Speaker 1: Hey there, welcome to another deep dive. Today. We're going to be We're going to be diving into Sun Zu's Art of War.
Speaker 2: Okay, have you ever read.
Speaker 1: The Art of War?
Speaker 2: I have read the Art of War?
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, what do you think about it?
Speaker 2: I think it's a fascinating book. It's you know, it's it's kind of amazing that something written so long ago can still be relevant today. But it really is.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's interesting because it's you know, we think of it as this book about war and battle, but really you can apply it to so many different areas of life, from like business, personal relationships, even just your own personal goals and challenges. You know.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: So for our listeners out there who maybe haven't read the Art of War maybe just need a little refresher, can you kind of give us like a quick overview, like what is this book about and why should we care about it today?
Speaker 2: Sure? So? I mean, at its core, the Art of War is a treatise on military strategy. Yeah, but what makes it so powerful is that it's really about understanding and how to navigate it successfully. And those principles, like you said, they apply just as much to a boardroom negotiation as they do to an actual battlefield. Sunsu, you know, is this brilliant Chinese general and strategist. He believed that the ultimate goal was to achieve victory without actually having to fight.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: And the way to do that, he argued, was through careful planning, understanding your opponent, and really mastering your own mind.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it sounds like it's as much about self mastery as it is about, you know, outmaneuvering your opponent exactly. So how does that actually work in practice? Like, can you give me an example of a principle from the Art of war that people can use in their everyday lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, So. One of my favorite principles is, and this is one that I think really resonates with people today, is this idea that every battle is won before it is fought, Okay. And what Sinsu meant by that was that preparation is key. That if you've done the work up front, if you've anticipated the challenges, if you've thought through your strategy, you're already way ahead of the game.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about reacting to things as they come up.
Speaker 3: It's about being proactive, thinking ahead, having a plan, exactly.
Speaker 2: I like that. And you know this applies to so many different areas of life, right, Like, if you're going into a job interview, you don't just want to wing it right. You want to research the company, practice your answers to combin interview questions, really put your best foot forward.
Speaker 1: It's like that old saying, failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
Speaker 3: Exactly, but sin so he takes it a step further, Right, He's not just talking about avoiding failure.
Speaker 1: He's talking about setting yourself.
Speaker 2: Up to win absolutely. And that's a really important distinction because you know a lot of times people they get so caught up and just trying to avoid making mistakes that they miss opportunities to really excel.
Speaker 1: So it's about being strategic, being intentional, not just trying to get by.
Speaker 3: So we've got this idea of preparation being key. What else, what other nuggets of wisdom does sense you have for us?
Speaker 2: Well, another really important principle, and this one kind of builds on the idea of preparation, is this concept of adaptability. Okay, some suit he understood that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy. In other words, no matter how well you plan. Things are going to change, right the unexpected. It's going to happen, and when it does, you need to be able to adapt.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about having a plan A. It's about having a plan.
Speaker 2: B, C, and D exactly, or even being willing to throw out the plan altogether if the situation calls for it.
Speaker 3: So, how do you cultivate that adaptability? Like, how do you become someone who roll with the punches, so to speak?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it starts with being comfortable with uncertainty. Okay, you know, in today's world, we're so used to having all the answers at our fingertips. We want instant gratification, we want immediate results. But the reality is that life is messy. Things don't always go according to plan. And if you can embrace that uncertainty, if you can learn to be okay with not knowing everything, you'll be much better equipped to handle whatever life throws your way.
Speaker 3: It's like that quote, the only constant is change exactly. So we've got preparation, we've got adaptability.
Speaker 2: What else, Well, another really important principle from the art of war, and this one's all about self awareness, is this idea that if you know the enemy and know yourself. You need not fear the result of one hundred battles.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're adding self awareness to the mix.
Speaker 2: Now, exactly because Sanzu he understood that, you know, the greatest battles we face are often with ourselves.
Speaker 1: That's deep, right, our.
Speaker 2: Own fears, our own doubts, our own insecurities, and if we can't overcome those internal obstacles, we'll never be able to achieve victory in the external world.
Speaker 1: So how do we do that?
Speaker 3: How do we know ourselves in a way that helps us win those internal battles.
Speaker 2: That's what we'll delve into next. So knowing yourself in the context of the art of war, it really means, you know, it's about understanding, Yeah, understanding your strengths and your weaknesses. Okay, it's about being honest with yourself about like what you're good at and where you might need to you know, shore things up a.
Speaker 3: Bit, right, So it's not enough to just focus on our strengths. We also need to acknowledge our weaknesses exactly.
Speaker 2: In fact, you know, sense would argue that ignoring our weaknesses that actually makes us more vulnerable, because if we don't know what our weaknesses are, we can't prepare for them, we can't find ways to mitigate them or work around them.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: It's like, if you know you have a tendency to say, procrastinate on big projects, right, you can then take steps to like break the project down into smaller chunks, or set deadlines for yourself, or or even just ask for help if you need it right exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's actually a really good point because sometimes, you know, knowing yourself means knowing when to bring in reinforcements.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like knowing when to ask for help apps or delegate tasks or just yeah, admit that you don't have all the answers right, And that.
Speaker 2: Could be tough for some people, Oh yeah, especially in a culture that often values you know, self reliance and independence.
Speaker 3: Right, it's like we're supposed to have it all figured out all the time, exactly.
Speaker 2: But suns He understood that nobody's perfect. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and the key to success is knowing what yours are and then assembling a team or you know, even just surrounding yourself with people who can compliment your skills and help you fill in those gaps.
Speaker 1: It's like that old saying teamwork makes the dream work.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And it all starts with that self awareness, knowing what you're good at, knowing what you're not.
Speaker 3: So good at, and then using that knowledge to make strategic decisions about yeah, who you work with, how you approach challenges, that kind of thing, pcisely. So we've got preparation and adaptability, self awareness, what else what other gems of wisdom does since you.
Speaker 1: Have for us?
Speaker 2: Well? He was also a big believer in this and the importance of patience and timing. He wrote, and this is one of my favorite quotes from the Art of War. He said, he will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 3: That's interesting, right, because it's it's kind of counterintuitive, isn't it. It is like, especially in today's world, we're constantly being told to hustle, to go after what we want, to.
Speaker 2: Never give up, right, you know, Tarba adm and all.
Speaker 3: That exactly, So how do we reconcile that with this idea of waiting for the right moment, of knowing when to hold back.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it goes back to that self awareness piece we were just talking about Okay. You know, if you know yourself well, if you understand your own strengths and weaknesses, you'll have a better sense of when you're in a position of strength and when you're not right and if you're not in a position of strength. Sometimes the best course of action is to wait, to bide your time, to gather more information, to prepare yourself so that when the opportunity does arise, you're ready to seize it.
Speaker 1: It's like that saying patience is a.
Speaker 2: Virtue, exactly, and it's a virtue that's often in short supply these days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, it's so easy to get caught up in the rush, the urgency of everything it is. But sometimes, you know, the most strategic move is to slow down, to take a step back, to really assess the situation before you make a move.
Speaker 2: I agree, because you know, sometimes the most important action you can take is no action at all.
Speaker 1: Hmmm. That's a good one, right.
Speaker 3: So it's not just about knowing what to do, it's about knowing when to do it, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's about timing. It's about finding that sweet spot, that perfect moment when all the elements are aligned.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: So we've got preparation, adaptability, self awareness, patience, timing, what else.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're building up quite the arsenal here.
Speaker 2: Well. Sinsu also had a lot to say about obstacles, okay, which, let's face it, are inevitable in life.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he can definitely say that again.
Speaker 2: And one of his most famous quotes, and this one might seem a little bit cryptic at first, okay, but it's really quite profound when you think about it. He said, the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
Speaker 3: Hmm okay, yeah, that one does sound a little cryptic, it does, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: So break it down for me what does that mean?
Speaker 2: So essentially that what Sansu is saying here is that every obstacle, every challenge we face, contains within it the seeds of its own solution. Okay, It's like the obstacle itself is giving us the tools we need to overcome it, even if we can't see those tools right away.
Speaker 1: So it's like a riddle we have to solve in a way.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's about shifting our perspective. Instead of seeing an obstacle is a dead end, we need to look for the opportunity that's embedded within it.
Speaker 1: So give me an example, like, how does this play out in real life?
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's say you're working on a project at work and you hit a major roadblock, like you're completely stuck. You have no idea how to move forward in there, right, So most people they would see that roadblock and they would panic.
Speaker 1: Right or get discouraged exactly.
Speaker 2: Yea. But sunso he would say, Okay, what can we learn from this obstacle? What is it teaching us? How can we use this to our advantage. That's a good point, right, So maybe that roadblock you to learn a new skill, okay, or to reach out to someone you wouldn't normally collaborate with, or to think outside the box and come up with a completely new approach to the problem.
Speaker 3: So the obstacle itself becomes the catalyst for growth and innovation exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's why Sun Sou says that the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself, because it's often through facing and overcoming challenges that we discover our true potential.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: It's like what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, precisely, so are you saying that we should actually be grateful for obstacles.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if we need to go that far, okay, but I do think that we can choose to see obstacles as opportunities for growth.
Speaker 1: Right. It's all about perspective exactly.
Speaker 3: So we've talked about preparation, adaptability, self awareness, patience, timing, the importance of seeing obstacles as opportunities.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else.
Speaker 3: We need to know to become like Sunsoo Masters of the Universe.
Speaker 2: Well, there's one more principle from the art of war that I think is really important.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm all ears.
Speaker 2: And it's this. Sunsu He believed very strongly in the power of collaboration.
Speaker 1: Oh, collaboration, right.
Speaker 2: And this might seem a little bit counterintuitive, okay, you know, given that we're talking about the art of war, right, but Sunsu He understood that the most effective leaders they don't try to do everything themselves, right makes sense. They surround themselves with skilled individuals and they delegate tasks strategically.
Speaker 1: So it's about building a strong team basically.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and recognizing that, you know, sometimes the best way to overcome an obstacle it isn't to just you know, put your head down and try to bulldoze through it alone. Right, Sometimes it's about seeking out the expertise of others. It's about knowing when to ask for help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that's something that a lot of people struggle with.
Speaker 3: You know. It's like we're so conditioned to think that we have to do everything ourselves, that asking for help is a sign of weakness, right, But really it's.
Speaker 1: The opposite, isn't it. It is it takes strength to admit that you don't have all the answers.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and you know, it takes humility, It takes a willingness to learn from others, right, And I think you know that's something that sons who really understood okay, that you know, none of us are as smart as all of us. I like that, right, And that if we can learn to collaborate effectively to leverage the strengths of those around us, then we can achieve, you know, far more than we ever could.
Speaker 1: On our own.
Speaker 3: Teamwork makes the dream work exactly. So we've covered a lot of ground here today. We have preparation, adaptability, self awareness, patience, timing, seeing obstacles as opportunities collaboration.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: It is. It's like a whole toolbox for navigating life's challenges.
Speaker 1: It is. It's like Sunsu was like the original life coach.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: So as we wrap up here, is there is there.
Speaker 3: One final thought, one one final nugget of wisdom that you want to leave our listeners with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think I think the biggest takeaway from the Art of War, and really from all of sons whose teachings is that, is that ultimately, victory is a state of mind. It's about cultivating the right mindset. It's about developing the mental and emotional resilience to overcome any obstacle, to achieve any goal. And you know, it's about remembering that you know, the battles we face they may change over time, but the principles for winning them, those are timeless.
Speaker 1: I love that. That is a great note to end on.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: This has been a really, really fascinating deep dive. It has I feel like I've learned a lot. We too, and I hope our listeners out there have as well. So thank you all for joining us on this deep dive into the art of war. And we will see you next time,