Speaker 1: What is up, fellasickos, I am Dan Valley coming at you with mister Moore Jansen of the NBA podcast, fame of Yahoo's Boards, fame of HBO Max fame of course only fans celebrity quick your next team more?
Speaker 2: All right, Obviously we have to coach to the Sacramento Kings because their needs are vast many. I don't I don't even want to key in on something. They just have. They have need everywhere. This is an organization that that probably just needs to start over, frankly, So take your pick, sir, Like where do we even feel comfortable? Look, I love the Darius Acuff selection, but even him, like he's got a need need for to be able to play defense, because that's not something he does a whole bunch. Like there's not a single player on this team where I'm like, oh yeah, nailed it at this point, even though again love a cup, just no, just needs everywhere. There's not a position I feel comfortable with. There's not a skill set I feel comfortable with. There's not a uh a spot on the floor where I just go, oh yeah, yeah, they got this covered, like from the three point line or whatever. Like, No, this just I do not trust this team as far as I can throw it, and that's because they have needs up the wazoo. So just take your pick in terms of like what you think Dan is like the most pressing one. I'm just gonna go all over on this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, like a single identifiable need. When I was thinking about that, my notes are kind of all over the place. Could you, like, what is the overarching philosophy of this roster? Or even because you could say chartered exist, what did.
Speaker 2: You say to exist?
Speaker 1: That's just philosophy.
Speaker 2: That's because there's no logic here. There's no philosophy. There's absolutely no thing going on on. This roster is just cashing checks, getting up shots, going home. It's this is the most ridiculous roster construction in the NBA currently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I still like Keegan Murray and you did just draft a cuffs I think you could point to and say you can't guarantee their pillars. But then like, I still I really liked and Ee Clifford coming into his rookie season was a little bit disappointed me. They found like getting what they did out of Dylan Cardwell or Maxim Reno last year. Those were nice fines for them, but you are right, there's the only shot they have at a higher end, long term cornerstone right now. As much as I still believe a health and Keegan Murray can kill it, it is a cuff. And I don't I wasn't big on him or Flemings necessarily coming out of the draft. And I know a lot of people they're already getting on me about my Flemings take there. So we'll see how pans out. I'm assuming he'll at least have a cuff. I'm talking about a ton of license on this team, but they are pretty Zach Lvine's here, Maligue Monk is here. At least a martyro And is gone. There's this team is They're the quintessential. I wish that we were doing this a little later on because there has to be like more stuff to come from. If it's just, oh, we're gonna wave to Martin Rosen, then we're gonna stretch that salary and that's the big move of the summer would be wildly disappointing here.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Do we even have more to say? Can we skip?
Speaker 1: Can't skip them? That'd be rude. Let's go too, But yeah, we can make it.
Speaker 2: Move on.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's go to Let's go to Denver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: So they're interesting because at the end of the season Ben Tenzer and John Wallace had come out and said, I believe that they need defense, athleticism, and ball handling. They have since added Trayvon Brazil the number thirty five pick, Bryce Hopkins the number forty nine pick, re signed Tyas Jones, and then signed Marvin Beckley the third. I'm not sure which of those needs were dressed with any of those those moves. I think Brazil in theory, okay, there's athleticism and maybe some stretch or some defense if he's blocking shots. A lot of this hinges on what's gonna happen with Peyton Watson. So what do they need? They need a resolution to the Peyton Watson situation, But beyond that, it's what else do they like? You look, what is the bigger need, the biggest the single when you're because I was going back and forth between, you could say it's defense. But if you look at their core lineups, especially if we assume Peyton Watson is back, they should be able to game it correctly. I found myself gravitating towards ball handling. I thought about shooting because they lost Tim Hardaway Junior. It's ultimately not shooting because I think that Nicola jokicch will just give you and Jamal Murray by virtue of having them both. That's a top three offense is basically or four at this point. So is it? Is it athleticism? But is that a weird thing to say when Peyton Watson might be back and you still have.
Speaker 2: Christian gravit guy? That's one guy. Frankly, I think this is the team that should complete a deal with Memphis because Memphis, as we saw, like twenty players on the contract currently, like they need.
Speaker 1: I'll take the over on that, just.
Speaker 2: Kidding, no, But like it's Cam Johnson, right, like twenty three million. Can you go to Memphis and say, look, you get an expiring Cam Johnson at twenty three million, will solve your roster crunch? Just give us debt? Is that a thing?
Speaker 1: What do you want from me? Because you're you're making your I think Cam Johnson is really important to this team.
Speaker 2: Especially free but like then okay, then Christian Brown, but like then you're gonna have to commensate them, because you're you're asking them to take on future money.
Speaker 1: Man. That is so so I get well, so I would need to see, like what are you propose Cam Johnson for? Who? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, so let's let's see.
Speaker 1: Let's see could you get a spencer? And like is Jalen Wells that's the prices that's not enough to get down.
Speaker 2: So you have twenty three if you want to look like you're going into a candy shopping you have twenty three millions to burn basically here and you need to align that so like you're not gonna get sack Ey sent a coward with some of those guys, Chris Murray you can probably get right, you should be able.
Speaker 1: Boody want well, I mean why would you? I guess to save money?
Speaker 2: Sure, I'm look, this is a way to get some depth onto the roster. And I guess what can they do? They they're so expensive. They have like Jokic and Murray earning fifty plus. Then you have Aaron Gordon checking in at fordy plus, you have Cam Johnson at twenty three, you have Christian Brown at twenty one. If them research and oh yeah, you've got to resign Peyton Watson too, so like, at some point, something's got to give, like if there's if there is a package to be found, it has to be with a team that is just completely overstocked with on contract unmovable contracts. Like No, though, I do think Chris Murky can even be aggregated right now.
Speaker 1: No, right, Memphis did not acquire him with cap space, so probably not unless they I mean, he could be before the season, he could be aggregated again, So.
Speaker 2: That okay, all right, fair enough?
Speaker 1: But like, so would you do something that is Memphis doing because this doesn't solve their bodies problem. If anything, it might make it worse. But are you doing Cam Johnson Christian Brown and then getting off the Zekenology deal and in exchange you get Cam Spencer and KCP? Maybe can Gigi Jackson come back in that deal? Do you need to your swap if you're denver? Is this my asking? Too? Much of it depends on I have no idea what Christian Brown's tree value would be.
Speaker 2: Right, No, that's that's tough.
Speaker 1: I do assume it's low, though otherwise I feel as if he wouldn't be on the team right now in real line, I.
Speaker 2: Agree, but like that my point larger point is this is kind of the type of deal Denver has to go look for because this is not a deep team. It's it's not and that's a problem if you want to compete for a championship. What I have, which I have to assume is still the priority when you have Nicola freaking Jokic on your team. Who's in this prime?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because so if they run back the thing I don't buy. I'm assuming was it you were Grant I talked to about this post the report from the Steinline that they're not necessarily under a mandate to shed salary. I have a I would be pleasantly surprised if that were the case, if they decide not to shed salary. But I have a hard time believing that after getting bounced in the first round, they're going to go into the second apron to keep the same team. That's what I have a hard time believe, for argument's sake, if they keep the same team. So you're bringing back Peyton Watson, You're bringing back Spencer Jones. How many trustworthy players deep does this rotation go? There's the starting five plus Peyton Watson, or if you want to at Christian Brown, the starting five place Christian Brown. That gives you six. I'd probably be wanting to throw the you know, the the jump shot is very weird looking, but I did go in more than I thought it would. I'd be willing to throw Spencer Jones in there. But I don't know that Tias is in a circle of trust anyway, Like he has not been good, good enough, not after the year before last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought he was a little underrated that year. I understand why they're skepticism. I was found out on him. I am now because Jesus the type of year he just had. No but there's not a lot of trust. That's and that's why, like you need to have more bites of the apple, and this is probably the only way that you get it.
Speaker 1: What is also fascinating is seven of their eight most used Nicole jokicch lineups last year were underwater defensively, only two of them ranked higher than the thirty fourth percentile. Maybe a healthy Aaron Gordon kind of solves that. I just don't know, you, Like, I just I don't know how they go about getting like better on a higher end because they're so assets strapped and also the players you would need to move to do it. Like the deal would be to me if in a perfect world you're moving Christian Brown and or Zeke Nausey and attaching someone or something to get better, but they don't have the assets to do that. We're talking about can you attach Cam Johnson to that, in which case that becomes a functional sacrifice. And also you're moving a ton of money at once. That's what they're in. Just such a tough spot and even trying to go out there and acquire depth at this point, I don't like, is Zeke Naugy plus a swap getting you anything? I don't like. That's and that's assuming they're willing to just foot the bill.
Speaker 2: For this roster, right. No, so yeah, I guess I didn't.
Speaker 1: Boil it down to a single biggest need. I'm gonna say, why do I want to go? Do I want to say ball handling, ball hangling?
Speaker 2: Creation?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll say that just seems so stupid on a team with Jokic, But as we saw during the playoffs, that would have gone a long way to have another reliable creator. Yeah, so I'll go with that. But you could talk me into athleticism just with Aaron Gordon getting older, and especially now if you if you tell me Peyton Watson's gone, then I think this becomes an incredibly easy exercise to rank.
Speaker 2: I am going to go with Dallas Mavericks, and the need that I have there is guards question mark. So I don't We don't know about Kyrie. It's basically the long end of it this, like we just don't know what kind of quality he's going to be at when the ball tips off next season. We have no idea. We can sit here and we can hope that he's the Kyrie Irving of Hold, or we can perhaps acknowledge that there is a level of skepticism as to whether he can be that player. Right, So he's not that guy? Where do you go here? Like who is going to be the one who can consistently set up Cooper Flag and Maurice Johnson? Like who is going to be the guy who consistently proves himself starting caliber worthy? Is it Ryan Nimhart, is it Marcus Sasser, Sergio de Lerara? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think that player would be on the roster. Brendan Williams is unsigned right now, and I think that I still have their biggest need, I have guard creation and also shooting. Just they were the non Cooper Flag players were in the sixteenth percentile of catching shoot three point efficiency last year, and then Flag himself was in the eighth percentile of it. Getting Kyrie back helps, But I think even right now you mentioned Sergio de la Area, there's a lot on his shoulders then, or Marcus Sasser. It's just like if this team, let's they're fine because Naji Marshall can get downhill, Kyrie Irving's coming back. We know Cooper Flag can get downhill. Just even with Klay Thompson here, there's just not a ton of shooting. And I'm like, this is I don't know if that this counts as a need, but why are they continuing to build a roster where Cooper Flag just isn't the day facto for or the default four?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah, agreed, agreed, I roster construction is a problem. So maybe their need is a roster construction symmetry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they have because who is there? You have Kyrie and I really do like Max Christie, but the confidence level in guards kind of drops off there. Yeah right, I mean actually the guards in general just drop like the raw count of guards just drops off after Kyrie Irving and Max Christy Sasser. Klay Thompson even defensively is more of a forward at this point. So it's nemhard Dala ree. Yeah, it's the roster construction is interesting. I found myself asking this is a question that I have more. What do we see more minutes of Cooper flag as the actual four or Santi al Dama at the three.
Speaker 2: I don't like Sanci at the three.
Speaker 1: He shouldn't be there, but did they acquire him to Maybe they're not confident in Derek Lively's health, which is fair.
Speaker 2: You're right and nobody. You're right because they acquired him. P J is still there. You're you're gonna have to play the She's there, Maurice Johnson, they drafted. Do you think do you want to be an interesting trade?
Speaker 1: Not like at least a framework Naji Marshall for Sam Hauser. Boston needs rim pressure and I think Dallas needs another guy who could really sling it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean you're not swing positional need out right, But yes, I hear what you're saying. That could be interesting. Yeah, I wouldn't hate that. You're still not the playmaking.
Speaker 1: No, but the question is is how one? Because you don't control they do have first round equity, so let's be clear, they do have picks to trade. But should you be trading picks at this stage either like whether it's your own which you don't control again in twenty thirty one or other teams is probably not? And so how do you go? I am with like messi U Jerry said, and I think a lot of people. I want to see Cooper Flag and Kyrie Irving together to see what it looks like. But the variable there isn't what we see it. It's just what does Kyrie Irving look like at his age coming off an ACL injury?
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, exactly. So lots of questions about Dallas at this point, just.
Speaker 1: Going through the comments really quick to see if I missed anything that would be what is Jamal Murray for? If not for ball handling on the Nuggets? I mean, yeah, I get that, but did we look at how many ball handlers the Spurs had to get to the finals. Look how many ball handlers? Okay, see has even Nicks. I'm just looking at the higher end teams from last season. Just a ton of Josh Hart or mckail maybe not the highest level passers, but mckel bridges Josh Hart, like they just have the really good these three guys. Towns Is as.
Speaker 2: A ball, I mean, for for a center, He's extremely fluid with the ball, Like, let's.
Speaker 1: Yeah fair, So I you just you need more than Jamal Murray and I think Nicole Yokichen, yes, Sage. Kyrie isn't done. I mean, I'm open to that. I don't know what it would take to get because people just said they should trade Kyrie Irving because of the need. He feels like we've just spent a ton of time talking about and then I don't even know what his value would be right now. You're probably not getting a ton of You're probably not getting a ton of value for him right now.
Speaker 2: I don't think so either.
Speaker 1: No correlation is not causation though, Okay, I don't. All right, awesome, Uh, which teams we have left?
Speaker 2: Oh, let's see, see we.
Speaker 1: Have the Clippers. Let's go to the Clippers.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Go with a resolution to the aspiration and investigation, of course, And then I think they need a center. If we're like trying to isolate it down to the biggest need. I don't know what this team's direction is really in the short term or the long term because they don't control their own picks and the new lottery rules, like they they could be decent. You look at the talent. Derek Jones Junior is still there, Chris Juhnn is still here. But the center options Niederhauser is coming back from that Liz Frank injury, so I'm assuming he won't be ready to even start the season. You have Brook Lopez who's just getting older, Isaiah Jackson that the big man rotation here is just kind of uninspiring, right, And so I like, I like brook Lopez in theory, but this isn't brook Lopez from like two or three years ago, And so they do have enough, I think, just guards. Even like the shooting got better with the Ruy Hachimra addition, maybe they're not going to be the best shooting team because it's what it's Woggler Garland Hachi Mora, And that's like kind of you. I mean, I guess brook Lopez still provides you with stretch. So I'm pretty like glombed onto the center position at this point. And I don't know, I could say, Okay, I want someone who's going to give them some size and like rebounding girth there on the defensive glass. For sure. I don't know how you go about acquiring that player, because I don't think this team's on the timeline of let's give up assets to go address this need, right.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, I agree. Everything is kind of thrown together a little bit at this point. By the way, Keeton Wagler, I didn't love him at five, but he needs to pop so severely right now because I just I can't. I can't envision anyone else Like it's they're trying to be younger, but like Gardland is like a twenty two year old anymore, Like he's approaching his late twenties. He has to be the guide to just kind of clippers. Get Peyton Watson all right.
Speaker 1: Sam Passini fan Paige, I want to someone go make a Hardwood Knox fan page or more YenS and OnlyFans fan paign.
Speaker 2: Oh I heard, Look, I already got that booked. No, it's that's actually a good one. That would be fun. Like I don't think they can get there, right, but like that'd be fun they could do.
Speaker 1: That wasn't their latest report was because they did by going with Ruy, they confirmed their acting over the cap. But they could do a sign and trade for him still.
Speaker 2: And there won't be poison pill status.
Speaker 1: Well they will, so the base year compensation would be the issue. And so now you're roping in, they're probably FLEXI it's not as big of an issue as you know Sacramento trying to get Jayen Duran. That would just be that that would be terrible, or that it'd be like the logistics of that would be.
Speaker 2: It would also be terrible. It's okay to say, yes, that would also be.
Speaker 1: So, so I think it'd be easier also because Peyton was Peyton Watson yet between twenty seven and thirty. So but yeah, well yeah, I mean, so you think he's gonna get less than Christian Brown.
Speaker 2: I think he's gonna get like closer to Tari easton money.
Speaker 1: Wow, I mean that's what I'm not I'm just saying, if that's what that's man, that'll be. I hadn't. I don't think I prepared myself and I probably should have for this narra in which he got less than Christian Brown got. I don't think, by the way, if that's what he's getting. You could definitely figure out how to make the base of conversation a sign and trade work, but through the Clippers have like what do the Clippers have? They have some spare parts, but in a Chris Dunn and a Derrek Jones junior that Denver might have interest in. But are you giving up a pick or picks to get Peyton Watson? I'm sure that gets Denver's attention, But as the Clippers, should you be doing that?
Speaker 2: It depends on how much you trust this last season of Watson, right, I mean, because he was good. But is it something you buy into being a regular thing.
Speaker 1: Well, even if you, let's say they do buy into that, what are you giving like? What are what is dep like? Are you giving first round picks to debt because you need Denver to make this work? Now? Unless they're dumping is there?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, if the choir trade doesn't go through, it's probably easier to shave a bunch of money and a cool like the pistons are just sitting there right now, that's ready? Or what happens if his contract gets avoided? Does it stay as a dead cat pit at that point? Or is it just off their books.
Speaker 2: We need to know these things.
Speaker 1: Why. I look, I thought I thought the trade. I thought the trade was going to go through. So what what do any of us know? Is the and they're talking about it's not gonna be resolved for weeks. Conspiracy, Say Denver's in the second apron though, Uh, they could still trade. You can trade sign and trade someone in the second apron or close to it. You can't acquire someone in a sign and trade. That would hardcap you with the first apron. So but yeah, Peyton Watson doesn't fill the center need though, but he would be this team gets more athletic, which I think you could argue would also be a need that they could fill. I like Peyton Watson here, that'd be a great flyer. If you have him and Garland and Woggler, you just build some really fun units with those.
Speaker 2: M H. I agree. Who do we have left? We have? Oh? God, Repelicans? Is this the last one? I feel like we're missing someone? Blazers, Yeah, they were. I was trying to make you pick the Pelicans. I think I six you name them. You can't pivot? Sorry, God, so twice in a row? All right? Um? Can can the need be like in the front office. Oh man, can we have a front office need? Just combats in front office work? Is that?
Speaker 1: Could you first just list off all the transactions that they've had this summer more? Oh god, there's been so many. We'll be here for an hour, right, Uh now, I look, has there even been a sign just there? I know that they've been quiet, but like, haven't they resigned DeAndre Jordan?
Speaker 2: They did? Is that? Really? God?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: I have our So I'm building our document, I mean the process of bringing our document for when uh we do our report card grades, which we at least have to wait for like the lebron and commit yeats and stuff to say, here's a lot, but here are their transactions. Uh? They picked up Karlo Makovic's two point three million dollar team option, declined Kavan Looney's eight million dollar team option, re signed DeAndre Jordan. End of this all right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, uh, I guess you trust your roster and.
Speaker 1: Glass Cow says, can everything be a need? Look? I think not to hijacket from you, but the two I have highlighted in theory, one of them shouldn't be a need. But they need to figure out what they're doing at the center position. Do you view Derek Queen as a five or not? And if you don't, then I like, I don't know how how the Zion Williamson tug of war works because then neither of them are five. Eves Mesie's probably not the five or DeAndre Jordan. If you view Derek Queen as a glorified four, do you view Derek Queen as someone who's just gonna continue to come off the bench, So then you need to figure out the center position that could maybe be done internally. I still like me si and I thought the vision of Derrek Queen was, yeah, the defense, he'll be cooked. But he is a five. So if it's I if that's how you view him long term, which.
Speaker 2: I I don't.
Speaker 1: Do you think he could be a four? Or playing like what who's the big he's to play alongside like Chet Holmgren basically or Chriss porzingis right, those types of things.
Speaker 2: He needs to play along someone alongside someone who sort of like him, just better defensively, because well, I mean, look, I do.
Speaker 1: You Andy Kruz said skip? I'm assuming he said skip.
Speaker 2: The He's not wrong, but these all around big men like who struggled defensively though, but are so good at passing, rebounding, scoring, whatever. Like they need someone who is almost equally as diverse, but just in different areas. Like you can't have just you know, a playmaker and necessarily a rim runner. I firmly believe you need to have like some level of identifiable factors there. So with with with Queen, I think it's difficult because he's not a shooter yet we know the defense is a problem, so like a no three, no d center, just you have to work around that to a perverse degree. And like I'm not even racking on it because what he did this year was or last year was really good for a rookie, especially like this dude would just cobble together, you know, triple doubleish lines. That's that's impressive. So so they need to figure out how can we get bit up an all around big men in here who's just better defensively. And you brought up chet Honkgren, who I think is like the perfect fit next to Queen, but he's just not realistic. So like, who's the next next player who's in the homegrown rain?
Speaker 1: I think one of the questions first is do you trust Derek Queen to develop more offensive range, not in the sense of a more complete offensive player, but the actual range to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I trust them. So if you trust the arrival of the three more than the dyes so.
Speaker 1: And because what did he shoot like eighty percent of the foul line or something, So I think it's reasonable to say, Okay, he'll shoot better than even looking at like from mid range, she was at thirty seven percent last year. He was at twenty four percent on non corner threes and then twenty eight percent from the corners. I expect those to tick up. I think that he's someone where the volume could tick up too. Then I don't know if you need to go, well, it would be preferable let me let me just be clear, it'd be preferable to do the floor spacing, like just go get Miles at this point or something. You figure it all out later. But you could also like someone who's a vertical space where I think could work if you trust Derrek Queen to develop that additional offensive range. And so if Jared Allen were available, I don't know what the cost is to get him. If it's just Trey Murphy straight up I probably don't like that as New Orleans. Maybe there's other things if you can get a pick and Jared Allen for Trey Murphy at this point, maybe that's too rich for the Cavs as Blood, but I think you could go a big man of that route to where it's okay. He clearly does the vertical spacing stuff in a way that you don't trust Eves mecI to do so right now, in a way that Zion Williamson, just like Jim Willison, isn't like a screen and roll big and he can't be your defensive anchor at the five either. And I think you could probably say the same for Eves mec at this point, but it would be preferable if you don't think Derek Queen is ever gonna be a league average jump shooter. Let's say, then you if you want to play him alongside another big I think the I don't know if Jared Allen works as well. You could go in Isaiah Hartenstein type. Someone of theisa kind of has that flowing a range a lot of like can do a lot of stuff in the short role, but it makes it tough. Oh, by the way, their actual other need though too. I think it's just more shooting on the team. You could I know they have Jordan Pool at a down year, but it's Trey Murphy and it's like, what else is is bankable on this roster?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a.
Speaker 1: Question for you als. So shooting the non Trey Murphy players last year more catch and shoot efficiency second percent tile non Tree.
Speaker 2: Second percentile.
Speaker 1: That's not good, just in case anyone was wondering whether that's good. But to the center point, this was a third or excuse me, the second consecutive year they were bottom three in defensive rebounding. I would also like that they were dead last in like and this is part of like the big man thing or just the personnel, Like their transition defense needs to be more disciplined. They were dead last and transition frequency off of a misshot like that they allowed. So there's I think I can't remember who your glass going in the chats, like everything be a need. They're probably not at that level because I like Trey Murphy. They have they have a lot of like Herb Jones, Trey Murphy is a deep but actually have a lot of like nice wing types on this team, and they even have some offensive engine types when you're looking at Zion Williamson, Derrek Queen, maybe even de Jon Dea Murray is still here. But the roster. We went through this a little bit with the Kings, and it's not as bad as Sacramento, right, but it does lack a certain coherence to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I I agree we I think overall, if I'm I'm trying to take this seriously because again I actually agree with the commenter who said that everything. But I understand your point that we have to be a little bit matitious about this. It's not just the three point shot, although agreed, it's not just the front off of the stuff. It's also just a there's there's an element of, or rather a lacking element of self sacrifice.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I just don't think this is a group for one another, Like I don't think this is a group that has any interest in proceeding as they currently constructed. I think the player so well aware that this project is uh is failing. I think everyone around them is aware of it. I just think there's a need drastic I think there's a need for major roster construction changes. Is it Ziah is it? Jordan Poole? Is it Deoncey Murray. Is it all of them? Probably? I don't even know the hell you're building around.
Speaker 1: I don't need is it you don't have, You don't have the player to point to. You would the hope probably should have been that it would be Queen or Jeremiah Fears. You cannot and maybe you can't definitively say that about most sophomores. They feel further away than they should be for where the Pelicans would be add and I don't view that as the fault of the players. But if you're trying to if it's not Zion, there is no and Zion probably isn't a realistic option unless you're willing to go out. Because if Zion's the option, do you know what the moves are? And I'm not necessarily endorsing these, you start trading Fears in Queen and picks to build adequately around Zion and Trey Murphy that's the move, which is probably not the move. And what's also you mentioned the nuclear thing. I think that's fair, that would be and they're a team, they can do something. This isn't the Kings where all of that, like Zion I would assume, still has appeal the issue would be how many of his potential trade suitors came off the board this summer though, like Phoenix after the Miles Bridges trade just gone, the heat Giannis just gone. You could still get a haul for Trey Murphy. I don't know what Herb Jones's value is, so they could do something nuclear. I think it's gotten a little harder now, like put like post some of these other trades where it's if you didn't think Zion Williamson was gonna net you a small ransom before, it's probably harder to find the team that says I mean could if you want to take on Paul George, is there like a Zion like for Paul George structure that would make sense? You want rim pressure in Boston?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Do you do you like that? Do you like to fit in Joe Masula's offense? Well maybe he's the guy who actually.
Speaker 1: Want to which is different players, but to be sure and better.
Speaker 2: But Sion at least you know he can just kind of spray the ball out to shooters. It's not it's not like an idea that's the end of the world. There, I get it. I think conceptually I like the fit of Paul George and Boston more than Williamson, but at the same time he's just so much older PG. So just the age addition you can call it in getting Sion in there, who's more along the timeline of Jason Tatum and will be cheaper than Jaylen Brown. Perhaps there's something there. I hadn't thought about that one, but it's it's not a bad idea on its surface.
Speaker 1: It's just I don't know what the if it's a pick and not one of the ones you just acquired. I mean, but I'm assuming if if the cost was that maybe Zion's already been moved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would assume so.
Speaker 1: Uh Andy cru says Zion has the shooting around him in Boston, Yeah for sure. I mean maybe some of the lineups with if you want to play him with Mitch or Kada a little touch and go, but Boston has plenty of uh the ability. They definitely have the ability to space the floor like his drives would be to be like I think the vision would be similar to what it was supposed to be with the honest it just let him rampage to the basket at will Uh we are onto the Portland Trailblazers, who are our final team. Yeah, they need a Ja Moran trade.
Speaker 2: I think, well, we definitely know they don't need a point guard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure. I think it's still I had them as a sneaky what I thought would have been like a great Trey Murphy dark horse trade destination, because I think they need that type of player, and I think they need that type of player more than ever. Now is just the like the movement shooter preferably doesn't summary in your defense, but you have look the ball handling boxes checked. Damian Lillard, Denny Avdia, John Morant, Drewalidey, Scoot Henderson, Shane Sharp can handle a little bit the passings if he you've got between Robert Williams the third, Donovan Klingen an excellent sophomore season. I even like the Brandon Carlson pick up. I think was smart by them. I haven't given up on Young Hansom yet. This roster is still kind of deep. A lot of intriguing players. But if you want, if the plan is to play John Morant and Damian Lillard together, I like you better hope the floors basing from Donovan Klingon is real just because the John Morant element of it. But someone like a Trey Murphy I think becomes would be integral to this team. I don't know, like i've even them as good enough to where they should be looking at that type of a play. There's other names that we could throw out there as well, but I have written in my notes to think they need their Trey Murphy. And I think that I would have said that had they not made the John Morant trade. And I under I understand that from a talent vacuum play, because you can give up a ton to get him. But I hated that trade for Portland. I just don't. I don't like it. And it's I trust that like emotionally, this team, like culturally, this team will be fine. Damian Lillard's in the building, Drew Holliday, super high character guy. John Morant, this has to be somewhat of a rude of like and know it has to be an awakening for him. Maybe it's not rude, but it's an awakening for him. I would imagine change of scenery could do him good. But I don't know, Like I don't even know what their like favorite lineups are gonna look like at this point because you start to run into who are you leaving out if you think Denny needs to play and it feels like they're obligated to play jaw Damian Lillard needs to play. De Monty Kamara needs to play. Drew Holliday needs to play. One of your bigs clinging as your bass big or whether it's r W three needs to play. They are a team that could play without a center before. I'm less intrigued by those lineups now because you don't have Jeremy Grant, who didn't help you enough with the rebounding. But are you getting away playing small with John Moran and or Damian Lillard on the court. I don't know what any of the John Morant stuff augurs for Scoot Henderson Slash Shade and Sharp's future. I think, like Shade and Sharp and stuff for Trey Murphy, is there something you could build around there would do wonders for this team. I still wouldn't love the John Morant fit, but I think I think that's what they need, and look, there's the data just to back it up, like they were just not a strong shooting team last year, Like Damian Lillard helps a ton beyond and off ball gravity is just an element. They didn't have a singular player last year, but they need they need more now for sure.
Speaker 2: I agree. I don't have anything to add. You just took everything.
Speaker 1: Well, it was one need. I was just unpacking it. So I appreciate if you. I don't know if you feel a job. That's what I'm here for is a steel people's I'm aim. Really, I'm not an actually human. I'm a y I feel. There's when I hate. I don't want people to think, probably that I'm being lazy when I say this. The just need shooting, So I probably whenever I go to shooting or wings, I probably feel the need to over explain. Whereas no, I promise you I've thought about this.
Speaker 2: No you have. I saw and I know you have, and you're you're right on the money. It's because, look, let's just be real about one thing here as well. Shade and Sharp has not proved that he's a great long range shooter. So it's not just the John Morant on him and Kling and pairing, it's Shade and Sharp too, Like you just don't know what that's going to entail. So if you have three potential players in the lineup, who are you know, potentially weak shooters. That's a problem. And then you just re signed Propert Williams the third also not a floor stretching pig man. That's a problem. Like you're not really sure what kind of spacing you're going to get out of Young Hansen. You just don't know. And Scoot, Hey, Scoot as well. He's hat shooting concerns over the course of his career too, Like these are it's a fair question, Like this is on a balance. If they all have a good year, god, they could make a playoff run like or a run within the playoffs. But if you have so many h let's see what is what is the comment the needed shooting and maybe a real power for it, and they went an acquired job. Oh that's a good comment. I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're there. You're right about the because so and I assume he's just not going to play a bunch and if he is, I don't know what that says about their plans for Young Hansen. But Brandon Carlson might give you the stretch because a stretch element at the five. If Donovan clingon shot is for real and he's just a thirty five percent shooter on arc threes that gets I think it opens up the like John Moran needs that openness, I think, especially when some of their most important players when you look at the percentages. Yes, Tomaniy Kamara fine shooter. Denny Avda is someone who can shoot like you don't want to take him off the dribble jumpers necessarily, but it's a set shooter. Okay. But Damian Lillard's the only guy on this roster who like comes close to being a five alarm fire relative to his position, and that's they need that at another spot, and it doesn't Trey Murphy's the name I gravitate towards. If they could get a Max Struce, a Sam Merrill even you just you can't fit him into the structure. Though I was gonna say, there might be like a shade and sharp for Miles Turner swap here, but I just don't know how many minutes Miles Turner's playing when you have Donovan Klington and RW three on top of young handsome there and Brandon Carlson. But that that's what they need to go out and get and they have. Look, they have the I would say, if you're willing to trade Shaden Sharp and Scoot Is. I'm assuming they're not married to Scoot. Now, if you have John Morant and Damian Lillard and Drew Holiday there, they have the ability to make that type of move, and I guess it seems like they're willing to make swing. I would be like, do we expect them to make another significant transaction before the other because we're kind of in the off season dog days at this point we are, Yeah, if we will still be looking to cut money at some point, so there is that to consider. But maybe Trey Murphy becomes actually available. If the Pelicans ever pick up their phone, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, we'll see, but it does feel like they've kind of said, all right, this is our team moving forward.
Speaker 1: And do you do you think though that it's that there is a there's like a layer of intelligibility to that because you don't know what you look like with John Moran, So why would you now go make another move where your team has to be more reflective of the image of having rant.
Speaker 2: I guess, but we know what who John Morand is and we know his weaknesses, we know his strength, So yeah, I mean, if you want to go into that approach, and say we I want to see it first. Cool. I personally, I don't think there's a need for it. I think it's pretty obvious what's gonna happen. But like I, well, we could be wrong, I guess I on this one, I just don't think we are.
Speaker 1: But well, because peak, even if you got peak, Ja Morant, I don't think our biggest need change. Like if we just said you're getting twenty twenty two, John Morant, that was all NBA season, right, Yeah, it's great, Yeah, you're getting peak, John Morant. I think you still need well, hope, we just spent like the last.
Speaker 2: Eight minutes or so, absolutely absolutely both.
Speaker 1: Apparently overtired and forgot the Warriors.
Speaker 2: You take it. What is their biggest need, sir?
Speaker 1: They need Jonathan Kamingo back, So I have youth and athleticism. Which is kind of funny because the like the two free agents they're linked to the most is one Draymond Green, who we just expect to come back obviously, but then too, they're also linked to Lebron James, who would be one of their more athletic players. Anyway, this is just a team though. Twenty third and transition frequency or worse for the past three years. I think you're also looking at the perimeter defense. Right now, both Moses Moody and Jimmy Butler are going to begin the season on the shelf. We don't know if Moody's gonna play next year. I don't know if Jimmy Butler's gonna return before the calendar flips to twenty twenty seven, just at his age and the injury that he's coming back from. So you're putting like there's a lot right now on the shoulders of defensively, Danthony Melton, and then is Jaxel Lindenberg playing a bunch of minutes here and Draymond Green of course defensively, And so you just look at this team and they have and they still do, had a whole bunch of I think you different needs heading into the offseason they haven't addressed aside from talent retention for them, they haven't addressed any of them. And so it's not just youth athleticism. It's all right, well, Jimmy Butler's injured, Do you need another creator, do you need more I mean you can say do they need more durability at the five spot? Just now you have al Horford, christophs porzingis there's Draymond at the five lineups. Of course you lost Quinton Post. They did sign Charles Bassi. They just need wings again, Moses Moody, Jimmy Butler being injured. How much do you trust Jack so Wendenberg off Rip or Gie Santos and Will Richard to play bigger roles. But youth and athleticism over Maybe it doesn't need to be young, but it needs to be athleticism on this team, Like they need to have that button to push, and they do not.
Speaker 2: Right now, they don't. You're absolutely right, And that's been a concern for a while now, right like they try to do the whole like let's be competitive, let's try to develop young guys. They couldn't develop the young guys. They also chose poorly in the draft for quite a few years there. It's it's it's a problem. They don't really have a backup plan in this in this manner, like if the plan is Lebron great, Seemingly you want Anthony Davison there because that's what he's requiring. So how do you sell that idea to Washington? Like using Jimmy as a trade ship I don't think that's gonna go over particularly well. Yeah, I think that's a I think it's it's a complete fair observation that they're in need of athleticism and durability and just someone who can do something else. Then I run around the floor and just be an observer because I think that has been a problem for them for a long time. Just everyone looking at Steph, looking at Draymond, looking at these guys like you need someone who comes in and just does stuff. And maybe that's Lindeborg. Honestly, maybe it's it's pajem Ski in year four, but they need something. Maybe it's Gui Santos. Like I, frankly, I'm just open for everything at this stage because they are in need of having someone other than the old crew delivered it at a much higher rate.
Speaker 1: And it's I mean, they were twenty seventh in rim pressure last year, they're not when you're looking at like the way that roster's set up now without Jimmy. For let's assume at least half of the year, you're not gonna draw a ton of fouls, right like until that bar has even been low. And so I look to even with the idea that Jimmy Butler will come back. I think you look at his roster and say they're kind of married. Just their their centers of christophs Perzenkis and Al Horford. You're not going to upgrade there, And I mean maybe someone becomes available that we're not discussing. Steph is Steph. You're not going to upgrade at that spot if you're bringing Draymond back, or you have Lebron James, like your four is kind of set, and so I look at the two three spot like it's the wing spot. It's like, I feel as if what all the stuff we're talking about, ideally it would come in the form of a bigger wing or just a wing type player agree, And I don't know who that is. I mean, Trey Murphy's been one that's been mentioned for them. He's been mentioned for every team that doesn't check all of about like, he's not gonna give you a ton of rim pressure, he's not the best defender, and he's gonna cost you a ton of assets. I think you still make that move and figure it out later. But the bigger question here is if it's not Lebron James, who again does not answer, he'll give you some rim pressure. For sure, if you're worried about creation, especially with Jimmy Butler injured, he's going to give you that. But if it's not Lebron James, do you view this as a team that's gonna look to make I've asked Grant this question a but like, are they actually gonna try and make significant upgrades or do they come out of this offseason and say, you know, we were linked to Lebron and like we were kinda it seems like they maybe might have checked in on you. Honest, they weren't on his final list though, and we were linked to Anthony Davis for a hot minute, and that's just gonna be that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that is what ultimately happens, because they can only put their best foot forward, and they are an organization that would probably want that to be publicized a lot that they did, because I think we've seen that every single year with them, like, oh, we tried to be in the running for blah blah blah blah. That's and that's fine, Like sometimes you just don't get shit done, and I don't think that's necessarily something to look down upon. But I think they realize the situation as well, like this is the sunset years of Stephen Draymond, and while they want to give them something cohesive to allow them to have a good final run, it just comes down to do other players look at this situation as being attractive? And most, I would guess, don't.
Speaker 1: I think when the bar is so high in the West with San Antonio and Okac being there, and then even you either believe Dever is going to be right back there, or perhaps you think that Minnesota's better. I know you don't, but perhaps you think Minnesota is better after the La Melo ball trade. Cald Houston just get better by virtue of being healthier having cred Van fleetback they could get. I mean a lot of their key players on my Thompson, Alprin, Shangoun Reed Shepherd aren't off the growth trajectory. It's tough because with Golden State too, they need so many things that to identify a singular target like a Giannis came closest just because he didn't check all the boxes, but it was well, this is just a clear top ten talent, and so you do it, and that's going to move the needle enough. Otherwise you're probably talking about multiple moves. But it would just be nice on balance to see them get more athletic overall. And I don't I like when you're try and suss out names. That gets a little difficult. And I think part of the reason for that with me is even if Boston made a Derek White available, now, now you're getting older and like, how much have you improved your athleticism? Maybe not enough? But has this team then, like they've not shown a willingness It feels like to part with right the draft compensation or just the assets overall that it would take to even pull off a move like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, they haven't, and that's why I don't think we can anticipate anything of substantial nature because of it. I think that would be presumptuous.
Speaker 1: So maybe they get like they do have. I will say one thing. I will say, they do have lightning in a bottle potential to where if you say, well, if Christops is healthy, Jimmy Butler gets right and Steph is healthy in the playoffs, this isn't a team that I would want to face if they have there, the top of their roster has still a very high end outcome. But it's just the odds of everybody at the top of their roster being available or operating at the peak of their powers when it matters most. It just year over year, it feels as if it gets lower and lower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, And I think that's partly why what I said earlier, that most players are looking at that situation and not saying, oh, yeah, I want to sign up to this. I think a lot are basically avoiding that because they could be looking at a situation where they are trying to rebuild and then they're forced to being traded and then they don't decide their next destination. So, yeah, do.
Speaker 1: You have anything else on any trade targets you think they should go after? Should they be a Zion team?
Speaker 2: Like is that wouldn't hurt rim pressure youth? I mean, those are the two things that you're outlined that I think is like a fair game athleticism as well. If there's an organization that might be able to absorb him, it's them, So I wouldn't hate it. But the question is, what's what's the deal is it? Jimmy?
Speaker 1: I think yeah, I mean financially it has to be I think this point because you resigned Porzingis Draymond opted out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they would be.
Speaker 1: And that's that's what's there's the report that they don't want to trade Jimmy. He's just this. I don't think he's immovable because he's an expiring contract, but the contract is so massive that it's that it's inherently tough to move, and are you you have to find a team that's willing to break it. One, get a player who they're either rerouting or maybe they're negotiating a buy out with, or they're just not getting back until twenty twenty seven, and then they're also willing to send out what like two or three rotation players. Yeah your way? I mean, maybe is this the Memphis consolidation trade? They get the Jimmy Butler contract, but you send the Warriors who you're probably getting off KCP in that deal, or or Jeremy Grant, take your pick. But then it's well, what do the Warriors want off that roster? It's they have they have players that I think would be appealing, But do the Warriors want Jallen Wells? Do they want Cam Spencer? And it's you know, like, what are you willing to give up to get the like, none of those players are even close to even in the aggregate or close to enough for us to feel much better about this team, or even the players I just name them, they're not checking the athleticism box.
Speaker 2: Either, No, exactly, So like, I don't feel as though the Memphis deal, even though it was to materialize, would make them significantly better, although it would improve their debt, But overall, I think this team just it needs something major for the narratives to shift, and I'm just not gonna guess that that's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Do you have did we do it? Did we skip anybody? We should?
Speaker 2: We should?
Speaker 1: I should have counted those while you're talking at one point, But I think we got everyone. I'm looking out here.
Speaker 2: We think we did too.
Speaker 1: Go look at that all thirty teams. Go check out the East if you haven't done so. But morey, you're able just to tell everyone where they can find you and all the work that you do.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you can find my work over at Yahoo Sports and on the NBA podcast, and if you understand Danish, you can find me over at Busser Beater or catch from calling games at Hbomex.
Speaker 1: As always, please If you'd like to support the show Patreon dot com, slash Hardareknox NBA get every episode ad free, as well as some bonus content, access to our discord, discounts on merch other goodies as well mailbag Priority. When we start returning to mail bags. That is it on Maya though, so until next time, and as always, wet the shout out to the one, the only, the player who could solve the problems biggest needs of at least what thirteen of the fifteen teams we just talked at fourteen fourteen and fifteen teams you just talk about mister Frank, the one and only mister Frank Heldina, this small k