Speaker 1: Something you should go time out for something you should know, brought to you by Genesis GOOLDIRA dot com. That is also something you should know. You can put your retirement plan on the gold standard. Genesis Gold Group is the only IRA backed by physical gold and silver. Learn more and get a free gold and Silver guide at Genesis Gold ir dot com. Excited for a comedy call right now with very funny comedian Jessica Michelle Singleton and she is going to make her way to Sue Fall, South Dakota on October eleventh. First of all, welcome to the phone here, and I'm excited to chat with you. But have you been to South Dakota before?
Speaker 2: You know what? I actually have been the Sue Falls. God, it was like twenty sixteen on a long road trip. I probably shouldn't say this. There used to be a comedy club there. Yeah, and I did a weekend there. In minute. I think they shut down the weekend after I launched.
Speaker 1: Well, but the shows were great.
Speaker 2: They were packed and the audiences were we're incredible, so that I was like, wait, what, No, there was no one there, but.
Speaker 1: So you had to sold our crowd and you shut them down in the best possible way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was such a funny. I was like, this feels ominous, but the people were great. I grew up in Anchorage, Alaska, which is obviously far away, but it's a very just real, working class good You can like talk to your neighbor, you could ask a springer for directions people, and that's the vibe I got from the crowd. You could say any jokes, everyone could laugh at everything, and so I'm very excited to be coming back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very few people here have bodies in their basement. I mean very few, so.
Speaker 2: Well at least one person comes out. I feel like that'll be just good, good tread.
Speaker 1: No, it'll be really good. We're excited to have you here Friday, October eleventh. That the I call the Icon Event Hall and Lounge, and that is a good place for comedy show. So I think you're gonna love the space for people who have not had a chance to see you, and when you're not shutting down comedy clubs. What what kind how are you describe? How do you describe your humor? What what type of like do you get compared to another comic or how do how would you describe.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm trying to think who I get compared to the most. I don't know. I'm pretty I'm a little observational. It's personal. If you like dirty jokes, they're not all dirty, but I do get dirty. So if you hate that, that's we're going kind of dark humor and more like societal observations about the things we all do in daily life and nice. Yeah, I've been compared to such a variety of comics that it's bizarre, from Nikki Glazer to Bilbird of Sam Kinnison and Robin Williams.
Speaker 1: I love it. That's quite a swave. That's very good. I love it.
Speaker 2: I'll take it.
Speaker 1: I will take it like if Jeff done them. It's like if Jeff Dunham didn't have any puppets. That's like that if if if carat Top used no props, uh puppets.
Speaker 2: Became sentient, grew up and started their own probably.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love it. No, that is that is awesome. Well, the show is coming up intout Falls. Tickets are available now. I'm going to make it easy for people to find those tickets. But I encourage people to get out and check out the show. And this is a part of a tour You're not flying here just for this. You're like kind of going all over the Midwest doing a bunch of fun shows, aren't you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'll be coming in from Omaha the night before. Then I'm at a to Fargo, North Dakota, which that'll be a first for me. Uh. We're bouncing around all over all. Be in Montana a little bit later. So it's been a fun year of going to I'm intentionally trying to go to the kind of like slightly smaller cities that maybe don't get as much so that you know, we need from there too.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we need fun more lack we do. We need as many laughs as we can get. Now. You said you're from Anchorage, Alaska, but when we were chatting, you said you live in Los Angeles. Now, those two communities are almost identical, aren't they. There's booms everywhere you go.
Speaker 2: No, no, it was quite a culture.
Speaker 1: I was going to say that would have to be quite a difference because I've never been Anchorage. I actually my sister lived there for a while. I should have gone to visit. But from what I've been told, it is quite a different pace than something like a Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's much. It's so funny because growing up in Anchorage, I thought I live in a big city, and then I'm like, that was a fall town. Well it's just very You know your neighbor there and people get along. You can get across town in twenty minutes and you take it a mile and twenty minutes in Los Angeles and if you look at your neighbors, they're like, what I want?
Speaker 1: So what was it that brought you to LA? Was there like a job opportunity that took you there or you just wanted to be there? Why did you end up there?
Speaker 2: You know, I wanted to do stand up comedy. I was in college my senior year and I didn't open mic and it went really well, and for some reason I thought you had to go to New York or LA, and I was just it was literally the aversion from being in Alaskan weather for so long. I was like, I'm going to go to LA and try to do comedy. So I just came out here. I worked for a few years for a nonprofit helping blind and visually impaired children, and then as the snowball built type, you know, eventually went to do end up.
Speaker 1: In your person and the thing that's cool it's working, or you probably wouldn't still be there, right, Yeah, no, the minute.
Speaker 2: This stuffed working. It is so expensive here I am. I will probably be in Supitball. I'm on my way us. I'll be looking at real estate when I get there. Just in faz things take it to no day.
Speaker 1: Wow. We are excited to have you here, and if people would like to follow your journey, which social media is like the one that you say is the best for you.
Speaker 2: You know what, if you go on sixfore Instagram, they're probably next to next. I just look for at JMS Comedy on whichever your favorite is.
Speaker 1: And I just as I was clicking on here to see uh, you know, Jessica Michelle Singleton, I see that you have an IMDb page and there's a couple of a couple of credits on here where You've had a chance to do kind of some fun things, haven't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've gotten to do some some really fun things I actually like very recently shot it's in post production. The probab will be out to next year. But a horror movie with some really great people who actually they have a movie that is out I guess on the fourth this weekend, called Little Bites. It's in Flux Theaters, so it was exact produced by Shared. It's directed by Spider One, who is uh, he's in Powerman five thousand eight's a ton of horror movies. He's incredible. It was so much fun.
Speaker 1: Nice. Yeah, well we'll have to check that out as well. We're excited to have you in Sioux Falls. Welcome and I see the picture on here. I was clicking to see. I was like, I wonder if I went to that show, the one that you know caused the comedy club to get shut down when she was here.
Speaker 2: That's the story I just told you. I remember. That was so weird, it was so fun. What happened.
Speaker 1: Well, I have seen you before, but never in person. I've just seen videos online and you were very, very funny, and I'm excited to see you in person when you're in Soue Falls. Thank you for taking the time to chat.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a black Jessica Michelle Singleton going to see if we can shut down another comedy facility.
Speaker 2: Just kidding you, comedy.
Speaker 1: No, it's going to be great and we are excited to see her if you would like to, I've got a link to her page and all of her stuff. All of that at Facebook dot com slash Sue Falls Comedy. Something you Should Know. Something you Should Know is brought to you by Jenesis Gold Ira dot com. Put your retirement plan on the gold standard. Get a free gold and Silver guide now at Genesis goold ira dot com