Speaker 3: Good Monday morning.
Speaker 1: It is Kentuckyana's morning news here on News Radio eight forty Whas Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee.
Speaker 3: That's me.
Speaker 1: The full crew is here, you Distirred John Shannon with the news. John Alden's back after a nice vacation staycation, i should say, and of course Scott's alongside. We'll go back to sports coming up here in about twenty minutes or so. But some big news from yesterday to get our week started here, and that is that there is a trade deal that has taken place that of course was I mean, look the tariffs, that's been a big topic of conversation for quite some time now and still a lot of unknown as far as overall where that ends up, where that ends up headed, but as far as the deal that the United States and the European Union came together to agree on is big. So as we discussed earlier with Rio Neil, there's still a lot of unknowns, but the deal includes a fifty percent tariff across the board according to the European Commission Chief. And again this is this is this is good news right when it comes to just things that you could potentially expect to see from this for those maybe who don't pay attention and you just will notice it whenever it impacts you. We'll tell you a little bit about areas that may notice it earlier than others. We'll do that coming up a little bit later on. But here's President Trump in regards to this big news as they've come to a trade agreement.
Speaker 2: Very importantly, they'll be investing a lot of money. But the military is a big number. But that's one number. We're not determining it's going to be whatever it is, but they're going to be purchasing hundreds of billions of dollars worth of military equipment. They're very important that they're going to purchase seven hundred and fifty seven hundred and fifty billion dollars worth of energy, so that's going to be great, and six hundred billion dollars worth of investments into the United States over and above what they have, and I think that basically concludes the deal. I mean, those are the factors. I don't think there are too many other factors.
Speaker 1: So again, as far as what type of jobs, industries I should say are gonna benefit from this, there's a pretty good breakdown. And again it's just a projection, but I think it's encouraging news. So we'll talk about that coming up a little bit later on. One of the most talked about things in the streaming world right now is Adam Sandler's second Happy Gilmore movie, that, of course is a Netflix original. And I've said this before. I'm sure you don't remember it, because why would you. It is probably the movie I can recite word for word better than any other. I mean, I've probably watched Happy Gilmore more than any movie I've ever watched in my life, and I'm not sure if that'll ever be topped, and it's such a nostalgia thing for me. But think Happy Gilmore, Dumb and Dumber, Tommy Boy. Those are like the three comedy movies that just played on repeat for me when I was young, and I could still watch them today over and over and enjoy them because I'm sure everybody has movies like that that they just watched enough and it's something that's special to you. So I remember having a near panic attack knowing they were going to legitimately run it back and do the entire thing all over again with so many pieces from the original, because this isn't needed, right this isn't necessary. I'm not even really sure who's asking for this. But over time, I thought to myself, Okay, I trust Adam Sandler. Adam Sandler, I mean, he's a smart guy. He knows that if you're gonna do this, just make it a nice, just nostalgic situation to where you just kind of, I mean, don't do the same movie all over again, but maybe just you know, remind us of how much we loved it, add some new flavor as many many years have passed since the original came out. So I started to be optimistic about it once I found out it was going to happen, and I'm certainly gonna watch it. But I haven't watched it yet, and I thought to myself, all, okay, I'm going to avoid anybody that gives any kind of like a recap, not even really because of spoilers, because I mean, I doubt there's some like crazy storyline here that's going to completely throw me off. But I just didn't want to hear what people thought of it, because I wanted to be able to come to my own conclusion and not feel as if I was. Let me, let me give an example as to what I would have expected. And by the way, I've now realized there's no way to avoid people talking about it, because anytime I pop up in any social media platform, whether it be Facebook, Instagram, TikTok x, slash, Twitter, like, one of the first things that I see is somebody talking about this movie and sharing thoughts, and I quickly try to scroll past it because I don't want to see it.
Speaker 3: But it's unavoidable.
Speaker 1: But what I didn't want to see is people crushing it, because then I would probably watch it and like it and be like, it's just my nature to defend it because I don't wanted people to say it's bad.
Speaker 3: So from what I've gathered, you're you.
Speaker 1: I've seen two pretty consistent reactions across the board. Some have just said it's it's very awful, it's a disgrace, should have never been done. They're so disappointed. And then I've seen others that say it wasn't great, but it was perfect for what that would have to be. You know, you're not gonna make a better version of the movie. You know that it's not necessary. It's just a nice you know, just a nice way to bring it back into modern the modern world. But I haven't seen anybody say, oh wow, this was great man, what a phenomenal movie, which maybe I'll be the first to watch it and say that, because that's what I want to believe. But to be fair, like, there aren't many movies where a sequel is viewed as not only as good, but it's super rare to see one that's viewed as being better than the original. It happens like, I know some people say that Top Gun, the remake of that is actually better than the original, But I can't think of many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I can't think of many.
Speaker 1: I can't think of many comedies where they did a sequel and you felt like, oh wow, that was better than the first one. I mean, it's happened. We'll talk about that next because again, sometimes the sequel and if they go even further than that, it's clearly because they know there's a market for it. It's a money it's a money thing, right. But you could have not with a lot of these over the years, and it would have been fine. We'll get to that and a lot more.
Speaker 3: Stick with us.
Speaker 1: Your next update of trapping a weather coming your way right here right now on news Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 3: We are rolling along here on a Monday morning.
Speaker 1: It is seven sevent seen here at Kentucky and this morning news Coffee and Company NIT coffee with you here on.
Speaker 3: News Radio eight forty.
Speaker 1: Whas So when it comes to the big, the major deal between the United States and the European Union, for those that are wondering, okay, well, how will this impact my wallet?
Speaker 3: How will this?
Speaker 1: How will this impact me? And when you consider the energy sector boom, the EU's buying of seven hundred and fifty billion dollars worth of US energy. So if you work in oil, gas or energy infrastructure, I mean you can certainly expect a ripple effect of opportunity. And also when you consider the exports coming from America US companies, they're gonna flood the European market. We're talking goods, energy services. So there could be more demand, more production, and more jobs here at home in the United States. If you're in if you're in those kind of injuries or if you're in those kind of industries, I should say, all right, So back to the Happy Gilmore situation. I again, there's no scenario that our technology is not listening to us, right because I talk Happy Gilmore for that segment the beginning of the seven o'clock hour, and sure enough, it's it's now all that's popping up on anything I go to. It was already doing that anyway, but I'm not sure that that's timing. But when it comes to the reviews, this one, this isn't this is from Rotten Tomatoes, I think this is this. This puts me in a good place. It's getting so so reviews, but fans don't seem to care, meaning fans who just love Happy Gilmore. That makes me feel good as to it, because if I love it like I think I do, it could be subpar. And I'm still gonna say, well, I enjoyed that. I appreciated that that opportunity to really get nostalgic was there for me. So anyhow, I'm gonna watch it at some point. But my wife asked me last night because we got the kids to bed a little earlier than we usually do, and.
Speaker 3: I was too scared.
Speaker 1: John, I was like, no, I can't do it time.
Speaker 3: It's just all because of the Sunday scaries too.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh absolutely, yeah, you know me too. Well, that was a big factor. Had it not been Sunday, I might have been able to do it, but like, yes, the Sunday scaries were creeping in to where I'm thinking to myself, Okay, yeah, not tonight. I wouldn't even be able to enjoy it if it was good, because I'm you know, that Sunday. And by the way, I will say this, the Sunday scaries kind of went away from me whenever I was starting my on air shift at three o'clock in the afternoon. But now that I'll wake up at three o'clock in the morning to get my day started, Sunday is just turned into.
Speaker 3: It's almost not even the weekend anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're right, because there's there's so much and it's more of a mental thing than anything. But yeah, just knowing when I when I get out of here on Fridays and I've got all day Saturday, I'm not thinking about what I got to do the next day. Well, now I've got to be super mindful all day Sunday. Not only do I have to get up early and start the week, but I'm gonna, you know, I'm gonna be recovering from the weekend. And I don't mean because I'm outraging partying like some you know, wild man, It's just I don't get up at three o'clock in the morning on the weekends. Therefore, it's it's a it's a quick return to routine that mondays, you know, like anybody, regardless of what your routine is, a lot of people probably, you know, the Monday morning wake up maybe.
Speaker 3: The toughest wake up of the of the week for folks.
Speaker 1: I know I'm not alone there, but I'll eventually watch it and I'm sure I'll be fine, But yeah, last night I was too scared. All right, we got another traffic and weather update coming your way. Bobby Ellis will tell us how the roadways are looking here on a Monday morning. Also, we'll get an update to look at the forecast from at melosavit a w ok why And then it's got to be back with another sports update.
Speaker 3: So we've got you covered.
Speaker 1: And how could I forget to mention we're nine minutes away from another news update with John Shannon, So stick around right here on news radio eight forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is Kentucky Ana's morning news Coffee and company Nick Coffee with you here on news radio eight forty WHAS take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at wh as dot com. So John Alden is back with us, by the way, which I know, that's why you're here. He's the company man.
Speaker 3: He's back.
Speaker 1: We missed him and we're excited he's here. And this this is not something you can blame John for. But you're you're you're in the minority seemingly as far as having children.
Speaker 3: You are you're a new father.
Speaker 1: You've got a newborn baby. Which when is the newborn stage over? Because i've heard eight weeks. Okay, so she's passed, she's past that. But what is this? This is this just baby stage?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 3: It's certainly not toddler and I think baby goes up until they're a year old or something like that. I don't know.
Speaker 1: So you are, you're a new parent and people this day in or just not having kids the way that they used to. And there is a lot of factors that go into that, probably more than we even realize. But the US fertility rate falls to an all time low in twenty twenty four, So that number, again, i'd be curious if you just were to do a rapid fire man on the street kind of thing. You just walk up to somebody, Hey, the US fertility rate has fallen to an all time low.
Speaker 3: Why do you think that is?
Speaker 1: I wanted the first thing that would come to mind For a lot of people, I guess it probably depends on your situation, maybe your beliefs. Some would blame the economy, some would blame I mean again, I'm sure everybody has their own opinion. But we've seen a real drop in this over I guess, like really two decades down, yeah, I mean nearly two decades. This has been a trend as declining birth rates. It's been all age groups, by the way, twenty twenty four, the fertility rate is now at one point five nine nine children per women, which is well below the replacement rate of two point one So US fertility peaked in two thousand and seven, then steadily declined. There was a brief uptick in twenty twenty four, but it didn't reverse the trend of So again, I just again, are there are countless factors as to why there aren't as many kids being born today as there was ten years ago, twenty years ago, thirty years ago. But just take out, like I just think society take away. I mean, I just think now I got I got married at a young age. I feel like even for that time I got married in twenty and eleven, and that time I was just I was just about twenty two up, I think was how old I was at that time. I think that's I think that's right something around that age. And I felt like even then that was young to get me. But now I feel like that would be really rare to see two people twenty to twenty three getting married like my wife and I.
Speaker 3: You got married at twenty two back in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: You're an old soul and you had your first child at what twenty seven?
Speaker 3: Twenty seven? So did I? I was twenty seven s yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: So so you know, for me, I just it's not even about any specific factor that I just think you can just say, well this is why cost or you know. I mean, I'm trying to think of if I wouldn't ask somebody that I know, like, hey, why haven't you had kids yet?
Speaker 3: Like I know people that have tried to have children.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately they've just found out along the way that it's not going to be as easy for them, and there's a lot of things they have options to do, but in some of those things are just not doable depending upon cost and just maybe what would come with it, because you know, you can try a lot of options as far as using medical science to help you have a kid, but some of those things don't really guarantee that it actually is ever going to work, and that could be something that you just you sign up for potentially being heartbroken and devastated to go through that process. So I just I think a lot of people fresh out of college or just in that age range, I don't want to act like they're all like childish and immature and they're not ready to grow up yet. They just don't seem to be any real hurry to kind of just open that door of okay, well here we go, now, get married, probably start a family soon, and just kind of start that phase of my life.
Speaker 3: And good.
Speaker 1: More people do whatever the hell they want. I mean, it doesn't impact me by any means. But when I hear that money is a factor and just how expensive everything is right now in the economy and where it is, and man, I can tell you certainly that childcare is very expensive. Maybe this is just me and my own world. But I personally, when we had both our kids, we were trying and I've got a lot of friends. In fact, our social get together is with our friends is really just all of our kids getting together. I mean, and I'm very lucky that the vast majority of the friends that I grew up with, people that I've known for over thirty years, still close with a lot of them, and our friends O our kids are around the same age and their friends. But I don't ever remember any of us ever thinking we were gonna have another kid, but we decided to wait because of how expensive things are. And that's not to act like it's not a real issue.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: But I think when you decide to be a parent for the first time or the second or third time, I just you need to be responsible and know if you can afford to take care of a human being or not. I don't act likely it doesn't matter at all. But that's never been like if we're deciding, hey, should we have another should we try now?
Speaker 3: I just I just have never thought, Okay, well, what's the price going to be? How much is it going to cost me to be a dad?
Speaker 1: And I hate that I'm sounding like I'm mocking it, because I guess technically I am, and people should be more responsible. I'm sure there's many people that should not have brought children into the world, and they did. In fact, I know that to be the case, but I don't know. Just the monetary aspect of it is just something and I've never once thought about, because you know, maybe this just speaks to me not realizing how fortunate I am. But there's no cost, Like whatever I got to do for my kid, I got to do for my kid. If it puts me in a million dollars a debt or whatever it may be, that's just life, and that would be that would not be something that I would that I would want to do by any means, But it wouldn't even be a decision. It would just be done, because that's that's being a parent. But anyways, nobody's having nobody's having kids anymore. People still having sex though, that's that's for sure. Sex not down, but children not happening as much. All right, let's get to an update of the traffic in the weather. We'll keep this thing rolling along. It is Kentucky and this Morning News Coffee and Company Nick Coffee with you here on News Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 3: So we've talked.
Speaker 1: About the Happy Gilmore sequel that was released on to Netflix on Friday.
Speaker 3: I've yet to watch it.
Speaker 1: But when it comes to movies that decided to run it back for a sequel or do some version of just a remake, there have been many that were not necessary, and there have been some that were viewed as I guess the success and success can be determined differently.
Speaker 3: If if you hated it.
Speaker 1: But yet those who put it together made billions at the box office, then that's the success to them. But when I think of movie like Bad Boys Too with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. The original came out in nineteen ninety five, Bad Boys two came out and maybe ten years later, and I remember thinking, Okay, this one was like you could have not given me the first one, And if this was just the only one it was a standalone, I would have said it was great, and not that the first one was bad. But when it comes to sci fi and action, I think you've got many that are competing with the original, or some would say maybe even better, like The Dark Knight, that of course was a big hit, that was a sequel to Batman begins. Terminator two. That's a little before my time, but that was viewed to be the one that really elevated the brand Terminator. But when it comes to comedy, I kind of feel like it's harder to do. But here are some examples of remakes and comedy that did not do well. The Hangover Part two and Part three. They kind of tried the same thing and it was popular to an extent, but nowhere near the original. And I will say this, I think the second and the third are worth watching. They're fine, but I will say just my opinion only it does keep me from realizing how good the first one was. The first one didn't get worse because they made the second and the third. But sometimes less is more, and I think that's it. Really That to me is a good example of that. And then this one, I got to be honest, I didn't finish it because just because it didn't hook me. It was an interesting it just didn't do it for me. It was Anchorman two. Anchorman the original a classic and really stupid but really stupid kid be funny, but that one just didn't do it for me. Like for example, Step Brothers. Really stupid movie, but really funny. Maybe that's where it just gets out. Maybe that's hard to create in general. Therefore, recreating it and expecting it to stick is one that you know, it just makes it difficult. Like Zoolander two, Dumb and Dumber two coming to America. Those are those were nostalgic ones, but they just they couldn't come close to competing. And I guess that's probably what's going to be said about Happy Gilmore when it's all said and done. Not one that was needed, but a nice nice shot of nostalgia for those that are really appreciated, because of course that was a really popular movie for a lot of people. All right, let's do this. We'll get another update of Travick and Weather coming your way. Another sports update on the way as well, as we are just nine minutes away from eight o'clock here at News Rady eight forty whas