Speaker 1: We're Tomy Lorenzo and this is the Bitter Kitten Movie Club. Hellicit's welcome back to another edition of the b k MC, a supplemental edition of the PSO podcast where we take a look at one film per week and give it the t low treatment. This week's film is Dolomite Is My Name, and this is the first time I haven't screwed up the intro. So yay me, we are officially a podcast because I can get through the intro without screwing it up. Okay, So, this week's film is Dolomite Is My Name, by director directed by Craig Burwer, starring Eddie Murphy as the semi legendary Rudy Ray Moore, also starring d I enjoy, Randolph Keaty and Michael Kay, Wesley Snipes and just an a list collection of black actor and honestly, we had so much fun watching this. Now. I have seen this film when it first came out, and in fact, we had a it's still floating out in the world. I don't know what's going to happen with it, but we had a movie costume book proposal where we picked a bunch of movie costumes to talk about, and one of them was the lattice work pink suit that Eddie Murphy wears by costume designer Ruthie Corder. I'm going to get into all of that, but my point is that this movie's actually been on my radar for a long time. We loved it when we watched it the first time in twenty nineteen. I have written stuff that you haven't seen about the costume design, and yet I came away with something new, and that is what I want to talk about in this podcast. We're gonna talk about all of it.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: So Dolomite is not Let's start with this. Dolomite is My name is Joyous, right, I mean, that's such a feel good movie.
Speaker 2: It's as you said, we watched it back in twenty nineteen, and I when we sat last night to watch it, I could. I was like, I know what it is, right, I don't remember everything, but and I forgot how funny? How I mean funny.
Speaker 1: Eddie Murphy is so good at this.
Speaker 2: He's bigger than I mean, he's just insane. He explodes.
Speaker 1: It's just the role of a lifetime form. Yes, and it is honestly so tragic that he did not get nominated for her Now, I can't believe that was an Oscar winning performance. It was like the ultimate Eddie Murphy performance and just the like I said, feel good, like at the end of the movie, how can you not feel good at the movie? It's like the highest number of motherfuckers you lover hear in any two hour movie, and yet it's just so joyous. So we both this morning came to a different came to the same conclusion for different reasons. One is, I'll start off just start off saying what you noticed.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing. I completely forgot who was in the movie aside from him. So Divine is there, and I'm like, oh my god, and she's amazing. From from scene one, yes, she's amazing, absolutely amazing. I kept watching her the whole time, her character especially.
Speaker 1: And they had a pseudo romantic but not relationship.
Speaker 2: As I said, I forgot about the movie and I didn't know all the details, like all right, he's gonna end up, you know, having a relationship with her, and nothing happens, andthing happened, and then when he gets to the sex scene that they're shooting.
Speaker 1: The movie, and he's clearly uncomfortable and she's.
Speaker 2: So supportive, you know, She's like, no, we'll figure this out. We're gonna do I was like, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I just don't say what I can't. So I'm watching it last night and like the film. It's one of the great things about this film is that it pays the man so much respect while also acknowledging like, yeah, of course he was a hustler and a clown and these were not high quality films that he was making, but they gave him his due as the godfather of rap, which is something most people probably don't know. And they spent time showing how he literally took African American oral storytelling traditions and codified them and turned them into a form of entertainment. And all I could think through those scenes was all the research I had done we had done when we were writing Legendary Children, which was a book. If you haven't bought it, you really should buy it. It'll be great for pride months for your pride reading. Anyway. It's an examination of gender non conforming queer artists and mostly drag queens, and how queer art has been and the history of art and how it has been created and all everything that he was doing in those scenes, I was like, Wow, this is so queerer, and I remember feeling a little guilty and thinking to myself, I really can't make that connection because, you know, in the podcast, are in the write up, because as a gay white man, I don't want to claim kinship with what is clearly a black cultural tradition. But I kept thinking about how what he was doing was exactly what queer artists doing. And I kept thinking about, you know, the cultural tradition that he was codifying was called the dozens, which is where you do these one up stories with it that rhyme and tend to insult one another. You know, people go and it's it's the precursor to things like rap battles. But it is also clearly a cousin to shade and reading. And when we wrote Legendary Children, we did say that shade and reading were strictly African American traditions that black queens took into gay, you know culture. So I'm thinking all this and I'm like, I don't know, I don't know if I want to make this connection as a white man, because I might be overstepping my bounds. So I get up this morning and I'm doing some research and it turns out he was probably gay, Rudy, they say, yeah, and well, frankly, when someone says that about someone, and I don't mean when someone identifies BY, but when someone says that about someone, they're just saying they're basically covering, but they probably have no connection with ever seeing them date women.
Speaker 2: The feeling I get when someone says stuff like that is that about another person, about another person specifically, my feeling is always like, Okay, the person is gay, but I'm letting that person.
Speaker 1: I'm not giving them a backdoor.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also it's not my place exactly, especially people Rudymore's direction. I am not and we are not suggesting that people who identify as BY are not really By. That's not what I'm saying. We're saying it's that people often misidentify gay people by because they don't want to call him gay. Anyway, I was shocked by that, because I wasn't shocked by it. Anybody can be gay. I've been around long enough to know you don't have to fit a stereotype. Of course, Rudy rymwore. And if you look at some of the costumes that guy wore, especially later, extremely flamboyant, like Elton John level of flammable.
Speaker 2: Also, he's frying at the store played by Titus you know, he's gay. So interesting because the movie really dances around the gayness. At one point, titus burg guest makes this so comment about sucking dick in prison. Yea, and Eddie just sort of waves off the comment in a way that he didn't seem. Let me put a to you this way.
Speaker 1: The film is very I have to give a credit clever about if you know where to look, it's there, if you really know where to look. Now, as two gay men who are culturally tuned into queerness, we picked up on it, but even we were like, we didn't think it was. I did not finish the movie thinking that that guy was gay. And I can't tell if I think that's a failing of the film or not, because here's how I feel. Do you remember that, right, of course you do. That Ryan Murphy miniseries Hollywood, and part of it was we've talked about this.
Speaker 2: Before, based on a book and some of it, Yeah.
Speaker 1: But part of the miniseries had a fictionalized Rock Hudson who took his black boyfriend to the Oscars. You know, it was a totally fictionalized version of his life. These things could have never happened back then. And I remember getting into a tussle with another queer culture writer on Twitter at the time because I said, I found the whole thing offensive to Rock Hudson's memory, And he said, don't you think Rock Hudson would have wanted to be able to do that? And I said, honestly, no, I don't know that Rock Hudson, someone born in like nineteen twenty, whatever year he was born in, as a queer man, I'm not sure him someone of that generation, would have had that dream to take his boyfriend to the Oscars. And I'm not sure rud Ray Moore would have wanted his story to be that's the story of a gay man.
Speaker 2: The problem that I have with that that type of far and thank yeah, no, I mean the guy on Twitter is that you are reinterpreting history. You're you're presenting a history that never happened, and at the same time.
Speaker 1: You act like you're doing that person a service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you hiding what really happened, and that.
Speaker 1: His struggle was his life. So the fact that he couldn't do those things.
Speaker 2: So if you're a young person today, a queer person today, and if that's what you watch, you don't really know what really happened, because you know, we tend to not no history at all.
Speaker 1: It's like the bridgetonization of fictionalized history. And I'm not I mean everyone, I think everyone looks at Bridge gen it's the fantasy that it is, but it is. You know, this is not what history was like. This is not what it looked like, right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, it's complicated. It's the same thing going on Blue Peter and Jonger right now.
Speaker 1: You know with the Odyssey exactly, well, that's not history, that's myth. You can cast anybody in those things like that's just silly right wing shit, I know exactly.
Speaker 2: So it's complicated.
Speaker 1: But when it comes I remember when Little Richard died and we did write a piece about him under our legendary tag which was basically for queer Figures, and tried to pay homage to the fact that he was a clearly gay black man and it informed his artistry, Like you can't look at some of his work and not see the queerness in it. But at the same token, he was till the day he died. He I mean, he flirted with coming out a few times, but for the most part, he was not of a generation that wanted to make that part of his life public and did not want his work to be classified that way. And I do feel with queer artists, especially when you're talking about like people from marginalized communities, like black artists from fifty years ago, sixty seventy, eighty years ago. It was the same thing with Gladys Bentley. I cried telling those stories on our book tour. Gladys Bentley was a non gender conforming female present you know, assigned female at birth, but she wore the I'm going to use female pronouns because she did her whole life. And this goes to my point of you need to respect where people were in their lives. Yes, and Gladys Bentley wore tuxedos and openly dated women and sang raunchy songs in Harlem about you know, eating out women and stuff like that. And in the nineteen fifties she found Jesus and started wearing dresses and married a man and spoke out against all her sinful ways. And we wanted to include that story, and it was very important to me in the telling of her story to say it's it's easy for us to say how sad for her, how tragic for her, and I'm not suggesting it wasn't. But at the same time, we need to pay respect to who she was and where she was. Who am I to claim that a mid century lesbian black woman or non gender conforming black woman made the wrong choices? Who am I to sit in all my priv So I feel that way about Rudy ray Moore, and and I do in a lot of ways. I respect what the film has done because they really do give it all to you without taking you right up to it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not even the sex scene for the movie. In the movie, it's pretty much lady read lines when she says, you know, like when she says, you know, thank you for making thank me for putting me in your movie. And you know, I've never seen myself like that, that kind of conversation that a queer guy would have with a woman.
Speaker 1: It's so true. Yeah, But the thing is, Eddie Murphy's been charged with homophobia a lot in his career, and I'm not here to unpack that. I'm not sure if I have the knowledge to unpack it. But I do get the general sense that he is not a guy who wants to play gay on camera. Yeah, probably that was a big part of it too. I don't think that's something he wants to do, and whatever, you know. I mean, I do come from a generation that tends to criticize that sort of thing, but actors are allowed to make their own choices. Like I said, I I picked up on the subtle queerness of it, and and I do think they were rather clever about it. And in a way, I think telling his story in that way is respectful to him. That's what I'm trying to get across. It is how he would have wanted that story told. He would not have wanted scenes of him having sex with men as part of his biography. Probably just not it. And you know that's I don't know. I don't have a problem with that. Moving on from that, the other thing I wanted to talk about, Actually, we should probably take a short break. Why don't we take a short break, and when I come back, I want to talk about the other connection that I felt the movie depicted to our book, Legendary Children. We'll be right back we're back talking about Dolamight is my name, and I, as I said, I wanted to make another connection to our book, but it is not a connection to queerness, but it's just a similarity. And it's when we wrote Legendary Children. One of the things we came away from our in our newfound understanding of cultural history is how much of history is just about people on the margins or in the underground doing what they need to do, turning their patch of dirt into a garden, creating something that is queer culture, but that is also one hundred percent African American culture. That is exactly and you know the beauty of African American well, I mean, it depends on how you want to look at it, but they created American culture essentially a Black Americans created the music, created the humor, created the language that we that we use today. And I love the scenes of Rudy and his little troop basically creating this new form of entertainment and going around to small clubs or going around to house parties and you know, recording records at house parties and with no more than twenty or thirty people in them and all makeshift curtain hanging up. But that's history to me, that is culture. To me, that is those people create culture. And I love when a story gives someone like that, gives scenes like that a place where we can because I mean, I'm some white guy. I'm not going to get invited to a black house party in nineteen seventies, so you know, I get to see that.
Speaker 2: I think the most beautiful part about the movie, I think is showing black culture, black history, the struggle, pure love, pure love, things you created to survive, to entertain yourself, you know. And and the fact that Rudy ray Moore, you can tell he never takes a no, never takes because he understands that's all he's given, knows and and he has to do something to get what he wants and he gets there. I also love the fact that he's not delusion about the movie. He knows the movie is not a great movie, but it's the movie that people want. And I think that's such a great message because I think we're in terms of culture in general, we're so focused on what's going to please everybody, what's good, the mass culture, the mass culture, the critics and all that. And if we and if weget that sometimes you make something to entertain people a certain segment of the population.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's that's the kind of culture. That's where I feel the connection to queer cultural It is about people who are like, I'm making this for my people. There's a line where a white movie executive says, you're just going to make you're going to play this movie for in the same five blocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have the quote here he says. He said, he says, you're not supposed to make a movie for the five square blocks of people, you know, And then he says, well, that's fine with me, because every city in America got those same five blocks, and those folks is going to love it.
Speaker 1: That is it right there. It's it's it's looking at your local community and identifying it as part of a larger connection of communities who have a similar culture.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: And I just love, love love stories like that. I love when you give people like that a spotlight and elevate them and say look in their time, because we're reread to read more died penniless in their time. These people were not elevated, but we can look back at them now and see the good that they were doing for their community for their culture.
Speaker 2: He made he made millions.
Speaker 1: Right, No, I mean he died penniless, I read.
Speaker 2: I don't know. But he made a lot of money with the first movie.
Speaker 1: No, No, he had terrible business sense. I mean that's pretty clear anyway.
Speaker 2: But they made they made seven more movies. I think.
Speaker 1: I know the movies made money, but I don't know what that's going to be actually made all that.
Speaker 2: But the scene in the limbo, I love this. That's we're in the car and filmmaking and it's just gorgeous because they're reading all these reviews and that they're getting they're trash in the movie, and they're getting upset. But then they see all the crowd outside cheering, And to me, that's more important than anything else, is the fact that you created something that made someone Helpy happy. And I say that kind of like, you know, I get a little emotion because it's the same thing, the same way when we're we do what we do with our site, with our blog, and we feel like, yeah, whatever, and then we get an email from somebody saying that you know, I love your site, that you know your site has helped me blah blah blah. I just love these things because you forget who's out there, you do. You forget who's out there, who's reading you, who's listening to you, and.
Speaker 1: You other periods where you wonder if people care.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly so. So that scene when they get out of the limo and they see all the crowd, Yeah, they see the crowd and they see all the people screaming and all that, and it's just beautiful. It's absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's, like I said, total feel good movie. I know, I think it did okay, I know critically it did well, but it really should be agree more of a classic than it is. It's just the perfose now, I mean, all right, if we want to do some critical stuff here. The entire structure of the film is a cliche. About is a show business cliche. It's just all dressed up in like sixty seventies ghetto Chitlin circuit style, but it hits every beat of all you know, club owners saying don't you do that on my stage? And then suddenly the crowd turns and it's a big hit. And then there's a montage where they just you know, all of that is there all and it's you know, emotionally It hits every single beat of those kind of biopics where he he stands up and he's like, I don't care what everybody else says. I'm going to do this where I'm an artist, blah blah blah. None of that's new. But I don't really see that as a draw back because it's dressed up and stuff in a black exploitation setting that gives it a nuance and gives it a feeling and gives it a joy that it might not otherwise have had.
Speaker 2: Oh what I love about it is that it shows that these people are not naive. They know exactly what's going on with the life.
Speaker 1: Of course, they're not business savvy, but they know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: They're knowing what they're doing. They're know that they're being exploited in a way, but they want to move on with whatever they have in mind. You know, they what they want to do.
Speaker 1: And I think that's what they have a need to tell their stories.
Speaker 2: They have a need to tell the story and to do what. You know, he started with the records and then decided to make movies. And I actually went on YouTube and you can watch the movie.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you can watch the movie it's not going to send some links to any review that we do.
Speaker 2: So over the top, it's ridiculed.
Speaker 1: He was a real clown and a real hustler. And I just want to briefly touch on Ruthie Carter's costume design. We're gonna have more of that's going to be in the post that we accompanyed with this podcast, because we can use pictures and stuff. But I just want to point out that I think, you know Ruthy Carter. She has done She did Sinners last year, She's done both Black Panther movies, she did Baps's. She is just an icon and a legend, especially with these major, major black films. I think this is her best work. To be quite honest, I think this exceeds Black Panther. And the reason I think that is because I am very much of the opinion that costume design is not simply about massive ball gowns, period pieces and superhero costumes, because that is what people think of when they think of costume design, and of course those are the showiest examples, those are the most elaborate examples, and they deserve. You know, her work in Black Panther. I'm pretty sure she won the Oscar for it. But what I love about Dolomite is how much love and respect are in those costumes because she I mean, if you see Rudi ray Moore back then, the costumes were flamboyant and typical of pimpware of that period. They were cheap, I mean, they were not expensively made, and she really threaded this needle, no pun intended where she sourced polyester fabrics from the seventies, from the sixties and the seventies. She wasn't using couture fabrics. But the pieces are impeccable. Everything is accurate. She just slightly elevated it to give him and the other characters dignity.
Speaker 2: Everything is gorgeous.
Speaker 1: It would be so easy to make jokes those outfits, to have to just like, look at this ridiculous pimp wear that he's wearing. But the outfits are actually gorgeous. They are beautifully fitted, beautiful, beautifully instructed. And I think that goes hand in hand with the whole film's approach to Rudy ray Moore, which is to sort of elevate him to this mythic status that he did not actually have while he was alive. And they did the same thing with the costumes, where it's like, Okay, he wasn't wearing coature, but he deserves to be wearing it in this story, so we're going to give him cauture.
Speaker 2: Right. Eddie apparently had seventy five costumes, and she said that every single one, hats, everything was built from you know, scratch, because she works.
Speaker 1: She builds the ground up.
Speaker 2: And she said because it was hard. It also was hard to find vintage Striker. Right.
Speaker 1: That stuff does not survive.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't, it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Those clothes were cheaply made back then. True they were. They were very cheaply made. And that's what I love about the clothses Stylistically, they are absolutely accurate, but they actually look expensive on screen. All right? Do you have anything else you want to add? Much more to say in the review that accompanies this little pot all right?
Speaker 2: I mean, aside from the strong language that might you know, trigger you.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, there's like ten motherfuckers in the first.
Speaker 2: That's a lot more than that, yeah, in the jokes, but aside from that. I when we were done watching the movie, I was so happy, which still to say good, but I was just like please and happy that I watched it. I was like, this is so wonderful. Yeah, just great.
Speaker 1: More people need to see this. It is just fun and uplifting and just a great, you know, sort of rags to not exactly riches but pseudo rags to riches story. All right, we will be back next week with a regular podcast and also another b KMC where we are looking at Nicole Kimmins to die for, which I love. The spoiler I probably shouldn't. I shouldn't admit this. I've never seen that.
Speaker 2: What I know, Oh my god, it's one of the best.
Speaker 1: I know, it's kind of embarrassing. Oh she's great, I know, I know. All right, we'll be back next week. Until then, take care of yourself. Let you mean it.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye