Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show, idiot, the kids are crying or trail off.
Speaker 3: The punctures are.
Speaker 4: Screwing it up.
Speaker 2: Gold Play inter.
Speaker 4: Murals, Brother, gold Play inter Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid? Here?
Speaker 5: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 6: Here's Nick Coffee. Happy hump day. Everybody welcome in a post election edition of Coffee and Company, fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Nick Coffee, the company man. Mister John Alden joins me here as we get we get this thing started. Three hours. That's how long we have. And I hope that you guys are ready to commit three hours of your time to us. If so, just know you can be out and about. You can take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the Aheart Radio web listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. And it's over, folks, the election is over. We now know who won. We know who's going to be the new well, the next president, new president. How would you word that? This is somebody that actually has been president before, which obviously has never happened.
Speaker 2: But here we are.
Speaker 6: I will say this, and I'm not going to share a whole lot because I know that's not what you came here to listen to. At least I don't think so. If so, you're in the wrong place. That's not really what we do. But I found myself fascinated by being able to and it's it's a teeny tiny percentage of of you know, the amount of people who vote right, but watching this whole thing play out last night was just it was entertaining to me and fascinating to see. As you know, the night went on, I think like around I don't know.
Speaker 2: Seven seven thirty ish both sides.
Speaker 6: And again it sounds like I'm I've got some like study or something like that. I'm talking about quite literally, like the talking heads you see on social media and like the people that you follow. Like that's what I was consuming last night as far as you know, other than watching the coverage of it and then just have my phone out on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram even like whatever people sharing, you know, people were live. I mean people were live on TikTok and all that, And I don't mean like average shows, but like obviously people who are who have a platform rather be independent or they work for a network like It's It's Selection Nights. So there was endless amounts of places you could go to hear reaction from what was going on. And obviously this day and age, you're either completely all in on your platform catering to the Democrats or you're all in on your platform catering to the Republicans, but both sides no matter where I went, felt really really confident. And I said that at the end of the show yesterday because it just seemed like that. But what I you know, was trying to gather as it became clear later into the night who was going to win, is how confident were they really?
Speaker 2: Like I'm thinking that.
Speaker 6: Those that did vote for Kamala Harris and felt confident, like I think they believed it, but it almost kind of felt like as the realization hit them that Donald Trump was going to win and Kamala Harris was going to lose, it almost felt like they realized that they should not have been quite as confident as they were. You know, again, I don't really have a whole lot to base it off of, but just a just a gut feeling that there were some that that, you know, once it became real that the thing was going to go in a direction they didn't want it to go in, that they maybe realized, hey, we shouldn't have been so confident. And you know, I think, I mean, I'll tell you real quick what I think, and that's this is this really isn't even like a political comment, and even if it was, I don't think it's a big deal. But I think that there was just the assumption that so many people loathed the man that is Donald Trump that they just wouldn't vote for him, and then that would be how Kamala Harris would win, because hey, just look at this guy, he's a real a hole. No way you're going to vote for him, right, Like, That's kind of what I mean. And to be honest, I didn't have a clue what was going to happen. Like it wouldn't have stunned me if, in fact, like it went the other way. But I felt all along that the really really cool and not even not even super quiet people, but like the majority those that are not loud mouths on social media about it. Those that are very much your average joes that you know, are thinking about what is best for them when they when they go vote, because they're thinking about themselves, their family. You know, you never really know where they are because you know, it's it's it's not something that you can Some people make their political party or the candidate that they support, make it their whole personality to where you know, but think about how many people where you really don't know unless you know a little bit about him. You may stereotype and just assume based off of honestly a lot of things, appearance, age, where you live, that kind of stuff, But you really never know until people go and they vote. And I mean, it really wasn't that close. And I think that there are many and well, I get this is just a guess. There are a lot of people across the country that don't necessarily care for Donald Trump, they voted for him, that realize, like it's kind of crazy, given you know, everything with him. And I don't mean to say that like he's the worst person in the world, but you know, when you're going to be the president, you know, there's some things that you can't really have on your record, you can't. You know, he's not necessarily been very presidential, and that's really just what just stands out. It stood out the first time he won the election, and kind of still stands out today, you know. So I think that that those people probably just knew going in, probably months leading into the election. Election day, I should say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna.
Speaker 6: Vote that side, just because I feel like, given the options, that's the best case scenario. He's not presidential. I don't really like, you know, how he carries himself, clearly, you know, there's there's some baggage there. But I just don't think that there was a whole lot on the other side that that, you know, the average jokes could really relate to. And I think that they to me, at least it seemed and I shouldn't say that like the majority of their pitch was, Hey, I mean, look at this guy, he's an a hole. Don't vote for him, vote for me. But man, there was a lot of that, a lot more of that than I think people. You know, everybody was well aware this wasn't some new candidate that we had to like figure out who he was this and that. I mean, Donald Trump's been a celebrity for forever and he's already been the president once. So you know, from my perspective, I think they're just it fell flat their pitch, and I think.
Speaker 2: It led to people. There's probably people that.
Speaker 6: Voted Republican that will probably have never done it before and probably will never do it again, but they just considering the options they And it's not to say that, you know, Kamala Harris is the worst person ever.
Speaker 2: She may be nice.
Speaker 6: I mean, none of us know her personally, but like it, I'm not now that a day has passed, I guess not a full day since you know, we got results and started to see which way it was going to go. Like, I'm really not that surprised because when I felt like when he won the first time, it was the same thing. You just assume, well, surely people won't vote for this guy who you know, was on the Apprentice, and you know is I mean, it just it just seemed very very you know off as far as him not being presidential, he's a celebrity. This is unusual for somebody in this position to be on the ballot running to be the president of the United States. But sure enough, he reached enough people the first time he won and it worked out, and that's that's that's the way it played out here. So I've not necessar necesarily been monitoring, you know, national news to see if there's been any kind of big widespread reaction US on the losing side, But you know, I guess it wouldn't totally shock me if if if there was, But I do feel like there are you know, I tried to I tried to lay out how I you know, and I don't know for sure. It just kind of felt like those that were really really confident they ended up being wrong. It kind of felt like as it was playing out, they started to realize they should not have been as confident as as they actually were. But I'm sure there are still many that are just stunned and disbelief because they convinced themselves there's just no scenario that that America would vote him in again, and they did and it really wasn't close. Have you seen any crazy reactions yet, John.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's a number of people on social media that.
Speaker 6: You're talking like, like no, people are like okay, people you know, and I know actually from school that you went to high school with.
Speaker 1: And I'm not going to give names, of course, but there's people that I probably won't unfollow them because this will calm down, hopefully in a few days, I would hope. But just seeing the way that some people react and just let themselves lose their minds. I mean, this is why I mentioned that the day after election day or the days after election day or the worst, because you see people just completely It's like they don't.
Speaker 3: Know how to act.
Speaker 1: And I hate to put them that kind of little bubble, but like I just can't relate to that type of behavior, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this.
Speaker 6: You don't have to name anybody, but the first few that come to mind when I ask you, have you seen any kind of like really crazy off the wall, like you know, nothing that's going to get somebody arrested, but just people, you know, kind of showing their ass because they're upset about what happened. Is it mostly people that are in your age range?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Oh sure, because I think that is a different demo, Like I think that that is a that's a base that probably did really well with.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harris.
Speaker 6: To be honest with you yeah, and you know, maybe they weren't aware that there's people that are you know, old enough to be their dad, their grandpa that you know, they've been voting a lot longer. They probably follow it maybe a little bit closer, and they decided. Again, I don't know if there's a way of knowing this, and maybe you know, maybe there is, and if so, I you know, not that I would make it a show topic or anything like that, but the amount of people who voted Republican for the first time in this election, like I bet I would would not be shocked if that number was really really high. So anyways, it'll continue to be, you know, a national story. Just the fact that we've got, you know, the election's over and Donald Trump's going to be the president again, which still sounds crazy to say out loud. And I don't mean because of you know, well I guess technically I do. I guess I do kind of mean because of him. But overall, like this is this is the whole thing before anybody placed to vote, Like, just seeing where we were as the election day was approaching, like it is still kind of like, wait, what how do we end up here? I saw a lot of people sharing the same joke if I knew who said it, and originally I would give them credit, but like a ton of people I saw sharing it as their own. So whoever came up with it, I thought it was pretty clever.
Speaker 2: But as you're.
Speaker 6: Waiting last night around dinner time just to kind of see you know, you knew it's it's it's crunch time as far as getting results, getting numbers and whatnot. And somebody said that it's like you are in the in court at a custody battle and you're the and you are the kid, and both parents are unfit, but the judge has to decide who's gonna get who's gonna get full custody. Like that's a little extreme, but like I could see the connection there. So anyways, we'll move on. Coffee and company. Fuel by Thornton's, that's us. You knew that though, And if you didn't know where, you were fueled by Thorton's. Now you do, make sure you sign up to to become a member of the Refreshment Awards program if you haven't already. You'll save money at the gas pump. And yeah, you'll you'll benefit from it. I mean, I can't guarantee it. I guess that's really in the i of the beholder, but I'd be shocked, very shocked if in fact, your life doesn't improve potentially at a substantial level about being a member of the Refreshment Awards program. So go to Refreshming Awards dot com or download the app today and you'll be happy that you did. We're gonna get to break coming up here in just a few minutes, but I want to set the table for you guys, because we are. We got a lot to get into today. Obviously, the college football playoff rankings came out, and I'm a sucker for this because I really do enjoy hearing all the different cases being made for certain teams, and I'm aware that like none of it all matters, Like it might just be considered us wasting our breath debating about, well, how did this team end up at sevent team? Like you know, we all know it's going to play itself out and at the end of the day, nobody's gonna remember exactly where a team was this week or next week. It's going to be about where you are in the end. But I'm looking forward to getting into it. Obviously, we can talk. We'll talk about it throughout the show for you know, a good chunk of today. But we are going to be joined coming up at four h five by Zach Barnett fooballscoop dot com. Our first guest is going to join us, coming up here in about seven minutes or so. Once we get our first break out of the way, it'll be doctor Larry Bin's appropra have physical therapy. Looking forward to catching up with him, and I'm very tells of him. He was in Death Valley on Saturday night, so I'm going to have to live through him a little bit and have him share a little bit about that experience because I'm sure he's been before on one of Louisville's trips prior. But man to be there when they knock him off, that's an all time moment. And speaking of that, Louisville they came into number twenty two, the only three loss team in the college football playoff rankings. And you know, when it comes to best case scenario for you in football, right your goals with you having three losses, I still don't see a scenario where you get in the playoff, but you know, we'll see. I mean, I know, some people are thrown out a path that they see. I don't see it, but look, knock yourself out. You're ten spots away and there's three games left, so you know, maybe crazier things have in fact happened. But went out, and you will have into the streak against Kentucky. You already knocked off Clemson, and if you win a bowl game, that gives you back to back ten win seasons, that'll be the second time in program history that that's happened. Also, if you went out, you know what that means. You will have gone two straight seasons where every single week that the college Football Playoff rankings existed, you were in it. And I mean that's really plausible, And I don't know how you wouldn't say, Man, we still have a lot of momentum, Jeff brom two years in, this thing is working out in a major way. And I don't think there was a whole lot of doubt in regards to that, even whenever Louisville was losing games earlier this year and you felt like, man, why can't we get over the hump? We should be winning these games. We're making mistakes. You know, it happens, but right now to see them. I mean they have they're the best three loss team in the country according to the College Football Playoff Committee, which, hey, you don't hang a banner for that, but if you finish strong, it could still be a season that I'd have a hard time really understanding how anybody would say that it was, you know, disappointing him. Think you would, You'd have to say that it was not special maybe, but certainly a good season, and you've maintained momentum that you established in year one with Jeff brom. All Right, I'm gonna say this, and I'll I'll leave you in suspense. I mean, it's not like something crazy, but I'm just gonna tell you the honest truth. I think Tennessee basketball is mid like. I don't think that they're that. I mean, I looked up their roster, looked up their numbers, and I'm thinking, like man like, I think Louisville on paper is better. We'll find out soon enough, but we can certainly talk some hoops because no football this weekend, and we'll we'll have a Nune tip off at the Youm Center, and I'm hoping there's a big rowdy crowd there on the Kentucky side, Mark Stoops, he talked yesterday and he going anywhere. Guys'll you all just need to accept the fact that, like you're gonna have to trust him to get it fixed because he ain't walking away.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if you want him to, but I kind of feel like you do.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Quick break.
Speaker 6: Doctor Benz joins us on the other side right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Welcome back in Coffee and Company Field by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for joining us here on a Wednesday afternoon. And now joining us is our dear friend, doctor Larry Ben's of pro Reap Physical Therapy. How are we doing this afternoon, Doctor Ben's.
Speaker 5: We're doing wonderful. How are you doing, Nick?
Speaker 2: Doing good? Doing really really well.
Speaker 6: I'd be doing even better if I was able to say I was alongside doctor Ben's in Death Valley on Saturday, because that was one heck of a victory. And I imagine even though you're at someone else's place, it's not home, but you know, it's special to win there. What was that atmosphere like for the Cards fans that did make the.
Speaker 5: Trip, Well, I'll tell you.
Speaker 4: It's there are certain special stadiums around the country. You know, it's interesting, a lot of good games over the past few weeks. You saw the West Coast games that Oregon, Washington, certainly Penn State.
Speaker 5: Ohio State.
Speaker 4: But it's hard to beat, you know, the fan surroundings, the culture, the atmosphere of big time college football, and Death Valley brings.
Speaker 5: All that more.
Speaker 4: And let me tell you, there's nothing better than not only just beating them, but mauling them. You know, we've had two other chants at that valley and came up a little short. Actually probably more than two, but two we were very very close to leaving with a victory, and so it made this one even much more sweet. And you know, we played a complete game. It was just an absolute gem and a wonderful prep by the coaching and the players came to play. And the doubters who are still in doubt are still probably doubting today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tell you what.
Speaker 6: The way they came out defensively, I mean it really was that they got I don't know what was said at halftime in Boston, but man, I tell you what, they came out and after giving up a score to Boston College early on in that third quarter. They really were dominant in that game. And you know, the time of possession I think really influenced the numbers to where you can't really look at what Clemson did offensively and feel like the Louisville defense had.
Speaker 2: A great game.
Speaker 6: But man, if you watched it, man, they were in control. They were the most consistent unit. Special teams came ready to play too. So yeah, when you've had some tough losses to really good teams, you really need that breakthrough win and they got it and you saw it last night. I mean, the only three lost team in the college football playoff rankings. That speaks to this resume.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And I think you know, for Losville fans who've been around for a while, there are two football games that brought back the same sense of a little bit of surprise but then an absolute mauling, and that would be the Teddy Bridgewater in our victory over Florida, you know, down in New Orleans.
Speaker 5: Heck, and you know how many how many outside kicks did that game have?
Speaker 4: Well, the game the other day, it had its fair share, but you know, it's just such a tribute to the University of the players, a team, the athletic department, administration, and you know, we'd like to say, take a fish smells from its head to its tail, and let me tell you whatever we've got going on some incredible momentum and it's it's unbelievable to see that. You know, the turnaround basketball the other night was you know, they said there was what twelve thirteen thousand people there, but it sure felt like more than that.
Speaker 5: And to see.
Speaker 4: Literally the exhilaration was just, you know, just incredible emotional feeling for all the.
Speaker 2: Fans, good energy.
Speaker 6: And I tell you what, I think this will be something I remember for a long time. Pat Kelsey's first game, Louisville was up fifty points and they forced a shot clock violation on defense with the relentless defense, and everybody that was there and those that came stayed, they wanted to stay till the end. They were all upstanding clapping like that was It was a moment because you realize, wow, like these guys are playing hard. You know, the fans that are going to be there, they're going to support him in Pat Kelsey's team, man, they certainly look like a reflection of him with their energy enthusiasm and overall efforts.
Speaker 2: So certainly some good vibes.
Speaker 6: Now, one thing I wanted to get you with this Louwell football team a late bye week. There's now an extra bye week for everybody because of the changes to the college football playoff format this late in the year. I mean, it's one of those things you hear people say, well, nobody's fully healthy because you've played a lot of football at this point, it's a physical sport.
Speaker 2: What do you think, you.
Speaker 6: Know, how how different would this bye week be made then the earlier by week, or maybe there's no difference at all. I just feel like this late in the year, maybe there would be a little more emphasis on rest recovery than maybe the first by week.
Speaker 4: Well, there's certainly a lot to be said for the timing of these breaks. I think if you look historically, you know, go back to the days when.
Speaker 5: There were no biber you know, there was no such a concept.
Speaker 4: Then there have been years where we've had two, and there's been those where we've had an early one and not a late one, and then there's years where we've had both. And there are two effects from it. The first is that you have kids who are injured going into the season who have now been able to get stronger, and that makes a big difference.
Speaker 5: And we've certainly had those, and then.
Speaker 4: You've had others who have more of an mid season injury and then they need the time off.
Speaker 5: So it is absolutely, you know, well needed.
Speaker 4: You probably saw on social media the locker room celebration and it sounded like he gave him a couple three days off, which was desperately needed because you're not worried at this stage of these kids being in You're not worried about their legs getting tired, You're not worried about building them into conditioning.
Speaker 5: They're in conditioning.
Speaker 4: They know the play sets, they've gone through, the cadence of week to week, what additional adjustments and tempo do they need to play with and all those things.
Speaker 5: And so it is incredible timing because.
Speaker 4: Now we go into you know, the sort of triad, right we go to out to Stanford, very very difficult and if you've looked at the acc our teams have not done great going to.
Speaker 5: The West Coast.
Speaker 4: You saw Rutgers have to play, you know, a game a few weeks ago was a usc where they just got malled they played a seven thirty pm, you know, West Coast game.
Speaker 6: Well, Miami was down a few touchdowns to Cal or good stretch.
Speaker 4: Of game, and they sure were, and they came back and they won that game against the Cal team that you know is questionable.
Speaker 5: So this is not an easy trip.
Speaker 4: But I believe they go out with an extra day early, probably on Thursday would be my guess.
Speaker 5: I'm actually going to that game, looking very much forward to it.
Speaker 4: I've never been in the Stanford Stadium. That's a kind of a historic place really, so looking forward to that.
Speaker 5: But it is much needed.
Speaker 4: Don't also forget you have by way gives you an opportunity for recruiting, and it gives the coaches an opportunity to spend some time with their family, you know, you know, regenerate themselves a little bit, remediate refresh and so it's it's good for everybody to get a break, no.
Speaker 2: Doubt about it.
Speaker 6: Doctor Larry Ben's and Promoria Physical Therapy is our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Let's switch gears here to the NFL. Christian McCaffrey one of the best players in the NFL when healthy. He's not been healthy hasn't played yet this year, it sounds like he could be returning sooner rather than later. If you are somebody that you know wisely drafted McCaffrey pretty early in your fantasy draft, and yeah, I've been able to utilize him yet, so maybe it wasn't so wise, but clearly a really good and productive player.
Speaker 2: What would you expect his.
Speaker 6: Workload to be when he is able to go? Achilles tendonitis is what he's recovering from. It's been a been one of the most talked about injuries in the NFL, I believe so far this year. The general manager John Lynch for the forty nine ers, he emphasized, you know, they're going to see if he can handle the volume of usage. But you know, I guess is it is it kind of a hey, we'll see how how good he They'll see how ready he is when they get him out there and let him give it a go.
Speaker 5: No, it's exactly you know the situation.
Speaker 4: So you know all of these sort of workers' comp regulations you have in the NFL. They don't call him that, but effectively he's got a twenty one day practice window, which which means he's got three weeks to prove himself. He's either going to be you know, he's either going to be activated and be on the roster.
Speaker 5: He's not.
Speaker 4: And so I hate to say if you're fantasy players, but they're still going to have to wait around a little bit. Yeah, they're not going to put him in unless he's a productive part of that offense. His injury was called achilles tendonitis. It's been it's been rumored to actually have been you know, some micro tears and some other things going on.
Speaker 5: If you remember, I think.
Speaker 4: He was even exploring overseas treatments and some alternative medicine for lack of a better term. He's an incredible athlete, has just been a tremendous performer, but he has also been you know, a train wreck literally in terms of the number of injuries that he's had. That's just the type of player that he is. But San Francisco needs him, as has been evidenced by the season, and you know, we'll see certainly they're not going to put him in before you know his time, as they say, So be patient on the fantasy, but you can rest assured that if that is a late swap going into an announcement where they're going to actually activate him, which you'll have plenty of time to do.
Speaker 5: You know, that would be the advice that I would offer up.
Speaker 6: Another injury in the NFL that certainly has been talked about as of late, just because this is a team that, no matter how good or bad, they are always going to be talked about.
Speaker 2: That's the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Dak Prescott sounds like he could be heading to the IR with what I believe is a hamstring injury. I guess there's a lot, you know, I guess there's different layers I guess to to to those injuries as far as you know how how I guess what kind of injury it is to your hamstring. But when you hear I are this late in the year or I guess you know, midway through the year, is that more of a you know, the season's not going well for him or is it something that I guess you obviously haven't examined him or anything like that. But I don't know if Cowboy fans want this guy back or not. But if so, what do you think the likelihood is given that you know they're talking IR at.
Speaker 4: This point, Well, he signed a you know, Deshaun Watson type of contract. Oh yeah, I hate to make that analogy, but the reality is that he has been hurt several seasons for the Cowboys. I thought it was announced that he will actually land on injured reserve for this hamstring injury.
Speaker 5: That's my understanding.
Speaker 4: And it was MRI you know, I think about a week or so ago now, and so something else must have been happening there. It must have been a profound you know, you wouldn't typically go on IR if it was a strain. So I'm speculating, of course, but I think I think there must be some some aspect of a torn muscle there, and certainly on a quarterback. He can't back Pelly, he can't do anything. So that's my understanding, and we'll see what's happened. I think the one thing that I remind my fantasy colleagues about the NFL right now.
Speaker 5: Is what we're in Week nine. You know, we're ten.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're still at this point in the season where there's a lot of football left, you know, going into this and now teams have bye weeks, just like you know we're talking about with college.
Speaker 5: So be a little patient here and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 6: I know there's a lot of Bengals fans here in the area, or maybe just you know Bengals fans, I if you've got some of their guys on your fantasy team. But Te Higgins has has has been dealing with a quad injury. He's kind of been fifty to fifty, it seems like for the last week or so. I mean, it's been something they've been monitoring for quite some time. Obviously, he's a really good weapon for Joe Burrow at receiver. You know, when you hear quad and yet they haven't, you know, it's it's sort of a coin flip. It sounds like if he's going to play, doesn't seem to be super serious, but also one of those things where if you're going to start him, I guess just need to know there's a chance he may give it a go and they may pull him, or maybe he just isn't as effective if you've got it like I feel like the first time you're playing somebody coming off of an injury, you know, it might still make sense to put him out there, but maybe you shouldn't expect him to be as productive. Of course, depending on depending upon the injury, and I guess ending upon you know what position they play.
Speaker 5: Well, that's exactly right.
Speaker 4: I think what you see in the NFL is you know, sort of specialty you know, you know, type of plays and setups. So in his case, you know, he isn't practicing as of twenty four hours ago. He missed practice, you know, literally all last week, certainly didn't play you know, Sunday. And so if he is able to play, which it doesn't sound.
Speaker 2: Like it, but it's not looking good.
Speaker 4: You'll see it in special you know, situations and formations. I think the news for their left tackles a little bit better, you know, Orlando Brown, you know.
Speaker 5: Who they also need.
Speaker 4: He's he's evidently returned to some practice. So Bengals fans who are particularly you know, making sure that they protect their quarterback as they should Joe Burrows that, uh, you know, I think that's a that's a plus that.
Speaker 2: They're yeah, tackled him.
Speaker 6: Him being healthy, Uh, is a real factor in just how much it's gonna matter if the other guys aren't healthy, specially when it comes to a receiver. And obviously Burrow has been playing better, but yeah, the guys up front man they're so important and on both sides of the ball, and unless, you know, unless they're getting a big sack or they give up a big play, but it seems like they don't usually get the recognition that they deserve, especially on the offensive line. Right you see a guy break free for a big touchdown, or a quarterback that's got all kinds of time who makes a throw like even if of you know football, I just don't think the instincts are there for you to just say, hey, that was a great job out of the old line. But they are certainly certainly important real quick. The Bengals play the Ravens, and I'm telling you, Lamar Jackson, I didn't know if he could get much better, considering he already has two MVP trophies in his trophy case. But this season, I mean, he's hit a level to where I feel like there can't be many people out there still making the ridiculous claim that this guy is not one of the best quarterbacks in the league. And I mean he's on pace to maybe be one of the best ever. That sounds like in exaggeration because he's still pretty young, but man, he's off to such a great start and this year, he's taken it to a new level.
Speaker 4: He certainly has I mean certainly early talk on him being a so now a three time MVP. I think the only criticism that you hear that is legitimate is the playoffs. But in terms of his week to week playing, and remember last year, he came into the season after having a rough prior year.
Speaker 5: He had remembered the illness he had right.
Speaker 4: After visiting the contract situation, where he was honored the contract situation, and then he had an ankle.
Speaker 5: Injury where he missed several weeks.
Speaker 4: So I think he's incredible, not just because he's a Heisman Trophy winner in a u of L grad and player, but because he's incredible and he never disappoints in a game, and you're never out of reach with him in there, as evidenced by a few weeks ago, came down the last play against the Cleveland Browns, so you could certainly be rested shared I'm rooting for him, and it's it's exciting for not just not just the fans of u of L, but around the country.
Speaker 5: He is the talk of the league every week. It seems no.
Speaker 2: Doubt about it. Larry as always I appreciate you making time for us.
Speaker 6: Enjoy your trip to Stanford next week, and I know, I know you guys will be bringing back at.
Speaker 2: W absolutely go cards, cards, take care.
Speaker 6: That's doctor Larry Binn's Prori have physical therapy, good stuff there.
Speaker 2: Doctor Binn's goes to all the games.
Speaker 6: And you know, there's certain trips that I that I really would love to eventually take, and those are two of them. Clemson, of course, for obvious reasons, especially if Louisville is gonna win there.
Speaker 2: That was awesome. But man, go into the Bay Area.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure what the atmosphere would be like at a Stanford football game, but you could still have some fun there, that's for sure. All Right, quick break, We're gonna have some fun the rest of the way, So stick around. We'll talk about those college football playoff rankings coming up here on the other side, And at some point, I want to tell you why I I think Louisville is gonna beat Tennessee on Saturday. I mean, it's a second game of the season for both teams, but like I feel good about it. Stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety Welcome back in coffee and come company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety so. Last night, I'm sure a lot of people were keeping up with what was going on in the presidential election, or maybe you weren't, I'm not sure, but the college football playoff rankings were unveiled for the first time this season. Even a day later, it is kind of wild to believe that they went up against election coverage, because you know, it clearly was a big deal and it got talked about, but not to the level that it would have under really any other circumstance.
Speaker 1: But I love the fun fact that they mentioned that. Obviously they start this journey with with it being on election day and the college football National Championship is on an inauguration day.
Speaker 3: Oh really, yes? Would they weird to booking it like that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's no way they did that in like, I wouldn't think. So, you know, maybe they knew it, but that couldn't have been like, hey, let's do.
Speaker 3: It because of that.
Speaker 2: There's it just it's it's random. It's random's help.
Speaker 6: So look, when it comes to the playoff rankings, I was reminded last night that I really like the week check ins because you know, it's just interesting to see literally resume for resume like it kind of reminds me a little bit of bracketology, especially now that there's twelve teams, so we all know this is going to play out. It doesn't really matter where you are, but it does give you a reference point. It's the first time you get a chance to see truly what this committee thinks of you and your conference. And Louisville being the only three loss team in there that was that was awesome to see up at number twenty two. And they play another top twenty team in the next couple of weeks with Pittsburgh, so they've got a chance to move up a little bit. I look, we've already had a couple of people asking on the text line that if they were to knock off pit and maybe take their spot at eighteen, which I'm not really sure that would work out that way, but if they did, you know, could they be alive? And it's just I mean, I guess as far as like a possibility, yeah, but the amount of teams you would need to lose in the likelihood of that happening is just again seems you know, very much impossible, And I don't think that Louisville would just replace Pittsburgh if they beat them, like Pittsburgh would be seven to two or would have two losses then and Louisville of course would be three loss team. But again, the playoff rankings, and I think this is the way it should be done, but it's not how the AP poll or power rankings have typically ever been done. They're not going to just drop you because you lost. They're going to do a weekly check in. And Louisville beating Pittsburgh, maybe that would make Louisville's resume more impressive than theirs, because you know, they would have beaten a team that was in the top twenty, and Louisville's quality of loss is storially strong and Pittsburgh, pitt doesn't really have a win to speak of, like, so maybe it would happen, but again or maybe or maybe it would be you know, lois would be one spot behind them, but we'll worry about that when we get there. Again, I said this earlier in the show for Louisville. The playoff and not a reality now, but if you went out, you'll be able to say that you you finished with non regular season wins and you ended the street to Kentucky. Again, if you went out, you ended the street to Kentucky, you beat Clemson for the first time since joining the ACC and if you get a bowl win, you'd have ten wins and that would give you two straight seasons with double digit wins. It would be the second time ever that that's happened in Louisville football history. Another thing I think that you could include that I think is worth something that if you went out, there's no scenario that you're not in the rankings the rest of the way. So if you finish two years of the Jeff bram Era and you have been a ranked team in the College Football Playoff rankings throughout that entire experience, that you know, you don't hang a banner for that, but that would be another sign that, hey, this thing is working out really exactly how we want it. So, you know, a rough start to the season, not because you know they were losing every game and they were embarrassing. It's just it was frustrating because you were close in those games. But you know what, if you play good teams and you lose, you're not going to be given it as if you won. But it really doesn't hurt you that much. And I think that speaks to Louisville being ranked twenty second despite having three losses. They're two good teams and they're you know, they were close games. And look, the ACC I think has gotten better. I really do believe that. I don't know if it's taking you know, miles and miles, you know, as far as progress, but I think the league has gotten better. I think Miami is a legitimate, you know, contender here, especially if they can get in a shootout with teams.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: I think SMU's for real. In fact, I think SMU might might have a claim to be the most upset team that's on the outside looking in of the top twelve. I mean SMU should be ahead of of Boise of yeah, Boise State. I mean, if you just look at Boise State right now, what they're benefiting from is their only loss being to the number one team and that's Oregon. Other than that, what's the best win. I mean, they haven't really beaten anybody we're talking about. I mean, UNLV I guess is a decent win, but not not really in the eyes of like how the Committee's going to view a valuable win. When it comes to ranking you in these rankings, Like, I don't understand Boise being I'm not saying that they're bad, but like, I don't know how you can justify having Boise ahead of SMU when SMU, I mean their only loss is on the road at BYU, who the Committee has sitting at. Let's see number nine, so their only loss is a close loss at home, or you know, to a BYU team that the Committee thinks is the ninth best team in the country. They beat Louisville at Louisville, who the Committee says is the you know, the twenty second best team, and then Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh was unbeaten. Pittsburgh is the eighteenth best team. Again according to the committee. The Committee believes that these are the that these teams should be ranked where they're ranked. It makes zero sense that as you is not higher than thirteenth. I mean again, I think, who knows if they play, maybe boys wins, but if you're just basing it off of resume, I don't I don't understand how Boise would be would even be where they are.
Speaker 2: But that's just me.
Speaker 6: We'll get into this a little bit more when we talk with Zach Barnetta FootballScoop dot com. He said to join us coming up here at about four oh five, and we'll get his thoughts. You know, see who he thinks is the team that's been snubbed the most.
Speaker 2: With Indiana.
Speaker 6: I'll say this really quickly because obviously they're a big talking point because they're undefeated. They're kicking everybody's ass. However, you know, they ended up and look, I think their spot is is fair. They're number eight, and I think most Indiana fans, probably even John would agree that you know that that that that's fine. There's no real gripe like eight eight makes sense. You know, that's fine. But with Indiana. Here's here, here's here's my thoughts on Indiana.
Speaker 2: Indiana.
Speaker 6: I believe that they're a really good team. I would not be shocked from what I've seen if they went out, But the resume doesn't tell me that. I'm just basing it off of what I've seen. So like, Indiana's resume is not great, but it doesn't matter because if they if they take care of business and keep playing the way they're playing and keep winning, it'll work itself out to where they're gonna be there.
Speaker 2: In the playoff.
Speaker 6: Like right now, Indiana, they have no rank wins just because they haven't they haven't played a ranked team, yet they're unbeaten. They have the one ZH six toughest schedule, and BYU you know, they've got two top twenty five wins and they have the sixtieth rank schedule. So you know, I don't think anybody would make the argument that, like as far as resume, because again, resume matters. But I can take a team whose resume looks whatever, but I've watched them and I know, like I've got no doubt that they're Like, let me give you an example, Michigan last year, did anybody think Michigan wasn't as good as advertised? Did anybody think Michigan legitimately wasn't a national championship contender? I mean, they ended up winning it, but Michigan's resume is stunk.
Speaker 2: The didn't pay anybody good to look very end.
Speaker 5: Of the year.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the one argument that people who are really saying Indiana is still getting disrespected.
Speaker 3: You're comparing them to that Michion.
Speaker 2: You were on the phone and you missed my entire whole thing that.
Speaker 3: I know disrespect to the person who is on the phone.
Speaker 6: But yes, no, he he means no disrespect. I mean disrespect though. Whoever that was well, just like that that, you know, I started talking Hoosiers and then the phone rang and I could I could tell just as soon as you started talking that it wasn't gonna be somebody that was going to come on the air. But again, Indiana, I don't. Again, I get that their resume is what it is. I'm not saying that like it's not.
Speaker 3: What it is.
Speaker 6: It's actually it's actually pretty simple to break down. There's really no gray area or real debate about the resume. It's it's mean, it's it's perfect because they haven't taken a loss, but as far as who they've beat, it's not really been anybody that impressive. But yet they're kicking everybody's ass. So I think Idian is really good, but the resume doesn't doesn't doesn't confirm that. But in the end, but in the end, it doesn't matter. You've got twelve teams, it doesn't matter as much. Now if you were in a four team playoff situation, still like it would be Indiana would have.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, it'd be case undefeated. To be in the playoffs.
Speaker 6: Look, if they get to the end of the year and they knock off Michigan, they knock off Ohio State, Ohio State, I mean Ohio State's the second to last game, right, Yes, however, you know it's the one that's I mean, y'all are going to kill Purdue.
Speaker 3: So it's so weird with that being like, yeah, you're into the season.
Speaker 6: So Ohio State is the second best team. If Indiana at number eight, is somehow able to win out and knock off that, I mean, only one win possible could be better than that one, right because Oregon's number one, then it'll all work out. So like it won't, It won't really matter at this point in Indiana isn't a unique spot because it just again't like they're there. Their schedule, well, their schedule was clearly more back you know, backloaded.
Speaker 3: Than it was meant to be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but like in the Big Ten, I just feel like, you know, on paper, you know, there were a few games you probably thought, yeah, that's gonna be, like we could be pretty good. I mean, nobody thought they'd be this good, but you thought you could be pretty good and still find yourself in a position to where you're gonna you know, you know you're gonna lose to teams just because hey, that's what always happens. We're Indiana, they're Michigan, and they're Ohio State or even I don't know. Can't to give anybody else that you would have said that.
Speaker 1: About with the Big ten is it's so top heavy and pretty much everybody below below Indiana and the rankings is kind of mit, if.
Speaker 3: We're being honest, Yeah.
Speaker 6: It'll all work itself out though, and I probably shouldn't throw that disclaimer out there as much as I do, But like, I still think, even though we know it's all gonna work itself out, it's still you know, maybe I'm a nerd, but it's I think it's interesting and fun to kind of just go back and forth with each you know, when it comes to each team's resume, because you know, there are some some of these decisions that you see that you're like, wait, what the hell were they thinking? All right, quick break, we got two more hours left, so stick around. Zack Barnette Footballcoop dot COM's gonna join us coming up here. On the other side, Coffee and Company feel about Thorton's that's us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety