Speaker 1: Hey guys, it's Jack. I just wanted to talk to you today about a way that you can help support the podcast if you're not already to support the channel is to become a Patreon member. So we have Patreon memberships that start at just five dollars a month, and when you sign up, you get access to all of our episodes add free. That's the big bonus for that. I mean, we also do some Patreon bonus episodes for our subscribers, but this is the biggest and best way that you can support the Teamhouse channel and podcast if you'd like to, and we really appreciate that, So go and check us out at patreon dot com, Slash the Teamhouse, Special Operations, cobt.
Speaker 2: OS, Spiona, The Team House with Your Hopes, Jack Murphy and David bark.
Speaker 1: Hey, Welcome to episode three hundred and four of The Teamhouse. I'm Jack here with Dave and on tonight's show is Justin Warrez. Justin served in fitth Special Forces Group, deployed to Iraq, also served in nineteenth Special Forces Group, and then he went into the private sector and started a company called KRG and today is working for j Golt Aircraft working on some pretty interesting projects there. We're excited to talk to you tonight justin thank you for coming on the show.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me fellas. I'm excited to be here. I've been listening to you guys for quite a while now, so thank you. It's cool.
Speaker 1: So we've got a quick ad read to do before we jump into the interview.
Speaker 4: Here, So we want to get a shout out to our sponsorn, ghost Bad. So. I'm a very hot sleeper. I wake up in the middle night's sweating. I have to have a fan on me at all times. And if you're like me, if you sleep hot at night, you know just how disruptive it can be, whether you're having trouble falling asleep, you're waking up sweating in the middle night, or all of the above. That's where ghost bed can help. As the makers of the coolest beds in the world. Ghost Beed is your go to for cooling mattresses, cooling pillows, and even cooling bedding. From their signature ghost Ice fabric to patented technology that adjusts your with your body temperature, every ghost Sped mattress is designed with cooling in mind. So whether you want a pleasure mattress that cushions your shoulders and hips, or a firmer option with exceptional support. Your ghost bed will keep you cool and comfortable.
Speaker 5: All night long.
Speaker 4: When you purchase a ghost bed mattress, your comfort is guaranteed. You can try out your mattress for one hundred and one night's risk free.
Speaker 5: And make sure it's the right fit for you.
Speaker 4: Plus, they offer free shipping and most items ship within twenty four hours. If you're not sure which ghost bed is for you, check out their mattress quiz. You'll answer a few questions and get your personalized recommendation. Or reach out to the friendly team of experts for.
Speaker 5: All the help you need.
Speaker 4: Even better, Team House listeners can get fifty percent off site wide for a limited time. Just visit ghost sped dot com slash house and use code house excuse me at checkout Again, that's ghost sped dot com slash house with code house at checkout and save a whopping fifty percent off site wide, Save on your air conditioning bills, and get a ghost bed.
Speaker 1: All right justin let's uh, let's jump into it.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: Tell us a little bit about your origin story, about how you grew up and and what your path was that took you towards the army.
Speaker 3: Sure. Yeah, So I grew up in a small town of Wyoming, came from you know, poor family pretty much peasants basically on both sides. My my mom's side is white, my dad's side as a Mexican, and like I said, had basically peasants all the way back. But I was fortunate that my parents realized the importance of well, first of all, they wanted a better life for me. And I should probably clarify when I say poor. We weren't dirt poor like you see in some places, like the kind of poor I saw in like the South for example, when I when I joined the Army and went over to the Carolinas and stuff. But anyways, Uh so my parents realized that, uh, the way to improve your life was through education, and so that was a that was the value in the family early on. And ah that kind of led to me being as far as I know, the first one in my family to go to college, to go to like a four year college. Uh. Being from Wyoming is you know, has lot of advantages. There's not very many people there, and it's it's a it's a fun place you can do a lot outdoor kind of activities, fishing and shooting and stuff like that. So I grew up doing a lot of shooting just you know, birds and prairie dogs and stuff like that, and target shooting and fishing and stuff like that, and you know, really really got a feel for you know, sort of being outdoors and but also just kind of the West and and that sort of lifestyle that's kind of still goes on out here today. So from you know, I stayed. I stayed in Wyoming through college. I ended up going to University Wyoming. And when I was a kid, I wanted to be a World War two fighter pilot, which of course is you know, not something you can be. But I used to watch all the shows and yeah, and you know, we used to read all the books about World War two and stuff like that, and and uh uh, but I was I was pretty a pretty poor vision. You know, all all through life. I had real thick glasses and then contacts later on, you know, as I got older. Uh fortunately the Army got me lasick once I was graduated the Q course. But so so anyway, as I kind of when I was like maybe preteen, the idea was maybe get me into the Air Force Academy. And because you know, we couldn't. No one in my family could afford to pay for college for me, and I you know, there wasn't any way I can do it. So it's either some kind of a scholarship academic or athletic or something like that. And and uh, really I wasn't athletic enough for scholarship. I was a pretty pretty good tennis player, but not that not you know, not collegiate level, I don't think so between the vision and well that was really it is his vision. And and you know, honestly, I didn't really uh try too hard dur in high school, I would say I was I was smart enough. I was kind of I kind of think of it as I was cursed with being smart enough to not have to really work that hard in high school to get through, which is it sounds like a kind of a good thing in a way, but it's actually not, because, as you learn in life, the key to success is not to be smart. It's actually to be resilient and to keep pushing through when you have when you've come up against challenges, you know, academically or what have you. Uh So Anyways, ended up going to University Wyoming, and my dad had pushed for me to you know, go into the medical field. Is you know, he saw that as a way of of you know, attaining a good income, status, social status, all the kind of stuff that you think is great when you know you're come from an immigrant family or come from a poor family, whatever whatever it may be. But I think I really just never had the passion for that. Nevertheless, I ended up getting a pre med degree from University Wyoming, and and I was all set to go to med school. I'd take my MCATs. I had already started applying, I was kind of midway through the application process, and then September eleventh, but you know that the attacks and those happened in my senior year would have been obviously two thousand and one, but I graduated. I waited until I graduated in two thousand and two, and I signed up like a delayed entry or something like that. I can't remember when exactly I signed up, but I left maybe a few weeks after I graduated. I left for basic training.
Speaker 1: And so this is, if if I recall correctly, so after nine to eleven happened. Don Rumsfeld decided we needed more special forces and that brought about the eighteen X ray program. And was that how you enlisted through the program?
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. Yeah, I had looked so probably you guys heard this story. But I saw the movie Block Hawk Down, and that got me thinking. It just sort of opened my eyes to some of the some of the things that were that were available, you know. And obviously it portrays the Rangers and Deltas as these super cool guys, right, and it's like, oh man, that's really neat. But the other thing that that that movie did was showed me that, you know, sometimes there's stuff going on that you know, you don't know about. And not that I don't know exactly how to described this, but there's people that are doing things I'm half of the country that know that people don't know about and I don't know that. Uh, I don't know how to really describe it, but it kind of it kind of spoke to me a little.
Speaker 1: Bit like it was something you wanted to be a part of.
Speaker 3: Well, it was something that I didn't want to not be a part of. I think, you know, because I didn't want to be sitting idly by. I guess it's kind of where I'm going with that, you know. Ah So anyways, forgive me, I'm just getting over a cold. I was up in Vermont cold last week.
Speaker 5: But uh.
Speaker 3: So so between the watching this movie and then and then the Texas September eleventh, you know, it was actually my brother and I we just got together one day and we sort of simultaneously started talking about, hey and think about joining. And we'd both been doing the research on SF and and H and rangers. Really that was the two kind of routes we were looking at. And somehow we had learned about the X ray program, which yeah, had just just come about. And it turns out we were we He left in like April O two and I left in JUNEO two. We were in some of the first two classes X rays that went out. Yeah, so we were we were very fortunate because you know, we all heard horror stories of you know, trying to get going to the regular army and then get into SF or rangers, and our in our basic class it was half it was half X rays and half rip contract guys. And uh none of the rip contract guys made it because they were all infantry and rangers didn't need infantry at that point. So we were fortunate that we chose the way we did. And uh, A lot of a lot of the guys that I was with in Basic were had come out of college or super good dudes. Uh, and most of the most of us made it as x rays.
Speaker 1: What was that like going through the X ray program and like the I don't know if SOPSY had been stood up yet, what was it like as a very young guy or a young ish guy you got college under your belt, but still new to the army and going through all of this stuff for the first time.
Speaker 3: It was pretty wild. I got to say, Uh, you know, a lot of a lot of discomfort, you know, is uh kind of how I guess you could say. But we ended up we were we did have SOAPSI, so we did you know, Infantry Airborne School. Uh, and and then we got to SAPSI and up till then, I hadn't been super impressed with the Army. I gotta say, and I'm not trying to hopefully I'm not sounding like Arragon or anything, but there was a lot of silly stuff that they had us doing. You guys know how basic is. It's a lot of stuff and it's like, really, this is the army and then Airborne school is supposed to be tough and you sort of run around like at a walking pace. And ah, so we got to SAPSI and then we saw what stuff was really about. And yeah, we had a SAPSY instructor. He's pretty he was pretty famous at the time. His name is Ralph Ralph Jensen. He was this German guy from tenth group and he was a scuba guy who had I don't know how he got to SAPSI. I heard he I heard he did something wrong, you know, and group got sent over there. You know how it is. Nobody wants to be there.
Speaker 5: So uh.
Speaker 3: Anyways, Jensen was brutal to us. I mean he just worked us, you know, it worked us over night and day. I mean pool, pool, pt just everything just low crawling through the through the sand pit, you know, pouring water and it's all just all the stuff everybody goes through, you know. Ah. But at that time, it's like, wow, this is this is pretty intense stuff. And and I don't know if more guys quit and sopsy then than the rest of the course, I'd say I'd say there's a chance there was more guys that quit there, Yeah, than then quit later on because it was it was pretty brutal. And and when it came time for selection, Uh, selection was was not wasn't as intense as what SOPSY was. With the exception of it was the weather was a lot words, which made it pretty miser really for us.
Speaker 1: So you think the SAPs course, as brutal as it was, it did a pretty good job of preparing you guys for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean we were landing Evan all the time, and and uh, you know there was a lot of gut checks in there. And I remember, you know, I kind of think of of my path in life. The success that I've had is it's it's uh, it's dependent almost as much on the things that I didn't do, some very key, key sort of crossroad points where I didn't I didn't take an action, and and uh it's as dependent on those points those things as as the positive actions that I did take, like for example, joining as a as an x ray. But the first one of those was in Sapsey and and uh, I remember we were landing Evan in the rain and there was a there was a guy in with us. I didn't think much of him. He was a you know, kind of small, kind of just not just not that impressive of a guy, I thought. And and I was going through there, and I hadn't really got the hang of land that have yet, So I was kind of half lost and walking through the woods with whatever it was, sixty odd pounds on her on my back, just miserable, and and I I was, I was kind of just wanting to quit, you know. Of course, I don't know if you guys had this, but they always had the threat of sending us to Korea or the or the deuce eighty second, So that was that was a pretty good motivator to keep us from quitting. But anyway, so I'm thinking, ah, maybe the Deuce ain't that bad. And then then pops into my head, pops this this guy who's in Sopsy with us, you know, and and he's like, you know, SF just isn't for everybody, That's what he's saying to me in my head, and so I was like, fuck you, I'm not quitting, and uh, and so I pushed on and so that was that was sort of one of those sort of key like uh, crossroad points in my life. Then it was like I pushed on. I you know, made it through sopcy and made it through selection and the course and all that stuff. But uh, kind of a strange kind of occurrence there because I never really had something like that happening again.
Speaker 1: And so you go on to the Q course. Uh you were in eighteen Charlie.
Speaker 3: I was, Yeah, I was afraid I was gonna get assigned a delta to be a delta.
Speaker 1: Because of your medical background.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I wasn't like a E. M T or anything like that. You know, a pre med degree is basically just science, you know, physics and biology and math. But I don't think they knew about it even and I didn't. I'll I wanted to get deployed as quickly as possible, so I wanted to be I don't want to be an echo. And Charlie's sound groups sounded great, you know, construction and explosives, that sounds pretty awesome. So yeah, I got to sign a Charlie and it was very fortunate for that.
Speaker 1: And then you get assigned to fifth Special Forces Group, Fort Campbell, Kentucky. What was it like hitting the ground there. We're still sort of early on into the War on Terror? What is it like two thousand and four, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Late two thousand and four. Yep. It was a pretty intimidating environment actually because you know, the Fifth Group guys were the ones that went in Afghanistan, you know, and and they were the ones that were taking the fight to the enemy, doing the bulk of the work up up till then. You know, I know, other groups have been coming online, but a lot of it had been Fifth Group, and so there were guys there who were pretty you know, salty, pretty crusty guys, you know, combat experienced, and uh So it was intimidating partially because also because Fifth Group had such a reputation. I mean, it was like it was sort of like going to Ranger Regiment, you know. And I'm not you know, I'm not saying it's like that. I never been to Ranger Regiment, but just the idea in my head, it was like Fifth Group wasn't the relaxed, you know, long hair and everything, you know, a cool guy, uh kind of gentleman school kind of kind of environment. It was like it was it was the hard asses and we do everything the hardest way possible and that kind of stuff. So so it was intimidating and and you know, I had I had some advice from from a guy who was who was uh who was in Jaysock. I was riding dirt bikes with him, and he told me, you know, if you get a chance, volunteer for like the hardest, the hardest things that you can, you know, so the hardest school, scuba school, stuff like that, you know, and because you always want to you want to get to the higher levels of of of group and and and the army. And when I got to group, the the I leave as a company sergeant major might have been the time Sergeant major. He's like, well, I don't think about where where where I should send you. We got the slot open on the scuba team and a couple of other teams, and I'm like, and I hated from from sopsy. I hated the swimming, I hated the pool. I hated all that stuff. And so I didn't I didn't go to the to the to the dive team. And looking back, that was probably a mistake, although you know, I don't. I don't regret it, you know, a ton really, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear, well, we.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some guys are real into that kind of stuff. It's one thing if you're just doing it, uh, if you go to dive school just just to challenge yourself. But I still have zero interest in swimming or you know, water or anything like that, scuba diving, that kind of stuff. So anyways, I.
Speaker 1: Was just gonna ask you what team you did end up on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I went to five five one, which is uh, you know, I would have went to Triple Nickel, I think is the is one, which was a pretty notable team at that time. And even five five one had done some some pretty good work in Afghanistan in the early days and have been written up in the like the Soft Journal or something like that. I can't remember, but like I said, when I got there, or you know, I mentioned earlier, when I got to the team, I will was the I was the senior Charlie right off the bat, and most of the guys didn't have much experience at that time.
Speaker 4: It's interesting that you say that they didn't have a lot of experience, so you know, guys were doing their hard time and then kind of getting out because the rotations were so rough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they weren't. And I don't know if that's if the contracting world was pulling the guys, you know, with that lure of the money. I don't think they had introduced the what they called the Devil's money at that time was one hundred and fifty K bonus to stay in once he hit eighteen or whatever. I don't know if they had that, but the contracting world there was a big that was a big draw, and I don't know if they were doing that or not, or were just so tired of being in Afghanistan and whatnot, because it was those guys were. They weren't living like we lived when I deployed. We lived and Saddam's mother in law's palace in Baghdad. You know, we weren't living hard like those guys were. So I don't blame them, you know, for getting out. And it's not like they just got the group in two thousand and one. You know, those guys have been there, right, so they had already been in the army a while.
Speaker 1: Let me do a insert a quick ad read here and we'll jump back into the interview. I just want to tell our viewers about Mando. You've probably heard us talk about Mando Whole body deodorant before we saw doctor Shannon Klingman in ads and saw Mando on TV, and so this is a sponsor that was recommended to us. And the interesting thing about this is that, yes, you can use this on your whole body. Your whole body. It's dermatologists tested and gentle on all of your bits. It controls oder for seventy two hours. It's clinically proven. You can choose from four alone quality sense, or get uncented if you want to get stealthy. So I've been using the deodorant for a few weeks now I really like it has a good smell. What do you think?
Speaker 3: Not bad? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it holding up right there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The ad wants me to get graphic too, So I mean I guess you went for it. So yeah, you can put it on in the morning and it's good all day, even if you go to the gym, you go on a run, whatever you gotta do, it still smells incredible. So I truly can't recommend this product enough. Are you ready to make the upgrade to Mando? New customers get five five dollars off Mando's best selling starter pack with the code teamhouse at chopmando dot com. So go and check that out again. New customers get five dollars off Mando's best selling starter pack with the code Teamhouse at Shopmando dot com. The starter pack is perfect for new customers. It comes with a solid stick deodorant, cream tube deodorant, two free products of your choice like mini body washed or deodorant wipes, and free shipping. So again, luckily we have this discount discount code for you to get you hooked up on our favorite smelling whole body deodorant. You get five dollars off that starter pack with our exclusive code that equates to over forty percent off your starter pack. So use the code Teamhouse at Shopmando. That's s h O P M A n D dot com.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys, and then our second start or third sponsor, Fabric Life Insurance. If you have anyone relying on you on your income, then you should seriously consider having life insurance.
Speaker 5: Is as simple as that. A term life insurance policy.
Speaker 4: From Fabric can help give you peace of mind that the people depending on you will have some financial.
Speaker 5: Support if if something unexpected happens to you.
Speaker 4: Fabric by Gerber Life is term life insurance you can get done right here, right now.
Speaker 5: You could be covered right.
Speaker 4: From your couch in under ten minutes with no health exam. If you've got kids, and especially if you're young and healthy, this is.
Speaker 5: The time to lock in low rates now.
Speaker 4: Even if you have life insurance through your employer, it may not offer enough protection for your family and it may not follow you if you leave your job. Fabric has flexible, high quality policies that fit your family and your budget, like a million dollars in coverage for less than a dollar a day. It's all online and on your schedule, so apply when it's convenient for you. There is absolutely no risk, there's a thirty day money back guarantee, and you can cancel any time. Fabric was designed by parents for parents, and now they partner with Gerber Life, trust by millions of families like yours for over fifteen fifty years.
Speaker 5: They have over nineteen hundred.
Speaker 4: Five star reviews on trust Pilot with a rating of excellent. Fabric is more than life insurance, free, digital wills, investment accounts to invest in kids' future, and more, and you can mandate it all from your phone. Join the thousands of parents who trust Fabric to help protect their family. Apply today in just minutes at Meetfabric dot com slash Teamhouse. That's meetfabric dot com slash Teamhouse. Meetfabric dot com slash Teamhouse. Policies issued by Western Southern Life Insurance Company. Insurance Company not available in certain states. Prices subject to underwriting and health questions. And you should have a will and you should have life insurance, particularly if you have young children. Meetfabric dot com.
Speaker 1: So justin tell us a little bit, you know, is you don't have to like name names or get into personal details that you don't want to. But I'm interested if you could talk about your ODA about five to five one, Like what were this of characters like and and start walking us through like getting prepped up for deployment in two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, so you know most of the guys had uh had been there just one rotation and they had I think a year max group for a lot of guys. Like I said, I was a senior Charlie. So I was all here, I'm all amped up because I'm gonna take over, you know, take over all the Charlie duties and I'm gonna I'm gonna build as a castle and you know, just go crazy with Charlie stuff and a lot of us were like that, Well, you know, we had I think two other X rays on the team at the time, and so we're pretty young team. And but we did have our team sergeant, our first team shot at the time was it he was a silver Star winner and so he was like, you know, he was like amazing in my eyes, like he could do no wrong, and uh, yeah, he was. He was kind of a wild guy. I remember in our you know, you do your you know, your pre mission prep and all that stuff, and then you brief the company commander on what's your mission is going to be, what's you know, just to hold that whole commander briefing before you deploy, and and I remember the he was saying some wild stuff. I don't remember what all, but the company commander was a super sharp guy. Ended up going up to the Pentagon and he's like, okay, so what kind of what kind of numerical superiority are you guys looking for when you engage the enemy in combat? And and my team sergeant said thirty to one And a company company commander says, you want thirty guys for every every shithead? And no he's he says, oh, he says if there's thirty of them for every one of us we're going in and so I think I think that kind of played into some events that followed. And you know, it ended up that the guys had they had sort of misstep on the previous deployment, and they didn't really do anything super wrong, but they had done some gray area stuff trying to help out, trying trying to right or wrong a mistake that that one of the guys had made. I won't get into it too much, but they were they were trying to do the right thing, but they just went about it the wrong way. And you know, it wasn't any kind of war crime stuff like that. It was of financial related stuff.
Speaker 1: Is this the story about the team that had the kiddie and they kept putting money into the kitty and then taking it out.
Speaker 3: There wasn't a kiddy. I've heard the story get distorted a lot of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that could be the case too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there wasn't a kiddy. But they they they they got creative and with some financial stuff basically. But anyways, we we had a warrant who wasn't well liked, and we had been through a series of warrants. We had a guy who came out of seventh Group who was wearing a silver star that he didn't earn and in one of the Baalian formations. So we went through like three warrants. Yeah, it was brutal. We finally get this warrant and we think he's going to be good. He was. He was a stud, a physical stud, but he just was such an asshole and nobody liked him. And and I think he was getting booted off the team. I think he's getting voted off the island basically. And and he went to uh to the Jaggers whoever, and said, hey, this team did this, you know. Anyways, he told them all the all the stuff, all the secrets, you know, Like I said, nothing was that bad. But in my eyes, I wasn't worried about anything. But anyways, they right before we deployed, they they dispersed the team, you know, disbanded the team and uh everyone went different places. And I ended up uh deploying straight into up see Jasoda and ballade like high high level command, you know, and I was a I forget what they call it, but the battalion rep up there and I'm an E five and surrounded by you know, colonels. Colonel McDonald was running the whole show in the whole country at that time and brief in him every day, and everyone else that's doing the job as as generally an eight I think, because it's all guys who were combat weary and you need a little downtime or something like that. Anyways, I spent the first maybe half of my first deployment at see Josoda doing admin stuff, and I was absolutely miserable, obviously, as any team guy would be up there. I did meet Vince mackel up there, a hell of a good dude, and a lot of good dudes up there, you know. But that was the first time I got exposed to sort of a toxic political uh sort of just that sort of a leadership, that sort of top high level leadership environment, you know, just the kind of stuff that you hear about and just dread about that goes on at the top levels of command. And I saw all that stuff firsthand. And and there's a lot of dudes that cared, especially Colonel McDonald really cared a lot about the guys. But the overall attitude and kind of how I describe it is, or I think of it as like they all felt like they could just win the war if they could get these goddamn pesky team guys out of the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it.
Speaker 3: Was really really kind of tainted my view of things. And on top of that, I was really pissed off about the team getting disbanded because the team sergeant got prosecuted and the team's team leader got prosecuted both. And yeah, so so two guys that I looked up to were just prosecuted for some what I considered total bullshit and not just just one of those things where you're like, hey, the leadership should have said, hey, you had the right intention, you've dumb about it, you know, move on kind of thing. But uh yeah, so they I kind of got. I kind of got that glimpse of that view of officers stabbing each other in the back and shit talking and stuff like that, and I saw how the ground truth gets twisted ten degrees or twenty five degrees at every step until at the top of the chain it's one hundred and eighty degrees and they have absolutely no idea what's going on, right, all right, so it's their idea is one hundred and eighty degrees out I guess is more accurate. So, but there was there was good things to it too, of course, but but yeah, that was just a miserable time, unfortunately, I was. They brought back the team together and and then finally sent me down, uh back to the teamhouse, which was in Baghdad, just south of the Green zone there.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's interesting. They reconstituted your team like halfway through the deployment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they pulled most of the guys back, we enlisted guys. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting, And so I they found you guys, a new team sergeant, new team leader.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think we didn't have a team leader, but we had a team sergeant. He was he was a hell of a good guy, but he was a real weak team leader. Probably probably one of the nicest guys you've ever meet. But he should never have been a team leader or a team sergeant. Sorry.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if he wanted to be a team sergeant, but he was. He was miserable, I could tell, and and things just evolved, you know, because you can't you just can't have a weak team sergeant.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I think of an SF team as a as a pack of wolves, you know. It's uh, it's a bunch of people with big egos and who who think they're badasses, who think they that they know how to do it best. Uh, and you need a strong leader who can basically wrangle all these guys and basically channel all that energy.
Speaker 1: Jim Jim Morris, who was a team leader in Vietnam, he described once in his one of his books that being a team leader on an ODA is basically being the manager of twelve pre madonnas. There's quite a bit of truth to that, but there is that what comes with that, There is also a lot of capability too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean the guys were when you know, everyone's everyone is studs by that point, right, and uh, you know, when you think of like the guys being in shape guys, the guys were all you know, you had guys who were like real studs on the team compared to everybody else. But then when you take a team guy and you take him out to the civilian world, it's like the slowest out of shape team guy is you know, destroys the pavilion. Uh, you know, world as far as fitness and stuff like that goes. And then you have all the capabilities obviously that that you know on top of that, But not to disparage civilians, I'm just saying that's the that's the the standard of of s F is that even if you're the slowest guy, you better be a damn good runner. And you know, if you're the weakest, you better be still strong. And you know, you got to be able to rock really well and carry a lot of weight even if you're a small guy. So yeah, there's there's a lot of there's a lot of strong personalities basically hopefully not too much of the prima donnas like some other branches have, but but yeah, you need a strong leader, and we didn't have one, and so it was it was not a pretty time on that deployment. Uh, we didn't. I don't think we're super productive. You know, the guys wanted to go out and be but you know, we just weren't. And you know, we did what we could.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean you kind of started off on your back foot there too, with a team being disbanded and then reconstituted halfway through. And as you said, there you're you know, no team leader position there. Yeah, you guys kind of got you know, that's pretty tough for anybody to kind of go through. But I mean it sounds like there were guys on the team to trying to get you out the door, get you out doing things.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we were. We had some very aggressive guys. I mean we and I was aggressive.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I wanted to go out and take my sniper rifle and go out into the city if I if I would have been able to, I would have just walked out at the gate of our compound and just went out and set up a sniper position, started shooting guys.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: What they you know, we didn't have Essentially, we were like a brand new team at that point, and I was a brand new guy the group. No one's gonna let us do that kind of stuff, you know. So I was playing all kinds of crazy stuff being a Charlie and I was super into explosives and whatnot and unconventional warfare. I was rigging up schemes to uh, you know, install you know, remote detonated bombs in places to take out key leaders and stuff like that. I mean, I was, I was pretty gung ho, you know.
Speaker 1: So I take I take it that that con op did not get approved.
Speaker 5: I take it.
Speaker 3: No, you know, that was kind of the day before con ops were really that first deployment was was before con ops were had really taken a hold as much as they would later on. And I probably didn't see that the con op process anyways, maybe they where I just didn't know about it, you know. But but yeah, so we ended up kind of you know, doing doing what we could and and whatnot. And we definitely did some some ASO work and stuff like that, and you know, drove around in Lovez with you know, in in Hodgey vans and stuff. Was still no this this has been a bag dad. Yeah. So I was at the same we ended up. The team was at the same house for for both deployments that I was at, which was just south of of the Tigris River, just south of the green zone there. So it's a pretty It was a really cool compound. I had an amazing range set up there. I had a thousand yard maybe maybe it's nine hundred meter something like that range going, just really cool, uh set up. We had a big flat range for the training the jun d's and stuff. Yeah, so I was glad to get out of ballog for sure.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like, you know, you guys weren't as you know, productive as you had wanted to be, or maybe some of the other guys on the team wanted to be. That deployment Well, walk us through redeploying back home, and now you're kind of getting ready to go right back out the door again, right, you know, like you said, to the same place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, essentially. So as soon as we got back, I had, uh, there had been a position that opened on the there're third Battalion, let's say, Charlie Company, third Battalion. They're making an OPE company. Yeah, and so I was like, oh, that sounds interesting, you know. So I was going to go do that, and then uh, I don't know, I just decided not to for some reason, you know, but I they ended up sending me the Fox Course, which is really where I hit my stride in group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just want to I'm gonna I'm going who vaguely allude to this this so the OPE Company Operational Preparation of the Environment is doing like some more unconventional intelligence stuff, and that company, as I recall, they were all going to be like long hair teams and all this kind of stuff. I don't know how much of that actually happened. But and then why don't you tell folks about the eighteen fox course and what an eighteen fox is for people out there.
Speaker 3: Who don't know, Oh yeah, I'd love to the So eighteen fox is the intel intel sergeant and essentially what that is is it's not it's like it's almost like an all source intel analyst. Basically, you're the guy on the team who's responsible for developing intelligence to target and developing targets for the team to go prosecute. So you know, you're doing everything from reading uh intel reports that are coming from the agency, from other teams, uh regular Army, and and you're obviously anything your own team is is producing and you're you're in a lot of ways an analyst. You put that information together, you start developing a target packet and and uh, it's it's a really interesting job, you know. And and part of it is is you know you're yuh planning out that uh you know, you do a lot of not a lot, but doing the doing the uh Terrade models, like real detailed Terrade models, so so that the team can see which building you're hitting, how you're gonna how you're gonna park the hum V is how you're gonna flow through the buildings that kind of stuff. It's it's really a really dynamic kind of thing, and there's a lot to it. The course itself was like three months long, maybe maybe more, I can't remember, but it's at Bragg there and they go over a lot of stuff. It's you know, you learn photography, uh, you learn like mapping software, so you can do you can do a lot of interesting things with with mapping software as far as uh, you know, figuring out points of observation and and and uh you know infield points and stuff like that. Uh. And so you learn that kind of stuff. You learn and how to how to pull intelligence off of them, you know, from the agency and everywhere, like I was saying, but also from from just open source stuff and how to how to do that and how to interact with like the sauda's and and then it goes down to prosecuting the target and then and then the aftermath doing the s S and you know, how do you exploit the the information and the stuff that you're picking up off the objective and that kind of thing. So really, uh, a really dynamic kind of it's kind of a high h end up being pretty highly trained, I guess after that is what I what I would say, it's one of the probably one of the longest courses, and uh you know sef I would think, apart from the Q course, about as long as as uh as probably the level three course, I would guess, but you get a little bit of that too.
Speaker 1: But go ahead, I was just gonna say. And and then afterwards you went back to five five one to be the intelligence sergeant on that team.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, and I was still only I don't know if I was even in A six by that time, and that's typically an E seven slots, a senior guys slot. But they, you know, they sent me because I had an aptitude for learning and that kind of thing, you know, I had an agree you know whatnot. But then probably no one else wanted to do it either, because there's you know, paperwork involved in that kind of stuff. Uh So, went back to five five one, and we didn't have much of a train up, uh and and much time to get ready before we before we deployed again. But we got a new team sergeant who was uh he was a stud and he was from from the stale. He was from A one to five. The name is Robert Pittman. He was later killed UH working as a contractor or. He was working for.
Speaker 4: UH.
Speaker 3: I believe a w G. Although I'm not sure on that one. After he retired UH in Afghanistan. But UH pitt was was UH. He was a hell of the leader. And he was one of the first, one of the first and one of the few actual good leaders that I saw in the army. And UH, and I don't I still don't. I couldn't tell you how to be a good leader. I'm not a good I'm not a leader myself, but I certainly can see it when it When I saw it, you know, I could identify it.
Speaker 5: What did you identify?
Speaker 1: And Pittman that you know, struck you as like, yeah, this guy's on it.
Speaker 3: Uh. Part of it was, you know, he he knew what he was doing, so he was tactically proficient. UH. He was a hard ass. And so he didn't he didn't he didn't let the guys slack. And he didn't you know, sort of sort of back down or kind of let let guys influence him too much, or like a do we really need to train today? That kind of thing. You know. It was he had the discipline and uh, you know, and but but he also what not only is tactically proficient, he was a stud with PT you know, so he kind of he kind of had the skill set combined with the only thing I can really think of a of a trade of a good leader is like self self assured and self confidence. You know, there's and and uh, just know, just being sure that you're right when you're making a decision. And that's a that's a difficult thing, I think. And then and he had that, you know, he was he wasn't he wasn't arrogant, he you know, he was he was just confident that he knew the way forward and that you needed to keep pushing forward. It's just like when you go in the house. You know, you don't stop in the doorway. You push, you push through and and you make decisions on the fly and you just trust your training and your instincts.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a bit of a cliche, but I mean I once heard someone say that a leader is someone who takes the team somewhere that they couldn't go without them, right, And it sounds like he was that type of team sergeant that kind of filled that void that was left by some of the previous leaders.
Speaker 3: Absolutely when I when I e T S, you know you do your uh your interview for your final uh and c oe are I think it is or whatever? And I told him, I said, uh, you know, this team was one of the weakest teams in group and with the same personnel. Effectively we had to change of leadership and now we were one of the best teams in group.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 3: You know that's that that is a kind of difference.
Speaker 5: Amazing.
Speaker 1: So tell us about that deployment going overseas with him.
Speaker 3: Well, uh, we we were set up to Taji at first, actually, which was a pretty nasty place, a lot of stuff going on up there on I DS and whatnot. We are pretty hungry to get in the action. So uh. He rode me pretty hard to always have targets on deck. He wanted, I forget how many, like ten targets are like ten target folders ready to go at any one time. And so it took me a while to kind of find my footing because I was pretty intimidated by Pitt and I don't I have a difficult relationship with authority in general.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 3: It was difficult being around Pitt at first, you know. And and I don't think he really trusted me and really thought that much of me at first, because well, I will say, I want a little bit of credit because I got the honor graduate of the Fox course, which to me, I expected that of myself because I was pretty academically advanced before I joined the Army, and so everything you learn in the Army is really not not difficult when you compare it to like college level, you know, calculus and and stuff like that. Yeah, so I expected, I expected to do well. But but apparently that turned out to be a big thing back at the company. And I hadn't even told him about it. They heard about it secondhand, and so I earned some credit that way. But but I also I had had one of my first big mix missteps with him in that first just a couple of weeks of Taji and we went out on a mission and uh, we're going to go capture this guy. And I hadn't developed a target packet the previous team had. He was some shithead who was who was out there and and and this guy had This is going to sound silly, but the guy had air conditioning at his house and if you know about Iraq, no one has air conditioning, especially like in the country, but this guy has air conditioning. And you could see on the imagery all these air conditioning ducts all over his house and stuff. Well, you know, you don't just get that by being a general good person Iraqi. Uh And and I don't remember what all else intelligence we had on him, but I remember I remember that specifically, and so we we our first mission. I think it was one of our first missions. It was going to be kind of a test of the team where we did a foot movement on foot from the from Taji from the base out to this guy's place and ended up being I don't know what it was five miles or something. I can't remember it was. It was just a grueling, grueling ordeal that we that we put ourselves through. But uh, you know, I want to make sure that I that I mentioned this because I want to also show people that I I make lots of mistakes. Uh So, anyways, we're during one of our you know, our movements. We're walking down we were actually moving on a road at this point, and uh, I had my PBS fifteen's you know, they're real heavy. That's that's a dual night vision one. They're real heavy. I had taken them off because my neck was getting tired. I put them in my pouch. I hadn't put them in there properly, and in the little pouch, they said, and they fell out. And and uh yeah, so half a mile half a mile down the road, we uh I discovered that I didn't have my nods anymore. And uh, boy, I tell you what, that's a that's a kind of feeling I don't want to ever have again. Yeah, it's just that feeling of Jesus, How how could I be so stupid? How could I, uh, you know, just do that? And and because it's a big it's a big deal. People maybe don't know it's a big deal when you lose night vision on a back on Fort Bragg or anywhere and a training mission. But when you're in country like that, and and you know, that's a that's a pretty pretty damn big deal. Anyways, when I was able to run back and find him, and a guy went with me, and we found him, thank god. I don't know what would happened to me if if we hadn't found him. I don't know if I got a court martial or what. I probably would have been kicked out of groove. But anyways, so that was that was something that that Pitt. You know, I sort of lost credit after my gaining some credit with him, but he was he was a hell of a leader. And and eventually I found you know, they moved us back to bad Dad, and I got in my groove as a fox, and I worked in the morning tonight doing intel and I'm not joking from them from the moment I woke up to the to the moment I went to bed, I was reading reports and and I basically I don't know what, I don't know how what what clicked, what what switch flipped in my brain? But I had never I'd never really considered myself that hard of a worker. I would say, I don't think I had shown that kind of tendency towards that that direction. But something flipped and and I just just poured everything into into finding shitheads and and uh and that's then we started rolling basically just hitting targets all the time. And you know, as I mentioned before, we we've turned into a DA team and we we kept pretty busy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so lay it onnest as you like get into this sort of like rhythm of uh in this sort of continuum of targeting that you're developing the intelligence, you're going out on targets, developing more intelligence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's uh, it's a pretty it's a pretty cool thing when the team's running. Well, you know, we didn't we weren't developing a lot of our own intel. We didn't have any any uh really s so qualified guys, But we're being in bag dad. We had intel coming in from everywhere. So so we were going on hits, you know, all the time as often as possible, basically, And I was doing as my damnedest to keep that target deck full. And I'm just ready to go at any time.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: We're not going out every night or anything, but but a lot more frequently than than the other teams. And uh, you know, we never really got in any in any uh you know, like big prolonged firefights or battles or anything like that. We were just and and in some ways, sometimes I look back at it, I'm like, I wish I could have, you know, said I was in this battle like you guys, remember when that religious cult came and attacked one of the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, We've talked about that on here once or twice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think if I remember right, I was in country when that was going on, but I I can't. I can't say for sure, but I bet I remember hearing about it, you know, and I was like, those guys are really getting in it. We I was kind of jealous of that, but we were doing we were doing hits, and but we were doing it in a different way because we're going in super fast and you know, the middle of the night, and we're we're blowing doors and we're snatching guys and and getting out of there, and so it was it was a little bit different kind of a of warfare, I guess for us than it was for some of those guys. But it was still you know, you know, I had a lot of times, a lot of missions where I was pretty sure I was going to die. Uh. You know, we got hit, we took an I d like everybody else has done. And uh again, I thought I was going to die on that. But I wasn't even injured. A couple couple of teammates were or one teammate and a couple of turps or one of our turps. But you know, We were doing as much as we could to try to do our part to you know, clear the battle space of guys who are doing stuff that they shouldn't be doing. And by that time things were starting to shift. Now you're starting to see the conops. Oh your con ops not doesn't have the right font. You know, we started that started to creep in right kind of over that deployment, and ah, it was started to shift towards you couldn't so you couldn't put our mission is to go kill this guy X, the X guy whatever, kill or capture. You couldn't put that anymore. It was it was capture or detained, which is like the same thing, right, But the mission started to shift as the deployment wore on from a war to essentially a police action, and the emphasis started to become on, hey, are you gathering evidence that this person is a bad guy? You know, what kind of case can we make against them in court? That kind of thing. That really started to put a sour taste in my mouth and a lot of guys too.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: So once we uh we took an id I forget when it was but towards the end of the deployment and after that I think that they worried that we were going to go back and sort of do retaliation against this area because we went over to the Uh it was just south of Solders City. I can't remember what it's called now, but I looked it up on the map one time. We were doing just kind of a presence patrol there. I don't I don't even know why we were doing it, really, but he took an I D and and and uh, you know, I'm sick. Anyways, I won't go into the details, but I was pretty upset about it, and I was determined to find out who did it, and you know, as the fox, I felt that was my responsibility. But they kind of pulled us off line and the commanded and they let another team go in and prosecute the target ran out of my.
Speaker 1: My bourbon there, so they so they brought in another team. They was that because your guys were injured or they were just like I think you had mentioned that they were afraid you guys were going to go on like a revenge spree. Uh, if they've set you loose.
Speaker 3: They didn't tell us. They didn't. They didn't say that exactly, But that's my that's My perception of it is they thought that we would go in and start killing people. And you know, in the heat of the moment, I had said that I wanted to go back there and kill everybody. And you know, obviously we're not going to do that, right, But.
Speaker 4: But there there's there's a certain amount of moral injury that I imagine happens when your team suffers a loss and you want to I don't want to say get revenge, but you want to get the justice for that, and they're like, you, guys, sit this out.
Speaker 5: We're bringing somebody else to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it didn't sit well without us, but what are you what are you gonna do? You know? And the guys we were we exercised professional discipline in the entire trip. I did myself and and the guys did. And we were not a team who was who was like a bloodthirsty team. And and especially with pitt As as our leader, you know, we were we're very professionally, we're very effective at efficient team that kind of thing. But you didn't see uh from us. There wasn't a bunch of people shot who didn't need shot. There wasn't there wasn't, you know, just just shooting even for just a hell of it. And and really that brings me kind of the next point in the crossroads in my life. Uh, that there was really impactful. I guess I didn't really realize at the time, but when I but now is it, as you know, more of an adult, I'd look back on that, and I think that was that was a pretty big deal. One day, on the second on our second deployment there, we started taking uh heavy mortar, heavy rocket fire and uh, we're so we're our compound situated right by the oil refinery in Baghdad, and we would take the compound would take rockets because everybody dow we were there. They thought we were an an agency team or something like that there the bad guys did. So we take rockets and mortars and stuff like that. And the oider refinery would take rockets and orders. And I don't know if if they got it because we were there, or we got it because they were there, what, But regardless, one of these days we started taking uh incoming pretty heavy and clothes and and and so we're looking around trying to see what's going on, and and it's this is these are rockets, for sure, not just not just mortars, big big explosions, rocking the whole area, the whole house, you know. And uh and and somebody yells out, hey, there, we got a spotter on the roof. And you know, you guys know that somebody on the roof with a cell phone during a during a rocket attack typically means yeah, that's a spotter, right, yeah. And they're calling and they're and they're directing fire onto you. So I get I get grabbed the Mark thirteen, which I which was my sniper rifle, and I always had set up and I had my whole rage range cards and you know, uh, I had the whole area laid out right. And so we see this guy, he's across the river. I want to say, he was only three hundred meters something like that. And uh and the captain gets up on the spotter and he says, and you know we and we of course I DM and draw down on him, you know, And I got my I got my dope tiled, which I think might've been point blank at that point. But the team start of comes over the radio says take the shot, and I'm on the Mark thirteen and and and I'm brought ready to shoot this guy standing there with the cell phone on the top, and he's looking at us. You know, of course he is, because there's like explosions going on, you know, he's trying to see what's going on. Well, something kind of just clicks in my head. I was like, that's a lot of that's a lot of rockets, because it was like at that point, it was like four or five maybe that had come in like, man, something's not quite right. And so I didn't shoot him, and I put around into like the ground, you know, kind of away from him, and he went away. And it turns out that it was a dang the artillery unit from that big army base. So it's down in Southwest bag down there, they're putting one fifty fives into a into a palm grove just on the other side of the or refinery because they're just doing terrain denial there and they never told us, and we thought they're yeah, we thought they were walking rockets onto our onto our compound under our house. You know. So anyways, kind of a long story. But as I think about it now, like yeah, yeah, and if i'd have shot that guy, uh, you know, how would my life have taken you know, a different turn. Yeah, because in hindsight, he obviously wasn't doing anything wrong, but probably not. Anyways, you know, some of those guys, a lot of them are doing something wrong, but you know he he wasn't, uh, And so anyways, I look at that, I kind of I kind of consider, as I said, my life has been sort of the direction of taken has been almost as much stuff I didn't do and stuff I did do right, And that was one of them.
Speaker 5: Iraq.
Speaker 4: I'm both at right and I understand there were a lot of very hard decisions being made all the time by you know, not just guys with a couple of trips under the belt, like yourself, but by you know, some eighteen year old PB two sitting in a in a you know, on the gun on a humvee that you know, you're rolling down the road and you see somebody on a cell phone and it's like is this guy is like is he going to detonate? Something like if I don't shoot him, are my friends going to die? Because I don't if I do shoot him, And he's just an idiot who's standing by a convoy with a cell phone, you know, and like those are decisions that people had to make all the time, and they never knew if they were right or wrong until after the fact, and sometimes they didn't even know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, yeah exactly. And how many how many of those guys have carried that kind of stuff? You know, who did take the shot and and you know how many how many people has that affected?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Or who didn't take the shot? And they got blown up? And it's like, was that the guy? Was that the guy that killed my friends that I could have shot and didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that's a lot of it's a lot to put on you know, a twenty twenty something, Yeah, it is. It's a lot of that's a lot of stuff there. Yeah. But uh so anyways, uh as as that as that deployment ended, that's that's when they sort of brought online, you know, the conop restrictions are becoming worse and worse. And then they they brought out they came out with us, hey, hey, don't don't target jam, which is shaw Mahdi for you know, yeah, people who don't know that's the uh Mahdi is the h MS guys. But they're the not the soones of the sh that's the sha militia. And you know, really, by the time of our second deployment, these guys are the Iraqis are fighting each other as much or more as they're fighting us. I mean, those guys are doing unspeakable things to each other, and people maybe don't realize that, but the kind of stuff that we're finding out about and whatnot, I mean just just sub human behavior on a on a lot of the part those guys there. And that's why I call them shitheads, you know. Uh, I gotta say one just as an aside. I'm always jealous of the World War Two guys who who get together with the German you know, guys at some reunion when they're sixty years old, and they will shipping about their day, you know, on their their buddies and whatnot. You hear about that kind of stuff, And I'm like, that's never going to happen for us, you know, because of because of the kind of behavior that those that they were doing, the kind of the kind of things they were doing to each other, that's just not we We're just never going to have that. And I'm kind of kind of jealous of those guys, the World War Two guys for that and maybe the Vietnam guys. I don't really know as much. But anyways, Uh, I would tell that. I would tell the guys when we got on target, we'd snatch up who we're looking for or whatever, and and I would I would tell everybody else, Hey, if you stop killing each other the America and we'll leave, We'll get out of here, because by that time, we all just want to go home, you know, why not? And and you guys know how it is, a lot of those guys didn't. A lot of the Iraqis didn't want us to leave. They want us there because they knew there was some stability with us there, and they knew what was going to happen with the Iraqi army when they when they would take over when we left, So you know, what are you going to do?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: But that was kind of the state of affairs, is basically what I'm trying to say is, you know, these guys are killing each other and then they tell us stop targeting the largest terrorist organization in the city.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so that was that was kind of the sunset of our of our tour, and then we came home just you know, shortly after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and at that point, what's going through your heads? You went to nineteenth Group at that point, were you thinking about going to school? I mean, what was kind of like going through your mind during that time period.
Speaker 3: Well so, so I got out because of sort of that bitterness of that original what happened to the team and being up there at CSTAF and seeing that kind of stuff, and then the general just a general jackassery that goes on in the army. Uh. And also I just considered that the war was over. You know, I was like, yeah, that's it's not a war anymore. So it's either somewhat of a you know, anti insurgency and her counterinsurgency and somewhat of a police police action. And and you know that's when they had the surge going on and the and the regular army. They were using the army as nation building at that point basically, which is which is the wrong thing to do. But so I got off active duty. I joined nineteenth Group because my my buddy had said that his data had been in the in the Guard s F and had a really cool experience and and I wasn't ready to sort of you know, put that all behind me, and you know, for the longest time I wished I was deployed again. I mean even back and when I was in Colorado and but not. All I wanted to do is be be deployed again. It sounds crazy, uh, but uh, but that's you know, that's how it was. You know, Uh, there was a certain Uh I tell people that it's a there's a a very interesting purity of purpose there where you're you don't worry about the power bill, you don't worry about how you're going to feed yourself so much. Uh, you don't worry about much other than the mission, doing the mission, keeping yourself alive, uh, trying to take bad guys off the battlefield, and and you know, trying to trying to keep your teammates alive and help out as many as many people as you can. You don't have that back in the States. And that's part of the that's part of the lure of being deployed. And then part of it is just there's just something about it. Like you guys know, there's something about about combat and the deployment that that you can't you can't explain to anybody else who hasn't done it. It's just it's just something. But nineteenth group was I was served in there with some very impressive people, some guys that I think very highly of. The overall experience, I wasn't impressed with. It's like, can you name me one part time NFL quarterback? That's kind of how I look at it, right. It's being Special Forces is it's it's it's something that is like a full time you're dedicated to that task kind of thing. And being in the Colorado Guard was a little bit different too. The Texas guys had an amazing experience as a hell of a unit down there. They're well funded, they're they're well regarded by the state, and you know, they keep them at that time. This is all this is all nearly twenty years ago now, but I had definitely had some good experiences and met a lot of good people in the Guard. And I didn't to play with the Guard. I was. I ended up training training up people who are going to selection. So I was like a Sapsey instructor is kind of how I ended up.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, like the guys I've spoken to like it seems with the Guard like they either love it or they hate it, Like it really goes in either direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of guys have had amazing experiences in the Guard. My buddy Matt Pacino went into the Guarden, like Massachusetts or something. Fortunately he was killed in Afghanistan, but he, you know, he was a he was a hell of a dude. He was a guard, you know, fifth group to guard and he and I think he really enjoyed his his time in there while he was there. Uh, the guys that I was with, everybody on active duty left immediately left the Guard, left that unit immediately, everybody I can think of. Anyways, it was just I don't know, I don't I'm trying to I don't want to say anything too negative. So but it wasn't my favorite experience for sure.
Speaker 1: So what was the next thing for you? You know, I guess you decided to leave the Guard at that point? And what was it like going into the private sector?
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, it's so I had obviously the Guard's part time. So when I my last little bit in the army, I had designed a rifle and when I got off active duty, I bought a lathe and a milling machine with my you know, combat pay, saved up combat pay, and I learned how to use those things. And I made this rifle. This is two thousand and seven. By a chance occurrence, I ran into some guys from mag Gol. They're they're at the shooting match and I ended up getting a meeting with them and showing them this rifle I made. And I had also made the stock for Remington seven hundred, and I caught their eye and so they hired me. And this was in you know, late two thousand and seven, and so I went straight from not straight, I mean I had a summer basically where I was just kind of chilling and working on this rifle. But then I went I went into working for mag Gool after that, and right into the firearms industry and then doing the guard thing on the side. Obvious one one week and a months deal, but that was very incredible. No one knew who Magpoll was back then. That was like just as the p mag was, I mean not even really gaining steam, just kind of starting to pick up. And I worked on the Masada, which was one of the most anticipated rifles at the time, and so Magpull went from it was in the process of going from like this no name, nothing company to yeah they made good stuff, but now they're doing this Masada rifle which became the Bushmaster ACR, and they're doing all these cool things. They got the p mag which everyone is you know, has a million of now, and so I was really on the ground not quite the ground floor, but you know, pretty early on. And they're in that process of the sort of the growth and the really exciting products coming out of magpool.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool. I mean, it's pretty cool that you designed and built your own pRIFLE in your free time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I was. I've always been kind of mechanically minded, so it was it was, uh, I don't know, I guess that's just me.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: We when I was younger, I had made a maybe some things that could be used as suppressors, you know, in case the ATF is listening. But you know, so I used to be into all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I was one of those guys, one of the charlies who went home and started making stuff in my kitchen, you know, even though they told us to be really careful about that kind of stuff. Explosives, you know, so what I'm talking about. Uh So I's just been that that kind of guy. But you know, it was very it was very fortunate too that they took a chance on me. And I was getting ready to go become a sniper for a contractor like I don't know, Triple Canopy or somebody, and then Magpull offered me that position, and I was him and and hat and my brother told me, hey, you were you were born to do this, and so that's what I so I took the Magpool position, even though it didn't pay much, because you as an SF guy, you can make a lot of money contract and sure in those days. Uh So, it was a that was a life changing experience for me. I worked with some amazing industrial designers there surprisingly not a lot of those guys had any kind of real firearms expertise as far as like the handling, the usage side of the Indian user side, you know what I mean. Uh So, I was one of the guys that they leaned on for that. And then gradually I learned solid Works and I learned the solid Works which is the three D design software, and then I became part of the design team, and I've worked on a lot of the different products that they that they put out, and then worked on mainly the three to eight version of the Masada rifle, which still has not entered commercial production, but is is coming from our company, So it's been in progress like nearly twenty years now. But I was very, very lucky, and that set me up to then transition to our own company with my you know, my brother and my business partner who was a fifth group guy with me way back even into the course, John Lucas. So before I finally got out of the Guard, I went to selection, you know, Delta selection, and I had to give it a shot. And and you know, that's kind of one of the high points or interesting points to me in my life. And uh, I didn't. I didn't really. I don't know that I was really dedicated or really that I really wanted to be there that bad. But I knew that I had to give it a shot because I was I was getting out of the Guard, so it was like my last chance, you know. I knew I wasn't going to going back to active duty. Uh And so I tried that out and I basically self selected and I quit and you know, went back to my civilian life at that point.
Speaker 1: So so that that was kind of the decision point for you, like I'm I'm out of the Army here.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I knew I was getting out of the guard. But you know, it's I had heard that everyone everyone in s fos it to themselves to go to selection to see how this is. This is the saying, I'm not trying to disparage anybody, but see how a truly professional organization is run. And and and I did, and I was impressed, and you know, I got myself an amazing shape. But in the end, I uh, you know, I think I just got wrapped up in my own head and I quit. And I've always been a pretty hot, like sort of higher level anxiety kind of guy, and just kind of I just thought, Ah, these guys, you know, I'm not what they're looking for. And also I didn't really I thought all they did was siki me and I really wasn't in love with that idea, you know, after doing it for a while. So h yeah, that's that's kind of the gist of that. But it was it really just I'm not proud of quitting, but it also just wasn't my path. Yes, it was.
Speaker 5: A decision point for you, like there there there's.
Speaker 6: Like there's no there's no dishonor there's no shame in like realizing that something isn't for you.
Speaker 5: Or that you have other priorities.
Speaker 3: Well they you know, they people used to say that in s F selection and it was like the answer to that was, well, how this is not what group is like? You know, how could you quit during s F selection? Yeah, that's not this is not what groups like. It's the right of it, you know. And I and I did never I never did find out what what delta is like. Now I've heard I've heard stuff from the guys who come on your show and stuff that you've interviewed. I'm like, man, that'd have been really cool. Yeah, you know, it isn't just a bunch of knunckle draggers, you know doing CQB. They got a lot of cool stuff going on, you know, a lot of interesting things. So I kind of I kind of was bummed about that a little bit. But at the same time, you know, my my path was set, Like you know, my brother was right. I think I was born to to be a designer, you know, and and for that in that time, it was firearms and it still is so and I still I still designed the products for KG.
Speaker 1: Tell us about that about going from Magpole to starting your own company with your friends KRG.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So we Uh, I was gonna go, I was gonna leave Magpool and then I was going to go contract in order to build up some money to then strike out of my own and my but my brother had already been contractant for oh Man, he did like four years or something. At that point. He wasn't he wasn't that far into it, but he had saved up some money and said, hey, what if I just put in this money and you get started right away? And uh and and John had this idea for this product, which was which is our boat lift. It's a little boat mob that you put on the Remickton seven hundred for for people who can't do any kind of permanent modifications to their rifles, their snake rifles, and and so we all basically just found this company and my brother funded it, and then I lived off of my you know, savings from combat pay and this, you know, working the Magpole and stuff like that, and so for we started in my garage and and that at the first. At first I did everything, you know, I machined parts and design stuff and whatnot. And and then once our little boat lift things started selling. My mom started working for free for us, and I was working for free, you know, And and it was just one of those deals where we just kind of gradually picked up steam just over the years, you know.
Speaker 1: And Monster Garage was that Monster garage. Yeah, to the building, to the shipping. That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And you know, we've had a lot of luck along the way too, and a lot of a lot of things have gone our way. You know, a lot of things haven't gone our way too. But we were we're lucky to be getting into the to this industry right at the time when every all the boats were rising, right because there was a lot of g wants spending. There's a lot of interest in firearms. And then you had, you know, without getting too much into politics, he had Obama become president and there was a lot of anti gun talks, so people were spending crazy money on firearms and everything. Uh So yeah, I was we just you know, I worked my ass off. Everyone worked their ass off. My brother was still contracting, pulling in money. I was spending my savings down and then so then I ended up using my gi bi able to go back to college and I studied philosophy, going for a philosophy degree. And then I was getting money because you get a stipend as part of the g I build. I was paying for my housing and stuff. Uh. And then I went to contracting with Blackbirds, like I had mentioned earlier. But that that and that kept U that kept us going, you know. And and I you know, I lived like a college kid, ah and didn't take didn't take money. I mean it was years you know, ramen noodles and and not not spending money on stuff. And uh. And you know, I've I've been I feel like I've been rewarded life is. I feel like life has rewarded me, uh for for hard work and then some of the some of the hard choices I made when I raised my hand and you know, said yeah, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: And that leads you into uh, you're now working with J. Golt Aircraft, another one of your companies, and so you're you're not a totally unrelated but I mean from firearms to aircraft, it's a pretty big jump.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is. So you know, again, very fortunate that we were able to grow the company. And then I want to say twenty seventeen, I was able to start taking lessons to become a pilot, and I learned to fly, and then sort of that childhood love of airplanes was kind of rekindled, you know. And I'd seen this replica Spitfire when I was in college, and I was like, man, that'd be so cool, because I figured I'd never be able to afford a real Spitfire, which they sell for around four million. Now I still can't afford one, but I wanted to get this replica. And I talked to these guys and anyways, turned out that we were taught about just going down there and buying them out, this whole company that makes these little plants. Anyways, the company was, it wasn't the deal didn't happen. It just didn't come together. But we thought, man, we could we could just make our own, which was a really neat a really neat thought, and one of the dumbest things we ever thought about, you know, all and wrapped up in one you know. But so by that, you know a few years later, this maybe I don't know, four or five years ago, I'm kind of getting burned out from just working morning tonight on the on the firearms side, and you know, I didn't have social life and that kind of stuff. I was, you know, I was very fortunate in twenty fifteen I met my uh now my wife, and that's most that's been one of those other like really defining points in my life. So that's been a big deal. But but other than that, you know, and she's been amazing and and sort of, uh, I've sort of become a little more balanced. But before that, it was just I mean, work and and and uh and exercise. That was my day, you know. So I needed to step away, and I kind of I kind of started stepping back from running the whole company, the kre GEE, which is Kinetic Research Group, and the and the kinetic comes from obviously, you know, kinetic energy, but also kinetic strikes. H. So I started to push more into the aircraft side. We said, hey, we could just build our own uh design to build our own aircraft as replica. And so that's what I've been working on. And I started with, ah, you know, all these books you see behind me, that's virtually every aircraft design book that's ever been written. And so just started going through those books and and learning and uh.
Speaker 1: You know, are you building a spitfire in your garage now?
Speaker 3: Is that what you're telling me, Well, we we've upgraded the garage, we have a hangar now, So yeah, that's that's essentially what's going on. Yeah, so we're we're several years into it and a voteload of money for sure. But it's it's a hell of a it's a hell of an experience. It's it's an incredible learning experience. And you know, I tell you it's I think everybody should. You know, life's short, and I think it's personally, I think it's too short to do one thing. And but also and some people that's not that you know, they don't feel that way. That's okay, but but I think it's also you need to always be challenging yourself and you need to keep your you need to keep your brain functioning by by learning new things and and just taking one of one of these big risks is kind of one of those things. You know, like, you know, you could do it whatever you wanted. You know, you could take up you know, the piano or something, or try to learn a new language or something like that. But I think that's very important in life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you were pretty big there justin you didn't just like yeah, let me learn Spanish on duo linga or something like that. You're a self a self taught firearms designer and aircraft manufacturer. That's a that's a big weak man. I'm jealous. You've got the type of brain that can do that. That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, I think, thank you, that's quite a compliment. But I I feel like I feel like I'm probably I may have maybe a little more intellectual capability than average, but I'm not a genius. And I don't think that any of this stuff is beyond most people. Yeah, it's the resilience. I mean, I've I've got some of these books where I looked at an equation and I was like, man, And I've had college calculus and I'm like, man, I don't understand this. And it's taken me days of thinking about it and working working through a problem a bunch of times, and then just having that tenacity really and and I never really had that before. And I think that probably came.
Speaker 1: From from s F you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's anybody could do this now. Not everybody could could do a carbon fiber spitfire and put that into production because of the just the cost, you know. But every anybody could design a small aircraft if that's what they wanted to do, you know. And and that's this is what I see as my as my life's passion and mission at this point. So it's like Victor Frankel said, you know, uh, whoever has the the uh the why I can endure anyhow? And I just push your dad, I know. But uh, you know, you guys, everyone knows Victor Frankel whatever, or they look it up. But essentially, if you have a purpose, you can overcome mountainous obstacles to achieve your end goal. So anybody could do it if they want. And so I want that. I want people to think about that. And like, you know, I'm just this. You know, I came from a poor family. No one had had any education. Uh you know, my parents were teenagers essentially when I was born, Uh, you know, pretty humble beginnings. And and I don't have any special gifts, you know, I don't have anything like uh Russell Crowe and that when movie beautiful mind you know, it's just a little bit of smarts and and the desire and and just that willingness to be uncomfortable and feel like you're an idiot. Kind of like, I don't get this, but I got to push through it. And that kind of leads me to to one thing that I that I I want to want to convey to people is that, like a lot of people now talk about how the American dream is dead, this and that and the other thing. You hear that, and it's what they what they're trying to say is that you know, oh, this new generation is never going to own a house and have two kids, and you know, that's what the American dream is. Whatever, that's not the American dream. I'm I'm living the American dream. And you know, you look at me. I'm not that remarkable of a guy. You know, nothing's really standing out about me as you look at me. But yet I've been able to shape my life in the in the way and to the potential that I feel like I'm capable. And that's what the American dream is. It's to shape your life, uh, to the direction and to the extent that you want to and that to reach your fullest potential.
Speaker 1: It's the pursuit of happiness. Right, You're you're really living that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And the dream is that part of the dream is that in America. You can do that because you don't have like a caste system holding you down where you know where I could never be an aircraft designer because you know, my parents weren't royalty or you know, it didn't weren't landowners or stuff stuff like that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: So, so the American dream is really it never was about uh being wealthy. It wasn't about having a Bugatti or Lambeaus. And you know, it wasn't none of that kind of stuff. It wasn't about having kids, It wasn't about how It was just about sort of this freedom and and uh, you know, sort of sort of this base level equality of opportunity and and as you said, this freedom for people to pursue pursue happiness. That's a bit of a misnomer. Happiness ensues from living living the right way, is how I view it. It's not something that you chase after the happiness, Ah, having that happiness is like uh money or wealth. Happiness ensues from doing the right things in life as a as a living living a good person, living in a good life, and wealth ensues from doing the right things in relation to the market right, which which is finance. People refer to as the market. The market is everything from the from the butcher shop to to to you know, the sock exchange. The market is all the stuff that the money is sort of involved in. But you do the right things in either of those arenas and you're going to the happiness is going to ensue and the wealth is going to ensue.
Speaker 4: Justin, I was going to ask you, because you know you say like you, I love how you casually tossed off Victor Frankel like everybody knows it, But unfortunately I don't think everybody does. And if you haven't read his book, Man Search for Meeting, it's it's a short book. It's an easy read and everybody everybody should read it.
Speaker 5: What are some other.
Speaker 4: Authors or some other people with these ideas that have inspired you or guided you along this way?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, that's a good question. Victor Frankel is definitely very influential. A guy named me Hi Chicks and me Hi who wrote a book called Flow. I essentially just I'm constantly rereading and re listening to it. I have an on book audiobook to him. Those are two big ones. But then also so shifting back a bit, you know, I mentioned we're poor my family's ideas of success, from my dad's idea of success was having ferraris and that kind of thing, having money to be able to, you know, do what you want, but also to kind of have the fun stuff in life. Right. But so I never I never learned it. I never learned about money because it was always a there was always an attempt to reach those things without being able to afford them. It's basically poor people behavior continues that continues to this day. Rights by buying toys on credit essentially. So when I was in the Q course, there was a guy who one day came in and said, hey, I just made four thousand dollars in the stock market, and he had been an investor, he had learned about investing and all this kind of stuff. And I thought, oh my gosh, And.
Speaker 5: Here I was.
Speaker 3: I had two cars, a sports car and I had a four wheel drive van, and you know, I had debt on maybe both of them, I can't remember. And I had a dirt bike and all these toys, right, and zero money to my name. And so that was one of the things I'd maybe been thinking about a little bit before. But I was like, man, I made all this money and have nothing to show for it, and I'm in debt and this guy just made four thousand dollars something like that in the market. And so that kind of kicked me into geared learning about money, and I think everybody should learn about money and circling back now, one of the books that was very influential for me was actually Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and the dude's kind of gone off the rails. It seems like maybe now I don't really following too much, but uh, Robert Kiyosaki, that book. I wouldn't push anybody to get any other ones, but that book, it's it's served to frame my mindset about how money works and how you build wealth. So you got Victor Frankel, and then and then Chicks and Me high on sort of this personal development side, and then and then you have uh, Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and and a host of others. I mean, I've read so many books about money, but uh, those are those are some very influential ones as far as that, because like it or not, finances are a big part of life, and it's a big part of having a happy life is having your finances in order. Yeah, so I hope those are some good, some good recommendations for people. Another one on the finance side is, uh, it's called The Richest Man in Babylon. And you know, that's an old book. It's a it's a yeah, it's a it's a fictional you know, tail, but it's it's the lessons are invaluable and essentially it's even on this list of topics, i'd come up all right, had I wrote down to mention. Really, what what he wants people to do is invest ten percent of their income right off the top. Invest it, you know, put that money away and make that and don't put it in the safe, don't put it in its savings account, don't put it in a bank. Invest it so that it makes money for you. You know. Compounding is is the what they call it, the eighth wonder of the world or whatever the other next wonder is. Compounding interest is even Einstein said that compounding is such a powerful force, uh, that you need to get it started. And and saving money is just not enough to try to build wealth. So you know, I would ask that anybody listening to this take ten percent and before you do anything else, Even if you're twenty five and you think that you got lots of time. You don't really you know, take ten percent and put it, put it in an index fund. That's what I do. I'm not giving investing advice. What I do is I put it in an index fund. You don't, I don't buy a bitcoin, don't do silly shit like that or speculative type stuff. You know, don't try to get rich quick. Take your ten percent and put it in. Put it in an index fund, a low cost index fund. I use Vanguard. I put it into vooh, which is Vanguard's S and P five hundred index fund. And and let that stuff compound. But that book is is very influential. That's that's the richest man in babylone.
Speaker 5: Justin.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate this interview, man, and you're sharing your story and all of your insights, and I think it has been a unique perspective, not just on the military, but on life too. Before we let you go tonight, I mean, are there any final things you would you'd kind of and I really like the way you interwove some of these lessons learned into your story. Are there any we failed to hit during this interview that you'd really like to tease out there?
Speaker 3: I think about the only I mean, I have a bunch of stuff. I mean, I can, I could go on and on. But you know, I've I'm forty six now, and I've I've failed a lot, and I've learned a lot of lessons. So I feel like I have a lot of things to share. I have a lot of things I want to convey to people. I have a whole article I wrote, not an article, but I started laying out sort of these principles of wealth, and not that I'm a super wealthy guy, but just from stuff I've learned from from actual, you know, life experience. But one thing that that I would like to for for sure add in to people, add into this interview is that I think, I think that as a society, we have a lack of, uh of an appreciation for the importance of exercise. And and that's in all ages, but especially as you know you're past you get past twenty five or whatever. I look at it as exercise is to to the adult mind and body, what reading is to like a child's mind, right, It's reading does something to your mind when you're a kid. It isn't just the pleasure of reading and learning facts. It's the actual deciphering the symbols on the paper, and you know, maintaining the information you're taking in the whole process. It's it's very important. I think I see as as developing the young mind, and and exercise is sort of that for your body and your mind as an as an adult. And and if you can, you know, anybody's listening to this, you know, get a little strength training and and some some cardio work in and try them once a week. Ah, run or whatever, walk up in a steep hill with weight to the point where you are breathing very hard, where you're out of breath, you feel like you're out of breath, and just get that exercise. It's done. I feel like it's done. Essentially a miracle for me because you know, when I got out of the army, I was I had a difficult transition to civilian life. You know, what's that here? Nice to have this, you know, I lost a lot of bodies, a lot of guys from group in the warm mhm when uh m hmm, when I got out, I was pretty I guess you'd say resentful of of civilians and h m m hm, m h. It's hard to explain, so forgive me.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's uh. I think even in like the Hakka Guri, the the samurai writes about this about you know, the samurai coming back and like resenting this civilians around them, like these people are fat, they're lazy, what's wrong with them?
Speaker 4: They don't have real problems. They don't understand what's going on, right, you know, they bitch about nothing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And then also that coupled with they don't know you know, the kind of sacrifice is going.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, they had there's a lot of judgment with very little information.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and uh, not that they could know, you know, necessarily because there isn't. I mean, you can make shows about, you know, what's going on, like Ristrepo for example, was a very good one, but there's still you know, it's not I don't know, it's it's just a terrible situation basically. But so I was pretty resentful for you know a lot of that stuff that all the stuff we're talking about right here, and so I was pretty you know, kind of angry, and I've I've had a I've had a like a condition which is perfectionism, since I was pretty young, which it sounds like something you put on your resume to strength.
Speaker 1: If I'm ever in one of your aircraft, I'm going to be happy about that.
Speaker 3: Though. Yeah, yeah, it can go too far sometimes, right, And that's you know, that kind of it's people think it's kind of a good thing to be a perfectionist, but it gets to the point where it basically starts destroying your life, and so it just takes away any possibility of being happy because it's you're you know, you're constantly undermining yourself aspiration possible.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm very curious though, because you know, you.
Speaker 4: Have a successful firearms company and you were also doing you know, this other company with aircraft. And one of the problems, or one of the challenges with perfectionism is this whole paralysis by analysis, and people never even get started on projects because they never feel like they know enough or the situation isn't perfect. How did you manage to overcome that?
Speaker 3: You know, honestly, I don't sometimes I don't know. Part of it was BA on the aircraft side. I had to go through all every single one of the books to basically have that satisfaction in my head that I got to that point of knowledge, and then on top of that is I brought in other engineers to go throughout my work and so to, you know, to make sure that that I know what I'm doing. And you know, they were they I don't know everything, so they're helping out too. They're doing stuff on their own. But I honestly, I don't know. I think I think I think it's again as the SF stuff, it's just you just push forver. You know, you just have to do it. You have to make mission.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And on the carre g side, it's the same way. I've designed some rifles and some stocks that are you know, incredible and as far as their function and design, and I mean that sounds like I'm bragging, but I mean just the just the amount of thought and detail is what I mean that's went into them, and the function is is beyond what's available out there and stuff like that. And I had a rifle I designed. It was planned to sort of be the equivalent of like a fine English shotgun. I mean, you guys have heard of like party shotguns probably and stuff like that, two hundred thousand dollars shotguns. Well, you know, I've worked on stuff that's been to was intended to be to that level, and that hasn't seen the light of day, partially because it's not that's not a good business decision. But yeah, some it has handicapped me in some ways for sure. But but I think again the military stuff, the s F side says, hey, this has to be done, you know, you just do it. And and also I can kind of rest assured that I I feel like I pretty much outwork anybody in the industry.
Speaker 4: So so yeah, not to delve back into a sensitive subject, but you had mentioned it when you got out, you had that resentment for civilians.
Speaker 5: How how did you overcome that?
Speaker 4: Like what what?
Speaker 5: How did you get past that or did you.
Speaker 3: I would say, I would say, still haven't entirely. Uh Uh. I'm not a I never was a people person. I was never a leader. I was never interested in being a leader.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I used to I used to be one of those people who would say, I fucking hate people. You know, that's that's the truth. You know, it's a harsh thing to say, but uh, part of its time, you know. I think I think I ended up with uh. And I don't know how this ever affected me, but I think I ended up with some probably a little bit of tv I stuff, because we used to blow doors from literally the other side of the door jam, I mean six inches you know, is Ha's how we would blow doors. It was no stand back that kind of stuff. It was I would have a uniform covered in parts of duct tape, the little adhesive of duct tape, you know, to be all over me. That that kind of thing. And and we didn't know back then, and that that was a dumb idea, you know. And and so I think there might have been some of that because we blew a lot of a lot of doors, blowing walls, blowing you know, everything, a lot of a lot of demo. Uh So I think that that kind of factored in, and then that kind of sealed over time. I think as part of it, part of it was, you know, meeting my uh, you know, my my current uh she's my fiance car my wife. But meeting her and and having this amazing relationship has as that's really helped too. You know, It's just just I don't know, I don't know, I can't say exactly what the mechanism is, but that's been a big help.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: I feel like, you know, my life took a big turn, and she's been such a positive influence. She's a very positive person. So she's been such a positive influence in my life. Uh And and you know, I want to tie in something here that I want to I wanted to mention to people too, is is, you know, for people out there who maybe haven't found their partner yet, or or who are looking to looking for a better partner, or they feel like during a bad relationship, is you know, take a look in the mirror and realize that you only deserve the kind of partner that you are to the other person. And I don't that took me a long time to come to that realization, I would say. And you know, people have a tendency to think, ah, this person is not good enough for me without thinking, hey are you? Are you even that you know, pleasant to be around? And for a lot of you know, my life, I don't think I always have pleasant to be around. So yeah, you know, I didn't meet my you know, my spouse until I was like thirty seven ish something like that. And I if we'd have met before that actually would have been able to stand and be around me. So I want people to, you know, just kind of think about that is like turn that turn that magnifying glass back on yourself and say, hey, what what kind of person am I to be around? What kind of you know, what kind of love do I put out there? What kind of affection do I put out there into the world? And you know, give what you want to receive essentially.
Speaker 1: Justin where can people find you with KRG with j gult Aircraft?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Where can people go and check this stuff out?
Speaker 3: Well, for the for the firearm side, you know, we make the long range chassis and stuff. That's our long range precision is our bread and butter. That's our focus basically on the firearm side. And and the companies are companies called Kinetic Research Group and new websites Kinetic Research Group dot com or you can just search for carre G carre G Chassis.
Speaker 4: The Uh.
Speaker 3: I'm not super involved in day to day things, so on that side, I'm not really the person to get a hold of excuse me. Uh. On the aircraft side, where we have a little YouTube channel that we started that has like one video that I put up a year ago that's jag Old Aircraft on YouTube. And and we really haven't been talking about things because we don't want to have a lot of hype and then not deliver. So we're waiting till we get the aircraft in the air before we're really uh cool, start pushing things because we're trying to sell these things, you know. But we also aircraft industries had a long history of people promising taking deposits.
Speaker 6: And then you know, I think the most important I was just gonna say, I think I think the most important question is when can can I come shoot some of your some of your systems.
Speaker 3: We'd love to have you guys down definitely. We could we go do some flying, do some shooting. We got some good ranges here, so I'm in. I'm in boys the area. Yeah, we'd love to have you guys. So anytime you if you make it out west. I know you guys are pretty far east there, but uh, anytime you guys are are coming out this way, we'd we'd love to have you. John and I are in in the Bois area. The rest of the companies up north outside of Corterley, northern Idaho. Dang, you're up to Canada. But but we're here and we got lots of toys, our stuff, we got other stuff, you know, and like I said all kinds of we can have all kinds of fun.
Speaker 5: Definitely, we'll hit you up when it gets warm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it just turned we it was, it's been really nice and and then it's it's turning now. So but yeah, come in the in the spring or the falls here amazing. Summer's brutal. It's like twos on here in the summer. But but come down for sure. And anybody on who's who's interested on the aircraft side can go look at the YouTube or they can email me at Justin at Jagault Aircraft.
Speaker 1: We'll put some links down the description for people to go check out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's you know, just be patient because I, you know, I get a lot of emails and I really try to spend my time actually doing work, like working on the plane. So yeah, and then you know on the care gen design side too, So just be patient if I you know, if I'm slow and getting back.
Speaker 1: So and I also have some wares to sell that I want to tell people about my book, We Defy The Lost Chapters of Special Forces History is coming out December ninth. It's up for pre order on Amazon now goes through Detachment A. The Undercover guys in Berlin Detachment K and Korea blue Light, the first counter terrorism unit green Light with a backpack, nuke guys and the commanders in extremist forced. So I'm excited about the book. Please go check it out if you guys have a moment.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 6: We have two viewer questions. I don't know if we have anything on Patreon d nothing, All right, First one.
Speaker 4: Thank you Bjorn. This you know you had mentioned you had mentioned selection and whatnot. But the question is ever work with a one five and how do they compare to CAG And I don't know.
Speaker 5: If you have an actual comparison for that.
Speaker 3: I don't John John was with a one five for a lot of years. I don't know how many, but he was. He was over on the sniper troop there. He'd be the one to answer that question. Maybe we can get him on with you guys. Yeah, he has a lot more time than I do. And you've got some cool stories. I don't know if you know he's not we're s F guys, right, we're a little shy and it's only recently I would even you know, want to be out there in public a little bit and whatnot. So he might have some more of that stuff. Sorry, I don't. I can't really tell how he won five compares. We always thought of those guys as a bunch of prima donnas, you know when I was on, when I was on just a regular team and and we were doing direct shack, direct action stuff, and we you know, our our team started came from me one five, so we felt like we were just as good as them. And how they compared to Delta, I have no idea, but uh, the stuff I hear about Delta is pretty it's pretty next level.
Speaker 4: So yeah, uh and then m Corbyn, thank you very much. Why was the vat U F for U course the Air the best fighter.
Speaker 5: From World War Two?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, it sounds like a Corsair fan there. That was actually my favorite plane for the longest time. It was featured in that an old show called Bob Bob Black Sheet Happy.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Pappy Boyington, Yeah, he was a quarter Laine guy, so he's a kind of local. Hebro up there. Used to love that show. That's probably one of the reasons I got so interested in it. And of course the course Air was wash an incredibly powerful engine with a with an incredibly large efficient propeller and and quite an armament and when you really look at what they're doing back then, uh, fighter performance is uh, largest most powerful engine you can find, the smallest airframe with the lowest drag that that can tolerate, you know, the landing conditions and stuff like that, because you still need to have some kind of low speed performance, especially land on a carrier. And then and then your armament and uh. And so the course air was a was a hell of a fighter. And then I mean there's a lot of nuance to it too, the size of the Alerons and you know whatnot. But I don't I don't know that I would say it's the best fighter. If you ask the Brits, the Spitfire is the best fighter, and they won't. They will not here I have word. Otherwise, you ask an American, it's the Mustang generally speaking, Uh, most people say it's a Mustang over the Course Air. So I can't. I can't say one is better than the other. The course air was was certainly amazing, and I'd love to have one. I'd love to fly one, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: And next Friday we're going to have David McCloskey, the author of the new spy novel The Seventh Four. We'll have him on the show, So that's coming up next week. Justin again, thank you for joining us tonight, spending some of your time with us and sharing some of your life experiences with us.
Speaker 3: It's been a pleasure, fellows. I really appreciate you, you know, inviting me on. Like I said, I listened to a lot of your shows, and I hope you guys just have enormous success going forward, and if if I can do anything to help help that out, I'm happy to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Justin really appreciate it. Alright, So we'll see all of you guys next Friday. Take care out there, have a nice weekend.