Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: We were reunited with the one and only L and PD spokesman mister Dwight Mitchell joining us here in studio. He was on vacation for a little while I was on vacation last week. He came in and talked with Joe Elliott. But nice to be back with you, mister Mitchell.
Speaker 3: Well, Nick, is always good to see you as well, brother, and we both needed a little respite we got.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Did you enjoy your time away? Oh man, I'm missing the beach already.
Speaker 3: Oh man, it was a beautiful time, and especially with my family absolutely, and my son's, my wife, my daughter, whole grandchildren, Lottie dot and everybody.
Speaker 4: Well there, we had a good time.
Speaker 2: Vacation is needed. Glad to hear that you had a good time. And you have certainly been busy along with the other the other the team members at L and PD with when you're always busy, it's never never a.
Speaker 1: Job where you guys take the day off.
Speaker 2: But when it comes to the juvenile crime situation that's going on, a lot of listeners have asked, so if someone under the.
Speaker 1: Age of eighteen is.
Speaker 2: Out there clearly not being looked out for, maybe not doing something to where you can arrest them they committed a crime. I mean, what what is what is law enforcement's role there, because again you're talking about somebody that is not of age that they're probably out doing, you know, at all hours of the night, Like what what's the process of that? Now, again, it's different if you actually are charged with something, But there's many that many young children I guess that are just out and about clearly you know at any moment that they could be a victim of some violence or maybe they could be involved in it. But what what what resources do you guys have I guess to kind of you know, get them out.
Speaker 4: Of the streets.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a very complex situation because there's a lot of programs that even Metro government has outside of the police department. Because let me say this at the forefront, and I think this is a thing that's been echoed most of this week with the highlight of what's happened last week with the shooting around tenth and Chests and the one the of the day that we have a new spotlight on our youth. And the troubling thing of all of this is it's not so much of what we do with them when we catch them, what happens so they don't get into it before it ever gets to us. Because what law enforcements role is to detect crime and then to arrest the people or get them in the situation so they can pay for that.
Speaker 4: That's what we do now.
Speaker 3: We also want to prevent it on the forefront as much as we can, but that's not our job solely. I think the frame of what you've been here most this week is everybody now is saying, hey, it's all up to us to help these young people and to guide them. And obviously it starts with parents and family, and unfortunate there are some parents that are messed up.
Speaker 4: They can't do anything for their kids.
Speaker 3: I know that seems like it's lame, but it's factual in that case, and not unless there's a good set of grandparents or other family members to help guide these young people work, they're not put in harm's way of either committing the crime of being.
Speaker 4: A victim of one. That is the age question.
Speaker 3: Because if I had that answer, you wouldn't be asking me that question right now. So do I have a definitive answer for it? No, I don't. I do believe that it's incumbent upon this entire community. If you've seen what's happened this week with just crime period, beyond the fact that it's young people, you are to be upset, whether it's happening to you or not. Because last Friday we had a situation that happened in the East End and we saw what happened there. So no one's immune from it. It does happen in other areas more frequently, but you're not immune from it, and this are to upset you, especially when it's was our kids. So I am imploring anyone that has any information on any of the things that have happened this week give us a call in our anonymous tip line. You don't have to give your name or anything like that, but any small nugget that helps us bring some cleverty to what's happening and why it's happening, we want to hear from you, and that is your responsibility.
Speaker 2: With the last week, it does seem as if the heightened awareness of just hey, whatever I can do, let me know, because this is this is clearly an issue for the entire community, and to your point, it's not just in certain areas of Louisville again in the Easton situation. I mean, that's that was a scary ordeal in every way. So I would hope that this does lead to Okay, maybe I can't help with this or that, or maybe I did have some information and now I'm more inclined to share it. I know this is getting some coverage. It was it was covered by wk wire news partners, and I've talked about it the last couple of days on the show. But there was one of the fifteen year olds that was arrested and charged. His father turned him in. That is that That's huge. I mean, that's that's that's a powerful thing, and hopefully that could lead to others realizing, despite how bad things have gotten, this is the best thing to do at this point.
Speaker 3: Well, and one of the things that he said that was the most poignant thing to me was the fact that I would rather for them to call me and said we got him rather than we found you.
Speaker 4: And I think.
Speaker 3: Powerful things say it was powerful if you took five seconds to really let that permeate in your mind, that's how desperate that he was. And some people could look at him and say, oh, he might have been doing the same thing. But I felt for the brother that day because I think he was really trying to do the right thing, as most parents do. And unfortunately a lot of kids fall through the cracks, some of them offending for themselves. I feel like they have to, and they get involved in situations that the adolescent brains and thought process do not process things all the way.
Speaker 4: One thing I want to do.
Speaker 3: We put some pictures out the other day of the homicide that took place at the same bus stop the other day where it killed the young woman, And you know, they're not the best pictures in the world, but the closing description was very distinct, and anyone again who has any information about that can certainly give us a call because it's important. And we did arrest the second person of the first shooting that happened on the first or second day of school last week, and that person was believed at first to have been part of the homicide, but we found out that wasn't truth, but he was in the original shooting and we were able to take him into custody as well. So it's unfortunate that we're arresting young people, but it's necessary that we do for anybody of course committing crimes. And again, I hope it is a call to see I hope it is a wake up call to individuals to step forward and do what's right and as long as you do that will be all right.
Speaker 2: So are parents that are trying, the ones that are trying their best, and they realize that that despite their best effort, it's it's gotten to a bad point. And I could be wrong making this assumption, and not every situation is the same, but clearly some young children are being influenced by gang leaders, gang members and falling in that and and that down that path, and that's I mean, that's that's a dangerous situation, and I mean that that that's what I worry about it just thinking about kids who even you know, there are parents who are trying that may not be able to avoid that. But and there's some there's some kids that just don't have don't have anybody really looking out for them to where maybe they're finding, maybe for the first time in their life, a sense of importance, a sense of being needed.
Speaker 3: But of course it's just in a tragic way. Well, there's three things everybody wants in life. Love, affection, and a sense of belonging amen, and they're looking for that and seeking that. Hopefully you can get that from your parents, are your family members in the formative years in your life. But if you don't get that, you're going to seek it, because it's a human thing to say temen nature. And sometimes people who are doing the various things seese that and seize that opportunity with individuals and they're providing that. It's fake, but they're provided because people are yearning for that. And that's the unfortunate thing that we have to and that's what we need to do as families and as the village, as we always say, is to provide those things by young people. And you know, there's four things I told my sons growing up, and that is if you do these four things, and you do them in this order, you'll be successful. Go to school, get a job, get married if you want to have kids if you want to The last two are optional. But if you do that in that order, your chances of being in poverty, your chances are being in a bad situation are minimized.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying if you do it.
Speaker 3: Out of order that you can't make it just makes it much more difficult. And I know this seems very simplistic, but it's good medicine. I told him, I say, you can dip it in your own chocolate, do what you whatever you want to do. And I know they say, you know, I'm from a different era than I am, but I know there are certain things in the society that try it true and test it and still work.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I tell you what, when it comes to going to school and then getting getting a job, whatever that may be, that that could that could end up being where you find that that sense of Okay, I have it.
Speaker 1: Wherever I'm doing, I I have a role here.
Speaker 2: It's important, it's it essential and some people may not even realize that that can be fulfilling until they get it. The human element is a powerful thing, and that is I can just I can just envision a scenario where there's there's a a teenager that didn't even really know they were seeking that as far as feeling like they belong and then they get a little taste of it from probably somebody that wants to welcome them into a life of violent crime and a gang and then it just you know, that's the worst case scenario.
Speaker 3: What happens you know, Nick, when you're a baby and all you know is baby food, that's okay until you get some barbecue ribs.
Speaker 4: You don't want baby food anymore. Now, Well, that's life well said.
Speaker 3: And I think when you get a good taste of a good thing, and hopefully it's the right thing, you're going to do great things. And all the listeners that are hearing today, you know, you've heard me many years, you know, bringing bad news. But I want to bring some good news today. And in spite of everything that's happening, there are some good people that are going to rise up out of this. And even though there's some families that I feel for them exactly what they're going through right now. It's nobody wants to be burying their child or some of these acts were committed in front of children and their own children when they.
Speaker 1: Were doing that, and that alone is the traumatic experience.
Speaker 3: It's traumatic and it's terrible, and that's another reason why we've got to get a handle on and then get a handle on it quickly. A couple of things outside of that, I do want to implore our folks to do.
Speaker 4: Over the weekend. You got State Fair going on. There's gonna be a traffic pattern there.
Speaker 3: You want to go to our website and check that out and then iron Man Sunday, because that may inconvence some folks and they might want to go to our website to see what roads are closing everything like that.
Speaker 4: But imparting today. I just pray for our community.
Speaker 3: I pray for our leadership and those who have a passion for our community. And I think we all do in our own way, but there are some people out in the forefront and I'm certainly praying for them that we can bring some closure and clarity. And those who are having to make fumal arrangements. You didn't think you were going to.
Speaker 4: Have to make.
Speaker 3: God bless you real good when you're going through this. And certainly the Little Metro Police Department is going to do everything we can to hopefully bring some closure to the this, and we're asking the communities helping and helping us get there, and the Mayor's office is doing all that they can. They're sincere folks, And I know you're going to have him in here later and you know he can have his own thing to say about that, but I just want him to know that we're behind him. When everybody is because all of us want the community that I've grown up and lived in for almost sixty four years, and I just have a heart for the community. I sure wanted to be what the best is as you do.
Speaker 2: Well said, well, appreciate your time as always, I know you're busy. We'll let you get back at it, and always a pleasure to chat with you. We'll do it again next week. Okay, my friend, that's LPD spokesman Dwight Mitchell, will come back with some traffick and weather updates first right here on news RADI wait forty whas.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Joe. Been a busy morning.
Speaker 2: Had a good conversation to get the seven o'clock hours started with l ANDPD spokesman Dwight Mitchell. You can tell that's a guy who cares a lot about this community, and a lot of people listening do as well. And it's been been a rough, rough week to say the least, when it comes to just the uh, the violence and whatnot. But and I know some people feel differently and that's your opinion, that's totally fine. But during times like this, I mean I do feel like leadership is in a pretty good place here in Louisville and in a variety of ways. And that didn't mean that everything's gonna be okay. I mean, I hope that it is. None of us really know, but when I can sense that there's and again this is just me. I'm not trying to say that everybody has to agree, and if you don't, that's fine. But when there's when there's clearly I think genuine support within the Mayor's office and leadership at LMPD, I mean that that that makes me feel a little better. You knows, it's a it's a put it this way, it's an optimistic type of thing to to It's an optimistic way to look at it. Because again, not to say that it's all on leadership, it is clearly that's that's I mean, they're in those positions for obvious reasons. However, the community has to do their part as well. And I do feel like what Dwight Mitchell said is true is that it does seem as if now at this point, just because of the heightened awareness of everything that's been going on, that there's at least more that weren't paying as much attention that now realize. Okay, anything I can do to help, because nobody wants any of this to happen, but clearly it's still happening, and it's a tragic situation all the way around. But we're going to talk to me with Greenberg coming up here at eight o'clock. It is seven thirty six here at Kentucky and his morning news on news radio eight forty whas I can tell you this, I was a little surprised to see these numbers, but it's legit. One of those things that I had to just do a double take and actually make sure I wasn't reading some fake news stuff. But I guess this is good, I suppose. But drinking alcohol is apparently no longer as as common as it once was, So the alcohol consumption in the United States has dropped fifty four percent, the lowest in America since nineteen thirty nine. I would have guessed that alcohol consumption was maybe slightly up because of just you know, you know, and again people some people drink for just I guess there's a lot of different reasons why somebody would drink alcohol. But I'm looking at these numbers here, and that's why I'm spending my wheels, because I'm just trying to see if there's if there's a specific factor that is believed to have been most impactful here in people not drinking quite as much as they as they once did. But it says fifty four percent of Americans say they drink alcohol, the lowest figure in this survey or this study's eighty six year history of asking that exact question. So it's down from sixty two percent in twenty twenty three and fifty eight percent in twenty twenty four, which, of course that's a pretty sharp two year slide. So consumption rates hovered between sixty to seven seventy percent for decades, with spikes in the seventies in the early eighties. And I guess the factors that they believe have led to this is health consciousness, rise of non alcoholic alternatives, changing social norms, and younger generation drinking less.
Speaker 5: Can I confess something real quick. I love drinking non alcoholic beer. Really yes. Whenever I go over to so my my in laws, they're also they're they're the keepers of the non alcoholic beer, at least when it comes to people that I go over, you know, to their house or whatever. And so when we get in their southern comfort hot tub. I like to drink one of those.
Speaker 2: Did that come with Dwight whit and making weekly appearances nude?
Speaker 5: No, thankfully it did not with nude Dwight Wind appearance.
Speaker 1: They got ripped off then yes me, but yes, and.
Speaker 4: You know me.
Speaker 5: I'm not a big alcohol drinker in general, but for some reason, whenever I tried one of those non alcoholics, it's just I think I like the taste of beer without the without the alcohol inside that makes sense, the weediness of it?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Is it non alcoholic like light beer?
Speaker 4: Is it crab?
Speaker 5: I've had different kinds, but the one I had most recently was a michelob Ultra that was zero percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know many that that do it regularly, But I mean I used to think beer was disgusting as far as the taste. When I was in my early twenties. I just threw it down the neck for effect, if that makes sense, right, like to get drunk, because I was a young twenty something year old that just you know, was clearly in a different life at that point. But now, I mean, I clearly have a beer with dinner, and it's not because I'm trying to, you know, take the edge off, for get a buzz. It's because I do like the taste of it. So I'm sure if I never could have alcohol again, but yet one was presented to me in the same taste, but it didn't include the alcohol itself, I'm sure I would still enjoy it. But you know, and this is one of those stories that I probably should have held off because it just popped up in front of me, and I'm kind of reading through it as we speak. That's why I'm kind of spinning my wheels here. But as I'm now looking at the possible factors, they mentioned alcoholic alternatives. Of course, that's certainly non alcoholic beer. But I also think that if you're just trying to catch a buzz, essentially relax, I mean, clearly getting inebriated to an extent can just relax. You know. Obviously there's a difference in being you know, slightly buzzed and being hammered drunk, but you can now get the same.
Speaker 1: Level of, like, I guess, relaxation.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's probably not the right word to use with different things like like THC products. I mean, they now sell seltzers that include the effects that you get from THHC and like Delta, Delta eight, Delta nine, and you know, it's we talked about it. Actually, it was one of the first things we've discussed when I when I took over the mornings, is that, you know, regulating that is certainly it's been a it's been a story because it's it's a new thing. But man, clearly there's a market for it because these manufacturers have realized that this is a product that'll take off. And I think it is taking off, to be honest with you, And I've yet to try one, but I would know that, Yeah, I got to be a little mindful of of of this effect. You know, I can't drink these. I can't throw three of these down the neck like I would a high noon because it won't get me intoxicated to the level of being drunk, but it'll you know, I'll be impaired and it could be you know, either it'd probably be a lot worse. To be honest with you, again, you never know until you try. But yes, that when I'm trying to think, okay, like why would people stop drinking alcohol? Like all these factors they mentioned here makes sense, And John is an example to where he likes non alcoholic beer and maybe there's a I mean again, I will say this, I see it more now marketed in stores than I ever used to, because clearly they've learned that, yeah, we can make this and people will enjoy it despite it not having any alcohol at all. Do you have a favorite non alcoholic.
Speaker 5: I don't really know the names for him too well. The michelob that had a couple of days ago wasn't too bad. I've had one of them that's from athletic. I think that's ah.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, that's that's an example of the one I was just referencing. As far as to where it became, it became kind of you know, clearly they realized, hey we got something here. People will buy this so interesting. So hey, people aren't boozing as much, but you know, I guess that's a good thing. Right, all right, we got to get to a quick break. We'll come back with traffic and weather right here on news radio eight forty whs. It is seven forty seven here Kentucky in his morning news on news Radio eight forty whas coffee in company with you. Appreciate you hanging out with us, as we get you set for the weekend. Happy Friday best day of the week in my opinion, and you don't have to agree, but if you disagree, you're wrong. And again, as I always say, it's really just state of mind, right, because you know you got Saturday Sunday with probably some responsibilities things to do, but it's you know, it's not the work week, and I know not everybody works, say nine to five Monday through Friday. But yeah, Friday's best day of the week. And happy that we made it here. Also happy that we're gonna be joined coming up here at eight o'clock by Mayor Greenberg. Once we finish up the eight o'clock newscast, we'll have the the Mayor here and they're looking forward to to chatting with him. Obviously a lot going on in the last week when it comes to just some some awful situations with violent crime. And you heard Mayor Greenberg along with Police Chief Humphrey and JCPS Superintendent doctor Yearwood talking to the media in the community on Wednesday. But man timing not great because it did probably get in the way to distract some folks in regards to a huge week as far as corporations investing in their future here in Louisville, which of course can only impact the future.
Speaker 1: Of Louisville positively.
Speaker 2: We were five billion dollars was invested this week as far as the announcements with Ford and their ev electric vehicle future here in Louisville. And then also Ge Appliances three billion dollars as far as a national a nationwide upgrade, biggest investment they've made here since the nineteen fifties. Not to mention Texas Roadhouse, who's on fire right now, one of the hottest restaurants in the world seemingly, and we of course are their hometown here in Louisville, and they have a twenty five million dollar investment they've made in their new buildings they're going to have and have all their corporate headquarters support center continue to be right here in Louisville. So again we'll talk about that as well with Mary Greenberg. I want to talk to you guys about the lois of Men's Clinic because they have helped me in I know that they can help you. And you think of the little of Men's Clinic. I'm sure there's some of you that just say, well, yeah, I don't need that. I'm a man, I'm tough, I no issues for me there. And that may be the case. But you also just may not even realize that. If you think you feel fine, and you do feel fine, you could feel better because if your testosterone levels are not where they need to be, you could end up realizing, wow, I thought I was feeling great, or I thought this, you know this losing my edge and becoming lethargic at times was just being tired because I'm getting older.
Speaker 1: Well, it could just be.
Speaker 2: It could be simply because your levels are not where they need to be when you get to a certain wh when you get as you get older, the levels of testosterone need to be in certain ranges for you to to feel to feel like you're not losing that edge. That was the case for me, But there's also a lot of other ways they can help you. When it comes to a rectile it's function that's a real problem for a lot of people, and they have a variety of ways in which they can treat that, and they stand by what they do, meaning they have an intimacy guarantee. If you don't perform, you don't pay. And they are not only professional, they have a level of I mean, they've done this long enough that they understand that that's probably not an easy thing for men to discuss with the stranger. But they make it to where it's as comfortable as possible for you, and they'll get you situated with a variety of options as far as how you can treat that. And again, if it doesn't work, you don't have to pay them anything. That's that's that's telling you they stand by what they do.
Speaker 4: So again.
Speaker 2: LOILMNZ clinic dot com is the website. Fabo to four four four four thousand is the number if you want to give them a call. Traving and weather updates right here, right now. Another sports update on the way on news radio eight forty whas