Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray. I'm telling you easy Boston's news video.
Speaker 2: Oh I can hear the skin crackling. Now off that bird. Welcome back everybody. Night's that Gary Tangway for Dan Ray. Andy Gresh is with us. And when I told our producer in our program director Gresh Monster, that you were coming on, they said, what talk football? I go, No food, food, baby, It's one of two.
Speaker 3: It's the only two things that it could be.
Speaker 2: So Thanksgiving obviously, this is Thanksgiving week and I did a podcast today with the Great Bob Ryan. It is wonderful wife and Lane is always in the background and the Ryans have like I don't know, like thirty people coming in their house or something. And I go, so, when are you picking up the food? What do you mean picking up the food? I go, you can't your whole foods right? Sunbury Farms wrote brother something. Oh no, she's cooking the whole thing. I'm like, are you out of your mind?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 2: That's where I'm at, Like at the Tangwa houses, Like I'm going down the whole foods. I got to pick it up on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Well, I gotta tell you, I'm kind of doing everything from scratch this year, including like a smaller bird with kind of like extra turkey breast. You know, you can get just like a turkey breast the cavity. So I got I got that to kind of make it happen this year. Mas. Potatoes are easy, Listen. I get the convenience of the whole Foods thing. We've done that the past couple of years for various reasons. However, there is no excuse to not make homemade mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: You mean the fact that I went down and I ordered an extra batch today of sweet potatoes. That's an American Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: Again, it's the simplest of things. You peel it, you boil it, you put like whole milk in it, so it's good and butter and there you go.
Speaker 2: Don't you need some egg? What about marshmallows?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, I'm talking about mashed potato potatoes. Yeah, yeah, sweet Listen, people can have their sweet potatoes. However, on Thanksgiving that's kind of cammy in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, you're telling me you don't think sweet potatoes are American on Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: I gary, it gets in the way. How many let me ask you something. How many times have you like, how many times have you had I'm trying to remember the name of like the pie with the mashed potatoes and the stuff like that. I'm drawing a plank. Have you ever wanted that with sweet potatoes inside of it? Isn't it?
Speaker 2: Isn't that just called sweet potato pie?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, it isn't. But I'm talking about like a chicken pot pie right right, right, right right, potatoes in chicken pot pie. You know what I mean? No, I just think it kind of gets in the way. I get it for those people who want it, but for me, just like I'm picky. I'll tell you what I'll.
Speaker 2: Eat, dude, I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: I mean the only in the bird will I eat the stuffing. I don't eat dressing. I eat stuffing. There's a big difference.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna get to in a minute. And I have to say this, like where you've been with with Wait, you've been, You've done great. How are you doing right now?
Speaker 3: I'm hanging in there, Okay, all right?
Speaker 2: So for a big dude, for a big dude, and when we worked covering the Patriots, yep, you are the biggest person and the pickiest eater your eater I've ever met.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly, it's been that way since I was a kid. My little nephew's the same way. My little nephew, Hudson. Okay, well he's not so little anymore. It's like thirteen years old, but he wants to bring pizza roles to put in the air fire because he doesn't like turkey stuffing and all that kind of stuff. He's like me, I was picky as all kid out. How are the traditional stuff again? Turkey stuffing mesh cad Oh, stuffing is in the bird. Dressing is what you have on the side and you have it in like the cast or all dish, and you put that in the oven. It doesn't get the extra layer of labor that we'll think about it, right, it's a huge difference. You're cooking all that delicious stuffing inside the cavity. Like when people will cook a chicken or a bird, sometimes they'll put a bunch of stuff inside the cavity. They don't need to. Even if you fry a turkey, you can't put the stuffing in there. But it's the age. It kind of mets a mets it's kind of hit or miss. It's not as consistent as like frying the bird. But yeah, think about it. I'll tell you what I'll think. We'll see you're not cooking anything for real, So I can't even do this with you. But for people who are like human beings and cook their own food, but have the dressing on the side and cook that and then have it coming out of the bird, and I'm telling you it's not even close, you'll want to make an extra bird just to be able to make extra instead of dressing.
Speaker 2: No, I could see that. The great late Bertha tangwe always had stuffing in the bird. Oh, I mean she would, as I was saying, she would cook with a double boiler.
Speaker 3: My friend, what a cherub too. I bet she had the can of baking grease right on the back of the stove.
Speaker 2: She totally did. Oh my god, Gresh, were you in my kitchen.
Speaker 3: Because the mag gress my grandmother had the same thing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, we'd put that's where they put the fat. And then there's no doubt. And then when it came to cranberry, it was none of this, you know. It was the slice cranberry, slice cranberry. It wasn't the actual of cranberries, but the slice cranberry, and.
Speaker 3: I'm out on cranberry. I don't like it. But if I don't have it for my wife, Betty, I'm dead. So I have to make sure that the right kind slice it and all that crap.
Speaker 2: So what's the biggest bird you ever cooked?
Speaker 3: Oh? Probably I've was sailing an eighteen pounder in a frying one. I did one with my brother, wants to do one with my pap. That's where I kind of learned it and stuff like that. But I know that we're going to talk about the fried turkey. Right. Have you tasted fried turkey tank?
Speaker 2: You know I have not, but you and Zoe swear by it.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's the thing. There was one year in my family when we were at peak fatness, all of us across the board, right, and we decided to do like a turkey case test challenge. One year, my brother fry the turkey, my mom baked one, and then I made one in do you remember the Ron Pop Peel Showtime Rotistry?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, I made mine in the Showtime Rotistry to prove them that it could be done and be just as good. Now. Ultimately, fried turkey wins out because anytime you have that fried turkey wins out, it's just that delicious as that moist and you can, you know, you can layer it with different kind of seizing under the skin and it's just, oh my god, it's fantastic. But we did that. We did that one year. I came in second. My mother was hot for like a whole year that her turkey didn't win. But like, sorry, that Showtime rochesstery barbecue thing there, that was the best like kitchen gimmick I've ever bought in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could see your mom. I remember meeting her at the cbscne once on Thanksgiving. I can definitely see her being a little.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's right. Oh my god, talk about a story, right, So it's what Patriots at the Lions, right, and we were all we were all at CBS scene and like the whole Tangway I mean there were a fifty Tangway clan people in there for crying out loud. And then you know I had oh yeah, freaking rednecks, right, and then we throw my in laws in there to be a little classy. And then you know, Nelson, because he didn't have anything else to do that day or whatever. And oh my god, we all had thanks Giving dinner at the CBSC, and I have to say the food was actually kind of good, which was rare for that play. Well.
Speaker 2: Just my brother in law, Brian Dank, when he ordered the nachos, he was psyched. H Listen, how do you how do you how do you put the seasoning under the skin? Do you do that with a needle?
Speaker 3: No? So what you do is that would be like say, if you were to put butter right in the meat or the muscle of the turkey.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So here's what you do. You gotta go slow, so you know where you would pull like the giblets out or whatever. You can kind of run your finger right where the skin sort of meets the breast and you can just sort of work your hand underneath. And if you're a little uneasy about it, you know what you can do is like a wooden spoon, Well you can flip it over on the handle end and use that to kind of put just sort of move and separate the skin away from the meat. And then when you can get your hand under there, you literally take like you know, if you make like a stick of flavored butter or something.
Speaker 5: Just shmear that all over your hand, stick your hand in there and rub it all over right on the meat. And then that way, whenever you fry it or bake it or whatever, it's not going on the skin. You can still maybe cover that you're baking it with like a piece of foil or whatever. But you put that delicious buttery goodness right on there and it goes right into the meat as it's cooking.
Speaker 2: Nobody says buttery goodness like Andy Gresch. Details on how to fry a turkey coming up next. This is Nightside on WBZ.
Speaker 1: Well back to Dan Ray line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, getting ready for Thanksgiving, Gary tanglea here for Dan Ray And you know, if I'm talking football, Andy Gresh is talking food right here on wbz's night set. All right, Gretch, take me through how do you deep fry or how do you fry a turkey?
Speaker 3: Well, you need one of the bigger kind of fry drum slash barrels, right, so it normally comes whether yeah, you go like a BJ's or something like that. You can go get like your fry later, kid, it'll be it'll be like a bigger pot, and it'll have the stand where you be able to set it on, and you'll you'll have it'll connect like a grill, So like the pro paint tank you would have on a grill, that's what you would connect it to. Put it in an area where it ain't going to catch your house on fire. You and I know a spastic former NFL quarterback who has focus issues who used to do his fry later right in his garage with the doors open because he would throw onion rings and stuff like that in there for us to eat for him to eat in the morning. So you really shouldn't do it in your garage. You do it in your driveway, totally fine. Here's the trick, Gary, is that depending on how big your turkey is, you got to figure out how much sort of liquid and how much oil you need once you can turn the heat on. Right, So the day before with your bird, like before you brind it, you fill your you fill your pot up with a certain amount of water. Then you set the bird in there and see how high the water needs to go, and you can kind of just accordingly take like a black little marker mark it on the inside, so you know how high your oil has to go, because if you put in too much oil, it's gonna boil over. It's gonna turn into a big fire. So you gotta be careful about that. Put the bird on an appropriate rack. There's like a little coat hangar thing that you can hang up in the rear end of the bird. When the metal piece sticks through, set it down in there. You should use barbecue gloves that way you don't burn your hand like an idiot or end up like Jason Pierre Paul burning a finger off crazy like that. Yeah, and then it cooks way quicker. I forget the minutes per pound. I want to say, it's like three. You're gonna cook. You're gonna cook these things pretty quickly, really, so yeah, oh yeah, oh you know what. It definitely cooks faster. I would say, I think I've done like an eighteen pound bird in like an hour or something like that. Yeah, no way, yeah, yeah, whereas it would be an hour and a half two hours of your cooking it in the oven. Yeah. I don't know the exact don't hold me to that, but I definitely know the frying time on a bird is shorter than it is. You're throwing at the number.
Speaker 2: Well, how do you let me ask you this? How do you make sure that you don't burn on the outside and make sure the inside gets cooked? That's what I don't get.
Speaker 3: It ends up cooking all the way through and evenly as long as your temperature is right. And you know some people burn hotter size. I normally hang around three. The three fifty three seventy five range, I think is about the way you want to go. I normally do three p fifty and then you kind of calculated per pound is really what it is? And no, it makes the outside nice and golden. I'll tell you what. If you put a bird in an oven right and after an hour you don't take a piece of foil and cover the breast, you have a better chance. I think I've screwed up more like turkeys in an oven, where I've made the top of the breast too crunchy because i didn't cover it with foil after an hour, than ever being a part of one that was fried and seeing it come out yucky.
Speaker 2: Hmm. So you would definitely go with but is it? You would definitely go with the fried over the traditional throw it in the oven.
Speaker 3: But yeahs yeah, because you do have to go, you do have to buy the setup. You do have to go get pro pain. But you also can't do it on you know, the deck of an apartment building. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: You know we've heard of like idiot patriot players of the past. You have the pro paint grill, but score the lighter fluid on it and all that kind of stuff. But no, you got to be smart about it if you're going to do this, because there there is a fire hazard. And here's the thing I would say, it sounds really cool to do, but if you're nervous about it and you haven't researched it, then don't do it. Wait a year and get it right. Hell, you could do one for Christmas for crying out loud. I mean the turkey. You can have turkey around. It's just synonymous with Thanksgiving, which is really the bad people Christmas.
Speaker 2: We have a call Andy, let's talk to John and Boston. John you're on with Andy gresh yea Hi, good Evening's.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to ask and suggest that maybe frying any food and beefat beef tallow would taste better because restaurants today McDonald's and so called the burryting they all stopped doing that years ago, and even Unlucky fried chickens they call it doesn't taste as good as it once did. But I would suggest, but I wonder what you're comment on that is, because I think it does taste better. I haven't found a restaurant that's what I like to find. It does be fat lid instead of vegetable oil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to me, that's kind of a that's kind of common sense that it would taste really good. That's a lot of beef tallow though, that would be to me, it would day would kind of overpower it a little bit. But yeah, if you're doing like even like roasted potatoes or something like that, so you can throw a little bit of beef callo in there and let that kind of melt down and then slide them into the end of the you oven or under a broiler. Oh yeah, delicious, All right, John, anything else, Buddy.
Speaker 4: Well, I just wanted to ask your opinion because I wish restaurants would do that, but I haven't found a good restaurant. I would pay extra for the quality of the case if they did that, but I haven't found any. If you know any, let me know on the air well.
Speaker 2: If Gresh opens one up, we'll let you know. Thanks, John, We appreciate, thank you, all right, take care, all right, Gresh. As far again, as far as the danger, let's just get that across one more time.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it's very real. If you're nervous about it, don't do it. If you don't have the space to do it, don't do it. Don't do it inside, God almighty, don't do it inside, even in like your open garage or anything like that. Don't do it, because it only takes one miscalculation of your oil with your turkey going in and something bubbling over, and then you got a roll problem.
Speaker 2: Gresh, let me run down some recipes for you. Oh, so some alternative dishes for Thanksgiving and get your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Oh, dear lord, if you tell me avocado, I'm just gonna hang out.
Speaker 2: That's not on the list, all right, thank god.
Speaker 3: Because it feels like it feels like avocados are being shoved on us by society.
Speaker 2: Oh, avocados. And the other one is kale.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And you know what, man, you either you either dig it or you don't. To me. There's no one who's like, oh, I kind of like kale. Sometimes you dig the bitterer or you don't.
Speaker 2: You know, kaylas like eating sandpaper.
Speaker 3: I can't do it.
Speaker 2: How about this creamy kale and yaki bake. Nope, here's another one. This one I don't understand. Have you ever had pumpkin lasagna?
Speaker 3: I've heard of it, but no, I don't like sandal lasagna. Different kind of cheese.
Speaker 2: See, that's another thing. I would think you would love lasagna.
Speaker 1: No, you know what it is?
Speaker 3: Whatever that creamy, spready looking cheese that they put on there, I can't. I'm not. I like mozzarella cheese. And that's about it.
Speaker 2: That's all that's gonna happen, all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the other stink.
Speaker 2: Can anything that is not any Can anything that is non animal be a steak?
Speaker 3: Oh? Any wait, the tofood community's gonna come after.
Speaker 2: You, but squash steaks, that's just okay. No, no, no, I'm gonna take a stand. If it doesn't move, If it doesn't move, it's not a steak. Okay, if it does, That's what I'm telling you right now.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow morning at nine o'clock, wbz's very Tegway gone after by Big butternut Squash after controversial comments last night.
Speaker 2: Believe me, it's the holiday week they need me. Is an amazing question. Sometimes, you know, as they drive in here filling in for Dan Ray, I always think, you know, this is how I started. Life goes full circle anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I'm about to do that Thanksgiving night.
Speaker 2: Cauliflower mushroom sauce.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's another one. Cauliflower. Like when people say you can replace pizza crust or cauliflower cross, you can't. I don't.
Speaker 2: You can't. You can't.
Speaker 3: No, I don't have time for that.
Speaker 2: You can't. And then I will get deep fried cauliflower at a restaurant just to make myself feel better. But then I kind of go, what's the point?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 3: You know, what the point would be is that if you had that at about ten thirty after a seven o'clock or a four o'clock kick or whatever, and we were sitting beside each other, that cauliflower would be causing an old factory nightmare. That'd be my worry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would that would be barking. Wouldn't aggresh? Would here for Thanksgiving? Beef Wellington? That's not bad. I could swing that.
Speaker 3: No, that's the different relatively traditional holidays fare.
Speaker 2: Right, grapefruit and goat cheese, fedal salad? Nope, nope, nope, anything with gret the grapefruit. I don't get a vegan meat loaf at well you know, no, no, no, no, can you And here's another thing. You call it vegan, but you can't call anything vegan with the word meat in it.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean so it wouldn't that really be a pescatarian meat loaf that they had some sort.
Speaker 1: There we go that?
Speaker 3: Come on, you gotta give me credit that I knew pescatarian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got to look that up when we're done. Yeah, miso raised car brace carrots. Yes, no, I know, I'm joking. Oh, goof Korean fried chicken.
Speaker 4: Do that?
Speaker 3: I could do that. A little kimchi in there and you'll have some rear end lift off.
Speaker 2: There you go. So, Gresh, what is your ultimate give us the rundown on your menu? What will be on the Gresh table?
Speaker 3: Now, listen, I'm influenced by other people, So there's a difference between kind of everything that's gonna happen for all of us versus like say, my thoughts of what would be a perfect plate. However, here's the menu. I'm doing the turkey, I'm doing the stuffing. I have a crock pot pack that helps, but I'm gonna put as much in the bird as I can. The mashed potatoes I do garlic. Corn is just corn and a garlic butter. And those microwave bags of corn gary those things are actually life savers. In twenty minutes, I got four bags of corn. I got enough for everybody at dinner.
Speaker 2: What's the garlic? What's the corn thing? Again?
Speaker 3: So here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen like in the frozen section, like the steam fresh bags of co Yeah, those things are better than your standard like cans that you would get off the shelf.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: So you can go for those. You do four of those. They are five minutes each, and you take some butter and put some garlic in an extra butter. Whooh boy, it's really tough. It takes you, like, you know, a minute and a half of prep and then melting time. It's super easy, and you end up making like a garlic potter corn that people think you've like taken time over in your Michael Waven bags of corn. So it's a stupid hat. So we kind of have the standards there. My wife's skinner demand cranberry. She's making like a sweet potato something. She's making mac and cheese because mac and cheese is disgusting. Don't even get me started on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't where did that come from?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I agree with you, mac and cheese for a holiday dinner. I don't get it.
Speaker 3: Uh, I'm listen, I get it. I've been influenced by my best friends on that, so I have seen a little bit of the other side. I just can't do mac and cheese. You know. It is like when you make it for your kids and you're stirring it and you hear like the moisteness of it as you're stirring it. It freaks me out. My sister in law, though, demanded that she was making the desserts. She's gonna make brownies. However, Gary, you know, I'm a big fan of the Oreo. It's an Oreo. It's basically like an Oreo ice cream pie.
Speaker 2: Really ooh that's good. So no pumpkin pie.
Speaker 3: And my mother in law wants and she'll get it. My father in law has ice cream there and an abundance of it. He'll be thrilled the same with my brother and my nephew and stuff like that. But the brownies are to die for them. My mom's recipe she's as mayo and that's her happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, she puts mayo in what in brownies?
Speaker 3: When she makes the brownies?
Speaker 2: Right, you put mayonnaise in brownies.
Speaker 3: I think you've actually had my mom's brownies.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 3: They're unbelievable.
Speaker 2: They're they're I didn't realize that. I've never heard of that.
Speaker 3: Well, apparently it was like a trick going back to you know, the nineteen thirties or whatever.
Speaker 4: Your mom.
Speaker 3: I think Jesus Reitha taught her that, and my mom made these unbelievable brownies in for forty eight years of my life, I had no idea what the secret hack was. My sister in law caught her doing it at their house and was like, is that the secret ingredient? And she goes, yeah, you people become a genius. I'm just putting the woman to mayo with theres a substitute for something along the way. That's what makes those brownies unbelievable. So now my sister in law I kind of duplicate that and there you go. There's like the there there's the full menu. Tip the tail here, buddy.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Gresh, please hang on. I gotta get your opinions on some other things that will wrap it up for Andy Gresh, the the Master Chef Gresh with other thoughts coming up next here on WBZ.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, back here with the Gresh pots Andy Gresher Amy here on WBZ, Gary Tanguay in for Dan tonight. So, Gresh, I'm gonna span the globe with current events here, including the Patriots. What did you think about the presidential election?
Speaker 3: I thought it was a fascinating study in one side being completely disconnected with their message to the people who came out in record numbers four years earlier to support them. You know, when you really look at it, there were a lot of parts of the country where Donald Trump did better than he did before against Biden. Those numbers really weren't that dramatically different in I mean, a couple of places that did swing things, there's no question, But when you look at Harris not being able to get anybody out and not anywhere near the numbers that Biden did. I don't think the people voting for Trump changed all that much. I think it was much more reflective of an ineffective Democratic Party that are losing people left and right. The funniest joke I saw on the internet, Garry was I think it was like Bill Mahers talking about how certain extremes, you know, on the left are like, we're not going to have kids for four years, and the lady who was on the panel blurted out, well, we'll just outpopulate them and then the Republicans win forever. Kind of like a joke of some of the silliness that has gone on on that side of the aisle. But if they don't get it fixed, this is going to become a party problem, not a Donald Trump problem.
Speaker 2: Well, they'll get it fixed, because you're going to see some things change. And I agree what I as far back as I can remember, since I'm the old bastard in this conversation, you know, I remember Humpy, when Humphrey and McGovern and all that. You know, I was four years old and six years old. I remember when Nixon resigned. And I remember in a town that I came from in Rumford, Maine, which was a Democratic town because it was pro labor, you know, Milltown, and the Democratic Party was the party of the people. It's completely flip flopped. The Democratic Party has lost touch on what you said, would they were more? You know, listen, I love George Clooney, but when he starts advising who should be running for office, I'm like, what the hell is going on here? You know, I mean you've got Oprah and you've got Clooney, and you've got all these you know, Hollywood elite coming in and people who just are concerned about, you know, living week to week going What the hell does this have to do with me? You know, I did have a terrific guest on earlier, you know, Anthony Russo, as he pointed out, and it's been documented. I forgot to mention it. You know, all of these all of these events with the Hollywood leader, with Oprah. I mean they had to pay for those, I mean they had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty million bucks. I think they were in the hole when it was all said donee Wait a minute.
Speaker 2: Wait, so you have to buy the endorsement of a Hollywood. I mean, what the he I mean, that is just flat out wrong. So you know, I know you're you're a Pennsylvania born and bred. I think you know, Shapiro, your guy you know down the road, may have a future. We're even starting to see. I think some Democrats come out and maybe lend some more conservative views on certain social issues they were afraid to before. And I think the Democrats are going to have to go more to the middle quite frankly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, Garrett, I think ultimately the right will drift a little more towards the middle, because I know I can safely say this, and you're about ten years older than me. Love him or hate him, Donald Trump is the most polarizing political figure that I've seen in my lifetime and maybe in you know, the history of our country. There's been no one like him. And the way he you know, like his gravita, the way he has grabbed control of things. If that get canned over to JD. Mance, I don't think that continues. Just like as soon as kind O Harris had a chance to jump into Joe Biden's role, everybody saw how flawed she was. So I wonder if out of this period of time, in a weird way, we do kind of start to come back to the middle and at least live in a little bit closer to reality versus some of the ways that we were kind of drifting to that the American public clearly pushed back on.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's where America is. I think if you pulled eighty percent of America, or if you pulled one hundred percent of America, I think eighty percent would be either just just slightly to the right or slightly to the left, because we really are a country of common sense. The majority of this country is a country of common sense. It's like reasonable people saying, you know what, I can't let everybody in that I would like to, or I can't. I can't pay for everybody's college if they can't afford it. I would like to, but I can't. Or I think the majority of people say, you know, I don't care if you're gay, if you want to get married, fine, but you need to pay for it, you know, I mean, you know, if you want to have it. I really believe that. I just believe that the majority of the country is towards the middle.
Speaker 3: You're absolutely right, there is no way a person can give themselves up to what they're being said from one party or the other. And sadly there are people like that, and to me, they're ideologically invalid. All they are is sheep and they're told what to do. Right, if we're really if we're really, truly honest about it, Most people make decisions or voting decisions based on their own personal feelings and their own personal situation. There's no way that you can be just left or just right in every big decision that you have to make, especially when it comes to politics. I grew up in western Pennsylvania. It was very coal miner I met Richie Trumpton when I was a kid because my dad worked for them at Nemicole and Mine back in the day. So I know all about union and organized labor and all that. I grew up around that kind of stuff. But at the end of the day, people vote based on their own personal situation more than they do their party politics. It's the party politics only people who are trying to preach on to everybody else how wor commies or people are bad for democracy and stuff like that, when all you want to do is just trying to make the best decisions for yourself at the end of the day, and not give a damn of an R or a D. It's not that hard.
Speaker 2: No, it's true, and it's you know, the economy. You go and again, you know, as I pointed out at the beginning of the show, Clinton, I don't know, I said, I don't know if there's is there a connection here? Do you have to have an affair to have a good economy? I mean Clinton had Monica Lewinsky in the cigar and he balanced the budt like. But that's what I mean. They are both pigs. I mean they both can I but people vote for them because of the economy. They're both They're not nice guys. But you don't have to put money in my pocket.
Speaker 3: I can validate you what your thought is here, at least I think I can. And that would be that when you live in the normal world, right like you and I have done television and radio and stuff, people swear in the normal world. Pat McAfee puts that in the open of his show all the time. That's how real people talk, right. I think what we found out was that there are a lot of people who were willing to look past some personal transgressions because we have gone through what the last fifteen years of trying to change people's thoughts on crime, punishment, things like that, we've normalized stuff, Oh that guy made a mistake. Well guess what in my short brain world, I saw online something else that Oh I forgot about. Ah, that's not a big deal. So and so my favorite rapper did it, or actor or whatever. So the end of the day, we've kind of taught people that it isn't the worst thing in the world, and when you fed people the whole you can come back from it unless we want to weaponize it and use it against you for a political gain or something like that. It's contradictory of what we're telling the kids that are growing up today. And clearly America said, hey, listen, he ain't a perfect person. However, I think he can do a better job than this person. So while you I got why you kind of paused and were like, hey, I'm kind of kidding. But at the end of the day, it also kind of put into where the public lands on some of that stuff people want to try to throw in the face when it comes to a nasty political camp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and I started the show talking about forty six percent of women, according to Action Polls, voted for Trump.
Speaker 1: You know, amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's a lot of people who would point at them and say you are the problem, when it's really the fingers pointing back at them that are the problem. Because people don't want to open up and talk about things. They want to dictate to people the way we should think. And at least that's going to stop. Again, it ain't gonna be perfect with Trump. Let's just be real about that. But if you're into the not being told what to do kind of with your life, for hey, taking these people from another country, then you're gonna get a little a little bit of normalcy again.
Speaker 2: Do you still have the picture of you and me and Donald on the sideline?
Speaker 3: You know what's really funny. It is in we have like a homework room, office area stuff like that, and it's in there prominently featured where you snuggled up the side him. I kind of leaned in there a little bit. It was weird because like Mulaney, it was standing off to the side like she does even when the guy's like, you know, give it a big political speech or whatever. But yeah, that was wild. We walked down there and there he was, and you know it was like, let me introduce you some of my front dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had a chance to talk to Donald. That was that was That was something else crush. Andy Gresh is with us. I have to ask him some Patriot questions. Next to WBZ.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, Gresh, monsters here, Andy Gresh joining us. We've covered frying a turkey, crazy Thanksgiving recipes, we have fixed the world politically, and as I wrapped things up, going to touch on a little bit of sports. But I just saw that Hulk Hogan expects to be named to a leadership post in the Trump administration.
Speaker 3: Oh, dear lord, hopefully if it's Pyro and Dally who you know, he's the guy who comes out and introduces Trump all the time. Yeah, or or there's a lot of T shirts to be sold, brother, so maybe there's maybe there's some good merch opportunities.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 3: Huh Hulkamania, Oh my god, but you know what Trump Romania is very much alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very real. Nope, it is Gresch. I was talking earlier Paul Perilla joined us from Patriots dot Com and I just after leaving the media, and I just drop in now and again, I'm much happier. I have less money, but I'm much happier. I don't feel I'm not and I'm not and I wasn't even as negative as as some people. But I don't feel the need to have like a hot topic every day. And I just sit there and I root for Gerrodmeo because I love the man. I worked with him for a couple of years. He's a good human being. Does he survive. I hope he does. The team's a mess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's a lot going on right now in my opinion, And you're right. I've dealt with Sharad and he did an event right as I was like leaving the sports Hub. I did an event with him and like Catherine Tappan, and he was fantastic, and you dealt with him a compki. He's a really good guy. However, he was clearly in over his head, and I think the early focus was don't be like Bill. It wasn't be your off self, it was don't be like Bill. Don't do this less hard ass edge. That's the line that sticks with me because that's what the organization was really priding itself in and said, oh, everybody can breathe, now, everyone can relax. Everybody does their job, and that's when stuff gets exposed. Gary in Miami, those guys didn't have any ability to stop the bleeding even a little bit. They couldn't fix the fact that the left guard Michael Jordan was getting beat on twists every time that Marcus Shoones ended up outside on waddle and the getting pants out there. They didn't have the ability to correct that from a coaching standpoint, or at least mitigate the damage. It exposed a lot of the flaws of the youth and the coaching staff. And when you hear guys even kind of half clowning after the game a loss like that, to me, that ain't good.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I think that one of the things we spoke about earlier is that the best coaches, quite frankly, a lot of the times they are not nice guys.
Speaker 3: Well you know, you know, they're demanding and then there's demanding versus demeaning and all that kind of stuff. But to your point, those who get the mote, like you know, Sean McDermott doesn't look like the most personable person, but can you develop a relationship by demanding greatness out of these guys? And the end of the day, I think that's why a lot of there are way more dudes that hold Bill Belichick in high regard then they do think he's a piece of trash the way that Sante Samuel does.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you maybe you may you might recall this, but Parcel's first year with the Giants was not good.
Speaker 3: Nope, and he was a day a d bag. But from what I.
Speaker 2: Understand, if I if I remember the story, correction, he was a little too nice the first year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's hard for the nice guy to go to a hard ass certain way to hold people to a standard that they really attack down there, especially early on with Gerrod Mayo. And you know what got me Gary, you know, Fourier and I were down there at camp in August and I was seeing guys like kind of half assed jog between drills and stuff like that, and I was like, oh, no, Garry like this. It was like, this doesn't look good, Carol. Some of the bingo, some of the softness that we've seen during the regular season was so during the preseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that look, Bill wasn't necessarily a screamer. He would just cut your ass. And and Wiggy Jamaine, this is Bill talking to Wiggy Jamayne. If you don't make this block, not catch this pass. If you don't make this block, I will cut your ass immediately. And Jamay was like he knew he would. I mean this this might have been before Wiggy had the big you know, snowball game, and just say, I will cut your ass immediately. And I said, what happened? He goes, I made the block, no question I made And there's not that sort of a counter. I mean, you know, that's the thing is. I think they are taking advantage of him, and I you know, can it can it be fixing? He's going to be back for another year. You got to give the guy a Oh, there's no question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no way Robert Kraft gets rid of Girrod.
Speaker 6: And you know what was interesting, and you and I know the dynamics of everything down there, it was interesting that no one saw Jonathan Kraft as the girod Mayo press conference.
Speaker 3: Danny Kraft was there, and obviously Robert was there. But eventually it's going to be Jonathan's to run on his own at some point, and I felt like there was a little bit of separation of church and state at least in that moment of the I still reserve my right to make a decision when it's my time. Type of message being sent.
Speaker 2: Mas seen, wellsh listen you have a great holiday, my friend.
Speaker 3: Thank you Gary, and listen uh YouTube at the real subscribe follow. Got a new YouTube show there. It's really cool.
Speaker 2: All right, Maybe you'll fry a turkey for you, all right, see you, Grace, you have a good holiday.
Speaker 3: Gary, have a great one, Bud, thank you.
Speaker 2: See it all right? Coming back, Sam Mettler's going to join us. Here's the moderate from the left coast, will tell us what happened with this election on WBC's Nightside