Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Sean diddycomm's told the judge it is sex trafficking trial, that he's doing an excellent job. He complimented the judge as he confirmed he will not be testifying. Just one of the stories we're following for you today. What else is going on?
Speaker 2: Time for What's Happening?
Speaker 1: What's Happening brought to you by Trajan Wealth. Trajan Wealth will help you set and achieve your financial goals for retirement.
Speaker 3: Your local trusted financial Fiduciarytrajanwealth dot com.
Speaker 1: A life threatening heat wave is all over the East Coast, hitting cities with the worst of the high temperatures before they get some relief later in the week. It's the first major heat wave of the season from Texas to Maine, the entire Interstate ninety five corridor. If you're familiar, Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC. We mentioned by one o'clock today it had already reached one hundred degrees in New York City at Kennedy.
Speaker 3: The FBI is going to reallocate several thousand agents away from immigration enforcement to focus on cyber threats and counter terrorism efforts. According to sources familiar with the plan, it's been discussing shifting at least a couple of thousand agents away from immigration work to help protect against threats from foreign adversaries, especially Iran, of course, prompted at least in part by the US strikes on Iran's nuclear program.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend, a true crime story that you're going to probably hear a lot more about came to a tragic finish when a woman in the process of getting a divorce in her date were shot and killed outside of sushi restaurant in the Inland Empire over the weekend in Fontana. Then an off duty sheriff's deputy shot and killed the shooter. This was the woman's estrange husband who tracked her down before shooting her in the date in the parking lot. Gloria Zamora is her name. She's forty. She is a social media influencer, a fitness coach, and she spoke about her penning divorce to her thousands of followers just over a week ago on her podcast.
Speaker 2: That's the original story, I saw was.
Speaker 3: Didn't identify the victims, but just said that an off duty sheriff's deputy saw this guy shoot two people and ended up confronting him and shooting and killing him, but we didn't know who it was at the time. A United States Congressman from Georgia, Congressman Buddy Carter has written to the Nobel Peace Prize Committee that he has nominated President Trump for the Nobel Prize and recognition of his role in brokery a cease fire deal between Israel and Iran and preventing the world's largest state sponsor of terrorism from obtaining the most lethal weapon on the planet.
Speaker 2: He wrote on.
Speaker 1: Twitter, you ever climb a tree?
Speaker 2: I've climbed many trees.
Speaker 1: I was actually with Joe Kwan over the weekend. We're walking and with her dog, and I saw a nice tree for climbing. I thought that was a good tree to climb. Luckily I did not climb it, but I wanted to.
Speaker 2: That's a good story about the thing that didn't happen.
Speaker 1: Well, don't you see trees from time to time and you think that would be a good climbing tree, And there's a bit of you, like forty percent of you that is going to go ahead and climb that tree because it looks fun, and then the sixty percent of you wins out like you're a grown ass adult. Do not climb this tree. You'll look like a homeless love.
Speaker 2: To climb tree?
Speaker 1: See anyway, A man in Washington State has been rescued after falling from a tree. I think there may have been a mental health situation going on with him. He was stuck in the woods for days. Apparently somebody called nine one one because they heard a voice in the woods calling for help. When the police arrived, they said they heard a faint, distrustful voice of a man saying he had fallen from a tree. Why how does this reach the news? How is this reached from the police blotder to the national news for ABC News? A man falls from a tree in the woods in Washington.
Speaker 3: Well, there's not a lot that goes on in polls bo So. On the other hand, if you are over near a magic castle early this morning, late last night, early this morning, you may have seen the kerfuffle of the woman who was vandalizing a car stopped by police and handcuffed, put in the back of a police cruiser and then she found a way to get from the back seat to the front seat of that car and took off in the police suv. She didn't go very far, but by the time they located the vehicle at Camros in Paramount, she was gone like a ghost if you will, in handcuffs and raiders outfit. Graiter nation, baby, do not underestimate. And then finally there's a weird story out of France. Police in France say that fourteen people have been arrested and one hundred and forty five people apparently assaulted pricked by syringes.
Speaker 1: What's in the syringes They haven't.
Speaker 2: Said if there was anything in the syringers.
Speaker 1: They said the people get hot flushes, they get dizzy, loss of consciousness, visible marks or bruises on their skin.
Speaker 3: Some were taken to a hospital. They were given saliva, urine and blood samples. Get to give the saliva urine blood samples. They didn't get them to figure out what they had been injected.
Speaker 1: It's a music festival. You kind of got to go to a music festival with the knowledge that you could be attacked with a syringe. Various different things happen at music festivals. Sometimes people have plates of cherries and unidentified liquid and they're offering them to strangers.
Speaker 2: And cherries.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you drink lemon cell about a some stranger's trunk out there? What trunk the trunk of their cars?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I think I'm thinking elephant trunk and I don't know what you're talking about. Just before this music festival, by the way, a French feminist influencer posted on social media a warning that men were threatening to prick women during this nationwide music event. So she knew it was happening. But you're not going to bounce back from that? Oh me, yeah, me, yeah, I'm not the one who needs no bouncing what The Roseanne bar story is also pretty fun?
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. But we're gonna talk to Michael Mounk when we come back, because we talk about we will, we will talk about that. We will talk about that as well. Would you rather talk about that with Michael Monks than, you know, the fiscal emergency in LA. We can totally scare him and just have him on and be like, Okay, so Michael's here to tell us about Roseanne Barr. Oh do you want to do that? No, because he's listening and he'll know he's not listening. Somebody listens to this.
Speaker 2: Also a chance at one thousand bucks coming up.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty man.
Speaker 1: Trump's comments today this morning there on the lawn about they don't know what the f they're doing the NFL memes has really won the day, you know. I mean it works for everything NFL fans. When coaches draw up a wide receiver screen on third and long and then Trump they don't know what the f they're doing, I mean, it works so well. Anyway, a story that we have been following Roseanne Barr claiming that her thought, well, her daughter, who she gave up for adoption and knew her biological mother was in the movies, grew up thinking that her mother was not Roseanne Barr, but that she was Goldie Han. Michael Monks is on the story, joins us now with all the latest.
Speaker 3: I am always here for Goldie Han and Kurt Russell beat told you got the latest for you. Yeah, so overboard stuff, yeah? Or Wildcats? Was that one of the Goldie Han movies?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah?
Speaker 3: And uh, what was she in the military in one of them?
Speaker 2: Private?
Speaker 1: Don't forget about Wives Club with Diane Keaton.
Speaker 2: Forgot about it. It's gone. See you hate Diane Keaton as much as I do.
Speaker 1: You don't like Diane Keaton.
Speaker 2: Oh, she's fine.
Speaker 3: You know. I'm a big Kurb your Enthusiasm fan. And she had a role on it, but she didn't actually do the walk on It was just like her feet a stand in speet, and I had some resentment towards her for not doing the walk. Do you not do a walk on curb?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So I've just harbored that and here we are.
Speaker 3: That's something you could work through, you think, I think, And you don't know me, ma'am.
Speaker 2: I think I can't let that go. Uh all right.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks is actually on the fiscal emergency at LA City Hall well where now they say more than six hundred layoffs are on the table. Well, we talked about this a little bit earlier when we touched on it, because we were talking about the thirty dollars minimum wage for hotel employees at city halls demanding. And then and then the news got worse for LA trying to balance its own budget.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and in fact, it is closely related to what you were talking about the thirty dollars minimum wage mandate for hospitality workers. They've called them at hotels and at airport concessions because you heard some small hotel operators plead with the city council you can't pay your own employees. You're laying folks off, you're planning to anyway, and you're telling us that we have to give our employees raises that we are telling you we cannot afford. So it's directly related to that. The council never budged on that. There's some legal stuff going on. Maybe a ballot measure could be in our near future. If you're an LA resident on that particular issue, it's going to be a big nasty fight between the unions representing hospitality workers and the hotel industry. So we'll see how that goes. But today, as LA's finances continue to be terrible, did you.
Speaker 1: Bring up an excellent point that I am a numbskull for not realizing of the union's role in the whole thing. Of course, the city council members are beholden to the unions. They're gonna do whatever the hell they want.
Speaker 3: The unions are very powerful politically, very much and the one that was pushing for this one to unite here. Local eleven represents the hotel industry and they have a lot of pool at City Hall, and they helped get hotel workers raises just last year and now it's going to go up even higher. But this time also includes some of those small airport businesses. So right now the city has just approved this fiscal emergency declaration. This seems to be something that they need to do as part of the system of preparing for the layoffs. You recall, the city face to a billion dollar budget shortfall as they were navigating the budget process, they closed that gap. Originally about sixteen hundred people were going to lose their jobs. They did save one thousand jobs, but there are still six hundred plus on the table.
Speaker 1: So a declaration is just essentially checking a box on the way to layoff town.
Speaker 3: Basically, this is for the new fiscal year twenty five twenty six, So the fiscal year in municipal governments tend to start on July first and run through June thirty, so technically we're still in the current fiscal year. So this is in preparation of laying folks off. City Controller Kennethy. He has spelled it out who wish departments are going to be hit hardest, the Police department civilians, not the sworn officers. But we did hear the police department's brass say, these aren't just pencil pushers. These are folks that do a lot of important work in the investigation part.
Speaker 2: Of our jobs.
Speaker 3: So two hundred and forty eight of those folks as well as fifty seven out of the personnel department, Sanitation, Fire department losing forty one people as well, and then the list goes on basically every single department. Now there is a process in place at City Hall that they're working to to try to save all of these jobs. It may not necessarily be the role that these folks are currently in, but they've created what they've called the transfer portal, like in college sports in college, exactly where they are trying to Maybe you work in sanitation, but your skills are applicable in another department to save you over into some of those areas. But if you're wondering.
Speaker 1: Where would your skills move, you've got you have a vast variety of skills. You worked at al Playo Loco, you have been a lifeguard.
Speaker 3: I was an exotic dancer for a brief period. Really, yeah, I didn't know about that chapter. You know what, you don't want to hear that part. I didn't say I wouldn't want to hear it. I was going to put a fause on that. What year it was?
Speaker 2: The late sixties?
Speaker 1: No? No, for real, Bobby Sherman, for real.
Speaker 2: I was not an exotic dancer. Was It was a lie? But it is good because I was an actor. You believed it.
Speaker 1: That was an awful lie to tell. I got very excited. I think I can speak for both of us that we got.
Speaker 3: Very excited, different reasons. But yes, never dance exotically will for you during the commercial break? Okay, but I do have one more piece of news. I again to reflect my skills in this current position before I am dancing exotically again, just to make ends meet. You wonder, maybe maybe if you pay attention, you know exactly you know why the city's in the financial straits that it's in. If you don't pay attention, you may be surprised to learn that they're not particularly good at managing their money. They don't even know where a lot of it is going, particularly related to homelessness. But just last week I reported because of these protests against immigration enforcement, the city council voted to loan five million dollars to the police department from their own reserve fund. It's supposed to be paid back somehow to go back in the reserve fund to cover the overtime. Well, they had to boost that today because the total is over twenty two million dollars that they need. So they've already approved five million, and today they had to approve seventeen more. So why is that Because according to the city administrator in this report, we were addressing the funding needed to ensure the laped overtime for the remainder of the fiscal year is covered to avoid any need to bank time. That would be police officers working overtime and not being paid for it right away. So it's because originally they only counted the officers who were directly responding to protest related stuff. But you recalled, there was a city wide tactical alert issued. Every officer who was on duty when that went out had to stay regard if you were in the San Fernando Valley, if you were in San Pedro, And even though all the action was downtown. You were accumulating overtime, and they were like, oh wait, we have to pay for that too, and and and it's triple the original amount that they borrow. That's the type of accounting practices that we're dealing with at the city Hall.
Speaker 2: The smartest always rise to the top.
Speaker 1: Can we get him some music? I stopped listening to the whole budget thing.
Speaker 2: Well, what kind of song do you prefer? Remember?
Speaker 3: My dance song was the one I recommended for you. It's Ragged All by Aerosmith.
Speaker 1: That well you wanted to share, you know.
Speaker 3: Look, it was tough times in the early two thousands. I needed to make a little extra money on Monmouth Street in Newport, Kentucky and Little Vegas.
Speaker 2: It used to be. So give you an idea of what do you think.
Speaker 1: There's a place where you and I at our advanced ages could still go. Yes, you do, Yes, that's nice getting paid. I don't know, not like to support ourselves, but maybe a little pocket change.
Speaker 2: From walking around money later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys, the Burbank Nature Park is two hundred yards that way, you guys could dance out thirty.
Speaker 2: I think we could. I think if you want are you going to become buskers.
Speaker 3: Not only that, I already have it choreographed, so whenever you're ready to start practicing.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of a choreo. I just had an idea, yeah, for.
Speaker 3: A bar where they have exotic dancing and on on Guys Night, we call it make Ends Meet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't think you know how how it works. Yeah, it is probably right.
Speaker 3: That's like boring the ends can meet.
Speaker 1: Do you ever play make Ends Meet with your wife?
Speaker 3: No, I'm happy to explain to you off air how Guys Night really works.
Speaker 5: Oh, hey, guys, Yeah, we just had a little earthquake.
Speaker 3: Oh, let's make I felt it.
Speaker 1: Did you need me?
Speaker 2: No, I don't know.
Speaker 1: They were talking about the movement in their hearts. What what was it?
Speaker 6: Two point seven in the Sherman Oaks.
Speaker 5: Oh, let me explain my daughter, who's at my house right now in the West San Fernando Valley.
Speaker 6: Yes, you've spread the.
Speaker 1: Hysteria to your youth.
Speaker 5: I did, and I said, oh okay, she said yeah, it was one big jolt.
Speaker 2: So now online it wasn't.
Speaker 6: It's two point seven, But people are saying that.
Speaker 5: It was just one jolt and that was it, and the USGS is saying it was a two point seven preliminary magnitude.
Speaker 6: Maybe it was bigger. I don't know, that's just preliminary.
Speaker 1: It didn't feel bigger then.
Speaker 6: You didn't even feel it. No, well, you know what that means. We could have the bigger one later.
Speaker 2: She's always worried about the big one.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 6: Yes, I am Michael.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me, as always always a pleasure from It was a roller coaster to the bitter end.
Speaker 2: Thank you for staying.
Speaker 4: Of course, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: This cease fire between Iran and Israel appears to be holding.
Speaker 2: The deal did falter right away.
Speaker 3: President Trump expressed frustration today with both sides, saying that they've fought for so long and so hard that they don't know what the f they are doing. Israel had earlier accused Iran of launching missiles into its airspace after the truce was supposed to take effect, but the Iranian military denied firing on Israel. But there were, of course explosions and sirens in northern Israel this morning, and Israeli military officials said two Iranian missiles were interrupted.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a murder mystery that really gripped Colorado. It is the murder of Suzanne Morpheu and it's where we kick off True Crime Tuesday.
Speaker 3: The story is true, sounds true, No, it sounds made up.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Barry and Shannon present true.
Speaker 1: So this is the case of a woman in Colorado by the name of Suzanne Morphew who disappeared on Mother's Day. It's always odd when that happens, right, and Lacy Peterson disappear Christmas. Well, this woman disappears on Mother's Day twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Also important to point out that that was deep deep covid.
Speaker 1: Right right to remember the whole lockdown was in effect, certainly in April. I don't know how much Colorado played by the rules, but yes, that is the time that we're talking about. This was a case that right away drew the attention of true crime podcasters across the country. Forty eight hours picked up on it as well. It was everywhere. And now it's back in the news because a grand jury has returned in an indictment charging Barry Morphew, fifty seven years old, with the first degree murder of his wife, Suzanne. Now this is five year years after the fact. This was, in some people's opinions, a cold case, but it seems like they were crossing t's and dotting eyes against the husband this whole time. This is the second time that Barry, the husband, has been charged in the death of his wife. They had to drop the charges in twenty twenty two without prejudice, meaning they could be refiled. Essentially.
Speaker 3: One of the other big keys is this time they have her body and they didn't have her body when they first filed charges in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Now their community, this is in central Colorado. They say it captivated the community of about twenty thousand people. More than fourteen hundred tips. More than seventy officers from the county Sheriff's office, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, and the FBI were involved. And this a lot of work went into this one. You can just see how extensive it was. I mean, just the tips alone with a small town community like that had to just be crazy to sift through. Where did it all start? Well, Suzanne went missing. A neighbor reported her missing to police at about five forty five on Mother's Day, May tenth, twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: The problem is that may have been a day or two or more after she died, Barry told police. Barry, the husband, told police that she was still asleep in bed when he left their home near Salida, Colorado, at about five in that morning five in that morning for a work trip.
Speaker 2: He checked into a hotel that night.
Speaker 3: Investigator said, he spent very little time at the job site during the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, according to the indictment. I actually read the indictment over the weekend because a.
Speaker 2: Lot of fun, A lot of fun time, you are, I know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, according to the indictment, sides two brief visits to the job site area, he wasn't there. Conversely, electronic evidence cameras from the hotel he stayed in and just all the cameras that now surround us in our everyday life, showed him driving to various locations and discarding unknown items in separate trash cans. Ah, he's a heads up right. I saw one of the still images from the hotel hallway camera of him carrying a bag of trash and a pair of shoes, per the indictment. Barry Morfew deleted a text chain on May sixth, so this was four days before she was reported missing on that Mother's Day. He deleted a May sixth text chain with the wife, though a screenshot of one message from her remained, and it read I'm done. I could care less what you're up to and have been for years. We just need to figure this out civilly. So right there in writing, it seems like this marriage is over and has been over for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Again, she's reported missing on May tenth.
Speaker 3: On May ninth was the last known communication via a text message. About two in the afternoon on May ninth, she sent a text message to a guy out of state, to a guy that she may have been having an affair with. A Short time after that, Barry Moore few gets home and his cell phone was turned off for the next eight hours, which is.
Speaker 2: Just that's just unusual.
Speaker 3: Regardless of who you are and how old you are, if you have a cell phone, it's very unusual for you to turn it off nowadays.
Speaker 1: The neighbor called Barry around five pm on Mother's Day told him that his daughters were concerned because they couldn't reach Suzanne on her cell phone all day. He told the neighbor to check the house look for her bike because he knew she was going on a bike ride. Now, when they couldn't find her or the bike, he told the neighbor to call the sheriff at that point. Now, that's odd to me. The daughters, by the way, are adult daughters, and if they couldn't find mom, why wouldn't they call dad? Why would they tell the neighbor. Furthermore, the daughters couldn't reach Mom on her cell phone when they sent her Happy Mother's Day texts? Who texts their mother Happy Mother's Day? That's a phone call you have to make, isn't it? Mom is not going to be That's not going to be sufficient. No, Mom's gonna be pissed off if you send that text.
Speaker 3: Well, they found the officers showed up, the home was locked, Susanna is gone, the bike is gone. They located the bike about a half a mile less than a mile, i should say, from the house and the bike and the helmet, just off of a highway.
Speaker 1: We'll tell you how they put the case together, why they couldn't put this case together right away, and more details about what they think happened to Suzanne.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: The second guy arrested in connection with that Palm Springs fertility clinic bombing has died today, thirty two years old. Daniel Park. This is a guy from Washington State who was accused of providing the bomb making materials to the guy who detonated the car bomb. Died today while in federal custody here in Los Angeles, thirty two years old. He was found unresponsive about seven point thirty this morning. Later died at a hospital. Cause of death not immediately announced. He was charged and arrested earlier this month with providing and attempting to provide material support.
Speaker 3: To a terrorist. We are in the midst of true crime Tuesday. We're telling you the case of Suzanne Morphew, who disappeared on Mother's Day twenty twenty and was never seen again. Her husband, you can imagine, was a person of interest pretty soon into the disappearance. The public later learned that they were having difficulty in their marriage. She may have been having an affair with an old high school classmate. There was something that had come out about that. Seems like the marriage had been over for quite some time. Based on what her text messages to him were yes. So about a year after she disappears, the husband, Barry, is arrested and charged with murder, tampering with physical evidence, attempting to influence a public servant in connection with the death, et cetera. He pleaded not guilty. Charges were dropped without prejudice, which means that they could refile them if they wanted to. But again, they hadn't found her body. They just had a bunch of circumstantial evidence that was curious at best about this guy's behavior.
Speaker 1: Her body wasn't found until three years after she was reported missing. Her remains were found in and around a shallow grave about an hour south of her home. The majority of her bones were recovered and were significantly bleached. They also recovered a cancer port and items of clothing, including biking clothes she was known to wear. But they said that it was unlikely her body decomposed at that site, and that the decomposition was inconsistent with her wearing the bike clothing at the time, so she was dumped there with the bike clothing, which is consistent with the story. He told authorities that he knew she was going out for a bike ride when she was missing. They also found things in her body, a chemical mixture known as BAM. What is that, well, that is animal tranquilizer.
Speaker 3: Buttorphenal as a parent as a parne and medeta to medine.
Speaker 1: Turns out the husband, Barry, used BAM all the time to sedate and transport deer on his farm in Andiana prior to moving to Colorado. He used BAM in Colorado as recently as the month before she disappeared to tranquilize a deer in the breezeway of his home. No other private citizens or private businesses in any of the surrounding counties had purchased BAM from twenty seventeen to twenty twenty. Now when that came through, when whoever did the deep dive of the data and went through all of the receipts or lack thereof of BAM, what a moment. He was the sole person who had access to BAM in the area when she went missing, and her body turns turns up pumped full of it.
Speaker 3: Which again this doesn't a put the murder weapon in his hands or be connect him directly to her disappearance. But you can make us very very strong, circumstantial case, it's still evidence.
Speaker 1: It puts the murder weapon in his hands. In my summation, Well, I mean, but how yet it puts the he's the only person that had access to the weapon that killed her in the state.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, okay, I'll go with that, your honor, I retract my previous question. This guy has an attorney named iris A Ten who defended him in the first trial, and she says of Barry, not only is he a loving father, but he was a loving husband. I've handled thousands of cases that I've never seen prosecutors mishandle a case so recklessly. The case was fumbled so terribly. Three prosecutors were penalized after Barry's case was rightly dismissed. I dedicated the second half of my career to ensure that what happened to Barry doesn't happen to another in This person saying that.
Speaker 1: Bothers me the most is there is a picture of him and his adult daughters, their adult daughters, young adults. Yeah, and they're leaving a court hearing. I'm assuming when the charges were dismissed without prejudice the first time, and they are done up, made up to a t. They are glamed out, They are smiling with their father walking away from the courthouse, And there is nothing in any of the things I read that they came out and said, you know, I loved my mom. Whoever killed my mom? It seems like they there was some sort of weird relationship there with them just texting their mother on Mother's Day, And it seems like the daughters were in freaking cahoots on this one.
Speaker 2: Isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah I thought that as well, not necessarily because the text message on Mother's Day.
Speaker 2: But that's a good point. But I would find it really hard to.
Speaker 3: With all of the circumstantial evidence that was originally brought up against this guy, that you, as a daughter wouldn't have questions. Yeah, you wouldn't have a whole series of questions for your own father about that.
Speaker 1: Also, then well, if it's not him, then who And you don't sleep till you find out who killed your mom?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're gonna hear more about that. Okay, that's excellent, all right, we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: John coppal Joe's up next day. Dry everybody lists you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.