Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to our season three finale. This episode is brought to you by Decanta jug Wine and an election that has left us all beyond stunned.
Speaker 2: We're all finding out together what happens when we put a fascist, convicted criminal back into the highest office in the world. So please sit back and revisit some highlights from each episode of season three.
Speaker 1: As we enter season four, we've decided to pivot and focus more on queer joy and queer excellence and keep our bitching laser focused into a minimum for all of our sanity.
Speaker 2: I'm your host Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: And I'm your host Martha Madrigal. Welcome to the Full Circle Table. This first episode of season three is brought to you by Decanta jug Wine and Oscar Night.
Speaker 3: Good evening, dear ones. I wrestled with the words to share with you today. I do not suffer platitudes well as we come together over the consequences of hateful rhetoric and deadly legislation. Yet again, I will never be consoled by those who claim they speak for a God who does not love her own children, all of her children. I'm angry yet again, when I cannot clearly see the road ahead. Through these two familiar tears, I thankfully remember the only advice I've probably ever taken.
Speaker 1: Keep going.
Speaker 3: Yet another family faces an unspeakable grief, a grief that terrifies them and us to our core. Next Benedict joined the ancestors too.
Speaker 1: Soon for our comprehension.
Speaker 3: Compassionate onlookers will say, let me know if there's anything I can do.
Speaker 2: Well, listen up.
Speaker 3: Next belong to a generation that holds enormous promise for better days for gender expansive humans. The best of the generations that have come after mine is so very good. They are so much more willing to say, tell me who you are, so I may know you properly. But even in a generation where our people are better understood and more often welcomed, some still become infected with a worldview insistent on othering us out of existence. Our voices remain to tell our stories, to tell NeXT's story, because love is listening. I know it's often hard to believe that, but I know all is never lost.
Speaker 1: In my life. Through many beliefs, I have.
Speaker 3: Collected far too many losses and awarded far too much grief, never quite knowing where to put the next one or the next. And I have been blessedly surrounded by chosen family, friends and true allies who embrace me on my darkest days and let my tears soak through their clothes. They remind me with their deeds as they lift my head and point the way back out here. And they remind me.
Speaker 1: To rEFInd my joy.
Speaker 3: Because our joy, our trends and queer and envy, joy, is iridescent and magical. One brilliant superpower among many love is listening. We find ourselves in a fight we did not call. Our lives have been deeply politicized. We did not ask to be anyone's politics. We never asked to be anyone's other for the sin of authenticity. So many of us know the pain of separation and division. But we are not the dividers. We are working tirelessly to be the survivors. Those of us who experience gender differently from the masses have always been here. We are not new, and we certainly aren't going anywhere. Why so many of us had to be tempered and feted garbage I can't begin to say.
Speaker 1: But we have that does not make us weaker.
Speaker 3: Trust and the transcestors that stand behind me and among you. This evening crawled so I could walk, and I will walk that others will run.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Decanta, jug wine and the iridescence of irrepressible queer Joy.
Speaker 2: And I finally decided to look and see, because whenever I see this person's name, who I only referred to as coon face ocelot meaning Candace owns Yeah, Noice, I didn't say it. I tend to look the other way, but this felt a little You were not a fan, not even a little tiny bit, and never happened. Nope, Nope. So Ben Shapiro, who we also don't like.
Speaker 1: No, we don't like him either. I haven't come up with so funny when they eat their own.
Speaker 2: Right, I haven't come up with a witty name for him yet. Ben Shapiro's the Daily Wire Sever's ties with.
Speaker 1: Can't say it, Candace olens after her embrace of anti Semitic rhetoric, Right, yeah, she got who's signing your chest?
Speaker 2: She got too awful for Ben Shapiro, Ben got damned Shapiro.
Speaker 1: Yes that is what happened. Yeah, it had sever ties with her, who has ignited a torrent of backlash in recent months for her repeated embrace of anti Semitic rhetoric. She went too far. Oh yeah, Daily Wire and her have ended their relationship. The chief executive of Daily Wire set in a statement she confirmed the news and her own post, writing the rumors are true, I am finally free. Wow. Oh yeah. She promotes, of course, misinformation conspiracy theories on a wide range of topics, from vaccines to immigrants, and joined The Daily Wire in twenty twenty one. They've stood by her over the years despite her penchant for trafficking in extremist and dishonest rhetoric. But since the October seven Hamas terror attack on Israel, Owens has repeatedly waded into anti Semitic waters as she fiercely criticized Israel, suggesting the Jewish government was committing genocide in Gaza and claiming there was a sinister small ring of Jewish people in Hollywood and Washington, d C. Involved in something quite sinister. In November, Shapiro, who by the way, is Jewish, called down Owens for her disgraceful rhetoric, blasting her faux sophistication on the topic. I love it when they do this to themselves. Ah, without directly naming Shapiro, Owens responded that one cannot serve both God and money. Oh my God, how, oh my, the irony, the fucking irony. Oh my. She said that. She said that, you're right, honey, you can't. God knows you don't serve God. You do serve money. Wow, as you serve up your people, a brazen dig at the Dalliwire co founder that was drenched in an age old anti Semitic rope at the time. Shabiro hit back, Candice, if you feel that taking money from the Daily Wire somehow comes between you and God, by all means quit. She then attacks Shapiro in an interview with Tucker Carlson, Oh Good God, who was fired last year for Fox News, accusing him of ad hominem attacks. In recent days, she has continued to generate more controversy, liking a post on x in which a user accused a rabbi of being drunk on Christian blood.
Speaker 2: Yeah what.
Speaker 1: Her behavior earned her the praise of those pushing hatred of the Jewish community, which the Anti Defamation League noted Thursday, when it blasted her for pushing an anti Semitic agenda and fueling the fire of hate. She responded by accusing the ADL of having turned their smear merchant guns on her. Their attacks will have the opposite effect.
Speaker 2: M h awaken world. Wow, it's a little too close to WHOA what you go and do?
Speaker 1: Girl? I'm thinking it is. She still maintains a large platform. Yeah, she's famous in right wing circles, both millions of followers across her various social media accounts. She was suspended from YouTube in September for anti LGBTQ commentary repeatedly Yeah, after violating the platform's rules on hate speech. Long a supporter of Trump, amplifying his culture warrior rhetoric to her younger online audience.
Speaker 2: She still has a proble a platform, but she ain't got no job.
Speaker 1: She called Trump not just the leader of the free world, but the savior of it as well. In twenty eighteen, she was photographed with a mcgannady UFC event in Las Vegas. Last month, It's fight night, she wrote in a photocoption. Fighters only what I love and they promote anti quer themes and tropes on this bullshit Matt Walsh. Yeah, is employed there demonizes of course, gantrans people in his program. Yeah, so it's it's it's a complete trash organization. But they just took out you're too trashy for us because you came after the people who pay your uh huh.
Speaker 2: You sought the wrong dick.
Speaker 1: Apparently apparently she likes I uncircumcised or something. I don't know. Yeah, but the whole thing, like the whole thing, it's like, okay, good, eat your own. She is such anable, good, good, good good. She just deplorable. So, but so is Ben Shapiro, and so is my and so is that whole organization.
Speaker 2: She better pray another one of her low white boys gives her a job, because otherwise she don't have a friend in the fucking world.
Speaker 1: Because you know, I know where the god money thing comes from. But here's the thing. You know, if you make your money lying about other human beings, fuck off, right, And they all do. Every one of those people makes money by lying about marginalized people. So all of you, all of you really did deserve each other. But they disinvited her to the picnic.
Speaker 2: The only reason why she had a job was because she had pushed herself forward as one of the quote good ones, and now she don't even have that. Black people don'e wrote her off. Of course, at least a decade ago. There's like two you know, maybe she like the three or five conservative black people might care about her, but who gives a fuck about them?
Speaker 1: Well, and maybe the family own her payroll maybe, but yeah who bye, but bye yea. I mean, it's funny. It's because, yeah, oh my, you went too far for Ben Shapiro.
Speaker 2: I will say to coonface oslat the same thing I say to my kids students when they repeatedly do something that I tell them not to do, and then the thing that I say is going to happen happens. I'm glad that happened to you, and I hope it hurts.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that what got her in trouble is kind of it's kind of liberals beating that drune, you know, yeah, some not all, but some beating the whole genocide all that. It's again a way more complicated and longer running than I am ever going to comment.
Speaker 2: On exactly, but of course she did.
Speaker 1: But it's just interesting which side she fell on. She didn't look up and go, wait a minute, Ben Shapiera's are you I have no principles or scruples? Is this really what I want to say? Because I don't care what I say about people, it doesn't have to be true. I usually go for the most controversial bullshit I can spew. So what the hell? This is weird?
Speaker 2: But good for bye bye?
Speaker 1: Yep see, Yeah, I think it's funny. I think it's funny. This episode is brought to you by Decanta, jug Wine and trans Day of Visibility, which, by the way, we are happy and grown up enough to share with Easter without a hissy fuss.
Speaker 2: So, as I mentioned earlier, you know, Beyonce dropped the Cowboy Carter album.
Speaker 1: Heads are exploding.
Speaker 2: Yes, And someone brought this up earlier today and I can't hope but agree it's Beyonce's fan base needs to calm down. It's not even the fan base, it's everyone's reaction to when a Beyonce album comes out, the best thing that's ever happened and the world has shifted on its axis. Those are the fans, right, or it's the worst thing that's ever happened and we're all going to hell because of Beyonce. You know, whatever happened just liking shit? But anyway, so everyone.
Speaker 1: That's the title of this whatever happened to?
Speaker 2: Right, So everyone is trying to analyze the symbolism of the album cover because it's you know, it's beyond now we care about the symbolism of the American flag.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Suddenly it's Beyonce on our white horse and she's wearing red, white and blue jumpsuit. How dare wearing a cowboy hat and a sash that says cowboy carter And she's carrying the America, a big American flag.
Speaker 1: No way.
Speaker 2: And so people are like, well, the way the photo was cropped, you don't see the blue and the white stars. You just see the red and white stripes. What does that mean? And the back leg of the horse is bent this way? So does that mean that. I'm like, if y'all don't calm the fuck.
Speaker 1: I assume it means she's taking us back to Civil War.
Speaker 2: I'm like, it's a country album in country is an American art form, and black people were integral in the formation of a genre. There I summed it up for you'll.
Speaker 1: How about that? And she has a right to the American flag exactly. We fly the American flag just above the Progress Pride flag. You're at our house, yep, because we have a right to both, you motherfuckers. If it was I don't know Travis Tritt or somebody ain't, nobody would be saying shit go market like they did with I don't know Lee Greenwood. But let a black woman ride a horse and carry an American flag, right and just the cock on that horse alone is enough to send them into a.
Speaker 2: Friend one thing that was cracking me up.
Speaker 1: So I don't even know if it's a male horse. I'm just saying there must be symbolism.
Speaker 2: One of the tracks on the album is a reworking of Dolly Parton's Joline You Said, And one thing I love about it is, you know, in the original, the Dolly Parton version, she's begging Joelina to take her man.
Speaker 1: She is.
Speaker 2: That's how the song is written, right, and Beyonce is like, you know, why don't you choose a safer activity than trying to take my man?
Speaker 1: Its rewritten for modern times, which Dolly is clearly fine with.
Speaker 2: I saw a clip that resurfaced. I'm not even sure how long ago the clip was from, but it was Dolly saying that she hoped that one day Beyonce would decide to cover Joelne because she would love to hear it.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, well, look at you getting your wish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Dolly evolves.
Speaker 2: Not to mention the fact that, you know, if that happens, which it did, she's going to get how much money and royalties for songwriting.
Speaker 1: Well, but if we're gonna, if we're gonna keep condemning wokeism, we have to start condemning Dolly Parton exactly.
Speaker 2: And no one's gonna do that.
Speaker 1: Well, but they might. I don't know how long are we gonna embrace crazy before we return to sanity. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: But the thing that cracks me up the most about that particular clip is people are like, how come she didn't say that about Taylor Swift? Why'd you have to go pick Fyance? Why not Taylor Swift.
Speaker 1: It's like she could do both if she wants to, exactly, but it's like Taylor probably didn't ask her yet.
Speaker 2: It all happened when Beyonce did the halftime show with the Super Bowl and she did formation and had everybody dressed like black panthers. And that's when all these babity Bobby Pumpkins spice Latte white bitches realized that Beyonce a actually is black and be knows she is and she enjoys that fact, and it broke white people. People have been hating on Beyonce hardcore since then.
Speaker 1: White people have been broken for quite some time now. Yeah, they are not okay with the idea that they don't run the world or they won't run the world forever. I'll even say that because they have. And that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Even if white people aren't running the world, whiteness is.
Speaker 1: So it's the same thing, well not necessarily people who embrace white whiteness.
Speaker 2: How about that and non white people that embrace white.
Speaker 1: And non white people who embrace it as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but once anti whiteness takes over.
Speaker 1: Well it's not an either or, it's a and and right.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean white people can embrace anti whiteness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like saying women can't be in charge because there could be hormonal imbalances. And it's like, I'm sorry, every war ever was started by men, that part, remember, yep, So how would we be like really?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Really, I mean that was the biggest joke about trying to paint Hillary Clinton as a warmonger. What right, But like y'all ain't.
Speaker 2: Y'all, thank you, thank you, so all that to say.
Speaker 1: Like, it wouldn't a waite Man who said weapons and mass destruction where there weren't any exactly, and they got Colin Powell to agree. That's another conversation.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying so all that to say, you know, I love the Beyonce album. I love Cowboy Carti. It's a really good album. But you know, it's okay to just like something without having to make it your personality.
Speaker 1: That'd be great, you know, that'd be great.
Speaker 2: It's okay to not like something without making it your personality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, just call them the fuck down. Wow. That should be on a.
Speaker 2: T shirt Calm the fuck down.
Speaker 1: It probably is, but it really should be.
Speaker 4: You Know.
Speaker 1: What I loved was that the recent T shirt I saw that said dictum.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When you act like a dick and then act like a victim, you're a dictum dictum. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Decanta, jug Wine and everything everywhere all at once. This tickled me. We talked before on the show about the gay furry hackers who call themselves sieged sec. I just love saying gay furry hackers. That just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. They hacked into the far right media outlet known as Real America's Voice and publicly released the cell phone number of a transphobia pastor, and they also included the names and phone numbers of over twelve hundred years of the outlet's phone app, as well as information about the network's top shows, including ones hosted by anti LGBTQ plus, Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk and other far right figures. Apparently Real America's Voice I never heard of it had broadcasted numerous segments accusing the LGBTQ plus community of targeting and grooming children. You know that, old chestnut, and these people are coming for them, and I love that. It's like, you know what, look, your actions have repercussions, and they don't always look like what you think they will. And queer people are nothing if not innovative and smart and creative. And I would stop fucking with us if I was you. You know, That's all I got to say about that. Don't don't piss off the We have a sign hanging up in our house that says, don't piss off the fairies. It's a model to live, you know what I'm saying. So to my gay furry hacker peeps out there, you're doing the Lord's work.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Screwtops, Savignon Blanc and the roller Coaster that his Mother's Day. Wrote Roger Crone, president and CEO of Scouting America come twenty twenty five, who described the organization as a welcoming, safe environment where youth can become the best version of themselves. This will be a simple but very important evolution as we seek to ensure that everyone feels welcome in Scouting. They have implemented significant changes to their membership requirements over the past decade. You know, from nineteen seventy eight, which is when I was a Scout, LGBTQ plus youth and adults alike were formally banned from the organization, a practice which only ended in twenty fourteen for youth and twenty fifteen for adult members. It's not the openly gay ones we ever had to worry about, exactly. I digress Separately. The BS also managed to conceal serial sexual abuse allegations against numerous adult leaders for nearly a century before becoming the target of multiple lawsuits in the past twenty years. BSA leadership filed for bankruptcy in twenty twenty, and in twenty twenty two a federal bankruptcy court allowed the organization to establish a two plus billion dollars settlement fund to compensate victims and allow the organization to continue operations. The rebrand distances in the organization from their checkered history while emphasizing their new more gender expansive to recruitment. Nobody wants to come here, so let's open it up. Which is gonna happen with the churches as we watch? In this week's press release, leaders asserted that over six thousand girls have now earned their Eagle Scout badges, the organization's highest official rank. Although their official stance now welcomes transgender youth, it may take more time for individual troops to catch up, of course. In twenty twenty one, a trans fourteen year old said she was kicked out of the troop after she came out because there was no all girls troop for her to join. Instead, quote it was very upsetting. I remember seeing my mom crying. That was like family to us, because when you were with the troop for so long, you are family. Yeah, until you're not much like the church. Huh. So you want to summarize why that's in good news?
Speaker 2: I mean, isn't it?
Speaker 1: I inclusivity, here's hoping.
Speaker 2: I mean because the gender nature of it is what I didn't like about it because I didn't have a choice in joining Cub Scouts. I was put into it. It was a method to butcher me up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 2: Huh so I could play with other boys instead of playing with the girls.
Speaker 1: Same and I wanted to be a Brownie. I did. My girlfriends were Brownies at the time. They were like showing me Cub Scouts, and that's what I wanted to be. Even though I hated the uniform, I still that's.
Speaker 2: What I didn't want to be a brown I didn't want to fucking be a Cub Scout. I want to be left the fuck alone.
Speaker 1: But that wasn't exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I guess I guess like whatever I was doing, I wasn't doing it right.
Speaker 1: You know, because my very Catholic friend who was quoting on it like you don't hold her. Yeah, but yeah, because this sounds like a very Catholic thing to do. Although they haven't capitulated yet, but they will.
Speaker 2: Every cub Scout troop that I've ever seen operates out of a church, including.
Speaker 1: Well they in the space of but usually the basement or whatever. So do AA meetings. That doesn't mean a thing, that's true. I mean, you know where they happen. Yeah, it's more the molestation. It's a problem, the diddling of it, all right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No cub Scout master ever diddled me. There were other cub Scouts. I wanted to do it, but that's a different thing.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 1: That is entirely different. I don't I don't know. I don't I would. I didn't do it long enough to know, you know what I mean. And we had a we had like a a married couple where she was like the dead mother of the you know, younger kids, and then he was the scout leader for the older kids. And they were they were nice, and I don't think anyone got diddled, and you know, while they were in charge. I mean my immediately I was just I was just angry. I was there.
Speaker 2: We had den mothers.
Speaker 1: We didn't have scouts, right they that comes later, That comes a little bit later, because I know I was never a boy scout. I was a wee below as I got, which is ironic. Yeah, with the plaid scarf like I know we do. Yeah, I got that far. And that was when we started doing camping trips and stuff.
Speaker 2: We did one camping trip and it was enough for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's where that starts and we blows, we blows whatever whatever, And you know that was the dad of one of the kids, was that I just hated it all. Yeah, I was surly about it.
Speaker 2: I was you know, there was nothing about it that I liked. Hanging with other boys, wearing clothes I didn't want to wear, being outside doing things.
Speaker 1: Fuck that exactly. It was exactly exactly. None of this was fun, not a bit of it. But at least now I guess this apparently they're expanding.
Speaker 2: When I was hanging with the girls playing double Dutch, I was happy, but apparently I wasn't allowed to be fucking happy, right right, And then you know, I was like, well, you have you get these patches if you do these things, and I'm like, well, I like things. I like accolade. So I did the things, and of course it took them forever to get their shit together to give me my patches. So then I was mad.
Speaker 1: See the patches didn't really coordinate with one another, so I wasn't happy about that either.
Speaker 2: Well, you know I have that nerd collector things.
Speaker 1: Well, that's fair, that's fair. You have different esthetics.
Speaker 2: You get your Bobcat badge, then you get your wolf badge, then you get your bear badge, then you get your we blow badge, and it makes the little diamond shape when all the patches are there, and I wanted to have my complete diamond. Dammit.
Speaker 1: I endure the fact that there's a bear badge.
Speaker 2: I know. And yeah, because Coup Scouts has this strange correlation with Jungle.
Speaker 1: Book hmmm, I had never thought of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole thing is odd.
Speaker 1: Actually it's male bonding, I guess, which you know in my experience.
Speaker 2: Well, and then we blow.
Speaker 1: It's a coupling than bonder.
Speaker 2: It's supposed to be short for will be Loyal Scouts. Well that doesn't even make sense.
Speaker 1: It's no really that I thought it was like a Native American word, we blow meant something.
Speaker 2: I thought that might have been like the thing that they told us that we will remember.
Speaker 1: I think they wanted to say we blow. That's what I think they wanted. So I didn't get that either.
Speaker 2: See, all their promises went unfulfilled.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Decanta jug Wine. The pain in the as new dogs and the sun is shining. The birds are singing, the queers are queering. God news, God News.
Speaker 2: I've been brushing up on my Pride flags and learning what the different color combinations.
Speaker 1: Because I bought a case of varied flags. Yes, I didn't even know what all.
Speaker 2: Of them were, and people, what's that one mean? And I'm able to be like, that's the non binary flag, that's the pen sexual flag. That is the asexual flag, to which you said, I was.
Speaker 1: A little surprised there was an asexual flag. I thought they didn't want the attention. But that's probably wrong of me to say, I'm just got my only excentense.
Speaker 2: What are you looking at? And why?
Speaker 1: I am really tired? And I didn't know that there was a flag. I thought there was. I mean, there is a letter, so why not a flag?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why not? I don't I begrudge no one in their flag exactly. I mean none, yeah, but it was just I found cases of flags because they were really fun to give out for the parade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was always fun to see who took what flag.
Speaker 1: Right now, some people just take the one you hand them, right.
Speaker 2: The bisexual flags were very popular, Like people were like, do you have a bisexual flag, to which I was like, yes.
Speaker 1: I did. I am a by fan, I am that. And we ran out of trans flax, we did. Yeah, those were those went first, I know, we ran out of those. Yeah. So we last year we marched in the same parade, and it was even it was October, not even June because of the Canadian wildfire air quality. So and in October maybe we had three or four folks walking with us, right, and we had twenty five this time.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: It was like wow, wow, in less than a year, that's how things have developed. So it was really great. We had a good we had a great big group with us, and I had a good time. I did. I'm just I'm really exhausted. I hate when I only have one day off, I know, because I'm old and I like my three day weekend. I know, that's right. And one of the days always is, you know, filled with aarons and things, so but this is like all of it, right, So I feel like I'm fast forwardning through the day. I've been productive, right and yeah, and finally we were recording.
Speaker 2: Yes, hallelujah because we haven't forgotten y'all. I don't know our notes date back to god knows. Yeah, they're varied, but yeah, marching in the parade, it reminded me that a it was the first time in a very long time that I've marched in a Pride parade, and it reminded me of the first time. Well, no, the first time I marched in a Pride parade was when we a bunch of folks from the Attic we went up to New York Pride and we crashed the parade and marched with the Harvey Milk School.
Speaker 1: I love that story.
Speaker 2: Yes, And then I'm voguing down the street and looked to my right and there's Wilson Cruise and I was like, oh, I got But the first time I officially marched in a parade was for Temple Lambdam and that was the day. I was telling the story to a couple of the kids the other day. How that was the day I kind of accidentally came out to a good chunk of my familys because we're marching and I'm holding the banner for Temple Lambdallions. And what was the clip that the news chose to use for the story of Philadelphia Pride that day? But me holding the banner marching down the street?
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: I saw you on TV today. You were in the parade and I was like, yeah, yeah, I was, yeah, fuck it, yes I was. I thought I was being slick. Apparently I was the opposite of that. Right.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by It Can't jug Wine. On the last day of Pride, I ran very queer errands today. So there was a presidential debate, I hear.
Speaker 2: I didn't watch it.
Speaker 1: No, we did not watch it. And first of all, there is nothing that that convicted felon who damn near destroyed democracy can say that will sway my opinion. And frankly, there is nothing. I don't care if to. You know, everybody's talking about, well, maybe Joe didn't feel good, maybe he was tired, Maybe I don't give a fuck. I want you to think about being a decent human being who has dedicated your entire life to public service and having to even share a stage with that piece of garbage who was a joke well before they allegedly won an election. And I want you to take that in mind when you consider the amount of bile Joe was trying to choke on to even have to share a stage with I repeat that convicted felon. There's not a reason for me to watch these debates. I'm not entertained by it. I care about bodily autonomy. I care about, you know, the future of this country, and we won't have one. I don't want to contemplate what would happen under another Trump presidency, because he's damn near.
Speaker 2: You barely made it through the last one.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly we wouldn't make it. Now you have empowered a dictator. So you know, the only thing I can say to every one of my white, privileged cis het friends, well former friends who voted for like Jill Stein out of some principle called missogyny that swung Pennsylvania to Trump and gave us Trump, I hope you've learned one goddamn thing from it.
Speaker 2: But they're still trying that ship. Now. I'm talking about how don't.
Speaker 1: I don't. Yeah, I know what they're talking about. I can't. I won't let it on my spear. It's all horseshit. You know what, Molly Ivans wrote a column and I wish I could remember the person she was talking about, but here was the premise of the column, and you can look it up. We don't vote for that one person at the top. We vote for the literal thousands of people they hire, the thousands of people who actually run our government. I will hand that once again, thank you to the Democrats, because I want to have a country when we're done, and I want experts in charge of the fields that they are in charge of. I want x unlike the Supreme Court right now because Trump, but I want, you know, people who know something about water quality to be in charge of the EPA, you know, and air quality. And I want people dedicated to that as a science and a field of study, who have spent their lifetime understanding it, not hacks, not a bunch of religious backwater hacks. I'm sorry. And if that makes me sound elitist, I'm not. Dear God. I have a trans riddled education and resume, but I know enough to know I really want smart people in charge. If that makes you sound, I don't give a why, I know, but I don't give a fog about you know, that's who I'm voting. That's what I'm voting for. And frankly, I like Kamala and she'll be fine if something happens to Joe. But Joe Biden has led a very decent, principled life perfect No part of.
Speaker 2: You know who among us is right?
Speaker 1: You know, is he my ideal, ideal candidate in twenty twenty four? He is not. But but there it's the choice between oh my god, what It's the choice between stubbing your toe and being caught up by a chainsaw, choice between you know, wondering what's gonna happen and ceasing to exist. I mean, like, for me, it's that black.
Speaker 2: I have lost all patients for people like I'm like, I don't give a fuck about your little I don't want to vote for him. I want to vote third party. Fuck you and your third part.
Speaker 1: What abautism is such a privilege exactly, And I'm going to vote my principles such a privilege. You know what My principle is survival. Right, there's already one state in the Union where I do not feel safe going, even though I have loved ones there, and that is Florida, and I don't want more of it exactly, I don't want any more of this nonsense. I want it beaten back. I do so that we can all coexist in the America I was born into and the America I was promised.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, if, like you know, I don't want to hear your little whiny bullshit every four years, acting like you give a shit about who does what win and where When you could have had this energy like so long ago and maybe then your little third party would have a chance. But right now is not the time quitcha bitchin and act like you have some goddamn sense And.
Speaker 1: Put another way, I mean, I have respect for those who are understand and are working to build third parties from the grassroots.
Speaker 2: Yes, and those are the ones that you should put your energy into. But because that could be then we could have a conversation later on.
Speaker 1: Every one of the ones I know personally are voting for Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: Right right, It's called grassroots for a reason. You gotta water that shit and nurture it so that when it grows into something that is viable, then we can have that conversation. Yeah, once every four years is not the time.
Speaker 1: Let's let the Republican Party implode. Let's let three other parties, six other parties come into play. Fine, but right now is not the time, you know, And and they say, well, when is the time? Well, when we're talking about democracy versus democracy? I mean, when I was a child, a version, you know it was, it was a slightly different way to view it all with the same endgame in mind. And you know, forgive me for always using this example, but fucking Richard Nixon signed the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act because when I was a child in the early seventies and the Republicans and Democrats looked up at the sky and looked out at the oceans, they said, that is pollution and we have to do something about it. The Republican Party of today is saying, you're going to believe us? Are your lying eyes? Are you going to be believe us? Are science?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So we can keep I don't know, feeding billionaires who feed us, rather than understand the fact that if we don't have a planet, we don't have a we don't have a discussion.
Speaker 2: Right, people need to stop acting like this election is the same as when shit was normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this shit is not normal. Donald Trump even being spoken of as a serious political candidate is not normal. Nope, not normal.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 1: And you know, I grew up among blue collar Republicans. I did. This town, this place where I grew up was and it was that sense of leave us alone. It was that, I guess, sort of libertarian thing, except they did believe that, you know, the roads should be paved because but it was never this the religious fringe was just that they were a fringe that had to be beaten back to and kept at bay because they were never going to be the best of us. You know, anybody who wants prayer in public school is not representing the best of us, the representing their own nonsense.
Speaker 2: And now they don't even believe in the teachings of Jesus anymore. That Jesus is nothing but liberal talking points week.
Speaker 1: That is something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is what they're saying now.
Speaker 1: That Jesus really.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we asked about the teachings of Jesus and what about judge not lest will you be judged? And love your love. Everyone is yourself and you know the beatitudes and all that. Oh, that's just liberal talking points. That wouldn't fly today. That's weak.
Speaker 1: So I want to know what do they call themselves then? Because Christian? Thank you, literally based on the idea of say it Christ, that would that was Jesus of Nazareus. That was that whole story and the entire all of Christianity is based on the belief that this person walked around and these were the principles that he espouls. How do you how do you separate from them and still call yourself a Christian? You're not right now, that's somebody. You're a fascist.
Speaker 2: Now they're preacher from the Book of Nah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're a fascist. You're you're following a dictator. You've abandoned all principle. I mean, that's true. Apparently that's true because, and that's what I'm saying above all else, folks were fair minded. They might not have agreed with each other, but they came to a consensus and there was a civility to it. Now, was it a racist civility? Maybe?
Speaker 2: Well maybe I'm not.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not here to argue that point, but I am saying it was a different kind of consensus. And throughout the sixties we did have the civil rights movement. You know, it wasn't the bill and it wasn't over. But Nixon was the backlash from the sixties. Right, let's put a Republican in here for balance, I guess, you know. And it wasn't until Reagan that we embraced the moral alleged moral majority and said, hey, we need those religious nuts to win. And so for most of my life, since you know, nineteen eighty, it's it's been this growing Yeah, and now you know, the public discourse is broken.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I won't be watching these debates because there's nothing that will change my mind. I don't care if Joe's on a ventilator. I really don't, because again, I'm voting for all the people that he will hire, that hit the party will hire, that Kamala will insist on, Like I'm voting for that, not the garbage, not the garbage. When we had a president who couldn't even fill cabinet seats, who had basically no state department.
Speaker 2: Because he fired everybody that would disagree with him.
Speaker 1: Because they either fired him or there was no one decent and balanced and principled left to hire nobody, Nobody like that wanted to work for that jackass. None of them, the ones that worked for him were crap. They were crap that didn't get much of a chance before for the most part. And suddenly you know, Okay, I can be something. And he doesn't even believe in that shit. He's not a conservative, he never was. He's an opportunist. He's just an opportunist. These are not deeply held beliefs. These are talking points meant to like, you know, play kate y'all that are play capable.
Speaker 2: How can he have fundamental beliefs when he never actually finishes a sentence you've heard him speak.
Speaker 1: Well, it's gotten worse and worse and worse and worse. And I will not I couldn't watch it before, I won't watch it now exactly. You know, that's that's the place I get to. I'm not going to sit in quarterback this shit. It's bullshit. He belonged in jail. He does not belong in the public discourse at all. He does not belong on our ballot. And it's it's a disgrace. And you know, I am holding my breath and believing in, you know, the smaller elections that we have watched since they fucked over, you know, ri v Wade. I'm watching those smaller elections that they keep losing. I'm watching those constitutional amendments that do not pass, and I'm saying, I hope to God we've learned something so that we save democracy, because I'm not sure what happens if that Jack Guess gets in again. I'm just I can't. I cannot think that far into I can't. It's so absurd. I don't want to talk about it. I don't want to talk about it because.
Speaker 2: I don't know where I'll live, someplace that speaks French.
Speaker 1: Well, I you know, I don't know where, because you know, this anti trans sentimate has gained traction in other places too, So places where I was safe five years ago, I'm not now, and I'm paying attention.
Speaker 2: Well, if you'll notice this is someplace that speaks French but did not say France anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it. I know that a lot of people are terrified. And you know, my best advice right now is vote blue. Yeah, make sure you're registered, Register as many people as you can, and you know, let's keep sorting this out. But we can't with an incompetent, greedy, lying, hypocritical piece of excrement in the White House. We can't. We can't do that. Yeah, And that's really the choice could not be more stark. You don't want to be a Democrat, fine, keep working on third party ship. But if you are an LG beat, if you're an wearing liziabet Tekwa like, think about right, think about your third party principles, and think about whether you like living right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I'm not trying to say I know, I was very passionate a minute ago. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the third parties. In fact, there we need, we need that, but now is not the time to be standing ten toes in that right.
Speaker 1: And we said that when it was you know, when Hillary it was you know, when she was on the ballot and people were the misogyny bubbled up again. And I remember saying, you know, when it was Barack and Hillary in the primary. So we're about to find out what America is less afraid of, Yeah, black man or a white woman. Turns out they were more afraid of the more highly qualified white woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And still in twenty sixteen. Yeah, so you can't tell me that shit doesn't run deep among liberals. That runs deep. Well there, you know you want to thank who act actually brought us Trump? Thank a liberal Thanka Butter emails liberal. So maybe don't fuck up like that again, and we'll all be better off for it, or at least not worse shoe. Well, I know, but we are actually better off. We've sprung from twenty sixteen to a much stronger economy, to like a much better direction. Let's keep going in it. Not in red states, clearly, but you know they're they're not the ones I'm talking to. I am talking to Pennsylvania, though, I am you. I spent thirty five years there and all of those people who told me I'd be okay are gone. Yeahs, thanks for having my back, fellas, appreciate it. This episode is brought to you by Decanta jug Wine and the Fight for Democracy. As we've briefly knew her, Mosca is back in the news. Chaw. So, first of all, can I just say I'm in love with his trans daughter? Yep, I love her, But you continue, we'll get to that.
Speaker 2: So, because California is too supportive of trans youth ray, he's moving his space X and Twitter. I mean X to Texas bye, exactly, like, don't threaten me with a good time. This is not an airport.
Speaker 1: No, those two things meant nothing together. This's not an airport. You don't have to announce your departure exactly, don't threaten me with a good time. To completely separate.
Speaker 2: Sentences, Yes, but I meant them both.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it sounded like you were tapping your foot at the airport. I don't know. I'm like, what, sorry, period space, don't threaten me with a good time. This is not an airport. In my head, what do I not know about your time spent with a driver's license? Do we have to talk about something?
Speaker 2: No, it was two zebra statements.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't, which is why I stopped.
Speaker 2: Who was intended as two zebra's statements?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Oh fuck.
Speaker 1: Oh show. Musk made comments about his transdorter and her trans identity right on social media and in an interview that was posted online. Musk said she was not a girl and was figuratively dead, and he alleged that he had been tricked into authorizing trans related medical treatment for her when she was sixteen. She he has, of course denied that he was tricked. She said, initially he did hesitate, but he knew what he was doing when he agreed to her treatments, which required consent from parents, despite what folks were saying about that kind of treatment. But she said, you know, ultimately he did know what he was doing. And all this other narrative is you come after the fact. According to her, one of Musk's most derided posts, a reply to the anti trans organization Gays against Groomers, attributing her gender dysphoria to being born gay and slightly autistic, was crammed full of false statements about her childhood. Musk's claims that she exhibited stereotypically gay traits at age four, like a love for musicals and fabulous jackets, Wilson wrote, or entirely fake, Like literally none of this ever happened. She wrote, at four years old, she did not know the word fabulous and had no idea what a musical was. She counted because she was fucking four, right. My best gass is that he went to the Miloanapolis School of Gay Stereotypes, just picked some at random and said, eh, good enough. She added, referencing the disgrace for a r propagandist and one time campaign manager for Kanya West Musk's pity party, she said felt like a last ditch attempt to garner sympathy points when he is so obviously in the wrong, even in his own fucking story. I love this kid, she gives no fox. She called him an absentee father who relentlessly harassed her for displaying femininity on the occasions he was actually present. Obviously you can't say that, So I've been reduced to a happy little stereotype faggoting along to use at his discretion. That's what I have to assume. That meant there's asterisks and dashes. I think that says a lot about how he views queer people and children in general. She finished her thread with a dismissive call for Musk and his pick me accolytes to go touch some fucking grass.
Speaker 2: Get them. I know.
Speaker 1: She changed her name in twenty twenty two to rebuke her estranged father. Quote. I no longer live with or wish to be related to my biological father in any way, shape or form, she wrote at the time. On Thursday, she further clarified her version of events in another Threads post, stating that I disowned him, not the other way around. Truth. She referred to Musk in that post by the name Adrian Dittman, which some believe is actually one of Musk's own sock puppet accounts on Twitter. Wow, you know I love this kid, right, I love this kid.
Speaker 2: Well, you know how he said that she was killed by the woke mind virus. Yeah, so she responded with a tweet.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is the delicious part.
Speaker 2: I look pretty good for a dead bitch, which is a reference to Morgan Michaels from Drag Race.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there was a rumor that Morgan Michaels was dead and that was pervasive, and this was on Twitter, and when she was on All Stars three, I guess that was her her entrance line. I looked pretty good for a dead bitch. Just further leaning into the fagotry, the alleged faggotry, right right, I love this kid.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean the actual tweet that I read to you.
Speaker 2: Yes, First of all, I want to point out we were saying the words tweet. But this is all on her. Her portion of this debate is all on Threads. Use the anti Twitter or x so, she says, as for if I'm not a woman, sure, jan whatever, whatever, whatever you said, It was my favorite part, whatever you say. I'm legally recognized as a woman in the state of California, and I don't concern myself with the opinions of those who are below me. Obviously, Elon can't say the same, because, in a ketamine fueled haze, he's desperate for attention and validation from an army of degenerate, red pilled end cells and pick me's who are quick to give it to him. Go touch some fucking grass.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, sparkle emoji. Yes, I love this kid. I love this kid. Yeah, I just hit like well, good good, because you should. This episode is brought to you by the iced tea We're sipping, if not spilling, and discovering brand new genetics experts every month, fucking day. So, San Diego has joined San Francisco and Santa Clara County in California declaring August to be Transgender History Month.
Speaker 2: Very cool.
Speaker 1: The proclamation honors the trans women who rioted at Compton's Cafeteria in August of nineteen sixty six. I was months old. I was I was months old. Quote this from I guess City council member Jennifer Campbell. With the rise in ana trans hate and bigotry, I want our trans community to know that I see you, I respect you, and I love you, as does this entire council. More importantly, our city honors and celebrates all of the wonderful contributions you have made to San Diego. Happy transgender history months. Okay, that's fun, I love it. Yeah. Yeah. So it was trans women who rioted at Gene Compton's cafeteria in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco, which of course predated the Stonewall riots by three years. A great documentary out there called Screaming Queens.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, there's a documentary that we saw about it.
Speaker 1: From Susan Striker. Yeah, that was her work.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't mind seeing it again, Yes.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't neither. Compton's was habitually hostile to their transplientele, who were numerous in the red light district. Trans Patrons were subject to an extra service fee, and staff regularly called police to expel customers from the all hours diner. Police were frequently customers as well. Because trans women were easy targets for arrest for violations of the city's cross dressing prohibitions, buttons on the wrong side of a shirt could lead to a night behind bars. Wow tensions came to a head on a hot night in August after a Compton's worker called police claiming that some transgender customers had become raucous. A trans patron was harassed by a cop and threw a cup of coffee in his face. A riot broke out, with trans patron's overwhelming police and pushing them out of the cafeteria, smashing the diner's plate glass windows and shouting their defiance. A news stand outside the diner was burned to the ground and police vehicles were damaged. Dozens were arrested and cart it off to jail. The next day, protesters gathered again at Compton's, which denied them entry. They smashed the newly installed plate glass windows once again. Ha At the San Diego Council meeting, trans Family Support Services youth volunteer Blue London said remembering transistory as a connection to those heroic protesters quote by sharing the opportunity to learn about the stories of others who came before us, we make space to imagine futures of our own that we may not have seen if not for the preservation of our communities past. Yeah, as Republicans do their nonsense, Yeah, San diego right, And it.
Speaker 2: All comes down to you don't fuck with the girls, because I that's a lesson I learned just seeing, like I swear to god, I saw this one chick pull a ball peen hammer out of a clutch like fucking Mary Poppins. You don't fuck with the girl.
Speaker 1: Well, well, I mean when you have very little to lose in this world and you are marginalized to the point trans women were certainly back at that point in our history. Yeah, they led the charge. I mean this was really trans women who led the charge, and many were still alive and interviewed for that documentary. So I love it.
Speaker 2: And when you spend a good chunk of your waking time wishing a motherfucker would and then a motherfucker does.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, you know we're talking about women who couldn't get jobs, and yeah, you know, yes they were sex workers gathering, Yes they were because that was the only avenue that very few Yeah, anything else to make money to support themselves to eat. Yeah even Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's why we call it survival sex work.
Speaker 1: And you know, we had something similar to Dewey's in Philadelphia, Yeah, which became where the queer's little piece. That was Little Pietz. But yeah, right before it closed, which it closed recently as Little PiZZ in the last what five years. Yeah, but that was that was Dewey's and big queer population back in the day. It was still at Little PiZZ too, was gathered there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I knew Little Pets as a place that the gays went.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Midtown was just closer to where we usually ended the night, So that's why we all congregated at the Midtown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Midtown is where more of mid queens went because that's you know, it was right on after the bars closed, that's where that's.
Speaker 1: Where we went. Yeah, it was right on Eleventh Street. Yes, yep, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: After party at the Midtown, y'all.
Speaker 1: So many times, so many times we saw some stuff m breakfast at three am. There's nothing like that.
Speaker 2: It's true. I've only I had only been in that place in the daylight twice in my entire life.
Speaker 1: I know, I heard like that. I said it would be weird. I wouldn't know how to order like dinner at the Midtown like I guess people do.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was still breakfast time or lunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but.
Speaker 2: It was just the sun was out, which was but.
Speaker 1: The sun, Yeah, in that place, it's kind of like what, yeah, what.
Speaker 2: It did feel strange?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah it was. It was a three am kind of place. Breast and Juliani to Varis Juliani, Welcome to the Full Circle table so much.
Speaker 5: I'm so excited to be here with y'all again, thinking about theater in that larger sense of like storytelling in that ancient way, you know, for as long as we've been around, I think we've circled up and told stories and live in that way. And then of course education and that aspect of really pouring into education, which I think, you know, if we look at in the States, at least around us and probably in many countries, you know, it's it's but I know where I am, I'm like, there, could we need a lot more attention and funding and investing into education and the art and education for young people.
Speaker 6: It's such formative years.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I was just.
Speaker 1: Like, you're here, yeah, you remember going into schools and bringing art there. Do you remember that churls in the early nineties, Yeah, when there was money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, back when they were when it.
Speaker 7: Was a little, when there was a crumb.
Speaker 5: And I remember right as a kid in public schools like those were, even if it was like a group that came in for a week and I never saw them again. Change my life, like change my life for sure. So I was honored to be that for other young people when I was a teaching artist, you know, all over New York. And I hope to still do work like that in the future. But in the meantime, it's so special that the work I'm writing is getting to yeah, connect with young.
Speaker 8: People across the country, which is really exciting and older people.
Speaker 5: All it is always yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Now as an artist, you know, any recognition for the work we do is like, ohxues you know the thing I'm doing, I'm doing it for a reason and you believe.
Speaker 8: Me too, No, literally exactly.
Speaker 7: So I was asked me that, I was like, it really was that where I was like, okay, affirmation, Okay, I should keep going, like I shouldn't just given to the like little mean voices that are like it doesn't matter nothing, Like what's the point. You know, those voices are real, especially yeah, when there is less money for the arts and you know, intense economy and political landscape, it can really be easy to start feeling like is this really the thing that I need to be doing right now? Like, you know, is this the most important thing? Like is it even matters? Even having an impact?
Speaker 5: And my whole life has been a constant spiral return to like yes, calm down, friend, like it matters, Like it matters, this work matters. It matters to you, and it matters.
Speaker 8: To other people.
Speaker 5: So definitely felt that way too to get and i'mally excited because they're gonna yeah exactly.
Speaker 7: I'm like, Okay, maybe maybe most of something. Maybe I'm on my path and I need to stop doubting myself on every time.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by de Camp to Drug Wine and Peak Produce season. Here in the Garden State, I have my first real tomato sandwich of the season. I had a cigarette afterwards.
Speaker 2: I was so excited to start watching Breaking this year in the Olympic. Yes, it took me a while to stop crying. I know, we haven't even finished watching it. Thank goodness for Peacock because we started watching the women's qualifiers.
Speaker 1: And other than the unfortunate Australian, some really good stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's there was some amazing stuff.
Speaker 1: I got another opportunity to be disappointed by white people. Yeah because social media and yeah, yeah people, I actually like going making a joke of breaking in the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, casual racism. Oh I know, I've been here to what's next? Ti Ley Wings shut the fuck up? First of all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we know bee boys and bee girls who and they're at they're fucking athletes, the strongest. Fuck there's talent and discipline involved. Oh yeah. It is not just an art form, but it can be quite athletic and wow wow.
Speaker 2: And it was really interesting because like the it's not a point system, it's there's nine judges.
Speaker 1: I felt like pose a little bit.
Speaker 2: It was kind of like ten or chop, like do you either got votes or you didn't, and if you got more votes than you want and you know, I kind of like that.
Speaker 1: They didn't rank them, they just they had to choose between the two, right, So they kept doing battles. That's how far we are in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did round robins and out of two rounds, whoever got the most votes moved on.
Speaker 1: So except people were moving on anyway. I think it was like without being cut.
Speaker 2: The tops and the bottoms moved on or something. I'm not sure how that.
Speaker 1: Works as happens.
Speaker 2: I guess I've had it spoiled as to who won the gold. But you know, if you're like me and you haven't finished watch it. Yeah, I'm not going to spoil it here, but congratulations.
Speaker 1: And Breaking will not re emerge in twenty eight in La, which I think is bullshit. It is bullshit in this country where it started.
Speaker 2: I mean to argue it should have started here any anyway.
Speaker 1: But no, what I'm saying where Breaking started right in this country, right, the LA Olympics will not be featuring Breaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't like that.
Speaker 1: I don't like it either. I think it's bullshit.
Speaker 2: It is, but we saw some really cool people, like but folks from Japan were insane. The B girls from the US came to play, the one.
Speaker 1: Where didn't come to play.
Speaker 2: Exactly, the one girl, Nikki from Lithuania, she showed out. And then there was B girl Raygun from Australa who can have the moniker now the worst breaker in the world.
Speaker 1: I'm reminded of a story of.
Speaker 9: So I was twenty and I had a friend who was twenty, and we were both managers and a certain fast food franchise, and we would hang out and he loved strip clubs. And there was one very tiny hole in the wall strip club across from one very tiny restaurant that we both had occasion to work in here and there. And it was this one mid afternoon when we met up at said strip club and that strip.
Speaker 2: Of prime time that's when the a squad's out.
Speaker 1: No it's not, but he was having relations with the girl who was normally dancing at that time, and so we went to ostensibly, I guess say hi, and she was not. She had called out that day and said the bartender, who lovely woman, but keep in mind were twenty and she's somewhere in her late forties and a parent, the mother of more than one I forget how many kids. But anyway, rather than just say the stripper's not here, she got up on the stage.
Speaker 2: Had no dead air in this establishment.
Speaker 1: And she danced to Sledgehammer. Ooh, I will never forget the song. That played, and he gave her twenty dollars to please get down and put her clothes back on. That happened. That happened in my life. Yeah, I'm sorry. I forget why I was telling this story, but it feelstremaine. When I started the story, it felt to me, was.
Speaker 2: She better than the Australian breakdancer?
Speaker 1: No? No, but it felt again like somebody's mom stepped in at the last minute and said, I can do this, so there's not dead air. It very much felt like it was not okay back then, and it was not okay at the Olympics.
Speaker 2: It very much felt like it felt very popular video on the Internet of the little white woman in the blue track suit talking about this is hip hop. See how I turned my feet in that that's what makes it hip hop. Yeah, she was very much that, like.
Speaker 1: I have never seen I mean, and I have. You know, we know some white be people phoebe, but but but not that white.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. When she got down on the ground and did the curly you're running around in a circle on your side, like really.
Speaker 1: Bitch, really, my soul emptied itself.
Speaker 2: I and then she did a buddy hop.
Speaker 1: Or was that a kangaroo. I don't even I don't know. I don't know what that was. I just I the whole time I was watching her, I was thinking of the bartender who said the show must go on.
Speaker 2: Somebody good could have had that spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And since I'm already going to hell, I guess the upside was everything that no one wanted to look at kind of fell behind her arms. Anyway, when she laid down, but not good, it wasn't good. It was like it was just please don't do this, Please don't, please don't. Oh home, we're gonna do it, and.
Speaker 2: Please and it hurt.
Speaker 1: Please stop.
Speaker 2: When her last round was against Nikki from Ornico from Lithuania.
Speaker 1: I would have left at that boy. I would have just said, just watch her right, I'm done.
Speaker 2: I know I'm done, because it was very much like that moment in the Simpsons. Stop stop, he's already dead, like it.
Speaker 1: Was, oh child.
Speaker 2: So I'm glad that breaking is in the Olympics, and I'm sad that it won't be in the next one.
Speaker 1: I am too. I hope that LA will reconsider that position. Truly. I do guess breaking is at first an American art form, yes, and it is an art form, and it is athleticism, and I think it belongs there.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I think that the arguments against this are classist and racist and unfair. Person only. Yeah yeah, that said, Oh god, she really was dressed for golf, and not in a good way.
Speaker 2: And she straight up said, colors, I guess I knew that I couldn't compete against these younger people who were at the top of their game doing what they do. So I figured, when am I going to get the chance again to do something on the world stage where I can be creative and be more you know, free flowing and improvisational.
Speaker 1: Bitch.
Speaker 2: Now was not the time. Well this was good, This was you know, I.
Speaker 1: Mean as her as far as her taking her shot, Sure it was. But now you will forever be known as the whitest woman to ever break dance in anyone's mind, ever, the.
Speaker 2: Worst breaker in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, but she won shit. I mean, I guess against other moms. Maybe that's their parent teacher association, like, hey, let's take it to the floor and then like that's how they work out their differences. And she thought, you know, I'm the most talented among us, you know, and you know I don't want to dip in Australian how's wives go.
Speaker 2: I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Or the poopy as it were, because we've got we've got lots of Australian listener.
Speaker 2: We do, and we yes, and that being said, But I don't think I'm breaking the news to y'all when I say that when you think of funk, you don't necessarily think of Australia first. I'm just saying, when you think of funk, you don't necessarily think of suburban white women first. Also that.
Speaker 1: Advisors, Yeah, with high waisted slacks. Those were slacks. Those weren't even pants, Those are what we call slacks. She had slacks on bright green ones. It wasn't good. Yeah, it wasn't good. It wasn't good.
Speaker 2: But and when you were against someone who was actually legitimately talented, it the not good was more glaring.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't make up for the casual racism that was behind several of the remarks that I've read. Oh yeah, and I didn't feel like a perfect representation of the art form for sure, right, But that said, I think it belongs there.
Speaker 2: Right, And I do love the fact that breaking has become and has been international for a good long while. It has been inclusive. The essence of hip hop in general, regardless of what one might think, and breaking in particular, is very inclusive. And so that was good to see. But you know, inclusivity has its downsides, like be girl, Rey gun Shaw, stop it stop, I'm gonna fight you anyway.
Speaker 1: Anyway now it's in your.
Speaker 2: Head, I'm gonna fight you. But yeah, that want that motherfucking note.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Decanta jug Wine and an energized electorate. We are here for.
Speaker 2: So first of all, I just want to point out that the way you're you're sitting at your microphone is very demure and mindful.
Speaker 1: Demure and mind.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're very demure and mindful.
Speaker 1: What do you mean Charles talking about?
Speaker 2: So there is this viral moment that is happening by trans influencer Jules Lebron has gone viral on TikTok with this video of her in her car talking about, you know, the way I present myself when I go to work, I'm very demure, I'm very mindful. Like the way she puts her her makeup on. I have a braid in my fragrance and it just blew up and it's it's crazy to me, Like the only reason why I because I've been seeing people talk about demure and mindful and.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm like, why right?
Speaker 2: And then I was listening to Bob the Drag Queen and Monique Exchanges podcast, and Bob was like, see the way I'm sitting here, I'm very demure and mindful. Okay, what is this? So I looked it up and oh, like it's been on national news a moment, I know, but I brought it up here because I was wondering if you A had seen it and b if you had any feelings about it.
Speaker 1: I saw it.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: I question why it's viral. I'm just being honest because it feels like some of that good old respectability politics telling other trans people how to behave, like if you want to be you know, acceptable. I guess it's, you know, a popular trade among some of the dolls. I've never particularly enjoyed it, but I wonder if the viral part is, yeah, it's about time one of them told the other ones how to behave. And I work really hard not to try to even suggest I have a right to tell other trans people how to trans right. And that's why I feel like I have no evidence for this. It's why I feel like this is so popular, this has become viral, and that's what doesn't sit well with me. Does that make any sense? Yes, I did not think of that, but those are my thoughts. It's like, why would all these people suddenly be what, you know, the slight misuse of the word more the word both the words to mer and mindful, because it's not really mindfulness as we understand it. It's more being mindful of how others might perceive you right that you know, so be understated, be soft, be quiet, you know, no need to paint like a clown, I mean, and you want to say that ship to your girlfriends primly ahead. I just it's the problem with TikTok and social media, you know what I mean? And we do not that liberals don't do the same goddamn thing, Like if we catch a right winger actually having a moment of clarity, we put it all over the place. But that's that's just where it feels in my gut. When I saw it, when I watched it, when I went, oh, they do love it, just like who was it? Her name? Begins with an m black comedian Monique. Remember when Monique talked about how to be in the airport, oh, with the don't have your bonnet right right, and and folks jumped right, you know what I mean. But there were a lot of people who also were like, yeah, finally somebody's telling them, somebody snatching one of their own, right. That response is what I feel like this is.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: There was the counter response that said, mind your own damn business. But and that's kind of where I am with all this, Like, I'm not going to tell another trans person out of trance. I may have a conversation with you if you ask about why you may be received a certain way because you are challenging norms, but I'm not going to tell you not to.
Speaker 2: If you want to have a smoky eye at the bank at two o'clock on a Tuesday, then damn.
Speaker 1: It well, right. And not just that, I mean, if you're going to grow at your beard and that's how you feel you best express your transness, have at it right. I mean. You may suffer backlash, You may you may get stairs, you may get more hostility than others. I you know that that may be because it's still a fucked up world. But yeah, I mean we cringe all the time things we see, but we don't publicly talk about them. Right, I'm not going to make a tech talk trying to snatch anybody because when you unless I'm punching up, you know, like I'll snatch Dave Chappelle all day long, but not other trans women.
Speaker 2: Right, because when you do, it gives other people the idea that they have the right and the room to do so.
Speaker 1: Right, Because now I'm waiting for SIS people to walk around asking us why we can't be more demure, And once that starts, are we gonna be giddy about this whole thing? I don't feel like who we are. I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's that's and then next thing, you know, the trans woman smacked me, and then it's a whole.
Speaker 1: Thing, and then it's a whole thing. Yeah, that's just I don't I don't think she meant harm at all. No, I'm just telling you how it feels to me.
Speaker 2: But a lot of times no harm is meant.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm misreading I you know, I don't think I'm misreading why it's so popular because it's otherwise not all that entertaining.
Speaker 2: It's well, that was my thing. I was like, this is having a viral.
Speaker 1: Moment mm hmm. Yeah at a time at a time when there's trans hate and transaggression in the news all the time, and you know, these Republicans introducing bill after bill after bill. Well, it was I just feel like it's kind of saying, yes, see, if you better knew your police, you would make it easier for us to like you.
Speaker 2: It was one thing when this was going viral amongst the queers, like that made more sense to me.
Speaker 1: That would be fine if that's where it.
Speaker 2: Because that's all I was hearing about it. And then I came across a national news station that was having a moment with it, and that's when I was like, wait a minute.
Speaker 1: I was reading about it like a newspaper in Boise.
Speaker 2: It was like a daily news show or something that was showing the clip and talking about it as it like it was a story. That's when I was like, huh.
Speaker 1: I wonder why, right, I don't know why. I know why queers might do it, but there's a lot of transphobic queers out there. Yeah, but I'm racist.
Speaker 2: True, But you know, when I'm hearing like black and brown queers, like repeating a moment like from one of the dolls. I'm like, okay, I.
Speaker 1: Get that, we do that.
Speaker 2: That made sense to me. But once it became once the CIS had started catching a whiff of it, that's when immediately my hackles went up and I was like, huh, that's why I wanted to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think she's trying to be ironic or funny, or I don't believe it's satire. I believe she was sincere. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
Speaker 2: Well, she's also having a monk with the way she says because alays demure and mindful. Because she has another video I told you about this where she's picking up her credit card that she left at a bar. You told me, and she was like, you know, when I go into the gay bar to get my credit card, I am very demure and mindful. I do not stay and get drunk. I just take my card and I leave. And I'm like, how is that demure and mindful? Then it was like, Okay, I guess we're doing a thing where everything we do in our day to day we're being demure and mindful. I guess. I guess, like, look at how I shop for line. I'm very demure, and I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know either. I just I'm I'm really not sure what's so popular about. It doesn't feel right to me, just doesn't feel right.
Speaker 2: Okay, she might.
Speaker 1: As well just say there's straight people watching. And my larger point is there's straight people watching, So you know, maybe I'm no better.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know, you know I criticize no one in my community. Now, if you ask me my opinion on something, and you sincerely want my constructive assistance on your look today, I will give it to you. I will if you ask me. If you ain't asked me, you look fabulous?
Speaker 2: What a nice hat?
Speaker 1: There is always something I can appreciate, truly, whatever, whatever, because we don't need to be tearing one another down, and we don't need to be telling one another how to be, because we get enough of that from everywhere else, especially everywhere we turn, we're being told how we could do it a little bit differently to make ourselves more palatable. And you know, sorry, but that does happen out there, and it's like, what right? What? Yeah? So I don't know. I don't know. Maybe I'm maybe I'm maybe it's just not that deep and people found it amusing. I don't know. This episode is brought to you by mint Iced Tea and Open Window Weather.
Speaker 2: Finally, this is a full circle moment because this motherfucker is the reason why this segment started. Yes, so thank you, sir.
Speaker 11: Here we go.
Speaker 2: George Santo's faces prison after pleading guilty to fraud.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but yeah, years she was facing a federal trial, yes, which would have likely resulted in far more jail time. But Santos thirty six, appeared in court in Central Airflip, New York on Monday and admitted wire fraud and aggravated identity theft for stealing the ideas of campaign staff and misusing campaign funds. And that is not a quarter of it.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: The judge estimated a sentence ranging of six to eight years for the charges he admitted. His guilty. Police cements the downfall of the novice New York politician who was expelled from Congress last year after a brief scandal plagued tenure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stunt, queen, no kidding.
Speaker 1: I deeply regret my conduct and the harm it has caused. An accept full responsibility for my actions.
Speaker 2: Don't believe you not at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It reverses, of course, his denial last year of charges including lying to Congress about his finances and using campaign contributions for personal expenses. A play agreement calls for him to make restitution of at least three hundred and seventy four thousand dollars. Yeah good, at least. The aggravated identity theft charge carries a two year mandatory prison term that must be served consecutively with any sentence for the wire fraud charge. In court, he admitted to theft and applying for unemployment benefits that he was not entitled to receive. He also acknowledged making false statements and omissions on financial statements submitted to the House Ethics Committee and the Federal Election Commission. He was charged with twenty three federal felony, including wire fraud, money laundering, and the misuse of campaign funds. He was the first member of Congress to be expelled in more than twenty years last December, and only the sixth in history. So girl, girlfriend did make history. Yeah, what a what a messy queen, my God.
Speaker 2: And I'm holding out hope. Uh huh, that when he goes to prison and goes and goes through the cavity search, that then we will actually find out that he is really seven raccoons stacked on top of each other wearing a trench coat. As I had been theorizing this whole time.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna guess that's not going to happen. Two of his former aids, by the way, have already pleaded guilty to fraud in connection to his campaign. Sentencing is scheduled for February seven. Yeah, you know, this is the least he deserves for all the nonsense in michig Os, and you know, claiming claiming to be Jewish and then amending that to Jewish, Right, that's still funny. There was so much. There was just so much.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait, says here. He that some of the things he misused the campaign funds for were botox, credit card debt, and subscriptions to olives.
Speaker 1: Of course, as one does, girl yeah, with public funds, girl, girl yeah. And even the ways that funds were being raised, you know, there was a lot of misrepresentation on who you know, like calling and saying they were somebody else endorsing Santa, like the whole. There's so much mess. There, so much mess.
Speaker 2: Stunt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this child is permanently broken, but you know, I don't know. They call their heels for a time, and I don't know I learned something. I'm not hopeful, but I do hope we keep her out of politics moving forward. Okay, good lord Carl Dunn, Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 12: Thank you so much for having meet Charles and Martha.
Speaker 1: Really happy to be here. Absolutely, the fairy tale is something else, isn't it the ideas we have because really we're just I think we're all looking for the person who's crazy kind of matches our crazy enough to kill one another.
Speaker 12: Well, I think yes with an asterisk. I speak for myself here, but it seems to ring true for a lot of other people. Is that I spent my entire life looking for someone who was going to wave a magic wand and make all the dark things that I hated about myself go away. And I've would never tell them that's their job, because I don't think I even was sentient enough to understand that.
Speaker 1: That is, I was.
Speaker 12: Doing an interview to find someone to do that job, the work that I wasn't prepared to do. Yeah, And I think that's that was definitely the big driver for me. So I would constantly find these incredibly enigmatic men that I dated in my life. Somebody, a friend of mine once said to me, your type, like the guys you date always seem like they could start their own religion, Like they have a magnetism about them. Yeah, And I think I was really drawn to that because I thought these people were going to save me. And something that I realized, you know, and this is great news, is that no one's coming to save you. No one is, which is great news because it means it's all up to you. You don't have to wait for anything to happen. You don't have to wait for someone to write in is this the person that's going to do it?
Speaker 1: Or whatever?
Speaker 12: You do it all for yourself. And it took me a long time to figure that out. But yeah, it's great. I mean, once you've been I mean, this may sound like bad news.
Speaker 2: To some of your listeners.
Speaker 13: I'm sorry if.
Speaker 12: It does, but it's far more. It is a far more rewarding journey to figure yourself out, to know yourself, and.
Speaker 2: There are many ways to do that.
Speaker 12: I had to do it by being on my own because I know what I'm like and if I'm with something that was not something I could do with another person, that had to be a solo mission for me. But to really truly I mean, and other people have spoken to have told me that they've done the same thing, but they've done it because of the person they've found that they've ended up with, which is great. Two people can help each other do that, that's what a gift, you know.
Speaker 1: You know, But I think the biggest myth we carry into relationships is this idea that we can complete one another. That's not what happens.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We we need to complete ourselves and you know, we come together and hopefully we grow in directions that are not opposed to one another. But you know this this idea, like he completes me for chrisake, you know, that is your job and it's always gone itself, right, Yeah, because we we do. We put an awful lot of pressure on a partner, you know, if their job is to figure it all out for us, right.
Speaker 12: And then when we don't feel good and we don't feel whole, we're angry at them and not even realize that that's why we're angry at them because they haven't done that job yet that we didn't know. We've given them right and they'll find yourself like fighting and it's like what is this about? And it's like, I don't know, but you're not supporting me. You know something right, And yeah, it's really something you've got to You've got to figure that out out for yourself. I had to because I basically had dated the same guy five times in a row and married the last one, so I was I was repeating this pattern again and again. I'm not blaming them for it. I own my my one hundred percent of my half of everything that I did with these gentlemen and the relationships that we had. But yeah, you've got to do that for yourself.
Speaker 1: You've got to figure yourself out.
Speaker 12: It's the single I think the single greatest thing any human being can do is to know themselves.
Speaker 1: This Labor Day episode is brought to you by the Organized Labor that was off today. I spent it with Brene Brown. My morning, Ye I wish that were true. Watching a List of the Heart, I rewatched it. That's fun and that's good stuff.
Speaker 2: Everything she said was so timely that it's funny. To think that it's a that you know, we watched it before.
Speaker 1: Right, It's one of those things that, yeah, that you get something different out of it each time you hear it, right, you know, because something different will resonate.
Speaker 2: Like what did I just finished saying? Well, we were listening to her, like why you gotta yell at me?
Speaker 1: Burnebor that was from Super Soul Sunday. Yeah, because that that like popped up afterwards on Max like you might enjoy this, and I'm like, actually I would. So I looked for, you know, the one with her or one of the ones with her, and yeah, what did she say?
Speaker 2: She said, unused creativity isn't benign, it metastasizes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you were like, why is she yelling at exactly?
Speaker 2: Why you gotta be so loud?
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you're not using your creative.
Speaker 2: I am not not to the levels that I had been in recent months last year.
Speaker 1: Well you are right now?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, this counts okay?
Speaker 1: Good? Yeah, I'm glad, you know.
Speaker 2: Like I don't have as much time as I used to. Also, I hear you and you know, and that's okay, But you know, sometimes I miss having the kind of life where I could.
Speaker 1: Choreograph a piece well, and that's yeah, sure, I.
Speaker 2: Mean would just not to say that I couldn't if I wanted to correct. But it's harder now because I'd have to like find a space to rehearse and rent the space to rehearse all those things, schedule dancer, all those things, the things I don't miss.
Speaker 1: I hear you, I hear you. Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: It's like we were moving stuff to the track to the curve for bulk trash and we had a couple of like really sturdy wooden boxes.
Speaker 1: And right, and you were like contemplating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like five years ago, me would be like these would be awesome for like set pieces, and I'm like, you don't have a set piece needing kind of motherfucker.
Speaker 1: At the moment.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, now you might have a my friends need a set piece, and if they asked me, I'd happen to have it if they asked me tonight.
Speaker 1: But right, we don't have that kind of storage.
Speaker 2: Just and it's and I made peace with it, and it's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're just you know whatever. Somebody made crates at some point and they're kind of heavy and in the way, got no place to put them.
Speaker 2: And at the same time, if I do come across a moment where I need to have something built, you know what, I have a job that I could pay someone.
Speaker 1: To do build it exactly. It evens o it does. And I don't foresee needing one of those, you know, but who knows who I There are other wooden crates in the souse. Actually there are several.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there were.
Speaker 1: These were just two many.
Speaker 2: And also speaking of Nae Brown, she was talking about nostalgia, and you know, I talked about this and a piece that I made back in two thousand and nine, ten eleven, okay, and where I said, you know, they say that nostalgia is contempt for the present and fear of the future. And I was sitting at work last night and I happened to put on MTV because MTV, like sometimes I actually plays music videos. And it was nineties Nation and it was like all these videos from like, you know, my heyday in the nineties when I was in college and care free and shit, and I got that squirt of like of dopamine, and you know, I was feeling all happy and then I was like, yeah, but you're not now you're here now, right, Like that's cute and all, but this is where you are pay attention. Like I actually had that moment with myself.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I yeah, I don't. I'm just I think I stay in the present more often than I don't. Okay, I think. I mean, I like, you know, the music of my era and the music that came before and some of what came after. But I just I don't think I feel like, oh, those days, those halcyon days, because they really weren't. I mean they weren't. I mean, you know, they talked about that was one of the things she was talking about, or she had one of her guests talking about, was the danger of you know, the way we look at the past, we forget about the bad parts, right right, We forget about you know, we remember those found my holidays. We forget about you know, the drunken uncle or the grandfather who everyone kept the children away from like that, like we forget that, and yeah, I don't tend to look back. Well.
Speaker 2: The thing about that is, like I know, for some people it's like, you know, they peaked in high school, they peaked in college, and so that's like.
Speaker 1: My life didn't even start until after high school though.
Speaker 2: Right, But for me, like the nineties as a creative time influenced, like for many years after, influenced my present and my plans for the future. So I guess that also carries that sweet spot, you know. But now my life, the life that I have now is not is very different from the life that was informed by that period of time so directly, so I have a different relationship with those memories. Sure, it's just interesting, good talking about. But I'm proud of myself for having the the the presence of mind to be aware of these things.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, gotcha?
Speaker 2: Like, first of all, in the nineties, podcasts were not a thing, So I never would have even imagined that we'd be sitting here doing this and that there's actually people out there in the world who.
Speaker 1: Listen to us. Hey ya, right, there are all over the world, which is really exciting. Yeah. Actually, when I think about it, I try not to think about it too hard, right, you know what I mean? Gunner Montana, Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 8: Hi, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Wonderful to see you in your Childless Cat Lady shirt.
Speaker 8: I was such a colonless fan. I can't even stand it.
Speaker 14: I just really like witches, I really, I think there. I think the concept of witchery is really really cool. And there are a few things I didn't I wanted to tackle that I felt like I didn't have time to tackle on the first show, one of them being kind of like a more.
Speaker 8: Gender bent idea of what witches are.
Speaker 14: So we added kind of like a more male figure I guess you'd call them the male figure to the coven to kind of make it feel more genderless.
Speaker 8: And it was some really cool queer themes that we got to uh.
Speaker 14: Got to tackle with this one that I feel like I lost in the first one a little bit.
Speaker 8: But I always viewed them as like queer villains, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like very dark queer.
Speaker 14: Villains, and I feel like I really wanted to dig deeper into that. So this year I really kind of dove headfirst into into all the fagatory.
Speaker 8: Of what this coven you know what I'm talking.
Speaker 1: About, as it were.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And so it has this really kind of deep, sensual, dark queer vibe, which I'm really excited about.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love it. I love yeah. Because Blackwood it was kind of like, uh, the queer uh sensibility was in the response to this like heteronormative violent, yeah thing that was going on.
Speaker 8: For sure, I see yeah.
Speaker 14: And I think one of the fun, more fun concepts of the show was to kind of flip the flip the script on our society and kind of prosecute heterosexuality.
Speaker 8: So you have this kind of it's a nice storyline.
Speaker 1: It's about time.
Speaker 14: It's about time, not just not to say that I believe it in the core of me or that I'm anti strait, just to say that it's really fun to see the irony in it, right, And there's a lot of insight that comes with just seeing the flip the script flipped. You know, you can really you can just you take in it differently when you see different people in the same situation. So the prosecution of heterosexuality, there is this whole storyline about like how you're not allowed to be in or sexual relationship in this coven.
Speaker 8: It's not you know, and and.
Speaker 14: So it's it's visibly, very visibly persecuted in this show in a very dark way. And I think there's something really interesting and cool and unique about that and fun. We obviously got stuck in a multiverse version where heteronormity and sexuality is.
Speaker 8: Kind of like essential to having people, you know, in a way.
Speaker 14: But in the world I created, it's not you don't need it's not reproductive.
Speaker 8: You know, there's it's not a reproductive norm.
Speaker 14: These witches are making witches without heterosexual relationships, right, so so you no longer need that foundation, right, so therefore you you now have the ability.
Speaker 8: To persecute it, which I think is really really fun.
Speaker 15: Yeah, not to say that heteronormative couples are the only people that can have children these days, but it is an old school kind of ver a thought which I'm having a lot of fun, just kind of fucking.
Speaker 8: With for sure.
Speaker 2: Jack Tambourie is in the house. Hi, Jack, how are you? Hi? Charles, thank you for inviting me. I'm happy to be here. Especially in the nineties, you know, pre pre social media, pre internet, pre grinder where you can order men like pizza. You know, it's like that being gay, being queer for a lot of white folks was your taste of being other, and you know, you would find yourself in groupings of people that you otherwise might not have because we have this thing in common.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, when would I have had meaningful opportunities for encounters, deep encounters with folks of color outside of gay community.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I think about this a lot. My high school is pretty diverse, and it also was structured with racist academic tracking, so like there were there, there were kids of all sorts all around me except in my actual classes, you know, And so yeah, yeah, it really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's an interesting conversation that I never really yeah, because you know, there is definitely a class structure within the LGBT community. If we're talking, if you introduce the element of race, and.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean, right, it's a whole let's yeah, let's not say that game al community is a racial utopia.
Speaker 2: I will not.
Speaker 4: But uh, I think a lot about Samuel Delaney, the writer has I'm gonna butcher this, but there's a kind of he wrote a book it's sort of half memoir, half sort of really academic, uh, sort of treatise called Time Square Red, Time Square Blue that I read in my twenties and is something that I really hold in my heart, where he proposes that that essentially that that that cruising is a sort of profound and vital aspect of human culture because especially within capitalism, because it's the it's one of the only spaces where people of different class backgrounds have an opportunity to encounter one another outside of the rules of transaction. Now, now, is cruising or gay bars or are those in fact a transaction?
Speaker 2: I think there's plenty of transaction.
Speaker 4: Going on, but I think I meant its at its most basic, like, you know, really literal, dumb sort of the reality of my encounters with with folks of a class background that's different from me. Either I'm serving them something, they're buying something for me, I'm being served I'm buying something from that Like like transactions in its most sort of obvious broad sense, that's like ninety percent of inter class contact in most places in the United States. And something about queer space creates potential for.
Speaker 1: Uh, for something more meaningful.
Speaker 2: Definitely, the problem arises when let's see, how can I put this, when the marginalized of the marginalized seek save spaces, right, and then you know, I guess I'm trying to say is like the problem comes in when you have the gay white men with money.
Speaker 4: Who right, who are bringing class hierarchy into the space, right?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 16: Let me get let me get to the short part of that, right, because you know absolutely, but it's all combaya until you know the cops show up sometimes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the proposal of a space that simply doesn't in and of its nature have to adhere to sort of rules of spaces of buying and selling more more, sort of explicitly or formally. I think perhaps this is more about potential than about actual hmmm qualities.
Speaker 1: Yes, Nuko Lang, welcome to the Full Circle table.
Speaker 17: Thanks, It's so good to be here, such a long time coming.
Speaker 1: Clearly there was reason this book had to be written. Can you talk a little bit about that? What gave you the not just the idea, but the wherewithal to travel the country and you know, have these conversations. Sure, I think.
Speaker 17: Really for me, what it came down to is that I had the access in the resources to write this book and it needed to be written. So I just had a responsibility to do it. Because I've been doing this work for such a long time. I know so many of families of trans kids already, you know, like I've been an LGBTQ plus journalist for over ten years. I've been work working with families of trans kids for eight years. I know families across the country they like trust me, they love me, like we're like friends. Many of them you're not really supposed to be friends with their sources, but it's kind of inevitable if you stay in touch with people for such a long time, like you watch their kids grow up, you get like photos and updates when they're like graduating from high school, graduating from college. You know, there's this like camaraderie and this even more importantly, this trust that was built in. And I had a sense that if I had that trust already and I didn't have to work for it the way that some other journalists coming into this like might, that I could do something really special with that, that I could go so much deeper and just give people like a more interesting book, not like a better book, but just like something that would like get to this richness that might otherwise be lacking. So if I could do it, I knew that I had to, and I knew I particularly had to because of everything that we're seeing during this like awful political moment that we're all living through. More than six hundred and fifty bills this year we're put forward across the country targeting trans people, the majority target trans youth, and through that, we very rarely focused on the impact on these kids' daily lives, like how are they feeling all through all this, How are they getting through it, how are they experiencing it, how are they trying to figure out how to be a person like when all this stuff is happening, Because imagine that you are a child growing up in the shadow of people hating you, right and using that like politicized eight hate to try to keep you from having rights. And this has always been the way for trans kids, right, and for trans adults, they've always known this to be true. But it just feels like it's become so much more upfront and so much more organized now than maybe we've seen in some like previous decades. And kids are really like dealing with the bunt of it, and I wanted to put them at the center of their own narratives. We've very rarely heard from them about what they think about all this, And there's so much value to like learning about the lives of trans kids and like how they're life like not only experiencing this moment, but how they experience the world. Like to me, like we've treated these these kids as if they're like not human or they experience the world differently than the rest of us. But they're just kids, and they're just people like trying to like go about their lives. And I really just wanted to remind people of that, of that it's a really like sad political goal to have to remind people of the humanity of trans kids.
Speaker 8: But here we are.
Speaker 2: Today, I am sitting down with the Strides Collective. We are just with an embarrassment of riches of creative folk these days, and today is no exception.
Speaker 18: This isn't always the case where you're working with a team of predominantly queer folk on a queer play, so you may have a more interesting perspective than I do on it from the outside in.
Speaker 19: I guess one of the things that stood out to me, like, often when you're in theater spaces there are other queer people, so you don't necessarily feel alone. It's usually a fairly diverse group, but in this particular, it's like so present, we don't have to talk about it, if that makes sense, Like it's right, Yeah, it's just sort of a different cozy space where nobody I mean, I don't know, I guess I'll work off of. Like, one of the things I like in the script is one the fluidity of people as their relationships and their relationship with their self and their relationship with other people is changing. I think that happens in life, and it's nice to see it within the context of a single story. But also there's nothing confrontational really about the queerness. Like, yes, the one character's incident is kind of incited Grant's character by a perception that there's, you know, an anti queer thing there. Everybody's just sort of existing. Nobody's defending their queerness. It just is And I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I second that.
Speaker 20: I mean, I think it's that, despite Strives being such a new collective, that there is such a clear vision for what it is that everyone is trying to achieve, and everyone takes their work very seriously. And yeah, I feel like that there's such a supportive nature that I think is probably.
Speaker 8: Probably sort of.
Speaker 20: There seems to be such a supportive nature that I think is sort of innate to the group of folks that are coming together that you don't always find, frankly in a lot of theater spaces or a lot of professional creative spaces in general. So that's been really lovely to be a part of.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think like we.
Speaker 18: Yeah, that innate understanding, the sort of unspokenness that just is there so lovely doing work where like yeah, like the characters aren't fighting for their lives because of their identity is refreshing. Like the main character Caroline is queer, and it just is a fact. She has a lot of other trauma going on and a lot of other history, but like her sexuality, it's so sure, it's all like imbued in there, right, but like it's not the it's not the inciting incident of the play. It's not the main motivational factor. And the people around Caroline don't blink an eye. And the same thing with other characters when they when they delve into that identity to nobody blinks an eye anything. So the sort of you know, the quote unquote normalizing of that in the narrative is really refreshing because we just don't see that a lot in media, Like when queer stories are on stage or on film or whatever, it's usually there's something hateful happening or very very difficult related to it, right, And we try as a collective to like find stories that aren't always.
Speaker 13: Just about that.
Speaker 18: It's very real, obviously you don't want to shy away from just like the realness of what we all go through, but also we see so much of it, we live it, so like to live something else is nice.
Speaker 2: Elliott Schraefer is in the building. Hi, Elliott, how are you?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 13: I'm great, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: What drew you to science fiction? Have you always been a fan?
Speaker 13: I've been a fan of science fiction, yes, when I was a teenager. I loved two thousand and one and its follow up novels. I am a huge fan of Battlecarcalactica, the reboot that started in two thousand and four. And I think, you know, there's just something science fiction does, this crazy thing which takes things that we're concerned about, like social social questions that we have about how we relate to each other in our contemporary world, and it puts them in a new context where you can kind of see them a new and reassess it. And I think that's always been a really powerful selling point of that genre, just like how Star Trek back in the nineteen sixties was a way to talk about race for a country that was unwilling to talk about race. They were doing it through this diverse crew that was meeting, like Captain Kirk kept falling in love with various aliens, you know, so it was like you're like the first inter racial kiss was on Star Trek, And I think there's a way in which it kind of can push forward and in a way that contemporary aratives, not necessarily aren't so equipped to do, can actually look and really examine what's going on. And I think for me reading these science fiction stories, I never even hoped to find an LGBTQ character in them, right, And that felt like a real kind of loss, Like I would have loved to see myself in one of these stories. And so in the darkness outside us and the brightness between us, it's very much trying to like fill a hole that was there, not just around LGBT representation, but also, you know, sci fi kind of deservedly gets a reputation sometimes as being a little bit chilly, like it's kind of all about the ideas and not about characters and feeling. And I wanted to kind of also as much as I could, like just create characters and a romance that would really pull people in and so there's a way in which these boys are each other's only the only other humans in each other's lives because they're trapped on a spaceship together, and so there's a way in which they discover that connection is the only way to survive. And I think that's we all live a version of that story where you realize even with all your armor and you're saying, like, I'm good, I'm fine on my own, I don't need anyone, screw my families, screw my friends, whatever. Like we all learn like you do need someone. It doesn't have to be your family that you were born with, but you do. We are we only exist in emotionally healthy ways if we're in a relationship with someone of any sort not romantic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that is one thing that you know. I also am a fan of science fiction, and you're right, it does tend to be a little cold and clinical and sterile at times, and that is an element in your work that I do appreciate, that sense of emotional awareness and intimacy, and you know, yeah, I think it is safe to say that that comes directly from you know, our queer sensibility and the longing for connection and belonging and togetherness and family, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we have to work, you know, we all had to survive and upbringing where we weren't necessarily able to be our authentic selves, or most of us did. So a lot of our adulthood is about, you know, keeping whatever armor is useful, but also removing whatever pieces we can to become vulnerable to each other and not you know, not always because I think you know, I certainly if you look at like the wreckage of all my relationship from my twenties, I just was not ready to like sort of say like, oh I need you, I need help, you know, like those kind of things. I was like just always trying to like, no, I'm like, you're emotional, but I'm not feeling anything right now. And that was all the result of growing up in the closet and feeling like I had to like be walled off from meeting people, relying on them, or being my full self with them, And a lot of my work as an adult was figuring out how to become authentic again.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Decanted jug Wine and Early Voting. This was early October where a judge smacked down dad's demand to hang straight pride flags and kids' colassrooms. But what the fuck is this straight pride flag? I assume it's white.
Speaker 2: Actually I think it's gray.
Speaker 1: Well, that makes sense too.
Speaker 2: I saw like a mock up design. I wasn't even sure if it was real or not, like a couple of years ago, and I was like, yep, that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: It was boring this jack asked. Nathan Feldman also saw it three million dollars in damages for alleged discrimination his children faced for not being allowed to hang the flags.
Speaker 2: If it weren't for jackasses like you, we wouldn't need the gay pride flag, the queer plague exactly queer flag.
Speaker 1: He claimed he and his two children were discriminated against by a policy that allows teachers to hang pride flags in their classrooms at their discretion. He said his family's First Amendment rates were infringed upon when school administrators rejected his demand to hang straight Pride banners up alongside LGBTQ plus flags in mile high classrooms. I believe this is Colorado, right, I think. Federal US Magistrate Judge Scott T. Varholock commended that Feldman's claim be dismissed. Yeah. Colorado Politics reported the judge cited an opinion by US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Bryer, who wrote, when the government speaks for itself, the First Amendment does not demand airtime for all views.
Speaker 2: It doesn't say here what grade the kids are in. But I'm thinking, like, you don't even know your kids are straight, sir? Yeah, I mean, and they could be, but they also just as likely could not be.
Speaker 1: His claims of sex discrimination and equal protection claims were meritless.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Again, Queer pride flags are not pro anything other than inclusion and safety and providing a space for everyone. Yeah, you know, a straight pride flag would actually do the opposite of.
Speaker 1: That, exactly, And they're fine with that. They don't want everyone to feel included. They don't want us to feel safe, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like that, like ignoring the fact that I'm sure there will be straight kids in the mix that would also feel uncomfortable with the straight pride flag because of what it represents.
Speaker 1: And I think a yahoo like this with a clear agenda, probably backed by one of these interesting organizations, doesn't begin to get It doesn't begin to understand any of it and doesn't want to right, and probably you know, sees children being far more inclusive these days and can't stand right, which makes me wonder what he's having.
Speaker 2: I had to be bullied, so you should be bullied too.
Speaker 1: Or something, yeah, or something. But you know, maybe his kids have a transferend or something in a sent him over the end.
Speaker 2: Who knows as kids today getting hugs and love and shit. I know right, I'll not have it.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. I don't even know what the fuck this is brought to you by. You know what I'm saying, Langston Hughes and Maya Agelin, That's what it's brought to you by.
Speaker 2: Good enough. Let America be America again. Let it be the dream it used to be. Let it be the pioneer on the plane seeking a home where he himself is free. America never was America to me. Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed. Let it be that great, strong land of love, where never kings connive, nor Tyrant's scheme that any man be crushed by one above. It never was America to me.
Speaker 1: You may write me down in history with your bitter, twisted lies. You may trod me in the very dirt that still like dust. I'll rise. Does my sassiness upset you? Why are you beset with gloom? Because I walk like I've got oil wells pumping in my living room, just like moons, and like suns, with the certainty of tides, just like hopes springing high. Still, I'll rise? Did you want to see me broken? Bowed head and lowered eye, shoulders falling down like teardrops weakened by my soulful cries? Does my haughtiness offend you? Don't you take it awful hard? Because I laugh like I've got gold mine digging in my own backyard. John S. Garrison, Welcome to the full circle table.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 10: I'm glad to be here. Part and parcel of the Red, Hot, and Blue Project was a public awareness campaign that had posters and wheat pasting and whatnot about ah tov prevention. And that campaign was radical too, one because it showed unclothed and naked straight couples, gay cut queer couples, but also it showed mixed race couples. It was bilingual. It was this kind of early moment in the pandemic where a lot of the prevention messaging was just about white men because that was like, because it received as a gay male disease. Like, part of this project for me was going back to all this stuff I'd kind of forgotten. I forgot that when HIV first emerged, it was referred to, you know, by the White House as a gay plague, right, and even in medical circles it was called gay Gay related immune deficiency syndrome.
Speaker 1: GRID G GRID came before it.
Speaker 10: I mean, and if you listen to that name gay related, I mean like it sounds like, oh, because you're gay or related to the gay quote unquote lifestyle, you get this disease, like like gay itself is sort of a disease or attracts disease. Gay is a sickness.
Speaker 1: And there was course, well, and it was you know, you mentioned that in the book. It took until nineteen seventy three for it to you know, be removed from the DFM.
Speaker 10: Yeah, one hundred per Yeah, it took. And you know there's this lag time, so you think, just because it is taken out of the DSM in the seventies doesn't mean that all the way through my I don't know when I was growing up or even today, people don't think, oh, isn't it sort of something you catch? Can't people be recruited? Like all those all those ideas are still there. So, you know, writing this book really took me back to that era. I don't know if I blocked it out or if things are better now so I've forgotten how bad they used to be, But I mean it was it was hard to go back to thinking about what it was like in the late eighties early nineties. But it was also good for me to remember that. I mean, all that stuff was so readily available, all that kind of prejudice, all that homophobia, transphobia, like all that racism, like it just immediately bubbled to the surface with the pandemic.
Speaker 1: Yes it did, Yes it did, because we had the seventies, right, so we had Stonewall and other uprisings in the nineteen sixties that kind of led us to a brief era like you know, it lasted about as long as Disco when we were kind we were there, you know, kind of celebrated and part of the culture, and you know, the village people and all of that. And then here was Aids nineteen eighty one and a lot of people believed that was our come up, and like, see, that's what you get from that kind of behavior, celebrating all that saggotry, right, And that really was the way it looked, you know. And so for all the strides we made, we took a huge, huge step back for you know, most of the eighties and the nineties. It changed the conversation. This episode is brought to you by decanted jug Wine and my tired ass South Carolina mayor who used the word faggot in a meeting. It was said he meant a bundle of sticks, before claiming he didn't know what the well known anti gay sler meant at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we live in sixteen oh nine that you just randomly assumed that when you say the word faggot, that everyone's going to think you mean the bundle of sticks, which I might point out is meant to be burned, which was why it was used in reference to homosexuals in the first fucking place. Don't try and gas on my leg and tell me is raining motherfucker? Thank you, like fuck you for trying to insult my intelligence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a South Carolina mayor is facing widespread criticism. Good after an inflammatory exchange during a city council meeting I'm reading out of the Advocate, which repeated an anti gay slur and made comments many have called inappropriate and unprofessional. It was captured on video. The incident happened when a resident identified as Calvin used the public comment portion of the meeting to accuse Darlington Mayor Artless Boyd cowardis Boyd of violating state law by living outside city limits, a requirement for holding political office.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 1: Calvin challenged the mayor's residency and called for an investigation. Boyd, who was elected in twenty nineteen and reelected in twenty twenty three, responded with an offbeat an unexpected invitation. You're welcome to leave with me tonight and if you want, you can sleep in my bed butt naked with me. He said, I'm sorry, what the wow? The comment drew laughter from the audience, but Calvin replied I'm not gay before using an anti gay slur. Boyd echoed the slur in his response, saying I'm not that either. In the days that followed the exchange, Boyd defended his remarks, telling local media outlets that he didn't intend to be offensive and repeated the slur, only to mere Calvin's words, Okay, the F word that you were referring to means a bundle of sticks, and he said he was not that. I said, I'm not that either. Whatever it is, I looked it up and it means a bundle of sticks if you look at the dictionary. I think you love intentionally obtoose jerk offs.
Speaker 2: That's not even being intentionally obtuse. That is trying very hard to back up your own nonsense. I didn't say the hard R.
Speaker 1: I said, ah, I haven't done anything wrong or said anything wrong to him. Well, he maintained he didn't use the word as a slur, but that he apologizes to those he offended. H he feels that has been blown out of proportion. Of course you do.
Speaker 2: But hell so, at best, you're an idiot. At worst, you're an asshole idiot.
Speaker 1: David Beack, Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 11: I think it was a fascinating character because it's someone who sort of hold holds on to her faith, you know, despite the persecution and the discrimination, and it's like, well, I know the difference between faith and spirituality and religion you know, and and faith is personal.
Speaker 6: It's you know, something that.
Speaker 11: Man cannot touch, you know, it's it's something sacred that's just between me and my higher power.
Speaker 6: And I love that that.
Speaker 11: I mean, she's sort of in a way was the wisest in the movie and the sanest person.
Speaker 2: In the movie.
Speaker 21: You know, we all were kind of quirky, crazy characters, koky characters, you know, including the kids, and she was just this this core you know, stable force, the sense of.
Speaker 6: Calm in this world.
Speaker 11: And uh, that's what I that's what really drew me to the the story, into the projects, you know, that's what a story we wanted to Well. So, yeah, because a lot of times as LGBTQ people were kind of once we come out as whatever we are, we're almost obligated to, uh you know throw that away, you know, not just the religion, but like everything and and I think you know, it's a it's a delicate conversation, but you know, there is a huge difference between spirituality and religion, and a lot of people enjoy the ritual of Catholicism or religion, you know, the sacraments, the you know choir.
Speaker 6: You know that that was a big thing in the movie, like singing in the church choir and participate in you know, in the community, and it's like, what are we going to do?
Speaker 2: We're not welcome.
Speaker 22: You know.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Decanta jug Wine and the find out phase of Novembers fucking around, you know whatever, God to say, Happy New Year baby, it is. Indeed, somebody just looked at me with such a look when I said Happy New Year. I went New Year, and they went, okay, fair enough, Yeah I hear you.
Speaker 2: But you know what, no, because I have decided, okay that for this year, my plan is to move forward being as intentionally like good and fabulous and positive as I can be, because the alternative just like being angry and sad and depressed and whatever.
Speaker 1: Like for what. Well, I mean, I agree with you. You know, there's the whole jack boots in the street thing that is a little unsettling. But no, I get that we'll find out. But yeah, no, I mean I think that's you know, that's been the theme of the talking I've done since November is you know, we are stronger together. We are stronger when we stand in community. We are stronger when we stand up for one another as part of the same community. Correct, I invite the other letters to join.
Speaker 2: Me, and I am by no means suggesting that I'm you know, going to ignore what's going on because I can't.
Speaker 1: It's time we capitalize the ta y'all right, because you know, none of those letters are silent, none of them should be. And you know we've had a long and storied history of dealing with one another throughout the acronym. And you know, what comes to me today is very likely to come to you tomorrow. You know, let's let's us learn something from history if no one else exactly cared to because it's you know, it's going to be interesting. We know that as Suppo as the electorate is concerned, we're not the priority. But god damn it, you know that's this seems to be. They have such a hot nut for us, and it's just incredible, it's truly breathtaking, like a.
Speaker 2: Record number of new pieces of anti transit.
Speaker 1: Bush and now they get to play with fuck around on the federal level. Eighty one Democrats joined them, you know, in the National Defense Bill and Biden signed it. So yeah, plenty of disappointment to go around right now.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got you know, you know, I really hope we figure out at some point we're talking about human beings. We are not talking about politics. We're talking about lives.
Speaker 2: Right, not theoretical people either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not theoretical people. You don't know more than the doctors. You don't know more than the expect You don't know more than us about who we are. You know, I'm just anyway sick of hearing it. We're still gonna have to talk about a few things. But I think that's why I'm surly.
Speaker 2: I'm just I know, and I'm over here like, let's just shine our light well, and you know I'm working on that. I know.
Speaker 1: I shine my light of a goddamn day.
Speaker 2: I know you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Sunday. It's one I don't feel shining. I do not feel shining.
Speaker 2: This minisode is brought to you by freshly minted White Tears and the eternal search for consistent sanity and intelligence on the Internet. This story is about a certain motherfucker who actually is the reason why this segment exists. Little Miss George Santos is back in the goddamn news. The headline in LGBTQ Nation reads. Federal judge smacks down George Santos's attempt to delay sentencing until August to record podcasts.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, the podcast sphere is wide open to everyone. But bitch, we don't need you. You got other things you need to be doing, like taking your ass to jail. So George Santos, who is a former US House representative, in case y'all forgot, he was there all of five minutes before we found out that he lied about everything, everything, everything, Who he is, who he was, who he will be, where he worked, where he didn't work, who his mama and daddy is, where they're from, who they are, what they are. He lied about everything, and you know, again, the jury is still out. I'm waiting for my confirmation that he's not even really human. He is a stack of twelve raccoons wearing a trench coat. Because lied about everything. So he was ousted. He was indicted for fraud using campaign funds for personal things like only fans, subscriptions, and clothes and just messy queen, Messy messy queen. This bitch said he needed more time to pay his criminal fines using earnings from his recently launched podcast, Pants on Fire. With George Santos. He called it pants on fire. That's more egregious than OJ Simpson's If I Did It book, But anyway. His sentencing was originally scheduled to occur next month, but he wants to have until August to give him time to pay off the two one hundred and five thousand dollars that he owes in forfeiture He plugged guilty to wire fraud and aggravated identity theft. District Court Judge Joanna Sebert only allowed the sentencing to be delayed until April twenty fifth, noting that he hasn't made any payments toward the amount he owes despite his promises and predictions since pleading guilty. I hope y'all didn't think that he was going to do something he said he was going to, especially in terms of paying his bills, because he ain't never never, never, never, never never. In recent court hearing, Santos's lawyers argued that he deserved a delay in sentencing and now that he has quote a viable path to pay the fine through the quote promising revenue stream of his podcast, which was launched just last month. I'm sorry there are individuals out there who are making a more than a decent living as a podcaster. But to make plans on future revenue from a podcast, no matter who you are, that's not a good plan, booboo. You may as well just be like when my tax refund comes, or when I hit the lottery, or when Ray Ray give me back my fifty bucks. You know what I'm saying, Like Charle, but no integrity, no shame, So why am I surprised? Prosecutors argued that Santos had sufficient time to secure the funds to pay his two hundred and five thousand dollars fine. I just feel like that number of bears. Repeating They called his claims of being able to pay the fines through his podcast speculative hello, and said that delaying sentencing could set quote a perverse incentive structure that rewards famous defendants. Despite this, the judge said she'd delay his sentencing as a one time courtesy. I'll give you a little bit of time. She knows he ain't gonna come through, because why would this be any different? In August, Santos admitted to using another person's identity and credit cards, as well as campaign funds, as we said, for his own personal benefit. He originally faced twenty three federal charges of campaign finance fraud, including wire fraud, identity the fey laundering, theft of public funds, making materially false statements to both the Federal Election Commission and the US House of Representatives. He initially pleaded not guilty to all charges, calling them a baseless witch hunt, but then later accepted a plea deal because he didn't want to go to trial and possibly suffered decades of prison time because you did that shit, baby, we can see you now. In addition to his two hundred and five thousand dollars fine, he also owes an additional three hundred and seventy five thousand dollars in restitution and could face up to eight years in prison for his criminal misdealings. Miss Things says, it's clear to me now that I allowed ambition to cloud my judgment, leading me to make decisions that were unethical and guilty. It's clear to you now, Bit you knew you are messy, stunt queen. Pleading guilty is a step I never imagined I'd take a bet, but it is a necessary one because it is the right thing to do. Yeah huh. It's not only a recognition of my misrepresentation to others, but more profoundly, it is my own recognition of the lies I told myself over these past years. Bitch, you wrote this for you. I don't believe you wrote that. I don't believe you know how to write. I don't believe you went to school because raccoons can't write. So yeah, no one believes anything this person has to say about anything, ever, And the fact that you're even getting until April is very very, very very kind. And pardon me while I utter a healthy gufar guffar as we revel in this latest installment of.
Speaker 1: Joy, people taking pleasure and rio Qurte has welcomed to the full circle.
Speaker 22: Thank you, it's o good to be here. Thanks for having me out a.
Speaker 1: Time when books are being either banned or burned or both. Where do I love this one?
Speaker 2: Exactly? I was like, ooh, this this book is going to be called woke, all left, right, and sideway. Yes, I mean that's perfect.
Speaker 1: I assume you're prepared for that, right.
Speaker 22: I Actually, I'm so glad that we're talking. This is the first time that we really been able to talk about like our political reality alongside this book. Surprisingly, and it's true, like with the ABC's of Black History, it was it was banned in Miami, Florida, but and the ABC's were history.
Speaker 2: We talk a lot.
Speaker 22: About shadow banning, where even if people aren't banning the book, that merchandisers and retailers aren't taking a big position on the book because they don't want to deal with their customers, and so it's like a shadow like it's quietly banned in a way because they're not putting it out on the shelves, you know, because they don't want to engage in like volatile discourse with folks who come in the store. And so I think that's also happening all the time, especially with queer centered books. But with women's history, I feel, yeah, basically at there ready because there were certain things that I think, are you have to that were unavoidable for me to talk about in the book, like consent for example, or choice to include trans women in the story of women's history. All these things that I imagine and I anticipate that somebody out there is gonna have an issue with. So it hasn't happened, I mean, it just came out, So I don't know, but the world is magically a better place. But there are positions that I felt really strongly about taking in the book that, yeah, that I feel like I'm prepared for a little bit of opposition about.
Speaker 1: Which is sad but a reality right now exactly of the current discourse, which is upside down and insane. I mean, nineteen eighty four was supposed to be a warning, not a house to you got guidebook right, but you did touch on those things. And as I read through the book, you talk about so many powerful women through history. It wasn't until I got until the very end when I realized there was a section on you know, terms and figures. But as I went through and you mentioned these names, I thought, what a great primer, you know, for a parent to teach more right, to say, just to put a spark kind of on every page, like who are these women? When did they live, what did they do? And you provide, you know, a pretty concise piece in the in the back to read about the women who are mentioned in the book. But I still think, you know, talk about your mom, Tarles, what she used to do.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so my I'm biracial. My mother was white. My father was black, and my mom wanted to make sure that, you know, I was versed in black history, so she would bring these We had these black history calendars and each month was a different figure and so like she made me write like a couple of paragraphs about each person. Maybe you know, so that's why I know who like Sojournal Truth and Benjamin Banner and those you know what I'm saying. And these things are important for parents to make sure that your kids, you know, have more than what they will be fed in school.
Speaker 22: Yeah, oh I love that. I love that your mom did that.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 22: Absolutely, And I feel like, thank you for acknowledging the back matter. Takes a lot of time to create that as a resource, but I feel like it's so important because you would go and I really hope, I mean, I don't hope that there are people no one knows, but I love when there are moments where you encounter a name that you've never heard before you're like, oh, let me, actually I don't know who that is, like whether you're with the young person or not, like, let me look at the back and see. I think those moments are discovery is kind of what you're hoping for when we create a text like this.
Speaker 2: Full Circle is a Never Scured Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, produced and edited by Never scurd Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.