Speaker 1: In March of nineteen eighty nine, a twenty one year old college student traveled to South Padre Island for spring break with some friends and crossed into Madame Rose, Mexico. Like thousands of others, the days were spent on the beach and the nights were spent moving between crowded bars holding parties just across the border. After a few days, that was their routine. It was everything they imagined for their spring break. Then, in the early hours of March fourteenth, after leaving the bars and heading back to their hotel, he was separated from his friends briefly in the crowds and then disappeared. At first, it didn't seem urgent, but as those minutes turned into hours and hours into days, it became clear that this wasn't a simple case of someone just getting lost, and soon what began as a fun filled spring break vacation quickly turned into a disappearance tied to drug trafficking and ultimately a satanic ritual killing. This is the story of Mark Kilroy.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcast. The following podcast material more mature audience listeners. It's official. We're hooked on pick a ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I pretty much want to go and play every single day.
Speaker 1: Right. It's addicting. And I don't know if it's just because like we're aging and so pick a ball is more appealing to us, or if it's actually just legitimately a fun game, but either way, I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
Speaker 2: It's damn fun. But every time we've been playing, it's been like quite a diverse range of ages that are also on the court, oh for sure. So it's so interesting because I think it used to be kind of classified as you know, like a retirement hobby or sure sporked or whatever.
Speaker 1: A retiree sort of situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but now it's it just seems like all ages.
Speaker 1: I guess it does because we were out at the courts, Like last time, we were out pretty early, so all like the retiree ages were out there. But then we've been out there before and us and us the retiree ages, like I said, no, I'm just kidding, we're not retiring. We're not even forty almost. But the time before that, there was like a lot younger people there, like mid twenties and stuff, and they were having like a big group out. It's it's just a fun game, and I think it's blown up and being really popular strictly on the fact that it's just that a fun game.
Speaker 2: It's easy, it's easy just to show up and you have this little court too. I feel like tennis is a little bit daunting where you, I don't know, just have like this way bigger surface area, and I feel it takes longer to develop tennis skills, yeah, than it does pickle ball skills.
Speaker 1: Well, I think what it is is beginner pickleball is easier than beginner tennis.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's it. Yeah, well, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yes, because of the smaller court, the lighter ball, that sort of thing. It's almost just like playing a large version of ping pong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's pretty awesome. We might go and play later.
Speaker 1: We might, although we got to do our dishes from last night or sink is fall right now, uh huh, don't judge us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got a lot going on. Chickens are being menaces, so.
Speaker 1: It's a grit old time.
Speaker 2: We'll see if we have time. I know, right, Oh, rooster, just grow, You're gonna hear a lot of rooster crows this episode. I'm just gonna warn you. I'm just gonna put out there because I just separated a little hen and they're not gonna be happy about that.
Speaker 1: So she needs some heal in time. She's got a little bit of a peck injury.
Speaker 2: But just chickens or assholes.
Speaker 1: But sometimes we get comments that you guys don't hear the roosters. So yeah, thankfully you don't hear the roosters because they can be obnoxious. But yeah, now I do got to do a little thank you to some Patreon people.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was like, you're there's no segue there for you.
Speaker 1: Oh, I could have I could have tried, or I could have figured something out. I just, you know what, I've been trying really hard last little while, so I'm probably just gonna just go into it for a little take a break, a little bit of a break, and relax.
Speaker 2: That's fair that.
Speaker 1: Way, you know, when you're least expecting it, I can go right back into, you know, set the proper segues. But for now, I just got to think are awesome patrons like Amelia Avery t Swift eighty nine and Christian Oh, I'm not going to get your name. I'm just gonna call you Christian. I cannot do your last name, Miko led Ja Zack. I'm sorry, Christian, but thank you Christian. No Miko lad Ja Zack. It's Mikola and then j c z a k okay Ja Zack. Maybe Mikola Jazak.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe they can let us know if you're close.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't know. I have a feeling I was way off. But thank you guys very much for signing up over in a Patreon. Just because I can't pronounce your name doesn't mean you don't mean a lot to us. You really do. Your support goes a long way, So thank you so much.
Speaker 2: It's not like this is a new thing around here.
Speaker 1: No, I think we've built a reputation on mispronouncing names at this point. I think it's just expected if I'm honest.
Speaker 2: Probably yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I also do want to say one other thing. Today's episode should be a two parter.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you're not.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing it through. We're going through in one fell.
Speaker 2: Swoop, so it's going to be a doozy. Yes, there is an episode.
Speaker 1: There is a lot in this episode, so you might need to buckle up your seat belts. I'm guessing this episode is going to be somewhere in the vicinity of an hour and ten to an hour and twenty minutes long. That's my guess.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I bet it's going to be longer.
Speaker 1: It might be even longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Well, I think if it's if we do a lot of chatting and discussing on things, it could definitely be up to an hour and a half. But if we are pretty quick on some of the stuff we don't have a whole lot to discuss, then it might be on the shorter side of closer to an hour and ten.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's hear all about it and see see what's going on.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well. Mark Kilroy was twenty one years old in March of nineteen eighty nine. He was a junior at the University of Texas, and he was already working hard towards his future in medicine. He was studying pre med, keeping his grades steady while preparing for the MCAT, which is the medical college admission test, and he was balancing that with a life that was just as active outside the classroom too. See. He liked to play sports, and he kept himself in shape. Friends described him as being reliable, the kind of person who showed up when he said he would be there, and he didn't drift into any sort of trouble or anything. He grew up in Santa Fe, Texas, in a close knit family that stayed involved in his life even after he left for college, and he wasn't someone who moved aimlessly through life. He was pretty structured. In fact, by the time he reached his early twenties, he already had his path laid out. He was going to finish school, get into medical training, and build a career. The people around him didn't just see potential, they actually saw someone actively moving towards it. So it wasn't just that potential in him, it was already in the process of being achieved. With Mark, though, there wasn't anything reckless about him. He wasn't known for taking unnecessary risks or pushing any sort of boundaries just to see what would happen. When he went out with his friends. He stayed within the same limits that he always did, and perhaps that's part of what made what happens next so difficult to understand for the people closest to him, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, so first we need to talk about March tenth, nineteen eighty nine. On this day, Mark had left Texas with a group of his friends from college and they were headed towards South Padre Island for spring break. This island is located at the southernmost tip of Texas on the east coast and is right near the border of Mexico. It was a long drive down there, and it was slowed by heavy fog in times of the evening and stuff, but it was nothing out of the ordinary or anything, and by the time they arrived the next day of March eleventh, they checked into their hotel, They unpacked and settled into what would become a routine for the next few days. During the day, it was exactly as you'd expect. The beach was packed with students from across the country, all partying, drinking, relaxing and taking advantage of the break from school. The music was turned up loud, alcohol was all over in thin plastic cups, and there were crowds everywhere. It was loud, busy, and probably exactly what you picture in your head. It was something straight out of like a two thousand's coming of age comedy movie sort of thing. Now at their location near the border, it made for fun for the group to start crossing the border into Madameros, Mexico. It was pretty common to do so. Actually, thousands of students were doing the very same thing. There's a bridge between Texas and Madame Rose and it became a steady stream of people moving back and forth, drawn in by cheaper drinks and packed bars and a night life scene that felt bigger and less controlled than anything on the United States side. So once across the bridge, the streets there were crowded. They were tight packed, noisy, and full of movement. It was essentially the beach life, but now packed into the streets. Bars lined the roads. People were spilling in and out with music overlamping from one place to the next, and drinks were cheap, and it didn't take much for the night life to get out of hand. For Mark and his friends, this quickly became their pattern. They spent the days on South Padre, crossed into Madame Morose at night, hit a few bars, and then made their way back across the bridge into the early morning hours. By the time they crossed into Madame Morose. For the second and third night, the routine was locked in. They knew where to go, how to move through the crowds, and how to get back across the bridge without thinking too much about it. In fact, I'm sure they were a little intoxicated even and could do so even in that state. The streets were still packed with thousands of students moving between bars. The crowds were shoulder to shoulder, pushing through narrow stretches of roads lined with musics and flashing lights. It was loud, messy, and as people drank heavily, they were drifting in and out of groups and losing track of time. Inside the bars, though it was even tighter than the streets. They'd go inside, and places like Lost Sombreros in the London pub were filled wall to wall. There wasn't much space to move as people were pressed up against each other, shouting over music, ordering drinks, and trying to stay with their friends while the crowd shifted around them. In honesty, it didn't take much to get separated, even just for a few minutes. On the evening of March thirteenth, Mark moved through all this the same way he did the previous nights in that routine they were settling into. He stuck with his group, went from one place to the next, and kept the same rhythm that he had already established. He wasn't wandering off, he wasn't acting differently from anyone else there. He was just enjoying the time. By the early morning hours of March fourteenth, the night was starting to wind down. It was around two am when Mark and his friends left the bars and began to head back towards the bridge that would be taking them once again to Texas. The streets were still crowded, but the energy had shifted. People were drunk, they were tired, and they were filtering out, moving in loose groups trying to find their way back. Mark was walking with his friends. He was staying close as they moved through the noise in the traffic of people, and at some point along the way, he ended up just slightly behind his group of friends. Now this wasn't a major separation. I'm talking just a couple steps at best. They reached an area near the bridge and his friends stepped off to the side, just briefly, just away from the crowd. Now the reason isn't clear. Perhaps someone needed to tie their shoelace or just use the bathroom on not exactly certain, but what we do know is it was supposed to be quick because Mark stayed where he was, just waiting there for them to come back so they can go over to the bridge. And while he stood there in the crowd, a man approached him. The interaction was normal. It was just two people talking in the middle of the crowded street. There was nothing about it that even drew any sort of attention. Now, within a couple of minutes, his friends came back, but Mark he was gone. He'd completely disappeared. At first, it didn't immediately register as something serious. In that environment, with people all over the place, and people are intoxicated in lights and music and bars and drinks, all this sort of thing, people get separated. It's very easy. And it's also easy to assume that he had maybe walked ahead or gone back with someone else that he knew, or ran into, or maybe taken a different r back towards the bridge. Who knows. It was a plethora of reasons. So Mark's friends continued back towards the bridge and eventually crossed into Texas without him, expecting that they would you find him already back at the hotel, or he would show up shortly after they did. When they arrived at the hotel, they waited for him, but he wasn't walking through the door, And as more time passed without any sign of him, the concern began to set in. Mark wasn't someone who had a habit of disappearing on his own or acting unpredictably in any way. He was already known for being very reliable. There was nothing about him that would suggest that he had acted in some sort of weird way or leave without telling anyone. So after a bit of a discussion, his friends decided to go back out and start looking for him. Now by this point, it was early morning and the crowds had begun to really thin out, but there were still enough people moving through the area that it wasn't completely empty. They retraced the roots that they had take and they returned to the bars that they'd been in. They'd asked anyone that they could if they had seen Mark, but no one had any sort of clear answer. No one had noticed anything. We're talking about places where thousands of people had been moving through the same space just hours earlier. Mark had blended in so seamlessly. If you go up and ask a bartender had you seen this one certain individual, he couldn't tell you a single face out of that entire crowd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one person is most likely not going to stand.
Speaker 1: Out, exactly. It's a needle in a haystack. So he Mark had disappeared without leaving any sort of you know, trail or anything that would point where he'd gone to.
Speaker 2: I do like gone that they went out right away to look for him, though, Hey that they didn't just oh like he'll show up, we'll go to bed and he'll be here in the morning or whatever.
Speaker 1: They went right away exactly, which is great. Now, I also want to point out it's likely they were intoxicated too, So the fact that they were tired, intoxicated and still going out after yeah, to look for him, major props to that group of friends was hitting now. By the time the morning had fully set in, it was clear that this was no longer a situation that could be explained by a simple separation. There had been no contact, no sighting, and no indication that he made his way back across the border, even or even to the hotel, and at that point his friends reported him missing, and the situation shifted from all this confusion into a formal search with local authorities. But the response in those early hours, unfortunately, was far from urgent, and part of the reason for that was well, at the time, Madame Morose saw a steady flow of spring break tourists crossing the border every single night, and it wasn't uncommon for people to get separated from their groups, you know, staying out longer than expected, or leave with someone they had just met. Perhaps, so because of that, the initial assumption from law enforcement was that this was likely just another case of a student who simply lost track of time, you know, someone who maybe he was off having a fleing with someone he had just met.
Speaker 2: But to the group of friends, they know that wasn't him exactly.
Speaker 1: But still the police are like, well, maybe he'll just wander back soon, smelling of booze and sex and have a story to tell with his friends sort of thing.
Speaker 2: But my gosh, his.
Speaker 1: Friends in the meantime are just shaking their head like, no, that's that doesn't sound like him. Yeah, So that assumption shaped the early response. There was no immediate large scale search and no urgent mobilization. Instead, the case was treated as something that would likely just resolve itself once Mark reappeared again. However, from the perspective of his friends, it didn't match the situation. They knew his habits, they understood that disappearing without contact it just wasn't Mark, and as the hours turned into a full day with no sign of him, the pressure began to build. With Mark's whereabouts unknown, Soon his parents were contacted and quickly they made their way to the area, and their arrival brought a much different sense of urgency than what had initially been shown. From that point forward, the search became much more organized. A task force was soon put together, involving both US and Mexican authorities, and efforts began to expand beyond simply waiting for him to turn up again. Flyers were printed and distributed by the hundreds and I believe even the thousands, if I'm not mistaken, covering the streets in both sides of the border. His photo was shared widely and a reward was offered in the hope that someone might come forward with any sort of information. Volunteers joined the search, and the case began to gain attention beyond the immediate area. Despite the increased attention, though the investigation itself struggled to produce anything concrete. Tips started pouring in from both sides of the border. Some were based on vague sightings, others on secondhand information, and many couldn't be verified at all. Investigators followed what they could, but each lead required time, and most of them ended the same way, a dead end. And to top it all off, there was still no physical evidence, no confirmed witness who could describe what had happened, and no clear direction to focus on. So media coverage increased more and Mark's disappearance began reaching authorities outside the immediate region too. His photo was circulating more broadly, and cash reward of about a fifteen thousand dollars reward was offered for information leading to his whereabouts, which brought additional response from the public, and with that attention came pressure on law enforcement to produce answers and on the family, who were now dealing with the public visibility. In fact, one of the most difficult moments during this period came when the family received a call from someone claiming to have Mark. The caller said he was alive and demanded money in exchange for his return. Now, this call introduced a very new possibility that he had been taken and could still be recovered, but it also came with a massive risk. Acting on it meant responding quickly without knowing if the claim was legitimate, but still they had to act so soon. Arrangements were made to meet and money was brought as well as it was instructed. But when the meeting took place, it became clear that the call had been a scam and the person responsible had no connection to Mark in any way and had just taken advantage of the situation to try and cash in.
Speaker 2: H that's a piss off. It also taken advantage of the parents' emotions exactly thinking oh, man, like, okay, we're gonna get our son back, because I can't imagine this would be a very easy time for them.
Speaker 1: No, it would be tough.
Speaker 2: And then they're just like, oh, just kidding, We're just an asshole.
Speaker 1: Basically, And the next sentence I literally have written is so Ultimately it led to a dead end at the cost of their emotional turmoil. So yeah, exactly what you're saying. It's brutal, and you got to be a real douche canoe to try and cash in on that. Now, that moment reinforced reality where the investigation stood. Despite the number of people involved, despite the level of attention it was getting, and the amount of effort being put into the search, there was still nothing that pointed clearly to what had happened. The case had grown in scale, but it hadn't moved forward in any sort of meaningful way. They were just still at square one, and that was it. Nearly every reliable option had been explored without producing a single result. The lack of progress wasn't due to a lack of effort. It was due to a lack of usable information. There were no confirmed suspects, or reliable witnesses, or physical evidence tying Mark to any specific location after he was last seen. Investigators were working with a timeline that ended so abruptly, and everything beyond that was just uncertain. Now. While the search tried to move forward from this, there was an entirely separate reality unfolding just outside of Madame Morose that no one involved in the investigation had connected. Yet. It wasn't hidden in a way that made it invisible, though. It was hidden because no one was looking in the right place, and no one had a reason to and at the center of it all was a man named Adolpho Costanzo. Now, Adolpho had been born in Miami in nineteen sixty two, but his upbringing moved between the United States and Mexico. From an early age, he was exposed to spiritual practices tied to Afro Caribbean religions, particularly Palo Mayambi, which is a religion that had focused on the connections of spirits of the dead. Now that exposure didn't start as something violent. The belief system itself as it exists traditionally is not built around harm. But over time Udolpho began to reshape it into something else, something that served his own goals rather than the original structure of the religion, which is something many corrupt individuals do with their religion in fact, but I digress.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: By the time he was in his late teens and early twenties, he had already started building a reputation around himself. He presented himself as someone who could see things that others couldn't, offering readings, rituals, and spiritual guidance. At first, that drew in people looking for direction or reassurance, including individuals with money and influence. Now what made him effective though, wasn't just belief, was also information. See, he really paid attention. He listened carefully, and he used what he learned to make his predictions seem accurate, and that built trust very quickly. Now, as his reputation grew, the type of people around him began to change. He started attracting individuals connected to criminal activity, including drug traffickers operating in northern Mexico. For them, the appeal wasn't exactly abstract to say, instead, it was more practical. See, they wanted protection, They wanted to avoid law enforcement and rival groups and move their operations without any sort of interference. And Adolpho well, he framed himself as someone who could provide that blending ritual and real world and their awareness together. Now he used information that he gathered, sometimes through corrupt connections, to reinforce the idea that what he was doing was working. And at the core of his practices was something known as I'm probably gonna get this wrong. I'm going to do my best. Here an ganga which is a ritual vessel used in Palo MAYAMBEI. Now traditionally this naganga it serves as a spiritual focus point. It's often you know, like a metal pot or something similar, and it would contain various materials or components that are meant to represent different forces in the world. But under Adolpho, it became something else entirely. He began adding something else to it, something much more morbid remains, claiming that it increased its power during these rituals.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, this okay, this is just getting like kind of weird. I guess this is dark and scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So the idea that he pushed was very dark, but very simple when you listen to it. See, the more that this niganga was fed, the stronger the ritual would become, and the more protection that it could offer. So people around him, those who depended on him for that protection or belief in what he was doing, they gradually were pulled into this darker shift. So instead of you know, having traditional herbs or idols or different things, he started putting greater things into it. And mind you, this didn't all happen at once. It escalated over time.
Speaker 2: It was a gradual escalation.
Speaker 1: Exactly, So each step was building on the last, making the next one easier to accept well.
Speaker 2: I mean, if they just believed him right off the bat, they probably would have thought he was like that crazy exactly. He just kind of like progressed the level that he was going to try with them, and they're like, yeah, yeah, let's give it a go.
Speaker 1: Yep, just onto the next, on to the next. You nailed it. Now, by the time Adolpho began attracting people connected to drug trafficking, he was no longer operating as a loan figure offering spiritual guidance, though his initial readings and small rituals had evolved into something else. There was a group with a clear hierarchy and people who depended on him not just for the belief, but for direction and protection. To put it simple, Adolpho now had formed a cult. It started with animal remains, but the next step was to use human remains. However, they were ones that were already buried. Members of the group began digging up graves and removing bones, which were then incorporated into this naganga, with Adolpho saying was of course necessary escalation, telling his followers that you know, the more it was fed, the more effective it would become. So at that point the people around him began to accept the idea of using these human remains. First it was the standard components, then into animal parts, and then into human parts, and once the boundary was crossed into human parts, the transition into killing directly became possible. Now, the first victims were not random by any means. They were people connected to the drug trade itself, you know, rivals or individuals that they saw as threats, or people whose disappearances wouldn't immediately draw attention. I'm sure we all have an idea on drug traffickers and all this sort of stuff that goes on behind the scenes and how people can get killed and everything. Those are the individuals that they're selecting, and these ritualistic killings or sacrifices, because that's exactly what they were. They were justified within the group as being a necessity. And as time went on the frequency of these rituals they began increasing, because that's exactly what Adolpho did. He kept stepping it up. It started as occasional acts, but soon they were being more and more regularly done, and each time it happened, it became less difficult for the group to carry out the next one. Because the process was no longer something that needed to be debated or explained. It was just part of how the group operated now now. One of the most important figures to come along in this period was someone by the name of Sarah Aldaughtre. She was a college student at the time. She was very educated, She was disciplined, and outwardly there was no difference from her to anyone else her age. Her connection to Udolpho, though, began through people already tied to drug operations, and from there her role expanded very quickly. Within a short period of time, she became one of his closest followers, eventually taking on a leadership position within the cult itself. She had helped organize things, reinforce the belief, and even brought others into the system Around them, a smaller inner circle began to form. Some of the members were directly connected to drug trafficking networks, including individuals tied to the Hernandez family, which was already involved in smuggling operations near the Texas border. Others came in through different paths that were drawn out in the same structure. Once they were exposed to Adolpho's influence, and what connected them was a shared belief that what Adolpho was offering worked. Now, the control inside this group wasn't maintained through one method alone. It relied on a combination of belief, fear, and dependency, which if you look at any sort of cult are very common factors. Now, Adolpho positioned himself as someone who had access to power that others didn't even begin to understand, and he created an environment where questioning him wasn't just discouraged, it was in fact dangerous. And as the group became more involved in his rituals, they also became more committed to protecting him and each other, because stepping away would mean exposing what they had already been taking part in. That dynamic made the group tighter and more isolated as time continued to pass. Their activities were centered around locations that could be controlled, including a ranch outside Madame Morose known as Rancho Santa Elana, which functioned as part of a drug operation as well as storage, but within the group it served as a second purpose. It became a place where the rituals themselves were carried out, away from attention, in an environment where they could operate without interruption. Now, by this point, the structure was fully established. Adolpho was at the top, directing both the belief system and the actions that came out of it. Sarah Aldrette operated directly underneath him, reinforcing that whole structure and helping him him managed the group. The rest of the members they followed, each playing a role that kept the system functioning. Now, by early nineteen eighty nine, the pattern of violence inside the group had already been concretely established, but it wasn't satanic, to say the least. Even though the title of all this is satanic, it's not technically satanic. It's kind of satanic adjacent. However, Adolpho continued to push for escalation, and with that came a shift in what he believed the rituals required. Up to that point, most of the victims had been people connected to the drug trade or individuals whose disappearance wouldn't immediately attract widespread attention, and those killings both had a practical purpose and a ritual one. They removed perceived threats within the drug trade, and they were used to reinforce the belief that the group was being protected. But at some point leading up to March that all changed, because Adolpho began telling members of the group that the protection they were relying on needed to extend beyond Mexico alone, and his explanation was tied directly to how he framed the rituals themselves. See, he claimed that if the sacrifices were limited to local victims, then the protection would also be limited to local boundaries.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. And just whatever he says is just like word right, Like he's exactly God to these people essentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or he's at least connected to gods of sorts that they don't understand. So yeah, what he says is golden.
Speaker 2: Holy frick. And he's just I don't know. You have to wonder. It's like, is he just having fun with this or is he.
Speaker 1: So caught up in his own shape.
Speaker 2: And he just truly believes all this shit too. I mean, I think it's the latter. I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no idea. It's so hard to say. Now. In order to extend that protection across the border into the United States, where their operations also had exposure, he claimed they needed a different kind of victim. Specifically, he claimed they needed an American citizen. More than that, he even described the type of person he was looking for directly, according to multiple accounts from those who were later arrested, he instructed the group to find a white male, someone who fit the profile of a college student crossing into Madamero's during spring break. The reasoning he gave was that the value of the sacrifice was tied to the person themselves, and choosing the right victim would increase the strength of the ritual. This was no longer just a suggestion, it was a requirement for it, and so members of the group began looking for someone who matched that description. So, as we know, thousands of students crossed into the city during spring break. They were drinking, they were moving in large crowds and separating from their group without much awareness of what was really happening around them, and for them it was honestly like a walking buffet of victims. In fact, they had already even attempted to take other individuals earlier that very same night, but they had failed. The conditions were in their favor, for sure, but they were also very unpredictable, and pulling someone away from a crowd without drawing attention required timing. But still they continued to watch, moving through the same streets as everyone else, blending in with the environment that they were using to just try and find a victim.
Speaker 2: I hate that you called it a buffet.
Speaker 1: But for them, that's essentially what it was.
Speaker 2: I know it's perfect description, but it's just like, oh, I don't like that at all.
Speaker 1: I know, I feel you.
Speaker 2: That's really quite intense. I don't know, its just intensified it for me.
Speaker 1: I guess, well, the way I worded it like that, the reason was because it makes them seem more like predators, which is exactly what they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Humans, I mean, people like this celebrating in streets for spring break. They should not be a buffet. But the way these people were looking at them, that's what they were, with their buffet of victims for ritualistic sacrifices. Yeah. And so it was a matter of trying to find the perfect one under Adolpho's description and what he wanted, you know, a white college student male, and then finding the moment where they could actually get.
Speaker 2: Him without it being alarming to everyone around exactly.
Speaker 1: So now imagine this. You're in a crowded street with thousands of people all around you, and you just try and just grab someone and haul them away. It's going to draw attention fast. Yeah, So you can't just do that, No, you can't. Now, from the perspective of Mark's friends, the people around them that night were just part of the very same crowd they were in. You know. Other students are locals or even just strangers passing by and probably annoyed with all the spring break crowds. But I'd digress. And by the time Mark was standing near the bridge in the early morning hours of March fourteenth, the people who had been watching the crowds, they had already identified him. He matched exactly what they were looking for. He was young, American and separated just enough from the group to be vulnerable, but not so isolated that anything about it looked unusual, because remember, he's waiting there as his friends went off to the side. It's often described that they ducked into an alley for a moment. I'm not exactly sure if it was beside an alley in an alley what exactly they were doing. Someone probably just had to take a leak, if I'm honest, But they stepped off to the side while Mark stood there waiting, and then that's when they approached him. One of the men simply walked up to him and struck up a conversation. Now, this is a crowded area, and people were constantly interacting, you know, asking questions, making comments, trying to get attention, bumping into each other, excuse me, oh I'm sorry, Oh I like your shirt. Oh what a party. All these sort of things are going on. And what happened in those first moments didn't look different from any of those other brief interactions happening right around them. But at some point during that interaction was directed towards a vehicle. Now, accounts differ slightly on how forceful that moment was, but what is consistent is that Mark ended up inside a truck somehow. Whether it was through deception, intimidation, or maybe a mix of both, what we don't. What we do know is that the result was the same. He no longer had the ability to walk away, and he was inside the truck, And once the vehicle pulled off, the situation changed immediately. At some point during the drive, Mark made an attempt to escape. He managed to get out of the truck. Knowing that this was not right, he broke free, He got out, and he made a run for it. But it didn't last. A second vehicle, which had been involved in the abduction to moved in and cut him off, and soon he was swarmed and forced back inside the truck once again.
Speaker 2: Ah shit, so he was fighting.
Speaker 1: He was now in this situation. One detail comes up repeatedly in accounts of what happened next, and it's at least briefly, he believed that the people involved with the second vehicle pulling up were law enforcement, whether they presenting themselves or something like that in some way that they were police officers, or whether it was just an assumption based on the situation or I don't know, but it affected his reaction, and instead of continuing to run as soon as this vehicle cut him off, he stopped.
Speaker 2: Oh because he thought they could help him.
Speaker 1: He thought he could be saved. Oh no, And in that brief moment when he stopped thinking that vehicle could be authorities, it removed his only real chance to get away, and from there he was restrained, put back in the vehicle, and taken out of the city.
Speaker 2: Holy frick, that's brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the thing is, though it could have actually been law enforcement, potentially like corrupt law enforcement or something like you don't.
Speaker 1: Know for sure, don't know for sure. Now it's funny you say that too, because at the very end of this there is someone who gets charged who was involved in law enforcement.
Speaker 2: H Well, yeah, because I don't know. You have to be careful sometimes in countries like that, right, And I think that that I could understand it being a law enforcement person and him literally thinking he was about to be saved, and then there were also involved in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to think of that. And like with Mexico, like Mexico is a great place, great country, great people, but there is that, like there's cartel there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be scary. Like you you're warned to be cautious.
Speaker 1: Yea, right, and cartel they have their hands in a lot of places, including law enforcement. It's known. So you're very much so right, you have to be careful. People are warned when they go down there. Now we don't know if it was law enforcement involved in the situation. It's just purely speculative from our point, but it is possible that, you know what, maybe it was a law enforcement vehicle. Maybe that's why he stopped. Maybe he did think he was safe because of how you know, the situation was perceived in front of him.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, here are you thinking that you have a potential chance? And then I just can't even imagine the realization and devastation that would come after realizing oh shit, like, no, I'm not going to be safe, like I'm in the same predicament.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, Once he was in the vehicle, he was then drove to the Rancho Santa Alana, which took them away from the crowded streets and into a very isolated area where there were no witnesses and no chance of any sort of interruption. The ranch sat outside of Madame Morose and was already being used by the group for both drug related activity and ritual practices. According to later statements from those involved, he was brought into a structure on the property and he was tied up and restrained. At that stage, there was still no immediate attempt to kill him. Instead, he was kept there for a period of time, and one of the individuals at the ranch, described as a caretaker, brought him food and water. He was given something to eat when basic needs while being told that nothing was going to be happened to him, But of course that reassurance didn't reflect the reality of the situation. The timeline places him at the ranch through the remainder of March fourteenth and into the early parts of March fifteenth. During that time, Adolpho was made aware that the group had brought in a victim who matched exactly what he had been asking for. And when Adolpho arrived it was about twelve hours after Mark had initially been kidnapped. From there, they were ready to perform the ritual, and they had Mark to be their sacrifice. They started by wrapping his face and mouth with duct tape, and they led him through a field into a storage cabin on the property with his hands still bound and tied behind his back. Through the rest of the night of March fifteenth, Adolpho tortured and sodomized Mark repeatedly, all for the sake of this ritual. Then eventually he was led out to the nearby field, and that is where Adolpho killed Mark. He took a large machete in his hand, lifted it high in the air, and brought it down with all his force onto the back of Mark's neck. Now, one thing I'm not certain is if Mark was killed on the first strike or if it was multiple strikes, but either way, Mark was dead and after doing this enough to remove his head, it was then placed in the Naganga nad well, I believe his entire head was placed in it. What we do know is that his brains were boiled in the naganga. Oh my gosh, I assume his head was placed in and his brains were boiled that way.
Speaker 2: This is just unbelievable. I cannot even imagine, just the fear. And I also didn't expect there to be torture for some reason. I kind of thought that it would just like they need his body, so it'd be just like a quick death. So the fact that they also tortured him and stuff like that is I don't know, it's just really unsettling.
Speaker 1: Like this is just it is and whatever. For whatever reason Adolfo is framing this is all necessity for the ritual. For whatever reason, sodomy has to be part of a ritual sacrifice.
Speaker 2: Which just makes no sense, no.
Speaker 1: But for he's able to frame it in certain ways that his followers, his people who are hiring him, all these individuals believe that he's right and it's necessary for their protection, for their drug trafficking he is.
Speaker 2: Just a disgusting piece of shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, However, after his brains were boiled with other components for this ritual, there was more that was done to Mark still. Mark's legs were then chopped off above his knees in preparation for burial, and a wire was then forcefully inserted into his spinal column so that once his body had decomposed after burial in the soil, his bones could then be pulled up easily, all in one piece.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So they're essentially stringing together each disc, each spinal vertebrae with a wire, so once he's decomposed enough, they can just bring it up and have a wire string of his spine.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this poor kid. Holy frick.
Speaker 1: Then, after the ritual was complete, the members of the cult then dug a hole in the property and buried Mark's remains, along with others who had also been killed before him. The ranch at that point already contained multiple burials, and his remains were placed among them. There was no attempt to move him elsewhere or hide the body in a separate location. It was there on this ranch where he stayed. But of course, from the perspective of the investigation. At the time, none of this was known. Mark was still considered a missing person and the search was still focused on the last place that he had been seen. For more than two weeks, the investigation into Mark's disappearance had produced nothing that could move it forward. There were no sightings, there was no physical evidence, and no connection to any specific location beyond the point where he had last been seen. Then on April first, nineteen eighty nine, that changed. That day, law enforcement in the area had set up a routine checkpoint outside of Mademiros as part of ongoing efforts to monitor drug activity moving through the region, and so vehicles were being stopped, vehicles were being searched as they'd all passed through. One of the vehicles approaching the checkpoint, however, it was driven by a man named Saraphin Hernandez, a member of the group connected to Rancho Santa Elana, and instead of slowing down for the traffic stop, he decided he wasn't going to stop. He was going to drive straight through instead.
Speaker 2: Because that always works in it.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what I have written next, because I knew this is where you were going to land. Now, that obviously sounds like a really stupid move. I knew that's what you were going to think. I think so too, And don't get me wrong, it definitely is a stupid move. However, you have to think from his perspective. At this point, he's thinking it's not a dumb move because remember, this group believes that these rituals performed by a dolfo are basically making them untouchable. These rituals are protecting them from things like law enforcement. So he specifically believed that he could just drive through this traffic stop basically without being stopped, followed, recognized, or anything, and he get away scott free because of the rituals performed.
Speaker 2: Basically that he was just invisible.
Speaker 1: To them pretty much, that there was some magical spell.
Speaker 2: Protecting what's that thing from Harry.
Speaker 1: Potter or the cloak of invisibility?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that. He just had that on him and he was good to go.
Speaker 1: Yep. So clearly that belief is obviously ridiculous. There's no invisibility cloak, there's no per spell protecting him or anything. And rather than abandoning the situation or attempting to stop the vehicle, the officers made a very interesting decision. They decided well, we're not going to just pull this guy over, we're going to follow him. We're going to go see where he's going instead.
Speaker 2: Okay, I kind of like that. That's interesting.
Speaker 1: So this guy thinking he's just untouchable, there's no way police can follow him because you know what, I've got a spell on me.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: He just kept going and officers were carefully tailing the vehicle.
Speaker 2: And led them to exactly where they wanted to.
Speaker 1: Be, and he drove them right off the main road towards a more isolated area outside the city, and the root he was taking was right towards Rancho Santa Elana. So when the vehicle finally stopped with the ranch, law enforcement moved in. What they found at first was consistent with drug activity, you know, a large scale operation with massive quantities of marijuana, firearms, and equipment associated with trafficking operations. But as they secured the area and began to look a little bit into this became more clear there was more to this location than just a drug operation. Now, mind you, they're not doing a full in depth search here yet. This is just surface level, but there are structures in the property that contained items that were associated with ritual practices, bones, these pots and knives or daggers materials suggesting something else was taking place there now. On April first, Hernandez was soon taken into custody along with others who were present who were present sorry at the ranch, and once in custody, the situation began to change extremely fast. Under questioning, members of the group started to talk and provided information about what had really been happening on the property, and that information included references to the cult rituals, to the killings, and to the use of human remains. And among those statements was a detail that connected everything back to the case that had been unresolved at this point for weeks. Investigators were told that an American had been brought to the ranch for the rituals. Now, that was the very first time that Mark Kilroy's disappearance was directly linked to this very specific location, and the search in that moment shifted immediately. They're at first thinking, okay, you know, this is just a big drug bust operation. And on Mark search side, there had no sort of headway or any direction to go, and all of a sudden it collided with we have murders and an American person whose remains are allegedly on this property, and it blew up both sides of the investigation. What started as a simple checkpoint related to drug reinforcement, well, it became the turning point in a missing person's case that had been going in nowhere. For the first time since March fourteenth, investigators were no longer working in the dark. They had a place to look, and they had a reason to believe that what they were going to find there would answer the question that had been unanswered for weeks at that point. So after the initial arrests were made, investigators returned to Rancho Santa Alana with a very clear objective to search the property in its fullest, and his officers moved further onto the property. One of the first things that stood out wasn't something they saw, No, it was a different sense that kicked in. It was something they smelled. The odor was strong enough to be noticeable before they even reached the main structure. It was the smell of decomposition. Inside the shack on the property, they found what appeared to be the ritual space. The room contained items that had already been mentioned during questioning, objects tied to the group's beliefs, the system, and all these tools that had a very clear and practical use, things like machetes, tape, and other materials that indicated restraint and control. And at the center of that space was the naganga, the pot that had been described by the members of the group used to perform these satanic adjacent rituals. Inside of it was a mixture of materials, including animal remains and what investigators would later confirm to be human tissue, which was Marx brain matter.
Speaker 2: Oh frick, this some of the most disturbing shit I've ever heard listening to this.
Speaker 1: The search then expanded beyond the structure and into the surrounding land. Investigators soon began digging in area that had been identified during questioning. The soil had been disturbed in multiple locations, and it didn't take long for bodies to start being found in shallow graves across the property. Some were intact, others had been dismembered, and many shown signs of having been killed using methods that matched what had already been described by those were in custody. As more graves were uncovered, it became very clear that this wasn't a single incident. They had stumbled upon. The number of victims indicated that the property had been used repeatedly over time for these rituals. But among the remains recovered during that search was one that matched the description investigators had been given the American who had been brought to the ranch. The body had been buried along with the others, but specific details allowed forensic teams to begin the process of identification. Now that process would take time, but at that point investigators already understood the likelihood of what they were dealing with. These were likely the remains of Mark Kilroy. Now, once the ranch was secured and the initial search began producing bodies, the investigation shifted quickly from discovery into building a case. The people who had been taken into custody at Rancho Santa Elana were no longer being questioned about just drug activity. They were now being questioned about murders. At first, the information came in pieces. Those arrested did not immediately give full accounts to what had happened. Yes, some accounts came out, some said things, and it led investigators to discover all this, But they were also minimizing their involvement and tried to deflect responsibility to others, and several contradicted each other. But the thing was As questioning continued, and as investigators began confirming details through the evidence found on the property, then the consistency between their statements started to increase. The pressure was being put on and they started saying, well, actually this happened, or this is how it played out, that sort of thing. Now, the structure of the cult became very clear. They identified Adolfo Constanzo as their leader, the one giving direction and making decisions about when and how the rituals were to be carried out. Investigators also learned of Sarah Aldatre, who was also confirmed as his second in command, someone who was directly involved in organizing and reinforcing the group's actions. Other members were described in terms of their specific roles too, with people like drivers or guards or participants in rituals themselves. Was very clear that this wasn't a loose group. It was highly organized and structured. More importantly, the confessions began to align with what had been found at the ranch physically. Details about the shack, the tools that were used, the presence of the naganga, and the burial sites all matched what investigators were seen during the search. That alignment gave weight to what was being said, and it allowed investigators to move forward with more confidence in the information that they were receiving. Now, among those statements were direct references to Mark. Now remember, at this point, his remains are still not one hundred percent confirmed to be identified. Several of the individuals in custody confirmed that an American male had been brought to the ranch in mid March. They described the circumstances of his arrival and the fact that he had been kept alive for a period of time, as well as the role of Adolpho and what he played once he was brought in. Now, those statements match the timeline investigators already had from the disappearance on March fourteenth. The only remaining step was confirming Mark's identification. Now, as the bodies were recovered from Rancho Santo Ilana and were processed, each set of remains had to be documented, examined, and if possible, identified, and given the condition of many of the bodies, that was not a very straightforward process. Time exposure in the way the victims had been handled made visual identification very unreliable in most cases. For mar confirmation. Eventually came through with dental records. Investigators worked with forensic specialists to compare the remains recovered from the ranch with the records provided by his family, and the remains matched, and just like that, the search went from a missing person to a confirmed homicide. At that point, now authorities knew exactly what had been happening at the ranch thanks to those who were questioned. However, they still had one missing link to this whole puzzle. Adolfo Constanzo was nowhere to be found. He hadn't waited around for investigators to catch up and reach him. Instead, once he knew that members of the group had been taken into custody and that the ranch was compromised.
Speaker 2: He vanished Great leader, hey right.
Speaker 1: And so the man hunt began, and it was no longer limited to the area around Madame Morose either. It expanded outward, moving across cities and regions where Adolpho was believed to have contacts. Remember, he'd spent years building relationships not just with followers, but with people connected to criminal networks, and those connections gave him options. He knew where to go, he knew who might help him, and he knew how to avoid being tracked easily, so with law enforcement working hard to try and follow those connections of Adolpho, investigators began piecing together his movements using information from people already in custody. Statements pointed to locations that he used before, places where he had conducted other rituals or met with clients. Each lead had to be checked out, and each location had to be searched, but the information was always always a step behind. By the time investigators reached one place, he had often already moved on, knowing that police would check there, and he's moving staying ahead of him. So during this period, Adolpho didn't stay locked down to one place for long. He shifted between safe houses, relying on people who were still loyal to him, or even those who were afraid to refuse him. The same control he had used within the group itself continued to work in his favor now, but even still the pressure was increasing. The whole discovery at the ranch had drawn significant attention, and with that came a coordinated effort to locate him. Authorities in Mexico took the lead, but the case had involvement from US agencies too. Due to the cross border nature of the crimes. Information was shared and the search became more focused, and one of the key strategies used by investigators was actually to track the people around Adolpho himself rather than trying to locate him directly. The associates were monitored, they were questioned and followed whenever possible. The idea that even if Adolpho remained out of site, the network supporting him would eventually lead right back to where he was, and that outside of the box approach began to produce results. See for example, if Adolpho needed a pack of cigarettes, while someone has to go get the pack of cigarettes right and the investigators used that to their advantage. So information started to point towards Mexico City, where it was believed that he had relocated. It was a logical choice. The size of the city made it much easier for him to blend in and it offered more opportunities to say hidden, compared to the smaller locations near the border. So investigators narrowed their focus, working through leads that placed him in a very specific area within the city, and by early May, investigators had narrowed it down to a specific apartment complex within Mexico City where Adolpho was believed to be hiding. Now the information came through the same method that had been working throughout the manhunt, tracking the people around him. Once one of his close associates was identified and followed, it led authorities directly to that location, so officers began working the area very carefully. Now they didn't rush the door immediately. Instead, they moved through the building and going through nearby units, going door to door, trying to confirm who is inside and avoid tipping Adolpho or whoever he's with off in the process. But at some point during that someone inside the apartment became aware of the police presence. Whether it was movement in the hallway, noised at the door, someone on watch seeing something that was suspicious and reporting it, or whatever. We don't know. It's unclear, but the situation shifted fast as Adolpho soon opened fire from inside his apartment at the authorities. Now officers ducked for cover outside and returned fireback as the scene escalated into a close range gun fight within the apartment complex. Shots were exchanged through the doorway in windows as police tried to contain the situation and prevent anyone from getting harmed. Or even escaping, and as the exchange continued, it soon became clear that Adolpho wasn't going to surrender. Inside the apartment were a small number of his remaining followers, including one of his closest associates, and with police surrounding the building in no clear way out, the situation reached a point where escape was no longer realistic or even possible, and Adolpho saw only one way out of the situation. He turned to his associates and gave a very direct order. Rather than being taken into custody, he told them to shoot him. The order was soon carried out, and he was shot inside the apartment before officers could enter and secure the scene. That same associate also shot another member of the group before police moved in and took control and found Adolpho and this other associate now dead inside. The man who had directed the killings at Rancho sant Ilana, who had built the cult group and controlled its actions, was no longer alive to be questioned or put on trial for his actions. The investigation led directly to him, but it ended without a court room, and so the folks of the case moved to the people who were still alive and already in custody. Those who were arrested at Rancho sante Ilana, and the others picked up in the days that followed formed the basis of the prosecution. Investigators had physical evidence from the ranch, detailed statements from multiple suspects, and confirmed identities of many of the victims, and among those charged, Sarah Aldatre stood out immediately. She was Adolphos second in command, and she had been directly involved in the structure and operation of the group. Her role went far beyond simple participation, as testimony and evidence placed her in a position of authority of power within this life cult, involved in the organizing, the activities, the reinforcing the belief system, all of this to justify the violence. Despite that, though her defense centered on denial, she rejected the idea that she'd taken part in the killings, claiming that her involvement had been misrepresented.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's hard to listen to this part where all these people are now getting caught and they're just like basically cowards, wasn't me yeah yeah, or taking it an easy way out instead of having to face what they've done.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I'm not going in and shoot me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's just I mean, it's expected obviously, but it's freaking brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you you nailed it. They're cowards. It's exactly what they are. They're not facing their own actions. They're killing people and would rather have themselves killed than face the repercussions of what they've done. I don't know if you heard, but it sounds like it just hit puberty. Yeah when I said that.
Speaker 2: I did hear that. I know. Well, they are just they obviously are very aware of what they've done. Oh yeah, you know, they know they've done some bad shit. But then they're not a true leader either, if they're not going to also just like face what's coming to them now.
Speaker 1: Exactly. No, that's one hundred percent. What kind of leader are you if you're not going to take that responsibility, if you're going to if you and your followers, if you're leading them through all this shit and they follow you, and then when it comes down to it, you're in a courtroom and you just deny, say no, I was a victim too, I'm I'm not a leader of these people. What kind of fucking leader are you? A captain goes down with the fucking ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like this shit is just bothering me really listening to all this now, But it isn't unexpected either, but it still is a piss off.
Speaker 1: I know. And even okay, I want to say one more thing, because the whole captain goes down with the ship thing. That's not even a belief system. That's just a management system, right, the captain stays right, that's just a leader. But this is to be a belief system. If this is truly your belief, why are you jumping ship and abandoning it? If this is truly something you believe in, why are you not standing for it? Why are you not saying that this is my belief and I will be here believing in what I believe and you can do to me what you want to do to me, but my belief will protect me.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, look at the things that these people made other people do. Yeah, and then now they're having to face consequences, and the leaders are just like, I'm.
Speaker 1: Out, fuck this shit, I'm out, yeah, h nope, not having it.
Speaker 2: It's very disturbing and very confusing, and I yeah, to be in that position of these people that are now going to have to face the consequences of their crimes really is just prick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it all boils back to exactly what you said already, fucking coward Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no other way to describe them.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's plenty other worlds, but I think that's a really good one.
Speaker 2: Yes, in this situation, there's no other way.
Speaker 1: Douche canoes is another great one.
Speaker 2: But cowards for them, like coping up, copping copping out, copying out, Yeah, copping out is it's cowardly, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Now. Other members of the group faced similar charges as Sarah did, too, though their roles varied. Some had been involved in carrying out abductions, others had taken parts in rituals themselves, and the trials focused on connecting those roles to specific acts. So prosecutors worked to show how each individual contributed to what had happened, using a combination of forensic evidence, witness testimony, and the confessions that had been given after the arrests. Ultimately, on May third, nineteen ninety four, Sarah was found guilty on multiple counts of homicide being connected to a criminal association, and in turn, she received a lengthy prison sentence. A total of sixty two years behind bars. Other members of the group were also convicted and sentenced based on their involvement. Now. One of the first actually to be sentenced came out in August of nineteen ninety when Alvaro delon Valdaz, also known as Al Dubi, was sentenced to thirty years in prison for the killing of Adolpho Constanzo and Martin Quintana Rodriguez during the Mexican the Mexico City standoff.
Speaker 2: Oh dang, yeah, I guess someone would have got charged for that. I didn't even think of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he was the one that Adolpho turned to and said kill me, and he did.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now, two other followers, Juan Carlos Fragoso and George Montes, were convicted on separate murder charges and received thirty five year sentences. The ranch caretaker, Domingo Rey's Bustamite, was accused of helping cover up what had happened at the ranch, but he was released in December of nineteen ninety after posting bond. On May third, nineteen ninety four, Sarah, of course was sentenced, and then Elio Hernandez Sara Fin Hernandez Junior Sergio Martinez Salinez and David Valindez. They each received sixty seven years in prison for their roles in the killings connected on the ranch. These were the people most directly tied to the structure around Dolpho, the ranch and the group's violence. Of course they were much more involved, but these are the main heavy hitters. There were also related cases involving people connected to the organization but not necessarily connected for Marx murder specifically. For example, Salvador Videl Garcia Alcoran was a federal judicial police chief and was indicted for drug trafficking on June second, nineteen eighty nine, after cult members linked him to Audolpho as a police contact. So, as you had mentioned earlier, potential of authorities being involved and corrupt, while there's one right now.
Speaker 2: Well, and he was a chief, yes, so yeah, there probably was a couple others potentially involved too, right under that.
Speaker 1: Well, I do want to make this clear, though he was not charged with Mark Kilroy's murder or the other killings carried out by the group, he was specifically indicted for drug trafficking. Okay, Now, even those outcomes, though the proceedings didn't answer every question with them. The evidence presented in court confirmed what had happened at the ranch and who had been involved, but it also painted a very broad picture of the environment in which these events had taken place. The connections to drug trafficking networks, the influence Adolfo had built, and the number of victims suggested that the full scope of the operation extended far beyond what could be addressed in a single set of trials. The legal process brought accountability to those who could be charged, but it did not fully close the case. See The discovery at Rancho Santelana and the confirmation of what had happened to Mark Kilroy didn't stay contained in the region. The case spread quickly across both the United States and Mexico, drawing attention not just because of the crime itself, but because of what it revealed. It exposed a connection between drug trafficking and ritual beliefs that many people were not aware of at the time, and it forced a closer look at how those elements were being used together. Now, for Mark's family, they were left with a void and the reality of what had happened. In the period after his death and after it was confirmed, they focused on understanding the case as much as they could, asking questions about his final moments and the circumstances surrounding how he had died. But at the same time they began to shift their focus outwards. They established the Mark Kilroy Foundation, using his name to support drug awareness and prevention efforts. The work centered on education, particularly for young individuals, and aimed to address the broader issue that had played a role in the environment where the crime and murder had occurred. That effort continued over time, growing into programs that reached beyond their immediate community and now in the end, when the investigation at Rancho sante Ilano was complete, authorities had recovered at least fifteen bodies from the property, including that of Mark Kilroy. Those were the victims that they could confirm an identity through the evidence found at the site, but even at that point, it was clear the number didn't tell the full story. Statements from those involved, along with the pattern of what had been uncovered, suggested the group had been active for longer and had likely killed more people than that were found at the ranch. Investigators believed the total number of victims could be as high as twenty seven, though not all of them were ever recovered or identified. For Mark, what started as a spring break trip with friends ended in a way no one around him could ever have predicted. His disappearance led directly to the exposure of a group that had been operating without detection, and in doing so, it brought attention to other victims who might have otherwise remained unknown, and also other potential victims who could have fallen to the same fate. And what remains are the victims now who were found, the ones who were never accounted for as well, and the understanding that this case was never just about one person, even though it began that way. Mark kilroy was twenty one years old. He was a pre med student with a very clear direction in front of him, someone who had done everything right and was exactly where he was supposed to be in life. And with him, it's hard not to think about what wasn't, the gaps that were never closed, and the reality that Mark kilroy should have gone home from spring break, he should have finished school, and he should have lived the life he was already building towards, but unfortunately he never got the chance. And that's the story of Mark Kilroyo.
Speaker 2: That's just so heavy in my frickin' heart just aches for Mark, like I how he died and what he went through. I know, just frickin' horrible.
Speaker 1: I know it's as you said, heavy, it's a good word. But I do want to point to this one thing. I kind of already mentioned it a little bit here, just a moment ago. I mean, Mark was this sacrifice in this ritual. And I'm not saying it's a good thing or I'm happy with the outcome of this, but Mark was a sacrifice for another reason, an unintentional reason. His sacrifice saved others from being part of these rituals too. If there wasn't this quote unquote American Caucasian male that was missing and connected to this ranch, they probably would have kept going. The officers would have got to this ranch, probably not have connected anything to murders, because it was the fact of this American being said to be there that I think likely actually opened the can of worms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they would have. I mean, they would have just progressed, really right, I think so. But with the body count, where some of those people potentially already like deceased, because you said they were kind of doing some like grave robbing, of sorts.
Speaker 1: It's hard to tell because there's remains that are unidentified.
Speaker 2: M M. Yeah, I mean, this is just freaking terrifying shit. But shit like this can happen literally anywhere.
Speaker 1: Oh it can. We hear of Satanic cults and stuff in North America, in Canada, United States, over across seas, in Europe or wherever.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, it's good that they were able to solve it and get it figured out and stop this from going on. But gosh, it's crazy to think that people are in an organization or cult or whatever and they they literally justify killing people in their mind.
Speaker 1: I think it's hilarious that you call an organization. I mean, it technically is, but it is not the word I would use to describe it.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. I almost don't even want to call it a cult. For some reason, organization feels better in my brain. I don't know why, because organizations are evil. I guess corporates. It was this corporate scheme to kill people, huh. But I mean, I think last episode I talked about how I've been kind of watching some cult stuff and it's just fascinating that you can be part of something that brings you to kill people, and it's justified in your brain. I know.
Speaker 1: Well, there's the two perspectives of it. There's being at the top, where it's you justify to yourself that we have to do this, and then there's the justification from those followers who say we have to listen to this person who says this. The fact that those two things can coexist and neither side questions or has doubt or thinks we shouldn't do this, it blows my mind. And there's so many instances where individuals step outside of those cults after it comes crumbling down and realize how horrible of a situation it was. And it takes so much for them to actually come to that perspective and realization that, oh my god, that was so wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, you did mention it too, And here I think it's often fear based, right, because if they questioned I don't even know what his name was, but if they questioned him, they would have been punished.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and it's not only that, but you brought this up too, like he's a god. You're not just questioning a person, you're almost questioning God. How can you question God himself? Yeah, it has to be true, it has to be right. Everyone else has to be wrong. They don't understand. So I understand the perspective and being wrapped up in it, but I don't understand how you can follow a god to the point because they believe clearly it's a god. I'm not saying he's a god. They believe. I don't believe. I don't. I can't fathom following someone you perceive to be a god and doing those horrific things.
Speaker 2: Where you're literally taking a twenty one year old man that's, you know, about to become a doctor, right, prime of his life? Yeah, well, I don't even know is twenty one prime of your life?
Speaker 1: I think twenties is technically pretty prime as far as I generally perceived.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's also cannot be the best time either anyway.
Speaker 1: And healthy prime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then just killing him just done, Like, uh, it's bonkers. It is so bonkers.
Speaker 1: Like for me personally, I could never follow a religion based like a god or anything where it promotes hurting hurting people that it doesn't make sense. I think that defeats the entire purpose of you know, what a religion is. It's supposed to be spirituality. It's supposed to be love and it's to be wellness. Clearly that's not what he's promoting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gosh, uh yeah, this one kind of it's going to be on my mind for I think a little while because it's terrifying to think that something like this just happens in real.
Speaker 1: Life, but it does, it really does.
Speaker 2: And then to also think about how Mark's parents even go about trying to move on from this. I couldn't even imagine losing a child and hearing how they died, and it was that way, I know, frickin' just brutal.
Speaker 1: So anyways, I'm not too sure how long that one was because we recorded a couple we had to stop a few times and like I fumble words or whatever, we have to redo, So I'm not sure how long this episode was. It was definitely a little bit longer normal. If you guys have some interest in what you want to say in regards to this case, shoot us a message. We read emails, messages, all that sort of thing. We get a lot though, so we can't always hit them all. But if you really want to get like a predominant spot, you can really connect with us. We always check and respond to our Patreon so you can sign up on a Patreon links in the description. Same with all our socials, but don't feel like you're pressured. We appreciate you being here, listening and supporting us. Either way, you're absolutely amazing. Thank you a million know what? No, thank you ten million times over.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, We super appreciate everyone that's here, super super duper super de duper appreciate. Also until next episode, stay Wicked.
Speaker 1: Thing, befo
Speaker 2: Oh