 2: Plus the mining operation costs, right, they run exactly that, and so like that's the other side.
Speaker 1: I mean that supports that price the cost of producing and so what I would you know, what I would expect in the future is the having cycle will continue, Right, you have to find this new equilibrium price post having, I'm not saying, and we already saw it. We used to see like ten x ten thousand x cycles followed by like an eighty five percent draw down from twenty twenty two to last year's peak. We did eight x, which is still good for four years, right, but you know it's much smaller. Bitcoins volatility has significantly fallen during this period too. So the SNB five hundred is like a tenvole asset Bitcoin, this cycle is about a forty vall asset, so it's about four times as volatile. It's the S and P five hundred. Last cycle, it was more like a you know, fifty sixty and the cycle before maybe seventy eight. Right, So it's volatilities coming down as it's getting bigger. It's hard for a one point two trillion dollar asset to ten x right. That requires a lot of money, And so I would expect the having cycle to persist again, maybe less exponential moves up, less deep draw downs. But the interesting thing for me is I do expect over time, not like in the immediate future, you will see correlation of different cryptocurrencies full right now everything is essentially linked to big Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you about that, yeah, because Bitcoin seems to be the lead dog and all the all coins follows, so to speak. Right, So my next question was going to be, it's going to be decoupling where like the amount of building on Eth and the amount of value on Eth, it just decouples, it breaks away exactly.
Speaker 1: So if I in using Eth as an example, right, So last year, what I when I think is smart contract platforms, I used GDP right, the sum of all fees across the platform as a proxy for economic activity on that platform. And so last year about fifty percent of that came from staple coin transactions, twenty percent came from liquid staking, and another twenty percent lending. Right, and then so the balances things like trading and then just like kind of core infrastructure and really small things. All of that activity is still dependent on the price of bitcoin, right as bitcoin's rising. Stable coins are primarily an onboard I mean, like everyone loves the story that it's for crosswater transactions, like you're sending it to your family member who lives in Peru or something, you know, But it's like what people are really doing is they're onboarding there, and they're either at some point going to swap it into like a volatile cryptocurrency, or they're pledging it as collateral in a dex. And so again it's as kind of sentiment rises, there's more demand for specultive activity specifically on ethereum, right as there's more demand there at the price of ether rises, right, So now you might want to stake it so you can earn some yield, but you also have a larger value right, if it's gone up in price, and so you might want to put it in something like ave and earn some interest off and so again, like it's all linked to the price of bitcoin on the way up, yes, and on the way down. Yeah, exactly. To your point, tokenization changes that, right, if you're a deposit, if you're tokenizing deposits, if you're tokenizing stocks, doesn't matter what bitcoin's doing, right, you're it's just it's a completely separate usage. So I think exactly over time they couple. I don't think like anytime soon. I think it's the twenty twenty eight to twenty twenty twenty thirty two cycle. There's still going to be a lot of correlation there. But yeah, I think that's the case.
Speaker 2: You know, speaking of tokenization, Jim, it seems that all of Wall Street, including tarsh Law, Morgan sand everybody is heading in the same direction of looking to put all assets on chain, starting with stocks, ets, money market funds, and so forth. I think black Rock just this week or yesterday announced they launched two new funds.
Speaker 1: Is this the direction? You know?
Speaker 2: In ten years, when we look back, it's everything's running on chain.
Speaker 1: I think that I don't know if I would say everything, but I think a lot will go on chain. And to be clear, that's not all going to be public blockchains, right, so it's going to be private solutions like can't on network, right, some people might just build their own thing friction lists, settlement, low cost transactions like it's clearly there's something there, and so I would expect over time assets are going to continue to move on chain. Now that the hiccup in the short term is you have completely separate worlds where it's you have a very defined and existing infrastructure that you actually need to build this into, and so I think it will take time. If you go back to twenty seventeen twenty eighteen, I worked on a trading desk in Morgan Stanley and at the time the TTCC was doing a small tick pilot program. And so this is a long winded answer, and there's a point I'll get there. But so the point of it was smaller market cap stocks, instead of having them trade and increments of a cent, have them trade in increments of five cents, and so that would theoretically build more volume around these different prices, and so it makes it more liquid. And so it was a test program. They rolled it out to I forget how many stocks, and they did it for like a year or two and see if it helped liquidity. That's essentially what they're doing now. Like they it was like, let's try different things, let's see what works. I think it's going to take some time for all this for firms to kind of realize what's the best way to do it. But I think that's the roadmap. Right. You're not just going to day one put everything on the right. It's it's going to be you're going to try see what works. It's going to be very controlled, and so I think over time you get there. I think it's going to take some time. There are some interesting things to think about as well. Right when you think about maybe an individual investor, the inter day liquidity is not so much of an issue. Right, If I want to buy shares of Apple, right, not an endorsement, not but you know it's it's it's fine, I go in, I put in an order, or or a financial consultant puts in an order for me, and I think it's one hundred chairs, like right, settle ten chairs for me? It's probably like two shares.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, but uh again, so it's a very but when you start looking at these kind of institutional pools of money, it's interesting because instant settlement it actually.
Speaker 1: Can be a hurdle for lower liquidity stocks. And this is why prime brokerage businesses exist, right because if you're kind of like in the hedge fund space, your shorting stocks or right, you're borrowing shares from people to short, and so the way that works in prime brokerage is you kind of like borrow, you do these transactions, and you settle off at the end of the day. And that's why that business works. If you're doing kind of stocks with low liquidity and you're instantly settling throughout the day, you might find that like your order books, your your books are kind of mismatched, and if you lose liquidity later in the day, that can kind of lead some issues and so like and like use cases like that, they're probably going to want to leave some of it at least in the short term and the traditional month because like that they do provide a core service to these kind of institutional investors that they actually benefit from not having the instant settlement. But I still think over the time it's going to go that way there's I mean, there's there's already liquidity providers doing this type of work in kind of the crypto space, right, And so I'm not saying that it doesn't go, but I just think there there's it's going to be a very measured rollout, and it's it's going to be slower. But I mean there's so much money out there that even a very measured rollout can very quickly increase the assets on all these different blockchains.
Speaker 2: And in this phase rollout, right, that's going to take time. Do you see like a bifurcation issue with the two you have the tokenized version, you have the traditional version. Maybe there's difference in prices and liquidity and some an arbitrage opportunity.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I mean that that that stands. That stands out to mind. I suspect that would get armed out so quickly.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think everyone's kind of got their eye on that, like, oh, there's there's gonna be easy money to be made. I imagine it won't you know. I suspect, uh, it's gonna there's gonna be so many people looking for that that it's gonna be difficult.
Speaker 2: I know, the sec they're currently working on legislation around token I securities and much more. And obviously we're recording this on Tuesday, August fourth, waiting for the Clarity Act. So do you think, you know, once we have the guidance from the clarityac itself, any sec that we're going to see a boom intokenization.
Speaker 1: So the way that I think about that is it's similar to kind of the energy industry. So, like the energy industry was kind of a contentious area, and like politically again, like I'm not saying this from a partisan perspective, but if you were going to invest right, you wouldn't want to kind of make a long term, expensive capex decision that could change based on the makeup of DC every two to four years. And so that's my fear without Clarity Act passing. Now, the SEC has said that they'll kind of adopt rules. They've already done some of that, but again and a new administration could come and they could reinterpret it. And so the benefit of having laws passed is that you have a clear framework. And so I think the genie is out of the bottle at this point. I don't think firms that are looking at this are going to turn their backs on it, but I think, you know, having that get passed would maybe accelerate some of their longer term plans things like that, and so I think it's very important. I haven't I'm yet to find someone who doesn't think it should get passed. You know, it's and again, even if you're anti crypto, this puts guardrails on it. If you're pro crypto, there's benefits, and so it seems sensible. I'm not our you know, our DC and public policy guru, my colleague Bike Townsend is. But again, like the bill was written by partisan. It passed the House. I think seventy Democrats joined Republicans to pass it. It's been worked on by partisan in the Senate for the past year, and so I think it anything that's kind of getting worked on right now, I don't think that would get delayed. But you know, when companies build plans out there, they're building out five ten years, and so maybe there's things further out that might get delayed. Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that absolutely makes sense. And hopefully our government can get it done. They can pass it in a couple of days ago, a couple of days ago, and they can release innovation and create jobs and all these great things. Let's talk about Charlie Schwab's respective crypto offerings at a high level. For the most part, you know, what are you guys currently offering?
Speaker 1: So we offer first, we have the spot ETPs. They're all on our platform, so about twenty percent of those assets are from Schwab clients. In terms of direct cryptocurrencies, we launched spot trading earlier this year. We've been doing a rollout every week. We have more clients joining it. So right now schweb clients can invest directly in bitcoin and ether and so that's where we're at with that.
Speaker 2: And as far as demand, I'm curious, you know, what are your client saying we want access to this or are there some of them who are still in the FEN saying I'm not sure about this. You know, what kind of sentiment are you seeing.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit of both. To think about it. You know, I spent a lot of my time obviously in crypto. You spend a lot of your time in crypto. But if you're like the average client, like you have a life outside of crypto, right, it's like, right, you know, a job that's probably not linked to it, and so I liken it to the case of owning like gold or something like that in a portfolio, and not not making the digital gold comparison, but saying that most clients, right, if you have sixty forty portfolio of stocks and bonds, they don't necessarily have exposure to goals, right, And some clients want that and some don't. And so I think that's the best way to describe it. Some clients want exposure to this, some couldn't care less. And again that's like, that's how it is for many assets. And what I would say, people tend to be more interested when prices are at all time highs, right, And that's a nature of you. It's talked about in the media twenty four to seven, Right. You go on like CNBC and it's like they have these guests on all the time. You know, everyone wants to buy when bitcoin's at one hundred twenty thousand dollars. No one wants to buy when it's at sixty thousand dollars. And so it's a cyclical asset and I think that's a nature. But we have clients that have been investing in crypto for many years. The reason that Schwab wanted to offer cryptos because we had clients that were interested in wanted to meet clients where they are in the Schwab way. Right, We're never gonna be the first one to launch this, but we want to do it in a way that we're comfortable, that we feel is secure, and we want to meet our clients demand if we want to, if our clients have interest in it, if they're already investing in it, we want to be able to meet them where they are.
Speaker 2: And I think having institutions such as Schwab offering these products I think helps break down that barrier of trust as well, because a lot of people, you even like my mom and dad, I can't tell them to go to coinbase and buy bitcoin and have a seed phrase and a wallet. But if I tell them go to Charlie Schwab or Fidelity, whoever it is that brands, they are familiar with it, they may be using already. It's an easier sell.
Speaker 1: It's it's something they're familiar with. Yes, you know, if you you don't have to self custody, right, It's it's it's just it's very similar. It fits to how they've always invested, and it's a name they're familiar with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm sure you guys are doing the education, you know, helping them. But folks understanding, here's the blockchain, here's the core.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's why my role exists. And so I'm there to act as a guide for the clients who are very new to this, but also be there for the clients who've been in the space for many years and so putting out we have a lot of resources We've put out that some educational, some more market research driven, right, things like that, But there's a lot of resources out there for clients that are looking to learn more. Again, you want to meet the clients where they are.
Speaker 2: Are their plans to support additional assets going down the market, capitalist down to road.
Speaker 1: Potentially, So they kind of leave me out of the loop there. So they don't want me spouting these things on TV, for sure, you know. But but there's always potential for more, oh for sure.
Speaker 2: Now, I want to talk a bit about it, and we touched a bit about it earlier. The cyclicality of the markets. You know a lot of folks that the last bitcoin crypto bullmarket didn't do as well because of the AI trade, and also gold and silver had a bullmarket, which was incredib Do you think as those wind down, Golden Silver and AI crypto starts to pick up again.
Speaker 1: To an extent, so, I think the crypto asset class, it's momentum driven. Very few people are actually looking at blockchain fundamentals right and seeing like where the activity is actually happening. More people are starting to, which is great because that will lead to a more efficient fundamentally driven market over time. But yeah, right now, it's just driven by Okay, prices are up. What we said before, everyone want to buy one hundred and twenty. No one wants to buy a sixty, and so it's momentum driven. Part of the reason we had less I think that we had less of a kind of bowl phase this cycle, and again less of a bowl phase in the previous cycle. Is the accessible kind of areas to speculate in crypto have grown, right, maybe prior to twenty twenty, like you could get the top ten in coinbase or something. See only that twenty twenty one bull market. For the average new investor to crypto, you were kind of concentrated to like a smaller sub sect. And then obviously there were NFTs and all that, right, but now you have purpse, you have all sorts of yeah, like there's all sorts of areas. So it's kind of it's moved a lot of the speculation actually out of bitcoin and across the crypto market cap, and the issue there is a lot of the stuff that flowed to isn't really I'd say for most of it, there's not really much there, you know, so that money's gone, Yeah, but it was just unfortunate, and so it's momentum driven. I think there's obviously been a lot of momentum outside of crypto, and that's part of the reason as you were selling into as the crypto market sold off, you could rotate into AI. I mean that's been I mean, that was kind of the story of hyper liquid, right, it was it was the first decks that gave you exposure to on crypto. Right, So in the fall you could chase precious metals on chain. Earlier this year you could buy oil futures when they were closed in other markets, and then later in the year you could buy the AI purpose as well, and so it created this avenue to continue to chase momentum outside of kind of your traditional crypto asset classes and I would suspect that, you know, and this happens with everything. You know, capital rotates into some traits. It wrote, if you're buying something, you're selling something else. And so right now crypto has been what's being sold. I suspect that some time you will get a rotation back into that. You generally need something that's going to reignite some momentum there. People aren't just all of a sudden going to be like, well, hey it's been great, let's buy crypto.
Speaker 2: You need a catalyst, like the Clarity Act would be a nice catalyst.
Speaker 1: I think the Clarity Act could be a catalyst earlier this year. So again, like crypto momentum driven, very narratives driven. So like I'm trying to think the previous psychle what was the narrative Web three was one meme coins. Yeah, I'd say big picture Web three. That was like kind of the big narrative. This most current cycle was institutional adoption, right, and so earlier in the spring, you know, bitcoin actually traded from in the month of April, it traded from about the low sixties and then up to about eighty three thousand dollars. And right around that time we had officially launched trading. There was another large, you know, high profile ETP launch at another firm, right, and so you kind of had a re emergence of the institutional adoption narrative there. And so I think if the Clarity Act would pass, you would kind of see like a return to that narrative. And so that's good because at this point the sellers seemed to be pretty exhausted, so I think that would potentially be a short term catalyst. We actually we did some work on this. We look at the daily odds, the polymarket odsah and we compared that with like long and short futures being liquidated, the dollar, oil inflation break evens, and the NASDAC And so we did a regression analysis to see, you know, how much of the change in each of these different factors contributes to like the change or can be attributed to like that day's change in bitcoins price. And so we found year to date, and this is a couple of weeks old now, but on average, clarity odds rising or falling could only explain about four percent of bitcoins daily price move, and so we don't think and again now it's easy to say that now when people don't think it's going to pass. But when there are periods when it was rising and so it didn't appear to be kind of driving crypto prices higher, and so again it could lend. If it were to pass, you could see a re edition of the institutional adoption narrative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I hope to your point, like it would flow back to the ethos bitcoin eat smart contracts. You know, it's tokenization versus the mean coins exactly.
Speaker 1: You you want to add it to like the areas that have utility. Yeah, and then you know not to mention.
Speaker 2: You know, bitcoin miners and I've spoken to some of them, they started pivoting to AI during that period, which look, I understand they got to make money, they got get ennery revenue. But hopefully as we're heading back to the next having they start to.
Speaker 1: So this is if I have to think about the twenty twenty eight to twenty twenty thirty two cycle, I think institutional adoption narrative is going to be a flight out. I think the narrative of that cycle is going to be the pivot from AI back to bitcoin. And not because I embarish on AI at all. Right, there's a bottleneck in compute right now, and so companies that have available compute that they can reconfigure. Right, you can't just like turn your mining operation to AI. But you have the energy resources, you have a lot of similar infrastructure, right. They're currently they're seeing that there's a lot of bottlem there. You can make a lot of money doing inference high performance computing, right, and so, but we're seeing competition from China, you know, and things like that. Bottlenecks are always temporary. I'm not saying this is a today thing. I'm not saying it's a tomorrow thing again, and I'm not bearish AI. But over time, I think the bottleneck does get resolved. And so if you're running a data center, whether you're focused on mining or high performance computing, you want your utilization to be at the highest rate it can be. You want to be at all hours a day making money some side of money. And so again, if that bottleneck does kind of break up, maybe there's more competition for those inference contracts, right, So that drives now that costs the revenue you can get from down. I think that starts to kind of pivot back to its Bitcoin and again, at bitcoins price is higher, it automatically starts doing that. So I think that the twenty twenty eight to twenty thirty two narrative could be the pivot back to bitcoin. And then I'm curious.
Speaker 2: You know, with the AI agentic economy, there's a lot of firms building AI agentic crypto wallets, different types of blockchain solutions for them. I don't know if that's going to take off, but that could also be a big crypt AI needs crypto or blockchain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they still be like similar. I think there will always be this kind of it's similar infrastructure and the same way that you know, excluding AI right Historically minors like you mind when it's profitable, you shut down time for early when it's not. I think that's really the same. Like they're doing the same thing. Instead of just shutting down, they're pivoting their resources elsewhere, and so I think that will maintain. I'm actually I'm less. I love like the idea behind it. I love like the agentic commerce trading in crypto. I see you got a copy of Doom up there. I love sci fi. I don't know if I'm there yet. I don't know if AI agents need to transact in cryptocurrencies. There's an entire massive hedge fund industry, high frequency trading, where computers are already transacting in financial markets and they seem to be doing it fine without cryptocurrency. So I don't know if there's like this case where every AI agent needs its own you know, it needs to transact in crypto because it can't pass KYC. AI agents are ultimately deployed by people, and so if they're trading on your half or your business behalf, you could just set up their API to your existing account wherever it is. But I love the idea, I love the imagination, and I hate to be like a Debbie Downer, but I do want to keep it really and that's why I like to focus, like what's a realistic thing for like three years out, five years out, maybe like twenty years out. Yeah, like we have there's just billions of like autonomous agents interacting in the economy. But I think in the short term kind of the marriage between infrastructure and serving mining and serving AI data centers and mining is like a more realistic kind of marriage of the two.
Speaker 2: That's great perspective, good balance, I think, versus all the stuff that's out there. Right, So uh, Jim, great stuff. Got some wrap up questions here for you. First, are you an early bird or night out?
Speaker 1: So historically I'm an early bird, but I have a five year old and a nine month old, and so at this point, any chance I can get to sleep, I'm gonna take it. If I'm on the train, I'm falling asleep, you know, So I'm an opportunistic sleep right now.
Speaker 2: I've been there, done that, So I totally relate window seat aisle.
Speaker 1: Actually ale, which is kind of weird, but the planes have gotten so cramped. Yeah, and so like I hate like you're like molded up against the window. At least the aisle your your you get you get banged a little, but.
Speaker 2: You know, you can stretch out your legs get exactly text, email or call.
Speaker 1: If a call is probably better, you know is look at nine million texts I'm sure saying with your text change with your friends, you open your phone, there's like a million text messages. It's hard to keep try of everything. So a call is probably the best way. What's one company outside of Crypto? You admire the company I admire outside of Crypto, So you know, going back to my kind of origins is like a growth tech investor guy. And you know, this is probably a very cliche answer. I'm like a huge Elon Musk fan boy, and so I think, and I'm also a sci fi yeah guy, and so I love the like it's really not one company, but obviously what he's doing with SpaceX, what he's done with x AI, the Tesla, it's I think what he's the idea that he's always kind of he's solving problems, I mean, boring company like these these are like ideas that if someone told you about, you'd be like, oh, I saw that in a movie something, you know, and I think it's so interesting. So I think that's like kind of what, you know, the appeal to kind of the the Elon muscaverse of companies is to me, it's really really forward thinking. It's straight out of a sci fi buck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's actually doing it, which is incredible. If you can have if you excuse me, if you can have dinner with any person living or dead, who would be in a maybe Teylan.
Speaker 1: No, I would probably kind of corny. I would probably want to do like a relative, you know, someone like I never met, you know, like two hundred years ago. You know, I think that'd be pretty interesting. You know. Maybe so my my my mother's family, there's Scottish and Irish immigrants. You know, they came over with the turn of the century and they so her father's family owned like a tanning business in Jersey City, and so like people would go and you know, catch like animals and like bring them like their pelts, and they would like turn them into whatever tanner does. And so it'd be cool to like meet like my grandfather's parents and be like or Grandpa whoever was, you know, and kind of like get their take on the world. So he's kind of corny to go with a family member, but you know, well.
Speaker 2: You know that's interesting because there's concept that's been talked about now where because of AI, you can upload your conscience so to speak, like it just downloads as much as it can about you and your kids you're going to and you can pull up an avatar of you and talk to you to a certain degree.
Speaker 1: I love that idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Which it's a brave new world that will be live in. Yeah, best advice you've ever gotten, I'll keep it real.
Speaker 1: From an investing perspective, you can this is a former boss. You can be wrong, but you can't stay wrong, and so you're never going to be right one hundred percent of the time in your investment decisions, and it usually doesn't pay it a double down, you know. So if you're wrong, admit it and move on to the next idea.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, Jim, Thank you so much, pleasure, and I'm looking forward to our next conversation and the future updates around Charlie Schwab's crypto initiatives and products and much more.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. Yeah, thanks for having me on looking forward as well.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for tuning in. Please hit the like button subscribe if you haven't as yet. If you're listening on a podcast platform such as Spotify or Apple, please follow and leave a five star rating. Thank you so much.